Rangers: Barracks & Stables

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Éowyn
Éowyn
The Sixth Circle houses the Rangers of Gondor, created by King Aragorn Elessar after the the War of The Ring.

BARRACKS

Living Quarters, Common Room, Mess Hall & Kitchen
Across the courtyard from the headquarters of the Rangers are the barracks - a sturdy four-storey building. The front door opens into an entrance hall. To the left is the Mess, to the right – the Common Room. Two long stairways lead upstairs. Right in front is the Barracks Master's office.

Mess Hall
The mess may be entered both from the entrance hall of the Barracks, and directly from the courtyard. Long tables with the benches run down the middle of the room. The mess can seat 600 people. Along the outside wall are large windows providing more natural light for the large hall. On the inside wall there are big fireplaces. All along the outer wall, under the windows, is a long buffet carved of hardwood. The Rangers can find the available drinks and food set there by the cooks. At both its ends are pumps providing fresh water from a natural spring.

There are also special meals for forces returning from or setting out on a mission. There is a smaller room outside the mess, sometimes referred to as the “little mess”. Here too there is a buffet, and a water pump. This buffet only serves fresh fruit, nuts, bread, honey and similar snacks. However, it remains open all day long.

Kitchens
Every Ranger knows the kitchens: everyone is required to do shifts there, helping with the washing and the cleaning, the unloading of merchandise brought early in the morning, and the bringing of items from the cellar, though never with the cooking. The kitchens take half the ground floor of the South Wing.

Pies are baked in many ovens, stew boils in huge cauldrons, pots and pans stand on the stoves. The bakery provides fresh bread and pastries, in the salad area fresh fruit and vegetables are cut, providing the Rangers with much-needed vitamins. Four big fireplaces are equipped for spit-roasting, but those are only used on special occasions. In the cooler cellars below, there are stores of cheeses, sausages, smoked meats and fish, apples, potatoes, as well as barrels of ale, mead, cider and wine. There's also a cellar filled with pre-packed field rations, ready in case the Rangers need to march with no time for preparation. It's said that even the rats avoid this cellar.

Chief of the kitchen staff is Sergeant Pete. He is a burly man with a mop of grey hair and merry grey eyes, who has been in the service for many years. He runs a tight kitchen and is very proud of the standard of the food he serves. Despite clear orders to the contrary, Sergeant Pete may sometimes allow Rangers into his kingdom to prepare their own food, if they stay out of his way and clean up any mess they make. However, he likes to remind them that this time is an exception and he would kick them out the next time.

Living Quarters
Two stairways lead off from the entrance hall of the barracks: one to the South Wing, and one to the North. The construction of both wings is similar: four floors. On each floor, a long hallway dotted with numerous doors lead away from the stairway. This is where the Rangers have their rooms and may find some necessary rest in between their duties. Each room has four beds, each with a heavy oaken chest at the foot for the storage of personal belongings. Two wardrobes stand on each side of the door, supplying ample room to store garments and even armour. A desk sits near the window, as well as a couple of simple chairs. But surely each occupant of the room adds his or her own personal touch to the room by how they arrange the things they bring along.

The officers live in the central wing, in private rooms a bit more spacious than those of the Rangers.

Common Room
The ground floor of the North Wing is taken by the common room, meant for the Rangers to rest in and enjoy each other's company or solitude - at times. It is spacious and has many large windows letting in the light. Several fireplaces have been built along the inner wall, and some armchairs have been placed before each. There are more armchairs, sofas and low tables around the room. Along one of the walls runs a bookcase filled with books for those who enjoy reading. It has a wide variety of literature beginning with some historical records and books on weaponry and ending with some volumes of poetry and fascinating stories.
Housing

Officer Quarters
Room # Name
Room 1
Room 2 Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Room 3 Captain Pele Alarion
North Wing
CLOSED TEMPORARILY DUE TO THE FIRE
Room # Name
Room 4 Ehtyar Ilisys Azrubêl
South Wing
Room # Name
Room 1 Ranger Unalmis Raxëlilta
Ranger Mourgan Alarion
Trainee Romeran
Recruit Trastion Leithor
Room 2 Recruit Dunulf (Abroad)
Ranger Beren Camlost (Abroad)
Ranger NPC
Ranger NPC
Room on top floor Ehtyar Ilisys Azrubêl
Ranger NPC
Ranger NPC
Ranger NPC
**Request for a room / changing rooms may be made in the Rangers OOC thread

STABLES

A smell of hay, oats and dark cedar meets anyone entering the stables of the Rangers. Even though there is a long line of stalls meant for the four-legged companions of the humans, not too many of those are occupied. There was enough room also for the horses any other Ranger had brought along, though few had any, since the horses were not of much use in the cobbled streets of the city.

Adjacent to the stables was a barn with the stacks of hay and stubble, and the sacks of grain for the horses. There were also tools for any necessary stable work to be performed: wheelbarrows, shovels and rakes, and an assortment of smaller tools for the purposes of grooming the animals. There was a neat stack of the blankets - for the horses, not for lazy stable-hands - and a great many saddles and other equipment needed to prepare the mounts for riding.

Locations (please post in the color indicated for each location)
Barracks: standard black
Stables: brown #804000

Guidelines for overall thread use:
Always indicate your name, rank, and location at the top of your post.
In character posts only, please.
If you must have an OOC comment, white it out, or even better - post in the HQ OOC thread.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion with Kaylin @Arnyn
Mess hall

All that talk about boots seemed to entertain Pele's guard, and she could see the briefest of smiles flicker across his face, only for a moment, before he returned to complete seriousness and business. Pele said nothing of her observation and simply followed Kaylin to the mess hall, keeping the amusement to herself.

"Well then," she noted matter-of-factly, accepting the glass of wine. She paused as if in thought and then raised the glass to respond to Kaylin's toast. "To friendship, and to care," her words came slow, though filled with determination and meaning, and her eyes locked with her friend's for a few moments before she took a good sip of the wine.

"All settled then, yes?" she asked, a small smile on her lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Common room, with Arnyn

"Good endings definitely make for better books," Pele agreed, as she moved deeper into the room. The guard stationed himself just inside the door, and for a moment Pele thought of sending him out instead but decided against it eventually.

"Nah, they do not come into the wash room, though they do always insist on inspecting it before they allow me to enter. Strangely enough they have not yet managed to disturb any women in the process of washing," the Captain could not help but laugh at the idea, as she sat down near the fireplace to let her hair dry faster in the warmth. "Suppose it is only a matter of time before it happens."

Stretching out her legs for more comfort, Pele then observed: "It has been rather quiet here of late; we should call people together and then set up some fun task or... a game evening, or story-telling. And ask my guard to tell a very good story." She glanced at the mentioned guard with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor

Ranger Unalmis Raxëlilta
with Erynneth and Tirdinen Duinion Raedor
Commons Room – Before “The Sleepover”
@Rillewen

The day was fair, the horse well behaved and Unalmis hesitated only a short time in front of the Headquarters. He was already on his way back to the Barracks building, but there could be made an argument to apprise someone in charge of why a dairy farm's horse and wagon had been stabled on the Sixth Circle. And there were rather valid reasons, including the transport of a currently less than mobile Ranger. There was also the matter of his failing to track down Lieutenant Brian about an overnight (again – official Ranger) guest to stay in the young man’s room.

But Duinion had implied, even vaguely, that more had been said between him and Lieutenant Dealedwen than Eryn had seemed to expect; so Nal was no longer at all sure of the plan. Rather than give information which might in fact now be wrong or irrelevant, to an officer, he elected to wait and find out from the Tirdinen exactly what was supposed to be happening.

There was of course another reason why the Ranger ultimately forewent a diversion/delay now, and it was far more to do with the look Duinion had worn, when he had been introduced to the Barracks staircase. The man was an evident flight risk, injury aside. Unalmis had his own fair share of dealing with crotchety and difficult so-called-adults, who would allow neither common sense nor physical restraint to keep them, if they set their mind upon bailing out of a situation. Eryn might need some assistance because neither she nor her father were familiar with the building, and also, well he had promised. In truth, Unalmis genuinely did want to help. They were family as much as friends. He just was currently not even sure any more what he was supposed to be helping with. Was the Tirdinen even going to stay over now at all ? If his meeting had not changed things, the matter of the staircase might still manage to.

Pushing open the Barracks front door with as much noise as he could make, quite on purpose, Unalmis glanced around for any signs of he knew not what he might be looking for. But there was nothing alarming to be found, no stirring from the Barracks Master's office. So the young man coughed once, to be certain that he would not be interrupting any private conversation between Eryn and her father. And then followed his feet into the Commons Room. “You are still here,” he celebrated, a little too honestly.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Tirdinen Duinion and Erynneth Raedor
Ranger Common Room
Directly after meeting with Arnyn

As Unalmis left to tend to Storm and the wagon, a brief silence settled over the room. With everything swirling around in his mind, all the thoughts and emotions clashing against each other, Duinion welcomed the quiet on the outside. After a moment to let things settle, he looked up at Eryn, sighing softly. There was much he wanted to say, and ought to say, but found the words difficult to get out.

"I didn't know it was upstairs," Eryn broke the silence, sounding a little awkward. She fidgeted, a little anxious as she watched him.

He glanced up, and smiled faintly. "You can't be blamed for that." He almost laughed, but instead took her hand lightly. "I don't know where you got this idea, but I know you.. only meant to help me." He sighed. "And, I appreciate your concern. I know you're worried about me, and I.. haven't acted as well as I ought to have." He dropped his head slightly. "I'm sorry for that... this whole thing is..hard. Everything about it."

"I know," She answered softly, her heart breaking for him. Although she wasn't sure what exactly was so hard for him, she could perceive that he was having a difficult time. "I don't mean to fuss over you so much," She mentioned, unsure if that was the problem. "It's not that I think you won't take care of yourself, or that you can't, or anything like that." She hesitated, squeezing his hand. "I just.. don't want to lose you." She paused, swallowing to push the lump of emotion down. "And I don't want you to have to give up this.. the rangers," She added more quietly. "Or.. be forced to leave." She paused, then motioned to his foot. "You tried pushing yourself too hard on the first. And now, I'm worried you've done more damage, and..."

"Eryn... I'll be alright." He frowned. "I admit, that... wasn't the smartest thing I could've done.. and I've had to pay for it. But it's healing, and I'll be able to walk again soon enough. You certainly aren't going to lose me," He frowned, a little confused she had arrived at that thought. "You know.. that's the very reason I'm reluctant for you to become a ranger." He added quietly after a little pause.

Eryn's gaze fell to the floor as she held back a sigh. "Yes..."

She was spared from that line of conversation going any further, then, as they heard the sound of the door in the entry, and soon after Nal reappeared. Eryn almost laughed at his almost surprised, and joyful, reaction to find that they were both still there, which helped to break up the slightly emotional moment.

Duinion might have said more, but sensed that Eryn didn't really want the discussion to go on in that direction. And Nal's return at that moment settled the end of that conversation. Eyes glinting in amusement at the young ranger's reaction at finding them where he had left them, Duinion replied, "Of course I am. She took my crutches, so I couldn't run away," and grinned teasingly at his daughter, who was holding the crutches for him so they would not be in his way.

Eryn rolled her eyes and laughed. "Yes. I'm very mean, you know." She grinned back, and shook her head before turning back to Nal. "What now?" She wondered. "It's still several hours before night time," She frowned. "So I was wondering if it might be better to wait on him going up the stairs... is there anything to do around here that isn't too far for someone on crutches?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Steward of Gondor

Duinion
Common Room (some other day?)
Early evening, before dinner is served at the mess
Joining the open rp

Since Arnyn had given the order that he must spend a certain number of nights in the barracks, this being one such night, Duinion made sure to arrive in time for the evening meal, as instructed. But, since he moved a lot slower at the moment than usual, he'd allowed for that. Therefore, he was early. A lot earlier than he would have liked to be. It was usually best to be early, rather than even a little bit late, but he found it frustrating that now, he had some time to kill, and he was already here so now was sort of obligated to stay.

Making his way in through the entrance door, he thought he might sit by one of the fireplaces in the common room while he waited, although he could hear a couple of voices from inside. He paused at the entrance to the common room, hesitating at how dark it appeared in there, although the fireplace added some light to the immediate area around it. He took notice of the two women there, but also... the guard stationed just by the door. He couldn't help noticing the guard looking him over suspiciously, and wondered if he actually thought a man on crutches might pose a threat to anyone. Well, technically, Duinion corrected his own thoughts, Duinion could absolutely use them as weapons if needed. But there were (probably) no enemies here. So he had no need to weaponize them.

Though tempted to turn around and find somewhere else to pass the time, he had come this far, and probably already been spotted. So he gave a nod to the guard and passed through the doorway. "Good evening, Captain. Lieutenant." He greeted them, then hesitated a couple of steps in, second-guessing his decision to come in and join them. "I'm not interrupting a secret meeting between commanding officers, am I?" He'd heard a snatch of something about calling people together for something, though he wasn't sure if what they were discussing was private or not.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Child of Gondor
Ranger Alarion
Room 3 w Trastion

@Rillewen

Mourgan was just indulging in another swig from the flask when Trastion turned to look at him. "Umm-hmm." He answered through a mouthful before he swallowed. Once he cleared his throat he answered his other questions as he came to sit more towards the edge of the bunk, his arms coming to rest on his knees. "She won't mind and her shop is only a couple doors down from the clothing shop. Don't be surprised if she wants to feed us. " He half smirked. "She always thinks I'm starving." The irony of it caused him to chuckle to himself.
He momentarily watched his room mate struggle with the sheet till it just became to much to bare. He rose from his bunk as he put the top back on the flask. "Here. " He put the flask aside as he stood and took the sheet from him. "Let me show you." He started to straighten out the sheet to put it over the mattress. "You had the start of it. Have you really never made a bed?" He asked as he tucked the next corner in. His hands moved efficiently and with purpose from making his own bed too many times to count. He squared off the corners and tucked under the excess in a precise manner that left the corner neat and tight. He then did the same to the top sheet and then he added the blanket.
He straightened up, done with his presentation. "There, it's not hard once you get the hang of it. " He took a coin from his pocket and tossed it on the blanket, it bounced back up and he caught it. "That'll pass inspection." He noted with half a grin as he turned to face Trastion.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Ranger Unalmis Raxëlilta
Commons Room – Before “The Sleepover”
@Rillewen

Clever girl,Nal remarked to Eryn when Duinion said that his daughter had taken his crutches away. “But you didn’t try crawling away,” he observed then after to the Tirdinen himself. “So you must have decided it isn’t quite so bad ?” The two seemed to be in better spirits than he had left them, or they were covering up very aptly what they must have been discussing in his absence. He wasn’t entirely sorry to have missed that. "Horse is fine and happily stabled, by the way."

It is in fact only several hours before lunch,Unalmis corrected Eryn as he sank down into a chair to better join them. “But that means that, as you see, the mess is emptied as everyone has cleared out of their rooms and broken their night’s fast.” He refrained from mentioning that everyone was thus likely to be off doing things elsewhere, because that was certainly what the older Ranger would wish for himself and it was not really an option. Eryn was suggesting an almost immediate escape from the inevitable but, honestly the Commons Room was the closest hub of entertainment, particularly for someone on crutches. And the point of introducing the Tirdinen to the Barracks would not really be served by having him immediately head out once he'd barely arrived.

I figure it’s a pretty good time to try the stair case, if that is something we still need to overcome ?” The young man glanced from one of them to the other, uncertainly. “You said the Lieutenant had her own plans for you, and that it was ‘worse’ but, what are we talking about ? Are you still wanting to stay the night ? Cos if yes, you don't want to be having to trek all that lot around with you.” He pointed to the man's small gathering of luggage with one swinging foot.

Let's get it put away and out of your way,” he ploughed on, because once he’d started it was easier to simply say it all at once. “Honestly, I think if you put off attempting the stairs for now, then you might build it up in your mind over the day to expect such a terrible ordeal you’ll only get more worried about it. Whereas if you try it now, things can only get better afterward. Then you’ll know you can cope with the stairs, and you can see that the room is not terrible .. at least, well I don’t think it is. And if there’s anything as well, that isn’t there but that you need to have there, we will have more time to sort it out before tonight. Also, well, Eryn is here for now too, whereas she might have chores to do later,” he glanced at the young woman, unsure of her plans, but knowing quite how fond she was of multi-tasking to extraordinary limits. She would probably want to see him settled a bit before she had to leave, he imagined.

So, what do you think ? We can sort a nice meal and drink to celebrate after in the mess, there, after you’ve conquered it. And you’ll feel far better without the thought of how hard it might be, stalking over you like a storm cloud all day,” he promised, and then threw in a phrase that he’d heard Duinion use before, when training recruits. “The first time is only the hardest because you don’t know what it will entail. Every time after, you improve at a thing by practice. Or so, somebody once told me.
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Common room

Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Late afternoon, early evening
Open RP

She raised an eyebrow when Pele said her guards always inspected the washroom before they let her enter. "Really?" A brief laugh escaped her. "I wonder who would be more embarrassed," she mused, tapping the book with her fingers, "the women present, or the guard?" She supposed it would depend on the women and the guard who were involved, more than anything else. "A scandal at the barracks... Brian would have a field day."

When Pele sat down near the fire, Arnyn lounged back a bit more leisurely as well. She was about to reply to Pele's suggestion when Duinion made an appearance. Pleasantly surprised by his apparent decision to come earlier than expected. "Greetings, Duinion." A grin flashed across her features at his words. "Rest assured you are not interrupting. If anything, the Captain here interrupted my reading. But since that ship has sailed..." Arnyn shrugged and finally closed the book in her lap. "Will you sit with us?"

Her brown eyes returned to Pele. "I would say no on the task, fun or not," she said. "Us Rangers have plenty of have-to's already. No need to add another." She glanced at Duinion, and if he was paying attention he would notice that she seemed apologetic. "But a game night, or story-telling, actually sounds perfect. Story-telling can also be a game," she said with a smile. "With some prize for the best one."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Trastion Leithor
New recruit - beginning of the month long room inspections
Barracks; Room 3

Trastion laughed a little at the idea of Mourgan's mother thinking he was starving. She sounded like no mother he'd ever met, for sure. To be willing to help them pull off something deceptive? And then pushing food at them. But it sounded like it was more out of concern than anything else, and he was trying to picture that. He was curious to meet her, finding it difficult to imagine a mother that was different than his own. "She sounds very interesting," He commented, realizing for perhaps the first time that he didn't remember ever meeting anyone else's mother before. Well, since leaving home, anyway. It was different before.

As Mourgan came to help, he let out a quiet sigh of relief, watching very closely. Paying careful attention to see which end was supposed to go by the pillow, he noticed it seemed to be the one with the thicker hem, and made note of that, as well as how Mourgan tucked the corners under. "Right... thanks." He was already feeling very apprehensive about having to make all of the beds on this floor tomorrow. He had a sinking feeling he wasn't going to do very well, and a lot of people would be unhappy with him. "Um, no." He answered Mourgan, shaking his head. "Never had any need to." He shrugged, hesitating. "It.. was always just my brother and me, before... and neither of us ever bothered with that. Just a waste of time, you know? We um, slept out in the woods a lot. So then we packed up our blankets and carried them around." He left out quite a lot, which didn't seem all that necessary. "Anyway, now.. it's just me. And I never had any reason to care how the blankets were done." He shrugged and placed the pillow back in its spot after brushing off any dust it might've picked up from the floor. Which made him wonder if he should sweep under the bed before tomorrow's inspection.

Watching Mourgan bounce a coin on the blanket, he grinned back. "Thanks. I might practice that a couple of times before I go to bed. And when I get up in the morning... I have to do all the beds on this floor tomorrow," He made a face accompanied by a small groan, but knew it could've been much worse if Brian had been the one to come up with his punishment. "I wonder how long that'll take." He had no idea how many beds that involved, but he would have to wait until when everyone was awake, and then start. He'd probably end up late for breakfast, he realized with disappointment.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor

Duinion
Common Room (some other day?)
Early evening, before dinner is served at the mess

He couldn't help hearing a little of what had been said, and took another brief glance at the guard, before moving slightly further into the room. "I should hope they would knock before going in..." he mentioned, knowing if he was in the place of that guard, he would knock to be sure the room wasn't occupied before venturing in to check it... but then he also wasn't entirely sure what the purpose for the guards was. It seemed rather unusual, and he decided that since no one had filled him in on the matter, clearly it wasn't something he was meant to know about. He hadn't spent a great deal of time around the headquarters, but it seemed like an unusual thing to have the captain of the rangers under constant guard.. they'd never done that before, but then this was a new company of rangers. Everything about it seemed new and different. Maybe this was some strange new policy?

Taking a glance around the room after Arnyn asked that he sit with them, Duinion hesitated as he surveyed the possible sitting places. Pele was near the fireplace, Arnyn on the sofa. Most of the options would put his back toward the room, facing away from the darkness just beyond the cozy light of the fire. He was somewhat surprised that Arnyn would have enough light to read by, hearing her mention having been reading. The fire put out enough, he supposed, but personally he preferred more light. He was further surprised that Pele's guard hadn't insisted on lighting up every inch of the room, to be sure there were no threats lurking in the shadows.

Trying to push such thoughts from his mind, Duinion selected a spot near the fire, not too close to Pele as to crowd her (or himself), but so his back faced the fire. "What's this about games and story telling, and prizes?" He wondered, after carefully lowering himself down with one leg held off the floor. The crutches he laid aside once he was seated, and got his foot situated so that it was comfortable enough.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Mess hall: little mess

Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
With @Pele Alarion

Kaylin watched as Pele drank from her glass, and after a moment the redhead drank from her own as well.

Pele's question did notimmediately bring a grin to her face, for Kaylin was serious about this. "Aye," she said solemly. "All squared away." It was a soldier's saying, that, but Kaylin would never stop being a soldier and she took pride in her history with the army. She drank another mouthful, and then finally she smiled, with joy in her eyes.

"I feel better already." The smile grew into a grin. "Too bad there is no meal going on. This would be so much more memorable if I could convince some poor ranger you had dropped mashed potatoes down his shirt."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Someone Else

Ranger Common Room
After first meeting with Arnyn

Duinion rolled his eyes at Nal's remark. "Have you ever tried crawling, with broken bones in your leg or arm?" He wondered. "It hurts, let me tell you, regardless of the fact it's down at the other end of my leg." Leaving it to the imagination whether he had actually tried crawling with his injury, he watched Eryn smile in reply to Nal's report concerning the horse.

"Thank you, Nal." She grinned. "Storm hardly ever gives anyone trouble. I bet he was happy to go into the stall and get a break from pulling that heavy wagon." As he went on to mention the idea of showing her dad where he would be staying, and stow his gear away, Eryn nodded, conceding that he had a good point, though it was not spoken aloud. "That's a good idea, putting your stuff in the room. What do you think, Dad?" It would be hard for her to help him get used to going up or down the stairs, if they put that off until she was gone, she realized. Looking at her father, and the unhappy expression on his face, as Nal reminded them of his statement earlier, Eryn fell silent, slightly apprehensive about whatever he might disclose.

"Wanting to..no." Duinion frowned slightly, then glanced at his daughter with an eyebrow raised slightly in question. "Just what did you tell him, I wonder..." He mumbled, before shaking his head slightly. It didn't really matter, now. He sat back, sighing. "The lieutenant has issued orders that I am to spend one night each week in the barracks... OR, one full 24 hours every other week." He frowned down at the floor. "I have to give her my decision about which option I will choose in the morning, after breakfast."

Stunned by this news, Eryn's eyes widened as she stared at him, then glanced at Nal, and back at Duinion. "Oh..." She fidgeted, realizing why this would have upset him so much, but couldn't help remembering the conversation she had unintentionally overheard. "It.. could have been worse though, you know." She mentioned quietly.

"I know.. it's just... very unexpected." He sighed, then glanced toward Unalmis, and hesitated. "She did give me the option to share a dorm with someone, like you, or have an empty one." He mentioned. "I.. would rather not be by myself, if you don't mind me sharing your room that often. Regardless... since it's already in the plan for tonight, I suppose I might as well put my things away.." He glanced in the direction of the entry, where the stairs lurked, waiting to pose an obstacle to him. He was definitely not looking forward to that, but kept his sulking complaints to himself as he carefully rose, receiving the crutches back from Eryn, and motioned to Unalmis to lead the way.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ranger Unalmis Raxëlilta
Commons Room >> Staircase – Before “The Sleepover”
@Rillewen

Unalmis had not, in fact, ever tried crawling with a broken limb but, since Duinion was professing just how much it hurt, it sounded like the Tirdinen actually might have. Probably not around his daughter though, the young man consoled himself. Which might be more the truth of why the Tirdinen had not tried it here and now .. Nal’s lighthearted remark had been meant as merely that however, and Duinion had known Nal for several years now; he knew how naturally reckless the young man was. So the fact that the older man had responded the way he had, suggested that Unalmis had better mark the older man’s mood. The notion that this unspoken warning would be enough to sour the younger man’s own mood though, was very far from the truth.

Nal had been loitering about the cusp of changing the subject, to supposings of how Storm would fare with the Ranger horses for company. But then Duinion revealed just what had been spoke in the Lieutenant’s office. At least enough anyway that the two who had not been there were informed of how things stood. Eryn’s reaction and her father’s resigned despair suddenly did not seem as though a thing that ought to be made light of. Albeit that Unalmis felt rather guilty, for being the only person in the room who was not at all downhearted about the news.

Well, at least she is letting you try it out before you let her know how often you’re prepared to do it,Nal shrugged, refusing to take offence at the Tirdinen’s evident reluctance to spending time with him, or his room. It sounded as though Arnyn was giving out more options than outright orders, he thought, but did not share that concept aloud. The last thing that Duinion needed right now was to have somebody else weighing in an opinion on his circumstances. When the injured Ranger mentioned the prospect of sharing a room then, Unalmis brightened visibly.

I’d rather not spend the night in there by myself either, truth be known,” he gave the impression of being carefree even when he confessed further. “So many hours .. it gets quite boring. I’d started walking the corridors all night, to keep myself from lying there, all awake and thinking ... because who wants to spend their time thinking ? But now Isys says that I mustn’t. I mean, you walk into a wall one time and suddenly everyone thinks they know better than you ! Well, than me,” he rolled brown eyes, owning the admission, although clearly still incapable of imagining why walking around in the dark was a terrible idea. Stood to (his, at least) reason that it might improve night vision and a familiarity with the environment. Which was, incidentally, what Duinion was supposed to be embracing.

I may not be as stoic and strong enough as you to endure pain by crawling, but I do know what it’s like to be stuck with an injury that seems to take forever to improve,” he conceded then, retrieving the other man’s luggage as the Tirdinen found his feet and Eryn delivered his walking aid. “And for the record, though the stairs are daunting, I have it on good authority that stairs are both the hardest but the most effective physical therapy that you can do, to keep muscles, bones, and other things from atrophy.” He was rambling and he did not mind. Let his nonsense prove the antagonist, to distract from the other at hand.

Once there, they considered the obstacle together. “At the top of those stairs is a place to sit and relax. My room is the one with an open window, a door that I always leave open,Unalmis readied them, and refrained from mentioning that he had long since lost his key to lock it anyway. “And the satisfaction of knowing that you can do this. Just .. take the bannister there with your closest hand, and Eryn if you hand me the crutch he won’t need ? Then you walk up beside him and I’ll follow behind. It’s nothing but an exercise in balance and upper body strength.

The confidence of having helped, and been sworn at, before in this sort of scenario equipped the younger man somewhat for the ordeal to come. But it was not the same at all. When his father had finally decided that he ought practice with the stairs, instead of hobbling out in search of a pub for ‘pain relief’, Addhor had long since left the phase of actually being in physical pain far behind him. It really had been mostly a matter of confidence, of balance and an exercise in upper body strength. Duinion’s injury, for contrast, was still very much present, and clearly still very much paining him. If the afflicted limb should strike now at one of the steps, or if he should stumble, .. it could hurt more than the Ranger’s pride.

But if Isys would not let Unalmis wander around the barracks at night, for his own entertainment, the young Ranger doubted that Duinion would be allowed to sleep in an armchair of the commons room all night either. He had to get as far as only the nearest bed. It was not impossible. Of course it might take some practice .. but what else was there to do when the length of recovery gifted you surplus of time ? If the Ranger could but do it at least the once, to then know that he could .. That was the first step. And the first step tended to be the best place to begin.

Steward of Gondor
@Someone Else

Ranger Common Room

Despite his being so preoccupied with his own troubles, Duinion couldn't help noticing how eagerly Unalmis replied to say he would like to have company, that he would rather not be alone. He managed a faint smile in return. As long as he had to do this, it was nice at least that he wasn't imposing where he might not be wanted. He refrained from the comment that first came to mind, however, when Unalmis spoke about how he'd been told not to walk the corridors at night. 'At least you can walk,' the ranger couldn't help thinking, however. The faint smile grew a tiny bit more noticeable as Unalmis carried on, rambling as only Unalmis could do, it seemed.

"You see," Eryn mentioned with a smile. "I told you he'd love to have the company." She pointed out,

At the younger ranger's comment about an injury that takes forever to heal, he paused and recalled then that Unalmis had once endured a shoulder injury that had hindered his training for some time. He was so caught up with thinking about that, that he didn't get a reply in before Unalmis was already rambling on about the stairs and the room which lay beyond. Duinion paused as Unalmis revealed that the window and door were both always open, glancing at him briefly. Unalmis didn't know it, but that was a bit of a relief for him. The window, especially. But he didn't comment. The stairs had arrived, at last, much to his apprehension. Duinion gave a small nod in reply to what Unalmis was saying, reminding himself that the young man did at least have some experience in helping his father through this very thing, although of course, he was well aware of the difference between someone who had no foot or leg to bump painfully on the steps, as opposed to someone who did. He tried not to think about that, and instead let his mind wander back to his younger days with Domanol when they would do all sorts of crazy things in play, without much thought about hurting themselves. Somehow it was different, when one is a child and doesn't think about repercussions, and how things will effect one's health in the long run.

"I'll stay right here with you the whole way, Dad," Eryn promised him as she accepted one of the crutches from him, and passed it to Nal. "And Nal will be right here, behind you," She added, leaving out the 'to catch you, just in case' part.

Duinion offered a small, if somewhat nervous, smile to his daughter, before focusing again on the task at hand. With Eryn sticking close to his side, Duinion was inwardly glad that both she and Unalmis were there to help him, though at the same time, it was frustrating that he should need help at all. Eliminating the one crutch, and holding the railing, he realized that would make it a bit easier to get up the steps than what he was imagining. But, there was still the worry about if he should lose his balance with the remaining crutch, and what if he took Unalmis down with him? Trying not to worry about such things, he gave a nod to Eryn, attempting to reassure her about what he himself didn't feel assured about at all.

Eryn was watching very carefully as he slowly, carefully ascended one step at a time. She tried to be very watchful in case his crutch didn't get all the way on the step, or if it slipped, or anything of the sort. After the first few steps, worrying about the possibility of the crutch slipping from under him, she watched where he put his crutch, and then carefully placed her foot just behind it, to prevent any chance of it slipping.

Duinion glanced at her briefly, noticing, but seeing as he had worried about the same thing, he offered a faint smile and said nothing. Before he knew it, they had reached the top of the stairs, and he let out a sigh of relief upon realizing that they had arrived. "That might be the longest I've ever taken to climb a set of stairs.." He commented, trying to make it sound like a joke, though it was highly frustrating. He exhaled slowly as Eryn turned to get the other crutch back from Nal, in order to return it to her father. "You said the room with the open door?" He glanced back at Unalmis, wobbling slightly as he made the turn while balanced on one leg, holding tightly onto the banister at the top, awaiting the other crutch to be returned to him. His stomach did a couple of flips as he thought of how far down it would be if he were to fall.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ranger Unalmis Raxëlilta
Staircase >> Room 1, South Wing – Before “The Sleepover”
@Rillewen

Unalmis had offered a subtle wink back toward Eryn, when she spoke up, for it might have seemed like he was otherwise ignoring his friend, in favour of focusing on the injured Tirdinen. But that was not only her focus as well, but also what he’d been specifically asked along to help with. Talking actually to Duinion himself was liable to be received better than talking ‘about’ him, as though he was not there, or not sentient, and so that remained Nal’s priority. Given the blow that this entire escapade was no doubt hitting at the older man’s dignity regardless, it would serve no one to baby him. He simply needed to get up the stairs, so it must be managed. As kindly but as normally as it could ever be managed.

Nal had nonetheless quietened some from his rambling, once they had begun the cautious ascent, while not wishing to distract from all attention owed to the exercise itself. He made sure to stay at least two steps behind Duinion, where he knew that he could drop the crutch and luggage, in order to catch the man’s weight, if it came to it. But refrained from serving up platitudes of ‘you can do it’ and ‘just one more’, the likes of which he knew were highly unlikely to be appreciated. Particularly in the presence of Eryn there as well. Thankfully, there was no incident, no alarm. Their progress was slow but steady, and the two on hand allowed for the injured man to dictate the speed he was most comfortable with.

Well, I’m impressed,Nal admitted once they had made it to the top of the stairs. “I don’t think I could have done it that fast without falling. In fact, I might try, just to know for certain ..” he made as though to take the crutch in his care all the way back down and trial the climb under the same circumstances. But thought better of it, apparently, a moment later. “Maybe another time,” he grinned, reading in Duinion’s face how keen the man would be for that promised rest now.

It’s exactly six steps that way,” the young man directed, handing the crutch back to Eryn, to hand to her father, as he added, “I know for a fact, because I’ve walked it in the dark. So see, how useful ..?” he sighed, maybe realising that no one here had been the ones to deny the notion. Then, quite sure there could be no mistaking the room, because it literally was so close, Unalmis held to the rear and followed up their small procession as they found Room 1 of the South Wing.

Beren’s gear is all packed in his trunk and closet,” he explained pointing those out. “All that wasn’t sent back to his daughter for safe keeping anyway. But any of those beds you’re welcome to,” he explained, dropping down with a bounce on to his own bed. “Desk, chair, shelf, window,” he pointed out the heavy tome of a book which served to prop open the window. “Oh the wall over there has recently been fixed because, well, the why isn’t important. And there is a wash room on each floor, just down the corridor. So, no need for climbing up any more stairs. I guess, make yourself at home.

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Common Room with @Arnyn and Duinion @Rillewen

Pele had not yet properly made herself comfy by that fire and was still trying to dry off the ends of her hair to prevent water from dripping down her back when Duinion joined their little party.

"Secret meeting? In a place available to all?" she laughed softly. "But nay, just a relaxed evening." She was glad to see Duinion at the barracks, as it had not been a usual sight either way, at least nowhere beyond the headquarters. So she did her best to make sure her attitude was welcoming and relaxed to see if she could make him feel at home in this environment. "Also, the guards to knock - but who knows... Some lady might have fallen asleep in a tub and not respond."

"And yes! What can be better than sitting near a comfy fireplace to share some stories or play a game! What would be the prize though? Not sure I wanna intrude in the routines of the kitchen here to bake stuff for winners..." Pele's blue eyes glinted with amusement, though in fact she would not be opposed to invest herself in treating the Rangers - it might provide for a nice break from the usual duties.

~~~~~~
Mess Hall
with Kaylin

Pele looked over her glass at Kaylin, waiting for when her friend would see it fit to accept the apologies properly.

"Ah, excellent!" she sighed with relief. "Squared away it is then! And I'm glad not to have things messing with our friendship." The matter had indeed been a burden for her and had made her feel somewhat lonely, especially when she considered it and tried to figure out how it could be fixed. Satisfied with the results, she then emptied the rest of the glass and had to swallow the last mouthful real quick before she spit it all out at Kaylin's suggestion of mess hall activities.

"You'd do what?" she laughed heartily. "Think they'd believe you one bit? Though I'd rather you would not test the truth of this - I got a reputation to live up to! Perhaps we can go out find something else entertaining in the city. Hmm? There are a couple hours of absolutely free time either way."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Mess hall: little mess

Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
With @Pele Alarion
Just prior to Midsummer

"I've done it before, I can do it again,' Kaylin laughed. "That shouldn't be so surprising to you!" A grin lingered on her face. Following Pele's example with approval, she emptied her own glass as well. "A reputation indeed," she agreed. "But surely it would please the younger and more impetuous rangers to see such a fun side of their Captain..." She raised an eyebrow.

Surprised at Pele's suggestion to go find something entertaining to do in the city, Kaylin fell silent for a moment. "Well," she recovered quickly, "that would be right up my alley. Anything in particular you have in mind? I know they're doing some kind of artistic thing in the Marketplace. I've never done anything like it since I was a child, but they're doing some introduction to painting or something." Kaylin grinned. "Wanna go, Captain? It might not be food, but paint might be equally amusing..." She left whether or not she was serious, entirely up to Pele.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Common room

Late afternoon, early evening (late July/early August, about a month after Midsummer)
Open RP - incl Pele and Duinion

"Not much," Arnyn agreed with a genuine smile. "Though I do believe some would prefer an outdoor campfire rather than a fire in the hearth of the common room." It did not matter to her much, honestly. Not in summer, anyway.

"As for the prize... We could give the winner something tangible, but that does offer the question of what. Alternatively, we could also temporarily exempt them from certain duties they abhor," she mused. "For example, no night watches for a week. Or no dishwashing duties for a week. Whatever they prefer, within the limits of reason." She laughed lightly as she looked at Pele. "You could also bake them some honey cake, Captain. Unless you yourself end up winning. Then perhaps we should ask the cooks, or I could try my best if you write down your recipe."

Barracks - Room 3

evening - a few weeks after Midsummer (mid-July)
@Pele Alarion

The knock on the door came quietly albeit non-hesitant. While she usually had a very good idea of what to say and how she would say it, this evening she was still at a loss. Her last meeting with Duinion at headquarters had made her realize she no longer agreed with what had been discussed with the Captain before midsummer. And while this conversation might change nothing, she still felt she needed to be open with Pele about this. Even if the odds were not in her favor. There was still a chance.

The guard by the door assured Arnyn that her friend and Captain was inside.
Last edited by Arnyn on Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion with Kaylin @Arnyn
Barracks, Little Mess

"I think there's always something surprising that you can pull off even when I've already seen a lot of what you are capable of," Pele commented good-naturedly. That was something she really appreciated about her friend, especially when days seemed all the same and filled with mundane duties. "And are you telling me that I should become even more silly than I already am, now when I'm trying to be all serious-like and such as befits the rank?"

She toyed with the glass in her fingers, thinking over the offer of Marketplace activities. "Well, Kaylin, I figure painting might do. Though I wonder if they would understand random face and clothes painting as a form of art," Pele shrugged. "But why not see what it's all about. After all you don't see shopping as entertaining, so must find something else, eh?"

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion with @Arnyn
Officer Quarters, Room 3
A few weeks after Midsummer

Having concluded that anything she did was quite unproductive, Pele had decided to take a short nap, and had fallen asleep not that long ago when a knock at the door. It was quiet enough that it made her wonder whether someone really was at the door or if it had been in her dream, yet she eventually decided that it must have been real.

Swiftly she got out of bed, set the blanket right and straightened out her uniform before calling out: "Aye, come on in!"

Pele did not wish to appear untidy, even if she sometimes did not seem to care much for how people saw her. Yet, she sat back down on her bed again and let out a wide yawn, as she rubbed sleep out of the corner of her right eye.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Room 3

@Pele Alarion

She nodded a greeting at the guard as she waited for the answer. "Night shift?" she asked. "Or still need to be relieved?"
"Just arrived," he said.
Arnyn smiled faintly. "Not the easiest task. Good luck, sir." Then the answer came from within, and the Lieutenant returned her attention to the door. Gathering her resolve, she opened the door. Part of her was displeased Pele did not keep it locked during times like these. Guard or no guard.

She regretted coming now, seeing that Pele had been asleep, but what was done, was done. "Good evening, Captain." The use of Pele's rank would tell her friend this was not so much a social call. "I'm sorry about the hour, but I took the first opportunity I could. I have something I would like to discuss with you. If you have the time. If not, perhaps we could set another date and time to speak, but if so then I would prefer it to be sooner rather than later."
Last edited by Arnyn on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Officer Quarters, Room 3
Evening, a few weeks after Midsummer

Pele was about to start up a light-hearted chat, but the formal address and seriousness in Arnyn's voice chased both such thoughts and the vestiges of sleepiness out of her mind.

"Evening is good,"
she said as means of an unusual return of the greeting. "And this is as good a time as any to discuss whatever it is that has brought you here."

She stood, and after a few moments of consideration, headed for the window which was left slightly open to let in fresh air, and closed it. Turning towards her friend again, she leaned against the windowsill and offered a small smile.

"What is on your mind, Arnyn?" she then asked, preparing to tackle the matter as best as possible. Pele did not offer a chair, assuming that if the Lieutenant wished for it she would make herself comfortable without a special invitation.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Room 3

@Pele Alarion

Now she was here and it was time to speak, Arnyn had to take a beat to figure out how to start. "I..." She held back a sigh and tilted her chin up slightly. Could it be that she was gathering the confidence to speak up about the subject she had in mind? Or did it signal something else, something less obvious? One of her hands was in a side pocket, turning something over and over ceaselessly.

"I don't have any blood that lives in the city," she started. And then she switched tacks a bit, backtracking once she figured that would make more sense. Start at the beginning.

"When we held that small-circle meeting about a month ago, Pele, where we discussed Relic, her known methods and the matter of the Khyar beans - it was agreed we would keep the circle of people in the know small. And that Kaylin would provide some additional beans to protect a few people who could be targeted by extension, such as Nelladel for example. She is a very clear example of course," Arnyn continued as she stood there. Others might have paced to give themselves something to do. But Arnyn stood. In place. And she looked Pele in the eyes. "Related to both you, Relic's prime target - or so we assume, and to Mourgan, who's also in the know now. Another example could be Thûllir, as he's Kaylin's husband, and if Relic were to find out you and Kaylin are close and she targets her for it, Thûllir could be in more danger than the average Ranger. So he should have some as well, even if he cannot know the details." Pele knew all of this already, but it was good that Arnyn had chosen to start here. It gave her a foothold. She could lay out a reasoning they had all agreed on first, loosen her lips, and move on from there.

"I thought about my own situation after that meeting. I have no relations living nearby, I'm not in a relationship that could be used against me. I ended up giving the recruit I spend the most time with my extra supply, because I figured that if Relic were to start watching me and ask around, she would soon learn that I take great joy and pride in taking on and molding new rangers, and that they are important to me. It would make sense for her to target someone I am invested in and am spending that kind of time on." Arnyn gestured with her free hand. "He knows nothing of the circumstances of course. I fear I even scared him a little, which was not my intent. But there is trust enough between us for him to accept my limited explanation and for me to know he will not talk of it to anyone - barring yourself, if need be."

The Lieutenant frowned and for a moment her eyes glanced around the room. She continued once her gaze had settled back on Pele. "Then we caught Shamara. And then I decided I needed to get to know more of the Rangers better now that I'm Lieutenant. I went out to the Pelennor to talk to Duinion and I realized he feels out of tune with the rest of us, feels useless with his injury and that he cannot sleep indoors." Arnyn took a deep breath and ran a hand over her face. "So I told him to come report to me at HQ and I assigned him to spend more time in the city and with other rangers. I will file a report with the full details," she assured the Captain. "But it boils down to an increased presence in the mess and the barracks, and that he will be taking on part of the training of one of the recruits. It should help him connect with other Rangers. This way, he can contribute to our strength and our future. I have hope it will do him good. Despite his recalcitrance." She gave another wave, not wanting to get distracted too much by this different topic.

"But then... My mind started churning, Pele. Duinion is injured. He will be distracted by his disinclination to buildings and the city in general. He doesn't have the defenses right now that the other Rangers have. He would not be as cautious, not as alert. He'd be such an easy target. And his daughter will be taking him to and fro the Sixth every two weeks. If Relic is here, and if she has eyes, it will not take her long to find out their routine. To see how distracted Duinion is. And..." Arnyn flat out sighed, which was not her way. "It made me uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. And I knew that if anything happened to either of those two because of this Relic, I would never be able to forgive myself. For they would not have been there without my interference."

She looked down at the hand in her pocket and withdrew what she had been toying with. It was her a Hyandaner badge, but not the one she had received a year ago after their mission to the Poros. It was older, scuffed in places despite the fact it was obviously well cared for. Arnyn stared at it for a moment. She looked back up to Pele, standing by the windowsill.

"I do not have relations living here," she said quietly, her voice thick with feeling even though she tried to hold it back. "But I do have family. Rangers I know and trust. Rangers whom it is my job and my wish to protect." Arnyn did not look hesitant, but her tone spoke volumes of how conflicted she was to share this with Pele. She knew how personal all of this was for her friend. How difficult. It felt almost rude to speak this way. But she had to. "I... I realize now that I would rather risk Relic finding out we are prepared against her poison in some way, than risk getting one of the Rangers hurt because we did not share sensitive information with them. All the things that went wrong at that meeting last month were due to holding back information." The Lieutenant bowed her head and shoulders. "I'm sorry. I do not believe this is the way, Captain."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Officer Quarters, Room 3

Arnyn's initial statement caused Pele some puzzlement: she knew that her friend's family did not live in the city, and for a while she was left wondering what it was all about, and why it was important to state it like this. Questions were forming in Pele's mind yet she held them back and waited to see what else would follow.

"Ah..." she breathed in understanding when Arnyn went through the main points they had agreed on during that particular meeting. She did not interrupt the Lieutenant in any other way and carefully took in everything she said.

While she had noted that Duinion felt uncomfortable within the city, she had not known it was such a deep issue, but it was clear that Arnyn was already tackling it. Besides, it would be the least of problems; and she would be sure to read the report and discuss it to see how things could be improved. Yet this was not the point of current discussion, and Pele decided not to dwell on it.

When Arnyn seemed to have finished, Pele let out a deep sigh and closed her eyes for a brief moment as she considered how to respond.

"I know how much you care about each of our Rangers; I do," she said softly, opening her eyes to look at her friend. "I would be surprised if it was not so. I care as well, and it would break my heart if harm came to any of them."

Since the meeting, Pele had put on the best show of feeling comfortable that she could and tried to go about the daily business as usual, yet she felt constantly on edge, the game of hide and seek with Relic was wearing her out, and she feared the moment she would end up finding some Rangers killed off in the very place they should have felt comfortable and at home in.

"Holding back information does not do any good," she agreed then. "Yet... I still don't have solid proof that Amber is Relic, nor am I convinced that she is not. If we tell everyone of the suspicions... And she ends up not being Relic, and gets killed just because there's suspicion?" She was sure some of the most eager Rangers would take the matters into their hands if only given a slim chance of it, and Pele could see things going badly from there.

She took two steps to the desk, and then moved back to the window again, looking out of it before turning back to face Arnyn. "What would you suggest? Putting everyone on high alert and just telling them to watch out?" Pele paused and bit back another sigh. "I've tried to think of ways to set up a bait for Relic and make it all end - but I have not thought of anything yet that might prove effective. Though... I'm sure Relic knows by now that we are aware she's here." Pele would prefer to just fight it out face to face, but this did not seem a situation where a direct confrontation would work. After a moment's pause, she added thoughtuflly: "Also... it seems that unusual amount of random mischief has sprouted in the barracks, causing some upset."

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Staircase >> Room 1, South Wing

"Give me that," Duinion retorted, rolling his eyes, when Unalmis acted as if he were going to make an attempt at using the crutches to go back down the stairs, and gave him a stern(ish) look until he handed the crutch over. Claiming it back from the silly young ranger, Duinion carefully positioned the crutch back under his arm. He didn't like feeling so off-balanced, and was anxious to get to where he could sit down. Six steps didn't sound too bad. He was a little amused that Unalmis knew such a thing, but he couldn't fault him for having such knowledge. It wasn't a bad thing to know.

Eryn struggled to hold back laughter at Nal's antics, being unsure whether her father would find it so funny. And she didn't want him to think she was laughing at him or anything. She bit her lip, but when Duinion set off toward the room, she grinned over at Nal and held out a hand to take back one of the bags, before trailing along behind Duinion. She would have hurried ahead to open the door for her father, but it was unnecessary, since Nal's door was already open. "Oh, it's much bigger inside than I imagined," She commented as she followed Duinion inside, trying to sound positive about this whole endeavor, for his sake. "I thought, since you only ever spoke of one roommate, that it was only set up for two people," She mentioned to Nal, moving aside to allow him entry to his own room.

Duinion paused, giving a small nod in acknowledgement of Eryn's comment. It was bigger than he had expected, too. But it still didn't change his displeasure with the entire situation. He sought out the bed nearest to the window, glad that it was at least propped open in such a way that it wouldn't close on its own by accident. Apparently Unalmis liked fresh air almost as much as himself. "So.." He glanced over at Unalmis. "I see that Hattie didn't leave too much damage in her wake." He mentioned with a small, knowing smile.

"Oh, here, I can get those," Eryn stepped up to take the crutches for him as he carefully sat on the edge of the bed. She rested them carefully by the bedpost, within reach but out of the way. "Well... it's not so bad, is it?" She asked, a little anxious. Hearing now that he HAD to stay here, she felt even more guilty for pressuring him to do so this very night... which meant he had an extra time he had to spend the night here, which he would not have had otherwise. "Do you need anything? I could get you some water, perhaps?"

"I'm alright, Eryn," Duinion answered quietly, careful not to let his tone sound irritated. He sighed softly, looking toward the window. He was glad to see the glass was clean, allowing plenty of sunlight in. And he noticed the lack of curtains, so that light could not be blocked.

"Well, I um, packed a few of your things.. I thought it might make you feel more.. at ease?" She mentioned, setting the pack down on top of the chest at the foot of the bed. "Your blanket.." She pulled out the wool blanket he always used with his bedroll, which had a bit of a woodsy scent lingering on it. "And your pillow.." She added, pulling that out next. "I can make up the bed for you, before I go?" She offered with a small smile, knowing it would be very difficult to accomplish such a task while balancing on one foot and crutches.

Duinion realized that was going to be a necessary thing to do, and nodded after a small hesitation. Grabbing the crutches back, he rose and moved to the side, leaning against the wall with his bandaged foot raised off the floor. He found this easier than getting the crutches again. "Thank you, Eryn," He wondered what else she had packed, since he hadn't even realized she packed that second bag. "I can help with that," He mentioned, frowning slightly as he started to move forward to assist her.

"No, it's fine, I've got it." She assured him, glad to be able to be useful in some way. "You just rest." She insisted, working on getting Duinion's chosen bed fixed up for him.

Hearing something hit the floor, he glanced down and saw that something had fallen out when Eryn pulled the pillow out of the pack, and she hadn't noticed, busy trying to tuck the ends of the blanket in. Rather than mentioning it, Duinion quietly lowered himself down to a crouch, holding onto the wall for balance as he held the one foot up. But then, starting to lose his balance a bit, he quickly shifted so that he just dropped onto his rear and sat on the floor, injured foot raised up off of the floor. Totally pretending like that was all part of the plan, he reached under the bed to grab the runaway item, curious to find out what it was.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Room 3

@Pele Alarion

Pele's deep, deep sigh did not sound promising. Unconsciously, Arnyn held her breath as she watched the Captain. She did not question Pele's knowledge of how she was wired. Pele knew her rather well, in contrast to Rangers like Isys or Duinion. And in turn, Arnyn also knew how much Pele cared. Neither of them would cope well if Relic would manage to harm one of them.

Still. The Captain's agreement that holding back information was not good, was like a wave of relief that washed over the Lieutenant. There was so much at play for Pele. So much history. So much instinct. Sorrow and guilt. Such things were enough to mess with even the principles at the core of someone's being.

Arnyn shook her head when Pele continued. "I do not mean to tell the Rangers we suspect Amber might be Relic," she said quickly, albeit softly. "If that turns out to be an error, the girl would never recover from such a stain to her name."

She took half a step forward. "But I would tell those Rangers of whom we are sure they are not Relic, that we believe a dangerous criminal is loose in the city. A master of disguise, a poisoner, a woman of dark talents. And yes, that she may choose to infiltrate even the Rangers, because she has a grudge. Which means everyone should keep their guard up, only letting it down when they are with those they know well." She hesitated, but knew she had to finish. "It would only be natural for such a criminal to target the leader of the organisation she despises so. We need not tell the Rangers anything of your personal history with her, Pele. They do not have a right to such personal information about you. But they do have a right to be informed well enough to protect themselves."

"And if you think Relic already knows we are aware that she is here, then it does not matter if anyone accidentally shares this information with her."

Arnyn turned the Hyandaner badge around in her hands, openly now. "We cannot give everyone those Khyar beans, but apparently we could give them charcoal, which might be helpful in certain situations. If it's ingested. I heard about it from Duinion. It's not ideal, but even on the small chance it could save anyone..."

Pele's mention of bait distracted her remotely. "Bait?" She frowned. "The only bait she would take would be the chance to get at you. I'm not sure if she would prefer a direct bait, to end things - or an indirect bait, to cause you more emotional distress first." Arnyn's frown grew deeper. "You would truly entertain such a notion?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - South Wing
Lieutenant Brian, Barracks Master

While it was unlikely for his patience to grow during inspections, currently he had none for the likes of Raxëlilta in room 1 or Leithor in room 3. Thus, the Barracks Master had decided to start at the end of the hallway and work his way back.

Yet, Lieutenant Brian would not be Lieutenant Brian if he did not cast a glance into Raxëlilta's room while the door was open. And what he saw there stopped him dead in his tracks.

Raxëlilta was sitting on his bed. Nothing strange about that, you might say, but for Unalmis this was... uncommon. Even so, the sedentary state of Raxëlilta was not the reason for the Lieutenant's frost of motion and subsequent blaze of outrage. No, no. It was the sight of a girl, in the South wing, making a bed in Raxëlilta's room.

To make matters even worse - if that was even possible - if was not just some girl he had never seen. It was that girl who'd been involved in one of the most infuriating (and embarrassing) moments of his career.

No. No, no. No, no, no, no.

The Barracks Master was only dumbstruck for a moment. Then his outrage translated into the swift movement of his boots - a few paces into the room - grim lines on his face and a dangerous quality to his tone that would strike fear even into the heart of a Ranger who was convinced he was doing nothing wrong.

"Unacceptable." He was fuming. If the Lieutenant had been a cartoon, steam would have blown from his ears and nostrils.

"Ranger Raxëlilta! Not even Camlost was ever this thick! In what world do you presume it is allowed for this girl - ANY girl - to spend the night in the men's dorms?" He gestured to Eryn making the bed.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Ranger Unalmis Raxëlilta
Room 1, South Wing. Barracks – Before “The Sleepover”
@Rillewen

Unalmis leaned back as the father-daughter team inspected the room. He wished all inspections of said room could provoke even such slights of surprised delight, but sadly it was not the case. He was fairly certain, in fact, that Lieutenant Brian had started leaving this room for the last to be checked, just to ensure that he had built up enough exasperation by the time he got there. Not to mention the comments of how much better everybody else’s rooms were looking by comparison. On the upside, the order of it allowed Nal a sometimes very desperate extra bit of time to tidy up. But there had been more than once, when the Barracks Master had come here first, just to ensure the young man could not count on that advantage.

Glancing around today, the Ranger had to admit, it was not looking too bad. Mostly because the room inspections had kept him from refilling it again since it had been mostly emptied. There was, admittedly, some dirty laundry because he’d been at training the day before. But it was not an excessive amount and had been dropped inside the bottom of his closet out of sight. The bottles of water were of course, standing sentinel underneath his bed. But they were sealed, they were non alcoholic and, as though to compensate, the young man had even taken pains to clean the window, in anticipation of Duinion’s induction.

Most of Hattie’s stuff was what ended up in a certain person’s custody,Nal admitted, in response to the Tirdinen. Fortunately the dog was very easy to please, and Aggie and Eryn had spoiled her rotten by giving her a new blanket and bowls. Practically anything she could get hold of, that dog claimed as a new toy. “And it’s easier to clean up after her when she isn’t here messing it all immediately up again.” His grandmother had, of course, said the same thing about him, back in the day.

Nal had meant to chat some with his guest, to distract the unhappy lodger, while Eryn satisfied her own inspection that her father would be alright here. But as the young woman revealed quite what sorts of home comforts she had thought to pack for Duinion, Unalmis had forgot all about his intentions, and instead leaned forward to watch her emerge with more and more thoughtful commodities. He almost joked that she was doing such a good job, he would never manage to get the Tirdinen to leave ! But soon the home-made bedding had her entire attention. And Duinion’s curiosity was overcoming his detachment.

Unalmis readied to suggest that the older man use one of the crutches, to hook out what had rolled underneath the bed. But something stopped him. A familiar voice. Usually the young Ranger could tell when someone was approaching, from either the corridor or the stairway. He’d made a game of it when he was bored and alone, memorising which tread matched which Ranger. But that was when he had time, near otherwise silence, and boredom to hand. Robbed of all these, it was too late by the time that Brian remarked “Unacceptable”.

@Arnyn

Nal closed his eyes in a grimace, thankful that his back was to the door. But that was not going to save him. And as the tirade began to rain down it’s wrath, the young Ranger slowly opened his eyes again, turned and rose from his bed, to serve as what means of human barricade he could manage between the Barracks Master and his guests. A rather frantic, “Lieutenant, I .. ” escaped him, but Lieutenant Brian was still talking, and it was a waste of time. With a deep sigh, Unalmis waited until the man had to stop, at least to catch his breath. The Barracks Master’s expression came close to rendering the young man mute, when that moment finally came, but this was not the first time he’d faced an onslaught of disappointment. And so he steadied his nerve and took his chance.

If he were smart or any good at lying, Unalmis could have tried the line that Eryn was merely come here from the laundry, to teach him how to improve his bed making skills. If he were less smart but completely honest, he might have mentioned that he knew Camlost had in fact brought Isys to this very room before, very briefly, to show off what he had kept in his chest. The Ehtyar had walked out under a minute later. But Unalmis was not a snitch. And armed with the foreknowledge that he had in fact ‘tried’ (albeit at the last minute) to inform the Lieutenant beforehand, and that Arnyn had herself told Duinion to come here, what Unalmis actually chose, was to respond to the very last portion of Brian’s rant. Because ‘that’ girl wasn’t making up the bed for herself, which seemed to be what the tyrant’s problem was.

Oh, no. You have it all wrong, Lieutenant. Eryn isn’t going to stop the night here. That bed isn't for her to sleep in. And we won't be too long now before we're finished up here anyway. I give you my word.

In hindsight, he would later come to realise, he might have chosen his words a little more carefully.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - South Wing

The Barracks Master's eyes narrowed to dangerous slits. Had Raxëlilta just told him he was the one who had it all wrong?

Telling Lieutenant Brian that he was wrong, never went over well. Telling him he was wrong in his own domain, was worse. A Ranger like Unalmis telling him he was wrong... Well, honestly? It was like poking an angry bull with a very sharp stick.

His words sounded almost venomous, as if the vague hiss of a snake was flirting with them. "Indeed, she will not be spending the night. Indeed, that bed is not for her to sleep in. Do not presume to tell me that I am the one who has it all wrong when you are the one violating several rules of this compound."

Lieutenant Brian broadened his shoulders, gesturing toward Eryn to disencourage her of the notion to speak in case she were tempted to offer any excuses. Brian's eyes were dark as they flicked between the two young people. His voice almost rolled through the room like thunder, listing the rules Unalmis and Eryn were breaking like a battering ram would pound into a gate.

"One: No civilians other than staff in the Barracks Compound."

"Two: No women in the South Wing."

"Three: No unauthorized sleepovers."

Then he focused once again on Raxëlilta. "As a resident of the Barracks, you should be very familiar with these rules. In all my years as Barracks Master, you are the first to violate all three of these rules at once! And while the Valar did not give with both hands in your case, Ranger Raxëlilta, that will NOT serve you as an excuse. Whether you are too careless to be aware of these basic rules, or too careless to be bothered to follow them, or both - it will not reduce your punishment in the slightest."

"She will not finish. She will stop, and she will stop now. She will leave, and she will leave now. And you will regret this triple transgression. And to that, I will also give my word."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Barrack, Room 1, South Wing

At first, the new voice didn't strike him as being aimed at any of their party. Just a passing voice in the hall, perhaps. Until he heard Unalmis being addressed directly. And then heard the rest. Duinion froze, somewhat shocked by what he was hearing. Not just Unalmis was being scolded, but Eryn as well. And to realize the sort of accusation that was being hurled at his daughter gave him good reason to abandon his attempt at rescuing the thing that had rolled further under the bed, in favor of rushing upright to defend her. Only he suddenly found himself caught on the underside of the bed. It took additional moments for him to cease his frantic efforts to get free, and with an effort to calm himself, reached up to feel what was trapping him there.

Even after learning that his collar was hooked on a piece of metal that protruded from the bedframe, it wasn't such an easy matter to extricate himself from this awkward position, half under the bed in pursuit of some unknown item that had lured him under there. It was not intended for a fully grown person such as himself to reach so far under there, which of course wasn't something he would ordinarily have been doing. But it would have been much more trouble to go around, he thought. What with his injured foot and all. And now he was caught in a rather awkward and uncomfortable position, and rendered unable to rush to his daughter's defense as he wished to do. First to get himself freed, then he would make his presence known... otherwise it might be quite embarrassing to have the others realize that he had managed to get himself caught on the underside of the bed.

The moment the lieutenant's voice broke through the previously peaceful atmosphere, Eryn froze in the middle of tucking the edge of the blanket under, and turned to stare with wide eyes at the 'intruder'. Her mouth opened in an instinctive protest, but Nal got there first, and was ignored. Still, she had to try. "No sir.. it's not-" But he was paying no attention to her. "I'm just-" She cringed as he continued to rant at her friend. Where did her dad go? She glanced around, puzzled for a moment. He was there just a moment ago... he couldn't have gotten far without his crutches, and she saw them still leaning against the bedpost by the wall.

"I'm not-" She began again, only to be cut off again as the lieutenant continued his furious spew toward Unalmis, ignoring her even as he ranted about her being present at all. Her face was going red, both from embarrassment at what the lieutenant apparently thought, but also with some amount of anger that he would make such accusations and then not even give them a chance to explain the truth of it! And for him to have the nerve to complain that it wasn't authorized? "He tried to find you to ask permission!" She protested at last, when there was a brief respite as the Lieutenant drew in a breath.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - South Wing

He had been pointedly ignoring Eryn as he spoke. There were two reasons for that. One, she was a trespasser, which meant she shouldn't have been there in the first place, let alone speak. Two, she was trying to interrupt him, which was disrespectful when interacting with anyone, let alone an officer.

But Brian was not unreasonable. When he was done speaking, she exclaimed a sentence he finally did pay attention to.

The sheer stupidity of the notion stunned the Barracks Master. But it only lasted for a moment. He had seen and heard many things from Rangers trying to justify their breaking or circumventing the rules. He was used to excuses, ranging from weak ones to rather excellent ones, really. But this?
It was so outlandish, part of him saw the humour and wanted to laugh. The kind of laugh that came from the lower belly, a booming laugh - contagious and loose.
Yet the part of him that reigned these barracks with the iron fist they required, was stronger.

No laugh came.

"He tried to find me," the Lieutenant said sceptically. "So he could get permission for a young redhead girl to stay over in his room? I am sure that Ranger Raxëlilta tried very hard and very long to find me indeed." His steely eyes turned back to Unalmis. He had gotten excellent at reading people over the years. Especially at reading rule breakers. And he saw the untruth of the matter in the Ranger's eyes.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Pele Alarion

Tirdininen Duinion Raedor
Common Room - open Rp with Arnyn and Pele
Late afternoon, early evening (late July/early August, about a month after Midsummer)

Listening to the various ideas that both Pele and Arnyn mentioned, Duinion kept quiet for a moment. He absolutely agreed with the outdoor campfire idea. Far better than being stuck in here, in this darkish room by one of the fireplaces. He smiled faintly when that idea was suggested, and then the smile turned wry as Arnyn suggested the idea of a prize being that the winner could be exempt from duties they loathe. He rather doubted that she had in mind releasing him from the orders she had given concerning him... which was why he was here at all to hear this discussion...

As his thoughts strayed to the last time he was here, and the things that had happened as a result, he grinned suddenly with a twinkle of mischief in his eyes. "Perhaps we could play a game... a challenge of sorts for the folks who live here." He suggested. "The first one to make the barrack's master laugh over something.. wins." He felt sure that Unalmis and Eryn had come very close to accomplishing it... without even trying. The thought of making it into a game was amusing, although he didn't honestly expect either of the commanders to go for the idea, it might get a snicker out of them, at least.

Ranger Unalmis Raxëlilta
and Lieutenant Brian
Room 1, South Wing. Barracks. Before “The Sleepover”
@Rillewen @Arnyn

For a moment there was nothing, save the growing sense that maybe having said nothing would have been a lot wiser than saying what he had. Or having said anything really at all. But silence was not really a tool in Unalmis’s repertoire, and Brian himself employed the notion just long enough to breed apprehension. So, when words from the officer were forthcoming, they were .. disarmingly agreeable. The Barracks Master seemed maybe to have grasped that there was no intention for Eryn to be spending the night in the Men’s quarters. Except .. that understanding in this case, with that menacing expression brooding over the proceedings, seemed more and more as though Brian was decreeing such a thing himself, rather than accepting it had never even been on the cards.

Nal did not stand down. He had stood up for the matter of respecting the officer’s presence, all too practiced in receiving a dressing down. All too practiced so that it possibly did not have the required sense of intimidation that good sense would recommend he demonstrate. But brown eyes rose to see if the man was expecting an answer, just in time for the lieutenant to pull out his favoured of all weapons. The mighty and momentous recanting of Rules. And admittedly, although there were extenuating circumstances, even Unalmis couldn’t deny that, technically, at least two of the three rules had been bruised a little, if not outright broken. So the lieutenant might not have been all wrong. He was maybe only partly wrong.

The young man was not about to reward the Barracks Master with that consolation though, or offer excuses, although admittedly a small smile did surprise him when he was endowed the title of a first time record .. . Another time he might have been more tempted to show off in front of Eryn, because their mutual foe was the aggressor here. And it was really rather more difficult to take Brian seriously, when he was not facing him alone. Unalmis had not forgotten that Duinion was also present too. And he cared far more what the Tirdinen thought about him, than to try any vain attempt to win over Brian who would absolutely never be won over.

Honestly Nal had come home with a lot to think about last night and he could feel a yawn coming upon him now, which might be downright disastrous if not restrained. Holding that in was taking an awful amount of dedication. So as punishments were threatened, and vows were made, the like of which even Feanor could not have rivalled in intensity, Unalmis was relieved when Eryn diverted the path of condemnation for even a moment.

In truth, he was getting rather worried and confused why the girl’s father had not presented himself by this point. And seized the advantage of Eryn speaking up suddenly behind him, to stand a little aside, and then duck down to check on where he’d last seen his guest lodger. It was hard to tell in the short time afforded him, not to mention the angle, but it looked as though the man might have gotten down to the floor well enough but then not managed to get up again. Duinion was moving, or struggling though, which meant he hadn’t passed out or anything so urgent. He was likely occupied with finding his way back to them, and being aided to do so from such a position was likely not the sort of first impression the Tirdinen would want to make upon the Barracks Master.

So, swiping up one of the bottles of water from under his own bed, Unalmis emerged with that and also an apparently heedless expression which he had been advised before now was most infuriating to witness, Unfortunately it seemed to be something he hadn’t managed to grow out of yet. But he had an alibi in hand at least, just in time to meet Lieutenant Brian’s renewed verbal assault.

I would never ask your permission for Eryn to spend the night, Lieutenant. You are absolutely right on that point sir,” he decided, with an associated small nod of the head. “But .. you were not in your office this morning, because I did knock at your door for a good time. A good .. long time,” he corrected the last, rather belatedly rather than betray how much fun the musical address at the door had proven to be after a while. It reminded him of making percussion with Trevadir and he had to extend the hand with his bottle of water up, in front of his face, toward the officer, to conceal the joy that memory had evoked, against all odds and with the worst possible timing. He had of course ventured the admission up at all, in support of Eryn. Since Brian had caught the girl out in an untruth the last time they had encountered one another. Nal knew she was not a liar, and would not have Brian believe so, especially because of something he had personally told her.

Forgive me. Would you like a drink, sir ? I would not want for your throat to dry up.” he played host, politely. Quite certain that this last minute generosity was not likely to save him, Nal was otherwise intent on keeping Brian’s eyes on himself, while the hidden hand behind the young man’s back was frantically gesturing for Eryn to look down, and hopefully help out her father.

I know the rules, and you make the rules,Unalmis tried for the same innocence of expression which had never worked before now. “So if you say that I must be punished, of course I am sure that you must be right,” he sighed. “Report me, write me up," he shrugged. "Whatever you say, sir. I don’t mind, honestly.

Ok, admittedly he might have been showing off just a little, for Eryn’s benefit by this point. But what could the man really do to him to encourage contrition ? He’d already tried several times before and nothing much had taken root as yet.

(Edit - spellings)
Last edited by Ercassie on Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Officer Quarters, Room 3

When Arnyn went on to speak in more detail on how sharing more information with Rangers would look like, Pele's shoulders relaxed slightly in relief, and she sat more comfortably on the windowsill.

"I am indeed not ready to put all of my experiences out in the open, and not sure such a time will come," she said as a way to confirm that there were limits to how far she was willing to go, but then again Arnyn had said it was not what was expected. "Practically, I figure the warning would have to be given one on one or in smaller groups rather than gathering everyone for a lecture of sorts."

"You know, perhaps..."
Pele paused and rubbed her chin thoughtfully before she continued. "Perhaps it would not be that bad if Relic realised that we are prepared. Though knowing her she might take it as a game, merely laugh at us and happily look for vulnerabilities."

Pele's eyes were drawn to Arnyn's Hyandaner badge, and it caused a small smile on her face, though it faded soon enough when she went on to consider the options of countering attacks. "I'd say all Rangers should have charcoal in their first aid kit either way; it might be useful in a bad case of runs, or to counter nausea, or common food poisoning. If anything, I could have it provided from the Houses of Healing, we have plentiful supplies and can easily make more. However, that kind of poisoning is not that effective. Shamara easily took me off my feet by means of a small scratch which I did not even pay attention to at first in the circumstances. When I did realise what was going on, it was too late even if I had had any supplies of those beans. I was already overpowered. But yes... charcoal, bandages, Khyar beans whenever possible."

"And, well," a flood of weariness seemed to wash over the Captain, as she looked at her friend. "I suppose I would set myself up as a bait if there was a chance that Relic would fall for it and if there was a way to bring an end to this all. I am so tired, Arnyn, so tired of always watching my every step, of fearing that someone else would end up hurt, of not knowing when it would end. In conditions of a battle there's at least knowledge that it will not last forever, but this..."

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Arnyn

Barracks, Room 1, South Wing

As the lieutenant replied to her, Eryn's eyes widened as he repeated back the incorrect idea. Her, spending the night? "Oh.. no!" She was horrified that he would have gotten such an idea, and realized that this probably did not look very convincing to the contrary... "No, that's not right at all!" She protested, her face going quite red at the idea of such a thing. Her face even seemed to rival her hair for a moment. Nal's agreement on the fact he wouldn't ask permission for such a thing.. didn't seem to help matters at all. Eryn had long since forgotten about trying to tidy up the blanket edges. And where was her dad?!

After noticing Nal making some sort of gestures, while the Lieutenant's back was to her, Eryn took a quick glance around and then hurried around to the other side of the bed. What was her dad doing on the floor? "Did you fall?" She whispered, kneeling to help him as he emerged from the dark space beneath the bed.

Duinion had, thankfully, freed his collar from the barb that had caught him, and pulled himself hastily from under the bed. He remained sitting for a few seconds, taking a few deep breaths of fresher air. Then found that getting up was significantly more difficult than getting down had been. He was, despite all of that, caught between finding this entire situation hilarious, and finding it offensive to his daughter. Between her and Unalmis, they sure had managed to convey the worst possible idea, rather than coming out and stating the truth, and that... well it reminded him an awful lot of the sort of thing he and Dom used to get themselves into.

Eryn held a hand out, and he clasped it, letting her aid him in getting upright, as Nal was busy offering the lieutenant a drink of water. Eryn cast a worried glance at him, as if she was about to start checking if he was harmed in some way, but Duinion gave a stern shake of his head as he held up a hand to stop her. "Don't say another word," he ordered silently, mouthing the words.

Eryn bit her lip and gave a tiny, nervous nod as she stood slightly behind him as he took a couple of seconds to brush off his clothes, in case any dust from under the bed had clung to him. As he wobbled slightly on only one leg, Eryn swiftly presented him with the crutches that had been partially hidden behind the post until now, and soon his balance was aided by them. Once he had his regained composure, he turned to address the problem finally.

"LIeutenant Brian, I presume?" He spoke up finally, clearly so that the man couldn't possibly fail to hear him. He had never met the man, but from all he had heard from others, there was no mistaking the man's identity now. "I'm Tirdinen Duinion Raedor, and this.. 'young redhead girl' is my daughter, Apprentice Healer Erynneth," He put a slight emphasis on her title so as to give her that much more credibility. "I've received orders to stay overnight in the barracks now and then, and she is here only for a few moments, solely for the purpose of ensuring that I have suitable accommodations, due to my.. current immobility." He explained, trying to make her part seem far more official than just a worried daughter trying to be sure he was comfortable. The crutches ought to be proof enough of his being injured. "I have just come from speaking to Lieutenant Dealedwen, and I was under the impression that she had already spoken with you concerning my occasional stays here." He remarked with a frown.

"But, if you say that it's unauthorized and insist that I must leave, I would be more than happy to return to my home, which is far more comfortable." He added, barely hiding how very hopeful he was that he could just go home and not stay here. "Regardless, I must say that I do not appreciate you leaping to such.. inappropriate conclusions about my daughter and Ranger Raxëlilta." He added with eyes narrowed in annoyance, to make it clear he had picked up on what the barrack's master clearly thought was going on.

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Common room,
Open RP (@Arnyn , @Rillewen , etc)

"Outdoors is nice, especially at sunrise or sunset," Pele said, though by the way how she made herself comfortable, stretching out her legs, she was not about to leave any time soon.

She smiled, thinking over the possible prizes that would make people want to share their best stories, though she would not mind just storytelling as such, mostly others talking.

"You say what, Duinion?" Pele could not help but let out a burst of laughter at his offer of game. "I'm sure it would be a very difficult task indeed, and can you even imagine the quantity of complaints that would land on my desk due to the process of Rangers trying to make him laugh? Also, I am sure I would have to admit defeat pretty soon because I have no idea what makes him laugh. He seems as tough as most of my guards."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - South Wing

The sight of one of those infuriating bottles of water soured his mood further. If that was even possible. Raxëlilta's expression made matters even worse. And then...

Momentary confusion. Lieutenant Brian had developed the uncanny ability to tell when he was being lied to, and Raxëlilta's statement that he would never ask permission for Eryn - which Brian now registered was the girl's name - to spend the night sounded true. The Barracks Master's eyes narrowed. And yes, he had stepped out of his office that morning for an hour or so. But running the barracks did not mean he was glued to his office all day. Indeed, if that were the case, he would not be much of a barracks master to begin with. But this still begged the question: If Raxëlilta had not been seeking permission for Eryn to stay over, then what had exactly had he been seeking permission for?

But instead of sharing that tidbit of information, Unalmis offered him some water from one of those damned bottles. Followed by words and behaviour that threatened to make the Lieutenant's complexion an intriguing shade of purple rather than the more typical red hue Eryn had fallen prey to.

Speaking of Eryn... The Lieutenant saw her helping someone up. Someone who'd been hiding? Under the bed? A third person? A Ranger?

For an infinitesimal moment in time, Brian wondered whether Camlost had returned and this had been the man's idea of a good joke. Honestly, Brian wouldn't put it past him. But soon he saw that, no, it was not Camlost at all. He did not recognize Duinion right away, since he was not one of the Rangers lodging in the barracks under his care, but when Eryn handed the Ranger those crutches, a few things clicked into place.

Dealedwen had spoken to him about the possibility of having a Ranger, who did not room at the barracks, spend a night a week - or so - at the dorms. Something or other about improving cohesion within the unit and taking his mind off a foot injury. It took another small moment to remember the name. Raedor. Yet Dealedwen had been speaking of the matter with words such as 'in the near future' and 'probably'. She had not informed him that her idea has transformed into a 'starting this night' and a 'certainty'. Part of the Barracks Master wondered whether it had been neglect on her part, or intentional omission. Knowing Dealedwen, neglect was highly unlikely. The Barracks Master's mood plummeted further.

'Lieutenant Brian, I presume?'

With a sigh, he watched Raedor carefully as he needlessly continued to introduce himself. The information that Eryn was his daughter, however, was new. And therefore Brian hardly faulted Raedor for the slight edge to his voice. The Barracks Master let Duinion finish before serving him a reply. Raxëlilta could wait.

"Tirdinen Raedor," the Lieutenant nodded. "Yes, I was informed by Lieutenant Dealedwen and thus you may of course spend the night. Your presence is not unauthorized." He did not tell the room that he had only been informed of the possibility of his stay rather than the fact of it starting this very night. (Little did he know that Duinion could probably fill that in himself, if he thought back on his conversation with Arnyn.)

"Any Ranger may enter the barracks. Yet Erynneth Raedor is not one. And even a full-fledged healer needs my permission to enter the compound, except in dire circumstances. I can assure you that your foot injury does not fall under this definition, since you are not in danger of dying if we were to move you over to the Houses of Healing for a check-up. Correct?" He raised a rhetorical eyebrow, and quite ignored Duinion's reference to the conclusion he had drawn about Raxëlilta and the healer's apprentice.

"Seeing as how you have not called the barracks your home as of yet," the Lieutenant continued, "I may overlook your ignorance of the rules. Yet it would be wise of you to familiarize yourself with the barracks' code of conduct by the next time you come to spend the night. By then I will hold you to the same standards as I hold any Ranger who has a bunk here."

Which brought him back to... Raxëlilta. "You do have a bunk here, Ranger Raxëlilta. You should know that only rangers are free to come and go, and all others can only enter by my leave - or that of Captain Alarion or Lieutenant Dealedwen. Yet you led Tirdinen Duinion and Apprentice Erynneth believe it was acceptable for Erynneth to not only enter the entrance hall, but even the South Wing." He could hardly keep the exasperation from his voice. But one had to admire he was giving it a solid effort.

He gave Unalmis a long, silent stare. He now seemed uncannily and uncharacteristically calm. "I will do as you suggest, Ranger Raxëlilta. I will report this to Captain Alarion and Lieutenant Dealedwen. And I will demand action on their part toward you. I am done raging against the brick wall that is the thickness of your head." He almost turned, but then seemed to change his mind, and his eyes flicked to the bottle Unalmis was holding.
"You seem adamant in your wish to avoid dehydration. You would never be so selfish to keep such a store all to yourself, surely. By the sheer quantity of bottles I can only assume you mean to supply the whole barracks of more palatable water than we already have available. You are to bring every bottle under your bed to the kitchens. Every bottle that manages to find its way there. Daily. So your comrades can all enjoy such impeccable refreshment. As for today's load, you are to start now. I will inform Sergeant Pete of your imminent arrival."

He looked to Duinion and Eryn. "Apprentice Erynneth. You are to leave the barracks at once. You can say a brief goodbye to your father here. If that will not suffice, you may help him down the stairs for a prolongued goodbye - outside of these walls. Regardless, by the time I return, you will no longer be here."

Lieutenant Brian stepped to the door, and halted for a moment. "Raxëlilta. One bottle at a time. No breaks." He left the door open, just as he had found it, and made his way down the stairs. He would first find Sergeant Pete and inform him of the orders Unalmis had been given. Then he would return to the matter of the inspections. He made a mental note that he should tell Pete that if Raxëlilta did not heed the given orders with the proper alacrity, Pete had to inform him. Promptly.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Arnyn

It was indeed a wonder that the lieutenant's head did not explode, as it seemed quite clear that he was containing a vast amount of... something. Rage? Frustration? Whatever the case, it seemed that he really ought to find some way of venting it so that there was not such a dangerous build up.

Duinion's 'arrival' had, unfortunately, not been unobserved as he had hoped. He had rather hoped that Unalmis would have held the man's attention for a bit longer, so he might not be seen getting up from the floor. But whatever. It wasn't the worst thing that could've happened, by far. He listened in silence as Lt. Brian began to speak, and gave a small nod of his head as the man embarked on what seemed far too much like a scolding.

"Any Ranger may enter the barracks. Yet Erynneth Raedor is not one,"

"Yet..." The girl in question interjected under her breath, only to receive a stern glance from her father that silenced any further comment in any regard.

"Of course, lieutenant." Duinion answered at last, once Brian had concluded his lecture toward him. "My apologies on that. We were both unaware of the rules, and didn't realize we were breaking any. It will not happen again." As the lieutenant focused his attention again on Unalmis, Duinion turned to Eryn.

"Sorry," She mumbled. If she hadn't been worried so much about making him feel comfortable, she realized she would not have gotten either him or Nal in trouble, and felt bad about that now.

They didn't get much further before the lieutenant had returned his attention to Eryn, insisting she must leave. She gave a small sigh. "Yes, sir." She answered quietly. To her relief, and everyone else's, the lieutenant then departed. She sighed again, out of relief this time, and hugged her dad. "I'll see you tomorrow.. I hope you don't get into any more trouble," She frowned slightly up at him, worried.

"I'll be alright," He gave a little laugh. "Don't worry, Unalmis and I will survive. You'd better get going though. You wouldn't want to be late for your training."

"Oh..right!" She'd nearly forgotten she had other things to do, although she hadn't heard the bell yet to signify it was time for her to get to the houses of healing. And it was right there close, anyway. "Alright. Bye dad. Bye Nal," She sent an apologetic smile toward him, accompanied by a wave as she then hurried out before she endangered anyone else of the wrath of Lieutenant Brian. She very much hoped she would not run into him again on the way out, and also couldn't help wondering if he was that nosy with checking the ladies' wing.. for future knowledge.

After Eryn's departure, Duinion sighed softly as he found a seat at the edge of the bed. "Well. That was eventful." He remarked, partly to fill the emptiness afterward. He hesitated a moment, thinking about the lieutenant's remarks about the bottles of water. "Why do you keep so many bottles of water, anyway?" He wondered. "And why not keep them out of sight? Is it simply for the fun of antagonizing him?" He couldn't help a slight grin at that. It did seem like something Unalmis would do, after all.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Room 3

@Pele Alarion

The way Pele spoke made it seem like... she did not object. Hope soared. "Yes, a few at a time or preferably one on one perhaps," Arnyn ventured, watching Pele carefully. She did not dare hope that this might mean the Captain had actually agreed.

Pele seemed to weigh a few options then, and Arnyn waited patiently while her friend thought out loud. Every so often, she nodded to show she was following or agreed. When the subject of poisoning came around, the Lieutenant stored any and all information away. It seemed she still had a lot to learn on that front.

The look Pele gave her then, however, brought a different kind of alarm to Arnyn's mind. Her voice was quiet when she spoke. "It has been much longer than anticipated that you have been guarded so," she nodded. "And that you have needed to be on guard yourself. Perhaps this is the current torture Relic has in mind." The idea was disheartening, especially since Arnyn had not considered it before now. "If you are tired of this... perhaps it would be worth seeing if we can draw her out," she mused, alost drawling the words. "But only if you are... entirely sure." Arnyn was not particularly inclined to take big risks, especially not when they involved life and death situations. Yet it could not be helped, if Pele was losing too much heart. "Then we should probably involve a few people who have done that sort of thing before." Her dark brown eyes assessed Pele's blues. "Unless you have a plan all worked out?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Ranger Unalmis Raxëlilta
and Lieutenant Brian
Room 1, South Wing. Barracks. Before “The Sleepover”
@Rillewen @Arnyn

When it became clear that Lieutenant Brian was ignoring the offered refreshment, Unalmis eventually lowered his arm, and the bottle. But he didn’t relinquish it. He was far too distracted to recall that it remained still in his hand. He was distracted by the way that the Barracks Master had shifted his glance right through him, and focused now beyond .. so that the young man knew just what must have transpired without ever glancing back to see. Duinion. Now there would be some fun ! Dropping his head forward, just slightly, Nal fought the urge to smile. Albeit that he would likely be safe to, spared as he was for a time now from the officer’s scrutiny.

The words which were exchanged by the two titled men were taut but tolerant. Just enough. Nal stood an entranced witness as they batted back and forth, testing the lay of the land. He could almost taste the hope in Duinion’s tone, when the Tirdinen supposed aloud that he might have to just go home after all .. so of course the Lieutenant swiftly dismissed that as an option. Clearly escape would not be obtained so easily. Even for poor Eryn, who was delivered her second command in as many months to be gone from the officer’s sight. It was rather quite amazing that she had not given up on her ambition to enlist at all, in the face of such overwhelming hostility from an officer ! Of course the fact that she was only more determined and would not be so easily set aside, did her spirit all kinds of justice. And the tiny, barely audible emission of “Yet” from the girl, evoked a release of amused breath from the younger Ranger. Glancing sidelong, he watched the apprentice healer relent though to her parent’s warning and quietly took a sip of his water bottle before he was tempted to wade in on her behalf.

Unalmis did not possess the talent of knowing when another soul was lying. His particular talent lay in dismantling good sense and reason. And as Brian continued to declare the facts, so black and white, that non rangers were not ever and under no circumstances allowed in the building, the Ranger rolled brown eyes. He could imagine it clear as day: .. the city under siege and this, the sole building left standing for folks of Minas Tirith to take cover from perilous projectiles that were threatening to wipe out their whole population. No doubt the Barracks Master would have been stood fierce afront the door, outlawing any non rangers inside. Because rules are the rules.

Ridiculous. There were always going to be circumstances in which regulations needed to be flexible. And honestly who had it hurt, to let Eryn see where her father would be staying ? What damage had it done to anybody for Duinion to meet an alien environment with someone familiar to share the moment with him ? So he had not felt so overwhelmed. So he had not felt so lost. Was that really too much to ask ? Nobody had died. The sun had not rolled over in the sky and sunk into the sea. Rules for the sake of rules were just, in his opinion, ridiculous. And if this was the cost of a favour for a friend, then it was an acceptable sacrifice.

Admittedly when the Lieutenant revealed that he HAD known, apparently the whole time, that Duinion was coming to spend the night, Unalmis was stunned. Was all this bother then due to Brian feeling slighted ? All that disrespecting Eyn’s honour ? Had the Barracks Master actually been out of his office earlier that morning, preparing some grand speech to greet the latest unfortunate to fall under his jurisdiction ? Was that why the man seemed so inexplicably annoyed ? Because he hadn’t been here quickly enough to do what actually should count as his duties, giving a tour to a new lodger, helping him up the stairs .. that sort of a thing ? Because Unalmis had done it .. well, clearly not the way at all that Brian would have done.

Unalmis was still caught in the throes of possibility, when he realised the officer had remembered him. With a quick blink, the young man straightened up, not entirely able to dismiss his confusion since Brian .. wait, was agreeing ? He was agreeing with him ? For one truly incredible moment, the Ranger was allowed to believe that the tyrant was not going to hand out any more punishments. He’d been written up before after all, and nothing had ever come of it. A part of him had assumed the Captain would not really bother with such silly misdemeanours as the Barracks Master blew out of proportion. Yes, he’d annoyed Brian. But really, Pele and that other Lieutenant must have far more important things to be worrying about than whether lights in the dorms were turned out on time and that sort of thing.

The young man must have looked too glad to receive such a damning sentence. For mere moments later, the Barracks Master really could not help himself. Nal glanced from the bottle in his hand to the direction of what he and the Lieutenant both knew lurked beneath his bed. And already he had decided, though he was not so foolish to say so .. that if every bottle that manages to find its way under his bed must be taken down to the kitchens, he would just have to store them in the bottom of his wardrobe tomorrow. He’d not been told he couldn’t have them there.

Moving to bid Eryn farewell, Unalmis found Brian not yet satisfied, and so faced some further, last minute, directions (the officer was learning .. ) with a final, “Lieutenant” for acknowledgement. It was seconds before he called out “See you soon, Eryn”, in a cheerful voice, as his friend departed. He would not, if he could help it, have his friend to start her day now worrying over the recent altercation.

That was standard,Nal laughed then, perhaps too fast, in response to Duinion. And idled back into the room where they two had been abandoned. “Now. Do you want to amuse yourself examining more hidden corners of the room while I’m gone ?” he raised one eyebrow. “Or would you like to go back down to the common room straight away ?” The choice was absent of any blatant reminder that the Tirdinen might require help to manage the latter but he wasn’t sure if the older man would be easy yet in the room alone. “I only ask because the staircase might be commandeered by some idiot running up and down in a moment. And you might not hear the Barracks Master coming back, over all that racket ..” he grinned, “So if you were counting on making a dash for it to avoid seeing him again so soon, you might want to take that into consideration.

Offering a bottle of water from under his bed, to his new room mate, Unalmis left it on the table between them, with meaning. “It is only water,” he promised. He had after all suggested there would be refreshment after the great climb upstairs. The Ranger took another sip from his own bottle before re-sealing it and leaving it on the table, closer to his own bed. He might need another sip of that by the time this was done and the kitchens wouldn’t want to drink from something he already had.

Duinion was waiting on some explanation though, and so the younger shrugged. “There is no rule against keeping sealed bottles of non-alcoholic content in a dorm room. Our fastidious Barracks Master is no doubt already planning to edit it in to the handbook as an amendment. But don’t you know,” his face dropped into an atypical sobriety for a moment. “Dehydration can kill you,” he reported, with a firm but brief nod to declare his sincerity. And before he could be asked to clarify any further than that, Unalmis set off with his first bottle of water, for the kitchens. He hummed as he went about the errand, apparently undeterred by the gravity with which it had been assigned.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

"Standard, huh?" He grinned, and shook his head slightly. At least this encounter had answered one thing for him, and while it was disappointing to think that a certain visitor wouldn't be allowed to come here, even if he was willing... Duinion certainly wouldn't want to cause his friend to get into any trouble. He'd just find other places to meet him, since he had to spend his time in town anyway. Not today, however, since there was really no way to go all that distance. Not in the amount of time that he had, and not without drawing attention to the friend in question... attention he might not appreciate. So he would have to just remain here.

Unalmis' question, and the choices he had offered, drew Duinion's gaze toward the window. It was rather upsetting to realize how difficult it was going to be, getting in and out. The stairs might as well have been a vast canyon between himself and the outdoors, and the cheery sunlight that awaited him. But at least the window allowed plenty of daylight to pour into the room. "I'm alright here," He assured Unalmis, and paused as he turned to find a bottle held out toward him. He raised an eyebrow as Unalmis assured him it was only water, and he couldn't help wondering a little more about this water. Accepting the bottle, he examined it curiously by holding it up to the light. "Thank you. Do you mind if I ask... from where did you acquire the water?" He asked, half-suspicious, and half-teasing.

Watching his young friend set off after a moment to follow the lieutenant's orders, Duinion smiled faintly and set the bottle on the nightstand within reach. He wasn't really thirsty right now, and didn't feel like eating or drinking at the moment. In Unalmis' absence, he quietly situated himself a little more comfortably on the bed, his injured leg stretched out in front of him and resting on the pillow Eryn had brought for that purpose. He pulled his pack closer and looked through it to see what else Eryn had packed for him. Some snacks. A few books. A jar of the tea he'd been using so much of lately due to its pain relieving properties. Various other assorted, but very thoughtfully chosen items. He smiled faintly at the thoughtfulness of his daughter as he laid each item out across the bed around him, then looked around and sighed. Regardless of all of this, it was going to be a long day and night.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Common room

She didn't miss the rather wry smile Duinion was wearing when she mentioned the escape of certain duties. His orders to spend time at the barracks and in the city every two weeks, were not excluded from such a wager as far as she was concerned - although he clearly doubted it. She did not comment and let him think his thoughts. He needed time. Time to get to know her. Time to trust her. And Arnyn intended to grant it to him.

Surprised that he would offer a suggestion of his own, she looked over to him with mild curiosity. Duinion's suggestion drew an outright laugh from Pele, and Arnyn grinned quietly as she looked down at the book in her lap. The grin grew somewhat as Pele spoke of the consequences such a game would have, and Arnyn had to hold back an amused snort. That the Barracks Master was not her favorite person would be putting it lightly, but there was still a modicum of respect that she felt needed to be displayed toward him, especially in front of other rangers. With Pele, privately, she would have reacted more freely perhaps. But not here, in the common room, and not with another ranger present. She could not undermine Brian's authority... too much.

"If you sign off on a game like that, Captain, then the resulting paperwork is all yours," Arnyn commented lightly, her brown eyes sparkling with humour. She, for one, would be staying out of it. She couldn't see herself tempting the Barracks Master to a laugh, not even with a million tries at her disposal. The dislike between them was simply too strong. She had some rangers in mind, though, who might have a shot. Then again, Brian was a very specific nut to crack.

"A laughing game might be fun, all the same," Arnyn suddenly shrugged. "A competition of sorts, and who laughs is out until the most iron-willed ranger is left standing." She grinned again. "Would you fare well in such a contest, Duinion?" she inquired. As for Pele, Arnyn already knew it would likely depend on the day and the Captain's mood.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Pele Alarion

Tirdininen Duinion Raedor
Common Room - open Rp with Arnyn and Pele

Duinion's smile grew a little bigger. It was nice to find something amusing, at least. It helped take the mind off of less pleasant things, anyway. "I was really only joking," He assured the two ladies with a slight grin. "I doubt anyone would succeed, and he'd likely have everyone written up on every sort of offence imaginable." He rolled his eyes at the idea of it, and hardly dared try to imagine what Unalmis was likely to end up trying. Probably the sort of mischief he and Dom might have pulled, at Unalmis' age.

Arnyn's question toward himself drew his gaze back to the lieutenant. "Me?" He paused to consider that, and shook his head. "I think I would not fare well." He decided after a moment's consideration. Despite there being times when he was sorrowful and feeling down, he felt that he'd be glad for something to laugh about and would not want to hold back from it. "I'm afraid I also have no good stories to share for this story night thing, if we do that. But it might be enjoyable to listen to any tales the others wish to share." He added thoughtfully. Many of those he had to tell were unhappy stories, or else were as much someone else's story as his, and he couldn't think of any stories he would be willing to share with a whole group. Especially a group composed of people he didn't know that well.

High Warden of Tower
Officer Quarters, Room 3

"It really has been so long that it nearly does feel like torture, and I suspect it might even be intended that way. That sense of always present danger no matter how hard I try to forget about it sometimes to relax if even a little bit so that I would not go wild," Pele said, the weary tone lingering in her voice, though she did not let herself go any further than that. She would have wished to let herself be weak, sit down on her bed and hide her face in her hands, but instead she remained by the window and went silent as she thought of possible practicalities.

"I also think," she spoke again, meeting Arnyn's gaze thoughtfully. "The longer this drags on, the more chances there are more damage will be done to innocent people. She knows I would take responsibility and feel guilty should anything happen to other people. It's no use waiting for her to strike when we don't really know what she would do. It is rather counterproductive, letting her call the shots. So yes..." She paused again briefly and bit on her lip before continuing. "It might be good to see if she can be lured out. Into a place of our choice, a more or less controlled environment if possible. I don't have a plan all set out in detail, and some expert opinions would come in handy."

Pele
moved to her desk and took a sip of the tea which had already cooled off. Cup in hand, she turned around to face her friend again. "What would you say?" she asked. "I'd be more ready for us to make the move first, if possible. I'm at risk either way, so why not."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Room 3

@Pele Alarion

"It would not be my preference and my instincts warn against it," she admitted. "But it is true that you are at risk however we continue to play at this game. Right now, it is her game. Maybe it would be a good thing to try and make it our own."

Arnyn's voice quieted down. "I do not want anything to happen to you, Pelepele. Then again, I can see how this waiting and worrying is chipping away at you. In the end, this is your battle. I firmly believe you are the one who should choose how to fight it. If you want to draw her out, I will do everything I can to help you do that." She offered Pele a faint smile. "Although I am not sure how much creativity I will be able to offer in the shaping of this plan. We would need to create an opportunity for Relic she would find impossible to resist, yes? Do you have any idea of what she would find hard to turn away from?"

"Would you be the best bait? Or would she find it more appealing to..." Arnyn drew in a breath, not really wanting to think of such things, "...go for a different target for whom, as you say, you would feel responsible for?" She steeled herself and shoved down the part of her that felt uncomfortable speaking of this to Pele. "Is it your blood she wants, to be done with it? Or have you scorned her so badly that she wants to take you apart in different ways, first?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Common room,
Open RP

@Arnyn , @Rillewen

"Ah, I am not sure I'd want more work on that front," Pele shook her head thinking of a constant stream of complaints from Lt. Brian. "Better not suggest any idea like that when any of our younger members are within hearing. At least the Barracks Master knows how to keep things reasonably in order around here."

She gave thought to the laughing-endurance game, listening to Duinion and playing with the ends of her hair - at least it had grown back past her shoulders again though had not reached the former length. "Well, I wonder if any of us would last beyond a few hours in the right circumstances, though depends..." she remarked, unsure that she'd do much better either if she found something truly funny.

"Somehow I don't believe you don't have stories to share, Duinion," she then said, though her smile faded when she realised that she was not sure how many of her stories were of the entertaining kind - however, the story did not always have to be funny to be good. "Perhaps it is worth starting something like this up during one of the meals even? Though the setting..." she said, glancing at Arnyn.

High Warden of Tower
Officer Quarters, Room 3

"I'd prefer not to die, really," Pele said after a few moments of silence during which she considered what Arnyn had said. She took a deep breath and then sighed, before continuing, "But even more so I would not want anyone else to do so because Relic cannot be contained and is running around here without concern wreaking havoc. She would end up killing people sooner or later if we don't take this game in our own hands. So yes, I'd rather we set up something that would lure her out of her hiding - or perhaps she isn't even hiding properly."

Pele slid her hand into her pocket and pulled out the intricate ring that had been found in the office. She studied it for a few moments, turning it round and round, before sliding it back into her pocket and looking back at Arnyn.

"Ah, I'm sure she'd want to pick me apart bit by little bit, soul and body. Perhaps..." she rubbed her chin with the index finger, thinking. "If she were made to believe that I really am falling apart and am helpless, she'd take the opportunity for a direct confrontation. Just... how to make it happen as I would rather not go to such a place of falling apart in reality - which might become the case eventually if we do not root her out for a long time."

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Room 3 - South Wing Barracks
Late evening - Day of the Midsummer Festivities

A buzzing sound in his ears was the first thing that Trastion was aware of. It took over all other senses. It seemed to be the only thing that existed. For what felt like ages, he lay very still, trying to understand what this sound might be. Had his head been invaded by bees? That didn't seem logical but no other explanation seemed forthcoming. Was he awake? Alive? Could he move? Slowly, with great effort, he stirred, and discovered that yes, he could move. He did still have a body, so that meant he was alive. Right? But what happened? Where was he? Why.. so many questions started to form and then fell apart. He was too drowsy to bother.

But something had happened. That thought clung to the front of his mind, reminding him that he shouldn't let himself doze off again. But what was it? With even greater effort, Trastion's eyes slowly opened. They felt too heavy, as if he was waking up after only an hour or two of much-needed sleep. How long had he been asleep? He didn't even remember going to bed. And whatever dreams he'd had.. they kept slipping away when he tried to recall them. What had he been dreaming about? Why couldn't he remember? It took a moment to realize that his eyes had slid closed again, and so with a struggle, he forced them open once more. And still couldn't tell much about where he was.

His vision swam, blurred and spinning. And everything was strangely dark. Why was it dark? Shouldn't it be bright and sunny? Wasn't it just about noontime? He closed his eyes again with a soft groan. And didn't hear it, though he felt the noise happen in his throat. The buzzing had faded slightly by now, but no other sounds seemed to be coming to his ears. Maybe he was still in a dream. Maybe he was asleep. But what was that smell? It was overpowering. He turned his head, trying to get away from it, but it didn't help. "Ugh..." He groaned. This time the sound reached his ears, but as if from a long distance, muffled or distorted, like he was underwater or something. If this was a dream, he didn't like it. Time to wake up. With the greatest effort yet so far, Trastion made an attempt at sitting up. He got as far as raising onto one elbow, and regretted it. The buzzing returned, his vision swam, and he became aware of a throbbing in his head, as another sense returned to him. Pain. He collapsed back down, wincing as his hands clenched around whatever was nearby, trying to endure the pain. He felt like his head was splitting apart! "Ohhh..my head..." He tried to lie still, waiting and hoping the throbbing pain would pass. It faded a bit, but remained.

After a few moments, he became aware that, while one hand was gripping what felt like blankets, the other was wrapped around something hard and solid. He relaxed his grip on the blanket, but what was the other thing? Trying to distract himself from the pain in his head, he raised up his hand, trying to make his eyes focus on the item, trying to figure out what it was. But the room was dark, and his vision was blurred, and so he found it difficult to make out what it was that he was holding. It seemed unimportant, and he let his hand fall back to the bed. It was a bed, he was fairly sure. It was too soft to be the floor or ground. If he could have seen himself, he would have realized that he was sprawled out on the wrong bed. And that his shirt was damp, and his armor and boots were strewn carelessly about the room. His neck and jaw had a faintly reddish, irritated look to it. And that, although it had been around noon when he was last aware of anything, it was now dark outside, which was why the room seemed so dark. "Ugh... lemme wake'p 'lready," He mumbled, either to himself, or whoever was in charge of his being stuck in this horrible dream.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Barracks - Common room

"During one of the meals..." Arnyn shook her head. "You know there will be at least one story about a food fight somewhere... It could give people ideas. That paperwork, as well, I won't touch," Arnyn laughed. "I am in favor of a situation that is much less likely to result in food all over all of us. As well as all over the mess hall." Clearing her throat and quite deliberately omitting that she was no stranger to food fights herself, the Lieutenant failed to look like the epitome of innocence she had wanted to convey. However, she soon thought to divert any undesired attention from that front.

"Hmm, well... If everyone thinks their stories are not worth sharing and only come to listen to others, perhaps no stories at all shall be told," she said with a faint smile.

Barracks - Room 3

@Pele Alarion

Arnyn's eyes narrowed as she listened to Pele's reponse. Relic would prefer to pick Pele apart rather than someone else, or at least that was Pele's impression. "If she believes you are falling apart and helpless..." Arnyn repeated, her tone nearly deadpan. It was not something she wanted to think about. Not in the least.

"We would need to do more than simply set the scene on any given day, I take it," she said, not hiding the reluctance in her voice. "Meaning, Relic would need to see you dropping the ball or behaving strangely a few times before we set the actual trap we want her to walk into." Arnyn eyed Pele searchingly. "And on the day of the trap, we want her to think you are alone and less capable of defending yourself? Is that what you mean? For example, perhaps you could present yourself as ill and tired?"

"I am concerned that Relic will only believe you are alone if you are in fact alone. If everything you have told us is true, she is no fool..."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Child of Gondor
Ranger Mourgan Alarion
Barracks Rm 3
W/ Recruit Trastion
@Rillewen

The night had become long. After making sure the prisoner was secured he couldn’t go back to see Cali. He was sure she’d headed back to her home after such a stressful encounter. He would have like to seen her but decided to just call it and evening. Go back to the barracks and have a drink to stave off the headache that was forming.

Heavy boots steps echoes along the quiet hall, it’d gotten dark and most men were a sleep. He wanted to count himself among those lucky enough to be lost in their dreams. Past Barrack 1 he walked then past 2, he could see the doorway to 3 coming up. An exhausted exhale was the only sound he made in his relief to be so close to his target, his pillow.

As he opened the door the scene before him made him stop in his tracks. Armor tossed everywhere with the smell of a certain hard to get liquor hanging thick in the air. His brown eyes moved over what looked to have been a party for one and the one seemed to be trying to continue. Was that his flask he was holding?! Mourgan gnashed his teeth together with irritation. The fact that he also lay on his bed just caused his jaw to clench tighter.

Didn’t he ever learn anything? Did he want to be dismissed from the Rangers?! Did he want Mourgan to be dismissed for beating up his roomie?! Mourgan quickly closed the door to keep anyone from witnessing any harm he did to the kid. He stepped over the scattered armor to the side of the bed. “Trastion! Wake up!! I need you awake when I hit you.” He grabbed him by the damp shirt and pulled him into a seated position. He took the empty flask from his hand and put it away.

“Trastion wake up.” He slapped at his cheek. “Wake up ex roomie, we need to talk.”
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP