Behind the Bark: Then and Now

For Fangorn is old, old even as the Elves would reckon it.
Ent High Elder
Since we're all getting back into the swing of things and have all grown up quite a bit since the old days of the Plaza, it was mentioned in the "Fangorn Forever" thread that we should bring back our picture thread - "Behind the Bark."

A few other kingdoms have launched their own picture threads, as well:
Riders Unhorsed
Behind the Beards
Provide Your Head to Sauron

As an added layer of fun (and nostalgia) if you'd like, you can post a picture from your old plaza days alongside an updated one just so we can all see how much everyone has grown up!

Remember, be respectful to each other and have fun!
Last edited by Mojo on Mon May 18, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fangorn Forever

Ent High Elder
I'll start....

Back from my early Plaza days (I think I took this picture while on vacation shortly after I became a ruler and it was used in my Valinor profile)

And more recently, my wife and I (wearing VERY on-brand shirts) with our littlest Enting
Fangorn Forever

Wise Ent
I can't find any snaps of me from back in the early-mid 2000s, so here is a recent(ish) picture of me when I received my PhD in biology :smiley8:

Mojo, I remember that picture of you with the balloon! I photoshopped it so your head was swapped :smiley9:

Ent High Elder
@Li. I'd forgotten all about that face-balloon-swap photoshop until you just mentioned it! Oh man those were some good times 😂😂

Also, congrats on the PhD!
Fangorn Forever

Fea
Congrats on the PhD, Li!

So I'm joining the fun just cause I always loved these faces behind the icons threads. This photo was taken after getting our GCSE results, so summer 2008 (12 years ago - yikes) - which I think was probably still when I was fairly active on the plaza outside of OoME. I can't remember which year I switched from Rohan to Fangorn, but I feel it appropriate for the purposes of this thread and my current kingdom choice that I am sat in a tree.

And fast forward 10 years later... this was one of my civil service career highlights so far :smiley8:

Esquire of The Mark
Everyone is looking so good! You don't look older, just more grown up, if you know what I mean?

For my part:

Here is me about 2-3 years after I joined the Plaza, the earliest photo I have of me online I think. I would have been 17.

Fun fact - the original, uncropped image includes two other ex-Plazaites Medieval_Ara and Pip Reyonea, my two best friends in real life at the time. I left them out as they're not here to see it.

And here is me around last year, age 33 - I haven't had my photo taken this year yet as usually it only happens when I am on holiday! I'm the one without the beard, the bearded one is my husband of 10 years. If it looks a bit windy its because we are on a ferris wheel.

Observations - I have better sunglasses now, and cameras have improved.
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

Khazad Elder
So many very attractive trees! It’s funny how young and awkward soo many people were on the Plaza (as is usual with young people) and how many have blossomed into such attractive people!

Mojo I like the facial hair
Li congrats on the PhD
Nia I love your boots O.O
Better sunglasses, better camera, bearded man. Looks like lots has improved!

Picture of me a few years after joining the plaza. Still in my active stage, around 17-18 years old.

Here is a picture of me in my quarantine prison.

New Soul
wow, it's incredible, how little everybody has changed over such a long time. All grown up now with partners and kids! Wonderful!

Istari Novice
Congrats on the PhD Li.!

Nia, I'm pretty sure I have a picture of me in that same tree somewhere in my old photos of my England visit a decade ago. Or maybe it was a tree close by? Or maybe it just looked like that one? Sorry, I'm not as good at recognizing different trees as you all are. :smiley10:

Fairy Nuff, right?! Everyone looks like the more mature version of their first plaza self.

Oro, it's funny how much a slight change in glasses can completely change someone's look. Also funny how different glasses trends have changed. Back in 2006/2007, I would make fun of my dad's old graduation photos where him and all 3 of his brothers are wearing those black, thick-rimmed "Buddy Holly" style glasses. Now, those are basically the trend and I think the very thin-rimmed glasses look awful on me!

Well, since us wizzies have no home at the moment, Fangorn is as good as any to post in! Hope you don't mind, I swear the whole chopping down your woods/burning your friends was all Saruman's idea.

Anyways, here's one of me back in 2007, which was around the time I started becoming very active on the Plaza.

Aaannnddd here's me now. A couple minor changes, but nothing too drastic. :smiley10:

Oh, and since some people are posting pictures of their children, here's mine:
His name is Wyn.

Fea
@Sovielus you probably did, it was definitely near where we met in Reading! Speaking of, I just went hunting for the photo of us, which I am sure was taken somewhere nearby, but sadly cannot find it :smiley14:

Wyn is adorable! I'm in the unlucky camp of people who are pet-less, so I live vicariously through other people's pets. I do have a pretty good relationship with a squirrel in our back garden, which we have named Clive, if that counts.

This was the one of the last pre lockdown excursions I did to see a friend's new cat. I was utterly besotted, as you can tell (look at those EYES!!). Dr Meowstus was less enamoured.

Istari Novice
@Nia, sounds familiar. We have rabbits in the backyard and more just keep popping up! One unfortunately broke his leg or something when he was little, but he's still alive and kicking (pun intended)! He has learned to adapt by more or less crawling at high speeds since he can't hop. We called him Champion.
Been thinking about getting a cat, but Wyn is already enough of a handful (he's a smart little bugger and he knows it).

Oh, and by the way... look at these BEAUTIES that I dug up! About a decade old now, I think. :smiley9: :smiley9: :smiley9:

Fea
Yes - you found them!! :smiley8: Hahahah oh I love them all!! Bright-eyed and baby faced! (I wasn't exactly pushing the boat out in the tree climbing department though was I?!) :smiley9: I had thought they were taken in Forbury Gardens, glad to see my memory serves me well. And that is so typical UK; both of us out with the umbrellas in hand. I must admit I'd forgotten the rain!

Istari Savant
Got a lil' fancy for dinner the other night. Don't have a photo from my earlier days handy, but I'll do some digging for a comparison.

What, she killed them with mathematics. What else could it have been? - Jayne Cobb

Ent High Elder
Everyone is out here growing quarantine beards and @Túrin is dressing like James Bond. Well done, sir!
Fangorn Forever

Fea
Not being able to grow a quarantine beard is something I am really quite sad about.

Istari Steward
@Túrin Man, classy photo!
@Mojo I love the family picture, everyone looks so happy!
@Sovielus It's weird to see those old photos, I feel like I remember seeing at least one of them soooo many years ago on the old plaza. I see you have also joined the beard club.

I have too, but I don't have a good hosting site account for pictures yet, so they will have to wait until things settle down and I can look into that.

Fea
Welcoming our newest plaza member @Fory !! We've been friends since day one of secondary school at the grand old age of 11, joined the Plaza together back in the day (around time of the bottom right photo, which was my 13th birthday). And despite my being the world's most ANNOYING chemistry partner, we've stayed friends ever since (see other two photos) :smiley8: :smiley17:

New Soul
Nia wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:32 pm Welcoming our newest plaza member @Fory !! We've been friends since day one of secondary school at the grand old age of 11, joined the Plaza together back in the day (around time of the bottom right photo, which was my 13th birthday). And despite my being the world's most ANNOYING chemistry partner, we've stayed friends ever since (see other two photos) :smiley8: :smiley17:
Hey people, long time no see! I'm trying to remember the last time I would have been here - scary thing is it's probably significantly over a decade :?

So many good teenage memories from the plaza though!

(highly thankful for the hugely photogenic pictures)

Warrior of Imladris
You look like Good People. :smiley8:
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Black Númenórean
There are some seriously marvelous ents and wizzies and candles in this thread.
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Awww, how cool that I found an egg in Oro's post! *treasures*

Ancalagon edit: My baby! *Hides it somewhere safe*
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
And now a coin in Mojo's post! This seems to be a beloved thread for treasure hunting.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength