Happy Solstice!

Yeah I get it, this is where everyone will actually post.
Black Númenórean
:smiley8: Happy Solstice, everyone!! :smiley8:

Today my city will be experiencing 19 hours, 22 minutes of daylight, and no true darkness. A bit further north in Utqiagvik, the sun rose on May 10 and won't set again until Aug 1, when it will disappear for only 33 minutes.

The mountains will be crowded with revelers, and that's where all be! Do you celebrate Solstice, midsummer, or any variation of this day? What are your traditions?
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Black Númenórean
Wow. That is a lot of daylight. To be honest, I'm kind of jealous! It'd be cool to experience such a solstice.

No particular traditions here, except we can walk the dog later in the day to avoid the heat!

Hope you enjoy the abundance of daylight and the mountains. (I'm especially jealous of the mountains.)
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Wise Ent
We’re getting 17 hours and 6 minutes of daylight today....or would be if there weren’t so many clouds! Tomorrow is National Aboriginal Day, and there would usually be a lot of celebrations for the solstice and stuff, but since social distancing is still A Thing, I don’t know what’ll happen. The First Nation across the River usually does some stuff...I just bask in the sunlight cause I know in 6 months we won’t have much of it at all.
And I think I’ve found a Plazaite that’s further north than me!
Do not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for You are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup.

New Soul
@Moriel That's wild. Do you find that really throws off your circadian rhythm?

I've no particular traditions-- there's not really anyone around where I am who celebrates it so far as I know. I've never been a part of any solstice celebrations; what do people do?
they/he/mischief

Doorwarden of The Mark
https://twitter.com/EnglishHeritage/sta ... 78433?s=19

I mentioned in Discord that usually there's a big party at Stonehenge for solstice, but the site isn't open this year. The English Heritage Twitter account has a video of the sunset. Can't seem to find a video of sunrise, but if you check out the Twitter account you might see something I'm missing :smiley10:
Dryhtguma of Meduseld ~ Dicun

Fea
That's crazy hours of daylight @Moriel! According to reputable sources (google) we got 16 hours and 38 minutes of daylight here today. Got to spend most of it out in the sun too :smiley8: . I always get kinda sad that from here on out it's all getting darker again until end of December, but hey ho!

[@Aethelu was actually just about to share that myself! I think they might be filming the sunrise at Stone Henge tomorrow - at least there's filmed footage of various places across the UK here, so assume it might also be tomorrow for Stone Henge ]

Black Númenórean
@Sil’s Fool Not so much! Like everyone else with any sense, I have blackout curtains in my bedroom. Only really when it comes to sitting at my computer and deciding when to go to bed, it just stays light outside and gives me no indication I'm staying up too long :smiley16: Similar in the winter, except it's dark all the time. Some people do have a lot of trouble with their rhythms though, especially in the winter.

Chef
its raining

New Soul
Moriel Makes sense. I feel like I would struggle, XD. Maybe it's better Uni Anchorage was to expensive for me. I might not have slept for four years. We would have had such adventures, though...
they/he/mischief

Chef
I had never thought to check the amount of daylight on the longest day! 16 hours and 59 minutes here, although I don't think I've seen the sun at all today. I love the long evenings this time of year.
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

New Soul
Looks like about 15 hours here. And it's still enough to throw me off.
Granted, I don't have light cancelling curtains.
they/he/mischief

Wise Ent
I have those curtains. Very helpful when i want to sleep in.

Ofc, in 6 months, I'll be moaning and cursing cause I only get about 6 hours of daylight if we're lucky.
Do not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for You are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup.

Black Númenórean
@Flame Fried Ent ain't THAT the truth. On winter solstice we expect about 5.5 hours of very grey, dull daylight, where it feels more like 3-4. In Utqiagvik, they have almost 70 days of complete darkness!

Wise Ent
That really sucks, @Moriel. At least here it's usually pretty sunny, even during the winter. But going to work and coming home in the dark does not do me many favours. And I'm pretty south, compared to you at least!

I looked up Utquiagvik, and there ain't a lot of towns nearby....what sent you all the way up there?

Black Númenórean
Oh I'm not in Utqiagvik, I'm in Anchorage, just using Utqiagvik as a point of reference for extremes :smiley8:

Wise Ent
ahhh, OK. Still begs the question as to what's in Anchorage?!? I'm just north of 53rd parallel, and I can't stand the winters as it is here!

Anchorage is extreme enough, we don't need places on the Arctic Ocean to scare people too much! I might as well say Grise Fiord is just a bit north of me....they get no night either today.

Black Númenórean
I was born here! Lived out of state and country for work and school a few times, but haven't made a permanent jump yet :smiley8:

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Happy Solstice Moriel !

I should have been celebrating Golowan, our local Midsummer's Festival, this weekend, but of course it has been cancelled in the name of common sense. :smiley13: Disappointed of course, to be merely celebrating at home with none of the excitement and after all, the Serpent Dance is no fun unless there's at least a couple hundred people ! But at least I have more time to work on my costume, and gather anticipation, for next year ! :smiley15:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Wise Ent
ahhh, yes, being born somewhere does help with stuff like that.

What's Golowan, Ercassie?

New Soul
Summer solstice is my wedding anniversary and this year was 10 years so...Mr. Tari and I went out of town for a socially distanced weekend away from our toddler.
she/her

Istari Steward
Ahh, congratulations on your anniversary, especially a milestone one! I'm almost there myself. I hope your weekend was relaxing and wonderful.

Black Númenórean
Congratulations Tari!! What a wonderful day to get married on. Glad you were able to get in some kind of celebration :smiley8:

FFE, there's plenty of people born here who still have trouble with the light disparities- I'm one of the lucky ones!

Cassie, aww I'm so sorry Golowan was cancelled but like you say, sensible and now next year can be bigger and better! I'd love to see the serpent dance :smiley8: