4th Nuplaza Art Competition: Vote Please

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.

Vote, please!

Poll ended at Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:47 pm

Aikári Salmarinian
38%
Chrysophylax Dives
63%

Total votes: 8

Khazad Elder
The Book of Lost Tales - Volume 1, The Theft Of Melko

Welcome to the 4th Nuplaza Art Competition
The theme for this competition will be, The Written Word (and numerals).
The challenge is to create the written word using any technique (i.e. Calligraphy/Signage/Typeface) in any art form.
Here is an example using a photograph, the number 3 - I was making bread, which is what the melted butter transformed into when poured on the yeast.

As there may not be enough entries from each category, we can choose from them all and find one winner from all the entries!
Everyone will get to vote! A poll will be created once we reach the deadline, and you can vote on your favourite entry! Even you own!

Deadline August 31
Rules:
Your entry must be Tolkien related.
Two entries per person. You can post in as many categories as you choose, but only two will be official entries.
It can be anything you consider art as long as you make it, drawings, photos, poems, short stories, and so on.
It HAS to be YOUR work, no thieving folks!
Post your contribution in this thread. Please make a note that it is an entry!
Feel free to ask questions, comment, praise, and admire everything posted herein.

Thank you to @Lirimaer for suggesting the theme. I do hope I have interpreted your idea correctly. :grin:

Let the creativity begin! Enjoy!
Last edited by Drifa on Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

New Soul
Drifa and Lirimaer: What are you really after with this challenge? We could write our own Songs of Light or whatever interpretation can be derived from the theft of Melkor. I have to read that chapter again from the book of Lost Tales though and that has been a while. Ingwë's people are great source for inspiration on the Songs of Making. :tongue:
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Khazad Elder
Welcome to the 4th Nuplaza Art Competition
The theme for this competition will be, The Written Word (numeral).
The challenge is to create the written word using any technique (i.e. Calligraphy/Signage/Typeface) in any art form.
Aikári - The banner/quote I used is not the theme but an example: The Written Word (numeral) is the theme and must be Tolkien related.

Is anyone else having trouble understanding the theme? :smile:

New Soul
Drifa: Numerals? I have no idea or a clue what you can do with plain numerals and make something artlike out of this, then to count with numbers in the mathematical sense how they are. Sorry count me out of it, due to lack of inspiration/understanding around numerals. :shrug: There pops nothing up in my head. But if others can be inspired, I wish them pleasure with their creations. :thumbs:
Last edited by Aikári Salmarinian on Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire of The Mark
I am also confused. How can the written word be numerals? This doesn't make sense. In your example, there is no written word there, just the number 3.
And whither then? I cannot say...

Warrior of Imladris
When I suggested 'The Written Word' as a theme, I was thinking that people could create something with calligraphy, or take photos of beautiful Tolkienesque writing or signs they've seen/made. People could decorate their poetry a la the ancient scribes, or make a notice/poster advertising something, or create a plaque with a favourite quote. Folk might like to create an extract from Pippin's diary, Legolas and Gimli's latest challenge results, a discarded page from the Red Book of Middlemarch, one of Sam's hopeless love letters to Rosie ... or even Arwen gazing into the distance with an ignored dream journal at her side.

It was meant to be a rather broad suggestion that had to include at least a little bit of writing. :confused:
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

New Soul
Lirimaer: I see, but I am afraid that all you have in thought are quite beyond my field of creation. Calligraphy tools I don't have and make decoration like ancient scribes is too farfetched for me able to do. It would suit true artists the best I think. But I am not one and won't like to pretend to be one. Visionary those are very nice ideas. But for me beyond my skills to create. :shrug:
Last edited by Aikári Salmarinian on Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khazad Elder
Thanks for the explanation, Lirimaer. I understood that and added numbers/numerals to show an example with a photo.

@Melahny_oftheWoods - I know most numerals are the written word when spelled out, but I slightly bent the written word rule. :smile: I edited and numerals in the opening post.

I also thought that the written word could be created with any art form, for example, photography, drawing, writing, poetry, etc. :thumbs:

It isn't that complicated, as Lirimaer pointed out! Give it a try!

Warrior of Imladris
Drifa x - Ah well, let's look forward to some out-of-the-box inclusions to this one! haha

Aikari, I don't think you need to actually DO art if that's not your thing and you don't have the resources ... you love writing, it could be a natural fit for your wordsmith self to make something beautiful! A picture may paint a thousand words, so the saying goes, but a thousand words may paint a rich and living tapestry of far more worth. <3
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

New Soul
Lirimaer: I don't have to do art? I understood that was required. But who is my Wordsmith?

Yeah I kind of love writing.I wrote last year on Wolf who visited a reading about elves in fairytales of Prof. Tolkien in St.Andrews Scotland on 8 March 1939. I'll see what I could come up with. Tolkien related can be anything really, I think (except what is not propriated). :smile:

An attempt: Search for an Absolution

Khazad Elder
Thanks for the entry, Aiks!

I had a go at cursive writing, which I had never excelled at and hadn't used in many years. It is wild how one forgets how the tails go or how to make capital letters. Hopefully, it does not become a lost art with all the technology we have today.

Here is the first verse of The Song Of Durin. I used a frame effect to give it a little pizazz. :grin:

There is lots of time to get an entry in! Don't be shy! :wink:

New Soul
Drifa: Nice is your creation! I taught myself around sixteen to write like that righthanded and have done ever since. Lefthand writing I do barely anymore. I have no idea if it becomes a relic skill in the future. But that writes easier and more relaxed than loose fonts. Did you feel frustration and afterwards joy that you could again? I have upcoming challenges too, but look forward with joy strangely. :)

Esquire of The Mark
Wow that's lovely handwriting! I always write in cursive by default when writing by hand but mine.... is not so neat. :lol: I always used cursive because I write poetry and often like to write my first drafts by hand, but I write it fast and messy! I think I never got the hang of writing straight on the line like you do so well Drifa. Also, I am left handed too Aiks--how on earth did you manage to write with your right hand? Or were you always ambidextrous? My right hand is useless at such tasks.

New Soul
Melahny: How on earth? :lol: With a lot of stubborness when I was sixteen years of age. My right hand - head coordination were at first terrible, but I thought it would come in handy, if I would have an injury on my left arm. And on occasions, aye, it is a surplus I canhandle righthanded. Left can be cramped nowadays. Perhaps I was always ambidextrous, but my main preference is still left. It depends on the activity what hand comes in handy. But mousing I do always righthanded, I can't left. It confuses my brain. It takes lot of willpower to accomplish, and the acceptance of disappointment with the many failures at first.It is just as you learned writing in first grade of elementary school. That was awkward too.
:pie:

Esquire of The Mark
Wow that is cool! I tried to write with my right hand at different times and it is no good. Hahaha... not legible at all. I use the mouse right handed too, I think it's how we were taught in school.

Khazad Elder
Thanks, guys! We are in the deadline month. There is still time to get an entry in. It isn't that hard. Here is an example. I did this a while back, I believe, in a game thread right when the NuPlaza was a, uh, new plaza. :smile:
I think it would fall under the signage part of the theme.

This warms my old dwarven heart! :lol:

Come on, give the theme a try! :heart:

New Soul
Heya, my second submission that elaborates on a piece I wrote for an earlier competition: On St. Andrew University Scotland, 08-03-1939, when Prof. Tolkien hold his actual speech on Fairytales. The new short tale though 7000 words displayes over four days between 31-08-1939 to 03-09-1939. I posted it five sections. You may read it from the post of Dependent, Fate of Europe. In the tale are some small hints to the earlier speech at the university.

Khazad Elder
Thanks for the submission, Aikári! :headbang:

One more week to go. The deadline is August 31st. Pop in and give the theme a try. Don't be shy. :grin:

Here is an attempt at the written word—a poem regarding a sturdy young hobbit, burglary, mushrooms, madness, and so forth. :wink:

The Tolling Of The Bell Morel Bell
One day, in the year of the Cat
Came a time remembered well
When a young, sturdy hobbit
of Fallowhide descent
Heard the tolling of the Bell Morel bell
One day in the year of the Cat
When the bell began to ring
It meant the time had come for another to go
To the tower room of Mad Adamanta
the doyenne, the queen of mushroom art ism;
There, in the middle of the circle
In the room that once had been locked, he stands
Searching, seeking, and with just one
touch of his trembling hand
revealing a treasurer, he finds
Daylight waits while the whiskey Jack sings
a lament to all fungivors with wings
And then, like the rush of a thousand fallen Maia
The sun hides; one ray only shines upon a forgotten design
And the madness had just begun
When a young, sturdy hobbit
of Fallowhide descent
One day in the year of the Cat
When the bell began to sing
It meant the time had come for another to go
To the tower of the mad fungi-sketching queen
There, in the middle of the circle, he stands
Seeing, feeling and with just a wave of his strong right hand,
He steals the drawing and
He's gone from the tower,
far from the circle to the edge of the world
He's hoping, wondering
Thinking back on the stories he's heard,
of Bilbo and Frodo and Sam, the cook,
of burglary, sneaking, taters and chips;
of what he's going to see on the edge
and with the picture stolen, he fled
And there, in the middle of a new circle, he exclaims,
'Adamanta Chubb!'
And he could see by the greedy light in his eyes
An escape he could take
In the new circle stood a hobbit hole,
stairless and level with the ground
Grinning, feeling
With just one touch of a solid right hand,
pushed 'in through the window and out through the door.'
Slipping away, never to be seen anymore
When a young, sturdy hobbit of Fallowhide descent
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Guardian of the Golden Wood
Lirimaer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:48 pm Drifa x - Ah well, let's look forward to some out-of-the-box inclusions to this one! haha
So, my entry. It is the original art work. A later copy that fell in a puddle was later mistaken for the original (its history is discussed in another thread). The picture accompanies a poem about Hobbit burglary (original artist and illustrator, anonymous).

In through the window, then out through the door,
Turned from the inside, a Chubb aint so secure.

Unfortunately, the original poem was composed in moon letter runes, which cannot be reproduced here.
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Khazad Elder
Yay, I think (views the Arkenstone dubiously)? Thank you @Chrysophylax Dives for your entry.

I will set up a voting poll shortly! Hats off to the entrants!
This Competition Is Now Closed

Khazad Elder
Voting is now open. Please vote! Thanks! :headbang:

Khazad Elder
The results show that we have a fantastic winner and a super runner-up!

:dance:
Congratulations, @Chrysophylax Dives ! And hats off to you, Aikári! Thank you for participating! I enjoyed your entries! :clap:

Chrysophylax, as the winner of this competition, you are welcome to select a new Middle-eath related theme for the next Cottage competition. I look forward to your ideas. Thanks!

Erm, can i just say that I am shocked that a 1977 album cover rip-off wins me my first plaza competition, while my Boffin story - which was blood and sweat and tears on paper - did not! Aiks, in my opinion you were swindled.

That said, i am very happy to have some input into the next competition. You might have to explain a little on how things work, Drifa. Also, and please don't take this wrong, but do you think i could copy-edit the phrasing of the next competition before it goes live?

New Soul
Chrys: For what reason do you think I was swindled? And still congrats on winning the contest. Good luck on the inspiration for the new subject for contest 5. :thumbs:

Aiks, i was suggesting that your entry should have won.
But it a kind of obligatory reference to my original material (the album cover) for which i would be happy to supply a youtube link, but suspect it is not your cup of tea. let me know.
thanks on the good wishes for inspiration. What is the deal here? i just have to come up with a word or phrase, and then drifa will put it into riddle-terms to confuse everyone?
Some brief explanation from someone would be appreciated.

Khazad Elder
Here is the deal, Monsieur Dragon. You pick a theme for the next round of inspiration. It can be seen as flatbread, spiders, holes, rings, etc. Or it can be an occasion: Bilbo's birthday, a season, Autumn, etc.

You may then open a new thread for the 5th NuPlaza Art Competition. And yes, you may copy-paste the opening post (rules, etc.) and adjust it to the present theme. If you choose a theme but do not wish to open a new thread (I hope you do, :smile: ), that is fine, too. I have been running the competition with a 3-month deadline because of the 'laid-back' spirit of the plaza of late. It seems to work well.

New Soul
Chrys: Aya, okay, I understand. You have a Tube link? I can't say if it is my cup of tea or not, let's share and hear it, not? :tongue: And if I don't really like it, I can always admire it for the effort you took in the creation of that vid? As the Jedi say, there is no ignorance, there is knowledge. :nod:

Aiks, you impress me! This is all a very long time ago now, but once in the UK it caused a stir and it made a big impression on me when i was young (punk was for me an intermediary stage between Lord of the Rings and a girlfriend). The Pistols had a big thing about the music industry being a swindle and claimed that they swindled the industry, and after they broke up released a movie (which i never saw) called The Greak Rock and Roll Swindle, on which here is a TV news report from the day.

All hail the new @dmins! But in this little corner of the plaza i have seized a sliver of power for myself - rightly held, for i won my first plaza competition and now, as we await the next competition, i have the mic in my hand and intend to use it. Here, encouraged by the curioisity of Aiks, and for your general pleasure and edification, and what i never thought i would be doing in a million years: a short autobiographical note with digressions for all you plaza folk.

Its Punk Innit!

So, here is the 'Never mind the Dwarves...' as i must first have heard it (give it 5 seconds or so and listen to the intro to the song). this band is named Conflict and my 15-year-old-self was watching them at the Brixton Academy. but wait...

i step back in time a couple of years to three friends in a big argument on the school playground. later, all 3 of us got dragon tattoos and then fell out over the same (amazing) psychiatric nurse from new zealand. i have since picked up again with one, but one does not talk to either of us to this day, and he was the ring-leader and we were arguing about D&D vs. LotR (i must underline that i have since discovered that we were not playing real D&D but some weird concoction that our friend had extracted by some strange paths and introduced us to). in the argument, our friend was insisting that D&D was better because you used your own imagination while we maintained that, while this may be so, the imagination of Tolkien was so vastly superior to our own that it was better to read LotR. the battle lines were drawn and there could be no compromise, and likely all the subsequent events begin here. but i am a person who does not let a question go, and this one still troubles me. even then i knew my friend was right even as he was wrong. this old argument has often been at the back of my mind while reading on the plaza. but i digress.

step forward a couple of years and the 3 of us and a 4th were on the tube to Brixton to see The Damned, one of the original 1977 bands and - i was to discover - consumate performers. I did not know what to expect. when the performance began the place erupted in a wild frenzy, and i was utterly swept up by it. a chaotic anarchy of bodies within which one could release all pent up energy. it was one of those moments. for the next three years i was going to live concerts 2 or 3 times a week. the next day i went to Carnaby St, purchased the obligatory leather jacket (to be painted), a pair of tartan bondage trousers, bleached my tea shirt, and got myself a moheecan haircut. i became a punk!

the next week i headed back to Brixton with some other kids from school - the punks in another class who were ahead of us and were going to the 'now happening' punk stuff. same venue, but with Conflict and around 8 other anarcho-punk bands.

now i must pause here to fill in the picture of how i looked as a little punk - i also had NHS regulation glasses, and could in no way put them aside. but i must have put them in my pocket before the Damned began playing. I did not do so this time.

Conflict began playing, the crowd surged, and me with them, and my glasses went flying up in the air and into the mayhem. a kindly skinhead noticed what had happened and retrieved them for me, but i was crushed. my glasses were not, but the arms were broken off and i knew that i had one of those school weeks ahead were i had to hold my glasses up on my nose with one hand all the time. i retired to the seats at the back and watched the show - which gave me ample opportunity to contemplate just how truly awful the sound of the music actually was.

But the skinhead was the thing. Honestly, you see this guy on the street and you cross it. But the deal with that anarcho-punk scene was that once you were inside you were accepted whatever, and everyone looked out for each other. That was embodied in the dancing, which looks a bit ferocious from the outside. but it was an absolutely safe space - anyone who fell down was immediately picked up by hands all around, nobody was ever hurt dancing.

The inclusivity was of course a problem. The anarchist punks split with the Clash on racisim. The Clash joined the R&R (Rock against Racisim) thing, and Crass (the great leaders of the anarchists) declared them fascists for doing so. But the other side of the coin was that these anarchist punks tolerated the National Front skinheads at their gigs - and i've since read interviews with some who said they were wrong on that.

But the inclusivity was also right, of course. And the lesson that i learned from it was that real punks would accept me whatever i looked like, and to be a real punk had nothing to do with how i looked. that was a really important lesson in this world because, ever since, whenever i meet radical zealots who look down their nose at me because i am not vegan/rainbow spectrumed/whatever you want i look back at them and chuckle in my wily black dragon heart. because i know that the mere fact of their judgment demonstrates that this one is not a real punk.

:)

Anyways, thank you for your attention. The above was of course all notes in preparation for the next Cottage Competition (and as such does not fall foul of plaza bylaws). i'll be back when i've arrived at the question.

Here is a song by the real heroes of that movement: Crass.

New Soul
Chrys: Thanks buddy! :headbang: I watched that TV special and sad about the Pistols, but when a voice of a band falls away, often the band dissolves as well, and what remained are their creations - that if right - can live on forever. I (born 1975) was too young to remember them, but the mohican and mohawk hair styles were seen often enough throughout the 1980's and even into 1990's. It was also oversized clothes, broad shoulders and more stuff. The Conflict band has a lot of elements that later returned in Heavy Metal. The child's mind a wonderful in a sense, and as teenager time arrives, it is often the right moment to break out. Wonderful you had that opportunity. Blend in with clothes, having a good time etc. The message was for me, punks were not the kind of people to hang out with, in school. Except I heard flards of music and saw pictures of bands on those tiny buttons you had in those days and wore on a black leather jacket. Anarchy wasn't a good thing, as my parents said.

Wallflower me remained this way deep into my twenties: bravely doing homework, going straight to school and back home, and barely any deviations, because moms wouldn't have it. I always had a strong emotional connection with her, uncertain I was as a little girl. No other clothes that my mother bought me and neither I switched styles when I bought them myself. And at 23 (autumn 1998) my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, and my life took another road than all was happening in art and music around me. By then moms did support my sister and me to visit ballets and concert halls. But rockbands outside in football stadiums were a farcry for me. In Nov 2003 I lost her and in June 2004 I became a newbie on the Plaza, which was a world to flee into leaving all sorrows around me behind for a few hours. I was 28 back then.

It is awesome piece, your little autobiographical, and I loved it reading it. :heart: :clap:

Good luck on the next theme for the 5th Plaza challenge. :thumbs:

Aiks, thank you so much for that, as also the kindness you have given to me on other posts recently. Growing older is an odd thing. For myself, large tracts of my life have only made sense long after. Back around 1984, the year in which the above story was set, my brother and i lived with our mother, but my relationship with her was already breaking down. At the time, if you looked at it (as everyone around indeed did), my mother's eldest son hit that tricky age, became a punk - just look at him! - and naturally he gave his mother a terrible time. my basic attitude to the world was established by this, because i knew it was not so. but only many years later, after she was diagnosed with a rare neurological disease and after she had died, when my brother and me met in her flat to clean it out and went through all the old photo albums, did we work out that around 1984 was when the disease must have first hit her. that revelation of what my adolescence had actually been - the very belated vindication - coincided with a wave of revelations about a culture of deeply entrenched sexual and child abuse in the british entertainment scene of the 1970s. the sex pistols were vindicated, and my inner punk was strengthened! when i frame it now, i see precisely why the anarcho-punk scene meant so much to me - far more than it ever did to any of my friends. i identified as one of them because, like all of them, i needed my people.

i will bow to your encore, though the house is small. i was reflecting after posting on how bad so much of that music was, and in so many ways, and so present a final link to a song of those days that has always stayed with me, even as i slowly got myself an education - in fact, precisely because i got myself an education.

Sham 69. If the Kids are United

1. Background. Sham = Skinheads are Magic (i never worked out about the 69). This group came out of the white working class London that was breeding the National Front neo-nazi movement, and this video illustrates the other side of the R&R (Rock against Racism) movement. There appear to have been intense efforts by the leaders of R&R to bring Sham 69 into the fold - which they just about achieved, but the efforts brought to the fore all the real tensions between black and white youth in those days. The video commences with a gritted teeth anti-racism statement (the white singer saying 'alright mate' to a black guy) but from then on its just the white kids who are united.

2. Analysis. The intense strain of the situation on the ground appears to have generated a collapse of meaning in the song-writing. The chorus:
If the kids are united, they will never be divided.
Now, compare an alternative chorus:
If the kids are united, they will never be defeated.
This alternative makes sense because the first part of the sentence - about being united - gives some explanatory illumination of another state of existence - never being defeated. The actual chorus, however, is almost entirely a TAUTOLOGY - nothing new is stated on the right-hand side of the sentence, except for the 'never'. But that is utterly mysterious, because what is in fact being claimed is that if the kids are united now then the (for all the rest of us) unknowable future is set, likely as not for all eternity, or at least until the Dark Lord returns from Outside. So this could be really interesting, because these kids are telling us that they know something deep about the nature of Time and the universe. But though over the years when certain moods take me i call up this video and ponder all elements of it, i have to this day found no trace whatsoever of the secret of their illumination. indeed, i find it impossible to conclude that this is anything other than a very silly song.

New Soul
Chrys: Thanks. :smooch: It is not strange at all that siblings influence each other. But as this was a contest thread, shall we continue this conversation in another place?

Drifa: Still a thank you to you as well for running the contest. Your creations were very nice as well. I loved it how you put them together, also the poem you have written. :smooch: Sorry I forgot to comment on it.

Aiks, unofficial plaza admin that you are - you are quite correct. i will return to silence. x

New Soul
Chrys: I didn't want you to go silent, just move onto another part of the plaza. Read here what I wrote. And don't be afraid to post in my thread, if you want. It's okay. :smooch:

Aiks! We do not ever quite know what our words do to others. Had i called you an 'unofficial admin' even a month ago, it would have been a dire insult. but i have since decided that the admins here are, unexpectedly OK. But if i write about anarchist punks of old then i am implicitly drawing an analogy with today, and that punk scene translates fairly simply into a community without admins. And to be honest, to grasp what that scene was like back then you do not have to do much more than imagine a community without admins...

You are also completely right about the masculinity. i was too young to understand how much the whole thing was bound up in the difficulties of being a young, awkward, spotty teenage male. But it was very much about that.

I am very happy to read that you are now moving more out and about in the world, and sorry to hear of the difficulties.

Finally, Aiks! You could not silence me even if you wanted to :) And it was a good thing that you interrupted me because i had just prepared a third post where i point out that the racism of those days, with these neo-nazi skinheads, is exactly the context required to understand why the most authoratitive book on Tolkien, 'The Road to Middle-earth' (1982) by T.A. Shippey is so bad. I have a fourth post in notes that brings the story down to Old Lore in the plaza, where the initial problems were compounded, and that should have readied things for the announcement of the theme of the next Cottage competition.

But you are absolutely correct that this is not the place for such musings! I will move happily to another thread. However, it may take a little while to organize all my notes again, which will delay ever so slightly the announcement of the new competition.

The Coup

My fellow members, bad news. Despite repeated requests the admins have done nothing to fix the 'Riddles in the Dark' thead in the Shire. I now have no alternative but to resort to full scale protest. I am hijacking your lovely plaza art competition thread, and will now henceforth periodically post a collection of some of the very worst music that ever graced my record collection.

I understand that this music is extremely painful. If you do not like it - go complain to the admins! If enough of you pen letters of complaint it may motivate the admins to fix the riddle thread (which is all i have ever wanted).

First off, Dirt live, an EP entitled Never Mind Dirt Here's the billferny

PS. Please note that the plaza censor automatically changes the name on the title to 'bullocks'. I have already raised the injustice of this censorship with the admins, but given their slackness on the riddle thread i'm not holding my breath.

Day 2 of the Campaign

Icons of Filth, Enough is Enough

Technically, i never owned this record. But it was in the collection of a flat-mate, who would put this song on loudly whenever it was required to get me out of bed in the morning. So it is actually seared quite deep in my brain (which may explain much).

Day 3 of the Campaign

Fellow members, victory is near! The dreaded Admins are buckling. Keep writing those complaints! Being in a mellower mood, I thought today we might avoid the instant-migraine type of song and go for something late, but almost classy.

Culture Shock. Punks on Postcards

They'll put your name on files - files, files, files
Taps on your telephone
Your picture on a postcard
If you really need the cash
They'll make you the epitome
Of what the tourists love to see
Packaged non-conformity, Ah!
Nothing more than trash - trash
Trash - trash, trash, trash, trash, trash
Nothing more than trash

Victory!

Fellow plaza members, we have won! If you go to the riddle thread you will find it is now working again (some minor censorship issues aside). I thank you all for the many notes of complaint that I know that you must have sent to the admins - for there is no way they would have fixed things otherwise!

I declare an end to Punk. Here is some familiar music so that of all us can return to our normal state of movie-induced stupor.

Fake-Hobbit-hole music

Éowyn
Éowyn
Yay! Them lazy bums finally did something.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Arnyn wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:09 pm Yay! Them lazy bums finally did something.
:smooch:

i have a feeling that will be the last plaza art competition that i will win.

Hi @Arnyn. Thank you for your forebearance. There was actually something going on - i had a thought. Only i could not find it and had to twist and shake before it fell out. This was not what i thought i was doing at the time, but i just had a nice hot bath at the end of my day and had one of those minor Eureka moments. I'm not at all sure that you care, but as you were the main sufferer of my 'thinking-aloud' i feel you deserve to know.

As i said above, it is shocking that my plaza story competition came in 2nd (out of 2) while this punk item won me a competition. But a revamped version of that story is going up as my December post on the Silmarillion Writers Guide website. My earlier posts - as later ones - are heavy duty Tolkien scholarship. But the December post is going to be my Peregrin Boffin story. And in the bath the title came to me:

Never Mind the Scholarship
Here's the Story

And that is just the business! (Tbh, so was the Dwarves and the Arkenstone, though i say it myself; but as you see, this classic slogan can be reworked endlessly.)

Thing is, the posts surrounding this one expose the academic discipline of Tolkien Studies as a house of cards built on sand, and explain the reason in terms of a paranoid fear among the academics (which they kept to themselves, but hint at in their writing) that Tolkien's fantasy was related to the insanity of Nazism, that it grew from the same seed. And the context of their paranoia was precisely these skinheads on the street and the rise of neo-nazism in the early 1980s charted in my history of punk posts above. These posts (and this i was clear about as i wrote them; you got to realize i am a very obsessive person) frame the context of the origin of Tolkien Studies.

New Soul
I don't agree at all that Tolkien's works are an abomination. It is diversive in many facets, as between the kindred's developing friendships (dwarves and elves). It is in depth, with rich world full of history, peoples, languages, customs, habits, an economy. It feels so real you can actually live in it. The tales don't promote feelings for nationality. It is about undying comradeship in the face of nearly impossible odds. :nod:

Aikári Salmarinian wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:26 pm I don't agree at all that Tolkien's works are an abomination. It is diversive in many facets, as between the kindred's developing friendships (dwarves and elves). It is in depth, with rich world full of history, peoples, languages, customs, habits, an economy. It feels so real you can actually live in it. The tales don't promote feelings for nationality. It is about undying comradeship in the face of nearly impossible odds. :nod:
Right. You are completely correct. But here is the thing (I think). Tolkien recognized that the Nazis were taking the Germanic tradition into abominable places, and he set out to rework this tradition in a totally opposite way. But just as a shadow has some resemblance to the person or thing itself, so there are indeed signs that - to one who is already suspicious - can lead to absolutely the wrong conclusion.

If the scholars had recognized that Tolkien in 1936 was looking at the gathering clouds on the horizon, and even thought at all what it means that LotR was composed during WWII, they would have seen the real relationship between Tolkien's thought and the Nazis. But instead they tried as hard as they could to not look at any of this terrible context, with the result that they could not recognize what was before their eyes.

Hi @Lirimaer. The seed of all the above mischief was of course my awkwardness at winning your competition - and in such a punk way - given we never resolved anything after i launched a cruise missile at you early in the days of the nuplaza. i'm not apologizing for the tactical strike, which i still believe self-defence, but i am sorry about the whole thing. having seen what you actually wanted in the competition (requiring some close reading away from the original prompt) i was not going to enter - but at the last moment the Dwarf prodded me and the album cover came into being in my hands.

May i at least make ammends by attempting another version of your original vision in the next competition? Possibly, if you tell me here it might be that we can proceed through the copy-editing stage more smoothly this time.

Warrior of Imladris
Hello @Chrysophylax Dives

I can't remember what you have evidently remembered, so it's a little weird to come back to the plaza (I am so infrequently here) and find you mentioning me with such frequency - I'll answer them all here if you don't mind. I bear no ill-will and appreciate your self-effacing honesty. I hope you are staying safe, or moving to a safer place if you are not, should you still be in the warzone. I only know what it's like to be military in a warzone, but I can appreciate it is much different as a civilian.

Well done for winning the competition. :) (I am not sure about the eggs - lol)

Lirimaer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:47 pm Hello @Chrysophylax Dives
I can't remember what you have evidently remembered, so it's a little weird to come back to the plaza (I am so infrequently here) and find you mentioning me with such frequency - I'll answer them all here if you don't mind. I bear no ill-will and appreciate your self-effacing honesty. I hope you are staying safe, or moving to a safer place if you are not, should you still be in the warzone. I only know what it's like to be military in a warzone, but I can appreciate it is much different as a civilian.
Well done for winning the competition. :) (I am not sure about the eggs - lol)
And so now, on top of everything else, I now have to add guilt for weirding you out! But I take it from your reply that whatever I do remember I can now forget and move on. So thank you for that.

Thanks also on the good wishes regarding the war. That is appreciated.

As for the competition, I am afraid there are now rumours circulating that as I have no artistic talent whatsoever the fact that I won indicates that the whole thing was fixed! There are even people saying that the winning entry was not even drawn by me but by the Dwarf, who cajoled me into entering it in my name. Ridiculous! The very idea that I had to enter the picture as my own as part of some plea deal after being caught stealing plaza-eggs is obviously crazy and testimony to the unhinged imaginations of certain members of this site.

Warrior of Imladris
Well, after that I am convinced that this competition is all above board and there are no shenanigans afoot.

*whistles*