Rangers: Headquarters & Armoury

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Éowyn
Éowyn
Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Headquarters - Command Office, Sometime in September, after supper

She made a snappy gesture toward Trastion, who was now standing up, when he apologised in case she'd been busy. It was polite, but seemed like a very empty apology given the obvious way he had been looking for trouble. When he asked if she 'remembered how she told him to make people believe he drank', Arnyn's frown deepened and she crossed her arms. She moved back toward the desk as he removed one shirt to reveal another, throwing the one he'd taken off toward the door.

The frown left her face as she listened to his reasoning, though her arms were still crossed as she half-sat, half-leaned onto the side of the desk rather than reclaiming her chair. "Hmm." Arnyn watched Trastion's expression for a moment. "Look at me, not the floor," she demanded. Her eyes focused on his once he did. "Did Lieutenant Brian leave anything out?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

Noticing her tone, and the sharp way she gestured, Trastion internally winced. She was not happy. He'd only seen her get angry once, maybe twice before, and oddly enough.. always at him. He must have some sort of talent for accomplishing such things, despite not meaning to. It was definitely not his intention.

Dragging his blue gaze up from the floor to meet the fury he expected to be blazing out of the lieutenant's eyes, he was marginally relieved that it didn't look like she was quite that angry, but still.. she was definitely displeased. An instinctive response for him, was to say he was sorry, but he didn't actually think it would go over so well at the moment, and besides, she wasn't the one he'd done the worst offence toward. He also wasn't sure how to explain how sorry he was for some of it, without it sounding less sincere than he intended.

Her question nearly made him look down again, but he managed to steel himself enough to refrain from looking away. He wondered if his eyes would show the remorse he was feeling, as he hesitated for a long moment, inwardly struggling with the best way to reply. Ultimately, he went with the simplest, and shortest, answer. "Yes." It came out nearly in a whisper. He wasn't sure exactly why, but Lieutenant Brian had left out the worst part. He knew that she would probably make him tell what he had left out, but for the moment, he wasn't quite sure how to do that.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

She wanted to close her eyes for just a moment at his reply. Oh, no. But she didn't. He was listening to her - looking at her, but she felt like he wouldn't need much to look away again and did not want to prompt it in any way.

"So. What I have heard so far is that you made a blithering fool of yourself in the barracks. Depending on whom you'll ask, it'll either have ruined or made your reputation, I suppose," she said non-committally. "Drinking, I've noticed, enhances what people are really like beneath the surface. Shows what they really want to do if their inhibitions fall away. You were faking it all, of course, and singing and dancing are by no means the worst things. But you also displayed a sincere lack of respect for the barracks rules by arriving there as you did and making such a spectacle of yourself. The expectation would be you tried to be quiet - even if your drunkenness did not allow for it. But you..." She fell silent for a moment, looking for the right words, and the hilarity of the situation quite suddenly presented itself, causing her to bite her bottom lip to stop a grin from coming on. Ohh, it was a close call. Part of her wanted to laugh at the images of Trastion that now sprouted in her mind's eye, dancing with a broom through the barracks, watched by many eyes and a fuming Barracks Master. Her serious mask broke for a moment, and it was difficult to maintain the serious note in her voice as she continued.
"From what Lieutenant Brian just said, you could not have been much louder, nor did you give any visible cue that you cared about how you're supposed to behave..."

"But that isn't solely what has made the barracks master so livid with you, is it?" She returned to her earlier question, which helped sober the look in her eyes and her tone again. "I'm waiting, Trastion. What don't I know yet?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

'Ruined, more likely,' Trastion thought with some disappointment, yet with any luck, it would cause anyone who was searching for him.. to look elsewhere. The next part she said, however, left him a little more thoughtful. Enhances what people are like below the surface? He hadn't really thought about it like that before. "Lotta people must be real idiots, then.. below the surface," he commented, before realizing he'd spoken that out loud. He cleared his throat. "I mean.. based on what I've seen.. observing people who drink, you know..." He could feel his face going a little red at having spoken his thoughts out loud. "Most of the ones I've seen act like absolute idiots." 'Just stop talking already,' he told himself. His mouth had gotten him in enough trouble for tonight, already.

And as she went on to speak of his own, feigned behavior, he stayed quiet. A sincere lack of respect..? That wasn't quite the case.. but he also didn't want to interrupt her to try and correct or explain. But was that.. almost a smile he saw, for a brief second? He was a little unsure, and also didn't quite dare show any hint of amusement. Because, knowing what he knew he'd done, it shouldn't be at all funny. Even if the other stuff was, at least a little.

Before he could even be sure if he'd seen any hint of amusement on her face, it was gone as she brought them back to the inevitable. Trastion fidgeted uncomfortably. Finding it too difficult to look at her for a moment, he glanced down at the desk, drawing in a breath. "First, I just want to say," he began, hesitating briefly before continuing. "I was trying to act like I've seen other people act when they're drunk." He tried to explain. "They say and do really stupid things.. things they might not normally say or do." Even Kaylin had told him that. "It wasn't exactly my.. intention.. to be disrespectful, I just..." He searched for words. "Well, doing all that, that's the only way I know to act like a drunk.. because that's what I've seen other people doing."

He knew he couldn't keep beating around the bush forever, nor could he keep stalling. "Anyway.. I.. blurted out something.. before I properly thought it through." He went on, closing his eyes now, briefly. "I guess I got into the role a little too much, or something." He mumbled. He took a deep breath, trying to brace himself, and opened his eyes again. Forced himself to look back at Arnyn. "The moment I heard myself say it, I realized how bad it was.. and I feel terrible about it. But it's too late now, and.. I don't think I can ever make up for it."

He dropped his gaze down to his shoes then, sighing, his shoulders slumped slightly. "At the time I was just trying to get him to bring me to you, so I could explain what I was doing. Because I can't tell him anything about this." The idea of entrusting the other lieutenant with his deepest secrets seemed like a terrible idea. Especially since the guy seemed to hate him. "But now... I realize it was a mistake." He sighed and looked up again. "I've really messed up. I know I did. I just don't really know what to do about it."
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

A slight smile appeared when Trastion said that many people must be idiots. "Yes, they are," she agreed. Perhaps that was why she had never allowed herself to get drunk. Maybe she feared the 'stupid' within!

The Lieutenant waited as he ran through his explanations. She couldn't help but feel sorry for him as he showed obvious remorse. To her, anyway. She was torn between keeping it strictly professional and neutral, and between offering some understanding. He had not been dealt a good hand by life. It was easy to forget that. As well as how young he was.
Arnyn pushed away from the desk and slowly walked toward him to put a hand on his shoulder. "I can see you are sorry. But what I need to know is exactly what you are so sorry for, Tras."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

Arnyn's agreement with his comment was slightly reassuring, and he nearly smiled. But he felt a little too weighed down by the other matter to feel light-hearted about that, just now. Watching her reaction, he wasn't quite sure what to make of it for a moment. So far, she didn't seem all that upset, but he worried that was going to change once he had told her what he'd said.

When she moved toward him and put a hand on his shoulder, he took that as a good sign, anyway. Although, he dimly noticed her use of 'Tras' instead of what she had been calling him, 'Taras'. Perhaps it meant nothing. He hoped it didn't. And, of course, he knew he wasn't going to get out of answering that question forever. It seemed he couldn't stall much longer, either. He fidgeted slightly. "I'd rather not say.." He mumbled, being totally honest about that. Then, sighing, he added, "But, I know you're going to hear about it soon or later. Might as well come from me..." He acknowledged.

He just knew he was going to be in so much more trouble than he'd been trying for. "I, uh.. called him something that was.. well, unacceptable." Trastion couldn't think of many other ways of putting it. Pausing as he recalled something from a while back, he quickly interjected, "Just for the record, I did not call him 'lieutenant-or-sir'." He glanced at her, anxious to have her know he had not broken that agreement between them. A moment later, he focused his gaze on a paperweight sitting on the desk, instead. "It was a lot worse, unfortunately." He admitted, more quietly. "I called him..." the rest faded to an inaudible mumble.

When she, inevitably, demanded that he speak up where she could hear what he'd said, he sighed and cleared his throat. "Lieutenant Fryin'," He repeated with a slight wince, reluctant to repeat it although he suspected she'd probably hear it around, from others. He couldn't bring himself to look up at her, just yet. "I don't know what I was thinking, honestly. I want to tell him how sorry I am for saying it, but I doubt he'd even want to see me for at least a year, let alone believe any apology I might offer." He sighed heavily. "Sometimes I can be such an idiot." He muttered, then glanced up at Arnyn, wondering how upset she was with him. Probably disappointed, too.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Rather than apprehensive, she was actually getting worried. What on earth had he said? Every moment that passed, every sentence he added to try and show her his regret, made her dread more and more knowing exactly what it was. Yet, she needed to know - there was no getting out of it. The Barracks Master had been so livid, he had left Trastion's punishment to her, his mentor. And she would be talking to Lieutenant Brian tomorrow. No doubt he would check whether or not Trastion had told her what he had said. And he would draw his conclusions accordingly.

Now, Arnyn knew Brian did not have the best opinion of her. That was alright. But he respected her, in part because the rangers as a whole did. If he learned her own mentee was hiding things like this from her, when he also inevitably knew she would be asking him questions... She did not want to know. Mentally, she sighed. She had to know.

She wanted to say 'right' when he said he hadn't called Brian 'lieutenant-or-sir', but she was too worried by then about what he actually had said to reply with anything else than a nod. After his unintelligible mumble, and her demand for him to speak more clearly, it finally came out. She narrowed her eyes trying to parse out what he'd said. When realization hit a split second later, her eyes widened. Her lips parted slightly and her hand on his shoulder slackened, sliding down his arm a little.

"I don't know what I was thinking, honestly. I want to tell him how sorry I am for saying it, but I doubt he'd even want to see me for at least a year, let alone believe any apology I might offer. Sometimes I can be such an idiot."

She let go of Trastion's arm entirely and just stared at him for a moment. Then she looked away, her other hand briefly rubbing at her chin. "Varda's stars," she uttered, before pressing her index and middle finger to the skin in between her eyebrows. "Looks like you don't need to drink to bring out the stupid," she chided, though she didn't step away from him just yet. "Damn it, Taras." Although she hadn't raised her voice, her tone betrayed just how much she felt he'd blundered.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

He winced slightly, hearing the leiutenant's reaction to that. Yeah, he'd really messed up. Not that he needed Arnyn to tell him, but it just sort of.. confirmed it. It was bad. And despite how bad he felt, he gave a tiny, wry smile when Arnyn mentioned he didn't need alcohol to bring out the stupid. "No, I really don't." He agreed, and put a hand over his face for a moment, then slid it back through his hair. "Yeah. Well, at least I shouldn't ever need to pretend to be drunk again." He tried to offer some optimism to the unpleasant situation. "I plan on telling everyone I've 'changed my ways' and that I'll never touch it again, and all that.." He shrugged and let out a sigh.

"So... dare I ask what'll happen now?" He ventured, hesitantly glancing up. "I mean.. I knew there'd be consequences for this whole thing, but..." He fidgeted slightly, and cleared his throat. "I just didn't expect things to get so.. bad. So I'm sure it'll be pretty severe.. right?" He tried to imagine all the various possibilities for punishment, and figured there were surely many he hadn't even considered. The worst, of course, was the one Lieutenant Brian had mentioned, but he tried to assure himself that Arnyn surely wouldn't be so cruel as to do that.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

She crossed her arms while she carefully assessed his demeanour. He clearly felt bad, and was getting worried about the consequences. At least he wasn't assuming she'd just brush all of this under the carpet and make it go away.

At his inevitable questions about what the consequences would be, Arnyn shook her head and frowned lightly. "A few things, first. Making a big drunken fuss in a place like the Barracks - in and by itself... I mean..." She drew in a deep breath and widened her eyes before letting it out again in a huff. "It's brilliant. Everyone will think you drink from time to time, even if you refuse drinks afterwards - because you can always refer to 'what happened that one time in the barracks'. With just a single move, it accomplishes so much for your cover. You thought of a way to do what we have discussed that is..." Arnyn smiled faintly. "Very efficient." She paused. "Kaylin would be proud, I'm sure - if she knew." The Lieutenant uncrossed her arms, still smiling faintly as she lightly squeezed Trastion's upper arm. "And in regards to efficiency, so am I."

Arnyn then let go of his arm and poked him on the forehead with her index finger. "However. I wish you'd discussed your plan with me first. So we'd been able to at least minimize the damage. You could have been a brilliant thinker. But as it stands, you're a brilliant idiot." She scowled. "That means we still have a lot of work ahead of us."

"Now. It sounds like you are committed enough to what you've done to accept the consequences," she added as she turned around to take up position behind the desk. Leaning forward to put her palms flat on the top of the desk, the Lieutenant lowered her head for a moment before looking back at her mentee. "For there indeed will be consequences. It would have been bad enough if you had only made a ruckus and a drunken fool of yourself," she said with a raised eyebrow. "Do you know how many barracks rules that broke?" She started listing them. "No inebriation on the premises." She straightened again and raised a hand to stop the protest she expected. "Which, technically, you did not break, but you intentionally made it look like you did - so to all onlookers and to the barracks master, the result is the same. No bringing in your own alcohol. No causing a commotion in the common areas unless..." She narrowed her eyes slightly at that. "- unless for safety purposes," she mumbled, realizing that once again, technically, since this had been about his own safety, he hadn't really broken it. Yet, once again - no one else could know that. To all outward intent and purposes, it was a rule he had broken.

"Not just barracks rules, either," she continued, her voice gaining a sorrowful tone. "You disrespected an officer, in more ways than one. You should have realized that you needed to clean up your act when you saw him. You should have at least tried. If you respect authority, that's what authority does - it makes you realize you're making a mistake and makes you want to correct that mistake. You offered no improvement in your behaviour, no apologies as far as I was told - instead, you publicly treated the barracks master like a 'pall' who has no effect on you whatsoever. And then... then you made fun of him in front of an entire hallway." She dropped herself into her chair and pointed at one of the chairs on his side of the desk. "Sit, Trastion," she ordered him, suddenly sounding strict.

The strictness had disappeared again when she continued in quiet tones, which would make Trastion listen very carefully to discern the words. "Do you even know in what condition Lieutenant Brian arrived at the Houses of Healing?" she asked.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

Trastion couldn't help tensing slightly as the lieutenant declared 'a few things first'. He was expecting a rant of some sort.

"Making a big drunken fuss in a place like the Barracks - in and by itself... I mean..."

Here it came. He tried to brace himself for it...

"It's brilliant."

Trastion blinked, wondering if he heard her right. She almost looked.. impressed? He was a little caught off guard by that, and listened as she went on to actually praise him for his efficiency, and even went so far as to say she was proud of him.. for that. He wasn't so sure how to react to that, and so he was still trying to decide whether to smile or not, when she shifted back to the serious matter. He looked down. "Yeah. I should've," He acknowledged, realizing that would, of course, have been smart to talk to her first. With all of his planning ahead of time, why didn't he think of that?

He nodded slightly when she commented that he was willing to accept the consequences. Of course, he was. He'd never expected to get out of this just because it was all an act. It would have raised some eyebrows if he'd done any of that, without some sort of disciplinary action as a result. Now.. there was no way he was getting out of anything. He glanced up again when she asked how many rules he'd broken, and hesitated. The impromptu addition had altered things in his plan, so he wasn't sure, now. But, Arnyn was quick to let him know, so he didn't actually have to answer. He fidgeted as she went on to tell him how bad his behavior had been. Acting, or no acting. He frowned slightly while thinking about that.

The order to sit was so stern, so suddenly, that he almost jumped. He sank into the nearest chair, keeping his eyes on Arnyn. Waiting, uneasily, to hear what she was about to say. When she, instead of beginning a lecture, asked him a question, Trastion a briefly confused before thinking about the question. He slowly shook his head. "No.. I don't." He answered slowly. "I never heard exactly how bad he was hurt.. I did hear that his back was briefly on fire, but it was put out pretty quickly." He frowned. "And that he had some lamp shards in it, like my arm." He paused, and added, "I was concerned about him, when he had to stay for so long in the houses of healing, but everyone said he'd be back soon enough." He shrugged slightly. "I figured it'd be best if I didn't go visit him, you know.. figured it'd make him suspicious of my reasons and all. Not good for someone recovering from wounds to have extra stress added..." He frowned, wondering why she'd asked, and if there was more stuff he hadn't heard about.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

She brought her chair closer to the desk and leaned her elbows on it, entwining her fingers in front of her chin. "His back was bad, yes," she agreed with a nod. "The shards, of course, but it was the oil from the lamps that had caught on fire. His shirt stuck into the blood and the blisters all over his back." She spoke calmly, quietly, but it was clear she did not enjoy speaking of it. Thinking of it. As if she could imagine the pain. "You've spent time at the houses of healing, Taras. You know what time at that place means. You lie in bed. On your back. You sit up in that bed. Leaning your back against the pillows. Brian could do none of that - for weeks. He could not even sleep on his side, because it pulled at the skin on his back. And if you're not used to sleeping in a prone position, it messes with your rest. Rest he needed to heal."

"His back was not the worst of it, though. They had to cut him out of his boots." Arnyn's eyes held Trastion's. "They had to cut the leather of his boots away from his skin. They had to cut parts of skin and flesh out of him - because the flames and the heat had fused them into the leather." As if his feet had been fried on a leather pan. And they'd inevitably burned. "He has returned to the barracks, but I know every step he takes still pains him. Even today."

"He also suffered the worst smoke inhalation out of everyone involved. You, others - everyone else took breaks. Either because of the nature of the tasks you were given - by Lieutenant Brian - or because the Lieutenant simply ordered you to get some air. But he did not. He kept his eyes on his charges. On you lot. And, only in second place, on the building."

She leaned back. "So. Here we are. Lieutenant Brian could not punish you. He probably figured that he was too emotionally compromised to judge the situation justly. So he deferred to me. A good call. Self knowledge is crucial in a position like Lieutenant Brian's. And he definitely possesses it."

"However, that does not mean that I am pleased to be tasked with this. So. Once again, here we are. Knowing all that you now know... About the rules, about the perception, about what happened to the Barracks Master... What do you think would be an appropriate punishment?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

Listening as the lieutenant began to explain, Trastion's mind returned to those incredibly dull, long days he'd had to spend at the houses of healing. He had already felt terrible for having said what he'd said. Now, he began to think how much worse it had been, and wondered if anyone had went to see the guy at all. He had been genuine in his concern when he asked about the barrack's master, during that meeting at HQ, but the suggestion that he should go and visit him had seemed absurd. Now, he wondered whether such a thing would have been welcome. He'd come to see Mourgan often enough, and now that he thought of it, he wondered whether he'd walked right past whichever room Brian had been in.

When Arnyn mentioned Brian's feet, that was a new thing to hear. Trastion looked up, at first mildly puzzled, then as she explained more, his eyes grew round as he listened. Fused to the leather? They had to cut parts of his flesh?! While he didn't slouch down in his seat, he felt as if he was sinking lower and lower. On the inside, if not on the outside. The smoke inhalation, he had guessed. Since the guy refused to leave to take a break even when Trastion tried to tell him he should. He had been worried about that. But the boots.. his feet.. he'd had no idea about that.

He was staring downward at his lap by the time Arnyn concluded. When she asked him, at the end, what he thought should be his punishment, for a moment, Trastion thought sure he hadn't heard right. He blinked, looked up at her, and then told himself that yes, judging from the look on her face, he had heard right. But how did one even begin to think about such a thing? He stared for a moment, speechless as his mind raced to process all of the information and also scrambling to think of what sort of punishments were even a thing, much less what would be suitable. He couldn't think of anything to say for a moment.

"Probably should have my mouth glued shut for the rest of the year," He offered at last, a bit glumly. It wasn't quite meant as a joke, although he knew it wasn't actually likely to happen. He felt it would be well-deserved, since it seemed to be his mouth that got him into the most trouble. Or rather, the things he said. Another possibility occurred to him. "Or.. I dunno. Have my voice removed, if that's even possible." He sighed, glancing toward the window with a sigh. "Shoulda known it was a terrible idea to copy anything my idiot stepbrother would do.." He muttered. "Unfortunately, he's the best example I could think of for how someone acts when they're drunk.." He explained quietly. "You know, that wasn't at all what I planned to do, if Brian showed up." he glanced at Arnyn, wanting her to believe that. "I planned on 'drunkenly' suggesting a re-enactment of the Hattie incident, and then offering to play Hattie's part. I was going to fall down though instead of knocking him down..."

He frowned and let out a sigh, wishing he could somehow go back in time and redo everything about this evening. "Maybe you should assign me to make something impossible to exist. Like.. a machine that would allow me to go back in time and redo this whole evening. It'd be impossible, so I'd just keep failing over and over. Sounds like a good punishment. Right?" He glanced up to see what she thought of the idea. He was not joking, actually meant it quite sincerely, and he looked quite unhappy.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

She tapped the fingernails on one hand on the desk as she waited for his reply, and frowned when she heard it. Despite the silly and unrealistic things he proffered, she did not interrupt. He seemed serious. Tilting her chin up, she watched him in silence for a while.

"The idea is to teach you, Taras. To hone your skills. Add to them. To help shape you into the best version of yourself that you can be. Not to take skills away from you. You will keep your voice, obviously. And learn to use it better."

She scratched her neck, thinking. "There is something about giving you an impossible assignment. Something you know you could never attain, yet still need to try and complete over and over." A look of discontent crossed her features as her gaze traced some lines on the desk. "But no. Something about an assignment like that does not sit well with me. An assignment should always be possible. Perhaps not as you are now, but by some future version of yourself at least."

Arnyn had to fight an upward twitch of her lips when he spoke of what he had been intending - instead of calling Brian 'Lieutenant Fryin'. "The issues involved with that would have been the same, Trastion," she reproached, however. She was sure that incident had also been very hard on Brian's ego. Bringing that up in front of the whole of the barracks... it might have wounded less than calling him Lieutenant Fryin... but it would still have been painful.

"Usual punishments might involve additional duties at the barracks, such as kitchen duties, cleaning duties, what have you," she said slowly, finally diving into the possible consequences. She frowned and looked up at Trastion again. "In addition to other less popular duties such as night shifts, guard shifts, stable duties." She shook her head. "But I'm afraid those won't do. Not this time. Not with what you pulled." Brian would want to make an example out of him. And honestly? Arnyn understood that wish. The need for it, even.

"I'm not giving you any additional duties in the barracks," she stated, her voice becoming business-like and even detached. "In fact you are not to return to the barracks at all. Lieutenant Brian deserves a break from you running your mouth. You are to convince a ranger to go and get the things you need and you will have to stay elsewhere. You are banned from the barracks for at least two weeks. That includes the mess halls. Use your pay or your connections to find different accommodations and meals, but the barracks are strictly off limits. When you have a suitable apology ready for the barracks master, you will first deliver it to me and we will see whether it passes the bar. Only when I am satisfied with it myself, you can go deliver it to him. You will also be first in line to cover any non-barracks related duties assigned to rangers who've fallen ill, so I would not count on much personal time. In addition, I can add to this punishment or alter it at any given time, as I'm sure you are well aware."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

Trastion kept quiet as Arnyn finally responded to him, concerning the punishment. He knew, of course, that the first two things were quite unlikely to happen, although he somewhat thought they were probably well-deserved. Still, the latter, while the 'machine' was silly, the thought of setting him an unobtainable goal seemed to catch the lieutenant's interest, anyway. But, when she said that an assignment should always be possible, he straightened up slightly, perhaps a little relieved that such a thing was not going to be his assignment. That, he imagined, would get very frustrating.

Then, as she pointed out that the thing he'd planned on saying and doing would have been nearly as bad as what he actually said, he let his shoulders drop slightly, again. "Oh." He hadn't really thought about it the way she pointed out, and while he thought it probably would have been less insulting, he figured she was probably right. "So... next time I get an idea, I'm going to run it by you, first." He decided, figuring that would surely be best.

As she went on to list the usual punishments, and then to say that none of those were enough, he silently nodded in agreement with that. And, when she went on to declare that, not only was she not giving him extra duties in the barracks, but he wasn't allowed back at the barracks at all, he stared, eyes widening slightly to hear this. His mouth even opened slightly, but he at least had the sense not to say anything. For a brief moment, he thought she was saying that he was done. Out of the rangers entirely. He was staring in slight disbelief when he realized that was not actually what she was saying.

He let out a slow, quiet breath of relief as he heard 'banned from the barracks', and sat back slightly in the chair. Just the barracks. And only for two weeks, at that. That was far less severe than he'd feared for a moment, and in fact, he frowned slightly once he thought about it. It didn't seem to him like much of a punishment, really. Two weeks on his own, without someplace to stay. He'd done that for over two years, and the first thing to come to mind was that he could just camp out in the Pelennor somewhere. That was easy enough. While it wasn't really the most pleasant thing to be kicked out of what had been his home for the past several months, he didn't think that seemed like as much of a punishment as Arnyn must think. He used to go off camping for days at a time, for fun, back when he lived at home with his family. He was actually on the verge of telling her it wasn't enough, but decided to hold off, as it seemed that she wasn't done speaking.

Keeping quiet, he listened as she went on to add more, and nodded slowly. Taking on extra duties, that was definitely more of a punishment. And.. apologizing? He nearly frowned again, hearing that. He didn't think that should be included, since he already planned on doing that. But, then the last bit, that he would have to run it by Arnyn first, left him a little surprised. That seemed, well, uncomfortable. Trying to give a heartfelt apology intended for one person, but speaking it to another.. that seemed like it would be awkward, and a bit difficult.

As she mentioned not to expect much free time, Trastion nodded slightly again. He wondered just how many rangers got sick in the course of two weeks, and then wondered if some might claim sickness just because they could push off duties on someone else. Having little free time would make it a bit difficult to catch and cook his own food, which would make it more necessary to buy his meals. He held back a sigh, thinking of how carefully he had been saving what he earned, since paying off what he owed to those he'd borrowed from. That was part of the consequences, after all.

After a brief silence, he concluded that she seemed to have finished. He nodded solemnly. "Yes, Lieutenant." He paused, then added, "I assume that is all.. in addition to training sessions?" He asked, halfway to make sure he was still going to be working on his training. But then another thought occurred to him, and he hesitated, slightly uncertain about this. "Uh.. if the extra duties that I have to cover should overlap with planned training sessions.. what would I do then?"

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

"Then we will just have to move up your session," she said without hesitation. "You will be getting your extra duties from me anyway, so I will always be able to tell you how we reschedule. Your antics will not be impeding your new training, which starts tomorrow as you will recall," Arnyn declared. "Though you may wish for that after a few days. The rigours of the training are likely to increase - given all of this. And it was already going to be demanding."

Then she thought of something that might be better to make very clear. "Some advice, Trastion. If a ranger comes up to you and claims you have to cover for someone, do not simply believe them and run off to go do it. Once they hear what you pulled, they might want to pull a few pranks on you of their own accord. Always ask for a written order. If I send someone else to tell you, I will give them one - detailing the nature of the duty, with a start time and also an end time if applicable. No one has been able to convincingly fake my signature... yet."

"Also, I want you to realize that the two weeks are a starting point. I will be speaking to Lieutenant Brian tomorrow and will be asking for his input as well."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

Hearing that he'd get the extra duties directly from Arnyn herself, well that was a bit of a relief, as he had been imagining having to keep very close check on the bulletin board or something. He nodded when she reminded him about his new training starting tomorrow. He may have slightly forgotten that, but hadn't completely forgotten, so he didn't really claim one or the other. Still, the lieutenant's mention that it would become more rigorous because of this, he nearly winced. Thinking of his future self's probable misery. Best not to think about that. He fidgeted slightly in the chair.

He straightened slightly when she mentioned some advice, and was almost amazed that she had the same sort of thought that he'd had, moments ago. And a solution to prevent that from happening. "Right," He answered quietly, nodding slowly, very glad she had told him that. "Thanks." He could just imagine people doing just that, thinking of some of the stuff people had done when he'd had to make all the beds that time. He smiled faintly at the comment about no one yet managing to forge her signature.

The next comment wiped all trace of a smile away. Only a starting point. He swallowed nervously as she added about speaking to Lt Brian about this whole thing. "He'll say I should never be allowed back." He mentioned quietly, feeling his hopes sinking a bit, slightly worried that this might extend into a permanent thing. While he didn't mind camping out for a couple of weeks, he didn't actually want it to be forever.. he'd liked having a safe place to sleep, and a few friends to share a room with, and definitely, regular meals that he didn't have to hunt and prepare himself. And he felt sure that if Lieutenant Brian had his way, he'd be banned from the barracks forever. Not that he could entirely blame him, but still... he wondered whether Arnyn would argue for him to be allowed to come back.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

"You have no idea what he will or will not say," she said abruptly, and gestured briefly to indicate it was not up for discussion. She would find out what the Barracks Master had to say, take it into account and make a decision accordingly. Both Brian and Trastion would simply have to trust that she would make the right call.

