Bibliophiles (Un)Anonymous

Yeah I get it, this is where everyone will actually post.
Sage of Khazad-dûm
Hi everyone
Thought we could do a little book club, or sharing of books. Anything books. Tell me about books. Show me pictures of books. Last year I met Alan Lee and I nearly cried on him (poor man) but it was worth it and he was the best ever ever.
-Nerwen.

Our Good reads group https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/10 ... ding-group
Last edited by Nerwen Nuke-queen on Sun May 24, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Healer of Imladris
I already mentioned this in the Ringwraith Review but Katherine Arden`s Winternight trilogy was a high point of last year. One of my other recent favorites We, the Drowned, Carsten Jensen, I think I actually found via Fir on Goodreads.

I`ve been living in Japan since 2016 (which is also why I can`t find a proper apostrophe key on this keyboard!), so my access to English book events and used bookstores is few and far between. I miss it a lot, and finally even folded and bought a Kindle about a year and a half ago. It`s not the same :smiley13:

For fantasy classics -- I finally read Earthsea (sometimes brilliant, sometimes :roll: )for the first time fairly recently, and I`m about halfway through the last Mistborn book (mixed feelings).

Esquire of The Mark
For any Tamora Pierce fans out there, the newest addition to the Tortall world is Tempests and Slaughter about Numair's backstory and it's amazing. If you haven't read any Tamora Pierce before, you can't go wrong starting here, as it has sufficient world building and character building to serve as an introductory novel in its own right. You won't regret it.

Galadhrim Bowmaster
Really interesting to hear people talk about We, The Drowned. My mother was born in Marstal, the city in question, and I spent every summer of my childhood there. I had no idea the book had been translated to English, let alone found an audience.

As for recommendations, I will mention The Woven Ring, a flintlock fantasy by MD Presley, a friend of mine. The setting is unusual among modern fantasy, and the magic system is very structured and logical. It has a female protagonist looking for redemption, another interesting point.

Sage of Khazad-dûm
Fairy Nuff - I loved tempests and slaughter. Tamora is really active on twitter and good reads too, she's lovely.

We, The Drowned is on the to read pile (with about 800 others) If anyone wants to be friends on goodreads - let me know.

Current reads are The Witcher books, I'm on the third one (I think) and really enjoying it.

Healer of Imladris
Fairy Nuff - Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! I stumbled onto Tempests and Slaughter, totally forgot she was writing Numair`s story, and then may or may not have proceeded to listen to all of Alanna and Daine as audiobooks. That was almost as nostalgic as this Plaza revival!

Aduchil - Oh, cool! I`ve never been to Europe, much less Denmark, so I have no idea how representative of the place it really is, but honestly, I was sold as soon as I saw the cover. 700 pages of sailing? What could go wrong! :lol: I ended up recommending the book to my dad (not a fantasy guy, but otherwise excellent taste) and he enjoyed it too, so that`s one more English language reader.

Edit: Would love to add people on Goodreads! https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2287180-maiya

Galadhrim Bowmaster
The book is reasonably representative, as we have always been a seafaring nation. All our cities and even most towns are coastal or with access to the sea, and so stories like these are widespread.

That said, Marstal is among the smallest (maybe a thousand inhabitants currently) of these towns that nonetheless have a very strong maritime tradition still alive, so in that sense, the book could probably only have been written about Marstal. As a small example, 80 sailors from Marstal community died during ww2, serving as volunteers on board Allied convoy ships, which was a significant part of the entire town's population that perished.

Wainrider
The last book I was majorly impacted by was Name of the Wind in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I read the book and listened to the audiobook over the course of a week or two while doing fieldwork. I'll tell ya, listening to a fantasy book while stuck digging in a cornfield amidst 10-foot-tall corn was pretty atmospheric. :smiley9:

Forester of Lothlorien
Aerlinn - I LOVE the Winternight trilogy! I just read that last year. Have you read her recent spooky stories?
Fairy Nuuff - Man, I haven't read Tamora Pierce books in awhile, but I remember really enjoying them!

I've recently been reading the Percy Jackson books. Just started on The Heroes of Olympus books. I also recently read the 1st Dune book - getting reading for the movie that coming out!

Esquire of The Mark
Reikon - ah yes, Name of the Wind is so good. As is the second book, and the mini-novel...now if only Patrick Rothfuss would bring out the next book already!

Sidra - oh then you should definitely look up Tempests and Slaughter, I think it is some of her finest writing, and that is saying something!

Sage of Khazad-dûm
Reikon - read the second one!! I thought it was even better, Fairy what do you think? I can't wait for book 3!!

Hi Sidra!! Agree about T&S I thought it was a lovely read. I've also read Percy Jackson, they're nice books too.

Esquire of The Mark
Nerwen - yes, the second book felt like the author was more comfortable and really got into it. I was barely able to put it down, which makes the wait for 3 even harder! I need to know what happens next!

Wainrider
Queen Nerwen wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:59 pm Reikon - read the second one!! I thought it was even better, Fairy what do you think? I can't wait for book 3!!

Hi Sidra!! Agree about T&S I thought it was a lovely read. I've also read Percy Jackson, they're nice books too.
The day I finished NotW I immediately went to Barnes & Noble that day to pick up Wise Man's Fear. I loved it as well!

Horse-lord of The Mark
I feel I must recommend some YA fantasy books by a previous Plaza denizen(!!) (alas, I cannot remember her username; forgive me, it was like 15 years ago): The Light Between Worlds and A Treason of Thorns by Laura E. Weymouth. The Light Between Worlds was especially good: very Narnia-inspired, basically what would have happened when the "Pevensies" came back from Narnia after The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Featuring #justiceforSusan. Very lush and beautiful prose.

Khazad Elder
Hey all! I really really enjoyed the Name of the Wind series. Patrick Rothfuss is a great writer. At times I was frustrated by his characters but its because he makes them intentionally frustrating at times.

Has anyone given Brandon Sanderson a try? Mistborn Trilogy or Stormlight Archives (The Way of Kings). Both are epic fantasy that seem to scratch my huge world building love and with very interesting characters.

Wainrider
@Oro I thought the whole interlude with Felurian was entirely unnecessary and found myself wanting to skip through it. Other than that I've thoroughly enjoyed the story Rothfuss has created. Can't wait for the third! (but will clearly have to)

Has anyone read the His Dark Materials series? I know @Lealnemarr mentioned it in another thread. I was a huge fan, read it around the same time I read Lord of the Rings the first time. My fiancee re-read it in the lead up to the new HDM TV shows. What did everyone think of the TV show, both on its own, and as an adaptation?

Healer of Imladris
@SidraLockel Eltoran - I did! I would have read her grocery list after Winternight, I was desperate. They weren't Vasya, but I enjoyed them.

Like most of you, I'm resignedly waiting for new Kingkiller and ASOIAF. I did read GRRM's Tales of Dunk and Egg recently-ish which was a great reminder of why I loved ASOIAF after being a bit burned out on the whole GoT craze.

Would also sell my soul to Mordor for the next Gentleman Bastard book (drop everything you're doing and read Lies of Locke Lamora RIGHT NOW if you haven't already) and Abarat, but Clive Barker has been torturing me with wait times since elementary school so [that smiley that's bashing itself against a wall].

Horse Trainer of The Mark
@Reikon Suchi-ru one of my fave series of books. And I loved the old actress of Lyra from the old movie ( I'm awful with names). She had spunk and Lyra's sassy accent too! I like the HBO series but find it a little flat at times. Like, it needs more Pan-- he changes soooo much (remember when he turned into a mini dragon?!) And I think that's what I loved about him. I know it's CGI cost but still. Now, I'm not 100% done yet with season 1 because I have to watch it with the kids when Chris is working. But they like it. Carter (he's 16) read the books and liked them but Donnavyn who is 11 doesn't have the imagination for them yet.

I'll have to have a look at my booklist when I get home (I'm out running errands) but I have been reading a lot of YA and a few random fantasy books.

And because I'm a weirdo, currently reading the DSM 5 for fun :)

Wainrider
@Lealnemarr I agree the HDM show dragged a bit at times, but I love what they did with the world-building, and am excited to see what they do moving forward. Also, amazing casting choices all around, I think.

Sage of Khazad-dûm
@Reikon Suchi-ru Completely agree about Felurian LOL so awkward to have so many scenes...

I adore His Dark Materials - has anyone read the two new books? I've been and sat on the bench in Oxford which is cited as Lyra and Will's bench. It was a bit emotional!

Wainrider
@Queen Nerwen I have La Belle Sauvage on my shelf right now but haven't gotten around to reading it. That's amazing you got to sit on the bench! Jealous :oops:

Forester of Lothlorien
Aerlinn - I've read Tales of Dunk and Egg as well. The waiting for The Winds of Winter is painful! And I only got into GoT in the last 3 years (or so). So I haven't even had to wait as long as some people. Honestly though, after the last season of GoT, I'm a bit burned out as well.

I might try and read The Witcher series over the summer. My TBR list of books is SOOOO long right now. There's just not enough time in the day, and I've already read 39 books this year!

Khazad Elder
SidraLockel Dont take this as me putting a damper on your Witcher read through. I know plenty of people who enjoyed it, I just didn’t personally. I felt it was odd story telling with sub par plots. Huge disappointment because I loved the games, and then loved the show. Just dont know it didn’t fit me personally I guess.

Sage of Khazad-dûm
I am enjoying the witcher books.

get reading @Reikon Suchi-ru I have a boxed, signed copy *drool*

Esquire of The Mark
@Aerlinn ooooh yes, need more Gentlemen Bastards books! I can't believe how long it is since the last one. I will need to read them again anyway, as it's been a while. I get the feeling there are some books that just aren't going to happen, like the third Gentleman Bastards, the third Kingkiller Chronicles and the final Game of Thrones book. I want to know what happens but nothing but true canon will do or I'll always be left wondering.
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

Healer of Imladris
@Fairy Nuff - I've met Scott Lynch a few times, just standard convention and book event stuff, but they were pretty small and he was really friendly and kind. He signed my copy of Thorn of Emberlain with an R2-D2 Bug joke I can't quite recall :smiley9:. Later, I got to hear him read an excerpt from the supposed new book, he said it was the first time he ever shared any of it publicly, and I was so hopeful! But that was in...2015 it looks like. It was a whole new set of characters that was eventually supposed to intersect with the current crew--wild!
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Sage of Khazad-dûm
@Aigronding Mordagnir didn't we once have a conversation about Star Wars books??
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

Khazad Elder
@Queen Nerwen Have you read Star Wars Books? I used to read a lot of them. The other day I read the new Thrawn series and loved being back. It was amazing.

Elven Enchanter
Like many of you, I too am waiting for the next book in ASOIAF. I tried watching the show, but couldn't get past the third season. It started to get too graphic for me.

I've recently started the Outlander series and am almost done with the second book. That was probably the first novel I read in about 4-5 years. *hides face in shame* I have been reading a lot in the last several years, but primarily books that are vocational in nature.

My eldest niece wants me to read Percy Jackson, so that should probably go on the to-read list.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

New Soul
Nerwen, yes, that's how you introduced me to Brecht (Tried getting him back to the Plaza but he changed the subject to Frozen on Messenger yesterday, :smiley9: )! I've been reading the Star Wars Expanded Universe for most of my life, 25 years. I am still outraged that Lucasfilm under Kathleeen Kennedy and Iger's Disney stopped the Expanded Universe and are still mining it for their new canon. I won't read any of the new books since they are not part of the canon that I grew up that was discontinued. Anyways. I'm up to the novel Abyss now written by Troy Denning in the Fate of the Jedi series. I've been reading / gaming Old Republic lore for the last couple of years; I'm into the Revan novel now by Drew Karpyshyn and playing SWTOR MMO.

I'm reading A Dance with Dragons, Dimmy, and I'm on House of Hades for the Percy Jackson books. You'll hate what Percy does when he first shows up in that novel if you're a big Annabeth fan like I am. There is a live-action series coming to Disney Plus for Percy's first set of books but I'm not really optimistic because of what they did to Star Wars and Artemis Fowl.

I just started reading The Lies of Lock Lamora, Aerlinn, and 200 pages into The Name of the Wind. :smiley8:

I tackle many books at once. Right now I'm reading (besides what's mentioned above: A Song of Ice and Fire: Dance of Dragons, It, Under the Dome, Doctor Sleep, The Sword of Truth: Confessor, The Wheel of Time: Winter's Heart, The Duke and I, Odd Apocalypse, Shannara: Bearers of the Black Staff, Shannara: The Bloodfire Quest, Mistborn, The Princess and the Goblin, Pilgrim's Progress, The NIV Bible (Judges), Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories - Volume I, The Witcher: Last Wish, Star Wars: Dark Empire II, Star Wars: Kenobi, Star Wars: The Courtship of Princess Leia, Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy - Rebel Dawn, HP Lovecraft: The Ultimate Collection, Jurassic Park, The Legend of Drizzt: The Crystal Star, Forgotten Realms: Cormyr, Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, Outlander, and His Dark Materials III: The Amber Spyglass.

I ordered Green Rider and The Viscount Who Loved Me yesterday.
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

Thain of The Mark
Since my Plaza days, my absolute standout series discovery has been The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta. They have the classic high fantasy vibes I'm pretty sure we all love (or why else would we be here!) and tackle the refugee/diaspora experience through a fantasy lens. They're gritty but transcendently hopeful at the same time, and every single characters feels like an actual living person. The first book in the trilogy is Finnikin of the Rock, if anyone wants to give it a go--you will *not* regret it.
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Sage of Khazad-dûm
@Aigronding Mordagnir Don't talk about Artemis Fowl *sobs*
Out of your list I really loved Sherlock & Amber Spyglass. Are these all new reads to you or some re-reads?

@Thalionwen I will have to look those up!

Has anyone read Red Rising (and subsequent books)?
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

Healer of Imladris
There was an Artemis Fowl show!?? Oh d-d-dear.

Has anyone been reading V.E. Schwab? Vicious and Vengeful are kinda dark for me but they were quality page-turners. And if you're a fan of the superhero genre I definitely recommend. I read her Shades of Magic trilogy too and I loved the first one, but it was all downhill from there.

Oh! Riyria Revelations series, starting with Theft of Swords! I thought it was a bit rough around the edges, but very fun storytelling. Ideal for fantasy nerds, less ideal for the people you're trying to convert into fantasy nerds.

Making a note of Lumatere...

Khazad Elder
@Queen Nerwen i read Red Rising. Fantastic book. Really enjoyed the style and scope of it. The caste system in particular was fascinating. I have also read I think the next book but not the following ones. They are on my to read list.

@Aigronding Mordagnir will you read the new High republic books that are coming out for Star Wars? They are the brain child of a lot of wonderful minds.

@Aerlinn i read the Shades of Magic book one and two and then couldn't finish three. One was soo good but it was disappointing after that for me. And Riyria Revelations was a great little fun series. Like you said rough but entertaining and at least worth a quick look.

Sage of Khazad-dûm
@Oro Flippin' read them. Now. I need more people in this fandom oh my life!!

@Aerlinn I think it's in production. Don't look it up.

Has anyone seen the new Hunger Games book? I think it came out today!

Horse-lord of The Mark
Aerlinn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 am Has anyone been reading V.E. Schwab? Vicious and Vengeful are kinda dark for me but they were quality page-turners. And if you're a fan of the superhero genre I definitely recommend. I read her Shades of Magic trilogy too and I loved the first one, but it was all downhill from there.
I looooved Vicious and Vengeful (although they are super dark). And I'm with you about Shades of Magic. I was so bummed that the second one ended on a cliffhanger that was solved in like the first five minutes of the third. Just... don't end on a cliffhanger! :smiley9: That being said, I loved Rhy as a character and was glad he got more screen time.
Former Hæland of the Cavalry
Former over-active member (and Maia) of the Cottage
Current lurker/intermittent poster just happy to be back

New Soul
@Aerlinn, nah, there was an Artemis Fowl movie...or maybe it's been pushed back for later this year because of the virus. The trailer is online though. Trust me, sis, you'll cringe.

@Nerwen, all new reads, I seldom read a book over again. I've been waiting for the New Hunger Games novel! I'll see if it's at Wal-Mart today when I work my shift but if I don't see it in the book section then I'll order it from Amazon tonight.

@Oro, since the High Republic is not the Expanded Universe then I can't read those stories. I also saw their chalkboard of ideas and it seems like they're more focused on diversity than story just like the New DisCanon films. I saw Sith Empire as one of their ideas and that goes against film lore because the Sith Empire isn't around this time frame according to the Phantom Menace, so they're ignoring established movie. "Dinosaurs" are part of their ideas so that means the authors are going to rehash the Ssi-Ruuk of the Expanded Universe. They mentioned one character is "the best of the best" and "noblest" so they're not even advertising Yoda's presence. I'm sorry, friend, but the High Republic is a hard pass for me. I don't read any of the authors involved who i saw in the video but one mentioned that the group comes from different places regarding stories but all love Star Wars...so there won't be cohesive storytelling and we saw how disjointed Episodes 8 and 9 were because Abrams and Rian didn't write and plot together like the Expanded Universe authors did.
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

Khazad Elder
@Aigronding Mordagnir Ill give them a shot. I still think that there are good young authors who can do a good job with Star Wars. I always give people a shot because I realize that the decisions to mess stuff up wasn’t theirs it was the management at Disney. Thing is that the Extended Universe wasn’t that well organized but they made it work and I think it can happen again as long as Disney doesn’t micromanage.

But really has no one here read Brandon Sanderson (Way of Kings/Stormlight Archive, Mistborn Trilogy, ect)

New Soul
Oooo I could promote the book series I have been editing! the Series is called Against the Veiled, by Brent Perry (once known on the plaza as Kastle I believe) the first book is called Sleight of Hand( i did not edit this one), then Cold Exposure, and the 3rd is Haunted. 4th is still in early stages of writing and editing, but trust me, it is already amazing! They have a very "Dresden Files" feel to them. Modern world, sort of magic/demon hunter, save the world before it finds out, sort of deal.
Veowyn, Vandani, Jakiewyn, Caddrick, Ailura, Túrelia, Vigri, Vinca
Maldir - you are missed

Healer of Imladris
@Oro I was most of the way through Mistborn when Animal Crossing came out. And now the Plaza...give me another week or so :smiley9:. So far, I'm impressed by the cohesiveness of the story and kind of enjoying the politicking. I never got too emotionally involved with most of the characters but the Spook stuff going on has me on edge. Sometimes the power imbalance between Mistborn/everyone else seems a little much.

Speaking of Artemis Fowl...did anyone notice Eoin Colfer is publishing crime and adult fantasy? High Fire came to my attention a few months ago, haven't read it yet. And just now found Plugged and Screwed on his website.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Lovely to read about what everyone else is reading! I'm missing my library-related book chats :smiley13:

Aerlinn - I haven't read High Fire yet (bought it for my husband for a present a couple of months back. He hasn't touched it. The temptation is real...) but I've read other stuff aside from the Artemis Fowl books. Airman was particularly good if I remember. Hoping High Fire is worth the read. Didn't much fancy Plugged or Screwed but could be talked round.

In a lovely coincidence, I finished a re-read of LotR last week. Now on to The wolf and the watchman by Niklas Natt och dag for a bit of murder. I've also got the second of the Lloyd Alexander books to read since we rewatched The Black Cauldron recently.

Æthelwigend of the Westmark

Balrog
In the last couple of years now, I've been digging deep into horror and weird. I started reading Lovecraft and that evolved into reading The Croning by Laird Barron which might very well be one of the creepiest books I've ever read. I've also dived into China Mieville and his wildly weird urban fantasy (seriously read Kraken and you'll see just how weird it gets).
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Wise Ent
I usually read wayyy more non-fiction than fiction, with a particular focus on WW1 and WW2 history.

However, in the past couple years I've picked up an interest in the Crusades and polar exploration. Just started reading Sir John Franklin's journal of his first trip through the Arctic, which earned him the name of 'the man who ate his boots'.

In terms of fiction, I"m trying to keep my reading level of French decent...so am finishing ROTK in French; I"m about to start Dance with Dragons in French, and am starting to go through Anne McCaffrey in French.

Anybody else into Wheel of Time? There's a TV show coming out soon!
Do not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for You are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup.

Balrog
@Flame Fried Ent I read the entire WoT books over the course of a summer before he died, I haven't quite had the heart to finish the series despite reading Brandon Sanderson on his own and finding him a decent world builder and character developer
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Istari Steward
@Frost Curious since you mentioned horror, have you read the short story The Horla by Guy de Maupassant? If you have I'd be curious to know what you thought of it, if not I recommend it. I have read opinions that called Maupassant a bit of a proto-Lovecraft in the sense of horror being wrapped up in the alien unknown, which I enjoyed.

Balrog
I love The Horla! I love de Maupassant in general, he was weird before his time. The Horla, in particular, has great "is this narrator insane" vibes that make you question everything he's actually saying. De Maupassant, for being pre-Lovecraft, did better had portraying narrative instability. Lovecraft's protagonists seemed either too put together or fall apart too easily.

Doorwarden of The Mark
@Flame Fried Ent Have you read 'Erebus' by Michael Palin? If so, is it any good?

Æthelwigend of the Westmark

Chef
Yay book thread! Has anyone else read Wanderers by Chuck Wendig? I've been dying to discuss it but none of my friends have read it yet. It does deal with a pandemic (it was written last year, kind of prescient now), so I have a hard time recommending it to read right now. It has similarities to Stephen King's the Stand, but updated for a more modern audience and also has some thinly veiled commentary on the state of various issues in the USA right now.

On other books in the thread, I love Name of the Wind but was a little underwhelmed by the sequel (looking at you, Felurian). I read the first Mistborn book and liked it, but I tried so so hard to read the Way of Kings after a lot of recommendations and just could not get into it. I managed to read the first Wheel of Time book many years ago but found it a bit of a slog.
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Wise Ent
@Frost you should continue! They're slightly different than Robert Jordan's style, but I still liked them. I'm re-reading the series right now.
@Elarith , I've not read that one, but have seen it advertised a few times. I"ll get to it eventually.
Do not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for You are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup.

Balrog
@Menolly It's on my list of books to read, I have his book zer0es to try first, see if I like his style. I think it'd be a great book club book
@Flame Fried Ent Once I work my way through Malazan Book of the Fallen I'll start it up and finish it