Rangers: Barracks & Stables

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Evening, the day of the fire and Relic's death
Barracks - Officers' Quarters

Arnyn nodded thoughtfully to Pele's words, not offering any immediate response but listening instead. Only when her friend prompted her with a question, did she speak up.
"Well, I know what you mean." Her words came slowly, as if she were still trying to think of how to phrase her thoughts as she spoke. "Not that I have ever had such a personal enemy, but I can tell you that - yes - I too have tried and failed in the past, at returning to who I'd been before."

"For some reason, I felt as if it was somehow my job to keep trying and to keep fighting until I could go back to the way I was before. As if, if I just kept at it for long enough, it would all go away in the end. And when it didn't work out that way, it felt as if I hadn't earned an end to my pain." Brown eyes looked up to Pele's blue ones. "Does that sound familiar, friend?"

Arnyn rose from the bed, sighing, looking back and forth between the room and Pele as she tried to explain. "As it turned out, at least for me, processing grief and guilt was not a linear process. There were no fixed amount of stages that I could simply go through, one neatly after the other, before I reached the finish line and I could be 'myself' again. And that frustrated me. It took me quite some time in the Northern wilds to figure out that the pressure I felt to reach that finish line only made processing my grief and my guilt that much more difficult. And it took even longer for me to realize that this so-called finish line - what some people call 'closure' - is a complete and utter lie. By holding on to this idea of closure, I was only... extending my pain."

"You might say that... I stopped thinking of who I used to be as my 'usual self'." An almost mocking smile crossed Arnyn's features. "I stopped thinking of a former state of being or former state of feeling as something that I was obliged to return to. No one was forcing that on me other than myself. So why was I?" Arnyn shrugged. "I stopped telling myself that not being able to wipe away the pain was a failure. And once I started believing it... at least I stopped feeling guilty about my pain. If that makes sense? And only then did I start thinking about a way to live with the pain. I started looking for a way to face my grief, to face my guilt - to deal with it day by day. I decided I wanted to learn and live with the unanswered 'why's' and 'what ifs'. I decided I wanted to carry my pain in a way that allows me to keep standing for something I believe in, to keep living in the way I feel is right. To continue and try to make a difference, however small that difference may be."

"When you try to ignore it, when you try to get rid of it, Pele - the pain tries to rule your life. Once you realize that you are free to... accept the pain, as a part of who you are - once you realize you can give that pain a home within yourself - you can start learning to live alongside it."

Now within arm's length, Arnyn reached out to touch Pele's arm. "And your experiences do not erase the person you used to be, Faelind. They add to who you are."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

Pele
listened eagerly to what Arnyn had to share, and soaked up her words as if it was a life-giving water to a thirsty soul. While she did listen to the words, it was just as important - or perhaps even more - to find that she was not alone in the fight. It brought some measure of comfort to her even while so many questions still remained unanswered. She met her friend's eyes now and then and nodded in agreement.

"Ah, if only it was linear. Like a small scratch where the healing is very simple. This feel more like trying to treat a collection of various injuries and illnesses all combined," Pele sighed, comparing the situation to what she had to deal with at the Houses of Healing constantly. "While hoping that the patient will eventually recover and not die. For me it even seems more like an endless cycle - when I think that one thing is more or less healed, another wound opens up."

The food in her hand was forgotten for a while as Pele followed the train of thought Arnyn had set when sharing her experiences. "I tried to return to the past, but very soon it became clear that it is impossible, and yet I have not yet found the way how to live today and how to make the future count. I can handle harm done to me... somehow at least, but I cannot accept the thought of others suffering. Relic found this out soon enough and made use of it, and while I can see that she used it as a weapon against me, still..."

Pele paused to let the tightness in her throat subside. "I do not see how people being hurt and lost can add anything to who I am, Arnyn," she managed, tears stinging her eyes. "It feels like unreconcilable failure. Rather like... disqualification instead of anything towards betterment."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

Arnyn's eyes seemed sad.

"Pele... Did you hurt them? Did you take away what Maldir needed in order not to be lost?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

"Well," Pele looked somewhat stunned at the directness of the question, and even the tears that threatened to fall seemed to stall. "No... I definitely did not."

She fell silent for a while, and then looked at Arnyn as she tried to formulate her thoughts. "But... I always end up making decisions that in no way help to prevent the damage; to the contrary, more evil comes of it. Like..." her voice trailed off while she set the half-eaten food on the table and ran her hand over her face in an attempt to brush off the memories of having to watch how a corsair beat Maldir on Relic's orders. As if it had been only yesterday, Pele could still hear Relic's words echo in her mind: "Anger me and he'll suffer... try to escape and he'll bleed. His fate is once more in your hands, Alarion." They had escaped at that time, both of them, and yet... the harmful seeds hidden in those words had already taken root. She did not dare imagine what horrible choices she would have been forced to face had they not escaped.

"He was beaten when I would not submit to Relic... and who knows - perhaps I would have been able to find him and help him if I had searched for him," Pele said quietly, as the words Relic had told her once again seemed to push into the forefront of her memories. "Oh how disappointed he must have been when you didn't come. Much like this water you could have been his salvation. A long cool drink on his parched and weary soul. How many times did he scan the horizon for you only to be disappointed? Too many to tell I'm sure," the woman had said.

Countless times she had dwelt on the accusations Relic had thrown at her during all the time she was in captivity until she had accepted them as true. And while she had rejected the last words she heard from the poisonous woman and had acted on what had to be done, the same words still had affected her, like salt on a raw wound. Too late... once more... failed... once more.

"Perhaps things would have gone differently if I had just stayed away and not returned? Or... if I had been more open to share at least. Or... if I had not provoked her to storm off in anger?" Pele asked, burying her face in her hands. The day had been long, it had been very difficult and demanding, and she was extremely tired - she found it very hard to resist the poison of Relic's words that still seemed to remain in her heart as shards of a broken blade and prevented it from healing properly. "So much trouble, so many losses... I don't know how to accept it, how to live with it, and how to move on."

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor
Mess hall - evening of Urimë 15

It felt like a long day, but it was soon coming to a close. While he was looking forward to being able to 'lose' the other crutch, he wasn't quite there yet. And, being toward the end of the day, he was having to lean on it a bit more than he had in the morning. After spending the late morning and early afternoon period with Arnyn, searching all around the barracks building, stables, HQ, and other areas for potential dangers left by the malicious sorceress, they had come across only a few surprises left by someone.. one would assume Relic, given the malicious intent involved. Thankfully, they had discovered the (probably poisoned) needle hidden in Pele's saddle before her horse had to experience any unpleasant surprises. As well as a slightly more complicated trap, involving a floorboard rigged to launch a (probably poisoned) dart at anyone unlucky enough to step in the wrong spot. After all of that, he'd been glad to complete the search and get out in the woods.

The late afternoon, up until now, had been spent out in a portion of the forest within the training grounds, with Trastion. The pair had been joined by Unalmis for the ride back, but he asked to be dropped off in the third circle. He and Trastion were just in time for supper when Duinion parked the wagon just outside the stables, and turned the horse over to whoever was on duty for the stables tonight.

Trastion had made a valiant effort to not fall asleep on the ride back up through the levels, and it was a remarkable difference from how he had been bursting with energy when they set out, only a few hours ago. The recruit mumbled something about changing out of his muddy, wet clothes before joining the others for supper. Trying not to snicker at the memory of the young man falling into the creek because of his over-enthusiasm, Duinion nodded. "Don't take too long, or you might miss supper." He called after him, as the young man dragged himself up the stairs to the dorms. Duinion couldn't help wondering if this sort of 'high energy in the morning, dragging by nightfall' was usual with Trastion. Something told him it was not, but he couldn't say why he felt like that.

Upon entering the mess hall, Duinion paused and took a deep breath. So many people. So much noise. He gripped the handle part of his crutch, fighting against the urge to turn and walk out again. Mentally bracing himself, he moved to join the line of rangers waiting to get food put onto their trays. Holding back a sigh, he grabbed a tray and made his way through the line, then stopped at the end with his tray laden with food. He looked down at the tray with a slight frown. How was he supposed to carry a tray of food while using a crutch to walk? Last time, Unalmis had been around to help out tremendously. But he was not here, now. Trying not to make it obvious what was making him hesitate, Duinion took a moment to scan the room, searching for somewhere to sit that wasn't as populated, while trying to figure out some solution to this problem.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Barracks - Mess Hall
Evening of Urimë 15

It was the first time she'd be having a meal at the mess hall since the day of the fire. Still a bit on her guard, she'd chosen not to wear the uniform or any indication of her rank. Not that this was necessary for people to recognize her. It was probably just a mental thing, she realized. She just wore browns, carrying no weapons other than the dagger strapped to her boot.

Another busy day was drawing to an end, and to be honest Arnyn had had her fill of 'duties' for the day. The briefing and then searching HQ, the barracks, the stables with Duinion had required a lot of focus. Her own late afternoon had been filled with trying to settle disputes between Rangers forced into rooms together who were not used to each other's mannerisms. It had only been a few days that Pele and Arnyn had been covering the barracks for Brian, and even though the current situation was a bit more crowded... At some point earlier today, Arnyn had thought she might be starting to understand why Brian had all these ridiculous rules in place. Maybe it wasn't at all to annoy the occupants. Maybe it was simply because it reduced the number of disagreements between roommates. The beginning of this realization was... disconcerting her.

She hoped her appearance at the mess wouldn't draw more Rangers to her with roommate disputes. She might even prefer questions about what had happened with Relic, by this point. Preferably, she'd just be able to sit and talk with a few people about entirely different matters.

Having made it through the line with some casual chit-chat - which suited her at this point - and having found a spot at one of the tables which wasn't completely full yet, her dark eyes were roaming the mess as she started by sipping her glass of water. Before she knew it, it was more than half-empty. She rose from the bench with the intention to refill it, and headed for the drinks station, which was at the very end of the line for food. Just before arriving, her gaze noticed Duinion. Hesitant about something.

Ah. Of course.

"Do you want some water as well?" she asked, replacing a greeting by the question. Upon the Tirdinen's affirmative reply, she filled a second glass and then held it out to him. "Here," she said, not really giving him much of a choice. Then she wordlessly put her own glass on his tray and picked it up. "There are several seats available over there," she indicated with a nod. "Though you'll have to put up with my presence." She smiled faintly and then slowly but steadily started heading that way, not really waiting for his reply.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

"Do you want some water as well?"

It took him a moment to realize, over the noise of so many other people chatting, that the question was directed at him. Duinion blinked and saw Arnyn, looking at him. "Oh.. yes, thank you." He answered, a little awkward as he realized he hadn't even thought about getting a drink yet. The tray alone was frustrating enough. Before he had a chance to wonder how he was going to carry that AND the glass, Arnyn picked it up for him and left him no chance to protest. He nodded slightly at her mentioning there were plenty of seats 'over there'.

Carrying the glass in his empty hand, he followed along without too much difficulty, although he really hoped there wouldn't be a lot of people at the table where she was going. There weren't, as it turned out, much to his relief. Setting the glass down, he selected a spot to sit at the end of the table, and got settled in. "Thank you," He added quietly, once they were seated. He figured there was no need to explain what that was for, just as she'd had no need to ask if he needed help.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Barracks - Mess Hall
Evening of Urimë 15

"You're welcome," she said, adding nothing else on the matter as she picked up her own glass from Duinion's try and slid it over to him, before sitting back down behind her own food. Picking up her utensils, she looked at the food and then back to Duinion. "This dish is one of Pete's specialties," she said lightly. "It's pretty good. Especially considering the amounts he makes of it."

A Ranger a few seats over caught her words. "The Sarge has a gift," he agreed, nodding to Duinion. "Enjoy!"
Arnyn gave the man a smile and the two of them chatted a bit about the different meals they thought Pete was especially good at while they were eating. Meatballs, Arnyn said. Beef stew, the ranger countered. Sausages and spinach with mashed potatoes, and that brown sauce, Arnyn claimed. This went on for a while, until they both agreed that Pete's crowning jewel was in fact... his chocolate cake.

The Lieutenant returned to her earlier activity: the perusal of the mess. After a few bites, she thought to ask: "Ah, Duinion, by the way. How was training with Trastion?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

"Oh, is it?" Duinion replied, when Arnyn commented about the dish. He glanced over as someone he didn't know spoke up, adding to the conversation, and smiled faintly back to him before focusing on the tray of food. He couldn't help thinking the food would be more enjoyable if he could go someplace quieter to eat it. But he didn't comment on that. He only half listened to the dispute between Arnyn and the other guy, and wondered if he might be able to take his meals in the 'little mess' for the future times that he was required to come here. It was still a mess hall, right?

He took a sip of water, trying to settle his nerves a little. He could endure this... it just wasn't very enjoyable for him. Not the food, but the surroundings..the atmosphere. It reminded him far too much of having meals at the orphanage, with everyone all crowded together at the long table, squeezed together on benches, never having enough elbow room. Having to defend his plate from the bigger kids... at least, in the mess hall, that wasn't something he had to worry about. Still, his left arm sort of curled around the tray, without him really thinking about it.

The lieutenant speaking his name cut through the noise, and he looked up from his food, somewhat glad for something to distract him from all of the inner thoughts swirling around. He took a moment to swallow the bite in his mouth. "Very well, actually." He answered, but paused slightly before adding, "All things considered, anyway."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

"You definitely did not," Arnyn repeated emphatically. After listening to Pele's words, Arnyn fought off a slight frown.

"Alright," she said gently. "So let us explore the other options. Say you had submitted to Relic. What would that have meant? For you? And for Maldir? And for everything else?"

"And if you had searched for him after the news came. Where would you have gone? How would you have started? Would you have gone alone or would that have been too risky? Would it have even been feasible? What would your leave taking have meant?"

After Pele's last few questions, after the way she buried her face in her hands, a little piece chipped off Arnyn's heart. "My dear friend," Arnyn whispered, pulling Pele into a comforting hug and just letting the silence be for a moment.

When she did speak again, Arnyn's voice was calm and steady. "One step at a time."

@Rillewen
Barracks - Mess Hall
Evening of Urimë 15 - two days after the fire

The Lieutenant gave Duinion an inquiring look and laughed briefly at the added comment. "Was the coffee still giving him some trouble?"

She soon returned to what she found more interesting at the moment, however. "You said very well. Does that mean he took to your instruction fast? Or that he displayed prior knowledge?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

Duinion smiled faintly. "I guess it was the coffee." He nodded, trying to focus on the lieutenant, rather than the crowded mess hall around them. "He was rather.. distracted, overflowing with energy... on the first anyway. But it had faded a lot by the time we got back." He answered. "It almost felt like taking a walk through the woods with Hattie.. running circles around me and all." He laughed faintly, then took a sip of water. "Overall though, he did very well today." He genuinely felt impressed by how much the young man already knew.

"We went over all the basics.. shelter, food, fire, water, all that." He took a bite of food, chewed, and swallowed before going on, which gave him to think about what else to tell her. "Trastion was already well-acquainted with most of it. I didn't have to teach him much at all." He paused, thinking for a moment. "The things I did show him were, how to build a shelter.. he'd never done that, always used tents before. But he picked it up quickly." He paused to think. "And then I taught him some basic traps to use for catching food when using a bow might not be an option. Things like that." He smiled a little. "And then he fell in the creek," He tried not to laugh at that, but the amusement was clear in his eyes. "He got a little.. overeager to look for tracks on the other side of the creek," He explained with a little grin.

"Anyway," The grin faded to a regular smile. "He went to change into some dry clothes before supper, but he said he'll be down soon." He glanced around, wondering if he'd catch sight of the recruit, but he saw no sign of him. Instead, he saw all the others filling the mess hall, and wished he hadn't looked around. He returned his gaze to the lieutenant. "But, as far as knowing the basics of survival, he seems fairly knowledgeable. For the next training session with him, I think he's perfectly ready to focus on refining those skills to a more advanced level."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Barracks - Mess Hall

She didn't show any surprise when Duinion said Trastion was already quite familiar with survival skills. Knowing his background and the way he had been making his own way in the world for a few years, it made sense. Instead, she nodded, storing away the information for later. The comment about the recruit falling into the creek, made her breathe out a short and quiet laugh. She could sort of see it happening. Duinion's grin and the look in the ranger's eyes showed it had been very amusing. The Lieutenant's eyes automatically scanned the mess when Duinion glanced around to see if Trastion had already found his way here. Not spotting the recruit, her focus soon returned to Duinion. Something in the set of his shoulders and the way he was curling his arm around his tray, struck her then. He was... uncomfortable.

Of course he was.

Arnyn nodded. "Good. Teach him what you see fit. I'd just like to know how things went and what skills he has mastered afterward." Trying to distract the Tirdinen a bit, she backtracked to the creek comment. "Did he manage to get out of the creek on his own?" she asked with a smile. "Or did you need to hold out a branch for him?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

He nodded when she said to teach him whatever he saw fit. Duinion wondered if it would be acceptable to have both Trastion and Romeran come for a bit of training together. Before he could ask Arnyn what she thought of the idea, she had returned to the mention of the creek incident. He smiled.

"Yes, thankfully he managed well enough on his own." He answered. "What happened was... well, I mentioned something about tracks, and he got very excited and said he'd seen some tracks earlier across the stream. So, he took off like an arrow, and I barely managed to call him back, and reminded him about moving slow and stealthy so not to frighten the prey away. Not that we were catching any, this time, but better not to get in the habit of rushing around making noise, you know?"

"So, we go over to the stream, and I mentioned that, if we were actually going to try and trap something, we'd go over to that side of the stream to inspect the tracks better. And before I could say any more, he got all excited and jumped across..." He shook his head a little. "And landed right on a slippery stone hidden below the water, just short of the opposite bank. He wasn't hurt," He was swift to assure her. "So, I didn't feel the least bit bad about laughing... It was hilarious really. His feet went flying out from under him and he just flopped backward into the water, with this...very baffled look on his face." He snickered, remembering. "It was.. possibly the funniest moment of the whole day." He grinned. "And then when he tried to get up, he kept slipping back in because everything he grabbed was covered in moss and slippery..." He couldn't help a little laugh just remembering it.

"It all happened too fast for me to do anything, but it sure was funny." He sipped his water and smiled, letting the incident replay in his mind for a moment, then shook his head slightly. "You know what he said when he finally climbed out?"

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

This far, Pele's survival had been of the utmost importance to her, and for that reason she had built rock-solid walls to contain her pain, tears, anything she had thought would increase her chances of falling apart and being destroyed, but the return home and being surrounded with friends had caused these walls to start crumbling. Yet, she had not dared to weep openly, rather not at all - this far, but as she found herself enveloped in Arnyn's hug, some of the walls gave way. Pele did not interrupt the silent moments, she did not sob, yet silent tears fell to leave a wet spot on Arnyn's shirt. It seemed that these tears washed away some of the confusion, while her mind worked on the questions her friend had asked.

"Patience. Patience and being silent in anger might have prevented some damage. Maybe," she spoke, seeking out Arnyn's brown eyes with her own still wet blue ones. "But I do not even want to think what complete surrender without any resistance would have meant. It would have eventually meant betrayal of Gondor. And... there would not have been any escapes, neither the first nor the second, and I would be broken in ways beyond repair slaving away in Umbar somewhere to the death. But I am no slave even if made one for a while," her raised chin and squared shoulders showed a measure of pride which had not been stolen regardless of all the Umbarian attempts.

Pele took a pause to let the sudden flame of anger which had awoken in her instead of previous feeling of helplessness to subside a little before she continued: "I should say that I hesitated to start searching for Maldir because I had no clue where I should even start - or where he even had gone. It did not seem reasonable to leave my post without a clear understanding of where to go and what effort and means it would require. Searching for a needle in a hay stack?" She sighed and shook her head. "Even if I set out somewhere, it might have ended up a completely wrong direction either way, and I might have arrived too late even if I finally found him."

"Those steps, Arnyn, even one of them might take a while. I've had such a long time to ruminate day in and day out on what Relic told me, and it is hard to reverse those thoughts," she admitted quietly. "I am not sure the process can be hastened, but if it is so... I am not sure I can give our Rangers all they need in my current state. I am still quite a broken mess, am I not?"

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

She ignored the tears on her shirt and looked earnestly back at Pele once they withdrew from the hug. Relic had messed with Pele to such a degree, it was almost difficult to believe. Listening to her friend, Arnyn was glad to see there was still some pride and resistance left within the blue-eyes woman in front of her, even if it was not always easily accessible to Pele.

Her last words and question made Arnyn's eyes widen. She shook her head with determination. "Do not entertain such thoughts, Pele!" she said quietly, but insistently. "Do you honestly think most of us are whole?" Taking a moment to try and gather her thoughts, Arnyn drew in a slow breath. "You are not broken, in pieces on the ground. If you ever were that, you have already put yourself back together. You function. You lead. You make progress, even if it is going much slower than you'd prefer," she continued firmly. "At worst, you're... cracked." She smiled faintly, slanting her head in a brief attempt of humor. "Like half or more of our Rangers, I should say. And you can work on minimizing those cracks. You'll never be the same, but you can grow beyond needing to be. I promise you!"

"When it came down to it, you chose to help Mourgan instead of claiming your vengeance. This proves you have made more progress than you know. You let go of your pain and anger enough in order to be true to your innermost self. Relic did not ruin you. Relic did not erase you, nor did she turn you into some shell of yourself."

Arnyn took Pele's hands in her own. "You don't know what you are, do you? You are a unifying force for former Rangers and Soldiers. Everyone knows you. Everyone likes or even adores you. You're an inspiration to many. You have incredible worth. You are not a slave. You are a protector. You are a healer. You are a leader. None of what Relic has done to you or told you, has changed any of these things."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Barracks - Mess Hall

The smile on her face was impossible to mask in between bites, as she listened to Duinion speak of his training session with Trastion. When the Tirdinen got to the point of Trastion jumping over the creek, Arnyn was unwisely in the middle of sipping her water. She jerked forward a little when Duinion described Trastion's feet flying out from under him and the way he flopped backward into the water. Pressing her lips together, fighting a grin, the Lieutenant tried to keep her sip where it belonged. After a moment, she managed to swallow it. "I am glad you two had fun together," she said, laughing quietly.

Duinion's question made her slant her head. Palantirs again? Yet, instead of just replying with a true yet boring 'no', Arnyn gave some thought as to what Trastion might have said upon climbing out. "That he needed to work on his jumps?" She immediately shook her head, however. "No, that's not a very Tras-thing to say. Perhaps that he had verified the presence of dangerously slippery stones in the creek?" she ventured, trying to imagine what the recruit might have said. "Or that it was the perfect way to cool off on a hot summer day, and that you should try it?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

A slight grin came when the lieutenant made a few guesses about Trastion's comment. "Yes, something like that," he answered to the second guess, smiling. She either had made a lucky guess, or she knew the young man well enough by now to make a good guess. He suspected the latter. "He said he was just testing the stream to find out if it was slippery," He proceeded to give her the actual words Trastion had said, then grinned. "Out of concern for my safety, of course." He added before taking a drink of his water. Setting the glass down again, he tried to hold back a little grin.

"You should've seen the look on his face when I informed him, after all that.. that we didn't even need to cross the stream." He laughed quietly. "I really had a hard time not laughing at him." He shook his head slightly, amused as he took another bite of his food. It had certainly been one of the highlights of amusement for the day. A close second would be the look of amazement on the recruit's face when he realized that Unalmis was there the whole time, hidden up in a tree. But Duinion wasn't sure he wanted to tell the lieutenant about that, as it might draw forth more questions.

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

It had been easier for Pele to keep herself together during the day while she had immediate tasks to handle and not much time to get lost in various ruminations. Now, the touch of Arnyn's hands and the eye contact helped Pele anchor herself to the present moment, and she forced herself to step out of the confusion caused both by simple weariness and long suppressed emotions to focus again.

"No, I am not fully sure who or what I am. Sometimes," Pele muttered, coming to realisation that she now was in a position where she held invisible scales in her hand - and she eventually had to choose one or the other. Either it was Relic's accusations thrown at her under duress to humiliate and break her - which did seem to hold a certain amount of truth still, especially when bad things happened and Pele felt responsible for it. Or, on the other hand, the words spoken by her friend, without coercion, from the depths of her heart.

Pele tried to read Arnyn's brown eyes to see if there was anything that would suggest that she did not quite mean the words, and then felt her cheeks begin to burn. At least the room was not lit too well, a thought entered her mind, but then again - did it really matter if her friend saw her blush?

"I might have been momentarily blinded by anger, but I cannot do otherwise... preserving someone's life comes before taking someone else's life in my book, unless the first cannot be achieved without the latter," Pele said with certainty since this was at least one thing she was sure of when all else might appear unclear.

For a while she was silent, and then a small smile touched her lips though she had wept only moments ago. "What is it then?" she asked quietly. "A cracked captain leading cracked Rangers? Though if the cracks in a vessel serve to water the plants around it, perhaps it is not bad to have some small ones remain?"

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

Arnyn smiled when Pele said that saving a life came before taking someone else's. "Yes. It does," she confirmed, with a soft yet decisive tone. "And so you see, Relic's words are aimed at nothing else but to wound you. Saving Mourgan instead of attacking Relic was the right decision, Pele. She grasped at thin air when she claimed your decisions cause other people harm. Your decision saved Mourgan. It pains me to see how her words have wedged their way into your heart. For they could not be more untrue."

She mirrored Pele's small smile, although Arnyn's grew after Pele spoke. "That sounds about right, actually." The words were spoken into the room in such a genuine and down to earth way, they just seemed true rather than humorous. "We all have cracks. Even our newest rangers do." A shrug. "And one member of a group recognizes another. So, too, do the cracked recognize their own."

Arnyn's hand lightly brushed at a stray tear on Pele's cheek. "Do you still trust me, Pele?" She paused, her expression now serious, looking her friend in the eyes. "If you cannot find yourself to shake Relic's words by your own beliefs, but you do still trust me... then can you try and trust that I am right in this? That I know who you are - still, and now? That your decisions protect, not harm. That you are worthy of friendship and admiration? That Relic was a poison to you - but that her poison, like any other, can be extracted in part and fade for the rest? Do I still hold your trust in such a way, that you would trust that when I say these things, they are true?"

She lightly squeezed one of Pele's hands again - the one she was still holding after letting go of the second to brush away that tear. "The extraction is done. Now it needs to fade. There is no rushing that, Master Healer." A soft smile mastered her features. "As you well know."

@Rillewen
Barracks - Mess Hall

"Of course," she smiled in return when Duinion revealed Trastion's comment. She even chuckled softly to herself. Trastion had in several ways been a joy to take under her wing. Clearly he had imparted some of that joy onto Duinion as well. Perhaps he would do so again, the next time they trained together. Arnyn knew Trastion was quite capable, even without the involvement of any coffee.

Her plate was nearly finished, and she noted Duinion's meal disappearing quickly as well. Knowing what she knew so far, she figured he would want to get out of here as fast as he could. But it would be difficult for him to leave alone unless he left his tray on the table. "When you're done," she said, no louder than necessary for only the Tirdinen to hear, "I can take your tray back along with my own, if you want. No need for both of us to make the trip." It wasn't about a wasted trip, of course. It was about not making him any more uncomfortable than he already was, once he was ready to leave. About not putting Duinion in the position to explicitly ask for help, when it was obvious to Arnyn that he did not like asking for it. Perhaps especially so from her. It might even annoy him that she was offering, she realized. But if she couldn't win either way, why not act on what she thought was the best way?

"How is Hattie, by the way?" Arnyn asked then, perhaps somewhat suddenly backtracking to the moment he had mentioned the dog. "Still her usual bundle of energy?" She'd grown to quite like the dog, between the incident with Brian and their encounter at the dairy farm.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

When he had sat down, Duinion had really not felt much like eating. Despite getting plenty of food on his tray, he hadn't felt much of an appetite. Yet, somehow, during the period of time he had been sitting here, in between talking with Arnyn, his food had disappeared. When she suggested taking his tray when he was done, he glanced down and blinked to realize how little of the food was left. If it weren't for the feeling of a full stomach, he might have thought someone had robbed food off his tray. He must have eaten faster than he realized. Old habits die hard, or so he'd heard. And it seemed evident, at least in this.

"Oh, thank you," He answered, a little awkward about the tray situation, but also somewhat grateful that she had the graciousness to make the offer in such a way that it just seemed like something anyone might do just because... rather than because he obviously needed the help. Finishing off a last bite, he pushed the tray away to signify he was finished.

The question about Hattie was a little surprising, and he smiled faintly as he finished chewing the last bite. He washed it down with the last of his water before answering. "Yes, energetic as always," he smiled. "Eryn's been trying to teach her to fetch arrows, to help out when the arrows miss the target. But..." He hesitated, trying to think how to put this. "Well, it tends to result in a lot of chewed up and ruined arrows, so... I think she's reconsidering this idea." He shrugged and smiled a little. "Unfortunately, there have been a lot of them getting lost, lately."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Barracks - Mess Hall

After finishing her own plate, Arnyn started stacking their plates and trays, also including - after a gesture to check whether she could - those of the Ranger she'd been discussing Pete's best meal with.

"Energetic is good," she claimed with a smile. When Duinion said Eryn had been trying to teach Hattie to fetch arrows, Arnyn slanted her head. "It's a good idea, really," she acknowledged. "And a learning curve is to be expected. If she sticks with it, Hattie could gain a useful skill." Lost arrows, though? "That you and Eryn cannot find either?" she mused. Duinion's smile, though, made her suspect he had an idea of why they were getting lost. "I'm sure you will figure that out. That is, if you haven't already." She smiled faintly. "Luckily you have been making so many arrows that you could supply the former Gondorian army," she jested while rising to her feet.

With the stacked trays in her hands, she said her goodbyes to the rangers nearby. "Well, my day isn't quite over yet. So good evening, everyone. See you around."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

Duinion was glad to be done already, since that meant he could leave this crowded place. Eating swiftly still had advantages, then, he thought with mild humor as he retrieved his crutch. Meanwhile, Arnyn had begun offering to take other's trays, and he couldn't help a tiny smile. Very thoughtful, covering her actions so that it didn't appear she was giving him special treatment because of his injury. Or at least, that's how he perceived it.

As she replied to what he had said about Hattie, he shrugged. "Perhaps, if she could calm down, it would be useful." he agreed. "She just gets so excited about every little thing. Perhaps in time.. but for now, I have to keep my arrows out of her reach. Which is a difficult task, with how many I have made, and the fact I can't access as many places as I normally could."

He paused as she expressed curiosity about his mention of losing arrows. Ah, right. He realized that Arnyn would not yet know about the children, but it seemed she was preparing to go on her way. So, he decided not to get into that. "It can be rather difficult to find them in the tall grass, after they've missed the target." he answered simply. Maybe another time he would explain more. "Good evening, Lieutenant." he answered with a nod. After a brief glance around the room, he failed to spot Trastion anywhere, and wondered whether he had made it to the mess hall yet or not. Not feeling eager to remain any longer without need, he made his way out, deciding to get some fresh air outside before it was time to go to the dorms.

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

Pele looked thoughtfully at Arnyn, as she mentally pushed aside the weariness to listen to the words. She wanted to trust and accept that it had to be so, that Arnyn would not flatter or straight out tell lies even when what was said sounded too good to be true. And yet - if she did not make a decision to move on now that she actually had a chance would she ever be able to have a life and not a mere survival.

"I trust you," she eventually managed and returned a light squeeze of hand. "It might not necessarily come easy now... the wounds run deep. I was in mourning, in pain, locked away with nothing to do but ruminate on poisonous words. I learned to doubt everything, even my right to existence." Pele found herself trying to hold on to the ray of hope that was now shining through the torn heavy blanket of things she had just mentioned. "And no, I doubt it can be rushed, but perhaps there are ways to assist that fading."

"You do mean all that you have said, right?" she questioned, just to be sure, a smile reappearing after a shadow had briefly touched her face again. "It wouldn't be like you to tell fairy tales just like that. And fancy names and all... the meaning of which I'd gladly aspire to even if I might need some support in doing so."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

She smiled when Pele said she did in fact trust her. And that there might be ways to assist in the fading. Yes. Good.

The smile remained when Pele immediately checked in again, to verify whether Arnyn was not only painting a pretty picture. "You know me, Pele," Arnyn said, slanting her head. "I don't sugarcoat things." Her smile grew a little when her friend mentioned the nickname, and she let go of Pele's hand to pick up her friend's half eaten food from the table and offer it back to her. "I mean all of it. And you know I have your back, Captain."

"As for the name... A proper nickname for you has long been overdue. It has never taken me such a long time before." Her eyes grew questioning. "You don't mind, right? Even though you're not officially a Hyandaner anymore?" she asked, referring to the past division practice of devising nicknames for its members.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

"I know that you don't tend to beat around the bush," Pele said and shook her head a little. "But it is easier to accept some things than others, well yes..."

She accepted the food and then nodded towards the remaining provisions. "You should also eat something, Nyn," she mentioned, laughed softly, and then continued: "It was you who came here with food saying that you hadn't eaten anything all day, hmm? And whatever will I do if you fainted because of starvation? Who'll have my back then?"

Pele munched on a few morsels of roll, meeting the question in her friend's eyes with a glint in hers. "I might not be a Hyandaner by name now, but so what? And how can I object? You calling me that cleared away the mist of anger back in that mess hall, and I remembered what matters more and... who I am? Enough to act on it. How'd you eventually come by it though?"

The Captain finished off what was left of her bread and cheese, and looked at the collection of food before turning her eyes back to Arnyn curiously. "Perhaps a habit we should adapt for our current Rangers..." she muttered in between the bites of another bit of cheese she had reached for and popped into her mouth. She felt thankful for a small break to talk of other things though it was clear that they would have to return to discussing the next steps in dealing with the situation at hand.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

She shrugged when Pele said she should eat something herself. "Right you are," she agreed, before giving Pele a weird look. "I think any Ranger will have your back if they see you need someone to watch it."

The smile turned absolutely brilliant when Pele basically said it she might not be a Hyandaner by name now. She was basically implying she would always be one at heart - or that was, at least, what Arnyn heard. And her friend's continued words, of how the nickname Faelind had helped her when she needed it most... It simply made her happy.
"How?" she repeated the question. "It was not very difficult, in the end. The best nicknames just come to you," she said, still wearing that same smile. "And so it did."

She returned to the bowl to pick a few grapes and pop one into her mouth. "Funny you should say that. For it's not just yours that has come to me of late," she admitted. "Kaylin and Trastion have also been 'named', if you can call it that. Although I've not shared them with anyone." Her smile turned into a grin. "They're not as inspirational as yours, I must admit."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

"I don't doubt any Ranger's willingness to stand for me," Pele waved her hand as if to dispel doubts and reached for more cheese with the same movement. "However," she paused thinking of how to put it best. "You know much more of my inner workings, and that is a slightly different level. Perhaps other Rangers are not that bold to get through all my layers when I am not willing to shed them."

"I figure nicknames are a sort of talent you have," the Captain managed a light laugh. "I would probably link Kaylin and Trastion to some sort of nicknames related to mischief, though they surely have some inspiration about them too. Care to share, or will you still hold that secret to yourself?"

Pele then munched on the cheese in silence and eyed Arnyn with a lingering amusement in her inquisitive look. She was in no haste to return to the topic of planning the next steps to take now that Relic had been eliminated, though that was inevitable. It felt refreshing to speak of other, more everyday, matters first as she tried to dispel some of the weariness. Like a breather break in between the rounds of some fighting competition.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

Pele's claim that Arnyn knew her much better than the other rangers did, made Arnyn shrug one shoulder and grab one of the rolls. Now she'd started eating something, she realized how hungry she really was. She almost laughed when Pele said the others might not be as bold to force themselves through her layers. "One could also say they respect your boundaries," she said quietly. "Part of me is still sorry about what I did in that meeting in Nárië, Pele." After a sigh, she took a pensive bite of the roll.

The slight switch of topic to the nickname business, made Arnyn smile again. A talent for nicknames? Ha! "Perhaps," she allowed, her dark eyes gleaming. "Although you have also made the obvious connection." She seemed to consider Pele's request of sharing. "Well. Usually I would share them with the people themselves first, or the group as a whole. Then again, you are the Captain. You should have veto power, or something of the sort."

"Trastion is a suitable name for him in and by itself," Arnyn began soberly. "And his nickname is less inspired than yours, as I mentioned earlier. I'd name him Taras. Thinking of tarastië - trouble - and tarasta - to trouble - in certain old dialects... He himself has told me he has a way of finding trouble, or trouble has a way of finding him. After the whole midsummer business with Relic and Tras at headquarters, I agree." She shook her head, grinning. "I've been saying it to him, Taras, from time to time, here and there - but he hasn't reacted to it. Probably because it is so close to 'Tras', which I've been calling him for a while now." She paused. "It can also mean mount, or hill. And he definitely has at least one to conquer." She could not tell Pele her full reasoning for the nickname she'd thought of for Trastion, but she could give her explanation a slight reframe so she would not be speaking of things he had told her in confidence. "As a Ranger Recruit, he still has much to learn. And taras also for tower - for life has brought him to the Tower of Guard. To us."

"As for Kaylin..." Arnyn finished the piece of bread first, then rolled her eyes. "She's very... temperamental. Unapologetic. Dangerous. Like fire, that can sometimes go wild. But she's also warm and someone you want to be around. Like a campfire to ward off the chill of night. I'd call her Ruin. For the Sindarin ruin, fiery red. For the Quenya ruinë, blaze or fire. The color of her hair is a happy coincidence, for it makes it all the more suitable. And from what I've seen, she can leave enemies in ruins... and I've heard it said she can do the same with a mess hall or a common room. Or a bar stool. Or a street somewhere - though that one wasn't exactly in ruins." The Lieutenant lifted an eyebrow. "So the meaning of the nickname in the common tongue is, in a way, also applicable."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

"I suppose..." Pele murmured, understanding that it was very likely that her attitude of wearing a strong front and refusing to talk would have made people unlikely to test the boundaries even if they noticed something was wrong. At any rate, having been made to speak openly had provided a very necessary breakthrough, even if it was very unpleasant. Yet, Pele did not continue along this particular line of thought, and gladly entertained the topic of nicknames.

"I might have made connections, but it did not occur to me to think of nicknames," she laughed, and then waved off Arnyn's mention of veto power. "I'm sure your choice of names would be excellent since you give much thought to it."

She listened to the reasoning her friend provided for the particular nicknames while filling up a mug with water and sipping from it with considerable relish.

"Taras and Ruin, then. I can't find any reason to disagree: the meanings are manifold and rather apt," Pele remarked and then thought to herself that while she had interacted with Kaylin and could say she knew her rather well, it was not so with Trastion. She had made general observations, but it appeared to her that he was rather evasive. Engrossed in solving her own problems, Pele had not had time and energy to pursue the matter, but then again it seemed that Arnyn was developing good relations with the Recruit. It would more than suffice to know that the young man was in good hands, trouble or no trouble.

"You certainly have a way of dealing with people," the Captain said after a pause. "Seeing right through to the heart of a matter."

Steward of Gondor
Recruit Trastion Leithor
Outside Barracks
Sometime shortly after Trastion enlisted

The air was chilly tonight. Trastion's fingers felt cold from digging in the mud. He'd been at it for at least half an hour. This was his second time this week, sneaking out at night to search for his missing belongings. It had not been long ago when the Lieutenant had been pushed in the mud in this same area. And had confiscated everything out here in the yard. While Trastion had initially feared that his cherished belongings would end up in the lieutenant's office, he also couldn't quite believe that Brian would have found them, when Trastion could not. That darned dog hadn't had time to bury anything very deep, right?

Yet here he was, with a stick, trying to dig and sift through the dirt and mud in hopes of finding the things he had lost. It had been in this area where he found the ripped up, chewed up leather pouch they'd fallen out of. So, it was reasonable to suspect they should be close to this spot. But, he'd yet to find any trace of a ring, or a medallion, or the little figure Linn had made for him. Hopefully the dog hadn't swallowed any of them...

Sitting back on his heels after a while, Trastion let out a sigh and stared up at the moon, thinking. He couldn't stay out here very long, he knew. And he couldn't make a pattern of these night-time diggings, either. He stood up with another sigh, stamped down as many clods of loosened dirt as he could, and crept back inside to the washroom, where he would wash the mud off of his hands and clothes as much as possible. He'd give it a week or so before he came back out to search, and vary it up as much as he could so that his search attempts would not be predictable to folks such as Brian who would, surely, be irate to see the state of his 'garden patch' in the morning. Maybe another night, he would check the stable yard, where he had wrestled with Hattie before she fled... something could have fallen out of the pouch at that point, he realized.

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Stable yard
Shortly before Midsummer

Poking a stick (or his hands) into gloppy mud had been quite fun when he was a child. It still had a certain level of satisfaction to it, in fact, but the frustration at being unable to find his belongings was really starting to get frustrating. Trastion had 'combed' the whole muddy paddock, using a long-ish stick to probe the depths of mud. If not for the steady rainfall pouring down, there would have been an odd pattern in the muddy circular area, as if it had literally been combed. The rain washed it away, along with the mud on his clothes and hands. Trastion pushed his wet hair back from his forehead, wondering how he would ever find anything even if it was down in there. Deciding he wasn't going to make any progress tonight, he climbed back over the fence and went to get cleaned up and into dry clothes, and get some sleep before morning. He'd try again in a couple of days, maybe, or he might go back to searching the garden behind the barracks...

Recruit Trastion Leithor
General grounds of ranger commons
Mid-July

The moon was full tonight, shining with surprising brightness around the grounds. Trastion moved a cluster of grass apart, positioning himself so that he wouldn't block the light, and peered closely, hoping to find some glint of metal there, or feel the coldness of it. Nothing but grass and dew. He got up and moved to inspect some bushes bordering one of the buildings, hoping for better luck there. There was too many shadows around and under the bushes, unfortunately, and he found it difficult to tell anything by sight, but he felt the ground around them as well as he could. No foreign objects like a ring, or a medallion. Or even the fabric animal figure. He sighed and moved to check around the roots of a tree outside of the headquarters building.

After a while, he realized that the moon had shifted to a different portion of the sky, and that meant a good deal of time had passed. Maybe an hour or two. Still, no luck. He let out a sigh and rubbed his eyes. He was quite tired, and these night-time searches were getting to him. Not only the continued frustration of not being able to find what he sought, but the time it took, in the middle of the night, to conduct the searches, was a cutting into his sleep. Not to mention having to keep his 'schedule' randomized and not easily predictable, so that a certain lieutenant would not be as likely to catch him at it. Still, it was risky... and yet, he also liked to think of it as some unofficial training of sorts. What if he someday had to sneak past an enemy who was just as obsessively watchful as the barrack's master... He grinned to himself at that thought as he crept up the stairs and to his dorm. There was also the matter of not waking his roommate; also 'training' for future events. Right?

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Common Room
Early August

Collapsing on a couch near one of the unlit fireplaces, a quiet groan of exhaustion emerged from Trastion's throat. He couldn't even be bothered to make his way up to the dorm before supper, as he would only have to come back down again if he wanted to eat. And he did want to eat. He was starving, having been training very hard, all day. It had been a mistake to spend even twenty minutes searching through the dirt in the garden, last night. At least it was easier, with Lieutenant Brian still in the houses of healing after the fire, but with Trastion's increased training schedule, he was regretting the time spent not sleeping during the night.

Up until the day of the fire, Trastion had begun to feel more and more convinced that his belongings were not in the grounds at all. But then, when people brought up buckets full of dirt from Brian's garden to throw on the fire, he had found the little figure his sister had made him, mixed in with that dirt! And while he couldn't exactly ask anyone where that particular bucket of dirt had been dug up from, it vanquished any doubts he had begun to have. His things were in that patch of dirt. They must be! His father's ring, and his brother's medallion were all that was left to find. And yet, those were the most valuable. Of course.

After the fire, when he'd found himself sharing a room with Unalmis, Trastion had ended up admitting about his secret digging sessions to his new roommate, after learning that some suspicion had been cast onto Nal himself. Apparently, the barracks master had even accused Nal of still hiding a dog in the barracks! And then, when Nal offered to help him search, Trastion had been quite glad for the company. Plus, he figured it was a great time to search, with the lieutenant in the houses of healing, the captain and other lieutenant busy and distracted by the recent destruction to the North wind... and the ground already dug up and everything. He hoped that maybe something new would turn up. But nothing had. Nothing, but a few bones Hattie must have buried long ago, and some worms and bugs that had been disturbed by all the digging. Although, it had been rather fun, he had to admit. Much more fun than searching by himself.

Still, it was feeling more and more like a hopeless attempt. For months now, he had been searching. And for months, his efforts had been fruitless. And, since recently telling Arnyn about the loss of his brother's medallion, her question in return had been slightly alarming. He didn't want her to catch him red muddy-handed, because then she might have to report him, and he'd get in trouble probably. And she was currently taking Brian's place, running the barracks. So, he also didn't want her to get in any trouble. So, he was beginning to feel as if he had hit a dead end. Not to mention how much more intense his training had become since that talk with Lt. Arnyn at the training grounds, almost a week ago already. He wouldn't have time to keep searching and keep up this intense training schedule, yet he hated to give up the search entirely.

His dilemma was circling around in his head as he lay sprawled on the rather comfortable couch, one arm thrown across his face to block the light out. Maybe he'd get a nap before supper. But, he couldn't seem to get his mind to shut off. Well, at least he could rest his body for a little while, even if his mind didn't want to do the same. His limbs were weary, he was aching all over from various the muscles he was using much more than previously, and from a few bruises from sparring, and a few times he'd fallen off of the devices in the obstacle course. And he was hot and tired, and couldn't seem to get enough water to keep hydrated. And tomorrow, it would start all over again...

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

Pele's agreement to the chosen nicknames brought an open smile to Arnyn's face. "Why, thank you, Captain," the Lieutenant declared with a small flourish, after Pele said she thought Taras and Ruin were indeed suitable.

Her friend's next words, though, brought about a response from Arnyn which was likely not one that was to be expected. Her gaze became evasive, for she looked away. "I do not know about that." Her dark eyes did not return to Pele, and Arnyn shrugged lightly with one shoulder. "A way of dealing with some people, perhaps. Others..." She held back a sigh. "I am not too sure of." And that had been bothering her - more than she would have preferred, but really only just as much as she would have expected. The experience was new. And it did not sit well.

But what should she have done, in order not to alienate Isys from herself so? Not taken the risk which had helped Pele take an important step forward? Not asked the questions she had needed to ask in order to try and make sense of all that had been going on? Any way Arnyn looked at it, she would have gotten stuck somehow. Somewhere.

And in regard to Duinion - should Arnyn simply have left him to his own devices? Perhaps. But then what kind of leader would that make her?

"Time will tell, I suppose." Whatever she was feeling, this was far from the time to lay any of it on Pele, who had more than enough to deal with already. Arnyn forced her gaze back to her friend, and managed a small smile. "And I can only rejoice in the faith you are extending to me. Do you really think I can see through to the heart of a matter, Pelepele?" That was an amazing compliment, as far as Arnyn was concerned. She even laughed briefly, seeing the joke. "Almost sounds like sorcery, doesn't it?"

@Rillewen

Barracks - Barracks Master's Office --> Common Room
Early August

Running the barracks in Lieutenant Brian's absence so far had been... challenging to describe. The anal attention to detail Brian gave to his logs and ledgers had allowed Arnyn to step right in. On that point, she had no complaints. None.

On the maturity of some of the Rangers rooming in the barracks? There, she had some. How two people could argue so vehemently over a clothing chest that keeps pushing 5 inches too far the the left, was beyond her. Arnyn had demanded the rangers involced to physically show her what the problem was. And once they had, she had simply stared at them both until their necks had turned red. She had not heard from them since then - and it had been a few days ago now, so Arnyn considered the matter resolved. (It might have had something to do with her having told them that - should they not be able to settle this themselves and come to some kind of agreement - she would simply have all chests and closets removed from their room. That way, there would be no argument in the first place.)

There had been one thing about Brian's office, though. One thing that had been irking her. There was a ton of stuff in there... that clearly was not his. And Arnyn hadn't had the time, frankly, to look through his endless ledgers to see in which one he might have written down what it all was! Instead, she'd gone through some of the stuff and had been all at once confused, amused and intrigued at what she had found.

On her way from the office to the dorms, she passed by the common room. A familiar silhouette was sprawled across the closest couch. A smile tugged at her lips as she leaned against the doorframe. "Ahh. Taras. Don't tell me you're giving up already, after only a week?" she teased.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion

@Arnyn

Pele would not have made much of the topic related to people-knowing but she found Arnyn's reaction rather intriguing. She observed her friend for a while and then gave her the space and diverted the attention to refill her glass of water and then empty almost half of it in one go before she turned back to watching and listening.

"I suppose it is not possible to always deal perfectly with every person, but you still have a way..." Pele began to insist, and then paused when she saw that Arnyn would continue. An earnest smile settled on the Captain's features and erased some of the marks of weariness. "I've watched you work before, and have done so as much as I could now. You observe, you watch, you dig deep to understand the people, the essence of who they are and why they do what they do. Even if it takes time, and even if it doesn't seem to bring results that quickly."

Pele took another sip of water, then shrugged, joined in with her own soft laugh, and added: "Sorcery? Perhaps, of a more subtle kind. Besides... A pity you already have a nickname, Arnyn, else I would give you one. I'd call you Tirnidhren."

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Common Room
Early August

"Ahh. Taras. Don't tell me you're giving up already, after only a week?"

Moving his arm from his face, Trastion looked toward the sound of Arnyn's voice and managed a faint smile. "Giving up? No. Just.. tired." He answered. He had been somewhat close to dozing off, but figured maybe he'd better not. He didn't want to miss supper, and didn't actually know how much time there was until the meal would be served.

Instead, he made an effort to sit up, and rubbed his eyes. "Do you need something, lieutenant?" He wondered, glancing over at her as it occurred to him that she might have come looking for him for some reason. A task of some sort, perhaps. He was tired, but if she had something she needed him to do, he'd do his best, tired or not.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

Arnyn watched Pele with a thoughtful smile. Her friend's words meant a lot to her, and might help hold her self-doubt at bay. "I can assure you I am not a sorceress," she joined Pele in the soft laugh. "And I do feel like such a nickname would be giving me too much credit in one regard. My old one feels like a more suitable fit." Axinacelumë. "People can read into that one what they may." Whether they got along with her or not. "Or perhaps I am simply more used to it. Humans are creatures of habit, after all. But all that be as it may. For you, 'Nyn' will do." She was not a fan of the abbreviation being used by just anyone. In fact, it felt wrong when most people used it. There were only a handful of exceptions. Other than Pele herself, she did not believe she would prefer any of the other ranger who were currently around to use it.

Falling silent, the Lieutenant busied herself with eating some more, thus allowing Pele to do the same - facilitated as it was by the mood having lightened. For the time being.

Yet such a luxury would, of course, not be permitted to last long. There was much to talk about. Much to consider. Much to do. However, Arnyn was confident that Pele and she could manage it. Together.

@Rillewen

Barracks - Common Room
Early August

The tired, faint smile on Trastion's face kept her own smile on hers. "Need?" she repeated, casually rolling her eyes as she stepped into the common room. "Not exactly. Now that I have you here, though, I would like to verify something with you, however."

The Lieutenant gave the room a quick scan. It seemed abandoned, with Trastion and herself as the only ones there. "We are alone?" she questioned quietly, just loud enough for him to hear. Upon his confirmation, she took a seat next to him - leaving about half a person in between them. "Last week you told me about your brother's medallion," she continued in the same soft tone of voice. "Can you tell me what it looks like? Then I can help keep an eye out for it," she added as some form of explanation for the question.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Common Room
Early August

Tilting his head in curiosity, Trastion waited to hear what it was that the Lieutenant wished to verify with him. He was weary, and a little sleepy, but whatever this was, might be important. So, when she asked whether they were alone, he took a quick glance around, and nodded. He'd been half asleep for a few minutes there, and he wasn't totally sure. Still, if there was anyone else around, they would have to be out of sight.

When he heard Arnyn's inquiry, Trastion shifted a tiny bit more upright and blinked as he felt instantly more awake. Why was she asking about the medallion? He wondered about that for half a second before the lieutenant explained. He nodded slightly and turned to face her now that she was seated near him. "It's about so big around," He held up his hands to form a circle, near the size of the item. "It's like, a metal oak tree inside of a circle. Fairly simply made, but.. also sort of detailed, if that makes sense." He paused, conjuring an image of it in his mind. "The circle part, the metal is twisted like rope or something. And the trunk looks sort of like it's braided, then the roots look sort of like they're all woven together before meeting the circle. The top part, with the branches, there's a few oak leaves and acorns, and the limbs sort of fan out so it touches most of the top and sides of the circle."

He sighed softly and went on, "There is.. or was.. a leather string through a little circle at the top. He used to wear it around his neck, but the string got worn and broke one day when I was wearing it. That's why I had it in the pouch, instead of wearing it." He explained. "It might not still have the string," he added. "If Hattie chewed it..." He cringed slightly at the thought of that. He couldn't really say what the metal was, as he didn't know. "I'm beginning to suspect that she may have swallowed it, to be honest," He grumbled. "Or else, she's carried it off somewhere I haven't thought of looking..."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn

Barracks - Common Room
Early August

Her expression remained thoughtful, not giving away much in the way of a response as she listened. Every single part of the description fit with the item she had in her pocket. It had to be the same one. It was too specific to be another. By the Valar. Trastion had been looking for this for months. All this time, Lieutenant Brian had simply had it in one of his desk drawers.

Would he be upset that it had been right there, sitting in an office, all the times he had gone searching and digging (or so she assumed) for it? Or perhaps he might think it was funny. He might be tired enough to laugh at his own powerlessness over the situation. More than anything, though, Arnyn was convinced that Trastion would be happy to have it returned.

"I do not believe she has," Arnyn said slowly, withdrawing the item from her pocket and holding it up. The encircled oak tree bounced the light back as she changed the angle. "No string, though... Sorry," she added quietly, doing Trastion the favor of not closely watching his facial expression this time. Instead, she looked at the medallion as she held it out toward him.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Common Room
Early August

Trastion hadn't been entirely serious about thinking Hattie could have swallowed the medallion. For one thing, he suspected it was too big around to fit down the dog's throat, but also, he suspected that it would have caused some issues with her stomach if that were the case, and he hadn't heard anything of the sort from Nal. Still, he shrugged slightly when the lieutenant expressed her doubts about that possibility.

Before he had a chance to ask her anything about her reasons for saying so, his gaze landed on the thing in her hand. His jaw dropped, eyes widening as he grabbed the medallion eagerly. "You found it!" He didn't even try to contain his joy, hugging the little metal item to his chest happily. "I can't believe this! Where was it?" He wondered, looking in amazement at Arnyn, then down at the medallion with a big smile.

"I'm getting a chain this time, a good strong one that won't break easily." He declared, closing his hand tight around it, then looked back at her in curiosity as he waited to learn where it had been all this time. It seemed unreal that after all these months of searching, he told Arnyn about it a week ago and she had already found it.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen (and @Ercassie)

Barracks - Common Room
Early August

His utterly exuberant response made her smile broadly. The surprise and genuine happiness in his voice, the way he clung the medallion to his chest - it made her happy in turn. She laughed softly when he looked at her, amazed, asking her where she had found it.

"A strong chain seems like a good idea," she answered first, smiling broadly. "I know from experience that they work very well." She tapped the sapphire she wore daily, on a chain of her own. Bandage or not, she had not taken it off to avoid friction. "As to where it was hiding... Don't look at me like I'm made of magic," she laughed. The amusement on her face was plain. "It wasn't in the barracks yard, for one." Leaning back against the cushions of the couch, she spread her hands for a moment. "As it turns out, temporarily running this place comes with at least one perk." She grinned, lights sparking in brown eyes. "A whole set of keys, not only to a certain office but also to all the cupboards and drawers in it."

She shrugged a shoulder. "You might also want to tell Unalmis he is free to come pick up some things when I'm around. There was um... a whole set of stuff I imagine that belong to him." The dog paws... the dirt... the scene she had witnessed a good while ago. The report she had read. It all matched up.

Her grin returned as she dropped her hands again and looked at Trastion. "So. You might not have recovered everything. But after what you told me, and when I saw this in one of the drawers..." The grin grew. "Happy?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Common Room
Early August

The grin on his face was practically ear to ear as he looked down at the recovered medallion in his hand, nodding slightly as Arnyn spoke a bit about the idea of a chain. He had, of course, noticed her necklace plenty of times, and it had often made him think of what he was missing. Which he was no longer missing, thankfully. Indeed, it almost did seem like magic, in a way, but he knew that was silly. Simply telling the lieutenant what he was missing had helped her to find when he had not been able to.

As she revealed where that was, he let out a half-laugh, half-sigh and leaned his head back against the couch's back. "Of course." There was no way he would have been able to find it, there. He could have groaned at all his wasted time and effort. But, instead, he let out a little laugh, privately amused at a certain thought that occurred to him. Brian had done an injustice to him and Nal that day, had confiscating something of Trastion's without cause, without even knowing it was his, which in turn had left Trastion searching frantically for his belongings... and in return? He'd had to deal with the frustration of having his garden dug up repeatedly over the last several months. Trastion wondered which of them was more upset, and decided the barracks master, probably. Since he still had not solved his mystery.

"Thank you, so much." He turned to the nicer lieutenant, and smiled. "I'll be sure and pass the message along," he added with a slight grin. "Yes, very happy," he assured her, though he hesitated slightly. His smile faded slightly as he leaned a little closer, looking hopeful, and more serious. "You didn't happen to come across a ring too, by any chance?" He asked, in a hushed tone. "A signet ring, with an oak tree and two crossed axes on it? That's the only other thing I'm missing, now. And.. well, while this is extremely valuable to me, technically, the ring is quite a bit more valuable... being what it is, so I'm afraid of what may happen if some random person were to find it. It belonged to my father, and his father, and his father..." he trailed off, figuring she got the idea.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Barracks - Common Room
Early August

"You're welcome," she smiled in return. The question that followed, however, made her frown. He had lost a ring, as well? A ring with an oak tree and two crossed axes?!

"A ring." She shook her head. "No ring. Not even one that doesn't look like part of a certain sigil," she added quietly, emphasizing the last word of that sentence by lowering her voice further - to no more than a whisper. "Are you saying you lost that, too?" There was an urgent edge to her voice. "That may very well mean something to people - if found by or delivered to the wrong person. Even without the bear."

Arnyn was trying hard not to sound exasperated, and while she was succeeding this far, she was finding it most difficult. It was just one thing after the other!

To calm herself down, she drew in a slow breath and ran a hand through her hair. She wanted to ask Trastion if there was anything else he hadn't told her yet but could prove dangerous to his safety. First, the letters had thrown her. Now, it was this ring. Was there more he would drop on her at some point, to increase her concern about the possible discovery of his true identity?
And yet, regardless of his answer, what would it change? She would still try her best to keep him safe. And the more doubt or concern she showed, would it not serve any other purpose than to increase Trastion's own anxiety?

"Is there anything else you lost that might be in Lieutenant Brian's keeping?" she ended up asking, her words sounding a bit more measured than she had intended.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Common Room
Early August

Sighing softly in disappointment, Trastion sat back. No ring. Unfortunate. But he turned his gaze back to the medallion in his hands and squeezed it lightly. At least he had this. While he wasn't exactly superstitious, and he didn't entirely believe that the medallion would bring good luck, he couldn't help feeling as if things might get a little better now.

"Yes, it was in the pouch Hattie grabbed." He answered quietly, realizing how bad it could be if the wrong people found it. But it wasn't like he'd just been sitting on his hands, waiting for it to turn up. He wondered whether the dog might have swallowed that. Was there anything else that Brian might have taken? He shook his head slightly. "No, that's the only thing I'm missing, now," He assured her, "I can't think of anywhere else to look for it," He sighed. "I just hope no one else has already found it. I have no idea how I'd even find out, if that were the case."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Barracks - Common Room
Early August

At least there was nothing else... "Alright," she drawled, before shaking her head. "I am sure you have looked everywhere you could. If you have not found it by now, any additional efforts will probably be in vain. And we cannot find out whether anyone has found it without asking around and describing it - which is the last thing we want to do. Everyone knows that any lost and found items in the barracks should be turned in with the barracks master, so you can check in now and again, but other than that..." There was not much point in discussing it further. "At least you can cherish that, now," she decided to end on a more positive note, casting a glance at the medallion, followed by a smile at Trastion.

Leaning back again, she closed her eyes for a moment. "Meanwhile, how is the roommate situation treating you?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Common Room
Early August

Trastion tilted his head as he glanced at Arnyn, vaguely wondering if that was meant to be a subtle way of discouraging him from digging up the lieutenant's garden any more. He was half-amused, and half-relieved, almost as if he were released from any obligation of continuing his search. She made a good point, of course. That it would really serve no further purpose, since he'd already searched quite thoroughly. And clearly, his efforts had been in vain when it came to the medallion, since it had never even been there to begin with.

He sighed and leaned his head back on the couch again, nodding slightly. "Yeah. Unless someone who isn't a ranger came across it, say in the street, or the houses of healing, or.. well, anywhere on the sixth circle, really." He mentioned.He had definitely considered these possibilities plenty of times before, and it was not very encouraging. He had even stopped in at some a couple of shops in the market where they sold used items and looked around, just in case anyone had found and sold it. At least he didn't think Hattie had had enough time to get to any other levels between the time she took his stuff and the time he saw her with Unalmis, burying things.

"Thank you, though." He smiled slightly as the lieutenant brought the topic back to his brother's tree medallion. "I was beginning to worry I'd never see it again," He brought the medallion up in his hand, hardly able to believe he was holding it, and looking at it, again, after so many months searching in desperation. He was already thinking of where to acquire a suitable chain to keep it on, and so was a bit caught off guard when she asked another question that had nothing to do with this.

Blinking, he glanced up. "Oh, it's been great." Trastion smiled in slight amusement at the recollection of the silly, fun stuff they'd gotten up to since being put all into the same room. "I get along well with both Unalmis and Romeran." He wasn't entirely sure whether Lt. Brian would agree that it had been 'great', considering some of the chaos (and mess) that had ensued from this setup, but he wasn't really very worried about that. Yet. "Honestly, I don't know how the other guys feel about it, but I wouldn't mind keeping it like this permanently." He added.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Barracks - Common Room
Early August

"That's good to hear." She smiled, her eyes still closed as she let herself enjoy the simple comfort of the soft couch cushions. "You can bond with roommates for life if you get along well," she claimed. Her eyebrow lifted and her eyes opened when he said he wasn't sure how the others felt about it. How could they not have spoken of this, at some point in the evening for example? If they were enjoying their time together, would they not have at least said something about hoping it would still last a while or wouldn't they have wondered if they would be allowed to continue to bunk together if they asked? Was each of them perhaps daunted by the possibility of one of the others saying they would like to return to the previous arrangement? Were men so afraid of rejection? That thought amused her. Or was it more related to their age?

"You could check in with them. Regardless, I think it will be a while before we can reopen the other wing. So the point will be moot for a time yet. And who knows what the verdict will be, once Lieutenant Brian makes his return to the barracks. He might not like two scourges occupying the same room any longer than absolutely necessary." Arnyn grinned. "For now he is blissfully unaware of any... results... of the new room arrangements," she disclosed, her tone deceptively light. "Just don't push the limits." After a quick smile, she rose to her feet. "So. As for the medallion, you're welcome. Don't forget to tell Unalmis about his things. And make sure it's a good chain. If the seller claims it is strong, ask if you can test its strength in the store before you buy it," she advised. "And make sure you don't have to pay for it, if it breaks," she laughed.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Common Room
Early August

Having been so busy the last week, Trastion actually felt almost like he hardly saw his roommates, but before then, it had been pretty fun. The loss of free time had made it difficult to spend any time with any of his roommates, and then by the end of the day he was too tired to stay up late and talk as he'd done before. He smiled slightly when Arnyn suggested checking with the other guys about it. "If I can stay awake that long." He joked. "I'm so tired. I hope I'll be more adjusted this coming week."

He fought against a grin that tried to come to his face when Arnyn mentioned Lt Brian being unaware of the situation. He shouldn't be smiling because of that. Because the guy was in the houses of healing, which was not a nice reason for him being gone and unaware of things. Still, the fact that he was gone made things tremendously more pleasant. "Thanks, Lieutenant," he smiled, and nodded in reply to her reminder. "I'll be sure to tell Unalmis. I'm sure he'll be glad to get his stuff back," He smiled, and laughed slightly. "I might ask Cali for recommendations for places to get a chain, she probably knows all the best places, right? Unless you have a place in mind that you recommend?"

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Barracks - Common Room
Early August

She shrugged lightly in response to his question. "Mine already came with a chain," she said quietly, not managing to keep her tone light for that. "And it has needed no repairs since. I know where I would take it if it were in need of repair or replacement, though. There is a jeweller in the Marketplace down on the Second, who has benefitted from Dwarven tutelage. I always forget what the place is called, but it's on the same stretch as the bakery owned by Mourgan's mother, and it has a sign with a diamond-shaped emerald on it. That is where I would go."

Heading for the door, Arnyn turned around one last time on the threshold. "It's about time for dinner to be served. I'd go catch the early bird shift if I were you. You look exhausted." After flashing Trastion a grin, the Lieutenant gave a small wave and then turned to leave.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Mess Hall, late August
@Arnyn

Pele had left the headquarters soon after she had sent the messenger off with a reply to that mysterious letter - the one she still had in hand, rolled up. Deciding that there was no time to waste, she made for the mess hall to see whether she could find Arnyn and discuss the matter. If there was indeed something left in that old mill it would be best to see about finding it, if it was perishable.

While it was not lunch time just yet, Pele knew that her friend liked to be early, so it was worth checking in here to see if she would arrive before going to search elsewhere. Stepping through the door, she stopped to let her eyes adjust from the bright sunlight outside and glanced about the spacious room expectantly as she fiddled with the missive.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Mess Hall, late August
@Pele Alarion

Arnyn was just coming from the kitchen back into the mess. Her hands carried a plate full of Sergeant Pete's creation of the day - she'd skipped breakfast (besides coffee, as was her habit) and she was hungry. It surprised her to see Pele entering the mess at the same time.

"Pelepele!" She smiled brightly at her friend and waved her over as she grabbed some utensils and took a seat at one of the tables. "Not used to seeing you here around this time. Coming to try out the early bird lunch with me?" Her eyes fell on the rolled up letter in Pele's hands. Combined with the uniform her friend was wearing... Arnyn sighed mentally. The odds were small at this being a social call or a spontaneous early visit to the mess, then. The Lieutenant nodded at the missive. "Or is this business, Captain?"

Barracks - Common Room, September
@Karis Ziranphel (Thûllir) @Ercassie (Unalmis) @Isolde Alarion (Mourgan) @Rillewen (Duinion, Trastion) @Romeran

The Captain had left yesterday morning. The Lieutenant had sent a few messages later that day. To certain Rangers who had not left for Belfalas, as Pele and Karis and Isys had. The messages had reached Duinion, Kaylin, Thûllir, Mourgan, Unalmis, Romeran and Trastion. Arnyn was sure of it, for she'd had the messenger report back once all messages had been delivered.

And so, she waited for these seven Rangers to show. She had invited them to come here today, by the third bell of the afternoon. Well. Invited - ordered - something along those lines. The message had not been too clear on that part. Arnyn saw it as an invitation. It tickled her funny bone that most of the rangers receiving it would read it as an order. The invitation had not been very specific. Just that they were not required to bring any ranger gear, weaponry or even wear the uniform. She wasn't wearing one herself, although the black fitting trousers, tall black boots and the sleeveless black top she wore somehow still evoked her chosen profession.

Early, as usual, Arnyn arrived shortly after the second bell. She felt like sketching, but had not brought her supplies for that. Drawing was something she did in private. Instead, she picked one of the books on the shelves of the common room, flopped down on one of the long couches, flipped her long braid back and started on a tale of an adventure out on the sea.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Barracks - Common Room, September

The message was quite intriguing. Trastion found it quite puzzling that he had been summoned to meet with the lieutenant, and yet, he was not required to bring any gear. Strange. That was a little bit unlike her, actually. But he was definitely not going to be late. He had just enough time after doing some archery training to come up to the dorm, clean up and change, and drop off his gear, before hastening back down to the common room.

He'd splashed some water on his face to clean away the sweat from the heat outside, and now his hair was damp. It also needed a trim, but he hadn't really had time to bother with it, after these last several weeks, he'd been too exhausted by the end of the day to ask anyone to help. He ran his hand through it to sweep it back from his face, hoping the water would keep it semi-plastered back that way.

Entering the common room expecting to be a few minutes early, he was somewhat surprised to find the lieutenant not only there already, but leisurely reading a book as if waiting. "Lieutenant," he greeted her with a salute, and a mildly puzzled look. The bell had not rung yet, so he knew he was not late. "Am I too early?" He was half joking there, and gave a faint smile in hopes of making that clear enough.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Mess Hall, late August
@Arnyn

Arnyn saw Pele first, not that the Captain minded it - at least she did not go looking all over the place.

"Business indeed," she responded with a sigh once she had approached the table Arnyn had chosen. "Though I might just as well eat lunch since I am here. I need your input on this though," she tossed the letter on the table next to her friend's plate. "Take a look while I find the edibles."

Turning around on her heel Pele set off for the kitchen to see if the cook would feed her as well, contented that this moment would likely be enough for her friend to read the letter. It took more than a moment in the kitchens though - Pele exchanged a few words with Sergeant Pete, and a laugh at a joke or two, and only then returned with a plate filled nearly to the brim and a cup of tea.

"It seems that Pete still thinks I need to gain some weight," Pele chuckled softly, as she settled at the table, and then turned her attention to the business. "So... what do you think of that letter?"