Fangorn Forever - OOC

For Fangorn is old, old even as the Elves would reckon it.
Ent High Elder
Hello folks, the Keepers of the Lists is now back up and running! I really liked @Li.'s suggestion of a discussion on the scientific ecology of Middle-earth, so we can kick off the conversation with that. I'm excited to see what people think!

Thread here (and updated link in the original post): viewtopic.php?f=16&t=107

Fea
Mojo wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 am Oooh would anyone be interested in a thread on gardening and treecare tips? I am not much of a gardener myself, but I could certainly use the tips as well. It would bridge the gap between real life and the Plaza a bit, but it would be very on-brand for Fangorn. What do you all think?
Am late to the party (a day or so) but I would love this! I am in a city apartment, so I'm stuck to just container gardens, but I aim for at least a few herbs and veggies every year!!

Ent High Elder
TEEEEEEELLLLLEEEEEEE

*RUN HUG TACKLE GLOMPS*
(Sidebar: I think "glomps" is a Plaza-exclusive term... feels good to say it again!)

You're never late to the party!

Also, seems like there's a lot of support for this "Gardening Tips" thread...now we just need someone with the expertise to help us all :smiley9:
Fangorn Forever

Fea
YAYYYYYYY *kermit flail*

Yes! I still love using glomp/gwomp. I think ickle is also special to us, too, as I have yet to see it elsewhere haha!

I'm happy to open/start the a garden thread, if that would help. Any good punny name ideas? I love ALL the thread ideas so far, and I do like the idea of going ham and seeing where things land, whether people are engaged or not. Happy to help as best I can!

It truly is so good to see so many familiar names from so long ago. I know this is an exceptional time for many of us, but even if this is temporary, it is AWESOME.

Ent High Elder
I am 100% here for any and all puns...I am a father now after all so I have fully embraced dad jokes and puns.

Some words/phrases we might be able to play with:
Cultivation
Horticulture
Greenhouse
Gardens of the Entwives
Fangorn Forever

New Soul
how about EHS - Entish Horticultural Society, like the English equivalent RHS.
Hi, Telepwen! good to see you rejoin the Forest.

Ent High Elder
I like that! Since it seems like we have some interest in this I'm cool with someone starting it up and if we come up with another name at some point in the future we can always rebrand it, but I like the connection with the RHS.

Also, in browsing back through Old Fangorn on the wayback machine, there were a lot of things called "society" so that fits with the Fangorn "Brand" as well. For instance, there was a "Picture Improvement Society" which was a caption contest...speaking of which, for how easy it is to create memes these days, a Caption Contest and/or Meme contest could be great fun!
Fangorn Forever

Weathered Ent
@Mojo

Here a couple of modifications of these words to make them more Fangorn. See of you like them.

Horticulture -- Huornculture - after all the trees here are turning limb lithe and that is one source of the Huorns.
Greenhouse - Enthouse - Do they actually build greenhouses in Fangorn? But there are plenty of Enthouses and they may bring seedlings into them to shelter them while tender.
Cultivation - Entivation
Gardens of the Entwives - Entwife gardens
Huorn of Fangorn

Ent High Elder
These are all good suggestions! I think my one concern about calling a thread "Gardens of the Entwives" (while it might be the most in-character title, given that the Entwives were gardeners and the Ents were foresters) is that it might come across as exclusionary or scare away non-Entwives from participating. (And yes, I fully realize it was my suggestion but I've thought about it more since I threw it out there and am leaning in a different direction.)

I liked Nienna's suggestion as well, but maybe there's a way to combine the ideas? Something like "Entish Horticultural Society: Cultivating Curiosity"

I believe we can change thread titles after they're started as well, so we could always just get the conversation thread started and see how it evolves.
Fangorn Forever

Weathered Ent
We could just name it the Entish Gardening Bee -- That would include any Fangorn resident or outsider wanting to come in and participate.
Yeah, I am not even a Ent, so take Entwife off the title would allow me in.

Horiculture is actually a blanket term that covers all types of plant care. So we don't even need a a specific Entwife garden thread. It would be included under that title.

I do like Nienna's suggestion the best.
Huorn of Fangorn

Enting
I was thinking of something with music. The Fangorn Song Parody Company, what was it exactly?
We could make songs, hold the best lyrics contest, discuss music and instruments.
I would be happy to host that if there is interest for it.
Little bonsai tree

Wise Ent
Eurie wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:00 am I was thinking of something with music. The Fangorn Song Parody Company, what was it exactly?
We could make songs, hold the best lyrics contest, discuss music and instruments.
I would be happy to host that if there is interest for it.
I'm up for this, even if it's just Entish parodies of old pop songs, like "Hoom hoom hoom hoom, I want you in my roots".

Esquire of The Mark
I like "Entish Horticultural Society: Cultivating Curiosity" :)

I also love the idea of a Fangorn Song Parody Company
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

Enting
Hoom! It's so fantastic to see Fangorn again. Many many lovely memories were made here (even though I wasn't even that active, I had only 1 hour of Internet per day back then lol) The picture improvement society was lots of fun and the squizzle races! I was also active in the treegarth for a while but I'm more the quick and easy silly roleplaying kind of Ent. So I'm definitely up for those pop song Entifications :smiley8:
Now as a linguist I'd definitely be interested in making up Entish words and I really like the idea of a gardening thread. I always loved forests and am now dreaming of creating my own food forest in my garden. FENTastic Forest Garden maybe? No? Yes I've got the Dad-jokes down even as a Mom :smiley9:

Enting
Yeey! Will start setting up the thread and put it up soon! Or when bf wants to watch movies, tomorrow after work :smiley16: . Have some ideas to start off.
Welcome back @Goldberri !
Yeah the entish word thread could be real fun too.
Little bonsai tree

Ent High Elder
This is great! I go to bed for the night and come back and a bunch of stuff happened...just like the old days! Awesome work everyone!

@Eurie you pretty much nailed the spirit of the Song Parody Company. I think at its most "formal" (which should be read with heavy quotation marks because it was never very formal) we had a general "topic" and let people design their own song parodies around that idea, but beyond that there wasn't much structure.

Welcome back @Goldberri!!
Fangorn Forever

Enting
@Mojo Haha thanks! Have some more ideas for events etc. But that's for later. Also thinking of making a small banner for the thread. Tree with notes on the branches or something... Will be for tomorrow after work :smiley8:
Little bonsai tree

Ent High Elder
Speaking of banners, we need to design one for our Fangorn forum as a whole. I'm not the most artistic person, so others would probably be better taking the lead on that one. See the Entmoot thread for more details/discussion -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=133
Fangorn Forever

Ent High Elder
FOLKS! I dug out my old photobucket password (only took me a branchful of tries to get it right) and I had some old Fangorn images on there!

From the time the forest got lit on fire (I think @Flame Fried Ent was partially responsible for that)

Peak Mojo silliness/classic rock references

My semi-OC Robert The Plant

Old Fangorn Word Sleuth Board
Fangorn Forever

Enting
Wauw that looks amazing! The woodstock one is :smiley22: .
The first one is nice to put in the first post. Maybe I can do that if my creation turns out an abomination? :smiley16:
Little bonsai tree

Weathered Ent
Entish musical instruments

Rock drum - from a rock with the middle carved out and the top made from shed pieces of bark.

Sticks -- again shed.

Bottles -- these can be played by blowing across the top.

Just some ideas.
Huorn of Fangorn

Fea
I am loving all of this. Especially the fact everyone had to have a very entish style discussion on what we were doing!. I'm going to try and catch up with everything tomorrow but trying to solo wrangle 7 yr old twinspawn in lockdown and home school /referee does get a bit distracting!.

Weathered Ent
We are having a moot about what we should do in our little kingdom. Except I am a little hastier since I am Huorn :mrgreen:
Huorn of Fangorn

Wise Ent
I remember some of those! Especially Robert the Plant!

And yeah, that first one is from our burning. Good times, good times.....
Do not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for You are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup.

Weathered Ent
The think Robert the Plant made his appearance when I was out sick. I don't really remember him. I did a stint, turning tree because I will pretty ill from 2009 onwards.
But now I am back.
Huorn of Fangorn

Ent High Elder
@Catiri one of my kids just turned 7, I can't imagine having twins though...good luck! (Fortunately for us my wife has been homeschooling our kids for about 2 years so at least that part of the lockdown hasn't been a massive change, other than not being able to take field trips).
Fangorn Forever

Weathered Ent
My son who was small when I was first on the plaza is now an adult and out on his own. He now flies airplanes. How time flies. No pun intended. :mrgreen:
Huorn of Fangorn

Ent High Elder
That was an amazing pun though! 👏👏👏

Time does fly, and that seems like a pretty cool job, hope he's doing okay with the current pandemic.
Fangorn Forever

Weathered Ent
He's having to take all his coursework right now via the internet. He's still in college. I had to send him a laptop last week so that he could do his coursework. Other than that he's staying healthy. As for me. I already had the virus. Lost my sense of smell and it behaved more like a flu bug. I didn't really get that sick from it.
Huorn of Fangorn

Ent High Elder
Whew, glad you're okay and made it through!!

On another note.....

......@Morim is baaaaack
Fangorn Forever

Weathered Ent
He's baack! We can make @Morim and @Mojo Treebeard and Quickbeam. I remember when you two were Fangorn's rulers.
Huorn of Fangorn

Ent High Elder
Oak wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:00 am He's baack! We can make @Morim and @Mojo Treebeard and Quickbeam. I remember when you two were Fangorn's rulers.
If I recall correctly, we were Finglas and Fladrif and left the "Treebeard" title temporarily retired out of deference/honor to Achoo who had ruled Fangorn seemingly forever before stepping up into an Admin role.
Fangorn Forever

Weathered Ent
It was so long ago. I wonder where Achoo is these days? Not all the members used Facebook. I had to be talked into using Facebook and I still don't like it. It kinda spoils the 'magic' of it all. I am not that interested in the RL side of the members here.
Huorn of Fangorn

Khazad Elder
Ohh man I remember Achoo. He ruled Fangorn for so long. When I think of Treebeard on the plaza, it is his name that pops up.

And welcome back Morim! Good to see you.

Wise Ent
MORIM! I remember you!

I also replaced you as ruler just before the Olympics. Thanks for sticking me with that btw....

yeah, Achoo was Treebeard forever! I always preferred Quickbeam--who was my ruler icon.
Do not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for You are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup.

Ent High Elder
Achoo was never very active on AIM or MSN messenger back in the day, so nearly all of my interactions with him were on the Plaza. I checked the Plaza Facebook group and didn't see him in the "Real Names to Plaza Names" list either, so I'm not sure.

Speaking of Plaza activities, some other Kingdoms have started Pubs....didn't old Fangorn have some kind of unique Pub? I don't recall the details at the moment.
Fangorn Forever

Khazad Elder
I think personally Fangorn should find something other than a pub. Pubs are cool but what about..hmm a spa or something unique and different. I don't know I'm not that creative. As long as it's not a lumber mill.

Ent High Elder
From what I remember, our Pub was different than the others, but I don't recall the exact details of it. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine remembers?
Fangorn Forever

Weathered Ent
We called our pub a 'pulb' and we served berry smoothies and an assortment of Entdrafts

There was even a Entdraft 'Pulb' light RP game where there where numbered Entdrafts that had certain effects on the member. I saved the graphic for that game if you want to play that game again.
Huorn of Fangorn

Ent High Elder
Oooh yes! The Pulb! That's what it was!

And you're right - you had to order a drink at the start but the drinks did different things to different people, which you had to incorporate into your next post. I remember that being a lot of fun. I'd be up for seeing something like that in the forest again, do you think you could run it @Oak?
Fangorn Forever

Weathered Ent
@Mojo

Yes I could! I still have the cover art with the different Entdaughts for it. I'll go ahead and make up the list of effects in my cloud so I can keep track of it and I'll start the thread if that is what you want.
Huorn of Fangorn

Ent High Elder
Absolutely, that sounds great! Thanks for being willing to take this on! I think it'll be a lot of fun for everyone!
Fangorn Forever

Wise Ent
That sounds interesting....
I wonder if we could get Debate and Drill going? Never was much for lots of RPing....and the lore stuff will give me a chance to reread everything

Ent High Elder
Did someone say.....DEBATE? *dramatic turn and look from Mojo*

In seriousness though, I'm not sure if I have time to do a full-fledged all-kingdoms debate league, but the last time I did Debate (which was probably about 10 years ago, wow time flies!) we had a pretty good setup where anyone who wanted to participate in that topic could sign up and we'd randomly pick teams.
Fangorn Forever

Ent High Elder
Also, we do have the Keepers of the Lists thread for discussing Lore-related stuff here that is slowly getting back into the swing of things!
Fangorn Forever

Ent High Elder
Also, this "MorPix" thread is a really fun idea. With how easy it is to make memes these days, we could probably have a really fun meme-making contest. Are there any good ways to make "meme" into a tree/Ent pun?
Fangorn Forever

Khazad Elder
That pub sounds awesome. I’d be down for it.

And Mojo, that MorPix thread is exactly the kind of thing I found hilarious about the plaza. The memes could spread from here. Lol

Wise Ent
Yes, @Mojo , I DID mention Debate. Why do you ask? :smiley9:

We could start with Keepers of the List...and maybe if this thing lasts, do some mini-debates here in Fangy and see how things go.

Will be fun, but also give us time to get caught up on all the lore. I know how long it's been since I've read HoME, for example. :P

Enting
:smiley9: I just realized how much knowledge left my head to be replaced by other stuff. :smiley16: I'm really, really rusty on the lore side of Middle Earth. And I'm too busy with work and family life to spend too much time going into serious role playing. So I guess I'll be more of a lurker, just like most of my old days :smiley8:
I fondly remember Achoo though, he was one of the first people I interacted with on the plaza and who got me to come out of my shell and join in the fun. The internet was still pretty new to me when I joined.
But I so love seeing this old version of Fangorn again! And all this artwork @Mojo! Just fantastic :smiley17:

Ent High Elder
@Flame Fried Ent literally me:

@Goldberri I feel the same way! I once told someone I'd forgotten more about LotR than most people know about it in their lifetime, which is probably the same for many of us here! :smiley9:
Fangorn Forever