The Wayfarer's Inn

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Éowyn
Éowyn
The Wayfarer’s Inn

In the eastern end of the Second Circle Marketplace, nestled against the southern base of the stone prow below the Seat of Echthelion, stands the Wayfarer’s Inn.
It is somewhat quiet here as it is on the outer edge of the hustle and bustle of the Marketplace. There are stables nearby on the First Circle to meet the needs of your equine friend.

The Inn is owned by a wonderful couple...Alfric ("Alf" for short) and Hildy Térandirs.
Their last name means "way-wanderer" in Sindarin and they are well known and liked by many a visitor and resident of the White City.

Inside you will find warmth and a comfortable feeling of home mixed with charm and quaint gentility.

There is a bar where friends sit to visit as well as tables spread into two rooms for those wanting to get something to eat or relax while having time with friends.

The Wayfarer's Inn offers several comfortable rooms for visitors and guests seeking accommodation in the White City. First class service without a first class price!

The Inn has a nice garden out back. There is a large porch with tables, chairs and large porch swings hanging from the ceiling.
Lanterns are attached to the walls, also providing a wonderful place for guests to spend an evening enjoying the fresh air under the stars.

So come in, pull out your maps and pipe, order a meal or a drink to quench your thirst, and enjoy the delights of fine company at the Wayfarer's Inn!

And a thank you to Karis Ziranphel, who had saved the text and images from 'yore' and okay'ed me using this now

Please do
  • Stay "in character"
  • Follow plaza and RP rules
  • Have a good time :winkkiss:
  • Roleplay Hildy and Alf as needed for your character to get the necessary refreshments/nourishment/accommodations
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Timing - some time in summer, perhaps to be specified later

Pele intended to take a proper lunch break for once since she usually just wolfed the food down and hurried back to work without taking the time off, so now, while she had eaten her lunch at the barracks mess, she came down all the way to the Wayfarer's, bringing with her a book, and a couple of rolled up maps.

"Alf, how is your business these days?" she greeted the innkeep as soon as she had stepped through the door and noticed him rearranging the items behind the counter. "Looks a bit quiet at the moment."

"Some of the hungry folks have already eaten, and I'm sure the more leisurely ones will swarm in here sooner or later, Pele," he responded, wiped the counter top and smiled at her. "And what will you have this day?"

"I will have... the quiet of your garden!"
Pele requested with a laugh. "If you don't mind. And two big cups of some juice or other, for now." She glanced at her guard, feeling responsible for taking some care of him at least while he was stalking her. Unceremoniously she handed one of the procured mugs of apple juice to her guard, snatched up the other, and escaped out into the garden before the innkeep could involve her in a lengthy small talk.

She piled three of the cushions that she found on the large porch swings against one end of it, tossed the maps near the back rest, and then nestled on the swings, resting her back against the cushions. "Go on, make yourself at home in the garden. You don't have to stand there and stare at me while I read," she shooed the guard off, knowing full well he would still remain nearby, perhaps just out of her field of vision. With a contented sigh, she opened the book though did not start reading it immediately; instead she simply relaxed and listened to the birds chirping in the garden.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Arnyn
July - 2 weeks and 3 days after midsummer

Her morning meeting with Duinion had gone rather well, all things considered. Some progress had been made between them - a good thing, no doubt. The thought of his effort to give her a fist-to-chest salute still made her smile. The rest of her morning shift at headquarters had been quiet, despite having failed at writing a reply to the Barracks Master’s report. Her attempts - and especially her resulting failure - had drained more energy than she would have liked.

Her early lunch at the barracks and impromptu meeting with Lieutenant Brian at the mess had been… a trade-off. However amusing his retelling of the events in the report had been, it felt like a waste of energy to have to deal with his indignation over every little thing. It seemed like the great earsplitting beast of Brian's indignation - the GEBOBI, if you would - eared its head every few days. Yet, in the end, the meeting had been rather satisfying. So. There was that.

Brian’s presence at the mess had meant she’d finished lunch in near record time, even if she had left his table after their brief conversation. Arnyn had had no inclination to linger and risk him addressing her again before she left. With a swift stride, she’d retreated to her room at the officers quarters. She’d decided to change out of the black uniform. She would have a few hours to herself, after all, and would not technically be on official business that afternoon. She had chosen a short-sleeved shirt in cobalt blue, pulling her long blonde hair out from behind the high collar. Next came a brown pair of pants with a high rise and a wide waist weapons belt made from brown leather. She attached to it her dagger and the straps for her longsword. After having laced up her knee-high brown loots, she’d fallen back on her bed for a moment, boots hovering just beyond the bed itself, into the air. Brown eyes staring at the ceiling.

The next moment, she had shaken it off, attached her longsword to the belt straps and added a small pouch holding no more than a purse and her Lieutenant’s badge. The nice weather caused her to leave even the lightest cloak behind in her room.

All of this had brought her to the Wayfarer’s Inn in the Second Circle of Minas Tirith not too long after midday. When most of the Rangers would be in the mess still actually eating lunch, here she was, several bells early - despite the detour to her favorite bookstore in the Marketplace.

Hildy greeted her with her usual warm words of welcome. Arnyn returned the woman’s smile and kind greeting, and ordered water and tea. She chose a corner table right next to the far wall. It was one of the few tables with the more comfortable stuffed chairs. Excellent chairs to get comfortable in. Once Arnyn had chosen a chair, an easy task, she detached her longsword from her weapons belt and placed it upright against the wall, close at hand. She sat, facing the door, pulled out the coin for her order and placed it on the table.

By the time her pitcher of water and the teapot arrived, accompanied by a glass and mug, she was reading. She smiled and thanked Hildy for her trouble, but soon returned her attention to the pages.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
Kaylin
July - 2 weeks and 3 days after midsummer

She had just come from the training grounds, wearing her heaviest armour. And it was too warm by far to make the entire trek up to the Sixth Circle without refreshment. Kaylin had somehow managed to get past the pubs on the First Circle, but really she had only been successful because she had told herself it had been too long since she'd paid Hildy and Alf a visit and she should grab a drink at the Wayfarer's, instead.

Despite the warmth of the day, and the heat under her leathers and metals, the redhead was whistling as she entered. Taking her sweet time to stomp the dust off her boots, Kaylin already called out. "Hildyyyy! How are you?!"

They quickly engaged in conversation while Hildy stayed busy and Kaylin took a seat at the bar. After the initial pleasantries, which included an inquiry from Hildy about Thûllir's wellbeing, Kaylin took a look around. "Pretty quiet in here," she allowed. "I haven't had the chance for lunch yet," she mused.

Hildy smiled. "I have just the thing."

Kaylin accepted the woman choosing her meal for her without any protest or so much as a comment. When the meal came, it was hot, but accompanied by water and juice. Kaylin drained the water all at once, and then sipped the juice with a content look on her face. She gave Hildy a questioning look.

"Rabbit," she said.
"Oooooh. Fancy."
"Not really," Hildy admitted. "Our own have really... been at it. We were running out of space."
Kaylin was too busy wolfing down the stew to say much more.
Hildy left her to it.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn

Once Kaylin's bown was empty and the juice had been downed, she ordered a light ale and slipped off the barstool to turn her back to the bar and put her elbows on it, behind her. She leaned backwards leisurely to survey the room in closer detail. A few tables were occupied, but the inn was rather slow. It was a week day, of course, and it now being shortly after lunchtime, it made sense. Still. Kaylin pursed her lips in slight discontent. It would have been nice to kick back with someone.

Her lips parted with some surprise when she saw someone who had tucked herself away in a corner. Now, that could be interesting. After thanking Hildy for the ale and making her usual gesture that meant 'put it on the tab' (she just paid everything on the way out), Kaylin pushed away from the bar, ale in hand, and approached the tall blonde. She had her nose in a book. Kaylin had a different idea.

"Lieutenant!" Her tone was good-humored, effervescent really. Kaylin put down her ale on the table with a happy thud.

Arnyn slowly flicked up her gaze from the book to the redheaded ranger. She looked Kaylin up and down, as if she were calculating the probability of the woman leaving her alone versus that of not being able to escape her company. "Kaylin," she returned the greeting, though not as enthusiastically.

"Reading, at a bar?" Kaylin asked, leaning forward to put her hands on the table. "Must be an exceptionally good read then. Because there's plenty of more entertaining things to do."

Arnyn smiled faintly and reached up to scratch the back of her neck. Taking a placeholder, she put it on the page she'd been reading and closed the book. "I'm not at the bar," she replied. "More interesting things, you say. Is that right?"

"Indeed, it is!" Kaylin stated with enough conviction to win over the biggest of introverts. "Especially when you have good company." The redhead pointedly tapped a finger on her own chest.

This drew forth a laugh from Arnyn. She wasn't even an introvert, and thus very willing to give Kaylin a chance. She had been getting to know the Hyandaner much better lately, but they had never been at a pub or an inn together. It could be... an experience. "Alright then. I'm ready to be impressed."

Kaylin grinned broadly. She pointed at the darts board, which actually wasn't too far away. "Up for a game, Lieutenant?"

With a thoughtful expression, Arnyn's gaze went from Kaylin, to the darts board, back to Kaylin. "You have throwing knives in your basic equipment, don't you?"

"Aye, just like you."

Arnyn slapped her hands down on her knees and flashed a disarming smile at the redhead. "Should be interesting, then."

After Kaylin had unburdened herself from the metal parts of her gear, they played a game - which Kaylin won. Arnyn ordered more ale for the Hyandaner and more water for herself. The blonde won the next game. The game after that, as well. By the time the third game was all but decided, Kaylin was slightly buzzed. She slapped Arnyn on the shoulder, a bit too hard, after the latter had thrown a dart into the bull's eye. Arnyn smirked and slapped Kaylin right back, who laughed abundantly when she had to take a step to rebalance herself.

"Alright - alright," the redhead decided, "enough darts. Next up: dice!" She grinned. "I should warn you: I'm insanely lucky with the dice."

"I don't play for money," Arnyn said, although she felt sorry if that would mean the fun was over.

"We don't have to play for money," Kaylin shrugged. "We can play for eternal glory!"

"Ahhh, yes - bragging rights," Arnyn nodded wisely. "I'm in."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Trastion stepped inside, holding back a sigh as he headed toward the bar in hopes someone could help him. He'd had no duties today, but had embarked upon a quest of his own. He'd started on the sixth level, working his way down through the circles until he arrived at this one. So far he was not having any luck at all, and was beginning to doubt he would. It had seemed a simple enough task when he set out in the morning, but now, having gone through every establishment between the ranger commons and here, he was beginning to have his doubts. Yet, he knew Mourgan had to have gotten the stuff somewhere, so he just had to figure out where.

As soon as he stepped in, however, Trastion stopped. His gaze landed on the two ranger women, and hesitated, feeling a little uncomfortable to proceed with his quest at the moment. He left the borrowed flask tucked away out of sight.
"Can I help you?" The lady at the bar asked.
"Um.. just some water, please." He answered, a little awkward about posing the question he'd come to ask. But it was a hot day and he hadn't thought about getting anything to drink for himself lately, and gladly accepted the glass of water, glancing over to see what Arnyn and Kaylin were up to, curiously watching as they seemed to be playing dice.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn

Arnyn learned Kaylin had not been bluffing. The redhead was exceptionally lucky. Almost to the point you thought she might be cheating - even though Arnyn could not catch Kaylin doing anything suspicious. "This is unbelievable!" she exclaimed after Kaylin had gotten the better pair of eyes once again. Then she laughed. "A hidden talent! If ever one of our own is in a nasty bind with some gamblers, I now know who to send to turn the tide."

Kaylin took a swig of ale and grinned. "Hidden, you say! When I make such efforts to play in different places throughout the city? I might have to go to Harlond to catch an unlucky soul who isn't yet aware of my good fortune with the dice. Honestly, Lieutenant, I'm surprised at you. You seem to know so much of all else that is going on around here..."

"Minas Tirith is a large place," Arnyn said gravely, as if she took Kaylin's words to heart. She signalled for another round and gave Hildy a signal Kaylin did not recognise.

"Oy, oy, Arnyn," Kaylin began as if she were shocked, though her eyes sparkled. "Are you trying to get me drunk?"

"Never," the blonde claimed seriously, and then put her forearms on the table to lean forward. "However. Time to play my game now, Ms Maethyr."

Kaylin raised an eyebrow. When Hildy brought over another ale for Kaylin and more water for Arnyn, she also put down a deck of cards on the table.
"Cards?" the Hyandaner asked, somewhat incredulous.

"Hmm." Arnyn calmly sipped her water. "Do you know how to play the game called Never Nervous?"

The redhead's eyes widened. Never Nervous was a particularly fast card game, and a duel in the sense that it was always one person playing another. It went increasingly faster as the game progressed and you needed to be lucky, tactical, fast and agile to win. It had, however, been a long time since she'd played this game. It had been years.

When Arnyn picked up the deck of cards, her eyes flicked around the inn, and caught Trastion sitting by the bar. He seemed to be watching them, although he looked a bit uncomfortable when she noticed him. "Trastion!" the Ranger Lieutenant called out to him. "Come, if you have the time! Watch our game. Perhaps you know it and would like a turn as well. It is a young people's game, after all."
Arnyn gave Kaylin a conspiratorial smile. "Although few men have the necessary calm of mind for it, I've found."
Last edited by Arnyn on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

A glass of water was set before him, before the lady went to get Arnyn and Kaylin what they'd asked for. Trastion watched them curiously. He had barely met Kaylin but thought she seemed like a fun person, so it was no surprise to see her sitting there laughing and drinking. It looked like Arnyn was here for fun too. He knew she could be teasing and funny, but had never actually seen her in an environment like this before, and wasn't quite sure how to take it. What was that she was drinking? It looked like a glass of water, just like he had, but then.. he hadn't spent much time in taverns, and hadn't really learned much about the various drinking options. It could be anything, for all he knew. Was there liquor that was clear like water? Perhaps. He felt quite out of place here, and wondered if maybe he should go.

Just then Arnyn noticed him and called him over. Too late to sneak out now. Taking his glass of water along, Trastion slowly wandered over to stand next to their table. "Hello Lieutenant. Ranger Kaylin," He smiled politely to them both. "What are you playing? I'm.. not very familiar with any card games.. I doubt I'll want a turn. But I can watch, and keep you company if you like." In fact, he only knew a few children's games with cards, that he'd used to occasionally play with his brother growing up, then later with his sister. It was far more likely to find any of them running and climbing and playing active games, outside.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn
@Rillewen

Kaylin grinned at Arnyn's words. "A good time then to start playing for money, perhaps?" she replied to Arnyn's last comment. "I think my luck is about to end."

Arnyn's expression remained neutral. "Kaylin, you remember Recruit Trastion, yes?" Arnyn reminded the red-headed Hyandaner, who simply nodded and raised her mug to the young man. Arnyn gave a wave at his question. "Never Nervous is what we are playing. Company will do fine, if we cannot tempt you for a turn," she allowed. After dealing the cards one by one, the two women each made five stacks. The first stack had one card, the second two cards, and so on; the fifth stack had five cards. Then they turned over the top card of each stack. If there were any double cards, such as nine of hearts and nine of spades, they put one card on top of the other and turned over the next card of the now 'hidden' stack. From the remaining cards in their hands, they each put one card in the center of the table, between them. Then they tried to count up or down from those two cards, using the cards in their stacks. Arnyn could use Kaylin's card, and Kaylin could use Arnyn's. If Arnyn were to put a 5 on a 6, she could then put another 6 on that 5, or she could put a 4 on the 5. Kaylin could do the same if she could - the fastest player ruled the game. The goal was to get rid of your cards first, and then hit the smallest of the two center stacks first. Then this stack would be added to your cards, until such a time as there was one of the players who had no more cards than the five stacks they laid out in front of them. And then, if this player was the first one to hit the 'empty' center stack, they won.

Arnyn had no luck with the cards dealt - Kaylin could count up and down much more easily than she could with the cards on the table. However, when Kaylin's center stack was empty and the redhead's cards were gone, Arnyn's hand deftly found itself underneath Kaylin's on the 'empty' center stack. Kaylin parted her lips in annoyed disbelief. "What!"

The Lieutenant just smiled and started making her new five stacks. "Too slow, Maethyr," she teased quietly. Kaylin eyed Arnyn with a mix of surprise, indignation and the slightest hint of amusement. Arnyn smiled at Trastion as she waited for Kaylin to make her own five stacks. "Never get complacent when you are the one easily getting rid of your cards," she advised him, even though he'd said he wouldn't play. "Your opponent can still outmaneuver you if you're not careful."

The game continued and went back and forth a few times. But it was Arnyn who won, by the sound of Kaylin crying out her loss and joy at the game at the same time. "Ahhh! Damn it!" Kaylin exclaimed. "Good game, though!" Kaylin took another swig of ale and frowned at Arnyn's glass. "Although you have me at a disadvantage, Lieutenant. Is this why you have been being the drinks? Serving me alcohol and nothing but water for yourself?"

With a satisfied half-smile, Arnyn shrugged one shoulder. "I just kept ordering what we started with. The alcohol addling your mind is merely a happy side effect."

Kaylin narrowed her eyes at the other woman. She wasn't sure whether to laugh or feign offence! "Rematch," she demanded.

This was obliged by a nod and s stack of cards put pointedly in front of Kaylin. It was the latter's turn to deal.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

"Hello again," He greeted Kaylin with a polite nod. "I still haven't had a chance to hear any of those stories you hinted at," Trastion mentioned with a slightly mischievous smile to Kaylin, recalling she had made mention of 'The stories' about Arnyn, when he met her at that meeting. Then he grinned slightly, with a teasing glance toward the lieutenant as he pulled up a chair, taking a seat at their table to watch.

"I've never heard of that one," He admitted, curiously watching them deal out the cards. Trastion sipped his water periodically as he watched them go through the game, trying to keep up and make sense of it. For a moment, it seemed that Kaylin was going to win, but then Trastion was surprised when Arnyn hit her hand on the table first, and by Kaylin's reaction, this meant that Arnyn had won. He tilted his head, trying to make sense of the rules to this game, and smiled back at his trainer after her comment. "Somehow I have a feeling that's meant to apply to more than just cards." He mentioned, feeling sure that the comment could double for a lesson for sword fighting.

It was somewhat amusing to hear Kaylin's protest, based on the fact of Arnyn drinking water while she had.. whatever she had. "You know," He said with a slightly teasing glance at Kaylin, "just because you have a drink in front of you doesn't mean you have to drink it." He pointed out, meaning basically.. it was her own fault that her senses were dulled. He glanced at Arnyn curiously. "So, was that one round? Or more than one?" He wondered, a bit unsure what made up a whole round of this game.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn
@Rillewen

Kaylin laughed briefly at Trastion's words about the stories. "Well, something to remedy soon," she agreed, giving Arnyn an amused look.

The Lieutenant merely took another sip of her water. She did not seem bothered by the exchange. "You should keep in mind that Kaylin is not a first-hand source. What she heard could therefore lie very far from the truth."

A satisfied smile made its way to Kaylin's face as she leaned her elbow on the table and rested her chin in the cup of her hand. "We have some mutual friend, Lieutenant," she said sweetly. "Friends we both value and trust, and would never call liars." She looked over at Trastion again, her innocent smile. "Including several of the Pelecconer, whom I admit I do not know that well, but they are still Rangers. Not to mention one of our Cúner, a woman we both hold in high regard and consider a close friend - and I dare say even the Captain herself. Your trainer here left quite an impression on the latter, you know, starting way back in the day."

With a roll of her eyes, Arnyn shrugged. "Time can make tales grow taller. Surely all of these stories are many years old."

"They are not of the most recent variety," Kaylin allowed. "But that doesn't make them any less interesting."

Arnyn narrowed her eyes, but only slightly. She remained silent for a moment, then started to slowly turn her glass around and around on the table. "How about a bet, Kaylin?"

Not hiding her surprise nor her excitement at this question, Kaylin leaned forward. "Terms?"

"You can only tell him a story about me - one story - per game of Never Nervous you or Trastion win from me."

Now it was Kaylin's turn to narrow her eyes. "And for every game we lose?"

Arnyn wore one of her typical faint smiles. "Obviously, the one losing would tell me a story worth hearing about themselves." She made a vague gesture into the air. "Something not in your files, of course. Not some big personal secret or anything - just one of those stories you wouldn't mind if people forgot. As I am sure the nature of your stories about me are of the same sort."

Kaylin eyed the Lieutenant carefully and then glanced over at Trastion. "What do you think?" she said. "I suppose you already said you are not playing... but if you win, it can earn you a story about your mentor..." Her cautious expression grew into an enthusiastic smile. "I'm sure it will be hilarious regardless of who wins and who loses. I'm thinking about taking the Lieutenant's bet either way, but it would be more fun if you also tried your hand at least once!"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Trastion merely grinned at Arnyn when she mentioned that Kaylin wasn't the firsthand source for these stories. "Well, fortunately for us, there is someone present who IS." he pointed out, unsure if Arnyn herself might be willing to divulge these supposed tales Kaylin kept hinting at. But at least if she told it, it was most likely to be accurate, right? Though it seemed evident that the lieutenant was trying to dissuade them from such tales, it made Trastion all the more curious. What could his mentor possibly have gotten involved in that would make such intriguing stories?

Then the lieutenant suggested a bet. Trastion tilted his head curiously, listening as the terms to this bet were laid out. He grew quietly thoughtful as Kaylin seemed to grow excited at the prospect. No big personal secret, of course, Arnyn added, for which he was grateful. But he was still hesitant. "I.. haven't really got any stories I can tell." He replied quietly, with only the slightest emphasis on 'can'. He glanced at Kaylin when the redhead mentioned it would be more fun if he joined in, then turned his glance toward Arnyn, and finally down at his water glass, thinking. "Alright, I'll go for it." He decided after a moment, folding his arms on the tabletop. "Does that mean I'll have to join in the game? I'm not sure I know how it's played." He added with a slight frown.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn calmly regarded Trastion when he pointed out she herself was a first hand witness to any stories involving her. She was, yes. But she was not particularly inclined to share them. Not unless it was some kind of a two-way street. Besides, she did not want to give anyone who did not know her that well yet, the wrong impression. And while she and Trastion had grown closer since Trastion had first begun his training, the Lieutenant was unsure whether it was time for him to hear certain stories. The problem was that she did not know which stories Kaylin had in mind. That she had heard them at all was, perhaps, unfortunate. For Kaylin knew about Arnyn's principles possibly even less than Trastion did. However, if Pele and Karishad shared stories of this nature with the redheaded Hyandaner, then they would have definitely balanced it out with different stories or information. In any case...

"It means," Arnyn said when Trastion agreed, "you will have to play me. If you want to sit with us and hear these stories, then you must also participate and risk having to tell a story of your own," she said quietly. "No freebies."

Kaylin grinned broadly, incredibly pleased that Arnyn would even make the suggestion of a bet in the first place, and downright elated that they would all participate. "Don't worry, Trastion! I will play the Lieutenant again first, and I can help you when it is your turn. If all goes well, after our next game you will already be a tale richer about your dear mentor. I can wear her out before you have to play her." The Hyandaner looked at Arnyn with a sly smile. "I think I may have been holding back during our earlier game. But a deal is a deal, Lieutenant. And I do not take you for a woman who goes back on her word."

"Indeed not," Arnyn merely replied, patting a finger on the deck in front of Kaylin. "Less blah blah, Hyandaner. More card dealing."

As Kaylin dealt, she leaned toward Trastion. "Think about a story, just in case. It can be something small, too, you know? Something embarrassing that happened to you sometime. Or when you got angry too quickly. Or when your youthful enthusiasm made you to do something you later realized you probably shouldn't have done. A misunderstanding with a friend. We all have our moments."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Already, Trastion was beginning to feel stressed by the thought of telling a story. This felt like a bad idea. Why did he agree to this? And he couldn't back out, now, though he was already regretting having agreed to this bet of Arnyn's. There seemed little hope of beating the lieutenant at her own game, but he tried not to give up hope right away. Maybe a miracle would happen. Still, he felt a little uncomfortable about this.

He glanced at Kaylin as she suggested he start thinking of a story, though she assured him it needn't be anything very lengthy or important. He managed a weak smile, but couldn't think of anything to say in reply. She didn't understand, and he couldn't explain it to her. He sipped his glass of water while thinking hard about what he could possibly tell, if it came down to it. Sure, he had plenty of silly, fun stories from his childhood.. or exciting ones. But he couldn't think of a single one that he could tell here. Everything he thought of.. it was either too painful, involving memories of his brother or other things that made him sad, or else there were details he couldn't reveal. Arnyn was aware of a few things, but not Kaylin. And tipsy or not, she didn't have to be all that smart to figure out who he really was, if she heard a few of those kinds of details about his past. Or at least, he felt as if it would be all too obvious, and therefore rejected each thing that came to mind for fear of what the result might be.

Before he knew it, his glass was empty and he was left toying absently with the empty glass. He was still no closer to thinking of any story, and he found it difficult to concentrate on the game. He was going to do terribly when it came time for his turn, he just knew it.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn
@Rillewen

The two women laid out their cards. Their eyes crossed over the table, Kaylin's grey-blues wary and enthused, Arnyn's dark brown's amused and calm.

They both turned over a card from their middle stack. And so the game began. Kaylin was not bad - in fact, she was quite good. She used two hands and was systematic and maintained her pace well for as long as the cards allowed her to. Arnyn didn't appear to have Kaylin's steady rhythm. Instead she had burst of activity, which didn't really catch the eye all that deliberately because she all of her movements were kept small and light. They turned another pair of cards from the middle stack, and the game continued. Arnyn was the first to run out of cards, but Kaylin beat her to smacking one of the played stacks first. She gave Arnyn a triumphant look, but the Lieutenant merely smiled faintly as she proceeded to lay out a new set of cards in front of her.

If Trastion had been paying attention, he would notice the two stacks had held more or less the same amount of cards. Thus, Arnyn hadn't bothered trying to be quick and choose one or the other.

During the progression of the game, it might become clear to an observing audience that Arnyn seemed to be more aware of Kaylin's cards than the other way around. Kaylin was good, and fast, but straightforward. And she did not try and remember Arnyn's cards once their numbled dwindled. Arnyn, however, was almost stealthy in her speed, and seemed to think more about the order of her own cards to get rid of more of them more quickly. By looking at Kaylin's cards when she started running low, she could also predict when Kaylin would run out completely and when she was getting ready to hit one of the stacks. This difference in gameplay caused Kaylin to get nervous about what Arnyn would do, while Arnyn by all outward appearances remained as calm as if she were reading that book on the edge of the table.

It was inevitable. Arnyn won. The smile on her face when she hit the empty spot on the table, was not a grin by any means - but from the sparkle in her eyes it may as well have been. Kaylin shouted out her dismay, and slapped the table to relieve some of her frustration. "Damn it!" she exclaimed. "Fine!"
She took a swig of her ale. "Fine," she said, her tone of voice normal as she looked at Arnyn and Trastion. "A story about me, it is."

"How about the one where you started a food fight in the Guesthouse with two other Rangers and a Dwarf?" Arnyn suggested quietly. Kaylin's jaw all but dropped. "But... how do you even know about that? This was years ago!"

Arnyn raised an eyebrow. "Knowledge of past events is not solely your prerogative, Hyandaner Kaylin."

Kaylin didn't seem to eager to begin the story at first, but after a few sentences where she set the scene at the First Circle's Guesthouse, she proceeded to weave a tale as if she were a travelling bard: with animated gestures, changes in pitch and rhythm to invoke tension or the speed of the events - and Trastion thus heard the tale of how a great selection of pies had been ordered, both fruity and hearty ones, and how they had proceeded to be thrown around the guesthouse - aimed at Ranger Zhevarion Grey, who was currently abroad, Ranger Thûllir, a dwarven lady named Nerwen, and Kaylin herself. "How I made it up to Edgor, is another story," Kaylin concluded mysteriously. Edgor was the Guesthouse's innkeeper.

"Who won, in the end?" Arnyn inquired, quietly amused.

"Everyone wins in a food fight," Kaylin stated matter-of-factly.

Arnyn grinned. "Agreed," she said, causing Kaylin to give the Lieutenant a suspicious look. The blonde then turned to Trastion. "Well, recruit Leithor," Arnyn addressed him. "Your turn to play me." Observing Trastion, it was clear to Arnyn that he was getting increasingly nervous. And the game had not even begun. She put a hand over the one that was toying with his empty glass. "Calm down, Trastion," she said, emphasizing his name. "It's just a game." She had no intention of betraying anything he had told her.

She let of his hand and started dealing the cards. "Switch seats with Kaylin," she told him. "We need to sit straight across from each other."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Trastion tried to pay closer attention to how they were playing the game, but at the same time, he was quickly running through every memory he could call to mind, trying to think of something that would be safe to tell. As they played through the round, he was so distracted he found it hard to make sense of the rules. Yet it seemed that there was some math involved, and he eventually got a bit more attentive and observed that the pattern seemed to match with the cards adding up a certain way, though it took him watching for a little bit to pick up on it, once he started paying attention.

Soon enough, the game was over, and he still wasn't entirely certain of the rules, but he had a better idea of how it went than before. Trastion sat back and listened with curiosity to the tale Kaylin told, and laughed a little. She told it quite well, and he was amused, trying to picture how messy that would have been. It sort of reminded him of some of the silly chaos he and Aearon used to get up to in their childhood. And those memories involved yet more tales that he couldn't share, and he inwardly sighed with frustration. Soon he would have to play Arnyn, and he was sure that he would lose, and had no idea what to tell about. Trying not to seem too anxious, he nodded slightly as Arnyn told him to calm down, and slowly exhaled as he placed the water glass upright again on the table. It's just a game..yes. Still, he couldn't help it. There was a lot more at stake for him, if he told certain stories, than for either of them. And he couldn't really say so without making Kaylin wonder about that.

Suddenly, one incident rekindled in his memory, something he could tell without revealing too much. That should be safe enough. He relaxed slightly, mentally re-familiarizing himself with how it had happened, and how it turned out, and other such details. Though he wasn't exactly sure why they had to sit across from each other, he didn't argue, and stood up. After trading spots with Kaylin, he looked at the cards as Arnyn had dealt, then glanced at Kaylin. "I might need you to help me a bit with how it's played," He mentioned with a slight grin. "I think I might have a basic idea, but I'm not sure about everything."
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn
@Rillewen

"Okay," Kaylin readily agreed. She instructed Trastion how to lay out the cards and the rest of his stack. "And when you each turn the card from that middle stack on the table, you try to count up or down with your own cards. So: ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, jack, queen kind, ace, 2, 3, and so on. Or the other way around: 3, 2, ace, king, queen, and so on."

"I'll take it slow, since it's your first game," Arnyn said.

Kaylin pointed out the cards Trastion could lay down when he didn't notice himself. Trastion caught on pretty quick during the game after Kaylin's on-hand explanations during his first few rounds, although he still had a ways to go before he would catch up to Kaylin's speed. Meanwhile, Arnyn stayed true to her words and kept her pace down, allowing the recruit to see more of what was happening and of how the Lieutenant was doing things herself. When Arnyn's middle stack was gone - which meant the last round would be played - Arnyn maintained the same pace she had used throughout the game with Trastion. Trastion had the better cards and was able to get rid of his five stacks more easily, but whereas Arnyn had proved masterful at hitting the empty stack even if her opponent had lost their cards before she did, now she seemed to be looking at her cards at just the wrong time, right when Trastion was laying down his last card...

Kaylin's eyes widened and she nudged Trastion soundlessly, to urge him to quickly hit the table at the right spot.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

The game seemed to go by fairly quickly, despite their slower pace. Once he knew the basic mechanics of the game, Trastion was able to figure it out well enough, though he still appreciated that Arnyn was being a good sport and not playing as aggressively as he knew she could have. He had seen how she and Kaylin had played, after all, and was sure that he could not keep up that sort of pace while still figuring it all out. He tried to keep in mind a few things he had observed during the previous round between Arnyn and Kaylin, but it seemed like there was a lot to keep track of.

He certainly didn't expect to have any hope of winning, but at the last moment he seemed to have a bit of luck. He almost hesitated, but Kaylin's nudge pushed him to act swiftly. He reached out to quickly hit the table as soon as he realized he might have a chance at winning this round. It seemed.. difficult to believe that he could have gotten so lucky. Especially considering the rotten luck he seemed to be having ever since his arrival in Minas Tirith. But maybe. Glancing toward Arnyn, his curiosity grew somewhat. He had seen Kaylin lose at this game twice now, but not Arnyn. And he had observed how calmly the lieutenant went about her game, paying more attention to her opponent than to her own cards, so it was rather surprising that she would choose to glance at her cards right when he was getting down to the very last of his, but he kept his thoughts to himself.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn's eyes flicked toward Trastion and the rest of the table just when his hand was nearing the empty stack. Quick as a flash, her hand reached out.

To hit the back of Trastion's.

Kaylin's jaw dropped and she stared first at Arnyn and then at the recruit.

The Lieutenant grinned at Trastion. "Sorry," she said, removing her hand and shrugging lightly. She'd clapped his hand hard enough to cause some discomfort, and her apology fit in well in that regard. She let out a laboured sigh as her dark eyes went to Kaylin. "Well. He won. You've earned the right to tell one of those stories about me."

The red-headed Hyandaner still looked surprised as well as slightly suspicious. "This can't be right," Kaylin mumbled, before her voice gained more strength. "You wiped the floor with me two times and now you lost to an absolute beginner? There's just no way!"

"Beginner's luck?" Arnyn suggested, clearly not thinking Trastion's win was such a big deal as Kaylin was making it out to be.

"No, no, no." Kaylin shook her head. "I don't buy it. You let him win, didn't you?"

The Lieutenant frowned. "I was against you telling any stories about me from the start. Why on Middle-Earth would I let Trastion win if our bet then allowed you to tell one?" Arnyn raised an eyebrow. "Jealous that you could not beat me, and he did?"

With a suspicious frown, Kaylin regarded the Lieutenant in silence. "I don't know," she drawled, in response to the first question. "It doesn't make any sense to me." At the second question, however, a smile broke through on the Hyandaner's face. "But jealous? No, I don't think so. After all - I finally got what I wanted!" She fell silent again, as if thinking which story would be the best one to share with the recruit while Arnyn was listening.

Meanwhile, Arnyn looked at Trastion. "More water?" she asked. "Or something else?"

Then Kaylin clapped her hands. "Got it!" she declared in seeming triumph. "The cruise entrance!"

For a moment, Arnyn narrowed her eyes, trying to figure out what Kaylin was even referring to.

As a practiced story teller, Kaylin allowed for a small moment to build the tension. Then she began. "Some years ago, our Arnyn was still a younger and more brazen girl. And a few times a year, a cruise was held upon the Anduin to which any and all were invited. The timeframe for people to arrive was always broad: hours upon hours upon hours! How could someone thus possibly miss it?"

"And yet, somehow, our darling Lieutenant..." she shot a questioning look at Arnyn then " - Although, I don't know if you were also a Lieutenant at the time?"

When Arnyn merely shrugged one shoulder, Kaylin continued. "Anyway, so - Arnyn only managed to find out very late, or perhaps she had forgotten about the cruise and had only remembered it quite last minute." She rasied her eyebrows at Trastion. "Too last minute. For she rushed and rushed aaaaall the way fromo her house up on Fourth... all the way to where the ship would set sail... but alas! When she arrived at the street looking out on the ship - a grand cruise ship, worthy of all the splendour our the finest Gondorian harbours - she noticed that the ship was already preparing the leave."

"Closer and closer she came, upon the wings of the wind, and yet she could see how the boarding planks were being pulled in, how the sails were unfurled and caught the wind she herself was arriving on... but Arnyn knew it in her heart of hearts. She was too late."

With a sorrowful expression, Kaylin shook her head. When she lifted her face back to her audience, however, there was hope. "Yet our bold Arnyn was not dissuaded! To the contrary! The young Hyandaner saw this as a challenge, as a dare! And using every bit of her Ranger training, she looked around for options and for anything she might use to reach her goal: to get herself... on... that... ship!"

Kaylin finished her ale and set it down on the table with a soft thud. Her voice was barely above a whisper when she continued. "When, lo and behold... Our Arnyn saw what she thought was her salvation. Garlands strung between the buildings closest to the harbour, and between the buildings and the lanterns of the pier." She was fuzzy on the details, because her source, Ziran, hadn't quite remembered all of those - but who would, with such results!?
"Your mentor, Trastion, got a hold of one of those garlands at a high enough point. She grabbed onto it with some secret hold, no doubt, and then -" Kaylin's fist grabbed into the air. With her other hand, she made a move above it as if cutting through something. "- cut the garland away from the building... And jumped."

"Arnyn Dealedwen sailed through the air on a garland made of thin rope - not made to hold the weight of a person, but rather to hold only the weight of the many multi-coloured little flags that were attached to it. And so that woman -" Kaylin held out her hand to Arnyn, as if introducing her, "crossed the last street; the walkway between the street and the harbour, and she was about to cross the yards of water that had already appeared between the docks and the cruise ship, when the garland snapped."

"It was a miracle the thin rope had held her for as long as it had! But did Arnyn panic when it snapped? No. Perhaps she did not panic exactly because she had expected it to do so much sooner - for when it did break, she extended herself into the direction of the ship - and she landed...boots first... on the deck of the cruiser."

Kaylin shook her head again, although this time with no small amount of wonder in her eyes as she carefully inspected Arnyn's expression - looking for a reaction. "As if she'd arrived like any other. The people who saw it were the only ones who believed it, for our Lieutenant behaved as if there had been nothing strange about her mode of arrival, and somehow she managed to dress right for every event on the multi-day cruise, while she had arrived without so much as a pack on her shoulders..."

After Kaylin's voice had made way for a moment of silence, which Arnyn clearly was not planning to fill, Kaylin looked at Trastion. "What do you think, hearing this? Do you think this really happened?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Her hand seemed to move too fast to follow, and he felt sure she would get there first. And yet, once the movement had stopped, it was his hand on the table, and hers that had slapped the back of his. He blinked, not even worried about the sting of her hand hitting his. Did he actually win? He sat back, quiet as Kaylin questioned whether the lieutenant had purposely let him win. He had a few suspicions of his own in that regard, but didn't voice them. He also noticed that Arnyn did not specifically say she did not. He could think of a reason why she would let him win, but didn't comment. Perhaps her way of working it out so that he wouldn't have to share anything he wasn't comfortable with?

"Huh?" He glanced at his empty glass, having sort of forgotten about it. "Oh. Just water," He answered Arnyn. He figured the place probably had other drinks like juice and milk, but those would cost money. And he had no idea how much it would cost to replace the stuff for Mourgan, and figured he ought to save all he could, in case he ever managed to find out what it was and how to get it. And he didn't expect either of the other two to fund his drinks.

As Kaylin began the tale, Trastion turned with interest, listening. He knew about the cruise, though he'd never been to one. But it was easy to imagine the scene, despite never being there. He'd seen a riverboat plenty of times, and could picture everything about it. He slowly grinned as Kaylin told the story, eyes widening at various points. And then, as she neared the conclusion he was leaning forward, expecting the tale to end with Arnyn falling into the river. But to his surprise.. she landed on the deck? His jaw dropped slightly at that, and laughed in astonishment. "Incredible!" He looked back at Arnyn, wondering why she would be reluctant for a story like that to be told.

Kaylin's question gave him a bit of pause, glancing at her, then back at Arnyn. It almost sounded like the sort of pretend adventure he used to play at with his brother, pretending to fight pirates and all that sort of thing. Swinging from ropes and such, landing perfectly on the deck like some sort of acrobat or whatever. It was a bit surprised to hear of such a thing really happening, but he shrugged slightly as he smiled back at Kaylin. "I have no reason to doubt it. After seeing her on the training grounds.. I'd definitely believe it." He grinned. "That's definitely amazing, though." He added, impressed as well as amused.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn
@Rillewen

The slow grin she saw spreading across Trastion's features, made Arnyn let out a slow and inaudible sigh. Kaylin told the story well, she must admit. The woman had a gift for storytelling, it seemed. Something about Kaylin Arnyn had not known, but which seemed to fit the larger picture. The Lieutenant smiled faintly, taking a sip from her glass, as she saw the way Trastion was leaning forward with some suspense when the story was about to reach its conclusion. The recruit's surprised laugh and reaction was amusing, and Arnyn's dark eyes were smiling by the time Trastion looked back at her.

As Kaylin question whether Trastion thought it was real, Arnyn's smile grew slightly. It made the recruit hesitate, she noticed. But there was no more doubt in Trastion's expression, nor in his tone of voice, when he answered Kaylin. Arnyn gave him a slow nod when he looked back at her.

Kaylin grinned broadly. "Excellent!" she stated. "I do not doubt it is true, myself. After all, it was Karis who told me. If anything - she downplays stories like these." The redhead leaned forward on the table, toward Arnyn. "So where did you get all the necessary clothes and such, Lieutenant? Karis couldn't say, for sure. She just smiled at me and shrugged. Very frustrating."

Arnyn pointedly did the very same. "Well, won't it take away some of the magic if I told you?"

"Not if the way you procured them was as flashy as your arrival on deck," Kaylin noted.

Slapping her hand down on the table, Arnyn laughed. "Leave some mystery to me, Hyandaner Kaylin! It inspires the recruits! Now, I could use another drink. Some coffee for me, I think. It is about the hour for it." The afternoon was coming along, and it would not be long now before the hour of her appointment arrived.

Kaylin groaned and then gestured her non-verbal agreement. She would have coffee next, also. It would be good to sober up a little.

Arnyn waved to catch Hildy's eye, and then signalled the order. With one hand, she made a two and with the other a 'c' for coffee. Then she raised one finger with the hand which had made the 2, and a w (which could also be interpreted as a 3 of course) with the hand which had made the 'c'. Arnyn did not hesitate, however, with the signals. And neither did Hildy. Arnyn had been coming here for many, many years. Hildy knew the way Arnyn ordered, and liked that she didn't have to go all the way over to the table to get the order. Arnyn liked not having to go to the bar when she was involved in a conversation. They had agreed on it, many years ago, and it worked smoothly. It wasn't like Arnyn ordered much, anyway - and coffee and water were staples.

The Lieutenant then raised an eyebrow at Kaylin. "You want a rematch, Maethyr?" Arnyn shot a grin at Trastion.

Kaylin almost growled. "Damn right, I do."

Arnyn rolled her eyes. "What do you think, Trastion? Who will win this time?" she asked him, a good-natured smile on her lips.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Listening to the two of them, Trastion smiled slightly in amusement. He found himself thinking back to when Arnyn had said the rangers were sort of like a family; he could imagine these two as playfully bickering sisters. Much like he and his brother had been, though they had always banded together against the common enemy; their stepbrother. He hadn't entirely figured out where he fit in with everyone, but it was nice to see the camaraderie, anyway.

As it seemed it was time now for Kaylin to play another round, he stood up and switched back to his previous seat so that she could sit across from Arnyn once more. As he settled into his seat again, he considered Arnyn's question. "I think you'll win." He answered, and gave a small shrug to Kaylin, "Sorry." He added. But it was true, the lieutenant was far too calm and collected while Kaylin was still a bit tipsy. If he were going to bet, he would place the odds on Arnyn winning, especially considering she had already beaten Kaylin twice in a row. And he still wasn't convinced Arnyn hadn't purposely given him a chance at winning the last game, though he wasn't going to say anything.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn
@Rillewen

Kaylin looked offended at Trastion's reply. Arnyn flashed a brief grin. "I'm not," the Lieutenant said quietly. Kaylin narrowed her eyes at the woman, and wagged her finger at her. "Now, now, Lieutenant," Kaylin said in a dangerous tone of voice, "I won't have you underestimating me." She looked at Trastion then. "Nor you! Arnyn here might be your trainer, but I have logged many more hours playing games at pubs than she has," she claimed. "I am sure of it."

"No one is debating that," Arnyn agreed calmly. "But that doesn't change the fact Trastion thinks I will win." She shrugged, an innocent look in her eyes.

When their order came, they sipped their coffees until they were about half-empty. Then Kaylin dealt the cards, and the game began. It was a ruthless game, this time. Kaylin had brought her A-game, and Arnyn had shifted forward in her seat a little - something she had not done before. The game went back and forth - when Arnyn nearly had an empty stack, Kaylin beat her to the smaller center stack on the table. And vice versa.

When the game was prolongued in this fashion for the sixth time, Kaylin laughed loudly. "This is madness!" she exclaimed, though it was obvious she was enjoying the game enormously. She was sweating under her leathers, and wiped at her forehead.

Arnyn was grinning. "Best think of a story to tell," she teased quietly.

"No distractions!" Kaylin demanded as they laid out their five stacks yet again.

"If I can distract you successfully with something so trivial, you deserve to lose," Arnyn responded.

Kaylin snorted, still speaking loudly. "Granted! But you will find no success here with such tactics!"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image | Image
Kaylin | Arnyn | Macardil
@Rillewen

Macardil and Trevadir arrived at the Wayfarer's early. "So, moment of truth," Macardil said in good humor as they approached the inn. "How do your legs feel now?" He smiled as he opened the door to the inn and walked through, Trevadir right behind him.

(Kaylin) "No distractions!"

Once inside, the former ranger unclasped his light summer cloak and folded it over his arm.

(Kaylin) "Granted! But you will find no success here with such tactics!"

Macardil's blue eyes flicked over to the sound of Kaylin's voice. His lips started to curve into a faintly amused smile. Cards? "We should be able to order something at least, before the Lieutenant arr-" The sight of Arnyn sitting across from a very enthusiastic Kaylin, caught him by surprise. There was another at the table, a young man who looked vaguely familiar, but Macardil should be forgiven for not managing to afford him much attention at present. Arnyn and Kaylin were playing cards? Here? Now? He could not imagine the Lieutenant had forgotten about their appointment. Macardil cleared his throat.

Alfric, who had just made an appearance behind the bar, followed Macardil's - and by now, Trevadir's - gaze to Kaylin, Trastion and Arnyn's table. Assuming they were taken aback by Kaylin's exclamations, Alf grinned. "Don't worry, lads. She's got a good bark, but she doesn't bite. Mostly."

Raising his eyebrows at this comment from Alf, Macardil hid a smile before looking more closely at the scene. Kaylin looked every bit the part of a ranger. It seemed like she'd just come in from training. The warrior braids that kept her long, dark red hair from her face were slightly messy and her gear was dusty. Near the armour on the floor were dual short swords as well as a shield. It was quite a pile. Not how Macardil would ever have chosen to temporarily put aside his equipment himself, but that was beside the point. Despite this disorderly display, the focus on Kaylin's face and the energy around her as she picked up and threw down her cards were undeniably those of a warrior. Her presence claimed the room.

This was proven in short order by the fact that, when she exclaimed a vehement "NO WAY!", all eyes in the room were not only drawn to Kaylin, but remained with her for a while. She hit her fist onto the table top, making two cups of coffee and a glass of water jump up just a tad.

Sitting across from her, Arnyn's energy stood in stark contrast to Kaylin's high and boisterous energy. Arnyn's was more muted. Less in your face. Calm. She had just beaten Kaylin to the smallest middle stack in the center of the table - by the smallest margin yet. And so she was looking at the redhead sitting across from her with a quietly confident expression while the other woman was almost losing it - but whether Kaylin was losing her composure in favor of heavily amused disbelief or shocked dismay, may as well have been a coin toss.

Arnyn's even longer and golden blonde hair was loose, only pulled back partially with two slim braids that were hardly discernable. The Lieutenant was not wearing a uniform, nor any ranger greens or Gondorian blacks. Rather her choice for this meeting had fallen upon cobalt blue and brown? Perhaps she had remembered Macardil's words about Trevadir's reluctance to meet with any officials? Macardil recognized Arnyn's sword against the wall close to the table. She had brought the same weapon to the Poros mission, and he had admired it upon occasion. It was a gorgeous piece of steel.

"No way," Kaylin repeated a bit less loudly - but still loud enough for Macardil and Trevadir to overhear, as she sat back in her chair and shook her head. "Unbelievable."

"Game's not over yet," Arnyn said softly - too softly for the two new arrivals to overhear.

Soon, the card game was going at full speed again. Were they even looking at the cards, Macardil wondered dimly?

Alfric interrupted his thoughts by asking what they would be having, and Macardil realized he had not even finished his earlier sentence. "Right. Water or something else you have that's light and fresh, sir," he said, giving Trevadir a questioning look. "I apologize," he started to explain, "but it seems like we will not have much time to ourselves, after all." He nodded to the table where the card game was being played.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Trastion was grinning in amusement, watching the two ladies battle..with cards. It was definitely far more entertainment than he had expected to find today. The fact that his reply had apparently made Arnyn happy was slightly satisfying, as well. Kaylin seemed to take mock offense but otherwise she seemed to be in a good mood and he got the idea she didn't really mind. At one point, the redheaded ranger actually pounded the table in frustration as Arnyn beat her to the stack again. Trastion momentarily thought that Arnyn had won the round, and laughed slightly at the fact he had guessed right, before realizing it was not actually over yet. The outcome was still up in the air, then. He leaned an elbow on the table, watching curiously and intently.

Trevadir

As they stepped inside, Trevadir took off his hat and wiped his forehead with his arm, then out of habit, checked that his flute was tucked into his side. "Better," He answered Macardil with a slight grin. "But, still a little achy." He cast a quick glance around the room, initially paying little attention to the lively customers playing a card game over there. Until he heard Macardil's sentence cut short. He glanced at him, then followed his gaze to those involved in the card game, and then gave a bit more attention to them. Two women, and a guy about his own age, who was not involved in the game but watching. It was the ladies that Trevadir paid most attention to, however. Particularly the loud one. She was a ranger.. had to be. He may have been gone from Minas Tirith for half a decade, but he could recognize ranger gear and the colors they tended to wear. Not only because of Ryn, but also because of Nal.. and because of the tales he had heard from Nal's father when, as little boys, he and the others used to sneak into taverns to listen to those tales from the retired veteran.

Trevadir watched her thoughtfully, trying to decide if he had anything to fear. She seemed boisterous and lively; perhaps a fun person to know? He wished he'd had a chance to contact Unalmis to ask him what he knew of this lieutenant. Did Nal like her? Did he know her? If she was his lieutenant then he probably did, Trev reasoned. But did they get along? If she was the way she appeared to be, she seemed like someone he thought would be easy to get along with. At least, someone like Nal and himself ought to hit it off well enough, but of course, this was only a first impression.. and those could be wrong. He knew that well enough, now.

"Guessing that's the lieutenant, then," Trev mentioned to Macardil. His comment about not having that much time after all would seem to verify that fact. He wondered who the other two were, but they seemed less important. Probably just some friends keeping the lieutenant company while she waited, he figured. Turning his attention back to the man at the bar, Trev hesitated briefly, thinking, and smiled. "Do you have lemonade?" He asked, hopeful. "If not then I'll be alright with water." After a moment more, he added in a quieter voice to Macardil, "Is there a washroom? I wouldn't mind washing a bit of this sweat away, while they're occupied with their game." He had packed away the bloodied shirt which had survived two fights in as many days.. and wore the only clean one he had left. He had even put on his boots today, and everything in order to try and look his best. Yet he couldn't help the results of riding for a couple of hours in the sun.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image | Image
@Rillewen

"Yes, that is her," Macardil confirmed. After Alf brought out two glasses of lemonade, Macardil slid over some coin and turned his back to the bar. "We should probably not interrupt the game. They seem... invested."

Regardless of this investment, however, Arnyn glanced at the new arrivals while playing. It was only the briefest of moments, but she had seen them. And Macardil had noticed her glance, brief and casual as it was.

"I'm sorry, Kaylin," Arnyn said, her tone genuinely regretful. "But it seems like I've run out of time." Her demeanor changed somehow, and Arnyn slapped her hand down on the empty spot of the table. In under less than a minute, she'd finished the game.

Kaylin gasped her disbelief. "What!?" Her mouth was gaping at the cards on the table and Arnyn's hand in the middle. "But - I -..." She raised both hands into the air, as if trying to figure out how this had just happened. Then she fell back in her chair and crossed her arms as she peered at Arnyn.

Macardil hid a grin and wordlessly set off for the table, with a small head tilt at Trevadir to indicate he should follow.

Arnyn merely shrugged at Kaylin. "I said 'sorry'. What more do you want from me?"

Kaylin rolled her eyes at looked at Trastion. "I swear I am better at this game than she is making me look," she complained. Distracted by Macardil and Trevadir's approach to the table, she raised her eyebrows for a moment. "Macardil," she greeted the former ranger with a nod and a half-smile. Then her blue-grey eyes turned to rest on the stranger standing next to him.

Meanwhile, Arnyn sipped her coffee and simply took her time to get a better look at the two new arrivals.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
Trastion | Trevadir

"Yeah, looks that way," Trev replied quietly as he sipped his lemonade, watching the game with slight curiosity. Both women did indeed look quite invested in the game. He wasn't sure if he'd ever seen that particular game before but he might have. The crew had played a few games with cards and dice, but Trev hadn't really had much interest in joining them, even during the times they weren't angry at him for something or other. A moment later, he witnessed the blonde lady win the game, leaving the red haired ranger staring in shocked astonishment. It was a bit comical, but Trev managed to hide his amusement. He quickly realized this was their cue to venture over there. Time to meet the lieutenant, then. He walked along at Macardil's side, lemonade in one hand, his straw hat carried in the other along with his sack of belongings he'd brought with him from the stable.

Surprisingly swift, the game was over. Trastion blinked, not sure how that had happened so rapidly after the game had been carrying on for so long. But he grinned, seeing that it was Arnyn who had won. "I was right." He declared, with a hint of triumph. Arnyn was clearly a master at this game. Kaylin, of course, seemed shocked by her loss, but Trastion smiled at her. "I'm sure you are." He had no doubt she would likely beat him if they played. But he hoped not to have to do that again. "So, now we get to hear-" He began to ask, when he noticed the pair coming toward them. His question was left unfinished as he raised his gaze up from the cards on the table, to observe the approaching strangers. He gave a quick glance toward Kaylin before returning his attention toward watching the strangers. Did she say Macardil? Why did that name seem familiar?

With butterflies in his stomach, Trev saw the red-haired ranger turn her gaze toward him. Staring at him, or so it seemed. Probably trying to gauge if he was really a pirate trying to cause trouble in the city. The butterflies were getting more fierce by the moment, now that they were finally here and actually doing this. He wasn't sure what to do or say. Feeling a bit uncomfortable, he hung back the last step or two, so that Macardil got ahead of him. His gaze rested briefly on each of the three people seated at the table before turning toward Macardil in the end. He had expected to meet the lieutenant, but there were two others here that he wasn't expecting, and he wasn't entirely sure how to greet them. Especially not knowing who they were. Perhaps they had all been waiting for his and Macardil's arrival. Perhaps it was some sort of committee board that would decide whether he could stay in town? Lots of things were all new now after the war, right? Feeling a little hesitant with the one he assumed was the lieutenant staring at him, Trev decided to wait and see if, and how, Macardil would introduce them each. Nervous, he hardly noticed his fingers (of the same hand holding his hat and bag) absently fidgeting with the end of his flute as it hung down by his leg, mostly just to feel the familiarity of the item most dear to him.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image | Image
@Rillewen

"I apologize for our early arrival," Macardil said with a dip of the head. "I see we are interrupting."

"Not at all, as it seems," Kaylin said sourly. She was absolutely sure now that Arnyn had intentionally lost to Trastion before, although she could not say why the Lieutenant would do so. "You and your friend are just in time for a story..."

Arnyn slowly rose to her feet. "Although I would be pleased to hear it, I'm afraid me hearing the story will have to wait until some other time." She looked at Trastion and smiled faintly. "You could already regale my recruit here. I have business with Macardil and Trevadir." As the words were leaving her mouth, Arnyn's bearing changed slightly. She was getting serious, rather than her version of playful. She nodded her head to the two rangers. "I will see you tomorrow, as arranged," she addressed Kaylin, before turning to Trastion. "And we will see each other on the training grounds soon enough."

Meanwhile, Macardil took a second look at the young man at the table. He still looked vaguely familiar, without Macardil being able to place him. Perhaps he had seen him around the city without really realizing it. Perhaps he simply had one of those faces. He gave the young man a brief smile and a nod.

"Aye, Lieutenant." Kaylin tapped her fist to her heart from her seated position. She did not rise, given that Arnyn had - indicating the Lieutenant's intent to change tables with her new company herself, rather than asking Kaylin and Trastion to leave. Until tomorrow." The redhead glanced at Trevadir. "Too short a meeting to even call it an acquaintance. Trevadir, was it? I'm Kaylin." She grinned. "See you around."

Lieutenant Arnyn left Kaylin and Trastion with a fist-to-heart salute of her own. She turned to the wall and lightly took her scabbarded sword in hand.

Macardil took the opportunity to bow slightly to Kaylin and the young man he did not know. "Until we meet again." He would have used names, but since he did not know the young man's name, he refrained from using Kaylin's as to avoid too large an incongruity.

Arnyn lead the two men to a table a ways off from any others that were occupied, and returned her sword to the wall next to this one. She gestured at the seats. "Please. Have a seat." As they were doing so, she did the same. "Thank you for honoring our agreement and meeting with me," she told the two men. She smiled faintly at Macardil.
Then her dark brown eyes turned to Trevadir's, and she seemed to take his measure for a moment in silence. "Trevadir Thôrmaetha," she greeted him finally, with a slow nod. It was not difficult to tell he was nervous. It dripped from his every movement. "Well met. Arnyn Dealedwen." One of her half-smiles mastered her expression. "Would you like proof of my rank?" she inquired, focusing on him rather than Macardil.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Observing the two strangers quietly, Trastion was careful not to seem as if he were staring.. mostly at the older of the two. It had taken a moment, but it clicked where he had seen him before. Mentally placing him in different gear, with certain heraldry and colors, Trastion suddenly knew exactly who this was. And feared the same would happen in reverse. While Trastion had blue eyes himself, his were almost a blue-gray. And he'd never seen anyone else with such vividly blue eyes as a certain nobleman he had seen competing at tournaments before, who also bore the name Macardil. And dark hair, and..yeah. There was no way this man shared such similar features with another man of the exact same name. And he was looking at Trastion again. He, who had witnessed this guy unhorse his stepfather at such competitions, and had been among the loudest to cheer as a result. Suddenly nervous again, Trastion managed a brief smile in return before he busied himself with taking a drink from his glass, worried that he might have been recognized. A moment later he glanced curiously at Arnyn as he realized that she had some pre-arranged plan to meet them here. Why?

He relaxed somewhat as it seemed they were moving to another table. The recruit nodded back to his mentor and offered a salute. "Till then, lieutenant." He replied with a faint smile. He wasn't sure what was going on exactly, but it appeared that it may have something to do with the guy that was about his age. Trastion cast a quick glance at him. The guy had a fading bruise over one eye, lingering evidence of a recent fight perhaps. Trastion also couldn't help noticing that he looked..surprised. And a bit confused, at least briefly, about something. As Macardil spoke to him and Kaylin, Trastion turned his attention back toward the nobleman. The man was polite in his parting words, and Trastion felt that some reply was needed, though he wasn't sure exactly how to reply. A small nod and smile returned Macardil's bow, but he didn't venture to speak.

Soon enough, they were leaving. They didn't seem to have any further interest in Trastion, fortunately, but he couldn't be sure whether the recognition had been mutual. He watched with curiosity as the two newcomers set off with Arnyn toward another table. He glanced at Kaylin, questioning. "What was that about?" He wondered, dropping his voice slightly. And, remembering he shouldn't know who Macardil was, he added, "Who are they?" He wondered curiously.

Trevadir

The one who he thought was the lieutenant seemed a bit upset that they had interrupted, and Trev felt all the more uncomfortable. And then, to his complete bafflement.. it was the other lady who declared that she had business with Macardil and Trevadir. What? He blinked, glancing from her to the other, before quickly hiding the surprised, confused expression on his face. As he was trying to make sense of this, he witnessed the red-haired ranger salute the blonde and refer to her as lieutenant, then the other young man did the same... She was the lieutenant? Trev blinked and tried not to stare, but seriously. She looked nothing like what he had expected. She didn't even look much like a ranger!

He was so caught off guard, he nearly missed the other lady's friendly greeting, except when she spoke his name it snapped him out of it. He smiled back with a small nod. "Yes ma'am," He replied quietly, verifying that she'd got his name right. There was little chance to speak further, as it was evident they would be moving to another table. He offered a faint smile to the other two as he turned to follow Macardil and the lieutenant.. still rather stunned by the fact it was the blonde lady in ordinary clothing, rather than the other.

Watching her set her sword against the wall once they'd found an appropriate table, Trev couldn't help noticing the simple elegance of the weapon. Others from among his group of friends might have made a comment in compliment of it, but he kept quiet. Setting his glass down, he hung his hat off the back of his chosen seat before sitting in it, and after seeing where Macardil chose to sit, Trev stowed his sack in the empty chair near his own.

"Thank you for honoring our agreement and meeting with me," Her words were rather unexpected.

Trev paused, glancing at her in curiosity. Had there even been much choice in the matter? He'd had the impression that he had to come. Or even if that was not the case, Macardil had given his word that Trev would meet her. And after all the man had done for Trev so far, Trev wasn't going to cause him to break that word. Still, he couldn't think of any suitable reply, so merely shrugged slightly. She was looking mostly at Macardil as she said it, anyway. He was the one who'd made the agreement, after all. Trev fidgeted slightly, again wondering if there was anything in particular that this was about.

And then she turned her attention to him. The fact that she knew his full name was a little jarring at first, until he recalled that Macardil had returned to the inn the second day, knowing his last name despite the fact Trev had never told it to him. Where else would he have learned that then, but from the lieutenant when she checked about his wanted status? Trev put the two together and overcame that bit of surprise quickly, though by then she was asking if he needed proof of her being lieutenant. "Uh, no ma'am," he gave a faint smile at her question. "I don't doubt the truth of it. It's just..uh.. you aren't quite what I expected." He added with a slightly awkward smile. The image in his head had been vastly different from reality, when Macardil had first mentioned a lady lieutenant. Even when he thought Kaylin was the lieutenant, she had also been nothing like he'd expected, but..between the two women, she looked the more likely candidate.

"Pleased to meet you, Lieutenant Dealedwen." He added, as if to prove that he believed her. He took a drink of his lemonade, trying to use the time to calm himself a bit, and glanced around slightly. "It's been several years since I was last here," he mentioned with a faint smile. "Not.. here, exactly," He added. "But, you know.. here in general. In the city. It's.. different than I remember.. and yet the same." Then he fell silent, wondering whether he would be able to enjoy it for long, or if she would find some fault and tell him he couldn't stay. He turned his own dark brown gaze back to the lieutenant, trying to gauge what she might be thinking. 'Please, please let me stay.' His thought anxiously.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

"Who knows," Kaylin responded to Trastion's first question with a shrug. "Guess the Lieutenant has business with them - but I wouldn't know what it is." At his second question, she peered over her shoulder, casting the trio a quick look. When she turned back to Trastion, she was smiling awkwardly. "I don't know about the younger guy, but mister blue eyes?" The smile grew into a grin as she shook her head. "Speaking of stories, his is quite the show stopper." She sighed. "And while I hate gossip, I do love a good story..."

The Hyandaner pointedly watched Trastion's empty water glass. "Not a very suitable story to hear while having water, though, Trastion. You need something tastier to swallow it down. Even if it's just tea or juice..."

Image | Image
Arnyn | Macardil

When Trevadir dismissed the need for proof of her office, but said she was not quite what he had expected, Arnyn slanted her head. She looked thoughtful and borderline amused. Had he expected someone older? Someone who looked sterner? Someone with a bad face scar, perhaps? She held back a little grin when he said he was pleased to meet her.

"Years, yes," she said, leaning back in her chair although her back was straight. "Five, Macardil told me?" Her dark eyes flicked to the man in question, before returning to Trevadir. "The City keeps evolving even when we are not here," she agreed. "I was not gone for quite as long, but long enough to know what you mean." She observed him and the way he was glancing around and looking at her with imploring brown eyes.

"I have told Macardil you are not a wanted man. Why are you so nervous, Trevadir?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Trastion frowned slightly at the word 'gossip'. It was hard to not make a face, but he managed to keep it to just a frown. Still, his distaste for anything labeled as 'gossip' was quite strong. He blamed his mother for that. Besides, most gossip and rumors he had ever heard tended to be either untrue, or greatly exaggerated to the point that it might as well be a fairy tale. Also, many times, such rumors had a way of being hurtful or slanderous to someone. He'd had quite enough of that sort of thing during the first part of his life, and wanted no more. "That's alright," He replied quietly. "If it's gossip, I'd rather not hear it." Besides, it seemed a bit rude to tell some story about the guy while he's sitting across the room and might overhear bits, enough to realize what was being said. Shrugging, Trastion offered a small smile to the Hyandaner. "But, I think you were going to tell some story about yourself, weren't you?"

Glancing at his glass, Trastion realized it had become empty when he wasn't paying attention. "Uh, no, water's fine." He answered. "I'm.. trying to save my money for something, and I'm not sure how much I'll need." He explained, a little awkward about that, but he had no reason to hide that fact. As he was saying so, it occurred to him that Kaylin might be able to help with this quest of his, but he wasn't entirely sure yet if he wanted to involve her. Something to think about while she told her story, if she didn't refuse.. Arnyn was gone now, after all, and she was the one who had won the game. So Kaylin wasn't actually obligated to tell anything, he realized.

Trevadir

Trevadir nodded slightly. "Yes ma'am, five years." He confirmed quietly, and listened as she mentioned how she'd been gone for a while too. He vaguely wondered where she'd gone, but it was really none of his business so he didn't ask. Then her question caught him off guard. Trev blinked, hesitating. What should he say to that? What could he say? For a very brief second he looked like a deer caught in a lantern's beam, before he looked down at his glass, thinking how to reply. Trev didn't want to be anything like his father, and so that left only one real answer; the truth. While it might be a bit uncomfortable, being totally honest was probably the best course.

He took a deep breath. "I.. um. I know that Macardil said that I'm not wanted. And he says that he has no reason to believe you would deceive me," He answered hesitantly, slowly. "I believe him." He briefly glanced at Macardil before looking back at the lieutenant. "I trust that he wouldn't lie to me. But... I have spent the last five years hearing nothing but lies about.. just about everything. To the point that, it's hard to know what to believe anymore." He explained, dropping both his gaze and his voice as he went on. "I've heard so many times, the things they said would happen if I tried to come here.. to come home..." He stopped as his voice threatened to break with emotion, and quietly sipped his lemonade in an attempt to calm the tide of emotion that wanted to rise up within him.

Clearing his throat quietly, Trev went on after a moment. "Thing is...I don't know you.. and I don't know why you asked to meet me.. or what you intend to do." He hesitated. "Or even what sort of authority you have. I just.. I really want to stay. Especially now that I've finally gotten here." He took a slow breath, his gaze downward at the table. "I don't know whether you'll decide I shouldn't be allowed to stay, but..I really hope you won't. I want a chance.. to start over, and.." He struggled a little for the right way to finish that sentence before adding, "I'm afraid of what you might decide. Because of...the sort of people I've been with all this time." Focusing on a bead of moisture slowly traveling down the side of his glass, he kept his gaze down, ashamed to say out loud what 'sort of people' he meant, though he figured she must know.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

"Well," Kaylin mused, "is it gossip if I was there for it, and then heard first hand from the Captain as well as my cousin about what happened next?" She made a face. "It is true I wasn't present personally for the second part of the story. But since that part is the positive part, I don't know if theat counts as gossip either? Because that seems to be more of a negative nature?" A shrug. "I think I may have used the wrong word. Either way, long story short: that's Macardil. He used to be a Ranger in Ithilien and was made Lieutenant of the King's Rangers when we were founded, but he was discharged after our first mission. For all I can tell, he's a good guy who drew the short straw."

She laughed when he asked for a story about her. "You want to hear another one of my stories?" Another laugh escaped her. "Well, consider me flattered! I suppose it would allow you to get to know me better, as well," she smiled. His next statement distracted her, however. "Saving up, hmm?" she asked automatically. Only when the words had left her mouth did she realize they sounded as if she were prying. "Well. I can buy you a drink you know." Picking up her coffee cup, she sipped it as she peered over its edge at Trastion. "Comrades in arms, and all that."

"What kind of story would you like to hear?" she then asked lightly. "About an insulting song I made up in battle? About barging into our now-captain-then-sergeant's room at the barracks uninvited, dragging her out and making it look like she was the instigator of a giant mess in... well, the mess?" Her eyes were dancing with humor as she raised her eyebrows. "Something else entirely?"

Image | Image
Arnyn | Macardil

The blinking, the hesitation, the uncertainty of what to do with her question... On the surface, that wouldn't seem very reassuring. But, to Arnyn, it didn't come across too badly. She figured that, if his father were trying to use him for a crime in the city, they would have prepared a good story. A good act. Unless this exact behaviour was the act? The Lieutenant continued to watch Trevadir with an observant gaze, although she made sure not to make it seem like she was trying to intimidate him.

Macardil gave Trevadir a faint smile when the young man proclaimed his trust. Arnyn watched the exchange and made a mental note that Macardil had seemingly made a new friend.

"Well," Arnyn responded slowly, "while you were with these people..." She clasped her hands together on the table in front of her. "Did you commit any crimes, yourself?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Trastion shrugged slightly in reply to Kaylin's inquiries. He wasn't entirely sure when something changed from being a story to being gossip, but he was satisfied with the shortened story. He wasn't exactly asking for a story about the guy anyway, just asking who he was. As if he didn't know. A bit of curiosity was sparked upon hearing that he was the lieutenant, and had been discharged, but he didn't ask about that. There were many reasons one might be discharged from service, and he recalled hearing something about the entire Gondorian army having been disbanded.

He shrugged at the bit about his drink. "Well, I'm sure you probably could, but I wasn't going to ask, nor expect you to pay for my drink." He pointed out, and laughed lightly at the evident surprise Kaylin exhibited upon hearing that he'd like to hear another story. "Well, why not? If it's a story you don't mind sharing, I'd be happy to hear it." He grinned, then, and looked a bit intrigued at the various suggestions. "Wait, you made the captain look like she'd started a big mess?" He asked, a bit amused. "Did you start another food fight?"

Trevadir

The lieutenant's question was not the sort of reply Trev would have expected. Most of all, he had entertained some vague hope that she might assure him he would not be forced to leave, so soon after his arrival. Instead, he was posed a question that he found a little difficult to answer. "Any crimes.." He repeated softly. He hesitated, a faintly amused smile flickering onto his face, though he tried to fight it off. "Uh.. I think that depends on whose point of view you mean." He replied slowly, uncomfortably aware of how that might sound, so he didn't wait too long to explain. "If you mean crimes against Gondor, and it's people.. no. Absolutely not.. in fact.. I tried my best to hinder as much of that sort of thing that I could." He looked down. "I wasn't often successful, but I tried."

Glancing up again, he smiled faintly. "But.. as far as "any" crimes goes, welllll..." He shrugged. "Technically, I'm guilty of all sorts of those against the captain and crew. They uh.. aren't very happy with me, as Macardil can verify." He fidgeted slightly, clearing his throat as he watched for her reaction. "Some of them called me a traitor, but.. thing is, I never considered myself one of them." He frowned, letting his hand toy with the end of his flute where it hung down by his leg, under the table. "I made it clear after the first week that I didn't want to stay with them." He frowned, then sighed as he looked down at the table again. "I asked to go home, but.. they wouldn't let me leave." He paused frowning, and added, "Dev wouldn't let me. He told me I was listed as a criminal by now.. just by association, and.. the guards would be looking for me, that I'd be arrested and put to death if they caught me, and all sorts of frightening things. All because I'd been seen with him and the others." His voice dropped in sorrow with this last portion, and he fell silent again, remembering that devastating moment when Dev first told him that lie.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

Kaylin grinned broadly. "Ahhhh, but Trastion - one must not give away part of the story before it is time to tell it!" she exclaimed. "One must start at the very beginning."

"It all began on a lovely morning in the barracks, where I barged into the - then - Sergeant's room." Kaylin made an awkward face. "Uninvited," she added, feigning regret. "Then again, maybe it served as a good reminder for Pele to keep her door locked, and I like to think that as such I contributed to her safety protocols." The Hyandaner coughed. "And it was nearing midday and she was still abed. When you think about, it was more her fault than mine, really."

"Thus! I woke her with a chipper 'good morning' and light through her window, and took her out for lunch at the barracks mess hall to start - because you cannot go and have an adventure on an empty stomach. This is known."

"Now, it so happened that our dear Captain, then Sergeant, suspected me of having some kind of mischief in mind. Which was not at all the case," Kaylin claimed in a very unconvincing tone of voice. "See, it was true I had a past with pranks and mischief, but since then I had gotten married and I assured Pele that this had truly reformed me in a way Lieutenant Brian should be sorry to miss. After all, marrying Thûllir had caused me to move out of the barracks, and so the barracks master was sadly deprived of my new, more mature self."

Kaylin sighed dramatically. "Alas, it seemed that Pele did not believe me at all! She did not trust in my claim of having grown out of my childish ways! Terribly vexing."

"So, I decided this demanded a response of some sort. So I flicked my fork -" she mimicked the movement with her wrist, "- just right, sending a blob of mashed potatoes into the air, right in the back of the head of a soldier sitting behind Pele and to her left." Kaylin pursed her lips. "And then I said something to make it look like Pele was the one responsible for those mashed potatoes in that guy's hair and neck." She tapped her chin. "The soldiers around him positively loved it, but the soldier in question didn't take it all that well." With a shrug, she continued. "He felt the need to retaliate. After which I, of course, had to defend my dearest Sarge..."

Kaylin put her empty cup back on the table. "You can imagine it didn't take long for nearly half the mess to get involved. And the resulting mess in the mess was..." she kissed the gathered tips of her fingers. "Just beautiful. Unlike any food fight I had ever seen. The sheer magnitude of it, Trastion, it was breathtaking. The pies at the guesthouse got nowhere near to this."

Arnyn
She slanted her head somewhat while she listened, trying to gauge Trevadir's sincerity. He seemed sincere, as far as she could tell. "But the crew and... Dev... did commit crimes against Gondor? Which you witnessed, in person?" she asked, trying to make sure she understood him correctly.

It sounded like they had manipulated and intimidated the young man across from her into staying. "What 'crimes' did you commit against this captain and his crew, Trevadir?" the Lieutenant also asked, curious as to what he would label a crime, considering the crew and his father were criminals and they had treated him as they had.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

He laughed a little, noticing how eagerly Kaylin seemed to enjoy story telling. She was very good at it, for sure. He leaned his elbow on the table, listening curiously as she began. "Contributed to her safety protocols, huh?" He grinned, shaking his head in amusement, but kept quiet as she went on. The tale went on to speak of Pele, then a sergeant, still in bed at midday. He raised an eyebrow in slight surprise, wondering if she had had duties the previous night that kept her up, but didn't comment or ask. He did have to ask, however, about a certain other matter. "Wait, when you say you took her to lunch.. please tell me you let her change into her daywear first?" He asked with a little laugh. It would be rather awkward to have dragged her out to the mess hall in her sleeping wear, whatever that might be.

A little laugh and nod agreed with the statement that it was known that one could not begin an adventure on an empty stomach, and he kept quiet so as not to interrupt further. He could just about picture the scene as Kaylin described it, and grinned slightly, imagining her and Pele sitting there talking, and then... chaos. He laughed quietly as she continued to tell it, his grin growing bigger as the story wrapped up. "Wow," he laughed as she concluded. "That must have been hilarious to watch." He felt sorry that he had not been there. "You seem to have a lot of great stories," He grinned. "Too bad I have none to offer in return." He shrugged, but was still smiling. He could actually imagine he might get along quite well with Kaylin, though that might not be the best idea.. the levels of trouble that might result could be devastating to the city.

Trevadir

"But the crew and... Dev... did commit crimes against Gondor? Which you witnessed, in person?"

Trev dropped his gaze, any trace of a smile falling from his features. "Yes ma'am." He admitted quietly, feeling sure she was going to ask why he didn't report this to guards or anything. Or why he hadn't prevented these crimes from happening. The fact he had been scared to death of going near any guards might not be good enough. And, saying he'd wanted to stop them wasn't really good enough, since he didn't manage to do so most of the time. And she had no reason to believe much of anything he said, anyway. He hoped maybe she might try to believe him, if only because Macardil believed him.

He was expecting her to ask about these things.. maybe give a few examples of things he'd witnessed, and he was trying to think of a few that weren't too shameful to speak about. Her question, therefore, surprised him. She wanted to know what crimes he had done against the captain and crew? He blinked, looking up again at her. "Um.." He fidgeted, a bit uncomfortable talking about such things, to someone he didn't really know. Taking his flute into his hands, he felt a little more comfortable holding it in his lap. "Sabotaging the ship." He began, hesitantly. "There were several.. repeat offenses on that." He cleared his throat. "Failing to obey orders..Stuff like that.. whatever I could do to try and hinder them when they would have been attacking Gondorian ships.." He hesitated.

He had told Macardil about the incident with Cali and Iole and the guys, but had yet to venture into any of his other deeds. "..I may have cost them a great deal of profit on multiple occasions, endangered certain alliances they had made with some powerful Umbarians and other pirates..." His gaze lowered further. "I..put stuff in their drink one time, so they fell asleep, and caused them to lose.. um, everything they had just plundered in a raid. And..at the same time I stole something from an ally of another ship.. the captain, no less." He blushed faintly at that one. "But, that wasn't his sword! It belonged to Unalmis' family.. I just... wanted to return it to its rightful owner." He glanced up, and shifted uncomfortably. "I know it probably doesn't sound so good.." He said quietly, wondering if he should try to explain, but it was difficult to talk about himself, and what he'd done. Plus he figured there wasn't much reason for anyone to believe anything he said, considering the company he'd kept until recently.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

"Of course I let her change," Kaylin said, as if she were scandalized. "What do you take me for?" A grin mastered her face when Trastion said she seemed to have a lot of great stories. "Why thank you! I know. But listen, the story isn't over. The Barracks Master happened to walk in during our uh... pastime." Her eyebrows lifted. "I'm sure you can imagine how that went down. Everyone's mood plummetted straight into the depths of the pits of Mordor!"

"He gave the order to scrub the mess until the floors and tables were gleaming and said there would be no meals until the evening the next day. And then he demanded to know who had started this. And some new recruit pointed at Pele."

Kaylin leaned forward, as if to speak of something confidential. "Trastion," she said weightily, "I know I'm not your trainer or anything... But let me give you one piece of advice, if you didn't know already. Never be that recruit..."

Arnyn

Arnyn gave Trevadir a long, thoughtful look before replying this time. Once the silence was getting uncomfortable, she unclasped her hands and shifted forward hin her seat somewhat. "You said earlier you did not know why I asked to meet you. Let me tell you a bit more about myself, Trevadir, so I can answer that question fully. I may not be old, but I have seen many things. I have learned many things in my time with different versions of the ranger corps, working with different people who all have their own history and their own issues. I've learned that trying to see things from different angles can make all the difference in making command decisions. I've also learned you can never be completely sure about what someone will do exactly. But if you know them well enough, you can be sure of their character. And it seems I am not a bad judge of character."

"So when Macardil here asked me whether I would tell him if you were a wanted man..." She spread out her hands a bit, her forearms on the table. Reason told me to list the options. One option was that you could be guilty of things we do not know about, things that would make you a wanted man if we knew of them. And if I told Macardil you were in fact not wanted, I would be bringing a criminal into the city." She extended one finger. "Either a reformed criminal, resigned to do better." She extended a second finger. "Or a criminal who was looking forward to making the city his playground. In the case of the reformed criminal, I would effectively be granting you a second chance. Something I feel most if not all people - depending on their offense - deserve. Of course, the case of the unreformed, eager criminal would be bad." A third finger went up. "Another option was that you could be an entirely innocent man. Thus me telling Macardil - and by extension - you, about not being wanted would mean that a good man could get his life back."

With three fingers in the air right above the table, Arnyn raised her eyebrows minutely. "So. Logic told me the odds were in my favour. Two out of three outcomes, I would be happy with." She flattened the palm of her hand on the table.

"With reason covered, I could then turn to instinct. And my gut told me to meet you. To speak with you myself, to gauge you myself - to either reassure myself I had not made a mistake in giving Macardil that piece of information. Or to find that I did not trust this first impression you might make. And then I could simply take it from there." The Lieutenant's dark brown eyes met Trevadir's with a keen gaze. "The kind of people you've been around, are of no relevance. Your character is. And to get a better impression of it, I will need more details, Trevadir, than bullet point answers and vagueries."

Her last experience with Trastion as a recruit had reminded her it was good to be detailed in her questions herself, at least at first - to set the other person on the path she wanted them to take.
"How did you sabotage the ship? Always the same way, or different ways? What were they?"
"What kind of orders did you disobey? And why?"
"What else have you done to try to hinder their attacks on Gondorian ships?"

She supposed these were more than enough questions... to start.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

"Well, good," Trastion laughed lightly, relieved to hear that at least she'd given the lady a chance to change. He laughed lightly. "I just had to check, sorry!" he put his hands up defensively. Then he was surprised to hear that Kaylin's story wasn't finished. "Oh! Sorry." He fell silent, eagerly listening to the rest. His jaw dropped in some horror then at the mention of the barracks master entering, into that wonderful, chaotic food fight. "Ohhh no..." He could already guess about how that would have gone down.

And then to hear that the guy had said that Pele started it... Trastion's eyes widened. "Oh no.." He laughed a little. "Wowwwww. How badly did that end for her?" He asked, trying not to be quite so amused, but still... "Nooo, no I wouldn't do that!" He was quick to assure her. "I'm not a tattletale, I promise." He grinned. "I.. used to know someone like that, who was always running and telling on people about every little thing... I couldn't stand him." he added, making a face at the memory of his stepbrother. "I'd take the blame myself before I snitched on someone else."

Trevadir

As the silence stretched on, it was harder and harder for Trev not to fidget. When the lieutenant finally spoke again, he listened, nervous, as she began to explain her reasons for asking to meet him. He wasn't sure what to think. For a moment, he felt as if perhaps she must not have liked what he'd told her so far. This was some sort of test, he thought, and he had failed already. When she listed the possibility that maybe he was a criminal looking to come and cause trouble here, his mouth opened slightly in surprise, instinctively wanting to protest that idea. But before he had a chance to think of anything to say, she had continued on. He listened, growing increasingly concerned that he'd already lost his chance to prove he wasn't like she thought. What if he had to leave? Why did he have to go and say anything about doing any 'crimes'? He regretted his choice in words now, but there wasn't much he could do about that now. The lieutenant would probably decide he was nothing but a criminal, and would send him away.. he'd never get a chance to see his family, or to find his friends...

As she mentioned the third option, he felt a tiny gleam of hope return.. maybe it wasn't too late. He exhaled slowly, giving a tiny nod to show he was still listening as she explained then why she wanted to meet him. It made sense. He could understand the logic behind it. But he worried now that he had given the wrong first impression. He felt sure that the lieutenant was leading up to declaring that she'd made up her mind.. and then she asked him to clarify some of the things he had said.

Trev, again, let out a slow breath he had been holding without realizing it. And suddenly now that she asked, it felt like his mind went blank. The stress and nervousness was making it difficult to keep his mind clear. "Uh.." He paused, then took a drink of his lemonade, realizing his mouth felt dry. It also served to give him a few extra seconds to think. Swallowing, he paused, thinking carefully. "No, different ways," He answered at last. "Couldn't do the same thing every time, they'd know exactly what to expect." He smiled faintly. "Right, so... uh. Let's see. Things that I did to slow them down, and hinder their success in raids on other ships..." Still holding his flute in his lap, his thumb absently ran over the emblem on it, feeling as if he drew a little strength from it. "I'd.. cut the tiller lines, so the rudder wouldn't work and they couldn't control the ship. Or damage the rudder itself." He paused. That was definitely not all, but what else? It took a few seconds before he began to remember some other things. "Sometimes.. I'd loosen or untie knots in strategic places, or untie the corners of sails, or cut certain ropes. So the wind couldn't catch properly. Once they're unfurled in the wind, it's pretty hard to re-secure one corner, let alone two." He sat back, thinking about what else.

Now that he'd begun, it was a little easier to think of other things, the nervousness gradually fading a bit. "A few times I took the mainsails off entirely, and dumped them overboard. Once, I shredded the sails but that took a long time and they replaced them too easily." He paused to consider. "I did other sabotage than just to the ship itself.. but to their efforts as well. They uh, they'd follow a prospective ship, staying just out of sight and then wait until nighttime.. then come up closer, and take these small rowboats across, and board a ship in stealth, using grappling hooks so they could overpower the other crew by taking them off guard. So.. sometimes I'd loosen the knots on the hooks so when they went to climb up, they'd fall back down in the water when they put their weight on the ropes." He shrugged. "It's not much, but it was something. I thought the noise might help alert the ship's sentries to the pirates' approach." He explained. "Anyway... other times the crew would spot a target out in isolated waters, run up a distress flag to lure them in to help, and then..surprise." He frowned. "So.. I figured out that there's also sound signals.. whistles.. that can convey messages to other ships." The frown turned to a faint smile. "So... I tried to give them a good warning, when I could. Five rapid whistles in a row means danger, stay away." Holding up his flute to show the lieutenant, he shrugged. "That worked pretty well until they started locking me up in the brig..." He trailed off, clearing his throat.

"Anyway. For a more specific example.. This one time, not very long after I had joined them... some people came asking Dev for passage to Umbar. I recognized one of them. It was Unalmis' cousin, Warder. He wanted to go there so he could rescue someone.. a ranger who'd been captured or something." He wasn't too clear on the details of all that. "Anyway.. I dunno how, but I sorta swayed Dev to go for it and take them. He charged a ridiculous fee, but he took them. But then... he was going to leave them as soon as we restocked our supplies. Just abandon them there." He cleared his throat. "So.. that's when my sabotage first began."

"I was supposed to help with loading the supplies... only there were a lot of 'accidents' in the process." He kept his gaze down, feeling awkward talking about his deeds, and found it easier to continue when he couldn't see how they might be looking at him. "Like, dropping crates so they busted open.. loading the cart up in such a way that all the barrels rolled off and we had to spend a long time gathering stuff up.. you know. Just..delaying as much as I could. Until they returned... pursued by very angry-looking Umbarians. Dev didn't want to help them escape... he didn't want the Umbarians thinking he was helping them, you know.. so they wouldn't be angry at Dev. But..." He hesitated. "While he was insisting to Warder that he wouldn't set sail with them on board," Trev cleared his throat. "Someone untied the dock lines and got the ship underway. Without the captain's knowledge or permission." He glanced up briefly at Arnyn at that point, with a faint smile.

"Dev was furious with me," He added quietly. "Cause... after that he had to take them along and keep going, since it already looked like he was helping them escape. They didn't find the ranger, but they did rescue another lady. So I was glad some good came out of the whole thing, at least. That, and the look of surprise on Dev's face when he noticed the ship had already moved away from port.. It was worth the punishment." He smiled slightly and looked down again. "I never heard whether the ranger was found though." He added quietly. "As for the disobeying orders thing." He remembered to answer that question as well. "I just refused to follow.. certain orders." He hesitated. "Like helping them attack the ships they boarded... raiding..plundering. Things like that. I wouldn't participate in anything of that stuff. As far as sailing in general, sure, I'd do my part and all that. Just not when we were going to attack someone."
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

"Excellent," Kaylin decreed in regard to Trastion's words about taking the blame himself rather than telling anyone. "I thought the same. Besides, it really was my fault, that one. And Lieutenant Brian was about to lay who knows what punishment on poor Pele. So I took the blame on myself, as I should, and um... asked him to punish me instead of Pele. And to reconsider withholding the meals, for reasons this and that..." She blinked at Trastion. "He did not take it well," she entrusted to him, needless as that was to say.

Then she shrugged, raising her hands. "What can you do?" she asked lightly. "I couldn't very well let everyone be punished and go hungry for just having a bit of fun. Though truth be told, my attempts achieved very little, and it was Karis who had to get us out of trouble with the Lieutenant." Kaylin sighed at the memory, although her eyes were twinkling with merriment. "Those were the days! I hardly get into trouble anymore," she said, the regret evident in her voice.

Arnyn

She nodded every so often, with a neutral to friendly expression on her face as she listened to Trevadir's answers. There was too much detail in them for him to make it up on the spot. He had really done such things, she decided. To which ship or ships would still be up for debate among many, but the Lieutenant's instincts were telling her he was speaking no lies. These things which he had done, had been to the pirate ship. Not Gondorian ships. Well... she was not sure, of course. But this was her assumption as she observed him speak. Yet she did not show this assumption outwardly, not did she speak of it.

When he held up his flute, Arnyn gave it a careful look, but he did not hold it up for long and she let it go. The mentioning of Unamis' cousin, Warder, sparked some interest. Unalmis again. And Warder, whom Arnyn knew by Pele's information to be some kind of servant or friend, or both, of Isys. Warder had been going to Umbar to rescue someone. The Lieutenant raised an eyebrow, and her dark eyes flicked over to Macardil momentarily, who gave no cue as to what he was thinking. Warder rescuing someone? Not Isys, yes? No, she had not been a ranger at the time - but a knight. Or perhaps Isys had been with Warder. Or he with her. Arnyn's thoughts raced. A ranger, Trevadir said. And as it appeared, a woman. Pele had been in Umbar... Held there, while Arnyn was off in the North. Regrettably. A shadow passed over the Lieutenant's face as she was reminded of that particular failure. She had trouble, then, to respond to Trevadir's faint smile when he looked up at her. Yet, contrary to her lack of response, she would be truly grateful to Trevadir for any interference that would have helped in the aid of any ranger - Pele or otherwise.

And possibly, if Warder could verify... it was a shame the man was probably leagues away, in Belfalas or who knew where. She could not simply call him in to verify this claim... Then she narrowed her eyes as something clicked. Words from Isys, spoken at a turbulent meeting at headquarters. About, yes, Warder - and the young man known as Cadil whom Arnyn did not know. Who had set out after Pele's disappearance... Arnyn frowned. Perhaps then Warder's presence was unnecessary. Cadil was around, was he not? The Lieutenant's eyes flicked back to Kaylin's table. "What do you remember about Warder's company?" she inquired slowly of Trevadir. "Who was with him that time? Name? Appearance?"

"What did you put in their drinks to make them sleep?" Arnyn asked quietly, wondering how much he knew of such herbs or potions. "You say you stole a sword from another ship's captain - I assume this was also a pirate ship? And this sword belonged to Ranegr Unalmis' family? Did you end up returning the sword to Unalmis, then?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Trastion grinned. "Well, I'm glad it worked out well enough for everyone. And glad you owned up to it." He wondered whether the lieutenant actually had the authority to deny people meals. That sounded awfully harsh. Sure, they could go to a diner and get something, but still. It had been bad enough for everyone to get daily room inspections all because of one guy trying to hide a dog in his room, but no meals for an entire day?

"Hardly ever?" He asked with a little laugh. "That sounds pretty dull." He grinned. "I tend to fall into some sort of trouble all the time." He shrugged, thinking with a faint smile how he had come to select his name. He thought for a moment, toying with his glass thoughtfully. "Um, Kaylin? Could I ask something?" He ventured, sort of rhetorically. He continued, assuming she would say yes, "I heard somewhere that you used to have a habit of sneaking drinks into the barracks.." he mentioned. "Uh, like, alcoholic stuff.. is that true?" He wondered, inwardly cringing as he realized he couldn't think of a way to ask about this without it sounding..totally different from what he intended. "I mean.. well you're pretty familiar with alcoholic drinks, right?"

Trevadir

The look on Lieutenant Dealedwen's face didn't help Trevadir to feel less nervous. Her eyes had narrowed, her expression darkening a little. He had a feeling maybe she didn't believe his story. He swallowed, glancing briefly at Macardil, wondering if he at least believed what he was saying. Her questions, therefore, caught him a bit by surprise. Who else was with Warder? He blinked. "A guy named Cadil. He's a ranger, I think." He answered easily, adding a brief description of him. "He and Warder were both trying to look like sailors," He added with a vague smile at the memory. "It wasn't the best disguise.. but then I recognized them both from previous times. I'd met Cadil before, briefly. And Warder had lived with Nal for a while, not that long before then.. and I grew up next door to Nal, so I saw him often enough." He paused for a moment. "There was another guy, a knight from Lond Col. I didn't know him but I'd seen him before. He's from the other side." He paused, and realized that didn't quite make sense to someone who wasn't familiar with the setup. "What I mean is... my grandfather lives in the village on the side ruled by the Azrubel family, and the knight who was with them is from the other side, across the water. I think he might be lord Dimaethor's son, but like I said, I didn't know him."

Then.. more questions. He hesitated. "Oh.. that was a different time." He answered, slightly more awkward to have to delve into another story. "That um.. happened around the time of the war and all that.. it's sort of a long story." He cleared his throat, frowning slightly. It was not an incident he was eager to remember. Keeping his gaze down at the table, he took a slow breath. "A bunch of Umbarians and other folks were going to join forces to launch a devastating attack against Gondor. They were planning to gather all their ships together in this one spot, and all sail up the Anduin and attack together." He frowned deeper. "When I heard about it.. I was afraid. For Gondor.. for my friends and family.. I wanted to do something, but I didn't know what I could do. That's a lot of ships, you know?" He sighed.

"So.. Dev.. um, has a friend. Sorta friend. At least I think Captain Uhta believes they're friends. Dev doesn't really.. have friends, not really. He tricks them into thinking they're his friend, but he's too self-centered for any true friendships." He shrugged. "Anyway. So Captain Uhta and Dev stuck pretty close together, being allies and all that. They were raiding towns all along the coast, working their way up toward where the others were going to gather. And.. at one point, Captain Uhta was showing off this sword he'd taken over, some while back. He'd claimed it for his own, as..pirates do. But.. I saw it, and I recognized it. It belonged to Nal's family. It's like... a family heirloom or something. And I happened to know that Nal's uncle had ventured off with it many years ago." He explained. "So," He took a deep breath. "one evening, when they were partying and enjoying the results of their attack on one of the villages, I.. put some powder made of valerian root and magnolia bark in their drinks to make them fall asleep." He shifted a bit uncomfortably. "They all passed out. And, then I took all their weapons and dumped them overboard, except Uhta's sword. And then I freed all their captives and townspeople, and crippled both their ships so they couldn't go anywhere, and then I ran away.. with Nal's family's sword."

He glanced up slightly. "I was going to go to Harlond and warn them there about the pirates. I had no idea whether anyone would believe me, but I had to try. I was hoping, maybe someone would believe it. And I was going to take the sword to Nal. But I didn't get the chance." He looked down again. "There were these rangers, all dressed in grey. They found the main assembly of pirates before I got a chance to warn anyone about them, so my warning became unnecessary. But.. one of the rangers saw me and stopped to talk to me." Trev hesitated, thinking back about how Nal had reacted to this particular news, and decided to leave out a couple of unimportant details. "He took the sword from me." He said quietly, which was true. "Then there was this...terrifying army of ghosts that swept by us, and.." He closed his eyes, shivering slightly. "I was scared to death.. but the ranger told me to stay with him so they wouldn't think I was with the pirates. And he..told me I should come back home with them." He smiled faintly. "I was going to. I really wanted to." He sighed. "He even said I could help him sail one of the ships. The ranger's leader assigned a ship to each of his company, so they could sail them up to aid Gondor instead of the pirate's plan. And this guy didn't know much about sailing, and I did by then, so.. it seemed it would work out great for both of us. I was excited for a chance to help them, instead of the pirates." He took a moment to sip his drink, finishing it off, and glanced at the lieutenant to see whether she seemed to believe any of this, or if there was any point in continuing.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
"You do, hmm?" Kaylin asked with a grin. "Maybe we should hang out more." At his question, she just gestured. Yes. When he asked what was on his mind, she burst out with laughter - though she managed to rein it in pretty fast. "HAHAHA!" She put her hand over her mouth to recover for a second and then shrugged, grinning broadly. "Well," she said, slanting her head as if thinking back, "I suppose. Mourgan and I thought of a few tricks..." She raised an amused eyebrow. "Why? Are you thinking of your next bout of trouble?" She leaned forward. "If so, can I get in on it?"

Grinning, she leaned back again and considered his last question. "Familiar? To a degree," she said slowly. "Not at all skilled at making them. Exceptionally talented at consuming them."

Image | Image
Arnyn | Macardil

Trevadir knew Cadil's name and what he looked like. Then at the very least he had indeed seen them, and they had indeed asked for passage to Umbar. The question was, then, whether Trevadir was telling the truth that he had tried to thwart the pirates and help Warder and Cadil. It seemed like he was. When a knight from Lond Col came up, Arnyn nodded. Abrazimir, in all likelihood.

As Trevadir elaborated on the next tale, Arnyn made eye contact with Macardil. Did he already know about all this? His expression was giving away nothing at all, though Arnyn thought his eyes had an interested gleam to them. The dark-haired man gave a minute shake of his head in reply to her unspoken question. Then all of this was news to him, as well. Her attention remained on the former Ranger Lieutenant for a moment, as he sat there as calmly as if he'd heard all of this three times before. When her gaze returned to Trevadir, he had just started talking about Captain Uhta. Listening to the tale, Arnyn's face cleared a little. Macardil had said that Trevadir had called Unalmis a friend, and now it appeared Trevadir had gone to great lengths to retrieve that sword.

"Did the Ranger in grey tell you his name?" She frowned - but it was a thoughtful frown and not one of displeasure. "He did not ask for the sword, but took it from you? Why?" Maybe he was a relative of Unalmis' and figured the sword was his? She could hardly think of a different reason. Unless it was the only way the sword would get back to Unalmis' family, since Trevadir had been afraid to return until now. When he mentioned the ghosts and shivered, Arnyn gave him a sympathetic look. That... Yes. "At least that Ranger did seem to want to help you, then," she half-said, half-asked.

"Before you go on... Did Unalmis ever get his sword back? And does he know your role in retrieving what was lost?"

Macardil, meanwhile, cleared his throat. "Apologies for the interruption, Lieutenant, Trevadir... Regardless of how fascinating -" he glanced at Arnyn as if to make sure she would note what he was saying, "-and impressive these stories are, I feel like I am intruding on a conversation I should not be intruding on. Trevadir, I can leave you with the Lieutenant if you wish. You need not share these stories with me if this is not your wish."

Arnyn's eyes widened minutely. "That is true. However, if you wish for Macardil to remain, he will." She gave the former ranger a look that suffered no protest. "And even you leave the table, Macardil, I would have you stay in the inn until my signal. Your exit has significance. I can explain later."

Macardil nodded his understanding. "Of course, Lieutenant." His blue eyes returned to Trevadir. "What do you say, my friend? Do not worry. I will not take it as a slight if you would prefer to talk to Lieutenant Dealedwen in private."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Trastion laughed slightly at the suggestion that they ought to hang out more. He assumed she was only kidding, and doubted that she really had much intention of spending time with him. "I seem to have nothing but bad luck lately, so it seems to make trouble find me more easily." He shrugged. But yes, on to the matter he had brought up. He was a bit baffled when she burst out laughing, and quickly cast a glance toward Arnyn's table, worried she would hear something. He wouldn't want her thinking he had lied about not drinking.

"Oh, no." He shook his head in answer to her question. "I'm not..plotting anything, no." he fidgeted. "It's just..." He took a deep breath, then sighed. "Well, you know Mourgan." He noted that she had mentioned that. "He's my roommate. And..he had this stuff," he frowned. "I don't know what it was. It smelled...really strong. Anyway.." He cleared his throat quietly. "It got um...spilled. All of it. And it was sort of my fault, and I wanted to replace it for him, because..he was pretty upset and I don't want him to be angry at me." He explained. "Anyway, the problem is.. I've been all over the city so far, to all the places that serve alcohol between the barracks and here.. and not one person can tell me what was in this." He pulled the empty flask from where he had kept it out of sight, and tentatively offered it to her, trying to keep the exchange discreet.

Trevadir

Trev hesitated for a moment at the first question, and considered how that must have sounded. He decided to answer the second one first. "He didn't take it by force, I should have made that clear." He said. "More like.. he convinced me to give it into his care.. for safe keeping. It was a big, two-handed sword, and I was a few years younger then, so it was nearly bigger than I was." He smiled faintly, then paused, trying to decide how he could answer her questions properly. "The ranger was called Gwandhyra." Trev answered slowly, choosing his words carefully. "And he was genuine in wanting to help me. I didn't speak with any others, only him. But he convinced me to come back with him and the others.. and I was going to."

Taking a deep breath, he sighed softly at the question about Unalmis. He dropped his head down. "I couldn't say. I didn't make it that far." He answered quietly, and hesitated. "You would have to ask Unalmis what he knows of this." He shrugged slightly, reluctant to admit that Nal had been unwilling to believe his story, or else unwilling to hear certain details that were upsetting to him. He wondered, briefly, whether he was still upset about that, or if what happened at the Midsummer event had changed things between them, back to how they used to be. He really hoped so.. and hoped that if she did ask Unalmis, his friend would collaborate what he was telling the lieutenant.

The interruption from Macardil caught him a bit off guard. He turned, blinking. Trevadir had not forgotten the former ranger was there, but he had been so quiet that to hear him speak now was a bit unexpected. More so was the words he spoke. He hesitated, unsure whether that meant Macardil was trying to make an excuse to step out. Perhaps he didn't want to stay there any longer? Or perhaps he really wasn't sure if Trev wanted him there.. but Trev realized as soon as he heard the question that he didn't really want Macardil to go. He was nervous enough about the whole thing already, and having a friend there.. even one he had only recently met.. made him feel a little less tense. But he also didn't want the man to feel obligated to stay if he'd rather not.

Waiting until the lieutenant had finished her words, Trev looked back at Macardil. The words 'my friend' brought a tiny smile. "I don't mind you staying." He assured him, trying not to speak too hurriedly, or feel too anxious at the thought of him leaving. "But.. if you want to go, it's alright.. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable or anything." He hesitated. "I wouldn't call any of this impressive or fascinating, really.. it's just what happened." He shrugged. "I didn't tell any of it before, because.. I don't know. It's weird telling anyone about these things.. it feels like I'm bragging on myself or something. " He explained, and hesitated. "Anyway, if.. if you don't mind staying, I think I would prefer to have a friend around, but I'll be fine if you'd rather not." He actually thought he'd feel more comfortable telling all of this to Macardil who had already earned his trust and saved his life several times in the span of two days, rather than a lieutenant he didn't know and who might banish him or lock him up if she decided he was lying.. But he said none of that. "Besides," He added with a small shrug. "None of what I've said here is exactly a secret... and after all you've done to help me get here, I figure you at least deserve to hear some of the reasons why they made it so.. difficult." He mentioned quietly.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

She might have been disappointed when Trastion reassured her he was not plotting on any trouble. And the disappointment in her expression only made way for curiosity when he started talking about 'strong' stuff. Intrigued, she leaned her elbow on the table and put her chin in the palm of her hand.

Her eyebrows lifted when Trastion said all of Mourgan's liquor got spilled and it was his fault. "Spilled?" she repeated dubiously. She couldn't imagine Mourgan keeping his stash somewhere where it could be knocked over and spilled. She nodded slowly as Trastion continued to say Mourgan hadn't been happy with him. When the recruit said no one had been able to tell me what Mourgan had been stashing away, Kaylin grinned. She was surprised when Trastion discreetly offered her a flask.

With a questioning expression, she took the flask from him. Given her training, she did not need more than Trastion's small cues to know he didn't want the whole room to know what this was about. She opened the flask to first sniff it carefully.

She gave Trastion a look. "Damn. No wonder he was upset with you." She sniffed again, thoughtful. "This stuff doesn't come cheap. And it wouldn't be sold by any of the inns. Not even any of the specialty shops at the Marketplace." She paused before sniffing the flask one last time, but whether it was inquisitive or dreamy this third time, was hard to tell. "This is under-the-table stuff. Hard to come by for an above-the-board player... such as yourself." Or at least, so she imagined. Trastion didn't look like he was very aware of the more secretive dealings in the city.

Image | Image
Arnyn | Macardil

Was that hesitation? What was it with people and giving up simple names, lately? "Gwandhyra, hmm," she repeated quietly, looking at Trevadir searchingly. That was the second time she had heard that name, in just a few days' time. Duinion had also mentioned knowing him - and seeing the Northern Ranger during the Battle of the Pelennor. From what she was gathering, he seemed like a good sort of fellow at least. But if he had convinced Trevadir to hand over a sword that belonged to Unalmis' family... for safe keeping... when he was also the person who had convinced Trevadir to come back home... Why would Trevadir hand over the sword to a stranger, if he was going to see Unalmis that soon? Was it really because the weapon was so large? "By all accounts, this Gwandhyra should have returned the sword to Unalmis or his family, then. His father, perhaps. Either way, Unalmis would know," Arnyn mused thoughtfully. This would be a way to corroborate this particular story, then. "Unless... on the off chance this northern ranger never ended up delivering the sword to them." Then none of the Raxëlilta's would be the wiser, she supposed.

When Trevadir said he wouldn't mind Macardil staying, and even preferred him to stay in fact, Arnyn smiled faintly as she looked at the former ranger Lieutenant. Karis had shared very succinctly that it had not been easy for Macardil to have lost so many friends in the city. But, it seemed that he had at least made a new one.

Macardil nodded at Trevadir. His blue eyes gleamed and he smiled. "Then I will stay," he reassured the flutist. "And while I understand what you mean when you say you feel like you are bragging about yourself, I do not believe that is how your audience is hearing it."

"Indeed it isn't," Arnyn agreed. "You seem to be downplaying your actions, if anything. A strange thing, if you are trying to aim for a good impression." A soft smile made its way to her features. This was part of why she was inclined to believe Trevadir already.

"So how far did you get that time, Trevadir?" she asked quietly, more interested now in the story than in trying to gauge Trevadir's character, even though her questions did pertain to how fickle his character might be. "You said you were going to come back to the White City, but you never got that far. What changed your mind so shortly after this Gwandhyra convinced you to come?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Watching Kaylin, Trastion was a bit surprised when she seemed to actually know the stuff. He leaned forward, feeling hopeful at last of being able to accomplish his personal quest. "You know it?" He asked, ignoring the skepticism and questioning 'spilled?' she had spoken. That was really not something he wanted to discuss. His hopes sank again as she mentioned that it wasn't cheap. "Well.. how much are we talking?" He asked quietly. "I mean, I.. don't know how much that sort of thing tends to cost, and I haven't had much time to save up yet..."

Frowning, he listened as Kaylin went on to talk about how it wasn't sold by just anyone. Specialty stuff then? He thought of old vintage wines of particular years, and how coveted some of those could be. Among people who drank the stuff, anyway. But a moment later, the Hyandaner's words sent his hopes sinking even further. Under the table stuff? What did that even mean exactly? He frowned. "Wait... you mean like.." His voice sank to a lower tone as he leaned closer to her, "..illegal?" He asked tentatively, wondering. "That's actually a thing? People actually have.. what, black market alcohol drink stuff?" Trastion found this rather baffling, wondering why in middle earth there would even be such a thing. "So... I probably won't be able to replace this for him, I guess." He added, disappointed. Not because he wanted to spend his money on something that might be illegal and certainly wasn't good for his roommate.. but merely for the sake of his good intention turning out to be useless.

'That night we rested while others laboured. For there were many captives set free, and many slaves released who had been folk of Gondor taken in raids; and soon also there was a great gathering of men out of Lebennin and the Ethir, and Angbor of Lamedon came up with all the horsemen that he could muster. Now that the fear of the Dead was removed they came to aid us and to look on the Heir of Isildur; for the rumour of that name had run like fire in the dark.
'And that is near the end of our tale. For during that evening and night many ships were made ready and manned; and in the morning the fleet set forth.

-Gimli, Chapter 9 of ROTK

Trevadir

He relaxed slightly, though tried not to be too obvious about it, when Macardil said he would stay. While Trev thought the lieutenant seemed nice enough and everything, he still wasn't sure about her, and he could sense a commanding.. almost 'no nonsense' sort of presence about her, despite his first impression. A small shrug was his reply at the suggestion that he seemed to be downplaying his part. Before he had much chance to comment about that, Lieutenant Dealedwen was returning him toward the telling of the story he had begun. Right... How far did he get that time, she asked? Trev's gaze dropped and he sighed. "I didn't change my mind, but that was as far as I got." He answered quietly, frowning. He glanced at Macardil. "I bet you can guess what happened." He paused for a moment, in case Macardil wanted to venture a guess. Considering all that had happened in the past two days, he wondered if Macardil would put it together with this prior incident when Trev tried to leave the crew and go back home. "Dev happened." Trev explained after a brief moment, whether Macardil ventured a guess or not.

"After the rangers had defeated the pirates, and the ghost army went away.. there was still a lot of stuff to do. A lot of slaves were set free from the enemy ships, and then a bunch of other people came around, all eager to find out what was going on and see the king they'd heard about. I only caught a glimpse of him here and there through the crowd. But.. as I'm sure you know of course, it turned out he was the ranger's leader.. the one who controlled all those ghosts." He decided not to mention, at this time, what other terrible things he heard later about this king. "Anyway... I was just staying out of everyone's way on the ship that Gwandhyra had taken charge of, trying to make sure it was ready to sail in the morning." He explained. "It was late, and very dark. Gwandhyra had gone away to do something, and I was alone for..just a few minutes.. and suddenly someone hit me from behind. Next thing I knew, I was waking up to find Dev looking down at me." His grip tightening on his flute in anger, then took a deep breath and released it.

Trying to relax a little, Trev moved his elbow to rest on the table, and put his forehead down to rest in the palm of his right hand, keeping his gaze down at the table. "It.. was around the afternoon of the next day by then, and all the ships were gone. The rangers too." He said quietly, trying hard to keep his voice from betraying the emotion, reluctant to let on how deeply he had been hurt that day. He took a moment to try to gather his emotions back inside, trying to push them down deeper, but had not quite mastered that feat as well as others. "He told me.. what I now know is a lot of lies. Told me about how they'd seen one of the rangers hit me from behind so that I fell unconscious, and how it was a good thing that he and Uhta had come after me, because he'd heard some of the others discussing what to do with.. the pirate kid.. and they had rescued me from a terrible fate.. Things like that." He clenched his jaw, frowning. "He wanted me to believe that I'd been betrayed."

Trev closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. "At the time, I hadn't yet figured out what I know now. It took a while for me to become wise to Dev and his deception." He admitted quietly. "I.. was skeptical that Gwandhyra was in on any betrayal plot, for.. certain reasons. But.." He shrugged slightly. "I knew nothing about the others. And Dev... it's hard to explain." Trev sighed, and slowly looked up again. "He's like.." He frowned, unsure how to explain. "I know now that he lies all the time. I mean, just about every word he speaks is..like, either a lie, or purposely chosen to make you believe what he wants you to believe, or..to get you to do what he wants you to do.. always working toward his own personal goals. Whatever those are." He frowned, unsure if that made sense, or if she understood. "If you have the misfortune of talking with him for even a short while, it can be really..difficult to know what's actually fact, or fabricated by him...or if he means what he's saying, or..whatever. If you understand what I mean." He sighed. "Anyway. At that time I.. still hadn't really caught on to his deceptive ways. I knew he lied and cheated and all that, I just.. I didn't realize the extent of it all. So, I believed most of what he said."

Careful of his still-bruised left eye, Trev dropped his forehead into his palm again, sighing heavily. "Gwandhyra probably thought I changed my mind and skipped out on him." He muttered, upset by the thought of him reaching such a conclusion. "Or else.. he thought that I was only pretending the whole time that I ever meant to come along with him.. waiting for the first opportunity to slip away." He shrugged, unsure what the man had thought when he found Trevadir gone. "Either way.. he probably has a pretty low opinion of me now. But I never saw him again after that." He shrugged, then lifted his head then and let his arm rest flat on the table, looking up at Arnyn. "I was very upset by everything Dev told me.. things which he claimed to have personally seen and heard. And I told Dev, despite his story about rangers betraying me, that I didn't want to go back with him."

"In fact.. honestly, I was scared to go back. I had a feeling both crews were going to be furious with me. Actually.. while Uhta wasn't too happy about me losing 'his' sword.. he forgave me pretty quickly because, as it turned out, I saved him and his crew from being there when the other pirates were assailed by the ghosts. Although.. he did want me to get him a new sword." He frowned, but went on. "But... I knew what Dev and his crew were like. They're not so forgiving..." He frowned. "I guess I got a little.. hysterical or something, begging him not to make me go back." Trev smiled wryly. "Then Dev gave me something to drink. Said it would calm me down so we could 'talk rationally'." He paused, trying to gauge the lieutenant's expression. "It was left over from their.. partying." He explained quietly, unsure whether the lieutenant would connect the dots on her own. "I guess he considered it amusing 'justice' to use it on me."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

She wanted to answer his eager question as to whether she knew the drink, but he followed it up too quickly by speaking of the cost. Mentally Kaylin was debating on how to proceed. How much would she want Trastion to know about her contacts, about who and what she knew? This was a recruit, relatively new into their ranks and she did not know him at all. What would he share with anyone else who came asking questions?

A laugh almost escaped her at his incredibly innocent surprise. She tamped it down to an amused grin. "Why would they not have a black market for this stuff? Inns and the like have standards and buy through guilds or merchants who buy through guilds themselves. But plenty of people make their own liquor, and try to make some additional coin on the side. Not the sort of liquor any official establishment would offer."

She sighed. "Some variants are not very good. Taste-wise. But strong. Give you a quick kick and a long buzz. That's why it sells. Others are quite smooth, actually. But then usually a bit less potent." She nodded discreetly at the flask while she handed it back to Trastion. "That is definitely a mix of both. Trying to marry the two best qualities of each," she mused. "And I know of only one person in the White City who sells something like that. It's hard to say what price she will set." And Kaylin wasn't at all sure whether she wanted to bring Trastion to her.

With a frown, she gave him a searching look. "How important is this, Trastion?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Kaylin's return question caught Trastion slightly by surprise. Why would they not have such things? He could only shrug in answer to that. "I dunno. I'm not interested in such things, myself." He sat back again, listening as she described the various things. Taste, and potency and all of that. And still had no interest, personally. Taking the flask back, he returned it to where he had kept it hidden thus far, and looked at Kaylin with slight awe as she narrowed down who this particular stuff must have come from. "Wait.. you got all of that from just three sniffs?" He laughed lightly. "Amazing." He shook his head and smiled. "Is that a ranger skill, or a..Kaylin skill?" He wondered with slight amusement.

His amusement faded though as she asked the next question. How important was it? He hesitated, absently toying with his empty water glass, trying to think. That was a tricky question, really. "Well.. I don't know. You probably know Mourgan better than I do. If your roommate had..um, caused you to lose a whole thing full of this stuff," he gestured vaguely toward where he'd stowed the flask, "How angry would you be? How upset do you think Mourgan might be?" He posed the question, only partially rhetorical, and continued. "More importantly.. if that roommate went to all the effort of replacing it.. how much do you think that would help in earning forgiveness for the stuff getting spilled in the first place?" He shrugged. "It's not that I think he should have this stuff. I'm sure it's terrible for a person's health, but.. well he'd probably end up getting more himself. So, I guess it's the gesture that counts, wouldn't you think? I want him to know I'm sorry for what happened, and that I don't think 'sorry' is just a word to use when you don't want someone to be angry at you."

Shrugging slightly, Trastion gave a faint laugh. "Besides. I seem to have caused nothing but trouble for myself and Mourgan.. and a few others.. ever since I arrived." He cleared his throat. "Like.. everyone in the south wing..." He looked down, holding back a sigh. "Seems like I keep running into bad luck everywhere I go. If it keeps up, he's liable to request a new roommate." He glanced up again. "Mourgan helped me out with something a while back.. and I haven't done a lot in the way of repaying that favor...yet." He shrugged again. "So I'd like to be able to replace the stuff, if I can. Or at least make every effort I can."
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

When Trastion said he wasn't interested in such things, Kaylin looked at him for a bit and then sighed slowly. "You're Arnyn's recruit, all right." She grinned at his next questions. "It's a Kaylin skill," she said, leaning forward and lowering her voice. "Mum's the word."

Her expression remained calm when he asked how upset she would be, but she made a face when he asked how upset she thought Mourgan might be. "Yeah." She gave Trastion a sympathetic look. It wasn't exactly an answer, but they both knew what the answer was. Pretty damn upset. Kaylin smiled faintly. "If you actually manage to replace it, I think he'd really appreciate you for it. And give you a weird look, probably." Because Trastion shouldn't have been able to replace it. Hmm. It was an interesting project, she mused. There was no denying that part.

Listening to what else Trastion had to say, Kaylin drew in a slow breath. Sighed. Then nodded. "Fine. Fine, fine, fine!" With narrowed eyes, she pointed at Trastion. "With one big HOWEVER, recruit. This isn't a trip out into the woods to gather some berries or whatever. If we're doing this.. You'll do as I say. You'll act as I say. You'll speak as I say. Or no deal. Got it?"

Image | Image
Arnyn | Macardil

Macardil looked at Trevadir. He nodded. His father. But he did not voice it out loud. This was Trevadir's story to tell.

Mild surprise continued to be his foremost response to all the things Trevadir was saying. A few times, he glanced at Arnyn, trying to gauge what the Lieutenant was thinking about all this. However, if anything, Arnyn was even better at hiding her reaction than he was. A slight frown settled on Macardil's face. He knew why he had learned such a thing. Why had she?

Listening to Trevadir explain why he had believed Dev was almost painful. He need not explain, after all. Dev was his father. And a child always wanted to trust in their parents. They want their parents to care for them. For a child to dismiss a parent after one misstep or perhaps even two... it was rare. And said something about how cold that child could be. Even though Macardil had not know Trevadir that long, the flutist did not strike him as cold. Thus believing his father seemed perfectly acceptable. Even if his father was a criminal.

As for Arnyn, she nodded when Trevadir paused. "Laced with valerian root and magnolia bark." Lightly drumming her fingers on the table, the Lieutenant seemed to make a decision of sorts, for her expression changed from thoughtful and searching to a more determined expression. "Well, Trevadir Thôrmaetha. Your crimes, as you called them, to Dev and to the crew, were in service of the good of the kingdom as well as the good of your friend. At least as far as I can see it. I do not require further detailing of them - you have told me much, and in such a way that you've convinced me they are not mere fabrications. Fascinating as they are," she smiled there, "you should not feel obligated to tell me any more of them."

"That brings me back to the crimes committed by Dev and his crew, which you have witnessed. I understand that your fear of being caught and encarcerated for your association with them would have prevented you from making any sort of report on these pirates." And now, this next bit was very important. "Now that you know you are not a wanted man... If I give you my word that you will not be charged with anything, by anyone - unless something happens to come to light that you are hiding from me and that unequivocally proves you did in fact commit crimes to Gondor or its citizens... are you willing to report on Dev and his crew?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

Arnyn's recruit? Trastion wasn't entirely sure what that was supposed to mean, but he shrugged and didn't ask. He nodded with a small smile, instead, to her other comment. "An interesting skill, but I won't tell anyone, I promise." It seemed like one of those skills that would likely never be useful for anything, but yet.. now it had. He had hope of actually accomplishing his goal, now. But it seemed that she was a little reluctant to help him, which was both confusing and disappointing. He wasn't sure why.

He answered with a faint smile and nod when the hyandaner said she thought Mourgan would be appreciative. That's what Trastion had assumed as well. Then he laughed lightly. "A weird look? Why?" He wondered, not quite getting that this whole thing was not so easily done as he would have expected. Soon enough, to his relief, she was giving in and agreeing to help him. His smile grew as she said 'fine' several times, and was about to tell her thanks, when she popped up with her condition. Trastion looked a bit puzzled, wondering what she meant. Now that he had found out what the stuff was, and Kaylin seemed to know where to get it.. it shouldn't be any trouble at all to get some of the stuff, right?

"Sure.." He answered slowly, hesitating a little as he wondered what sort of things to expect. "With.. one condition of my own." He added, as a precaution. "I.. I uh. I have reasons why I don't touch alcohol. I'd rather not say what they are, but.." He shifted a bit uncomfortably. "I'll follow your instructions as long as it doesn't involve taking any drinks." He agreed, feeling it might be best to make that part clear. It was one thing to mention he was uninterested in alcohol, and another to make it clear that he wouldn't touch it at all. He'd had more than enough of that stuff for himself, just having it poured on his shirt, and personally did not want to have anything else to do with it, and had no intention of doing so once he'd gotten this for Mourgan.

Trevadir

As Trev was trying to figure out how to go on, to gather himself together and push the emotions down deep, so he could continue, the lieutenant spoke up, her manner altering slightly. He blinked. She seemed more decided now. He sat still, holding his breath as he listened to what she was saying, and finally let out the breath at the end. He needn't tell any more. That was as much of a relief to him as the other thing she said, that he had convinced her. It had been difficult, telling all of this, and the tale which came next was more painful still. As well as awkward, and not entirely his tale to tell. He wasn't sure if Iole would want it told, and he was uncomfortable telling it, himself. However, he did suddenly begin to worry now that he recalled that incident, added together with the fact he had told Iole he was living in Harlond. He made a mental note to get a message to her as soon as possible, because he felt sure that Dev would remember her, and Trev suspected that Dev wouldn't hesitate to use her somehow, to get Trev to come back. But he had to get through this meeting before anything else could be done.

Trevadir's relief was evident as the lieutenant declared he need not tell anything more because she was convinced, although the full cause for it was less obvious. He smiled faintly. "Thank you." He said quietly, before going quiet again as she returned to the matter of Dev and his crimes. He nodded slightly, glad that the lieutenant understood why he had not reported any of it. He looked at her as she posed her question, briefly getting distracted by the clause. What if someone came along making up lies to incriminate him? He tried not to get too caught up with that possibility, and returned to the question the lieutenant had asked. Was he willing to report on Dev? Definitely, he started to say, but stopped himself from answering too quickly, sitting back in his chair thoughtfully. He wasn't sure exactly what she had in mind.. telling her this stuff? or sending him to talk to the guards? He gave a slow nod. "Absolutely.. so long as I don't have to talk to the guards." He replied quietly. "I'm..well I don't trust them at all. And that doesn't have anything to do with Dev." He explained. "I'll talk to you.. I'll tell you whatever you want to know. But I won't talk to them."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

"Because you can't just show up and buy this stuff, Trastion," Kaylin explained, rolling her eyes. "It's a non-existent shop. The location changes. The names involved change. You'd never be able to replace this all on your own."

His own condition made her look at him thoughtfully. "That shouldn't be a problem," Kaylin said slowly. "Just for the record. You have reasons why you don't touch it, and it's clear you don't want to. I'm good with that. Let's just say stuff goes down and it's either you having a drink or us fighting our way out." She raised her hands. "I'm not saying that will happen - it shouldn't happen. But odds are we're going to run into one or two... shadier residents of the city. If we catch them on an off-day..." Kaylin shrugged. "I just need to know how important it is. Should I assume this condition of yours is iron-clad, even if following it creates a dangerous situation that could be otherwise avoided?"

Image | Image
Arnyn | Macardil

The first words to cross Trevadir's lips in response to her question, sealed the deal. Good. For some reason, in her gut Arnyn had been expecting some form of protest against reporting on his father, despite everything Trevadir had told her. But she was relieved this was not the case. If Trevadir was willing to tell them all he knew... Firstly, the information would surely be invaluable. Secondly, he was agreeing to the condition she had decided to set for him the day before, after Macardil had come to inquire about his wanted status. If Trevadir was willing to prove his good will, so was Arnyn.

And yet... the words that followed, gave her pause. He did not want to talk to the guards. In light of everything she had heard, from Cali, from Isys... that was interesting. And it reminded the Lieutenant she still needed to ask Unalmis about the guard he personally did not trust.

"To me, but not to the guards," she repeated slowly. "Even now you know you are not wanted, you do not trust them." Why might be too personal a question, even though that was the one she had initially meant to ask. But some reflection told her that she was more interested in whether Trevadir's lack of trust was a general thing, or rather aimed toward one or several specific individuals. Therefore the question that followed was this: "You do not trust any of them, or is this about certain guards only?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trastion

He considered the reason Kaylin gave, and nodded slightly. Buying things from non-existent shops was not exactly a thing Trastion was familiar with. Much less some..black market type thing. He never expected that he would even want to do anything of the sort. And found himself idly wondering why Mourgan..and Kaylin for that matter.. knew about this stuff. Or why they wanted to know about it. Trastion put those questions from his mind though, figuring maybe the knowledge had its uses among the rangers. Or something like that. Hearing that he wouldn't have been able to do this on his own made him glad that he'd decided to ask Kaylin for help. Otherwise he would've been wandering around all day asking everyone, and probably no one would have been willing to help even if they knew, if he understood what Kaylin was saying.

Her response to his condition was a relief. Not a problem. But, more questions then followed. He'd been worried there would be a few. But, while he preferred not to divulge certain things... he deemed it wiser to tell the hyandaner upfront how serious he was about keeping away from alcohol, instead of surprising her with that later when there might be others around. The theoretical scenario that Kaylin posed to him, however, made him frown. "I'm sorry.. but yes, it is very ironclad." He informed her, a little uncomfortably. "Or.. maybe mithril-clad is more like it." He added with a faint smile. According to what he'd heard, mithril was stronger than any other metal, or something like that. "Is that a problem?"

Trevadir

Trevadir nodded slightly in response to the lieutenant's words. Correct. Dev may have colored his thinking against guards in general, but he was willing to accept that those might have been lies. But what he had seen with his own eyes.. he knew that was no lie, and he knew a great deal which this lieutenant might be interested in hearing. If she would believe him, anyway. Her question, then, was a little surprising. As if she knew or guessed what his problem was already. Trev glanced over at Macardil, wondering.. had he told her what Trev said the other night about the guard lieutenant?

Trev thoughtfully considered the blond woman in front of him, curious what she might know, but he figured she was also not likely to answer any questions he might ask of her. She seemed more like the type to ask the questions and refuse to give any up, herself. So he might as well give her the best ones he could and hope that maybe something useful could come of it. "One in particular. But.. he's a lieutenant, according to Nal, so I don't really trust anyone under him, either." He shrugged. "Hard to know whether he's the only one, or if he's got all his underlings doing his bidding too... you know?" Trev shrugged. "I was surprised to learn he's still a guard at all, actually.. considering where I've seen him, and the things I've seen him doing."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin

She shook her head. "Not a problem," she stated, almost business-like now, which was a far cry from her attitude only minutes before. "I just needed to know. No alcohol under any circumstances for you. Got it."

"Well... I'm free now. How much time do you have left today? Or would you prefer to look into this at a different time?"

Image | Image
Arnyn | Macardil

Macardil's eyes returned Trevadir's glance in a way that said 'no'. He had not mentioned Aderic Androllius to Arnyn. Honestly, it seemed like the blonde ranger knew much more than Macardil would have given her credit for.

Meanwhile, Arnyn was already assuming that the 'one guard in particular' that Trevadir was talking about, was likely the same one Unalmis did not care for - as per Isys' report. For a moment, she pondered Trevadir's words. "Would you also be willing to speak to me about him?" she asked, lowering her voice. "This guard Lieutenant?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength