Ages of Arda IV: Mantle of Darkness - Historical RPG OOC Thread & Sign-ups

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
Loremaster of the Herd
@Nessa Saelind where are you seeing the ages on Tolkien Gateway? Totally fine to roll with that but all I can find is their death date (which is all the same, lol). If anything I would have guessed Borlach > Borlad > Borthand, since that's the order they're listed on the T.G. family tree.

Incidentally, we also don't have any clue what their pre-Elven names were, do we? It just hit me that when it says he was given the title "the Faithful" after his death that probably is just talking about the name "Bor," isn't it?

All that being said, I think I'm going to open in the midst of a wolf-hunt. That way it can still be tied into the agrarian / food shortage side of things -- the wolves threaten livestock -- but also lead into a planned orc-trap.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

New Soul
@Androthelm - It's almost a footnote :lol: but there's a title Other versions of the legendarium where it says that in the appendix of The Lost Road Bór was born in the year 120, Borlad in 143, Borlach in 145 and Borthand in 147. I'm not sure if it makes any sense, but since the numbers were mentioned I decided to go with the flow. :shrug:

Regarding Bór's name, I know he was given the title of "Faithful" posthumously, I don't really remember if Bór was his name, or just the name elves decided to call him. That's the name he entered into history with, but if you want to give him another name that he would leave behind when he leaves behind his old country I am totally for it :thumbs:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

New Soul
I remember the Red Wedding from GoT & the books but I don't remember there being a Bread and Salt ceremony; I'm sure it will be fine though so you can intiate it with the Elf and his company when it's time, @Nessa Saelind .

I'll be taking Borthand, the youngest, @Androthelm . Yeah there's no telling if they had names prior to their service with Maedhros and Maglor. We'll have to make up the ages since we're only given death dates. I'll make Borthand 32 if that's alright with you and Nessa.
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

Loremaster of the Herd
@Nessa Saelind that works! Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page :lol:

@Tharmáras all right. I'm giving you a mention in the wolf-hunt, since the sons are all there.

New Soul
Thanks, buddy.

New Soul
@Tharmáras - I can't remember if it was described in detail in the ASoIaF books (because I've been avoiding them like the plage until He Who Shall Not Be Named finishes what needs finishing :lol: ). I cobbled up something when I was writing a post in Gondor for am impromptu dinner party, so I'll reuse that. If my memory serves me the thing was inspired by some medieval Middle Eastern hospitality customs mixed in with some ancient Roman hospitality customs. I'm not even sure now :lol: I'll check my notes.

So if Borthand is 32, then Borlach would be 34 and Borlad 36 if I did the math right *insert math lady gif* :googly: Now, that I got that sorted let's sort wives and (grand)kids :lol: Don't at me here, everyone's got their own priorities :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
Tharmáras wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:14 pm @Annúnfalas an @Fuin Elda , y'all let me know when you both would like for me to post as Morwen's dad who's with Emeldir by the Whitehorn longhouse, getting the chieftess retreating toward her castle. In that same post I'll have Beren, Morwen (@Tarawen), and Beorian (@Nessa Saelind) character being attacked so we can fight there a bit before the evacuation toward Mount Foen.
That would be great actually. If it is alright with @Fuin Elda of course. I am going to have Gorgol and Emeldir separated in my next post; with the Orcs rallying once again to their commander and Brina the family leader gathering to Emeldir with the remnants of her kin. You could have Morwen's father, Beren, Morwen @Tarawen, and Beorian @Nessa Saelind arrive in time to help push back The Butcher's horde to buy everyone enough time to carry out their retreat.

I was only planning on featuring Brina, in one post - but since that has not been the case :lol: I am going to find her a model (I already know who I can use) and make her an icon. If that is okay with you @Tharmáras. Brina the Unarmed, who was named that because Gorgol cut off her primary sword hand, is an ancestor of Elegost Whitehorn and his older brother Elendol. Two Dúnedain rangers of mine that will be roleplayed in my upcoming RPG - The Chronicles of Ergoth.

High Lord of Imladris
@Annúnfalas yeah for sure do what you need to do in your next post you can godmode my character scarring him as discussed before we split apart since we really haven't done that yet - my only attack was low really in the last post- that way we can move on to the next portion of this fight.

Loremaster of the Herd
@Nessa Saelind sorry my Bor has been so long in the coming! should happen in the next few I promise, been traveling a bit getting back to school.

New Soul
No worries @Androthelm *hugs* I got through a quarter of mine before I got sidetracked by environmental issues and the post turned into an adaptation and explanation of the Bronze Age collapse in ME (I can hear you laughing @Tharmáras :lol: ). I decided to blame volcanos and a podcast for this sidetrack :lol: Luckily, caught myself on time, so if no further distractions are provided I should be done with my part by the weekend. *fingers crossed*
She/her.

Loremaster of the Herd
Oooh. Excited to read it @Nessa Saelind. I might let you go first, then -- my folks will already be on the wolf-hunt when my post begins, so it shouldn't interfere at all.

(I would also LOVE to hear your BA collapse theories, Middle Earth or otherwise :lol:)

New Soul
I might have been a tad bit too optimistic when I said this epic thing would be done by the weekend :embarrassed: Had to do another round of side research for what I wanted to do and then RL reminded me (how rude!) that housework doesn't get done by faeries :lol: Next week should be better, so I should get it done, sorry if you're waiting on me @Androthelm my time managing skills are apparently on vacation this cold January :embarrassed:
She/her.

New Soul
I'm sure there no need to apologize. This thread will never die lol

Esquire of The Mark
Can I ask where you fine folks are at in the AoA thread? I didn’t know if there was any chance of being able to join in at this point or not.

New Soul
I have often taken days to write one post, @Nessa Saelind as you know, go Team Turtle! Androthelm and I are excited to see you start Bor's folks off!

I'll tag you in my next Himring post coming up for you, Celebrin, as well as Lantaelen and Tarawen and Laintaen !

@Ta'leus Shieldsong , like Celebrin said, AoA will never die :headbang: ! Its eternal life is due to largely in part to the committted activity of its few members. We've always had a small group of members. We need you and I'm glad you're here :thumbs: . Right now we're still in the beginning of the RPG :nod: ; we will reach the middle part when Beren (me) meets Lúthien (Moriel). At the moment, the Bragollach War has just started; the Northern regions of Beleriand are literally aflame and the minions have begun assaulting Elves and Men. We can help you start NPC creation (if you have a primary Plaza Elven character living during this time, you can write him or her as well) and if you want a canon character to play, just look here and let me know who or what you want, friend. https://lotrfanaticsplaza.com/forum/vie ... 8938#p8938

I recently posted as Aredhel for Moriel and Rivvy. The next post I make for be for Cassie and Frost concerning the Gondolin emergency council Turgon calls after speaking to Thorondor.
Last edited by Eriol on Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

New Soul
That sounds great, @Annúnfalas ! I'm excited to see Elegost's ancestors :dance: :smiley17: ! Let me know if you will eventually have them stay in Brethil or in Hithlum where Emeldir takes the Beorian refugees. My characters will settle in the Wethrin Valleys, the slower slopes of Ered Wethrin where Magor, a Third House chieftain, once settled and from which Hador came to Hithlum. That area becomes the Mel Lona island in the Second Age. They will be visiting Hithlum though so if Elegost and Elendol live there later, my people can visit them and their descendants. Maybe Elegost and Elendol meet Gwendolyn and her parents as they pass over the mountains when Emeldir's refugees get close, those who don't opt settling in Brethil and Magor's valleys.

Esquire of The Mark
Well I must say I quite like the idea of roleplaying as Galdor the Tall. Hmmm. Belegund too does sound appealing to write.

New Soul
@Ta'leus Shieldsong , great to have you! Belegund is presently 33 years old. I play his older brother, Baragund. Right now Belegund could be at the family estate in Ladros and could fight Orcs, a force of Gorgol's host now discovering the noble family's home, alongside Beren played by me. If you're interested, I could set us up there like I have promised Tarawen (playing Morwen) and tag you when I'm ready! Belegund and Baragund will both be killed by Gorgol five years later in this RPG while they're hiding from Sauron in Ladros. Rian is his daughter. She's 5 years old currently (she will be killed in the next RPG, Ages of Arda IV: Masters of Doom) and is being played by @MEOW . She will be escaping from Dorthonion with her mom and Emeldir, going to Brethil.

Galdor the Tall is currently 38 years old; he will soon become Chieftain of the Third House in this RPG when Hador is killed. Galdor will die seven years after the Dagor Bragollach in this RPG when Morgoth sent a great force against Hithlum. If you like, you can have Galdor alerted by the alarum bells ringing in Eithel Sirion Fortress; he can see a field of flames burning beyond the walls of the citadel. Have him ready himself for war; you can have Galdor meet his father, King Fingolfin, and the elven commanders in the council room of the tower. Galdor can see Eärcolanté - an Elven cavalry captain, Rivvy Elf's NPC - collapse due to his burn wounds.

Casting call, folks:

So far no one has chosen to play Belegund's unnamed, unseen wife. Tolkien did not mention when she died. Maybe @Nessa Saelind would like to volunteer and could write her off at some point. Maybe sometime before or after her daughter dies of a broken heart on Haudh-en-Ndengin, the Hill of the Slain, in Anfauglith in Masters of Doom; the mother could have survived the murder of her husband and the death of her child. I strongly suggest the mother lives beyond Dorthonion so that way we can see her raise Rian into adulthood and because Tolkien said many women & children left Dorthonion with Emeldir.

Belegund's sister is named Beleth. She is currently 38 years old and has no death date. It is assumed that Beleth was married and had descendants from her unknown children; her only known canon offspring is Beregar, a nobleman of Númenor and the father of Erendis. Perhaps you'd be interested, @Annúnfalas ? I know you love the ocean and here is a sea connection.

Hareth, daughter of Halmir Chieftain of the Haladin, is currently 35 years old and living in Dor-Lomin. She is married to Galdor the Tall; she is the mother of Hurin and Huor who are presently being fostered in Brethil by their uncle. Tolkien didn't give her a death date. Hareth would be 52 years old by the time of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad and the occupation of Ulfang's Easterlings in the Masters of Doom RPG....could have some great drama with her there and we could possibly write her off during that time, killed by one of the evil Swarthy Men. Any takers?

New Soul
Thank you @Tharmáras. Emeldir has made a strong impression on Brina, so I think I will have them follow her to Hithlum when the time comes. And I would love for your characters to visit mine once there. As for your suggestion, I will gladly take Beleth. Since she is 38 years old, I can make a husband and at least one child for her. I am open to whatever you suggest of course.

I would be delighted to roleplay as Hareth as well, should it please the TR.
:headbang:

New Soul
I hope you like this meme, @Annúnfalas :rofl: ! I love playing with this Meme App you gave me :tongue: :smooch: .

Gwendolyn's parents - Clara and Jamie (he's at the Pass of Sirion now, fighting along side Tharmaras and soon Earmana & Annunfalas) - live in the Vales of Maglor. Gwendolyn goes there with Emeldir's exodus so she would know Elegost and Elendol during the passage. Gwendolyn's husband, Nathaniel Galerida, will be reaching the Vales of Maglor with Cassie's character, Mads, inevitably. Nathaniel is the ancestor of Khallador who Elegost knows in the modern day :headbang: . Presently, Clara is visiting one of Cassie's characters in Hithlum by way of the Darthir Pass Tolkien mentioned in Unfinished Tales so the family will see your characters through that route, too, when they settle there :grouphug: !

Hareth and Beleth (including her husband and child who you can name) are all yours! Cassie and I have Elves - Ospiel and Laurielote - who try helping the Edain of the Third and First House during the occupation in the next RPG (this is being hinted at in the Narn Cûminya short story she and I are writing in the Ever On RP though we get the tail end of it) until they are forced to flee Hithlum. Maybe they can help Hareth in some way we could plot, at least Laurielote. We'll think up stuff for Beleth and her posterity leading up to Erendis' father in the Second Age as time goes on :dance: !

New Soul
Tharmáras wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:42 amSo far no one has chosen to play Belegund's unnamed, unseen wife. Tolkien did not mention when she died. Maybe @Nessa Saelind would like to volunteer and could write her off at some point. Maybe sometime before or after her daughter dies of a broken heart on Haudh-en-Ndengin, the Hill of the Slain, in Anfauglith in Masters of Doom; the mother could have survived the murder of her husband and the death of her child. I strongly suggest the mother lives beyond Dorthonion so that way we can see her raise Rian into adulthood and because Tolkien said many women & children left Dorthonion with Emeldir.
Well apparently I am a very good wife :lol: (someone needs to alert my future husband of this fact :lol: ) so yes I will gladly write Belegund's unseen and unnamed but very good wife. :grin: Who will most likely not have a name beginning with a B because there are too many humans with B names running around Beleriand at this point in time :googly: And I'll have to adjust my expectations about raising a daughter who chose to die of grief *grumbles into the void, such a waste*
She/her.

New Soul
Reading your funny OOC comments either on the Plaza or Discord can lift the spirits on a depressing day @Nessa Saelind , lol. I appreciate you and thanks for accepting the next Good Wife role ⚘.

Esquire of The Mark
@Tharmáras I would be happy to play both, but I think it would be best to ease myself into it with your suggestion of RP'ing Belegund with you since you also play as Baragund.

New Soul
Belegund is all yours, @Ta'leus Shieldsong !

Since no one has taken Galdor the Tall in all this time, I claim him.

I'll update the Dramatis Personae in Imladris Archives to show which characters Ta-leus, Nessa, and Erica I have mentioned above.

New Soul
Tharmáras wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:08 pmReading your funny OOC comments either on the Plaza or Discord can lift the spirits on a depressing day @Nessa Saelind , lol. I appreciate you and thanks for accepting the next Good Wife role ⚘.
Thank you! :smooch: This historically hysterical circus is in town 24/7 for everyone's delight and amusement :lol: Oh and I need to send you the final update about who's who in Bor's household as soon as it's completed so you have that list as well. *writes a post-it note, slaps it on the laptop*
She/her.

New Soul
And the second time I've sent you a Romy and Michele gif this year, @Nessa Saelind .

Looking forward to seeing Bor's household staff :smooch: .

Balrog
I see the sea shanty has infected you as well @Annúnfalas! I greatly enjoyed your parody version :grin: now we can't stop until the entire Plaza is emeshed with sea shanties :bounce:
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

High Lord of Imladris
The King in Yellow wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:44 am I see the sea shanty has infected you as well @Annúnfalas! I greatly enjoyed your parody version :grin: now we can't stop until the entire Plaza is emeshed with sea shanties :bounce:
I will completely admit to getting my dad addicted to the Wellerman Seashanty that was mixed from the tiktok... He was so upset when I told him it was a random tiktok chain singing it and not a group because he wanted more so.... I am fine with sea shanties everywhere I demand more sea shanties in BoB in Gondor.

Thanks. :winkkiss:

New Soul
I'll drop a Masefield poem in BoB or someplace in Lindon or Dol Amroth. 🌊

Glad to see posts again in AoA and this ooc thread.

Aw, the sea-shanty was for Tharmáras!!! And about Crabanel :rofl: !! She has to hear this before she dies in the Second Age :rofl:! Tharmáras has a better woman now 💞

Balrog
Annúnfalas wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:53 am It has become my number one excuse for integrating every which one I have heard and enjoyed over the years into my posts @The King in Yellow. May we spread the maritime mirth to every corner of the Plaza. Hehe.

Finnbarr is embracing every single chance I can reasonably (or unreasonably, let's be honest) to sing a sea shanty, fighting, sailing, waiting to board a cruise ship, hell once he gets on the cruise no one is going to be able to shut him up. Plus I'm planning a story arc with him called "Leave Her, Johnny"
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
I just wanna take this moment and tell people that I have always cherished @Moriel 's epic post as Laurelin in Ages of Arda III: Children of Endor 🌳🧡: it's still one of my top 5 favorite Plaza posts from her. I asked Moriel recently to please repost it (it's something I want to reread numerous times). She has placed it in Beyond. I'm overjoyed she has kept it all these years.

Moriel is marvelous. :winkkiss:

https://lotrfanaticsplaza.com/forum/vie ... 988#p42988

High Lord of Imladris
@Annúnfalas That is exactly the one. It is honestly one of the best there are a few of them on Tik Tok that are totally worth it. I love it so much I literally am working on a dance for a dance comp for the remixed part with the music in it because why not lol. (honestly Lukethevoice to ANY of them is gold since he's that super deep bass)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6nofz9vqM

Is another favourite of mine I remember when it was just dreddd in it - the story behind it is pretty freaking awesome

New Soul
@Annúnfalas , you should make a companion piece for the Cruise RP, someone singing an Elven sea-shanty of Tharmáras' new marriage 💞 :smooch: !

Black Númenórean
Davos will be kicking the cruise off with Wellerman when we set sail :grin:

@Tharmáras :smooch:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Thankyou for your patience/apologies for my divergence re: recent posts set back in early Mithrim of the First Age. Flashbacks meant to set up scenes at Maglor's Gap during the Bragollach, as well as a Herumacil/Earenolwe feud in Third Age Lindon sort of took on an expansive life of their own and needed to be exorcised from the posts they were meant to simply introduce. But I do swear, that was the last of their kind to be posted here, and I shall now return my AOA focus to your regularly scheduled viewing of antics during the Bragollach War. :winkkiss:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Black Númenórean
I'd like to thank the 'Epic Motivational Music' playlist on Spotify for its contributions to The Ballad of Breigon :googly:

Spring break writing is going slower than anticipated due to being unexpectedly SO TIRED and sleeping a bunch when I'm not working :lol: but I'm still planning to try and get completely caught up on AoA posts by the end of the weekend if at all possible :grin:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

New Soul
You know I loved them, @Ercassie 😘💗 and I'm anticipating the post I write Maglor demanding the truth from Macil, Nenloico, Rincion, Erfaron, Elenillor, and Earenolwë, and your reply to that. Then we can play out many things in that time period mentioned in Earen's bio 🤩!

I'm specifically looking forward to Eöl charming Aredhel and Indilë slaying again, @Moriel 😍! Also you writing Amras for the first time but you'll most likely need to wait for me as Amrod.

I'll return with updates for Gondolin, Himring, Ladros, the forests of East Beleriand, the Pass of Sirion, Aman, and Ulfang's Easterlings soon :hobbyhorse: . I just need to write 3 more posts in Gondor, 1 should be finished tonight. I'll write Glorfindel until our Rivvy, who we sorely miss and is ever in our thoughts, is back with us.

High Warden of Tower
Well, that's that then, Anforth has reported for duty, and I'll see if he is willing to stick around for a while.

New Soul
@Moriel @Baphởmet - may I express my absolute joy and delight that your Fall of Thargelion collaboration in AoA is preserved and once again in the thread <3 It was one of the most beautifully heartbreaking things I've read this year on the Plaza and I'm so overjoyed that it's back and that I can read it again. You are both very amazing! :smooch:
She/her.

Balrog
Lucky for everyone (maybe), past!me was acutally smart enough to save his posts in Word. What a concept!

New Soul
I'll just leave this here and run :lol:
Revered Grandmother wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:56 am Image
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
WE ALL KNOW I BACK UP NOTHING.

LOL (Okay not entirely true I did save one thread I had LITERALLY nothing staked in. Why no one will ever know not even me) I think in this case someone else saved my biscuits for my Melviriel and other posts in here.