Scary Halloween Word Sleuth RP

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Khazad Elder
Drifa

...Great stores of goods, food, and beer were found that had been hidden away by the ruffians in sheds and barns and deserted holes, especially in the tunnels at Michel Delving and in the old quarries at Scary; so that there was a great deal better cheer that Yule than anyone had hoped for.
The Return Of The King, The Grey Havens

But this was not so during the month of Winterfilth, before the discovery. Nay, no cheer, only fear. The quarries at Scary become haunted. Some say it was spirits from the hills of Tyrn Gorthad that had crept in after their barrow's destruction. Some say it was the phantom of Saruman and his servant Wormtongue. And some even whispered that it was the fable Mewlips, evil creatures out of Hobbit legend.
Although most considered the brave group of folk with no common sense, characters of this Winterfilth month have gotten together to root out the menace around the Hills and quarries, and in doing so, discover the stores. Or, at least, tried to.
~~~~~~~~~~

• Welcome to Word Sleuth with a twist. WS Rp means one must Rp in character in-game posts instead of just posting a play.
    Follow the plotline. Prompts will be given at each update to keep the game exciting and the RP going.
    Please Rp, if interested in playing, your arrival at Scary Village prepared to hunt out spirits, phantoms and evil creatures.
    If you have any questions, please address them here: The Michel Delving Mathom-House (OOC).
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The Shadows where the Mewlips dwell
    Are dark and wet as ink,
    And slow and softly rings their bell,
    As in the slime, you sink.

You sink into the slime, who dare
    To knock upon their door,
    While down the grinning gargoyles stare
    And noisome waters pour.

Beside the rotting river-strand
    The drooping willows weep,
    And gloomily the gorcrows stand
    Croaking in their sleep.

Over the Merlock Mountains a long and weary way,
    In a mouldy valley where the trees are grey,
    By a dark pool's borders without wind or tide,
    Moonless and sunless, the Mewlips hide.

The cellars where the Mewlips sit
    Are deep and dank and cold
    With single sickly candle lit;
    And there they count their gold.

Their walls are wet, their ceilings drip;
    Their feet upon the floor
    Go softly with a squish-flap-flip,
    As they sidle to the door.

They peep out slyly; through a crack
    Their feeling fingers creep,
    And when they've finished, in a sack
    Your bones they take to keep.

Beyond the Merlock Mountains, a long and lonely road,
    Through the spider-shadows and the marsh of Tode,
    And through the wood of hanging trees and gallows-weed,
    You go to find the Mewlips - and the Mewlips feed.

Richard_Svensson
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Fuchsia Meadowsweet

Scary village... Mewlips... and some possible treasure. Fuchsia was not particularly attracted to treasure unless it was of an edible kind, or perhaps a very beautiful jewelry, but she could not help being attracted to adventure. While she could not really decide whether this particular adventure sounded way too scary for a Hobbit youngling to handle, she still decided to join in - she could always back out, right? Before some horrible mewlip devoured her?

And so Fuchsia arrived, dressed in a simple grey dress which she did not care to tear or smudge, her hair neatly covered by a wide-brimmed hat, and a backpack filled with a few buns and a whole lot of apples which could be used as ammunition in need. She had also taken her small garden hoe and spade, just in case, and all this she considered to be a suitable preparation for the unknown dangers.

"Hullo? Is this where I apply for..." she began, unsure what word to use for this event, and instead gestured wildly to make up for the lack of verbal expression.

Khazad Elder
Beyond the Merlock Mountains, a long and lonely road,
Through the spider-shadows and the marsh of Tode,
And through the wood of hanging trees and gallows-weed,
You go to find the Mewlips - and the Mewlips feed.
Is anyone interested in an RP game of Word Sleuth?
The world was fair in Durin's Day

New Soul
@Drifa
Not understanding what is meant by Word Sleuth, but having been hunting for a good adventure for some time now, Hobold Chubbs wandered into Scary - an appropriately named village for the time of year, muttering to himself of Dragon Smoke, and "no good-nicks," when he heard a familiar poem being recited. One which most definitely promised adventure, and excitement - two things which, though looked down upon by most in the Shire, were sure to get this old hobbit's heart rate a-thumpin.
Periantar:
I am a multi facited hobbit, for I am a gardener;
a leader, hobbit second regiment of the HDS;
and fireworks meister of TISAPA.

Balrog

Tarquinius Fieldhopper was the Shire's foremost paranatural and supernormal expert. The field was not a large one (in fact it could be fit into a small closet) but he was the best of the best. Not a hobbit living or dead (especially dead) could out do him. He had gumptive patience, exhaustive research, and mystical equipment that aided his advanced and totally legitimate ghost hunting business.

As soon as he heard the rumors about the Hills of Scary were living up to their name, he was off. This was it. This was his chance! Merrily, perhaps even giddily, he was off a’hopping and a’bounding. He brought with him the best of his equipment, a spirit board and planchette, a book on eastern Shire folklore called Don’t Go O’er Them Hills Now: Speculative Narrations from Suspiciously Inebriated Folk, and a walking stick purported to have been blessed by a passing Elf in the Old Forest. What was he going to find? Barrow-wights? Mewlips? Talkin’ Turtles? Black Dogs? Maybe Old Scratch hisself?

Tarquinius was out the door before he remembered his coat. It was autumn and the chills were getting frightful crisp. Winterfylleth they used to call it. He had to go back and get it. No use in catching a cold out here. He wasn’t that crazy after all.

“HALLOA! Below there!” he called to the mysterious mist ensorcelled figure in front of him.

“Who goes there, eh?”
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Khazad Elder

WORD SLEUTH RULES

Welcome to Word Sleuth! Please, Rp, if you haven't already, your arrival at Scary Village prepared to hunt out spirits, phantoms, evil creatures, etc.
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:06 am, edited 18 times in total.

Ent Ancient
Rilla Banks

A little bird told a little bird told an owl told one Rilla Banks one night about a special scavenger hunt in Scary she could not refuse. Not even when the event conflicted with a Pumpkin Party complete with unlimited ale tents with eighty taps, a six-course meal concluding with pumpkin pie topped with pumpkin ginger ice cream and whipped cream with a side of glazed donuts, a pumpkin-growing contest, and pony rides.

Immediately upon hearing the chitter-chatter about the scavenger hunt, Rilla steeled her stomach to miss a scrumptious feast, packed her bags, and set off for Scary. Finally, Rilla had arrived after she turned around to go home to retrieve her forgotten lucky handkerchief, stopped for a bottle of ginger beer, and gone foraging for mushrooms.

"I'm here, I'm here!" she called, racing over. "Wait for meee!" She wore a hat with a pair of pointed cat ears on her auburn curls and whiskers painted her cheeks. With every flouncing step she took, an orange tail swayed precariously from a pin on her skirt. "When do we go find Meowlips?" She asked, certain it was someone's cat gone missing and that she was going to find the lost pet since she was dressed for the part.

Orc Chieftain
Elanor Starsley

Since Elanor Starsley was making too much of a fuss of having to help hunt down a dragon, her elders offered a compromise; Investigate the strange happenings in Scary.

"What kind of happenings?" Elanor asked, growing wary of this particular "compromise". Since young Elanor was quite the troublemaker, first in Bree and now in the Shire, her elders had to be careful how they explained the "strange happenings" reported in Scary, so that the young lass wouldn't turn this little adventure down like she did with the one involving to help to hunt down a dragon.

"We're not certain, Elanor, but do you remember when you were being so naughty that you got the attention of Krampus?" they asked.

Elanor still had nightmares about the ordeal every time that time of year came around. "Y-y-yes..." the mischievous Hobbit lass stuttered.

"It's something along those lines, but I'm not sure if being naughty has anything to do with these particular 'creatures'." Elanor's elders tried not to put emphasis on the word creatures, but it couldn't be helped, since what was going on in Scary even made them shudder even to think that such "creatures" might actually exist.

"Why are you trying to send me on "adventures" that I might not come back from? First trying to convince me to help hunt down a dragon and now this!" Elanor asked, even though she already knew that they were trying to get her mind off the Hobbit lass that wants nothing to do with her after the stunt she pulled, almost costing a young Hobbit lass her life.

"I think you already know the answer to that question, Elanor, that boy you fancy wants nothing to do with you after the stunt you pulled!"

"She didn't die! I just wanted to teach her not to interfere with someone who should be with ME, not HER!" Elanor nearly shouted.

"Elanor, enough! Either the dragon or Scary, which will it be?" Elanor's elders were almost to their wits end of what to do with the young lass, since they were running out of options.

"Alright, I'll investigate what's going on in Scary, since I don't want to die a fiery death!" Elanor exclaimed, heading upstairs to pack her things, trying not to press the matter, since if her elders got fed up enough with her, they might take her back to Bree and she would never see the boy she's infatuated with ever again, and Elanor would do anything in her power to stop that from happening.

Arriving in Scary, Elanor was starting to wish that she chose the mission to help hunt down a dragon after all, since this place was starting to make the hair on her toes stand up on end. "Maybe I shouldn't have made such a fuss about having to help hunt down a dragon after all." the feisty young Hobbit lass thought to herself. "Hello? Anyone here that is still among the living?" Elanor feared that she would soon regret those words...
He who commands the Ruling Ring... commands all

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

A bright light, and then, like a boot, he felt himself kicked out of the light onto the hard ground. Rubbing his eyes, Afird stared around him. He was in a small town. Hobbits were standing around and looking scared. There appeared to be the butcher, the baker, the candle stick maker. Not sure what was happening, he approached the closest hobbit and bowed low in greeting, sweeping off his purple hood.

'Begging your pardon, he smiled at the hobbit lass @Pele Alarion (aka Fuchsia Meadowsweet), but can you tell me what is going on here? I was selling pumpkins in Gondor. I had made my way into the pub and was trying to escape a terrifying dog (no need to tell this stranger it was a pup, he thought) when suddenly I was transported here. What is this gathering about? Please tell me."

While he waited for an answer, he felt another strange sensation come over him. And this one wasn't calming or refreshing. It felt foul.

All letters have been placed into a small leather pouch and shook about. The letter closest to the A starts first, and the others follow. The letters were re-shuffled, and seven tiles were drawn for each player's rack.
Here is the order:
Elanor Starsley/Lady of Shadow F
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/Frost G
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele N
Rilla Banks/Lail T
Hobold Chubbs/Periantar U

Your seven letters are whited out between the two asterisks. Please highlight them to discover what they are.
Elanor Starsley/Lady of Shadow
*V A S I R R I*
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/Frost
*D G O R E A BLANK*
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele
*A E X N P O N*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E S M D E Y I*

Elanor Starsley/@Lady of Shadow, you have 48 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
~~~~~~
Afird Splitax was suddenly transported to Scary through a stargate located in a Halloween Pub: The Gate of the Seven Stars in Gondor. He is unaware of what is going on. Now is the time to meet the other hobbits and decide what you will need to bring with you (axes, pitchforks, rakes, knives) into the quarry to find what you can find. Beware of the Dwarf. He may not be who he appears to be.
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Orc Chieftain
Elanor Starsley

When Elanor Starsley got to the village of Scary, it kind of reminded her of her encounter with Krampus once upon a time, since there were all kinds of scary looking creatures about. "What have I gotten myself into?" the young Hobbit lass wondered, looking around for a safe place to hide, in case one of these creatures thought that she didn't fit in and wanted to have young Elanor as their lunch.

As the young lass hastened through Scary, she hoped that her elders hadn't used this little adventure (and the previous one that she turned down) to punish her for attempting to murder a young Hobbit lass that the boy she fancied was actually interested in.

The word is HASTENED

High Warden of Tower
Fuchsia Meadowsweet

Some more friendly looking folks came by, and as she admired Rilla's cat costume Fuchsia began to think that this was not scary at all and only a greatly fun adventure.

"Wait, wha..." She then breathed out as a rather sturdy looking fellow suddenly appeared before her, fancy bow and all that. "They said there's mewlips or... meowlips?..." she hesitated, quite uncertain since she did not know what any of these were either way. "In the quarry, and we go to look for 'em. And what you saying, good sir? Gondor? I thought it was a loooooooooong way off." People could not just be in a place who knew where and appear in another place the next moment, that much she knew. "I don't think it is possible. But suppose you can see if you can find yourself a mewlip or two."

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

Afird stared at the hobbit for a moment after she spoke to him. He then bent low towards her and whispered.
"Did you say, Mewlips? The creatures that feast on the unsuspecting? The ones that live Beyond the Merlock Mountains?" Then, not even waiting for her to respond, he continued. " The foul creatures that stole our gold from beneath our noses? Gold that we had laboured for by sinking as low as blacksmith work and coal mining?"
Afird took a deep breath and released it with a shudder. He did not know where this rant had come from. It was so unlike him. Suddenly, he felt ashamed. He was, after all, an axe maker and took pride in his work and was proud of the service he offered. But just mentioning those foul creatures made his temper flare to scorch. He bowed low to the hobbit lass again and then turned to the others and, bowing once more, rose and said.
"If you are hunting for foul and wicked creature, please count me in. I am Afird Splitax at your service! It seems that I have left my pack and my axe in Gondor. What weapons do you have?"

All letters have been placed into a small leather pouch and shook about. The letter closest to the A starts first, and the others follow. The letters were re-shuffled, and seven tiles were drawn for each player's rack.
Here is the order:
Elanor Starsley/Lady of Shadow F
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/ Lorenzo Pee G
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele N
Rilla Banks/Lail T
Hobold Chubbs/Periantar U

Your seven letters are whited out between the two asterisks. Please highlight them to discover what they are.
*V A S I R R I*
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/ Lorenzo Pee
*D G O R E A BLANK*
*A E X N P O N*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E S M D E Y I*

Tarquinius Fieldhopper/@Lorenzo Pee, you have 48 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
~~~~~~
Halloween Pub: The Gate of the Seven Stars
Afird Splitax has joined the group and inquired about weapons they might use. What would be the best ones to use to root out the menace around the Hills and quarry and, in doing so, discover the stores?

Khazad Elder
*V A S I R R I*
*D G O R E A BLANK*
*A E X N P O N*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E S M D E Y I*

Fuchsia Meadowsweet /@Pele Alarion, you have 48 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
~~~~~~
Afird Splitax has joined the group and inquired about weapons they might use. What would be the best ones to use to root out the menace around the Hills and quarry and, in doing so, discover the stores?

Balrog

An axe could be useful in a practical sense, Tarquinius knew, but he was not a hobbit given over to too much physical labor. He was a hobbit of mental prowess rather than physical. He took a hard look at the equipment he brought with him. Could any of it be of use to a dwarf? Better question, could any of them fight of a mewlip? He hadn't really thought about that. A studious hobbit by nature, Tarquinius didn't think much about the martial arts of bashing at each other with sticks or stones. He was more apt to negotiate his problems or, when that inevitable failed, run away and avoid the problem ‘til it went away, like a normal person.

"Ah, he said slowly, considering his stock still.

He was standing stock still too when...

He blinked. He’d felt something, a spark of energy crawl up his arm and legs. He nearly let out a yelp of surprise when the feeling suddenly subsided. What on earth? He looked around him. The hobbit lasses and the dwarf that was apparently joining him on this ghost hoonting trip were all still there, all looking at him expectantly. Had he just zoned out? Tarquinius Fieldhopper never zoned out! That was just the most preposterous thing in all the Shire to imagine! His field of work: ghost hoonting and spirit capturing required the most serious and sharpest of minds! Zoning out! The pure audacity of this! He’d almost, almost imagined he was sitting in a pub somewhere (maybe Bree) and was about to be accosted by some large ravenous wolf pup thing. Was that all a dream or had that happened?

This village was turning out to be a little Scary indeed! He grinned at his own pun, a pun that had probably been uttered in some form or fashion at least a hundred times a day around the inhabitants of the village. Still, Tarquinius knew it was funny, even if sharing it might have goaded his fellow hoonters into eliciting the most infuriated of groans.

“Well,” he said after a moment, realizing he’d been about to answer a question the dwarf had. “I have this staff, blessed by a westward-passing elf. I think that can count for something.”

The “blessing” in question might have been more an utterance of “Nice Stick” in some elvish language but since Tarquinius knew there was power in the use of old, old, old words (seriously elves were so old).

----------

-----
Play the word GOADED going down with the “G” on the pumpkin for a total of 13 points (8 for the word and 5 bonus for Tolkien quote).

"Horns were blown and trumpets were braying, and the mumakil were bellowing as they were goaded to war."
- Return of the King, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

'A stick would be good!' exclaimed Afird to the hobbit (Tarquinius Fieldhopper), who had a perky hat and the look of what the dwarf called knowing in his eye. ' But does anyone have anything sharper? I don't know about you folk, but I have been told that if you encounter a Mewlip, you best have something sharp on hand or be able to run fast. Real fast. What about you ladies? Do you have a pointy object that you can stab with? Like a hat pin or a knitting needle?'
Afird rubbed his hands across his eyes. Why was he here without his axe? Why was he here when he was supposed to be in Gondor selling pumpkins? He pulled his hood over his head and felt a chill climb up his back. The light was fading fast. He hoped that the others had brought weapons. And something to eat - else it wouldn't only be the ghosts and Mewlips moaning but the dwarf's stomach, too.

*V A S I R R I*
*R A A I T I S*
*A E X N P O N*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E S M D E Y I*

SCOREBOARD
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/ Lorenzo Pee - 26 points (the pumpkin was a double word premium square)
Rilla Banks/Lail

Fuchsia Meadowsweet /@Pele Alarion, you have 48 hours to make your first play. Good luck!

High Warden of Tower
Fuchsia Meadowsweet

"Wha? You mean... mewlips could eat us?" Fuchsia had somehow missed the information that these creatures were in fact very foul, and now she did not wish to participate in this adventure at all, but she was too proud to turn back.
Adjusting the straps of her pack, she wished she had taken some other tools that would be of more use against evil things.
"I only have a spade and a hoe, not sure those would make good weapons," she admitted regretfully to the Dwarf, and then eyed Tarquinius' stick. "Could toss apples and hit the evil creature's eye, if necessary. Wish I had taken a wet towel though, my mother uses it as a very effective weapon..."

The play:
EXPAND vertically, using the last D of GOADED.
1 + 8 + 3 + 1 + (1 x 2 DL) + 0 = 15 x 2 (DW) = 30

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

A stick, spade and a hoe. Apples and wet towels that the mother used to use. Afrid remembered a time when the flu went through his mountain home. It was a bad one. The scent of mustard was heavy in the air from the mustard plasters that the healers were using to ease congestion. Dwarves had shivers, aches and pains, and stiff joints. But when the rats got out of control due to a lack of surveillance by the rat patrol (they were all sick, too), one dwarf alone kept the rodents at bay with a concoction of peppermint leaves and chalk dust mortared into a powder that the rats seem to have an affliction to and sneezed themselves to death when they breathed it in.

As Afird stood looking helplessly at his empty axe belt, he glanced at the remaining hobbits; he wondered what they had brought for the adventure. Peppermint and chalk dust would be good. And pie and pickled eggs. He knew it would soon be time to make their way to the quarry, regardless.

*V A S I R R I*
*R A A I T I S*
*O N T U T V Z*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E S M D E Y I*

SCOREBOARD
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/ Lorenzo Pee - 26 points (the pumpkin was a double word premium square)
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele - 30 points
Rilla Banks/Lail

Rilla Banks/@Lail, you have 48 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
Last edited by Drifa on Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ent Ancient
Rilla Banks

Rilla squinted at the bright light and gasped at the sudden arrival of a...dwarf? Dizziness swirled through her like riding the Merry-go-round at the Lithedays fest after having a few too many pints. She swayed on her feet and whispered to Elanor, "Have I gone and smoked too much of Mister Milo Took's moldy pipeweed again?"

Soon enough, the odd feeling wore off but unlike the hallucinated giant purple rabbit she'd seen after the Milo Took pipeweed incident, the imaginary dwarf remained. Mystified, Rilla approached the mysterious dwarf (Afird) and raised a finger to poke him in the nose and evaluated whether he was real or not...but quickly leaped back at the "w" word.

"W-weapons?" Rilla stuttered meekly, dismayed. "Why do we need weapons to find a missing cat? I've got everything we might need to find Meowlips!"

Rummaging through her bag, she declared with pride, "I've got catnip, a ball of yarn, a set of cutlery--oh no, that's for me–never know when you fancy a good snack–-a fishing rod with a feather attached, a jug of milk and saucer, a bag of dried trout and salmon treats, and...a cardboard box."

DISMAYED horizontally to the right starting with the first D in Goaded
2+1+1+3+1+4+1+2 = 15
quote - 15 + 5 = 20
DW - 20 x 2 = 40

"They were dismayed, and none more than Morwen. 'Go back, go back! I command you!' she cried."
- NARN I HÎN HÚRIN, The Tale of the Children of Húrin, The Silmarillion

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

Having almost been poked in the nose by the pert little hobbit lass (Rilla Banks), Afird was in a better mood suddenly. She was a pretty thing, he thought, making him feel less stressed as he watched her rummage about in her bag, taking out odds and sods, all having something to do basically with cats. He grinned, thinking this had to be the final straw, but it was okay. He was here now and not in Gondor. He wasn't about to travel back to the Stone City again. And he could see that he would have to take care of this lot, even though he wasn't supposed to be here. And all these pretty hobbit gals, well, some of them would surely need rescuing at some point.
Grinning once more at the hobbit, he turned and looked down the hill towards the quarry. He hadn't had time to look that way, and now he could see a shed at the bottom of the incline, a dusty road leading towards it.

'Oi! Look down there, folks! There appears to be a shed. There might be something sharp in there that we can take with us.We have to go down there sooner or later. Shall we have a look-see? '

*V A S I R R I*
*R A A I T I S*
*O N T U T V Z*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E S M D E Y I*

SCOREBOARD
Rilla Banks/Lail

Rilla Banks/@Lail my lovely! You do not have an A on your letter rack. Please make another word. Thank you!

Ent Ancient
DISMAY vertically from the A in 'Expand'
2+(1x3 TL)+1+3+1+(4x3 TL) = 22
+5 (quote) = 27

"'But that will leave no place for us!' cried Pippin in dismay."
- Chapter 3: The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship of the Ring

(OOC: :embarrassed: :lol: whoops! I knew I'd get something wrong at some point...)

Khazad Elder

*V A S I R R I*
*R A A I T I S*
*O N T U T V Z*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E U U E E L*

SCOREBOARD
Rilla Banks/Lai - 27 points

Elanor Starsley/@Lady of Shadow, you have 48 hours to make your first play. Good luck!

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax
'Oi! Hello up there!' Afird calls to all the hobbits gathered above from the bottom of where he stands before the shed door. He takes a moment to wipe his sweaty brow and then calls up the incline to the hobbits again.
'Here I am at the entrance to the shed. Yes, down the hill, a bit closer to the bottom of the quarry. I was hoping that you would all follow me down, but it seems the time has gotten away from some of you, so I decided to go down myself. As you know, I do not have my axe or anything sharp or pointy. It would be an excellent plan to bring down your stick, apples, hoe spade, and all your cat paraphilia as a backup. I am about to open this shed door, and Mahal knows what is behind the door, in the shed.'

*V A S I R R I*
*R A A I T I S*
*O N T U T V Z*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E U U E E L*

SCOREBOARD
Rilla Banks/Lai - 27 points

Tarquinius Fieldhopper/@Lorenzo Pee, you have 48 hours to make your play. Good luck!

Balrog

This group might not be the best suited for ghost hoonting, Tarquinius realized. Especially since it wasn’t really ghosts they were hoonting. Mewlips were a very different beast altogether. Literally. In “The Taxonomy of Ghosts, Ghouls, and Creepy Things,” a book which Tarquinius was in the long processes of writing (and re-writing and editing and re-editing and un-editing), Mewlips fell closer to the in question ghouls than ghosts. They required a more tactile, more cautious approach. They did give him the shudders. A Dwarf, two hobbit lasses, and himself. It was a decent group, but as none of the hobbits were fighters as such (unless Tarquinius’ suppositions were preposterously wrong) the only real physical defense against the Mewlips was the Dwarf. Obviously, now that Tarquinius thought about it, that was why he was asking about weapons.

Tarquinius’ stomach lurched at the idea of opening the shed’s door. Was it from excitement or dread? Bit of both? Honestly there’s no telling. Tarquinius was, one way or another, about to get some real, practical experience in the field of hoonting. “A hoonter must hoont” his grandfather used to tell him by the fire, that and "you have to have GRIST before you can grind" but that was an odd saying and seemed to have no bearing on present events.

Today, apparently, hoonting started by opening a shed door. What was beyond it? Where did it lead? Excitement and dread. Excitement and dread.

“Ladies?” he said, turning to the lasses before following the dwarf, “I hope we all make it back for a nice luncheon after this.”

----------

GRIST played horizontally, using the G in "goaded"
2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1(x2 for DL) = 8 + 5(Tolkien Quote) = 13

"But you’ve got to have grist before you can grind; and there was no more for the new mill to do than for the old. But since Sharkey came they don’t grind no more corn at all. They’re always a-hammering and a-letting out a smoke and a stench, and there isn’t no peace even at night in Hobbiton. - The Scouring of the Shire

Orc Chieftain
Elanor Starsley

Elanor agreed with Rilla that she thought that she saw a dwarf. "No, I don't think you have. That is a dwarf, but what he's doing in the Shire is beyond me." the young Hobbit lass wasn't familiar with Rilla Banks, but she did try to answer her question. Because she was such a troublemaker, Elanor didn't have many friends, but was open to making some, if only she could get her mind off the one Hobbit lad that wanted nothing to do with her until she "matured" as he put it. "We'll see whose 'mature" enough to handle someone as cocky as you!" the mischievous Hobbit lass thought to herself after she got over her little disappointment of being rejected.

Now, as the young lass looked around the village of Scary, she hoped that she didn't somehow raise the dead by her shenanigans to get a Hobbit lad that was much too old for her to even notice that she existed. "I think I should have went after the dragon instead." Elanor thought to herself, since she was once again reminded of her encounter with Krampus, once upon a time.

RAISE played vertically, using the E in "expand"
2 (1x1 DL) +1+1+1=6+5 (Tolkien Quote) =11

“Do not kill him even now. For he has not hurt me. And in any case I do not wish him to be slain in this evil mood. He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not dare to raise our hands against. He is fallen, and his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him, in the hope that he may find it.”
Frodo (referring to Saruman) - The Fellowship of the Ring.

OOC: Sorry it's a little late, but hopefully, it still counts (and I hope I got the Math right, since it's not my strong point).

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax
He could see the hobbit with the perky hat heading down the hill, but the ladies hadn't followed. Afird would have to introduce himself to this particular hobbit. As he said earlier, he had the look of knowing a thing or two. Anyone with knowledge would be a great help down here where tales of Mewlips had spread like cold mist over a dank marsh.
Afird had still not opened the door to the shed. He had a bad feeling about it and thought it would be best to wait for the others. Mind you, he was no coward. He had been in tighter and darker situations than this here adventure into a quarry, but still, with those evil creatures out of Hobbit legend hanging about, well, he thought it best to wait. Subconsciously, he reached down to grab his axe (old habit) and found empty air where it usually hung. He looked up the slope and called to the group of hobbits.
"Come alone, ladies and gentleman! Let's see what's in the shed. First one to get down can open the shed door. I won't be upset, truly."

*V I G A A G F*
*A A I N BLANK L E*
*O N T U T V Z*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E U U E E L*

SCOREBOARD
Elanor Starsley/Lady of Shadow - 11 pts
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/ Lorenzo Pee - 26+13= 39 pts
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele - 30 pts
Rilla Banks/Lai - 27 pts

Fuchsia Meadowsweet/@Pele Alarion, you have 48 hours to make your play. Good luck!

High Warden of Tower
Fuchsia Meadowsweet

Fuchsia could not quite explain her sudden bout of daydreaming as he kept staring at the dazzling... thing? item? object? Whatever it was behind the Dwarf that she had now noticed. Yet finally she managed to realise that the Dwarf himself had in fact moved on, down to the shed, and was now calling them.

"Shall we?" she asked Rilla and Elanor, and then hastened towards the shed.

"Oh, tell me there is something edible in there, Mr Dwarf!" Fuchsia said, having arrived. "I think it is high time for a snack."

~~~~~
Play:
Add O horizontally behind S of RAISE to form SO, and vertically downwards forming OX with X of EXPAND.
SO = 1 + 1 = 2 + 5 (ME bonus) = 7 x 2 (DW) = 14
OX = 1 + 8 = 9 x 2 (DW) = 18
Total = 32

Quote: "Nay! Not Elves," said the fourth, the tallest, and as it appeared the chief among them. "Elves do not walk in Ithilien in these days. And Elves are wondrous fair to look upon, or so 'tis said."
Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, the Two Towers

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax
He knew that hobbits were specific regarding mealtime - but was this the right time to think of snacks? Demons may lurk in the shed—ghouls, goblins, and maybe even a young Were-worm. The shed was indeed big enough for one to curl up in. And had these hobbits forgotten about mewlips?? He glanced at Fuchsia and wondered at her spade and hoe. The spade did look sharp enough.
'I am not sure there are snacks in this shed, my dear hobbit.' Afird said to her. 'But then again, you never know. I once heard that many ruffians had stores and goods hidden in this quarry. Tales even say they were in league and worked with,' he bent and whispered by her ear, 'the black man.' He nodded his head to emphasize this.
'Now, if you are ready for a snack, I suggest you push open that shed door and go in and see what you can see, eh? I will stand here on the step and use my kinder box to... ' He looked around and saw an old broom leaning on the side of the shed. ' Yes, to light the head of the broom on fire, like a torch, you see?'

*V I G A A G F*
*A A I N BLANK L E*
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele Alarion
*N T U T V Z S*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E U U E E L*

SCOREBOARD
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele Alarion- 30 +32 = 62 pts
Rilla Banks/Lai - 27 pts

Rilla Banks/@Lail, you have 48 hours to make your play. Good luck!

Ent Ancient
Rilla Banks

"Ooo, a snack would be splendid!" Forgetting her trepidation, Rilla gripped her fork and knife in one hand, prepared to make a cut into a nice juicy rhubarb pie, or a platter of smoked fish from the Brandywine, or a slice of fruit cake, or, or– where were we? Ah yes, skipping merrily down the hill to the shed.

Skipping downhill was extraordinarily fun and Rilla rather felt almost like she were flying. Like a giant snowball that rolled and rolled and crashed into the Party Tree last winter, Rilla's momemtum rather carried her away at an unstoppable speed and–

CRASH! She careened into the shed door face first with a startled "Oof!"

súle - vertically starting with the S in GRIST
SULE
1+1+1+1 = 4
+ 10 [Tolkien] = 14
x 2 [DW] = 28 total

quote:
"(3) thúle (súle) spirit, formen north, harma treasure (or aha rage), hwesta (breeze)"
- The Lord of the Rings, Appendix E: Writing, The Fëanorian Letters: Note, The names of the letters

(OOC: leaving it for our fine GM to decide whether or not Rilla opened the door by banging into it!)

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

Before he had a chance to strike his flint and fire up the broom, lighting the way for the hobbit who had insisted on snack time (Fuchsia Meadowsweet), something rushed by him in a blur, crashing into the shed door, making him drop the broom and scream like an elf (something he did not do very often, scream that is - but since the mysterious journey from Gondor to this village, he had been a basket of nerves). He then darted behind the hobbit, who enjoyed snacking and had a spade and hoe, a better weapon than an empty axe belt. He stood shaking behind her and, in a croak, said.

'Was was that a Mewlip? Is there a Mewlip in the shed? Don't you think you should rush up there and shut the door? '

*V I G A A G F*
*A A I N BLANK L E*
*N T U T V Z S*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E U E T R O*

SCOREBOARD
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele Alarion- 30+32 = 62 pts
Rilla Banks/Lai - 27+28= 55 pts

Elanor Starsley/@Lady of Shadow, you have 48 hours to make your play. Good luck!

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

*V I G A A G F*
*A A I N BLANK L E*
*N T U T V Z S*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E U E T R O*

SCOREBOARD

Tarquinius Fieldhopper/@ Lorenzo Pee, you have 48 hours to make your play. Good luck!
~~~~~~

A quick update on the happenings thus far.
Afird has no axe.
Tarquinius Fieldhopper has a 'nice stick' that may have powers if only in the name of said stick.
Elanor Starsley has gone missing.
Fuchsia Meadowsweet carries a hoe and spade, snacks on the brain, and has reached the bottom of the hill.
Rilla Banks has cat toys and likes to open shed doors with her head.
According to Afird, there may be a Mewlip in the shed.
A discarded broom is still available to anyone who needs a weapon.
Hopefully, everyone is down the hill and ready to investigate the quarry.

Balrog

Brave is not a word that could be ascribed to Tarquinius with greats amounts of frequency (or honesty). While he was inquisitive and tautological, his searches for ghosts and ghouls and goblins never required much in the way of confrontation. Not real confrontation anyway. Ghouls weren’t corporeal or corporal enough to be a problem, ghosts could be dealt with by way of literal handwaving, and goblins were so rare that Tarquinius had never had to fight them (he’d been on holiday in the far South Farthing when all that stuff went down). He was not the most chivalrous either. Again, it was not a lack of tact or manners, but a lack of recurrence and practice. Ghost hoonting was a solitary vocation and usually when lads or lasses found out what he did for a living they took their drinks and stews elsewhere. Ghosts weren’t real after all, what sort of goober “hoonts” things that aren’t real?

Well by golly this stuff was real! There was a Mewlip in the shed!

Wait…

What?

Tarquinius reeled. There was a Mewlip in the shed!

No, there was… no— How could… but… then— stop that Tarquinius and get your stick…

He pushed passed the two hobbit lasses, one of who nearly broke the door down and slammed the door with all his hobbitian might. He yelped involuntarily. There was something on the other side of the door. He was certain he could hear something yelping back at him, mocking him in the exact same voice.

“Get somethin’ big an’ ‘eavy!” he managed to say between a few more involuntarily yelps.

He hadn’t actually seen this Mewlip, but then again he’d never seen a Mewlip before so for all he knew the thing could look like any…thing.

“Oh dear,” he muttered.

Ho deah,” came the sound on the other side of the door.

----------

AEOLIAN played horizontally, using the E in “sule”
1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 6 (damn…)

Bear Edit: Apologies for the lateness, my personal life is indeed rather hectic at the moment. Thank you all for your patience.

Let's change it to RAID, played horizontally using the R from "raise" and the D from "dismay"
1 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 5 + 5 for Tolkien quote = 10

"‘Of course not,’ said Gandalf. ‘It is two hundred leagues or more in straight flight from Barad-dur to Orthanc, and even a Nazgul would take a few hours to fly between them. But Saruman certainly looked in the Stone since the orc-raid, and more of his secret thought, I do not doubt, has been read than he intended."
- The Palantir, The Two Towers

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

Had Afird's courage been sucked out of him by some unknown force? Had something hidden in the time travel space that had brought him from Gondor to this dank, wet place (IT IS RAINING IN SCARY, RAINING CATS AND DOGS) taken all, and now he could not prove his mettle? Here he was, standing behind three hobbit lasses who were standing behind a lone hobbit, who courageously faced the shed door with only his 'nice stick'. And it was a false alarm, for it had been Rilla Banks' head that had opened the door all the while and not a Mewlip. Still, it was dark in the shed.

Calling out, he said. 'Light! We need light before we go into the shed.' And finding some courage, he moved out from his hiding place behind the ladies and said, 'Where is that confounded broom?' Although the rain would probably quench the flint before he could ignite the broom.

'Uh, maybe we should all rush into the shed together, holding the broom in front of us, and take our chances, eh? It will get us out of the downpour, at least.'

*V I G A A G F*
*A N BLANK L E N B*
*N T U T V Z S*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E U E T R O*

SCOREBOARD
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/ Lorenzo Pee - 26+13+10= 49 pts

Fuchsia Meadowsweet/@ Pele Alarion, you have 48 hours to make your play. Good luck!

High Warden of Tower
Fuchsia Meadowsweet

She already took her spade (just in case there was someone or something to smack with it inside the shed), but before she could make a move, Rilla all but flew down the hill and into the door. At least Tarquinius did not contribute to the crash, though he did not properly go inside the shed either.

"Well," Fuchsia said resolutely, much encouraged by the rain. "It can't be that bad in there, can it, Mr Dwarf?"

Brandishing the spade as if it was a sword, Fuchsia marched for the shed, stepped over Rill and squeezed by Tarquinius.

"It certainly is dark in here, so I have no clue if there are any Mewlips here, or any snacks to be had. Bring the broom to the doorway and light it? You don't need to come all the way in, no?" she tried to encourage Afird, while she herself moved closer to the door as well. Darkness was not all that pleasant after all.

"Need a hand up?" she asked Rilla, ready to assist - with the hand not holding the spade.

~~~~~
Playing STUNT vertically, using T of GRIST as the second (last) T:
STUNT = 1+1+1+1+1 = 5 x 2 (DW) = 10
Total = 10

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

The spade wielder, Fuchsia Meadowsweet, stepped right up in the pouring rain to the challenge, pushing the others out of her way; her spade looked like a spike of steel, ready to dive into any beast (be it ghoul, ghost, goblin or Mewlip) that was in the shed. When she asked him, "It can't be that bad in there, can it, Mr Dwarf?" Afird bowed, wiped the rain from his face, found more courage (but not all), and moved behind her, saying, "Not with you in the lead, good hobbit.'
He bent down and picked up the broom beside the young hobbit Rilla, who was likely lying in a puddle of muddy water and must indeed have a sore head after her crash. He then took his tinderbox out and handed the broom to Tarquinius Fieldhopper while the brave spade wielder, Fuchsia, offered the down Rilla a hand. He looked hopefully at the hobbit, Fiildhopper and said.
"Hold this steady, my good fellow, whilst I light the head of this here broom on fire, will you?" And just about to strike the flint to the tinder, he suddenly remembered the other hobbit, Elanor Starsley. Had a Mewlip grabbed her?
"Oi!" he said, blinking and looking around through the rain, calling out. "Where are you at, Elanor Starsley?"

Your seven letters are whited out between the two asteriks. Please highlight them to discover what they are.

*V I G A A G F*
*A N BLANK L E N B*
*T V Z C A D Q*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E U E T R O*

SCOREBOARD
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele Alarion- 30+32+10 = 72 pts

Rilla Banks/@ Lai, you have 48 hours (but will accept some delay due to RL) to make your play. Good luck!

GAME BOARD LINK

Ent Ancient
Rilla Banks

Splash - Rilla landed on her bum in a puddle. Her tail softened the blow.

Crash - the milk jug in her bag shattered and dampened her bag as well as her spirits.

Fuchsia extended a much-needed hand and Rilla yelped, "yes please!" Grabbing the other hobbit's hand, she heaved herself up with assistance and shuffled along behind the others. With a muddy bum print on her skirt and damp milk quickly curdling, perhaps her scent would be weapon enough to defend herself against the furr-ocious cat they were searching for.

Rilla sniffled (half from the chill and half from the scent) and rubbed her aching lower back. Holding a piece of broken milk jug, her voice trembled as she said in a song-song voice, "Pssss heeeeeere kitty kitty!! Niiiiice kitty!"

OUTER horizontally on the 1st T in STUNT
1+1+1+1+1 = 5
+ 5 [Tolkien quote] = 10
x 2 [DW] = 20

"In a chair, at the far side of the room facing the outer door, sat a woman."
- Fellowship of the Ring: Chapter 7, In the House of Tom Bombadil

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

"Oi!" he said, blinking again and looking around through the rain, now coming down in buckets. "Where are you at, Elanor Starsley?" He then heard a quivering voice singing, "Pssss heeeeeere kitty kitty!! Niiiiice kitty!" This almost put Afird over the edge. Although quite enchanting, cats unnerved him more than any other domestic creature. Now, a hobbit lass dressed up in a cat costume was a treat. But a cat slithering around one's feet in the dark, in a downpour, was a tricky trip. He quickly looked down to make sure this was not the case. Then, looking at Tarquinius Fieldhopper and cried over the sound of the rain.

"I think we must go into the shed without a light, my good fellow. What do you say, on the count of three?"

Your seven letters are whited out between the two asteriks. Please highlight them to discover what they are.

*V I G A A G F*
*A N BLANK L E N B*
*T V Z C A D Q*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E T O B T L*

SCOREBOARD
Rilla Banks/Lai - 27+28+20= 75 pts

Elanor Starsley/@Lady of Shadow, you have 48 hours (but will accept some delay due to RL) to make your play. Good luck!

GAME BOARD LINK

Orc Chieftain
Elanor Starsley

Walking around the village of Scary, Elanor wandered around the village to see if anyone else had any unsolicited questions for the mischievous young Hobbit lass. When there weren't any, she decided to explore Scary in the most unlikely places to see if the rumors of it being haunted by ghosts and spirits and various other things that go bump in the night were actually true. "I wonder if Krampus is among them." Elanor thought to herself, since she didn't actually escape when she first encountered him, just happened to hide in a place where she wasn't so easily found. The young lass wasn't sure if she even believed in him before naughty Hobbit lads and lasses began disappearing.

Wandering into a different part of Scary, young Elanor tried to shake the memory of Krampus and see if she could find any of these creatures that were rumored to be haunting the village. "I would give up my infatuation with the one Hobbit lad that wanted nothing to do with me if I could just run into Krampus again and explain to him that I'm not the troublemaker everyone thinks I am. At least not how they see it." Elanor thought to herself as she thought that she heard some rustling behind some nearby bushes, and proceeded with caution to investigate.

RAG vertically using the 'r' in outer
1+3(1x1x1TL)+2=6+5(Tolkien quote)=11

"I don't know how you feel with small rag-tag dangling behind you; but the rag-tag is tired and will be glad to stop dangling and lie down." - Merry, The Two Towers

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax
Afird called out Elanor Starsley's name several times but got no response. He decided that she was not in the vicinity. But to be on the safe side, he called out once more in a louder voice over the thundering rain.
"Elanor Starsley @Lady of Shadow ! We are at the quarry shed! We are about to enter it at our own risk. If you do hear me calling and you discover our location but not us, it means that a few Mewlips most likely ate us. Please advise our next of kin, if you wouldn't mind. Thank you, Elanor! Hope to see you sooner than later."

Then, turning to Tarquinius Fieldhopper, he sighed and said. "On the count of three, then?"

*V I A G F F O*
*A N BLANK L E N B*
*T V Z C A D Q*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E E T O B T L*

SCOREBOARD
Elanor Starsley/Lady of Shadow - 11+11= 22 pts
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/ Akhenanat - 26+13+10= 49 pts
Rilla Banks/Lai - 27+28+20= 75 pts

Tarquinius Fieldhopper/@Akhenanat, you have 48 hours (but will accept some delay due to RL) to make your play. Good luck!

GAME BOARD LINK
The Michel Delving Mathom-House (OOC)
Last edited by Drifa on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Balrog

The more moments passed Tarquinius by, the more he realized that maybe, just maybe, doing something so foolhardy as hunting Mewlips was not, perhaps, the best use of his time. If he stopped and turned back now, he would still be the Shire's foremost expert on ghosts, ghouls, and such, and he'd be alive to tell about it. He had a sinking feeling that whatever was here as going to eat him and use his femur as a shovel handle once it was picked clean.

He shook the thought away. Such gruesomeness was unbecoming of a hobbit, especially a hobbit of his status and stature. He was a pillar of the community, a stalwart friend and drinking companion. He was a fount of knowledge, a checkers champion, and a decent dancer. He looked at the two hobbit lasses, both a good deal younger than him. They were ready to go hunting Mewlips, come what may, why should he not be the same?

Resolved, he nodded up to the dwarf. "Aye, aye I suppose. One. Two. Three!"

CRASH

----------

UNREAL played vertically using the "R" in OUTER
0 + 1 + 1 + 3(1xTL) + 1 + 1 = 7 + Tolkien Quote = 12

"Aragorn looked at them, and there was pity in his eyes rather than wrath; for these were young men from Rohan, from Westfold far away, or husbandmen from Lossarnach, and to them Mordor had been from childhood a name of evil, and yet unreal, a legend that had no part in their simple life; and now they walked like men in a hideous dream made true, and they understood not this war nor why fate should lead them to such a pass."
- The Black Gate Opens, Return of the King

Bear Edit: ANON played vertically, using the "O" in OUTER
1 + 1 + 1 + 1(x TL) = 6 + Tolkien Quote = 11

"Sam was looking at Orodruin, the Mountain of Fire. Ever and anon the furnaces far below its ashen cone would grow hot and with a great surging and throbbing pour forth rivers of molten rock from chasms in its sides."
- The Tower of Cirith Ungol, Return of the King

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax

CRASH
Afird was in the shed. Suddenly, the lights got brighter, and a vibration went through his body again, like in the Gondor Pub, but this vibe had a dampness to it, a sharp edge that made one shiver. He turned to look through the doorway, unaware of Tarquinius Fieldhopper beside him. He saw the two hobbit lasses outlined in the dark, in the rain, and then the light blazed, and the outside was just as bright and suddenly "SWOOSH"! Scary was gone. The last sound heard over the rain was the dwarf's cry.