Mortal's Memoirs (Journals of Breelanders and surrounding areas)

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
Steward of Gondor

A quill scratches quietly on paper while candlelight flickers and dances on the walls. The fireplace crackles softly in the background as a peaceful evening concludes. A page fills with writing, and the author of those words sits curled cozily by the hearth in their home, sipping a cup of tea...

Or whatever setting best describes your character's chosen writing spot. Whether they write their journal/diary at home or elsewhere, at the beginning or end of the day, or all throughout the day. If they write detailed accounts of their day, or just key points that are important to remember.. if they record their dreams or goals or simply want to jot down their feelings, or write poems, or anything that comes to mind!

Whatever your character's writing habits, if they keep a journal or write down personal notes for any reason, here is a place where such things can be recorded, in character.

This thread is based on the Tethaid Haid thread, but this one is for the use of mortal characters, or anyone who dwells (or happens to be traveling) anywhere in the Northern region besides Rivendell. It is a safe place where you can record your character's diary entries and other personal thoughts and writings, and play with what sort of things your character might write if they kept a journal.

Please keep entries IC, since the idea is to enjoy writing the development of your characters through their own thoughts and memories, as if they were writing a journal entry, etc. Have fun with it, but please keep to the Plaza Rules. Thank you! :smile:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Steward of Gondor
Attubel Hûrphen

February, 3012

There is so little to do these days. The winter feels so long. The days are short, yet they seem to stretch on forever. Once the daily chores are done, the sun sets soon after, and there is little to keep anyone occupied. Therefore, I have gathered these papers together and decided to spend time writing my thoughts down. Perhaps, then, I can begin to sort them.

My father was a ranger. A very long time ago, before I was born. He used to tell me thrilling tales when I was a little girl. Tales about his many adventures. Tales about the friends he made, enemies he fought, places he saved, and so forth. I loved to hear about them. Sometimes his friend, whom I call Uncle Dae, stops by for a visit and those times were wonderful. But those days are over now.

Now, I live at this inn called 'Forsaken', and I see very few people come through here. But whenever a ranger comes along, I remember those stories my father used to tell me. I think about what dangers these men (and sometimes women!) must have encountered, the hardships they must have endured in their travels, and I try to deal kindly with them. What horrific enemies have they been battling against? Have they been traveling for weeks on short rations? How many nights have they slept on the cold ground, in all weather? I do all I can to help them be comfortable. Ensure they're provided with a hot meal, warm beds in a safe room for the duration of their stay. My father would have liked that, I'm sure. I also try to be extra friendly when speaking to them, for I know many rangers in these parts are treated with suspicion and even scorn by those who don't know any better. They risk their lives regularly so that regular folks can be safe in their homes, and then receive naught but suspicious glares behind their backs, and sometimes rude talk to their faces. These are my father's brethren, one might say. My kinsmen, and therefore I feel it my duty to give them what hospitality I can offer.

The innkeeper here, Elmore Greylakedoes not trust them, I think. He's a nice enough fellow, but narrow-minded and stubborn in his ways. But he and his wife, Bryanna, were nice enough to take me in and give me a job here. He doesn't deny a room to rangers who come to stay here, nor a meal (so long as they pay). Still, I think he would rather they avoided his inn. But I'm glad that they don't. I don't believe anything I say would change his mind, however. Mr. Graylake was even a little suspicious of me at first, when he learned that my father was a ranger. He knew Belegon Hûrphen as a trapper who brought furs to sell each year, not as a ranger. But he's come to accept that he needn't suspect me of anything, at least. Aside from being over-friendly to the guests, perhaps. A good thing, I would think, since part of my job is to bring food and drink to them!

But I've strayed from the thoughts I meant to put down here. My father was a ranger. My mother... Laerornil... I never knew her. She died when I was born, and I always wish I had known her. Father always said that I looked like her. He said she was a lovely person, not only in her looks. He used to tell me about her. At times, I could almost pretend that I did know her. She came from a village of Dunedain folk, though I have never been there, myself, and I believe that village is gone, now.

I don't know whether I inherited this from her, or if it's something completely new with me. But ever since I was little, I've had dreams. These aren't ordinary dreams, though. These come true. The problem with my dreams though is that they aren't usually the pleasant kind of 'dreams come true,' unfortunately. I don't know why I'm writing this down, since I already know about it and I'm the only one who should ever read this but, well, I am. Future me can read back on this and roll my eyes or something, I suppose. I don't remember the first time I had one of these dreams. I must have been quite small, but I remember having a nightmare and running to my daddy to comfort me. He assured me it was only a dream, but then the next day, it happened just as I saw it in my dream.

As I grew older, Father learned to believe me when I told him I had a dream that something was going to happen the next day. Now and then, I have a nice one, and I'm happy to see it come about. But other times...

That's what led me to where I live now. But I'm getting ahead of myself again.

It started in the winter of my seventeenth year. December. Actually, that wasn't all that long ago, now that I think about it. Father and I lived on a little farm out in the woods. He worked as a trapper mostly, but we kept livestock and grew a garden to sustain us as well. He'd go around to different places to sell all the furs he'd accumulated through the season, and that's how we made most of our money. This particular day, I woke up from a terrible nightmare. I still shiver to think about it. It was horrible, and I even feel reluctant to write it down, but I shall.

In the dream, a large group of armed men showed up at our little farm. They...I couldn't tell where they came from. Dunlending, perhaps, though some of them were fair-haired, like I hear the men of Rohan are. I didn't linger on these details. It was what they did that terrified me. My father was outside, chopping firewood, I believe. I, inside. Making breakfast, if I recall. These men stopped to speak to my father, asked him some questions. One of these seemed odd. 'You got any women here?' My father was suspicious of them, and rightly so. But one of them saw me, peeking through the window, and knew the answer. Before my father could do anything, they killed him. It was terrible, and I was so frightened. They grabbed me and began to take me away, and that was when I woke up.

Immediately, I ran to find my father. I knew that it was one of those dreams. He was already chopping firewood! I begged him to leave. I told him I'd had a horrible nightmare, and he was going to be killed, and that I would be taken away somewhere by evil men. I pleaded with him that we leave immediately, as fast as we could. By now, he knew that my dreams often showed what was about to come. It didn't take much begging.

Soon, we had left. We grabbed only what we could pack up in haste. We planned to go away only a day or so. He spoke of the Forsaken Inn. He said that he would take me there and then return to investigate our land. It should have been a good plan, I thought.

We had only one horse; Radril, our pretty appaloosa. Father had me ride while he led her. All was going according to plan until something went terribly wrong. There was a steep ravine, and it was rocky, and we needed to get down to the bottom of it. Father knew a safe way down, so he told me to dismount, and he would lead the horse down. But then something happened. Something spooked Radril, and before I knew it, both she and my father were tumbling down the ravine! Loose rocks tumbled down after them, and I was left at the top, helpless to do anything. Finally, at the bottom, they came to a stop, partially covered in rocks and debris. I hurried down as carefully as I could, praying that they were both alright. Both of them, because we needed the horse, and I would have hated to see it dead.

When I arrived, I realized that the horse wasn't badly hurt. Perhaps, a little bruised and shaken up, but she found her feet without much trouble. Father was a different story. I could do nothing for him. I cried for so long. I felt as if I couldn't do anything but cry. Until, at last, I realized I had to move on. I was so cold, I knew if I stayed, I would freeze to death there beside him. I gave him the best farewell that I could, and covered him with rocks, as the only burial available to me. I did my best to mark the spot, and then I got on the horse and traveled onward.

I didn't even know quite where I was going. I'd never been to this place. But I knew there was danger behind me, and I must keep going. Whoever those men were, they were taking women. I didn't want to know why, but I felt a rising dread of whatever purpose they may have for me, knowing they mustn't find me.

At last, amid a fierce blizzard, I found myself at a gate. All was white around me, bitterly cold. I had taken Father's coat, knowing I would have more need of it than he, now. Without any clear idea where I was going, I stumbled onward, leading my horse. It felt as if I wandered through the blinding white for ages before I ran into a wall. I followed it blindly until I found a door. My hands were numb, but I pounded the best I could until someone let me in. They gave shelter to my horse and set a hot meal before me. I didn't know who these people were yet. Thinking back, I couldn't really think straight at that time. I felt numb all over and inside, as well. My father was dead. That was all I could think of. When the kind people in the inn learned who my father was, they expressed grief. They had bought furs from him many times and were sorry to hear that he was dead. It all seems a little fuzzy now. I begged them to give me shelter. I remember offering to work in exchange for being allowed to stay here, and I insisted I did not need payment. A room and food would be enough. In the end, they agreed.

Here I am, still. I returned when the winter gave us a brief respite. Mr Greylake came along with me. We went back to my home and found it in ruins. My little flock of chickens had been scattered, but I was able to find and gather most of them together, and brought them back with me to the inn. Everything else that I had left behind was lost now for good, although we did give my father a better burial. After that, there was nowhere else for me to go, but back to the inn. I will make a new life here, and start over. This is my home now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Steward of Gondor
Attubel Hûrphen

February, 3014

I meant to update this journal regularly and then things unexpectedly got busy, and I forgot all about it. And now, here it is two years later! Wow. Anyway, I dug it back out because I want to write this down so that I never forget what happened today.

I might have died this morning, if not for an incredible stranger coming to my rescue. It started with one of my dreams nightmares, although I couldn't seem to recall it once I had awakened. I went about my day as usual. Regretfully, there was a very unpleasant, rude man who came to stay for.. hopefully only this one night, but I can't be sure. He demanded meat, so I went to get some. But when I went out to the smokehouse, there was a wolf there! Inside the smokehouse, helping itself to the meat, or what meat that it could reach. I suppose I startled it when I went to get something from there, and it would have torn my throat out if not for him. Gwestion.

I cannot put words to the way I feel when I think of him. He was like a knight in shining armor, though actually his sword was all that gleamed in the morning light. His clothing was travel-stained, muddy, and old, but oh, his eyes! They are such a lovely shade of bluish-gray, and such an intense gaze he has! He could hold me locked in his gaze forever, and I would not mind it at all. He is quiet, mostly, but it seems to me that when he does speak, he has something important to say. It's as if he saves his words for when they have more significance than merely in idle talk. I cannot place quite what his accent is like. Though he speaks in Westron, I can hear a hint of elven tongue in his speech, for I grew up hearing some Sindarin spoken by my father, and I can recognize that. Yet, there is something more there, which I cannot put my finger on.

I do wish I knew more about this mysterious young man. He seems so solemn and... what's the word I'm looking for? Melancholy, perhaps? As if there is some enormous weight on his shoulders, which no one can see, yet he feels with intensity. Yet, when he smiled, even just faintly, it made him look all the more attractive. Or, at least, I think so. I would enjoy getting to speak with him more. If not for the impending danger of the wolves closing in about the inn, I might have had that chance.

It amazes me how the rangers will run toward danger, putting their own lives at risk so that others may have safety. I watched, firsthand this time, as these three men did just that. For Gwestion was not alone here. He had his brother and another ranger here, to help him. It was terrifying. As the wolves surrounded the inn, those brave men, in the middle of a storm, went out and fought the beasts until there was no more danger. The Graylakes stayed hidden in their rooms until it was safe. Ironic, isn't it, how Elmore refused to believe Gwestion when he tried to tell him the wolves were a threat to his establishment. Said that they wouldn't get in here and that they'd never launched a full-out attack on his inn before and didn't think they'd do it now. That wolves were not clever enough to manage anything of the sort. Yet, when he began to hear the howling, he hid away with his wife and their two little boys, and wouldn't come out until I'd assured him it was safe.

It's funny to think about it now, I suppose. Though I can easily understand the man's fright. He has a wife and young children, and he is not a fighting man. He must have realized that if it hadn't been storming, his boys might have been outside playing when the wolves made an appearance. They said these were no ordinary wolves, and I quite believe it.

As they battled, I suddenly recalled what it was I had dreamed about. It was this! And Gwestion, my handsome hero, was going to die. I had to act swiftly to prevent it. To my everlasting relief, I was able to change the tide of events so that he survived the battle. We all did, even the rude guest (who did nothing to help, I might add).

Later, when the rangers had saved us all and gone on their way, I couldn't stop thinking about them. Particularly, Gwestion. He had left the inn, but not my thoughts. I couldn't explain it if anyone had asked, and thankfully they didn't. I was relieved that he had survived, but it was more than just being glad for the sake of not having someone die. But, rather, because I wanted to have a chance to get to know him. Because I felt as if he were far more important to me, or could be anyway, than just as a passing stranger. I wish he would have spoken to me more.

Why do I feel such a longing to see him return? What if I never see him again? Shall I ever forget him? I don't think I could. I will forever remember him, even if he never sets foot in this inn again in his life. Not only because he saved me, and the inn, but because I believe I may have lost a piece of my heart when he left here. He has taken it with him, though I know how silly that sounds. It is absolutely sappy. I almost feel embarrassed to write it down, but no one should ever see this but myself, and perhaps one day in many years, I shall look back and see what I wrote in my youth and laugh at how silly I must sound now. Still, I must write it down and forever remember the day that I met him.

How is it that a day can start so ordinarily, and end so vastly different? It's as if a single moment can alter everything for the rest of that day, sometimes even the rest of one's life. Now, all I can think about is wondering whether I will ever see him again.

Steward of Gondor
Attubel Hûrphen

April 5th, 3014

It seems odd to think about how only a couple of months ago, the inn was beset with terrifying wolves. Now, with the coming of spring, our biggest problem seems to be the rabbits and deer which beset the garden. It's the same every spring, I suppose. I recall battling the savage vegetable-killing creatures even as a young child, trying to keep them from slaying the garden as I helped my father. Since coming here to the inn, I've been able to introduce a few tricks and traps I learned from my father, but still the battle rages on. Okay, perhaps that's a little dramatized, but things get boring around here and my imagination, at times, is the only thing that gets me through.

