Pele's Randomness

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
Khazad Elder
Love the vest, @Pele Alarion! And what a coincidence. I was just tell my love how a vest is all I need to keep me warm in the house. When I have a sweater on, and depending on what I am doing, I find I take it off more often. I get too hot. So I have been wearing an outdoor nylon vest in the house. It works wonderfully keeping my old trunk warm, and not over heating me.

So again, you have inspired me. :smooch: I have been knitting hats. I think I have made at least 30 since the covid-19 started. Time to move on to a new challenge. I will keep you posted on my progress. :grin:
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Balrog
*pops back in after a too long absence* so many excellent pictures! I love the cat so much (cat pics have unapologetically become my thing recently)! The old barn picture with the flowers is gorgeous. The light, the color contrast, the angle, it's the kind of image I have in my head when I think about rural or fairy like settings but can never find outside my own head. Well, now I know where they've been hiding out!

Congrats on completing the knitting project! I would have nowhere near the patience to do something thst detailed. I'd have given up and refused to try and pick it back up.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Thain of The Mark
Very nice vest! I wish I could knit. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was younger (when she was still alive) and it did not go well. I know that cables like that take quite a bit of skill (and probably patience too!) It looks like it will keep you nice and warm this winter!

Black Númenórean
Your sunrise shots continue to amaze me - you have some incredible views out your window, Pele. And the nighttime photo with the moon looks so serene. Latvia is g o r g e o u s.

Well done with the vest!! It looks wonderfully cozy for winter. <3
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

High Warden of Tower
@Fuin Elda :grin: Well...

@DrifaI'm not that good with hats, but then I sometimes knit lots of socks. :D And a random bigger project like this vest.

@Beowulf I suspect that the fairy in charge of those flowers by the barn is my friend's mum. :grin: As for the knitting, I find detailed stuff fun and am bored with anything that doesn't challenge me.

@Taethowen Cables are not really difficult, they just require attention to detail and quite a bit of patience. :wink: If I didn't work too much, I'd probably knit more...

@Skwovet Aaaach, I miss my sunrises. It's been so grey and dark, and I haven't seen the sun for weeks. Suppose just have to wait...
As for the new stuff, I haven't taken any pics as I get out only when it is already dark (silly work). Just a couple of pics from the latest Saturday run which at least was not in the dark.

Thain of The Mark
You know, overcast skies (especially when they stick around for too long) can be a drag sometimes, and I know so many photographers who love to talk about the golden hour of daylight for taking photos, but there's something calming about the soft light in a picture from a cloudy sky.

Also, as a non-knitter, cables are intimidating, lol! But I'm glad you find them to be not-difficult. They look great on your vest.

Balrog
Hey, you never know when a fairy will turn up or who they'll turn out to be! We They could be anyone!

Roads always excite the wannabe philosopher in me. I can't quite put my finger on why they fascinate me but I'm always entranced by them. The lighting (especially on the second photo) creates an air of mystery and and metamorphosis. Where is the road going? Who is on the road? Where was the road been? Why am I on this road now? I love all these questions.

These are beautiful shots!
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

High Warden of Tower
Well, the roads. But where do you think this footpath is leading? :wink:
Also, caught a tiny bit of winter before it all melted away.

Loremaster of the Herd
I love that! The close-up shot on the snow is especially good. How long separated these two? The weather has been warm all winter, here.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

High Warden of Tower
@Androthelm The snow pic is taken on the next day - some 20 km eastwards of the forest location which is almost by the sea. The snow didn't even reach those green hills, though it is almost right there...

Loremaster of the Herd
Well, that explains it -- apart from one very light snowfall on Christmas, we haven't gotten any (cold) weather since November :(

Black Númenórean
Those woodsy paths look gorgeous and so peaceful. I’d give a lot to be on trails like that for my runs these days!

How are those sunrises these days? Still quite grey?

High Warden of Tower
Still haven't seen any sunrises, no. Though today I might just have slept through it: the day was sunny, but I woke up quite late.

However, winter is here again for a bit, and I've tried to capture it.

One of the neibhouring houses has a man who is an excellent gardener with lots of creativity: I have seen him take such care working with the bushes and flowers, and now he had put up these for the holiday season (photo taken before snow - now only faces are left without other decorations)!

Visited mum... it was scary to drive on a gravel road covered in snow and ice, but it was worth it. If the road gets more icy than this, I won't attempt going there though...

Also, managed to fish out my phone to take a couple of pics on my late evening runs through the streets:

Esquire of The Mark
Ah look at all that snow @Pele Alarion! I just took my dog for a walk and we got our first nice snow of the season where I am, and I cannot express how happy I am about it.

High Warden of Tower
@Ta'leus Shieldsong Snow is just lovely, isn't it? :grin:

Here is how the lake looks under a blanket of snow, the pic taken yesterday; and this morning there were many guys sitting on ice and fishing.
It snowed a bit more, and finally it was enough to get my skis out. Off I went to make use of winter fun while it lasts for a bit. I must be rusty though, ran into the bushes, fell a few times, bruised my knee, and somehow the ski boots gave me blisters. Still, I regret nothing.
And finally got a lovely sunrise again!

Fea
I am so jealous you can just go for a ski round where you live, Pele! The snow photos are gorgeous. We haven't had any snow where I live yet, though I'm still holding out hope!

Khazad Elder
Just got our second mayor snowfall in my part of Canada. Still not much snow, but enough to ski on. Thanks for sharing your photos, Pele. So much like home. :smooch:

Esquire of The Mark
Ah you went skiing @Pele Alarion! I’m even more jealous now.

High Warden of Tower
*basks in outpourings of jealousy* :lol: Forecast promises warmer weather and rain as of tonight/tomorrow, so wondering if I should go out to ski, even though it is dark and very windy.
Later edit: well, I did go out and enjoyed skiing so much that now my legs and shoulders are sore, somehow it ended up being almost 12 km... No pics though. :tongue: I was too busy skiing.

High Warden of Tower
It has been rather cold, so I have not ventured anywhere far, and don't have too many pics to show off or anything. Only a random winter evening scene and this morning's sunrise:

High Warden of Tower
Actually... Went for a run and witnessed a beautiful sunset.

Loremaster of the Herd
These are great as always @Pele Alarion! I especially like the second one in that last post -- how cold was it? It doesn't look like there's too much ice in the water.

High Warden of Tower
@Androthelm The sea doesn't freeze over so easily; it was -7°C or so. At least the lake is covered in ice all over, and the youngsters are having their hockey practice on it.

Khazad Elder
Classic shots, Pele! The horizon, the line between heaven and earth, is always breathtaking. :smooch:

High Warden of Tower
I guess I'm mostly taking very similar photos lately. Always enjoying lake and sea views, but perhaps they might become boring (the same yet again) to others. :tongue: Just a couple photos from my Friday run.

High Warden of Tower
@Tarawen, a collection of various sunset pics for you! :wink:

As the evenings become longer, I have been able to catch the amazing sunset views when getting to the sea in time, though as soon as the sun is gone it gets so cold that I have to hurry back home as fast as I can.

Also tried to capture the sight of a ferry leaving the port, but the phone didn't want to cooperate - zooming in only resulted in a grainy and foggy pic.

A conference of crows by the sea, apparently...

Waves at sunset

One evening was not very successful in terms of sunsets: the clouds rolled in, it was very cold and windy.

And a sunrise (now they are often too early for me)

Black Númenórean
I'm constantly in awe of the gorgeous view you have - I'll count myself lucky if I someday have views half as beautiful outside my window!

These are all gorgeous, but the second shot you've shared here is so striking. The bright colors in the sky, the rolling waves... Beautiful! I hope you continue trying different angles and points of focus and sharing the results with us here, Pele. :grin:

High Warden of Tower
I am way too lazy to hunt down all the pictures from summer. :tongue: Here are two with a different view on the lake and sunrise. The second one was taken in a hurry since I didn't want to miss my bus.

Black Númenórean
Wow - the photo of the ducks on water is gorgeous! Beautifully framed through the trees, and the water looks so serene. :grin:

High Warden of Tower
Should have fed the ducks, but didn't have anything at hand...

A bit of scenery from one of my walks:

Khazad Elder
Leaves are already falling on the ground. I like the look of the beach. Sky and water, reflecting sombre grey. Nice!

High Lord of Imladris
Love the forest and nature picks like the leaves that have fallen from what looks like the year before just based on how green the leaves are.

Also I really like the waves at sunset I like the crispness of the ripples in the waves is just gorgeous as is the coloration in it.

High Warden of Tower
Yup, autumn is definitely coming.

This is my adventure of assembling the bed (just to have something other than nature pics).
Soo... how does this thing come together?... :lol:

And there it goes, took me about a week.

High Warden of Tower
Also, finally I can get to see my pretty sunrises again without getting up too early!

High Warden of Tower
Yet another sunrise - can't get enough of them. :grin:

Khazad Elder
So breathtaking, Pele! An excellent route for a morning walk, eh? :smile:

High Warden of Tower
@Drifa I don't even have to go anywhere - just looking out my window to see these. For sunsets I have to walk a bit, though - suppose can't have it all right under my nose. :lol:

Khazad Elder
Lucky duck! Nice view from you window!❤️

High Warden of Tower
It has been boring and grey, so no nice pictures to boast with.

But here is today's stuff... @Lailyn - this is a mute swan (cygnus olor), if you like to see one. :wink: These are not afraid of people, mostly, so are near enough to take a pic of.

Ent Ancient
Oooo Pele both your swans and sunrises are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing and for the tag to remind me to pop by :grin: do your mute swans stay there to breed so you might get to see some swanlings come spring?! Over here, mute swans are not native and can sometimes be vicious toward people, though I have not witnessed that myself, glad yours are not!

High Warden of Tower
@Lailyn , ah, they do, and even now there are a couple of families with last year's youngsters. There are a couple reports on angry swans, but they usually come to beg for food. I can also hear whooper swans in the lake, but can't really see them properly, even with binoculars; don't remember having seen one up close.

Also, a couple of winter pics - and it is very cold these days! And a random, slightly foggy pic of one of my mum's cats guarding pumpkins.

Khazad Elder
What a great Halloween photo of a cat and pumpkin! Awesome! Like the winter scene in the second photo with the crooked trees too! 😸

Lovely photos, Pele!

High Warden of Tower
Some women have a great collection of high-heels... I have sports shoes. :tongue: Two pairs of 'normal' running shoes, one pair of old rogaining/orienteering shoes, one pair of new rogaining shoes, one pair of studded orienteering/running shoes, and a pair of 'retired' running shoes I use for walking. And yet, with intentions to keep moving in all sorts of weather on all sorts of roads and trails like some in these pics... gotta have 'em.

New Soul
Pele: Awesome pics! Can I borrow your snow? :tongue:
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

High Warden of Tower
@Sorceress A dedication to you, since you do like bears... :wink:

Balrog
BEARS!!!! :partybear:

They look magnificent @Pele Alarion! I love the angle and the shading in the picture, it gives them an almost wild (but still very tame and proper) interpterion. I love the background too! :lol: It's wild bears come for tea and biscuits!

High Warden of Tower
Right. Switching back from bears to all sorts of water sights from those running sessions I have.
Ran along the dike reaching almost into the middle of the lake, and looked at 'my lake' from a different angle.

The last run - saw that the beach was very windy, so kept to the forest trails.

And small pools were formed all over the trails near the city, so eventually I had to turn back because I ran into a whole labyrinth of swampy and overflooded area.

High Lord of Imladris
Love the new photos since I last commented. Honestly this is inspiring me to pull out my snow shoes and go for a hike nearby (theres a good 6 feet of snow in the woods where I'm thinking) Fortunately it's still cold enough the bears are still solidly in hybernation so I shan't be eaten by them just the mountain lions and wolves :lol: Though if I could run into some bears like those in your photo that would do well enough by me.

I think my favourite of your photos is the latest pond the light reflecting off of the water as well as the shadow of the trees stretching out is absolutely fabulous.
Sereg a Dîn

High Warden of Tower
Fuin, better don't be eaten by any animals. :lol:

I haven't really taken any particular photos just yet, only more of the same. Maybe something will come into view...

Knight of The Mark
As long as they are delicious, strawberries can never be too big. :grin:

Don't know why but old buildings in nature make me think of summer. They also make me curious about what's inside and what they might have been used for.

Love your pictures of water and forest. They bring back memories of staying at the summer house by the lake and taking walks through the forest. Have you ever seen a gnome road? (is that the right name?) I think I have. lol. I saw a forest path on a small stretch of forest between a dirt road and a stream but the next time I passed by it was gone.

Love the bears. :heart: Any tips on how to grow bears? Are they grown from seeds or cuttings? :lol: