The Mirrormere Editor's Office - KD Newsletter Planning Thread

And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.
Crafts Master
Stepping through a smooth stone archway, you walk down a rough, black corridor lit by torchlight. As you descend into the depths of the mountain your progress is suddenly halted by a door. Not an ordinary door which is locked unless you know the password. This door is wide open and framed, just within it, is a mahogany desk. Behind this desk is an elderly, but still very spritely dwarf. His desk is a mass of papers and empty ale tankards.

"Good day traveller, welcome to the Editing Office of The Mirrormere, Khazad-dum's very own newsletter, how may I be of service?" he asks, taking a swig from his pewter tankard and belching charmingly.

Notes:

This is the planning thread for The Mirromere, Khazad-dum's newsletter. The newsletter will come out monthly. The publication date of the first issue will be 19th June 2020.

Can I Write for it?

Absolutely! This newsletter will be a collection of creative works from all over the Plaza, each kingdom. You can write anything. A poem, a short story, a song, a painting, a pencil sketch. Literally anything at all. The only thing is it must on the theme. We will have a different theme each month. This month's theme is New Beginnings. So anything you create should be around that theme.

To sign up, all you need to do is pop a little post in this thread saying what you are going to do. Any questions can also be put in this thread.

Submitting
Once you have finished your piece, please post it in this thread. Please could all submissions be sent in by 12th June 2020. This gives me a chance put the newsletter together ahead of publication.

That's about it, lets get creative! Please feel free to ask any questions below!
Last edited by Thorin Firehelm on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thain of The Mark
Hi @Thorin Firehelm ! I'd love to write a piece for The Mirrormere--could I do a sort of little opinion column in the persona of my character, talking about the new beginnings at her small farm in the Eastfold?
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Crafts Master
@Thalionwen as long as it is on the topic of New Beginnings, of course! Thanks for dropping by!

Thain of The Mark
@Thorin Firehelm have you thought about promoting this in the Cottage of Lost Play? That might be a good place to find some interested writers, if not many people are coming across the thread here.
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Crafts Master
@Thalionwen that's a great idea. I'll pop in there now:)

Crafts Master
Can all submission be posted in this thread by the deadline?

Looking forward to reading them all!

Thanks
Thorin

Khazad Elder
The printing press seems to have stopped. Looking about her, Drifa calls out to the quiet room.

"Oi! What's the scoop? Greetings Thorin! I have some ideas I would like to discuss with you, if you have time to lend an ear? Thank you."
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Master Torturer
@drifa Thorin hasnt been on since June, so if you have any ideas, go for it! If you write anything bad about me though...

Khazad Elder
Thanks @Winddancer

Khazad Elder
PrePress Room

Last edited by Drifa on Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

High Lord of Imladris
So is this back open? Do you need a Foo correspondent? Or you know an Imladris one I could do one or the other... or both (can also do some art if you would like every so often)
Sereg a Dîn

Khazad Elder
Hi Fuin! It was open, but no participation in it since June 11. So I decided to try out a new concept and veer away from the old plaza paper. This is what I came up with. Here is the link - THE MIRRORMERE
This has not drawn any participation either, save for an old dwarf named Drifa. :googly:

Do you have any ideas?

High Lord of Imladris
I think that having three headlines to work from might be difficult I might suggest instead different prompts weekly. With the best making it to the headline page. Also the art part has me confused. I'm not entirely sure what I should draw as all of the pieces come with art at the moment. Where as a prompt such as doors of moria vandalized without the extras might bring in more activity.

Also the prepress room post above is not linked so didn't know where it went I believe I found it but didn't realize it was what I should be looking at sadly
Sereg a Dîn

Khazad Elder
I have linked the prepress room above.
Yeah, I was having a fun Sunday making the front page of the paper and didn't really give the concept behind the thread much thought. Basically I was unsure how to go about it and I just threw something out there. My bad.

So the headline page comes after the prompts, and then I guess so could the art?

By the way, thanks Fuin! It is nice to get other opinions and ideas.

Master Torturer
Another idea, just throwing it out there.. How about just using that thread for people to post their News Posts? Hmm how can I explain it, like just have the thread open for all to just make a random news post and not have to co-ordinate or get it approved, basically just post whatever news they want, though make it for dwarves/by dwarves?

High Lord of Imladris
I mean I really feel like the Mirrormere might be one of the few running 'news letters' so I mean if the prompts are dwarven based then it will be more dwarven no matter who is writing it might end up with some funny ones of an elf trying to understand a dwarven prompt.
Sereg a Dîn

Khazad Elder
Hi Windy! That is a good idea too. But when you wrote 'make it for dwarves/by dwarves' my eyes in my head went :googly: Can you give me an example, please. *grin*

Khazad Elder
Who chooses the prompts? Should it be The Mirrormere or The Mirrormere Reflections? I kind of like the The MR.
Last edited by Drifa on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Master Torturer
My idea was NO prompts, basically just post a news article, whenever, whatever. I included the dwarves as well it's a dwarven newspaper, so the news should be directed towards dwarves or written by dwarves (real or npc :P ).

Khazad Elder
Got it! I will try to work on a new OP. Thanks for the ideas.

Thain of The Mark
I think you might get more interest if people are also allowed to submit news from other nations, maybe something like each nation having a foreign correspondent:- 'foreign correspondent reporting in from Rohan, I'm here in Meduseld and... everything is on fire!!!' (I foolishly volunteer as tribute). Also, if some articles are based on in-kingdom events in other places it might also help encourage some inter-kingdom traffic, travel and co-operation.

In other news (pun intended) I'd love to do an agony aunt section, where one of my PCs respond to writers questions on any subject.

It would be particularly fun if people want to volunteer to provide both silly and serious submissions for me to answer?

Khazad Elder
I like that idea too, @Allacan ob Burzum . I have a banner. Can we combine all three ideas together?

Master Torturer
That was what I was saying! :P

Khazad Elder
Hi! But then it wouldn't be just dwarven related, right?

High Lord of Imladris
I'm in and volunteer for Imladris writing (could also do IK racing since I'm the fool bringing it back)

And I am okay without the prompts or if writers are having a hard time coming up with stuff you can offer those for them to give them an idea?

I like all the ideas and am just happy to have something to do and to help ^_^
Sereg a Dîn

Master Torturer
drifa wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:56 pm Hi! But then it wouldn't be just dwarven related, right?
I didnt mean dwarven related only, I meant it is written FOR dwarves (as in other kingdoms let the dwarves know what is going on in theirs by writing about their kingdoms) or BY dwarves (as in dwarves write about what is going on in KD) ;P

Khazad Elder

Welcome to Mirrormere Reflections, your Middle-earth source for daily breaking news, local stories, life, opinion, voices from the community, events and more. Please feel free to submit a story, or entertain us with your art or poetry. If you are seeking advice, you have come to the right place. Our Auntie Harriet is always on call. If you have a suggestion for an article you can post it at the end of your post. If you are unsure of what to write about, choose one of the suggestions.

• Please title your posts, in bold, with one of the following headers: Major News, Dwarven News, Foreign News, Entertainment and Special Reports.
  • Please leave signatures off.
  • Please mark suggestions at the bottom of your post.

Suggestion Examples:
There is a new Easterling minstrel in The Black Market. What is his name? I hear he has a nice chest, yes?
House of Healing in Minas Tirith has Healer Training. What does this training involve?
There is an Oracle sitting in a cave on the slopes of Zirakzigil. Has anyone visited this sage dwarven oracle yet?
Last edited by Drifa on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:47 am, edited 10 times in total.

Khazad Elder
I am a dwarf of few words. How does this opening post look?
Last edited by Drifa on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master Torturer
Wow that looks awesome!! Did you make that yourself?? :O

Khazad Elder
Hi! Thanks! Yes I did. I have two of them up there. My husband is not home from work yet and I can not decide. Which one do you like? What do you think of the thread now? Have I cover all the bases?

High Lord of Imladris
I like them both for different reason - The white stands out more, the grey is a bit more gentle on the eyes... Both work so I am no help there...

The new opening post looks quite nice love it and I think you've got all the bases that we've thought of covered.
Sereg a Dîn

Master Torturer
Didn't even see there was 2, duh! Hard choice, dang.. I think the bottom one, but I honestly love them both, so either is awesome whichever you end up picking! <3
And yes top post is awesome!

Thain of The Mark
It looks AWESOME! I’ll get working on my foreign correspondent’s report on Rohan; I wonder if @Elarith’s dwarf Amethyst could do a fashion report?!

The agony aunt is going to be called Auntie Harriet pwease. I know it isn’t a Dwarven name, but its a tradition I have to maintain.

Khazad Elder
Thanks @Allacan ob Burzum ! I am sure Elarith can do a fashion report. It would be under the header Entertainment and Special Reports
I have changed Aunt Agony to Auntie Harriet, which is dwarven enough I think - helm, home, power. *grin*

I will be revamping the main thread shortly.

Khazad Elder
ALL OOC CAN BE MADE HERE:

A LOOK BACK AT MR - MIRRORMERE REFLECTIONS
CLICK ME

Doorwarden of The Mark
@drifa I will try to write some kind of fashion article as @Allacan ob Burzum suggested - latest beard trends, axe-holder accessories, shiny things... something like that maybe. Amethyst would adore to be published as some kind of fashion guru.

Khazad Elder
Welcome @Elarith ! That sounds wonderful! As was suggested above, this newsletter is, to quote Windy, post 'whatever, whenever' . I look forward to reading your fashion article ☺️.

Thain of The Mark
@Elarith If Amethyst is going to be involved in this, am I allowed to say Shadowfox got involved as a foreign correspondent for Rohan through her, maybe as a way of making money for themselves after their recent confessions of money concerns?

Probably unnecessary to have a backstory to getting involved, but mostly I’m trying to avoid creating a whole new NPC for this.

Doorwarden of The Mark
@Allacan ob Burzum Sure!

Khazad Elder
Hi! Here is a link to the newsletter.

Guardian of the Golden Wood
Hoi MR Editor,
Your plaza always has unsuspected gems waiting to be discovered, and here is another. When is the next issue? Can I contribute please? I have several articles already in mind arising out of my long pursuit of justice for the riddle thread and I would very much like to do some serious reports on the problems that beset the day-to-day administration of justice on the plaza (favouratism, rank corruption, mythological judges, etc.). But I'd want to be looking also beyond the daily grind of investigative journalism and pen some more wide-ranging reports on current events on the plaza (both of them).
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Here is a first post I would like to write:

Guilty!
A verdict is finally in on the long-running Case for Lore. Members unanimously found the Dwarf guilty of fudging a riddle line and the mythical Lore Goose even appeared to bang the gavel and sentence the good Drifa to 3 months in the Michel Delving lock-holes. Remember, visitors are allowed.

(That is the post that I would like to write. Unfortunately, what I will have to write will be more like a criticism of the basic institutions of justice in the plaza because today we still seem a long way from this happy day.)

Basically, what about dedicating an entire issue to the Chubb-Baggins genealogy? We have seen that all other attempts to educate our fellow plaza members on the delicious niceties of your riddle fall flat. They are all riddle-deaf, one part of their brains missing. What can we do? Well is this not the proper job of the journalist? In this cynical day and age it is mistakenly believed that the job of the journalist is to invent fake news. Let us keep the plaza a place of Edwardian innocence and restore the true meaning of journalism. Let us EDUCATE our public.

We could have a spread of articles that go off from your riddle in 101 directions. We can keep the political hot potatoes (why are the admins so abjectly useless when it comes to riddles?) but also go off into gossip about Adamanta Chubb and the paternity of Albusbalbus, prose essays on the joys of riddling and the etymology of 'read', and an entire marriage section. Also we could set out the blood and gender issues that you so nicely pointed to in another post. And that is just off the top of my head.

What do you say to a special issue? Riddles and the campaign for Justice for the Dwarf combined?

Worth adding that current events on the plaza are well below the threshold of newsworthy, and this is unlikely to change any time before the whole place stoically melts into oblivion. So though some might feel that the Chubb-Baggins riddle is old news, it behoves such critics to make some new news themselves - then we might write about that (which to be honest, would be more fun; but we must work with what we have).

Nope. Having second thoughts on this one. It feels like chasing a perpetual motion machine again. I really wish someone to explain exactly what is what on the riddle, according to the ancient lore. My own brain is too boiled by the riddle and I need closure. So there is no point writing once again all the stuff that I do know about the riddle.

Can we find a way to pay *someone else* to write a report about the riddle case?

Khazad Elder
Ho, dragon! Here is a link to the newsletter. You can write under these headers outlined in the OP: Major News, Dwarven News, Foreign News, Entertainment and Special Reports, and Classifieds. :) As to whether justice has been served, the excellent dwarf is serving her time silently. There are no comments and no visitors at this time.

So I can just write anything i want for the newsletter and post it on the newsletter? Yay! Don't worry, I will consider the categories carefully. Let me know, though, if I seem to have got that wrong.

Maybe I should do a report of Aelfwine's visit to the plaza? Would make a change. However, I want this Lore Case done with, so my journalistic bent will likely be directed to the injustices heaped on the Dwarves of the plaza (that would be you).

I keep seeking news to write about. I just got modded 10 point for my activity and keeping the plaza... - but i cannot read the last bit because it falls of my screen, so it could be anything: keeping the plaza green, keeping the plaza a safe space for flying pigs, keeping the plaza free from baterial infection, who knows? but i had a long think and came to the conclusion that, while it may be the most interesting event on the plaza this week, it is not newsworthy.

But thank you @Arnyn.

Maybe an interview with [Bing]Bot, my fav. plaza member these days, or at least the one who I hang out with?

PS. Basically I had no inspiration, was bored, so went back to the usual plaza amusement fall-back: bugging the admins. Honestly, I'd like to take a different path but I'm all out of ideas.