"Any more questions?" After he shook his head, she nodded. "Any ideas yet on where you will be staying?" It would probably be better for him to stay away from inns, given the... situation. She figured - hoped - he would remember that. With Trastion, she could never really be sure...
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

He was a bit surprised by her reply, but he didn't dare argue the point. He shifted slightly in the chair, but nodded even though he doubted Brian would want him to ever set foot in the barracks again. Still, he reminded himself that Arnyn had some control over this matter, and hoped she would be able to work something out.

When she asked him about his plans for where he would stay, he was a bit caught off guard by the question. "Uh," He cleared his throat and sat up slightly. "Well, I don't like the idea of staying at any inns, so.. I thought it'd be best to stay away from anything of the sort." He answered a little hesitantly. "I thought I'd camp in the woods or something." He watched her for a reaction, worried she might think it too easy or simple of a solution. "Is that.. acceptable?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Headquarters - Command Office, September 7th, after supper

She narrowed her eyes thoughtfully at his reply. So he had realized, then. Good. And he was thinking of camping. In the woods. Outside of the city?

Considering this as she frowned at him, she had to fight an amused smile from appearing. If he was going to make camp somewhere outside of Minas Tirith... and they were going to train together basically every morning... at first light... That would mean he would have to rise much earlier. It would also mean he'd have to go all the way up six circles to get here - since she'd said they'd be training in the area behind the armoury - not at the training grounds.

"Yes, that would be acceptable," she finally replied, her tone of voice completely indecipherable. Her amusement was well hidden. The Lieutenant rose from her chair. "I will see you tomorrow at first light. You're dismissed."

Before he could get to the door, however... "Trastion," she called, her voice low in her warning. "Never again. Are we clear?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

Trastion held his breath for a moment as he waited. He thought, during that moment, that she was going to declare that camping was too enjoyable for him, and that he should find some other accommodations during this period of punishment. Or, he also worried that she'd insist that it should cost him something out of the money he'd been trying to save. So, it was a relief when she finally answered that it was alright. Camping it was, then. Of course, he knew that it was the time of year when it got cold at night, so it was a slightly less pleasant time of year to be camping. Still, he almost felt guilty that he was going to be doing something he enjoyed, but the thought of all the extra duties, plus the extra training that she promised would be rigorous... and the thought of more things being added on later.. he figured he'd be regretting this evening for a very long time. A couple weeks of camping would be like a reprieve from it all, right?

He had no more questions, at least none came to mind right away. Hearing her say that he was dismissed, Trastion stood slowly. Something else had occurred to him. If he was going to camp, he would need his supplies. And she'd said he would need to convince someone to get his stuff for him, because he wasn't allowed at the barracks. That in itself wasn't such a problem, but what he was suddenly concerned about was the fact that he would probably need to continue the drunken act, when he spoke to anyone. He frowned at that thought. He'd have to put that smelly shirt back on, right? And.. oh. No laundry service in the morning, either. He hadn't anticipated that problem. His mind was racing with all of these issues, wondering how he should be acting by this point, and how to get the attention of one of his roommates without actually coming into the building.

Reaching down to pick up the shirt from in front of the door, Trastion's attention was brought back to Arnyn when she spoke again, calling out his name. He turned and gave her a serious nod. "Yes, lieutenant, very clear. You have my word." He answered solemnly, then gave a fist to heart salute to her, paused to make sure she was really done with him before leaving the office. Once he had left, he lingered in the hallway for a bit. He had a lot to think about, and figure out, and hoped to get his stuff without too much difficulty, so he could hurry and find a good spot to spend the night. With all his thoughts focused on that issue, it didn't even occur to him about how difficult it would be to get back here so early in the morning...

@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Sometime before Dawn

He had slept terribly, despite having managed to get his supplies from the dorm. Not only did he find it quite chilly out in the woods, but he kept thinking about how badly he'd messed up, and how much his idiotic words had probably hurt someone who didn't deserve that. When Trastion did finally get to sleep, he'd woken shortly after, feeling as if someone was lurking near his camp. It turned out to be a raccoon, but after that he'd found it difficult to shake the memory of a bad dream that troubled him at times.

It was difficult to figure out what time it was now, suddenly being so far from the barracks. It was a cloudy night, too, so he couldn't even see the stars to try and make a guess. Having to rely on himself to know the time... he was not quite accustomed to that. When he'd camped for fun, it didn't matter what time he or his brother got up. After he left home, and was living on his own in the woods, it didn't matter then either, unless he had a job. But when he had a job, he'd usually stayed fairly close to others, so he could figure it out based on when everyone else was getting up.

He had just begun nodding off when he became aware of the fact that there were birds chirping, though it was still dark. He lay huddled in his bedroll, listening for a little while, before it dawned on him that it must be close to dawn. It had that feeling in the air, like it was just a little bit before sunrise. He would have liked to watch the sunrise from where he was, but knew he'd be up in the training area with Arnyn, by that time, and probably wouldn't get to actually take the time to watch and enjoy it. Too bad. There wasn't much time now before he'd get up, and then...

And then, suddenly, the amount of distance he would have to go in order to meet Arnyn for training, also dawned on him. And the lack of time that he had in which to cross that distance! He might have set a new record in donning his gear as swiftly as possible, but he didn't have any way of keeping track of how long it took him. While he had, initially, been thinking he would have some sort of breakfast before he set out to go back up to the sixth circle, there was no time for that. He didn't even take the time to pack up his camp, and hoped very much that his things would still be there when he returned.

He almost ran off without his sword, but doubled back hastily to snatch it up from where he'd left it next to his bedroll. Would he be needing the bow? He didn't recall her saying anything about it, but... better grab it, just to be sure. He fumbled, trying to balance both weapons while grabbing for the quiver as well, and then just on the off chance he might get half a second to scarf down a quick breakfast, he grabbed something from his pack, which he had thankfully already had in there before he got banned from the barracks and Mess.

The run up the circles was.. not very enjoyable. He did manage to secure his sword at his hip by the time he reached the main gate, and then one of the guards held him up a bit, insisting he needed to secure his weapons before he entered, so there wouldn't be any risk of arrows falling out of his quiver and littering the streets, and all that. It was, in a small way, a relief to take a moment to do that, but he felt anxious the whole time. He was already late enough!

Unknown to him, the guards had a good laugh asking themselves, after he was out of earshot, amused as they watched him run off in such haste.

He'd done plenty of running down in the training grounds, especially last month. There had been times during the previous month of training that he'd thought he wasn't going to make it to the end. It had been intense. So, he wasn't unused to running, nor even running in full gear. But.. uphill? Six levels... he'd heard each level was a hundred feet high. So that meant he had to run up six hundred feet, not even in a straight line, either! All the while struggling to keep his weapons from jostling and bumping, while trying to choke down a hard, dry biscuit with a chunk of dried meat on it, and realizing he'd left his waterskin in his pack, and only had the small canteen bouncing at his side. And he'd forgotten to top it off since the last time he used it.

Huffing for breath, with his side hurting from pushing himself so hard, Trastion no longer felt the least bit chilled as he finally arrived at the training area behind the Armory. He was amazed to find that he had somehow beaten the sun, for it had not yet risen, and he didn't even yet hear any sounds to indicate Cali was getting the forge running. Resting his hands against a fence bordering the practice area, he let it support him as he focused on just breathing for a moment. Surprisingly, Arnyn wasn't there yet, he noticed, though it was a small relief, as he hoped that would give him a few moments to catch his breath.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Headquarters, around dawn on September 8th

The window in the office was open. It was ridiculously early, and Arnyn could use the morning chill to help her wake up still. The mug of steaming coffee on the desk also helped in that regard. This was the first day she was to meet Trastion for their new and 'improved' training sessions. The first time they would train together since the moment Trastion said he wanted to specifically learn Arnyn's sword style. She'd awoken early, and figured she might as well get some paperwork out of the way first, so she wouldn't have to do it later.

Sounds from beyond the window were a surprise. At this hour? Distracted, the Lieutenant picked up the mug and walked over to the window, while someone rushed by. Huffing and puffing. Jingling with armour and weapons. She smirked. Could it be? Might she be so lucky?

Leaning her forearms onto the high window sill, Arnyn peeked out of the open window, coffee still in hand. Well. It sure looked like Trastion from the back. With a silent grin, she retreated back into the office and leaned against the wall. To take a slow sip of her coffee. She drew in a deep breath and walked back over to the desk, leaning forward again to finish a note on one of the papers, sign it, and move it to the 'done' pile. With a half-way content nod, she sipped the coffee again, looked the office over and moved to grab her sword leaning against the wall.

Steaming coffee in one hand, her scabbarded sword in the other, she leisurely walked over to the training area beyond the armoury. To find Trastion already there - of course - with his hands on the fence, trying to get his breathing under control. With expertly repressed amusement, Arnyn watched him calmly for a moment. He probably hadn't even heard her approach. She'd been quiet, after all. And he was still breathing hard.

"Morning, Taras," she finally offered cheerily. "I'd offer you some coffee, but seems like you need no help with waking up...?" she asked, her question trailing off a little. "You're... early."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Sometime before Dawn

Trastion could hardly believe that he'd managed to make it here in time. Not only in time, but before Arnyn. And, based on the darkness still overshadowing things, even here on the sixth level, he still had a bit of time left before the appointed time. He'd have time to catch his breath, stretch his aching legs, maybe see if he could get his canteen refilled...

"Morning, Taras,"

The lieutenant's voice startled him slightly, though he didn't jump or show any sign of it. He turned, gave a small smile when he saw her arriving with her sword at her side. And then the smile fell away at the next words to leave her mouth. Early. He blinked, glancing up at the sky. Yeah.. it was still a bit before dawn, but... he looked down at Arnyn again, still puffing for breath a little. "H-how early?" He asked, making an effort to straighten a little despite a pain in his side from the intense uphill running.

A part of him felt like the sky should be lighter by now, if it was almost dawn, but another part argued that it was tricky because this was the time of year when days began to get shorter and the sunrise seemed to happen a little later each day, and set a little earlier, and so forth. So, maybe he was only a few minutes off?
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

How early? "Over half an hour early." She looked him up and down. "You seem to have hurried. And come on foot." She smiled faintly. This clearly pleased her. "Good. When you come here for our training sessions, I always want you to run up all six circles." She narrowed her eyes slightly. "On your own feet. With no breaks - or as few as you can physically manage." After taking another sip of her coffee, she smiled. "It will do wonders for your stamina. Which has already improved greatly, but still needs to be better. Fighting in battle takes a lot out of you. So do drawn out one-on-one matches." Her recent sparring match with Kaylin had proven that, once again. "Your side shouldn't hurt after doing this," she noted calmly, not oblivious to the awkward way he was straightening his back.

"Well. Who would have thought your choice of camping outside of the city would have such an excellent side effect?" the Lieutenant asked rhetorically, although she was hiding her amusement. "You should probably drink some water," she pointed out.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Sometime before Dawn

Half an hour? Over half an hour! Trastion stared at Arnyn for a second before letting out a little groan of frustration. He slid down to sit on the ground, his back against the fence he had been leaning on before. He'd run all that way for nothing. Gradually, his breathing was slowing down to normal, and the pain in his side would subside, but... those guards! He thought back about how they held him up at the main gate, delaying him almost as if they thought it was amusing. They must have known how early he was, and they didn't even say anything!

Trastion leaned his head back against the fence and sighed. "At least.. I can catch my breath," He mumbled wearily. But then.. Arnyn's next words made him look up again in disbelief. She wanted him to run.. every day!? He thought of having to do this every day for two weeks - hopefully she only meant the time while he was banned from the barracks! - and it seemed so daunting that he quickly decided not to think about it at all.

Something about the way she commented on the 'side effects' of his choice to camp.. made him wonder if she'd already known what that would mean for his journey to get here each day before dawn. He held back a sigh. Of course, she had. The mention of drinking some water reminded him that he had very little of it left. He pulled out his canteen and glanced at it, then set it down again with a quiet sigh. "It's almost empty," He informed her quietly, somewhat disappointed. "Didn't get a chance to refill it before I had to leave last night." He explained. He'd been very conservative with his water during the run up here, only taking a small sip when he reached each level, partly since he'd had to take a pause anyway with the guards asking him questions at each gate. He had wanted to make sure he could make it stretch through the morning's training session, since he didn't know if anywhere to get it refilled without going into the mess hall. Which he was banned from. Unless...

"Unless.. someone would be kind enough to take pity on me and refill it for me?" He added hopefully. "Would you, please?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

She held back a smirk at the way his frustration with himself and the situation was showing. The way he groaned and slid down to the ground. Clearly, he was displeased he had been running unnecessarily. And that his mistake had ensured he would have to run again. Every. Single. Time.

Raising an eyebrow at the statement about his canteen but otherwise keeping her silence, Arnyn thought that at least he was living with the consequences of his punishment. And feeling the consequences. His question made her blink. "You can refill it just through that door," she said, nodding in the right direction so he wouldn't be confused. "We don't just keep water at the barracks kitchens. You can use your extra time to catch your breath, then drink up and get ready." She pointedly sipped her own drink. "I have my coffee to finish, before we begin."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Sometime before Dawn

Hearing there was another place to get the canteen filled, Trastion was a little surprised. So, in addition to the Mess, and the Little Mess, there was yet other places with water? "Oh. I didn't know about that." He turned his head to look the way that Arnyn had nodded, and held back a sigh. That would mean getting back up. He shouldn't have sat down in the first place...

Grabbing onto part of the fence just above his head, he pulled himself upright. His muscles protested, but he tried not to groan. He was definitely going to feel that in the morning. And the actual workout hadn't even begun yet! He gave a small nod to Arnyn when she mentioned that he could rest up and get ready for their training while she finished her coffee.

Trying not to drag his feet, he went in search of the water she had spoken of. After happily filling his canteen, Trastion then took a long drink, followed by several smaller sips. His throat felt much better afterward. Once he'd drank enough to no longer feel thirsty, he filled it again and put the stopper in. Then, he took a moment to stretch some of his already-protesting muscles. Something he realized would have probably been better to do immediately after his run, but he had been too weary to think of it. Also, he'd have to try and remember to do some sort of warmup before tomorrow's run. The thought was in the back of his head as he returned to the training area.

Glancing up at the sky, he wondered how much time was left, now. At least, he consoled himself slightly, he had been early rather than late. That definitely would have been bad. And so, it was probably for the best that he had got up when he did, rather than rolling over to try and get a bit more sleep. He suspected that he might have slept right through the dawn, if he'd done that.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion @Karis Ziranphel
Headquarters - Secured Cell, beginning of August

Arnyn had to give the Umbarian some credit: after the frightful look Shamara had given Arnyn and her sword earlier, and despite the suspicions that she might be meeting her end today by that very sword... Shamara had not backed away after the Lieutenant's approach. The prisoner still had herself under control.

"You might not be damned if you speak well," Arnyn corrected Shamara when it looked like Karis was planning to hold her silence for a while. "No one in Umbar needs to know you told us anything. Do any of them even know that you are here? I should think not."

After Shamara's last question, Arnyn's heatbeat sped up. Would she speak? Would she share? The Lieutenant's eyes narrowed, but otherwise she showed nothing of her thoughts or emotions. "Which personas do you deem important in Umbar? Who are they, and why are they important?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn , @Karis Ziranphel
Shamara
Headquarters - Secured Cell - Beginning of August

"They might not know that I am here, yet," Shamara said hesitantly. "And they might not care... yet. But I am sure they have their little birds here reporting to them like Relic likely used to have. Who knows what they might think after." It would be costly if someone back there found out, and yet... the Umbarian did not see any advantage in holding off from speaking. Currently, playing according to the rules these Gondorians set for her was her best bet. She'd deal with anything else when it came to it. Survival here and now was most important, lest they decide she just took up space and executed her for those accusations they had raised against her.

Shamara's dark eyes studied Arnyn for a while, then travelled to Karis, and back to Lieutenant again, as she considered how much she should say. She did her best to appear non-threatening, hands at her sides, though she still maintained her place, and when she spoke her voice was quiet, yet loud enough that the both women could hear her.

"I do not know what you already know from your own sources, though I figure the information would be extensive..." she began, supposing that the Rangers had likely done their homework. "I doubt I'll have anything new for you in this matter. Relic was feared, but with her now removed... There's the whole Halsad clan - the head of it being the priest in the blood temple. Great influence over people, power - I mean... he could easily make people disappear, take them for his sacrifices if he didn't like them for some reason. Then his sons, each worse than the other. Three of 'em. Guess also this Haarith Gimlân. He's got trade going and such. Got his fingers in quite a few pies. A plenty of smaller houses just waiting to take up place when one of the big ones would fall. Most don't rely on just one type of influence. Mostly a mix of some sort of leadership roles, trade, slaves, military might."

Shamara looked at Arnyn trying to judge if the woman was satisfied with answers. "I am not really sure what specifics you want me to give you. But these would be the main ones," she blinked, let her gaze go down towards the floor, and then added: "Not really getting along with each other either, though... if they perceived a threat they'd probably band up even though they rather compete and strive for upper hand amongst themselves otherwise."

Éowyn
Éowyn

Arnyn listened without any change in his expression while Shamara spoke. That the main players in Umbar would only stop fighting each other to fight a threat against their way of life, was hardly a surprise. But... back to why she was here. Arnyn wanted to find out whether Shamara had any additional information. Information Trevadir and Unalmis had not been able to give her. Interestingly enough, Shamara had mentioned the Halsads. And she'd already learned a great deal about them. A test, then.

"This Halsad clan..." Arnyn shook her head briefly, as if she did not know much about them. "Is it just the priest who frightens you? And if not, what frightens you about his three sons?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Shamara

Shamara had only provided the general information, waiting for more pointed questions to see what direction the questioning would take, yet she was rather surprised to find that Arnyn was asking about her reactions and feelings. Why did it even matter? Shamara glanced through lowered eyelashes in some suspicion. But then again, the questions appeared simple enough.

"I would definitely steer clear of that mad priest," she said, moving slightly closer to Arnyn as if intending to disclose a secret. "His sons though..." She considered how to word it for a while, and then simply stated: "I'm sure I could charm two of them with more or less ease, but this Keket..." she pulled her face as if she had bitten into a lemon. "Not to be toyed with. Dangerous. Disgusting!"

For a few moments she paused, wondering if she should continue along this line. Perhaps it would be something they were waiting to hear? "I ended up as a go-between of sorts between Relic and him," she confessed almost in whisper. "He forced me into seeking audience with Relic for him, and then he proceeded to bring this gross... mass of human flesh as proof that he deserved the prize..." Shamara stopped suddenly, cleared her throat, and then finished: "Cooperation with her."

Éowyn
Éowyn

If even an Umbarian operative was calling Pharak mad... That told her enough. And Shamara, too, confirmed that she would deem Keket the most dangerous of the three brothers. She even called him disgusting. On account of what he did to people. That was obvious. A 'mass of human flesh'? Arnyn wanted to grimace. She did not.

"A cooperation?" she picked into Shamara's words. "What kind of cooperation, exactly?" Would Keket have similar agreements with others, the Lieutenant wondered already? Odds were that, if he'd reached out to Relic, he would have reached out to others as well. "Do the slavers in Umbar like him?" she added slowly. "Or do they only fear him?" The wheels in Arnyn's mind were turning ceaselessly. If it was only fear... then the Rangers might not run into much resistance at all if they mostly sought to remove the Halsads.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Shamara

"Well..." Shamara drew in a deep breath and then released it slowly as she considered her words, unwilling to delve into this subject too much since she herself was rather tied up in it. However, she supposed that giving no response at all would not do her any favours.

