The Rohirric Bath Tub Race ~ Rohan Summer Fest

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Chieftain of The Mark
NPC: Goldwhæt “Rustbucket” Dubhlaoich

The crusty seadog raced down the tightly channelled river ahead of the pack of pursuing Tubsters. His eyes were screwed shut, so he sensed rather than saw the widening of the chasm and the daylight haring up to meet him. The torrent spat him out of the mouth of the crevice like a bung from a bottle of poncey Ithilien fizz. He cart wheeled through thin air and belly-flopped into the plunge pool below Lovers’ Falls.

A battered craft soared out into the sky above his thrashing form - a blonde dwarf @Balfur clung to its stern. Two more splashed into the water beside him, then a third - and a forth. Rusty had a brief moment to yell out before the inexorable flow of the Entwash rushed him, chunks of golden cheese and the battered flotilla onto the plain below.

As the rag-tag fleet rounded the last bend of the course, one of the tattered craft struck Rustbucket's head. In desperation he reached out, fingers scrabbling. They found a rope, rigging trailing from the stern of the Eaflæd, and he was yanked downstream on his back. The cabled twine burned like fire in his wet palms, but he clung on gamely. With the last of his strength he pulled the rope tighter and popped bolt upright, his feet skimming atop the water.

He careened off to starboard skipping over the rippling wake of the good ship Booty. He tilted a skinny hip and zoomed away portside, another correction brought him up nicely behind his tow-boat. A few lengths ahead of SS Ealflæd he caught a glimpse of Team Drowned; a mile or so beyond them bright bunting shimmered in the sun. It was going to be the closest of close run things!

Down the final straight the motley armada raced and behind them, like some exotic and ungainly wading bird came Rustbucket Dooley. Children ran screaming from the shallows, maids swooned in the arms of their beaus at the sight of this gangly blue apparition. The reviewing stands appeared on the eastern shore, but the crusty mariner’s aching thighs and arms threatened to undo his moment of triumph.

He dropped his skinny ‘hind low to the water for better balance as he scanned the packed bleachers. He spotted a particularly comely lady amongst the gawping faces (she had eyes and lips just like his old friend the Fyrebird!)

Rusty puckered up and blew her a kiss. The lass threw her hands over her face in revulsion. “Still got it,” the seadog chuckled, as he tipped her a shrewd wink.

A loud roar went up from the crowd as the Tubsters crossed the line. Rusty felt the rope in his hands slacken; he fell onto his belly and swam towards the Ealflæd.

“Westu, Laewyn and Éomund!” he spluttered. “How went the race for you?”

-----

OOC: Tubsters all:

Thanks for all your efforts during the Race, its been a blast and a laugh to see a new set of heroes take on the rivers of Rohan.

Thanks too for making Rædbeard @Elarith and Silæs' tasks such a pleasure!

@Gwai @Shivased @Calimir @Durien @Elvheimdros @Amhran @Lirimaer @Dimcairien Luiniel @KingODuckingham @Thalionwen @Queen Nerwen @Balfur

Warrior of Imladris
Image - Laewyn - Team Eaflaed

The end was in sight, and it was only as they came across the finish line and a large weight suddenly dropped into the water that they realised they'd been pulling an extra passenger for three miles. It was Silæs.

"How went the race for us?" Laewyn echoed, poking the man with the nearest vegetable at hand until he stopped trying to clamber aboard. "I'll have you know it went swimmingly, thank you! That's for the rotten fruit!" She threw a potato at him. It missed, but it was the gesture that counted. "And that's for the fire arrows!"

She stood up, righteously indignant. "And as for the shoddy repair job-" but at this point the shoddy repair job chose to eloquently state its own case by coming apart even further and Laewyn let out a shriek as she hit the cold water of the Entwash.

"Oh g-g-g-g-g-gosh!" she chattered, "l-l-l-l-let's let b-b-bygones be byg-g-gones and get out of this w-w-w-water before we f-f-freeze!"

Guard of The Mark
The Wyrd floated into port, her passengers draped wearily over her bulkheads, until she bumped gently against the bank and collapsed into a pile of staves and hoops - miraculously still smelling of oatmeal stout. Amhran sloshed ashore, spluttering and coughing, but not so much that she couldn't wave at the cheering crowd. Having knocked the water out of her ears, she turned to her partner. "If nothing else," she held up her helmetful of vegetables and the salmon, "we've got dinner. Though maybe next time it might be easier just to go to the market."

