Escape to Tortuga!

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Arien
Arien

Welcome, hearties! Your ship is heavy with bounty and it’s now time to sail for home port where your share can be divvied up and spent. You want to be the first back in the pirate fleet so you can get your hands on the goodies first! But there’s a long track of whale-road to cross before you can get there… and there’s pursuit and many dangers in these waters…

HOW TO PLAY
- RP yourself as a crew member - or whoever, really - on a boat of your choosing. You may team up with other RPers if you want but please state so in bold at the top of your post if you’re doing so, so I know whom to roll for!
- Your aim is to be the first to make it to Tortuga. You will reach Tortuga once you have amassed 50 leagues (points). Don’t come at me on systems of measurement. I freely admit I have no idea what I’m doing.
- I will roll a die for you per post which will determine how far you travel per round. Sometimes you will have to defeat RP challenges on the way - and some rolls may send you back as well as forwards!
- You may roll once per 24 hours. Post as often as you like though I guess.
- No godmoding except for me
cave anserem

Esquire of The Mark
Captain Elizabeth Swann

Once the Pirate King of the Seas, Elizabeth Swann now captained her own ship, with a crew of lads and lassies. She was sun-tanned, her brown hair was somewhat bleached from the sun, she wore breeches and a puffy shirt, captain's jacket, and of course, a captains hat.

She shouted orders at her crew to get her ship (The Turner) moving. Soon they had taken off to the open water and were beginning their journey to Tortuga.

"Keep true! Away we go to Tortuga!"
And whither then? I cannot say...

Orc Chieftain
Angelica Teach

It took a while for Angelica Teach, daughter of Blackbeard, to get back on her old ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, since Capt. Jack Sparrow marooned her on an island shortly after tricking her into drinking from the wrong chalice, that ended up healing her wounds by claiming the life of her father, Edward Teach, otherwise known as Blackbeard.

When she saw the Queen Anne's Revenge on the horizon, she thought that somehow her father had miraculously survived, but it turned out to be none other than Hector Barbossa, an old rival of Jack Sparrow's that had a proposition for her; he would give her her old rank back if she helped him be the first to Tortuga, where riches await, but they would have to be the first to make it into port. For a reward, if Capt. Jack showed up, Barbossa would allow Miss Teach to get her revenge on the pirate who wronged her and led her life in a totally different direction (since she was about to take her vows to become a nun before Capt. Jack hid in her Spanish Convent that led her to a life of piracy, but if he didn't, she would have never found out about her father, so she owes him a bit of gratitude, even though she was still angry with him for tricking her and leaving her marooned).
He who commands the Ruling Ring... commands all

Arien
Arien
Update One!

@Melahny_oftheWoods You get off to a fine start and the Turner quickly makes three leagues! But there’s a ship behind you - be it friend or foe?

@Lady of Shadow Triumphantly you recover your ship and launch off. There’s a ship just ahead of you - the Turner!

Scores:
@Melahny_oftheWoods: 3
@Lady of Shadow: 2
cave anserem

Esquire of The Mark
Captain Elizabeth Swann

Elizabeth saw a pirate ship behind her, so she got out her spyglass and looked back a moment. It was the Queen Ann's Revenge. Elizabeth wondered who it could be? She thought the captain at the wheel looked slightly feminine but she couldn't be sure whether it was another female captain or not from this distance.

Elizabeth shouted some orders to speed up The Turner. Whether this captain was competition to the treasure in Tortuga or not, she or he certainly was a pirate ship. At least she wasn't about to be bombarded by the British Army, so she stayed calm and kept an eye upon the ship as she turned her wheel.

Arien
Arien
Update 2

@Melahny_oftheWoods You cry some orders to your sailors and pick up the pace! With your sails reset to catch the wind, you surge on another three leagues. The wind is in your hair and you’re clearly in the lead!

Scores:
@Melahny_oftheWoods 6
@Lady of Shadow 2

Still open to all to join at any stage!
cave anserem

Esquire of The Mark
Captain Elizabeth Swann

Elizabeth sighed in relief; The Turner was still in the lead and she was a bit ahead of the other ship. If anyone was going to get the treasure in Tortuga it would be The Turner! Elizabeth had just lost her husband, and it would be a long time before she saw him again. She had to look out for herself now--and likely a little one too, if her suspicions were correct. But she wasn't ready to give up the pirate life just yet, and that treasure would set her up if she ever wanted to retire from the seas.

"Full speed ahead!" Elizabeth shouted as one of her crewmen appeared at the wheel.

"I sense a storm brewing," he said ominously. "Bad luck for The Turner this day."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes and replied, "For the last time Smith, the only bad luck a woman on a ship will bring is death--upon you--if you continue to pester her!"

Smith narrowed his eyes and crossed his heart, then departed, muttering to himself. Elizabeth laughed, and suddenly feeling a lot like Jack Sparrow, shouted out, "More RUM!"

The crew cheered their approval and rolled out a barrel, singing shanties as they passed it along.

Arien
Arien
Update 3

@Melahny_oftheWoods The rum has gladdened the hearts of your men! The currents are with you and you sail on another six leagues!

Scores:
@Melahny_oftheWoods 12
@Lady of Shadow 2

Still open to all to join at any stage!
cave anserem

Esquire of The Mark
Captain Elizabeth Swann

Elizabeth cheered when her first mate told her they had surpassed another six leagues! They were almost there, leaving the other ship in, well, not the dust-- the waves! Although, truth be told, Elizabeth was starting to see a blurry outline around her wheel. "I better lay off the rum," she said to herself, then blushed angrily. "Oh God! I'm turning into Jack!"

"Smithy! Here, have the last dregs of this," she handed Smith (or Smithy, as she liked to call him) her bottle.

"Yo-ho!" Smithy cried, in rather a better temper now that he was pissed. Elizabeth chuckled, and in fact, the whole crew seemed to be a little more than tipsy. Ever since the rum had come out the crew sang (annoyingly at first) "What do you do with a drunken sailor?" Some of the more coarse crewmen added their own nasty ideas to the song. Next, they took up mocking a navel sea shanty, "Spanish Ladies," laughing as they came up with new insults for the navy sailors and their "ladies."

Now they were singing a chorus of "Dead Man's Chest," except they were all very out of sync with one another. A group near Elizabeth sang:

Fifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest
Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!
Drink and the devil had done for the rest
Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!

Just as they shouted the last words bottle of rum, Smithy sang out loudly, "drink and the devil had done for the rest!"

Elizabeth laughed and joined in at Smithy's time, "Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!"

Arien
Arien
Apologies all for the delay!

The Hallowe’en race has ended and @Melahny_oftheWoods was the clear Victor, sailing on 5 more merry leagues in her last roll and utterly outpacing everyone else to reach Tortuga comfortably with a hold full of treasure. You have been awarded some shinies accordingly!

@Lady of Shadow gets an honourable mention and also a sprinkle of shiny!

Thanks both for playing!
cave anserem

Esquire of The Mark
Thanks @Silky Gooseness!! It was fun. I will finish off the quest so the crew can get the treasures hehe.

Captain Elizabeth Swann

The Turner was mayhem. There were drunken brawls breaking out everywhere, and as the waves started to get a little rough, some of the newer crewmates, still finding their sea legs, began to get sick. Elizabeth realized too late what was happening. She quickly grabbed some water and drank as much as she could to get her head somewhat clear. Then she grabbed Smith by the collar and forced him to the wheel.

"Don't you dare go off course, I'll only be a moment!" she shouted at him and ran around the ship barking orders. This being her first long journey on The Turner she realized her new crew needed a bit more discipline than she'd anticipated. After several minutes, however, Elizabeth seemed to get things in order; she broke up a few fights, shouted at anyone who might be sick to do so into the water, not on her decks, and she cut off the rum for the time being.

"We are nearly there! We can all have more drink once we land," she said firmly to another group. Once everyone was back in position and working (at least half) decently, Elizabeth went back to the wheel and steered until they were ready to anchor. They'd made it!

Everyone who was coming ashore got into row boats and they landed with no issues. And they were the first ship here!

"Tortuga!" She shouted as they got out and entered the island. Now they were in the "pirate haven" and it was time to trade their wares. "Stick together everyone and do not humiliate me. This is our chance to make a name for The Turner."

Everyone agreed to behave (within reason) and they went off to trade their treasures!