"More than his usual deals, I would guess. He does want people for his... entertainment. Though he had never visited Relic at her home for such petty business," the Umbarian revealed eventually. "He had learned from someone - not me, I suppose that lackey of his, Arkadhur or what's his name - that Relic held the Alarion. Uhh. Your Captain, I guess. And for reasons unknown to me he wanted access." Shamara pulled away slightly as if afraid that Arnyn would strike her or to show that she did not have too many details on this subject.

"Fear, perhaps. I doubt anyone likes him; at most, he's seen as a useful asset to be tolerated," she responded to the other questions. "I'd prefer not to see him more than absolutely necessary."

Éowyn
Éowyn

Pele. Again with Pele. 'He wanted access.' Access. What a detached word, for what Keket had wanted - or for what Arnyn supposed he'd wanted. The Lieutenant's expression remained ever the same, however, despite the twitch in her heart. She stayed clear of diving into that subject any further. Shamara had just said she did not know why Keket had wanted... access... to Pele. If the Umbarian knew, she probably thought it would be safer not to tell them.

She only narrowed her eyes slightly when Shamara called Keket a useful asset. "How do others deem him useful?" she wanted to know, her voice still rather emotionless. From what she had heard, she could hardly imagine him to be useful to anyone. A sadistic torturer who hates everyone... Perhaps he extracted information for people? Perhaps he broke people that the slavers were having a hard time with?

Arnyn turned her head just enough to look at Karis before returning her focus to Shamara. "Perhaps most others would be relieved if there was another in Keket's place," she suggested. "If he is as digusting as you say."

@Rillewen

Once her coffee was finished, she drank some water herself and then took up position in the training area. She'd already done her stretching before coming over to headquarters. "You ready, Trainee?" she asked Trastion. "Remove all of your weapons and things like scabbards and quivers - also pouches and canteens and what not. We will start with some bodyweight exercises. We're keeping our armor on - just not the added equipment." She said 'we', for she intended to train right alongside him - and she was also wearing her gear. It would save her time, later, in not having to do the same exercises again.

"You are on sixty push ups a day, right," she mused, assessing him pensively. "Without gear? Let's see how many you manage with it." Getting into a plank position, she waited for Trastion to do the same. She didn't even wonder if he would be confused or surprised at her doing the exercises along with him or not. She sometimes had, in the past, but not systematically. "Now you're training for my style, you need to know the regimen," she explained. "You should at least build yourself up to my level with these body weight exercises. As a man, probably more." She didn't like to admit it, but fact was fact. Men just built muscle more easily.

Around the mid-fourties, she could see Trastion was starting to struggle. "Don't worry," she breathed, focused on what she was doing. "It's very different with the added weight and different distribution. Your body needs to get used to it. Keep up for as long as you can. The aim is 80."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Around Dawn

At the instructions to remove all of his gear, Trastion was quite relieved. He was glad to take off all the extra weight. After laying aside everything that she said to remove, he was a bit surprised that she included the sword with those instructions. Wasn't that the point of this training though? To learn to use the sword? He didn't question her verbally, though he did give a questioning glance at that. He added his sword to the pile and then nodded when she asked about the pushups. "Yes, that's right." He answered.

Ever since the first training session, when she had him do twenty pushups when he'd never done even one before, he had been working on increasing his ability to do those. On the first, he'd asked Mourgan to help him make sure he was doing it correctly, but once he got the hang of it, he'd been doing so many each night before bed. Once he got used to doing twenty, he began adding ten more each month, so by now, he was up to sixty. "Right.. without gear." He confirmed, suddenly a little worried how much the armor was going to affect him. When the lieutenant appeared that she was going to do the exercises along with him, he wasn't very surprised, since she did so now and then. And, it made sense to show him what he would be doing, he thought.

It turned out, he managed to get just past forty before he began to feel he couldn't do another. His arms were shaking, struggling to keep pushing up, but he was trying very hard to keep it up. Trastion was a bit amazed, and impressed, that Arnyn was most likely going to pass his count. As he reached forty-eight, he was sure his arms were on fire. But he was so close to fifty.. he wanted to at least get to that point. Once he finally got to fifty, he was struggling, and breathing hard. Having barely managed to achieve the fiftieth pushup, he collapsed and let his arms rest while he took a breather and waited for Arnyn to finish hers. To think that she would get to eighty with her armor on..? He could hardly believe it, yet he knew it was probably true. She'd never lied about such things before, so why would she now?

High Warden of Tower
Shamara

Shamara carefully listened to Arnyn's voice and examined her face and that of Ziran for traces of anger or impatience, but she saw none. It could not be that they were emotionless. Well trained? Either way, the Umbarian felt relatively safe and saw no reason to refrain from answering. It was likely that failure to do so would rather incur wrath on her.

"I cannot speak for others so much," she formulated her answer and weaved in some personal information. "Most are not opposed to violent sights. It's just that I am not attracted to torture and blood, nor do I have reasons to hate anyone so much as to wish them to suffer that way."

Having answered the questions only in part, Shamara shifted as she tried to guess where Arnyn was going with her questions. Would she dare send people into Umbar after Keket?

"Keket needs bodies... well, living people to kill eventually, I guess. For his experiments. So he is useful in that he takes the slaves others refuse to buy, and that way slavers get some return even for slaves that are near to useless," she explained a hint of disapproval on her face which quickly subsided. "Not sure most slavers would be that eager to get rid of him. Though I doubt they would put their lives on the line to protect him either. Then again - who knows if the next guy taking his place wouldn't be the same. We have a good share of crazies and violent folks, as you probably can see."

Éowyn
Éowyn

Experiments. Experiments? Was the man even worse than she had come to think so far? But even if what Shamara was now saying, made him sound worse - her response to Arnyn's questions did not fulfil the Lieutenant's hope that most of the other Umbarian players would want to do away with the torturer. Keket was almost a guaranteed source of income, given his... disposition. Mentally, Arnyn scowled.

Realizing she was coming to the end of her ability to maintain her perfect mask, Arnyn stepped back to once more lean the back of her shoulders against the wall, arms crossed in front of her. She spoke to Karis as much as to Shamara, next. "We need intelligence on the harbour. The route to the slave market. The route to the temple," the Lieutenant stated, her tone deadpan. "If we were to venture there... any possible obstacles that we need to find a way around." Karis would know how to be specific enough, now she knew this much, right? And if Shamara would prove to be evasive, the Umbarian prisoner would soon learn that Arnyn was not easily satisfied with such answers.

@Rillewen

Once she'd finished the eighty reps, she sat back on her front legs and knees. "Eighty with armour on," she said, "or one hundred and twenty with armour off." She gave Trastion a smile that possibly betrayed some of her amusement at his disbelief. "Every day. Keeps the arms, shoulders and part of the back ready. Also rather good for your core strength. Onc eyour body is used to it, it doesn't add any muscle," she explained. "It's just about maintenance, and about stamina in those muscles. Mostly I do a variation on this more basic move though," she admitted. "Then I need less repetitions to achieve the same results." She moved to the wall and crouched in front of it, her back to the wall. Then she stretched out her arms and walked up the wall, so her body formed a 45 degree angle with the floor. She showed Trastion what she meant by doing two or three push-ups that way. "It works a few more muscles, and adds more weight," she explained. "It's very effective."

Arnyn proceeded to take Trastion through several other exercises that used their body weight, that focused on different parts of the body and offered a full muscle workout without the need for separate weights. She always gave him targets, like she'd done with the push ups. Even if he wasn't quite there yet, he'd know what to work toward.

When they finished, the Lieutenant was sweating, but still smiling. It was the good kind of burn. "So. How are we doing, Taras?" she asked.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Dawn

He could almost not believe that Arnyn did a hundred and twenty pushups each day, without gear. That was twice what he'd gotten up to. He didn't doubt her though, he knew she wouldn't lie or exaggerate about it, but still...

And that wasn't all! He struggled to get through the many exercises along with her, and by the time he finished, he felt like every muscle in his body was shredded to pieces. He was not used to such a workout, and the only one that he was familiar with was the pull-ups, which he had difficulty doing because his arms were in such pain from the push-ups.

At last, the workout seemed to have reached an end.. he hoped. If it wasn't, he was in trouble, since he felt like he could hardly lift his arms. Trastion collapsed on the ground with a groan in reply to what she'd asked, so he was looking up at the sky. It was lighter now. He thought his muscles might even be shaking a bit. If he'd thought that very first training session had been intense, it was nothing compared to this one. It probably didn't help that he'd had barely any sleep, prior. "Just.. one question," He turned his head to look over at her. "If I hadn't done what I did last night.. would it still be this intense?" He had to ask, because he couldn't help wondering if this was part of the punishment, or if it would've been like this regardless.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn had to hold back a laugh when he collapsed as he did. At his question, she raised her eyebrows lightly. "Yes," she said, as if it were the most normal thing in the world. "If you want to learn my style, you'll learn to do what I do. This is what I do."

"Running up six circles first does make it more intense, of course," she added casually. Arnyn rose to her feet and started stretching her shoulders and arm muscles. "Best stretch it out, Taras. Or you'll be very sorry tomorrow." She showed him how to stretch and waited for him to copy her. "Time for a small break and a drink," she announced - for she was parched.

Once they'd rehydrated some, she glanced at him with some amusement. "If you're ready for part two, you can pick up your sword now."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Dawn

Upon hearing that yes, this was exactly what they would have been doing regardless, Trastion nodded. That was a relief, at least. Knowing that she was not adding more to the load just to add more to his punishment. When she declared that it was best to stretch out after the workout, he barely kept from groaning. He really just wanted to stay where he was, but he pushed himself upright again with a bit of effort, and followed Arnyn's example as well as he could manage.

He was very glad for a break, and a chance to drink some water. Trastion felt sure he'd pushed his muscles to their limits already, and was already dreading how awful it would feel in the morning.

And then she asked if he was ready for part two. Trastion stared at her for a second, momentarily alarmed at the thought of yet more workouts.. but the alarm faded swiftly when she spoke of the sword. Ah.. they were finally getting to the training they had come for. Too tired to speak for the moment, he wordlessly grabbed his sword from where he had left it earlier, and frowned a bit. He was a bit concerned. His arms already ached tremendously. How was he supposed to manage this?
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Shamara

"Wait... what..." Shamara's lips remained parted as she stared at Arnyn and then at Ziran in disbelief. They were actually planning an attack on Umbar? Not a full-fledged war surely? Perhaps more of a focused raid. Were they thinking to arrive by ship and then head on to destroy the slave market and the temple?

"That sounds quite ambitious," she added, now considering what all it meant. If she gave the Rangers details they wanted, she would likely be killed the moment she set foot in Umbar - even if the Rangers themselves did not speak a word that it was her who had given the information. The possibilities that Umbarians would learn where she had been were great, and they were surely to make their own conclusions. Then again, perhaps she would never even be let out no matter how much she tried to collaborate.

And if she informed the Gondorians and then somehow sent word to Umbar so that they could set up an ambush? Or gave them directions right into a proper snake pit... Well, that would just as well mean a death sentence.

Shamara disliked both options, but it was clear that she would have to choose one or the other, and then live with the consequences as long as her life would last after. Her shoulders slumped a little, and the Umbarian retreated more into shadows as if seeking a place to hide.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Headquarters, dawn on September 8th

Nodding with approval, Arnyn unsheathed her own sword. "No practice weapons today," she said softly, and moved into position. "You know the basics. We've gone over them - and more, by now. But now I want to show you... the slight differences I apply." She instructed him to stand this way and that, while she first showed the basic move, followed by how she had adapted it to suit her. "All styles focus on the finish, of course," she told him after showing him a few things. "The difference I want you to understand is, we don't go for what works and costs us energy. We go for what works and saves our energy as much as possible. And while it takes a lot more energy to learn and to train - and definitely to figure all of this out -... and while it requires your head to be in the game at all times... as well as tremendous control... it prolongs your stamina in a fight. And it gives you an edge, Taras."

As they trained, she showed him more and more of what she meant, and her words would become increasingly clear to her trainee. After about three quarters of an hour, they were both drenched in sweat. The sun beamed above them. "Now show me what you've learned," she ordered. "Then, I promise we are done for the day."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Dawn

Trastion gave a small nod when Arnyn informed him they would not be using practice weapons. He wasn't sure if she had heard that he'd been training with the real sword, with Kaylin, or if she thought this would be new for him. He did, however, find his arm more than a little sore. Raising the sword was not the most enjoyable thing right now, but he tried to endure it without complaining. He had asked for this, after all.

As they went through the different moves and techniques, he was interested in what she was showing him, but found it difficult to actually achieve very much, as sore as his muscles were after that intense workout.

By the time she instructed him to show what he had learned, Trastion was half wondering how he was going to manage anything further. He stared at her with slight incredulity. She couldn't be expecting him to actually fight. Not like this, surely. "I'm not sure how well I can move.. at all." He said, a little worried about how well he could manage this.

@Arnyn

Headquarters office
Morning of Sept 3rd

Aggie hadn't ever been to the ranger office, and in fact, she'd rarely ever spent much time up on the sixth level, but the place wasn't really hard to find. And while she knew that non-rangers were not permitted in the barracks, as far as she knew the office was alright to visit, if one had business here. And she certainly had that.

Entering the quiet building, she paused and looked around, feeling already as if it had been ages since she parted from Duinion and Kaylin. She wondered if he'd had any success in picking up a trail, but tried not to get too hopeful. At least he'd had someone else with him, and a very capable person at that. Especially since he seemed quite determined not to let Domanol in on what was going on. She let out a little sigh and ventured down the hall, toward the office. It was still fairly early, so she wasn't sure if anyone would be there, but she hoped to find someone, at least. Almost unsure if she ought to break the silence, Aggie reminded herself this was important, and knocked on the door.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

She noticed the stare, and raised her eyebrows a little as she waited. "Well?"

When Trastion said he wasn't sure if he could even move, she lowered her sword and slanted her head. "If you can make an utter fool of yourself at the barracks, you can do this as well," she told him. She didn't sound angry, nor like she was teasing or mocking him. It was said... simply as it was.

"You think there are not times when you feel like you cannot move anymore, when your life is on the line?" she asked quietly. "Do you need to feel like your life is in danger before you will listen and do as I tell you?" She raised her sword again. "Because, we can take that path, too."

Headquarters, morning of September 3rd

The knock on the door almost made her spill the coffee she was pouring. With an amused look at the desk, which had narrowly escaped a hot shower, Arnyn lowered the pot onto the desk and sighed quietly. It looked like today's business was about to officially begin.

"Yes?" she called out, turning toward the door. It wasn't open yet. Arnyn had hoped to be able to enjoy some coffee in peace before actually submitting herself to the demands of the ranger force. "Come on in."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
Dawn

While Trastion wasn't entirely sure what the fake drunk act had to do with being able to train, he managed not to give her a confused look. That was rather different. He hadn't just been training intensely so that all his muscles were sore and protesting, when he did that. But he did get what she meant about the other part. He gave a small shake of his head when she asked if he needed to feel like he was in real danger. "No, lieutenant," He replied. There were certain times that it seemed more appropriate to call her lieutenant, while other times felt more informal. This seemed like the former.

He readied his sword and tried very hard to push through the discomfort in his limbs, so he could make use of the things that she had been teaching him as well as he could. Seeing that she was waiting on him to initiate the attack, he began with the last move that she had been teaching him, since it was freshest in his mind.

@Arnyn

Headquarters office
Morning of Sept 3rd

At the call for her to come in, Aggie pushed open the door and stepped inside. She tried to force a little smile as she recognized Lieutenant Dealedwen from her visit out to the farm, before, but her expression still appeared somewhat troubled. "Lieutenant, I'm sorry to trouble you," She apologized right away. "I'm not sure if I've come to the right place, but I have found you, so, if I'm not supposed to be here, I apologize." She explained, hoping this area wasn't off limits to non-rangers. She tried to quickly get to her reason for being here. "Duinion asked me to let you know... he won't be available for any sort of duties for..." She paused. "well, I.. I'm not sure for how long."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

She was pleased he understood she meant business. Whether he did or did not understand that her pushing him at this point was in fact a punishment for his antics the day before, was unclear. But she hoped he did. Her words had been obvious enough, she thought.

"Good."

He performed the move sloppily. She did not comment, though she did frown. "Again."

They went through this several times with several of the moves, even after it became clear that he was not going to be performing well anymore. Yet Trastion kept trying when she ordered him to. And she was pleased with that. When she deemed he had given all he had to give and then some, she called a halt. "We can call it for today." Half expecting him to collapse again, she was curious whether he actually would.

The woman who entered was not a ranger, and it took a heartbeat for Arnyn to place her. "Aggie," she said in mild surprise. "That's quite alright. Non-rangers sometimes have business here." Delivering messages and what not. And it sounded like Aggie was here to do the same. When Arnyn heard Duinion would not be available for duty for an indefinite amount of time, Arnyn wasn't sure how to react right away. Why was he sending Aggie up here to tell her that?

"Is he alright?" she asked, the first thought on her mind being that something had happened to him that was preventing him to make the actual trip. The second thing that occurred to her was almost equally disturbing. Was this her fault? Had he been so peeved with her approval of and participation in (and possibly even provocation of) the foodfight, that he had not only fled the scene yesterday, but had also decided to take a break from the unit altogether? Was she able to do anything right by that man?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
about an hour past dawn

He tried very hard to get the moves right, and to perform them as well as he could. He really did. Though the day had barely begun, Trastion felt absolutely worn out by the time Arnyn finally said that they could call it quits for the day. He let out a little sigh of relief as the point of his sword dropped to rest on the ground, because his arm was too tired and sore to hold it up anymore. His arms were actually trembling slightly from all the intense work he had pushed them to do.

This training was definitely way more intense than he had anticipated, and he almost regretted asking to learn Arnyn's style. Almost. But not quite. Somewhere in the back of his weary mind, Trastion tried to hang onto some optimistic thought that this would eventually pay off, and then he'd be really, really good at this. He had no idea how far off that 'someday' might be, of course, because right now he really just wanted to collapse on the ground and never move again. Ever.

But he didn't, partly because he didn't want to have to get back up again later, but also because it sort of seemed to him that Arnyn was in a stern and unsympathetic mood at the moment, and he didn't want her to reproach him about anything else. Also, as an afterthought, he decided he didn't want anyone else to see that, and think he couldn't handle the training. It was past dawn by now and he figured there must be some people out and about by now. "Rest, now?" He wondered, sort of hopeful. And water. He was very thirsty by now.

@Arnyn

Headquarters office
Morning of Sept 3rd

Aggie hesitated. "Well, he's.. I wouldn't say 'fine', I mean, he isn't hurt, but..." She fidgeted slightly, thinking the message he'd asked her to give seemed awfully vague. After a moment, she decided the lieutenant ought to know the reason why. Perhaps he had meant for her to explain the situation, or perhaps not. She knew Duinion wasn't the lieutenant's biggest admirer, but surely, he wouldn't purposely keep something like this from her? Aggie decided that he'd just been in such a state of worry, and such a hurry to get out there searching, that he just wasn't thinking of everything.

"Something's happened... I'm afraid Eryn might be in some sort of danger." The words spilled out after a moment as she lost the inner battle to maintain a composed appearance. She was just too worried, and the rest came rushing out before she could think. "She's missing... and I don't know what to think... Dui and Kaylin rushed off to go look for her, and.. he was in such a state.. almost panicked I guess, and I can hardly blame him for that; I'm worried sick, and I don't even know whatever it is he seemed to know." She admitted. "He wanted me to let Unalmis know she's missing, but not tell him about the picture, and I don't have a clue what it all means." She drew in a shaky breath, wringing her hands as she spoke. "I'm not sure what to do."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

She had literally told him he might regret it. At first. But she hoped he would keep his eye on the prize. This was only the first of their 'renewed' sessions. "Rest," she agreed, her tone warming up a little. "Rest and water. You can stay here to rest as long as you like, before you go about the rest of your day. As far as the rest of your schedule allows."

Arnyn retrieved her scabbard from the side and sheathed her sword. "Where outside of the city are you camping?" she inquired. "I might come join you for your morning run up the circles sometime."

It was good to hear that the Tirdinen wasn't hurt, but the actual reason for Duinion's unavailability caught Arnyn entirely off guard. His daughter might be in danger? Mentally, she winced. If she'd learned anything about parents, it was that they would do anything and everything for their children. Supposedly, it was a kind of love you never knew if you never had any of your own.

The Lieutenant looked at Aggie with growing concern as the words spilled from her lips all of a sudden. Wait, was Eryn in danger or was she missing? If she had only been gone for a few hours, it might not be dangerous at all. But then why speak of danger? Was Duinion so overly concerned? That didn't seem right. At the mention of 'Dui and Kaylin', Arnyn swallowed. That was promising. A concerned and - according to Aggie - 'almost panicking' father, combined with Kaylin? That did not seem like the best combination. Especially not because Kaylin and Eryn were good friends. Both Duinion and Kaylin were likely to get impulsive and... perhaps even careless... since this was a personal matter.

Aggie saying that she was worried sick, drew Arnyn's attention back to the woman in front of her. She did look a bit pale. And the way she was speaking, the way she was wringing her hands, that shaky breath... Arnyn walked up to Aggie's side, positioning herself next to her, and gently put an arm around the shorter woman's shoulders. "This is a difficult situation. It must be overwhelming. Eryn means so much to you, too." She guided Aggie along with gentle pressure. "Please, sit a moment, Aggie. I need to know a little more, and then maybe we can both wrap our minds around this a bit better. Is that alright? Would you like some water? Some coffee?"

"And could you take me back a bit? How long has she been missing, and why do you think she might be in danger?" She bit her lip not to ask about the picture just yet. They needed to start at the beginning. And depending on how Aggie's mind worked, she might come to that on her own.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion Leithor
September 8th
about an hour past dawn

Retrieving his scabbard was a bit tricky, and he winced with every move he had to make, especially involving his arms. But he managed to get the sword in there, and slowly took a drink from his canteen. The water was good and refreshing but lifting the weight of it was not too welcome by his muscles.

Trastion nodded, glad to hear he could rest until whatever he had to do next. When Arnyn asked about his camp, he hesitated at trying to think how to explain it. "In the training grounds' woods.. umm. The same place I usually go when I'm training with Duinion." He answered, unsure if she'd know where that was. "First place I could think of that I knew would be a good spot," He explained. He hadn't really had much chance to pick anywhere else, since it had already been dark by the time he set out to find a place.

@Arnyn

Headquarters office
Morning of Sept 3rd

Trying to take a deep breath, Aggie let Arnyn nudge her into a chair. The Lieutenant was right; not only was it rather overwhelming, but Eryn definitely meant a lot to her. Ever since Eryn’s mother had died, Aggie had tried to be the next best thing. In fact, she was worried about Duinion as well as Eryn. She had no idea what it would do to him if he were to lose his daughter as well, but she didn't want to let her thoughts go down that road.

"Oh.. uh, yes. Thank you... some water, please." She answered Arnyn's question, albeit a bit distractedly. She nodded slightly as Arnyn asked her to backtrack a little and explain. Taking a slightly shaky breath, Aggie tried to think where to begin. She realized she needed to try to stay calm and explain this as well as she could, and made an effort to do that.

"Yesterday, after Duinion and Unalmis and Domanol left to come here," She hesitated. "Or at least, the first two? I'm not sure.. anyway, Eryn took Hattie and went out for a ride. Nothing unusual, she does that all the time. And she said she'd be back in time to help me with the milking at nightfall." She took a sip of the water that she had received by this time, and looked at Arnyn. "She never came home, and we started worrying, because that's not like her at all, and.." She drew a deep breath, trying to calm herself again. "So, my husband went looking for her, and while he was gone, her horse returned.. but.." She fought back tears. "No sign of Eryn.. or Hattie. But there was this.. this note tied onto Buttercup's bridle.. as if someone wanted to make sure it didn't fall off." She had the note still in her apron pocket, but didn't think of offering it to Arnyn to actually look at. Feeling too upset to think properly, she decided to get another sip of water, as if that might help to soothe her worry. It didn't.

"I have no idea what it means, but Duinion seemed to think it meant something, when he saw it. He asked me to take messages to a few people and then he set off like he thought Eryn’s life depended on him..." She bit her lip, worried. Maybe it did? It was a troubling thought. "Kaylin was there when I found Dui, and she decided to go along.. I'm glad for that, at least, so he isn't alone, but..I don't know why he didn't want Unalmis or Domanol to know about the note.. and..and he told me to take Daevion with me up here to the sixth, and stay safe.. as if it might not be safe at home.. but Cailon and the kids are there, and.." She suddenly began to wonder what Duinion wanted to keep them safe from. "What's going on?" She asked in a somewhat frightened whisper, looking at Arnyn with great worry.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn @Pele Alarion
Karis Ziranphel
Headquarters - Secured Cell
Beginning of August

Ziran had decided to maintain her position and demeanor after Shamara finally began to speak. Initially it was in encouragement of her response and partial disbelief that she would continue to question why it would be beneficial to share information. It was redundant to continue replying with the same information, so she was silent and merely looked at Shamara as she processed what to ask. Arnyn obviously had different questions and jumped in with those, all relating to the situation in Umbar. Ziran found them interesting, but not as pressing as the possibility of hostile agents in Gondor, so merely listened as Arnyn pursued that line of questioning. It was good that Shamara was willing to share, and she didn’t want to interrupt the flow of words.

Some of the information revealed gave her pause, but she didn’t allow it to show past the quietly stern lines of her face. Much had remained the same and much had changed in the many years since Ziran had herself been in Umbar against her will, and the names shared were unfamiliar to her. Apparently something to be thankful for once it became clear what activities the named individuals took pleasure in. Torture. The implication had dark memories tug at her mind, but she blinked them away even as Arnyn looked to her before continuing her questioning on the Halsads and this Keket. Arnyn seemed to already know some of what to expect, and Ziran looked at her briefly before settling her assessing gaze on Shamara once more.

Ziran saw the shift into withdrawal in Shamara’s body language when details of Umbar were mentioned as necessary after Arnyn herself moved away to lean against the stone wall. Her eyes flicked between the two, and a slight furrow appeared between her brows as she waited a beat and then leaned forward slowly. The questions had seemed matter-of-fact from Arnyn, but had obviously spooked Shamara, as the woman mentioned the likelihood of planning any type of move against those targets as being ambitious.

Clearing her throat slightly, Ziran tried to draw the Umbarian back into a frame where she would be willing to respond. It didn’t matter that she herself knew of no such attack at this point. Information was information. “Such things are theoretical at this time. We have some of that information from other sources as well, so you need not worry about being our sole source of information. Long ago I was there myself, but some details change, and I no longer know more than the maps say. It would be helpful if you would be willing to say which ways would be less dangerous than others for example.” She paused. “But you can think on that a while. I would like to know if there are any other agents of Umbar or of these Halsads that you know of in Gondor. It would help your position if their effectiveness could be neutralized.”
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

After giving Aggie some water, Arnyn took a seat in the chair next to her and listened carefully. So Eryn had left the day before, in the early afternoon. And did not return, despite her promise to be back in the evening. Not something the family is used to. Eryn... what was she? Fifteen? Sixteen? A difficult age. A worrisome age. Especially for girls.

That the horse came back alone... Arnyn could definitely see how that would be bad. But the horse carried a note? She straightened slightly at that. A note that meant nothing to Aggie but definitely had told Duinion something. Father-daughter code, perhaps? But whatever it said, it had made him panic. And he hadn't wanted Unalmis or the northern ranger to know about it. Hmm. Peculiar. Wasn't Domanal Duinion's best friend? And Duinion and Unalmis were fast friends too, right? What could this be about?

If Duinion was so concerned... first things first. "Duinion wanted you to stay here on the Sixth? Do you know anyone who lives here, where you and.. Daevion..." she repeated, thinking she got the name right even though she didn't recognize it, "... can stay? And where Duinion can find you?"

"What was on the note?" she asked gently. Aggie pulled a piece of paper from her pocket and handed it over. Unfolding the note, A rnyn looked down at it. A drawing? A drawing of a... A chill ran down her spine, but Arnyn made sure to keep a straight face. For Aggie. Aggie did not need any kind of response that would spook her any further.

And Duinion and Kaylin... The chill continued its way down her spine. Relentlessly. Mercilessly. Mentally, she shook her head. And then she forced herself to shut out her emotions - to focus on reason. As much as she could.

No wonder Duinion had not wanted to share this with Unalmis. Domanol made sense too, even with what little she knew about his involvement. The Burned Man... "If he didn't want Unalmis or Domanol to know, I am sure he had his reasons," Arnyn reassured Aggie. Probably to keep them from running off and doing something dangerous. Just like Duinion was doing... with Kaylin in tow. Manwë's breath. In any different situation, she would trust Duinion to keep his head square on his shoulders. But this was about his daughter.

"If I'm not prying... what messages did he ask to deliver to whom?" So Unalmis would know about Eryn being missing but not about.. the note. And the same for his uncle, probably. But what else? "I am asking because I need to know what I should still cover from my end," she explained, her tone and cadence calm.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength