Rings of Power: Predictions Thread [Spoilers]

"As for myself," said Eomer, "I have little knowledge of these deep matters; but I need it not."
Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Now that the separate storylines appear to be converging, I have many theories and predictions rattling around in my head. I thought about posting them in the big thread, and then realized no, because even predictions can contain spoilers. I thought about posting them in the individual episodes thread, but some of them are silly and outlandish. So, I thought how about a single thread to share any of the predictions about the Rings of Power series that we have? From the "so far out there it's kind of fun" theories to the sincere "I legitimately think this will happen" ones. All predictions are welcome. :grin: I will start...

-Even though it's contrary to the lore (because we know that's not an obstacle), the piece of mithril Elrond receives as a "token of friendship" from Durin goes into the crafting of Vilya and the dwarven ring Durin receives.
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Istari Sage
So I was just chatting with my father in law at dinner last night about Rings of Power and he made a fantastic point that had totally slipped my mind. Amazon has rights to the Appendices, I believe, but specifically does not have rights to The Silmarillion or the Unfinished Tales. In a very legal sense this means they can't actually tell the stories written elsewhere because they do not have the legal right to do so. As a consequence they are likely forced to make up things so as not to infringe upon these rights. Granted they are still deviating from the appendices themselves, but I'm sure there's no small amount of legal obligations which effectively mean they have to make stuff up so as not to be sued.

@Romeran, you are correct about what the show runners have access too. They did get approval for some things in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, but it sounded like a "case by case" basis arrangement. For example, they were allowed to use the map of Numenor.

The script and plots are rarely discussed in ways that I would say remind me of Tolkien. I feel the ROP creators are spending a lot of time discussing Tolkien themes and topics in the show...orc origins (and what this says about them morally), the struggle of hope vs. shadow, Elrond forcefully keeping his oath to Durin, just to name a few.
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

This one seems plausible. Early on I thought the Stranger could be one of the Blue Wizards, but what about the other one. I assumed the Eminem cult people were some form of Sauronic cult, but it could be the other wizards searching for his partner. I’ll add an “if only” because that would be interesting, but so far the series is leaving a lot to be desired, without moving the plot along.

If they are wizards, they might have to be generic wizards, because I think all that's mentioned in LOTR and the Appendices comes from Saruman saying Gandalf wanted the Rods of the 5 wizards. Their names and blue color are solely Unfinished Tales info.

A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Loremaster of the Herd
That's definitely possible @Boromir88. Corey Olsen is sold on the Stranger = Blue Wizard (and I definitely think it's getting harder and harder to imagine him as anything but some kind of a Wizard, whether that's Blue or Gray or Brown) but I hadn't really considered the Eminem folks as being tied in to all of that. Looking at the staff in the image you posted, though... Do I see an eye, or asteroids? Hard to tell.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Istari Sage
I'm not caught up on the latest episodes so maybe I've be proven wrong but I'm still fairly convinced it'll be Gandalf. I'll have to go back but I swear he makes some comment about flame of Anor or the Secret Fire which screams Gandalf to me. I wonder if they can't be the Blue Wizards precisely because they're only mentioned in UT and Amazon only has rights to the Appendices, but to your point could easily be generically one of the other 5 wizards mentioned. I expect for fan-service reasons it's got to be someone that we know.

Master Torturer
Stranger is Gandalf and Halbrand is Sauron.

Hasty Ent
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor