Tales from the Deeps of Time: Third Age Free RP

For Fangorn is old, old even as the Elves would reckon it.
Black Númenórean
Tales from the Deeps of Time:
Third Age Free RP

Bilbo stealing the Arkenstone by daarken on deviantart

Timeline
This thread is for free RPs which take place during the Third Age. For the purposes of the thread, the Third Age is defined as the time beginning with the death of Isildur and ending with departure of the ringbearers into the West. See the Tolkien Gateway’s timeline and article on the Third Age for reference.

Locations
Stories in this thread can be set in any location - canon or otherwise - that existed during the time period specified above. All are welcome to roleplay in canon locations or to invent locations suited to their stories.

Rules
1. All are welcome!
2. Read and enjoy other people’s hard work but respect their privacy (go to the RP Request Form if you would like to join an existing story or start a new story). You can mark your stories as private, open, etc. if you choose
3. Keep any OOC comments to the Fangorn Forever - OOC thread
4. For accessibility reasons, no overly bright colors
5. As stated above, feel free to RP in canon locations from the Third Age or simply make your own
6. Anyone can use any canon characters in their stories, there is no ownership in this thread
7. If you decide your post warrants a content or trigger warning, please place it at the top of the post to help others decide what to read
8. Icons and small images are welcome, but no moving gifs
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Black Númenórean
City of Thieves
Umbar

(Private)

The book’s stiff pages crackled gently as Zôr flicked through them. The light from a nearby candle was reflected and magnified by the large mirror that sat atop her vanity and leaned against the wall. Zôr rested her chin on one hand and leaned intently over the book as she scanned its contents. Black hair framed her focused features, marquise-cut rubies glittering at her ears. For such an important and closely guarded item, that this book had not been well cared-for. In contrast to the fine imported volumes she had admired or even stolen on occasion at the Market, many of its pages were water-stained, the edges of others having been nibbled at by particularly hungry rodents.

Several different hands - some cramped, some flowing, some erratic, some tidy - had inked the pages with notable names and events in the history of Umbar’s minor houses. Many of these histories were only to be found here, in contrast to the greater houses, whose power and notoriety made their stories much easier to find. The lesser families, most allied to one great House or another, had fewer local legends upon which to build their reputations and so someone, generations ago, had taken to documenting their plots and schemes and jealous, clawing bids for power. This unique item with its promise of information had long eluded her, and she had finally tracked it down in the chambers of a man loyal to House Ûrêzadan. She had taken both the book and his life.

As an adolescent, she had believed the explosion on the ship had been an accident. She had learned better several years ago from a political merchant while he enumerated the various shipwrecks from which he'd profited. Zôr had lain next to him in the dark, bored, one arm cast lazily over her forehead. “Then there was the plot to bring ruin upon House Izrêphan,” he had said. "The wreckage from that one was not of particular value, but the explosion was quite a sight.” Suddenly, her whole body had tensed.

“Someone targeted them?” she had whispered, speaking slowly and softly to mask her fervent curiosity. “Why?”

He had been forthcoming but inconclusive all that night, and it was no different with this story. He knew that whispers and shadowy dealings lay behind it, but he could name neither the motive nor the perpetrators. And so she left, disappointed but alight with interest. Izrêphan was her house, her family. She had not heard the name spoken aloud in over a decade; she had not known anyone else to survive, and as memory of the accident faded, so did talk of her family in the city. That night spent with the merchant had impressed upon her that the destruction of her family had been intentional, her survival a fluke.

The candle guttered in a draft from the window. Zôr stood, shuttered it, and returned to her reading. She found nothing of use in the sections devoted to other influential families she did not recognize - Azulzîr, Nûlukhô, Tarîkmagân, and others - many of whose long lineages, dating back to Anadûnê itself, were documented in excruciating detail here. She wondered vaguely how old her house might be. No one had spoken of its origins to her as a child - at least, not that she could remember. Where had the house originated? She could only dream that its roots stretched back across the sea to the great island. And was her family loyal to Balakân, Gimildâur, or Ûrêzadan, or perhaps some other long-defunct center of power in Umbar? Or - an even bolder thought occurred to her now - had the members of House Izrêphan stood on their own, without needing to exchange their loyalty for some patron’s support?

Finally, she found her house. She read hungrily, and amusement spread in her until she shook with silent laughter at the tale of her family’s rise in Umbar. It made sense that this story had been concealed from her as a girl. Now, she saw that she had, for most of her life, unwittingly mimicked her ancestors - albeit on a much smaller scale. They had found power and influence. What had she to show for it?

Her mother was named here as one of the ammîphanî - the great women of the house. Her father was mentioned considerably less, having married into the family. Zôr’s throat tightened at the sight of their names. She rarely let herself miss her parents; the months in the wake of their deaths had been a whirlwind of pure, panicked survival, and the ensuing years had been a model of disciplined compartmentalization. How odd it was that, through this book, she now sensed a connection with them which had been absent for years. She ran a finger over their names. Zimraphêl. Sakalthôr. She could still hear them calling to each other from opposite ends of the house. Laughing. Fighting. Dancing.

“Ammîphanî,” she murmured, feeling the shape of each syllable and the weight the word carried. What made a zîni an-aphan? Allure? Exceptional powers of persuasion? The stature of her bedfellows? Zôr had never heard her mother refer to herself as a zîni an-aphan. As a young girl at the time of the accident, she had only recently become aware of the politics and intrigue surrounding the constantly-striving houses in the city. She realized now that she had known her parents, but only what they had let her see - this book was evidence enough to suggest the hidden depths of their lives.

She learned the names of her ancestors, speaking them aloud into the night, too. She had, for so long, been alone and unmoored. The women’s names in particular were links in a chain going all the way back to Azruzimril, founder of the house. Zôr read on. Azruzimril and her daughters had risen from relative obscurity to become powerful among the many houses of Umbar. And all that power died with my mother, she thought bitterly. She felt the sting of bile at the back of her throat, a physical reminder of rage and sorrow long neglected. Those twin monsters had re-awoken inside her now.

The rest of the book offered nothing to further her search for her family’s killers. A chunk of pages at the back lay empty, no doubt reserved for future tales or in anticipation of new families who would rise to replace or war with the others. Zôrzimril sighed. The thrill of reading about her family was replaced by deflation; she had arrived at a dead end. She stretched her arms over her head, arching her spine over the back of her chair. She really should begin packing her things: lifting this book and all its secrets from its proper place (not to mention leaving behind the bloodied body of its keeper) would have countless eyes looking for her in a matter of days, and so she would need to disappear for a while. When she grabbed the book to snap it shut, a folded piece of parchment fell to the ground. She picked it up, read through it twice in growing surprise, and turned swiftly to pack.

Two hours past midnight, the baker stoked the fires in his ovens, then turned to knead the day’s dough. Sweat beaded on his brow in the heat from the ovens, and soon his shirt was soaked through. At the very least these kitchens were more spacious and airy than his prior location, and the premises themselves were clean and tidy, a far step above the filthy and cramped shop he'd once run in The Warrens.

It had been many years since the girl with dark hair had wordlessly handed him a gold coin, kicking off a long season of prosperity which he could not have foreseen. But that was Zôr’s way: her purse had been full from that day forward, and she had always been as full of surprises as she had been that morning. First, she became a regular customer. Gradually, she began meeting people in the dark alley behind the shop to sell contraband. She felt safe there with him nearby, somehow. Eventually, they came to an agreement in which he took a cut of her profits in exchange for his services as middleman. This final scheme had allowed him and his family (who were as in the dark about his dealings with her as he was about how she came by such fine items) to move here. He would always be grateful that they had escaped the rankness of The Warrens and landed in the vicinity of better-bred families with more coin to spare for fine baked goods.

He was lost in the repetitive motions of his daily routine when he heard a knock. Hands covered in flour, he walked to the bakery’s side door. It was not unlike some of his more insistent (or inebriated) customers to show up before dawn, but this was a soft, furtive knock and not the pounding of drunks in need of food. He wiped his hands on his apron and pulled open the door. Zôr stood close to the doorframe, cloaked and hooded with her usual dagger at her hip. Her bag was slung over her shoulder, and at her feet lay a large bundle.

“Zôrzimril,” he whispered, eyes wide. “What brings you here at this hour?”

“Let me in,” she commanded shortly, and the baker moved aside without question in his surprise. This was unlike her; she was usually content to slip him a parcel, whisper instructions, and walk away. She hoisted up the bundle, stepped inside, and closed the door behind her.

“My darling, I need you to keep these things hidden - you have ample space for that, in large part thanks to me. In a few weeks’ time, it’s likely you will hear that a woman fitting my description has washed up near the docks.” He opened his mouth to question, but she held up a hand and continued. "No questions, and no arguing. Someone will come for my things when the time is right, and you will be paid well for it.”

This was different from any of her past schemes. He knew her tone well enough to simply shut his mouth and nod in silent agreement. Better to get on with baking the day’s bread. She smiled at him, the same smile that had spread across her face the first time she had handed him gold.

“No harm will come to you or your family.”

Gulls wheeled and cried over the docks as the fishermen drew in their nets, heavy with the morning’s catch. Waves lapped gently against the shore, and the rising sun shone weakly through the morning mist. One man paused and shielded his eyes at the sight of a dark shape bumping repeatedly against the docks. He called to his fellows and they hauled the woman’s bloated body up and out of the water. Her face was a ravaged ruin, lips and eyelids peeled back - apparently by the fish - so that her teeth and the hollows where eyes had once been were laid bare. The men would have recoiled had they not caught the glint of rubies in the sun; they would argue loudly over the earrings before giving up the corpse for whatever half-hearted investigation might be launched.

At the same time, Zôr hastened out of the city. The unsent letter in the book had been dated just days before her theft of the tome.

We found it. We found the way into Kadar Schâdo at last. Followed him all the way there. Your lost treasure awaits you, if you are clever enough to find it. Perhaps we’ll tell you the answer to their little puzzle, too. If you pay us well enough.

Someone had lost something - a valuable something, at that. She cared less about the dispossessed owner and more about the treasure. What could it be? And what was this Kadar Schâdo? Or, more accurately, where was it? She’d never heard of such a place in all her life, but its name suggested some connection to Umbar and perhaps even to Anadûnê itself. Could she find both riches and answers there?

The letter had been signed not with a name, but with an inscrutable riddle. Zôr turned it upside down and front to back in her mind, rearranged all the letters and spun herself in circles trying to tease meaning from it. Still, she came up short. The man who could decipher it for her was, unfortunately, dead by her own hand. Luckily for her, the other agents of House Ûrêzadan were easy enough to track.
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Black Númenórean

Sometime in the Third Age.
Choices.
(Private)

Morifinwë.

Please don’t call me that.

The voice paused, seemingly taken aback.

What would you like to be called?

…Carnistir.

Carnistir. It is your time.

My time?

You have waited, and I have watched You came at once when I called to you, and long did you sleep, resting dreamless in these Halls. I did not begrudge your rest, for I knew the life from which you came. And when you did begin to dream, I observed that life through your eyes.

Something seemed to stir in him. But what was there to stir? He was formless, a memory, outside of time and space. He recognized the voice from long ago. Or had it been from tomorrow?

You dreamed of your life, as all must do, and in dreaming both relived and judged yourself, as you were judged. I have seen all, and it is your time.

My time?

He questioned again, and this time it was as though he could hear himself speak, where before both his voice and the other had seemed to simply permeate his formlessness.

My time for what?

It is your time to choose. You have been judged, and found worthy of the choice. You may remain as you are, to sleep and dream until the End. Or, you may return to a hröa.

Images formed now, like hazy outlines through fog; a faint brightness from which came the voice, and the faintest semblance of himself. He blinked. Did he?

Return to a hröa?

Yes. You have the choice to live again as a corporeal being. And within that choice there is another: you may be re-born into a new hröa, or you may return to the hröa of your previous life, re-made.

There must be more than that.

It seemed as if the voice chuckled.

Indeed. If you choose to be re-born, though your hröa will be similar to that in the past, it will not be the same. Nor will you be precisely the same, for though you will retain all knowledge and memory of your previous life, you will be reborn as a child, and not remember all from the beginning. As you grow, you will learn and develop anew, and over time your past will return to you. Such a choice will render you same, but not same.

This was both very confusing and made perfect sense at the same time.

And the other choice?

If you choose to enter your hröa remade, your body will be restored to its condition prior to your first death; you will not live with any wounds. You will enter this body as you are now: you will carry all the knowledge, memory, pain, grief, and all else from your previous life just as it is. You will carry the awareness of your time in the Halls of Awaiting, but it will not dim your awareness of the time before. You have been judged worthy, but no judgement can lift your burdens. If you choose to be remade, any burden will still be yours to carry.

As he considered all this, the light seemed to grow brighter, but not exactly from the exterior place it had before; it seemed that some kind of brightness welled within him. And all at once, a barrage of images appeared before him, like the pages of a book, flipping by at impossible speed; all the snatches of his life displayed. He saw his birth, his youth, the exploits of his younger days; clandestine meetings in Oromë’s woods and hunts under treelight; he saw the storm and the fear and the flight. He saw his father and his brothers, stepping onto a new land.

Are they here? Has their time come?

That, I cannot say. The choice must be yours and yours alone.

The flashes of memory continued, through war and fire and devastation, to a peaceful land beyond the Gelion, to winter revels and flashes of gold and silver laughter and dragonfire and death. To endless nights and dreadful days, and hope and fear, and a dark forest and caves and one last sight before Manwë’s call had drawn his fëa here.

Let me be re-made, he said, as he watched it all flit past, Please, let me be re-made. I will shoulder the burdens, and accept the pain. I have not yet finished with that life. If I have the chance… Let me re-make myself into who I wish I could have been.

It shall be so.

The light expanded in a sudden explosion of brilliance. The images were suddenly no longer before his formless eyes but inside his mind, brighter and more vivid than ever. They seared him with the fire of their reality and his own soundless voice echoed in the liminal chamber that surrounded him. And even as the sights and sounds and smells and pain and fear of all that had come before consumed him, he felt a sensation of flying through the formless and misty halls that had sheltered him. And he himself seemed to expand and contract and expand again, bursting to be free of something both unknowable and confining. Something seemed to jerk and tear at him, and his formlessness arched and writhed; another dazzling blaze, pure white this time, and then everything ceased.

Carnistir trembled. The earth was solid beneath his arms and legs as his body balled in on itself upon the ground. The breeze touched his flesh and caused it to pucker. Some kind of stem or stalk bent beneath him and prickled at his skin. With a thunderous gasp he jerked upright and flailed backwards, falling over into the long grasses. His eyes opened and stung in the light, and he blinked rapidly. Then with another sharp exhalation he clutched at his chest. But there was no wound, no arrow shaft, not even a scar. Next he felt his eye, and found it too unscarred, and has his sight adjusted to the light, that too was fully restored to it. Chest heaving, Carnistir looked up for the first time, and saw before him the bright image of Manwë’s fána, a smile upon his face as he dimmed and faded back into the unseen.

Still struggling to comprehend what had happened, Carnistir forced himself forward onto his knees, and then staggered to his feet. He stood at the top of a hill, a gentle bulk thrusting upward from a great field, waving and sweet with heavy heads of grain, mingled with tall grass and flower. Below the hill some ways away there was an enormous lake, with what appeared to be a small village next to it. Golden dawn light skipped off the water, and Carnistir pivoted on the spot as he realized that he had come to be here just as the sun was rising. The deep blue of night receded, chased by the pink waves and pale-blue tendrils of dawn, and all the land and water and grasses and even himself were touched by warm glow of the coming day. From the village below, he could faintly hear voices calling out, and see small figures emerging and beginning to move his way.

Bathed in the dawn of the first day of all his days to come, arms stretched wide beneath the sun, Carnistir threw back his head and laughed.
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Old Friends, New Friends
Part One - The Approach

Dawn's impatience lifted the dark hem of darkness, inviting the faint blush of a virgin morn to brighten the vast canvas of the sky. All the better to observe the race which grew in definition as each vessel was showered by first light. It had been a long night of pursuit and perseverance, and this last leg was all the more desperate. Still all thought that the outcome was a foregone conclusion might as yet prove premature. The ship was an unimpeded presence, sure, mighty enough to alarm all else about the water. Still the lighter craft had a good start and cavorted at it's lead as though baiting its dogged hunter. One might even imagine that the smaller was in fact the hunter, luring forth a prize that would soon regret giving chase. But unto what trap ?

The Elf gave a keen eye toward the bruise of some unrelenting fog, promising the perfect refuge, and might be something more, within its hazy shroud. It had been some countless years since he had observed such a mist, squatting about a hill as it was, well-pierced by a coat of trees. Much of Hithlum had appeared so, its colossal rises like the reared back of an immense porcupine.

He had come upon Hithlum just the once before by sea. And on that occasion he had thoughts more to what he had left behind than what he'd found. Strange now that the two seemed an unsettled blend. For the new world he had come unto back then, he had likewise departed in time. Hithlum. It seemed now an age, and was in fact more like two. Thoughts forced through the surface of acknowledgement, that he might now sail all the way ... home .... and for a moment it was more than he could manage to ponder upon any thought at all. The bone white of his knuckles cracked hard and stiff and glacial eyes marbled. In such a state he allowed the tide to tow his borrowed schooner as much did his heart loom toward the relentless memory.

Cold and brisk became the very air and he could not deduce quite the true cause of it. Save that he knew, somehow, he was come to a part of his past he had never thought to revisit. A part though he had never desired to forsake in the first. Such things were that deeply now ingrained he could not ever properly escape .. what he was. What he had been. What had made him all he'd become since ...

Matsu leant precarious, a second figurehead that piggybacked upon the snarling oaken jackal. He could not discern the troubled expression of his quarry and, had he, would have certainly awarded it to terror of the pirate ship, the Scourge. The nebulous cloak of the isle was drawing ever nearer, but the Corsair fretted not about the sight. He, unlike the pale elf, had set his sail to this locale before now, with purpose. Under Captain Sarabeth Gameela.

The heir of Halsad stood less convinced than his alluring ally, that the Elves of Tol Noldare could be trusted; his brief introduction to 'Lord' Hatholdir Narroval had done little but raise heckles at that Noldo's arrogance. Still Sara would not be told. She was of a kind that would not be corrected, not by any man.

Until now .. he, Matsu Halsad would be the one to school the sultry slaver. She would not be able to deny him ... the man's jaw broke into the assured celebration of a smile.

Now that he had proof that the Moles were untrustworthy as he had feared. That they were Elves first and foremost, before they were allies. Even though he'd heard the rumours how their kind had turned for the Shadow, turned to saboteurs. The fall of Gondolin, the fall of many, Sara would have Matsu recall was down to the Moles. Still .. the damage done to Tol Sangwa declared their allegiance unstable. The men killed, the temple toppled. Before ever it had come to truly be. And as much as the pirate would have enjoyed to crush the pale elf responsible now atween him and the Mole Isle, it was not a disappointment for him to observe the change of sail.

His prey had discarded with the blue and golden colours of a Lindon lord. The billowing crest of a noble horned horse which had led their merry chase had now been put out to pasture. And as much as this move had caused Matsu to screw up his face for reason (did the elf care to now lose his lead of wind here at the last ?) the emergence of a sure black sail in its place confirmed all of his surest suspicions. Mole. The elf was a Mole, or at the very least ally to them.

What had begun as a horrific discovery and the loss of an entire building crew, now looked to be an unlooked for wonder. The elf, though he maybe knew it not as yet, had just made the pirate's day ... Matsu had his proof. And that smug Mole king would have some explaining to do now !

The watch belonged to Ospiel, as did the slowly crinkled brow that now surveyed the twinned approach. Each of the advancing vessels was friendly to Tol Noldare, neither however toward one another. This was going to require a little delicate handling. To say the least !

The pirate Halsad was not expected, nor Lord Isilhervern. Nor was the elleth's slow fall of jaw when she recognised her error. That was not the notorious noble Elflord come of Lindon, though his navy sail was .. unmistakeable. She forgot nothing. And certainly not an elf whom she had served beside for some hundreds of years.

"Sílûgnir"

The potential for a mix of emotions and motives had just multiplied a thousand times. Unsure whether she was pleased or elsewise horrified, and settling on both at once, the Sinda wound her long hair into a practical knot.

"Captain ?"

She was not the only eyes upon that quarter, though the one all answered to. And she to Hatholdir himself. In all instances she had shown an instinct how to act, and to react. In all instances until now ..

"Captain, we have a body upon the beach,"

The two closest and come for orders now exchanged a glance. They received a fierce glance for their trouble as the Watch regained focus. There would be a good deal more bodies on that beach else ...

"Ready a welcoming committee," she decided.

"Should we not send word to the King ?"

"That we have encountered a problem ? Or that we have resolved one ?
" Ospiel did not award either of her scouts a glance. Her own was transfixed, her tone haunted as much as it was hard. A deep breath rippled through her chest as she was left alone.

After all this time ? And given the 'timely' coordination of both the impending 'guests' ? This arrival was anything but usual.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Old Friends, New Friends
Part 2 – The Body on the Beach

There is not a recognised word for the movement. It was not a run, for he was crouched too low in a half squat to manage any proper speed. It was not a crawl either, for all that he had torn the tall grass apart with his hands to proceed. At times it had neared a scramble, when it had not stalled, in panic, to a panting stop. The Man threw his eyes about him, even as his frantic breathing drowned his thumping heartbeat. There was not a recognised word for the way the young man moved, but Geric could care less. There was, after all, a word well recognised for what he was attempting, howsoever he should go about doing it. That word was escaping. And it would be punishable by .. he knew not what, if he were caught. He had heard the stories. He had seen the abhorrent examples. He had been well warned of what waited any who tried to escape. He had no intention though of being caught.

Common sense had dulled so many others who, in his place, had resigned themselves then to their fate. There were worse things than to live out his life far from all he loved. There were worse custodians than the Moles of Tol Noldarë. They had purchased him from Slavers, spared him from a life at the oar, or worse, in the far fields of Nurn. Still though he was free of hardship, and spared from the horrors of those who despised his race entire, Geric was not free. He was not allowed to go about his day as he so chose. He was not permitted to leave the island. He was kept from any hope of seeing his sweet girl again.

A long and extremely dull life free from all his hopes and dreams did not seem an escape to young Geric. An actual escape though, was paramount to treason. For to leave was to risk the wellbeing of all those resident on the isle. If any were to learn that King Hatholdir was trading, with the pirate corsairs of Umbar ? There would be a rise up on the mainland to oppose this latest affront by the House of Mole. The same folk of Endor as would not allow Maeglin’s folk to live in peace there, would take up with violence against those folks’ own efforts to sustain themselves elseways, elsewheres.

Geric was young, and Geric was in love. Geric would risk life and limb to get home to his sweetheart. He would rather die than spend his life entire away from her side. And die Geric most definitely would. Once the sound of an approaching patrol startled him into a fear most dreadful. He crouched, scuttled, so close to the edge of the cliff that his back was polished by the coastal draught. His eyes were inland though, head low, watching, waiting, for the peril that advanced. He retreated, to avoid the merciless hunt of the Moles. He retreated, he escaped. One foot found no footing and from there it was too late. The young man escaped from all that Tol Noldarë offered him. He escaped through a vacuum of nothing that he might grasp to slow his fall, or stifle his scream. Nothing but the hard floor of the sand below. It did not embrace his intrusion but remained indifferent, marking with a deafened silence as his organs were pierced by the splintered vertebrae, even as his blood escaped the broken ruins of his ripped flesh and his shattered bone. Geric had escaped Tol Noldarë in the only way any was able.

The Mole King would have his way after all. It was life only as Hatholdir dictated here, or no life at all. Geric had escaped and yet proved one more example. Of why others stayed.
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Old Friends, New Friends
Part 3 – The Exchange

ImageImage

Before him lay a smudge, the dark heart of a cloud mayhaps, hoovering about the horizon. Mortal eyes might discern only the mass by the beacons which broke through the gloom. Their blinding alarm enough to surprise sailors, who should turn in time then from the vast wall of rock which veered up, immense. The lighthouses sat all about the trim of the coast. They saw all that encroached. They saw all that departed. They were seen even through the mist, even by the eyes of mortals.

The Elf saw what mere mortals would miss. That the high cliffs of the coast were built as strong as were battlements. There was naught natural about the fierce angle of such an impossible incline. Their stone countenance had been carved so hostile, purposely fashioned to ward off entry, save where the bold architect desired. None could land a boat thereabouts. None could ascend such an unfriendly face of rock. Erfaron toured his small craft about the periphery, marvelling at all the extent which had been employed to control the isle’s defences. Then he came upon what all must, and what would undoubtedly see off the faint of heart. A colossal effigy to the late Prince Maeglin, erected to such a height that his proud, aristocratic features were nigh lost amidst the heavens. His sightless eyes might have been then stars, save that they were the size of small asteroids. Not since the works of his father, which had rendered the Noldor of Aman to their knees, had Sílûgnir stood so humbled. The statue might have been the Dark Prince himself, that his errant servant found a hand about his heart, his knees begging to come to the ground.

The small beach was shrouded in the shadow of it’s stoic guardian. With a pair of wooden piers that ran out like a pair of arms, a welcome. There were boats about this dock, all bedecked in rich black sails, decorated by the device of the bat; of Hatholdir. They flocked close together like a swarm of darkness and keen eyes glanced about each of them, expecting to be assailed by an army as he brought his own to berth. Given what had pursued the Elf, even through the enveloping vapour, it was a wonder that he walked, not ran, unperturbed and down the creaking path. He imagined surely that the corsairs would be rooted by the sight of Maeglin. He imagined never that they not only had managed the safe route, but that they had traversed it before …

He might have expected that the cliffs above the beach would be imposing as were those all about Tol Noldarë. He had assumed there must be some means though of obtaining entry. It was not immediately obvious. The puzzle presented: Erfaron stood in an ambush of a crescent-shaped circle of hard rock, a curtain of pure black cliff, leagues high and topped by a thatch of fir trees. He was unsettled by the sense of a thousand unseen eyes, resting upon him. He was curious, more than concerned, by the bloodied body which sprawled some mere feet away.

Aware that his every decision was here under scrutiny, the Elf sensed a test. He dared closer to the body which was unmistakeably a Human. That was all that he was permitted to discern, afore a spray of arrows planted themselves between him and the already corpse. One immortal hand wished for a weapon, hovered close to where he might retrieve one, before a second downpour of sharp-chiselled death drove him into a darting veer sideways. A third soon after discouraged his aiming too far right and, even as it slowly became apparent, Sílûgnir cursed at his being herded. Somebody beyond his sight, beyond his reach, was toying with him here, and arrows … of all things …. He stood still. He closed his eyes. He dropped to the sand and made to sit where they should have to come to him.

The response was a new sheet of arrows, peppering the shingle in an orbit around the Elf. Dignity deserted him as legs forced him to stand, to stalk the small sandy lawn, direct toward the cliff face. Pale eyes considered the sheer wall of rock before him, pondering if he might be allowed to climb .. He had a one-handed pickaxe which had more advantage than to merely balance out the sword stowed at his other hip. Still, it was more than a little ways upward, and he was out of practice when it came to scaling such heights without a single hold to hope for. In the very moment that he frowned at the gleaming polished obstacle, it fissured and fell away before him.

Ospiel stood flanked by a trio of Moles, indulging in Sílûgnir’s amazement, before she recalled herself and motioned for their guest to enter the darkness of the gaping rock room.

Your sail flies in the face of our law,” The Sinda spoke and her old friend stared, blinked. “There is no bat emblem in it’s midst,” Ospiel continued, “and you are fortunate that we did not shoot you upon sight.

You shot,” he protested, calm in tone as could be managed through clenched teeth. “I am fortunate that your aim remains wanting. Whatever would the Halberdier say ?

You have not changed,” she declared, rolling smokey eyes at his lack of apology, or even denial. “Ever have you imagined that rules do not apply to you.”

I received some invitation,” Erfaron disclosed, coolly confident. “The Lord Hatholdir Narroval is an old friend of ..”

Old friends can not be relied upon after long absence,” the elleth interjected, with an abrupt anger, possibly at his lack of acknowledging their own past alliance. She pushed past the unexpected arrival and cast a cursory glance about the beach, and to where an Umbarian ship was bearing down upon the slender dock. “You for one have seemingly been busy, gathering ‘new’ ‘friends.’

Likewise ..” her former comrade might have bade her to observe, seeing as he had been taken unawares of her very survival, let alone her alliance with the Moles. But the cliff and all beyond had already closed up behind him. Ospiel was gone as though as she’d never been at all, and the entire chamber commenced to rise. The well-oiled mechanism was so sleek, it’s purpose in entering the island was so masterful, Erfaron forgot the ways of speech. Torn between impressed and outright astounded, he allowed the two remaining Moles to enjoy the ascension without any of the questions they may look to expect of him. At least one of their number seemed disappointed, and glanced at the newcomer repeatedly, as though he might prompt some exclamation. But ..

He can hardly believe that you’re here,” the other of the Island’s Guard translated. “After all this time …

Deeming it was best to leave them hanging on his every non-word, the guest held his tongue, held his cold eyes forward, and absorbed all that he could of quite how things were done here. It had indeed been a long time since he had known any dealings with their kind. He had chosen safeguarding Nariel, over returning to their roost, and met only with Hatholdir, his close kin or escort, when those had chanced an encounter in Lindon or Imladris. This was, evidently, the first time that he had ever been to the island. He was not afraid though. He knew Hatholdir. He knew how the Noldo worked. Almost as well as he knew Ospiel ...

Such a strategic defence this island may boast,” he muttered but, before either of his hosts might think that he was complimenting their home, the stranger sighed heavily, "and she thinks it best to take advantage of not one by plunging forth, to face .. corsairs .." As though angered, he stepped forward, for all the good that it did him. Howsoever they had opened or closed the stone door down at the cliff’s base, there was no sign of a similar crevice emerging as the elevated floor carried the three of them aloft. It had taken him a week to work out how they worked the stone gate of Gondolin. How long might it take to figure this contraption ? He knew not as yet how lengthy this vacation could be.
The two Moles made a deliberate effort to ignore their guest in the awkward silence that ensued. It was moments later when they came to a standstill, the room of them, the room itself. They had come to the top of the cliff, raised up on a pulley system deep within a vaulted shaft. The plan bore all the trappings of a mining colony. Which was only fitting.

There is a carriage awaiting to take you to the Narroval residence,” this time the prompt was expressed aloud by the Mole sentry, and indeed his invitation was proven quite true at the top of a small set of stone stairs. Sílûgnir moved toward the edge of the cliff, with thoughts to spy on what occurred below, when he was startled at the dizzying height of their post. Memory vomited the vision of that ruined young man, broken on the sand, and it was all too sudden, very clear how that had happened.

You will come this way please,” came a second, more instructive cue point.

There is no need to insist that you denounce all weapons on your person,” the more smug of the small entourage made known at that point. “You are in the realm of King Hatholdir Narroval now. And you might have heard, his bodyguards are the best that money can buy.

