The Return of the ARPYS - Phase 2

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
New Soul
Welcome! Welcome! Thrice welcome!

Sil (@Goostradamus), the Right and Horrible Gøøs(e)tradamus, Fuin (@Fuin Elda) of the 3 racoons and I, your humble chronicler, proudly present the NuPlaza ARPYS!

What’s an ARPY precioussss? We have no memory of this place...

Worry not, dear reader(s), your humble chronicler is here to assist. Adhering to the rules of The Historian’s Craft, the humble chronicler attaches or in this case links the primary source: Fuin’s text about the ARPYS. In essence, the ARPYS are the Oscars of the RP world.

Armed with this knowledge let us now go forth now and acknowledge the greatness of our creations from the long year of 2020, and see how the NuPlaza ARPYS are going to function.

NuPlaza ARPYS – a comprehensive guide

In the spirit of democracy and openness of the NuPlaza, the above-mentioned triumvirate has decided that the NuARPYS are going to be chosen by you dear reader(s).

So what exactly do I need to do, I hear you ask. It is a (relatively) simple task. Remember that awesome character you or somebody else created, or a fascinating collaborative story arc? That superbly written post in lore, or that breathtaking artwork in the CoLP you saw? Go through the forums or fora (whichever term you prefer) and find the posts that were written by December 31st 2020 that you would like to nominate for the ARPY award in the following categories (more on those below) and send your nomination(s) to the ARPY e-mail with a link to the post.
Important chronicler’s note on the marginalia: Works that are considered for the nominations are the ones written by the 31st December 2020. You are not obliged to find nominations for every category, you can send one or as many as you like. Also, you can nominate your own work for an award in a selected category – go for it! You worked hard on it!

The categories (and a brief explanation) for the 2020 NuPlaza ARPYS

Best OP Post – the opening post of a thread that got you excited and thinking “Yes! I need to be a part of this! Lemme find a character real quick...”
Best Dramatic Post – we all love a good drama *hauls popcorn*
Best Comedic Post – it ain’t easy being funny dear reader, but we try very, very hard to make you laugh and entertain you
Best Character – any being, plant, animal, object… Everything goes :winkkiss:
Best Historical/Canon Character – regardless if they major or minor canon characters or what age they belong to, portraying them is nerve-racking, but when one does a good job it’s very rewarding. You might even get an ARPY nomination/award!
Best RPr – the creative behind the character(s)/story we salute you
Best Small Collaboration (up to 3 people) – small creative collaborative projects also deserve love from us as much as the people who are collabing like doing it
Best GM – give the GMs some love, they work very hard and try their best to entertain you
Best Game – it’s all fun and games until the GM rolls the dice and suddenly you’re surrounded by cave trolls with pitchforks and sentenced to be hanged by the neck until dead and now what ya gonna do :grin:
Best RPG – as the saying goes: does what it says on the tin :grin: with one caveat: the RPG you are nominating for this category has to be an RPG that finished by December 31st 2020.
Best Lore Post – funny or serious, it matters not. Everything goes.
Best Original Artwork – illustrations, paintings, drawings, photography, artistic work that is not-textual… You get the gist of it. :winkkiss:
Best Original Poetry– to quote the great Dead Poets SocietyWe don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.”

Voting and timelines for the ARPY nominations

It’s simple and easy, and I’ve even created a template (mainly because your chronicler is a wannabe Euro-bureaucrat who loves a good template more than Hobbits love their second breakfast) so you can c/p if you don’t want to think about it.

e-mail your nominations to plazaarpys [at] gmail [dot] com (remove and merge as necessary), write the category you are nominating for and include the link to the post. Rinse and repeat until finished. See nice and uncomplicated. :nod:

The aforementioned template:
To: plazaarpys [at] gmail [dot] com (remove and merge as necessary)
Subject: ARPY nominations
Category + link to the post (Rinse and repeat until finished).

You have until the 16th of February 2021, Plaza time, to send in your nominations. Then the triumvirate will withdraw into conclave and will go through your nominations (you thought award processes don’t include bureaucracy? Sweet summer children…) Once the triumvirate triumphantly emerges from the conclave (white smoke rises from the ARPY building…) we will post the nominations and we will, once again, ask you to submit your votes for the ARPY categories. Dates and times for the second part of this process will be finalised after the nominations are in.

That’s it! Go forth and nominate!

PHASE II - VOTING

The instructions regarding the voting phase are simple. In separate posts, the Triumvirate provides:

1. information regarding nominees
2. instructions on how to vote
3. link to the post that was nominated
4. a small extract from the nominated post {in addition to the optional commentary from the member of the Triumvirate, usually yours truly :lol: }

To vote, you have to click on the Google poll provided with every post, insert your Plaza username in the provided space and pick your favourite from the category.

Bellow, you will find the post for the categories and link to the Google poll for the category.

Last edited by Nessa Saelind on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Ent Ancient
Dear most honoured triumvirate,
will you answer me these questions three?
1. May we nominate multiple people/posts/things per category?
2. Are the members of the triumvirate eligible?; and
3. Are admins eligible?
(Hint: I am hoping the answers are all yes but if not I'll get over it...maybe...)
If I am not allowed to ask questions, then please delete/burn/eat this post/whatever you see fit.

New Soul
First of all, @Lailyn, of course, you can ask questions! In fact, if anyone has any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to leave them in this thread and the Triumvirate will get back to you ASAP. In addition please feel free to post any other ARPY related comments, predictions for who might be nominated for what, open a gambling den :lol: (you have my blessings, don't know about other elves, men and all the other free people of Middle Earth :lol: ) and bet on your favourites. May the odds be ever in your favour! Don't forget to tip your local tax person and make sure the Triumvirate gets a cut of the profits! :winkkiss: :rofl:

With this delightful image to fuel everyone's RP ideas, let's get back to the questions:

1. May we nominate multiple people/posts/things per category? - Yes, in the nomination stage everyone can nominate multiple people/posts/things per category. No limitations here. However, when we get to the voting phase (part dux of the ARPYS) only one vote per category will be accepted, so, unfortunately, we will be mean and make you choose. :mwahaha: :flail:
2. Are the members of the triumvirate eligible? - You can nominate us, or the posts that we wrote, but we will be honourable mentions and not be eligible to vote for when the voting phase begins.
3. Are admins eligible? - Yes they are. For the ARPYS they are treated like any other member of the Plaza, so go ahead.

I hope this helps you Lail :smooch: and everyone else who was unsure about this. :grouphug:
She/her.

Master Torturer
Can you pick and chose which ones to nominate for? There are 1-2 categories I don't know if I could fill :(

New Soul
@Winddancer - you don't have to find a nomination for every category :winkkiss: You can send in the nominations for just one, or as many categories as you like or have inspiration for. :nod: And if you happen to change your mind and find nomination(s) for a category you skipped before the deadline you can send in an addendum. :smooch:
She/her.

Master Torturer
Thanking yous! <3

Ent Ancient
It will be impossible to choose one but I'm glad I can nominate many. You've made me a happy tree - thanks, Nessa! :smooch:

Loremaster of the Herd
Oh my... That's a lot of categories! But I'll certainly try and get a list together. There's certainly somebody on here who deserves each of those, even if I can't come up with them off the top of my head.

If I can ask... How stringent is the "2020" element? If somebody has really impressed us in the last month, should we hold off or is that okay for nomination?
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

High Lord of Imladris
@Androthelm Unfortunately we are stringent on it but the good news is you can SHUFFLE the link to that post away in a file if you like and submit it to next years ARPYS as they are a yearly thing! (at least that is how they are planned to be!

New Soul
Fuin Elda wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:12 pm SHUFFLE the link to that post away in a file if you like and submit it to next years ARPYS as they are a yearly thing!
This! I would also like to suggest something regarding keeping track of posts folk think are ARPY worthy. Of course, if you want to, it's optional. When the nominations for the Hugos roll around writers eligible for the nominations post (self-promote) a list of their eligible works for that year so the voters would know what categories they could nominate them. You can also keep such a list for your own works here on the Plaza, and/or for the works of others. So when the ARPYS time comes again you can just open your list and c/p things.

Maybe even post your suggestions here at the nomination phase of the ARPYS so other voters could see what you find ARPY worthy. Just some food for thought at a late hour (at least it's late for me here :lol: )
She/her.

Ent Ancient
psst @Androthelm you could nominate this person for MotM?

Loremaster of the Herd
ohhhh that is clever @Lailyn lol. I was a touch caught up in the ARPY HYPE but I'll consider :)
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Master Torturer
Wait, you said those running this are eligible to vote for, but when it comes time to vote you guys cant vote? But can you win the category? I need that to be a yes!

High Lord of Imladris
@Winddancer We will be automatically moved to the Would if We Could category meaning that we will not be eligible to win any other categories.

New Soul
What @Fuin Elda said! *insert this gif*

Just in case: You can nominate the posts Sil, Fuin and I made in any category you want. It's fine at this stage. :winkkiss: But after the Triumvirate receives your nominations and we make a selection and move over to Phase 2 of the ARPYS (yes, Marvel called and said they want their phrase back :lol: but I'm not giving it up so :tongue: ) we won't be eligible for voting. TLDR: the Triumvirate is eligible for nominations (phase), not eligible for voting (phase). :D

Also, a not so gentle reminder :tongue: you have 3 more days to send in your nominations. It's Valentine's weekend, so show your love to your Plaza crushes by nominating them for something. :grin: Or ya know do your civic duty, because voting is important! And we didn't have multiple (bloody) revolutions so we could have the right to vote and you're not using it, are you? :tongue:
She/her.

Balrog
sent in my nominations; I didn't nominate in each category but did enough in the categories I did nominate to balance it out. (yikes, that was an unintentional tongue twister)
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Master Torturer
*Is not happy with that*

High Lord of Imladris
@Winddancer Understandable but as we choose from all the nominations who gets through to the voting phase that wouldn't be terribly fair for us to be eligible beyond nominations. THat said we (me for sure) will use any Triumvirate nominations in WIWC filler posts for the actual ceremony.

Master Torturer
It would be totally fair!

High Lord of Imladris
@Winddancer @The King in Yellow (Everyone else as well) (Frost in case you want to add any posts from the three of us)

After a quick discussion based on how nominations are going to work, as well as voting in the end The three of us @Goostradamus @A Good Wife and myself have decided that yes, if you so wish you may nominate us and we will be eligible for awards as we will work out a proper voting method that will be fair as we were originally going to be the tie breakers but we've now thought of a few methods that would allow for more impartial voting should there be a tie.

Master Torturer
WOOOT! :headbang:

Black Númenórean
Oh my gosh, choosing posts and people to nominate was quite the challenge! The Plaza is full of such talent! That said, I've just sent in some nominations. :grin:
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Balrog
Given the news, I've added several more posts to my nomination list, I promise not to send another three emails with corrections and additions, two at most :grin:
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
I have just sent in the few nominations that I wanted to submit.

I'm happy to see the ARPYS back on the Plaza. I used to be on the panel with Fuin in the olden days. I have fond memories of it.
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

Ent Ancient
So happy to hear you will all be eligible too! :grin: I agree with Tara, it is a challenge to choose but I'm so glad we are lucky enough to be able to say that. I've sent most of my nom's but plan to followup with a few more. :smooch:

High Lord of Imladris
Thanks for all the nominations! I'm working on getting them into our datasheet for the time being! Looking forward to the rest of the nominations as some of you send a few more nominations.

I have noticed that several nominations are for posts that are after january 1st 2021 or later - I am tucking these away in a file for next year so if you do not see them in this years nominations double check what date they were and know they were tucked away.

New Soul
I just sent in another!
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

New Soul
Thank you for all the nominations and addendum(s) to the nominations you sent! :smooch: Keep up the good work people!

If you haven't sent your nominations this is the last day to do it. The nominations phase ends today, February 16th 2021 at midnight CST! So if you haven't please e-mail us your nominations by then!
She/her.

Khazad Elder
I have sent in some nominations. A black box kept appearing in my Yahoo every time I posted a link from the Plaza. I may have posted two links for the same category due to this black box confusion. :googly:

It is nice to see the return of the ARPYS!
The world was fair in Durin's Day

High Lord of Imladris
No worries @Drifa you are allowed multiple nominations for the same catergory

High Lord of Imladris
JUST OVER 6 hours before the cut off for nominations!

Get em in or forever bemoan (to yourself I don't want to hear it you were warned :tongue: ) your favourite posts, posters, and threads from 2020 will never be recognized with even a nomination in the ARPYS.

New Soul
Phase 1 aka sending in your nominations is complete!

Thank you everyone! :clap: *hugs* The Triumvirate will now withdraw into conclave so we can sort trough your nominations. Once that is complete, Phase 2 will commence. We'll announce the nominees in a separate post with additional instructions regarding the voting process. Stay tuned! Keep your fingers crossed, light candles, do a dance ritual, or an Eurovision performance for bonus Nessa points :lol: or you know just be you. We'll see you on the other side!
She/her.

New Soul
The opening post has been edited with information for the voting phase, with added links and instructions. :winkkiss: Go forth and vote people!
She/her.