Miniature Mania

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
Istari Sage
@Silky Gooseness dry brushing uses a special kind of brush which has bristles that instead of going to a point at the end are more rounded like a makeup brush and with slightly tougher bristles. Then you put a small amount of paint and brush most of it off on a paper towel or other abrasive surface. Then you gently brush over the model If you do it right the small amount paint only catches on the raised surfaces of the model. This helps to highlight for example all the feathers on the eagle were highlighted this way instead of using a fine brush and painting little lines on each feather which would be a painful task indeed. Some painters use dry brushing to exceptional effect.

Arien
Arien
Oh, that’s so clever! Today I learned! I had wondered how the weathering and highlighting effects were achieved.
cave anserem

Istari Sage
The other two more detailed Treeman and treekin elder are still work in progress but these three are complete at least.

Need to paint the rim black but I’ll do that when I finish the other two models. Dry brush MVP here.
Last edited by Romeran on Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Soul
Romeran: Oh woosh, that looks amazing. Those are three dangerous Ents for sure. :grin: What are those golden warriors referring to? I have never heard of them. Or are they something of your own imagination, drawn on paper and 3D printed before being painted?
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Istari Sage
Thanks Aiks. I'm quite happy with how these ones turned out. The other two minis have more details and so I haven't finished them but they're at the same level of "doneness" as above, just extra parts in extra colors that I've still yet to complete. I look forward to finishing those up hopefully this week.

The golden warriors is just a reference to the Adeptus Custodes which is an army in the Warhammer 40K universe. A lot of the miniatures I've posted here have come from Warhammer 40k. The elves and trees are also Warhammer, except these are not "official" models by Games Workshop but instead 3D printed models from several artists on My Mini Factory.

Istari Sage
Finished the larger Treeman now.

I still think my photos don’t do the minis justice.

Last edited by Romeran on Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Soul
Romeran: Maybe you don't. But I feel they do, I can see the details just fine without extra enlargement. It is a very nice Warhammer Ent. He has a clear personality, I believe there are little squirrels in the branches. How cute! You have done your best. Thanks for sharing.

Istari Sage
Thanks for the comments Aiks, I really appreciate it! And yes there are a couple of little squirrels in there which I thought were cute little additions. I also like the mushrooms too, they help to break up the otherwise consistent "tree" coloring.

The last of the treekin that I'm working on is actually the most detailed one in terms of having other bits-and-bobs on the model. I expect I'll finish it sometime this weekend. Then I have to figure out what I'm going to paint next. I have a bunch of models that I'm trying to choose between. Some elves riding horses, some elves riding stags, some elves with spears. Well all elves I guess. I have an elf riding a huge dragon which I'm excited about but I might save that one til last.

Istari Sage
Finished the elder. Lots of fun little details like the bird and eggs in the nest and the little sprite on top of the staff holding a leaf or the book and bag he carries. Was a lot of fun to paint.

Here’s all of the treekin and Treeman together:

Last edited by Romeran on Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Khazad Elder
Very lovely, Romeran! I like all the details, too, like the mushrooms growing off the legs. You have just given me inspiration for an art competition. Thanks!
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Istari Sage
Thanks @Drifa!

If you do create a new art competition I'd be delighted to enter. Maybe I can actually find a mini that works well for the topic rather than shoe-horning one of my existing ones in :lol:

I started working on some horse archer elves. It'll be fun to play around with some of the markings on horses to try and make them look realistic.

Also I finally got the shield and painted it up on eagle-riding-elf

Istari Sage
Oof. Well I learned my lesson in not using discord to host images as most of them ended up broken. I swapped them all over to Dropbox links so hopefully that'll be permanent. Let me know if you see any issues.

New Soul
Romeran: Oh, I am sorry to learn about that. I hope all links are better now? The last tree with the birdsnest in it and the deer looking up, is wonderful too. I enjoy looking at your artdesigns. Those are not Tolkien elves, but hey! These are warriors are very great, battle per horse and eagle, how awesome! Even they are from another universe, wow I am amazed by your work efforts to make them so real. Thank you again for sharing! :smooch:

New Soul
I paint minis too, great to see another painter on here! I actually just got an airbrush not too long ago and have been loving it/ruining a lot of plastic with it simultaneously. The feathers on that eagle look nice and crisp—I have a lot of trouble getting good contrast, but it looks like you don’t, haha. Great work!