It's All Child's Play!

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Knight of The Mark

Tucked into a spacious room at the back of Meduseld, well protected from any attacks, is the royal nursery. It is equipped with cots and a variety of toys, including wooden building blocks, dolls (both crude and luxuriously clothed), toy wooden swords, stick horses with real horse hair attached at the top to resemble a mane, and tiny little plates and mugs for pretend meals. Here Théodred, Éomer, and Éowyn often play while weightier matters are being discussed in other parts of the Royal Hall.

On this day, there are many small visitors to the nursery, and a younger Eléowyn has been engaged to watch over them all. She has taken a place on a stool in one corner, waiting for the tots to arrive.

Thread suggestions for a happier experience for all (especially Eléowyn :grin:):
  • This role play is open to players from any kingdom, but please play as a Rohir, or at least a human. I don’t think Eléo is quite prepared to oversee a bunch of orclings
  • Your character can be a character from Tolkien canon, played as a child, of course, and these characters will be first come-first served. Once a character has been claimed, please choose someone else. You can also play as your own character as a child, or any NPC you prefer.
  • Please keep your character aged 12 or under.
  • At the top of each post, please state the character’s name and age, so I can keep up with who you are.
  • For purposes of this thread, it is alright to play a little fast and loose with ages. In other words, characters who might not otherwise have been children at the same time can interact here. After all, it’s all child’s play!
  • And finally, Eléowyn will only interfere when necessary (i.e., to keep the little ones from actually harming each other).
Last edited by Eléowyn on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knight of The Mark
Eléowyn looked about the room with a scowl on her face. How had she been tricked into this situation? Her husband had been called to Edoras for a muster to rout out a band of Dunlendings who had been pouring through the Gap of Rohan. Come with me, he had said. You can stay in Edoras until I return. What he had not told her was that she had been selected to oversee the group of children who would be accompanying their parents and left to be cared for—by her. Not that she didn’t like children. She did, very much. After all, she had two of her own. But being nanny was not what she had in mind when she had agreed to accompany her husband. Shopping, and maybe a night or two stay at a comfortable inn—those had been on her mind. And a good natter with some other women, something that life on the farm did not often afford.

Ah well, life was full of surprises, so after straightening up the toys a bit, she took a seat and waited for the children to arrive.

Esquire of The Mark
The first to show up was a girl, with straw blond hair that no doubt had been carefully brushed and plaited before she was brought here, but somehow already had managed to half escape it's perfectly groomed state. One get little thumb was lodged in her mouth, one hand held firmly by her mother. That hand also somehow managed to confine a little arm that belonged to a ragdoll and the tail of a cloth horse filled with straw. The mothers look was a mixture of stern, fond, and slightly exasperated as it seems the young lass had managed to find every single puddle on the way here.
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Knight of The Mark
@Eldrith

It did not take long for the first of the children to arrive—an adorable little girl. An adorable little girl who evidently enjoyed splashing in puddles. Eléo was happy to see her nonetheless; she had only boys and had always longed for a little girl.

“What’s your name, dear,” she asked, leaning down so the girl could see her smile. “And how old are you.” Eléo reached out a hand to the child. “I see you have brought a few toys of your own. Would you like to see some of the ones here?”

Knight of The Mark
NPC: Edda

The next child to arrive was a little redhead with tousled braids and a green dress that, while clean, was mussed and rumpled. A toy sword was held firmly in the hand not clasped by her mother as she was tugged into the nursery by a rather exasperated looking woman with a baby held in her other arm. Her mother let go and sighed as the lass crossed her arms and gave her a mutinous look. Don't wanna be here! I want to play swords wif papa! she declared shrilly.

The mother gave the woman running the nursery (Eleowyn) an apologetic look. I'm sorry. Her father and I can't get any work done with her around. I'll pick her up later! The woman was talking to another little girl and the mother didn't bother to wait and see if she had been heard. She gave her daughter a stern look and a warning to behave, then hurried out.

With her mother gone Edda deflated slightly but kept her mutinous stance and look. She did not want to be here! Papa had promised to play swords with her, and instead mama had brought her here! She wasn't a baby, she didn't need a nursery!

Esquire of The Mark
NPC post Hanna

Over Hanna's head, her mother sent a slightly apologetic look that had more to do with the mud than the child. She dearly loved her handful and had no doubt she was in good hands, which meant that for just a few hours she ha time to herself without Hanna knocking over the butter churn or trying to get into the chicken coop. With a quick kiss she left her daughter.

The girl looked up, somewhat shy and mumbled her name. Then, as if realizing something of importance she took her thumb out of her mouth and answered more audibly* Hanna. *There was a pause as large eyes assessed you and the room, momentarily shy but then followed by a quick nod* I like toys. You can play with MY toys as well. *she added magnanimously.
As Edda was brought in, Hanna moved closer to Eléowyn, attempting to hide in her skirts, backing away from the sword and the shrill voice. Muffled from behind the fabric, she held out a hand, with the horsey in it, clutching the doll close to herself*

I have a horse!!

Knight of The Mark
@Eldrith @Gwai

Eléowyn smiled wider at Hanna's shy response. "Hanna. That's a very pretty name. And that's very generous of you to offer to share your toys. I hope that soon there will be more children in here to play and share with you."

"Ah, look, here is one now!" she said, with a quick nod at Edda's mother's retreating back. "Hello," she said, "Did I hear your mother call you Edda? That is also a very pretty name."

She reached behind her skirt and tried to extract Hanna to bring her forward. "Hanna, this is Edda. Perhaps the two of you would like to play together."

Eléo paused for a moment to assess the situation. Edda definitely looked the more intractable of the two.

"Hanna, perhaps if you play swords with Edda for a while, then she might play dolls with you. And you can definitely include your sweet little horsey. We have extra swords and dolls right over here. What do you think, girls, does that sound like fun?"

New Soul
Gandalf
Age 5

Gandalf tugged open the door to the royal nursery, staff in hand, and looked around. There were a couple of girls in there, and one woman, but no other Istari. He wasn't sure why he had been dropped off here, and wasn't entirely happy about it.

One of the girls inside was hiding behind the woman (Hanna), and the other (Edda) was holding a sword. The sword looked like fun, Gandalf brightened. Perhaps this wouldn't be so bad after all! He wasn't shy, either. He walked closer to the other two children. "I have a staff, do you want to play war? I know magic!" he boasted somewhat inaccurately.

Knight of The Mark
NPC: Edda

Edda didn't realize there was another girl with the woman (Eéowyn until the toy horsey was held out to her and the girl declared "I have a horse!" I have a sword! she replied, brightening a little bit. Not much, but a little. My papa made it! Did your papa make your horsey?

The woman suggested they play together and that made Edda frown again. She didn't know if she wanted to play. She was supposed to be playing with papa, and at 5 years old she didn't let go of what she wanted to do very easily. I'm supposed to be playing swords with papa. He said he would, but mama brought me here instead. She isn't nice! She stomped her foot to emphasize how angry she was at her mama.

A boy (Gandalf) came in then, carrying a big stick that he said was a staff, and asked if they wanted to play war. Can't play war. You gotta have a sword to play war, and I'm the only one with a sword! she told the boy in the superior voice her ten year old sister liked to use. Evr'one knows that! She then pointed at the other girl, Hannah She has a horsey though! He said he knew magic, but she ignored that. How could he know magic if he didn't know you had to have a sword to play war?
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Knight of The Mark
"Well, hello there," Eléo greeted the youngster (Gandalf) who had just entered, carrying what he described as a staff. She glanced toward the door, but saw no one who might have dropped him off. All of the parents sure seemed in a hurry today to drop off their little ones and run. She sighed, thinking about the shopping that she herself had planned for her stay in Edoras--some shoes for the boys, a new kettle, maybe even a new dress for herself if she could find one that was not too dear. Speaking of the boys--where were they? Their father was to drop them off after letting them have a look around the stables and armory. She would really have her hands full once they arrived.

She was a little concerned that Hanna might be a little too shy to engage in the kind of rough play that Edda and Gandalf were interested in, so she suggested a game instead, to loosen the children up.

"Why don't we play a game of Follow the Leader?" she suggested hopefully. "Gandalf, maybe you could be leader first, with your staff. Then each of you can take a turn being leader. Do you all know how to play that game?"

Chieftain of The Mark
NPC: Grima and Gálmód

Gálmód crept up to the nursery door, a wiggling sack was slung over one of his spindly shoulders. He dropped the sack on the step and gave it a kick.

"Shush now!" he growled. "Yer dad's got work to do down the pub, he has no time for yer puling and mischief. You'll love it here, a bairn should be with other bairns, do you kennit? That's how they learn to move up in the world... they make connections and learn their letters and lessons. I'll be back for you at sundown, make sure you play only with the brats that look spoiled and regal!"

Gálmód rapped loudly on the door, gave the twitching sack another kick, then hurried away towards Hostellers' Row and cheap ale. Within the hour he was pleasantly pickled, the problem of raising a five year old son alone no longer a pressing concern.

New Soul
Gandalf
Age 5

Gandalf listened in disbelief as Edda said you had to have a sword to play war. "A staff is much better than a sword!" Gandalf retorted, although somewhat jealous he didn't have a sword also. He'd have to work on getting one. Maybe a big, fancy one that would glow when orcs were around. He'd keep that in the back of his mind. Going back to the present issue, however, he continued, "I can play war with a staff just as good as you with your sword," he said with a bit of a pout.

The grown-up (Eléo) suggested a game of follow the leader instead, and Gandalf nodded. He knew this game. There was a brief knock on the door, but nobody came through, so Gandalf ignored it. Holding his staff high, he set off toward the other side of the room. With his other hand he dug into the pocket of his robes. He had recently started designing what he had decided to call fireworks (Istari parental supervision took what could be described as a hands-off approach), and he had brought some small ones in his pocket, and thought Hanna and Edda might enjoy these. Hopefully he could light them with his staff. He had been practicing, and was suddenly worried he'd get nervous, and Edda might make fun of him if he couldn't light them.

Knight of The Mark
Eléo was quite relieved that her suggestion of playing Follow the Leader had won approval from at least one of the children. Good, she thought. That avoids the staff vs sword argument, at least for now.

Before the game could start, Eléo heard a quick rap on the door, a thump, then retreating footsteps. Cautiously, she opened the door and found a squirming sack at her feet. Looking up and down the hallway, all she saw was the back of a man who was moving at great speed. Shaking her head, she gingerly opened the sack and saw a young boy Grima inside, looking a little bruised and none too happy.

"Oh, you poor dear!" she cried, peeling the sack back. "Come inside and join us. We were just about to play a nice game. Look, children, here is a new friend to join in the fun!"

Chieftain of The Mark
NPC: Grima ap Gálmód: 5 summers

Grima tried to focus on the face of the lady (Eléowyn) who’d opened his sack. The sudden light was very bright; his eyes blinked in his pale face, his tongue darted nervously across his lower lip. He was not the most comely of children, the butt of constant teasing by the brats in his village, and ever wary of new faces. Kind words were another thing that made him suspicious, for they were often the lure that bated cruel folks’ traps.

He goggled up at the lady and recoiled into an awkward squat. “I don’t like fun,” he lisped, peering up at his rescuer like a bleached, malformed toad. “It’s always made to make Grima look silly, don’t you see..?

I want to go back to my nice safe cellar… Please!”

--
@Eléowyn

Knight of The Mark
Eléo wanted to scoop up the poor young bairn Grima and hug him, but she refrained out of fear it would startle him. Clearly he had seen little love in his short life, and he was as likely to think she was about to swat him as to hug him.

Instead she said, 'Oh, do not worry about being made to look silly. I look silly half the time. But I promise you I will let no one mock you or taunt you. Anyone who tries will answer to me. Now, come, why don't you get in line for Follow the Leader, and I will march right behind you."

She made a mental note to herself to seek an audience with Théoden King to discuss the home situation of poor Grima.

Esquire of The Mark
NPC Hanna

*there had been children. Other children and while at first she had managed to be BRAVE and push the horsey out from behind Eleowyn's skirts, to possibly, maybe play with Edda, or ward her off as things might be, when another BOY came in, and with a staff, she'd gone back to hiding in the folds. Which meant, small hand now clamped firmly on that skirt, she had bodily attached herself to her while Edda and Gandalf discussed the merits of staff vs. sword. As Eleowyn moved towards the door and then the sack.. so did Hanna, both horse and doll still firmly clutched.
She now managed to peek out, barely at the boy in the sack who wanted to go back to the cellar. She frowned. She would offer to help but she wasn't sure if she was strong enough. Then it dawned on her and with a smile, mostly hidden still behind skit, she gave a helpful offer*

If you can carry him, I can carry the sack for you to the cellar!

Chieftain of The Mark

Grima eyed the lady warily; her voice was kind and her face very pretty. He couldn’t remember much of his own mother, but he thought she would have looked and sounded like this woman. He tore his gaze from her as a child (Hanna) appeared at the door. She seemed nice enough and she had some toys in her little hands. As soon as Grima saw the horsey, he knew he had to have it.

“Follow the Leader is for, babbies”,” he said to the lady as he scrambled out of the sack. He squared his spindly shoulders and glared at the girl: “I don’t need carrying, and you can’t come to my cellar, but give me that horse and I’ll be your friend.”

--
@Eléowyn @Eldrith

Knight of The Mark
Eléowyn held back a chuckle as Hanna emerged from behind her skirts and announced she would help get Grima back to the cellar as he requested. "Thank you for the offer, Hanna," she replied, "but I think we will all remain here and play together. You were very kind to offer though."

"Now, Grima," she continued, turning her attention back to the poor lad, "Follow the Leader is not just for babies. I am certainly no baby, and I enjoy playing! We have some other horsies over here on the shelf, and you can carry one of them with you, if you like." She was far from certain that Hanna would be willing to give up her own horsey, as she seemed so attached to it.

New Soul
Gandalf
Age 5

Gandalf shoved the fireworks back in his robe pocket, wanting to wait for the perfect moment to set them off. This did not seem to be that moment. The new boy, Grima, was saying something about Follow the Leader looking silly, and he wanted to go to his cellar. This seemed concerning, as Gandalf thought he looked silly when he had been in the sack already, but decided the nicer thing would be not to say anything about that. He didn't have a good feeling about Grima, and he definitely didn't want Hanna to have to give him her horsey to be his friend.

Still, it did not do to be hasty, as one of his friends had told him before. Stepping forward, Gandalf added, "Come play with us Grima!" he exclaimed. "You can even be the leader first if you want," he offered generously, gesturing with his staff that Grima could stand in front of him and Edda.

Esquire of The Mark
*She smiled up brightly at Eleowyn with the kind of hero worship that belonged to those only expecting the best of the adults that surrounded them. She didn't seem as confident as Edda or Gandalf, but there was a soft determination in her voice as she said:
I like to help.
Gandalf was helping too, offering the boys the chance to go first which was a magnificent and terrifying offer at the same time. She smiled at him and then stared at the boy very, very long with large blue eyes as if she were considering deep matters.
Her mother had made the horse, from leftover scraps from her own dress and father's coat. And it was stuffed with little pieces of buckwheat in the legs so it could stand on it's own and.. she liked it.
After long and careful deliberation.. she held it out to Grima.*

You can be my friend. If you want.

Chieftain of The Mark

“It is so!” Grima spat at the lady (Eléowyn). “If I try to play it outside my house, father boxes my ears…”

The arrival of another child (Gandalf) stemmed the unfortunate looking bairn’s griping. Grima glared at the new comer.

Lead? Yes, so they can get behind Grima and make fun of him, or think up ideas like tripping or pushing him. The stick the second child held was just right for making mischief! No, If Grima was going to play Follow the Leader, follow he would. It would be better to be at the back of the line; that way he could keep an eye on the other children and make sure they didn't spring any nasty surprises on him!

All these thoughts fell away as the lass (Hanna) with the horsey made a decision. Grima’s eyes slanted with mistrust, he licked his lips then snatched the toy horse from her hands. “Thank you,” he said, not really meaning it. “I will give it back to you before home time.”

This was not true either. Grima aimed to take his prize when he left, and anything else he could wheedle or pilfer.

He squeezed by the lady now, tottering across the room on bandy legs, and set a covetous eye on the toys on the shelf on the far wall.

-

@Eléowyn @Eldrith @Gwai

Esquire of The Mark
NPC Hanna

*FOr a moment her eyes widened as Grima snatched the horse. She would have given it. But then her smile brightened and opened that whole, wide innocent face as he said thank you.*

My momma made it!

*There was a mixture of pride and awe in that. Her momma could make anything with a needle, and she kept the house clean, and she laid up cheese that was so good to eat, especially with honey, and she wasn't scared of the bees when gathering honey, while Hanna always was afraid of getting stung. And she made the best pies, ever.*

She's going to teach me too. I can do a bit of plain sewing.

*a straight line to hem the apron for herself that her mom had pinned, but she had done it and she was proud of it, even though the stitches were too long and uneven. Her voice was light now. For her this was chattering. She felt better doing things to busy herself so she all of a sudden found courage, grabbed Grima's hand and connected her own with Gandalfs, hoping Grima would reach for Edda.

New Soul
Gandalf
Age 5

Gandalf was surprised when Hanna generously offered the stuffed horse. It was a generous gesture. He felt he should do something kind as well, but rule number one of baby wizard school was not to give your staff away. Plus he’d already offered Grima to be the head of Follow the Leader, so he felt he did a good job already.

He was surprised then, when Grima took the offer poorly, didn’t respond, and instead just glared at Gandalf. He took the horsie, though. Hanna was telling them her mother made the horsey, and she was actually practicing as well. “Do you think you could make me one?” Gandalf asked quietly. “A white one, with a white mane and tail?”

Hanna soon reached for his hand, with Grima on the other side, and Gandal decided to lead off. “Follow the leader, here we go!” he called, staff in his other hand, heading straight for the wooden bench. “This is a mountain!” he called over his shoulder. “We’re going over it!”

@Eldrith@AodhHammerhelm

Edit OOC: oops sorry tagged Elarith by mistake!

Chieftain of The Mark

Grima's attention was dragged away from the toys on the shelf; he looked down and frowned as the horsey-girl (Hanna) grabbed his hand.

He was just about to push her away and say something nasty to her, something that would make her blubber and leave him alone, but the boy with the stick and hat (Gandalf) gave a loud shout and began marching across the room.

Hanna's hand tightened around Grima's clenched fist, and he was pulled along relentlessly, playing follow the leader whether he wanted to or not.

Mountain? These kids were already trying to trick Grima! There was no mountain - all he saw was a stout wooden bench that was going to bark his shins or bang him in the head.

Grima tried digging in his heels, but the floor, uncarpeted and polished, offered no purchase. He skidded along behind Hanna and Gandalf, the horse toy bobbing wildly in his free hand. The bench drew nearer and nearer. Grima's spindly legs trembled as he prepared to leap the oncoming obstacle.

-

@Eléowyn @Eldrith @Gwai

Knight of The Mark
Eléowyn breathed a sigh of relief. Disaster had been averted. She silently blessed the parents who had taught young Hanna to be so generous and Gandalf to show kind leadership. Poor little Grima was another matter. He looked uneasy as he was drawn into the game, but she had high hopes the other children would break down his reserve.

Esquire of The Mark
NPC Hanna

*And there they went, bright and easy. Somehow Hannah still managed to clutch a doll in one hand, holding Grima's hand in her small warm one and grasping Gandalf's with the other. She easily followed the leader, agile and with a serious nod as they approached the bench which was to be their mountain to travel over.*

Over the hills and mountains we go. Mountains we go. Mountains we go. Over the hills and mountains we go, traveling together!

*As reluctant as she had been to speak, she lapsed into song quite easily, following Gandalf over the wooden bench, her skirts flapping about her ankles and as she reached "traveling together" in her song... she put strength in her grip on Grima's hand to help him over, half turning so she could push slightly upward to help him. The attempt would be clear enough for any grown up to see. Her eyes bright in the game and some of her shyness fading away.*

Chieftain of The Mark

Grima felt the girl's sweaty paw tighten around his trembling hand, he crouched toad-like for an instant, then propelled himself skyward. His bare, scabby feet cleared the wooden bench by an inch or two, he gave an involuntary cheer as they found the floor.

"Huzzah! We jumped the mountain! Let's try that again - faster and higher!" urged Hanna forward, so they could follow the wizard (Gandalf) on another turn over the bench.

"Over the hills and mountain, hey-ho! Over the hills and mountains, very fast - let's go!" Grima shrilled. He couldn't believe he was actually enjoying the game, but he was, and for now that was all that mattered... Toy pilfering would have to wait.

--
@Eléowyn * @Eldrith * @Gwai
- he hath not forgotten Image the face of his fathers -

New Soul
"Over the hills, over the mountains, let's go!" Gandalf sang along as they headed over benches, on their adventure. It was a catchy song, and he was enjoying it, and Grima even seemed to be enjoying himself, singing along as well. He spied a table in the corner and led the group toward it to go up and over. "This is a mountain with buried treasure!" he called excitedly. "There's a dragon guarding it! Grima, do you want to sneak inside and steal some of the treasure?" he suggested. "Hanna and I can stand guard!"

Knight of The Mark
The children all seemed to be getting along famously at last, even Grima. In her experience, Eléo knew it best to let the hair s play without any interference as long as there was as no trouble.

She retreated back to her seat and smiled as the children played and sang.

@Aodh Hammerhelm @Gwai @Eldrith

Esquire of The Mark
NPC Hanna

*Ohhh a dragon!! She was glad with the storytelling, and glad with the adventure. She was even more delighted though to see Grima's legs bend and making the jump. All of the voices raised, though Gandalf quickly established himself as a leader. That was good. Hanna didn't like being the leader and Grima didn't seem to like it either. A frown creased the little face though at the suggestion*
Noooo... that's too dangerous!!
*she held on tight to Grima's hand to hold him back and shook her head at Gandalf* Why would you go into a cave when there's a dragon?

*The singing at least seems to have cleared the barrier to speaking. Or perhaps it was that the little time together had faded her fear of strangers.*

Chieftain of The Mark

“Dragon!” Grima squeaked at his new pals (Gandalf & Hanna). “Grima will be the dragon.”

He slipped his hand from Hanna’s warm grasp and scuttled toward the corner table, glancing back to make sure the other children were up for a new game. He dropped on his belly and wormed his way across the floorboards, seeking out the darkest shadows under the table.

“SSSssssssssSSSS!” he hissed, white-faced and bug eyed from the gloom. His tongue flicked out over his lips, then waggled above his chin. “Grima’s a scary dragon, he’ll roast you if you come near. Tremble with fear, warriors and wizards, Grima the Wyrm-tongue is here!”

--
@Eléowyn @Eldrith @Gwai
- he hath not forgotten Image the face of his fathers -

Esquire of The Mark
NPC Hanna

*SHE had been trying to protect Grima from being eaten by the dragon. And then Grima had decided to BE the dragon. She took it the way a child takes to a story, as if all of it was natural, but that didn't mean she wasn't somewhat scared. Besides.. she knew her role as well. If Grima was the dragon and Gandalf the warrior, then it was her job to be rescued. Somewhat. She was brought up in a practical way, and at six was already her mama's helper when she could.
Still.. this was a dragon. And she didn't even have horsey to attack him. Taking a step back and then another to demonstrate her fear, in utter willingness to indulge in the play, letting fear be part of it without it actually touching her, she was all in.

New Soul
Gandalf

Gríma dropped to his belly and began hissing, a convincing dragon. Gandalf wasn’t sure why one would want to be the dragon instead of a dragon-hunter, but then, to each their own, as his (mother? Eru?) would say.

Hanna was backing away, and Gandalf stepped forward boldly. “I’ll protect you, fair lady!” He said dramatically, flipping his staff around the other way to use the bottom side as a make believe sword. “Get back, Grima Wyrm-tongue! We won’t let you keep all that gold in there!” He said, waving his staff with a flourish.

@Eldrith @Aodh Hammerhelm

Chieftain of The Mark

"Oh, yes you will," the Grima-dragon lisped at Gandalf and Hanna. "You'll let Grima keep the gold or he'll do something terrible! He has a hostage, see! One step closer and he'll toast your friend and eat him!"

Pale fingers flashed in the gloom under the table. Grima set the horsey-toy between his sharp little teeth and shook his head vigorously.

"Got you there, haven't I?" the fearsome White-wyrm mumbled through a mouthful of fabric. "Grima is wise as well as scary!

--
@Eldrith @Eléowyn & @Gwai