Who have (started) rereading the books/rewatching the movies?

Yeah I get it, this is where everyone will actually post.
Esquire of The Mark
I am curious (and bored on my train ride), who here have reread the books or rewatched the movies again since returning?

I hadn't looked at the LOTR book for at least a decade, but after returning here I had to read it again. And I want to watch all the Peter Jackson trilogy again, just started with the Fellowship. Anyone else done the same or is it just me who have returned to my nerdy late teens and 20s? :googly:
Hælend of Meduseld

New Soul
I've finished rereading LotR in March of 2019. No, my memory is not that awesome :lol: I had to check both my Goodreads and my blog, because I remember I wrote a post for the blog about reading the trilogy 20 years later. I've reread The Hobbit in April this year, and I'm planning on tackling The Silmarilion next month (time permiting).

Honestly, I need like minded company to rewatch the movies again. They're awesome and amazing, but I got used to marathon watching EE versions of the movies with friends who are Tolkien fans and it's not the same watching them alone.
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Esquire of The Mark
Nope, definately not the same watching FotR movie edition while tackling a mountain of laundry :rofl:
Hælend of Meduseld

Orc Chieftain
I rewatched the Extended Edition of FotR a couple of weeks ago (probably shortly after coming back here). Though I upgraded to Blu-ray about five years ago, I still own the DVD box set of LotR but no longer have any of the Hobbit movies (no room, since I have many other fandoms). Once I got the Internet at home (and a new laptop that my parents bought me last Christmas, which was totally unexpected, but with this pandemic going around, they didn't want me using the library ones), I recycled my Blu-ray player (It wasn't broken, just seemed to be interfering with my modem) and just use my PS4 for everything (games, movies, TV shows on disc, etc). I probably won't buy a PS5 until my PS4 is on it's last legs (I heard the next version will be backwards compatible so that I don't have to replace all my games. Not that I have that many, but still). :smile:
He who commands the Ruling Ring... commands all

Warrior of Imladris
Lots of folk have begun a re-read - check out the Lore forum to join in.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Loremaster of the Herd
Seconding @Lirimaer -- the reread is beginning Two Towers soon!

I've actually just finished a different reread with a book club, but I haven't watched the movies in a couple of years. I've been meaning to get around to them, but it's just such a chunk of time, you know?
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Esquire of The Mark
Thanks for the tip, @Lirimaer and @Androthelm ! I am not sure if I can manage to get totally up to par, but yay!
Hælend of Meduseld

Storyteller
I've been re-reading the Silmarillion. Yes I said that a while ago, but I am a very slow reader these days. I've enjoyed it immensely so far though.

I have recently re-watched the extended editions of both LotR and The Hobbit. It was my partner's first time watching them so it was fun in that aspect. I had never actually watched The Battle of the Five Armies, so that was a first. I bought the EE blu-ray of that when it first came out but I had never opened the shrink wrap. Unfortunately the cardboard slip inside the packaging was sticky-taped to the front cover (which is also cardboard), and even though I peeled it off really slowly, it tore the front of some of the cover off, which really pissed me off because it was such a silly way to package something. But it was a metaphor, I think, for how chaotic and silly that movie turned out to be. :lol: Still, I'm a collector and I hate having damaged things, so I will actually probably buy a new one.

New Soul
Amadhrill wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:09 pmNope, definately not the same watching FotR movie edition while tackling a mountain of laundry :rofl:
But what if the mountain of laundry is the mountain of you shall not pass laundry? :lol:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Esquire of The Mark
@Dwimmerlaik I tried reading the Silmarillion when I was 14 I think, I still haven't gotten over my fear for it. Though maybe now, on a Kindle with a good dictionary and a lot of love for the Hobbit and the Lotr I might try it again.

@Nessa Saelind feels like it:rofl:
Hælend of Meduseld

Storyteller
@Amadhrill, it's amazing to read it again with fresh eyes. The reason why it's been such slow going though is because I refuse to read it without maps handy (I use the Atlas of Middle-earth), and I constantly find myself googling names to remind myself who is who again and how they're related. 😛 I have such a distracted mind these days that I have to do that.

Elven Enchanter
I tried to do the LotR read through with people, but quickly got behind and I honestly haven’t had the motivation to catch up. Watched the EE versions of the LotR with my roommate in August as she hadn’t seen them. And earlier this year, a couple of us watched the EE versions of Hobbit together over the internet - purely to make fun of them.

Warrior of Imladris
Dimcairien Luiniel wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:26 pm I tried to do the LotR read through with people, but quickly got behind and I honestly haven’t had the motivation to catch up.
So much this!! :flail:
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Esquire of The Mark
I am really enjoying trying to catch up and reading everyones comments, but I can see that its also a bit stressing if its not the right time for it. After a week of vacation I am at least closer :googly:
Hælend of Meduseld

Dúnadan
Dimcairien Luiniel wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:26 pm I tried to do the LotR read through with people, but quickly got behind and I honestly haven’t had the motivation to catch up. Watched the EE versions of the LotR with my roommate in August as she hadn’t seen them. And earlier this year, a couple of us watched the EE versions of Hobbit together over the internet - purely to make fun of them.
I can't even imagine sitting through the EE hobbit movies, the normal length was hard enough to get through!

I actually reread the Lord of the Rings earlier this year, before Frost told me that NuPlaza was a thing, which was really fortunate! I'm making my way through the Silmarillion now, very slowly but getting there!

Ent Ancient
I'm doing the Plaza re-read. Anyone who fell behind or hasn't joined in yet, please know you are more than welcome to go comment on old chapters as you catch up! I know I'm not the only one happy to revisit prior stuff so please pop by whenever you feel like it.

I also read Tor's Silmarillion Primer for an entertaining refresh on the old stuff since I don't think I have the energy/attention span to re-read the whole actual Silmarillion anytime soon.

I haven't watched the movies in years but I have made an agreement with my non-fantasy loving partner that if I ever finish writing my first book draft, he will sit down and watch them with me. I won't lie - sometimes that is the driving momentum for me to keep trying... :lol:

New Soul
Christopher Lee was reported to have begun a reread every Sept. 22nd — the Bagginses birthday. He also met JRR Tolkien in life.

I started a reread this Sept. 22, which I’m taking rather slowly to savor.
fka Ann Kalagon, Hyandaner

Mae Govannen, my friends!