Who Will Survive? {Halloween Game}

And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.
High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 109 (+4)
Jaquen H'ghar 16 (-4)

While I have never been fond of underground despite growing up in Menegroth I always found Khazad-dum to be an exception to that. Perhaps it's because dwarves know their delving as well as elves and were not born under the stars so perhaps I trust their skills better than my own peers.

Khazad Elder
POWER ELIMINATION
This works just like any other Character Elimination game, except the elimination will be by 4 points using only the characters listed below. Play is basically the same except you will take -4 points away and give +4 back, etc..
UPDATE FROM PAGE 11 UP TO THIS POST

2. Gendry Baratheon
4. Grey Worm
6. Brienne of Tarth
10. Jaqen H'ghar
11. Daario Naharis 39
19. Lord Varys
21. Loras Tyrell
25. Ser Pounce
28. Ellaria Sand 15
29. Jon Snow 114
31. Khal Drogo 101
34. Oberyn Martell
36. Yoren
39. Missandei
54. Tormund Giantsbane
56. Tommen Baratheon

Good Luck!

Jon Snow 122 (+4)
Brienne of Tarth 7 (-4)

Yes, Dwarves know their delving. They start from the cradle so to speak, born with a silver pick-ax in their hands. It is good to hear that a Firstborn admire Khazad-dûm so. Menegroth, The Thousand Caves of Doriath. You did know that it was delved by the Dwarves of the Blue Mountain's, eh?
Last edited by Drifa on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:18 am, edited 6 times in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 113 (+4)
Jaquen H'ghar 12 (-4)

I had learned that well after it's fall, when I lived there I was admittedly not much for the history of how it was built, it was a strange mix of elvish design and underground even if it was delved by the Dwarves it still felt wrong to me, and well we do know what happened in the end in those halls so perhaps it was for the best that I disliked them so, and even more so the thought of being a handmaiden in them. I know the wood elf halls are based off of them and I must admit it is why I so rarely have visited the Woodland realm to the North, though they are perhaps my closest kin on these shores.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 126 (+4)
Brienne of Tarth 3 (-4)

I never really thought of how similar Thingol's realm and the Mirkwood realm was until now. I always wondered about the Enchanted River that flowed across the Elf-path that led west to east through Mirkwood to Thranduil's halls. I thought it might have something to do with the elves themselves ( like the Girdle of Melian). But I have discovered that it may have been due to the giant spiders that inhabited northern Mirkwood. During the First Age, we're told that the offspring of Ungoliant defiled the waters that flowed out of Ered Gorgoroth, so that those drinking from them would be '...filled with shadows of madness and despair' (Quenta Silmarillion 14, Of Beleriand and its Realms)

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 117 (+4)
Jaquen H'ghar 8 (-4)

To put someone asleep while they are in the water is a cruel death. Even when Thranduils men captured the dwarves they were not worried as to kill them. No the river were it elven enchanted more likely would refresh friend and send for back the way they came.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 129 (+3)
Brienne of Tarth 0 (-3)
ELIMINATED

Hmm, elves are not all that kind. The Girdle of Melian, that could not be seen, would catch interlopers in a maze of darkness and confusion. Even good interlopers. I don't know, falling a sleep in the water and never waking up or starving in the forest? I don't fancy eating myself! 😋

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 121 (+4)
Jaquen H'ghar 4 (-4)

Indeed you are right though Melian is no elf and the forests of Doriath had plenty of food in them they were not as Mirkwood is, full of only questionable plants if you stray from the path. I grew up there in those forests so starvation would be a long way off. I swear if it's not a full roasted pig it's not enough food for a dwarf deer and spruce grouse would not do for a dwarf haha :winkkiss:

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 133 (+4)
Jaquen H'ghar 0 (-4) ELIMINATED

Yes, Melian the Maia, not the elf. But Thingol was an elf, and he got scared after the first battle in the Wars of Beleriand and called all his people that could be summoned home and Melian put forth her power and fenced them in. I am sure Thingol had a say in this. None could pass against her will or Thingol's. And yes there was food in Doriath, but you couldn't get in for the forests were encompassed by the Girdle of Melian . It was outside this girdle that the darkness and confusion lay. 😊 Man I love this stuff!

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 125 (+4)
Daario Naharis 39 (-4)

Perhaps one might argue that, but that is also why there were marchwardens to find those that had gotten lost such as Turin and remove them or guide them safely inside if that was the will of the lord and Lady. Not that there were not breaches of the girdle without their consent after all some wills are incredibly powerful.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 137 (+4)
Tormund Giantsbane 7 (-4)

Yes it was lucky that Beleg was out hunting that day and heard the cries of Túrin and his guides. If not they may have succumbed right then and there for they were near death, I have read. Still, it was quite tricky finding ones way into the hidden kingdom. Beren is the only one I know of and that mad wolf, Carcharoth who had Beren's hand, the one that held the Silmarillion, in his belly. :grin:

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 129 (+4)
Tormund Giantsbane 3 (-4)

I had a habit of coming and going as I pleased once I was old enough to hunt for we lived near the girdle, and my father felt it kinder to let the food that was inside go to those that couldn't leave as easily as we could. I assume my father got permission for me to wander back and forth at will, I certainly didn't have the will to contend with Melian back then

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 141 (+4)
Missandei 7 (-4)

Strange times you have lived through. Sometimes I am glad that I am not that long lived. The only worry I really worry about is having some foolish male dwarves digging to deep and releasing a beast. :grin:
And speaking of bellies, have you ever tried the honey-cakes of the Beornings? Would you say that they are somewhat as good as lembas? I have tried neither but I have heard that the honey-cakes, although delicious, make one thirsty. Does the lembas make one thirsty too?
Last edited by Drifa on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 133 (+4)
Missandei 3 (-4)

Haha yes there are apparently quite a number of dark things in the deep that I've heard of some of which not even Morgoth had a hand in. As for honey-cakes I've never had any from a Beorning, I have had other honey cakes but I did not find those made me thirsty. As for Lembas, I must admit I have never had them, they are not as common place as many think it is rare to get them, even when Melian was about, they are a gift of extreme value to a traveler so I would assume they would not make one parched and in need of a drink but I can not confirm that.

Edit:Fixed the point count
Last edited by Fuin Elda on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 145 (+4)
Oberyn Martell 20 (-4)

Morgoth/Melkor! I often think, having been created by the 'offspring of 'Ilúvatar's thought', which dark part did Ilúvatar let slip? Each Ainur, I have read, was given understanding only of that part of the mind of Ilúvatar from which he or she came. But Melkor had a part of the gifts of all the others. Why? What slipped from Eru's thought that caused this tragedy? He was the conductor. Maybe his baton broke, eh? :smile:

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 137 (+4)
Oberyn Martell 16 (-4)

Honestly Dark and light need to exist together balance is a thing. I don't think it slipped so much needing something to balance. If it were not for Melkor we would not have snow, we would not have the Sun and the moon. I think perhaps it is better that we had only one rampant dark valar, imagine if we'd had several? How long would those wars take and how many more lives lost?

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 149 (+4)
Oberyn Martell 14 (-4)

True, balance is good. Still, it is strange how he allowed Melkor to have a part of the thoughts of all the others.

The month is nearly over. Looks like it is going to stretch into March and maybe beyond. The Spring may bring an end to it and then it will be orc slashing time, I hope. :smile:

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 141 (+4)
Oberyn Martell 8 (-4) (corrected to the proper number)

Sometimes thoughts evolve he was probably one of the first and the rest came after when he thought on each thing more specifically. That would be my guess but what can and elf and dwarf truly know about the mind of Illuvatar himself?

We're going at a pretty good clip so far! I think if we managed a few posts a day we might even make it just before or a few days into March but it would probably have to be two posts from each of us.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 153 (+4)
Oberyn Martell 4 (-4)

Thanks for keeping your sharp eyes on the score. I get distracted at times plus, I suffer from shorted sightedness as most dwarves do. Yes if we keep the pace up, by gosh we may get rid of this lot soon. Thanks for fixing the score.

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 145 (+4)
Oberyn Martell 0 (-4) ELIMINATED

No worries I am a fan of this ending sooner rather than never! Can't wait for the next game after this one

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 157 (+4)
Sur Pounce 17 (-4)

Me too! Can't wait! There will be blood and guts (orc's and maybe some unfortunate dwarf's and elf's) and the waters will run red. Which, when you think of it, is a good thing. Keeping it contained in the water nice and tidy like, is a good thing. 😁

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 149 (+4)
Sur Pounce 13 (-4)

I mean sure. though the dead bodies in the water are problematic for anything wanting to drink said water. I am not one to overly complain just move further upstream rather than down and we should be all fine.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 160 (+3)
Missandei 0 (-3) Eliminated

The blood will be in the water, not the bodies. The bodies will be piled up on the ground, in heaps, forming mounds. No not mounds, hills! No, wait! Not hills, mountains! The blood will run down from this elevated carnage and into the waters. The corpse will then be separated. Orcs will lie and be eaten (or not) by scavengers or other orcs. Dwarves will be taken to the Halls of their Fathers.

Where will the elves be taken?

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 153 (+4)
Sur Pounce 9 (-4)

The elves? After such a battle if they passed would go to the Halls of Nando's to rest and heal until the uneasiness in their souls are healed and then they will be reborn in the splendor of Aman away from all the hurts of Middle Earth never to return until perhaps the very changing of the world.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 164 (+4)
Sur Pounce 5 (-4)

I see. So your body will lay with the orcs? Or will you kin move it to a serene garden where it will wait to be reunited with its spirit. I do hope they are moved and not left with the bloody orcs.

Edit: Oops, eliminated Brienne of Tarth twice! :lol:

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 157 (+4)
Sur Pounce 1 (-4)

It depends. Some battles there have been so many lost that they lay with the orcs. The Deadmarshes are the last field of battle that one can see in Middle Earth like that, but often there was little time to clear all the bodies for the fighting was so fierce and so deadly that taking the bodies back would outnumber the living to take them back... We do try to seperate them if we can or bury them but the body rots as does any other there is only tale of one elf that reinhabited their original body as it was and that was because it was in Aman when she decided to pass to the halls of Mandos for she was too tired and it was tended in the Gardens there so that it would not come to harm...

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 167 (+3)
Tormund Giantsbane 0 (-3) ELIMINATED

Yes, I recall now reading about the haunted marshlands beside the Battle Plain. Such a sad time for all. Even the victory seemed bittersweet because of all the lives lost and the weakness that kept the ring from be destroyed.

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 161 (+4)
Ellaria Sand 11 (-4)

Yes it is very sad. I do not think the battle you speak of though will be nearly as consuming of lives as the Last Alliance was, which was also far smaller than some of the other losses of life that have happened in my life time.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 171 (+4)
Ellaria Sand 7 (-4)

War
Listen to me
What is it good for
Ooh war, I despise
'Cause it means destruction of innocent lives
War means tears, to thousands of mother's eyes
When their sons go off to fight and lose their lives

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 165 (+4)
Ellaria Sand 3 (-4)

Indeed it is not good for anything. Except perhaps to deepen ones sorrow at the hurts of the world. That said I do believe we are getting fantastically close to the end though I am not sure who all remains at this point we have been bouncing around a bit on this one though you have eliminated a good many so far.

Khazad Elder
Jon Snow 172 (+1)
Sur Pounce 0 (-1) Eliminated

Yes we are almost there. A few characters left. I have struck out the eliminates from the list. It should be over soon. Thanks for sticking it out. Such a fun way to chat and get to know your fellow Middle-earther. :smile:

High Lord of Imladris
Khal Drogo 169 (+4)
Daario Daario Naharis 35 (-4)

It's been absolutely fantastic. that said I think it's official now that I've gotten down to the last two aside from Snow, short of me directly minusing points from Snow there is now ay for the Khal to win with the numbers left. So I am willing to cede victory if you would like as there won't be a way to get any closer as both final points on Ellaria and Dario will be a 3 which means the gap won't close any further (a 3 point space between the two). Also it has been fantastic getting to know you further while playing quite fun!

Khazad Elder
And she said: "You know nothing, Joh Snow.". But obviously he did. For he was alive while all others fell.
We have finally come to the end of the Halloween edition of the Elimination Game. Thanks to everyone who played and especially to @Fuin Elda for helping me keep it going and seeing it THROUGH to the very end, almost :grin: . Long live the name of, Khal Drogo!

High Lord of Imladris
Thanks for the wonderful game, I have to admit I didn't overly do the math just knew it would be close and I was right on that front. It was an incredibly close race in the end. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next elimination game!

Éowyn
Éowyn
Woohoo, Khal Drogo lived!
Also; snatched an eggo!
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength