my media adaptation

"As for myself," said Eomer, "I have little knowledge of these deep matters; but I need it not."
Guardian of the Golden Wood
A Hobbit's Guide to Stairs has just moved house, into here, a corner where i have very rarely ventured. so i thought i should put my cards on the table.

basically, i am old. i lived for five years whilst Tolkien was still alive and i had my youthful Middle-earth obsession long before the days of the internet and the movies. don't get me wrong - i was awed by the first 3 movies, watched them endlessly, and was delighted how many unexpected people around me suddenly revealed their private passion for the books. all this got me back into books that i had not picked up for a decade.

but The Hobbit trilogy ended things for me. i have not watched even a trailor for the Amazon series. i watched the biopic and it was like The Hobbit movies - a director ignorant of the text! so this did start me wondering what the abomination of an adatpation of the original story of Bilbo Baggins meant for the 3 great LotR movies. then i read Christopher Tolkien back in 2012, and i was at first taken aback and found it hard to take seriously. but what he says was like a worm that wriggled into my brain, until now all i can say is that Christopher Tolkien was absolutely right!

@Eldy Dunami has got me with her take on the big money visual adaptations as just instances of fan-fiction. but they are not the same as fan-fiction in this respect: there are thousands of fan-fiction stories and only a handful of movie adaptations, and this is because the cost of writing a story and making a blockbuster are way different.

The next question is how good are these spectacular adaptations compared to fan-fiction? well, fan-fiction varies in quality but The Hobbit trilogy was simply terrible. And given the enormous cost of producing such a hollow spectacle, when more insight could be had from many fan-fiction engagements with the book, I conclude that we are discussing the GREAT FOLLY of our times.

'The Guide to Stairs' is more like fan-scholarship than anything else, but it claims to be a media adaptation in and of itself - primarily textual. It is not intended to rival works of fan-fiction, it is intended to point out what has been overlooked by those who have directed our dominant vision of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth.
Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time… The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away. (Christopher Tolkien, Le Monde, 2012)
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Guardian of the Golden Wood
hi RoP watchers. the post above reflected a moment when i decided to declare to the world the real problem, which was not Old Lore, but rather the ridiculous 'scholarship' that the Lorists took as their authority combined with minds unable to see the facts of this sub-created world for the movies.

but to those who i have got to know better of late, i would like to say what the story of the Folly on the Hill really is. before i came back to the plaza to post i was, for a month or two, every now and again checking in on this sub-forum and reading some of the RoP discussion. (this was what prompted me to write Eldy, and eventually return to posting here). now, those who know something about my life at the moment may find this a bit hard to take, but i speak only the truth: i pitied you all.

And the you all is now smaller. @Boromir88 and @Winddancer - i have known all my nuplaza life. i have not seen either of these last months. and others. i felt like i was watching the final knife cut.

My story of the Folly on the Hill (inspired by Drifa's riddle, a Lore thread, and one of my children) is really just an even longer than usual Tldr Chrys Dives plaza post. it was a response to what i read of you all back then. so much good discussion! (i will read anything by @Eldy Dunami three times with increasing pleasure each read).

I just wanted to say to you all: the books are actually really good.
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

New Soul
Chrys: I have only a question... Is all you wrote for the subject stairs in hobbitland combined a book against the scholars above, another scholarly work in the making? You post also on a website of yourself I believe. But from what I read above, I sudden got an idea you would like to write a scholarly work to set matters right how they should be approached in Tolkien's works. I could be wrong with this thought and in that regard my apologies in advance about this idea.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!