Runners & Other Oddities

Yeah I get it, this is where everyone will actually post.
Black Númenórean
Runners & Other Oddities:
Plaza Athletics Club!

Hello my fine and fit fellows! Considering how many of us around here are involved in physical activities/sport of some kind, I thought it might be nice to have a little club to hang out and talk about our adventures, activities, and training. It's got Runners in the title because running is my primary sport these days so that's my bias :grin: but all sports/activities are welcome.

Everyone is welcome here whether you consider yourself an "athlete" or not! Just starting out, or wanting to start out? Get in here! Elite athlete? Get in here! Some where in the middle? Get in here! Feel free to talk about your training, post pictures, ask questions, complain about the bad days, cheer others on, and generally hang out! You can also join us on the Plaza Strava Club if so inclined!

When joining please indicate your sport(s) or the sport(s) you aspire to, and any events you may be training for, so I can add you to the list!

Members:

Moriel
Running (mountain/trail/ultra/road if I must), scrambling, hiking, Kung Fu, stage combat, powerlifting, skiing (XC/Nordic)
Currently training for: Ras Cefyn Y Ddraig

Pele Alarion
Orienteering, rogaining, running, walking, and some other random stuff

Laintaen
Fire & staff spinning, running

Frost
Running (road/trail), hiking, rock climbing, basketball, powerlifting

Tarawen
Running (road), yoga (practitioner/instructor), snowboarding, bouldering, hiking

Nia
Running, swimming, skiing (alpine), football/soccer, cycling

Nerwen
Running, weight/resistance training, conditioning, yoga, hiking, bouldering, climbing

Almarëa
Ballet, stage combat, hiking, climbing, canoeing (instructor), swimming (lifeguard), archery, skiing (xc/Nordic, downhill/Alpine), figure skating, yoga

Lailorn
Cardio/interval training, strength training, hiking, yoga, rugby, badminton, squash

Amadhrill
Running, lifting weights, hiking, skiing (xc/Nordic, downhill/Alpine), orienteering

Hoglorfen
Dogsledding
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Black Númenórean
*SCREAMS* I've just entered an absolutely MASSIVE stage race in Wales, the Dragon's Back Race, for next September, 6 days and 380km from Conwy Castle to Cardiff Castle. Actually doing it is contingent upon my getting back to work so i can finish paying for it :googly: but I'm choosing to be optimistic about that.

High Warden of Tower
Oooooh, this is such a cool thread, Moriel! Definitely jumping in. :D

My sports: orienteering, rogaining, running, walking, and some other random stuff

I am currently not very fit and have collected much unnecessary weight, but still... preparing for a 6-hour rogaining race this Saturday, and my teammate says she will chase me at the highest speeds she can extract from me. :googly:

Black Númenórean
Haha! I believe in you!! And also applaud your teammate for her willingness to drive you on :lol: I'm not very familiar with regaining, is it just like very long orienteering? Or are there major differences?

High Warden of Tower
It is like an orienteering, but for teams. Usual timing is 3, 6, 8, 12 or 24 hours, and teams must plan their route and collect as many points as possible (each control has a specific value) within the set time. In orienteering, you individually visit controls in a specific order, and it is not supposed to be long (well, sometimes I end up roaming the woods for 3 hours).

Warrior of Imladris
It's not a sport but it could be termed physical activity. I do fire twirling. I can spin a long staff, and have basic skills in double staff. I haven't spun in ages as I only just got them out of storage but am determined to get back into it. There's a decent spinning community in my city, and I have taken classes with a guy who was rated the second best poi spinner in the world by someone on Youtube.

I'm trying to start running but it's early days and I doubt I'll ever get to kinds of distances Moriel and Pele can do.
I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
she / her

Black Númenórean
That's awesome, Laintaen! I have some skill at spinning due to years of training in stage combat, but I don't put nearly enough time into it and am a total amateur when it comes to real spinners. I hit myself a lot :lol:

Warrior of Imladris
There's a picture of me somewhere where you can actually see I've set my hair on fire.
she / her

Balrog
I knew there’d be more people than you thought! Anyway, I’ve been a cross country (mostly road but some trail) runner since I was in 7th grade; I love, but was never serious about, basketball; and while I haven’t been able to find a stable gym to really get going again, I’m a power lifter who found World’s Strongest Man competitions much more fun to watch than bodybuilding expositions.

<Frost edit how could I forget hiking and rocking climbing?! I love (and live for) both of them>
Last edited by Akhenanat on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Black Númenórean
Yessss I love this, sign me up!!

I'm a road runner, a yogi/certified yoga instructor, a snowboarder, and a boulderer. (Listed in order of skill, which means from fewest to most embarrassing incidents.) I also love hiking (would really love to hike more 14ers in the not so distant future) and wish I still had regular access to the mountains :cry:

In a past life (aka college) I also played organized ultimate frisbee. In other past lives in the much farther distant past, basketball ( :rofl: ) and volleyball.
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Fea
Oooh yay, sign me up too (have just joined the Strava group, so thought I better announce it here).

I'm trying to get into running; during lockdown I completed the 100k in May running challenge - which was a pretty big achievement for me - I normally go through phases of doing a few runs, and then none at all, so keeping it up consistently for 4 weeks was a pretty big deal.

Otherwise I swim, ski (Alpine), and have joined a football team with work (2 years in and I'm still essentially a complete beginner, and don't understand why I find kicking a ball so difficult). I also bought a bike over lockdown, so when we're allowed back to the office, I'm gonna officially be a cyclist-commuter (except when it rains :grin:).

Sage of Khazad-dûm
Most of my active sports are in the gym (running, weights, resistance, conditioning). I also love yoga and hiking, and a bit of bouldering and climbing but I'm really scared of it!
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

New Soul
*waves*

I am not a runner (at all :lol:) but I do other active things so hopefully that counts? Ballet, stage combat, hiking and climbing (I want to see mountains, Gandalf!), canoeing (instructor), swimming (lifeguard), and archery are the main ones. Occasionally cross-country or downhill skiing, figure skating, or yoga. Tend to fall into a seasonal pattern when it comes to most of these - e.g. archery, canoeing, swimming = summer; skating, skiing = winter.

I've tried a couple of times to learn how gyms work / how to lift weights properly, and have never really found either a place or an instructor that clicked, and I don't know enough about technique/form to really be comfortable lifting anything too heavy without guidance yet.
She/her. Almarëa - Rivendell / Jaena - Lone Lands (T.A.) and Gondor (F.A.) / Layna - Mordor

Ent Ancient
I wouldn't call myself an athlete especially compared to some of you ( :headbang: good work!) but I do try. I do cardio/interval and strength-training at home which is working out really well for me because all I have to do is change my clothes and get to it. I used to cycle to work but not at the moment...

My other favorite way to exercise is hiking! I'm very excited to be going on a backpacking trip this weekend for the first time in 7 years. I love yoga (for mind and body) and I am super proud I just did crow pose for the first time ever last week.

Besides those, I played rugby in uni and now I enjoy casually playing badminton and squash. I don't really play squash according to the rules or competitively but its such a good workout just trying to hit the ball!

Black Númenórean
Welcome everyone! What an array of different activities we all have between us :grin: I've added everyone to the OP, let me know if I missed anything!

@Laintaen Please find and post said picture if you're willing :googly: :rofl:

@Hoarfrost WSM!! I used to compete in powerlifting and find it exciting to watch, but have to say that strongman competitions like WSM win when it comes to entertainment value

@Zôrzimril I didn't know you were a yoga instructor! That's awesome!! My mom and stepdad are also certified instructors. I never really got into yoga but know so many people who love it and find it incredibly helpful and valuable, that's so cool that you teach it too!

@Nia Congrats on the 100k challenge!! Consistency can be so hard, especially under the current circumstances.

@Queen Nerwen Bouldering and climbing can be super scary!! I spend a fair amount of time scrambling in the mountains and and fortunate to not have a fear of heights, but sometimes the sweaty palms strike anyway. My strategy is to stop, breathe for a minute, then pick your line, trust yourself, and SEND IT!

@Almarëa Mordollwen In my entirely unbiased opinion, I say stage combat counts :tongue: If you weren't over there *gestures vaguely* I would love to help you out in the gym! It's not for everyone, but one of my favorite parts about my job is (or was, pre-pandemic :cry:) helping people who haven't been able to click with lifting before figure it out.

@Lailorn Congrats on the crow pose :headbang: It's tough and exhilarating when you manage to hold it!! Enjoy the backpacking trip!

Sage of Khazad-dûm
@Lailorn I love hiking too!

@Moriel @Almarëa Mordollwen Wish we could gym buddy that would be fun!!
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

Warrior of Imladris
For those interested in a photo of me fire twirling with my hair on fire, I've put it up on Discord.

https://discord.com/channels/7105638372 ... 7476918292
she / her

High Warden of Tower
There really is such a variety in all sorts of activities! :)

So, had 6 h rogaining today, and it turned out very successful - me and my teammate covered 31 km and gathered 81 points. Not too shabby, considering that this is the longest distance we have managed this far in 6 h rogainings.

Esquire of The Mark
I've been running more with the quarantine. Back in the way-back-times, as in not for years, I've also played soccer, tennis, and ultimate.

Not quite a sport, but I've done quite a bit of swing dance and also contra.
May the Horse be with you.

High Warden of Tower
Elvh, dancing is still a pretty good way of moving! :party:

Right, another 6-hour rogaining (or two), a half-marathon, 2 more trail running races and some more orienteering planned this year.

Balrog
Dead Runnings has officially canceled the Dia de los Muertos events which, while sad, was inevitable. Luckily I have a back up plan!!

On October 31st, I will be running the inaugural Frostian Solo Marathon! :party:
Sponsors to be announced :moon:
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Ent Ancient
Backpacking trip was really great. The first 30 mins and one steep ascent were the toughest bits. I'm really glad we went when we did because now its closed due to fires but it was so beautiful at the time!

I took last week off from workouts due to smoke and now its whooping my butt getting back to it again...amazing how such a short time can make a difference.

:headbang: Frost! Good for you!

High Warden of Tower
Reporting in. 95 points and 27 km in 6 hours, and... 80-year-old ladies beat our team fairly and squarely. :googly: I must admit being rather jealous of their energy and speed.

Black Númenórean
The little old ladies always come out of absolutely nowhere and just SMOKE us whippersnappers!!! I love them so much. I kept playing leapfrog with this lady probably in her late 60s on a trail race a few years ago, I was faster on the flats and downs but she absolutely murdered me on the uphills. I thought I had left her behind near the end and then she passed me!! We had a laugh about it at the finish :lol:

Esquire of The Mark
I love running! I just finished my first half marathon this year, so I just take off my hat for you, @Pele Alarion! And for 80 year old ladies! That is my goal, to still run half marathons and what not in my 80s!

I run several times a week and do various home workouts from youtube (*lol*), I loved going to the gym and lift weights and all, but I just can't prioritize the time it takes now, when the kids are older or something. I also enjoy hiking and skiing (cross country and downhill, I want to try Telemark skiing and do it in my national costume because it looked awesome during the Winter Olympic opening in 1994). With corona baring us from social obligations for a few months my family got hooked on orienteering, as the local orienteering club sets out posts and makes maps every year and leave them out from the snow vanishes untill it returns, is it called tour orienteering in English? Dunno... but even the 5 year old has done nearly all the posts that are up, so thats fun.

Oh, I love that this is another place I can brag about the half marathon I finished! Also, I do some yoga from time to time. Well done on the crow pose, @Lail ! I used to be able to, but now I fall on my nose too quickly :rofl:
Hælend of Meduseld

High Warden of Tower
@Amadhrill, 1/2 marathons are tough! Did you finish strong? Rogainings are sort of easier - more time, not that much running, though that is replaced by climbing over fallen trees, ditches, struggling through tall grass, underbrush and marshes... I ran my first half marathon last year, this year's is coming up on October 11 (if they won't cancel it), though I feel I am in a bad shape and not sure how I will finish it. Probably won't make it in 3 hours, though Polar watch insists I should finish in 2:43:00, but hey... it just might not know that I am a house mouse that has put on a lot of weight and has lost much strength.

Esquire of The Mark
@Pele Alarion I am very proud to say I felt that I finished strong! Since the Oslo marathon was cancelled, I did it all by myself, so I am all the more proud of that. Finished at 2:31 and still walked the 1.5K back home from my finish point, I think that was really wise (though purely done from a feeling of 'if I sit down now I will not be able to get up for a while' :lol:). And I was only sore for like 4 days...

I can see that rogaining is different, and running for 21K is freaking hard on the legs. I hope your run isn't cancelled! And finishing is such an accomplishment no matter, I think that all that running in the forrest will have you finishing it, will be interesting to see if you or your watch is correct :grin:

Edit: I had to search for that feature on my own polar watch, I dunno if I quite believe it, it says I am supposedly able to run it at 2:15, but I doubt that! Didn't even know about that feature, so thats neat!
Hælend of Meduseld

High Warden of Tower
@Amadhrill, I think Polar is always so optimistic about results. :grin: Never once achieved what it says.

Half marathon has not been cancelled, but... C-19 cases have rapidly increased in Latvia, so I am not sure I want to go, even though masks are mandatory in the start area. Besides, I'm afraid to drive into that city because I am not good in major traffic, and if I leave the car some ways off, it might be difficult to get there after - I would get cold, and running extra 5 km... just might not have that much strength. lol... And there's a promise of rain. So still thinking if I should even go, or just run it out wherever I am and forget about the participation money paid and the medal.

Scavenger
Does dog sledding count? :D Though it's mostly the dog doing the athletics, except when we get stuck in a tree or upside down in 100 cm deep snow because I miscalculated a turn and have to dig us out X( I do some skiing too, and hiking when the ground is bare.
Per viam, puto quod opus est mundo tumultus orcorum.

Esquire of The Mark
@Pele Alarion :lol:

I totally get your worry, I am glad they canceled the run so I didn't have to think about it! C-19 is ruining so much fun, but I try not to be fed up with it, because it will not do me any good. And a few good things have come out it, THE PLAZA IS BAAACK! And the family spent a lot of quality time in the forrest :lol: Oh walking (hahaha, I would NOT be able to run afterwards) an extra 5 Km after a half marathon is harsh! Well, you still have a day or two to decide on!

@Hoglorfen I've always heard that dog sledding is very hard work, at least it looks like it when you watch the Finmark race! And it looks like a lot of fun.
Hælend of Meduseld

Scavenger
@Amadhrill It is with a big sled and more dogs, then you can drive in deeper snow but often have to help the dogs. I only have one dog and a very light and flexible kicksled, so we stick to snow mobile tracks and mostly do shorter speed runs (around 10 km).

Black Númenórean
@Hoglorfen I day dogsledding definitely counts :googly: I used to work for an Iditarod musher tends to jump off and run behind the sled for ridiculous amounts of time, and have spent enough time behind the dogs myself (a small amount, but enough!) to know how physically challenging it is to stay balanced! So cool that you run dogs (or dog)!!

@Pele Alarion I feel you on making that decision, the 100 miler i was training for finally got their permit to go ahead, but I had already decided not to do it after all.. even if the race was conducted under as safe a circumstances as possible, which I'm sure it will be, it's still a large event and the travel involved also seemed an unnecessary risk, particularly as such a big exertion depresses the immune system! I say if you're stressing out about whether or not to go, that probably tells you what the decision should be :smooch: We'll celebrate you whether you go run the race, or just run it out on your own!

@Amadhrill Well done on your half marathon!! That used to be my race :grin: So much fun!

Adding our new folks to the OP now!

Balrog
The Frostian Solo Marathon is going to have to be a half marathon, I've dealt with too many stupid injuries this summer (knee, ankle, shins) to train regularly enough to build up the distance, but I know I can conquer a half marathon, even if I can't walk afterward but that's immaterial isn't it?

Warrior of Imladris
I am happy to say I've kept up with my running I started a month or so ago. After only being able to run about 200m the first day, I'm now up to 2.5km. Doubt I'll ever get to half marathon status and I'm currently only aiming for 5km. My city's annual fun run is usually in September but has been turned into a virtual thing this year.
she / her

Black Númenórean
You can do it Frost!! Revising expectations is the watchword (watch phrase?) of the 'rona times.

Nice Laintaen!! That's great progress! Steady wins the race :grin:

I'm coming up on a month off from running after re-injuring the ankle I sprained badly mid-summer.. I didn't plan to take that much time off, but after the planned couple of weeks, inertia, lack of motivation, and blah weather took hold and I just haven't gotten going again yet. But on the plus side, my kung fu school resumed in-person classes (we went to zoom in march) at about the same time with very limited class sizes (we're a small school to begin with, too) and strict safety protocols, so I've been able to get out of my living room and into the school for classes! I also started increasing the number of classes I'm going to as my tuition is a pass that allows me to take as many classes as I want, and, still being unemployed/the theatre industry being gone for the known future, I have all my evenings free. This week is my first week of taking 8 (!!) regular classes a week! Pre-covid I was taking two classes a week, then I went up to four over the summer, then last week added another, then this week three more :googly: Now my schedule looks like:

Sunday
Bagua

Monday
Bagua deerhorns

Tuesday
Mantis

Wednesday
Chen Tai Chi
Weapons

Thursday
Bagua
Mantis

Friday
OFF

Saturday
6 Harmony Mantis

We've been having lots of seminars over the summer while we can get outside too, and smaller ones in the school. We have the second half of an awesome Mantis form seminar this weekend, which means this week is actually nine classes for me :moon: Which if all the classes go to their full time is 12 hours of training :conga:

Not only am I super excited about ramping up my kung fu training in and of itself, I'm hoping that this will help me get back into gear with running! And on the days I don't run, I'm still training, which helps with the mental aspect of feeling like I'm doing enough, if that makes sense? As it gets darker and colder it's so easy to a. stay inside or/and b. feel like you're just holing up inside even when you are getting out to run.

Scavenger
@skekSil That's really cool! My pup's grandmother was in the winning team of Iditarod 2018. I'd love to compete because he's crazy fast, but there are no competitions for our particular gear (minimum number of dogs for sledding in Sweden is four) and my knees can't handle the speed on skiis. So we compete against the clock instead :)

High Warden of Tower
@Hoglorfen Dog sledding sounds like much fun! The idea of ending up upside-down in snow made me giggle, though might not be that fun to experience. I've ended up on my face in the snow once when I did not manage to take the turn when skiing down a hill.

@Iorek Byrnison I think half-marathon is tough enough! And that soreness is not that bad... satisfaction after having finished the race makes up for it.

@Laintaen Never say never! You seem to be making a good progress. Heh... I started with running 1 minute... quit a few times when I reached 10 minutes twice because it seemed impossible, then half an hour seemed difficult, an hour...

@skekSil Uhhhh. That is a busy schedule! Do you have time to breathe? ;)

So my half marathon was cancelled, but they still had it virtual and will send medals and such. I was very relieved, and just ran my race an hour or two ago. Have to go back and cheer for my friend/rogaining teammate - she will be finishing her marathon soon.

@Amadhrill So... Neither Polar nor I were right about the result. Though... Polar is closer and off only by 10 minutes or so. Somehow I managed to get a personal best at 2:54:05 and improved my last year's result by 5 minutes. Have to admit that my calculations were much more amiss as I thought I'd end up running for 3 and a half hours at best. There was a tough length of very coarse asphalt for a few kilometres, and I lost much speed there - and it was painful on the legs. Who knows, if not for that...

Esquire of The Mark
@Pele Alarion Woop, woop! Well done and well finished! Did you end up on a solo run or did you run the planned race? Congrats on a new personal best, must feel good to run less then three hours when you were prepared for much longer run!

@skekSil I have no idea what half of what you wrote is, okay, make it 5/7 :lol: But that sounds like a good way to stay busy and lots of fun as you are kung fu fighting like in the song in my mind ;)

@Laintaen That was me a few years ago! So now, when I go out and run a really long run (that is any run of 9K or more, however slow), I am really, really proud, because it is not that many years ago that running 5 K was close to impossible and 10K was ridiculous long, and I am so proud of my hard work! I've done my share of working myself up to a 5 K and then quite to, so hang in there (and don't progress too fast if you legs are like mine, shin splints... blah!)

@Ignis Gehennalis Injuries are stupid, throw rocks at them! Well, the runner in me says, run for it! You can always hobble for a few days, that just shows how great you did, right?!
Hælend of Meduseld

High Warden of Tower
@Amadhrill Ran with my friend, or rather tried to keep her in sight - she went for a marathon. We had chosen some 10 km distance along the road from one village to the next, and I managed to follow her in one direction, but that silly patch of rough pavement made me slow down, so I lost her from sight on the way back. Registered the result on the official website and found that I was not the last. Have to wait and see how and when they will send the medal.

High Warden of Tower
*prods the thread up* Anyone still doing sports? :D

Black Númenórean
I’m still running! Currently training to run another half marathon (not organized, just by myself given the pandemic). I’m also still doing yoga on non-running days!
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Fea
My football started again last Thursday! :grin:

Am also am hoping to get off my backside before 31st and run another 24km to get myself over 400km of running this year (and also another 88km of cycling to get me to 400km on that front too!)

High Warden of Tower
I'll run 5 km 'race' on Sunday, sort of to finish off one training programme, and start up another (for 10 km). There are lots of virtual challenges on the official Riga marathon site, so that is fun and motivating too. Should practice map reading maybe while running...

But it is great to hear that C-19 hasn't destroyed all the activities! :D

Snaga
I'm currently very out of shape, but I'm a runner when I'm not! I did my first marathon early this year (so it feels like 10 years ago) and plan to do another one once the world is less crazy.

I do occasional yoga as well. I cycle, but more as a means of transportation rather than exercise.

Fea
That's awesome, Uruva. When I reached my peak lockdown running (back in May), I was vaguely thinking a half marathon may finally have been a vaguely achievable aspiration for me at some point. But to do that once, and then immediately do it again? Nope. And sadly to do it once has gone back to being a bit of a nope for the time being. I still need to do 24km to hit 400 this year, and the days are passing...

Snaga
I felt the same way about my first half marathon. I did it and thought to myself "well that was fun, but there's no way I could do a marathon that's for sure." And yet, here I am.

Fea
Well I won't completely rule myself out for trying a half marathon in 2021. But I'm very in awe of anyone who has run a marathon (tbh I'm in awe of half-marathon completers too) :thumbs:

I also would like to add that I originally read your last sentence wrong, and thought you were saying you largely used yoga as a form of transportation, and I was thinking that yoga over there sounded like a whole different kettle of fish to what yoga over here is like.

Fea
I've only tried yoga once but it didn't really work so well with me and the metal rods in my spine and stuff. I tried gallantly to do the thing where you sort of lie on your back and then with your arms on the floor you try to launch yourself into some sort of shoulder stand (I know absolutely none of that description is an accurate depiction of what was supposed to be occurring). I kinda made it work, but after that I took an executive life decision not to try it again.

Warrior of Imladris
I made my goal of a 5km run at the start of December. Now I guess I'm aiming for 7.5km, just so I can say "I don't need to do Corporate Cup, I can already run that far" when it rolls around later this year.

I'm going to join a gym this year that has a lap pool so I can get back into swimming. I love swimming.

@Pele Alarion - A few weeks ago, I asked someone at work what he did on the weekend and he asked "Do you know what rogaining is?" I'm so proud I was able to say yes.
she / her

High Warden of Tower
@Laintaen, ah perfect! I suppose he has seen many a confused gaze when saying that he does rogaining. Now I am tempted to go and found some of my favourite rogaining pics.