@Elvheimdros It's been a pleasure, thanks for playing with me! I think the spirit of MacGyver was with us on this one.
@Elarith and @Aodh Hammerhelm , Thank you so much for running the show and making it so much fun! I had a wonderful time.
@KingODuckingham @Thalionwen Dude, your cheese ship. I haven't laughed that hard in ages.

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen, Team S(t)unken Duckship

Stepping ashore soaked from head to toe, and smelling, as she generally did, of pungent cheese, Thali beamed. People were cheering! They liked her! They really liked her! The enticing smell of badger burgers hung on the air, she and her intrepid companion Ducky had survived, and most importantly, they'd held to their principles, all the way down the river.

Letting out a happy sigh, Thalionwen turned to Ducky, her eyes gleaming.

"Well, we did it," she said. "No repairs, and we sailed her to the very bottom. Now let's get something to eat."

(OOC: Thank you so much to @Aodh Hammerhelm and @Elarith for running this fabulous game, and to all our fellow competitors for an excellent race. NO REPAIRS!!!!!!!!!!)
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Esquire of The Mark
Elvh jabbed vaguely as they raced down the final trace of rapids, but he didn't feel like he was actually paddling, or even achieving much in the way of off-fending the various rocks. "Hold together, girl," he muttered, and the barrel did, somehow, as they squashed together across the finish with everybody else and Silæs' minions raced to drag the disintegrating craft out of the water - and rescue a few unfortunates who didn't quite make it. Elvh tried to time a jump clear as the barrel-staves creaked ominously, but caught his foot on something an stumbled into the side, doubling him over out of breath. And then the poor Wyrd came apart around them and he stumbled up the shore behind his partner, still clutching the PADDLEAX. Maybe he'd mount it as a trophy for... fourth place? Nawwww, better find some kid to give it to.

"Well, we made it," he told Amhran. "I like your idea of dinner. But they're saying something about warm towels? Maybe even some mead, or perhaps I imagined that bit." Time to party, anyway.

@Elarith @Aodh Hammerhelm Thanks for running the game! I hope my interfering to play accountant wasn't too much of a nuisance. :smiley16:
@Amhran Thanks for carting me along!
@KingODuckingham @Thalionwen I think you won the "People's Choice Cheese" award, if there is one.
May the Horse be with you.

Dúnadan
Team GambinoBooty ~ Cal with Léowine @Durien
The Booty boys had to hang on as their double tub jumped over another water fall. The Thieves flag still flew but its pole was sagging. Cal' rowed with all his might. Team Drowned raced just in front of the Booty. Could they catch them?

Cal' looked back to see what tubs were behind them His jaw dropped as he saw a strange thing skiing along behind the racing tubs. A heron, he thought. Not a grey one or a Goliath. This bird was as large as a Goliath but it was a strange shade of blue. As the strange creature whizzed off in the dircetion of the Eaflaed, Cal' shook his head and shouted to Léo. "There's one tub behind us and RUSTBUCKET! I can't see the Stinky Duck or Minnow." Cal' paddled with all his might but Team Drowned stayed ahead and crossed the finish line first.

"Well raced!" Cal laughed as the Booty and Ealflaed whizzed over the line. "What next, Léo? A mug of ale and some food?"
man of gondor < Image > heart of rohan

Knight of The Mark
The rush of going over the falls, feeling like they were weightless and flying, was an amazing feeling. For a second Shivased thought she might know how an eagle or hawk felt, soaring through the mist over the falls. Then reality came crashing back down - literally - as they splashed into the water at the bottom, jarring every bone in her body and, judging by the sounds coming from the wardrobe, doing a fair amount of damage. A leak sprung up beside her foot, soaking the soft canvas shoes she wore, which up until then had been the last dry place on her.

As the Minnow was whipped around in the pool at the bottom of the falls, she ripped a piece of her shirt off and stuffed it in the hole to stop the worst of the water. Then, looking around, she realized she had lost her parnter! GWAI! she yelled over the sound of the falls, dropping the paddle still in her hand and frantically searching the water around the wardrobe. She quickly spotted the other woman swimming over to grasp the side of the raft. Thank Bema you're ok! she shouted in relief and held out a hand to help haul Gwai back into the Minnow.

The canyon had narrowed and she could hear another roar up ahead, which caused her to groan. There was another waterfall. You'll see me if we survive! she called back to Gwai, picking up her paddle and preparing for the ride to come. They were buffeted along at a speed far too fast for comfort, banging and hitting along the canyon rim until the falls, where they shot over the edge. Again was that feeling of flying, but the splash she expected at the bottom didn't come. Instead the whole wardrobe shattered around them, wood and cushions and things going flying in all directions through the water.

Tossed out on impact, Shivased floundered in the water. She was a strong swimmer, but the swirling water in the falls pool had her disoriented for a minute, struggling to stay above the surface and find the shore. When she finally did figure out which way to go she swam quickly and pulled herself up onto the bank where she flopped down onto the grass with a groan. She stayed like that a few minutes before sitting up to look for Gwai. She knew her partner was a good swimmer, but she still worried. In the water, the remains of the Minnow floated around, barely recognizable as a wardrobe. Well, there goes my trusty wardrobe, she said sadly. Four races and she finally gave up the ghost. I'll miss her.

Elven Enchanter
Éomund - Team Eaflaed

After darting through the chasm in the u-shape and flying down yet another waterfall, Éomund breathed a sigh of relief as the Eaflaed made its way over the finish line, neck in neck with teams Wyrd and Swag. There was a great commotion as they crossed though, and he looked back to see both the cheese duck and the wardrobe sink beneath the waters. Never before in the history of the tub racing had a boat sank, and today, two sank just before crossing the finish line!

And then he heard a voice from behind asking, "How went the race for you?" He and Laewyn turned and to their horror, they had been pulling an extra passenger (Silæs) for the last who knew how long! Before he could get a chance to answer, Laewyn threw a potato in the direction of their unwanted passenger, which missed, but hopefully he got the point.

"It was an adventure," Éomund finally said, trying to be as diplomatic as possible, once Laewyn had gotten her say in, "but not one I care to repeat any time in the future. Perhaps a bit more sportsmanship next time?"
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Istari Steward
Team (former) Stinking Duck-Ship

The wizard knew magic when he felt it, and when the cheese boat sailed out over the edge of the falls, the horizon opened itself before them, the light beamed down on them, and the ship held course in the air, in that glorious moment, Ducky felt magic.

The crash afterwards would not change that. Magic never did last, that he knew well, better than anyone really. But it was still beautiful. And their fame would live forever, even if the cheese boat did not. Which it wouldn't, to be clear, seeing as how it was very dead already. Ducky wasn't too worried, he floated as well as any duck. The water just slid right off his back, and he could paddle underneath. He still appreciated the Rohirrim standing by to help fish them out.

Ducky looked to Thalionwen. "Future generations will remember what we have accomplished here." he told her, voice sober and soft. "But it still wouldn't hurt to build a statue to commemorate ourselves. Out of cheese. In the shape of a duck. Obviously."

Chieftain of The Mark
NPC: Sloe & Mo: below Lovers’ Falls

“Hile, Team Minnow! Hi, @Shivased ! Hi, @Gwai!” Sloe called from the bed of the cart below Lovers’ falls. “Hile, @KingODuckingham and @Thalionwen, ye of The Stinking Duckship! Mo & Sloe’s come to take yaz home… Warm blankets and fine ale, freonds… Hop on our cart and ride now in comfort."

NPC: Silæs ap Trōtter: at the finish line:

Silæs stood below the review stands, parchment in hand. The cheering of the crowd made it hard to concentrate, but he ran through his list with dogged precision:

Indemnities and other documents sealed and stored ~ CHECK!

Final tallies and positions: Rædbeard ~ CHECK!

Medals inscribed and handed to Rædbeard for presentation ~ CHECK!

Retrieve crews of Duck and Minnow ~ Sloe & Mo: CHECK!

Blankets, food and drink to crews ~ Jocko & Timmo: CHECK!

All seemed in order, except for one thing – Rustbucket Dooley. Silæs had last caught sight of the crusty mariner tottering off towards the Ale-tent. Hopefully the old sot would stay there!

He rolled up the parchment and made his way to the easel below the presentation dais. He’d started the preliminary drawing earlier, working quickly with charcoal as the Tubsters approached the line. He thought it a fair representation of the river and scenery, one without artifice. For once he’d not had to add drama to the scene, the spate of the Entwash and flotsam that rode on the river’s choppy surface were as he’d seen them.

He sketched in the dais and a throng of spectators, leaving space to add the Tubsters as the medals were awarded. He popped open a tin box of paints – water-colours aptly – and dabbed spots of colour to various areas of the image. This palette he’d use to complete the work when he returned to his studio in Edoras.

He stood back, brush clamped in his mouth, and frowned. The yellow used to represent the flotsam of The Stinking Duck was not quite right - he’d have to work on that. A mix of mustard seed and Warg-bile might do the trick...

A hush fell upon the crowd.

Silæs turned and saw @Elarith , still wearing her cunning Rædbeard disguise, standing on the dais. He gave her thunderous round of applause, then made a quick sketch of her. Employing a bit of licence for the first time, he added the tall form of Éomer-king beside her.
Last edited by Aodh Hammerhelm on Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doorwarden of The Mark
After recovering her speaking cone, Rædbeard stepped out on to the dias in her knee-length boots, beard and tricorn hat. She reached the middle, tapped the cone a couple of times to check the echo, then lifted it up to address the crowd.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Dwarves and Gondorians! Wizards and minions!

"Unfortunately the promised complimentary t-shirts have been lost somewhere around the duck pond," she gave a sly look to the repair crew. She was fairly sure they'd been used to plug holes in some of the crafts.

She continued: "But it gives me great pleasure to present medals for the entrants of this year's summer Tub Race, starting with our winners

Team Drowned in the Rapids! @Queen Nerwen @Balfur

Team Booty @Durien @Calimir

Team Eaflaed @Lirimaer @Dimcairien Luiniel

Teams Minnow * StinkingDuck * Wyrd @Gwai @Shivased @KingODuckingham @Thaliaiwe @Elvheimdros @Amhran

Rædbeard applauded each team as they came forward. "Well done! I hope to see all of you again at the next Tub Race, unless you've come to your senses and sworn off injury or death by keg or floating cheese by then. Fare well, Tubsters!"

She stepped off the stage, and looked over to where Silæs was... painting? Well, whatever he had to do to relax after all those repairs earlier. Rusty had turned up, soaking wet and threadbare. She wasn't even going to ask what had happened to him, not without some rum in her. Speaking of which, time to find the refreshment tent...

((OOC: Just to say thanks to everyone for playing and putting up with my GMing, it's been brilliant! Elvh, no problem holding us to account, mistakes were made. Thanks especially to@Aodh Hammerhelm too for his amazing unseen maps and info and dice rolls and all the rest.))

Warrior of Imladris
Image Laewyn - Team Eaflaed

Laewyn gave a little yip of excitement as getting her first ever medal. "I feel like we won, Éomund," she confided. "Thanks for coming with me. Our boat would have done another 10 miles - although I'm glad we didn't have to," she smiled ruefully. glancing down at her towel-draped figure. I think I need a holiday after all this. Do you see your wife anywhere? Go and celebrate!"

"Well done, Team Drowned in the Rapids, congratulations, Team Booty," she called clapping their winnings. "Team Wyrd, I don't know how we beat pipped you to third place. Team Minnow, bad luck at that waterfall! And Team Cheese Duck, I thought you might win, but more importantly, where did you get your cheese?"

@Elarith I thought your GMing was excellent - already said so, gonna say it again! Thanks for reading our posts and responding to them - showing your quality there! And thanks @Aodh Hammerhelm for being amusing and comically violent!
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Craftsman
In the water, there is only water. No thoughts, no needs other than paddling. Balfur holds tight the rim of the sawn-off barrel, but with his head underwater he has no other worries than swimming. It suits him, he has never been ine for worries, though over the years they seem to have snuck up on him. In the water he can let them go. Not even the thought of winning or losing plays on his mind. He just swims.

The water, of course, is incredibly cold. Yet his structured movement makes it easier. And he has been told that dwarves were created to resist the harsh of this world. He feels, within him, something akin to Mahal's furnaces. Either that or Orc Bite. Paddling along the dwarf smiles. Water is water. Orc Bite is Orc Bite. But Balfur is a Barrel lord. He continues his labour, until he is suddenly set free. Like a majestic duck the Drowned flies off of the Lovers Falls, with Balfur clinging on for dear life. Water is water and all, but this is air! An instant he spots a figure (Rusty in the waterfall. Is that a person down there? The next moment he is engulfed again by water and his mind is back in survival mode. Dwarves are made of sterner stuff. He keeps thinking and keeps on paddling. It's almost like those weird meditation excersises Khêled always tried to teach him.

He keeps going until he feels a gentle pat on the head. He guffaws for some air. (At least, he thinks he does that, it feels like something swimming people should do.) Nerwen informs him they are done. He climbs back aboard of their faithfull craft and together they steer it to the shore. It will never again contain any sort of blessed beer, but it has served its purpose. They have finished!

Not all teams seem to have made it. Some are fished up by the fearsome Raedbeard and helpers. Balfur even sees the figure he saw at the bottom of the falls. A sigh of relief escapes him; he is glad everyone made it through this harrowing experience alive. If not entirely dry. He shivers, but there is beer and burgers awaiting them it seems. Shaking he grins to Nerwen. "Not the duck dinner I promised you, but still a great reward for our efforts." He gives her a tight hug and strokes the her cheek whilst looking gleefully in her eyes. "I am incredebly happy you decided to join me in this mad race."

Then the winners are announced. And it seems they have won. The blonde dwarf blinks once, blinks twice and cannot believe it still. Hadn't they been way behind the others? Had his paddling actually worked? Or was it because of that last waterfall?
Perplexed he accepts the first place medal. "Thank you, he stammers at the faux-bearded Rohir. "I don't think I can remember ever winning something as prestigious as this. It means a lot."

@Elarith @Aodh Hammerhelm : Thank you for organising this wonderful experience! I kinda joined on a whim, but still got rather invested in this wacky, awesome race!
@The other teams: It has been an honour racing you people! You were far more imaginative than I could have been and really spurred me on to invest myself a bit more. Thank you so much!
@Queen Nerwen All my love, Loveling. Thanks you for putting up with me.
Some think to be strong is to be hard like stone. Others know to be strong is to endure like stone.

Dúnadan
Cal' couldn't quite believe it. He knew that the Bootyteers had been in with a chance but things had been so close as the tubs crossed the finish line. "Second, Léo," he grinned at his friend as they walked up to get their medals. "Another mile and we could have won it. Or may be not. My tub wasn't much of a tub anymore."

He bowed his thanks to Raedbeard @Elarith and went down on a knee so she could hang his medal round his neck. Thankfully the pumpkin skin necklace had vanished in the river. "Thank you for a great race," he said to the bearded pirate lady. "Léowine and me will be back for the next one... I think?!"

OOC: Thanks @Durien for getting us so close ;) Thanks also Rustbucket and Silaes for trying to sink us and then fixing us.
man of gondor < Image > heart of rohan

New Soul
The Team Previously Known as the Minnow

The Minnow had put up a good fight, but the last waterfall did the trusty craft in. It survived bumping it's way down the canyon, but the last drop was impressive, and the Minnow's seaworthiness was no more.

Grasping her canvas bag, Gwai followed Shivased toward the shore, and threw herself down on the bank next to her, watching pieces of what had been the Minnow float away downstream. "Maybe we can build the Minnow II before next summer's race!" Gwai suggested, feeling bad for Shivased.

Hearing her name behind them, Gwai looked up as a cart came up to scoop them up and take them back. Gwai stood up and offered a hand to Shivased. It would be nice to be dry again!

OOC: Thanks so much @Elarith and @Aodh Hammerhelm! This was crazy, and fun, making it crazy fun, the best combination! :smiley11:

Sage of Khazad-dûm
Nerwen
Winner winner ducky dinner

She didn't think she had ever been quite so soaked in her entire life. The waterfall, the rapids, the bog, the pool! It had all been quite an adventure. As they clambered out of their tubs, Nerwen instinctively reached for Balfur's hand. Reunited, she wasn't about to let him drift back into the shadows of strange adventure and aimless wandering. "We survived" she whispered, squeezing his hand. "We can go and get any dinner we like now!"

It seemed not all teams had been so lucky. Indeed, a few people were still in the water at the bottom of the waterfall. Bits of flotsam had started to flow down the river, smashed bits of tubs, strings of rope, but luckily no limbs or contestants. Then, in her knee-length boots, beard and tricorn hat, the race leader stepped up to the dias and address the crowd...

Nerwen gasped! They'd won! She flung an arm around her husband and planted a kiss on his cheek. Now this was a medal she would be happy to wear she thought, accepting it from an official. "Thank you" she said breathlessly, looking around her, grinning.

OOC: @Elarith @Aodh Hammerhelm Thank you so much for the fun!
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!