Midwinter Masquerade

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
The Gilded
Gilded found that she felt flattered both because Teal had almost not recognised her and that he did so, and she cared not to look for explanations why. This was the time to enjoy the atmosphere and all, and so she would.

She snacked lightly on the food items she had picked and looked towards Golden when Teal mentioned the blond hair.

“Yes, his hair does seem similar,” she concluded, “But then again I doubt I would ever take him for you even if it was him whom I would have come across first. I think I know you a bit already, and yes – maybe you are not hiding too much.”

“What is your favourite thing in all this event?” she then asked him out of curiosity.

Red Rooster
“Excellent! It’s a good skill to have, especially for small escapades and similar adventures,” Rooster said with a slightly mischievous grin on his face. Even though he was a pretty decent rider he did not use that capability to its full potential, since he did not leave Minas Tirith all that often to require a horse.

“Now that you mention it…” he then said slowly, mischief seemingly taking him over as he looked at Orchid. “Perhaps I could kidnap you and request ransom from your uncle. Though… I don’t think it would be considered a legal form of earning coin, and I’d end up in jail. No?”

If the mask would not hide it, she would be able to see him raising an eyebrow, as he further considered: “Though wooing part… Would that even be fruitful – I am not even sure if I would ever see you again after you leave. Or would you suggest an idea of writing long letters to send by secret messengers?”
Amethyst
“There are so many cares in everyday life that it is well worth to have at least one evening of sweet forgetfulness and simply joy, wouldn’t you say?” Amethyst continued the line of thought. “And I surely hope that it has met your expectations since you have come only for that.”

“One of the other guests named me Amethyst, so I think I can as well stick to that if I have to give a name,” she said, smiling. “And yes, I do live here. And say, what name I should call you?”

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Teal

He laughed a little. "I should hope you wouldn't mistake him for me," he grinned in amusement. "Even from here, I can tell he's a good deal taller than I am, and at least ten years older." He laughed slightly and took a sip of his drink, which he'd brought along with him from the bar.

He shrugged at the mention of him not 'hiding' much. "It seems that some people have really gone out of their way to disguise themselves," He mentioned with a nod toward the Black lips lady. "I didn't really think of it, to be honest. I just figured no one's really going to know who I am anyway. I put a mask on and that's all I thought was necessary." He explained. "Perhaps if they have another one, I'll try to do more." He added with a little grin. "I wonder how they do some of those things. Changing lip colors, and hair colors, things like that." He didn't actually know that anyone had altered their hair color, but he felt as if it might be a thing that had been done by a few, at least.

When asked what his favorite thing about this event was, he paused and considered that. "I.. don't know." He felt his face growing a tiny bit warm as he thought of what he could say; dancing with her. But he wasn't sure if he wanted to say that. "The fun of doing something new, maybe," He mentioned thoughtfully. "And finding someone I know," He added with a nod toward her, and smiled. "What about you? What's your favorite part?"

@Pele Alarion

Yellow Orchid

She smiled, nodding in agreement with the comment that riding was a good skill to have. She was intrigued with this guy, and the mischievous smile on his face. Perhaps he was a fun person to be around. At least, that was the impression she was getting, and she was curious what to expect next.

The words he spoke next were certainly not what she would have expected, and she bit her lip to try and hold back a smile of amusement. "I'm not sure that you should joke about such things, sir," She told him with a little laugh in her voice. "Someone might think you were serious, and call the guards on you." She had no idea whether a person could be arrested for merely talking or joking about doing a crime, but it seemed better to be safe than sorry. "I would rather not be forbidden from ever leaving the house again, so please don't give my uncle any reason to fear for my safety?"

She was a little caught by surprise as he asked whether the wooing would be pointless or not. She had to consider that for a moment as they continued to dance. "I don't think it would be useful.. though I'm not sure what I can tell you without ruining the anonymity of the evening." She explained, a little unsure how to put it. Perhaps if she got to meet with him tomorrow, she could offer a better explanation.

@Pele Alarion

Lady Cat

"I quite agree." She answered, giving a small nod, as Amethyst spoke of having an evening to forget cares of everyday life. "It has exceeded expectations," She added, smiling slightly. "I certainly did not know it would be so grand and lovely. And the food is exquisite and delicious. I am quite happy that I came."

She smiled to hear that she had been dubbed Amethyst. "A lovely gemstone. And purple, like your dress. Fitting." She gave a little nod, agreeing with the choice. She smiled when asked about her own alias. "Hmm, well I have been called Lady Cat by one of the gentlemen that I danced with. That suits me well enough, for I love cats. And I did dress as one," She added with a little grin.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Fairy
&
Golden Sunbeam

"What are you talking about?" The Fairy denied the Dragon's claim that his singing might send everyone running home. "It would have been the talk of the evening - food for hours and hours of conversation," she teased gently, right before Golden started joking as well, to which the Dragon replied just as easily.

"The wings are the best part, aren't they?" Golden mused. "Now I do wonder if I've lost my chance to wear wings!"

The Fairy sipped her hot chocolate, amused, and hid her smile behind her mug. "You could have added large, feathery, white wings to what you are wearing now, to represent some kind of angelic being joining us poor mortals."

Golden narrowed his eyes at her slightly, though they were filled with mirth. "Says the Fairy?"

Lowering her mug, she gave Golden her most balanced smile. "It is a night of pretend, isn't it?" she asked, before chiming in on the matter of hot chocolate to Lady Blossom. "It's very good," she agreed with Dragon. "You should definitely try some. I am very glad your friend knew they were serving it - I honestly hadn't noticed so far, and it would have been such a shame to miss out."

Golden was looking at the Fairy rather thoughtfully as she engaged in conversation with Blossom. The more time went by, the more he was inclined to think this blonde lady in wings was his sister. What he could tell about her looks fit, even though she had obscured her eyes and her attire was not anywhere close to what he was used to seeing her in. But the colour, the blue, was one that his sister wore intermittently when off duty, and especially often when it came to more fancy occasions, he knew. Her accent was completely off, but the timbre of her voice did fit. It were some behaviorisms that were throwing him off, but once in a while something peeked through that gave him the distinct impression that the Fairy was indeed his baby sis.

He blinked, distracted from his musings by the Dragon's question. Recovering quickly, Golden turned to the other man with a vague smile. "Very many of these? Not exactly, I would say. I do not live in the city, so perhaps there are more smaller scale events I am unaware of. But I can tell you there is a dance or a ball in some form or other every Midwinter. It has been a long held tradition, and it seems that the King and Queen are determined to keep the tradition intact. Would you travel this far every year, just for something like this?" he asked, curiously.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

Lady Swan

She followed Forest Nymph’s gaze to the other woman in Green and Peach. She was more than agreeable to join her best friend and the other girls for a bite to eat and something refreshing to drink. Maybe…more wine. It had her feeling fuzzy instead, no doubt amplified by the experience of dancing with her Sir Fox. She just had to get it off her chest and tell someone!

She nodded to the offer of joining Forest Nymph’s new group and laughed lightly about the desserts. ”Me too! With how much I’ve been dancing, I could eat the whole buffet.” She joked, speaking casually in the common tongue now. She piqued her eyebrows when Nymph spoke about her new friend…in pink? But her eyes lit up when she heard the news and secret. ”Oh yes, I can definitely make it tomorrow. We’re here for a week or so. We have a house out in the Pelennor. Where are you staying? I can come to you at any time. If it will be okay with your friend of course” She said, without even knowing what her situation might be tomorrow. But she was determined to make this rendezvous. Horses and archery! This woman must be the luckiest woman in the world, according to what Swan knew.

She piled some desserts and basic appetisers on her plate, marvelling at all the choices and quality. ”I was dancing with this most illustrious figure. He was such a skillful dancer and he had this bright red, wavy hair and get this…he wore the masque of a fox! After all the encounters and portents and such…this can’t be a coincidence, right?” She chuckled at how girlish this attraction all sounded. Its not like Swan had some monopoly on her love of foxes and their meaning and significance in her life. She had told Nymph about the whole encounter up in Ered Nimrais a while back.

”He was so sly and clever. I feel like he got one over on me. A few times.” She admitted with a blush. ”Anyways…who are your friends? You’ve been busier than I have! Did you dance with anyone?” She inquired of Nymph, wanting to hear about her evening so far. She still had the anxious knot in her stomach, knowing she had to inquire about him.
@Arnyn

King Cheddar

The possibilities are tempting. ”Feel free to indulge yourself, my Lady.” Cheddar grinned back at her, made curious by the slow an deliberate way she spoke. She must really be a deep thinker then, weighing up her words so cautiously, holding them close and near to her heart like they were so very valued chips to dole out in scarcity.

Her next question was most curious. His moral compass? Normally…it was rather well behaved. He believed himself a true and virtuous knight of the Realm. But that was the man behind the masque. And that wasn’t apart of the game. He grinned, curious to see what would happen if he played the other side of the fence. And did she have to bite her lip like that? Treacherous tongue indeed.

”Why do you ask? Have something…mischievous in mind?” He inquired with a low laugh. He just watched her a moment, wondering what the game might be with her. She seemed to hold the conversation well in hand the way he held her, well in hand. At her side, his thumb grazed up and down on her form, showcasing the churning of his own deep thoughts as he pondered her query. ”My compass points…to wherever the forces of attraction are. Suppose you care enough to influence me towards a certain…course of action?” He murmured back to her, offering up a sly half-smile to see what she came up with next.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
The Gilded
“Well, maybe I wouldn’t… no,” Gilded laughed lightly, and looked from Teal to the Golden and back again. “But then again there’s not really anyone else that I’ve seen here who could be taken for you.”

She studied Black Lips for a moment, and then turned back to Teal. “Think she’s coloured her hair not just lips? I figure plants can be used for that, and maybe something else, though I would not really know beyond random discoveries. Like… I cooked some chicken and red cabbage together, and the meat turned out a very gross colour afterwards.”

Gilded was not prepared to answer her own question, so she ran her index finger along her chin in thought while thinking over the answer Teal gave. “Come to think of it,” she said slowly. “The newness is a thing. And yet having familiarity in it all. I think I really enjoy dancing, but then again I think I’ve said it already a few times. You might get tired of hearing it.” She flashed a grin at him, and then popped a bit of meat into her mouth.

Red Rooster
Rooster gave Orchid a spin, while the grin remained on his face all the time.

“Oh, I doubt anyone would think me capable of such deeds,” he told her. “Besides, no one planning a crime would discuss it in a public place. If guards were to come at me, I’d invite them into a game of dare and make them forget any accusations made.”

He glanced around carefully this way and that, and lowered his voice. “Just in case… you better let me know if your uncle is anywhere within earshot. So you won’t miss out on any good stuff,” he said conspiratorially, and then added with a note of seriousness: “But I hope he will realise that he can’t keep you locked up forever – you would need a proper life, a family, some occupation or other… unless you are so noble that you can sit at home all day long.”

It made him realise that he too had been spending way too much time sitting at home, even when he was not of a noble family, such as they come.

It seemed that wooing was out of the question too, and he did not press the matter either – it would probably not do to run after a girl he had met for one evening, and even then hidden by a mask. “You know, at least no one could blame me for not wanting to entertain a visitor to the city and show off the beautiful locations,” he eventually said with a sweet smile.
Amethyst
“I am glad that you are enjoying yourself greatly,” Amethyst answered, and appeared to be content to confirm that all the preparations were well worth it, and that it brought a lot of joy to the people.

“All right. Lady Cat it is then,” she accepted the introduction with a small smile. “A cat is a lovely creature, and with the lady added to it, it would make for a double indication of gracefulness and a measure of majesty, perhaps.”

“I think I saw you on the dance floor before,” she then said. “Am I not mistaken?”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Lantaelen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

She hadn't scared him off then. And the way he replied made it sound like he had caught the meaning behind her words' surface value. Well, well, well. This one might prove the most entertaining specimen of the entire evening! That was a surprise. Red hadn't figured that after shocking Dragon, unbalancing Rooster, encountering a client and catching the scent of a target, an opportunity like this would also be in the cards. Truly, was it not too much entertainment to expect from one sole evening?

Then again... why not take the opportunity at some more fun? If this man would continue to grant it to her, of course. Life had not dealt her an easy hand. Not ever. (Nor an easy Hand, for that matter.) And the man who was now grazing his thumb along her side... His confidence was attractive. He was evidently strong. About her own age... And from what she could tell, he was quite handsome to boot. Why on earth would she choose not to try and see just how far she could take this?

"Mischief?" she repeated, her tone utterly innocent, though her eyes were anything but, as she looked up at him through the mask. "I would say that a skilled navigator knows his way around the northern areas as well as those in the south. But he would also know the south is the most pleasant place to be." Her voice had deepened a bit as her gloved hand moved slowly, so slowly, from his shoulder to the lower back of his neck to lightly graze the skin there. "Or do you disagree?"

Everything about him breathed nobility, somehow. If her estimation was correct, that also meant he'd be expected to behave a certain way in public, more so than any regular man. "I'm afraid I could only call you a Southern Knight after you'd have proven your knowledge. However, until such a time, if none of my words should drive you to flee - Sir Dauntless will do."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn

Ziranphel
Macardil kept the plate that he picked up, but neither handed it to her or began filling it for himself as was most common at buffets. Instead, he looked to her and asked her for her preference in that low tone that warmed her spirit. Ziran looked at him intently before a smile flicked across her features and she rose up to kiss his smooth cheek lightly in wordless thanks, not caring if any saw. She could have protested, but not with that happy note in his voice. Turning her attention back to the tables, she pointed out the skewers of roasted meat, small spinach and onion quiches, a selection of vegetables, a small hand-pie filled with beef, potatoes, and cheese, and a sweet apple one. Each didn’t seem like much, but the plate was soon almost brimming. “I think that is more than enough. Thank you, m’lord husband.” It delighted her to use the term and she couldn’t help the smile that hovered on her lips.

Glancing over at the tables with seating, as opposed to ones just for setting down drinks or snacks, Ziran let her gaze drift over the colorful attire of those assembled. There were some younger and some older, some clearly couples and others who bore the air of new acquaintances or friends, but none that she immediately recognized despite a second look at the deep Amethyst attired one. She knew she would naturally gravitate to an empty table, but her husband was more extroverted and might enjoy more conversation by now. “I’ll get juice and water if you’ll choose the table, love.”
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn & @Ercassie
|
Green Dragon | Blossom

Dragon laughed at hearing Fairy's words. "Possibly! But I don't believe you have heard me sing, so it is not quite a fair assessment." He shrugged. "Best not to take any chances, right?" He grinned in amusement.

"Those two who were up there a moment ago sounded very nice," Blossom commented. "I wonder if they might plan on singing anything else, later." She had no idea if they were part of the evening's planned entertainment or not, but it had been nice to hear the song.

Dragon made an effort not to sip his hot chocolate too fast, as he had done before. It would be preferable not to burn his tongue and have to endure that for the rest of the evening, after all. He set it down as he considered Golden's costume with a little grin. "Orrrr, you could've worn golden wings," He suggested, slightly teasing. "Though, I suppose with the white feathery wings, you could claim to be a snowy owl or something," He added thoughtfully.

Smiling slightly as she listened to them, Blossom waited for an opportune moment to hail one of the bartenders to come over. When one of them did, she smiled and asked for a cup of hot chocolate, then glanced toward Golden. "Do you think you'll risk a cup, with your white suit, sir?" She asked, unsure if he was even interested in the chocolate. But she could certainly understand if he was hesitant about it, since any spill would show up far too easily on his outfit.

Dragon listened with curiosity as Golden explained about how the midwinter ball was an annual thing. "Ah, interesting!" He declared, intrigued by that thought. But he paused at the question that followed. "Well," He answered a bit more slowly. "I would, certainly." He laughed, before adding, "But my brother and I always travel together, and I have a suspicion he would object to traveling out of our way to attend something so 'frivolous'," He explained with a roll of his eyes. "He's all work and no play, sadly. Despite my best efforts," He sighed a bit overdramatically.

"Oh, come on. You make him sound like an absolute bore," Blossom interjected, shaking her head slightly in amusement. "His brother isn't that bad, really." She defended him slightly. "He just.. has different priorities than you, I suppose." She didn't think it would be her place to try to explain any deeper of what she knew, to these people they had only just met. But she also didn't think it quite fair to say such things about him while he wasn't even there.

@Arnyn

The Fox

After a moment of sipping on his water, Fox took a slow breath and glanced around. He knew that someone had been here and had already left - he still wanted to have a chance to speak to the lady responsible for that, actually - but he felt sure that the guy had not been here alone. He scanned the room thoughtfully, curious about where the rest of the group might be.. and how many had come? All of them? Only some? He pushed his wayward lock of hair back behind his mask, even though it didn't need it after Swan having done so only a moment ago, and tried to see whether he could identify anyone at all that he knew, or maybe knew.

There were only a few that he recognized with relative ease, and they were not the ones he was actually seeking. Of course, he couldn't see everyone present from his current location. And he didn't feel like wandering around studying everyone's faces, so he shrugged to himself and turned to look at the folks who were at the bar nearby. To his surprise, the Fairy was actually quite nearby. But she was not alone. He pondered this, thinking about what he had caught a glimpse of earlier. He weighed the possibilities as well as the facts.

Ultimately, he decided that the odds were highly in favor of the possibility that the other guy had been being very rude, and therefore.. there seemed little danger of her doing the same thing to another who was not rude. And he certainly didn't plan on being rude. Finishing off his water, he took a small breath and left his seat, and approached the four gathered at the bar, waiting for there to be a good moment to speak up.

He wore a pleasant smile as he neared them. "Good evening," He greeted the group in general, cheerfully. "Ladies, sirs," He nodded to them all with a smile. "Please, forgive me for any interruption," He added, slightly unsure if he ought to have come over.. but he had now. And therefore, he had to do what he'd come over here to do. He turned to Lady Fairy, trying not to show the lack of confidence he was suddenly feeling. "I.. only wanted to take the opportunity to commend you, ma'am, for your bold deed earlier.." He explained with amusement shining in his eyes.

"I happened to notice earlier, the way you handled that.. person." He explained with a little smile, a bit of a redness creeping onto his face, or what could be seen of it. He hoped she would not be offended or annoyed by him saying any of this, and he hastily continued, "I only wanted to tell you how very impressed I was by that. Although I was too far away to hear what was said..." He tried to hide a little grin which fought its way onto his face anyway, "I have no doubt that it was quite well deserved, and it was very.. enjoyable to witness the result, even if it was from afar."

@Pele Alarion

Teal

Glancing toward the lady in question, Teal considered for a moment. "I wouldn't have any idea, to be honest." He shrugged. "I've heard that it's possible to change one's hair color, but I've never done it, nor have I ever heard any methods on how to do it." he shrugged, then laughed lightly as she spoke of the red cabbage turning the chicken a weird color. "It's even worse with beets," He informed her, amused.

He ate a meat and cheese pastry while he listened to her talking about the newness and familiarity, and smiled when she spoke again about how much she liked dancing. He made a mental note of that. Apparently, she really liked it. "I wouldn't get tired of hearing it," He assured her with a little laugh, once he had swallowed. "I'd like to try and learn how to dance better. Perhaps, then, we could practice together at other times." he suggested, a little hesitant but it seemed like a reasonable enough thing to suggest. "Imagine," He smiled, "dancing around in a field like we're at a grand ball, with the birds to make music for us to dance to." He grinned before taking a sip of his juice.

@Pele Alarion

Yellow Orchid

She moved through the spin gracefully, smiling as she came back to facing him. Her smile grew slightly as he declared that no one would think him capable of such things. "I should hope not," She answered, with a little laugh when he added about inviting the guards to join him in a game. "Are you friends with the guards, then?" She asked, curious as she tried to figure out who he might be.

After he glanced around, and suggested that she point out her uncle, Orchid smiled a bit in amusement. "No need to worry," She assured him, lowering her own voice to match the level of his. "He's off on the sidelines, sitting at one of those tables," She nodded her head toward where several tables were off to the side for people to sit at. Then, glancing about, she located her cousin who was dancing elsewhere on the floor with another gentleman. "My cousin is a safe distance away, also." She added.

As he spoke up about how she would need a proper life, family, and occupation, her lips parted as if to say something, but Orchid wasn't quite sure how to reply to that. Especially when he added the bit about 'unless you're noble'. She remained silent for a moment as she pondered how best to respond to that comment without giving away too much of the mystery that was woven into the evening. "I suppose you're right," She eventually answered, smiling back as he mentioned about showing off the city and it's most beautiful locations. "Of course," She agreed. "The city is certainly lovely, but a new visitor needs a proper tour guide to show them to the best places, after all."

@Pele Alarion

Lady Cat

She always felt rather pleased to be compared to a cat, especially in reference to their finest qualities; gracefulness, nimbleness, beauty.. She smiled to hear 'majesty' added to the list now, and quite agreed. "Thank you," She dipped her head slightly in a nod of gratitude for the compliment from the other lady. "I find much inspiration from felines." She smiled. "They are my favorite animals.. surprising, no?" She added with a little grin.

"Indeed," She responded to Amethyst's question with a little smile. "Or, at least, I was on the dance floor twice this evening, anyway." She confirmed. "I wouldn't presume to say what you have seen or not seen, however." She added with a hint of amusement, wondering how well the other lady took a bit of teasing. "I know that I saw you out there a couple of times at least; I was admiring your dress, I must admit," She added with a little laugh. "Did it come from a shop here in the city? Or was it custom made for you?" She couldn't help being curious.. perhaps another 'feline' quality.

@Lantaelen

Forest Nymph

A light giggle met with Swan's claim that she could eat the whole buffet. "Well, fix up a plate, and then we'll go and join my new friend." She suggested. "I saw her go that way," She stood on tiptoe trying to catch a glimpse of the girl's dress. "I don't know what to call her yet.. I've only spoken with her a little bit, just before you came over." She explained. "She was hungry, so you two are at least on the same page there."

While Swan fixed herself up a plate, Forest Nymph tagged along. She wasn't exactly hungry, as she'd been nibbling on things throughout most of the evening so far, but she did take a small, sweet pastry to nibble on, so she wouldn't be the only one at the table without food.

Upon hearing that Swan's family had a house in the Pelennor, Forest was surprised. "Oh, wow! That's perfect then!" She lowered her voice down a bit, trying not to be too excited as to risk being overheard by anyone who might spoil the fun. "Pink girl and I decided to meet at a place in the Pelennor, so, that means.. I can say I'm going to go and visit you.. and then we can go and meet her. I doubt she'd mind, but if I see her again tonight, we can ask." She mentioned cheerfully. She was quite excited about this, and had to remind herself that Swan had asked a question of her. "Oh, we're staying in an inn here in the fifth level," She answered. "I wish we'd thought to get a house to stay in, that would have been nicer, I'm sure." But then, her family very rarely came to the city, so it would be a bit pointless to buy an entire house just for one stay, right?

Once they had both selected all that they wanted from the buffet, Forest led the way along the tables until she spotted the other friend she had met later, seated at a table by herself. She smiled. "Hello again!" She greeted her, motioning then to Swan. "I've brought a friend, do you mind if we join you?"

@Lantaelen

She'd only just sat down, having found many of the tables filled with other guests, though she had finally been fortunate to find an empty one about the time someone else left it. With a tiny little leap forward, she claimed it swiftly by placing her plate down on it. The place was filled with people, all dressed in such wonderful outfits! She took a brief moment to look around before sliding into one of the chairs.

She was too hungry to take too much time debating about what to begin with; it all looked delicious, and so she picked up a little hand-sized pie and bit into it. "Mmmmm," She closed her eyes in delight as she enjoyed the savory filling. About that time, she heard the voice of the only person she had yet spoken to this evening, a girl younger than her but very friendly. Green eyes popped open again and she smiled, hastily swallowing what was in her mouth. "Of course!" She answered, and waved cheerily to Swan who had come along with Forest Nymph. "Hello, how are you? Please, feel free!" She motioned toward the empty chairs around 'her' table. "There's plenty of room, sit wherever you like." She invited them, smiling.

"This stuff is so delicious," She declared, unable to resist another bite of the little savory pie. She took a bit longer to enjoy that bite, but she also looked curiously toward the lady in the white, with the pretty gold mask. "Your outfit is so pretty!" She informed her. "What should I call you?" She wondered, unsure how this masquerade thing worked exactly. It was so different, not being able to see people's faces, but fun, too!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Fairy
&
Golden Sunbeam

"The two of hem did sound nice together," the Fairy agreed. She smiled at Blossom. "Sounds like you enjoy people singing? Do you prefer it to purely instrumental music?"

"Well, I suppose gold would have worked just as well as white," Golden replied to the Dragon, unbothered by the teasing. "I don't know if I would want to be an owl," he scowled - and that juxtaposition struck the Fairy as comical, resulting in quiet, amused laughter on her part.

"What?" Golden asked, raising an unseen eyebrow behind his mask.

The Fairy grinned at him. "I don't know. Can an owl scowl?"

Parting his lips and unsure of what to say to the Fairy's question, which was entirely unexpected and confusing for Golden, he was grateful for Blossom's inquiry. "I believe I will pass, lady Blossom," he replied to the brunette instead. "Not because of my white clothes, but simply because I am not the biggest fan of hot chocolate." He raised his hands, as if in surrender. "I know, I know - it's terrible! But there is no point in lying about it," he laughed briefly. Somewhat curious when the Dragon and Lady Blossom engaged in conversation about the Dragon's brother, Golden glanced at the Fairy before quietly signalling the barkeep for a regular ale.

"Your brother is like that too? I'm afraid I have a sister who suffers from the same condition," Golden smiled at the Dragon, before turning to Blossom. "Though I would not call her an absolute bore. She might drop-kick me if she ever found it," he added conspiratorially. He did his best not to make it obvious he was watching the Fairy intermittently for any response.

Meanwhile, the Fairy was calmly sipping her hot chocolate. "Perhaps it will depend on what your brother sees as your priorities at the time," she offered mildly. She also didn't fail to realize that Golden was right. There were a good many similarities between her and the Dragon's brother. Part of her wondered whether the Dragon had thought she was dull and boring, as well. At that point, her thoughts were interrupted by a timbre she knew all too well - and with an accent she had heard being practiced. Her gaze found the Fox's mask, and a faint smile mastered her face - that did nothing to betray the wild amusement beneath it all. What... were... the odds!

The Fairy inclined her head to the newcomer even as Golden picked up his tankard of ale from the counter. When Golden turned to the Fox, he did a quick double-take. As he listened to the Fox talking to the Fairy, he became more and more certain of the young man's identity. The height and build was right, the sound os his voice, the style of his hair albeit not the color. The eyes. He knew this one! With slightly narrowed eyes, he took in the Fairy again. If only he could see her eyes - then he might have been absolutely sure about her as well! Golden sipped his newly acquired drink quietly as the young man continued. Before the Fairy could say anything in return, Golden spoke up first. "Well, young man. If you are going to continue to sing the Fairy's praises, then why not ask her for a dance?"

That made the Fairy look at Golden for a moment, and even though he could not see her eyes, he didn't need to see them to know she was staring daggers at him. A lazy grin appeared on Gonden's face as he sipped his ale again.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn & @Ercassie
|
Green Dragon | Blossom

Fairy's question made her tilt her head thoughtfully as she considered it. "I don't think I would say I prefer it, exactly," She shrugged. "Both are nice in their own ways," She shrugged and cautiously sipped her hot chocolate. "I enjoy hearing music with or without singing. But I don't often hear music of this sort, much less singers who work so well together." She wasn't quite sure how to explain it exactly, but it had seemed as if the two must have practiced singing together to some degree, at some point before now. Even though the song, and the young man joining the young lady in singing, had looked quite unplanned to her.

While Blossom smiled in amusement at Fairy's 'owl scowl' joke, Dragon laughed. "That would be quite interesting to see!" He mentioned, trying to recall any and all owls he had ever seen, trying to remember whether he'd ever seen one seeming to scowl. "I'll have to pay more attention to that, next time I see one," he declared with amusement. Not that he saw them all that often, however.

Smiling, Blossom shook her head slightly in amusement, then turned her smile toward Golden. "Of course. Everyone has their likes and dislikes," She was a bit surprised that someone might not like chocolate, yet she didn't feel the need to make a big deal about it.

Dragon smiled when Golden mentioned having a sister. "Well, it's good that she is not boring, at least. I hope you and she are close enough to call one another friends," He gave a nod to Blossom. "I have to admit, the lady is right. He isn't always boring," He shrugged, and smiled. "As my brother and I are so close, I do tease him a bit more than perhaps I should. I do wish I could have convinced him to come to this," He sighed. "Perhaps he might have fun for a change.. he really needs it, once in a while."

"Well, his idea of fun differs from yours," Blossom pointed out with a little shrug, but decided not to get into that too much. And just as well, for at that moment a young man in a fox mask approached and greeted them politely before applauding Fairy. Blossom, after a small nod in greeting, went quiet and listened while he spoke, a tiny smile of amusement on her face.

Dragon couldn't help a little grin as he watched the proceedings, but managed to stay quiet. It was Golden who did speak up, and encouraged the young man to ask Fairy to dance, and it was a struggle not to grin too much as he watched for the young man's reaction to the suggestion.

@Arnyn

The Fox

His gaze flicked toward Golden as he spoke, surprised by the man's suggestion to ask her to dance. He blinked. Not only did the guy seem a bit familiar, but he had definitely not expected him to say what he had. Fox's eyes swiftly flicked toward the other two. He hesitated for maybe half a second while he processed the suggestion, before his gaze returned to Fairy. He smiled slightly, trying to hide a bit of nervousness, or awkwardness. "Well, I didn't want to intrude upon your group," He offered an explanation for why he had not asked the lady to dance from the start. He had actually not quite planned on asking her, merely because she was in the company of another lady, but since he was put on the spot, it seemed ruder to not ask, now. And it wasn't like he was opposed to it.

Therefore, he bowed to her with well-practiced formality, covering up his surprise and uncertainty as well as he could before he straightened. "If it there is no objection to my asking, would you like to dance.. Lady Fairy?" He asked her, using the name that Golden had used for her as he checked whether she was even interested in having a dance. He smiled as he concluded, "I would be greatly honored to dance with a fairy." His smile widened a little, but he refrained from adding on anything like 'especially after the extremely awesome thing you did earlier'.

Then, realizing that he might have come at an inopportune time after all, since she had a cup of hot chocolate in her hand, he hastened to add, "Although, I see that you have a drink, and I would not dare to expect you to finish it in haste, nor would I ask you to abandon it for my sake." He assured her with sincerity.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn

King Cheddar

It seemed his luck was on the rise, like a bright rising sun. To think he almost avoided this entire party, now he seemed on the verge of tremendous bounty. His grin was fixated on his face, his eyes never wavering from Red’s alluring, masqued face. He didn’t need to see around them, able to hold and move her elegantly throughout the dance floor with the other dancing couples, without incident or trip. They were in their own world right now, even though they were surrounded by dozens of well-dressed men and women. It felt like the world and atmosphere was a mile away, with him and Red in a bubble.

A bubble maybe he should have ran from. The person beneath the masque would have known better. But he didn’t want to know better. He wanted to find his delights and enjoyment at the masquerade. Stop and smell the roses, so to speak. And crimson was the brightest, foremost of the roses, were they not?

He felt her hand graze upwards around his neck, a most intimate hold, but he welcomed it, his face moving slightly as if to fit better into the basin of her palm. She was talking about navigation and he had to give a little laugh. ”I do not disagree. I know from experience, the south is certainly more pleasant. And warmer. I often enjoy my time there. Many delights to be…” his tongue roamed his upper lip for a moment as he thought of an appropriate word, savoured.” he concluded with a half-smirk. Oh, now the game was immensely fun.

As her own hand moved higher, his hand on her side drifted around the curve of her waist, to the small of her back. With a little nudge, he brought their bodies so minutely closer together, eyes, lips, chests just mere inches apart. ”A challenge for such a commendable title? You know me very well, my Lady. If you require a demonstration, greater than the one you have now, it would be my pleasure to show you, the differences between north and south. And why south is better.” He shrugged his eyebrows playfully and suggestively at her. ”You’ll find there is no waters that I am not dauntless enough to dare or test.” He said in a husky whisper, leaning back and giving her an affirming nod. Just try me. What could possibly go wrong?

@Rillewen

Lady Swan

She giggled when Nymph confessed she didn’t even know her new friend’s name or what alias should be given. Its okay, the pair of them loved naming things so Swan was sure they would figure that out soon too. She soon had a plate full of delicacies, some of which she had never seen before, and went with Nymph to find the table and their friend, speaking along the way. Her eyes beamed with delight at the news that Nymph’s scheme tomorrow was taking place closer to Swan’s lodgings rather than in the City.

”And I’ll say I’m going to visit you. No one will be any wiser about what we’re about.” She grinned towards her friend. ”Yes, please ask. I don’t want to impose or anything and you know it’s not polite society to tag along to a…conspiracy.” She giggled again. Their attempts to learn archery and other skills beyond the purview of their family was their conspiracy, as both their parents seemed dead set against the pair of them being anything but traditional, noble women.

”An inn in the City! So is it like, a party every evening? Music, festivities, eating,” Swan inquired, never having really been to an inn or tavern. All she knew was stereotypes and stories. It always sounded like a party. Not to mention the drinking, the ruckus, and the fighting…

They reached the table where Nymph’s new friend was, Swan setting her plate down first before she turned to face the new friend, giving a little curtsey in greeting. ”Hello, it’s nice to meet you,” she said to the young woman in green and pink and when invited to sit, Swan took her seat. It was a round table, with Swan on the right, Nymph the mutual friend in the middle, and the new friend on the left. She was enjoying a lovely slice of pie and Swan couldn’t wait to dive into her own plate. She also had a slice of pie, alongside some grapes, melon slices, a honey encrusted bun, a small bowl of cream, and a small, spiral like pastry with glazed frosting over it, with a cup of cranberry juice to complete her meal. After all the dancing she had done, she was famished. And there may yet be more dances to be had.

The new girl complimented Swan’s dress, which had her cheeks flush with colour. ”Thank you so much! Your dress is such a lovely combination of colour, too! Like flowers in the forest.” Swan praised the young woman in return. ”I’ve already been dubbed Swan by a handsome Fox. You can call me that if you like. The feather though comes from a peahen, an exotic bird from Harad. And how about yourself? I wish I had more pink in my wardrobe.” She inquired, as she picked up a grape and popped it in her mouth.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen
|
Forest Nymph & Undecided

The idea about each claiming to be visiting the other made Nymph grin at Swan. It wasn't even a total lie! They would be visiting each other.. just not where they were going to claim to be. Nymph shrugged slightly in answer to Swan's question about the inn. "Not really. It's what mother calls 'high class' or something like that. There's not a lot of excitement going on, which I suppose is why my father chose it. My brother says the inns on the lower level are much more.. exciting." She explained. "But the dining room is nice, and they keep the rooms clean."

As they took seats at the table which the other girl had claimed, she smiled as her new friend greeted them. "I was called 'Forest Nymph' by a lady I spoke to," She declared with a little giggle. "I like that."

"Ooh, Swan, and Forest Nymph. Both are very fitting!" The other girl declared with a smile, then blushed lightly at the return compliment from Swan, about her own dress. "Oh, thanks! Flowers in the forest, really?" She brightened a bit at the imagery those words evoked, smiling a bit dreamily. "That sounds so pretty." She thought for a moment as she chewed another bite of her pie. "A peahen from Harad?" She took another look at the feather, a bit wide-eyed. "How did you get it? Aren't they.. hostile, there? What's a peahen like? Have you ever seen one?"

Nymph giggled lightly at all the questions. "Your brother got it for you, didn't he?" She asked Swan, guessing based on what she knew of him.

The unnamed girl glanced down at her dress as Swan commented, as if in jealousy. She was quite sure no one had ever been jealous of her clothing before, so it was quite new! "Oh.. it isn't mine," She admitted, the faint blush returning. "I mean, it's.. um, borrowed." She explained, with a trace of awkwardness, before she brushed those thoughts away and focused on what else Swan had said. "I don't really know what I should be called, though," She added with a tiny frown of contemplation. "I've only ever been called by my name.. or, well.. generally." She gave a soft laugh. "But for this? I don't know. What do you two think?" She wondered, somewhat impressed by the fun names they had been given for the evening.

"Some sort of flower, perhaps?" Nymph suggested, trying to think of any flowers she could that might grow in the forest. "Maybe.. primrose? Azalea? Or... ooh!" She grinned over at Swan. "Foxglove!" She looked back at Unnamed. "We both love foxes," She explained with a little laugh. "I've seen some lovely peach-ish pink colored foxglove growing near my home, and that made me think of it." She added.

Unnamed laughed lightly. "Well, whatever you two think fits me best, I'll go with it." The girl decided, grinning at how much fun she was having already. And it seemed that she'd made some friends! That was always nice.

Child of Gondor
Redman
Dancing with Snowflake
@Rillewen

The pair moved across the floor in unison with the other couples. He had recovered from his slight misstep and looked at her while his compliment seemed to make her blush. It only seemed to make her more beautiful, if that were possible. She then turned her attention to complimenting him which he returned with a small smile. She then asked if he had an alias, he preferred to be called for the evening. Her suggestions caused his smile to widen. He glanced down at his outfit. "Well.." he spoke looking back at her and guiding them into a turn he answered. "I just figured it's got red sooo maybe...Redman. Simple I know. You're welcome to change it if you wish."
He gave her an appraising eye. "I believe I'll call you Snowflake." His voice dropped abit as his features became softer. "One of a kind, unique and flawless in its beauty." Before she could object, he guided her into a spin that had her coming back around to face him. A smile welcomed her. "How about something to drink, without chaperones." He quickly added.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Lantaelen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

Dauntless indeed, for he was not shying away. Quite the opposite. His words pleased her. For just a moment, she wondered just how aware he was of what he was saying. For if he was, then the easy way he was going along with her words was almost unbelievable. Was she wrong about him being a nobleman, perhaps? She could hardly imagine even the rashest of them speaking as he did. More often than not, they were not witty enough to engage in such a conversational sparring contest with her. And on the off chance they were, they were usually too uptight. Who was this man?

The way his hand slid around her waist to the small of her back, however, reinforced her idea that he did possess both wit and daring. And when he brought her that little bit closer to him, as she herself had been considering to do just moments before, satisfaction crept into her smile. The look in her eyes grew more intent. This was a proximity she liked. So close, that one of them had but to lean in just that last little bit. So close, that what little distance remained charged the air between them. And then he went and offered a demonstration, no less. Red took a moment to surmount her surprise, as well as to suppress the urge to lean in further to test those waters just a little more.

She hummed thoughtfully as she maintained her sensuous smile for him a moment longer. Then she slowed her movements and moved the hand at his neck back to his shoulder. She drew their dance to a halt and untangled her hand from his to wave some air at her face. "I must offer my apologies, sir," she said, speaking a tad louder now, and sounding a bit breathless. "I fear..." she breathed in and out slowly and deeply, as if she was not getting enough air. "The crowd is getting to be a bit too much." She put her ungloved hand on her chest, on the skin just above her neckline. "I am... a bit short... of breath." She was clearly trying to keep herself steady by holding onto his shoulder, but seemed to be losing the battle at present as she was forced to lean into the arm he still had curled around her. A few of the dancing couples around them were casting looks their way. Red's sultry eyes looked up at Sir Dauntless, wondering if he would offer his assistance.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
The Gilded
“You know what?” Gilded leaned slightly towards Teal with a teasing grin and confided in whisper: “Perhaps you should try adding a strong beet infusion to your hair? It would surely create an interesting colour.” She looked at him sideways and then added: “Though I think your hair is good just the way it is.”

“I’ll try not to speak of dancing in every second sentence I say, and every time I see you,” she laughed, though in her mind it was not a bad subject for conversation. “Suppose dancing on the field would also be great, even without all the elaborate decorations and a bunch of people in expensive clothing. I don’t think birds, and even a herd of horses for company is that bad.”

Red Rooster
“I might know a guard or two; most of them are good folks,” Rooster responded, with a small grin. “That is, when meeting them in a tavern, for example. Though I would rather not cross them on duty, especially after having done something criminal.”

His eyes followed her nod to see who might be Orchid’s uncle, and then he said in a quiet voice again: “On the sidelines… Judging me, he is, or is he not?” He laughed lightly.

“True. If you were to venture out on your own, you’d need many more hours to explore the city and its surroundings than if you went sight-seeing with someone who can show you places,” he said, and added after a brief thoughtfulness. “Should we set an approximate time for a tour then, in case you can escape?”
Amethyst
“Yes. Surprising. Anything but,” Amethyst allowed herself to make use of the relative anonymity offered by the mask to engage in light teasing back at the Lady Cat. “If only you did not make such a statement by your costume! Though I would suppose that people might also wear an image of some creature they do not exactly like.”

She smiled and shook her head minutely. “The dress is unique; I doubt you’d find any other like that in the city,” she said. “But I would suppose that yours is also custom made, no?”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Fairy
&
Golden Sunbeam

"We are," Golden confirmed without a trace of hesitation. "The best of friends. We're different but also similar." And they would die for each other, he added mentally - but such a comment seemed entirely too serious for casual conversation. "And our differences let us help each other out when we need it the most. You know?" He caught the Fairy smiling at that, which strengthened his suspicions. Didn't that smile look just like his sister's?

Looking back at the Dragon, Golden listened to the man in gold and green talk more about his brother. At Blossom's interjection, Golden hummed thoughtfully. "Well, sometimes a sibling needs to push another sibling a bit. To make sure they remember play - not just work. I know what that's like. After all, if you've never tried something, then how do you know you won't enjoy it?"

Meanwhile, the Fox smiled faintly at the Fairy, and the lady gave an understanding smile in return. They were both of them put on the spot by Golden's suggestion. Any offer he made now could not possibly seem genuine - although she had to admit that the Fox didn't do a bad job of making it seem like he really wanted to dance with her. It was the way his smile grew just enough, combined with the statement about being honored to dance with a fairy. When he mentioned the hot chocolate, though, she looked down at the cup for a second before a slow smile tugged at her lips. "That will not be a problem," she stated with irrevocable certainty, right before she took a step toward Golden and offered him the cup with a smile.

Golden took the hot chocolate off her hands without missing a beat. "I will guard it with my life, lady Fairy," he vowed, giving her a small bow. Her eyes lingered on him for a moment. "Very cute," she said non-committally, before turning her attention back to the Fox. "With that taken care of... I'd love to dance." Mentally, she was laughing. What were the odds that her first three dances of the evening - which would also likely be her only three dances of the evening - would be with three men she actually knew?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
@Rillewen

Night Sky Courtier 1 - Youngest, with the Wildflower

I think that might tell you more what I think about the girls who come to know me,” he shrugged. And refrained from clarifying further aloud, for risk of proving his point far too soon. Most girls so far as he could figure anyway, cared most about their hair and clothes and doing things that did not ruin those clothes or mess up that hair. It was a rare breed of girl indeed who might find the things which he enjoyed any sort of ‘interesting’. How many would give their entire day to running, just for the sake of it, or exploring just about anywhere, learning what new sights, sounds, smells could tell ..? No, there were not many girls who would find him very interesting, not once they got to know him. His sisters did not count, for they were almost a part of him. They’d been there from near enough the beginning of him, were a part of every memory he could want to recall, and somehow they had come to care, to never give up on him, despite all of the ways he drove them crazy. He could think of only two other girls who he could count on in that way, who were not ‘sisters’. One he'd not long since admitted .. was too old to really be considered still a ‘girl’ at all. The other .. too young to really think of in any other way.

This girl though, this pink-dipped pretty young miss, she was not his sister. What she actually was though, he had no idea, for she turned his head both ways at once. She spoke .. almost too politely, as though she would rather not speak to him at all if she had the choice, and yet she did not give up or just go away, even when he had been lapse enough to give her opportunities to do so. Her dress was definitely the sort of thing which called for attention and fuss. And yet her hair swung loose. Even the intricate mural about her face was fenced in by the delicate filigree mask, like wild flowers locked behind bars. And her eyes, there was more than one colour pooling there. But most especially, the pendant hung about her throat upon a golden chain .. when the rest of her outfit was silver. So either she did not care that it did not match, or else she cared about that pendant and that particular chain so very much, that it mattered more to her than thoughts of matching. If he could be sure about one thing, it was that she .. was interesting.

He nodded once then, as she pushed her hair behind one ear, almost coy if you could forgive the hint of some tease in her smile, and obliged the short span of steps that took them to the dancefloor. Careless he proved, walking boldly backwards into the throng of revellers, as though he might clear a path, even if it meant causing any sort of anarchy, in order for her to come after, unhindered. When the tables, seats, and all thoughts of food or drink stood far from thought or reach, the young Night Sky stalled his path, drew her in from the extension of both their arms, until she stood quite close enough to see just how long he might hold her interest. And in that moment the fates decided that the fast, lively music which he favoured, came to a rather epic conclusion, and what rose up in it’s place were the soft strains of a slow dance, tiptoeing into a different sort of temptation.

A slow dance. The kind that you were subjected to by your grandmother. The sort which he would willingly walk through, for a sister. But for a girl who was not any sort of relative .. there were certain expectations once the rowdier melodies gave way. He hoped that she did not see the subtle swallow at his throat as he readied to take up the Starlit Lady’s advice. Stars save the both of them, with whatever might come of it. But he could not retreat, even when perhaps he ought to. Experience had proven that much before now. The only way to find out what might happen after all, was to let whatever .. happen. How bad could it really be ?

There was nothing he could think of to say save an apology for getting them into .. this, and now that they were there, and facing .. this .. he still could not have rightly said that he felt properly sorry about it. He was .. interested. So instead he took her held hand out in a smooth orbit above the rest of her, advocating the lady into a twirl if she did not resist. At it’s conclusion, her free hand would find his, poised to calmly catch her spin from a face-on collision. And then before either of them might concern on how close they suddenly had come to stand, instinct rocked a subtle sway into a slow series of smooth steps that spun them into motion. Of course, he could not have said what his feet were doing exactly, for his focus was entirely upon those eyes.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Snowflake

"Hmm," She considered his outfit a little more thoughtfully as he replied that he had simply thought of calling himself Redman. "But there is more black in your suit than there is red," She pointed out, although she couldn't help notice that his smile had grown a little at the suggestions she had offered. There were probably plenty of other possible names that some people might have thought of, but she preferred the ones that had already been suggested.

Before she could come to any sort of decision about what name would be bestowed on him, he announced his choice to call her snowflake, which worked out great, since she'd already been figuring on either snow or snowflake. So far no one had actually needed an alias for her, other than the one she and her brothers had decided upon in advance. But that one did not work for others outside of their circle.

When he went on to explain his thoughts for why he chose that, over other possible snow-related names, she was surprised. So, it wasn't merely because 'snowflake' was an obvious choice, given her outfit and mask. Her lips parted slightly in surprise, though she had no idea quite what she ought to say to that. But she had no chance to say anything before she was led into a twirl. By the time she had come back to face him, her expression had softened into a shy smile. Rather than object to the words and question their sincerity, she decided to simply accept it.. at least for tonight. After all, she was dressed up more fancy than she ever had been, and figured, why not?

When she heard him ask about getting a drink, a little laugh escaped her. A slightly teasing look gleamed in her eyes as she replied, "Tired of dancing with me already?" She couldn't help asking. And, perhaps letting show a bit more of her normal self. But then she went on to add, "What sort of drink? They have a lot of options. I heard they even have hot drinks. I wouldn't mind trying one of those," She added thoughtfully, before grinning a little as she added a little joke, "I suppose wearing all this snow has made me a little cold."

Recalling that she had been going to decide on a name for him, she mentioned with a little grin, "Perhaps I should call you Sir Embers," She suggested. "I mean, think of how funny that would be.. a Snowflake dancing with Embers..." She had to grin at that thought.

@Pele Alarion

Teal

The suggestion of using beets to color his hair made him laugh. "Ohhhhh wow, yeah that would be... something else." He grinned, amused as he imagined himself with purplish red hair. It might be interesting, but then he'd end up with pink hair eventually, and made a face at that thought. "Actually, no, I think I'm good." he declared, shaking his head. He smiled though, when she said that she thought his hair was fine as it is. "Thank you." He looked at her with the smile lingering. "I think even if yours could be colored easily, I would prefer it just the way it is, too."

He tried another of the items from his plate, and then tried not to laugh when she declared her intention to not speak of dancing every other sentence.. only to then mention dancing again immediately after. He swallowed what he had in his mouth, and took a drink of his juice. "Maybe, while I'm here, I should look into taking some dancing lessons," He suggested with a small grin. "Perhaps you and I could even take the lessons together." He then paused, tilting his head thoughtfully. "Well.. assuming that it wouldn't cost too much. And, well. I have no idea where we'd even go for something like that... but I'm sure we could find out." He gestured toward the dance floor. "All those people must have learned from somewhere, right?" It made sense that there was probably somewhere in the city that would offer lessons for this sort of thing.. especially if they had a ball like this every winter.

@Pele Alarion

Yellow Orchid

As he spoke of the guards, and how they were mostly good folks, Orchid nodded thoughtfully. She considered what he had said, and while she was debating whether to say anything else on the topic, he distracted her from it by asking if her uncle was judging him or not. She laughed. "Oh, I doubt it," She answered, smiling a little bigger. "I imagine he is more likely watching to see if he can recognize anyone that he knows. And missing my aunt, since she could not attend." She explained, though left the details as vague as she could manage.

She was happy to change the subject on to the tour of the city and Pelennor. "Perhaps.." She considered for a moment. "Where would be a place that a person could rent a horse?" She asked, thinking that such a place as that might be the best meeting place. "If I can come, then I could meet you there about... noon perhaps? And if not, then I will at least send a message to let you know. That way, you aren't waiting around for no reason. Would that work?"

@Pele Alarion

Lady Cat

She let out a little laugh. "Ah, but what would be the fun in dressing up if you cannot make a statement with what you're wearing?" She asked with a smile, lightly touching the lacy mask she wore. "It would not be nearly so enjoyable if I had, for instance, chosen a.." She paused to think of another animal that would fit here, "rabbit, or raccoon. While they are cute to look at, I just would not feel the same connection, I think." She shrugged slightly.

When the lady confirmed that her dress was indeed unique, Lady Cat smiled softly at being correct in her guess, then gave a grin at the return question. "Of course." She answered without hesitation. "I have some very talented seamstresses who handle all of my clothing needs," She added, guessing the other lady must be similar in this.

Sitting back, she sighed softly and looked out toward the dance floor. "Are you hoping for any other gentlemen to come along and ask for a dance with you?" She wondered curiously, wondering how many of the gentlemen there were present who did not seem to be 'taken' already.

@Arnyn

The Fox

Watching the lady pass the mug of chocolate to the other guy's keeping, Fox was a bit surprised, but he grinned slightly when he declared that he would guard it with his life. In light of this, he bowed to her again before offering his arm. Her statement that she would love to dance made him glad that he had offered, at least.. if she was sincere in saying so.

After they had set out for the dance floor, he commented, "I hope I did not take you away from your friends, or from a conversation you would rather have stayed for?" He mentioned, with genuine concern. Finding a spot on the floor, he maintained a polite smile while placing one hand lightly at her back at a proper level, while holding the other up. "Do you enjoy dancing, Lady Fairy?" He asked as he began to lead her into a basic style of dance to start with.

@Arnyn & @Ercassie
|
Green Dragon | Blossom

Watching with amusement as Fairy wordlessly charged Golden with holding her drink, Dragon tried to hold back a grin, at least until she had gone off with the young fox. "Well, she certainly picked the most trustworthy guy to hold her drink," He commented with a little laugh. "Since you said you weren't very interested in drinking chocolate, at least she doesn't have to worry as much about you deciding to just drink it yourself."

Blossom smiled slightly and shook her head slightly in amusement at the young men. One sending her off to dance with that even younger man, and the other now joking about drinking her hot chocolate.. she decided not to comment on that, and hoped the dance wasn't some sort of prank on Fairy, or on Fox. She felt somehow that there was something like amusement in Golden's tone when he suggested they should dance, although she couldn't be certain. "Well, I am glad to hear that your sister and you are so close," She told Golden, returning to that topic, which seemed safer. She quietly sipped her hot chocolate. She went quiet for now, deciding to stay out of the conversation for now, unless they purposely included her again.

"Indeed," Dragon nodded, agreeing, reminded that he had been going to comment on that too. "And yes; I know exactly what you mean," He smiled. "My brother and I are like that, too. Someone once told us that we made an excellent team, because of our differences. It makes sense, even if we get on each other's nerves at times." He grinned and leaned his side against the bar, facing toward both of the other two, while glancing over to where Fairy was now dancing with Fox. "I don't know if it's just my imagination, but that lady.. do you know her?" He asked curiously, glancing toward Golden curiously. "I only ask because.. well, she reminds me a lot of someone that I knew a few years ago." He explained. "If it is her, then it would be very good to see her again, but.. I'm not sure if it is her."

Pink Wildflower

Curious, she tilted her head up at him and slightly to one side, as if questioning what he meant about the sort of girls that had come to know him. "Are many of the girls you know.. unpleasant?" She wondered if that was what he meant. "And you want to make them go away and leave you alone?" She wondered if he would rather not be bothered by her.. but then, he was the one who approached her, she reminded herself. "What sort of girl would you not want to run off?" She was rather curious, after hearing all about another lady who had apparently captured his attention, whether any others could compete or compare.

As they moved toward the dance floor, she couldn't help smiling faintly in suppressed amusement as she observed him walking backward, almost as if to prove that he could, and somehow did not collide with anyone else who was already there. Her hand in his ensured that she did not fall far behind, and so she arrived at the dance floor at the same time as him. Just in time for the song to end. She briefly glanced around, unsure if they'd just had really bad timing, or...

Thankfully, another swiftly replaced that one, and it was the sort of song which encouraged a more romantic sort of pairing. While she inwardly felt that was perfect, when she glanced back at him, she wondered. Was it her imagination, or did he seem almost.. nervous? She couldn't quite tell if that was the cause for him taking a pause, but it didn't take long before he brought her right into a smooth twirl. A smile lit her face as she spun under the direction of his hand, the flowy skirt of her dress flaring out just slightly with the motion. She continued smiling as she came back to facing him, caught just in time. For a heartbeat, they stood so close together that she could have put her arms around him and hugged him.

Obviously, such a thing would not be appropriate with him not knowing who she was, and so she didn't even entertain the notion, but rather, she let him guide them into the dance that he chose. It certainly helped that she'd had some practice with dancing before this evening, for it enabled her to not think so hard about where she stepped, and simply looked up into his warm brown eyes, smiling. The evening was turning out to be quite wonderful after all, she decided happily.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn

King Cheddar

Red had all the mystery and depths of the ocean. There was a deepness to her eyes that he couldn’t penetrate or read, but he knew within them, the sightlines to her soul, there was something there that was mysterious and enigmatic, luring him in. Making him act…brash. And foolish. But if it was wrong, why did it feel so fun? He thought it was harmless. No one was getting harmed or hurt. But there was also other ways to hurt and harm, that wasn’t only physical. He might be a moth dancing too close to fire.

There certainly was heat, so much so that Red abruptly ceased their dancing and seemed to be overtaken by the stifling pressure, exclaiming it was hard to breathe, and she apologized for it. Cheddar stood back, his eyebrow piqued a moment in curiosity, not sure what was going on but also…not entirely believing her ploy. Because it was so meant to be a ploy. They hadn’t even been dancing vigorously. Or that surrounded by many bodies. But what did he know? He knew enough to be bold. He found his smile again in half a heartbeat, giving a curt, formal bow of his head.

”No apologies necessary, my Lady. Perhaps I might escort you out of the hall, for a brief walk, to garner some cool, refreshing air? It is rather crowded in here.” He agreed with her, feeling her hand on his broad shoulder, her other on her chest, as if referencing how tight and pressured her chest felt. He took her hand off his shoulder and wrapped it around his bicep instead, his other hand patting it encouragingly, keeping her close as he chaperoned her out of the party hall. ”I got you.” He said in a low whisper and a wider grin, flashing his white teeth at her. And together, slowly, barely constrained excitement, he walked the pretty lady out of the hall, heedless of the eyes upon them. He was just helping a lady get some air and go for a little walk around the grounds.

Nobody knew who they were. He didn’t even know who Red was… But that was all apart of the masquerade game.
@Rillewen

Lady Swan

The first pair of eyes to see Cheddar and Red depart was Swan, which drew her pointed gaze for several seconds until the pair disappeared out the door. What…? But her attentions drew back to her two companions, as they discussed nicknames and a possible alias for the new friend. She smiled kindly over when they both seemed to ask how Swan got her feather.

”Actually, my father got it from me, from some trader who came up, from beyond Umbar. He told me there’s going to be a lot of new and wonderful things, coming up from the southlands, now that the War is over.” She explained to the two, dipping her head a little, in case the other girls wanted to touch and feel the exotic feather. Her father had gotten it, not her brother, for twofold reasons. One, to be a good father, but two, to indicate the purity of his House and youngest daughter, to the family she was to be wed to. Again, she knew there was an expectation that she would have to meet, or be found, by her so-called betrothed. She was loathe to ask Nymph about it. The more she could delay, the better. But the anticipation was eating her up inside.

She would rather dance with Sir Fox again.

Swan exchanged a look with Nymph as the new friend wondered what she should be dubbed, in lieu of using her actual name, which wasn’t permitted by masquerade traditions. Not that she and her friend were exactly prim and posh rule-followers. She liked primrose, but Nymph blew that out of the water when she suggested…Foxglove. ”That’s perfect” Swan nodded rapidly, smiling over to the other girl. ”It is pink like you and the bees love them. But thankfully there’s no bees here or we’d be in trouble!” She chuckled. ”And while it has nothing to do with actual foxes, foxes are always good omens. Well, for us at least.” She laughed nervously, but Foxglove seemed to accept it, so that’s who she was now. Did it have anything to do with actual foxes? Maybe Nymph knew.

”Foxglove, Nymph, Swan, such a lovely theme we have here. Almost like something out of an elf fairy tale.” Swan mused with glee to her friends. And there might be an actual elf here! The Queen. ”There’s another Fox individual here. Red haired, like a red furred fox. Have you two done much dancing? If not, you should seek out the Fox Prince.” She encouraged her companions. ”He’s so courteous and clever. And he seems about our age.” She said, as she used a fork to break off a piece of pie and have a taste. Strawberries and cream, perfect combination.

”Did you come here with family or anyone?” She then asked Foxglove, wondering where she was, how this friendship might proceed if they knew nothing about one another that could allow it to continue outside these halls.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

On the dancefloor

When the floral-faced beauty gazed up at him, it was difficult for the youngest Night Sky not to lose himself in exploring those eyes. Perhaps it was because they were all of the real woman he could truly see, and he was caught there. Those wide, bright eyes called to him like the pull to leap off the top of a cliff. As much exhilarating as alarming. His bare hands traversed the smooth fall of her blushing gloves, and he raised one of the lady’s hands between them, turning it over as though he’d never seen such a thing before. And yet, no, it was not strange. It reminded him of when he and his friends had come home, stained up to both elbows with the blood of blackberry juice, after an attempt to make pie just like their grandmothers. Though saying so aloud would likely not make sense to her, he was struck by the memory all the same, and offered a slight duck of his head then loosed her other hand, and spun her so that the pink lady’s back was pressed against his chest instead. With her arms loose across her chest, he kept a hand at either side, and leaned in so that her head came to rest back on his shoulder, as though they had been made somehow to fit that way. The music draping them in a slow lullaby of peace where time stopped.

How could it be that she was such an unexplored terrain and at the same time stir such a trust in him, that he could not have explained. And did not want to let go. When they spoke, the words might as well be rocks. Dropped to the floor between them with an uncomfortable crash. But now they had stopped, .. it was some manner of adventure indeed, like venturing into a foreign land, to find how different could things he knew, like grass and sky look when home was far away and forgotten. Could he blame the atmosphere, the ambience ? What in the actual stars had been in that pineapple juice ?

I don’t find girls unpleasant,” he laughed a little, recalling her apparent concern, and keen to reassure her. Keen to come back to himself, somewhat. “If I’d wanted to be left alone, I wouldn’t have asked you to dance,” he acknowledged aloud, before it even rightly registered in his heart. Brown eyes promised sincerity as much as the uncertainty as he considered her with new intrigue. “But when you said yes, was that .. did you want to dance, with me, or did you want .. to dance ?” he put a question to her, doubting he should receive any reasonable answer. After all, she was probably a figment of his imagination at this point. He had probably slipped o the polished floor and hit his head, and this was all some messed up imagining based on what the Starlit Lady had advised. Like an ethereal faery delivering him into a dream forest of the unwoken world.

But whether his flowering partner was real or no, chances were he would never see her again after this evening. Maybe they would pass each other, oblivious, on the street tomorrow, and all the days thenafter, but her accent suggested even that was unlikely. Tonight would likely be as rare as she. So he would never have this chance again. And he had meant to ask her something. But this time, he honestly had completely forgotten what that might have been now.

I wanted to dance with you,” he realised, and almost startled to, maybe only as he put it into words. “Though I would normally not dance like this,” he confessed. It had taken weeks of incessant drilling from his cousin to perform the showpiece earlier, just perfect. And he had been as glad to manage it as he was to see how happy it had made his partner. But he had not embraced the lessons for a new skill that he would likely ever need again. He normally would not dress like this either of course, but assumed that was a given. The entire room of folks was absurdly extraordinary tonight. That must be what it was then. It was not him, maybe it was not even her. They really had all fallen under some crazy enchantment. The world had introduced more strange things into this year, after all. Strangely he did not seem to want to fight it, although he might just have to punch BroT tomorrow for bringing it all down on them with that song of his. Was this sea-girl-friend of Hawk’s really a mermaid, come to raze them into ruin they would run to, willingly ?

I would not normally have even come to this sort of a thing. But seeing you,” he half laughed, and glanced for her from a different angle … It did not help at all. “You stopped all my thoughts about leaving,” he accused her, with a grin. Loosing one of her hands, as though to free himself of the enthralling spell, he unwound the pink lady with his other, so that she was facing him again. And in the midst of it all, he let her entre upper body drop backwards, plunging downward with her, with one hand curled swiftly about her waist, like an accommodating tree branch to keep her from falling. His other hand supported her neck as both those pink arms were flung up, with means to catch him about the shoulders. And then gently, he raised her up to find that face again. Feet on firm ground. Head .. who knew where honestly ..

How about .. you ?” he managed to breathe, with a gasp of relief behind a fast put upon smile. He eased her in close with a hand poised just behind her back to guide her, pressed her tight against him as though .. well, to keep her safe, until he realised .. how close .. and recoiled in half alarm. Thoughts thundered through his head, like did I nearly let her go ? And, how did I know she would trust me ? Somehow he’d known. Somehow .. he hadn’t killed her. For some reason though .. he had not kissed her .. What ? Why ? What ?

Drawing arms back into a safer position, he felt the fear of tremble leave those limbs and dared to seek what might be in those eyes now. “Is tonight what you expected ?
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
The Gilded
“I suspect my hair would not be that easy to dye a different hue even if I wanted to do that. In fact, there have been moments when I wished I could to make myself look more like a Rohir and not stick out like a sore thumb among all those blond people,” Gilded said quietly. At least here she did not have to be all up in arms and prepared to defend herself angrily to prove she was not anyone’s enemy and was not out to get people. She looked at her plate in silence for a while and then went straight for the dessert as if to sweeten away the unwelcome thoughts.

“Suppose we could ask around and see if any of our friends know of someone or someplace to take the lessons,” she suggested, after having feasted on the small bite of dessert. “Or – we could prance up and down the streets until someone decided to teach us.” Her dark eyes looked at Teal, and she grinned merrily at the thought.

Red Rooster
“You know, I find this knowledge rather comforting,” Rooster admitted, a rather silly grin on his face. “Somehow I do not fancy having your uncle take notice of me and then stalk me just because I’ve dared to dance with you for a good long while.”

He weaved the way around a few other couples that had come rather close to them, and then said: “Don’t worry about renting a horse. I’ll get a pair from people I know on the Pelennor, from acquaintances, in return for some assistance they might need at some point. No need to spend coin on it.”
Amethyst
“You are right,” Amethyst agreed, and then presented a different point of view: “Except a case if you were trying to hide from good friends who might know your preferences and expect you to be a Cat.”

“A lady must know how to make sure to look good at all times, is it not so?” she said on the topic of clothing. However, she would not think of looking down at any who would not be wealthy enough to have a plentiful choice of dresses at any given time.

She observed the dancers for a while too when she noted the Lady Cat doing so. “I am waiting for my husband to arrive, though I do not mind dancing with other gentlemen in his absence. Are you expecting someone in particular or are you simply taking the chances as they come?”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Fairy

The Fairy had taken the Fox's arm to walk out to the dance floor. Inwardly, she was wildly amused. He didn't seem to have an idea of who she was - and while that was of course the whole purpose of the evening, it didn't seem to get any less amusing. "I was enjoying myself," she replied, "but that does not mean I won't enjoy this," she added as she looked sideways at the Fox.

It was a strange thing, how she felt a measure of pride at his polite demeanour. As if she'd had anything to do with it, which she very well knew was not the case. "I do enjoy dancing," she replied and thus at once explained why she thought she'd enjoy this dance with him instead of continuing to talk to the Dragon, Blossom and Golden. "And since I get very little of it, I figure it is best not to deny any opportunities this evening." She smiled softly. "Do you enjoy dancing? Or do you prefer watching ladies throwing drinks in other young men's faces?" She laughed quietly. "Was that why you were in part concerned about my unfinished cup of hot chocolate? Figured it might soon adorn your attire if I decided you were asking out of turn?"

Golden Sunbeam

Golden let out a little bark of laughter. "Most trustworthy indeed. Of course, since the drink does not interest me, one might also argue I will not see the value in making sure it is still here upon the lady's return," he winked at the Dragon. Not that he would be so careless... but it was a funny thought, and one he couldn't resist sharing out loud.

With a smile at Blossom, Golden hummed his agreement. "It's a good thing," he confirmed. "She needs me. And I need her." He shrugged. "Even though we can go months without seeing each other, sometimes. Is it like that with you and your brother, as well? Or do you spend less time apart?" He inquired of the Dragon, intrigued that he had said he and his brother had a similar dynamic.

When Dragon asked Golden if the latter knew Fairy, Golden's gaze was drawn back to the winged blonde, as if he had followed Dragon's cue. After a moment of silence, Golden drew in a deep breath. "But you come from the northern lands," he mused, and only then realized he had not delivered a reason for his 'but', which made the loudly spoken thought rather incoherent. "Well, I mean - I'm not entirely sure. But I think, or am wondering, if she might actually be my sister. And she lives here. Although... she has travelled in the past," he added thoughtfully. "Some things about the Fairy make me think of her, as you say..."

"So... who was this someone?" Golden then asked, and he would have nudged the Dragon with his shoulder if he hadn't been holding two drinks. "Maybe the Fairy is your someone, after all. Or maybe she is my sister. Who is to say?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen
|
Forest Nymph & Foxglove

"Oh, how nice!" The girl, who would henceforth be known as Foxglove, declared, smiling upon hearing that Swan's father had gotten her the feather.

"Ohhh, I thought maybe your brother got it, during one of his voyages." Nymph explained, nodding though, to hear that it was brought by a merchant. "Have you ever seen one?" She asked Swan, curious about these peahens. She couldn't help wondering why they were called that, and if they had any sort of resemblance to peas. But those were green, and the feather Swan wore was white. Strange...

When the other two young ladies suggested several possible names, the other listened with surprised delight to have so many options thrown at her, in so short a time. But when the young forest nymph suddenly thought of Foxglove, and Swan seemed so eager to agree with that one, she couldn't possibly turn down such a suggestion. Especially since she had no objection to it! Foxglove let out a little laugh. "Alright then, that seems settled." She grinned. "I'm not sure I have ever seen any of those flowers, but I will take your word for it, both of you." She declared, curious what their interest was in foxes.

"Perhaps we are in an elven fairy tale?" Nymph suggested with a grin, before dropping her voice as she leaned closer. "I heard the queen might even show up, so that covers the 'elf' part, right?"

"Yes!" Foxglove agreed, "And this whole beautiful ball is like a wonderful fairy tale of some sort." She looked around joyously before returning her attention to her plate, to take a bite while letting the other two talk.

"No," Nymph replied with a little sigh, to the question about dancing. "I've only had one dance, with my father." She explained, then glanced around. "My brother is supposed to be around here somewhere, but I have no idea where." She shrugged, not really interested in finding him, either. "He insisted on keeping his outfit and mask absolutely secret, so he could be disguised even from us," She explained. "He could be anyone, I suppose." Then pausing, she couldn't help adding innocently, "I would imagine he might be found somewhere near the bar, though." He was almost always loitering near wherever there were drinks, especially free ones, after all.

Swallowing her bite of pie, Foxglove shook her head in answer to Swan's question, as well. "I've only just arrived, and I was really hungry," She admitted, almost a bit embarrassed. "So, I went straight for the food. But I do hope to have some dances! I just love dancing." She grinned happily, already looking a bit daydream-y as she glanced toward the dance floor.

"Close to your age, you mean," Nymph corrected Swan with a little giggle, when she mentioned the Fox Prince. "I saw you dancing with him earlier," She admitted with a little smile. "I'm glad he was courteous, and hope you had a nice time." She added, happy for her friend, although she had not really seen any gentlemen here that were reasonably close to her own age.

When Swan asked Foxglove if she had come with anyone, she paused from eating, and shook her head slightly. "No, I'm here alone." She answered, but smiled a bit. "I'm just really glad I was able to get here. I wasn't sure that I'd get here in time," She added with a light laugh. "There was so much to do before I could come, you know. Do either of you live in the city?" She wondered curiously.

@Ercassie

Pink Wildflower

As she was spun so that her back rested against him, Wildflower found herself rather intrigued. This was quite different than anything she had done in practice, and yet, somehow, she didn't feel at all out of place, or unsure of what to do. It felt almost more like being hugged gently from behind, and guided into the steps without having to think about it. Just gliding along with him. She smiled happily and considered closing her eyes to enjoy the moment even more.

When he spoke again, reassuring her that he did not want to run her off, her smile widened a little. Then returned to a smaller smile, when he asked if she wanted to dance, or if she wanted to dance with him. How could she actually answer that? If she said that she'd wanted to dance specifically with him, then he would want to know why, and that might be.. tricky. But she didn't want to lie, either, and say she'd only wanted to dance with anyone who offered. She tilted her head slightly, so as to try and gain a better viewpoint of his face, which was a little more difficult than usual, with their current positioning. "Yes." She smiled vaguely at him with a hint of teasing in her tone. Which, technically, could mean either one, or both.

Nightsky's confession that he had wanted to dance with her brought her smile back. "Oh?" She asked, inwardly thrilled to hear that. She listened with thoughtfulness as he went on, to tell her what she already knew. That he did not normally dance like this, and would not normally come to a thing like this. She was surprised then, to hear that she had stopped him from leaving. "I did?" She turned her head again, so her eyes could try and find his. "What exactly did I do to stop you?" She wondered, trying to hide a grin, though not very successfully.

And then, as he spun her again slowly back to face him, she was tilted backward, their faces suddenly quite close. The dark hair she wore was so long that the ends grazed the floor. Her eyes had no trouble finding his, now. Although her hands had come up by instinct, to catch his shoulders, she didn't feel the least bit alarmed. He wouldn't drop her. She knew him well enough not to feel any doubts, even if he didn't know who she was right now. And she hardly even noticed as they righted again, as their gaze was maintained.

Gloved hands remained resting lightly on his shoulders as they paused from dancing for a moment. For a brief moment, as she looked into his eyes, she wondered.. did he know? Had he guessed who she was, after seeing her eyes up close like that? And then, like that, the brief 'spell' was broken, and he stepped back. Was that an apologetic look? Or something else? She reminded herself, suddenly, to breathe. She was pretty sure she'd stopped at some point when she dropped backward and was caught safely in his arms.

“Is tonight what you expected?”

The question took her a moment to register, as she drew in a slow, deep breath. "No," She admitted with a small shake of her head, but she was smiling softly as she said it. "Not at all," She let out a soft laugh, remembering to use the accent. "I think I would say.. it's better than I expected, so far." She explained, smiling softly. "And you? Are you having a better night than when you thought about leaving?" She added with a tiny frown at that part. Thank goodness, he hadn't left! Otherwise, this whole evening would have been quite disappointing for her.

@Pele Alarion

Teal

He nodded slightly when she spoke of how she had before wanted to change her hair so not to stick out. "Well, I'm glad you didn't." He decided with a small smile. "It's part of who you are." He explained. "And you are... a great person, and you shouldn't ever have to feel like less than what you are." He smiled at her. "And besides, if you looked like everyone else, then it might be harder to tell you apart from all the others." He grinned slightly, only teasing about that.

He started on another morsel of food while she suggested the idea of asking their friends. "Yeah, good idea," He nodded in reply to her practical response. Then he laughed, hearing her suggestion of prancing up and down the streets. "I'm sure that would be amusing," He grinned. "I wonder if there's any laws against such things.. or, possibly, any sort of uppity folks who would disapprove." He considered that idea, wondering about the sort of people who lived in this city.

@Pele Alarion

Yellow Orchid

She laughed softly when he said he was comforted by the thought of her uncle not watching him. "Well, we are at a dance." She pointed out with a little smile. "I think the idea is to dance with people." She shrugged slightly. Technically, yes, they had been dancing together for a bit longer than was usual. But she hoped there would be no frowns about it, later. "It isn't like anyone else was asking me to dance," She added softly.

She tilted her head curiously at him when he said not to worry about renting a horse. "Oh?" She considered mentioning that it was not really any trouble for her to spend her coin, but decided against it. "Well.." She thought for a moment. "Then, where should I meet you?" She asked, since there was no need to rent a horse.

@Pele Alarion

Lady Cat

She took a moment to consider Amethyst's words about hiding from friends. That was certainly not something she had even bothered to think about, since she didn't really have any. And certainly no one here would know her. Unless.. she refrained from glancing toward the man she had last danced with, but couldn't help wondering if he was someone she ought to know.

"I am not from this city, so I very much doubt I would know anyone here." She pointed out with a small shrug of one shoulder. She smiled faintly, nodding as the other lady spoke of how important it was to look ones best at all times. "Oh, absolutely." She agreed.

Hearing Lady Amethyst's reply to the other question, she smiled slightly. "Oh, your husband did not come with you?" She asked, mildly surprised. "Is he supposed to seek you out, or will he already know what you are wearing?" She was curious. She had seen some couples arriving together, and others seem to find each other after arriving. The two young singers, for instance.

When the question came back to her, Lady Cat smiled. "Oh, I am taking any chances that come my way," She answered with a soft laugh, sitting back in her chair slightly to get more comfortable. "Although, it is also nice to speak to another female, in between dances." She considered for a moment, thinking on what she had said about 'hiding from friends'. "Are you hiding from any of your friends, Lady Amethyst?" She wondered, glancing at her with curiosity.

@Arnyn
|
Green Dragon | Blossom

Dragon laughed a little at Golden's claim that he might not guard it carefully. "Well, then you would be risking the wrath of a fairy, and I don't think that is a danger anyone would wish to call down upon themselves." He joked, and took a sip of his own hot chocolate. Nodding toward the two cups in Golden's hands, he mentioned, "You know, you could set those down on the counter, if you tire of holding them."

"Well, at least it would be easy to replace it, if something were to happen to the drink," Blossom pointed out with a small smile, before holding her cup up close enough to breathe in the rich, chocolatey aroma. "Mmm, the girls certainly missed out on this," She commented quietly, referring to her nieces.

That set Dragon wondering if they might possibly get a thermos of the stuff to go, when the time came to leave. But he was distracted from that thought when Golden asked whether he and his brother spent months apart, or not. He shook his head with a little grin. "No... actually, there's hardly a day that goes by when we are not together." He answered. "In fact, tonight is a rare occasion!" He declared with a light laugh. "I did try to convince him to come, but.. maybe it's better that he didn't. We probably could use some time apart, now and then." He admitted.

When he had asked about the Fairy, he was briefly confused by Golden's response, until he backed up and clarified his thoughts a bit more. Dragon nodded thoughtfully. "Hmm," He took another sip of his hot chocolate, thinking about the words the other guy had said. He smiled, though, when the question came about. Who was the someone? He paused to think of how to answer that. "I don't think it would have been your sister," He decided after a moment of thinking back, and grinned. "If your sister is anything like my brother, that is." He leaned his back lightly against the bar, holding back a little sigh. "The lady in question was someone we met a few years ago, near Bree.. but she didn't have any sort of accent, especially not like Lady Fairy has." He tilted his head, thinking. "But except for that.." He looked over at Golden. "Your sister's name wouldn't happen to be Celume, would it?" He had to ask.

@Arnyn

The Fox

For a second, when she said she had been enjoying herself, Fox had a fleeting concern that she might have rather stayed with her apparent friends, but he was soon reassured that she seemed perfectly fine with going with him to the dance floor, regardless. He smiled slightly. "Well, then I shall try not to disappoint you, lady Fairy." He promised, and his smile increased just a tiny bit when she said that she enjoyed dancing, and that she got so little of it, she wanted to make the most of it tonight.

Her question caught him off guard a bit, and he laughed slightly, ending with a grin as they stepped and turned smoothly across the floor. "Well, maybe I was just a bit concerned," He admitted with a smile. There was a hint of teasing in his eyes though, which suggested he wasn't entirely serious. "Actually, as much as I hate to acknowledge such a thing.. I, unfortunately, happen to know that guy." He admitted more seriously. "And while I don't know what he said to you.. I have no doubt whatsoever that he deserved exactly what he got." He explained with a little smile.. perhaps with a hint of mischievousness glinting in their blue depths. "Which is why it was such a delight to witness it." His smile spread into a grin.

"As for dancing," He remembered he hadn't answered that question, and took a moment to think. "When I was younger, I didn't want anything to do with this sort of stuff. I had to almost be dragged to dancing lessons," He admitted with a slight laugh. "But now? I don't know.. somehow it's different." He stepped back slightly while letting go of her waist, while his other hand brought their hands upward and guided her into a twirl. "Maybe it's the masks?" He suggested with a small shrug as she came back to facing him, and he smiled slightly at her. "I guess it just makes it more fun than typical dances..." Where everyone knows who's who, and where there were much greater expectations and rules, and everything was far stiffer and more formal... but he kept those thoughts to himself.

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

Lady Swan

”A peahen? Or a peacock? Not yet. But I want to. They have many amazing things down south, I heard. Oliphaunts, lotus flowers, giraffes, whatever those are, and some type of…striped black and white pony.” She explained to her friends, though she couldn’t confirm whether those were actually real or her father was just pulling her tail. Oliphaunts, her brother all but confirmed those were real. Many were destroyed not far from here, on the Pelennor she now stayed at with her family. Those poor creatures, dragged half way across the world for war and destruction…

They joked about being in an elven fairy tale. It felt like it, the beauty and elegance and grandiose setting they were in. With an actual King and Queen, somewhere in the hall! Nymph talked about having only a single dance so far, and none so far for Foxglove, which seemed to be a grievous blow to Swan. Why not? They were pretty girls! Though, Foxglove had the best priorities, going straight for the food tables. Swan probably would have planted herself here if she hadn’t received another portent from fate.

She was supposed to expect something else though. ”He’s supposed to find me, my betrothed.” She said quietly to Nymph about her brother. And including Foxglove as well with a look, letting her know the drama going on. ”My father says, it’s all some symbolism or something. He finds me in the crowd, anonymous, to show that it’s…predetermined.” She shrugged her shoulders, waving her fork around to dismiss the topic and rolling her eyes behind the masque. She didn’t want to think about it. She didn’t even want to see that man. He was so…oafish.

”The pie is very good,” she had to agree with Foxglove, and laughed when Nymph reminded Swan that she was older and thus had more opportunities. She tapped the side of her masque as she spoke next. ”So, you can be any age you want. We’re so older than our actual age.” Swan jested with Nymph, giving her a ticklish rub with her elbow. She looked around the crowd for a moment and thought she espied Sir Fox, already having another dance partner. Well…obviously. ”If you like, I can introduce you. Both of you.” She teased Nymph and Foxglove. She wanted them to have what she had, though they all could be in the same state of euphoria as she was.

Foxglove despite seeming about their age, had actually come alone! That was astonishing to Swan. Both her and Nymph were about the same age range as Foxglove, yet they had so many rules and restrictions on their movements. And here was Foxglove, all on her own. Amazing. She must live close then and in the same vein as Swan’s thoughts, asked where she and Nymph came from. That wasn’t supposed to be apart of the game, but Swan didn’t mind. She could keep it vague and still informative.

”Belfalas, actually. Came by ship to Harlond. My first time in the city! What about you?” She asked Foxglove in return, though she didn’t answer for Nymph, because that wasn’t her story to tell. ”Do you live near the City then? Or was it a long journey as well for you?” She inquired back Foxglove, though she wouldn’t mind if their new buddy remained vague as well.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

High Warden of Tower
The Gilded
Gilded felt warmth creeping up her cheeks, though she surely appreciated that Teal thought her a great person. She looked at him with a small grin, as she countered: “You say that as if it is a good thing to stand out. But maybe you are right. I’m not fully sure yet though.”

She snacked on the food a little bit, and then remarked: “Why, I bet there would always be some people who would not like silly things like that. And then there would probably be those who would join in the fun. But suppose there are other ways to go about things and not make ourselves look silly in public.”

To herself she thought that she would not even feel that bad if she embarrassed herself here – not many people knew her here that she should be mindful of. And yet, it was probably for the better to hold any excess silliness in check.

“I think the food here is superb,” she then said, as she tasted a little bit of the desserts she had picked.

Red Rooster
“Are you serious? No one had asked you to dance yet?” Rooster asked incredulously and tilted his head somewhat. “I’d say it is their loss that they haven’t! You are pretty and you dance well.” He flashed her a somewhat cheeky grin though compliments were meant sincerely.

“We could meet outside the Great Gate, so that horses can find a few blades of grass to munch on, in case you cannot get away very quickly,” he suggested, wondering how great the chances were that Orchid would not make it at all. But then again, it was not like he had much to do either way, and could wait around for a good while.
Amethyst
Amethyst could agree that there was not much used hiding at a ball where no one would even know you. “Perhaps you will at least make some acquaintances at this time,” she said to the Lady Cat. “Though never know if you could recognise them after.”

“He did not,” she then smiled as she answered about the absence of her husband. “But he will come. We are aware of each other’s costumes, so not much seeking. But as soon as I see him…” she left the sentence unfinished and laughed lightly.

She considered the Cat’s question on her hiding, and then lifted her eyebrow minutely behind her mask as she responded: “I am disguising myself just a little bit, from friends maybe, and from all and sundry. For a slight taste of a bit of harmless fun.”

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen
|
Forest Nymph & Foxglove

"Those all sound fantastic, I want to see a black and white striped pony someday." Nymph declared, grinning with enthusiasm at the mention of all those new and strange animals. She couldn't help wondering what a giraffe might be. It sounded quite exotic and curious. Was it some sort of wild, vicious beast, or something cute and cuddly that she could keep as a pet?

As Swan mentioned, with what sounded like regret, that her betrothed was supposed to find her, Foxglove was somewhat intrigued. "That sounds very romantic. But.. you don't seem very enthused.." She couldn't help but notice.

Nymph giggled slightly at the comment about pretending to be older. "Well, it's easier for you to do," She pointed out with a little shrug. "Everyone can tell you're at least old enough to be marriageable." Her own dress had a bit more of a childish look to it, as her parents seemed quite determined that it should not be designed in such a way as to make her appear like she was older than she is. As if they were afraid that she might be mistaken for an older girl, or something.

"I'm sure you'll find someone to dance with," Foxglove smiled reassuringly. "Are you two sisters?" She wondered, before recalling some of the conversation. "Oh, wait, sorry, you spoke of different fathers and different brothers."

"We might as well be, though!" Nymph grinned. "And will be, someday. Sisters in law, anyway. But I probably shouldn't tell you too much, I guess." She frowned, unsure how this masquerade thing actually worked.

Foxglove smiled slightly. "That must be fun." She laughed lightly at Swan's offer to introduce them to Fox. "But how will you introduce us, if you don't know who he is, nor who we.. well, I.. am?" She grinned. "Just kidding, though. If you'd like to, then that would be very nice! If he has a moment, anyway." She glanced toward where Swan had looked, and spotted him dancing with a lady in a stunning fairy like gown.

As Swan replied that they lived in Belfalas, Foxglove's green eyes widened in awe. "Wow! That must be so beautiful, I've heard so much about that area. Is it true they have ships that look like swans?" She asked, intrigued.

"There are many ships like that!" Nymph agreed. "They're so beautiful. Though I don't get to see them very often. I'm usually stuck at home, learning lessons and things."

"Wow, that must be a beautiful sight." She smiled a bit dreamily as she tried to imagine it, then was drawn from her thoughts as Swan asked whether she lived near the city. "Oh, me? I live in the city, yes. Not very far from here, in fact..." She smiled slightly. "I've always lived here. Well, not where I'm currently living, of course. I grew up down in the first circle, but.. wow, it seems almost like a whole other city, up here on the fifth. Have you gotten a chance to look around much?" She wondered, glancing from one to the other, curious when they mentioned it was their first time being here.

Nymph shook her head with a little sigh. "No, I haven't." She dropped her voice a little, "Though, I did sort of think about sneaking out at some point, to explore." She admitted with a little grin. Then she had another thought. "We'll have to find some way to keep in contact with you! Since we don't live in the White city, and you do, I'm not sure how we could do that." She glanced at Swan questioningly, wondering if she had any ideas.

@Pele Alarion

Teal

"Hmm, well. I suppose it depends on the circumstances." He shrugged. "If you were being pursued by bad people, then it would be better to blend in and not be as easily noticed in a crowd." He smiled slightly. "But if you were trying to catch someone's attention, then it's better to stand out, right?" He was mostly presenting random, unlikely scenarios for the sake of the conversation.

He grinned slightly. "I've heard there's definitely at least two people in the city like that. Nal wrote about a mean old dragon who runs the barracks where he lives.. I hope he's not too fearful or we may have to rescue our friend." He joked. "Seems like I recall another letter where there was a mention about some persnickety old lady like that, too. We'll just have to hope we don't encounter either of those two."

When she mentioned the food, he hummed lightly in agreement. "I agree, it's excellent!" He smiled, taking a bite of an eclair, then took a glance around. "Do you want to sit for a bit and watch the people, and see if we can recognize anyone?" He suggested. "Or would you rather go back out to the dance floor right away?" He asked with a little grin.

@Pele Alarion

Yellow Orchid

"Of course I'm serious," She answered, somewhat confused that he didn't seem to believe her. But then, she blushed lightly when he said she was pretty. Shyly, she ducked her head down slightly and looked away for a brief moment, taking a moment to think of how to react to that. After a second, she looked back up with a small smile. "Thank you." She said softly, yet sincerely.

The Great Gate, he suggested. Orchid nodded slightly. "That sounds quite do-able." She agreed. "And you would have a chance to visit with your guard pals?" She added with a hint of teasing. "At least you would not have to wait around alone, if it takes me a while to get there. Or if chance does not allow me to get away, at least then I should find it easier to get a message to you, too." She nodded slightly. This seemed like it would work.

@Pele Alarion

Lady Cat

"Perhaps, I will." She agreed with a small nod. But, of course, the recognizing them later part was the tricky one. And she was not sure even how something like that would work. Lady Cat listened with some curiosity to Lady Amethyst as she spoke about her husband. She smiled softly. "You seem quite confident that you'll have no trouble recognizing him, even with a mask." She commented with a little smile.

Hearing that Amethyst was disguising herself from friends as well as everyone else, made her tilt her head slightly. "What sort of 'harmless fun' do you mean?" She wondered, curious. It was not a term she heard often, and was not entirely sure whether that meant the lady had some sort of pranks in mind, or what.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
The Gilded
“Well, if baddies were after me back home, I would be toast. There’d be more chances to survive here, though I think my hair is still a tad darker than most of the Gondorians,” Gilded considered the options Teal had offered. “And why should I want to be noticed though? Unless that is the way to find good and solid friendships. But does it even work that way?”

“A mean old dragon,” a hearty laugh escaped Gilded before she could do anything to hold it back. “I bet barracks are in perfect order then. Not necessarily bad for the military, I’d say.” She giggled some more at the description, and then cleared the last bits of food that remained on her plate.

Taking a sip of the delicious fruity drink, she assessed the dance floor, and then looked at Teal with a slight tilt of her head. “I feel too full and comfortable to move,” she said quietly, and then added: “Perhaps we can stay here a moment or two for the food to settle. I wonder… if Nal and Eryn are here; perhaps we can try to figure out which ones they are.” Though she realised that would be a daunting task, considering the many people. And perhaps the two were not even here.

Red Rooster
Rooster’s grin turned into a hearty smile at the gentle and shy response Orchid gave to the compliments he had extended. He thought it sweet, but he did not say anything out loud, instead offering her another chance for a spin.

“I am not sure anyone I’d know would be guarding at the time, but hey… can always exchange a couple words with whoever it is,” he said lightly when she agreed to the plan. “At least that much is settled then. Just remains to see if you can make it.”
Amethyst
“I would recognise him among hundreds no matter how he would disguise himself,” Amethyst laughed quietly. But she also knew that he would not really go to such lengths, even though she would want to put the statement she had made to the test.

She glanced sideways at the Lady Cat and laughed softly. “Well, harmless fun… simply enjoying the evening with slightly reduced expectations and responsibilities,” she explained, though it was also true that she was not completely free of either one.

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

Lady Swan

The mention of her and Nymph being like sisters had her chuckling. ”Still a very insightful observation, Foxglove. Yes, I’m engaged to her older brother.” She informed Foxglove, after Nymph already pointed out they were sisters-in-law. And that made all the anxiety and drama worth it to Swan. It was good to have reliant and dedicated friends, akin to actual sisters.

Attention was drawn to Sir Fox and how Swan might introduce the other two. ”With our aliases of course.” Swan counter-argued. ”We’ll just walk up and say hello.” She chuckled, as if it were that easy. Wasn’t that how he stepped to her? Talk though turned quickly to their places of origin, with Foxglove inquiring about Belfalas and it’s famous swan ships. Swan nodded along in agreement with much of what Nymph said.

But more interestingly, Foxglove was from Minas Tirith, born and raised! The most historied and grandest city in all of Gondor. Swan could only sigh dreamily in turn at the idea of living in such a storied place. She looked at Nymph when she gave her answer to getting to look around and shared the same expression basically. ”I haven’t gotten to go out much myself. I would love to just…wander around and look at everything, every corner and alley but I suppose that sort of curiosity is not safe.” She chuckled a little.

She paused a moment to reflect on Nymph’s question. How could they keep in touch with Foxglove? ”Through letters and mail, of course! Nymph and I write letters to each other all the time. I’m not saying we have to do this right now, but afterwards, we’re going to have to tell each other who we are. Exchange addresses.” She shrugged, not wanting to impose too much on Foxglove if that was too private of information to share with some girls she just met.

”Maybe we should arrange a break-out of sorts.” She then suggested to Nymph. They already had plans to ditch their homes for a bit of practice. ”Where would you recommend we go first, if we could get around on our own? You must know all the good treasure spots, hm?” She queried teasingly of Foxglove, shifting her gaze between her friends.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen
|
Forest Nymph & Foxglove

"That must be so nice," Foxglove smiled, glancing from one to the other. "I've always wondered what it would be like to have a brother or sister," She sighed, but didn't let the wishfulness keep her mood down for long. The fact that neither had been able to see much of Minas Tirith.. well, that seemed like such a shame! "Perhaps we could wander around together?" She suggested with a grin. "I mean, not tonight, of course, because we're at the ball. I'd hate to miss out on that," She giggled. "But another time, maybe. If you're both going to be around the city for a while?"

"I'm not sure how long my family is staying," Nymph replied, but she was eager to make this goal a reality. "We do have some plans for tomorrow, in the Pelennor, but perhaps we could get together with you at some point. If you'd like, perhaps I could ask my other friend if she'd mind you joining us, as well?"

"Oh.." Foxglove brightened for half a second before recalling prior obligations, and gave an apologetic smile. "I would love to, but I can't. I'll have a lot of work to make up, tomorrow." She explained. "I umm, sort of put off some things so I could go to this tonight, but I'd better get them done before my boss sees what I neglected to get done, so.." She shrugged slightly and turned her attention toward finishing off another item on her plate.

"Oh," Nymph was mildly surprised, as it hadn't actually occurred to her that the other girl might have a job and have to actually work for her living, but tried not to seem too surprised when she learned this was the case. "That's too bad." She took a glance toward Swan, a little unsure of what to say now. It was fortunate that the matter of letters offered a nice change of subject, then.

"Yes," Nymph smiled brightly. "We love writing letters back and forth. Even though we live close," She giggled, indicating herself and Swan. "I have other pen pals, too! I'd love to include another."

Foxglove paused, thinking about that as she swallowed the bite of food in her mouth. She was spared from having to give an answer to that just yet, as Swan asked her for recommendations on where to go first in the city. A smile lit her face. "The Hall of Song, certainly!" She declared automatically, then gave a little laugh. "I mean.. if you like music and dancing and things like that." She added. "It's my absolute favoritest place ever," She smiled a little dreamily as she rested her chin on her hand, propping her elbow on the table. "Then there's all the lovely parks.. everything's so much better now that the king's returned and the city's being fixed up with more trees and flowers and things."

"That sounds lovely!" Nymph declared, happily trying to picture it. And also, wondering if she might have a chance to paint any scenes from any of these places. Perhaps if she begged her parents enough, they might consent to letting her stay here for a while longer. She wondered how long Swan was going to be staying in the area, too.

@Pele Alarion

Teal

Teal considered that comment for a moment, seeming to take it a bit more seriously than one would think necessary. "There's ways of concealing your hair, if it were making you a target." he mentioned with a little shrug. "Hats, scarves.. hoods." He sipped his drink, wondering if he should veer away from that subject. Setting his glass down, he smiled at her other question. "Well.. you know. If you were trying for a particular person to notice you, like a fella?" he suggested, shrugging. "Then, you wouldn't want the guy to just overlook you because you look like everyone else around. Right?"

He grinned in amusement as she giggled about the 'mean old dragon' comment. "Sounds like you and Nal may have a few similar sort of experiences, with that sort of thing." He mentioned, recalling she probably had a similar sort of thing to endure, back home.

Sitting back in his chair, he nodded in agreement with her words about being too full and comfortable. "Yeah, me too." He sipped his drink and glanced around, thinking about the two friends they had here in Gondor. "I'm pretty sure that she was planning to be here," He mentioned, thoughtful. "and I think he is supposed to be, too. But I haven't seen anyone yet that I think is either of them." He shrugged. "But then, you and that lady with the black lips are really the only people I've actually talked to, up close." He added with a little laugh. "Maybe I should mingle more, but I don't really feel like it."

@Pele Alarion

Yellow Orchid

She moved through the spin gracefully, and smiled slightly as she came back to facing him. "Yes, they must get awfully bored, standing guard all day like that." She agreed with a little smile when he mentioned saying hello to whoever was guarding the gates. "I'm sure they would appreciate someone talking to them. Whoever they are." She smiled slightly.

Now, whether she could actually meet him there would depend entirely on tomorrow, and her cousin. She hoped she would be able to get away from her, and sneak away. And yet, she also hoped she would be able to pull this off without her uncle learning of it, because she suspected that if he knew she had sneaked off like that, to meet a young man of all things.. she would probably be grounded for the next twenty years or so. "So.. what are your favorite places to go to around here?" She wondered, curious to learn a little bit more about him.

@Pele Alarion

Lady Cat

Lady Cat smiled softly at Amethyst's comment. As someone who did not have anyone special like that in her life, she couldn't help feeling curious about what that would be like, to have someone like that, that you knew so well that you could find them even in disguise, in the midst of a crowd of people in masks. She debated asking how long Amethyst had known her husband, but decided not to. If she learned too much about random people, then it might spoil the anonymity of the evening for someone. She wasn't too keen on having a whole lot of questions aimed at herself, after all.

"That sounds fair enough," She agreed with Amethyst's explanation about what she meant by 'harmless fun'. "I suppose you and I are not all that different, then, in our goals for the evening." She added with a little smile. "I do hope to have more opportunities to dance, but it is quite enjoyable to simply.. be. Without anyone expecting anything from you. Isn't it?" She let her gaze scan across the dance floor and other areas of the room, thoughtfully wondering if anyone else would come along to ask for a dance with her. Or, with either of the two ladies seated here, for that matter.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
The Gilded
Gilded looked at the dancers thoughtfully as her fingers played with the ends of her long hair, feeling the smooth texture. Usually her hair was not this smooth and shining, but then again it would be difficult to maintain these qualities while working with horses or training, or doing other rather dirty things.

“A fella?” her dark eyes were drawn back to Teal. She had not attempted to draw any guys to herself; besides, the only one whom she considered a very good friend was Teal himself. She tilted her head slightly, wondering for a while if her attitude towards him could reach any further. “Suppose it all depends on if I draw the attention of the right fellas,” she laughed eventually.

She took to studying dancers once again, as she commented: “I haven’t met that many people either, or at least not anyone who could be Eryn or Nal. I guess… why mingle if you don’t feel like it? Unless you really want to meet new people and not just look at them from sidelines.”

Red Rooster
“I suppose it may be boring, or not always so with all the strange people coming and going,” Rooster said, smiling. He thought it was not the worst of the possible tasks to handle; at least they were not sitting and peeling a load of potatoes.

He considered Orchid’s question about his favourite places and shrugged lightly. She already knew he liked visiting pubs. “The market, I guess. Can always find good stuff there, and hear interesting things, engage in fun conversations. I’m not really one of those who is into library and music hall,” he explained with a small smile.
Amethyst
“I hope no one has come here to pout in the corner,” Amethyst said softly. “Rather than enjoy themselves. That would be a waste of a good evening.” Though she supposed it might be a case if someone was refused a dance or similar.

She then nodded in agreement that it was good to be, even if her own being was still not complete since she still made sure that everything was run smoothly – music, food, and almost everything else. Not that she stood over people doing the work (and perhaps finding less fun), just that her keen grey eyes saw many things as she looked around the establishment.

“People might not expect, but there’s always a chance of placing expectations on ourselves,” she noted. “Not always easy to avoid, even on an evening like this.”

@Rillewen

On the dancefloor

By this point he wasn’t even surprised that she did not give up a straight answer. Regardless, the young Night Sky refused to give in now that he was just beginning to grasp at the unspoken rules. So he drew back in, closing that gap between the two of them, having run out of all further ways to keep from drowning in her eyes. Far too late. But finally a laugh, a smile, even an admission. She was, she claimed, having a better time than she had thought to. That she could manage to do so with him was no unpleasant feeling. Even though they were as strangers. Maybe because of that.

As she pouted then, pressing him about his almost having left, he pouted back in play with her. And took a turn at tucking her hair gently behind her ear, with the fingers of one of his hands; the same way she had done herself before. The way that SisI often did … ah no. But his sister always tucked away both sides all at once, and then got all self conscious so shook them back to blur the contours of her face again. This wasn’t his sister. His sister didn’t laugh so freely as the lady who stood inches from him.

Wouldn’t that be telling ?” he laughed a little then, as easily as she had. As easily as the music turned them in a slow rotation to face every square inch of the tavern and all that it encompassed. As if any of that mattered when she was in reach. For as long as this moment might remain, he surrendered to her relentless intrigue. If he would never see those eyes again after tonight, he wanted to commit them to memory. They would haunt him, likely, but he was beginning to think he would not mind that all too much. Looking for them when they were aimed otherways, had become near as much of a peril as looking into them.

Everybody else here was going to have a good time,” he shrugged, answering her more fully although he had not meant to. The silence otherwise was .. well he had better not give himself too much time for thinking. Let alone leave his lips with nothing else to do .. “I figured I’d far sooner go and find the ones I care about who aren’t here, to make sure that they’re not sorry they’re not here,” he grinned. It was the best way that he could explain it, at least without acknowledging that he had not been happy here himself really, not once that meant watching everyone else he knew here ascend toward a vision of their future, when he had no clue how to do so for himself. Was he ready for that ? No !

I was thinking how to sneak out berries and other small delights to take back for them,” he confessed in a more closeted whisper. SisI might by now be regretting her decision to not see their fellow siblings all decked out and in the moment. But how could he assure her how well it had gone for their siblings if he did not stay long enough to stand witness ? Still there was a certain other young lady who probably was keeping her protective father company at home right about now. He certainly had not seen her here and was slightly disappointed that she must have changed her mind about attending. Though to be honest this was probably not her type of thing any more than it was his. She was probably knee deep in dogs and horses, fletching arrows in front of an open fireplace right about now. “You know, so they would not feel they missed out.” He laughed, only for a moment even in the evident jest. Because .. “Then I saw .. you.

And suddenly he had realised that he was missing out, even though he had come to the party. Because he had not come expecting anything for himself .. and would have happily gone home afterward, with only the tales about what a good time all the others had enjoyed.

There was no way he was going to admit that, let alone to a stranger. Though it was no hardship to converse so, as they wound in a slow curl, too slow and too smooth to see them dizzy. The music did not so much lead the way with it’s beat but rather tried to lull them into some sort of dreamy sedation. Her hands about his shoulders rested like small birds, light upon a perch, no burden at all. And he wasn’t sure when his right had fallen to dare about the base of her back, but he was in no hurry to retrieve it, nor release her. Taking up her right hand with his left then, he let their conjoining clasp swing low, then raised them both from the elbow to bring her hand back up, in his. His hold was loose enough to state his want without enforcing a will. And so they rotated, like a private carousel.

I’m glad I stayed,” he let her know.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Fairy

"You know him?" she repeated, surprised, her mind racing to figure out who it might have been. Nothing about him had felt at all familiar or even possibly familiar. Could it be someone from the Fox's past, rather than his present, then? Perhaps Sir Hubris' accent had not been a fake one...

She couldn't help but match the Fox's grin. "I am glad you enjoyed it so much," she said with a gracious nod of her head. "And that I was not the only one," she further allowed herself with the briefest of laughs. After the Fox twirled her, an amused smile greeted him when she faced him again. "The masks," she agreed to the possibility, "for they are certainly offering their own perks for me. It also might be the fact that you are now different from when you were younger," she pointed out. "We all age," she added. "And we all change in the process, just like our circumstances change. There's no need to account for your enjoyment of the evening." She smiled. "What could ruin it, after all - and apparently - after watching someone like Sir Hubris getting doused with a glass of red?"

"Have you recognized anyone else, then?" she wondered politely.

Golden Sunbeam

He laughed briefly when the Dragon mentioned he could put down the drinks on the counter. "Yes, I could - and risk the wrath of a fairy," he pointed out in turn, referring to the Dragon's earlier turn of phrase. "A gentleman knows never to leave a lady's drink unattended," he told the Dragon, not intending any sort of offense or reprimand, and even adding a wink as if he was trying to teach him in some kind of brotherly way. "They really appreciate that. I think it will greatly lower the odds of the Fairy deciding to throw anything in my face anytime soon. Always a plus."

His lips curled up with amusement as Lady Blossom commented on how good the hot chocolate was. "Well I am sure you could take the young ladies to visit the tavern on the morrow, my lady, if you wish. To introduce them to the drink in person. They do serve it on other evenings, as well. Only," he added with a slow nod, "then it will not be free of charge."

Part of him was jealous when the Dragon said he and his brother rarely spent any time apart. Another part of him, however, wasn't sure how well he and his sister would get along if they spent day after day together. "It might be a miracle that you haven't tried to strangle each other yet," Golden commented drily. He managed two full breaths before cracking a huge grin. "Assuming, of course, that you actually haven't tried?"

When the Dragon offered a name, Golden shook his head with a frown that was mostly hidden behind his mask. "No, that's not my sister's name. But that still doesn't point us either one way or the other, I suppose." The Fairy could still be either of the ladies they had in mind. "Accents can be faked," Golden pointed out thoughtfully. "My sister doesn't have a Dol Amrothian accent either. But she was around someone with an accent like that for years." Someone who'd had the tendency to act as her shadow, he commented mentally as he narrowed his eyes, thinking on it. "So I think she could fake it, with some practice," he mumbled.

"Was this lady whom you met a Gondorian? Maybe she learned to hide her accent and did so during her travels? Or maybe she also picked up the Dol Amroth accent somehow, to use when she likes? If she's Gondorian, maybe she is using it tonight to throw people off who know her." He pursed his lips for a brief moment, then spoke again. "I get the feeling it might be my sister because I don't know many blondes with her height or her physique. Was this lady you met as..." For a moment his mind raced with a way to phrase what he wanted to say without sounding like an oaf. "...in shape as the Fairy seems to be?" The Dragon would have to be blind not to have noticed the toned arms, right?
"Maybe we should each try to figure out who she is," he added, laughing lightly. "By setting a few verbal traps. See if she falls for any of them. Between the two of us, we might end up figuring out she is neither the lady you met nor my sister," he continued, laughing more loudly and having to take care not to spill the drinks he was holding.

"Unless of course, the Lady Blossom has already figured it out?" he added, casting an amused look at the lady. "Ladies do tend to have better observational skills - or at the least, better listening skills. And I believe you have spoken to the Fairy without the company of any gentlemen?" he inquired. "That might have caused her to drop some tidbits of information that could help us narrow it down. Did she mention any travels to you, for example? Or did she say where she lives?" His questions might be considered shameless, but there was no harm in asking, he figured.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Child of Gondor
Sir Embers
@Rillewen
He really expected her to protest his description of her and after the twirl he was glad to see the shy smile on her face. He couldn't help but smile at her suggestion that he was tired of dancing with her already. Quite the contrary actually. He enjoyed dancing with her, a lot.

He waited for her to decide on what kind of drink to have. "Hot does sound good, if you want something without alcohol, I'm sure they have a nice selection. Actually. " He took her hand and gently tucked it into the crook of his offered elbow and let his left-hand rest on it. "I think I could go for some hot chocolate myself." He carefully guided her off the dance floor and through the myriad of those still dancing. Once at the tables they made a straight line for a drink station not far from the bar.

Greeting the attendant, he looked over to her. "What would you like to warm your insides? Hot chocolate? Cider perhaps?" He asked her, waiting patiently for her decision before he would make his own request.

Midnight Sun at the bar with Night Sky Courtier 4
@Ercassie
When he told her it was the Cousin that was responsible for their attire, she followed his nod to where two stood, a lovely woman and one dressed very similar to himself. She looked back at him and the frilly sleeve waving in the air. A small, entertained chuckle came from her. She could tell it wasn't his first choice, but she greatly enjoyed the cousin's choice.

Just then her hot rum arrived and his drink as well. She thanked the server and turned her attention back to him as he continued, speaking of it being the season for dressing up and reminding her it was last winter they had taken the cruise down the River Anduin. Her smile softened at the memory. It had been a lovely experience. He spoke of the first time not always easy to equal. She nodded. She looked down as he softly placed a small but unbent golden flower into her hand.

“But if I may .. I would not have this be the last time,” His words and the flower struck her heart like an arrow. She stared at it in wonder. Delicate and pristine she held it in the palm of her hand with great care.
"It's beautiful." Her voice soft and full of wonder. Some may have seen a simple flower but in those small petals rested the dedication and care he put into things that really mattered to him. To be the focus of such care and dedication was humbling and touching.

She looked back up at him, a soft smile on her lips as she leaned toward him. "I love it." Her words were followed by the light pressing of her lips on his. Although brief and unexpected as it was, even to herself, it felt right. When she leaned back her eyes lowered for a moment, she wondered if she should be embarrassed or ashamed of her forwardness, but she found none of those feelings within her. Instead, she found she would never be ashamed or embarrassed to be in love with him. When she raised her eyes to meet his there was a light in them that reflected in her smile. It was the light of love, and she was discovering that a woman in love did some strange things.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Karis Ziranphel
Macardil

He enjoyed filling a plate for her, and when she was content he quickly filled one for himself. With now one plate in each hand, Ziran let him pick the table while she acquired refreshments. His eyes focused on the available tables. He could not approach a table with only ladies. If Ziran had taken the lead, it would have been a different story. Now she had left that up to him, however, he could not approach a table like the one where Amethyst and Lady Cat were seated. Nor did he wish to disturb a gentleman and a lady who were clearly enjoying each other's company and might not be particularly waiting for the company of anyone else, who would then even probably be strangers.

Necessity then, drew him to an as of yet empty table. He did not think Ziran would mind. He put down the plates with a knowing smile, and waiting for her, not yet taking his seat. He would pull out her chair for her when she joined him, and only take his own seat after she had taken hers. When else could he enjoy simple things like this, if not now? She might just let him - for the occasion.

ImageImage
The Butterfly aka Kaylin

It didn't match. The delicate lilac of the mask and the dress with the fiery red of the long hair now falling down her back and over her shoulders.

After Thûllir and Kaylin's inconspicuous re-entrance into the main hall of the tavern, anyone who looked her way would now see no trace left of the blonde, however. The pretty updo had been demoted to a discarded wig in some back room. Instead, Kaylin's straight locks of deep red hair had been released - and she couldn't care less whether or not it matched her attire. Her husband had found her, the game was over, and it wasn't like Arnyn needed her to stay anonymous (or so Kaylin hoped). Even though Thullir had reassured her that the different hair colour hadn't thrown him, Kaylin saw no reason to keep suffering through the heat the blonde wig subjected her to. The contraption was rather warm, especially when dancing. By this point of the evening, she much preferred the temporary darker dyes she had tried out in the past, to the light-haired wig. The only upside was how easily she could trade it back in for her natural red.

Since Thûllir had mentioned it was more challenging for him that he couldn't look her in the eyes, Kaylin had also plucked the mesh from the eye holes in her butterfly mask. And so, while she still wore the mask itself, her blue-grey eyes were no longer concealed, and they could smile through the mask at her ranger as much as she liked. And as much as she knew he loved.

"I could use a drink," she said cheerily as she steered Thûllir toward the bar. Surely he wouldn't mind one, either. She wondered whether her deal with Arnyn about only one alcoholic drink was now null and void. And then she suddenly started doubting her initial judgment that Arnyn didn't need Kaylin to be disguised as a blonde to stay anonymous. Mentally, she swore. Had she just made it so the Lieutenant, who'd become a new friend, would get upset with her over this, later?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Lantaelen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

She'd accepted Sir Dauntless' offer to escort her out for a brief walk - of course. With all the airs of a proper lady to anyone who might have been watching. For if he was a nobleman, she knew he would need to keep up appearances. What he would or would not agree to once they had exited, that had remained to be determined. If his words and actions had been any indication, however, she'd be in for an excellent time.

A lady could only hope.

Upon the Lady in Red's return, Sir Dauntless was no longer by her side. Her lips were still - or again - as perfectly red as they had been. Nothing else about her appearance was out of place, either. The satisfaction in her smile much too subtle for anyone to take any kind of note. The main reason for her return was, of course, to keep an eye on her latest possible lead.

All in all, the evening had been quite lucrative.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Teal

Teal grinned at the way Gilded repeated "A fella?" as if surprised he would suggest such a thing. "And who do you consider the 'right fellas'?" He asked, smiling slightly in amusement. If he had been here alone, he probably would have tried to mingle and maybe make new friends, but since he had found someone he already knew and enjoyed being with, there seemed little reason to venture out and try to meet anyone he didn't know, to hang out with.

@Pele Alarion

Yellow Orchid

She tilted her head curiously, mildly surprised to hear that the market was his favorite place. But as he explained his reasonings, she nodded slightly in understanding. "I suspect that would be my cousin's favorite place, as well. Though, not for the conversations or stories to hear," She smiled. "I suspect she'll want to spend all of her time in the clothing shops." She explained with a little eyeroll. Buying dresses and matching accessories had never really been quite as exciting to her as it was to her cousin, which was exactly why she was so willing to sneak away and go explore the Pelennor, instead.

@Pele Alarion

Lady Cat

"Why would someone come to this, if they were only going to sit in a corner and pout?" Lady Cat wondered, thoughtfully taking a glance around. She did see people sitting, some alone, some with others, but did not see anyone sulking or pouting. At least not that she could tell.

"From what I can see, everyone appears to be happy, and enjoying themselves." She commented, and glanced curiously toward Amethyst. "You seem somewhat concerned with whether people are enjoying themselves." The lady commented, wondering whether there might be some particular reason for this, or if it was merely a matter which concerned the other lady.

@Ercassie

Pink Wildflower

She let a little smile take over her face, as he replied back as mysteriously as she had. But, a moment later, her charming dance partner gave in and admitted the reasons for why he had considered leaving. In his own way, which could be hard to follow if one wasn't used to it. She smiled inwardly though, and nodded as she showed her understanding of his thinking. As he went on, talking about how everyone else he knew was having a good time, and how he wanted to ensure all the others, who weren't here, were having a good time, she wondered if that would have included her. For a brief moment, when he tucked some of her dark locks behind her ear, she worried that he might notice that it was not her own. But, thankfully, he did not seem to notice anything unusual.

The admission that he had been thinking of sneaking out berries for the others, brought a quiet little giggle from her. "I love berries," She admitted, also in a whisper as if it were some remarkable coincidence that they both enjoyed those, as she leaned a tiny bit closer to him as well. While they slowly rotated about the dance floor, she found it a little odd how much taller he seemed, tonight. She had to raise her eyes just a few inches higher to find his warm brown gaze, but she didn't mind too much about that. She smiled to hear the way he said 'and then, I saw you'. It was nice then, to hear that he was glad he had stayed. She considered that for a moment as a few seconds passed, during which time their feet somehow moved them into a slow circle, without her having to devote too much thought to it.

"To be honest," She mentioned, after a brief hesitation. "I almost.. almost.. considered leaving, too." She informed him quietly, a little shy to say so. She felt.. a little self-conscious even, about her reasons why. And, assuming that he would ask... because she knew who she was talking to... she beat him to it by explaining what she could of this, before he could ask. "I guess it probably sounds a little silly, but.. well, I came alone, so I didn't have anyone to talk to, and one girl I talked with went to dance, and left me alone. And after a while, when no one asked me to dance, I started to think maybe.. I wasn't.. pretty enough," She admitted, a little pink rising to her cheeks as she brought her gaze down shyly. Though, the blush might not even be noticeable, with all the painted flowers, and the mask and the fact she was wearing pink. She hoped that would help conceal it, anyway.

"Then, a kind stranger suggested I wait a little longer." She concluded, leaving out most of the details but enough to explain. "I'm very glad I stayed, too." She smiled up at him, finding it rather interesting that they had both nearly left, and would have missed one another, and would therefore have missed out on this wonderful dance.

@Arnyn
|
Green Dragon | Blossom

With a little laugh, Dragon conceded that the other guy was probably right. "I suppose I have somewhat to learn about these sorts of things," He acknowledged, feeling a bit more aware of his lack of education when it came to balls and social events like this. "Wouldn't want to have a drink thrown in my face," He added with a little grin. He sipped from his own mug, but it was running low.

Blossom was smiling slightly in amusement at their conversation, but hadn't added any remark to it. When sir Sunbeam suggested bringing the young ladies here, to enjoy the hot chocolate, she realized that was something she hadn't quite thought of. "I suppose I could," She agreed thoughtfully. Though, she had no idea how much it would cost under normal circumstances. The place looked far more expensive than what she could afford, normally.

Dragon lowered his drink with a little snicker at the comment about it being a miracle he hadn't tried to strangle his brother. "There have been times.." He started, but gave a little laugh and shook his head. "So far, neither of us has driven the other that crazy... yet. Though sometimes I think he is purposely trying.." He added with a little sigh, and shook his head a bit.

As the topic returned to the Fairy, and the question of her identity, he nodded slightly when Sunbeam assured him that Celume was not his sister. "Well," He considered, thinking back. "She didn't exactly say where she was from, in fact. I got the impression she may have been Rohirrim.." He frowned though, recalling a detail. "except, she didn't know the language as well as a native Rohir would." He tilted his head thoughtfully.

He gave a grin when the other guy asked if the lady had a good physique. "Oh, she certainly did! She was an excellent swordswoman," He confirmed without hesitation. "And archer. In fact, the three of us took on a large group of bandits together, and we made quite a team. This lady, Celume, even fought one of them one on one in a duel... it was quite hilarious to watch." He grinned at the memory. "We gave him the choice who he'd rather fight, and he picked her. I guess he expected her to be the least skilled of the three of us..." He laughed, remembering the bandit's face when he realized he was outmatched.

"Yes! That sounds like a good plan," he agreed with a little grin, liking the other's suggestion that they try to trap her verbally, to see if they could figure it out. "I actually already made a few comments, wondering if she might be her," He added. "In fact, the hot chocolate was a little part of that," he admitted.

When Sunbeam suggested that perhaps she might already know, Blossom merely smiled softly. "Perhaps I do... Perhaps I don't." She answered with a tiny shrug, and took a small sip of her hot chocolate. She smiled at the two after lowering her cup. "If I did, though, I wouldn't tell you two." She informed them with a bit of private amusement dancing in her eyes. The ladies had to stick together with their secrets, after all...

@Arnyn

The Fox

"Unfortunately," He replied with a little sigh, when the lady expressed surprise that he knew the other guy. "In fact, when I realized he was here, I nearly left just to avoid him... But thankfully, there was no need." He grinned, amused to hear the lady admit to having enjoyed tossing the drink in his face. But he didn't want to keep on about that, especially if it was likely she might ask him more questions about it. He couldn't admit to where he knew the guy from, nor how he was familiar with him.

"I suppose you're right," He agreed, when the lady mentioned that he may have changed a bit as he grew older. He had been very young the last time he was dragged to something like this. He had grown up quite a bit in that time. But he still felt that it was mostly because there were so many fewer rules at this one. He couldn't help a light laugh as she referred to the wine-doused guy as 'sir hubris'. "Excellent choice in name." He remarked with amusement glinting in his eyes.

The question about whether he had recognized anyone else made him tilt his head thoughtfully. He had recognized a few.. two of his roommates, for instance, and someone who had been a temporary 'roommate', but he couldn't really say all of that. "Only a few," he answered with a little shrug. "I am not from here, so there are not that many people whom I would recognize." He added, still making sure to use the Linhir accent. "Have you encountered anyone you know, or think you know?" He asked in return, while guiding them into some steps that were a bit more advanced than the simpler moves, since the lady had seemed to know how to do more than basic dancing.

@Isolde Alarion

Snowflake

Snowflake found it somewhat amusing, given the 'name' that had been bestowed on her for the evening, that she was not only dancing with 'sir Embers', but about to go and drink a hot drink. She smiled at him as he tucked her hand into the crook of his arm, and allowed him to lead the way toward where drinks were being served.

"I think.." She paused to consider, and then something came to mind and she felt a bit excited at the prospective drink. Hopefully, they had it. "Peppermint hot chocolate would be perfect..." She looked hopefully at the server. "Do you have that?" When he confirmed that it was possible, she smiled happily. "I'll have some of that, please." She was quite glad not to have to be disappointed. She had a reason why she had requested peppermint, though maybe later, she would have something with cinnamon. But one thing at a time. She waited while her drink was made, and while Embers put in his own drink request.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
The Gilded
Gilded laughed lightly as she looked into her glass for a while before she took another sip from it. At least it gave her a few moments to think before she ventured a response. Then she looked at Teal, a merry smile still on her face.

“It’s not that I’ve had many chances to consider what the right fellas should be,” she replied and laughed again. “This far it has mostly been cavalry folk, and I have not imagined seeing them beyond the boundaries of comradery. Suppose it should be people outside that circle. With a good sense of humour, kind, trustworthy,” she counted off the first traits that came into her mind as important. “Well, generally not gross in conduct. But then again perhaps that would not really narrow down the circle of right fellas by much. I don’t know.”

“Have you thought of gals you’d like?” she asked in return. “Or do you not have a checklist in your mind that you compare everyone you meet to?”

Red Rooster
“Well… market is the second best place to mingle and share stories after pubs,” Rooster admitted with a small grin. “But suppose it is certainly the best place to shop unless the desire is for top-notch stuff which is usually available on higher levels.”

“Where would you usually hang out?” he wanted to know, though then he immediately wondered if she did it at all, since her uncle sounded like such a watchdog. “Don’t tell me you sit within four walls ALL the time…”
Amethyst
“Never know… people can have strange unpredictable attitudes sometimes,” Amethyst said with a twinkle in her eye when the Lady Cat asked why anyone would wish to come here for the sake of pouting.

She shrugged one shoulder lightly and added: “I simply care that people would be happy here.” And then she leaned slightly towards Lady Cat and half whispered as if sharing a great secret: “I might have means of facilitating that.”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Fairy

"Thank you," she said with a grin when the Fox complimented her on the choice of the name 'sir Hubris'. The grin gentled into a faint smile - that maybe looked slightly as if she were pleased. Both pleased with the assumption it didn't seem like he had recognized her, as well as pleased with the fact he was sticking to his chosen role for the evening.

"I do believe that I have," she nodded in reply to his question as she effortlessly adjusted to the change in the Fox's dance steps. It was very amusing to her that all three of the men who'd asked her to dance so far, were not only men she knew, but also men she recognized - while they in turn did not seem to recognize her. She did have to credit Kaylin for her skill at disguises, and for letting her in on some of the secrets to help sell her persona for the evening. But how much could she tell the Fox before it might risk giving her away? If he had recognized Golden for example, and she also told him she had recognized Golden - the link might be too obvious entirely.

"A few of the ladies," she expanded on her earlier response. "And a few of the gentlemen, as well. From the city or not, it seems like the masquerade has drawn in a lot of people from farther away." Her eyes fell on the Butterfly then, who was now an unapologetic redhead rather than a more demure blonde. The Fairy almost snorted as she saw Kaylin leading her man to the bar. So much for that disguise. "Do the people you recognize, recognize you in return, you reckon?" she asked of the Fox with a little smile as she observed his eyes, set deep within the woodland mask. "And, if I may ask, why did you choose a fox as your guise for the evening?"

Golden Sunbeam

"Why did you figure she was a Rohir?" Golden asked. "It was not merely the blonde hair was it?" he laughed. "For if so - you might have figured me for one, just the same!" Growing a bit more thoughtful again, he slightly pursed his lips. "My sister is pretty good at their language, too," he mused. "I only know the very basics." Since it was a family thing.

He frowned a bit as the Dragon continued, thinking over this new bit of information. The Lady Blossom's refusal to help them out with anything she might know, made him flash her a grin. "That's too bad," he said openly, with a little shrug, careful with the drinks he was holding. He slanted his head as he looked at the Dragon. "More fun with the game, for us, though," he declared with a broad grin, before his mind returned to the riddle at hand.

"You know," he said thoughtfully, looking back at the Fairy as she was dancing with the Fox. "So, Lady Fairy has the right look for both your Celume and my sister, right?" he started summarizing. "You say this Celume lady was an excellent swordswoman...As coincidence would have it, so is my sister," he continued, almost mumbling as he watched the Fairy. "In fact, it's my sister's specialization. And the bow... is her secondary weapon. And she's quite good with that, too." In fact, it was getting pretty coincidental, wasn't it? Same height, same hair, same physique, same weapon skills? About the same age, that went without saying, he figured. They had eyes. Eyes... "Too bad we can't see what colour the Fairy's eyes are," Golden noted. "Or it might help us narrow it down a bit. But I don't see how we could figure that out unless we yank the mask from her face," he laughed quietly. "Which is obviously not an option."

"This Fairy has a different accent than both of them, though. So she might still be neither." He sipped his own drink, pausing briefly. "You say this Celume lady was traveling in the north a few years ago. My sister might have been thereabouts as well at the time... I'm not entirely sure. But I think she might have been. But we don't know if the Fairy was. Not yet, anyway. That would be another bit of information to try and pry away from her, then."

He suddenly thought of another possibility. "Do you speak Rohir rather well, then, yourself? Maybe you should say something absolutely hilarious at some unexpected moment, when the Fairy can hear you? If she laughs or smiles or something, at least we know she understands the language. That could be one indication. Though it wouldn't help us decide whether she's your Celume or my sister, at least it would mean it's still possible for the Fairy to be either of them. Unless she can put up a really good act. So maybe it wouldn't tell us all that much, even." The last sentence was more of a mumble as he didn't like all the options still being open. "Or, maybe you could say something she couldn't resist reacting to. I know my sister would get very upset if you were to talk badly about female warriors or something. If this Celume is such a good swordfighter and archer as well, she might get upset as well." He laughed quietly. "Question is, of course, if we want to risk that..."

"How do you mean, the hot chocolate was a part of trying to find out who she was?" he inquired. But what he wanted to know the most, was: "And? I suppose she didn't give you much, since you're still so unsure?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Teal

Teal laughed quietly at her words about how the right fella shouldn't be 'gross in conduct'. "Well, I would think not, no." He agreed. "I would hope you wouldn't go for someone like that." He mentally noted that she had ruled out anyone that she knew from the cavalry, as they were comrades. As she went on to list possible qualities she would find appealing, he smiled faintly and took a sip of his drink while he listened.

He was briefly unsure how to reply when she asked him in return about 'gals'. "Oh, like you, I haven't really met that many." He replied. "I mean, there's some other apprentice healers not too far off from my age, back home, but I hardly even know them." He shrugged slightly. "I haven't thought much about.. checklists," He added with a little laugh, and felt like his ears might be getting warm, and hoped he wasn't blushing too obviously at being questioned about this topic. "Um, do you want to dance again?"

@Pele Alarion

Yellow Orchid

Orchid nodded in understanding as he explained his reasons for why he liked the market. She smiled. "You must really enjoy stories, and meeting people." She commented with a little laugh. "I feel bad that I can't offer you any, then." She wasn't really sure what sort of stories he found most interesting, but she doubted that any she had to tell would be all that interesting to him.

The question about where she usually hung out, made her pause to think, then smiled. "No, I don't sit within four walls all the time," She shook her head a little. "My cousin and I go different places. Other times, I sit with my other cousin and read to him, and keep him company." She bit her lip, realizing she'd probably better not say too much more about that if she wanted to keep her identity secret for the rest of the evening.

@Pele Alarion

Lady Cat

"People can be unpredictable at times," She agreed with a little nod, and looked somewhat curious when Amethyst spoke of having means to facilitate the goal of keeping people happy. "Oh? That would seem to imply that you're some sort of official, here." She smiled with curiosity, tilting her head slightly at the other lady. "Do you own the tavern, perchance?" She asked with a hint of teasing, though she was curious whether the woman was in charge of something to do with the ball.

@Arnyn

Green Dragon

Dragon laughed at the other guy's question. "No, not just because of the blond hair," he assured him. "But there were a few little things that made me think that, at the first." He shrugged. "She had a strong bond with her horse, for instance, and a few things she said. But then I started to question it." He wasn't sure how much detail he ought to go into, and merely shrugged.

When Blossom refused to help, Dragon just grinned. "Looks like we're on our own, to figure it out." He said to Sunbeam with a little laugh. He nodded when the guy asked if the Fairy had the right look for the Celume he knew. "Yes, she could easily be her. Although it has been a few years since we encountered her," He admitted. "Still, I couldn't help thinking of Celume when I spoke with Fairy. Even more so, as I danced with her." He leaned an elbow on the bar, thoughtful. "Hmm, still.. a lot of people use both sword and bow." He added. "My brother and I do, our father did.. several others that I have met use those weapons."

"If I could see her eyes," He added with a little nod of agreement with Sunbeam, then let out a laugh as he mentioned yanking the mask off her face. "I think that would certainly earn you her wrath," He told him with a grin of amusement. He sipped his hot chocolate thoughtfully while Sunbeam went through a few thoughts out loud, trying to sort out this mystery. "Yes, I speak Rohir quite well," He answered with a nod, and grinned at the suggestion that came next. "I could do that," He agreed, but the other suggestion, to criticize female warriors, made him shake his head. "No way, I have no desire to wear my drink or any one else's!" He declined with amusement, then smirked. "But, I do have another idea!" He said, smiling. "I could tell a story.. in Rohirric." He grinned. "Ms Celume enjoyed hearing my storytelling, and she specifically asked that I use that language so that she could practice the use of it." He explained.

When asked about the hot chocolate, he gave a little laugh and smiled. "Ah.. well, when we were on our way to Bree, Celume mentioned how much she would enjoy a cup of hot chocolate when we arrived. But, alas... when we reached the inn, they had none. Yet this did not deter her! She was quite determined to get some, and somehow managed to find someone who had some chocolate, and she struck a bargain with this fellow." He grinned. "The lady sang a couple of songs in the middle of the tavern, in exchange for enough chocolate to make three mugs." He explained with a smile. "One for me, my brother, and herself."

He then considered how to answer the last question. "Not much, no." He sighed, thinking back about the things that Fairy had said during their dance. And suddenly, he remembered, "Oh! She did say that she had spent an extended period of time away from this city." He thought that might help in narrowing this down. "And... I don't know, there were just certain things she said that made me feel as if.. she knew me." He frowned thoughtfully. "I could be mistaken, but I got the feeling that she knew more about me than someone who had just met me, if that makes sense. And.. that she may even know my brother." He added thoughtfully. "When that couple was singing, I asked her if she sang," he added, trying to sift through the various pieces of their conversation to find clues, "she said that she rarely sings, and not in front of other people.." He tapped a finger thoughtfully on his mug, considering this bit of information. "Can you think of anything else?" He asked Sunbeam, trying to piece together the various clues.

@Arnyn

The Fox

While he danced with the lady, he was curious about who she might be. While he obviously didn't know every single person in Belfalas, he felt as if he ought to know her if she was anyone significant among the nobility. But then, of course, she might not be nobility. And he hadn't been around any of that world for a few years now, so he decided not to think too hard about it.

He nodded at her vague-ish answer about thinking she'd recognized a few of the ladies and a few of the gentlemen. "So it would seem," He agreed with her assessment that folks had come from near and far. He shrugged slightly at her following question. "I don't think so. But then, I haven't ventured to speak to any of them. Most of those I have spotted are busy dancing with others," He added with a little grin. "So, it seemed best to just find my own dance partners, and leave them be."

He led her into a twirl, smiling a bit at the way her wings floated out. "You know," He let out a little laugh, "you aren't the first to ask me why I chose a fox." He informed the lady with a smile as she returned from the twirl. "It just seemed like a good choice," He shrugged. "Goes well with my hair, so why not?" He smiled, pretending as if the hair were his natural color. Those who had helped him with his disguise had been told different reason, but there was no cause to inform the lady he didn't know that he had a special liking for foxes.

The Hawk & The Seashell
At the buffet

“I still can’t believe you’re really here,” Hawk mentioned, smiling happily at Seashell as they broke away from the dance floor after several dances together. The pair were both smiling as they walked, arm in arm, away from the dance floor at last.

I can hardly believe I finally found you,” She grinned back at him. “I wasn’t sure if you would be here.. but I figured, music, dancing.. you wouldn’t want to pass all that up, so it was worth a try. And it was definitely worth the try,” She grinned and then directed him toward the buffet table. “Come on, it’s way past time for you to get some food,” She declared, having heard about how he seemed to get pulled away to go elsewhere every time he started to get some food. She nudged Hawk to go ahead of her. “Can’t have you passing out from hunger while we’re dancing,” She joked, then added, “I’ve already eaten, earlier, so I’m just going to get a few things.” She informed him.

With a little laugh, he shook his head but didn't argue. He’d definitely gone longer periods without food without ‘passing out’, but he was rather hungry this evening, and eager to pile up his plate. They conversed slightly together while selecting their food, and by the time they stepped away from the buffet, Hawk's plate was full of delicious-looking food. He turned to survey the tables then, unsure where to sit.

Seashell’s plate only held a few items that she had enjoyed well enough to have a second helping of. She moved her plate to her left hand and slipped her right hand into Hawk’s. “So, where should we sit?” She asked, glancing up at him, putting the choice in his hands.

“Anywhere’s fine,” he answered with a shrug, smiling. Honestly, he didn’t care that much where they sat.. he was just so happy to have found her again. It almost seemed like some sort of miracle that she’d managed to find him here, just when he’d been wishing she could be here to dance with him! He squeezed her hand lightly and set off leisurely in search of a table, their joined hands lightly swinging between them.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Fairy

"I bet I am not," she conceded after he twirled her around. "Choice of disguise is an easy topic after all, given the setting. The masquerade version of 'where are you from', I suppose," she laughed quietly. "The fox does go well with your hair," she agreed, though she couldn't help the little smile and comment that she followed up with. "Unless, of course, you made sure your hair goes well with the fox."

He was a good lead, she noted mentally, and not just compared to the Dragon, whom she'd danced with before the Fox. Sure enough of himself, with more than just the basic steps at his disposal. It made sense, for everything the Fairy knew about the Fox' true identity. "You mentioned lessons," she began thoughtfully. "Any special dance moves up your sleeve, sir Fox?" she asked, her tone almost teasing. "If so, you have my permission to test if I can keep up."

Golden Sunbeam

The Dragon's note about this Celume having a strong bond with her horse, caused a slight frown to claim the expression behind Golden's mask. The story about the hot chocolate also deserved some thought, and he hummed in response at first. "It would definitely be like my sister to be all determined," he said, in a very 'knowing' big-brother voice. "However, she'd never sing in the midst of a tavern," he announced. If the Dragon's Celume had done that, she certainly couldn't be his sister, he figured. "So I guess all the rest is a coincidence," he shrugged lightly, the whole singing business also shutting the door on further exploring the matter with the horse.

Of course, that still told them nothing about the Fairy's identity. She could still be either.

"The story idea might be the safest bet," he nodded in agreement. "Do it!" He grinned. "But, good man... If I may... if the Fairy told you she rarely sings, and not in front of other people... and this Celume sang in a tavern... are you sure you are not hearing and seeing what you want to?" His grin grew as his amusement did. "You getting the feeling she knows things about you, and that she may even know your brother... You might just be projecting some wish to meet this lady again, no? I'm just saying... the odds of the Fairy being my sister are much higher than her being your little lady," he noted. "My sister lives here. We don't even know if this Celume is even from Gondor!" He paused, to check. "Right?" He hadn't misunderstood, had he?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Green Dragon

"Hmm," Dragon leaned his back against the bar, thoughtful as he gazed toward the dance floor. "Well.. she didn't really seem enthusiastic about the singing," He mentioned, but then decided to let that drop. If Sunbeam seemed certain his sister would never do it, then it surely couldn't be the same. "Right, so.. you're probably right. I suppose it couldn't be the two couldn't be the same. Must be coincidence." He agreed, while hiding a mild bit of disappointment.

He had to agree, it seemed far more likely that the Fairy was Sunbeam's sister, rather than a random traveler from the North, whose origin he had no idea about. "No, I have no idea," He confirmed with a little shake of his head. "She never really said where she came from. She was.. somewhat vague about that." He frowned thoughtfully. He would like to meet her again, but he also didn't think he was imagining it about Lady Fairy.. was he? He may have pretended not to notice when she made comments as if she were familiar with he and his brother, but he had certainly taken notice of it, regardless.

His grin returning a moment later, Dragon was glad to hear that his story idea sounded good. "Do you understand Rohirric? Enough to make sense of what I'm saying, if I were to launch into a tale?" He asked, amused. While it would be fun to test the Fairy and find out whether she could understand him, he also didn't really want to exclude anyone, like Sunbeam, if he did not understand the language.

@Arnyn

The Fox

Fox smiled as she commented about the choice of one's disguise being a common topic. "True. So, why did you choose yours, if you don't mind me asking?" He grinned. "Aside from the fact that it looks amazing." He added. It also looked expensive, which seemed to him like a clue that she must be someone with a lot of money, or something. Which seemed to confirm his thought that she was possibly a member of nobility, though he still couldn't be sure.

His smile turned to a brief grin when she suggested the thought that he had made sure his hair matched, and tilted his head curiously. "You're joking, right?" He asked, with a tone of surprise. "People aren't really changing their hair color for this thing, are they?" He glanced around briefly, as if checking whether he might notice anyone going around with wigs or something.

His timing couldn't have been better, as he happened to spot the Butterfly, walking along with her true hair showing boldly, where it had previously been blond. He blinked in surprise. "What about that... I guess some people did," he muttered, genuinely surprised to realize who that lady was. He had definitely not recognized her before, and was sure he had seen her multiple times during the evening.

Lady Fairy drew his attention back to her when she asked about his lessons, and dance moves. He grinned. "Perhaps," He answered, and gave a little nod as she gave her permission to test her. "Well then.. let's see how much I remember my lessons," He said with a little laugh. After waiting for the right timing in the music, he led their dancing into something more complicated, yet still flowing well with the current music.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Fairy

She laughed. "I did not chose," she said, knowing that would be a surprise to most people here. Who came to something like this without choosing their own attire, after all? "Two options were acquired for me, and chance decided on this one. So, if you believe it looks amazing, then I have my friend and luck to thank. Not myself." She didn't mention she thought it was much too flashy for her. The wings, the golden jewelry around the neck toward the shoulders and the back... Before she could get hung up on that again, however, she pulled her thoughts back. It didn't matter if people didn't even know who she was underneath the disguise! Then again, part of her was thinking it would be funny to let the Fox figure out who she was at some point.

Another laugh followed when he acted all innocent about his hair, and her expression settled into a grin when she followed his gaze to Lady Butterfly, now showcasing her red hair. The Fox would definitely know who Butterfly was, now. "Ah. The blonde has gone red," she noted. "It's moot to say it now," she laughed, tilting her head in Butterfly's direction, "but - of course they are," the Fairy said, letting some surprise seep into her tone, as if it waspeculiar the Fox did not know. "It's a masquerade. Some people pull out all of the stops." Her grin gentled into a smile. "But they would be the exception, not the rule. I agree with that much."

As he accepted her invitation to try more intricate dancing, she had to admit she was surprised. While she had been expecting he knew more dancing styles, given what she knew about him and his background - she still hadn't been at all sure he would be willing to showcase them. Following his lead was not difficult, though, so she stepped in tune with both the Fox's steps and the music. Amused that neither of them would probably be comfortable dancing with each other outside of this setting, and maybe even within the setting if they were to both know who the other was, she grinned.

Golden Sunbeam

Even if this Celume lady hadn't been very enthusiastic about singing in a tavern, it still couldn't possibly be his sister, Golden reasoned. She even avoided singing in front of her own parents and her own brother. As a rule. There had been a few instances only... and never in public. It simply didn't align.

"I do," Golden nodded with an easy grin. "You should definitely try! At least we know she should return for a brief while, since I still have her drink." Thinking back on his own conversation with the Fairy, his thoughtful gaze settled on Blossom for a while, but seeing as she had refused to help, his attention returned mostly to the Dragon. "While we were dancing, the Fairy told me she wasn't too excited about being called a 'Fairy' because they are usually deemed delicate and romantic. So I think that, combined with her physique, makes it pretty obvious she's not a typical noble lady from Belfalas. I think it'd be safe to say that that image is one she's conjuring just for the occasion." She might still be from Belfalas, though, for all they knew. Golden frowned lightly. "Not wanting to be deemed 'delicate' or 'romantic' is definitely like my baby sister," he mumbled. He'd always thought his sister should enjoy herself a little bit more.

"Fairy also said she has a dancing enthusiast in the family, and that it's a big reason why her own dancing skills are as good as they are." As if on cue, the Fox lead the Fairy into a different dancing style then - one that required a bit of teaching and some experience. He nodded in their direction, so the Dragon would look over, as well. "And that dancing enthusiast could easily be me. She also seemed very amused mentioning it to me, which would be just my sister's kind of humor," he said, trying to explain more about why he had the impression he did. "Not to mention, the way she accepted your question to dance with her - the whole 'considering' and 'allowing' thing, taking it literally on purpose? I can just see my sister doing exactly the same to me."

"Does your Celume dance?" Golden looked away from the Fairy and the Fox, back to the Dragon. "Do you know?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength