The Children of Aragorn and Arwen

Discussions in Middle-earth lore, language and books.
Hasty Ent
"But Arwen went forth from the House, and the light of her eyes was quenched, and it seemed to her people that she had become cold and grey as nightfall in winter that comes without a star. Then she said farewell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and to all whom she had loved; and she went out from the city of Minas Tirith and passed away to the land of Lórien, and dwelt there alone under the fading trees until winter came. Galadriel had passed away and Celeborn also was gone, and the land was silent.

There at last when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring had not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea."

- Return of the King - Appendix A

'Here Follows a Part of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen'

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There is very little mentioned about the children of King Aragorn and Queen Arwen other than Eldarion, their son and heir. This mention of more than one daughter has been a topic of speculation and of fanfiction for decades. Is there a mention anywhere in any of the many published Tolkien books and letters that expand on these children of the realm? Years and orders of birth, etc? I have not found anything solid in my (admittedly limited) research. The Encyclopedia of Arda speculates in their entry on Eldarion that he was born around the year 30 IV:

"Aragorn's ancestors had tended to take over their duties as Chieftain at about the age of ninety: if Eldarion followed this pattern, this would place his birth in the years around IV 30."

In my rangering around the internet, the speculation and 4th Age created fanfiction around the Children of Aragorn and Arwen is rather vast and varied. In the little time I spent going through some of these 'Aragorn and Arwen's Daughters' fanfics; it was interesting that the number of children run from a canonically-set minimum of three (referencing the text from Appendix A) to as many as six (that I found). Most of these stories have Eldarion as the firstborn, but a few of the more interesting ones had him second-born or later.

Just for fun, I spent a little time going through a bunch of internet 'Aragorn and Arwen's Daughters' fanfics, and it was interesting that the number of children run from the minimum of three and as many as six that I found. Most have Eldarion as the firstborn, but a few of the more interesting ones had him second-born or later. Here is a list of names used...

• Nimloth
  • Vardarianna
  • Ellennanórë
  • Inzildûn
  • Andúnië
  • Ancalimë
  • Silmariën
  • Eruthiawen
  • Almarea
  • Erthoril
  • Eliominal
  • Evrindil
  • Annuihel
  • Gilrin
  • Celeblas
  • Melyanna
  • Telperiën
  • Gilraen
  • Orelien
  • Celebrenien
  • Celebrian
  • Elliniël
  • Alatáriel
  • Eldariën
  • Elarinya
  • Verya
  • Calaldhiel
  • Nimariel
  • Réwen
  • Eleniel
  • Domiel
  • Freaniel
  • Teliwen
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor

Melkor
Melkor
"Then she said farewell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and to all whom she had loved"

I like how in modern English this sounds like it implies she did not love Eldarion or her daughters.

It's interesting that you're finding fanfiction that has Eldarion as not the first-born @Hanasian. Is there succession drama in those fics?

Hasty Ent
@Rivvy Elf, yes there is. It was why I was searching for anything that specified that Eldarion was firstborn. It seems like it is only assumed. One for the most part was pretty good. Had a daughter firstborn and Eldarion born a couple years later. The drama was later when they were in their early twenties when the eldest daughter tries to convince Aragorn to instate Númenórean law in the reunited kingdom. It would make her heir instead of Eldarion. But to stick to canon it wasn't done, and eldest daughter becomes Royal Counsel in Annúminas to see to affairs in Arnor. I will find the link as I didn't save anything because it was late and I had a few beers... :wink:

New Soul
Hanasian: There is nothing known more than there is Eldarion and a several sisters. Everything else that seems true is all made up from assumption. I had once an RP about them, under the names of Rianne, Mayora and Idril, under the chapter of New Shadow. It will always remain a source for guessing and inspiration. All of Arwen's children are human and therefore mortal. Arwen faded as was foretold, laid down in Lorien and passed on.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Hasty Ent
Aikári Salmarinian wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:08 amHanasian: There is nothing known more than there is Eldarion and a several sisters.
Yeah that's what I thought. '... she said farewell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and to all whom she had loved...
Eldarion and at least two daughters. No names for the daughters, and no order of birth. All the various possibilities are alive and well in the realm of roleplaying and fan-fiction.

Melkor
Melkor
@Hanasian I personally think Tolkien would've included the names of these daughters had he lived longer. After all, he did end up naming Finwe's daughters. I recall years ago reading the Galadriel section in UT and I recall that was the last major thing he did, and given these daughters are direct descendants of Galadriel, these daughters would've ended up having names eventually.