Shire Balderdash

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Storyteller

This is a simple take on the classic game Absolute Balderdash, but with a Middle-earth spin on it. For those of you who haven't played the game before, it's easy and fun and you are rewarded for creating utter nonsense.

Each round I will provide three words. They may be things, people, places, or initials. It is your job to provide a clever or funny description of those words, giving them a new meaning or description. Since this is the Shire edition, your meanings or descriptions must relate to hobbits or the Shire.

Example entry - Mothball: A sport created by hobbits in which a large number of moths are gathered and clumped together to create balls of various sizes, which are then thrown at an opponent's net. The loser of the game is the one with the most moths stuck in their net when time is called. This is a popular game in the Shire as there is not much that annoys a hobbit more than having moths in their cupboards ruining their fine garments.

Once each round is complete, players will post their votes on their favourite entry for each word. As tempting as it may be (since you are so creative and clever), you may not vote for your own entries. Spectators may also vote. The winner once all rounds are completed is the player who has received the most votes.

- Join the game by posting your entries for the first round words
- If you miss the start or miss a round, you can join in at any time
- Depending on how successful this game is, I may open future editions in other kingdoms.
Last edited by Dwim on Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Storyteller
Round 1

Words:

Ramshackle
C.C.C (acronym or initials)
Barrel roll

Chef
Nice!

Ramshackle
A matter of speaking when wives have enough of their husbands taking a 'short' walk (to the local Inn) when the dishes need to be done. 'It's time for a ramshackle, let's make sure he doesn't sneak off this time. Origin: the Old Took used to have a big male goat who loved to break free from it's pasture to eat from every vegetable garden it could find. They had to 'shackle' the ram to keep him from eating too much. That's how the word came into the world.

C.C.C.
Crispy Corn Cloud - the kind of clouds you see when a thunderstorm is building up. That popping sounds make you think of thunder as well. Never heard anyone say 'that's a big C.C.C. building up there!'

Barrel rol
To do a barrel rol: to make a virtue of a necessity. Origin: when you have a big party, you'll need lots of ale to serve. Instead of lifting loads of barrels on carts that need to be pulled by ponies, the Hobbits of the Shire have come up with a match. Each Hobbit male gets one barrel and needs to roll it to the party hole. The winner becomes guest of honor and will be the first to open the banquet during the party.
Please state the nature of the medical emergency!

Warrior of Imladris
Ramshackle
This compound word was used to describe a a type of cough - the ram's-hackle. There are many different cough descriptions in the Shire Medical Histories, many of which have been replaced in these modern times. Originally, it came from the farming community, and described a sound similar to the sound made by a horny ram going a-wooing. The current usage is just 'a hacking cough', but some of the older folk and shepherds still use ramshackle.
You can soothe that ramshackle with a hot cup of lemon-water and honey!

C.C.C.
This was a hairstyle favoured by the ladies of Michel Delving back in the 500th year of the Shire Reckoning. The Curly Clouds Coiffure was invented by Miss Dianthus Hardbottle, and involved a great deal of backcombing and sleeping in twisted rags to achieve the effect. These days it is rarely used except at great Society Events, when one must looks one's best.
Young Nerine's getting married on Friday, I'll be sleeping in my rags Thursday night for a CCC-spectacular!

Barrel roll
After many an ale, this is the gait that many rotund hobbits of a certain age learn. It's actually quite a fast-paced walk, with a little bit of swagger and plenty of swing; it will see you from the Green Dragon to the Ivy Tree in under seven minutes. It's slightly less wobbly than the delicate Tipsy-Toes of those who haven't got their sea-legs with alcohol yet, but not as far gone as the Drunkard's Stagger which the Proudfoot clan have curiously claimed as their own (and requires plenty of road width).
Old Hondo's barrel-rolling his way back across the field; his missus'll have a thing or two to say.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Chef
This is an awesome idea @Dwim! I love it!

Ramshackle
An adjective describing a female hobbit of certain age and demeanor. Lobelia Sackville-Baggins is of course a famous ramshackle. The word has been corrupted over time and was originally gramsheckle, or a grandmotherly hobbit prone to heckling those around her.

C.C.C.
A favorite menu item at the Green Dragon in years past, of course! The chocolate cinnamon cheesecake.

Barrel roll
An evasive maneuver perfected by Sam, Merry, and Pippin during their time spying on Bilbo and discovering his ownership of the Ring. Bilbo was of course very sneaky, so they learned to throw themselves to the ground and roll away like barrels when he suspected them of spying. (This was also a very sneaky way to escape.)
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Chef
Good idea, @Dwim ! I have been thinking about what kinds of games would work well here in the Shire. I can definitely see this one working.

Ramshackle - If you have ever visited your uncle's hobbit hole while he is gardening, you know what a ramshackle is. It's that thing he carries through the dirt so that its head of teeth can pull out weeds and sift through gardening chaff. The men of Rohan may call it a rake. But "ramshackle" is the older generation of hobbit's word for it, since the older generation of hobbits used to have their rams do the raking and not themselves.

CCC - Curling Coils of Clover. This was a popular smoking technique of the Longbottom Leaf that Bilbo started himself. The goal of the Longbottom Leaf smoker is to create three circles of smoke in the air, with the last circle of smoke needing to look like a four leaf clover. This technique got so popular, even after Bilbo's time, that there used to be smoking contests that Hobbiton's most beautiful lasses used to help host. They were a little embarrassed by the trend, so their code name for the contests were "those CCC contests."

Barrel roll - This is a popular dance style many hobbits partake in whilst drinking at local pubs, especially late at night. The pub owner would bring out a few barrels to the middle of the dance floor, and only the most courageous hobbits would go to stand on top of them to do a jig of their own making. If the barrel rolled out from underneath them at any point, this is the signal to the pub owner to not give that hobbit any more to drink!

Storyteller
Hi everyone! I absolutely love these entries so far. :grin: Since this is the first round and we're still getting things rolling,
I'll leave entries for Round 1 open for another 24 hours before we open the voting.

Healer of Imladris
Oh! Nice one, Dwim!

Ramshackle
A drunken stroll while accompanied by an unusual animal (aka, not the family dog). Corrupted from the original "ram shamble," or "to shamble along with a ram." A famous incident occurred when a tipsy Will Whitfoot claimed he would walk all the way back to his home in Michel Delving from the Green Dragon while juggling a small flock of half-grown chickens. He managed to ramshackle his way about half a mile down the East Road.

C.C.C.
Crispy Creme Cronut (also sometimes referring to its shop of origin, the Crispy Creme Confectionary) -- the specialty croissant-doughnut pastry created by Mr. Dominic Cremefoot of Crispy Creme Confectionary, one of Michel Delving's premier patisseries. Classic and seasonal flavors including Salted Shire Caramel, Tea Time Toffee and Westfarthing Rasberry Walnut are available at the shop every morning at 7 am sharp. Wake up early to get your C.C.C. at C.C.C. or they'll have sold out before you roll out of bed!

Barrel roll
Traditionally, the practice of sneaking into a birthday party you weren't invited too by requesting an invitee to stuff you into an ale barrel and present it to the host as a gift. But as hobbits are not known for their patience when faced with an unopened barrel of ale, it now refers to being caught red-handed, so to speak, as hosts were inclined to attempt to tap into the barrel before the would-be party crasher could quietly exit the barrel and begin mingling with the other guests in the parlor. i.e. "I almost got away from Farmer Maggot with a whole basket of mushrooms, but we were barrel rolled at the last !"

Storyteller
Great work from all of you!

Voting for Round 1 is now open

Voting will be open for 24 hours. Spectators may also vote.

You can vote in this format:

Ramshackle: your vote
C.C.C.: your vote
Barrel roll: your vote

Warrior of Imladris
Ramshackle: Istya Alassea
C.C.C.: Aerlinn
Barrel roll: Aerlinn
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Healer of Imladris
Ramshackle: Menolly (gramsheckle :lol:)
C.C.C.: Lirimaer
Barrel roll: Istya Alassea

Chef
Ramshackle: Lirimaer
Barrel roll: Lirimaer

Storyteller
I have decided in the case that a tie-breaker is needed, or if there is a lack of votes, I will add my own votes. (Although in the case of Ramshackle, I've only managed to turn it into a four-way tie! :lol: )

Round 1 Results

Winners:
Ramshackle: Istya Alassea, Menolly, Lirimaer, Eamila Bolger
Barrel Roll: Lirimaer

Leader Board:
@Lirimaer : 2
@Aerlinn : 1
@Eamila Bolger : 1
@Istya Alassea : 1
@Menolly : 1

Storyteller
Round 2

Latecomers are welcome and encouraged to join in!

Words:

Cheeseweed
Pincup Peg Leg
Ham Lake

Chef
Cheeseweed, @Dwim ? I can only take that word two ways. I will have to think about this one so I can push myself to be more creative!

Warrior of Imladris
Cheeseweed
Every so often along the banks of the Brandywine there is a clump of plants called Milkweed. Generally, they grow very nicely and are no problem, being edible and pretty to look at; but whenever the river bursts its banks and floods the area, after about three days these plants turn into the most foul-smelling stinky-socks cheese-whiffery you ever did smell. Despite that, if you are brave enough to pick these waterlogged plants and dry them out, they will flavour your soups and stews beautifully with a ripe, full-bodied flavour which pairs exceptionally well with a rich red wine.
The best way to dry cheeseweed is in a shed at the bottom of a very long garden - preferably someone else's.

Pincup Peg Leg
A short three-legged stool with a section in the seat for seamstress emergencies. Inside such a section, safety pins, a thimble, tiny scissors, and needles and thread could all be hidden.
Get off the pegleg, you silly boy. I need a needle and thread!

Ham Lake
Not, as you'd suppose, a lake where swine wash, nor the local hamlet's lake; it is actually a pond between Bagshot Row and the apple orchard. It actually has no name, but has become known as Ham Lake since Hamfast Gamgee, a notorious short-cut taker, has fallen into it more times than he's had hot dinners. He blames the green pond weed for looking like grass, but that does not explain how he fails to notice the fence that's been up these past ten years!
The Gaffer certainly knows how to put 'em away - but someone should walk him home and take care he don't take a spill in Ham Lake again!

Healer of Imladris
Cheeseweed
Someone whose cheesy jokes, particularly puns, are prone to sprouting up at inopportune moments.That Odo Proudfoot had to butt in just as I was finally going to ask Daisy for a dance. What a cheeseweed!
The offending line: "Lookit that lad! Been pining after Miss Daisy for DAAAYS-HE has."

Pincup Peg Leg
A walking stick with a wide top that's carved out as a drink holder made to hold any thing from a cup to a pint of ale. Originally "Pint-to-Cup Peg Leg". This was a novelty item that was briefly trendy about ten years ago when they were sold at the market for "...a silver penny a piece but order in the next twenty-four hours to get TWO for the price of ONE. The first one hundred lucky hobbits will also receive a half-size Cup-to-Bottle Peg Leg perfect for the little 'uns in your life!"
Pa's always going on about that Periannath Walking Club but with his Pin'cup Peg Leg it's just another way to drink!

Ham Lake
To ruin two perfectly good things in one stroke. No one wants a ham that's been thrown into a lake and sampled by all the local fish, and no one wants a lake filled with rotting ham.
'Ey! Enough with the ham laking already! Stop using my good raspberry jam on burnt toast.

Storyteller
:conga: I'm going to leave Round 2 open for 24 more hours to see if we can get a couple more entries. :conga:

Chef
Cheeseweed: a word that Hobbit mothers use when their kids are lazy washing and grooming their curly haired feet. The combination of the smell (like smelly' cheese) and the looks (greenish brown from mud and weeds they've been walking through while playing outside), came together in that one word: cheeseweed.'My goodness, your foot hair has turned into cheeseweed, please wash them better!'

Pincup Peg Leg: (had to look 'peg' up, not being a native speaker of English :lol: ) a clumsy person. Hobbits from Pincup have a yearly tradition: they camp out together each year at Mid Sommer. But even the longest days have dark nights. And after a pint or five, even the steadiest hobbits might stumble and trip over a tent peg while looking for their own tent at night. The result is best seen next morning: those with sudden bruises or black eyes may have been a bit clumsy that night... It didn't take long for this word to spread all through the Shire. So if you easily fall over stones, a doorstep or a stick on the road, you will be called a Pincup Peg Leg.

Ham Lake: equivalent of a money tree, once again mostly used by Hobbit moms with hungry or lazy kids. 'Ey! I'll need at least another hour to have dinner ready. What? You're hungry? Well sorry, we don't have a Ham Lake in our garden!' Or: 'Well, if you want a good slice of ham on your bread at Christmas, you better start feeding the pigs and cleaning their stable! It's not like we have a Ham Lake in our garden!'

Black Númenórean
Hope I'm not too late!

Cheeseweed: A slang term used to refer to snacks (not confined solely to cheese) consumed while smoking pipeweed, the snacking often arising due to the pipeweed. Ex: "I had me a proper cheeseweed around midnight."

Pincup Peg Leg: A three-legged race run annually in the village of Pincup; the participants' legs being tied together is meant to simulate the clumsiness of old Peg Leg himself, a local legend who tramped about the whole Shire on, you guessed it, a wooden leg, and produced some of the finest maps of the country you've ever seen. The winners of the race each receive the Peg Leg O Glory, which is essentially just a very knobbly walking stick. Ex: "Are you in for the Pincup Peg Leg this year? Need a partner?"

Ham Lake: A ballet performed in Hobbiton each winter solstice which tells the tale of Odetta, a hobbit who was turned into a ham by an unfriendly wizard. Ex: "A merry Yule to ye! I've got an extra ticket to this year's production of Ham Lake - care to join me?"
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Storyteller
@Zôrzimril, nope not too late!

More great entries from everyone. :lol: I love them all!

Voting for Round 2 is now open

Voting will be open for 24 hours-ish. Spectators may also vote.

Chef
Cheeseweed: Lirimaer
Pincup Peg Leg: Aerlin
Ham Lake: Zôrzimril

Warrior of Imladris
Cheeseweed: Aerlinn :lol:
Pincup Peg Leg: Zôrzimril
Ham Lake: Eamila Bolger

Black Númenórean
I love all of these so much! :lol:

Pincup Peg Leg: Eamila
Ham Lake: Aerlinn

Healer of Imladris
Ham Lake: Eamila Bolger (this is the one I read and went "Why didn't I think of that??"); honorable mention Tarawen
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Storyteller
Round 2 Results

Winners:
Ham Lake: Eamila Bolger

Leader Board:
@Lirimaer : 3
@Eamila Bolger : 2
@Aerlinn : 1
@Menolly : 1
@Zôrzimril : 1

Storyteller
Round 3

Latecomers are welcome and encouraged to join in!

Words:

R.A.B. (initials or acronym)
Twofoot Twins
Erf

Chef
RAB - This acronym stands for Ragweed on Arboretum Bushes, but is primarily used in conversation to refer to just ragweed. RAB was originally seen as a common gardening malady for even the most experienced hobbits at gardening. When late evening august winds swept through even the most well tended flower beds and plants, the burgeoning ragweed in the area would easily get picked up and thrown about the gardens. So it would be common for a hobbit to come outside on a fall morning to find ragweed on their most prized plants, and would have to pick it all out before the day even started. Gardening hobbits, in order to avoid cursing, termed this nuisance in every day conversation as RAB. "That RAB really gave me a headache and a good sneeze this morning. It took me two hours to deal with it this time!" "Well, I dealt with the RAB with my nose running today. You can try to beat that, but I don't think you can!"

Twofoot Twins - This term has become a hobbit lass's way of saying "I have two left feet" in order to avoid dancing with someone she is not interested in at parties. Because one evening at a friend's birthday party, one hobbit lad asked a pretty lass for a dance. She said in response, "If it weren't for my twofoot twins, I would totally join you. But I need to tend to them. I am so sorry." He thanked her anyway and walked away, thinking she was referring to a twin sister of hers. He was later informed by a friend of the lass that she was actually talking about her feet, and was more interested in dancing with the handsome party host that night instead of with him.

Erf - Slang for "tall and slender". A hobbit child once tried talking with Gandalf the White, asking him more about the rest of the world and if all the world was filled with only hobbits and wizards. When Gandalf stated "No, there are dwarves, many of them being my friends ... I am also friends with an elf and Ent," the hobbit child misheard him and then went to his parents and talked all about them. He began talking about all the slender and tall "erfs" that populated Middle Earth. Knowing what the child meant, the parents thought this was funny, and began to use the term with their friends to refer to not just elves and Ents but for also any hobbit who was unusually taller or thinner than the rest of them. "You know the erf Ham Boffin? He runs the new inn in Bree. Blends right in, he does!"

Black Númenórean
R.A.B. - An acronym standing for "Resplendent As Baggins," used to describe anyone perceived to be putting on airs by acting too over-the-top or fancy. A somewhat pejorative term, it is often used in disdain by common Shirefolk who never understood where Bilbo Baggins' wealth came from but didn't like that he somehow set himself above ordinary hobbits by going on Grand Adventures. Ex: "Well you're looking quite R.A.B. today." *shifty look*

Twofoot Twins - Legendary twins from the Twofoot clan who ate their parents out of house and home. Their story is told as a cautionary tale to young hobbit children everywhere in the Shire. Ex: "Don't you kids forget the Twofoot Twins! Ate so much their family had to sell off their smial just to make ends meet! Mind your portions!"

Erf - A characteristic noncommittal sound made amongst Hobbits in particular when they are feeling uncomfortable, either physically or emotionally. The Men of Bree commonly use a similar sound to express their discomfort, "urf," which is no doubt linguistically related. It was altogether new to the Rangers of the North when they first came into contact with Hobbits. Ex: "How did you like ma's pie?" "Erf, well, it was quite, um, crusty."

Chef
R.A.B. - Reckless and Brave of course, the secret name of the even more secret club some Brandybucks and Took in their tweens have. They claim not to be so adventurous but in the mean time they teach each other to swim (can you imagine???), climb the highest trees and go on adventures that are best not spoken of. As soon as their parents find out, they will be Regretful and Busted...

Twofoot Twins - Oh, the Twofoot Twins! Who doesn't remember Lila and Pearl Twofoot, the two lovely twin sisters who turned from sweet school girls to professional singers? Your party wasn't a good one if they weren't invited to sing and - to the regret of many hobbit wife - dance the stars from the sky. Their lyrics were so simple that everyone could remember them and sing along.

Erf - a nickname for Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. After all the years moaning about Bag End, there was no hobbit who couldn't echo her standard lines. Always ending with 'Isn't it what we deserve?' Small kids started to echo 'erf, erf, erf...' after that sentence. Nobody knows when it happened exactly, but sooner or later she was called 'Mrs. Erf' or even simpeler: Erf. 'Watch out, Erf is coming!'

Healer of Imladris
R.A.B.
Reginald Arthur Brandybuck. The younger brother of Cyrus Brandybuck, a notorious prankster who rose to infamy when he was said to have betrayed his best friend James Took in the Shire's greatest tug-of-war match in fifty years. Reginald himself is known to be the owner of a locket that has attracted many strange rumors and gossip about its origin. "It reminds me of snakes, I get shivery all over. No respectable *Shire* hobbit would ever wear something like that!" Lobelia Sackville-Baggins once said.

Twofoot Twins
To have only half as many of something as you need--like sharing two feet between two twins.
"Goodness me, do you know where the rest of the soup bowls are? The guests will be arriving any minute and it'll be twofeet twins if they en't in the top cupboard. Can you imagine what Lobellia will say if we serve her butternut squash soup in a salad bowl? Oh, I'm all a dither! And it's such a lovely, delicious soup too."

Erf
The sound made by a dog with a cold.
"Do you think ol' Doc Brown would mix up a tonic for our Padfoot? He's been erfing since yesterday morning, the poor beastie."

Warrior of Imladris
R.A.B.
Code for 'Pick Your Own Raspberries And Blackberries'. When the full sign went up on Maggot's fence, everyone was there with a basket or two - Maggot got lazier as the years went on, but people still came in their droves; it was PYO RAB for a while, now it's just RAB.
RAB sign's up! Get down there, sharpish!

Twofoot Twins
A term for inseparable friends, so called after the infamous Twofoot Twins who decided to live together in the same smial all their lives, despite the protestations of their wives.
Jack and Joe were running around like Twofoot twins this afternoon, despite being at each other's throats this morning.

Erf
Another name for mud and soil. Used for growing things.
"But where our hearts truly lie is in peace and quiet, and good tilled erf. For all Hobbits share a love of things that grow."

Chef
R.A.B.
Short for Robust Ale Blend, a term well known to frequent patrons of the Green Dragon. A Robust Ale Blend occurs when the kegs are all tapped for the night and the only option is to mix odds and ends of leftover ale. It is a drink for the adventurous pubgoer!
Who knows what the RAB will taste like tonight? At least it's half price!

Twofoot Twins
A rather unkind name for young, small hobbits who haven't even reached the height of two feet yet. Even two of them (or twins, as it were) stacked on each other's shoulders wouldn't reach average hobbit height.
Poor little Twofoot Twins, he can't even ride a pony yet!

Erf
The sound made by a hobbit standing up from their seat after indulging in a scrumptious birthday feast, eventually coming to mean an excellent feast with plenty of victuals on offer.
Have you gotten your invitation to our Bilbo's party yet? It'll be an erf to remember, this one!

Storyteller

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Voting for Round 3 is now open!

Healer of Imladris
I think this is officially my new favorite thread. :lol:

R.A.B.: Eamila Bolger
Twofoot Twins: Eamila Bolger
Erf: Menolly (An Erffair to Remember, coming soon to a Shire Players theater production near you!)

Chef
Great entries y'all! Hard to choose...

R.A.B.: Menolly
Twofoot Twins: Lirimaer
Erf: Menolly

Warrior of Imladris
Twofoot Twins: Tara
Erf: Aerlinn

Storyteller
Round 3 Results

I put my vote in for Twofoot Twins to try and break the 3-way tie, but again only managed to make it a 4-way tie!

Edit because I forgot to say: Honourable mention goes to @Aerlinn for acknowledging the Harry Potter reference with her R.A.B. entry!

Winners:
Twofoot Twins: Eamila, Lirimaer, Zôrzimril, Aerlinn
Erf: Menolly

Leader Board:
@Lirimaer : 4
@Eamila Bolger : 3
@Menolly : 3
@Aerlinn : 2
@Zôrzimril : 2
Last edited by Dwim on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Storyteller
Round 4

Anyone is welcome to join in at any time.

Words:

Derry Dol
Gardyloo
Sackville Swag

Hobbit Child
Derry Dol is a name given to a particular style of rag popkin treasured by little hobbit lasses. Many a little 'un can be seen at the market, dragging her Derry Dol along as she clings to Mama's apron. Although no one is sure where 'Derry' came from, it is most often believed that the creator of this doll style was Derrydown Dingleroot, wife of an early mayor.

Gardyloo is a slang term for that fixture necessary to all hobbit homesteads. Originating in Bree (where many strange things originate) the original gardyloos were ornately decorated, and located, naturally, at the bottom of the garden. So whether it was a gaudy loo, or a garden loo. the hobbits of the shire have made it their own as a gardyloo.

Sackville Swag is a term used for goods obtained by less than honest, or fair means. Anything of significant value which finds its way into the pockets, or umbrella, or pony cart of someone not its rightful owner is called Sackville Swag.

Chef
Oh no I missed the voting! @Lirimaer's definition of erf literally made me laugh out loud, it was fantastic.

Derry Dol
That last bit of milk from the cow that goes to the cat begging for a drink. Originally dairy dole, it's considered bad luck (as well as bad form) not to give the barn cat the last of the milk.
Old Bernard was winding round my ankles, begging for the derry dol from today's milking.

Gardyloo
A batty old gaffer who needs someone to look after him, lest he get up at three in the morning and start planting potatoes in his pajamas and dressing gown. From old Gardyloo Grubb, a well-known eccentric who took to wandering Hobbiton while riding a pig and declaiming on the value of wearing boots (which any sensible hobbit knows is very foolish).
Have you seen old Bilbo's party invitation? He's a Gardyloo, that one.

Sackville Swag
A particular gait employed by certain light-fingered hobbits who have been known to make off with the belongings of others. It is a sneaky walk, meant to disguise the jingling of spoons hidden in one's skirts or parasol.
Did you see that fellow's Sackville Swag as he left? I'll bet he's made off with another half pint glass from the Dragon.

Warrior of Imladris
Derry Dol
A bright green cordial sold in the Dragon. They have no idea where it comes from - a shipment arrives every other weekend, just left on their doorstep - but it's a good seller, and very popular with the locals as an anti-emetic. Usually mixed with lemonade, it has the general effect of cleansing the palate, cheering one up, and making one prone to loud singing, whether one knows the lyrics of songs, or not.
"Last orders? I've have a pint of Derry Dol and a singsong home!"

Gardyloo
This is a voracious bird, found occasionally in the Shire in the summer months, known for its long swooping calls (looooo loooOOOOooo looooOOOO) and habit of eating your summer fruits. It deposits seeds from said summer fruits all over the Shire, so is both a blessing and a curse, dependent upon your style of gardening!
I hope you put the nets over my strawberries, Rolo Follyfoot. I can hear that Gardyloo laughing at us!"

Sackville Swag
A bright, lively and hopping dance, which involves long skirts and shawls for the ladies, the skirts of which fly up and the shawls get used for temporary restraints. It's the sort of dance you don't want your mother to watch you doing and has certainly been enough excuse for some pitchfork weddings. Often performed by courting couples, it looks great, but has been the cause of some other terminology, most notably 'swagged out' for the feeling one gets after a ... dance. The Sackvilles have long since lobbied to have their association with the dance removed, to no avail.
I'm gonna dance the Sackville Swag with Viola - if she'll let me."

Healer of Imladris
Derry Dol
The name of a secluded and picturesque pond in the South Farthing known as a romantic meeting spot for hobbit lads and lasses. The name has since carried into general use a both a noun and a verb.
"Do you know where Lily has run off to? She's supposed to be helping me with these pies!"
"Oh you know her. I suspect she's derry doling with that Took boy down at the derry dol behind the mill."

Gardyloo
An overly complicated musical instrument that functions something like a cross between a bagpipe and a hurdy-gurdy. The gardyloo was originally invented as a hunting tool meant to imitate the call of ducks, boars, and other wild game. After decades of development it is now, some say unfortunately, a regular fixture in polka ensembles, jug bands, and as the accompaniment to barbershop quartets.

Sackville Swag
Whether the Sackvilles are generous, uppity, or tacky is a matter of opinion, but for years they have taken to giving away any number of small gifts for various occasions, all branded with the family crest. Known as Sackville Swag, these include pens, keyholders, handkerchiefs, and something the young folks call "magnets".

Storyteller
As always, these are hilarious! I love reading every single entry.

:conga: 24 more hours until entries close and voting opens. :conga:

Chef
Derry Dol - the rythmic clapping and tapping sounds that my uncle Derry is famous for. He will make a complete concert by plucking his suspensions, tapping his feet, clapping his hands and using his belly as a drum. No family birthday party was complete without the Derry Dol and of course the annual match who could imitate uncle Derry the best.

Gardyloo - a small wooden outhouse that Bill Gardener once built near the vegetable gardens that he and his neighbors work in together. After eating a bit too much berries while harvesting, he found out the embarrassing way that his hobbit hole was just 50 steps too far away in case of emergency. The next day he spend on building an outhouse instead of harvesting. Gardener's loo was a succes and soon others built little houses like that in their gardens. They ended up being called 'Gardyloos'.

Sackville Swag - the kind of moves you make when you are extremely happy/pleased with yourself and think that nobody notices. Named after Lobelia Sackville Baggins who was once caught when doing this little happy-dance after she heard that Bag End would indeed become hers.
'I caught good old Toby doing a Sackville Swag after he heard that his prizewinning pumpkin will be exhibited in the Mathom House this fall.'

Storyteller

Voting for Round 4 is now open!

Warrior of Imladris
Derry Dol: Aerlinn
Gardyloo: BB
Sackville swag: Ea

Chef
@Blackrose Bugg !! You're back!! *dances*

I see I wasn't reading back well, and BB was first with her interpretation for the Gardyloo! So it would be fair not to count mine here.

Derry Dol: Aerlinn
Gardyloo: Menolly
Sackville swag: Lirimaer

Black Númenórean
Ahh! Such difficult choices, well done all :lol:

Derry Dol - Aerlinn
Gardyloo - Eamila
Sackville Swag - Menolly

Healer of Imladris
Derry Dol: Menolly 😺
Gardyloo: Menolly
Sackville Swag: Eamila Bolger

@Dwim I don't suppose you want to tag participants in the voting post? Just so I don't get distracted and miss a ballot. *g*