Can we have a new Kingdom?

Important messages from and for the administrators.
Wainrider
Hi Admins! Can we have a new kingdom? Any plans for that or will that harm the website, or is there a storage or manpower problem?
I want to build a Harad Kingdom, not right now, but I'd love to sometime down the line.

Ent Ancient
Hey @Draugän Nuruhuinë, thanks for stopping by with your idea! We are always open to hearing member suggestions and feedback and want to actively encourage everyone to do so.

When Narv created the NuPlaza in 2020, it was built around a selection of the Old Plaza kingdoms. When more kingdoms were added later on, they were chosen based on a site-wide poll. If that happens again in the future, we would want to open another Plaza-wide discussion so everyone can engage and put their thoughts forward.

Given the number of active members around lately and the small-ish community we are, we think it is best not to further split up the kingdoms. Additionally, with the recent server blip, the admin team have been largely focused on restoring the site back to its former glory, implementing backup systems and ensuring its stability. Since a lot of technical (and artistic) work goes has to go into creating a whole new forum, right now, it is not really practical or feasible for us to do so.

As an aside, but somewhat related, your Harad RP thread is outstanding and I personally look forward to seeing more stories play out there.

Chef
fine but can we at least have an Ice Bay of Forochel kingodm? come on admins, do it, you know you wanna

(but yes @Draugän Nuruhuinë, what Lail said is true - us plaza folks are as butter and the forums are as bread, and the consensus early on here on was to avoid scraping ourselves over too many of them. It helps avoid getting the place feeling all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean :smile: I'm definitely a big supporter to making threads to capture any areas not covered by the main kingdoms, and looks like you're doing that already so I reckon that's the way to go for Harad)

Wainrider
I understand. Remember the Umbar kingdom we had 4 years back? I think that died down due to this reason as well. People were spread too thin.

New Soul
Narv wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 pm fine but can we at least have an Ice Bay of Forochel kingodm? come on admins, do it, you know you wanna
Cometh the hour, cometh the thread :tongue: Go channel your inner Canadian and go scate or play hockey or whatever people who have ice and snow in winter do :lol:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Steward of Gondor
Another idea I'd like to recommend, for when we're ready to add new kingdoms, or perhaps subkingdom, if that's a thing? is perhaps a separate one for the area usually patrolled by rangers, like the lone lands or perhaps Breeland, or whatever it might be called. It always confuses me to have to go to Imladris to find Bree, for instance, because I think of that as its own region outside of imladris. But maybe it's just me
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Chef
You'll find some very strong opinions among folks here about @Regions -- er, I mean, regions. Personally I'm not in favour of adding any subkingdom/region-like setup ever, and it would take a significant collective public outcry to change my mind.. the downside of not having them is certainly valid as you say (having Bree in Imladris is awkward (as an aside I woulda thought The Shire would be better for that? but that's irrelevant), same with Orthanc in Rohan, Harad in Mordor etc). But I really think the subtle risk of empty kingdoms/subkingdoms is worse, in the form of spreading out activity, giving a 'oh, this place is kinda dead lately' feel, and generally inducing Plaza Heat Death from not enough people all interacting in the same places.

That said - if there's really a strong desire among a lot of people for a new kingdom, now or later (be it Lorien/Isengard/Bree/Harad/MidgewaterMarshes/whatever), we're not necessarily gonna just overrule that. If a solid contingent of folks gets together and really commits to a long-term vision for the new kingdom and the hard task of keeping it active for years, then that's something we'd consider (it'd probably involve some kinda referendum poll among the whole site though). That's how we ended up with KD and Fangorn, which I didn't initially include. It's a real pandora's box though - once a kingdom gets added it really can't ever get taken away, and those risks I mentioned above are very real IMO.

New Soul
Narv: You're voicing my thoughts. :thumbs: Big roleplay communities you don't find really today anymore online. An HP forum which had all three schools, Beauxbauton, Durmstrang and Hogwarts, closed down the first two schools and remained only with Hogwarts, because of dwindling member numbers. I left because I was most active in Durmstrang and really felt connected to that. The forum is smaller as well and the rest is archived.

To find threads that cover other regions than the kingdoms, put the region in the thread title, label it clearly what's about. Just as: (Examples)

"Nargothrond Beleriand, First Age. (Action/Battle RP)"
"Haradwaith, Third Age." (Free RP)
"Bree Eriador, All Ages. (Free RP)"
"Lands of Khand, Third Age. (Free RP)"

Or as in the past I had with a particular theme roleplay: "The Elvenpath, Mirkwood/Rhovanion (Sign-up & RP)". Everyone will find this back easy as it is clear and recognisable. Just idea, not a must to implement it.
Last edited by Aikári Salmarinian on Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Balrog
The fact that we don't have a Nameless Things forum is a crime against... nature?

That being said I think we don't forums so much as we need more Free RPs that allow people to what they'd like, they can be a free for all like Arnor or semi-structured like Angmar. Also I don't see a point to putting year/time constrictions on threads because half of us have characters that stretch back a looooong way and have lots of stories to tell about them.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
Marshall Lee wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 pm(...) I think we don't forums so much as we need more Free RPs that allow people to what they'd like {emphasis added}, they can be a free for all like Arnor or semi-structured like Angmar.
Agreed. :nod:

I think it's important that you have spaces (threads) where you can write/RP the story you want to tell about your character(s). It doesn't really matter in which Kingdom those threads are as long as they exist and you can use them to tell the story you want to tell. :nod: So let's focus on storytelling and character development and honing our writing skills. And of course, having fun and interacting with people. Those are the important things we're here for. IMO.
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

High Lord of Imladris
Honestly if we were to get any more kingdoms I would hope that it would be Isengard and Lothlorien which do already have icons and don't exist yet that said I don't think we are big enough to sustain them in any shape or form right now other than how they are currently. Perhaps one day but until then I think what we are doing now is a fantastic work around

I think we do have an excellent range of Free RPs, that cover just about every place in on and under Middle Earth once you actually start going through all the Kingdoms I don't think there isn't a single one that doesn't have a Free RP that covers each area. But if there is a place not covered it's absolutely fantastic that WHOEVER wants to go and RP in that specific place can open up a thread for that wherever they deem it to fit the best.

Arien
Arien
Narv wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:14 pm
It's a real pandora's box though - once a kingdom gets added it really can't ever get taken away, and those risks I mentioned above are very real IMO.
except for our brief and beloved EAGLE KINGDOM, which served its fleeting and glorious purposes fleetingly and gloriously
cave anserem

High Lord of Imladris
Galadrihell wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:47 pm
except for our brief and beloved EAGLE KINGDOM, which served its fleeting and glorious purposes fleetingly and gloriously

I would argue the beloved Eagle Kingdom served far more than it's fleeting and glorious purpose and pulled our biscuits out of the fire with exceptional flare.

Typical Eagle style

New Soul
Narv wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:14 pm You'll find some very strong opinions among folks here about @Regions -- er, I mean, regions. Personally I'm not in favour of adding any subkingdom/region-like setup ever, and it would take a significant collective public outcry to change my mind.. the downside of not having them is certainly valid as you say (having Bree in Imladris is awkward (as an aside I woulda thought The Shire would be better for that? but that's irrelevant), same with Orthanc in Rohan, Harad in Mordor etc). But I really think the subtle risk of empty kingdoms/subkingdoms is worse, in the form of spreading out activity, giving a 'oh, this place is kinda dead lately' feel, and generally inducing Plaza Heat Death from not enough people all interacting in the same places.

That said - if there's really a strong desire among a lot of people for a new kingdom, now or later (be it Lorien/Isengard/Bree/Harad/MidgewaterMarshes/whatever), we're not necessarily gonna just overrule that. If a solid contingent of folks gets together and really commits to a long-term vision for the new kingdom and the hard task of keeping it active for years, then that's something we'd consider (it'd probably involve some kinda referendum poll among the whole site though). That's how we ended up with KD and Fangorn, which I didn't initially include. It's a real pandora's box though - once a kingdom gets added it really can't ever get taken away, and those risks I mentioned above are very real IMO.
Answering your call, @Narv :grin:

Chef
I have very strong positive opinions about this development

Newborn of Imladris
Personally if I ever have enough time to redevelop Saranna properly, I would expect no less than a separate kingdom for her little hut in the pinewoods above Imladris. :rofl:
Remembering halfir by learning something new each day