Sir Gawain and the Princess of Elfland

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
Newborn of Lothlorien
RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: Please comment only here.

Andrew Land – Sir Gawain and Lady Bertilak

Originally published thanks to the Fellowship & Fairydust foundation at https://fellowshipandfairydust.com/2022 ... dprologue/

Subsequently published on my own blog at https://greengirdle.wordpress.com/2023/ ... f-elfland/

Notes: The following is my loose retelling of the 14th century alliterative Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, the narrative of which was reworked by me under the influence of J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord Dunsany, and G.R.R. Martin in order to make it coherent with another medieval poem of the Gawain cycle, The Marriage of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnelle, so to fictitiously restore what scholars J.R. Hulbert and Jessie Weston reconstructed to have been the original Gawain narrative, i.e. a Fairy Mistress story.
The journey of Sir Gawain is largely a product of my own invention, although many of the incidents occurring are based on the idea to expand the short narrative proposed in the Second Fitt of the 14th century poem, collocating it in a fictitious reconstruction of a possible medieval retelling of the original legend, still retaining a closer picture of what we may hypothesize to have been Post-Roman Britain in the fifth century. All roads, ways, and streets cited by name are (were) real, and all place-names are actual, or possible, modernized versions of original Welsh forms of real place-names, although the Modern English equivalent is not always given, nor is (even when extant and known) the Roman.

SIR GAWAIN AND THE PRINCESS OF ELFLAND
by Giovanni Carmine Costabile

PROLOGUE

The air was filled with the bitter smell of ashes and cinders, and the Trojan could almost taste it on his tongue. “The taste of betrayal”, he said to himself, because he still had a conscience, or at least he would like to think so. Among thousands of men, women, and children massacred and butchered by the Greeks, many of them were relatives, friends, or at least acquaintances of his, but this had not prevented him from selling their lives and their city to the enemy. Now there they lay, along the streets of the burning Troy, beheaded, pierced, mutilated, carbonized. Why had he done it? For his son, he would tell himself. Because the Gods had shown him a bright destiny in his dreams, provided Troy lost the war. But was any of those the real reason? Perhaps he was just evil, he considered.

However, his thoughts were soon interrupted by the arrival of a Greek patrol of twelve men. He showed them his safe-conduct, but their leader, a harsh man named Kratylos, thought it was not enough. “Aeschylos, Nymphaios, take him down to the Gates. Commander Amphitryon will judge his case”. “Aye, Sir”, they replied, then disarmed him and took him, each by one arm, on the street descending to the Outer Walls, a street they called Lithostrota because it was the first to have been fully paved, many years earlier. “You cannot… We have an agreement! You saw it! King Menelaos himself signed it! You saw it!” he complained, but he was already being carried away.

Commander Amphitryon was a terrifying man. Bald, with a long grey beard, demonic eyes in which one could swear to see flames even if the city was not on fire, he had a reputation of being merciless that his appearance certainly did not contraddict. “Count Aeneas, you said?” Amphitryon teased him, as though they were playing some cruel game. “So, you betrayed your King, your city, your friends and comrades, your relatives… and now I should let you go with your family, untouched, and with a rich reward, is that right?” Aeneas sighed: “That is the agreement. Menelaos, your King, signed it himself”. “And the agreement you mention was taken by Captain Kratylos, right?” “Yes!” Amphitryon unsheathed his sword: “But, even if that was true, why should I let a traitor like you go freely in the world, to perpetrate who knows which mischief at the expense of who knows whom?” The Commander had come so close to him he was spitting on his face as he shouted, and Aeneas had to close his eyes. “You would rather close your eyes than face your conscience, would you not? I can satisfy you! I will carve your eyes out of your skull, you Trojan scum!” Amphitryon yelled, but: “You will certainly not”, a firm voice stated.

Amphitryon turned the other way, the sword still in his hand, and saw General Odysseus before him. “Count Aeneas was key to the success of our cause, putting an end to the long war, and he and his family are free to go with as much gold as they can carry unhelped. Nymphaios, release him immediately! Instead, you and I, Amphitryon, will have to talk”. Amphitryon spat on the ground, then followed General Odysseus to be rebuked, while Aeneas thanked all the Gods of Mount Olympos within his mind. “Your offspring will rule the world, from the Springs of River Nile to the Stone Circle of Merlin, from the Pillars of Herakles to the Gates of the Earthly Paradise”, the unnamed Goddess from his dreams reminded him.

The Black Knight loudly issued his words of challenge, the dark horse-mane appended to his helmet unfurling to a sudden gusp of breeze in a stark motion recalling a hanged man dangling from the gallow’s pole. At the other edge of the jousting ground, Sir Gawain did not reply, nor did he display any sign of distress. King Arthur’s nephew was young, but unbeaten in combat, so he had no reason to be particularly impressed by the fact that the mysterious Black Night had unhorsed all his previous nine opponents.

Gawain effortlessly received his golden shield, flaunting a red pentangle sign, from his squire, who was slightly trembling as he handed it to his knight. The poor lad’s true name had been forgotten after everyone started calling him Shinks, after seeing him so much worried to always refill his knight’s cup at the feast of the King’s Day. He was a good boy, but had only seen a few winters after his first dozen, and scarcely a proper battlefield. When Gawain had taken him to the Fell Hills in the South to smite Gristir, the Cave-Troll, Shinks had stumbled over his own pants by trying to flee as Gristir caught him taking a pee when he tried to take them by surprise at nighttime. Although Gawain suspected the Troll’s laughter had been his very undoing way more than the knight’s steel, he doubted reporting the incident as it truly happened would greatly benefit the lad’s career, so he made sure both the King and the minstrel who composed the ballad were told how Shinks dreamt of the Troll’s ambush, woke up Gawain, and properly assisted him in the fighting. The only shortcoming was that now Gawain was stuck with this squire and could not ask for another one, not in a long while. As the trumpets sounded, “M… may the Lord as… assist you, Sir”, the lad whispered, but Gawain was already gallopping towards his opponent when his squire managed to finish his sentence.

The first joust was even, as both knights broke their lances against each other’s shield. The Black Knight shouted threatening words once more, and Gawain yawned, unable to figure out whatever the other said amidst the cheering of the crowd, and caring even less. He decided he would actually focus and unhorse that pretentious guy this time, so to prove everyone that the infallibility of that fraud was just a myth. “Don’t piss your pants again, boy”, he told Shinks as the latter handed him a new lance. “Going to pull the Black Blight to the ground”. “Aye, Sir. I won’t, Sir”. Then the trumpets sounded once more, Gawain lowered his visor, and started off on his white stallion Gringolet as fast as death comes to a beheaded man. The Black Knight’s momentum, however, was no less, and for a moment everybody was frozen, eyes clinging to the opponents’s ride, and the only sound that was heard was the mighty pawing of hooves. It was as though a dark storm of thunder was riding against a shining storm of lightning, and nobody could foretell the outcome. But eventually they crashed against each other as everybody held their breath, and in a moment it was clear that Gawain had in fact unhorsed the Black Knight, whose lance had instead once more crushed against the opponent’s shield, although its black point was still stuck in the middle of the gold-painted wood, right in the centre of the pentangle. Sir Gawain let go of his lance to unsheathe his sword, by which he put off the enemy’s lance-point from his shield, verily as an annoyed tablemate might shake crumbles off his vest. The crowd was cheering him very loudly, and a shower of flowers fell on the ground around him, as he courteously nodded his thanksgiving. But the tournament was not over: the opponent might still even the count in the last jousting, so that they would end up fighting by swordsplay in the melee for the win.

“No way I’m going to have to fight in the melee with him”, Gawain confidently declared to his squire. “I only hope that poor fellow doesn’t get his nose broken in the next round, or, what is worse, his neck”. Shinks shily attempted the best he could make off his smile, his missing front-tooth from their Troll adventure way too evident for him to pull it off. “You look awful”, Gawain abruptly remarked, causing the lad’s shivers, at seeing which he took pity of him and burst off laughing, as though he had been joking the whole time. Shinks timidly echoed his laughter, and Gawain patted his shoulder to reassure him. “Cheer up, lad! You will be able to buy yourself a small house by your share in the income of todays’s victory!” “G… God bless you, Sir”, was all he could manage to mumble.

This time the Black Knight was not uttering any verbal threat at Gawain, but only begrudgingly staring at him, as his horse’s paws bit the ground unceasingly. “This is going to be very easy”, Gawain thought, “when they lose their temper they rarely fight so well”. Just to be sure, he kissed the inside of his shield, where the Virgin Mary was painted, crossed himself, and recited Pater, Ave,and Credo. Now he could not fail. At the sound of trumpets, he spurred his stallion, and started his final ride. He could already see a weak spot in the Black Knight’s defence, and foretasted victory as an assured certainty… But something else caught his eyes as he gallopped towards his opponent: beyond the Black Knight, beyond the beaten track upon which they were riding, even beyond the bleachers crowded with cheering people, which his gaze now could somehow pierce, there was a vale of enchantment blooming with a thousand species of colourful flowers, and there, under a tree of pink bark, blue leaves, and violet-white flowers, a lovely maiden of astounding beauty, all clad in green, even green-skinned and green-haired, was looking at the sunset, sighing. Then, suddenly, she turned to him and said, as though she too could see him: “My dear beloved, Gawain, only to you I entrust the gift of my heart. I love you as morning loves the dawn. Please, come to me, for I am in dire peril, and only you, the most handsome and valiant of men, may ransom me…” Though shocked, Gawain was taken by an overwhelming desire to protect her, and could not help but to reply: “Indeed I will, but how?” The maiden smiled, as though reassured, then Gawain felt the burst of a very heavy blow against his chest, the whole world rocked and turned upside down, and he passed out before even realizing what had happened, still unable to think of anything else but wondering what the enchanting maiden’s name was.

The first thing Gawain heard as he woke up was his squire’s yell: “He’s alive! He’s awake! It worked!” “Will you shut up, Shinks, and call whoever was tending to me?”, he rebuked him. “Aye, Sir. Aye, Sir. In an eye’s blink”. In fact, Gawain barely had time enough to realize the pain he still felt in his chest and notice the poultice that had been applied to his sore wound when Shinks came back with the old herbmaster and healer, called Hylias. “Very, very well. You slept for three days, and missed the Christmas banquet at court, but everybody will be very pleased to learn you’re getting better so fast…” Gawain rose on his feet, interrupting him. “Getting better? I’m well and sound, my old man, and might just as well kick that Black Knight in the ass once more!” Hylias struggled to be able to at least have Gawain sit. He put a blanket over the knight’s shoulders and said: “Of course, of course, we all know you’re a young, brave knight, but you see… that wound of yours was pretty bad, and we don’t want it to fester, do we? That Black Knight of yours was no gallant fellow, I tell you, and he seems to have only had in mind the purpose to kill you, for he left Camelot without collecting his winnings. Of course, we wouldn’t even have thought of rewarding him if we already had known what I later learnt from tending to you: his lance was poisoned, but I am working on it. So, please, Sir Knight, be good, and stay with us a couple more days, until I finish the distillation of my miracle ointment… Then I will apply it on your wound, and you may be free to go, in time for the New Year’s Day feast! What do you say?” Gawain thought about it for a while and suddenly recalled the amazing maiden of his vision. “But she is in peril!” he exclaimed, powerless, as he at the same time realized he did not have any clue to start his quest in her rescue. The old man was still condescending: “But the Lady you’re speaking of, whoever might she be, no doubt needs her valiant knight in full strength before he can come to her aid, don’t you think, Sir?” Gawain sighed: “Alright, old man, but no more than two days!” Hylias smiled: “Here’s my good knight. Please do give me a voice, or send your squire, in case you need anything”. The knight shrugged: “That’s nice to hear. Thanks”. Shinks looked happy, but that availed very little.

Two days, however spent in bed with little to do, soon pass. Gawain found the advice of the old man had some sense after all, since he slept most of the time, which proved how tiresome it must be for his body to fight the poison. His sleep was troubled by visions of the Black Knight stealing the green maiden from him, but Gawain’s memory of those dreams was blurred, and he still could not catch her name. When he was awake, he lay in bed, thinking, trying to make sense of what happened. He did pray Our Lady, so how could She fail him? Yes, his thoughts would often chase the slender graces of young ladies, but he never dishonoured any of them, so why would the Heavenly Queen refuse him good fortune in his fighting? Then again, he wondered, what if instead the enchanting vision of the green maiden he had been granted was a blessing of Our Lady, and an unsought-for, different answer to his prayers? Would he rather have won the jousting but never been called by his beloved? Certainly not, he replied to himself, so he might as well stop tormenting himself, and instead he returned to praying the Blessed Virgin, especially for the maiden’s wellbeing and in order to be granted the favour of her name.

On the morning of the third day, Hylias bid him a good day and carefully massaged his chest by his hands covered in the miraculous ointment, and when he was done Gawain could feel he had no more poison in his body and the wound had perfectly cicatrized. “You will have to put up with this scar for the rest of your days, good Sir”, the old man explained, “but hey, I’ve heard the ladies love one or two of these on their men, so I suppose every black cloud comes with its silver lining, uh?” Gawain smiled: “If you say so. Thanks, by the way”. He stretched his arms, yawning, then got up and stretched his legs. “Duty, good Sir”, Hylias eventually replied, while Gawain stormed out of the building, shouting for his squire to fetch him his sword. “Good ol’ Sir Gawain”, mused the healer, “what would Camelot be without him?”

...TO BE CONTINUED...
Last edited by Ephtariat on Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newborn of Lothlorien

...CONTINUES...

The feast of New Year’s Day was impressive even for Camelot standards. King Arthur sat on his throne on a dais, Queen Guinevere on one side and Sir Gawain on the other, and at the same table were Bishop Baldric, Sir Lionel, Sir Kay, Sir Bedivere, Sir Gareth, Sir Gaheris, King Lot of the isle of Man, Queen Elinore of Provence, Lord and Lady Eotroun of Brittany, King Bran of Ireland, and Merlin, the Wizard. The magnificence of the hall surpassed the wildest dreams of the richest Roman emperors: from the ceilings hanged chandeliers in Egyptian gold wherein burned a thousand parfumed candles with a scent of lavender and pine; on the walls there were fresh garlands of mistletoe and holly, colourful tapestries woven in Persian silk from Tharsus, portraits of the ancestors of the house Pendragon all the way back until King Brutus, founder of Britain, and the heads of mythical beasts slain by brave knights, from the Medusa Caspriselya to the Dragon Gorshthraukor; and all the tables, not just the King’s, were filled to overflowing with all sorts of beverages and delicacies, even as a flock of servants came hither and thither from the kitchens to the tables to satisfy any guest’s needs.

At one point, though, in the midst of the din of merriment, as Sir Kay was going to propose another toast, the heavy gates of the hall suddenly bursted open, as though by magic, and cold came from outside, as snowflakes swirled in the air. Everybody fell silent as a horsed apparition made its appearance: a huge man, entirely clad in green, and even his skin, his hair, his beard, and his horse came in the same colour! Gawain gulped as he met the giant’s eyes, for in his pupils he could see the green maiden whom he loved, and he understood she was his prisoner.

It was Merlin who spoke first: “What’s your business with this court, enchanted creature? Speak, or begone, for we have no patience with intruders on New Year’s Day!” The Green Knight’s laughter in response was a roar that echoed throughout the hall, and mothers covered the ears of their children, lest they be frightened to death. Eventually the Green Man replied: “I seek for the champion who will answer my challenge”. “Well, there’s plenty of brave knights here, if you’re looking for a fight”, Merlin informed him, theatrically waving his arms to encompass the whole hall. “It is not the fight I seek, but an exchange of blows. Whoever agrees will strike me as he pleases, provided he comes to me in a year’s time to receive my blow in return”. The Green Knight grinned as he saw how those terms discouraged everyone. “Is this the famed court of Camelot I heard wonders being told about? You all look like a bunch of beardless children to me!” As he heard those words, King Arthur himself rose from his chair: “If none else, I will meet your challenge, Green Man!”

Gawain had been caught in the vision of his fair maiden once more as soon as he had found her in the giant’s eyes. She had explained to him that the Green Knight was her guardian, appointed by her father King Oberon of the Fairies to protect her virtue from any suitor, until the day came when her destined soulmate would defeat him and claim her as his bride. For four thousand years the Guardian had protected her, until one day her mother, Queen Madb, had chosen to be reborn on Earth as a mortal, a woman named Ygraine, for she had fallen in love with a man named Gorlois. Oberon eventually ruined their earthly bliss in marriage as he took human form too, as a man named Uther, in that form won her back, and conceived King Arthur with her, but not before she had given Gorlois two daughters, Morgan and Morgause. “Morgause? She’s my mother! Wait! But that means you’re like… my half-aunt, or something!” Gawain exclaimed to the maiden, in whatever weird realm of their minds they were speaking. “Theoretically speaking, yes. But you should be aware I am of Elven blood and a Fairy Princess, whereas you’re fully human, nevermind who your grandmother really was in Elfland. So, to all practical effects, we are not relatives. But the point I was going to make is that there is no King nor Queen in our realm now, for my father’s magic still holds me captive, but it is weakened, and my Guardian can now be vanquished by anyone who manages to defeat him on New Year’s Day. For this year I managed to send him to you with his challenge, so that he cannot be defeated by anyone else but who accepts the challenge, but I only could by accepting the terms he will behead you next year. You have to accept these terms, my love, and the magic of my father will make you an Elf, so that we can marry. Otherwise, next year the Black Knight will vanquish the Guardian, make me his bride, and claim the whole of Elfland as his own!”

Gawain had heard enough. He rushed to the end of the dais, took the giant’s green axe off his uncle’s hands, and said: “Step aside, Your Majesty. It is I, Sir Gawain, who will take this challenge”. “What? Why now, all of a sudden…” But Gawain was two steps ahead: “Camelot, who will you have risk his life for the honour of this court: your very King, or the worthless Sir Gawain?” As he expected, everybody approved his modesty and determination, yelling: “Ga-wain! Ga-wain!” The King gave up, and chuckling whispered to Gawain: “Well played, Sir”, thereafter to resume his position at the table.

The Green Knight, looking pleased by Gawain’s stand, ceremoniously kneeled before him, proffering his neck. “Strike, boy”, he said, “I’m all yours”. Gawain came to the giant’s side, and was about to do as he was bid, but then faltered. “What if I’m getting involved in something other than I have been told? There is so much phantom and fairy in what I’m getting into, and how do I know for sure I’m not being deceived?” Gawain doubted in his mind. The Green Man looked at him pitifully, and his red eye burned fiercely into Gawain’s soul. “Will you forsake her, ‘brave’ one? I may be the Green Knight, but certainly you’re only a green boy!” His laughter was so obnoxious that Gawain could not help but giving him the blow he had been so eagerly looking for, but, as the giant’s severed head rolled away on the floor, even being kicked off from under the table by somebody’s foot, King Arthur’s nephew did not feel relief at all.

Indeed, the headless body rose once more, under everybody’s flabbergasted eyes, collected his own head, mounted the green horse once more, and loudly spoke: “If you have a grain of that little thing we call honour, Sir Gawain of Camelot, come seek me in a year’s time at the Green Chapel!” Then, having so said, the Green Knight spurred his steed, rode away through the open gates, and left the castle, the heavy hinges turning by themselves to shut the portal after him, as though nothing had ever happened. “Now, this calls for a good toast, Sir Kay!” King Arthur remarked, and everybody laughed and resumed the merriment, forgetting the whole thing had even taken place. But Gawain’s heart was heavy and ominous, and he could not make much fun that night nor the day after.

What is a year in a lifetime? Here is Gawain on a balcony of the castle of Camelot, leaning on the balustrade, thoughtful, under the first moon of the new year. Any other time, the first moon of the year yet to come would probably find him on the same balcony, perhaps in the company of fair ladies, or maybe joking with a fellow knight. Not this year, though, for any company would be unwelcome, and not next year, for he will not even be in Camelot, and who knows whether he will see the end of the day. First, though, he will have to find that absurd Green Knight in his Green Chapel. Who is he, then, some sort of hermit, or monk, to live in a chapel? He certainly did not look like one, nor did his axe suggest great Christian piety. Anyway, how was his own condescendence to the nonsensical agreement to let the giant behead him going to save the still-nameless green princess and win him her hand? She made it all sound so easy: her father’s magic was going to turn him into an Elf, she had told him, and then they could marry. “It must indeed sound much easier “, Gawain thought, “when it is not your own head that is going to be chopped off!” But, even as he so observed, he recalled the tears on the enchanting maiden’s lovely cheeks and her broken, sweet voice as she timidly spoke, her heart visibly pounding in her soft bosom, and he could not help but sigh for her sadness, however incomprehensible the reasons behind it must for him be even after being told about them.

As the New Year’s Day incident had taken place at court before everybody, the rumours about it traveled wide and far, so that everyone seemed to understand Gawain’s concern and absent-mindedness, respecting his wish to retreat and avoid company and conversations any time he so would. Gawain appreciated their discretion, and once or twice forced himself to endure social exchanges he no longer felt a part of just to somehow repay their kindness, but it soon became clear to him there was no point for him not to follow his heart when his mind would anyway stray from any subject people discussed and even from actual events taking place before him. He took part in joustings, because that is what a knight does whenever he has a chance to, but even victory was tasteless to him, since there he could not vanquish his real enemies: the vile Black Night, whom nobody had again seen after they had unhorsed one another just before last Christmas, and the unfathomable Green Knight, whose appearance before the court at New Year’s Day would have now seemed like a matter of dreams but for the fact so many people had witnessed the occurrence, and his huge green axe still hung on the wall in the main hall at Camelot.

There were times, when the hall was not the theatre of the King’s hearings, when Gawain spent hours there, his eyes fixed on the Green Man’s axe, as though, by very sharply focusing on its appearance, he could somehow decipher the mystery of its wondrous former-master. There was no doubt the weapon was a product of the finest smithery, perfectly balanced, and very sharp-edged, even when months had passed after its last sharpening, Gawain observed when he had enough of just watching and resolved to handle it once more. There was a time when, as he hung the weapon back on the wall, he saw a flash before his eyes: again he stared into the Green Knight’s red pupil, like a flaming pit of pure wrath, as the giant rebuked him: “Will you forsake her, ‘brave’ one? I may be the Green Knight, but certainly you’re only a green boy!” However the last part was not flattering either, it was the accusation being uttered in the question that pierced Gawain’s heart as a pointy dagger. “Will you forsake her, ‘brave’ one? Will you forsake her?” he kept hearing, awake and in dreams, when strange powers of his mind conjured the mounted Black Night shouting similar accusations amid his threats. As the black horse of Gawain’s opponent chomped at the bit on the other side of the jousting ground, this time the crowd’s cheer was all for the Black Knight. Then again, “Will you forsake her, green boy?” the Green Knight’s severed head would ask, his headless body holding it in one hand, his other hand menacingly waving his axe as he rode in circles, laughing maniacally. At some point Gawain would wake up in his bed, covered in his own sweat, his heart pounding as a blacksmith’s hammer upon the anvil of his chest, his ears still echoing the cruel question, his mind still seeing that diabolical red eye. That was not the eye of someone who would spare him out of pity once he had come to offer his neck as promised.

In his desperation, Gawain once climbed the steep steps of the winding stairs leading all the way up into the highest chamber of Camelot’s topmost tower, seeking Merlin’s help in his study. The room was an overwhelming mess of manuscripts, scrolls, candles, jars, flasks, alembics, and every other sort of curiosities, ranging from the four-legged chest, walking about the place as though looking for something, to a glass bottle apparently containing perpetual lightnings, the flashes of which intermittently blinded any bystander. The wizard himself was sleeping on a rocking chair, but he immediately woke up as the knight cleared his throat, then Merlin got up from his chair, grabbed a wooden stick, murmured some formula in what might have been Latin, and immediately the chest retracted its four legs and returned a normal chest, while the lightning storm within the bottle stopped. “Now, now, now…” Merlin started, as though he and Gawain had been interrupted in the middle of a conversation, instead of being just then starting one. “As I was telling you, Sir Gawain, there is nothing I can do for you, because verily even though I gave you Excalibur the Sword of Kings, and Dyrnwyn the Fiery Blade, and even though I brought you Gungnir and Mjölnir, the Spear and the Hammer of the Gods, and even though I dressed you in the Helmet of Hades, the Veil of Isis, and the Armor of Örvar Oddr, and however you may repair under the shield Wynebgwrthucher, yours is not a challenge of arms, but a trial for your mind and a test for your heart, and all the help that avails you shall come from within, not without”. As he was speaking, Merlin had heedlessly taken Gawain under his arm and walked him outside the door, so that, when he abruptly finished his speech, he came back inside, shut himself in, and gave the astonished knight only the benefit of a final: “Good day, Sir!” before returning to whatever he had to do.

Gawain had always been a pious knight, never missing the function on Sunday, and often confessing his only sin of lustful thoughts to Father Poc in the Church of St. George. Now, however, there was no room for lust in his mind, divided between the inexplicable, pure affection of love and concern for the Elven Princess, in which physical attraction was supersided by the fear of losing her and the desire to protect her, and the fight against the cold tendrils of fear for his own life and mind, always stretching in his bowels in the attempt to clutch his heart in their tantalizing grasp of terror and madness. Holy Communion was a great help in the fight, so he started taking almost on a daily basis, even when he had to attend Mass alone with his squire Shinks and a couple of old women from the village. Father Poc was very pleased to hear he had no sins at all to confess, however bored the priest must be of having to keep repeating him that, however Fortitude is a Cardinal Virtue, its opposite, fear, is no sin, and even a virtue itself, when it is fear of the God Almighty. But Gawain was not sure it had been the Lord sending the Green Knight to him, even as he could not be certain the Princess appeared to him as a Grace from Our Heavenly Mother, not to mention the fact that his enmity with the Black Knight might then only be God’s way to test him, or, still worse, one of Satan’s attempts to condemn a pure soul to his hells… And so Gawain could only pray, and pray again, and keep praying, his fingers running from one bead of his Rosary to the next, as seasons passed, and nature changed around him, changeless but for his getting thinner from fasting and his uncut beard growing longer and longer…

What was weird was how each day might seem endless, and yet weeks and months passed so fast: only yesterday, or so it seemed, Gawain had watched a bunch of children throwing snowballs at each other, and he had felt pangs of envy for their mindlessness, a condition he could barely remember having once lived; now the hills and fields around Camelot were a burst of colours from a thousand different species of flowers, and he could almost see the Princess of his visions under each blooming tree, even though none of them had pink bark or blue leaves… Then again, it seemed like only a few days later all those trees and plants started losing their yellowing leaves to a fierce, cool wind foreboding one more winter to come, and Gawain could not help but wondering whether he would just as easily lose his head under the Green Knight’s blow, his life only another leaf namelessly lost among all others in some corner of an unknown field. Not even Shinks could manage to cheer him up from those dismal thoughts…

On the eve of Michaelmas, Gawain announced before the assembled court that he would leave at dawn for his quest to find the Green Chapel. Many were shocked, either because by then they had forgotten the whole happening or because they deemed it absurd to abide to the terms of such an improbable bargain with a fairy creature. There were women crying, and many cries inciting him to let it go, not to give up his life on such an unlikely undertaking, so that the mess got even worse when Gawain proved to be adamant in his decision, and King Arthur himself had to rise from his seat to command everybody’s silence. Thus Arthur spoke: “We do not blame Gawain for wanting to honour his agreement with the Green Man. This is just what a man of honour and a Knight of the Round Table does, no matter what. However, I am certain that he understands his is going to be a long, perilous journey, even weather not going to be his ally, therefore he will undoubtedly accept an escort of valiant men I hereby put under his comm…” “Uncle, stop, please”, Gawain interrupted him. The brave knight had cut his hair and beard for the occasion, and he looked clean, handsome, pure of heart, and even mature, as though the long months of preparation for this moment had finally raised him to full adulthood, teaching him resignation and commitment, renounciation and responsibility, and lighting the vague flame of a flickering light in his eyes, the outward sign of unquenchable hope. “I must go alone. This is my quest to achieve and my burden to carry, and none other’s”, he declared. Even the King could not find it in him to reply, and fell back on his throne. Gawain met the tearful glance of his squire amid the crowd. “No, not even you can come, Shinks”, he regretfully remarked. “I’m… I’m sorry”, he added, as he watched the lad leaving the hall, sobbing. He did not feel much like staying there anymore, so hastily finished: “If you excuse me, I have the last preparations to make for my journey. May Our Lord bless you all”, then found his way out of a side door, never turning back. As he left, many of the eyes that were not already blinded by tears stared at the mystery of that ominous green axe hung on the wall, wondering what the whole happening actually meant. After nine months, Gawain’s doubts were the whole Camelot’s doubts once more.

That night Gawain almost did not sleep at all, only managing to find a brief moment of barely a hour of rest, troubled by unusual dreams, before having to wake up and take his leaving. In his visions of sleep, he could hear a woman’s voice crying in pain, and then somehow he found himself holding in his arms a green-haired newborn… He woke up suddenly, his heart beating so fast he could almost hear its thud, and he decided he had had enough to put up with. In a matter of minutes, without even having bothered to dress up, he was knocking so hard on the door of Merlin’s study one could get the impression he was going to wake up the whole Camelot. “Ouch!” the doorknob complained. “That hurts!” But Gawain could not stand marvels either. “I don’t care you’re a talking piece of furniture or whatever, you just let me in now or I’m going to fetch my sword and tear you down in pieces!” the knight threatened. “And you could also mention fire, Sir, but you see, Merlin is away and you can’t talk to him even if I let you in, so why don’t you just collect the present he left for you and return some other time?” the doorknob suggested. Gawain was surprised. “Present?” he asked. “Indeed, Sir. Merlin said you were going to pay a visit this early morning and left it hanging from a nail just before you, on this very door”. “But there’s noth… Ok, there’s a nail here, but nothing’s hang… Wait, what is this?” Gawain wondered as he took in his hand the invisible item which, once detached from the door, revealed itself to be a little opaque mirror in burnished gold. “Nothing less than the fabled Mirror of Saerin, created by Queen Aelendre, mother of Queen Qoelre, mother of Queen Madb of Elfland, almost eighty thousand years ago… Rub the surface, blink thrice, and say the magic word, and you will be able to get in touch with your beloved. But be careful: you may only use it thrice, then it will remain just a blurred piece of glass to you”, the doorknob explained. “Wait!” Gawain inquired. “What’s the magic word?” “Oh, yes, of course. How could I forget? The magic word is ‘hilly-silly-billy-gangandharbulus’. Hey, where are you going? Polite people say goodbye to each other before leaving!” the doorknob lamented , as the visitor ran back down the stairs. “You unrespectful scoundrel, wait till Merlin hears about this! He’s going to turn you into a slug, or something , I swear!”

As soon as Gawain was back into his chambers, he rubbed the mirror surface, blinked thrice, and uttered: “Hilly-silly-billy-gangandharbulus”. In the blink of an eye, in the mirror appeared the familiar picture of the lovely green maiden under the tree of weird colours. For a moment, once more, Gawain’s breath was taken by the amazing beauty of the princess. Her long, green hair, gently woven by a soft breeze, seemed to crown her in a garland of fresh twigs, even as her adorable pink eyes suggested an innocent mind who could only conceive tender, sweet thoughts… Barely a hint of a hue that might have been yellow-orange gave her cheeks the looks of two juicy peaches, even though her features were slender and thin, her movements graceful as a deer’s, and the lighter, lavender green of her lips suggested a thousand mellow kisses. As the princess got aware of her beloved’s presence, he took word first. “My love, I am about to leave and come at your rescue, but I just need to know more, and forgive me if I cannot wait but I do really need answers”. She smiled at him tenderly, and he felt like his heart could literally melt. “Anything for you, my love”, she said. He gathered his resolve to win against the absurd thought he now somehow had, to ask just for kisses instead, and asked her: “What’s your true name, sweetheart?” She blushed, and Gawain thought she was so lovely he might probably manage after all to collect his own severed head as the Green Knight had done if he knew by so doing he would finally meet her for real. “Don’t you know your own love’s true name, my dear Gawain, my darling?” Gawain felt suddenly dizzy. “You make everything so easy, Faebrielle, my love! I’m not an Elf like you! It’s not like I just know things…” She chuckled adorably, and he felt like a fool as he realized what he just said. “I knew you knew it! What else do you need from me, love?” she said, endearingly. “How do I get to you?” “Just survive”. “But…” “I’m sorry, love, but you only have one more question to ask, and I think you have a different subject in mind…” He nodded. “Did I see a son in our future?” “Indeed, love. And he’s going to be the most handsome man who ever lived”. Even though he knew the answer to the last question within him as he did for the other two, Gawain was shocked to have it confirmed, and as she blew a kiss in his direction before disappearing, he felt precisely like poets said one feels in the high ecstasy of love: as though his heart had been lifted from his chest and had somehow taken wings to fly on its own…

Eventually, just before dawn came, Gawain silently left Camelot on his faithful Gringolet. Besides the magical mirror, he carried his sword, shield, armor, and helmet, a bow and a quiver of silver arrows, but only a light baggage besides that, because he wanted to tread lightly, and anyway he could well afford to pay for many a room and hot meal along the way, just as easily as he could hunt or fish or make a fire in the wilderness. His uncle did not come in person to bid him good fortune, but sent a young page to give him his regards all the same. Besides him, he saluted Shinks, who was still crying like the evening before, his own brother Sir Gaheris, Father Poc and the two old women from church, and a bunch of young girls from the village, apparently all in love with him, and whom he all gallantly kissed, before giving a last glance back and venturing forward along the road.

Outside the West Gate, two main routes departed: there was the Portway, heading south-west-ward to Durngueir, the Roman Durnovaria, through Caer Gradawc, and then the Ermin Way, leading to Caer Cleu in the North-West through Caer Ceirien, which men now call Cirencester. Gawain could not explain why, but somehow he had no doubts concerning the road to take. As the first, timid rays of the rising sun began to light the landscape from behind him, he set his horse on the North-West track, following the Ermin Way. Soon the road entered the Frith woods, wherein he could spot the occasional pixie hiding in the undergrowth under some bush or behind mushrooms. The knight was wise enough not to bother them, and they repayed the courtesy not disturbing him either. They loved everything shiny, and could become a serious nuisance if they decided to steal some armour-part. When he emerged from the woods, the sun had come up, and he only had to ride a couple more miles before getting to the bridge over river Kennet, called Pont Goreu after some hero of the past. A mounted knight was guarding the access to the bridge, and Gawain recognized him from his arms.

“Sir Yvain, what a pleasure to meet you. What are you doing on this bridge?” “Good morning, Sir Gawain. I stand watch against the Jolly Company of Goch Mochyn”. “I see, but would you be so kind as to explain who these people are?” “Of course, good Sir. But, you know, that is the problem: they could be anyone. For soothly their leader, Goch Mochyn the Hobgoblin, not only commands twelve people of his kind, who raid men’s villages on nights of full moon in the shape of red pigs, but he also gives them twelve enchanted pig caps, which, once put on a man’s head, turn them into pigs and members of their brigade until they are killed, the cap is removed, or somebody disenchants them”. “That sounds like trouble, indeed. You cannot kill the hobgoblins, lest you kill some good peasant”. “Precisely my point. But I am going to prevail all the same”, Yvain boasted, flaunting a large smile. “How so?” Gawain inquired. “Because last moon I catched this one”, he replied, showing Gawain one of the pig caps, “right before it fell over a farmer’s head”. Yvain was very proud of the achievement and did nothing to conceal it. “So, this very night , the first of the next full moon, I am going to join their party, and I will not lose my mind by virtue of this”, he said, holding a green gemstone in his other hand. “The Emerald of Immunity. Its magical properties will let me remain human, but at the same time I will be able to tell which of the red pigs is a man, and which a hobgoblin, so that I can slay all the latter”, the knight concluded, evidently satisfied with his plan. Gawain nodded. “It sounds fireproof. Then again, what does it all have to do with standing guard on Pont Goreu, if you do not mind my asking?” “You will not believe it, Sir Gawain, but those hobgoblin rascals had the impudence to make their lair in the very Frith woods you are coming out of”. “I was wondering what was wrong with the pixies there. Never seen so many of them at once”, Gawain pointed out. “Blame it on Goch Mochyn and his band, yes. They must have thought nobody would suspect they dared hiding under Camelot’s nose”. “Too bad for them there is a hound here who caught their scent all the same”. “Considering it’s pigs we’re talking about, I’d rather say stench”, Yvain precised. “Anyway, I’m standing watch here until they show their ugly faces, then I will wear the cap and hide in their midst until it is time to strike”. “I wish you all the best with your fighting, Sir Yvain”. “And you with your Green Knight, Sir Gawain”, the other replied, making way for his interlocutor’s passage. After the bridge, the Ermin Way roughly followed the rivercourse of the Kennet upwards on the northern banks for about five more miles, until it crossed the Sule Road in a village called Draen.

Gawain had been often to Draen, but the place was nothing like he recalled. Upon asking the locals, he learnt how nearly the entire village had to be rebuilt after the Jolly Company of Goch Mochyn had conducted their raid two moons earlier, breaking down wooden walls, setting fire to the reserves they had not spoiled, and abducting three young men and two girls, who were reported to had been turned into red pigs like the rest of them. “One of the people they took was my older brother”, a young girl complained. “Valiant Sir Yvain is on their trail”, Gawain replied, trying his best to be reassuring. “If your brother is alive, he is going to come home soon”. There was no point not being honest, but apparently the girl did not appreciate his frankness, for she burst into tears. “I’m sorry…” he added, pointlessly. Probably, months of retreat, prayer and meditation had him lose his touch with people, but there was little he could do either way. He left Draen in the middle of the afternoon and followed the Ermin Way for about another dozen miles before making camp, as the sun was about to set. The road had taken him halfway up the hills over the Cig Oen Valley, and, even though it would have been still better from the top, he had a nice time watching the sunset beyond the hills as he consumed a humble meal. He must not be too far from Saith Crugiau, the Seven Barrows of the Fairy Folk, though he would have to go down west instead of up north-west to get there, he reflected briefly, almost casually, before falling into sleep.

Gawain was woken up by laughter after what seemed like an eternity. It was night, he was naked, he could not see his horse, and he was standing on a mound, surrounded by a thousand tiny, glittering, tinkering people of the Wee Folk. He shouted at them, furious, even forgetting how tact is essential when dealing with their kind: “What have you done to me? Where is Gringolet? And where is my stuff?” A gnome came forward. “Those things, like your own body, were too heavy to carry here, in the Land of Dreams. So, you only brought your dream body”. “So, you’re telling me I’m still dreaming? And when am I going to get up?” “Tomorrow, but it’s not going to be the day you think”. “And how so? Who are you, anyway?” “I am Glaxamarne the Gnome, Steward of Elfland in the absence of King Oberon or any heir. As I was saying, we have not stolen your body, nor your horse and earthly goods. However, you might still think that we stole something from you, something way more precious, especially given your present condition”. “What is that, gnome?” “Time. A month, to be precise. It’s the last few days of October”. “What? Why would you do that? I’m working in your best interest”. “We have no doubt about it. But the laws of our land are very strict, and we exacted your time in compensation for what you took from us. Consider yourself lucky, because you carry one of the greatest treasures, and all you had to do in order to be allowed to keep it was sleeping for a month!” “You mean… the mirror Merlin left for me?” But, as Gawain said so, he found himself holding the mirror in his hand, still naked, a few steps from his horse and his stuff, left under the tree in the shade of which he had made camp a month earlier. It was about midday, judging from the sun, and a couple farmers walking upon the road laughed at him, but he did not care. He had already wasted too much time, because of that stupid gnome, so he made himself ready and dressed up in his armour in a rush, mounted Gringolet, and resumed the Ermin Way.

Gawain could not even make it to Caer Ceirien that day before the sun fell, and it was little consolation to have reached the top of the hills, as wolf howls kept resounding closer and closer, and it even started raining. He decided he was better off fighting there on the top, since there was no way avoiding being surrounded anyway, but he would have the higher ground, and Gringolet would be able to help. As the first wolf appeared, though, the red glow in its eyes revealed the confirmation of Gawain’s fears: those were no common wolves, but wargs, demonic wolves possessed by damned souls. He unsheathed his sword Galatine as he recited an Ave, and the sword started glowing white, which for a moment halted the warg. Then again, other two wargs approached from other sides, and, as all three of them threw themselves at him, the best Gawain could do was rotating the sword around him as he dodged to avoid claws, in a maneuver which somehow brought him, unscathed, to behead two of the beasts. The third was kicked by Gringolet in the face and thrown against a tree, senseless. Gawain collected three branches from under the tree and, after beheading the remaining warg, impaled their heads on them and stuck them in the ground as a warning. The howls resounded ever more distant until they ceased.

The next day, Gawain descended into Caer Ceirien, and many people praised him for the three warg-heads he had appended to his saddle. He needed time there to get information, so he bought a room at the Cock and Crow’s Inn and started by asking the innkeeper whether he had heard anything about a Green Knight or a Green Chapel. The innkeeper was only the first of a seemingly endless list of people who either knew nothing or hypothesized someone else might know, but at the end of the day no information was gained and Gawain wondered whether he should use the Mirror again, nevermind being thereafter left with only one use, for next morning he would have to choose between continuing to follow the Ermin Way north-west-ward to Caer Cleu or taking the Fosse Way north-east-ward to Lindon through Caer Clai and Caer Leir. It was already something to have discarded the south-western route, for otherwise he might also have had to ponder taking the Fosse Way in the opposite direction, to Sule, or even all the way to Caerwysg. Eventually he thought he could at least get to Caer Cleu before taking any other choice, and he enjoyed a night of sound sleep.

Leaving Caer Ceirien, the Ermin Way proceeded straight but for a few slight turns every now and then, at some point making a slight adjustment northwards, by this little change avoiding very cleverly a succession of deep valleys running to the west, thus keeping upon high ground instead. Past these, a couple more slight alignments paved the way to Caer Cleu, wherein he would get through the north gate. However, as Gawain was already in sight of the city in the distance, an arrow from above caught him in his left hamstring, right in the intersection of his jambs. He screamed out of pain, raising his glance to the sky, and, as he drew his bow with a silver arrow, he saw a fat figure riding a wyvern. Without thinking twice, he shot four silver arrows, one after the other: one missed, another passed through the creature’s left wing, and the other two brought the flying beast down a dozen paces from him, while its rider’s bow fell even farther off. As he got closer to his foes, Gawain determined the outcome of the other two arrows: one had pierced the wyvern’s throat from below, the other had gotten into the stomach of its rider, who had a red pig’s head and was crying for pain. “Let me guess”, Gawain teased him, a fifth arrow aimed at his skull. “Goch Mochyn, right? Since you’re left alone, I take it Sir Yvain must have done a good job taking care of your Jolly Company”. The other sobbed. “I hate you Knights of the Round Table! You spoil all the fun! I’ll kill all of you!” he yelled, throwing a knife at Gawain. However, since a silver arrow had pierced the hobgoblin’s brain before he finished his launch, the knife fell on the grass between Gawain and him. So, after extracting the arrow from his hamstring and tending the wound as he could, the knight entered Caer Cleu limping and bleeding from his leg, but flaunting on his horse’s back the severed heads of three wargs, a wyvern’s, and an arrow-pierced, piggish hobgoblin’s.

Having made such a triumphal entrance in the city, Gawain was immediately brought to the castle infirmary to have the healers take care of his wound. He kept repeating they should find a way to tend to the wound quickly, as he was on an urgent quest and could not waste his time, but eventually they only agreed to let him go on the fourth of November, and just as an exception, because he recovered so quickly. The Lord of Caer Cleu, a tall, dark-haired nobleman called Erles, was waiting to meet him, so Gawain presented himself at court and told his story to his host, only omitting what concerned the Elven Princess and the Mirror of Saerin. The Lord listened with great interest and admiration, without interrupting, only eventually to reply: “This must be the most marvelous tale I have heard in a great while! It might be you are on the right track, after all, as I recall a very similar happening in a legend from Iwerddon I was told as a kid: the Irish hero Cuchulin beheaded a churl after his request, but he had promised to come back after a year to be himself beheaded by the same churl. Out of his bravery, or madness (who can tell the difference?), Cuchulin did come back, and the churl remarked that all the champions of Iwerddon but him had beheaded the churl but never showed up to honour the other side of the agreement. Therefore, he was so pleased with Cuchulin that he spared him and pronounced him the bravest champion of Iwerddon. Listen to me: you should head to the coast, and sail to Iwerddon”. Gawain thanked Lord Erles, but he added he would like to gather more information before leaving to Iwerddon, the island that the Romans named Hibernia, and that men now call Eire. The nobleman said he could stay as long as he pleased, but he would be better off not trusting the information gathered during the Feast of the Dead, which would last until the tenth of November.

Gawain spent three days at court in Caer Cleu courteously chatting with almost everybody in the castle, then visited the city as well, talking with commoners. Among all sorts of news and rumours, he could ascertain Sir Yvain had vanquished the Jolly Company as he thought, and he also heard that apparently there used to be a powerful wizard in disguise, named Wyrfynd, in Caer Cleu, one that had some mysterious connection with the druids of Lluddynig southwest of the city, but he was missing since the summer before the last. Furthermore, even though nobody had seen the Green Knight, or knew where the Green Chapel was, many people reported having met, or heard about, either or both a Red Knight and a Blue Knight, who were apparently rivals in the same quest of retrieving a magical item of sorts. They had last been seen at Mihangel Din west of Caer Cleu, apparently dueling over the honour to be the first to receive the blessing of the local bishop. The upsetting rumours, however, were those affirming a wyrm was attacking settlements in the north, which were already busy defending their people from ogres and outlaws. On the tenth day of the month, then, Gawain met an ironsmith who claimed he knew where the Black Knight was hiding, a couple days’s ride off the city north-east-ward, but, after following him for five days all the way into a barn in the far wilderness, Gawain was taken by ambush by the smith’s companions, and had to kill them all. Upon interrogation, aided by the threat of his Galatine, the man confessed having been hired by the Black Knight, who apparently was also the mastermind behind other incidents on Gawain’s journey, as the smith complained he would be devoured by the Knight’s wargs if he reported his failure. Gawain remarked how that was a possibility, but running away would be certain death when his master found him, so he should rather take Gawain’s message to the Black Knight, in only five words: “I am coming for you”. Then, he let the man go, and returned to Caer Cleu, this time bearing only the heads of two common wolves and a bear’s. It was late afternoon on the twentieth, only a little longer than a month before Christmas, and days were getting shorter and shorter.

Later, back into his room at court, Gawain resolved to use the magical mirror again. He took it in his hand, rubbed the glass, blinked thrice, and pronounced the enchanted word: “Hilly-silly-billy-gangandharbulus”. Immediately he found himself staring at Faebrielle, his elven love, but this time he found her under a cloudy sky, though veined in red-pink hues, as though a storm was coming on sunset. “We have little time, my love”, she said, visibly troubled. “The Black Knight is gaining power, as your chances to succeed grow lesser and lesser with each day passing. You have only two questions this time, and next time one. Think well of what you ask, but be quick!” she urged him. He had no doubts about the first question. “Where do I find the Green Chapel?” “It’s in Gogledd Cymru, love. Forgive me, but I cannot be more specific”. Gawain was relieved, because Gogledd Cymru, which in our language is called Northern Wales, was not that far. “It’s a great disclaimer, love, for I might have even embarked to Iwerddon. Thanks”. She smiled, and upon seeing her he felt an echo of the same joy he had experienced all the other times with her. “Now think well about your second question, love”, Faebrielle invited him. There was something which could greatly help his morale, he recalled. A question he had often been wondering about. “Did Our Heavenly Lady send you, Faebrielle, my love?” “Indeed, Gawain, my love, Our Lord is the King of Kings, so the King of the King of Elfland too, my own King as He is yours, and equally Our Heavenly Queen is the Queen of Queens, so the Queen of the Queen of Elfland too, my own Queen as She is yours. You chose wisely in asking for this clarification, for now I extend Her blessing to you”, she said, raising the palm of her hand, and Gawain felt bliss beyond bliss, and a flame was lit within his heart which nothing, he thought, could quench until he succeeded in his quest.

...TO BE CONTINUED...

Newborn of Lothlorien

...CONTINUES...

Despite the knight’s desire to leave for Gogledd Cymru the next day at dawn, Sir Gawain’s leavetaking from Lord Erles and the rest of the court was delayed by the arrival of the representatives of a huge crowd of escapees, fleeing from the town of Ergyng, capital of the vassal Kingdom by the same name, about fifteen miles northwest of Caer Cleu. Ergyng had been laid waste by the infamous wyrm Gawain had already heard of, the vile Chreibadsysg, killing the King and his retinue of brave knights in the fight. Now, the delegates could not ask for anyone better than the renowned Knight of the Round Table to undertake the enterprise to vanquish “the hellish nightmare”, as they called it. When Gawain said he might well accept the task, but he would not be back to Caer Cleu for celebrations for quite a while, the Steward of the Kingdom, a white-haired old man called Yswig, even offered immediate compensation in the only form they could afford, a magical necklace which reportedly allowed nightvision and constituted the only remnant of the treasure of Ergyng that they had managed to save from the beast. Gawain replied by unsheating the glowing Galatine and proudly declaring: “But truly I do not have to fear the dark already!” All the bystanders, including Lord Erles, were very impressed, for the dark hall, only halflit through a few, tall windows, had been fully illuminated by Gawain’s sword. Nonetheless, he immediately put it back into its sheath and added: “I will kill your wyrm, be assured of this, but I ask for no reward. Just do not await my return before a long while, certainly not before the New Year”. And, after these words, they finally let him leave the court and the city.

Sir Gawain passed through the West Gate of Caer Cleu and took the nameless road leading him westward through Din Forest, until it crossed the Din Road on the hills north of the town of Mihangel Din, whence both the forest and the road took their name, meaning ‘fortress’, which has remained until our days in the anglicized form Dean. The dedication of the town-fortress to Mihangel was, of course, meant for the Archangel Michael, under whose auspices Gawain had left Camelot, so he took a little deviation south to stop by the local church and pay his homage. It was upon his return from Mihangel Din to the crossing that Gawain met the Red and Blue Knights. Interrupted by his arrival in the middle of some dispute, after exchanging courteous salutations, they informed him that eventually, after fasting for two weeks and praying for a solution to their disagreements, the bishop they had met at Mihangel Din had settled their quarrel by blessing them together at the same time. Nonetheless, now that they had finally been able to leave, they could not decide whether their shared blessing required that they shared their journey, or their ways could part, since the Red Knight had heard that the Pearl of Wisdom had been stolen by Moelwyn Llir the outlaw, who lived in Wyrral in the north, whereas the Blue Knight instead had been told that the Pearl had been claimed by the giant Cawrdaf ap Clydan, who ruled the fortress of Celynnan, in the far south. Gawain warned them of the presence of the wyrm Chreibadsysg in Ergyng, but he had to witness how the information did not help them at all in taking a decision, because they both argued, on one hand, that having to face the beast would steal time from their main quest, while, on the other, avoiding the wyrm would be called cowardice. So, when he realized the two Knights were again so focused on their dispute they had forgotten about Gawain’s presence, he shrugged and took the Din Road northward, vaguely amused by the bizarre encounter.

The road went straight down, then up into what were now the ruins of Ergyng, but Gawain got off his horse Gringolet, as the latter trotted into the waste city, and he ran aside, hiding in a long, deep cleft in the ground, his sword in hand. Predictably, his stallion would ride in circles around the cleft, looking for him, as the plates of his harness loudly clanged and lured Chreibadsysg his way, who could kill it by stabbing from below. However, as Gawain heard the wyrm approaching, the claws of its legs scraping the ground in a rushed, serpentine fury, he wondered whether the wyrm might be so smart to realize his plans, and that thought saved his life. In fact, Chreibadsysg did not even stop before the cleft to check whether somebody was there, but immediately launched its ugly, birdlike beak into the pit, only missing Gawain by an inch! That little measure was enough to decide the match, though, as Gawain now had the monster’s head in the range of his sword, and, by the strength of no less than three, well-aimed blows in a swift succession, beheaded it without compliments. Too bad that the head was too large to be added to those already hanging from Gringolet’s back, but at least he could take three or four teeth.

It was a huge head, three feet tall, three feet wide, three feet long, but what was even more appalling was the rest of the body of Chreibadsysg: a thirty-feet long, six-legged, winding succession of brown-yellowish scales, from neck to tail. Gawain retrieved Gringolet and made camp in the ruins of Ergyng, lighting a fire to warm up his bruised body. He spent the next two days there, too, washing himself in the nearby river Gwy, tending to his bruises with the miracle ointment he had been given by Hylias before leaving Camelot, and getting the rest he deserved after his heroic feat. Wild beasts and monsters had started avoiding him, because even they feared the slayer of the wyrm, so he was utterly undisturbed.

On the third day, Gawain resumed his journey by following upwards the winding course of river Gwy, and he had a lot of fun hunting boars along the way, into the wilderness. Their tusks added another figure to his collection of trophies. On the fifth day after the killing of Chreibadsysg, which was the 26th of November, Gawain reached the town of Henffordd, whose Lord Cedrych could not host him as he was away hunting. While Gawain was taking some respite at the Sleepy Lion’s tavern, he was offered a herd of cows in exchange for a wyrm’s tooth. As Gawain kindly declined, the offer was raised time and time again until it reached two herds of cows, a herd of sheep, a hen, three cocks and a filly, when he realized that only after he left the tavern they would be assured he truly had no bargain in mind at all. Gawain spent the night at the Lazy Lass’s, but he had a bad surprise as he checked his stuff after he got up: the Mirror of Saerin was missing! After spending the whole morning in his enquiries, Gawain ascertained his precious had been stolen by a girl named Treiri, who apparently was a witch, and had been seen fleeing on her mare westward on the Old Road to Maen, the Roman Magnis. Gawain launched himself on her trail, but she had considerable advantage, and even by gallopping into Maen, as he came there she was already gone, reportedly southward on Watling Street. Before he could find her, Treiri had already reached the village of Byrn Bugeilio, on river Wysg. As Gawain broke into her house, Galatine in both hands, Treiri turned into a crow and flew out the window, leaving the knight to face an old man with a very long beard and a staff. The man pronounced a few incomprehensible words and Galatine left Gawain’s hand to start hovering in the air, attacking his former wielder. Gawain could not reach the old man because the sword protected him, but at least he could retrieve the mirror. Being the challenge beyond his powers, before he might get killed, he used his shield to protect himself while his other hand rubbed the glass, then he blinked thrice and said: “Hilly-silly-billy-gangandharbulus!”

Being caught in his usual amazement at his beloved’s beauty, the vision of Faebrielle caused Gawain so much wonder that for a moment he forgot to defend himself, and his former sword pierced his right elbow. Anyway, the same wonder made him numb to pain, therefore he managed to keep staring at the mirror as he used the shield in his left hand to cast the sword back away, while Faebrielle said: “My love, I hate to see you suffer! Ask the question, please!” Gawain was sad at thinking he might never thereafter see Faebrielle again, but on the other hand he might well die if he did not ask, so he did: “How do I get my sword back?” Faebrielle did not even blink before replying: “The wizard’s name is Wyrfynd of Caer Cleu. Spell it backwards, then add: ‘Evaelululian caelandor’, and finally add your sword’s name and your own. Please keep in mind there is nothing wrong with the child. I love you, Sir Gawain, my dear. I will be waiting for you”, she said, then the light in the far west went out, and the whole glass turned black. Gawain’s shield had been almost entirely splintered in repelling Galatine’s attacks, so he had to dodge the sword as he spoke: “Dnyfryw fo Reac Uelc. Evaelululian caelandor. Galatine Gawain”. Immediately, the sword fell down, Gawain took it by the hilt before it reached the floor, and he pointed it at Wyrfynd’s throat, who gulped. “Who bought your services, wizard?” “Nobody”, he replied. Gawain pressed his swordpoint against Wyrfynd’s throat, so that a few drops of blood fell on the latter’s tunic. “Nobody bought me, I swear! That does not mean I was not blackmailed”. “I’m listening”, Gawain pointed out. “Treiri’s my apprentice and lover. The Black Knight kidnapped our infant son and threatened to kill him unless we lured you into an ambush and killed you. Now the three of us are all going to die!” “Calm down, old man. And tell your crow lover she can stop watching from the window and come in”. Wyrfynd made a gesture toward the window, then the crow came in and returned to the human shape of the young witch Treiri. “Listen, both of you”, Gawain said, keeping Faebrielle’s words about the child in mind. “However evil the Black Knight might be, even he cannot break the laws of Elfland, and I know for sure that by those laws no harm can come to your child. So, please, return to Caer Cleu together, as they still wonder there what happened to their wise wizard, and I promise you that, after I defeat the Black Knight, I will bring you back your child sound and safe”. “Rhys. His name is Rhys. And thank you, good sir”, Treiri said, to which Wyrfynd added: “Yes. Thank you, Sir Gawain”.

The odd couple hosted Gawain for four nights, before his miracle ointment managed to heal his pierced elbow well enough to travel, and also Gringolet was glad of being able to rest after days spent gallopping. By the time Gawain was back to Maen, it was December already, and when he was able to take Watling Street northward from Maen to Caer Urnarc through Breuan, it was even the eighth day of the month. Before reaching Breuan, Gawain was assaulted by a group of Wild Men of the Woods, and, in order to get well after that tiresome fight, he had to spend a couple more days in the town before leaving to Caer Urnarc, the capital of the vassal Kingdom of Powys, which nowadays we call Wroxeter. He arrived there on the fifteenth, after vanquishing the abominable ogres of the marshes. At this point, Gringolet was so burdened with his battle-trophies that he had to decide to keep only one head per type of creature. However, he kept all the wyrm’s fangs. King Angwyn blessed his arrival to Caer Urnarc and informed him that he had indeed heard of a place called the Green Chapel somewhere close to the Wyrral Peninsula, hearing which greatly relieved Gawain. However, the knight had to make it clear that he would necessarily leave the next day before sunrise, no questions asked, and no matter what. The King was slightly disappointed, but he had to accept.

That night, Gawain had a terrible nightmare. The scene was the same of the dream he had had before leaving Camelot, the dream that revealed him his future son, but now everything was wrong. To begin with, it looked like a memory, not the future, as Gawain was much younger than the present, being barely a teenager. As he held the newborn in his hands, then, he saw that the baby was black-haired, and this time Gawain did not wake up upon seeing him, but came closer to the bed where the mother lay. To Gawain’s horror, he saw she was not Faebrielle, but his own aunt Morgan! Besides, he realized how the younger version of himself was under her spell, because he bent over her and kissed her. “Name him!” Morgan commanded, as she took the baby in her arms. “Morfardd”, young Gawain declared. “And Morfardd shall be. I will raise him to be a warrior as great as you, and, who knows, maybe even greater. But you will now leave and forget about his very existence, until the day comes when you will ask the Red Lion about the Green Man”. Bewitched Gawain left the room, but Gawain the dreamer was forced to see Morgan over the years, raising their child in hate against his own father, until the day came when Morfardd came to Camelot in disguise as a Black Knight to claim his revenge against Gawain. When he woke up, horrified by his visions, Gawain left Caer Urnarc in the middle of the night and wandered upon uncertain pathways in the mist, losing track of time, his whereabouts, and any direction.

The mist seemed to envelope nature itself in the unearthly quality of his own, gloomy thoughts, and days seemed like years in that eery setting. At some point he realized being sitting on the ground instead of the saddle, before a fire he did not recall having lit. He casually noticed being hurt on his hip, but he did not care, nor was he in any mood to tend to the many scratches he could see on Gringolet’s legs. Besides, Gawain thought, the miracle ointment was finished, just like his provisions after the foxes came… when did that happen? Two, three, or a hundred days earlier? For some reason, the notion amused him, and he laughed out loud, but his was a bitter, hysterical laughter, one that could not cheer him up at all. He was desperately anguished by the mere thought that his dream in Caer Urnarc was true, that he had to be the sworn enemy of his own son, and he even wondered for a second whether he should give up Faebrielle’s hand to Morfardd, but his very instincts warned him against that option. Besides his love for her, he had been given to think his alleged son’s rule over Elfland would corrupt that blessed realm. But there was so much in that whole plot he could not understand at all… For instance, what was the meaning of the Red Lion, the emblem on the coat of arms of Ergyng, in Morgan’s prophecy? Why even letting him know, and why just then? But, then again, did anything at all still make sense?

He was stranded in darkness in a sea of mist, seemingly out of space and time altogether, and might as well be dead already, for all he knew. He might never find the Green Knight, and who might say whether New Year’s Day had passed already? After leaving Caer Urnarc, his memories were all jumbled together with visions and dreams… He could not use the Mirror anymore to ask his love for the answers he needed, just now when those answers could change everything. But of course the fabled Elven treasure itself was only a piece of junk to him, after he had finished his allotted chances to consult it. Even his collection of battle trophies, still burdening Gringolet, now looked rather dull, however further enriched by bull-horns, more boar-tusks, a couple of deer-antlers, and the fangs of two smaller wyrms. As he tried recalling the fight with the wyrms, which most likely was when he and Gringolet had gotten their bruises and wounds, Gawain instead reminded, or thought of reminding, having met once more the Red and Blue Knight at some point, this time quarreling about who between them should have had the honour to behead the other first. The queer thing was that each of them claimed the honour should belong to the other, who could not accept such a privilege, and wished to lose his own head instead. Gawain imagined how he might have told them not to fight over dying first, but over the honour to win back the Pearl of Wisdom from him, who had retrieved it after vanquishing alone the whole band of outlaws of Moelwyn Llir. Had that truly happened? Gawain wondered, but he fell asleep over the thought, dreaming weird visions of knights of all colours fighting over the right to rule all butterflies and other nonsensical pretenses.

As Gawain awoke from his slumber, he was covered in snow and shivering. The sun had come up, dissipating all the mist, but everything looked the same around him: a whitened, silent forest of sparse trees in all directions. Thanks to the foxes, he could not even have breakfast, so he mounted Gringolet without great enthusiasm (a feeling shared by his steed, who snorted), and resumed his search for the Green Chapel. He did not even know where to start from, since he had lost his way, and might even be looking in the same place where he had already been to, but he kept searching. Hours passed, and nothing changed, as he could not even detect the movement of a squirrel. Everything was still, silent, empty. Was he still dreaming? What if the whole matter, Black Knight, Green Knight, Elven Princess, and all, was just a long, unending dream he could not awaken from? What if he just had to find a way to wake up? Being distracted by such thoughts, he was convinced of the reality of his experience when he got a low branch of a nearby tree in his face, thereby being unhorsed and falling into the snow. As he got up, his sense of despair reached its climax when he saw that his horse was walking over his own hoofprints. The sun was rapidly descending into the West, and somehow Gawain retrieved his sense of time by realizing within his devout soul it was Christmas Eve.

Gawain mounted Gringolet once more and recited all the prayers he knew, especially interweaving a full Rosary to Our Lady with the Invocation to Saint Julian, Protector of the travelers, to find a good hostel for him and Gringolet to spend the night, be fed, recover, and be able to attend the Christmas Mass. Even as he prayed so, lo! In the far distance he heard a bell, and sighted smoke from chimneys. As he rode that way, he saw a majestic castle of great splendour rising in the middle of the forest, so he came to its gates, halting before the drawbridge, although it was not raised. A porter immediately appeared on the walls, asking who the traveler was, and, upon learning he was Sir Gawain of Camelot, apologized even for asking and, after opening the heavy gates, ceremoniously invited the knight to come in, welcoming him as the most important of guests and politely asking him to be followed before Lord Berleddisg, who apparently was eagerly waiting for him.

“Where are we?” Gawain asked the porter, as the latter escorted him through candlelit corridors and magnificent halls, after they had seen Gringolet was properly fed and taken care of in the large stables. “This manor, good Sir”, the porter replied, “is called the castle of Uchel Anialwch, and belongs to the stuff of legends”. “How so?” “’Tis said none may find it who has never been thereto before, unless their motivation is pure and blameless”. “I am honoured to hear so”. “The honour is ours, Sir Gawain, to be able to host such a paragon of valour and virtue”. “I truly do hope I will not disappoint you”. “You certainly will not, noble Sir”.

Eventually they reached what the porter described as the Hall of Thorns, according to him deriving its name from the huge hawthorn tree trunk that had been incorporated in the main wall. From its roots a high seat had been shaped, upon which a massive nobleman sat smiling, caressing his red beard. Lord Berleddisg did not wait for further introductions upon seeing them enter the hall, but swiftly got up and reached the knight, strongly hugging him. “Dear Sir, Gawain, how long we have been waiting for your arrival! We had nearly lost hope you would indeed come! Prithee, tell us, what in Our Lord’s name caused your delay?” Gawain was confused by such a warm welcome, but thought it only polite to reply by declaring himself at their service, although the first thought that came into his mind was that probably they had some dangerous task to assign him, like it had been the case with the people from Ergyng sending him to kill the wyrm. Lord Berleddisg chuckled, then said: “If you are at my service, good Gawain, then prithee, consider yourself at home, and make use of this castle, and everything herein, and everybody here dwelling, as though you were Lord Berleddisg’s Lord, and thence his most honoured of guests”. “I am certainly unworthy of such honours, dear Lord, but, provided it was a suitable option and not too much trouble for anyone, I would avail myself of a piece of bread and a sip of wine, a hot bathtub, clean clothes, and your kind permission to attend the Christmas function”.

Actually, after being escorted to his chambers, Gawain was bathed in rose-water by fair handmaids, who thereafter dried him, oiled him, and massaged him, then dressed him up in princely clothes, and served him a meal worthy of a Camelot feast! The knight had little time to ponder the reasons for such a generous treatment before being escorted to the Christmas Mass he had asked to attend: it was such a solemn, inspiring function, and for a moment he felt free from all his troubles, almost like if he had finally found his true home… It was just a moment of relief, of course, for he immediately recalled his quest as the reason to leave his only true home, Camelot. “I need to have a word with Lord Berleddisg alone”, Gawain thought.

That evening the whole court of Uchel Anialwch was assembled for a feast in the Hall of Thorns, and Gawain was introduced to the two Ladies of the castle, both of them hiding their faces behind a veil, and lifting it only to honour the knight who kissed their hands. The first of them, introduced as Lady Breifalire, was a loathly crone who must be the most hideous hag Gawain had ever seen. Her prominent, yellow teeth recalled the wyrm’s fangs, her eyes were crooked, even her lips had hair on them, and her complexion suggested sickness. Among a succession of burps, growls, and grunts, all Gawain could get from her was a single word: “Stay”. The contrast between the two Ladies could never be greater when the second one, introduced as Lady Reyniette, wife of Lord Berleddisg, unveiled her face: she was Faebrielle, the Elven Princess of his visions!

Recovering from the initial shock, and trying not to look as astonished as he was, Gawain observed that the Lady introduced to him as Reyniette actually looked almost the same as his Faebrielle, but was undoubtedly human, since her hair was brown as chestnuts, not green like mistletoe, and neither her skin was the colour of grass, but the pale pink of seashells. Besides, he noticed how Lady Reyniette had a visible eye-shaped birthmark on her neck, which was lacking on the Elven Princess. Nonetheless, Gawain thought, hers was still the most beautiful appearance a woman might crave, even fairer than Queen Guinevere, who was reportedly considered to be the fairest of all women. What did that mean, Gawain wondered. “Am I too late? Did Faebrielle marry Lord Berleddisg? What about the Green Knight?” Since these questions burnt fiercely inside Gawain’s soul, he finally managed to ask the Lord to speak to him in private, a prospect to which he agreed without second thoughts. They climbed the stairs and entered what seemed to be a private study of Lord Berleddisg.

“How may I assist you, my esteemed guest?” the nobleman inquired. “You said you were waiting for me. How did you know I was coming, and what is the purpose of my time spent here? For verily I am grateful for your kind welcome, but I am on an urgent quest, with only a week left to find the Green Chapel before New Year’s Day, and no idea where it is…” Lord Berleddisg offered Gawain a cup of red wine, and said: “Cheers to you, Sir Gawain, for you have almost completed your quest! Indeed, I have the honour to be the one who informs you that you have found the Green Chapel, as it stands less than ten miles from here. On New Year’s Day, I swear, I will have one of my men show you the way to get there. All I am asking of you in exchange is the pleasure to have you as our guest until then, for truly it is rare to have such a revered champion at one’s court”. Although still wary, Gawain accepted the offer, and the host added: “By the way, to answer your other question, Merlin the Wizard visited us during last Spring. He was after a mirror of sorts, I think. But certainly I recall that he prophesized you would come, and we have been waiting for you since then. In fact, after Christmas we will play a little game, am I right? What might be better than a festive courtly amusement in order to fully enjoy these holidays?” “You are indeed right, Lord Berleddisg. Surely I will play. Nothing might ever be better than that”, was Gawain’s reply, trying to sound as convincing as he could. Admitting he could trust his host, he had been reassured that he would be able to honour his agreement with the Green Knight. Nonetheless, if his beloved Faebrielle actually was the Lady downstairs, married to the same host, what was even the point in going to the Green Chapel at all?

During the next three days, Gawain took part in all the celebrations at Uchel Anialwch, attending Mass also on the days of Saint Stephan, of Saint John the Evangelist, and of the Feast of the Holy Innocents. He ate and drank as expected at court on these days, neither exceeding nor disappointing expectations, and even sang and danced after the tune of many joyful carols being played by minstrels and bards. As he was invited to dance by Lady Reyniette, who had not been wearing the veil ever since, he could not refuse, and started amiably chatting with her, who seemed to be teasing him, however she did not give away any decisive clue whether she was the Elven Princess or not. Having danced with Lady Reyniette, Gawain was forced to also dance with the equally unveiled Lady Breifalire, who looked even uglier than earlier, if possible. After they had finished, she uttered another word: “Kiss”. As the other time before, he gallantly kissed her hand and took his leave.

That evening, Lord Berleddisg summoned Gawain to his study again. As he entered the chamber, he saw his host standing before the fireplace, sipping red wine from a cup. Berleddisg offered Gawain another cup, and, after a toast, he explained: “I saw your collection of trophies. Very impressive, I have to admit. If I invited you to join my hunt, there would be no game for me. For, you see, I am ashamed to confess it before the Master of all hunters, such as you undoubtedly are, but I am a hunter myself. So, I came up with another idea. Thoughts?” Gawain was embarassed. “You greatly overestimate me, Lord Berleddisg”. “I seriously doubt it. But hear my proposal: I will go hunting for three days, and you will stay here in the castle, with everything and everybody at your complete disposal. Then each day, at dinner, we will meet up, tell each other about our day, and exchange our winnings. Isn’t it fun? What do you say?” Gawain was puzzled by the weird agreement proposed, but could not see any harm in it, so he said: “I told you I would play, so I stand by my word”. “Great. Have a good night of sleep, Sir, then let our game begin!”

The next morning, to Gawain’s surprise, he was woken up by the sound of someone intruding into his room. His amazement was even greater when he realized the identity of the intruder: it was none other than the Lady Reyniette, the same woman who shared almost every detail of her appearance with his Elven love! For the time being, he thought of nothing better than pretending to be still sleeping, so that he could at least ascertain her intent. However, if he still meant to pretend she had no ill in mind, when she sat on his bed and started caressing his hair and face, he had no choice but waking up. “Good morning, Sir Gawain”, she said, endearingly. For a moment he actually thought of ignoring his suspicions she might not be Faebrielle, ignoring the fact that the Lady in front of him was his host’s wife, and ignoring the absurd bargain he had made with him, just to surrender to the irresistible lure of that gorgeous woman in her nightgown and make love with her until his breath was taken away… Her eyes might not be pink like the Elven maiden’s, but he could still see the flickering light of desire lit within them, as she contemplated every inch of his body as a lioness might scan her prey. Her cheeks might not turn orange as she blushed, but he was not entirely sure her shamelessness was a flaw. Her skin was not like an unripe lemon, but he still wished to taste its flavour. Her curves were not that slender, but the sinuous roundness of her plump breasts was a feast for the eyes and, unless he managed to control himself, would soon be such for his hands and lips too. “What an unexpected pleasure to find you here, Milady. How may your faithful knight serve you?” She laughed. “I would like the heroic, courteous Gawain, to teach me everything he knows about love”. Gawain swallowed. “I am sorry, but I have nothing to teach you. I know nothing about love”. “Oh, dear Sir! Then why do all women love you?” “Are you sure they do? And, even so, shouldn’t you rather ask them?” “I am one of them, and I think it is because you are always kind and gentle”. “I am obliged, Milady”. “Then will the kind, gentle knight not teach me how to love?” she asked, revealing even more bosom than earlier, and provokingly blinking. “Of course”, he replied, choking from the pressure. “I can teach you that the highest form of love is love unrequited, because the person who thus loves is a benefactor who gives oneself to another person without expecting anything in return, not even the acceptance of the gift”. She looked disappointed. “Such a harsh, demeaning lesson. But I will take it if you grant me but the small benefit of a kiss”. “Of course”.

When Lord Berleddisg returned from his hunting, he brought Gawain a stag, and received a kiss on his lips instead. The host laughed, and commanded dinner be served. That night the hideous Lady approached Gawain, still sitting at the table, and told him: “Kiss kiss”, before leaving. Gawain shuddered, wondering if the old hag was also demented, besides ugly. When it was time, Gawain saluted the Lord and the young Lady and went to bed, only to be woken up in the morning once more by the latter getting into his chamber. This time he did not pretend to be sleeping, but bid her a good morning. “A proper good morning is such only if accompanied by a kiss”, she said, and he was taken aback by her audacity, as she jumped on the bed and tongue-kissed him, before he could say anything. Gawain had to fight all his very instincts, but somehow managed to stay still and display coldness even when a mirror image of his love lay upon him, pressing her tongue throughout his mouth. “Do you have another woman, Gawain?” “Why do you ask?” “Because we should be making love now!” “Are you Faebrielle?” “In case it helps, yes!” He was shocked, but then she coldly added: “You can call me Arthur, for all I care”. “I’m sorry to disappoint you, Milady”. “I’m not disappointed by you. I thought I was beautiful…” “I can tell you there is nobody on Earth as beautiful as you, not even Queen Guinevere”. “Then how can you reject me?” “Because I love somebody who does not live on this Earth…” “…I see. I did hear there were knights who were also monks…” Gawain sighed. “Blessed be them, I’m not one of them either”. She laughed. “Then you won’t deny me one other kiss before I leave”. “I won’t”, Gawain conceded. What he had not expected was that this time, as they kissed, he had for a moment the exact impression he was kissing his Faebrielle instead of her likeness, as he could see her all green, and even the birthmark was gone. This time, even more than the day before, as she left the room it was he who was left there, craving for more…

In the evening, at dinner, Gawain gave Lord Berleddisg two kisses, receiving a boar in return. The host looked pleased, but Gawain could not abstain from thinking that the Lord could only smile because unaware whose kisses Gawain was returning to him… Even as he thought so, Lady Breifalire whispered to his ear: “Gift”, then went away. What did she mean? Did she mean anything at all? However, that night Gawain went to bed thinking that, at this point, he should do all that was in his power to resist his passions for the third day as well, then he would just have to see what the Green Knight had in store for him, and the whole thing would be over, for better or worse.

In his sleep, Gawain dreamt that he and Faebrielle were married, and they were going to make love on their first night as a married couple. She was already naked, and was undressing him too, when he felt something was wrong. As he woke up, he had to realize this time Reyniette had gotten into his room without waking him up, had undressed herself, and was trying to make love with him in his sleep. How gorgeous her naked body was in the halflight… But he immediately detached from her, and told her to get dressed. “Only with a kiss” she said, and he consented. Again, for a moment she was Faebrielle… but he drew back, seeing which she hugged him and kissed him once more. Gawain prayed Our Lady to keep his control, and managed to communicate coldness also physically. Only when she felt that detachment in him, she backed off and got dressed again. Her hair was brown, her skin was white, but this time her garment was green. “Will you at least remember me?” “I could hardly forget you if I wished to, which I don’t…” he declared. “Take this as a token of my love”, she said, offering him a golden ring wherein a diamond was set. “I could never accept so rich a treasure”, he pointed out. “Will you then leave me something yours?” “I only bear tools of war, unfit for a Lady…” Reyniette then unlaced her green girdle and said: “Take this green sash. Whoever bears it cannot be killed”. Gawain was interested: “Are you sure?” “Of course. But I want another kiss”.

In the afternoon, Gawain went to the castle church and confessed himself. This time, he had gone way beyond lustful thoughts, having come within inches of making love with a married woman, with whom he had played a game of teasing and flirting akin to fornication, not to mention all their kisses. Besides, he certainly was not going to return his wife’s girdle to Lord Berleddisg that evening, thus proving himself a coward and unworthy. However, the priest surprisingly absolved him of all his sins, saying they were venial, or even not sins at all. “The rules of a courtly game are not the same as God’s Law. Fear is no sin at all, and even can be a virtue when it is fear of the Lord Almighty. So, you can do as you wish with the sash. Moreover, I think most men, and even some clergy, succumb completely to way lesser temptations of the flesh, and you did not. I would truly say Our Lady blesses you. Go in peace”, the priest told Gawain, partly reminding him of Father Poc, back in Camelot. So, on his last evening at Uchel Anialwch, Gawain exchanged three kisses with a fox, and kept a green girdle. Lady Reyniette was nowhere to be seen, while the old crone, Breifalire, this time did not say anything, but she flaunted a smile which almost made her look less ugly.

On New Year’s Day, in the early morning, Sir Gawain mounted Gringolet and, following the guide Lord Berleddisg had appointed to lead him to the Green Chapel, eventually left the castle of Uchel Anialwch. The landscape surrounding them was still covered in snow, but it was not a grey desolation as on Christmas, when the castle seemed like the last flicker of hope in a barren wasteland, and the impression Gawain had, before being surprised by a warm welcome, was that he, like the forest, was a ragged beggar desperate for attention. In the glimmer of the first sunlight, now, the woods rather suggested the unsullied white dress a child might wear on the day of his Baptism, thus mirroring Gawain’s clear conscience after his confession in the chapel the day before. They followed in utter silence an half-buried track among the trees, almost like two pilgrims walking the naves of a great cathedral, until the path split in opposite directions, and the guide halted. He was a young man, named Byrne, almost as old as Gawain, brown hair, blue eyes, a scar on his upper lip. “Listen”, he spoke, turning towards the knight. “Nobody has to know. We will just say you got there and nobody came. Your honour will not be spoilt, and you will not lose your life. I am certain Lord Berleddisg himself will sigh in relief when he sees you coming back unscathed”. Gawain smiled. “I am Sir Gawain, son of King Lot, and I am a Knight of the Round Table. My shield is Mercy, my sword is Justice, my word is Truth”. Byrne, clearly impressed, nodded. “Sorry, Sir. Sorry, Sir. Just a thought… I am no knight, and a craven. But come this way, follow me, we are almost there…” They took the path on their right, and after a few turns arrived into a large clearing in the centre of which a mound rose, green under its white cap of snow. “Here you are, Sir. I am sure, now, you will be able to find the entrance by yourself, because, you see, I really have some pressing business left unfinished at Uchel Anialwch, so, if I may have your permission…” And, even without waiting for Gawain to nod his assent, Byrne spurred his horse and galloped back away in a rush…

What they called the Green Chapel was disquieting, Gawain in his mind conceded to justify his guide’s behaviour, but not so disquieting as to discourage him too. Then, as he entered the clearing, what in the past year Gawain had only seen in his dreams materialized before him, between him and the mound. The Black Knight from his worst nightmares, the only man who had unhorsed him in a joust, the illegitimate fruit of dark magic and deception born from his unwitting incest with his aunt Morgan, stood right there on in the middle of the clearing, mounting his black stallion and was looking at him. “Hello, daddy!” he shouted, provokingly. But Gawain would not let himself be hindered anymore. “I am not your father”, he coldly declared, adamant in his convictions. “Wait until mommy hears about this!” the boy exclaimed, as he put off his helmet, revealing a face incredibly similar to Gawain’s, only younger. “It was you who named me, how can you not remember, dad? I am your son, Morfardd!” “You are not my son”, Gawain loudly stated, “because you do not even exist”. Morfardd froze, as an expression resembling sheer terror appeared on his face. He swiftly unsheated his sword and spurred his stallion into a charge, yelling: “Nooooo!!!” Gawain did the same, but he had no rush, and certainly would not shout. The two knights met each other in the lowest spot of the clearing, as the ground then gradually rose on both sides they came from, both towards the forest and the mound. Morfardd’s sword bounced upon his opponent’s new shield, a common wooden piece that the armorer at Uchel Anialwch had given him, and that now burst into splinters, but Gawain’s sword cut off Morfardd’s head, thus ending their fight for good. As Gawain turned his horse back, there was no trace left of either the stallion or the headless body, but Morfardd’s severed head was hovering in the air, looking at him. “How did you know?” the head asked him. “My love for Faebrielle would not let me sleep with her like. Thus I knew, even under a spell, I could never sleep with my own aunt”, Gawain said. “Yours was still only a guess”, the head remarked. “Or so lack of faith would speak”, Gawain observed, upon hearing which what was left of Morfardd grinded its teeth in a horrible grimace, then faded into thin air, as though the man bearing that name never existed at all.

Gawain got off his horse and explored the mound, looking for an entrance. He could almost hear a voice from the Green Chapel, as though a monk was reciting his Praises. By following that voice, he managed to find a hidden opening under some roots, and he bent his head in order to enter. The Chapel inside looked like a tomb, but a ray of light came in through a hole in the ceiling, lighting what at first could pass for a statue, but, after opening a single, red, bloodshot eye, revealed itself as the Green Knight. Gawain, whose heartbeat pounded like Norwegian drums, took a few long, deep breaths before kneeling in front of the Green Man and offering him his neck. The Giant loudly laughed: “So you do have a tiny grain of honour, after all! I recognize it: you have come here, to respect our agreement”. Then, though, the Green Knight spoke in all seriousness: “Now, let us see what my axe finds”, and, as he said so, he raised another huge green axe of his, entirely alike the one he had left at Camelot. Gawain slightly flinched after the thought of being beheaded, so the Giant did not give him his blow. “Would you rather go, Sir? Or have you come here for a reason?” “I am sorry”, was all Gawain could reply. “Ring-a-ring o’ roses, a pocket full of posies…” the Green Knight grotesquely sang, before feinting to swing his axe into Gawain’s neck. Arthur’s nephew again flinched, and his executioner looked disappointed once more. “…a-tishoo! A-tishoo! But nobody falls down…” he complained. “I promise not to flinch now”, Gawain assured him, and did his best to control himself. The Green Knight looked pleased, and raised his axe again. “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came…” he muttered this time, adding: “…because he thought aught else would be a shame!” His blow had fallen on Gawain’s neck, but the giant had stopped short of beheading him, barely scratching his skin.

Gawain rose, relieved. “You delivered your blow, Green Knight, and I did not flinch. Our bargain is honoured”. “Indeed, Sir”, the Green Man said, smiling, “and I am happy you and the Princess managed to dispel Morgan’s plot while still honouring the laws of Elfland and the wishes of the late King Oberon”. “What do you mean?” Gawain asked, perplexed. “Oh, you see, it was only a play here. Your fate was sealed in Uchel Anialwch. The rest was only a consequence”, the Giant started explaining. “How so?” Gawain inquired. “Three blows here, like the three days there. Two days respecting our agreement to exchange winnings, two feigned blows. On the third day you kept my wife’s sash, so I scratched you”, the Green Knight concluded. “Wait! What? Are you saying you are…?” Gawain asked, shocked. “Lord Berleddisg, at your service”, his interlocutor introduced himself. “But why?” “We had to test your courage, and you passed by coming here. Only the brave do not fear death, and only the brave may marry the Princess of Elfland. But we also had to test your loyalty to her, so you were also tempted in your faithfulness to her… and you passed that too, brilliantly, I might add. Because Morgan thought that you would fall for my wife Reyniette, being she Faebrielle’s cousin, and so close to her likeness, and even being she enchanted so to remind you of her… But Faebrielle herself had decided to send her cousin, among all the other choices, and Faebrielle herself had enchanted Reyniette, because your beloved had equal faith in you, and she knew you would not succumb to temptation, and instead you would so realize what she could not tell you anymore, that Morgan had deceived you into believing you had had a son named Morfardd with your own aunt. Furthermore, this was the only way you had to prove at the same time that you love Faebrielle, by not resulting entirely untouched by Reyniette, but at least accepting her girdle, so to cause me to shed a few drops of your blood. Only this way might the Gate open”. Gawain was speechless, but somehow he knew what he had to do. He took the girdle in his right hand, and used the left to touch the scratch on his neck, then put his bloodsoaked fingers above the girdle, and, as soon as three drops of his blood fell on the green sash, the Green Knight and the Green Chapel around him disappeared.

This time Gawain himself, all of him, mind, body, and soul, was in Elfland. The sky in the East was tinged with pink, foretelling dawn, and the whole place was a triumph of flowers, like in his visions. Under the pink-barked tree, Faebrielle was waiting for him, smiling adorably. He came to her in the ecstasy of the purest joy he had ever felt, and they hugged each other and kissed for what could have been forever but seemed always too short a time, crying and laughing at the same time in their bliss, finally together, and speechless. When they paused from their kissing, they found themselves in the presence of Glaxamarne the Gnome, Steward of Elfland, whom Gawain had already met, and two centaurs. Glaxamarne explained them how their marriage had to be celebrated immediately, otherwise Gawain would not be allowed to stay, so a brief ceremony was performed before the two centaurs as witness, and Gawain and Faebrielle thereafter also received the crowns of King and Queen of Elfland. They spent that night, like all the others, in the Royal Palace, and, after nine months precisely, Faebrielle gave birth to Gwynwalch, a boy, the heir to the throne of Elfland. When the child was three months old, Gawain was told by Faebrielle he had to appoint a Steward and return to Uchel Anialwch, so that they could also be together “on the other side”. Gawain trusted her, so he nodded his assent.

The next day, Gawain kissed goodbye to his son and returned to the place where the pink-barked tree stood. Once there, he noticed the scratch on his neck was bleeding again, so he let a few blooddrops fall on the green girdle once more, and istantly found himself back into the Green Chapel. There was no sign of the Green Knight, so he went outside and found Gringolet still waiting for him. “Good old boy”, he patted him on his back, and jumped on his saddle. After not too long a ride, he arrived in Uchel Anialwch, greeted by a whole crowd of people. Once he was escorted into the Hall of Thorns, Lord Berleddisg welcomed him dearly and said: “The knight who defeated Death itself deserves a marvelous reward. Name one woman in this court, whoever you may choose, and she, maiden or married woman, will be yours”. In other words, Gawain thought, I have to recognize Faebrielle here “on the other side”. She cannot be Reyniette, because that is her cousin… and then Gawain realized. Faebrielle had been guiding him all along, one word at a time. “I choose Lady Breifalire”. Lord Berleddisg gasped, then smiled. “Kiss her, and she will be yours forever”. And, as Gawain did so, the ugly crone turned into Faebrielle. “My love”, she said, “ I can only be fair at day, and hideous at night, or the other way around. What do you choose?” Gawain had no doubts. “Such is not a choice for me to take. It is you who has to decide which appearance you would like to have”. “My love!” she exclaimed, happy as a child. “Now, since you left me my choice, I will always be me! You have completely dispelled all of Morgan’s curses!” Gawain sighed, because he recalled a promise he had made. “Not all curses, sadly…” Faebrielle asked him: “What do you mean, my love?” “I had promised a couple in Caer Cleu I would bring their boy back, but I could not find him… He was abducted by the Black Knight, and I have no idea…” “Stttt!” Faebrielle silenced him: “Even this is part of the design of Fate”, she added, mysteriously.

Faebrielle and Gawain got married “on the other side” the next day in Uchel Anialwch, and again they conceived on the night of their wedding, so that they spent nine more months there before she gave birth to Guinglain, Gawain’s second son, but still his firstborn outside Elfland. As soon as Faebrielle recovered from the labour, they took their leave from Lord Berleddisg and began their journey towards Camelot, where they only arrived shortly before Christmas. The return trip was way easier than the former, in part because they often stopped in any safe place to let the mother and the newborn rest, in part because Gawain was now feared and avoided by outlaws and monsters alike, and also because both categories were significantly diminished in numbers after his first journey. They stopped for an especially long time in Caer Cleu, where they were still waiting to celebrate the slayer of the wyrm Chreibadsyg, so they held a huge feast in his honour. Before they came to visit Wyrfynd and Treiri in Caer Cleu, Faebrielle explained to Gawain they had to leave Guinglain in adoption to the couple, who would raise him in the same love they would have had for Rhys… Gawain was shocked, but Faebrielle told him they had no choice, because their time together “on the other side” was almost finished, and they had to appear together at Camelot at least once before she returned to Elfland. “How will I see you then?” “You will always have the Mirror, and every New Year’s Day you may repeat the blood ritual with the girdle and come to visit me in Elfland”. “And you? When will you come here ‘on the other side’, as you say?” “Every time I have a chance to, and I will always tell you, as soon as I know…” Gawain could not do but accept those terms, but he would be fooling himself if he did not admit to himself he had hoped for better.

The parting from another son of theirs was especially painful, but eventually they came to Camelot, where everybody was exceedingly happy to see Gawain, and astonished by the fairy beauty of his bride. They were married again by Father Poc in the Church of Saint Michael, and when they kissed Faebrielle vanished in the air, leaving behind a rain of flower petals. King Arthur asked Gawain to tell the tale of his adventures in detail, and his nephew satisfied his request, but his tale was bitter, now that he and Faebrielle were separated once more, and he said that he blamed himself for accepting the green girdle from Reyniette, because, if he had not, now he would not be missing Faebrielle so much. However, to his utter surprise, nobody took him seriously as he said so: the whole court burst into laughter, and they even agreed all of them would wear green sashes in his honour! Gawain sighed, but he also felt relief, for in some weird way being misunderstood now felt like home to him, and also because he could not deny that, objectively speaking, he had gained much in all senses since he had left. He could not bring himself to full-fledged laughter, but at least he managed to flaunt what looked like a proud smile, wherein only the brightest might spot a vein of sadness.

EPILOGUE

Merlin had to lean on his oaken staff to manage to climb the steep, rocky steps of the caves, but eventually reached the stony terrace where he knew he would find the sorceress. Morgan was standing on the edge of the natural balcony, looking from above into the magical pool below. “Even you, Morgan…” Merlin began, but soon he had to stop because his heart was pounding too fast from climbing. A thousand generations of mortals I have lived, fresh as a rose, but now, eventually, I feel old and tired… just when my power is most needed. He started anew: “Even you, Morgan, must admit the young knight accomplished quite a feat…” Morgan casually nodded, looking as though he was bothering her over some small matter, while she was busy on something much more important.

“Loyalty…” Merlin mused, quite pleased, “a quality we had thought lost… Instead, perhaps, there is hope for Camelot indeed. There is hope for Avalon. There is hope for mankind. We were not sent here just to be mindless wheels in unending cycles, as you said once…” Morgan frowned. “How can you be so naive, wizard? Even someone as old as you, who remembers the days of Atlantis and Mu, who stole the stones from the Irish Giants, who tasted food from the Cauldron of Dagda, who saw the Flower-Girl Blathnath before she was abducted in the Underworld?” “You know how they say, Morgan, the old bard listens to songs of hope, the young bard to songs of defeat?” “But the young bard sings the songs of hope, and the old bard sings the songs of defeat!” “And yet each of them may sing the songs he listened to”. Morgan frowned again, as though the old wizard was a hopeless case.

“Tell me, Morgan”, Merlin insisted, “what do you hope to see in your precious pool? Are you aware your visions may fool you? Were you not certain Gawain would fail?” Now Morgan was wroth. She backed away from the stony balustrade, and faced her former master. “Beware, WIZARD”, she spoke the word as though it were an insult. Shrouds of darkness seemed to surround her, as Morgan towered over Merlin, her voice echoing through the caves, “I am not your pupil anymore. I have not been for a long time. Now I am the Voice of Thunder, I am the Clouds of Darkness, I am the Fury of Waters. I am the Priestess of Avalon. I am the Lady of the Lake”. She took a deep breath, resuming her normal size, while the dark shrouds around her faded. Morgan smiled upon seeing how impressed Merlin was by her display of power. “What I seek, you ask”, she continued. “Is it not the knowledge everyone seeks? The only knowledge worth knowing? Knowledge of fate?”

Merlin retrieved his stance, tentatively replying: “There are other powers, besides Fate, Morgan. There is choice. There is Mercy”. She laughed out loud. “Do you even listen to yourself? Choice! Mercy!” Morgan bursted into another laughter. Merlin, ignoring her ilarity, stubbornly insisted: “As for what is worth, there certainly are things much worthier to be known, than Fate. Happiness, for one. Love”. Morgan seemed to pity him. “Poor old wizard”, she said. “You have become senile. Let me tell you what I know. Let me tell you about choice, mercy, happiness, and love. Guinevere is unhappy with Arthur. She loves one of his knights, who is torn between love for her and duty, but eventually love shall be his choice. Arthur finds out, and he would show mercy, but he cannot, because he is King. End of Camelot. And what decided this? Fate. And you, Merlin, a pawn in the hands of Fate, when you let a man pursue his intent of adultery, so that Arthur may be conceived. Fate, Merlin. Fate. Not love, not mercy. Fate. Love fooled people at least since Helen of Troy. But you can keep fooling yourself as much as you wish. And you will. Love will be your undoing too, when another pupil of yours will seduce you into teaching her forbidden magic, and she will use it against you to seal you in the ground. Fate, Merlin. Fate. The only thing there is”. And, having said so, Morgan returned to the balustrade.

Merlin was shaking beyond control. A seizure had taken him, and only little by little he managed to regain possession of his muscles and clarity of conscience. In the back of his mind, he thought he had heard from Morgan something important, something that could save someone, but he could not recall whom or what. “What were you saying, Morgan?” he tried asking her. “That it is a pleasure that you come and pay a visit to me every now and then. It reminds me of the old times…” was her mindless reply. “Of course, Morgan. The good old times. Of course. But…” Merlin tried, one last time. “Yes, Merlin?” “Nothing, Morgan. The good old times. Of course”.

THE END