It was on one of these dull, ordinary days that things suddenly became quite interesting again. Not because of anything drastic or frightful that occurred, like last time, but because we had some visitors at last. And it happened to be there very visitors I wanted to see most in all the world!

Gwestion and his brother(Glathorn? I ought to pay closer attention to what his name is, I suppose) found their way back to the inn! I had feared that I might never see him again, but now here he is. They are, rather. But it isn't quite the joyous return I had envisioned, for Gwestion's poor brother is sick, and that is, apparently, why Gwestion brought him here.

I was giving the guest rooms a good sweeping, continuing my own personal war against the spiders that keep trying to set up house in every nook and cranny, when I heard people coming down the hall. I stepped out to see who it was, and there he was. My handsome hero, supporting his coughing brother who looked quite pale and clammy. Elmore was tagging along after them at a distance, as if afraid to get too close. When he saw me, he stopped and made a motion toward the room I'd just been cleaning. "If that room is ready, please get the gentlemen situated inside," he asked. So, I showed them in and helped Gwestion get Glavren(?) into the bed. He looked awful, and I felt quite bad for him. Thankfully, I'd switched out the sheets this morning, so it didn't have that musty smell it tends to get after much disuse.

Elmore wouldn't go any nearer than the door, to ask if the room would suit them well enough. Gwestion answered that it was quite alright, and the landlord left. I suspect he was afraid of catching whatever the ranger was sick with. But I believe it's only a cold. He must have spent many nights sleeping on a cold ground, with rain and cold and other such unpredictable weather as spring usually brings us. After Elmore had gone, I asked Gwestion if he needed anything else. I'd have brought him anything he asked for, within my abilities. But all he wanted was another blanket and said he would be fine. Fine? I wanted to argue that he could surely do with a hot meal, and perhaps another bedroom for himself, along with a week of rest. But it would have been out of line, I suppose, and it was not my place to say such things. So I record them here, instead.

I felt quite concerned as I left them. He looked as if he were on the verge of coming down with the same as his brother. I couldn't help thinking about them the rest of the day as I was going about my chores. Then, I went to talk to Bryanna and asked if she might make chicken soup. I knew we had a hen that was getting older and not laying eggs as well, and hoped the soup might help our guests recover their health sooner. I talked her into it at last, though it took a little doing.

Later, I brought a tray to the ranger's room. I must admit that I felt very nervous doing so, though I couldn't say why. Perhaps I feared that the soup might be rejected, for they had not asked for it. But to my great relief, Gwestion accepted the tray with both surprise and gratitude. It gave me great pleasure to know that I had been of help to him. He even smiled (faintly) at me! I thought my heart might just leap out of my chest, and I can feel my cheeks getting warm even now, as they did then. Thankfully, he did not seem to notice me blushing.

After being assured that he didn't want for anything else, I left Gwestion to tend to his brother and enjoy the soup. I almost wish I had been the one who made it, in case he were to compliment it. Which is quite silly of me, I know. As I left, I paused at the door and glanced back. I saw him helping his brother to eat first, his own bowl set aside for the moment. It was quite touching, I thought, to see how deeply he cares for his brother. I wonder if he is the elder, for Glarthon(?) certainly did not seem to me like the more mature of the two, last time they were here.

I hope he will get over his sickness soon, for I know it must be miserable. Gwestion looks quite worried for him and I keep trying to think if there is anything I might be able to do to help them further. Perhaps something will present itself tomorrow, but for now it is quite late, and I suppose I must get some sleep. If I can get to sleep, that is.

Steward of Gondor
Attubel Hûrphen

April 6th, 3014

I got a surprise this morning. As I stepped outside to start on my chores, I saw that Gwestion was outside already. Kneeling down, just past the garden, near the edge of the woods that comes up to the fence. The sun had not fully risen, and the dew was heavy on the ground. A light mist hung about the world, though it would soon burn off with the dawn.

Curious, I watched him for a moment, but I could not tell what he was doing. I wondered briefly if he was digging up the plants, but why would he do that? I suspect he is the kind of man who does not do things for no reason, nor would he do anything that might harm innocent folks. Therefore, I ventured nearer to learn what he was about.

He must have heard me, for he looked up as I neared. Then, I saw what he was working on. He had killed a deer, and was cutting up the meat! Its tracks were all around the ground of the garden, evidence that it had come for a snack. The plants were only just beginning to peek out of the earth, so that would have destroyed the crops. I was speechless for a moment.

"It was not your pet, I hope?" Gwestion asked. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, but I found amusement in the question. I shook my head and reassured him that it was no pet, but a nuisance.

"Yes, I rather suspected the garden wasn't meant for the deer." He replied with that little smile of his. Oh, I think I love it. It brought my own smile out. I hope I wasn't grinning too much like an idiot. "You ought to have plenty of meat for a while, now." He added, reminding me that our smoke house was becoming rather barren. Had he taken a look inside? How else could he have known that? Or, perhaps he was only guessing?

"We are extremely grateful to you," I managed, though I felt quite flustered.

His vague little smile appeared again. "I hoped, perhaps, that it might help go toward the cost of our stay here?" He spoke with some hesitance, almost as if he were admitting to a conspiracy plot or something. "I suspect we may be here some time," He added in explanation.

I couldn't help wanting to laugh in amusement. "I shall ensure that it does," I assured him, but I couldn't get the smile off my face. I realized that it was doubly helpful that he had done this. Not only was that one less deer to eat up the garden, but we were now well-stocked with meat. He must know that. What a thoughtful, wonderful man.

"Do you need any help?" I offered, though I must admit I haven't much idea what to do. Thankfully, he turned down any assistance, though he did comment on the little traps that someone had put around the garden, for catching rabbits. I'm afraid my face was rather pink as I admitted my part in putting those there. I was surprised to hear him compliment me for the idea, and said it was well done. Pardon me while I take a moment to sigh in happiness.

I remembered that I had chores to do, so I left him to his work and went about feeding the chickens and all the mundane things I must do every day. I could see him hanging up the pieces of meat in the smoke house, and then doing a few other things. He came to ask me for a shovel, that he might bury the remains. Again, thoughtful. We certainly don't want the wolves returning!

The day went on, and I came later to bring a tray of food for the two brothers. Poor Gladrin is still coughing and fevered, and Gwestion was using a damp cloth to dab at his forehead. I hadn't noticed it this morning, out in the dim light of pre-dawn, but Gwestion was looking a little worse. I fear he shall be lying there fevered, next. I do hope it's only a mere cold, and nothing more serious. But I told him he ought to take some rest, and mentioned the idea that he could make use of the next room. I wouldn't have told Elmore, lest he try to charge them for the use of two rooms. But Gwestion insisted he was fine, though he thanked me for the offer. I suppose some men are just stubborn like that. At least each room has a little parlor sitting area where he can make use of a sofa to lie down on, if he so wishes. Though, I believe he is too tall to lie comfortably on it.

After I'd gone back to the kitchen, I remembered something my father used to do when I had a cold. He'd make me some tea using herbs which he said would make the cold go away quickly. Which plants though? I had to think back for a bit, because it'd been a while since I had a cold. Then I hurried to the garden to see what we might have growing out there. Not much, unfortunately, and the garden was yet young, although there is a patch of herbs that grow, partially wild, beyond the fence. These had been attacked mercilessly by the rabbits. Still, I was able to gather a few things together and headed into the kitchen to start a tea. I do hope I did it right, for I had to rely on my memory and that was from back when I was a child.

I felt very nervous as I returned to the room and knocked. If I hadn't done it right, Gwestion, a ranger, was sure to know and think badly of me. But he accepted the tea with a very sincere sounding 'thank you'. I suppose it must have been right, or he probably would have mentioned it. Or would he? Perhaps he is too polite to tell me if I didn't do it right. I'll have to just hope that I used the right herbs and in the right way, and that it would help. Maybe if I get a chance to speak to him tomorrow, I'll ask if it was right. Why am I so stressed about this tea?

Anyway, there are evening chores to be done, and then bed. I can't stay up late like I did last night. Hopefully our patient will be feeling much better in the morning.

Steward of Gondor
Attubel Hûrphen

April 7th, 3014

I was up early this morning, trying to get a head start on my chores. Perhaps, I half-hoped to see Gwestion out doing something else like he did yesterday, but he did not seem to be outside. Something had gotten into our chicken coop though, and I was quite upset to find a dead chicken, though I was unable to find the culprit. I'll ask Gwestion later if he might be able to give some insight as to what happened. If he doesn't mind, that is. I took the dead chicken inside to Bryanna, in case anything can be salvaged. The odd thing is that whatever killed it, it didn't eat very much of the chicken. It merely bit the head off and ate most of its neck, and left the rest lying there. Poor chicken.

Later, when I took a tray of breakfast to our guests' room, I was a little concerned to find Gwestion coughing a little when he opened the door. I told him he ought to get more rest, but he insisted he's fine. Of course he is. I had decided not to bother him with our petty chicken problem, but he must have noticed I seemed upset, for he asked me what was wrong. And that made me so happy, that he would have not only noticed that something was bothering me despite his condition, but that he cared enough to ask! So, I told him about our chicken being slain. He looked quite thoughtful as he listened, nodding slightly at different points. I don't know what's going on in that head of his, but he looked as if all the wheels of thought were turning. I assured him that it was nothing for him to worry about, because after seeing him today, I can't help but be reluctant to ask him to do anything. He didn't comment on that, and I left.

Later, I was sweeping out one of the rooms and looked out of the window. I was surprised to see Gwestion looking around near the chicken coop. I was curious, so I watched him for a minute. Was he looking for tracks? I couldn't quite tell. He poked around in the coop for a bit, and then came back inside. I'm not sure what he may have done, but I hope the chicken murderer will be caught as a result.

I took a few apples out to the stable and let the horses enjoy them. I figure that with Gwestion tending to his brother, and doing a few things here to help out, it's the least I can do to give his horse a little treat now and then. It's a pretty dappled gray horse, and she seemed to enjoy the apple very much. The other horse is a lovely chestnut mare, and she also enjoyed it. And of course, my own pretty horse, Radril, loved the apple I brought, as always.

Bryanna made a chicken pie for supper, and it was wonderful. I always do love the pie crusts she makes. When I brought the tray of food to Gwestion, it almost looked like he lit up at the sight of it. He must enjoy that dish a lot. He was very grateful and it made me very happy to see how pleased he looked as he took the food. Glathren looked a little better too, I noticed. He was sitting up and didn't look quite so sick. I asked if the tea had helped. Gwestion answered that it did seem to, and asked if there was anymore of it. I promised I'd bring some more to him later.

After that I had to hurry out to the garden to gather up the herbs that I had used in that tea, and hope that I could remember what all I had put in it! It was a little bit tricky, trying to gather up herbs that had been decimated by the rabbits and things, but I was able to find enough without taking the whole supply. Then I returned to the kitchen to start the tea going. When I brought the tea to their room, I could hear them talking among themselves, but I'm not sure what it was about. It sounded like they were arguing about something. I tried not to listen, but I couldn't help overhearing a little bit of it.

"I am not!" Gwestion was insisting, though I'm not sure what he 'was not'. His brother said something back that I didn't hear, and Gwestion sounded rather irritated as he told his brother to mind his own business.

I was a little embarrassed to have accidentally overhear them, and considered going back to the kitchen to wait a bit, but that would be silly. Instead, I knocked on the door before they could say anything more, and tried to pretend like I didn't hear anything as I gave them the tea. Glavren(?) looked very amused about something but I haven't any idea what it might have been. It's clear that he's getting better, at least. He's back to aggravating his poor brother, just as he did when they were here last time. I felt bad for Gwestion. He seemed annoyed but was trying valiantly to remain polite to me and not let on. I suppose brothers are like that. I wouldn't know, personally, but I've seen Elmore and Bryanna's two little boys when they're fighting.

As I was setting off back down the hallway, I heard Gwestion speak his brother's name in a sharp tone, most likely in reply to something that was said. It wasn't a shout, but more like an annoyed, warning sort of tone, like telling him to hush. I can't help wondering what those two are arguing about, but it isn't any of my business so I shall try very hard not to pry.

After all the evening chores were done, I settled in to write all these events in my journal. Goodness, I haven't been this consistent in writing in... well, ever. I suppose it's because usually, nothing exciting happens. As I was sitting here, about to wrap up, I heard some noise from outside. The chickens! I hurried to the window and looked out, trying to see what I could. They were squawking, but then it went quieter. I was debating whether I dared go out there and investigate, when I saw someone step out of the coop. For a moment, I was afraid. Was it a person who had killed our chicken yesterday? Were they doing it again tonight?

But then the moon slipped out from behind a cloud, and I was amazed. Gwestion was carrying something. It wasn't a chicken, but some sort of creature. That must be the chicken murderer! I don't think Gwestion saw me in the window, but I watched him take the dead creature away. What was it? A racoon perhaps? I couldn't tell, but I felt much better, knowing that whatever it was, it wouldn't be harming our chickens anymore.

I wish Gwestion and his brother would come by more frequently. It is nice having someone around who can deal with such problems, because Elmore certainly isn't any good at that sort of thing. He's really mostly a city dweller who thought he'd try running an inn. I hear him and Bryanna often muttering how they wished they could get someone to buy the place, and they'd move back to Bree. But I quite like it here, myself. Even if it is rather isolated.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight, but I suppose I ought to try. I shall be sure and write an update again tomorrow.

Steward of Gondor
Attubel Hûrphen

April 8th, 3014

This morning I spoke with Gwestion and learned that it was an opossum that had been bothering the chickens. The thing had hidden in the coop with them, sleeping in the day and terrorizing the poor chickens at night! I'm so glad he was able to trap it. I think I shall write out a list of all the things he's done that has been of help to us, and calculate how much he's saved us, so that when Elmore figures up the bill for their stay, I can subtract all these things from it. In fact, if Gwestion continues as he has been, we may owe him money!

Speaking of Gwestion, I fear he may be getting sicker, for his coughing is more frequent and it worries me. Though Glathrin(?) grows steadily better, Gwestion continues to get worse. I brought him the last of the chicken pie, and expressed how grateful we are to him for saving the rest of our(my) chickens. He seemed quite pleased by the gift of chicken pie, and although he didn't say so, I got the idea that it might be one of his favorite dishes. I shall have to keep that in mind for future knowledge. I do wish there was more to give him, but alas, it is all gone now and I have no intentions of killing another chicken.

After seeing how poorly he's feeling, I left Gwestion alone as much as possible throughout the day, save to bring them both some tea. The silly boy still insists he's fine, but I could tell he spent most of the day resting, when he could get a moment between coughing. When I brought the tea, he looked as if he had just awakened from a nap(perhaps unplanned?), and then I felt bad for disturbing his rest. I hope he gets plenty of rest so he can get better sooner. I wish there was more I could do for him.

In other news, it's begun to rain lightly. At least that will help the garden grow, though I had hoped for more pleasant weather. I just love it when the flowers begin poking up from the ground and making everything look so bright and cheery. I wish there were more of them. I miss the flowers we had at my father's house. He said my mother had planted them, and for that, I always loved to see them return each spring. Perhaps, one day, I'll venture back there and collect a few of them to bring back here. I think that would be nice, and perhaps make the inn seem more cheerful. Bryanna would like them, I'm sure.

Another guest arrived at the inn today. I suppose he came seeking for shelter from the rain. Not uncommon, of course. But I'm not sure I like this fellow. He has a shifty look about him and kept bothering me while I was trying to go about my work. In fact, I think he is the same creep who was here the day that I met Gwestion, when the wolves attacked. I remember having a very uneasy sense about him, and I got the same uncomfortable feeling today.

Serving him lunch was horrible and I'd rather stay far away from him from now on. He wouldn't leave me alone and even tried to pull me down to sit with him, and spoke quite obnoxiously, until Elmore had to order him to leave me alone. It isn't often we get rude people like that(it actually isn't often we have visitors at all) but when they do, it's very frustrating. I hope he isn't planning to stay for long, as I'm not sure how much more of his behavior I can handle. He actually had the nerve to make some obscene comments to me when I brought food to his table, and had the audacity to ask if I would join him in his room tonight. Disgusting! If he wasn't a guest here... well, he'd better be glad I have some self-restraint! It was all I could do not to slap him, but I certainly wanted to. If he bothers me again, perhaps I will. Elmore had to step in and warn him against bothering me. Said the man may just find the inn to be without vacancy if he kept up such behavior. I wish he would've kicked him out right then, but I suppose Elmore isn't much for backing up his threats. He tries, but he simply isn't a violent man, and I'm always afraid some ruffian will come along and just beat him up when he tries to make a threat like that.

Because of the rain, I tried to stay indoors as much as possible. Though, unfortunately, this meant there was more risk of having to deal with the annoying man. I spent some time out in the barn, just to get away for a while. But the animals are already fed, so there was little excuse for staying out there long. I took a little time to bring in an extra supply of firewood. Unfortunately, that was the last of what we had already cut. I'll have to ask Elmore to chop more, but he has so much to do that it's hard for him to do much at a time. Besides that, the poor man suffers from a lingering back wound that makes it difficult to do a lot of physical labor. Perhaps I shall go for a long walk in the woods if it dries up by tomorrow. I might find enough fallen branches in the forest to last a few days, at least. If Mr. Disgusting is still around, it will be nice to have an excuse to get out and stay gone for a few hours. Perhaps I might even come across some herbs growing wild that I was unable to harvest from the garden. Time to help with supper, I shall update more later.

I'm quite annoyed by Mr Obnoxious! I was trying to add wood to the fireplace in the common room and he kept making advances toward me, and made me very uncomfortable. Elmore was not around, so I suppose he took that to mean he could get away with it. The slug is very lucky that I managed to refrain from what I wanted to do. Considering I had a hot fire poker in my hand, it was really not a good time to be messing with me. Fortunately for him, I managed to remind myself that I mustn't attack the guests, but I was sorely tempted. I was very glad for an excuse to leave when Elmore came in and asked if I'd help put the boys to bed. I have a feeling he saw that I wanted to get away. I hope he had a talk with our guest once I had left the room, but I didn't stay to listen.

Will and Scott always enjoy hearing my stories, and since Bryanna was busy with the many other things, I eagerly hurried off to assist in some way that took me far from our obnoxious guest. I do hope he's gone by morning, for I have no interest in speaking with him any further. Anyway. Those kids are so adorable. I told them their favorite story, the one about Earendil, who killed the horrible black dragon Ancalagon. They insisted on hearing the song about Earendil the Mariner, and I couldn't help being amused as I gave in. I'm not sure it's the best story for bedtime but those two boys were begging to hear it, so what else could I do? Once I had finally got them all tucked in and cozy, I slipped off to my own room, so I could catch up in my journal before bed. Perhaps, someday, I'll shall enjoy telling such stories to my own chi-

Steward of Gondor
Attubel Hûrphen
April 8th, 3014

'children', I was going to write, before being so abruptly interrupted...

April 9th, 3014

A great deal has happened since my last update! As I was near the conclusion of my writing last night, I was interrupted by that horrible man forcing his way into my room! I had the door locked, but I suppose the feeble, old lock wasn't able to hold up to the mighty blow. I was so startled when the door banged open, I really didn't know what to do. I could hardly believe he'd dare to intrude here, in my own room. The audacity of that slug! I ordered him to get out, but I think he might have been drinking since I last saw him, and he ignored me and made a grab for me. I don't know, nor do I want to know, how it might have ended, if Gwestion had not happened along just at that moment. Thank goodness he did! He must have heard when I began yelling and throwing things at the intruder, trying to fight him and get away from him. I was just debating whether I could make use of my father's sword, which I keep on the shelf near my bed, and I was struggling to grab for it when my gallant hero came running in and yanked the intruder away from me.

Everything happened so quickly, I hardly had time to take a breath before I saw that Gwestion was fighting the creep with naught but his fists. I was worried for a moment that he might not be able to win the fight, knowing how poorly he'd been feeling of late. Though, of course, I should never have doubted him. He soon had the other man on the floor and was standing over him. He looked angry, such as I had not seen him before, a dangerous sort of glare on his face as he stared down at the slug. Though he spoke with an icy calmness, I could hear his fury in his voice as he ordered the creep to get out of the room, and added that he would throw him out of the inn completely if he had that authority.

I felt some of my own anger surface when the creep had the audacity to try and say that I had invited him to come, to which I declared that I absolutely did not! I was outraged, but also horrified. What if Gwestion believed those lies? He might come to think I was one of those sort of girls. I don't know if I could bear it if he thought that of me!

To my great relief, Gwestion did not even pause, but yanked him up and punched him so hard in the gut, that the creep staggered out through the doorway and into the hall. He ordered the slug to go, and said that he'd better not ever come near me again. I think my heart swelled about ten sizes, hearing him defend me like that. I shall take that as an indication, and hope it is true, that he did not believe the lies.

Once the creep had fled, my brave hero then turned to me and asked if I was alright. Honestly, the whole ordeal had left me feeling quite shaken. To think that a man could just burst into my bedroom as if the lock was not even there! What shall I do now that it's broken and useless? I didn't say all of this to Gwestion, though I did answer that I wasn't hurt. I'm a little ashamed to say my voice trembled a bit, though I couldn't bring myself to admit that I really didn't feel alright, but I thanked him for coming to my aid, as well as I could manage.

He must have noticed how much I was trembling, for he asked me if I was sure of that. It was sweet of him to be concerned, and though I didn't intend to tell him what had upset me so much, before I knew it, the words had begun to spill out anyway. I told him how the man had been after me all afternoon, making unwanted advances and saying rude things, and that it frightened me to realize that my door could not keep him, or anyone else, out. And I couldn't even lock the door now! How then could I hope to keep that slug out of my room? What would stop him from returning once I was alone again? I said as much to Gwestion before I'd even realized that I was saying all that, and I was still shaking a little when I forced myself to shut up. I wish I hadn't been so teary-eyed. Goodness, he'll think I'm a chatterbox, now. A chatterbox with no control of her emotions, and gets too worked up and overreacts to things...

However, Gwestion got such a thoughtful, troubled looking frown on his face as I brought up this matter, I realized that maybe he didn't think any of that of me. He took a long moment to examine the broken latch. It bothered me somewhat to see him so worried about my problems, for I hadn't meant to upset him. He ought to be resting, I realized. I had nearly forgotten, with all that happened, that he was fighting off a cold. And not quite as well as he had fought off that creep, I might add. But before I could point out that he ought to be asleep, he made an offer which quite caught me off guard.

"Would you rather spend the rest of the night in my room, instead?" He asked me, ever-so politely, while still absorbed in his examination of the broken latch. He must have realized as soon as he said it how that might sound, for his eyes widened as he turned swiftly back toward me. He looked extremely awkward... perhaps even a little panicked, which I must say was absolutely adorable. I thought his mouth was going to trip over itself trying to clarify his meaning as hastily as possible, "To talk. In the parlor, of course. So that you aren't alone... I certainly didn't mean-" Or something along those lines. I can't quite remember by now, every word he said, for there were many that came tumbling out in his haste to assure me he meant well!

By then I was struggling not to laugh at how comically awkward he had become, and so quickly at that. I couldn't stand to see the poor, kind young man endure anymore of his own awkwardness. "I know," I assured him, but I couldn't help laughing a little. What an amazing thing this is. How is it that he had so swiftly turned me from distraught tears to laughter? Another of his wonderful charms, I can only guess. "I know you didn't mean it like that," I was smiling at him, and felt so silly for it, but I couldn't help it. He's just incredible, and I feel ridiculously sappy for writing this but, it seems like every day I come to like him even more than the last.

"My brother is there, of course..." He continued to add, as if to confirm that he had no ill intentions at all, and to prove that it would not be only he and I in there alone.

"I'm aware," I assured him, and I had to look down to try and hide my amusement. I certainly don't want him to think I was laughing at him. I don't think I could forgive myself if I were to offend him, especially after such a noble and valorous deed as he'd done in rescuing me. Still, despite all that, I hesitated and explained that while I appreciated the offer, and I do know that he isn't that sort of man, I didn't want to impose on him or his brother. And then he assured me that there was no imposition at all, and he would rather know that I was safe from that man. I could hardly believe my ears. It was clear then that Gwestion was genuinely worried about my safety!

"After all," he pointed out, "he may return, and as you mentioned, you now have no way to keep him out." This he said with a deep frown, as if it bothered him a great deal. If he was trying to convince me to come and sit with him in his room, he certainly knew just the right thing to say. But I believe he had no thoughts of convincing me of anything other than to make me realize that my fears were quite well-founded. So, he didn't think I was overreacting? That seemed oddly comforting, for reasons I cannot explain.

Of course, some part of my mind screamed at me to think of how scandalous it could appear to others, for me to go with him to his room, at night, after everyone else was in bed. I know Bryanna would certainly not approve. She is very strict about things like that. Elmore seems to be protective of me as well, and I'm sure he wouldn't be at all pleased, if he knew. But I hold a great level of trust for Gwestion, and I'm quite independent enough to decide such things for myself. In the end, I agreed, because I was more afraid of the slug returning to my room than of what anyone might say.

Thank goodness I had not already changed into my nightgown before all this occurred, or it might have been tremendously more awkward for me to go with Gwestion to his room. I noticed, too, that he made sure that the door remained open, as if he was thinking of my reputation, or at least unwilling to be accused of anything unseemly. How sweet of him to think of that, yet I can't help being amused. I would have told anyone who dared make such an accusation toward him the truth of the matter, and set them straight right quick! But I understand his concern. Perhaps, he may have done it to make me feel more at ease. Whatever the case, I felt much safer there with him than I would have in my own room, after what happened.

It's strange, thinking back. Only a couple of months ago, I was wishing that I had been able to have a chance to get to know him better. Now, that chance has come, and I'm very glad for it. Although talking with him was a little bit awkward at first, before long we were conversing and discussing many things. He commented on the story I had been telling to the boys, and I was a little startled to realize he had heard it. He explained that he had come down the hall to get something earlier, and had overheard a familiar tale. Though I could feel my face was quite warm, I was pleased to hear him say that I told it very well. Any compliment from him tends to make me feel all warm and fluttery inside. I must sound absolutely silly, but it is the truth.

I noticed that somehow, during the hours we spent talking, Gwestion learned more about me than I did about him. Yet, I enjoyed talking with him, and I could hardly believe it when I realized it was morning already. We spent the entire night talking! Despite how wonderful it had been to spend so much time conversing with him, I couldn't help feeling a little guilty. I noticed many times that his voice sounded more than a little rough. He coughed a great deal, and was constantly sniffling and trying not to let on, and did his best to act as if he were fine. Still, it was evident that he felt awful, and many times I suggested that I could leave and let him rest, yet he insisted that he was fine and that he was well accustomed to sleepless nights. Stubborn men.
(I am rolling my eyes here, I feel I should mention.)

There was a point in our conversation which I hope will never leave my memory. Gwestion asked me if I would like to learn what to do if ever a man grabbed me again, against my wishes. I replied that I could think of a few ideas, and I was pleased when he laughed a little. Well, I say 'laughed'. He doesn't seem to laugh much, but he smiled and looked amused when I said it, and I'm taking that as a laugh. Anyway, I told him I would very much like to learn anything he could teach me, so he proceeded to show me a couple of ways I could break free from a man if such a thing happened again. For a moment, during one of these methods that he showed me, he had his arms around me. I'm afraid I may have been blushing quite deeply, but maybe he didn't notice. I tried to pay very close attention to what he was teaching me. I don't want to forget those things, as it could be important someday that I know those moves. I greatly appreciate him taking the time to teach them to me.

Upon hearing the rooster crowing, I suddenly realized that it was nearly time for me to get started on my chores. How the time had flown! It seemed like only an hour or so had passed since we began talking! I was actually disappointed for the night to end, but alas, I have no way of stopping the flow of time. It's unlikely that I shall have many other chances to spend a such long while talking with Gwestion again, but I shall forever remember this night. Particularly since I'm writing it down, so I don't forget any detail of it. Anyway. I returned to my room and freshened up before going out to feed the chickens and do all the other daily things I do.

Those things always seemed so dull and mundane before. Now, I'm not sure what I think of them. Feeding the chickens now brings a smile to my face as I recall Gwestion's kind efforts in ensuring their safety. He took the time to catch a predator that would otherwise have destroyed our flock, and for that I am grateful. He didn't have to bother with this task, as it wasn't his problem to handle. Yet, he did.

Tending the garden also makes me feel warm and happy as I remember how he ventured out before the dawn, so he might keep it from being destroyed by the deer. We depend on the garden to provide much of our food, and it's very difficult to keep the critters from eating it up. Aside from that, we have a great deal of meat now that we had not before, and that in itself a great help.

What might he do next to change my views on my daily tasks? Though, I fear that he is going to require much rest today, lest he end up as sick as his brother was when they first arrived.

I was relieved to learn, when I had returned inside from accomplishing my early morning chores, that our unpleasant guest had moved on. I cannot say that he isn't lurking around, waiting to return, but I feel better knowing he is not inside the Inn. The outer door has a stronger bolt, and we do employ it at night to keep those inside safe from things like wolves. This was reinforced after the wolf incident a couple of months ago, of course. Before that... well, it's a good, secure bolt now, anyway.

After breakfast, I set out to gather as much deadwood as possible. Though, with that creep potentially lurking about, I made sure not to stray far. I remained within sight of the inn, just in case. Within a few hours, I had gathered together enough to last another couple of days, perhaps. I'll have to gather more then. As I brought in the last bundle and dropped it into the wood pile, I looked up and saw Gwestion returning from the barn. Oh, my heart went out to him, seeing how exhausted he looked. I believe it is from far more than missing a single night of sleep. He keeps sniffling and sneezing, just like his brother was when he brought him in a few days ago. If he doesn't begin to get more rest, then I shall have to order him to go to bed. Of course, I'm not sure how he'll take that, nor how I hope to enforce it. He hasn't exactly listened to me thus far when I try to tell him to rest, but I do worry about him.

"Bel," he called in his poor scratchy voice, which then led him to coughing. Poor Gwestion. I waited for him to catch up to me, wishing I could do something to help him. "I was hoping I might find you," He informed me, which of course set my head spinning and heart racing. He was looking for me! What could he want? While I was trying to make myself appear calm, I couldn't help noticing how he seemed to shiver. Is he becoming feverish? Perhaps he ought to be in bed, sipping on a hot cup of tea. I could bring him some soup... oh, except there isn't any, is there? I became distracted by those thoughts and almost missed what he asked me. He was asking if he had my permission to... put a new lock on my door. Not quite what I'd hoped he would ask, but that sounded intriguing. Did he carry door-latches around with him, in case he needed to replace one? I was rather puzzled about this, but I answered that would be very nice, if he had one to use.

"I believe what I have ought to suffice," is all he would say. Again with that faint little smile of his. Perhaps he was trying to intrigue me, but he needn't be so mysterious. I was already quite curious, but I couldn't get any further explanation from him. While he got started on that, I made myself keep busy in the kitchen so I would not be in the way while he worked.

After giving him permission to enter my room, it occurred to me that he would be in my room for a little while. I suddenly worried that I might have left my journal lying open, but then I recalled that I had closed it. And put it... where? Was it on my desk? under my pillow? I was so tired from missing a night of sleep that I couldn't remember. Surely, he wouldn't go snooping. He's not that sort of person, I'm sure. Hopefully.

While I helped Bryanna with supper, I could faintly hear him hammering away. Perhaps he was installing a new door entirely? But that was silly, for there were no other doors to put there. Finally, Gwestion came to find me, and he seemed pleased. There was even a little smile on his face. I was eager to see this new latch he had installed, and when he did show me, I have to say I was impressed by how creative he'd been. It was so simple, yet I doubt any average man could break this anytime soon! He'd put a long nail in the door, which was then bent over so it formed a loop. He'd put another just like it in the doorframe, in line with the first. Then he handed me a horseshoe and showed me how each end could slide through both loops to hold the door securely bolted shut. Amazing. So simple, and yet so effective.

I couldn't think of anything to say except thank you. I wanted to tell him how grateful I was to him for this, or how impressed I felt by what he'd come up with, what with having so little to work with. But the words I wanted to say were being difficult and I couldn't quite find them, so I said thank you, and hoped he could tell how sincerely I meant it. Gwestion merely gave a little nod, with one of those tiny, vague little smiles of his, and then left. I'm trying to become more familiar with that. He is so quiet and mysterious at times, yet I feel almost as if his smile is speaking for him, saying what he means even when no words are spoken. Or perhaps I'm just imagining things. It could be that he's only trying to preserve his voice, as it is starting to sound terrible from all that coughing.

Once he left, I had a little while to myself, which I have used for catching up my journal. After supper, I think I shall go to bed early. I'm so tired now that I don't think I'm going to even care about finishing any of my normal chores. I can do those tomorrow. Now that my room is secure against intruders, I've no doubt that I'll sleep very soundly. And there is Bryanna, calling me for supper. Until next time...

(Not sure why I wrote that as if signing off a letter. Maybe Future Me will laugh, reading back?)

Steward of Gondor
Attubel Hûrphen
April 10th, 3014

I awakened late this morning, to the sound of someone chopping wood. Elmore must have found a few minutes to spare, for I had mentioned to him that the wood pile was empty. For a few minutes, I closed my eyes again, and imagined I was back home with Father. I tried to pretend that it was he out there. But that was only a distant dream, of course. For the sound was different. Father had worked much quicker, without taking a break in between each swing of the ax. That bothered me, and made me painfully aware that it was certainly not Father. Of course, I knew it was not, for I know perfectly well he is gone. It was a silly notion anyway, I suppose. But I do miss him, and some days I wish I could pretend he was merely off trading his pelts, as he used to.

I knew I was late going about my chores, so I hurried to get dressed and get started on them. And that was when I discovered that it was not Elmore out there at the wood block, but Gwestion! I had not expected that at all, and stared for a moment in surprise. It was obvious though, that he should not have been out there doing such a thing. He seemed hardly able to stand upright, let alone swing an ax. I can't believe he thought he was well enough to attempt chopping wood, the silly boy. I marched over there and told him he ought not be out here.

He mentioned that he'd noticed the woodpile was empty, and that I was gathering up sticks yesterday to use for firewood. He sure doesn't miss much, I noticed, even when sick. But still! "You're not well!" I told him, and honestly, I was more than a little upset that he was not resting, trying to get better. He tried to smile and tell me he'd be alright. Ha! Not if he keeps this up! I told him as nicely as I could, that while we do appreciate him trying to be helpful, Mr. Graylake would get around to chopping the firewood as soon as he was able, and there was no reason for Gwestion to feel obliged to do it himself. If he wasn't sick, I wouldn't have cared to let him do as much as he likes. It is really incredibly sweet of him to do it. But in his condition, he really should be resting!

Even as he tried to insist that he was fine, Gwestion sat down on the edge of the chopping block, and I believe it was because he was just too tired to keep standing any longer. It looked that way to me, anyway, however much he tried to hide it. He was shivering too, though it was a warm day, and he had sweat streaming down his face. That made me very worried, and I went to him and put my hand on his forehead before he could stop me. "You're burning up," I informed him, and insisted he go to bed and get some rest.

"It's nothing," He mumbled, stubborn as ever.

"It is not 'nothing'! You're very sick, and you need to be resting. Now go to bed!" I ordered him, for his own good. Honestly, are all men like this?

"The bed is occupied by my brother," He pointed out, but sort of weakly. Was that an attempt at humor?

"Well, then find another one." I ordered him. "There's an empty room next to your brother's, as I told you before. Now go to bed." As much as I like him, I was beginning to feel absolutely exasperated by how ridiculously stubborn he can be. I tried to sound like I had some sort of authority about the room. Not that I do, but I'm really quite worried about him.

To my surprise, Gwestion didn't even argue any further about it. That worried me even more. He just looked up at me with those captivating eyes and paused like he was thinking. I'm not sure if I was imagining the amused look there, or not. "Yes, ma'am," he said at last. There might have been hint of a smile there on his face, but I couldn't be sure. And then he stood up and trudged inside, like he was too tired to bother arguing anymore.

I followed him in, and looked around to make sure that Elmore wasn't around, then I gave him a key to the room next to Glardon's. I told him I'd come by in a little bit with some soup and tea, and that he'd better be resting. I tried to smile as if I was teasing about that, but really, how does he think he's going to get better if he doesn't get enough rest?

I finished up my chores and then took a few minutes to write down all I could think of that Gwestion has done so far to spare the inn on costs. He saved our chickens, that came to a lot. Even having lost the one chicken has cost us many eggs, after all. And then I added up how much we might have lost in the garden, as well as how much meat we gained from the deer, which will provide many meals. I estimated how much it would have cost us had we paid someone to chop the wood, and all other things I could think of. I want to keep track, so that I can be sure that Elmore takes those things into account when he writes up their bill. Hopefully, I can keep him from learning that they used a second room.

When I finished that, I brought Gwestion some soup and tea, just as I promised. Gwestion looked awful by then, the poor man. I spoke more gently now and told him that we (and I meant I) really did appreciate his efforts to help, but that I was very worried about him. He nodded but didn't reply. Hopefully, it's only because he's trying to preserve his voice, and not because he's mad at me. After I left him, I took a tray to his brother. Gl-however you spell his name, he seems to be getting better, thankfully. He isn't feverish anymore, at least, but still coughs a lot, and struggles with a runny nose. He expressed concern for Gwestion, and I told him that he was resting in the next room now. He seemed relieved to hear that. Apparently, he'd been trying to tell Gwestion to get more rest, too, and thanked me for managing to have some success in the matter.

This place is beginning to feel like a healing house, instead of an inn. And I'm the nurse, apparently. I spent a great portion of the afternoon going back and forth between the two patients, bringing them tea, soup, or just checking on them. I wonder if they have any family, besides the two of them? I hope they'll both be improved by tomorrow. It has occurred to me that I might catch whatever sickness they have. I'm trying to pay close attention to my own health, and if I begin to develop any of their symptoms, I'll be sure to keep well away from the Graylakes, especially the two little ones. In the meanwhile, I'll continue to try and help the ranger brothers get better.

April 11, 3014

Nurse Bel has been busy today, running back and forth between the two patients while also managing all the usual chores. Not much time to write, but little has happened anyway. Made myself sit down with a cup of tea and take a break, to ensure I keep up my energy and all that. Hope tomorrow will be better.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor

Uhta Halsad, of ‘The Spectre
Captain’s Log. Lond Daer. 3014 TA.

I do not like this country. Cold, grey, wet even on land. The North can not decide whether it is raining or not and is forever in a state of between. Hills here are so commonplace the flat is malignant with their tumour. Homes, such as I have seen so far, are small clutches of scattered cairns and caves. A sorry waste of stone, their walls can be kicked down by children who run off with the remnants to build yet more hovels. The people we have seen are pale, gaunt, ragged. Like starved wolves with fire only in their eyes. They wear their garb with no pride, bereft of colour; like mere tattered sails striving to escape their bones.

There is no joy here. I left it behind in that inn of Bree, and that even a shadow of home. We livened it with song a short time, and emptied their larders. They rely on vagabonds for game here, while tales of hidden farmlands worked by singing children .. seem unlikely to be true.

My mighty Spook haunts the great rivers, as ordered, needling her way inland. We have met no contest yet. It is almost disappointing. Kfir swore that the matter of the loggers was the less appealing prospect. Now I am not sure he has not stole the better of our chores. I tire of my own. I tire of the silence and begrudge calling my people to low voice. They hold fast, in spite of this grim death world we have come to. Where cold winds snatch the barest hint of song and thrust an icy fist down our throats.

Word of Matsu has come from the enemy’s harbour. At last. Sarabeth was forced to pay his ransom from the Ancient Ones. He was taken by a posse of their womenfolk. I can not feign surprise. The womenfolk this far north are mighty keen. Perhaps they hope that company might keep them warm. I might have took one or two with us but dessert is meant for the end of a feast and we have only started on our exploration a month or so.

Meantime my elder and not better sibling returns home in despair, citing betrayal by the Mole King, and boasts word that the Silver Snake is dead with no proof of it. I have nothing of more certainty to serve as a trophy as yet. Time will tell. It passes slowly here. I have no wonder why this land was ruined and abandoned. The ale is thin, and too few and far between.

I would to home with all haste. But I am required to remain. The Men call to try their luck with a hunt. The want for blood upon their teeth is clear upon all their ceaseless baying. I have asked the Shadow for a sign. They will mind my decision. They know what comes if they do not. They know as well that in my heart I have little more want to linger in this wasteland than they do.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.