Recollection of quite whom might stand those bodyguards, lured the Elf safe from his precipice, and a smile ghosted about the corner of thin lips. Hrango. Herontortha. Idrisaith. Astaro. It took another moment for him to recall that he should be relaxing. Of all places in the world, he was in no peril here. A Mole. This was sanctuary for all Moles. Still … the corsairs .. He still could not contemplate why Ospiel had dared to face their filth in person. Or indeed at all. Better to shoot the filth through with arrows though might be they had used up their entire supply this morning. Somehow he doubted it.

She knows what she is doing,” the younger Mole guard offered his guest some final encouragement to ease his departure. It was not a passing comment, but an account, from experience. Sílûgnir frowned that he had given mind to a one so swiftly, who until less than an hour earlier, he had not given thought to. For the longest time. Quite however Ospiel had survived when all Hithlum had been usurped by their foes, she had surely enough about her to match a few irate mere mortals. The austere welcome that even Erfaron had received on the beach nailed home his resolve. Still, he did not allow them to hasten him toward his assigned seat, and could not help wondering, quite how she intended to manage Matsu Halsad ..

ImageImage

The corsair vaulted like a spring into the sheen of water. It was more than his patience could stand to walk down the gangplank which served these Elves for a pier spit. Much less to walk the same length again down the adjacent pier, to reach the mere pair of Elves. Even as he heaved his form, dripping still with water off a brace of muscles, to stand in reach, the Umbarian was numbed then. For the sight before him and the two Elves standing, utterly unaffected by his unhappy presence.

I demand ..” the corsair commenced with a wind of entitlement, which was swept from him by a swing of a strong fist. The Mole sentry shook his fingers out then afterwards, as though regretting the motion. Beside him, Ospiel nodded her approval but caught her comrade by glance so that no further rebuke was ordered.

The agreement clearly states that all dealings between our respective peoples should occur offshore,” the Sinda recited, with chilling clarity. “You are trespassing,” she warned Matsu.
By now his lesser so impatient crew of miscreants had begun to assemble along the long pier they’d walked up.

You want to talk about trespassing ?!” the son of Halsad squawked, enraged by the maiden’s audacity. He would have further complained of her treatment toward such a one as he, but that she spoke the truth, and at least none of his own folk had been close enough to see the blow administered. “You want to explain to me why one of your own has dared to …

He was not one of ours,” the elleth mentioned, checking her fingernails with a small sigh.

Are your mortal eyes so dim that you can not see the sail ?” followed up her consort, with a slight snort of amusement. He watched as the Corsair prepared to erupt, met Ospiel’s eye, and flicked down his gaze, for fear of losing his straight face.

The sail ?!!” Matsu seethed, venomously, tangling his brawny arms together in a cross, that he might properly express his temper without fears of insulting his host. A second time. His mortal eyes were not so dim that they had missed the contents of Mole boats who were slowly filtering out into some substantial number. More than one of the Corsairs glanced wistfully back toward their ship, which they were not cut off, save by the small span of sea, from reaching. “You have set the sail to flame ! You have set the frigging boat to flame !!” he shook his head, in some disbelief.

The sail was black,” piped up one of the bolder pirates, seeking to prove helpful, in the face of arsonist Elves. He had heard how they had set whole hosts of ships to flame out of sheer spite, if the rumours were true. It was fortunate that they had had the foresight to untie and launch the Elf’s boat some small way from the rest of the dock, or a similar such blaze may have licked their pursuit all the way back to the beach. “I saw it so,” the self same sailor now shrank like a concertina under his Captain’s withering glare. No further word came from any of the Men, and Ospiel sighed, as she turned from watching the boat swallowed by the sea. Smoke hissed from where the greed of the deep extinguished the bite and snap of the fire.

The sail was black,” the Sinda agreed, returning to her narrative. She enunciated each syllable carefully. Not because she was unused to conversing with Mortals. Rather more because it seemed that Matsu might once again disagree. Out of habit, if not principle. “There was no emblem of a bat, it was not one of ours. He ..” she ducked her head in a gesture toward the slowly drowning deck, toward the now horribly burned figure of some body hard bound to the mast, “was not one of ours,” she explained, patiently, patronising of the Mortal. “Whatever your issue with the intruder, it has been resolved. No thanks are necessary. But do go. Depart.

Every which Mole who had slunk out of their so many crafts, raised an axe in one hand, a grin on a sea of faces.

Let this serve as warning of what comes to those who dare upon our home uninvited,Ospiel fixed her attention on Matsu alone. Clear it was that all others come from their craft followed at his example. “He is dead,” she flicked an eye toward the charred corpse of the mortal, Geric, as it sank from view and all threat of proper identity, “whoever he was,” she raised her chin and one arm to point out Matsu alone. “And you … You shall be fortunate not to share a like fate, when I inform my King Hatholdir of your crude and unjust accusations. One. Two. Do not let me reach so high as ten as find you yet within reach .. Three …”

Unaware that the elleth had abandoned her count, the impulsive Corsair and his crew scuttled back aboard their vessel, shivering the lot of them, despite the recent blaze. For not a one had been permitted passage along the long pier, but through the frigid water that severed the two wooden piers like a river. Not a word was uttered as they heaved a swift departure from the obvious cruelty of Mole Elves. Thanking their lucky stars. It would be less than an hour before Matsu held a toast to his own intelligence, in chasing their quarry unto the path of the Moles, and having the Elves take care of the trouble for him. The fact that they had escaped Tol Noldare with their lives intact was enough for the rest of the Corsair crew to celebrate with their swaggering Captain.

Ospiel waited until the boat that Erfaron had brought there disappeared unto the depths. Some folk might have cursed the timing of the dead man on the beach. The Sinda was not one of those folk. Rather the corpse had proven quite useful. Whatever grudge the Corsairs held against her old friend, they now believed that Elf dead. The Watch Captain held out one arm and gave up a whistle to the wind, summoning a gull from the aloft. Soft words spoken relayed then the message that she would have the devoted bird rush to her Commander, her King.

Her challenge completed, she would have Hatholdir know of all that had occurred this morn. Good news was always appreciated, after all. The thrilling turn of bad news into good news, .. now that was something even more satisfying.

Old Friends, New Friends
Part 4 - The Flashback

Ospiel Iuliel
- Remembering the First Age, in the Third Age.
Descending the mountain pass - in dire straits
Ered Wethrin - After the Fall of Gondolin - circa 521 FA
Meeting the Moles !

The lasso was pulled tight, pinning her arms at the elbow. The Sinda sucked in air with surprise. And some small pain. The rope was not just so, for the orcs had embedded cruel devices into the knotwork. Barbs and hooks and such that sank their bite into her skin. As the remains of the group towed her now off balance, breath escaped the Elleth in ragged breaths. All that she might focus on was to keep a hold of her bow. She held on. A further rope was slung over her head, that hauled her to the ground. This one was rope alone but as it tightened on her throat that was more than enough. She found her knees on the grassy knoll. Hold on, she told herself. Do not let go your bow. Fingers closed around the shattered wood their swords had already sheared into twain.

"You can drop that toad sticker now she-elf. It won't help you."

It had not been much help, admittedly, not since their foul flesh had called for the last of her arrows. But she had little, and was loath to give aught of what she had left. They would not even have her death, much less her surrender. If she could somehow devise how to halt all their efforts.

A coarse spider of fat fingers cupped her throat from behind and drove her face first into the ground. Still she held onto the fractured bow. Her own bruised fingers were prised one by one from their grip, as though they were slender twigs that snapped easily in strong fists. Ospiel cursed through the discomfort and held on, to her breath also, and the last dregs of her freedom. Rearing her head up from the path unsteadily, she whirled eyes about the scene, as it evolved to utter anarchy.

A clutch of black-clad elves had sprung out of the night. They bore axes and swords and their eyes shone like naked stars unmasked by cloud. Their leader strode up effortlessly in their wake, in his own time; hair like pitch and a face of some unexplained amusement. He coolly regarded the work of his patrol, who had made such short work of the orcs.

"Nine Orcfilth dead," the boldest of his company reported, spitting blood to the ground in distaste for the injury it denoted. And a single tooth. "We took this of them ..." The Sinda shot him such a withering glance as she found her feet, that he backstepped before recalling himself. His nearest neighbour guffawed.

"Four were already robbed of their lives when we arrived," another of their number admitted, honestly, for consideration. Two other Elves cautiously unravelled the bonds about the Elleth. Ever more warily as the meaning of this last dawned upon them. Still, she was Elf, and even were she of the type to want them dead, they outnumbered her. More than one of them regarded her ruined weapon in such wonder and contempt, but she held to it only more so.

"You wear the garb of Fingon" she was informed, of their knowledge of her alignment. She was yet oblivious of theirs, though noted the relief this observation seemed to shudder through their line.

"I am Ospiel, of Hithlum," she shrugged, recovering her voice with the required pride of such a claim. "Charged by the High king to hold to defence of his realm when he rode out to war." There was no need to relate the death of Fingon. All knew. His Enemy had made a celebration of the murder and woe had infected the region in the wake of their King's loss. There had been a successor High King of the Noldor, come and gone after him since then though the Sinda had seen/known this not. As far as she was aware, there were no longer Noldor in Hithlum, nor even Sindar that she had seen, besides herself. Still, she knew her homeland better than the Easterlings who had just lately occupied it, and they had never found her.

"The enemy rode at our borders in droves and on such a storm of riotous victory that we could not halt them. Our allies, they told us, had scattered and been all annihilated," the elleth considered her benefactors, still struck by some awe. All the surviving Elves in Hithlum had been herded off to Angband, so that to have eyes fall on her kind again … seemed strange and suspicious. "That was now some thirty years since," she shrugged, carelessly, and yet in continuation of that movement, stepped up to the tallest of her saviours. "So who are you that came here unlooked for and with such timely intervention ?"

She scrutinised their dark uniforms again. They were as well worn as her own. Clearly living in the wild. Wherever their home had been, she guessed it had been taken from them. Such was the fate of all since the battle of unnumbered tears. Loneliness had been her only friend since efforts to assist the Mortals of Dor-Lomin had met with .. well, disaster was the only fair description. But how could she have known that to rob foods and medicines of the Easterlings to feed their slaves .. would be blamed upon those same slaves ? They had been executed for deeds they had not dared, and she ought not to have dared either. That one duty she might have obliged her friends, denied her, there had been naught to stay for. Save to watch the realm wrought to a malice one lone she-elf could not have contested. Alone .. Doriath had been her intention, if that far-off legend had managed to persist when all other kingdoms of Elvendom were toppled. She did not know, could not have known, that it too had fallen. And she had been reliably informed that Gondolin was so well hid, even Elves as searched a hundred years could not discover it's secret sanctuary.

"We are for Lord Hatholdir Narroval, heir and leader of the House of Mole," they chanted, drawing thoughts to be replaced, by some bewilderment. The Sinda blinked, having never heard of such a contingent, ever.

"King," corrected another, prudently, of his fellows. "He is king now of the moles," the taller gaunt Elf put in, self--important. "Successor of Maeglin, who was nephew to late Fingon, son of his sister the late lady Aredhel."

At this last, the elleth found her eyes widen in shock. That the Lady Aredhel was took from the world, as had been her brother, the High King. But Aredhel had been safely in Gondolin, with Turgon ! Their speech was heavily Sindarised though with a touch of something more culturally unique: supporting their claim.

"I did not think the elves of Gondolin came ever abroad from their hidden home .." Ospiel fought the urge to massage her injuries. It would mean letting hold of her bow. "Has King Turgon relieved his vow ?"

A wave of incredulity passed through the small group, as to which rock this Elleth had been hid under for the … last thirty years ??

"Gondolin is now no more, no more than our late king Turgon," the blow bore through her like a hammer, Ospiel took an involuntary step backwards herself now. The elves clad in midnight were grim as they gave up their news; and relaxed no more than did the elleth.

"The Royal line of Fingolfin is spent, " they clarified. "The Kings daughter Idril stolen by a gluttonous mortal. We are all that has survived the wreckage of our ruin."

They had not made mention of Gil-Galad, she noted, and for that then, did not raise words of it herself. For either fear of hearing tale of the young Prince's demise as well, or that his having been sent south had truly secured his life. It was her duty for the last, not to endanger his existence. "Doriath ?" she dared to question of her ever vain hope. A resounding shake of heads cut through her.

"I fear that I am all of the Eldar in Hithlum left, that was took not to Angband," she warned them of her talent for survival. "The mortals of Dor-Lomin are enslaved by cruel men from the east. I have but my bow," Ospiel sought the eyes of the unexpected patrol, each in turn, and delivered her own undulating stare. "None has ever took it from my grasp, though countless have tried. So I would ask of your intention, and give you due warning. That if you do mean me harm, you shall meet the same fate as did all those eager to see me to languish in their loathsome mines .."

Why they found the threat quite so entertaining, she could not imagine. But .. "Would you be comforted any," the tall Mole lowered his face as he vanquished the small space between them, hands raised, disarmingly, "to learn that at least one other Elf, draped in the tatters of Hithlum's uniform, came to embrace our own before this day ? Not all who followed your High King shared his fate."

It at least bred curiosity enough for the Sinda to come willing, and meet with this Hatholdir figure.

⭐
Last edited by Ercassie on Tue May 30, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuor...seized Maeglin...and flung him far out. Great was the fall of his body, and it smote Amon Gwareth three times ere it pitched in the midmost of the flames; and the name of Maeglin has gone out in shame from among Eldar and Noldoli.
Then the warriors of the Mole being more numerous than those few of the Wing, and loyal to their lord, came at Tuor, and there were great blows but.. they were smitten and driven to fly into what dark holes they might, or flung from the walls.
"

- excerpt from ‘The Fall of Gondolin’ by JRR Tolkien

Old Friends, New Friends
Part 5 – The courtesies observed on entry

The ostentatious carriage veered so slow about it’s path that he might have enjoyed much of the sights afforded from it’s window. But the fact of either window refusing to open, and the fact of both the doors being determinedly locked shut, from the outside, was a stark reminder of where exactly he stood. Where he sat. This was indeed Mole country. They wanted him to stay exactly where they put him, and see only what they showed to him. Which meant the scenic journey, while beautiful, was most likely a purposeful delay, that they might ready all that was being prepared at his destination. He was no doubt racing the messengers to meet his host, and at a distinct disadvantage.

Given then the option of either knowingly complying or else noisily complaining, to none within earshot, Erfaron sat back in his overly comfortable, cushioned seat and commenced with silently stockpiling his frustrations. For when he could unleash them more effectively. If his peers did not anticipate that, then they knew him not at all. But of course they knew him all too well. And so it was Herontortha* who eventually released Sílûgnir from his mode of transport. With all of the grace that the Noldo might take receipt of a delivered package which he was not sure he wanted in his halls.

These were, though, not the halls of Herontortha*. And Erfaron could not help but respect Hatholdir*’s cunning. That he should not be here to meet an errant friend in person, and face the inevitable insults at the outset. That was better left to their most practiced in dismissing them.

Herontortha*, Minister of Safety and Security, was the tallest and perhaps the most tiresome of all the Late Prince’s inner Council. This last though was a hard won title, given the mass of highly deserving contenders. Faced with such a reception committee, Erfaron toyed with the notion of refusing to depart from his ride at all. Perhaps presuming this should be the case, his ‘welcome’ climbed right on into the carriage, and took a pew on the empty seat opposite his guest. The fair Elf’s limbs folded into massively awkward looking angles, as though he were an enormous grasshopper.

You are come to Mindon Nârroval*, home of the King on Tol Noldarë*,” the tall Elf crossed his arms, leaned back and narrowed his steady blue eyes. “There is some blood on you,” he observed, in a less impressed tone, as though he now were chastising a child.

There is blood on all of our name,Erfaron did not seem as though this troubled him any. It was not the first time either that the Minister had met him with such a remark. “Fret not,” he amused himself by meeting the Noldo’s gaze. “It is not mine own,” he promised. And if his old friend looked relieved, it was rather more that he might else have been expected to express concern. Concern was not, by habit, a trait of their kind. Neither was tolerance. And having waited until Herontortha* had settled himself, finally, in a seat, Erfaron vacated the carriage without him.

I have come a long way and left my patience far behind me; so would see your King,” he declared, crossing his own arms in answer to the guards who barred his path with a brace of kissing halberds.

Hatholdir* is King to all within Tol Noldarë*,” the Elder was forced to pursue his guest, though to his credit Herontortha* did so with as much grace as he might muster. “Which includes you, for so long as you remain here,” he added, towering over the younger, with a challenge in every inch of his long face. “You would do well to recall that,” he gave the warning but once, deeming that it ought to be enough.

Mine is a matter of great urgency,” the younger Mole enunciated though, ignoring him. “And I should not wish to cause his Majesty to be forced to wait,” somehow Erfaron completed the royal reference without succombing to sarcasm. “He is expecting me,” he knew, and threw a glance back over one shoulder to enjoy the other forced to confirm it.

He has been awaiting your arrival here now for some five thousand years !Herontortha* shot back, failing to stop the smug from smearing over his expression. “Rare does he extend an invitation and rarer again since it has been spurned thus far. You must forgive His Majesty if he does not drop the duties of organising the entire kingdom, just because you have finally decided to drop by upon a whim.

If he truly be so busy,” the reply was slow, almost unsure, and designed to disarm, before Silugnir sighed, “I shall contend with the matter myself then. I do not require to extend him the courtesy, save from it being about his jurisdiction.” One eyebrow rose, and a small smile recognised reluctance in the haughty obstacle at hand. Erfaron then made motion toward following the already departing carriage, as though there was an option of now walking all the way back he had just come. "I am certain he shall not think any lesser of you, Herontortha*, for being the reason I do not return .. for another five thousand years .."

You will follow me,” the councillor decreed though he was forced to turn his face as he did so, and the two Mole Guards unhitched their lattice of polearms, instantly, to allow entrance to the massive studded door behind them. Erfaron stifled his satisfaction before he slowly turned back to meet the taller Elf anew. “We shall though see you changed,” he was bidden however, “before you are admitted to attend upon him.Herontortha’s eyes travelled with meaning to settle upon the unsightly state of Sílûgnir’s garb. Then before he might think better of his decision, the taller Mole led the way into the ostentatious outpost. The mighty palace of the now King Hatholdir Nârroval*; self-proclaimed heir of Maeglin who was named by his devout as Angharyon, the late/murdered Prince of ancient Gondolin.

* (The Characters of Hatholdir Narroval and also Herontortha, were created by another plaza writer/not myself. They are used in this story with the writer's permission/approval as to their brief involvement.)