Runners & Other Oddities

Yeah I get it, this is where everyone will actually post.
Loremaster of Gondor
I've been out of practice for a while since I'm still recovering from the after-effects of the dreaded pandemic that shan't be named, but I box bare-knuckle (and no, that doesn't just mean 'HOOLIGAN', it is a sport :lol: ) and am starting to learn stage combat and archery. I have a judo background from my earlier childhood, and I also love playing tennis and rugby (both of which I'm decent at but by no means anything special)!

Oh, and I occasionally take part in badminton and swimming when it suits my schedule. I also do a fair amount of weight training as part of my boxing training, so I guess that counts as a separate one? :smile:

Fea
I've been persuaded to join a group of friends who are all going to try to run at least 1000km this year. I'm noting this here so that I can either a) come back in a year's time, and (very excitedly, I'm sure) reference this post and claim my personal success, OR b) I can just choose to ignore this post, which will hopefully be nicely buried on the 2nd page of this thread by then. :grin:

High Warden of Tower
@Dunulf That's a lot of various stuff!

@Nia 1000 km requires quite a bit of running; last year I did 1243 - and it allowed for no long lazy periods. lol... Will have to make sure to keep you accountable or something? :P

Fea
@Pele Alarion I think having someone holding me to account for this will be very helpful! I had a
pretty lazy first 9 days, and have since being trying to get back on trajectory. According to Strava I'm now 1.6km behind plan, so getting there! Maintaining it for the next 50 weeks is going to be a test though! :lol: 1,243 is amazing! Over 4 times what I achieved last year! Are you going to try for a similar distance run this year?

High Warden of Tower
I am mostly just following training schedules + rogaining and orienteering races, so it comes up to it. I don't even attempt to reach a particular number.

High Warden of Tower
@Nia How far are you with your running goals? :wink: I have currently managed to run 81 km + about 13 km of cross-country skiing.

Fea
@Pele Alarion thanks for the check in! Currently at 76km, and apparently 13km ahead of plan. 23 days done, 342 to go! :grin: Love that you've got some skiing in.

Esquire of The Mark
I really want to get back into running, but because of my hip, I'm not able to. It's really a shame because I think regular exercise would help with how I've been feeling cooped up in the house, plus running is such a general stress relief. I'm hoping by the summer I can start running again, cause I would love to run competitively again next year.

Fea
Yeah, I definitely think the fact it's helped expel feelings of cabin fever are why I've got into it in such a big way so far. That really sucks about your hip though, I hope it recovers for you in time for summer. What competitive running did you used to do? I get a bit too much of an adrenaline rush if I see a pedestrian ahead that I think I might eventually have to overtake :lol: .

@Pele Alarion - we finally got snow here today! It has mostly all disappeared now, but I did see a set of skis make an appearance. I think the owner of the skis was being slightly optimistic about their chances of having an actual ski, but it did made me think of you.

High Warden of Tower
@Ta'leus Shieldsong Can you do any strength training or stretching at least to keep yourself moving?

@Nia The snow was gone, but now it is back again, though a bit too sticky to attempt skiing. Must wait and see. Ending January with 125 km, which is the highest number of km in January (I have been keeping track of my running attempts for 10 years now - gave up several times in the beginning when 2 x 10 minutes seemed too much). You're doing great too, so I think 1,000 should not be a problem if you keep this up. :grin:

Esquire of The Mark
I've been doing bodyweight exercises and some stretching. Physical therapy twice a week too! So it's getting better, I think. Still might need surgery though so who knows what will happen.

Ent Ancient
@Dunulf - another rugger! I played rugby, though quit about ten years ago, I loved it. I was no good at it but it was really fun. I love watching it. Any position you usually play(ed)?

@Ta'leus Shieldsong, I've had chronic hip pain for years and finally made progress with it with PT in the last few years after no one could really figure out the problem. It is no fun that's for sure. I hope with PT you see some improvement soon.

I'm still keeping up with my usual stuff and I am very excited to say that although I could feel the results, I have concrete proof of my efforts now in the form of lower blood pressure (which was my main goal) and have lost weight (ok, that was a secondary goal) and I am very excited about it! So, everybody, keep up the good work, doing whatever you can do! you got this!!

High Warden of Tower
@Ta'leus Shieldsong Definitely sounds like you are on the way to recovery and not at all just sitting motionless all the time. :grin:

@Lailyn For many years I only gained weight even with all the running; suppose stress-eating doesn't help. Slowly making the way back down those kgs though.

Also, I still wonder how to combine running with RP; wondering if 'Walk to Mordor' thing could be used to actually RP through the kingdoms. lol

Ent Ancient
I'm pretty stoked about it now I just have to keep it off/try to lose just a little more if I can. My main fitness goal was to improve cardiovascular health because I am not getting any younger.

Another contributing thing could be the fact that I have the opposite stress response and completely lose my appetite so maybe the last year has been weirdly helpful as awful as that is? @Pele Alarion all your rogaining and running rocks and is super impressive to me! I just don't know how you runners do it! I get so bored. When I used to run I would almost always plateau and then get sick of it and stop. I was constantly starting and quitting, just wasn't for me, but its great when you find the right things that do work for you.

I'd love to see this run across ME to Mordor RP idea pan out... :grin:

Loremaster of Gondor
@Lailyn I assume you've been keeping up with the Six Nations then? As for position, I'm usually an outside centre but I can be a reasonable replacement scrum-half or fullback. What made you quit, if you don't mind me asking?

Ent Ancient
@Dunulf :headshake: I haven't!! I keep up more with Tri-Nations (I think now called the Rugby Championship with the addition of Argentina) and New Zealand Super Rugby. Its hard to find on TV in the US though which is a shame.

I don't mind at all! I quit because I had one concussion too many so I decided to save my brain for the future. I could never get into playing touch rugby, its just not the same. Scrum-half and fullback both seem like they'd be so much fun to play but far too complicated/skilled for me (I can't kick a ball to save my life). I mostly played wing and sometimes outside center.

Loremaster of Gondor
@Lailyn That's fair, as a Brit it's pretty hard to get coverage of the Rugby Championship and Super Rugby over here, so Six Nations and the Rugby Premiership is all we've really got to look forward to. Hopefully, if it becomes safe to do so, my university could get inter-college rugby going again - I miss being pitchside!

Oof, yeah concussions aren't much fun. I've had a few but not enough of a brain to start off with that I got particularly worried. You're definitely right about touch rugby not being the same. It's very fast-paced, which can be fun, but it always feels to me like it's lacking that element that sets rugby apart from other sports. As for kicking, I'd say I'm reasonable, just don't expect any stellar grubber kicks or anything much more complex than a box kick or hoof down the pitch :lol: Winger is a tough position to play, I remember ours got targeted pretty heavily by opposition forwards in the tackle.

High Warden of Tower
@Lailyn I do occasionally feel bored on long runs, but orienteering and rogaining is too adventurous to be boring. :grin: I wonder if people would participate if I did manage to get a walking/running and RPG crossover going.

Eh, I am not sure I really understand the rules of rugby. :lol: Well, sort of, but not as much as to enjoy watching it with great understanding of events.

Ent Ancient
@Dunulf ohh I hope you have fun when rugby starts back up again! Yes! Rugby just isn't rugby without tackling and rucks - two of my favorite parts of the game. Nowadays I'm too old for all that anyway! :lol:

@Pele Alarion, rogaining sounds like the coolest thing ever but I'd never be able to hack it. It took me a really long time to understand the rules of rugby and I still get confused. Playing helped. I knew nothing about it (besides thinking it was that crazy sport where people tackle each other without padding/helmets) before I joined.

High Warden of Tower
I don't think I'd want anyone tackling me. :lol: So prefer watching any such sports instead of participating. Gathering km seems to be a better option, though there's a fair chance of gathering some injuries anyway (even if by slipping on ice and falling).

Loremaster of Gondor
@Lailyn Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it! You're never too old for rugby, at least not spectating.

@Pele Alarion I was lucky enough to grow up around it so it's always seemed like second nature, although I can completely understand why it would be confusing :lol:

Ent Ancient
Yes, that is true, @Dunulf ! I do love watching.

@Pele Alarion - yeah being tackled is not the most fun. There are aspects I certainly don't miss. But you're right, you can get injured doing anything.. please be careful out there on the ice and snow and keep up the great work!

I had been hoping to get back into some indoor sports again this winter but I've opted to just keep doing at-home/outdoor stuff. My hiking has dropped off a lot with all the rain/closed forests due to fire damage/snow closing roads/flooding/always seems to be something but I still managed to get a few shorter ones in. Any time spent in the woods/in nature is time well-spent if you ask em.

High Warden of Tower
Oh yes, woods! It seems that ice and snow has melted, so I might choose to do some running out there occasionally instead of city streets, beach and park. No idea whether there will be any races this year, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't be motivated to improve my fitness.

High Warden of Tower
Ha... so much has been lost here!

New Soul
*gathers up what has gone lost and pastes it in* :lol:
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Esquire of The Mark
I RAN A HALF-MARATHON! 2:15:30 is the official time, and I am soooo proud (and a bit sore, could've been worse :lol:). Yes I just popped in to brag about it.

And I have just a little over 150km left to run 1000km this year, I think that should be possible.

How are you all doing?
Hælend of Meduseld

High Warden of Tower
Oh wow, @Amadhrill ! That is an awesome time, and I am a bit envious. :lol: 150 shouldn't be much - there's still a lot of time this year.

I'm still trying to grab what orienteering and trail running races I can as the seasons approach the end and before the government decides it is time for everyone to sit at home.

Fea
Nia wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:27 pm I've been persuaded to join a group of friends who are all going to try to run at least 1000km this year. I'm noting this here so that I can either a) come back in a year's time, and reference this post and claim my personal success, OR b) I can just choose to ignore this post, which will hopefully be nicely buried on the 2nd page of this thread by then. :grin:
So I didn't factor in plaza outages when I wrote the optimistic assumption that page 2 would be buried. However, I am currently sitting on 790km, and am meant to be prepping for another half marathon in November, so I think I'm probably still good [insert fingers crossed emoticon here].

And huge congrats Amadhrill!! :headbang:

New Soul
Amardhrill: I am fine, just back from a long walk in town for a couple of necessities. How are you?

High Warden of Tower
Just for accounts, I've reached 963 km this year, so might relax for three months unless I had taken on the challenge of doing marathon training.

High Warden of Tower
Also, for the record. Caught a cold, so had to take some time off to rest, and thinking that I'll just let go of that marathon training programme and switch to 5 k for the cold season (or a part of it at least).

Fea
Nice work! & Hope the cold passes quickly. I caught one a few weeks back and had forgotten what it felt like - it floored me.

For my own update, I'm at 879km for the year, and working towards my second half-marathon on 7th November. After that, I expect I'll be somewhere in the vicinity of 950km, at which point I plan to ease myself over the 1,000km mark in a nice relaxed, mince-pie and mulled-wine fuelled trudge :grin: .

High Warden of Tower
Hah... I thought my season was over, but then 'Talsi Mile' organisers said that all who complete 8 out of 15 rounds get a participation medal. Rushed over there because I had 7 - even though didn't feel 100% well - and got a 3rd place in my age group because the lady who could have taken it did not come. Her own fault. :tongue: But my body was not happy, and I'm still struggling to get rid of the remaining sore throat and such; will take a rapid C-19 test just to be sure though I'm rather confident that I've simply taken on too much of everything and exhausted myself.

Also, currently at 1,050 km.

New Soul
Nia: That's a good achievement!

Pele: I know you're a talent. Keep it up!

High Warden of Tower
Well, summed up all my distance-based activities for the last year and separated orienteering from running:
Running: 1064.08 km
Orienteering/rogaining: 149.4 km
Walking: 499.02 km (probably more, sometimes forgot to set my watch)
Cross-country skiing: 34.97 km
Bike: 3.18 km (borrowed my brother's bike for a quick ride once)
Total: 1750.65 km

Trying to start up the new year's activities properly now. :lol:

High Warden of Tower
Reporting that orienteering season has started. 2 races already done. Much improvement wanted.

High Lord of Imladris
I did something stupid. I am Sam Gamgee-ing this (as I am Sam shaped) and signed up for the full Conqueror LOTR challenge... And I have every intention unless the Shire one goes absolutely horrible) of doing the long mode which is the full fellowship milage.... if the shire goes to hell in a handbasket at 145 miles.... I will be doing the 'story' version that we see in the movies instead of the books.

My average KM is currently 8 per week I have to double that but I also don't tend to carry my phone with me when I am outside walking traveling so I now have a lovely water resistent baggie for it that goes over my shoulder that can hold a water bottle.
Sereg a Dîn

High Lord of Imladris
I have made 12 km of steps (thanks to this recent Blizzard i have been bodying a snow blower through wet heavy snow for 2 and a half hours I broke the pin that holds a wheel on so taking a break to fix that before I start again....I am abandoning my Prius to its fate for now it is stuck behind an 8 foot wide 10 foot long and 4 foot high drifts that has the garage blocked off I am dying please send the Eagles lol
Sereg a Dîn

High Warden of Tower
Grabbing all the orienteering options I can, but got flu, so trying to build up again. High heart rate, lack of strength when running. Meh.

High Warden of Tower
Well, not much left in this year's active season, a few more orienteerings and trail runs, perhaps. And maybe one 6-hour rogaining in November. I have not done well this year, have missed many races either because of having a cold, or because no car available to get places, have put on unnecessary weight of 10 kg, lacking in strength, endurance and flexibility. Suppose, will finish this year somehow and start fresh in preparation for the next sporting season.

Fea
You and me both, Pele! I've had a bit of a lapse this year, BUT I have officially got a place on the London Landmarks half-marathon again, which is next April, so hopefully you'll begin to see something of an uptick in my Strava activities in the coming months (& please do call me out if you've seen nothing by February :grin:)

High Warden of Tower
@Nia But you do run park runs! :grin: Tell me I am not mad to sign up for a 5 km trail race next Sunday when I plan on starting up running next week after a month off due to feeling poorly. lol... Might jog at a slow training pace or something.

High Warden of Tower
I see in Strava that you are holding up well, @Nia . :grin: FAST running! I look at my results and go meh - no way I can reach 1000 km in the last remaining days; first time in 6 years under 1000. *pout* Ah well.

Fea
Sorry, sorry, sorry @Pele Alarion - I am alive on here as well as Strava! You did MUCH better than me last year if you were close to 1,000km! :clap: I think I got to c.250km, and Strava was very keen to keep me informed that this was 750km less than 2021 :thumbsdown: . Anyway, plan for this year is a moderate 500km - but if I head towards 1,000km, ace. Got my 3rd half-marathon in April, so gotta keep things going at least until then!

Do you have any Parkruns near where you live?

High Warden of Tower
Yay, @Nia ! Good to see you. :grin:

I often had colds and such last year, and only did one rogaining (even though the longest, 24 h one) instead of usual 5-6 per year - after all each rogaining is about 20+ km.

Nah, no parkruns here, and I do my training runs by myself and use it as means to relax and let my brain rest from all the translation. I do usually participate in trail run competitions, but it only starts in spring. And orienteering races. Slowly trying to build up km again, and finally got myself to doing more strength and stretching exercises to supplement all that running.

New Soul
I am mentally running and not stopping... :rage:

High Warden of Tower
Have you settled a bit, Aiks? Physical running helps me keep myself sane after spending hours at the comp. Orienteering season has started as well, the first two races went reasonably well.

Balrog
The marathon training has begun. The Dia de los Muertos Marathon Run is at the end of October so I have roughly 4 and a half months to go from half marathon ready to marathon ready.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
Pele: Sorry for not responding, but it has been a busy time. Yes, I am settling bit by bit, with a good plan. How is your summer? Still doing your runs?

High Warden of Tower
@Laurence Way to go! I still haven't managed to complete a marathon training, let alone run it. Rogainings don't really count...

@Aikári Salmarinian Do take care. :) Yup, running, orienteering, trying to work out and stretch a bit more consistently.