Rangers: Headquarters & Armoury

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
Armoury
Early August

The story was so good that it dwarfed her uncertainty about Berthion and Dawion for a while there. The hint of a smile grew and grew, until Kaylin was grinning. Racing carts down the main streets of the city. It was, in a way, genius. Wasn't it? Oh, the things she might have done had she grown up here! A city with sloping streets. It begged for racing on anything and everything with wheels. Stopping... yes, that seemed like a problem. She frowned at that part, tryin gto think her way out. There was probably no real way to steer the cart, either? At some point then, they'd inevitably crash into something.

The way Cali described them closing in on the guards and the gate between the Second and First Circles, had Kaylin hanging from her every word. When the reveal came that the guards simply decided to open the gate and let them pass, Kaylin slapped her thigh, her laugh booming through the armoury. "HAHA! What!? They just let you roll on through!" It seemed ludicrous, but the longer she thought on it, it was probably the wisest course of action those guards could have taken.

"Then what? How did you lot stop? Or rather, what didyou end up crashing into?' She chuckled.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Smith Cali Dringolben
Armoury
Early August

Cali laughed lightly at Kaylin's surprise to hear the guards let them through. "Well, those guards knew us by sight. Nal and Trev both lived on the first circle, and Ryn and I on the second, so we were all going in and out of that gate all the time, every day. They knew we all knew the passwords and everything, so, I guess they figured it'd be better than letting us crash into them. Someone could've been hurt." She smiled faintly. "I think they had a name for our little group... the fearsome five, or something like that." She grinned, slightly sheepishly, but also amused. "Unfortunately, they also let the other guards through, so they kept chasing us."

She paused, thinking a moment, then backed up a little bit. "So, these carts.. they had brakes... We just didn't realize it." She explained with a light blush. "And the boys were expecting us all to stop when we got to the bottom of the second circle, you know. Before we got to the gate. So, that's what they did... and probably what they did on their first race down. But this time, they watched in amazement as we kept going." She grinned a little, remembering the looks on their faces as they watched the girls zoom through the gates with guards chasing after.

"So, on we went, through the gate, and into the first circle. The steering was.. not very great. Like, the front wheels would pivot, but this cart was meant to be pulled behind someone holding the handle, you know? So, I was focusing so hard on steering to avoid any.. obstacles, I didn't have a chance to look around or anything. And then.. up ahead, I saw that we were getting close to this spot where the street used to be all rough and full of holes. It's been fixed now, but it used to be really bad. So, I started panicking a bit. Because I knew, at the speed we were going, if we hit even one of those holes, the cart would probably flip or something and we might get hurt really bad. And there was no way I could steer around all of those holes. I had no idea what to do."

She paused to take a drink, just long enough to have a 'dramatic pause'. "Right about that time, Iole discovered the brake lever right next to her. And thankfully, she had the sense to pull that lever." She laughed. "We slowed drastically almost immediately, and by the time we came to a stop, the front wheels were about two inches from hitting the first hole." She sat back on her stool, smiling slightly. "We were rather shaken... and hugged each other like we'd just had a brush with death. Then we fled the scene before the guards caught up to us, abandoning the poor cart. I never did find out who it belonged to..." She laughed. "By the time we reunited with the boys, we were totally pretending like we'd meant to do that all along." She grinned. "So, anyway... Guess who won the race?" She added, with maybe a hint of smugness.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
Armoury
Early August

"Hahaha, amazing! And this at only eight years old, was it?" Kaylin leaned forward, grinning. "You must be a complete menace by now!" Her eyes were twinkling, knowing full well how people tended to lose their knack for shenanigans as they grew up, rather than hold onto them. Let alone to increase their proclivity toward all things silly and borderline dangerous or... unlawlful. And while that was probably a good thing when considering the bigger picture, it was still a shame that people also often lost a lot of their ability to just have fun.

"The girls!" she cheered in response to Cali's question. "As if there was ever any doubt." She clapped her hands together. "That story indeed proves that you are capable of handling a challenge. I'm feeling very good about this new weapon-thing," Kaylin concluded happily. "So. Forget about the knives for now. I'll get those elsewhere. You focus on that," she said, pointing at the sketch. "Well, I mean, apart from all your other work, of course." She understood full well it wouldn't be the only thing on Cali's plate.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Smith Cali Dringolben
Armoury
Early August

Cali laughed. "I think me, Ryn and Iole were ten.. which would put Nal being nine, and Trev eight. I remember his little brother was too young to have tagged along as he often did, so he must've been about two then." She shrugged, but smiled. "Yes, the girls indeed." She confirmed with a pleased smile. "We got dad's cart back to him before he found out about anything... although, it was inevitable that our parents would eventually learn of our shenanigans, because the guards knew who we were and all. But I managed to soothe them with.. an artfully worded story that explained things in such a way that we only got a severe scolding, as compared to being grounded for months or something horrible like that." She laughed, then paused to consider the 'you must be a menace by now' comment.

A faint smile followed a moment later. "Yeah, well.. Clearly that wolf woman didn't know what she was up against, huh?" She shrugged, not trying to boast about anything she'd done that day, but couldn't resist a slight joke, after Kaylin's comment just now. "I'm kidding, of course. Arnyn did most of that." She added, just in case there was any question about her thinking she had done more than she had. "To be honest, I really haven't done much of that sort, in the past few years," She admitted afterward. "But... lately I have been feeling more like myself, so... who knows." She smiled vaguely.

She was mildly surprised then, when Kaylin declared that she would get the knives elsewhere, and just wanted the unnamed weapon thing. And slightly disappointed, despite the other part. "Are you sure?" She asked, tilting her head. "I could do both. I still have a few constructional type things to figure out on this thing, so I could be working on the knives in the meanwhile." She mentioned. "As you said, there are some smith who wouldn't even bother to try that."
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
Armoury
Early August

"Clearly," Kaylin agreed when Cali brought up Relic. She still thought that Relic had been given too much mercy - too much time to live, while she was in Minas Tirith. But she knew it was a sore subject on many levels for plenty of people - and had only discussed it at length with Thûllir. And even that had been difficult, in a way. Thankfully he seemed to give her a boundless amount of understanding and leniency. When Cali said Arnyn had done most of it, Kaylin shrugged. "I think the Lieutenant is likely to be one of the first to say that it was a joint effort. Assists are crucial to the final blow, aren't they?"

Was she sure about procuring the knives elsewhere? "Well, no, I'm not sure," she responded easily, simply speaking her thoughts out loud instead of filtering them. "It'd be much easier to get them from you. I just have my priorities in order. Get a few more knives quick - of which I still have a number anyway - or get my hands on a new and cool weapon? I mean. That's an easy choice," she explained with a shrug. "But if you are saying it would not speed the other thing up, then yeah - I'll gladly have you make them."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Smith Cali Dringolben
Armoury
Early August

Shrugging slightly, Cali didn't argue about the matter. "Well, I suppose so. It all turned out well enough, at least. Not as well as it might have, but... better than it also might have." She almost wished she hadn't brought that matter up, as she realized it was likely to bring the mood down. For her, at least. She couldn't speak for Kaylin, of course, but she was not enthused to think about those poor murdered guys, nor the other destruction that had been caused that day. Still, some good had come of it, she felt. So there was that.

Preferring to talk about her work, she flipped to the blank page she had been looking for when Kaylin had her back up. "Alright." She smiled, somewhat pleased to hear that she would still get the knives here. "So, four, you said?" She took a moment to sketch out the outline and other features of the knife, then jotted down the dimensions and any other notes that would be useful later.

"The.. unnamed thing will likely take a bit longer, as I'll have to experiment to find out the best way of constructing it. It's not anything I've ever made before, you know?" She mentioned. "But I should be able to have the knives done before too long." She smiled slightly. "It'll be nice to have a chance to make new things from scratch, rather than just fixing old things that broke." She was actually rather excited about both projects, even if it was harder to get around at the moment, and had to rest more frequently due to her leg injury.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
Armoury
Early August

"However long it takes," she shrugged. "Before I saw that drawing, I had no idea how badly I wanted it, after all." She laughed briefly at herself. "It may not be something you've made before, but it's also not something I've ever seen before. And I've seen a lot of weapons," she assured the smithy. "Needing time to figure it out..." She shook her head. "Seems more than reasonable."

When Cali indicated she was glad to be able to make something new rather than repairing items, Kaylin grinned. "Glad I could help." She had no trouble at all with taking the credit for giving Cali work that was 'more fun'. "If you need any assistance with either projects," she shrugged; "and I might be of some help, let me know. You know, I'm always game in case you need someone to help you..." She mimicked hitting something with an imaginary hammer in her hand. "...pound stuff."

The redhead slipped her small knife back into a pocket. "So, um." Her right hand fidgeted a bit with the ring on her left hand. "I'm not really sure if I should even bring it up, but... It might be all the more awkward if I don't and then later it turns out that..." She sighed, abandoning the sentence, not really knowing how to finish it. "I served with a Berthion, back when I was in the army." Her blue-grey eyes tentatively looked at Cali's, trying to see whether the smithy's response would already tell her enough.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Smith Cali Dringolben
Armoury
Early August

Cali was a bit surprised by the offer to help.. although it sounded a bit more like Kaylin was asking if she could help 'pound things'. She laughed lightly at how she worded it. "Well, I'll keep that in mind." She smiled a little. "Or if you ever just want to 'pound things' I'm sure I could help you out." She added with a knowing grin. Indeed, Cali knew how frustrations could be, and how good it could feel to just hit things. Even better when that resulted in something useful. "Sometimes I can use someone to attack armor, to see how it holds up. I've asked Mourgan to help with that in the past, but..." She shrugged, leaving the rest unspoken.

Her smile shifted into a curious expression as Kaylin seemed to hesitate about something, and she said, 'maybe I shouldn't bring it up'. What could that be, Cali wondered? She was somewhat puzzled, until the redhead finally revealed what was on her mind. Berthion. In the army. Oh. Cali was still for a few seconds, somewhat unsure how to respond at first. But slowly, she nodded. "He..my brother, was in the army," She added quietly, confirming what Kaylin must be asking. "As was my oldest brother, Dawion."

She looked down at her drawing pad and let out a small sigh. "They both died in some skirmish, a few years ago. Orcs, I think, or something like that." She fought the urge to take a drink of her water, but instead swallowed back a lump in her throat. "That part isn't.. what I want to remember, though." She said quietly, and glanced up again. "I miss my brothers very much... all three of them. But I've made up my mind that I'm going to remember the good times that we had, and not let the grief of loss drag me down into sorrow and despair again. They wouldn't want that, you know?" She fought to keep a tiny smile on her face.

"You were friends with Berthion?" She guessed, a little sadness showing in her eyes despite a faint smile on her lips. "He was.. always telling jokes or pulling pranks, being silly.. and always making friends. So, if you knew him, I can only assume you would've been friends with him. I'm sure he would've thought of you as a friend." She smiled softly, judging from the short while that she had been talking with Kaylin. She could imagine her and Ber hitting it off quite well as friends. "He'd be around the same age I think you are, too, if.." She paused, taking a deep breath. "I hope my mentioning Berthion didn't upset you, earlier. I didn't know that you knew him." She apologized, feeling a little bad about it now. "He made a lot of friends in the army.. I probably heard about you at some point if you spent much time with him, but I didn't realize.. you know?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain of Tower

Karis Ziranphel
Headquarters - Secured Cell
Beginning of August

Ziran had waited a couple days after the debrief before resolving to broach the subject of Relic with Shamara and see if it made any difference in her usual responses of deflection or silence. Almost four weeks had passed since their first interview after Shamara’s arrest. Yet it did not compare with the length of time the woman had previously spent incarcerated, and it didn’t seem to faze her. The wait gave Ziran time to reflect a little on the discussions before the climactic fight and fire, as well as revelations at the debriefing and consider her approach. Casual? Hard-nosed and demanding?

She took a last glance at the afternoon sunlight streaming through the window and continued to consider as she passed through the hidden door off of the office space with a covered tray in her hands. Her face didn’t show her thoughts as she strode down the dim hallway and quickly descended the steps carved into the rock, the faint scuff of her boots the only sound. Lieutenant Arnyn had expressed interest in being present, but the door had been locked, and she hadn’t encountered her in the office. Perhaps she would join them shortly.

Light stabbed through a long and narrow slit in the wall, illuminating the space and touching the bars of the cell with gold. “Shamara.” Her voice was matter-of-fact in its greeting. “Lunch is served.”
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
Armoury
Early August

"Oh, I am sure Mourgan does a bang up job," Kaylin grinned. "I couldn't throw quite the same force at it. But ifyou ever want someone else to give it a go - Thûllir and I don't live in the barracks proper but down the lane. Our names are on the gate."

Kaylin's expression sort of mirrored Cali's as she listened to the smith. She nodded when the woman asked if she had been friends with Berthion. "Yes, I was. We had some good times." Kaylin's faint smile grew then. "I'm not sure if I should say Berthion and I spent a lot of time together, but definitely enough time to become friends and make memories for life.Actually, we probably weren't the best influence on each other. When you put too much silly together..." She grinned. "But yes. I even met Dawion a few times," Kaylin admitted.

When Cali said she hoped mentioning Berthion hadn't upset her, Kaylin shook her head slowly. "Not really. It still feels like a loss, but he... well I've hadmore than one friend-in-arms dying before or during the war. You find a way to cope." Eying Cali carefully, Kaylin knew that the smith must have done the same. Losing not just one, but two brothers...
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Shamara
Beginning of August

Shamara had carefully counted the days spent in this dungeon, and it seemed to her that even though the stay was shorter it was rather more boring. There were no other prisoners nearby she could converse with, and while these Rangers spoke to her now and then and were not as silent as the guards in the city dungeons, it was still tedious. Besides, she had not managed to find out what her fate was to be and how long they intended to keep her here.

So the Umbarian had been sitting on her mat and drawing circles in the dust on the floor with her fingers to pass the time when she heard the approaching footsteps. Getting up, she took the couple steps to reach the bars that shut her off from the rest of the living world.

"Ah, food," she said quietly and looked at Ziran with a shy and submissive look. "Thank you." While the food here could not be described as luxurious, it was a notch better than what she had received previously, and far better than anything Umbar offered its prisoners - if anything at all. And Shamara did not intend to annoy her captors to the point where they decided to starve her to death.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Smith Cali Dringolben
Armoury
Early August

Cali smiled at Kaylin's offer to 'give it a go', and proceeded to tell Cali how to find her. "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." She grinned. "As well as when I need someone to hit stuff." She added, a bit amused. In fact, she sometimes had a little trouble when it came to having to strike hard with her hammer, since having her arm broken so badly. She had not actually done any new crafting since the incident last autumn, and wasn't sure how easy it might be to work with a fresh ingot of metal, for instance. She thought about that for a moment, but her attention was soon more focused on the other topic.

Her brother. She nodded slightly, looking down. "The losses are always.. there." She agreed. "Some are felt more than others, but..." She trailed off, shaking her head slightly and went quiet for a moment as she could think of nothing else to say at the moment. Instead, she listened to Kaylin talking, and gave a small smile at the mention that the two were probably not good influences on each other. "I can quite believe that," She agreed quietly. "I'm glad to meet a friend of his. Theirs," She amended, reminding herself that Kaylin had also mentioned Dawion. "And I'm sure they would be pleased to know you're still enjoying fun and mischief," She added, with a little smile.

After a little hesitation, she mentioned, "Sometimes, I like to imagine what they'd be thinking, or what they might say, if they could see me now." She mentioned, glancing up again. "There were.. some people.." she left out that it was her own father, "who said that smith-work was not for girls, and that no one would want to buy anything made by a woman. That we females didn't have the strength required to work the metal properly.. things like that." She sighed and rolled her eyes, then smiled. "I like to think I'm proving those people wrong. I think.. and hope.. that my brothers would be proud of me. My father, too.." She smiled sadly. "I learned much of what I know about this from them, after all."

Captain of Tower

Karis Ziranphel
Beginning of August

She didn’t trust that look, but gave a short nod of acknowledgement at the thanks as she pulled off the cloth covering to reveal dark bread and a simple stew, and then handed the tray through so that Shamara could take it. Although she had a key, she wasn’t about to enter the woman’s cell without another person there, as she didn’t want to risk any escape attempt. So far the woman had been deceptively meek in manner, but there was a streak of something that must have led her down paths of ill action.

Ziran’s dark brown eyes were steady and assessing, but she let her face relax slightly to show a lack of concern as she stepped back to casually catch the stool that leaned against the wall with her foot and hitch it forward to take a seat. In days past she had been consistently calm and correct, but this time she allowed herself a slightly more relaxed posture as she leaned back to watch Shamara through the bars that filled the opening. She would stay silent for now and give the woman time to eat. Often, those starved for company would start talking on their own. She wasn’t sure if Shamara had hit that point yet or not, but she knew the art of patience well.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
Armoury
Early August

"The day I stop enjoying fun and mischief, I need a good punch to the jaw and an intervention," Kaylin said so soberly it became humorous.

She rounded the table to put a hand on Cali's arm, then. "I think they are," she said after Cali commented she hoped her brothers and father would be proud of her. "Or they should be. Smith or not - you are succeeding in life, aren't you? You have an esteemed job that pays well. You can handle yourself in a crisis. You seem like a good person, as far as I can tell. You have friends so you're not alone." She was a bit more careful to mention loved ones, given that Cali had clearly lost many.

Kaylin shrugged and waved in the air. "Sometimes men are threatened when a woman tries her hand at something more typically male. I think it's because it's impossible for them to do some things that are more typically female." A grin grew on her face as the sentence went on. Not all things of course. And women could not do everything men could either. She was very aware of that, in both directions, but she enjoyed poking fun at the male ego from time to time. "Well... it's been good talking to you, Cali." The unexpected pleasure of maybe getting a unique and interesting new weapon out of it, was a great bonus as well. "But I should go..." She rolled her eyes. "Duties, and all. But I'm glad you're smithing for us," she stated, starting off toward the exit slowly. "See you around." Kaylin threw her a smile, over her shoulder. Then she laughed. "And if you ever feel like getting into another cart race with your friends... I wouldn't object to being involved."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Shamara, the Prisoner
Beginning of August

@Karis Ziranphel

Shamara took the food and settled down with it near the bars. She ate for a while, slowly and with seeming relish - while the food served here was simple, yet she found it nourishing, and she had not gone really hungry as far as she could remember being locked up. The Gondorians were too good towards their prisoners, she thought. And yet...

The woman glanced at Ziran now and then curiously, though her gaze never stayed too long and she turned back to food soon after. The same few people kept bringing her food, and she had tried to figure them out to pass the time, learning a few things here and there. And yet she had not understood why they simply kept her here; they did not really punish her, they did not try to pry information from her, not by means she was used to, they did not try to break her. While this was not the worst experience in her life, all the time spent locked up began to wear Shamara down, and she wondered if they would just continue on keeping her here until she died of old age.

"Hey," she finally began tentatively to see if she could get at least some small talk started as she turned to face Ziran fully, bowl still in hand. "What news of the outside world? Anything interesting?"

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Smith Cali Dringolben
Armoury
Early August

Cali laughed slightly with amusement as Kaylin joked about a punch and intervention if she ever lost interest in fun and mischief. She was actually a bit surprised that none of her friends did any sort of 'intervention' with her when she withdrew from everything. But that had been a different sort of situation, she supposed. And they had tried to draw her back into things, various times. "I'm sure that'll never happen," She assured Kaylin with a smile. She suspected that Kaylin also had plenty of friends to help her out if something of the sort ever did happen.

She smiled at Kaylin when she came around to put a hand on her arm. "Thanks." She said softly, appreciating her words, then laughed faintly at the other part. "Well, I'm just glad that my closest friends didn't agree with that opinion." She had been a little nervous about revealing her secret to them, but their reactions had been quite reassuring when she finally did tell them, and that had made it easier to begin this job. The fact that Nal had recommended her to a few people made her feel all the more welcomed as a smith.

Soon enough, Kaylin declared she had to leave, and that reminded Cali she had things to do as well. "Yes, it was nice talking to you too," She agreed. "I'll get started on the knives and let you know when I have them ready. Or, feel free to stop in anytime. Especially if you need to hit things." She added teasingly. "I'll find some way to put you to use," She grinned, then smiled in gratitude for the comment that she was glad Cali was smithing for them. That in particular meant a lot. "Thanks." She nodded to Kaylin as she started toward the door. "See you around."

Kaylin's next words brought a laugh. "I'll be sure to invite you next time," She promised, thinking it might be sort of fun if they actually arranged some sort of race like that for the rangers. Although, maybe not in the city... maybe she'd suggest something if the sort, the next time she saw Arnyn or Pele. A fun sort of event to help folks relax after all the tension, maybe. If they couldn't set up anything official, there was always unofficial like she and Nal and the others had managed in their childhood. The ideas were turning in her mind already. "Bye, Kaylin." She called after her, already moving to get a fresh ingot to start working on those knives.

Child of Gondor
Headquarters
Office of Captain Alarion
Late August
@Pele Alarion

To the office the mail carrier brought the rolled parchment with the crimson ribbon. He had no idea what it was about that wasn’t his job. His job was to deliver any missives that might come across his desk and this one was addressed to the Captain.

His boots made a definite click as he walked down the stone hall to the familiar office. He stopped and raised a closed hand to knock on the door. Knock, knock. Two raps on the door and he waited for a response before entering.
The door was slightly open. “Excuse me Sir, mail for you.” He would wait to deliver it..
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Headquarters, Command Office
Late August

@Isolde Alarion

There were enough things to be done, and she should be working, yet Pele found herself sitting at the desk and staring at the map before her while her mind was roaming elsewhere. Hearing a knock at the door, she did not react immediately as if she had to return from wherever her mind had roamed first.

"Yes!" she finally responded, standing up and rolling her shoulders a few times to get herself into some sort of readiness to meet people.

"Mail? Something urgent or not so much? Do you know?" she tried to extract some preliminary information from the messenger, while reaching out for the letter.

Child of Gondor
Mail carrier
Late August
@Pele Alarion
Hearing a reply the carrier stepped into the office to see the Captain standing. As he neared he handed her the parchment but not before snapping off a quick salute.

When asked if it was urgent or not or if he knew he gave her a puzzled look. “Sir, I don’t know.” Should he have looked? He normally wouldn’t look, he was just instructed to deliver mail, not read it.

He waited for her to read the parchment in case she needed to pen a response that needed delivered.

The parchment read as follows, the words written in a flowing script.

Captain Pele Alarion,

I must first congratulate you on your glorious victory against the most evil Relic. Let me assure you the world as we know it shall be better without her. I know mine is.

I have recently acquired the vacated position of Master Slaver and feel I have you and your skilled Rangers to thank for such a promotion. I know in the past Relic had fixated her mind on your destruction but rest assured I have no such impulses. I am a simple trader and wish only to conduct business as needed.

To show you my sincerity I’ve sent a gift. A show of goodwill between us perhaps. Unfortunately I can not bring it myself but I’ve instructed my men to deliver it to a certain point where you will have the directions to pick it up.
I do encourage you to hurry. It is perishable.

You will find this gift at the abandoned mill near the village of Hinst. Not too far I hope. A days ride perhaps.

With best regards,

Dahak
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Late August

@Isolde Alarion

Pele gave the scroll and the ribbon a thorough visual inspection before even delving into the contents and then looked up to see that look on the man's face.

"Well, suppose it is not urgent then, else there would be some sort of a notice stating so," she said, a small twinkle of amusement appearing in her blue eyes. "Let's see then..."

Untying the ribbon, Pele took to reading the message right where she stood. As her eyes ran through the text, she did her best to maintain a calm and unreadable exterior. Umbar. She wanted nothing to do with Umbar. Ever again. The storm of emotions did not permit her to understand the words, so she took a moment to sit down and retrieve a parchment and writing utensils though she was not sure she would send a reply. But at least it gave her time to settle a little, and reread the message once again with more presence of understanding. Another Master Slaver; not after her; sending a perishable gift?

"Mmmm..." she murmured, tapping the end of the quill against her nose thoughtfully. Would there even be a gift? Perhaps it was only a means to trap her yet again. But she had learned her lesson and would not deal with such matters without proper backup and consultation.

"Esteemed Dahak," she began the letter, and then rolled eyes at using such terminology to refer to anyone from Umbar; however, she felt that the letter required a certain amount of decorum in reply, and she could not just resort to sending back a scribbled combination of the worst swear words she could think of.

"I see the word has travelled far and fast.

As it stands, I would indeed prefer for each of us to mind our own business, on condition that you do not encroach beyond the boundaries of my responsibility. It might also depend on the gift, when I find it

Sincerely,

Cpt. Pele Alarion."

It was not much of a reply, but it was difficult for Pele to come up with something on the spot - besides, she still had to figure out the truthfulness of his intentions and find that gift whatever it was. Any further actions would surely depend on the findings.

"I'll give you a reply, make sure that it gets sent away," she said to the mail carrier. Once she was sure the ink was dry, she secured it with a piece of a ribbon she found in the drawer, and then stood to hand it to the man.

Meanwhile she was already considering how many people she would need with her, just in case it is some ambush.

Child of Gondor
Mail carrier
Headquarters Command Office
Late August
@Pele Alarion

The carrier discreetly watched the response of the Captain as she first read the parchment. He wasn’t nosy but it was interesting to watch. He quickly averted his gaze when she moved to pen a response.He stared out the window at a branch.

When she spoke he turned to face her and after she made sure the ink was dry he took it from her offered hand. “Yes Captain.” He snapped off a salute and once more turned on his heel and stepped out the door. The parchment securely and swiftly on its way.

Captain of Tower

Karis Ziranphel
Beginning of August

“Interesting news?...I suppose there is when it comes down to it.” Ziran traced a circle on her knee and then brushed away invisible dust before bringing her gaze back up to Shamara to study her. She had remained silent and calm as the woman ate, not displaying any jittery habits or signs of impatience. It had struck her that while she had interviewed or interrogated both women and men, her most astoundingly successful encounters had been a mix of luck and men who had a deeply ingrained sense of honor. Shamara did not appear to have the same, and she couldn’t depend on luck.

She sniffed lightly and then settled her feet flat on the floor once more. “Did you happen to smell smoke a few days ago? There was a bad fire in the barracks that took out an entire floor in the women’s wing. It was contained successfully before it could spread, but it might have gone badly if the whole complex had caught.” Her gaze had fallen to the stone flags as she spoke, but Ziran lifted her eyes back to Shamara and tilted her head slightly in question.

High Warden of Tower
Shamara
Headquarters, Secured Cell
Beginning of August

"Is there?" Shamara murmured and took to finishing off the remaining food to hide her surprise; she had not hoped to receive any answer since the Rangers who brought her food did not care to speak to her much. It felt good to have some interaction and conversation even if it was only a random piece of city news - she had already given up any attempts to procure her release by trying to work her charms and subtle persuasion skills on any of these Rangers.

Further answer made the Umbarian look at Ziran intently, her lips slightly parted as she took in the news, its significance to her, and wondered why on earth it was even shared with her.

"Indeed, now that I think of it, though the smell of smoke was so faint that I did not really think much of it," Shamara admitted while returning the emptied dishes back. "Thank you, the food was good."

She was quiet for a moment or two, and then wondered out loud at the meaning of this news: "Should the fire have spread... at least you lot would be able to escape while I'd be cooked alive in here. Good that you managed to deal with it..." While Shamara had learned ways to get out of most situations unharmed or with minimal losses, getting out of a burning locked up cell was not one of those, and she doubted the Rangers would care for her life enough to come save her if it came to it.

"Someone's romantic candle-lit dinner did not work out the way it should?" she guessed half-jokingly, assuming that since the fire was dealt with successfully, there were no casualties.

Captain of Tower

Karis Ziranphel
Beginning of August

“Hmm.” Ziran murmured laconically in reply, and took the empty dishes to set on the floor before leaning back again with little expression on her face. She raised an eyebrow at Shamara’s musings about being burned alive and subsequent joking about a romantic dinner, and then just watched the woman for a moment. It was interesting to see such an attempt of humor in the face of what happened, but of course the woman didn’t know as yet the extent of the challenge that had been met that night.

“No.” She spoke slowly after a long moment of silent watching. “Not a candle-lit dinner or romance.” Ziran paused, her dark eyes intent on Shamara’s face. “It was started deliberately as a distraction and wanton act of destruction by someone who had been masquerading as a recruit for some time, and one I’m told you are familiar with. The culprit was apparently one who could put on and cast off the appearance and voice of another as easily as you or I change clothes.” Her head tilted as she waited for some form of response. Would she react with joy, fear, concern, relief, or hope? Each could be revealing, even a placid response.

High Warden of Tower
Shamara
Beginning of August

Shamara had hoped to find an opportunity for a simple human interaction while she ate, testing out what seemed to her as an opening for just such an opportunity, considering that usually communication did not extend far beyond a couple of most necessary words. Since she did not quite expect more than usual and supposed that their conversation would not extend much beyond sharing of the piece of news, the Umbarian was rather surprised that Ziran did not leave as soon as she had received back the dishes and resumed her previous place opposite to her. The following silence only intrigued her further, though she did not interrupt it and looked back at the Ranger, waiting to see if anything else would follow.

When Ziran began to speak again, Shamara caught each word eagerly, though the more she listened, the more her eyes widened. "Wait... What?" her voice came out more hesitant and uncertain than she cared to admit to herself, and she moved close to the bars, wrapping her hands around two of them at the shoulder level.

"She is here? She has been here for... some time? I didn't know..." her words came out as a half-whispered admission. It had to be Relic! Shamara could think of two reasons that would have brought the slaver all the way out here, and she hoped that the primary one was not to kill her off. She did not doubt that Relic knew that she was kept here since the slaver had wormed her way right among the Rangers. However...

"Wait..." she said again. "Did you not realise that she was not who she said she was until she had done the deed and made it off with one of your Rangers? Or several, perhaps? Is that why you keep me here - so you can find her?" While Shamara realised she was in no position to question the Rangers, she could not help but let loose all the questions even if those were not answered. And she was also not sure what position and way of acting would be more favourable to her in this kind of unexpected scenario.

Captain of Tower

Karis Ziranphel
Beginning of August

It was interesting to watch Shamara’s reactions. It seemed that it was news to her despite Kaylin’s allusions to the possibility a few weeks prior. Then again, threats were different from certainty. It didn’t bother her when Shamara moved to the bars, and Ziran did not shift in her place.

“Nay.” Ziran shook her head with the hint of a smile. “We guessed who she was, even though it took a little time. You are here for your own crimes, of being complicit in kidnapping and espionage, not to catch her.” The woman couldn’t hope for release that easily. “We knew who she was, or at least very strongly suspected it, but unlike some places, Gondor operates by the rule of law and a King who is just. We couldn’t apprehend her without proof. She provided it herself.” She wondered to herself how long to draw it out before revealing that Relic was dead, but this trickle of information was leading to a few small revelations about how Shamara saw herself. “Were you hoping for rescue? Or worried about an execution?” Her tone may have been light, but the question was not.

High Warden of Tower
Shamara
Beginning of August

"Why..." Shamara stared at Ziran with lack of understanding in her eyes. "Sure, justice and all those Gondorian honourable things, but... you knew it was her and let her simply run around here? While you knew she could borrow anyone's likeness? No doubt, being aware how dangerous she is? Playing with fire... suppose you, folk, got what you asked for and burned your hands on that fire?" While she did not mean to come across condescending, the way Rangers had gone about it seemed foolish to her. She let go of the bars and shrugged lightly.

For a while she did not say anything, thinking over this new information. The Umbarian saw no use denying her own deeds, though she did not necessarily feel guilty or regretful of having done those. But at least there did not seem to be a hidden hook in why they held her. Perhaps. She was not wholly sure though, eying the woman on the other side of the bars somewhat suspiciously. Why she was sharing all this information with her? Were Gondorians likely to play dirty tricks on their prisoners?

"So... you managed to imprison her somehow?" Shamara broke the silence again. She could not quite believe that Relic would not have thought of exits - she always did. She also could not quite believe that the Rangers had been able to take her and lock her up somewhere. "I don't think holding her prisoner is a wise move either," she commented quietly, confident that Relic would leave at the earliest convenience, even if the whole troop of Rangers guarded her.

Shamara paused once more, her dark eyes narrowed, as she observed Ziran who seemed to be feeling out her personal expectations at hearing the news. She stood quite still, weighing her options and whether any sort of honesty would benefit her or harm her.

"Rescue? Execution? Who knows what she would do - I don't," she eventually admitted. "Could be either for all I know, though it is quite clear she has other priorities. If she has been here all this time and has not come..." Shamara was not sure whether she should be grateful that Relic had been busy elsewhere, or feel annoyed that the woman had not cared enough to come down here though Shamara was sure Relic knew of her whereabouts. At any rate, for all she knew, she might as well be the next item on the agenda, for better or for worse.

Orc
4th Age
Unknown year, month and date
Draugan Nuruhuine, elf, Potential recruit
Commander's office, Ranger Headquarters

His old boots crunched on the dead leaves fallen on the stone steps intermitted with grassy spaces, while his travel-worn cloak, so frayed that its original color can now not be discerned, swayed with the light breeze yet was shy enough to keep off the floor. This traveler's cloak and the vest underneath seemed to have some sort of brown or green color, but were travel-stained themselves as well to determine the original color as well.

There was a hood attached to his cloak, but that wasn't worn now, for there was nothing to hide, and this was friendly land. The elf's, for that is what he was, ears took cognizance of most sounds emanating from around him: the buzz of activity from the city circles below, the birds cawing overhead, the rustling wind over green grass and leaves, and the voice coming from the star-shaped building ahead of him. That, he was told, was the Army Headquarters.

There were a couple of guards at the oak door entrance. Stating his business, but earning a frown nonetheless. The elf stepped inside the vaulted stone halls with high ceilings, porticos and stone windows. This was the ground floor. At one end of the spacious hall was an entrance to the Commander's room. The elf walked towards it, noticing the sunbeams streaming through like golden tree trunks, and the dust visibly playing there.
Walking inside the Commander's room, he noticed someone sitting behind a table, whom he guessed was no other than the Commander. He offered a simple greetings.

"Greetings! I come with hope to join the Rangers."

@Pele Alarion

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
@Black Serpent

Papers were scattered throughout her desk, as Pele tried to determine the content of each and sort accordingly. She had not long returned from the vacation and still had to get herself into proper working mind, so it took slightly longer than usual to sort things. Being busy this way, she did not pay much attention to the footsteps out in the hall - often people came and went without even coming in. She reacted only at the greeting and looked up.

"Well met," she said and stood, observing the newcomer for a few moments in silence.

"I am Pele Alarion, the Captain of the Rangers," Pele introduced herself first, and then asked: "What may I call you? And what are your reasons for wanting to join us? Here in Gondor?" It was not a usual occurrence to have Elves come and seek to join the Rangers, and Pele could not help being curious. She had always thought that Elves had other business to attend to and did not get involved in matters of humans that often. However... Considering that their own Queen was an Elf, perhaps she should not be overly surprised.

"Take a seat, and tell me your story," she urged the Elf, and then sat back down in her own chair.

Orc
4th Age
Unknown year, month and date
Draugan Nuruhuine, elf, Potential recruit
Commander's office, Ranger Headquarters

"Honored to meet you," Draugan said curtly, just before thanking her as he took the offered seat in front of the table. He had not been in any army till now, but he could recognize experienced individuals when he sees one. For instance, the Commander's hands were tanned and were seemingly hard and tough, something that comes from being in the sun for long, and from using various weapons. Her face was tanned as well, but her grey eyes bright, keen and alert.

"Mine's is not much of a story yet, for I believe it takes a long life and experience to weave a tale worth telling. However, here is all about me. My name is Draugan Nuruhuine. I am from Imladris, though I was not originally born there. I was rescued as a babe by a group of elven traders somewhere between eastern Rhun and Cuiveinen. From there I was taken to Imladris, where I was nursed and brought up by the Eldars. I've learnt basic hunting, have some outdoor survival, and know how to use a knife."

The Commander could see at a glance that he was somewhat different from the usual light-haired elves that are more commonly seen. The elf sitting in front of her was still taller than most humans, was of graceful and fluid movements, although there was a wild and feral way in them as well. His skin was very pale, while his hair was jet black.

"I am an an Avarin elf, in case you are wondering. As to why I've come to Minas Tirith, it is to join the Rangers here. It is said that the skills taught here are second to none, and the training given is top notch. I would like to get foundational and subsequent advanced training here."

@Pele Alarion

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
@Black Serpent

Pele listened to Draugan's words, her shoulders relaxed and hands resting on the table in openness towards the potential recruit, while her back remained straight in show of confidence and practiced good posture.

"What do you consider a long life, Draugan?" she queried, turning the matter so as to reflect the aspect of a short life and mortality which was common to humanity and of which she was keenly aware of. "For us, humans, our whole life might only be a blink of what the span of Elvish life can be. And yet, even a child of only a few summers can have a wealth of experiences, even though perhaps lacking in wisdom how to handle it. My belief is that even the youngest soul already has a story to tell, even if it is a short one."

And even though the story Draugan provided was not long, the Captain learned what she could from it - of his background, his skills, his motivation.

"Right..." Pele said slowly, thinking of how to formulate the response, her blue eyes studying keenly the Elf across from her. "We might provide training; however, there is a requirement. Fierce loyalty to Gondor, to our King, to other comrades. To the point of giving your life for them, if necessary." She paused to give him time to consider her words, and then continued: "The Dark Lord has fallen, and yet our world is not so safe as to be without dangers. And we train not for the sake of simply being masters of our weapons but to protect that which we love. So how would it be? Would you be willing to give your very life for us - not your own people; to face the danger that your story might be cut short, so to say?"

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion
Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Headquarters, Command Office, September

Honestly? She had hoped there would be no more messages. Not from that messenger. Alas, the messenger did return. And alas, the note did more than answer her questions. It offered her humility, as did the gesture of now only sending a single rose along with it.

What am I supposed to do NOW? It would have been so much easier if this Alastar had been put off by my questions... She wanted to push the note away and ignore it, but... the messenger was waiting. With a light frown, she looked up to eye the man, who shifted on his feet in obvious discomfort under her scrutiny. Arnyn couldn't quite shake the feeling that someone was trying to pull a prank on her.

"You deliver messages from and to this Alastar Shakalgimil," she finally spoke. "Can you confirm that is his true name? That he is... a real person? Or do you not know and could all this very well be an elaborate joke from one of my more creative rangers?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn
The unfortunate messenger

While he was curious, the messenger did not read the notes that were really none of his business. The flowers spoke volumes though, and he did not feel comfortable delivering those back and forth even if the pay for the trouble was handsome enough.

The messenger's grey eyes met Arnyn's brown ones only briefly to show that he had no reasons to lie.

"Yes, Alastar Shakalgimil, the Fifth Circle, ma'am," he confirmed with a nod. "I doubt this is meant as a joke; however..." His hand indicated the rose, but he held back the rest of his thoughts on the matter, only muttering: "Sometimes I honestly dislike my job."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

"You do not like delivering messages to me?" Arnyn asked, amused at the messenger's last words. "Or what else is it that has you disliking your job at the moment?"

"If you are an employee of the postal service, bringing messages and flowers back and forth does not seem to fit the idea I had of your job description. Is the issue that this Alastar is exerting some kind of influence over you or your boss at the post office in order for you to run back and forth like this for him?" Perhaps that was the problem. And if so, it would give her an excellent reason to refuse!
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower

Karis Ziranphel

Beginning of August

Ziran’s eyebrow lifted slightly and a hint of amusement showed on her face as Shamara spoke condescendingly of their treatment of Relic. She may have agreed with the woman after a fashion, but wasn’t about to reveal that. Not that she felt any strong need to defend the chosen tactics either…but perhaps Shamara was attempting to make her angry by being insulting? Her dark eyes were quiet and steady as she watched Shamara instead of replying to her questions immediately, and was observed in return.

Her silence paid off a little as Shamara continued by admitting that Relic had not tried to contact her and that she didn’t know the woman’s purpose. “Hmm.” She nodded slowly and thoughtfully before tilting her head the other direction and continuing quietly and soberly. “Relic is not imprisoned. Starting the fire was her method of distraction and causing chaos as she tried to escape. She killed a few, but was eventually defeated and was herself killed during combat with the lieutenant.” Ziran paused a moment before continuing. “There is no mistake. Despite her powers and attempts at magics, she was defeated and is dead. Nothing is left of her.” The statement was simple in the end.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Headquarters - Secured Cell, beginning of August

One might think Arnyn had been listening at the door from the command office to the stairs leading down to the few secured cells underneath headquarters. For the Lieutenant's arrival took place after what might have been considered as the perfect introduction.

There was no way for that to be the case, of course. The door was too thick, the stairs too long, the words spoken too quietly. Nor did she need to be introduced to Shamara any longer: she had been one of the Rangers to bring in the Umbarian, and had been steadily assigned to watch her, bring meals, and make sure the woman did not simply waste away in her own filth.

On her way down, she brushed some shorter strands of hair out of her face and kept her sword clear of the steps. Arnyn met Ziran's eyes with a look that needed no further words. They had spoken of this - her fellow ranger would not be surprised by her presence. Not taking up position too close to Ziran, but rather in between the Cúner and the stairs, the Lieutenant leaned the back of her shoulders against the wall, one ankle hooked over the other, arms almost casually crossed, until finally her dark eyes travelled to Shamara. And stayed there.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn

The messenger looked flustered for a bit, blushed slightly, and then hastened to assure Arnyn: "Oh, no, no! I really don't mind coming with messages to you. And the... how you'd call it... bribe? From Alastar is fair enough for an extra walk up and down."

He cleared his thought and considered how to explain what he really thought of the whole matter. "You see, ma'am... All those flowers suggest that notes are of a romantic content, but my very subjective opinion is that Alastar, while a nice and polite young man, might simply have a crush on you and... is sort of too young for you. He's like sixteen, seventeen, eighteen summers old tops."

Almost automatically he took a step towards door, as if afraid that his honesty would cause Arnyn upset and she might yell at him.

~~~~~
@Karis Ziranphel
Shamara
Headquarters - Secured Cell - Beginning of August

Shamara did not really expect that the Rangers would heed her advice or even need to, so she was not surprised that Ziran did not comment on what she had said. Whatever else she could have said about the subject was forgotten when she was kindly provided with the next piece of news.

"Mmm," she murmured, acknowledging that fire, chaos, and deaths were all perfect signs of Relic's presence. It seemed that these followed the fiery haired slaver wherever she went. However...

"Relic... Killed? Dead?" she breathed out, disbelief reflecting in her dark eyes as she stood there with her mouth slightly open. She had learned that Relic always provided herself with a way out and no one could even come near to harming her, let alone kill her. How could it be? How could the Rangers have outsmarted Relic? Besides... what was she to do now? Relic had been just about the only constant in her life when all other things came and went. For a few moments Shamara stared at the wall right next to Ziran, trying to handle the sense of loss of a solid foundation and recover some semblance of her own smug self.

Then she glance at Arnyn who had joined them quietly, her eyes resting on the sword for a moment. Where they about to take her life like they had taken Relic's?

"I..." she began and for once found herself lost for words, as she stepped back from the bars, hands raised shoulder-height. "Did not mean harm to Rangers," she appealed finally.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

She was watching the messenger with an easy smile as he looked suddenly all too aware that he probably shouldn't have spoken his earlier words out loud, mumble or no mumble. When he reassured her he did not mind bringing messages to her, the smile grew slightly, and she nodded her thanks. Amused that the extra 'compensation' was viewed positively, she did raise an eyebrow as the messenger shared his opinion that this Alastar was 'too young' for her. Just how old did the messenger think she was?

But when the man told her that Alastar was seventeen or thereabouts, Arnyn's expression changed into one of utter amusement, surprise and disbelief. She couldn't help but laugh out loud and cover her eyes with one hand, while pushing away the latest note with the other. "Varda help me," she laughed quietly. "You're not joking, either, are you?"

After her amusement had settled a bit, she sighed, although she was still smiling and shaking her head. "Of course he is," she commented, as if that sort of thing tended to be her luck - or lack thereof, who could say? "Now how to let the youth down without crushing him?" she wondered out loud. "Young hearts are so easily damaged. Luckily they also tend to mend rather quickly..." After a dubious look at her writing utensils, the Lieutenant looked back up at the messenger, a little twinkle in her dark eyes. "You're a man. How do I best decline without being rude?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn

Seeing that the information he had provided had not caused Arnyn much dismay but rather entertainment, the messenger felt relief and allowed himself a small chuckle as well.

"It is no joke, Lieutenant," he assured her. "A youngster, and for some reason thinking you should notice him."

However, when Arnyn turned to him with questions, he cleared his throat and thought a while.

"I bring mail," he said at first with an amused twinkle in his eyes. "Not advice. But if you ask me, I'd say it would be better not to give him any false hopes from the very start, even if he feels disappointed. Maybe... accepting the single rose to show respect and at the same time tell him that even though you feel flattered by his attention you are not available. Or... I don't know. Along those lines." Unawares, the messenger's voice had gone from slightly insecure to something resembling teacher's.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn @Pele Alarion
Karis Ziranphel
Beginning of August

A brief glance as the door opened was all that Ziran afforded, meeting Arnyn’s gaze in acknowledgement, before her attention reverted to Shamara. The woman seemed frozen after her first breathed exclamation as she processed the implications of her statement. Her dark stare went past Ziran’s ear and focused on nothing but space for several long moments.

Silence was once again Ziran’s tool as she waited and watched, seeing Shamara collect herself enough to glance over at Arnyn’s casual pose and…yes, her own glance confirmed the direction…rested on the Lieutenant’s sword for another moment. It seemed to galvanize her and spark…was that fear?..as she stepped back and raised her hands up in the universal gesture of innocence and denial, and words came forth. Ziran should have expected them given the Umbarian’s previous disbelief at her imprisonment, but they were still a bit surprising. Did she think they were going to just kill her now?

Ziran let the silence after Shamara’s words draw out several long heartbeats before she tilted her ear towards the woman and paused before allowing a brief breath of laughter and shook her head. Her voice was calmly amused but also gently chiding. “Didn’t mean to harm Rangers?...Did you forget to add this time to that sentence? You knew Pele was a Ranger when you orchestrated her abduction, and you have been complicit in the immense harm of her and others by supplying information and actively working to enslave individuals. Why should I believe you meant no harm to Rangers? And why would you assume we only care if the harm is to Rangers? Every life matters here.” Her tone was serious, but she didn’t raise her voice despite the obvious incredulity in it.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

After a lingering look at the messenger, Arnyn wrote a note and handed it to him. "You can leave the rose. Take this back. I should think I will not see you again with a reply..."

She was to be mostly an observer, the Lieutenant reminded herself as she remained leaning against the wall. Her expression thus remained impassive at Shamara's appeal, her eyes staying with the Umbarian despite the excellent reply from Karis.

Arnyn had not missed the way Shamara had focused on the blade at her side. Slowly, she uncrossed her arms to rest her off hand on the longsword's pommel. Finally, after Karis' words had had some time to sink in, yet before Shamara could reply, the Lieutenant spoke but two words, in a tone that was impossible to decipher. "Including yours."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Karis Ziranphel , @Arnyn
Shamara

Shamara backed away another step, her eyes darting between Karis and Arnyn. There was nowhere for her to hide in this cell, and she could not escape; the only way that remained was to do their bidding and hope it would somehow turn out for her benefit.

"Well, I... technically, I have nothing against Rangers, nor did I before," she insisted, and continued hastily. "I simply did what I was tasked with. Nearly had my hand cut off when I hesitated... Relic wanted Pele, Ranger or no, so I had to. You know, it was simply my job."

The whole matter of importance of each life was something Shamara did not quite grasp; in her experience at best each group cared for its own members, and everyone else was more or less expendable. Or most often - each individual cared only for their own well-being.

"You, Gondorians, are strange," she admitted as the aftermath of her thoughts and lowered her hands, though she still looked rather tense. "Besides, why should I matter to you now that Relic is out of the way? You've already got the big fish, and small fry is just that - nothing of importance."

Captain of Tower

Karis Ziranphel
Beginning of August

Ziran’s eyes narrowed in thought in response to Shamara’s claims that she had only been doing the task assigned and not out of enmity. Brushing aside the comments about Gondorians being strange, she honed in on the next question. “Hmm. Nothing of importance? Then no one is likely to come after you if you leave that organization. They also won’t care if you spend the rest of your days in this cell.” The statement was a test of Shamara’s belief in her own stated truth, and Ziran watched her reactions carefully. “Is your loyalty to someone there or only to coin?”

She paused slightly. “You see, it is true that you might be of no more use to us if you choose to not share what you know of Relic’s organization that has been targeting Gondorians. If that is the case we can leave you in perpetual silence in this cell, with your only entertainment the meals you are brought. Or…” Ziran straightened to lean back in her chair again. “Or you may choose to show your contrition for your actions by sharing and there may be some forms of leniency granted.”

High Warden of Tower
Shamara

Shamara stood for a while, studying Ziran with a look at Arnyn now and then and thinking over the options presented to her. She did not really feel any regret for what she simply considered a part of her job description, the only passing regret being that she was so attracted to those forms of simple entertainment she had observed here in Minas Tirith. Else she would not have been caught. However, if it meant a tiny bit more of freedom she could act some sort of remorse.

"I was bound only to Relic," she finally said and moved closer to the bars again to show the scarring in the form of two crescent moons that was quite clearly visible on the palm of her right hand. "Everyone else working for her was subject to her - she was a life force of it all. She would have probably sought me out here, but since you say she is dead... I figure everyone else would give two hoots if I disappeared forever. I'm sure the other slavers would be too busy fighting for the free spot as soon as it became clear that Relic is dead. No place stays empty for long."

She paused again and looked straight into Ziran's eyes with some suspicion. "How do I know that I'll get anything at all in return for whatever information you want?" she wanted to know. "I am in your power and am not in the position to object even if you did not care to bring me any meals." She had to admit though that the Rangers had been very consistent with meal times even to the point where she could measure time by it. And there were no tools of torture anywhere in sight. Yet, silence would be a terrible thing to happen if it lasted endlessly.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion @Karis Ziranphel

No place stays empty for long. A pity.

Given that Karis remained quiet after Shamara's question, even after the last echo of the Umbarian's words had died and the place fell into a deep silence, the Lieutenant took it upon herself to reply this time.

"You do not know." She gave Shamara a dispassionate look. "There is no way for you to ever be certain that you will receive anything at all for the information you have to offer." Pushing herself away from the wall, Arnyn approached the bars near Shamara, unhesitant and clearly unconcerned to be within the woman's reach. She only had her sword, after all, and there was no way that the prisoner would be able to grab that from her. The Lieutenant's eyes held Shamara's, from up close, now. They were cold. Unyielding. Steely, despite their brown hue.

"In the same way that we have no way of knowing whether whatever information you provide, would be truthful." Other than their own personal assessment, of course. Arnyn had some experience with determining when someone was lying or not, but she had also learned that there were definitely people who could still fool you.

Slanting her head slightly, as if a thought had occurred to her, the Lieutenant let out a thoughtful "hmm". "Well. Hold on. I suppose that, if you feed us the wrong information, and if we act on it... and if it turns out your intelligence was wrong..." She drew in a pensive breath, looking up and away from Shamara for a moment before returning her eyes to the prisoner once more. "Then the meals would very likely stop. And you would be likely to come to a rather painful end in this very cell," she mused. "Through starvation, if not some individual ranger's revenge."

The Lieutenant tapped one of the bars between her and shamara with her fingernail. "So, no, you cannot be sure of any form of leniency if your information proves true." She nodded once, slowly. "What you can be sure of, is what will happen if you give us bad information. Or no information at all."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Lieutenant Brian
Arriving at Headquarters after leaving the Barracks - Sometime in September, after supper

Hell hath no fury like a barracks master scorned. Brian knew she had an evening shift at headquarters. It didn't happen daily. But today, of all days - the glory - it was so.

"If I were the one to deal out your discipline today, Leithor, there would be little of you left," Brian growled, although his tone was already more measured - he was regaining his control, or possibly holding onto it for dear life, envisioning it as Trastion's ear. "If I were to do it, it would either mean you would be thrown out of the Rangers - or it would be very likely that you would resign from your own accord before your punishment would be over." Brian glared down at the young man he was guiding along. "Maybe I should be the one to do it. Then I could at least be rid of you." One of the many nails in his coffin. At present, definitely the biggest one.

The door to headquarters thumped loudly against the inner wall as Lieutenant Brian entered, still half-dragging Trastion with him. At least he wasn't still chatting his ear off... Ha. Between the two of them, it'd be Leithor with the ear issues at present.

"Lieutenaaaaaant!" Brian already called ahead, his tone betraying he was not bringing happy tidings. A heavy fist pounded on the doorframe to the command office, for the door itself was open. He all but threw Trastion into the office ahead of him. "I realize it is highly unusual. But this time I have a verbal and physical rather than a written report."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

There was definitely something about new experiences that some might say were exciting or adventurous. Being dragged by the ear was one such "new experience" that Trastion did not want to repeat. Stumbling along with the lieutenant, the walk from the barracks to the headquarters was both swift, and yet at the same time, seemed to take far too long. It took all his efforts just to kept from tripping on anything(including his own feet, being forced to walk at an odd angle) the whole way, while partially bent over due to the difference in height between them.

Once finally released, with a strong shove into the office, Trastion stumbled forward without having to act at all, and caught himself against one of the chairs. His first instinct was to hold his painful ear, but also remembered to fall back into the act. But how to act, he wondered briefly, before quickly improvising. He gave into the instinct to grab his ear. "Owwww," He complained, and staggered as if finding it difficult to stand on his own, now that he was no longer being "aided" by the lieutenant.

In fact, after reaching out to catch himself on the chair's back, he "missed" and actually tumbled right against the side of it, which knocked the chair away from him. He crashed to the floor, looked a bit surprised and confused by finding himself in the floor, then laughed a little. "Oops, guess I missed..." He commented. Looking up, he seemed to notice Arnyn for the first time. "Hey, when'd she get 'ere?" He wondered, as if surprised to see her. As if he had no idea they were in her office...
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Headquarters - Command Office, Sometime in September, after supper

She looked up at the sound of Lieutenant Brian's voice. A frown settled on her face when the barrack's master's fist announced his arrival against the doorframe. But then, rather than seeing Lieutenant Brian entering her office, the first person she saw was...

Trastion?

He crashed into one of the chairs, grabbing his ear, which was looking a bit red. He'd have been wiser to grab the chair, for that slipped away and fell over. It was all very noisy in the quiet that reigned headquarters at this hour, and Arnyn wasn't sure whether she was appreciative of any of it. Therefore, she unexpectedly only felt a mild type of curiosity this evening. Brian, however, definitely caught her attention as he stepped into the room. He had an ominous aura around him. The words that left his lips made Arnyn roll back her shoulders. If the barracks master had come to deliver a report in person... bringing, no doubt, the source of his ire... Trastion. Who did not look nearly as impressed as he probably should be? Instead, he looked confused. Amused.

Drawing in an uneasy breath, Arnyn leaned back in her chair. "Evening, Lieutenant." She did not dare say it was a good one. "What is this about?"

The Barracks Master seemingly had to force himself to pull his attention off Trastion and focus it onto her. He snapped a quick fist-to-chest salute and started detailing how he had found Trastion in the barracks and what he had been doing. Even though the barracks master left out the events with the mop and the whole 'Lieutenant Fryin' business, he still managed to paint a very negative picture. And - credit where credit is due - without exaggerating a single thing. "Since Leithor is under your mentorship, and I don't wish to lay eyes on his sorry state of being any longer than I absolutely must, I am leaving this to you, Lieutenant." Brian's tone made it very clear there was no messing with him now.

Arnyn remained silent for a moment longer as she took in the sight of the barracks master on the one hand, and the sight of her mentee on the other. Rising from her chair, she ignored Trastion for now. "Very well. I will come see you tomorrow, Barracks Master. We will also discuss this further then. You can leave Leithor here."

With a curt nod, Lieutenant Brian shot a final glare at Trastion. "I am very interested in that conversation, Lieutenant. Until then." He turned on his heels and left the office, and soon thereafter, headquarters.

Arnyn stepped to the door of her office, not to close it, but to watch. Until Lieutenant Brian had most definitely left the building. She did finally close the door to the office - not because she thought anyone else might be there at this hour, for she knew there was not, but rather taking into account it would make Trastion feel safer if they were to speak openly. "I know you cannot possibly be drunk. Care to explain what you were thinking?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

September 7th
Evening, after supper

As Brian began telling Arnyn all about his 'drunken display', Trastion stretched out on the floor and returned to singing the song, or mix of songs, from before. He kept his volume quiet enough not to be too distracting to them while the lieutenant was talking, but just loud enough to be heard, so as to keep up the illusion of being drunk.

At last, Brian left. Trastion's song trailed off as he made his exit. Sitting up, he watched Arnyn go to the door. He slid a hand through his hair in an attempt to make it a bit less messy, and let out a slow, quiet sigh. While she was waiting to be sure that Brian had left, Trastion got to his feet, took a moment to pick up the chair that had fallen over, then turned back to face her about the time she was closing the door.

"I know you cannot possibly be drunk. Care to explain what you were thinking?"

Glancing up at Arnyn, he brought his fist to heart in a salute. "I.. well," He suddenly hoped that she hadn't been really busy with anything that this was interrupting. But it was too late to worry about that, now. "Sorry if you were busy." He stated, first. "Um, remember how you told me I should make people believe that I drink?" He began, a little uncomfortable. He looked down, then coughed, suddenly reminded of the smell on his outer shirt.

"Hold on a second," He asked, making a face. Taking a quick break from his explanation, he pulled off the shirt that smelled of alcohol and tossed it over near the door, to get it away from them both. That way, he wouldn't forget it when he went to leave. Underneath, he wore another, clean shirt. "Sorry, that smell.. ugh." Once free from the source of the smell, he looked back at Arnyn.

"Anyway. So... I got to thinking it seemed.. dangerous, doing all that. It seems like I'd probably have to keep faking it on several different occasions, which meant going back again and again and having to go through the same nerve-wracking stuff, until enough people had seen me 'drinking' that it would even make a difference." He sighed in exasperation at the very thought of having to endure all of that. He shrugged lightly. "I kept thinking, what if something went wrong? What if a situation came up and Kaylin wasn't there to help me out of it, how would I deal with that? What if a mistake happened somewhere and I got the wrong drink, and I wasn't paying enough attention... what if someone caught on to my act, or if someone grabbed my drink and realized it wasn't alcoholic..." He trailed off, shrugging as he felt he'd listed enough of his concerns to make his point. 

"Anyway, so, I figured, well, it'd be better if I could convince everyone as quickly as possible that I got really, really drunk. And I thought, it'd be even better if I could get into so much trouble, because of it, that no one would question it too much if I decided not to drink anymore after that." He explained. "So... the best way to do that seemed to be.. to put on a big show of being drunk, right in the middle of the barracks where plenty of people would see it. You know, give them a good story to gossip about so it'd get spread around really fast." He shrugged, then looked down in regret. "Only, I think I got a little too carried away..."
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

High Warden of Tower
Shamara

Shamara found the ensuing silence rather unnerving, yet she did not let it show other than her eyes darting back and forth between the two women. And even when the Lieutenant spoke, it brought her no relief and no certainty. When Arnyn approached her, the Umbarian did not shy away to maintain a comfortable distance, nor did she make any threatening move - if there was anything of the kind she could even manage.

"So..." she began hesitantly, forced to admit that this time she had really messed up and there was no viable way for her to get out of this unscathed one way or another.

"If I tell you what I know, I might still rot here; and if some important personas in Umbar learn that I've let loose some info they might surely hasten my end, even if I'm here," she discussed the options out loud. "And if I don't tell you anything, I'd still die. Very promising indeed. Damned if I speak, damned if I don't."

Shamara lowered her eyes and concluded quietly: "I'd rather rely on Gondorian mercy even if you think I don't deserve any than starve or... something." Looking back up again, her posture seemingly void of any arrogance, she asked: "What is it that you want to know from me? I might not know all the answers, mind you."