Midwinter Masquerade

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion
Golden Boy

"He had better not disappoint, my lady, and indeed deliver on the promise!" Golden declared as he moved her into a rather complicated sequence again. "No matter how busy he might be, or what responsibilities he might have. It will not do to keep one such as yourself waiting in vain. Especially not considering your skills."

He laughed quietly at her questions. "Yes, I am dancing as much as I may - for despite how I perhaps made it sound, the opportunities are rather few and far in between, and are rarely as available as they are this evening. I am trying to make the most of it. As for trying to find out people's identities... I have not befriended many in the city. Or any, even. I do not think I would easily recognize a mere acquaintance. And I do believe my sister, whom I might be able to pick out if I wanted to, would prefer not to be found out. So I am making the best effort to indulge her, and not to try."

@Rillewen @Karis Ziranphel
The Butterfly

Butterfly shrugged one shoulder when Blossom said that Dragon hadn't just 'settled' to dance with her. "I did not get the impression he felt obligated to ask you for a dance," she countered Blossom thoughtfully. "He just seemed to genuinely want to." She smiled at the lady next to her, and gave Blossom a nod when she said she was thinking about people watching as well. That worked out nicely, then. Her attention returned to the dancing couples.

When she heard a voice in a familiar tone and accent just next to their table, asking to join them, the Butterfly told herself to only look up and away from the dancefloor slowly. The Fairy. And the Wolf. As she regarded the two, she first waited for Blossom to reply, but the latter placed the decision with her. Butterfly raised one shoulder, lightly, in a very feminine gesture to indicate she would be unbothered. "You may, if you wish," she answered in a Belfalasian accent. She offered them a faint smile. "Enjoy your meals."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen @Arnyn

Sir Fox

There was a brief pause before Lady Swan seemed to realize that he was waiting for her to try her drink first. It was only polite; ladies first, and all that. But soon she took a small sip, and declared that it was a lovely vintage. He smiled faintly, and gave a little nod, glad that she found it acceptable. The bartender was really to thank there, since Fox had very little to do with the selection, but he was glad that she liked it. His own drink was of a berry flavor, and quite good. Also quite safe for him, as he proved after taking a small sip.

Lady Swan's comment about their drink colors, was a little amusing. He grinned slightly. "Well, you asked for white," He reminded her with a little laugh. "If you'd like to be more original, I'm sure the bartender here could fix up something different for you?" He mentioned with a slightly teasing grin. "I've seen drinks with fruit in them, and..." He paused as she mentioned a toast. Right, of course, people did that. He thought swiftly, feeling like his mind was scrambling for something to say. "Indeed," He smiled at the lady. "A toast," He was still thinking swiftly as he partially raised his wineglass. Before he could think of anything to say, however, a new voice spoke nearby.

"The red is good, is it not?" Then the lady continued, addressing the Swan with a polite, "My lady. Are you enjoying your drink, as well?"

Fox realized that she must be speaking to them. Though he wasn't quite sure why. Turning slightly, he offered a polite smile to the lady in red. "It is," He answered her first inquiry with a polite smile and nod. "Quite good. And I see you seem to have enjoyed yours as well," He added, noting that her glass was nearly empty. "This Ball is truly wonderful, isn't it? The young lady and I were just toasting the occasion," He mentioned.

@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

He smiled at the description she gave of the fields of flowers, and mountains in the background, with forests. "It sounds lovely," He declared, as he enjoyed all such places. To have them all together sounded even nicer than to have one or the other.

When she asked him to describe where he lived, however, Dragon hesitated. How to even offer such a description? He considered for a moment as she asked whether there were fields or forests, marshes, or many inhabitants. A little smile lingered on his face and he found it somewhat amusing to reply in a way that would seem like a riddle, "Well, there is a little of everything, depending on certain factors," he answered thoughtfully. "Sometimes it seems there are hardly any inhabitants, and other times.. plenty. Yet, there are always a great many who dwell where I live." He grinned. Very dragon like, speaking in riddles, he thought.

"Perhaps if you ever do come north, you might find me, and I could show you around," He suggested, though he wasn't even sure how such an offer could be made a reality. It wouldn't be very easy to find him, and even so, how could he actually show the lady around such a wide, vast place, unless she wanted to make it a very lengthy trip? But it was fun to at least pretend it could be a possibility.

Teal Guy

He smiled, glad to hear that she did not regret coming. "Me either." he added. "It is big, though." He agreed. "But I don't mind it that much. And there are the Pelennor fields, not far away." he mentioned. "That helps, if I begin to feel homesick." He knew no fancy twirling moves like some of the other people, but he enjoyed being able to dance slowly along with Gilded as they turned about the dance floor.

When she spoke of having thought about remaining here, he blinked in surprise. "Really?" He asked, but listened thoughtfully as she spoke of her reasons why. He nodded slowly. "I can understand that," He added quietly. "I think.. I would miss home too much," he admitted. "While it is nice here, I.. would not like to leave Rohan forever. I would miss my grandmother, and it is too far away to go and visit her over the weekend, here." He shrugged slightly. "I would miss you if you stay, but.. if you're happier here," He paused, and smiled faintly. "You should stay where you are happy."

Seashell

Seashell grinned back at Rooster when he assured her he didn't mind the questions. "Well good, I'm glad," She smiled happily. "I'm afraid I'm not very good at that sort of thing," She added with a sigh. "I just didn't really know what else to do, I really need to find him but I'm afraid I'm not sure who is safe to talk to." She shrugged, and then nodded as he offered a few suggestions. She began adding things to her plate, taking his suggestions. She was quite hungry. "Fruit for sure," She agreed.

"So, you go to pubs pretty often, right?" She asked, since he'd said he didn't mind the questions. "How many of them do you know of that hire musicians?" That would probably help her narrow down her search, right? Because even if she couldn't find him here tonight, she could maybe go and check those places, tomorrow or something.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Captain of Tower

The Wolf
Thûllir thought for a moment at her request for a name while she narrowed her gaze at him with that half-smile. “His name is Cennais. He may have had other titles, but goes by that name.” It was the only one he had ever used for the now elderly inventor. He also remembered Kaylin’s promise to remember that name before his flight, and it brought a slight smile to his lips now.

Winged One’s suggestion to go join the table with Butterfly and Blossom both amused and pleased him, although he hoped it wouldn’t turn into an interrogation of him in turn. It was indeed an event for socializing, although he always felt more comfortable in small groups than crowds. Three was still small enough despite his being outnumbered. Giving a brief smile and tilting his head in a slight bow of agreement with her suggestion, Wolf followed her over to the table.

This time, instead of watching his companion in dark navy, his gaze rested on the ladies at the table that he had noticed a few times earlier. The one in pink and gray with blossoms and ribbons on her mask was unfamiliar entirely to him, and her mask did not obscure all that much of her face, unlike the lady in lilac and lavender who sat at table with her, with delicate lace and silver tracery all over, and delicate mesh over the eyes of her mask. When they reached the table, the Blossom clad replied first to the Winged One’s inquiry, with tones foreign and yet what seemed to him a northerly accent. He nodded his thanks to her and then tilted his head slightly to better see the Butterfly as she replied in turn. Interesting. She had turned her head with a slow nonchalance, and Thûllir noticed her accent that spoke of the shores of Belfalas. His lips lifted in a slight smile. “Thank you both. I hope you have been enjoying the evening thus far?”

Thûllir waited politely for the Winged One to choose a seat first and then took the remaining one, setting down his plate and smoothing his silver cravat before raising his glass of juice in a slight toast. “To a merry Midwinter.” The following sip of juice was sweet and refreshing with a hint of spices, but not cloying.
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image & Image
The Fairy & The Butterfly

She smiled at the two ladies and elegantly claimed a seat. "Thank you." Thûllir thanked them as well, opening the table to some small talk just before taking a seat himself. The Fairy raised her own glass in agreement with the man's toast and then took a sip from her water, enjoying it much more than the wine she'd had earlier.

Unable to join the toast, since her glass had run dry already, Butterfly merely inclined her head with a little smile. "Merry Midwinter." She regarded the Wolf's plate for a moment and then responded to his earlier question. "I believe I am enjoying the evening, yes. A drink, some conversation, a dance, a laugh, a bite to eat. What is not to enjoy?" She flicked a hand toward the bar. Was it in Red's direction? Butterfly then nodded toward the Fairy with a little smile, as well. "Surely you have enjoyed the same things, mister Wolf."

Meanwhile, the Fairy kept her expression smooth. "Does the food taste the way it looks?" she asked Blossom and Butterfly, mildly amused, before taking her first bite.

Butterfly's smile deepened slightly. "It is most excellent. To such a degree I could not stop myself from having a second serving, even." She watched the Fairy for a moment. "Your wings are lovely," she complimented her, trying to fight back the grin that wanted to form on her lips, and succeeding only by sheer force of will. She knew very well how much the Fairy disliked wearing them, and was not above a teasing comment or two.

"Why, thank you," the Fairy responded lightly.

It could not be seen through the mesh covering her eyes, but Butterfly narrowed her eyes at that. She'd hoped for some kind of grumble, or at least an awkward or annoyed twitch of the lips. Anything! She'd have to step it up a notch. "Almost like a fairy," she mused. "Or an angel, even."

The Fairy's fork slowed. "Hah," she managed, but then she recovered swiftly. "That is a generous take, miss Butterfly."

"You are most welcome," Butterfly said with a soft smile, returning her gaze to the dancing couples.

Fairy swallowed her bite and smiled. "A treat, to be sure," she agreed with the other woman's earlier assessment of the food. Her head turned to Blossom. "Might I assume by your accent that you are from... the Breelands, perhaps? Or is it no more than a ruse to fool your friends this evening?" she added with a quiet laugh.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Blossom

"I have sir, thank you," Blossom replied to the Wolf's comment that he hoped they had both been enjoying the evening so far. "And yourself as well, I hope?" She smiled politely as the other two joined the table. She smiled and raised of her glass of water along with the others, though it was nearly gone now. She finished off the last little bit before setting the glass down, empty. Perhaps later she would see about trying some juice or something.

As Fairy inquired about the food, Blossom nodded with slight enthusiasm. "Oh yes, it's delicious." She assured her. "Difficult not to go back for seconds right away," She admitted with a little grin. "But I will hold off for a bit, at least." She figured maybe in a little while, perhaps after another dance or just sitting around for a bit, she might go back for a few other items that were especially good.

Listening as Butterfly commented on the other's wings, Blossom leaned slightly to the side to try and get a look at them, herself. "Oh, that is very pretty," She added her own compliment. She couldn't help wondering if the wings might be bothersome on her back, especially now that she was sitting, but she didn't ask. When the lady spoke to her and asked about her accent, Blossom was quite surprised to hear her guess the exact location. "Indeed, that's right," She replied with evident surprise, then shook her head with a light laugh at the other possibility. "No, I don't think I could fake any sort of accent, and there is only one person here tonight who knows me at all," She explained. "But you seem to be familiar with my homeland? Enough to recognize the sound of one who hails from the region, anyway?" She asked, curious about this. "It's so far away, I didn't expect there would be anyone here that would be the least bit familiar with my accent."
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn
Amethyst
“I am sure he will turn up; I doubt he would want to suffer a constantly nagging and crying wife after for days on end,” Amethyst said and laughed merrily. While she made it sound that she was tended towards cutting down her own husband, she did not actually did not imagine acting so.

She made sure to gracefully execute the dance moves Golden set before her, her feet swift and light, ensuring no shuffling noises came from her feet.

“Even if you dance rarely, you have been able to keep up those skills,” Amethyst said smiling. “Suppose you do have friends in Ithilien at least? And… perhaps it takes a burden off you not to have to indulge in guessing who people are – you can simply enjoy the evening. Right?”

@Rillewen
Meadow
Meadow tilted her head slightly as she looked at Dragon and considered the description of his land that he gave.

“A little bit of everything? Then it sounds like a vast land with many options,” she concluded and smiled at him thoughtfully. “North. Is it true north, Sir Dragon? Where Rohan is? Or is it even further beyond?”

She entertained a thought of going very far away to see other lands, but then shook her head and expressed it out loud: “Sometimes I toy with the idea of going places, but then I would probably greatly miss my lovely corner with its flowers, so I doubt I would ever set out on far away travels.”

The Gilded
Gilded’s brown eyes were thoughtful as she looked at Teal when he questioned her wishes to stay.

“Well, at least you have your grandmother, perhaps other friends?” she said gently. “I have no one left really of people that I called my family. I think I could build my future here.” She paused for a while and sighed. “But I would surely miss you too if we ended up far from each other. I think… I consider you my friend. For reals.”

She flashed Teal a hearty grin now. “I don’t know yet. It has been pleasant here, but then again if I never returned, cavalry would label me a traitor. Technically I am on extended duty of sorts… I did give an oath of fealty and must not break it.”

Red Rooster
Rooster stuffed his mouth full with food as he listened to Seashell and then regarded her sincerely before swallowing down the last morsel so as not to speak with his mouth full and appear impolite.

“I will keep your concerns in secret,” he assured her quietly. “Is your friend in danger that you seek him so?”

He then looked around at the tables which offered seating. “Maybe you would sit down somewhere, Miss, so that you can have a better look at people? I think it would be easier when sitting in one place and not turning round and round on a dance floor,” he suggested, and then added: “Yeah, I do like to go out. Let me think a bit before I answer you on pubs. He is a musician then, not just liking music?”

Captain of Tower

The Wolf

Thûllir hummed noncommittally in response to Butterfly’s seemingly rhetorical question, with an ambivalent tip of his head when Blossom also expressed her hope that he had been enjoying himself. He had participated in each of those activities, although he enjoyed some more than others, and had seen both dance earlier. Did that mean Butterfly had been watching him as much as she had kept catching his eye through this first part of the evening? The gesture of her hand had him inspecting her bracelet with a brief glance from where he sat. She was the only one he had noticed that bore one on her upper arm to match with the one on her wrist. She also wore no necklace that he could see over the lace. To cover for his silence, he took another sip and then took their advice and tried the pastries he had chosen.

Hiding his smile with a bite of quiche when they segued into commentary on the Winged One’s chosen accessories, he sat back and watched the three as he chewed quietly. Butterfly almost seemed to be attempting to get a rise out of her with comments on fairies and angels, and he was amused at the brief exclamation that brought forth. Miss Butterfly. It appeared that they agreed on the impression the lilac dress gave, and yet he had the feeling both angelic wings and lacy butterflies were not the norm for these two if he was reading their tones and comments correctly, despite their demure appearances.

The conversation shifted to Blossom’s homeland as it was revealed she was indeed from Breeland as the Winged One guessed. That pricked his interest a moment, as he had slight suspicions about who she was but hadn’t been anywhere near certain. Hadn’t Arnyn been in the North for several years? The King and the northern rangers who had come to the city with him would know the accents of course, but they wouldn’t also be fluent in the accents of Belfalas. That, along with the closely similar shade of her hair to that of the Golden man near the bar had him taking another assessing look at the Winged One. Her costume was very good in conjunction with the mask, and he still couldn’t exactly recognize her despite his guesses. It may have been incongruous to the others sitting there, but he nodded slightly to himself. “You come from the North, and these two apparently from the South, yet you have each brought winds heralding spring to our frozen winter fields with your floating blossoms, butterflies, and magic wings.” Wolf’s comment came out smoothly despite the slight roughening brought by keeping the amusement out of his voice. “Perhaps we will see still more wonders in the morning, as there are dragons and hawks alike who may attempt flight. The Pelennor is excellent for flying after-all.” It was challenging to keep the smile off his lips, but he managed to retain a serious expression as he looked at Blossom first before slowly letting his gaze shift back to the one in Lilac.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image & Image

Fairy smiled at Blossom. "My pretty wings make it easy for me to travel," she noted drily but somehow agreeably at the same time. "To destinations both near and far. And I have an ear for accents." She tilted her head toward the Wolf, but she was still looking at Blossom. "This one - quite local. Miss Butterfly - Belfalas." She did look at the Wolf then. "And it seems I am not alone in noting accents," she commented after his assessment that Butterfly and she herself hailed from the southern fiefdoms. Apparently.

After the Wolf's comment about the Pelennor and flying, Butterfly slanted her head and rested her chin on the knuckled of her right hand, leaning onto the table in front of her lightly as she eyed the Wolf. It took considerable effort not to engage him about that. Thankfully, she could narrow her eyes and he would be none the wiser. It was enough. Just barely. "You might be in good company with miss Fairy here when it comes to accents, sir, but you are quite alone in your use of imagery, I am afraid," she noted. "I believe you might have found the only three ladies at the whole event who might have tired from such flowery and metaphorical speech already."

Fairy flashed a grin. "Though it should also be disclosed that sir Wolf was not all too excited about my own metaphors, earlier," she said casually. "He did not like me referring to him as a predator, for the mere implcation that this would reduce the lady he is attempting to find to mere prey." She shook her head. "I assured him I meant no such dishonour."

Butterfly's gaze rested on the Fairy for a moment, before moving on to the bar this time. "I am thirsty," Butterfly declared, her tone almost bored.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
@Rillewen

Night Sky Courtiers 2 and 3 – Bearded and Tallest
at the Bar

It was taking all of the bearded Night Sky’s focus to keep his taller kinsman from turning to observe the dancefloor. And whatever state their Starlit Lady might be engaged in there with her attendant. Either the husband would be outraged at the antics she was being subjected to or at the least he might be envious that he was not attending to his spouse personally. The crux of the matter was of course, he just wanted to see that she was happy. But they all did, that’s why they had come here this evening. The man’s ‘babysitter’ could not have even said himself how it was going, for he dared not glance in that direction either. His more articulate relative was not unpracticed in using company’s expressions as a reflection of what was occurring behind him.

The wine was good,” the elder admitted, with a grateful nod toward their nearby server. He was not used to partaking of wine as a rule, for one did not tend to come across a drink of such calibre in the climes that he frequented. And when the likes of this fair city had been his home, proper, he had been far too young to appreciate the taste. “You are not enjoying yours ?” he assumed, with a glance toward the still half full glass on show.

On the contrary,” the Belfalasian corrected him. “I am enjoying it without the urgency of succession.” He committed to another sip, and the well ingrained manners which the other could not care less to replicate.

My dear man, I have knowingly drunk from potential poisons faster than that !” amusement carried the other into a scoff, before the bearded guest risked turning, to draw both of their attentions unto a young lady who had come close to their company. It would have been improper for a man of his age to scrutinise the young miss overlong. Still he had grown accustomed himself to detecting certain observations, beyond her immaturity, in a moment.

Strawberry ? Am I right ?” he spoke up, and then indicated the young lady (Rosy)’s fruity drink. As though that was his real question. There was something about her which had ensured he could not pass on engaging, though it remained something that he could not quite put his finger on. “I know you,” he decided, rather boldly, at least halfway inviting her reaction which might confirm his suspicions. The woman’s hair was darker than he had expected and she was stood at leisure, rather than be about the habit he would suspect of his young friend in such an affluent crowd. She was also, he reflected, too tall to be that initial guess. And yet … although the accent wore a hint of the horselands, and he knew no lady of that realm, somehow that made him sure there was some memory there, but he was distracted before ever he could bother her much longer.

The Starlit Lady and Night Sky Courtier 1 - Youngest
Retiring from the Dancefloor, for refreshments at the Bar.

The Starlit Lady wore a smile which shamed all of her other dazzling adornments, and the tallest Night Sky at the Bar rose to greet her, as much from habit as his own guarded excitement. “My Lady,” he uttered, his hand returning the still not emptied wine glass to the counter, so that he could offer her his full attention.

My dear sir,” she fell in close beside him, and they two stood in some silent reunion a moment, as the younger Courtier who’d escorted her back, approached his bearded elder and they two grew uncomfortable in the intense silence which followed.

Would you two lovely people like something to drink ?” the bearded man enquired. To no apparent end. “Apparently the wine is .” he began, and finished as the lady picked up the abandoned wine and tested it’s charms on her tastebuds without ever turning to see the brown eyes widen with new mirth.

Everything is wonderful,” the lady prised her gaze reluctantly away from her husband, and laughed a little self-consciously before perusing their little group that was gathered there. “That was just what I needed, thankyou,” she assured him. “And thank you,” she placed one gloved hand in the palm of the youngest of their number, impressing the sentiment more keenly there. “I will never forget what you did for me this night.” Her brown eyes met his and held there, as her husband bridled his impatience with an ease born of much rehearsal.

Brown eyes flicked out of the thoughtful repose they had fallen to, as the shortest of the Night Sky Courtiers marvelled at the hand upon his own. He then returned the lady’s smile, a little too wholeheartedly. “Nor I,” he agreed.

Well .. I am going to …” the bearded man began and ended his next line of thought aloud, as the Starlit Lady and her husband surrendered to the draw of the dancefloor, without another word to warn of their intent. Holding back a reactionary laugh, the elder man remaining, turned to consider his younger equivalent, in their mutual abandonment. The mask may not have desguised the young man any more than any of their number, not to any who knew them very well. But the lack of runaway good humour, combined with a recent very restrained and almost archaic performance on the dancefloor, might have given greater cause to doubt his true identity.

Who is that ?” the shortest of their number questioned, albeit without making too clear who he might be referring to. Turning to face the bar, he almost instantly turned back again, to observe who the errant member of their group (Courtier number 4) was engaged in speaking to some further down the bar. Now that the tall Belfalasian was not blocking his view, the bearded courtier was also privy, suddenly, to the surprise as well. A slow smile lit his lantern jaw in contrast to the confusion which was reigning over his young kinsman.

Well .. well ..” the elder shook his head in some wonder. “Maybe I should go find out ?” he proposed, already readying to do just that.

No .. don’t,” the younger man suggested, and an exchange of identical brown eyes occurred. Which the elder broke away from first, choosing not to ask why they could not proceed to investigate. He was curious, for all that it seemed his young kinsman might be already quite overwhelmed of the evening.

Fine. But who knows what he’s ordering over there. You don’t think I should ..?

He is allowed one,” the reminder was served, calmly as though the youth was the elder in truth. In this particular matter of course, he was far more experienced than his bearded company. And yet he saw no need to explain that sometimes that one alcoholic drink, consumed early on, would help to break the ice on rather more nerve-wracking occasions. As a social dance might to a man with both beautiful company and only one leg.

I know you won’t partake of anything even remotely interesting at the bar, so why don’t we explore the buffet ?” was the next proposal offered up from his Bearded peer.

No thanks, I .. not hungry ..” was all that carried the young man away, abandoning the bearded Night Sky back into his own company.

I swear, you know, I don’t know any of the people I came here with tonight !” the elder man admitted, as though the pretty young thing close by would even care to hear him. With a shrug then, he too departed from where he’d been acclimitising, and set out to explore the evening on his own terms at last.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

@Rillewen

Night Sky Courtier 1 - Youngest,
locating Hawk and Snowflake at the further end of the bar.

It was not difficult to find his friends, for the amount of time they had collectively spent talking about the Masquerade, before the day had ever come. And now that he saw them in their fine flair of disguise, even the stunned state which the Night Sky had almost come to, found a grin. It did not last though, fading all the more as he recognised that the pair were sat nursing a glass each of what looked like .. pineapple drink.

Throwing back his head, the young man made about his way to join the pair of them. Emerging between the two, he glanced at each in turn before raising one eyebrow and leaning both elbows down on the bar itself.

Everybody having a good time, so far ?” he almost dared to ask.

Night Sky Courtier 2 - Bearded,
finding his way to the refreshments area, and Kitty

There were two bearded Courtiers of the Night Sky now in the room, but only one in the company of a beautiful woman, and in the other’s mind, that was an error which must be resolved. Not that he meant to invade his brother’s personal space or plans for the evening. He did not want to find himself locked out of his lodgings later that night. Also, he was hungry.

Thus far of the evening, he had been caught up in trying to make sure that the rest of his group were enjoying themselves. Since all without exception had elected to do this, without his escort any more, he was clearly liberated and felt duly justified in a job well done. He deserved something for him now to enjoy the evening, beyond amusement at their various attempts.

The Lady with Cat’s Ears had caught his attention earlier on, with her unusual headdress, let alone her decision to unconsciously wear a matching blend of colours to himself. Two fine reasons, as if he needed any, to seek out her opinion on the foodstuff available. Further more, she appeared of an age that he was better suited to engage with. She was not alone it seemed in choosing to sit in that region of the room, though she looked to be the only one sat on her own. That would not do at all.

Excuse me,” he sat down so that she could not ignore him, without being quite rude. The notion that he was himself being quite presumptious in settling down without waiting for invitation, was lost somewhere behind the want for company and consumables. “I am but a stranger to the likes of .. this ..” one hand gestured idly about the splendour of the room and all that it contained. “Can you recommend which vittles are so good that they have lured you away from the dancing ?"
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn @Rillewen

The Wolf
Tipping his head just a little in a silent nod, Thûllir acknowledged the Winged One’s comments about accents while keeping his eyes on the Lilac Butterfly and neatly eating the apple slices one at a time. She had leaned forward to apparently examine him after his comment about flying. Was that interest? Censure? It seemed the later, as she responded to what he had thought were highly amusing word pictures by stating that all three were tired of flowery words. Tired? Had her former companions so abused her ears that she spoke for them all in being tired of simple poetic compliments? His eyebrows rose behind the silver wolf mask as the Winged One offered up his own lack of appreciation of metaphor earlier. It seemed slightly strange to him, as it wasn’t quite a dig, but almost as if it was the type of information sharing often done between contacts in the game of intrigue. Wolf left off his musing as Butterfly’s immediate reaction was to look away toward the bar and declare her thirst slowly in a tone of great disinterest.

Wolf glanced down at her cup to confirm what he thought he had seen earlier. An empty glass that had held clear liquid. Water? Always a good choice after dancing and food. Blossom’s also sat empty and recently drained. His own glass still held some juice, but he left it by his now empty plate and rose to bow slightly to those at the table. He might be more comfortable as an observer, but he knew his role when it came to stated requests such as that by ladies in his presence. “What is your pleasure? I will happily retrieve it for any of you if you wish. More water? One of the fruit nectars perhaps, or a glass of sparkling wine?” Wolf’s tone was perfectly solicitous, but a slight gleam of mirth could be seen in his blue-grey eyes. “Or perhaps something with darker flavors would better suit? Red wine? Chocolate?”

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Blossom

It was interesting to hear that Fairy had been to her homeland, and therefore recognized the accent. She was curious about that, and wondered if it was possible she might have ever met the woman, but instead of asking, Blossom listened as she went on to declare where each of the other members of the table sounded as if they were from. Belfalas, she noted. She had never been there but had seen it on maps plenty of times.

"Flying?" Blossom then questioned, curious at the mention about the Pelennor being excellent for it, as if this were something done often. She wondered if this was something that people here in Gondor had learned to do, or if she had misunderstood some sort of metaphorical speech, which seemed so abundant here tonight. "The closest I have ever come to seeing a person fly, was swinging from a rope into the river to swim," She mentioned, "or jumping out of a tree." She added with a shake of her head, recalling how her daughter used to do that, as if the girl was actually trying to give her mother a panic attack. "Have the people here learned to fly, then?" She wondered, with a slightly uncertain glance around the table in case there was some joke going on she was unaware of.

She gave a little laugh when Butterfly mentioned that they were probably the three ladies in the place who were most weary of the flowery, metaphorical speech. "True... although, I think it all depends on how such words are spoken," She mentioned, a little amused. She glanced at Fairy when she spoke about Wolf, then smiled slightly toward him. "I have to say sir, you are by far the most polite and well-mannered wolf that I have ever encountered," She informed him with a little smile, thinking of times when real wolves had been troublesome near where she lived.

As if to prove his manners, the gentleman then stood up and offered to get her and Butterfly something to drink. She had not expected that, and took a glance at her glass, having half-forgotten that she had indeed emptied it. "Oh, thank you, that's very kind of you, sir," She answered in surprise. "If you're sure it isn't too much trouble, I had thought about getting some juice. I'm not even certain of the options available, really." She admitted.

@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

He tilted his head briefly as he considered how to answer her questions, then smiled. "You might say that I soar over a vast distance, indiscriminately," he answered. "Why should a dragon be restrained to one place only, when there is the wide world all about, in which to stretch his wings?" He grinned. "Rohan is but one of the places I have been known to visit, but also, places further north than that." He smiled and, after having taken a few minutes to get used to the dancing, he decided to try the twirl with Lady Meadow. With a little step back as he let go of her with the one hand, he moved the other to guide her through the twirl, before resuming the previous position.

He smiled at her words about how she would like to see other lands, but would probably not travel far. "Sometimes, I feel like I would rather stay in one place, and not travel so much," He admitted with a faint smile. "It must be quite a lovely place, if there are so many flowers as you speak of. Do you enjoy gardening, then, lady Meadow?"

Teal Guy

Listening to her speak about her family being gone, he nodded slightly. Yes, he had his grandmother. But other friends.. he almost laughed, but didn't. At the moment, all of his friends were here in Gondor, unless he counted some of the fellow healer apprentices he had become familiar with, back home. But he wasn't sure those really counted as friends, since they didn't ever hang out or anything.

He was quietly thoughtful as she spoke about how she would miss him if she stayed, and then worrying about the cavalry labeling her a traitor. He frowned, thinking about that a bit. "Perhaps, by the time your extended leave has ended, you will have made up your mind better." He suggested. "You have many months left to think about what you want to do." He shrugged. "And, if you do stay here, then I would suggest that you should come home, and officially resign. Then you would be free to relocate if you want." He suggested. "Seems better than just.. not returning, and leaving them wondering what became of you." he mentioned with a little smile.

"I would certainly miss you," he added quietly. But he didn't want to think of saddening things right now. "Perhaps, tomorrow, we ought to go for a ride and explore some. I'm sure Dusty and Sugar would enjoy the exercise." He suggested, trying to think of a more enjoyable topic. "How has Sugar been settling in, anyway?"

Seashell

Seashell gave him a small, grateful smile when he said he would keep the secret. "Thanks," She replied, then nodded with a more serious look. "Yes.. it's sort of complicated, and I need to find him soon." She let out a little sigh, then considered the suggestion of finding someplace to sit. "Maybe that would be easier," She decided after he pointed out the part about turning around and around.

Taking her plate, she moved toward one of the tables a bit further from others. "Yes," She smiled softly, at the question about her friend being a musician. "He's very good. He writes poems, songs.. he plays, sings.. he just really loves music. And he likes dancing, or, well, he taught me how and he seems to enjoy it." She laughed softly, recalling some nice memories of some of their time together. "But, hey, you don't have to stick with me, you know." She grinned at him as she set her plate down on the table she had chosen. "I appreciate the help, and I do like making new friends, but I'm sure you came here to mingle and dance with pretty girls, not help some girl you don't know find another guy," She mentioned teasingly.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image & Image

Fairy shook her head at Blossom's question. "No, we have not learned how to fly," she said with a soft smile. "How wondrous would that be, though? No - it merely appears that sir Wolf has attempted to in the past, but has abandoned his attempts after unfavourable results. Perhaps he will share the tale..."

But Butterfly's statement about thirst interjected, and the Fairy suppressed a laugh as she looked down at her plate. The way Butterfly had said the words... that tone. Even if it had been meant as no more than a statement, it was in truth somewhere between a request and a demand, was it not? Her smile grew when Thûllir rose from his seat with a small bow to them. He was very polite, to the point of gallantry. Fairy pointedly sipped her own glass, still rather full, thus serving him a wordless reply that she was not in need of any assistance.

Butterfly regarded the Wolf when he stood and bowed to them. How well-mannered - just as Blossom had already stated. Well, no surprise there. He sounded just the right kind of interested in their well-being as he offered to retrieve whatever drinks they might prefer. Blossom seemed to agree, but there was some surprise on the lady's part. Butterfly allowed herself a hint of a smile as she regarded the Wolf and as Blossom asked for juice. "Very kind indeed," she agreed. And for a moment the need to maybe continue to put Thûllir on the wrong track by ordering something ridiculous like sparkling wine, warred with her wish to make her one drink really count by ordering something with... as the Wolf had called it, a darker flavour. Liquor was impossible. That would give her away in a heartbeat. Butterfly continued to regard the Wolf as she deliberated, and part of her mind wondered if he might be getting somewhat uncomfortable under her gaze.

"Wine would be appreciated, sir," Butterfly finally replied. "And I dare leave the coloring and vintage up to you. Men generally seem to have more skill with such things," she mused, committing to one of the possible things a Belfalasian lady might say.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion
Golden Boy

He nodded graciously at her compliment on keeping up with his skills. "Friends, to be sure. Could you imagine me as a recluse?" he wondered. He thought not!

Golden then returned to her earlier comment, for it tied in with her very last question. "I cannot imagine you constantly nagging and crying, my Lady," he spoke openly. "Not even to your husband," Golden added with a brief laugh as they spun through the dance. "Perhaps especially not to your husband," he corrected thoughtfully. "If my guess is correct. For I must admit, Lady Amethyst - it is difficult to resist asking you outright. And if my guess turns out to be true, I might not be the first man to end up in a puddle at your feet - but surely I will be the first man to disintegrate as such in the Tavern of the Seven Stars upon this fine evening."

"Thus, you show your wisdom in choosing not to end my uncertainty. For whatever will I do if my guess is incorrect? I could not deny the likihood of some disappointment in such a scenario." He had them spinning around each other for two steps of eight. "And yet, does it all really matter, in the end? You have blessed me with the opportunity for a proper dance indeed, and regardless of your identity, that is what I will relish the most."
The music ended, and Golden graciously slowed them to a stop, before releasing her, stepping back and offering a low bow. "The experience has been exquisite, my Lady. Might I escort you off the dance floor, so you may then choose to awe the rest of the guests in attendance?"

@Rillewen @Lantaelen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

"I am indeed," the Lady in Red agreed. "I believe they may have only stocked the best wine the Reunited Kingdom has to offer. Which, I am sure, everyone drinking it will appreciate. Unless of course they are not very used to the drinking of such beverages," she mused. "Are the two of you?" she asked the Fox and the Swan lightly. "Used to wine?"

Her gaze rested for a moment, on the Fox' glass. Red wine... For it was red, and it was in the appropriate glass. And it was what she had heard him order. However... did the shade of red look just slightly off when the light hit it a certain way? It some special vintage, perhaps. Or she could be altogether too hopeful to have found a prospective candidate for... her business. She should be careful. After all, already one innocent young man's life had been snuffed out because of her eagerness to complete the contract.

She smiled at them both when the Fox verbalized his good impression of the event. "Rightly so. I do hope I was not interrupting the toast, or anything else." Her gaze rested on the Swan a bit longer now. A young thing she was, Red noted mentally. And quite focused on the young man, as well. The Swan would very likely not appreciate the interruption. But when had Red even been impressed by dainty young ladies who were used to getting their way? "If I am, I apologize... And you may feel free to leave me to this barstool..." She intentionally looked down at the top of the bar then, shrugging one shoulder. "I can handle being alone," she said more quietly, before seemingly forcing herself to look back up and offer the Fox and the Swan a shaky smile.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Rosy Pink

She had not seated herself too close to the two men, as to seem as if she were trying to join their discussion or else eavesdrop. But, she was, in fact, close enough to hear them speaking. Close enough to ascertain what she had already suspected; that the younger of the two had not the voice she was listening for this evening. And, seeing as the other was bearded and obviously older, he was also not the one she hoped to find. But she did recognize his voice easily enough; she smiled softly to herself as she sipped her drink. The beard had thrown her off slightly, at first, but there was no mistaking that odd accent. She couldn't even say what languages had blended into it to make it the way it was, but it was certainly distinctive. Rosy pink knew then, who the two nearest her were, and by process of elimination, she also knew who the other two who matched them were.

She resisted the urge to glance toward the dance floor; unknowingly, the two men a few stools down from her were also resisting that same urge, though each for their own reasons. While she focused on taking only small sips of her drink, she was inwardly amused by the conversation nearby. Not that she was purposely eavesdropping, but they were talking loud enough that she could hardly help it. She was just about to pick out a slice of strawberry from her drink, when she heard the most familiar of the two voices seem to suddenly speak more directly toward her.

“Strawberry? Am I right?”

Glancing up and over at him, Rosy blinked at him, then looked down at her drink and smiled softly as she looked back up. "Indeed, sir," She replied, in her own accent. "It's very good, though I could not tell you what it is called," She smiled a little apologetically at that. Hearing him declare that he knew her, however, was surprising. While inwardly, her heart sank at the fact that the man must have recognized her so easily, she put forth her best effort not to let that disappointment show. Instead, she merely tilted her head slightly, in a quizzical manner. "Do you?" She inquired with surprise, while returning a look back at him as if she were trying very hard to think if she had ever seen him before. "I'm sorry, perhaps I look like someone else?" She gave a little shake of her head, looking somewhat puzzled, as if she did not recognize him at all. "The masks can be deceptive, I suppose." She offered an explanation to suggest that he might be mistaken.

But soon after, the man's attention was distracted away from her, much to her relief. And the cause for it made it all the more challenging for her to maintain her composure. The one she had been hoping to find tonight.. he had finished the dance with the other lady, finally! She was tempted to smile at the young man who had just joined his matching companions, but instead, Rosy drew in a slow, measured breath and turned back to sipping her strawberry drink. Reminding herself that she was, supposedly, not familiar with any of them, she pretended not to be listening to the four as they talked among themselves.

In a very short amount of time, however, half of the group that all matched one another had split from the other half.

“Who is that ?”

That was his voice, she knew easily enough without having to look. She wanted to look over, to find out who he was inquiring about, wondering whether he might have noticed her sitting only a few seats away from where they were congregated. Still, she refrained from looking, though it was hard. And then, the following words began to reveal that he was looking elsewhere. She stole a furtive glance in his direction, and saw that no, he was looking somewhere else entirely. As she watched, the young man set off on a mission of his own, in the opposite direction, without ever seeming to take any notice of her at all. As her gaze returned down to her drink, she only half-heard the comment made by the one remaining member of that group. She assumed he had spoken mainly to himself, anyway, and then he left as well.

Left all alone now, Rosy pink let out a quiet sigh and rested one elbow on the counter, propping her chin on her palm. When the nearby bartender spoke to her, she glanced up with a faint smile, speaking quietly with him for a moment, until he had to go and do something else. She took a little sip of her drink and then returned to her former pose, while making sure that her hand didn't rub away any of the painted design on her face.

@Ercassie
|
Hawk & Snowflake

They were in the midst of reminiscing about some silly incident from years past, when another, more welcome intruder appeared between them. Hawk, quite pleased with himself for having finally coaxed at least a little smile out of Snowflake, grinned at the new arrival. "So far, I think. Yes?" he glanced at Snowflake, almost as if daring her to give a different answer.

"Well enough," She answered, shrugging lightly. "I know you have," She added, recalling the smile on his face which had been as bright as a sun. "Taking a break from all that dancing?" She motioned toward the empty seats on either side of her and Hawk, inviting him to join them.

"Or maybe he's come over to ask you for a dance," Hawk pointed out the possibility to her with a shrug. "Surprised none of these other fellows have had the nerve to come ask her, actually." He mentioned to the other young man. "Maybe they've seen me sitting with her and are afraid I'll peck their eyes out." He joked, in reference to his mask.

Snowflake just rolled her eyes. "Sure, that's why," She replied with a little shake of her head, though not without amusement. "Seriously though," She addressed their other companion, "How was your dance?" She asked with a small smile, knowing how greatly he had been looking forward to this. She was fully expecting a long gush of him raving about how wonderful the dance had been with the lady, and she was prepared for such a thing. At least it might distract her from other things.

@Ercassie

Lady Cat

Brown eyes watched the various people twirling and dancing on the floor, while she slowly sipped her wine. She did not have a longing or jealous look about her as she watched them, but rather more like curiosity. As the song was nearly at an end, the lady's attention was abruptly drawn toward a man who unexpectedly took a seat at her table. Blinking as she pulled her gaze away from the dancers, she turned to see who had decided to be so bold as to join her at her table.

She was not upset at the 'intrusion', however. As the man in similar colors to her own spoke, and explained his unfamiliarity, her head tilted very slightly with intrigue, noting the unusual accent. She'd heard various accents being spoken all around her this evening, and yet this one was rather different the others. There was something about it, however, that piqued her curiosity. "Good evening, sir." She greeted him, a faint smile curling at the corners of her mouth. Her own speech sounded as if she could be from somewhere local to the area.

"I've only sampled a few of the delicious things available," She answered the question about food, mildly amused at how he had worded his question. Was he leading up to asking for a dance? She wasn't quite sure, but she was curious and decided to find out. "and, while everything I tried was quite delicious, I am not actually eating anything at the moment." She pointed out, then slightly raised her glass, half filled with a lightly pink-colored wine, as if to show what she did have, instead of food. "Merely enjoying some of the excellent wine, while I await anyone daring enough to ask a dance of me," She added with a lightly teasing sound to her voice. "Will it be you, sir?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn
Amethyst
“You are right, I cannot imagine you living all alone, you are very pleasantly sociable to be a proper hermit,” Amethyst replied, “Though I can also assume that perhaps forests of Ithilien can be sufficient for a short while, even without a company of good people to share it with.”

Her grey eyes twinkled with amusement when Golden further played with the guess on her identity, and she laughed merrily. “Oh, I will not make any statements then. And I also beg you not to become a puddle because I am not sure I would know how to turn a puddle back into a man,” she said enjoying the last few steps of the dance.

She lowered herself into a curtsey in return for his bow. “Thank you for the dance, Sir Golden of Ithilien,” she said, smiling. “Such vigorous dancing has made me thirst for some refreshing drink if you do not mind to escort me to the bar.”

@Rillewen
Meadow
“Would the Dragon be satisfied with building a steadfast home and staying within its confines if he likes to stretch his wings,” Meadow asked with a soft laugh, as she considered that it would surely take so much time just to travel from one place to another if Dragon’s travels took him so far, probably much more than he spent on staying in any one place. Unless her perceptions were wrong on this account.

Seizing the opportunity for a twirl that Dragon provided her with, Meadow executed it with as much perfection as she knew how, her skirt of her dress swirling around her legs.

“Oh, it is definitely a lovely place, Lossarnach. Have your travels ever taken you there, Sir Dragon,” she said, once again facing him. “I do love tending to the garden; and it has a good selection of carefully tended flowers in addition to edible crops.”

The Gilded
“Yes, luckily there is still a plenty of time to think,” Gilded agreed with Teal. “Might be well worth it not to worry about rather distant things just yet. And yeah… I should probably not just disappear; consequences would be heavy if I returned after.”

She went silent for a little while, and then looked at him with hope in her eyes. “Ah, you have time to go riding tomorrow? Suppose our horses would indeed enjoy an outing, so would I,” she said, looked at some distant point over Teal’s shoulder for a moment and then back at him.

“Perhaps I might see if there’s anywhere in Pelennor I could settle; the inn is pretty expensive, my own lodging and Sugar’s. Not very good for a long-term stay…” she wondered. “But then again I’m not sure if simply going up to farmsteads to ask is an option.”

Red Rooster

Rooster
managed to clear some more food off his plate while he followed Seashell to the table she had chosen. He waited for her to sit down first, and then carefully put his plate on the table and tried to sit without going into a lazy slouch.

“Ahhh, I wonder if he will show his liking for the music somehow if he is here, so you can identify him,” he said, when his mouth was again empty enough to speak without spitting some of the food on his graceful companion.

When he all but set him free, Rooster flashed her a bright grin. “I think I will entertain you for a bit while the food lasts, even if the tavern is filled with beautiful girls to dance with,” he said, not in an immediate haste to leave just yet. “I wish I could ask you for your name, but that would defeat the whole purpose of wearing a mask, I guess. Miss… Seashell?”

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn @Rillewen

The Wolf
Wolf’s eyebrows rose once more behind his mask, but he remained silent as Blossom mentioned that she was thinking of having juice after calling him a polite and well mannered wolf. He knew she meant well, but it almost sounded like he was housebroken. He remembered seeing a surprising number of real wolves at his first ball, but brought his thoughts swiftly back to the present. “Juice it is then, and I’ll ask the Bartender to surprise us unless you have a preference that I should ask for.”

He turned his attention to Butterfly then, and was further amused at her watching silence after she reiterated that it was kind of him to retrieve drinks for them. It seemed to be taking her a long time to deliberate over either her options or whether she trusted him to retrieve the drinks. Was it his offer to get something darker? He knew Kaylin’s preferences but others had different tastes, and his offer did rather clash with the butterfly persona.

Eventually she spoke to request wine and left the color and vintage up to him because men seemed to have more skill in such things. The phrase almost startled an incredulous huff out of him, but he managed to keep it to a flashing smile instead as he nodded in acknowledgement of her request for wine. Wolf had listened with amusement earlier as Blossom had questioned whether everyone had learned to fly, followed by the Winged One’s refutation of that idea to claim he had merely attempted to do so and that perhaps he could share the story. Now he parted with the words, “Lady Blossom, I did in fact fly once. Not just fly, but soar far over the Pelennor, but most in our city have never seen or experienced such flight.” He held up a hand, his gaze flicking between the seated ladies while remaining most aware of the one in the lilac dress. “I will return shortly with juice and wine, and then you may ask any questions you wish. Excuse me.” Spreading his dark-blue clad arms in a very slight bow, he stepped back and turned to walk quickly toward the bar, threading his way between and around other patrons.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Golden Boy

"I thank you, my lady, for preserving my state of being," he smiled graciously. "I will endeavour not to transform into said puddle." Her curtsey was impeccable, possessed of a grace to which even few of the most practiced noblewomen could lay claim. "Gladly, Lady Amethyst," he agreed, bowing his head from the neck and turning to stand beside her and offer her his arm. He walked her over to the bar, and on the way he tried to assess whether there were any ladies in its proximity who looked like they would also like to dance. There seemed to only be one lady sitting alone at the moment (Rosy Pink), although she looked quite young. Arriving at the bar, Golden called for the bartender's attention. When the latter approached, Golden bowed to Lady Amethyst again, though not as low as he had right after the dance. "I hope you may continue to revel in the evening. It is so well organized," he said his goodbye, with no small amount of amusement. "Thank you for the dance, my lady. I enjoyed it immensely."

He ventured away from the Lady, whom he thought might be his Queen, with a strange kind of jitters left in his abdomen. Could it be possible? Had he actually danced with Queen Arwen Undomiel? Shaking his head slightly, he tried to litterally shake it off. He was probably mistaken, and the lady likely laughing internally at his foolishness.

The young lady who was sitting alone (Rosy Pink) caught his attention again, and her bearing drew forth some concern. For she was sitting with an elbow onto the bar, her chin resting on her hand, looking so downcast that it was a downright shame. He usually would not have dared an approach, since she seemed at least a decade his junior, and perhaps just flirting with the line of adulthood. However...

"No lady, however young or old, should be sitting alone for very long at a function such as this," he said, his tone friendly. When she turned to him, Golden smiled lightly and offer her a slight bow. "Especially not a lady who has clearly put in a lot of thought and effort into her costume. I particularly like the painted flowers." His smile lingered, unwavering, as he held out a hand to her. "If you can manage not to think of me as presumptious for daring to ask you - might I take you out for a dance?" His head tilted toward the dancefloor. "It might lift your spirit?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

He considered the question, and how to respond while keeping up the dragon thing, then grinned slightly. "Was there not a dragon who took up residence in the lonely mountain for over a century?" He asked with a little amusement. "I would say, if there was something which a dragon deems a treasure, he would be content to stay close to it for as long as he can." He shrugged. "Still, I suppose stretching one's wings is necessary from time to time, for one reason or another."

He smiled and wondered what she was thinking of all this talk, and also found it amusing himself to talk as if he were really a dragon. He smiled, seeing that she seemed to have enjoyed the twirl, and made a mental note to try and do another in a moment. But he didn't want to do so many that the lady became dizzy. "Alas, no, my lady," he answered her question. "I have never ventured to Lossarnach, but it sounds as if I have been missing out tremendously. I shall have to endeavor to remedy that at some point soon, even if it means dragging a wet blanket along the whole way," He added with an amused grin at his wording, and afterward hoped that the term was as common here as where he came from... otherwise the lady might be very confused about his reference to a wet blanket.

Teal Guy

He was glad to hear that she would not just.. not return at all. He would not like for her to get into any trouble, and also didn't want to have to be the one to tell her superior that she'd decided to stay. Especially since technically, she was probably supposed to ensure he had a safe journey back, too. But he was glad to move on from that topic, regardless.

"Yes, I should have time," He nodded with a smile in answer to her question about going for a ride. "Perhaps we might see if our local friends have any suggestions on some good places to go?" There was also the possibility of seeing if those same friends would like to join them, but at the same time, he wouldn't mind if she would rather not invite anyone else.

He thought for a moment as she mentioned the problem of lodging; for both herself and her horse. "True," he had not quite anticipated the expense of having to board his horse for the whole year, and Dusty was far more used to being free to roam the fields, back home. "Well," he mentioned, "If you're thinking of going around the farmsteads in the Pelennor, perhaps you ought to start with the one where our friend lives?" He suggested. "She's got her horse there, after all, and I happen to know that she really likes horses," He added with a little grin. He had worked with this particular friend a lot since coming to the city, after all, and had had plenty of opportunities to chat with her.

Seashell

She started eating after taking a seat, and listened to the young man's thoughts about her friend maybe showing his liking for music here. She considered that while she chewed, glancing toward the band of musicians. She had, of course, taken a good long look at each of them shortly after arriving, and had confirmed to herself that none of them were her friend. Those who looked near to the right age weren't playing the right instruments, and out of the couple of them playing the correct instrument, one was obviously too old, while the other was female, and also too old to be her friend. But that didn't mean that her friend didn't know any of them, right? She pondered that for a moment as she finished chewing and swallowed.

The young man's decision to stay with her for at least while the food lasted was a minor surprise, and she laughed lightly. "Well, how courteous," She declared. She halfway wondered if he had other reasons for choosing to stay, or if he was really that considerate about not leaving her to sit alone. But, deciding not to dwell on that too long, she smiled when he mentioned how he'd like to ask her name, and instead settled on Miss Seashell. "Sure, that works," She decided, then paused.

"Orrr," She considered briefly, having to think back to recall the word that her friend had once used to speak about some particular seashells, "you could call me Miss Ulumúri, but that might be a little more difficult to pronounce," She shrugged, but smiled. If her friend was here, and heard such a name, it might possibly attract his attention, but she also understood if the guy didn't want to bother with a more difficult name since he was likely going to wander off after he finished eating.

@Arnyn

Rosy Pink

She was slightly frowning at her drink, which was nearly gone by now. Almost as if it had betrayed her by disappearing from her glass. Having stolen a glance down the length of the bar, as well as she could with a few others that had positioned themselves at various intervals, she saw where Night Sky Courtier 1 had gone. She recognized the glimpse she got of a pale blue dress even from here, and understood, at least, what had drawn the young man down that way. It didn't help her disappointment though.

Her gaze had returned to the glass, focused on a lone strawberry slice which clung to the side of it. All the others had vanished by now, and she was debating finishing off the last bit of the pink beverage and moving on to someplace else, when an unexpected voice spoke so near that she looked up in surprise to realize the man was speaking to her. Hazel eyes blinked as she focused on him, swiftly taking in the person before her. Clean-shaven, blond hair in a neat ponytail. He was both taller and older than the one she had been overlooked by, yet younger than the one who had spoken to her a moment ago. His voice was friendly-sounding, and definitely not one that she recognized. That made her hesitate briefly, out of some sense of caution, but at the same time, the fact she did not recognize it was a bit of a reassurance, too.

But her smile widened a tiny bit at the compliment to the effort put into her outfit. 'More than you know,' she thought to herself with very mild amusement, for there had been far more to this than what could be seen by the average observer... Practicing how to walk in heels and various other things had been much more difficult than finding what to wear. But the other comment was what made her smile softly, as he mentioned he particularly liked the face paint she wore. "Thank you," She answered. "But, I can't take credit for the artwork," She admitted. "A friend of mine did that, and I have sworn to keep her identity secret. But I will pass on the compliment when I have an opportunity," She added with a small smile.

It was a bit more of a surprise to hear him asking if she would mind him asking for a dance with her. She had hoped someone else would ask, but.. this the first gentleman here to have asked her to dance at all. And the added mention of lifting her spirits made her smile grow faintly. Had it been so obvious, she wondered? She hadn't meant to look so glum. "Thank you, sir." She would like to dance, and since no one else had yet asked, she had been beginning to wonder if anyone would at all. "I would love to," She answered, reaching to accept the offered hand, but hesitated. "If.. you're sure you wouldn't rather dance with one of the other ladies?" She added, uncertain, and giving the man a chance to change his mind. She had seen him walk up to the bar with a very beautiful lady, and she couldn't quite imagine why he would leave the extremely lovely Lady Amethyst, to come over and ask her to dance, instead.

@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Blossom

Though Fairy assured her that the flying was not some sort of skill which the folks in these parts had developed, sir Wolf's words were surprising as he declared he had not merely flown, but soared over the Pelennor. The lady was somewhat amazed to hear this, trying to imagine how something like that could be accomplished. She couldn't help but wonder how busy the healers in this city might be, if very many people attempted such things. It sounded dangerous to her, but perhaps there was some way of going about it that was quite safe. Though, when he said that very few had either seen or experienced such a thing, she decided that perhaps the healers here were not kept so busy with people trying to be birds.

"It would be fascinating to hear the tale," She mentioned, but gave a nod of understanding when he asked to refrain from questions until he had returned. "Of course," She answered with a little smile. "And no, I meant to say that I have no preference, I am fine with a surprise." She added before the gentleman left to get the drinks. Partly because she really didn't know the options, and was not sure what sort of juices would be available in this region.

Turning to the other two ladies once he had gone, she admitted, "I'm really not used to things like this. It's far more elegant and.. well, fancy.. than any social events they have back home," She glanced around, indicating the exquisitely decorated venue, and the event itself. She looked curiously toward Fairy. "You said you have been to my homeland? I know it's far.. simpler than here, rustic perhaps.. but I hope that you had a pleasant stay, at least?" She mentioned with a genuine smile.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

High Warden of Tower
Amethyst
Having walked back to the bar with Golden, Amethyst gave him a hearty smile as he then made his way to a lone young lady sitting at the bar. She was quite sure that most ladies would not become permanent wallflowers and would dance at least once considering his approach of dancing with as many as he could.

She looked around to see that most people at the bar were engaged in conversations, and she did not wish to intrude, so she ordered herself some water with some berries to supplement the taste, and turned around to observe the dancers.

@Rillewen
Meadow
“Perhaps you are right,” Meadow agreed. “And even dragons might want a home. You should tell me that story again about the dragon of the lonely mountain and remind me of it, for I have forgotten.”

“Lossarnach is not that far away, a mere day’s travel, half a day if you have a very swift horse, or… if you fly,” she urged Dragon to consider a visit. “Perhaps you would find those blooming meadows pretty to look at if you came at the right time.”

After a short moment she asked with a laugh: “Have you come with a wet blanket?”

The Gilded
“We could ask, yes… If there is anything special that we should see while out exploring,” Gilded said, prepared in her mind to take the necessary steps to execute the plan for tomorrow.

She looked down a bit just to make sure her feet would not land on top of Teal’s, and then said: “Perhaps a good idea to ask Eryn, but I am not sure I know where exactly she lives, and I haven’t had a chance to meet her too often, if at all.”

In fact, Gilded was not sure what she had spent the time on, but it had been passing so quickly. “Hmm,” she murmured thoughtfully but did not speak of it out loud.

Red Rooster
“Ulumúri!” Rooster repeated slowly as if tasting the name, and then offered her a broad smile. “It sounds lovely! And very like… fancy. Like a name a princess would have.”

Then he ate in silence for a while and observed people dancing and picking their sustenance at the tables, partly simply watching and partly trying to guess whether any of the people could be Seashell’s friend.

“But do you manage to enjoy the evening as well, even though you are on the search mission?” he asked curiously.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image & Image

Butterfly took note of the flash of the Wolf's smile with no more or no less scrutiny than before, but resisted an amused smile when he corrected the Fairy about the flying he was claiming to have done. Soar. Butterfly rolled her eyes, knowing it'd be private. She had no wishes to hear all about that again. The memory was quite enough. She watched the Wolf with narrowed eyes as he bowed. Trying to get her to react with his whole flying business. After all of these years. Butterfly tilted her chin up thoughtfully.

The Fairy was regarding Butterfly quietly while Blossom spoke to them about how elegant the event was, especially compared to what she was used to back home. Turning her gaze to Blossom, Fairy smiled. "Yes, I have," she now spoke more freely, with Thûllir gone. "For an extended period of time. Forgive me, but part of the reason I was looking forward to this evening was to remain unidentified by a specific group of people. A group I know you do not belong to, but of which mister Wolf is most definitely a member. Since I am now in solely your company and that of Miss Butterfly, I can speak more freely. I traveled the North for a few years. Some days and weeks were more pleasant than others, of course... and I have a tendency of trying to make myself useful, so it definitely was not all leisure." The Fairy sighed lightly, as if she wanted to indicate that was simply how things were for her. "Nothing in all the lands of Men quite compares to the splendour Gondor can turn to when it wishes," the Fairy said thoughtfully. "But that does not mean Gondorians cannot appreciate any of the other ways or cultures. We too have many differences within the confines of our borders... Right?" The Fairy asked Butterfly.

The latter nodded. "Quite. I can assure you not all social gatherings are like this," Butterfly almost laughed. "This, in fact, is rather exceptional. And, contrary to how we may act," she emphasized, "neither miss Fairy nor I are quite in our element with this level of... magnificence. Don't mention it to the Wolf, though. For all he should know for now, all this is second nature to us." She flashed Butterfly a quick smile. "The Wolf is looking for a lady," she reminded Blossom. "And you're looking at her. But let's not cue him in on that just yet, hm? I want to see how he plans on drawing me out. If he thinks the story of his flight is going to do it, he's sorely mistaken."

@Rillewen
Golden Boy

He kept his hand out, despite her hesitation. "I am sure, young lady. Of all the ladies I can see right now, I would like to dance with you the most. With no more than the mere hope that it might change the tenor of your evening for the better, or at least lend a small start to it." His smile did not falter as he shook his head slightly. "I love to dance," he told her. "for it brings me joy. Perhaps it might do the same for you?"

@Karis Ziranphel
Macardil

His smile grew into a grin when she said she would not protest. Good. He brought her a bit closer to him, unable to resist - though it should be said their bodies were still not touching in other places than her hand in his, his other hand on her back and her hand on his shoulder, part of her arm leaning on his. "I'm not opposed to that distraction," he mumbled, amused. Not if he was the reason for it.

When she mentioned the possibility of Abrazimir attending, Macardil hummed. "I have been looking even less than you, it seems, Lady Himhathol. Perhaps I can convince myself to pay enough attention to the other guests sooner or later, with the chance of helping you in your assessment." His smile almost turned boyish. "Though I make no promises, Ziran."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
@Pele Alarion

King Cheddar
”Well, my lady, you are forgiven, for any past and present and future teasing.” He grinned at her, before giving a laugh. She was right, it was not everyday people got to dress and make merry like this. Some really put forth the effort. Others were perhaps more shy or nervous. But the attempt was commendable and deserving of recognition.

He saw a change in Black Lip’s expression too, when speaking of duty and responsibility. He thought then that perhaps she might be a soldier or warrior of some kind herself. There was a familiarity and distance in her eyes that he had seen all too well, in many faces, including his own.

”And for many evenings to follow, we can pray.” He agreed with her statement. ”With the darkness behind, we can look forward to the light. I hope I’ve assisted you in some management of that tonight, my lady.” He said, continuing to lead her through the dance, happy to have the control and initiative. ”But I must say, in this particular case, the darkness of your lips is a look I’ve not seen very much. Or at all. And I must also say it is very remarkable.” He shot her another compliment and grin.

@Rillewen @Arnyn

Lady Swan
Her laugh was easy and carefree, utterly swept away by the witty remarks and reposes of Sir Fox. She was trying to think of a smart and perhaps humorous toast to propose, one that could return upon Sir Fox the humour he had given her. But it was difficult to conjure up even a topic in her mind when so much of her focus was on the young man’s words, appearance, actions, everything. So much so that she didn’t notice that they had a guest to their conversation, as a mysterious woman nearby voiced her own appreciation of the taste of the red, while inquiring about Lady Swan’s own drink.

”The drink is excellent ma’am, thank you for asking. Not very used to myself, however. I hope yours is enjoyable as well.” She replied back graciously at first, looking to smile at Sir Fox as he complimented the Ball and mentioned they were about to toast. Red apologized, looking like she felt terrible for intruding but…it was a party, was it not? They could not just shun people. Not like Lady Swan had any claim with her current dance partner. Or he over her. Well, it would be rude not to include this stranger then!

Lady Swan raised her own cup of white between the other two, inviting them to do the same. ”Will you not join us for a toast, ma’am?” She asked the Red woman courteously. ”Perhaps the Lady needs another drink, Sir Fox.” Swan then suggested to Sir Fox. Maybe the same vintage he was having if it was so good.

”I hope you will be steady enough for another dance after that, Sir Fox.” She then added in a personal aside to her current dance partner, in the language they had been conversing in prior. But she didn’t want the new woman to feel left out and Swan looked over to her. The Lady in red was quite marvelous herself, Swan thought as well after even a cursory examination. ”May I add ma’am, your outfit is magnificent and gorgeous! Whoever tailored that did you great honour.” She praised, a little jealous of it’s presentation, wishing she could wear something like that. But her father would have some stern things to say about such a notion. In the meanwhile, she held her cup and waited to see if Red might join them or not for a brief toast.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

He grinned. "Perhaps I will, if I have a chance." He answered her suggestion about the story. "I suspect it might be difficult to tell while we are dancing, however," he added regretfully. He also wasn't sure whether it would be suitable to tell that tale here, at the ball. But he wasn't sure whether he would be able to talk to this lady another time. It was a bit of a conundrum.

Hearing that Lossarnach was not that far, he smiled. "Well, flying may be swifter," he answered with a little laugh, "But I do also have a swift horse." he grinned. His horse was indeed swift, and would be eager for some better exercise, after having to trail along behind the cart the whole way here, at such a slow pace. "I would enjoy coming to see your lovely land, after hearing you speak of it." He smiled.

When she laughed and asked about the 'wet blanket' he had spoken of, he let out a laugh of his own. "Alas, yes... otherwise known as my brother." He admitted with a little grin. "He's so dull, he would not even consider coming here tonight, no matter how much I tried to persuade him." He shook his head in despair. "Missing out on all the fun, but it's his loss, right?" He smiled, then decided it was time for another twirl, recalling she had smiled and seemed to enjoy it the other time.

Teal Guy

"I could ask for you?" He offered. "I've seen her plenty of times, and worked with her at the houses." He shrugged. "I'd have to wait until tomorrow at least, though. I'm not sure where she is tonight," he cast a glance around briefly. He thought she had been intending to come, but he had not seen any sign of her, nor anyone else that was familiar, except for the young lady he was dancing with.

Which reminded him, they had been dancing together a while now, and he suddenly worried that she might be weary of him, or his company. Perhaps she'd rather seek out another partner. Although he was content to stick with her, he didn't want to keep her from moving on to find another, if that was her wish. Especially since he did not have the skills of some of the others he saw around them. He hesitated briefly before asking, "Are you hungry or thirsty or anything? Or, just want to take a break, or.. keep dancing?"

Seashell

She smiled in mild amusement at the way he declared that the word was like the name of a princess. "I don't know about that," She answered with a shrug, smiling. "My friend told me once about these great, white conch shells that the Vala Ulmo uses to signal his approach to the shores, like some sort of warning trumpet or something. I think I've got the name right.. but that's what he said they were called. Someone, a servant to Ulmo, crafted them for him, or something. They were like, magical." She grinned. "I don't know how common that story is, but I remember that one, because he told it to me, and he really liked that story."

After speaking, she took a couple more bites of her food while they both looked around at the people for a while. When he spoke again, asking if she was enjoying the evening anyway, she smiled and swallowed. "Yes, it's really lovely.. so.. wow." She couldn't quite find the right word for it all. "I'm glad to have come, I just.. well, I could enjoy it a lot more if I knew he was safe. And, well, it'd be great to spend the evening with him, rather than looking for him," She shrugged. "But it's nice talking with you too. I wouldn't mind staying friends after this, except I'm not sure how, exactly." She laughed. "What about you though?" She added, tilting her head curiously. "I hope I've not ruined your enjoyment with my personal mission?" She asked with a little teasing to her tone.

@Arnyn

Rosy Pink

Her smile widened somewhat to hear that the man was really genuine about asking her to dance. "Alright then," She agreed more cheerily, and held up a finger to ask that he wait a second. Taking a quick moment to finish off the last little bit of her drink, which was only about one swallow, she accepted the held-out hand and hopped down from the stool.. carefully, due to the unfamiliar sort of shoes she had on.

"I'm not sure how much I like dancing," She admitted. "I've not had very much practice." She thought it only fair to warn him that she was not any expert, and yet she was very glad to have finally been asked by someone. She came close to mentioning how much she'd enjoyed dancing at the last event she attended, but then decided maybe it was best to avoid bringing that up, in case it made it more likely for anyone to figure out who she was.

@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Blossom

As she began wondering if she may have, perhaps, met Fairy before, if she had stayed for 'an extended period' in the Breelands, she dismissed that thought as she listened to the woman explain about how she hoped to remain anonymous from those who knew her. "Oh, I see," She nodded, then listened as she explained about having traveled in the north. Turning back toward Butterfly as Fairy brought her more into the conversation, Blossom listened as they explained a bit. "Ahh... well, I will keep your secret as well as I can," She assured her with a smile. "I hope my curiosity hasn't spoiled anything," She added, with slight concern. "Should I not have asked about the flight story?"

@Lantaelen @Arnyn

Sir Fox

"It does seem that way," He agreed with the red lady's comment about them having stocked only the best wine. He let Lady Swan answer for herself, as to whether she was used to wine or not, while he swiftly thought of how to reply, himself. He was given a few extra moments, as Lady Swan suggested that the other lady might want a refill of her drink. He glanced at Swan, then the other lady. "Would you like your glass refilled, ma'am?" He inquired, so he would know whether to hail the bartender to refill the lady's glass, or not. He didn't want to presume that she would want more, after all. When she had replied with an affirmative answer, he signaled to get the bartender's attention, and asked him politely to bring the lady some more wine, of whatever she'd had before, unless she specified that she'd prefer something else.

"As for me," He glanced at Swan with a smile, "You needn't worry about me being unsteady." He answered her concern, before switching back to common, to answer the other lady's earlier inquiry, "I'm familiar enough with wine... I can handle more than one glass of this, easily." He added with a soft smile, and shrugged as if this was no big deal. As if he drank more than one glass of this sort of thing all the time. Which, some people were capable of doing without being too unsteady, he knew.

As the lady in red expressed her hope that she had not interrupted their toast, Fox smiled politely and shook his head while Swan was speaking to invite her to join their toast. She had, technically, but he would not point that out. That would not be polite. "Of course, you're welcome to join us, no need for you to sit all alone." he agreed with Swan as he raised his glass with Swan's. Although he suspected that she was not likely to be alone for long. "To a magically mysterious evening," He grinned, thinking how fun all the mysteriousness was, having all the masks and secret identities going on. "I hope both of you ladies have a wonderful evening." He added with a sincere smile.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image & Image

"No, no," Butterfly said with a smug little grin. "Asking about it was fine. I do not enjoy the memory of him crashing to the ground, I'll admit. And I'd wager neither does he. But he enjoyed the flight while it lasted. And I dare say he also enjoyed the fact I came rushing out to him like a love-smitten kitten," she almost grumbled. "He can tell the tale as he wishes. I wonder if he'll embellish anything to try and get a response." She rolled back her shoulders just a bit more. "He will get nothing," she promised herself out loud.

Fairy smiled, her own plate now empty as well. "Do not worry, lady Blossom. You have not spoiled anything. I might look into removing myself from your little game, however," she said, turning her head just so it was clear she was looking at Butterfly. "I do not enjoy being in the middle."

Butterfly clacked her tongue. "Oh, come on."

Fairy grinned whilst shaking her head. "Not for a minute longer than I absolutely have to."

Butterfly sighed lightly. "Well I can't ask him to dance. That would give me away in a heartbeat."

The Fairy slanted her head. "Blossom and I can always leave the table with some excuse or other."

"Like what?" Butterfly asked.

"Like... Maybe I know the lady in blue and purple at the bar, and I want to verify if my suspicion is correct. And maybe lady Blossom wants to stretch her legs and decides to join me." She looked at the lady sitting next to her questioningly.

Butterfly regarded the Fairy for a moment. "He'll almost feel obligated to ask me if we're alone," she muttered, seemingly displeased.

"He was alone with me and did not ask."

"You made sure you two were alone for the shortest time span imaginable!" Butterfly chided.

"Well... Yes."

Butterfly made a small gesture with her hand. "Do as you wish, I cannot stop you. Clearly. But we should refrain from talking like this much longer. He will soon return." Hopefully.

@Rillewen
Golden Boy

He bowed slightly when she took his hand and his expression turned to mock surprise when she said she did not know how much she liked dancing. "Oh no," he said thoughtfully, smiling in a friendly manner as she hopped off the stool. "That will not do at all! A young lady should at least have enough dancing experience to decide whether or not she enjoys it! For if you do, then you should seek it out more," he said, clearly convinced of the importance of the matter. "It lifts the spirits like little else, miss." He gave her a sidelong look as they approached the dancefloor. "Even when your day has been nothing but one disappointment after the other."

Having found a place for them, Golden faced the young lady and raised their hands out to one side while she put her hand on his shoulder and he put his own hand on a safe place on her back. "Your feet move," he continued, as he stepped them forward into the dance, guiding her along. "And your mood moves along with it." His smile grew into a little grin. "Onward and upward!" He turned them both around in a lazy circle. "Not too much thinking," he advised her. "Just feel out your partner's cues." Guiding her back to and along the more basic steps, since she'd mentioned not having much experience and given the fact he did not want to scare her away from learning more about dancing, he took a second look at her fact paint.

"Are your painted roses wild flowers from the fields or the home-grown variant, m'lady?" he asked, trying to look for something to call her. "I am assuming you will not be sharing your name," he explained. "So I may be looking for a different way to address you." His eyes smiled at her through the mask as he guided her through another full circle using the same basic steps the whole time.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Blossom

She nodded slightly in relief to hear that she had not messed anything up by asking about the flight story, and then listened with curiosity as Butterfly spoke of him having crashed, and so on. That part did not sound like a pleasant memory, but she hoped the soaring had been worth it for Sir Wolf, at least. Smiling faintly, she was more amused as Butterfly declared that he would get nothing out of her.

The following part of the conversation was mainly between the other two ladies, but she continued feeling amused as she listened, and decided she felt more comfortable with them both, hearing them speak more like their real selves. Hearing the suggestion that she and Fairy might both find an excuse to leave the group, she nodded, showing her willingness to go along with the plan. "Who knows, perhaps my Dragon friend will come by and ask for a dance, by then." She added that into the possible scenarios, and shrugged. "Unless you have objections to us leaving you?" She added to Butterfly, uncertain since it had sounded as if she were not thrilled about her and Fairy leaving just yet.

@Arnyn

Rosy Pink

She smiled slightly to hear him commending dancing so highly, recalling how much fun it had been the one time she had danced.. but that had been a more 'fun' type of dancing, and probably not really proper dance steps at all. Not that she'd cared, really. But she looked at him curiously when he mentioned 'one disappointment after another', as if he somehow knew. Had it been so obvious on her face, or was he just guessing, or was it coincidental? She couldn't have said for sure. She cast a swift glance back toward the bar, toward the trio seated at the far end, but they, especially the one she'd hoped to have noticed her, were occupied still. Just as quickly, she returned her gaze to smile up at the friendly guy who had asked her to dance. "I have found dancing nice enough, the very few times I have tried it," She mentioned, in agreement with what he'd said.

Upon reaching the dance floor, she tried not to feel nervous. She'd had a quick basic lesson in how to dance for this sort of event, and a handful of additional practice sessions after that, in the past few weeks. So, she remembered those basics well enough. Her hand went on the gentleman's shoulder, while the other was held in his hand, and she nodded as he reminded her to feel out the cues, and not to do too much thinking about it. The stranger was about the same height as the young man she had practiced with those few times, so at least there was not much height difference to throw her off.

As they began to turn on the floor, her smile did grow a bit more as the stranger's cheery mood seemed contagious. The question about her roses made her briefly puzzled, however. Until he explained his reason for asking. "Oh.. um," She wasn't entirely sure what he meant by that and had to think for a moment. Then, caught herself, as she realized she'd nearly forgotten to keep up the accent she had been maintaining thus far. "I suppose they would be from the fields, sir." She decided with a grin, amused and curious what sort of name he might come up with. "I haven't thought about what to call you, or anyone else," She realized, as the only person she'd really talked to at all this evening was the girl in the forest-y outfit.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image & Image

Butterfly hummed thoughtfully. "That's true, maybe he will," she said about Blossom's Dragon friend. He had been saying he'd want to dance with Blossom earlier. She shrugged at Blossom's question. "The Wolf is rather observant. And some flimsy excuse to remove yourself from the table would likely seem suspicious." Butterfly flashed Fairy a grin. "And I do not know about our new friend here, but you, Lady Fairy, are a terrible liar."

"Thank you," the Fairy said with a smile.

Butterfly smiled back, with a little nod. "We will see how it all plays out, I suppose," she said more quietly.

@Rillewen
Golden Boy

He didn't notice the lack of the Rohirric accent for that small moment with two monosyllabic interjections. "Hmm," he said thoughtfully when she stated her claim to the fields. When she admitting not having thought of how to address people, Golden let out a brief laugh. "Anything goes, Miss! From 'blond dolt' to 'golden star of Ithilien', apparently." He made a face, before a broad grin mastered what was visible of his face. "I might actually prefer the former," he admitted.

"How about Miss Wildflower?" he asked, already seeming to have more or less made up his mind. "Of course, if you were to agree to some silliness, that would really make such a name stick," he said with a casual shrug. "Do you like to spin?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Rosy Pink Wildflower

A brief laugh was her response to his comment about 'blond dolt', though she doubted she would actually call him that since it sounded a bit insulting to him. But her attention was more grabbed by the other name he had mentioned, rather intrigued to hear a mention of Ithilien. "Why would you prefer the former, sir?" She wondered with a little laugh. "I prefer anything to do with Ithilien. And stars!" She admitted, growing more curious about the friendly stranger. Was he from that wonderful land of forest, then? She couldn't help looking at him a bit more curiously as she wondered about that. Or maybe he'd only like to make people think that, like her using a fake accent. The possibility was worth thinking about, anyway.

As the man suggested Wildflower for her 'title' of the evening, she smiled. "I have no objection to that," She declared. "But I am curious, what would you have said if I'd chosen 'home grown', instead?" She smiled at the suggestion of silliness, and that smile turned into a grin as he mentioned spinning. "I do, actually, yes!" She had concluded some months ago that spinning was quite fun, though she had not really anticipated there being much spinning involved in the dancing this evening.

(edit: trying to fix image link)
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn @Rillewen

The Wolf

Thûllir’s quick step and long legs quickly brought him to his destination at the bar, and he paused briefly as he realized the open space that he could step up to was near the red Ember of a lady that he had danced with earlier. His gaze flicked to the two she was conversing with, a swan-like young lady with a white feather from the southlands on her mask, and the red haired young man clad as a fox that he had noticed dancing previously. His eyes narrowed, but he stepped up to the bar anyway and motioned to the bartender. Wolf couldn’t help overhearing the lady’s sad statement about being alone and the subsequent invitation to join the young pair in raising a toast to something or other.

One of the bartenders was swift in responding, and Wolf returned his attention to ordering. “Two drinks please. One a juice of some sort…perhaps peach or passionfruit, but she said she was open to surprises, so I’ll let you decide on something good depending on what you have on hand. Secondly, a spiced dark red wine from Lossarnach please. Not anything overly dry, but no more than subtle sweetness.” The bartender grinned at being given clear directions but otherwise free-rein with making the drinks. “I know the one. Just a moment, sir, and I will have them ready for you.”

Wolf looked around a little while he waited, not wanting to intrude on any conversations or delay his errand, but curious about who else was there. There was a group of younger folks not far off, a darkly clad but gilded couple, and the elegant lady in blue and purple that he had spoken to soon after arriving. He dipped his head towards her with a smile, but was quite pleased when the bartender called his attention back with a quiet, “Here you go, sir.” “Ah, excellent. Thank you very much.” Wolf slid a coin to the man to show his appreciation for the speedy and accurate service before lifting the fluted glasses and turning from the bar to almost dance his way back across the room as he took the most direct route instead of skirting the dancefloor. Weaving between whirling couples with a glass in each hand, he deftly avoided any collisions and made it safely across the floor.

“Your drinks as promised, Ladies.” Wolf gave a grinning half-bow as he presented the glasses and placed the respective glasses in front of Lady Blossom and Lady Butterfly, a swirled peach and pink juice in the first that carried a lightly sweet fragrance, and a full-bodied deep red wine in the second that hinted of spices. Resuming his seat after a glance at the ladies, who had seemed more relaxed than earlier, he lifted his own glass for a sip. “To the King and his lovely Queen for providing an excellent evening with talent at table, bar, and orchestra.” Having live music of good quality was a treat that never got old. It had him wanting to whirl across the floor again, but he could also enjoy sitting, listening, and sharing joy in the music.

Ziranphel

Ziran laughed quietly at the free and charming smile that Macardil gave her when he said he could make no promises regarding paying attention to others enough to figure out who they were. It brought her joy to see that, for tonight at least, he was not on guard despite the formality of his posture as they danced. There was a carefree and youthful quality to his smile that she had rarely seen in public and treasured in private. It also amused her that despite his easygoing sociable nature, he seemed to think he was keeping her back from socializing. She knew part of it was that they were here in Minas Tirith instead of Belfalas, and he was truly relaxing and enjoying the dances. Ziran also felt much more freedom here, both because it was their home city and, well, because she was now his wife and knew the security of his commitment. But it didn’t leave her any more inclined to seek others out for discussion than before their engagement at Midsummer when he had pointed out her avoidance of the same.

“I think part of the fun of this evening is that many feel the freedom of being unknown. Many may know who we are, but I feel no need to draw you from your distraction to examine them in turn.” Laughing affection threaded through her tone as she spoke. It was enough to experience the joyful magic of the dance as one tune slipped into the next, sometimes faster and sometimes slow and dreamy.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen @Lantaelen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

Red smiled at Lady Swan's suggestion of a toast. "You have a good eye," Red complimented the young lady when the latter noted she might need a new drink, which in turn prompted the Fox to ask her if she would like her glass refilled. Red said she would, and he took charge of making it happen.
When the Swan spoke to the Fox in Sindarin, Red did hear the full sentence, but she did not speak the language enough to understand it as a whole. Yet she knew a few words, such as 'dance' and 'sir', and could therefore imagine a few options. She could not make much of the Fox's answer, however.

The Swan's compliment about her dress was well phrased, and Red could recognize noble breeding when she encountered it. Whoever else would speak of 'tailoring' and 'honour' when it came to mere clothes? "I could give you the tailor's information, if you like?" she suggested, amused by the idea of how the Swan's parents mights respond if their angelic little girl were to appear on some function or other wearing a similar dress. A dress that, while expensive and well made, just escaped the term 'respectable' because of the way it accented each and every curve, along with it's vivid color.

Raising her newly filled glass along with her two younger companions, Red's expression was perfectly friendly and polite. "Hear, hear," she agreed pleasantly with the Fox's toast. "I hope the same for you," she agreed, before sipping her wine. "Do you two know each other?" she inquired of them both, "Or perhaps you are not certain, with the masks and the outfits?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Lantaelen

Black Lips
“Does it mean that I have received permission to proceed with more of it since future teasing is forgiven as well,” Black Lips asked, holding back a laugh that threatened to escape while she effortlessly followed his guiding of the dance steps.

“I am not sure too many other evenings would be so light-hearted, but perhaps once in a while,” she allowed; and no matter what other evenings would bring, she had decided that light-heartedness of this one would not be spoiled by any heavy cares. “Tonight though, yes. I am glad for your assistance in keeping the joy flowing.”

When King Cheddar commented on her lips, she laughed softly and responded: “That darkness is only an addition to tonight’s outfit, a bit out of ordinary and a bit of fun.” She surely hoped that she would not be stuck with those dark lips, or hair, for much longer than necessary – it would not do to show up like that in everyday life.

“You would not want to experiment and try to tint yours black, right?” she asked, teasing him yet again.

@Rillewen
Meadow
“Ah yes, the story would probably last much longer than any dance, even the longest,” Meadow mused and supposed that perhaps she should not continue pushing for the story.

“The land is still beautiful this time of year,” she said hearing that Dragon had a good horse and could visit. “Only you might not find that many flowers in bloom. You would have to wait for spring then. But the beauty is still there!”

“Ah, you have a brother!” she exclaimed. “Of that sort. True enough – his own fault if he comes all this way and does not enjoy the good that comes with it one bit.” That said she was all too willing to enjoy it herself, in the form of a twirl.

The Gilded
Gilded’s eyes looked at Teal hopefully when he suggested to take on something like a role of a mediator. “I would be so glad if you did ask,” she said, though trying not to sound too eager so that he would not feel pressured to go right off in search of Eryn. “But tonight is for fun, not for business. Even if she is here.”

She then considered the options he laid before her and after a moment said: “Dancing is quite great, though perhaps a sip of something refreshing might come in handy in a while. Have you tried any of the drinks already?”

Red Rooster
“Why, special conch shells, magical… fit for a princess I’d say,” Rooster claimed, and once again repeated softly to himself as if to make sure he remembered: “Ulumúri.”

He ate some more as he listened to Seashell speak and then glanced at her sideways.

“I’m sure he’s safe if he is indeed here. Whatever could happen with people just having fun, and the guards positioned in strategic locations. But I hope you will come across him,” he commented, and then grinned. “Your mission doesn’t ruin anything. Unless you decide to send me in search of your friend and talk to everyone here to find out who they are. Heh… and it might be tricky for us to recognise each other after this, yes.”

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

"I'm sure there is more than only the land and flowers which are beautiful, in that place," He answered thoughtfully, smiling at her and what he could see of her face. "And yes, I have no doubt that the beauty is still there.. well, except perhaps for tonight, when it is here." He added with a little grin. When she replied about his brother, he laughed lightly. "Yes, alas.. 'of that sort' indeed." He nodded. "You almost speak as if you have some experience with brothers who are like that?" he added, though, curious about whether she might have a brother of her own. Could it be that he was not the only one with a boring brother who didn't like to do anything fun?

He was amused inwardly, though, thinking how much his brother had missed out on this evening, and he could hardly wait to tell his brother how very wrong he had been about one thing in particular; Saying he wouldn't be able to tell if the girls were pretty because of their masks? He couldn't help a little grin as he resumed the former dancing position, at the conclusion of her twirl. "I would not mind visiting that place, even in the winter," he added, continuing on to the prior topic. "Where I come from, there's usually a lot more snow during the winter months, so there is hardly anything still green and growing by the time winter comes along." He explained with a little smile. "It's very different here. I like it."

Teal Guy

"Of course," he answered with a smile, as she said she would be glad if he would ask. "I'll probably see her tomorrow or so. No problem," He had helped the other apprentice healer with something, so he couldn't think of any reason why she would not be willing to help him in return. Even if it was technically for Gilded, instead. He was glad, however, that she did not ask him to try and locate Eryn this very evening, since he had not yet seen her anywhere, and had no idea whether she was even here.

As she decided she would like to continue dancing, he smiled, glad that she had shared the same preference as his own. "Only some water," he answered her other question. "And got a little teasing for it," He added with a little eye-roll, but was smiling. "I am curious what other options they might have. Perhaps, if you want to, we could go over for a drink when we tire of dancing?" He suggested.

Seashell

Looking at him with some amusement, she thought it seemed that he very much liked the sound of that word. And to think of her as a princess. That was almost more amusing, though she decided not to correct him on it. She smiled faintly while she ate a bit more of her food, though kept glancing at every person who passed by, especially any guys who seemed about the right age.

Glancing over at Rooster when he spoke again, pointing out how safe it was here, she shrugged one shoulder and nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure you're right." She answered, deciding not to go into any further detail. He did seem nice, and she did feel less inclined to think he was any danger to her friend, but she also didn't want to mention anything that might concern him and make his evening less pleasant. Her friend was her concern, not his, after all.

The mention about how it might be hard to recognize each other after this, though, made her grin. "Oh, I dunno.." She leaned her elbow on the table and looked at him scrutinizingly for a moment, with her chin in her palm. "I think, if you frequent those pubs as much as you said, maybe I'd run into you at some point, if I'm still trying to find my friend." She grinned a little teasingly. "And I didn't try to disguise myself very much, in the hopes that he'd recognize me... so I figure you'd have to be pretty bad at recognizing anyone, if you couldn't recognize me later just because I'm not in a mask. Or else really drunk, I guess," She added with a shrug. "So, who knows, maybe I'll see you again sometime, some other day." Especially if she was still looking for her friend after tonight.

@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Blossom

Hearing Butterfly accuse Fairy of being a terrible liar, Blossom couldn't help a little grin when Fairy replied with gratitude for the comment. "Well, I don't really know if I am or not, to be honest," Blossom replied thoughtfully. "I've gotten quite good at telling if other people are lying, but I haven't really had any need to try and lie to anyone in.. many years," She admitted with a little shrug.

Not long after, she spotted Sir Wolf returning... cutting across the dance floor, she noticed with slight amusement, and handed her a glass of pastel swirled colors, while lady Butterfly received a glass of red wine. "Thank you very much, sir." Blossom replied sincerely as she accepted the intriguing drink. Having never seen a drink with two colors swirled together before, she was quite curious what the flavor would be, but waited to take a sip until the gentleman had concluded with his toast to the king and queen. "Excellent indeed," She agreed quietly, still feeling a bit awed by the extraordinary event.

@Lantaelen @Arnyn

Sir Fox

After taking another sip of his drink, Fox glanced briefly from Swan to Red as they spoke, one on either side of him, about dresses and tailors. He was not really very familiar with that sort of topic, personally, and had very little to offer. But he did sort of feel like he should add one thing, at least. "For what it's worth, I think that Lady Swan's tailor did an outstanding job with her own lovely attire." He mentioned with a little shrug, and smiled at Swan slightly. "Not that my opinion really counts for much, of course." He added, and took another sip of his drink.

While he wasn't really looking for anything more than a few dances this evening, he couldn't help thinking that lady Swan looked prettier the way she was dressed, and less.. well, something he couldn't put into words, exactly. And besides, it only seemed fair if the lady in red was going to have a compliment given to her about her dress, that lady Swan ought to have one, too.

He glanced at Red when she asked whether the two of them knew each other. "Oh, no, ma'am." He answered with a little smile. "Not in the slightest, at least.. not as far as I am aware," he glanced over at Swan curiously, as if suddenly unsure. "Have you ever been to Linhir, my lady?" He asked Swan. "If so, perhaps our paths could have crossed as some point without realizing it?" He very much doubted it, but figured this might help with keeping his identity mysterious.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image & Image

Butterfly shrugged. "Lying feels terrible. But if you can find a way to shut that out - it is only acting." She grinned at Blossom. "I wonder," she drawled, "whether you could spot a proper lie of mine. You say you are pretty good at sniffing out lies?"

Fairy smiled into her glass. "Lady Blossom, you would have to be very good to catch Miss Butterfly in a lie." Lowering her glass, she smiled. "Not that I have known her to lie without good reason," she complimented. Indeed, she was rather thankful for the Butterfly's skills and knowledge in this regard, considering the very specific help a certain someone had needed.

Butterfly followed Blossom's gaze to the dancefloor, where the Wolf was weaving his way through dancing couples, back toward their table. Butterfly snorted, but there was a hint of a smile on her lips. "Show off..." she mumbled, clearly amused. And clearly joking. She definitely hoped he'd be wanting to show off later, too.
By the time the Wolf had returned to the table, Butterfly's expression had been wiped, and she'd adopted a reserved look even as she dipped her head in gratitude at the drink which had been retrieved. She raised her glass at his toast. "To Queen Arwen and King Elessar." When her lips touched the wine, and she tasted the depth of the vintage and the spices, her eyes narrowed briefly. One of the advantages of the mesh over her eyes was that she could stare at someone and still remain unseen. She lowered the drink. "Not what I would have expected you to choose on behalf of a lady of Belfalas. Do you enjoy this sort of wine, sir Wolf?"

Fairy had lifted her glass briefly as well, taking a sip of her water after the toast to their monarchs, the food, the drinks and the music. She wondered how long she had best wait before excusing herself. Would excusing herself too soon seem like they had agreed on some sort of ploy in Thûllir's absence? That would be amusing - since Butterfly in fact wanted them to stay a while longer. However, Fairy had a bit of trouble understanding why that was, exactly. And so, once she had drained her glass, she turned it around on the table, to pensively comment: "Does anyone know the lady in purple, at the bar?" She slanted her head. "There's something... familiar about her. Though I cannot see any of my friends behind the mask. I think I might try to obtain a closer look. See if a better visual rings any bells. She smiled at Butterfly and Blossom, then looked up to smile at the Wolf as she rose slowly from her seat. "If you will all excuse me?"

@Rillewen
Golden Boy

"Golden Star of Ithilien sounds much loftier than who I actually am," he laughed, amused. "I am no 'star' in any respect - and while stars are pretty, I prefer the light and heat of the sun. The Ithilien part, I do approve of," he clarified. "I am very fond of my home, and even at a night such as this would not endeavour to claim I live anywhere else! Have you ever been?" he asked her, the lights of the candles reflecting in his light brown eyes.

"Miss Wildflower it is, then!" Golden smiled broadly, and shrugged at her question. "I have no idea. I wouldn't think anyone would have said 'home grown'," he admitted, grinning now. "After all, wildflowers possess a far greater beauty." And since Miss Wildflower said she liked spinning, Golden twirled her around not once, not twice, but three times in a row before stepping back into the dance with her. "Like that?" he asked, still grinning.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
@Pele Alarion

King Cheddar
”Well,” he answered with a sly grin, ”we’ll judge each circumstance of teasing on a case by case basis.” He chuckled, half a warning, half a dare, for Black Lips to continue her playful jests, if she wished. He was happy to hear yet another beautiful lady was feeling joyous because of his actions. Much like his selfless duty to realm and King, he felt a measure of confidence at that. Though, her next comment about her lips, and wondering if he might prefer to try, had that confidence dropping as fast as any rock thrown into the ocean. He quirked an eyebrow in question and amusement.

”I’m sure that would be very much out of the ordinary. And plenty of fun. …for others. Not for me, I would reckon.” He flashed his grin again, giving a laugh. He gave her one more twirl, hearing the final notes to this particular song and thus the end of this first dance. But he could see, with the colouring on her lips, and perhaps her hair as well, that Black Lips had taken great care to conceal her true identity. All apart of the fun, right? She could have been anyone.

As the song ended, he brought Black Lips before him and took her hand in one of his and bowed quickly to plant a kiss to it’s top. ”It has been a wonderful dance, my Lady. I hope the remainder of your evening excels whatever small joy I may have brought you for these moments. Though, before I continue to dance the night away, I am returning to the tables for a drink. Perhaps I may escort you there if you are heading that way…?”
@Rillewen @Arnyn

Lady Swan
She looked over at Sir Fox with a slightly inquisitive look, when he promised to stay steady. ”Mhm.” She hummed rather drily, though her eyes held the gleam of a playful challenge, in that she was going to hold him to that standard he had exclaimed for himself. The Lady in Red did consent to having a drink and a toast with them, before offering up the tailor who made her wonderful dress. Swan knew her parents would never approve but…she would not remain under their control forever. One day she would be free of their standards. And hopefully placed under a less restrictive set.

She gave a nod to the offer of the tailor’s information. It’s a name she could stick away in her mind for later. Sir Fox praised the outfit Swan was already wearing, which caused her to blush and smile, but yes…what did he really know? Fabric, styling, presentation, contours, colour schemes, men seemed to have little understanding of these things when it came to fashion. Well, at least her brother and father did.

Red joined them for a toast and Sir Fox lifted his cup in praise of the wonderful, magical evening. ”Hear, hear,” Swan added, after Red said so, and drank about a half of her white wine and felt that was…more than enough for her little figure. She couldn’t help though but continue to look across to Red. The woman was…quite a figure. So confident and alluring. Swan was taking notes. Red then inquired if Sir Fox and Swan knew one another. Swan felt like…she had always known this man. In reality it was just her affinity with foxes and this young man seemed to embody it all.

”You could say I’m a friend and ally to all foxes, wherever they may be.” She added in herself, after Sir Fox gave a brief answer whether the two dance partners knew one another. She looked at him curiously. So, he was from Linhir? ”I’ve never been to Linhir. But no, we have not met before, as you think I would remember such a charming and skillful dancer as my Sir Fox. Have you been to Linhir, ma’am?” Swan asked, looking to Red. A cultured woman like her, she must be from Minas Tirith or Pelargir, she guessed. Though, Swan remembered the game and wasn’t going to give up where she hailed from, though it was probably evident by the nickname she was given. She came from Dol Amroth, or near there.

A whole song had started and was almost ending, in the time she and Sir Fox had come aside for a drink. She glanced back to the dance floor, feeling herself getting a little angsty, even being so bold as to slip her hand back around Sir Fox’s arm and bicep, a silent plea to return thither for some more dancing.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn @Rillewen

The Wolf

Wolf Thûllir smiled when Blossom praised the flavor of the juice. The bartender had chosen well, and he was glad that he had trusted the man with creating the drink. “I am glad it pleases you. I asked that fruits more common to these southern climes be included.” Butterfly seemed much more reserved once more, and he looked at her with a thoughtful half-smile when she questioned his choice of wine for her. He didn’t answer right away other than to give a slight nod as he assessed her, the blue once more dominant in the shade of his eyes. If this was his Kaylin she was well concealed behind her mask and that stunningly delicate but demure dress and gloves. She had drawn his eye immediately, but he had gone about eliminating other faint possibilities first. How to draw her out or move on? How should he answer beyond he thought she might like it?

His thoughts were quickly interrupted by the third at their table as she mused about the identity of the lady he had seen at the bar in purple and blue. Wolf couldn’t offer her answers as he wasn’t ready to speak aloud his own faint impressions, yet he immediately rose to his feet as soon as the Winged One did, and tipped his head when she smiled at him. “Good even to you, M’lady of the magic wings. May you find what you seek.”

Seating himself once more, Wolf took another sip from his own glass to finish the contents before finally replying to Butterfly’s question. “I do indeed enjoy that vintage, and may have a glass for myself later. I enjoy it for its richness, with subtle heat from the spices, and consider it well suited to a winter evening such as this. You are right to say I may not have offered the same in Belfalas, but you are here in Minas Tirith now and I thought you might wish to dare a darker nectar. If it doesn’t please you I can retrieve something more to your liking.” He glanced down to place his empty glass on the table and straighten the cuff of his coat before looking at her once more with a questioning tilt to his head. It was still disconcerting to look at her mask with its veiled eyes, as he was used to using the eyes as well as posture to help define and determine thoughts and receive feedback.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Pink Wildflower

Smiling slightly, she nodded with understanding. "True, to call yourself a star is a fairly lofty claim," She agreed thoughtfully. She tried to think of something more reasonable to call him, instead, but was momentarily distracted when he asked if she had ever been there. She paused for a second, her lips parting slightly as she tried to think of how to reply. Should she pretend as if she hadn't ever been there, since she was using a Rohirric accent tonight? How many Rohirrim people would have gone to Ithilien before? But then she reminded herself that it wasn't as if he was the person she was trying to disguise herself from, right? So, after a couple of heartbeats, her expression changed into a smile, without reservation. "Yes," She replied happily. "Twice, though very briefly." She added, mildly regretful as she mentioned the 'briefly' part. "The first visit was cut short, which necessitated the second," She added with a little smile.

She laughed as he said he hadn't even thought of what he would have called her if she'd chosen the other option. Before she had a chance to think of anything to reply to that, she was spinning, and laughed again as she twirled. And twirled. And twirled! She was grinning when the twirling ended, and nodded, giggling lightly. "Yes, like that!" She answered with a grin.

"You know," She tilted her head, thinking for a moment. "It's just a little thing, but it stuck out I guess, but one of the things I thought was so nice about Ithilien, was standing in the middle of that vast, tranquil forest, with all those magnificent trees towering overhead, and the green leaves forming a canopy above," She smiled with a happy sigh, briefly closing her eyes as she recalled it, "and the sunlight streaming down through the leaves.. it was so.. nice. It made me so happy and peaceful, just being there."

She opened her eyes again, smiling softly. "Little golden sunbeams streaming through gaps in the leaves. So nice and happy" She smiled as an idea occurred to her then. "What do you think of that, sir? Instead of a 'golden star of Ithilien', perhaps a 'sunbeam of the forest' would be more fitting?" She suggested. Since he had been so nice to try and make her happy by asking her to dance, it seemed a fitting alias to her.

@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Lady Blossom

She only smiled when Butterfly wondered if she would be able to detect one of her lies, and Fairy informed her she would have to be very good to catch her. "Perhaps.. it depends a lot on the lie," Blossom answered with a little shrug, but decided to leave it at that. Since Wolf was returning, she didn't want to say anymore.

After trying the juice, she tried to determine what the flavor might be, but whatever fruits the juice was from, she decided she was unfamiliar with it. "Well, it's very good, thank you," She replied to Wolf, nodding as he mentioned it was juices from the southern lands, which explained why she was unfamiliar with the taste.

As she took another sip, she glanced toward the lady that Fairy had spoken of, in the blue and purple. "No, I'm afraid I don't," She answered, which was no surprise really. She knew no one here, really. "It's been lovely talking to you, perhaps we'll find each other later and speak more." She said with a smile as Fairy got up to go. She was thinking about how to make her own departure without it being too soon.

She took another sip of her juice, thoughtful while Butterfly and Wolf spoke about the wine. There was little about that topic which she was familiar with, so she spent the time thinking. After a moment, about the time that Fairy was nearly at the bar, Blossom sat up a tiny bit more than she already was, as if something had just occurred to her. "Oh, I've just remembered the name of that inn she was asking me about," She mentioned with a sigh, and glanced toward Butterfly. As if to say, 'of course I would remember after she leaves'.

She paused with a soft sigh, considering briefly as if unsure whether to let it drop or go after her, while toying with her glass for a moment. "Hmm, I think I will go tell her, before I forget again," She decided with a tiny nod. "Perhaps I'll inquire about the fruits used in this juice, while I'm there." She smiled. If she knew what sort of juice it was, then she could ask for another at some other time. "Please, excuse me, lady Butterfly, sir Wolf. It's been a pleasure talking with you both." She smiled to them each in turn as she stood and picked up her glass. "I hope you both have a lovely evening," She added pleasantly, and set off to follow the Fairy toward the bar.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Lantaelen

Black Lips
“Especially not if the black lingers for more than this evening, right?” Black Lips laughed softly. “That would not be very fun even for me if it does!”

The dance was coming to an end though, and she offered King Cheddar a quick curtsey in return for his pleasantries.

“It has been a joy to dance with you, sir,” she admitted with a smile. “Though perhaps I have not been overly kind to you with my teasing. But perhaps other ladies will be more pleasant to you.” Her blue eyes smiled at him warmly despite anything she had said before that might be opposite, and she gave her agreement to heading for refreshments: “I think a nice and cool beverage would be welcome, yes…”

@Rillewen
Meadow
“Come now, sir Dragon,” Meadow laughed at his words that tonight all the beauty is here, and lightly slapped his shoulder with the hand she had rested there as their danced.

“No, I don’t have any wet blanket brothers – fortunately or unfortunately,” she explained, “But I do have two sisters, though at least one did not need any talking into to participate in this event; in fact, she rather was the one to talk me into coming. The other is maybe less adventurous.”

Meadow
considered the description of winter given by Dragon and said thoughtfully: “Yes, Lossarnach is south enough not to get much of snow even in winter, but I imagine that snow would create the atmosphere for sitting by the fireplace with a cup of hot tea in hand and with a good book.”

The Gilded
“Why would someone tease you for water?” Gilded looked at Teal with a small smile. “I’d say it is a perfectly good drink, though perhaps an evening like this might require something more exquisite. Or perhaps it is the assumption.”

She let her eyes roam towards other dancers for a bit as they turned this way and that in their own easy-going way. “Some surely dance in such complicated ways,” she commented on her observations. “I think I would become dizzy and fall over. But suppose they have had much practice and are used to it.” She looked back at Teal and wondered: “Not sure if dancing would be one of those skills that should be mastered while living here in the city.”

Red Rooster

Rooster
looked back at Seashell with more care than previously as well as if doing his best to commit her face to memory just in case they came across each other again at some point.

“I usually don’t get too drunk, mostly just slightly tipsy if anything,” he said with a small laugh. “So maybe, if you visit a pub or two. Oh. You asked before if I knew pubs where musicians are usually playing – you could take a look into the Old Guesthouse or Wayfarers. At least these two are rather favoured by people, and musicians too, me thinks.”

He finished off his food and leaned back into his chair contentedly, looking around a bit idly to decide what his next step should be.

@Rillewen

Night Sky Courtier 1 - Youngest, with Hawk and Snowflake
at the far end of the bar.

He chose the seat which allowed him to not gaze down the length of the bar. His friends’ responses in the meantime were not entirely convincing, though each made an admirable attempt. It was obvious that the one had been working overtime to entertain the other. The Young Night Sky did his best to raise a confused eyebrow at the Hawk, above the Snowflake’s head, but the gesture proved as ineffective as it had all evening, to make with such an expression behind a concealing mask. The only answer he could be sure of then, was to the question he would not ask aloud. He simply ordered a pineapple juice, to match each of theirs. But did not move with any speed to drink of it quite yet. He raised and lowered it twice, as though weighing up the decision. And then carefully leaving it safe upon the bar before him.

Oh .. you know .. perfect ...” he answered instead, with a shrug, before liberating and then handing over each of two very elaborate lacy white sleeve cuffs. From their now-undone buttons, to the Snowflake, with a distracted sigh. “So clearly not .. Don’t be shy. They won’t bite,” he explained, as though the young woman had never expressed a want to receive the tokens he was offering. Or, more likely, that he had been counting down the moments until he could discard them, since he had first been forced to wear them.

The young man then raised his glass, absent of speaking any particular toast, and dipped his head as though in reverence to some unseen Vala in their midst, before he sipped from the drink. It was not a flavour that he favoured, but then that was not the point of the thing. It held meaning for a reason which was absent. Significantly so.

You’ve already taken a turn ?Night Sky asked very sincerely of his leathered-feathered friend. And picked up his glass again, purposely between them, before the Snowflake could smack him without risking a spill over them both. Having partaken of some more of the drink, catching up at least with his companions, he glanced from one of them to the other. “Come on then,” he conceded, coolly downed the remainder of his drink, and surrendered his seat, with one hand extended toward the unfortunate young woman. “We’re clipping the wings of our bird buddy here,” he winked toward Hawk with a hand placed on that friend’s shoulder. “Besides, I need your help with something,” he wiggled the fingers of his other/left hand toward the Snowflake. “Please ..” he tried.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie
|
Hawk and Snowflake
With Night Sky Courtier 1 at the far end of the bar

If they had not been so very familiar with each other, the inquisitive expression on the newcomer's face would have been easy enough to overlook. But as it was, he picked up on the hint of question in the other's gesture, and returned a faint little raise of his shoulders, as subtly as he could manage.

"I can see you both, you know," Said Snowflake calmly, from her place in between the two young men. With a small eye roll, she then gave a far more quizzical glance toward the sleeve cuffs offered to her. "Um. Thanks?" She accepted the pieces of cloth that had once adorned the ends of his sleeves, with yet another little eye roll. And then, having accepted them, she looked at the lacy cuffs in her hands for a moment as if wondering what to do with them. Before laying them together on the bar in front of her.

As the third glass of pineapple juice was raised slightly, the others joined in a brief salute as well, and soon all three glasses were empty. Snowflake glanced toward first one, then the other, and let out a little laugh. "You two don't have to babysit me, you know," She pointed out, then sighed softly. "BroN does have a point, though," She admitted. "I don't want to keep either of you from having fun. I didn't make these for you so you could sit around all night keeping me company," She mentioned with a little tap to the leather 'wings' adorning his shoulders.

"We're not babysitting you, and you're not keeping us from anything." Hawk protested. "Someone's got to remind you how to have fun." He smirked. "Go on, have a dance," he urged her to accept other young man's offered hand. "I'll be fine." he assured her.

She paused, tilting her head curiously as Night Sky mentioned needing her help with something, but she was not ready to go off to the dance floor just yet. She turned back to Hawk with a playful smile. "I will, but you have to dance with someone too." She told him.

"I will," he shrugged. "I'll find someone to dance with." He assured her. "I might just stay here for this one though."

"Nope. You have to dance if we are," Snowflake declared, then leaned toward him slightly with a vaguely mischievous glint in her eyes. "I dare you to ask the first un-claimed lady you see to dance. That way, BroN and I can be sure that you aren't sitting here all alone feeling left out." She smiled challengingly at him.

Hawk blinked as he heard her challenge, then stood up and deliberately turned so that he was facing other end of the bar, in the opposite direction from where another group was gathered (Fox, Swan, Red) and seemed to consider the dare for a moment with a little smirk. "Alright. I accept." He flashed a quick grin at the other two and gave a small nod to Night Sky, before setting off on his assigned 'mission'.

Watching their friend/brother approach the first lady that seemed to be alone, Snowflake gave a little nod in satisfaction, then turned back toward Night Sky with a little smile as she took his offered hand. "Alright. So, what is it you need my help with?" She wondered, smiling.

@Pele Alarion

Hawk
On his own now, approaching lady Amethyst

Taking a small pause after parting from the other two, the Hawk looked around briefly before approaching the only lady that he could see right away who did not appear have a dance partner at the moment. The young man wore a friendly smile as he approached lady Amethyst where she stood by the bar. He remembered her having been standing with the Gilded lady, earlier when he asked the other to dance. "It's a lovely evening, isn't it?" He greeted her cheerfully. "I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am, my lady." He added.

He took a slow breath before continuing, "I couldn't help noticing you were standing around alone, however, and I would like to remedy that if I may." He said, keeping a friendly smile on his face as he held out a hand invitingly. "May I ask for the honor of a dance, my lady?" Though the one he really wanted to dance with couldn't be here, he still hoped to have a nice time and enjoy the dancing and forget about all other concerns for tonight. He hoped the lady would agree to the dance.

Green Dragon

"What?" Dragon grinned slightly as she laughed and did not seem to believe his words. "I meant that." He told her, with all sincerity. He did not mind the playful smack, and only smiled in amusement at her as they danced.

Hearing that she did not have any brothers, but rather sisters, he nodded. "Ah, well it was good of your sister to talk you into coming." He smiled. "I sort of wish I could have talked my brother into it, but.." He sighed. "he's stubborn. Far too stubborn." He rolled his eyes but although the smile faded slightly, he continued smiling slightly, nonetheless. "Are you older, or younger? If you don't mind me asking."

He nodded slightly as she spoke about the snow maybe giving a nice atmosphere for sitting at the fire. "Sometimes, yes," He agreed quietly. "Or hot chocolate." He paused, considering what to say in reply to the snow topic. Rather than speak about how unpleasant it could be when one doesn't have a fireplace to sit by and sip nice drinks, he decided to mention how nice it looked, and smiled a bit more again. "Snow certainly is quite pretty when it's fresh fallen on the ground, like a glistening blanket over the whole world, with the sunlight or moonlight shining.. it sparkles and glows so beautifully. Have you ever seen that?" He asked, curious.

He thought the song might soon be ending fairly soon, and made up his mind that he would be sure and find the lady he had come with, for the next one. After how much he had pestered her to come here tonight, he didn't want to ignore her the whole evening, after all.

Teal Guy

"It is a perfectly good drink," He agreed with a grin. "Though it was only something to sip while I was figuring out what else there is to drink." He shrugged. "I don't know much about exquisite drinks, so I would not know what to ask for." He admitted.

As she mentioned how she might get dizzy if she were to try and follow the other dance moves that others were doing, he felt a little relieved that she did not seem to be hoping for better dancing skills than he had to offer. "Yes," He glanced around briefly, "I hear that they have a midwinter ball every year, so I suppose most of these people have been to it many years before."

He considered her comment about learning dancing skills. "Well," He smiled slightly as he thought about the fact they were dancing now, when neither had known how before this evening. "I suppose we already are learning, but I don't know if we might 'master' it," he laughed. "It's nice though. Isn't it?" He hoped that she found it as nice as he did, at least.

Seashell

The mask hid the area around her eyes and nose, but not much else of her face was all that concealed. Bright blue eyes seemed bluer paired with the color of her dress. "Well good for you," She commended him, when he mentioned he rarely got too drunk. "That seems to be a rare thing with guys who frequent pubs, I've noticed," She explained with a little laugh.

She listened more carefully when he remembered the question she'd asked, and now gave her an answer. She nodded thoughtfully. "Wayfarer, and Guesthouse," She repeated, committing the names to her memory. "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." She nodded. "Thank you sir, you've been very nice." She considered for a moment, and then nodded slightly to herself. "Hope to maybe see you around sometime." She smiled and got up, deciding to go to the dessert table and therefore, figuring that should free him up to move on and find someone else to dance with without feeling as if he should stick around for her sake or anything.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Fairy

The swiftness with which Thûllir rose to his feet surprised her, and her smile was genuine when she nodded her thanks to him. "I wish you the same, sir Wolf," she said, in clear reference to his Flame. "It has been a pleasure." When Blossom expressed the possibility of talking again later in the evening, the Fairy directed her smile at the lady. "That would be wonderful," she agreed. With a final nod at Butterfly, the Fairy stepped away from the table.

Her movements were still as they had been before, possessed of a confident elegance as she halted near one of the food tables about halfway in between the table she'd been sitting at and the Lady Amethyst at the bar. The Fairy figured it was best to watch the lady from a closer vantage point, at first, if at all possible. She saw a man in a hawk mask, with excellent feathered pauldrons approaching Lady Amethyst. Well, perhaps she would have to wait to approach given this nex development, if only not to interfere with what looked like an invitation for a dance.

The Fairy picked a grape from the display on the table next to her and ate it absent-mindedly as she observed Lady Amethyst and the Hawk. And whilst she wondered what else her evening might bring.

It had started off exceptionally well, of course, with her being able to flick a drink at Sir Hubris. An amused smile worked its way to her features as she thought back on it. And somehow she had immediately found herself in Kaylin's game, which meant her disguise had already served two purposes. Would it be able to serve another, allowing her to move unknown through the other guests, through friends, even family - as it turned out?

@Karis Ziranphel
The Butterfly

She almost startled when Thûllir stood so abruptly when the Fairy excused herself. Almost. Her gaze flicked between them and rested on Thûllir a little longer as he spoke his own words of goodbye. Not that he would notice. Since the Fairy and Thûllir has been seated next to each other, there was no need to turn her head toward one or the other, and therefore no way for him to know whom she was looking at. "Goodbye, Lady Fairy," the Butterfly said in a polite and friendly manner.

Inwardly, Butterfly relaxed slightly when Thûllir reclaimed his seat and as she noticed the blue in his eyes. That meant he was having fun at least, didn't it? Enjoying himself to some extent? She smiled politely at his explanation. "Interesting. Of course I am wililng to try it, sir. You speak of the vintage so well. Hence, there is no need to replace it. Your thoughtfulness is most assuredly noted."

Blossom's slight movement next to her made Butterfly look over at the lady. At her comment about an inn, Butterfly hummed almost without thinking, nodding along. "Such a nuisance, that sort of thing," she agreed with some sympathy. She offered Blossom a faint smile when the latter decided to go after Fairy and tell her what she'd 'just remembered'. "Likewise, Lady Blossom," the Butterfly replied to the lady's goodbye.

Drawing in a deep breath, Butterfly let it out slowly and then slanted her head while looking back at Thûllir. "Well," she said drily, "That was a sudden exodus, was it not?" She sipped the dark red wine before placing the glass back down on the table. "Much richer in taste than the more common reds," she noted as she assessed his eyes, quite enjoying he could not do the same with her.

@Rillewen
Golden Boy / Sunbeam of the Forest

"Twice!" he exclaimed, impressed given her accent, but then she explained the first had been very brief. He had to laugh in turn at her own laughing, grinning and giggling as and after he twirled her around several times. He was very glad that it looked like he'd been able to turn her mood around! For a little while, at the very least.

When she continued to speak of Ithilien, his smile grew soft. "That is a very nice description," he complimented her words. "And quite true. One of the many beautiful things about the forest." It was easy to agree with the young lady, since she was gushing about his favorite place. "Happy and peaceful," he agreed, smiling at the pretty picture the girl made with her eyes closed like that, and that reminiscent smile on what was visible of her face. "That is the goal, isn't it?"

He blinked when she asked what he thought of that, and then suggested the name 'Sunbeam of the Forest'. The next moment, he was laughing again, before his face settled into a grin. "I did say 'anything goes', didn't I?" He sounded amused. "But yes, I think that one does suit me much better than the one with the star." He seemed to consider something. "As a reward," he said as if conspiring with her about something, "I suggest.. more spinning!"

Switching his hold on her, he let go of her hand with his and stepped forward next to her so they were side to side and so they could spin round, round and round each other.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Lady Blossom

Weaving her way gracefully around and past the tables, Blossom followed the course that Fairy had taken and soon caught up to her where the other lady had paused. "Sooner rather than later, it seems." She mentioned quietly as she stepped up beside her, with a little smile, in reference to what she had said in parting to Fairy. "I told them I had remembered the name of an inn that you had asked about, which I could not remember at the time, so I thought I should stop and speak to you for a moment, at least," She explained with a little amusement in her eyes. "What was that all about, if you don't mind me asking?" She wondered.

@Arnyn

Pink Wildflower

"Yes," She answered to his surprise about her having been to Ithilien. "Though I didn't get to go very far in," She added regretfully. "Perhaps some other time, I will get a chance to explore it more thoroughly." She mentioned hopefully. "But I can't really tell you very much about my previous visits there," She added, apologetically. Next time, she would be better prepared for any possible dangers. But it was nice to meet another person who shared her love of the forest. Even if she reminded herself she ought to keep from getting too eager about speaking of the forest.

She grinned as the gentleman reacted with a laugh to the name she had suggested, and she was glad he seemed to like it. "I thought so, anyway," She said, in reply to it being better suiting for him. "You were so nice, trying to make me happy when you don't even know me." She smiled at the comparison. "Just as the sunlight brings happiness to everyone!" She couldn't imagine anyone not finding the sunlight to bring joy and happiness, so felt that her statement was quite accurate.

The suggestion for more spinning brought another grin, though she was a little surprised as he switched his hold on her and did a different sort of spinning with her. But she followed his lead, and her smile grew wider. This was not one of the things she had practiced, but it was quite fun, and it didn't take much to figure out how to go along.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn

The Wolf

Lady Butterfly’s smile was perfectly polite, and Thûllir examined it for familiarity as she accepted the wine and chose not to turn it down. From her earlier comments, he almost expected her to turn it down to make a point, but this was a favorite vintage. Lady Blossom spoke about an Inn that she had wanted to mention, and then Butterfly hummed in response, eliciting a close examination from Thûllir. Were his ears playing tricks on him or did he recognize that sound? He was distracted enough that he didn’t quite register right away that Lady Blossom was intending to leave the table. What was with them both leaving in such an abrupt fashion? He only half rose from his seat before she was turning away, and he sank back with a silent sigh. He normally didn’t stand on ceremony at all and would have stayed seated but for a nod of farewell, but at occasions such as this he did his best to be as polite as his mother had taught him long ago, including standing when ladies left their seats, in greeting, and farewell.

Thûllir smiled wryly back at Butterfly and nodded in agreement as she tilted her head and commented on the exodus. He was quite aware that suddenly it was just the two of them at the table. He couldn’t tell, but she seemed to be examining him in return by the posture of her head. His smile grew slightly when she commented on the wine being richer than common reds. Waiting a beat to reply, he spoke seriously but with amusement lacing his tone. “Only the richest of reds is worth drinking, and keeps me coming back for more after the first scent of the bouquet, even more so after tasting. Nothing else compares.” She had only just begun her glass of wine, so it seemed premature to invite her to dance, but he could at least introduce the topic. Tilting his head towards the dancefloor without taking his eyes off of her, he queried lightly. “Do you like to dance, m'lady? I saw you dancing with a dragon earlier. Was it a glorious flight with both of you winged creatures? Did he breathe fabled fire to lift you and let you soar?” He hadn’t watched closely enough to see how they had gotten on dancing since he had necessarily been preoccupied at the time with the elimination game, but he had noticed them in the swirl of dancers.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Fairy

She turned her head ever so slightly toward Blossom when the lady joined her. "Sooner indeed," she said with an amused smile. "Not a bad idea, about the inn. I do not doubt Butterfly went along with it smoothly." Fairy picked another grape, more to give herself something to do than out of actual hunger.

"That was about miss Butterfly's playfulness," the Fairy said. She sounded amused, but there was also a hint of 'what can you do?' to her tone. "When she heard that the midwinter ball this year would be a masquerade, she thought it would be more fun to start with a game for her and her husband, rather than them simply arriving together. Miss Butterfly is quite good at disguises." The Fairy glanced back at their table, but her gaze did not longer longer than a mere moment before it moved back to Blossom. "I should say, she is even better than I had expected. When she proposed her plan to me, I still felt like her husband would find her rather quickly. But not only is her visual disguise exceptional, she even managed to change the way she speaks - not only in accent but also in the colour of her tone. Her behaviour is also different, down to the very small mannerisms we all have."

The Fairy laughed quietly. "My guess is she wants the poor man to at least suspect who she is sooner rather than later, but that she wants to enjoy more than one kind of dance with him." Trying to explain it now to Blossom, had given the Fairy a sudden and unexpected insight in the 'why' behind it all. It was one way to keep things interesting and fun...

@Karis Ziranphel
The Butterfly

'Only the richest of reds is worth drinking, and keeps me coming back for more after the first scent of the bouquet, even more so after tasting. Nothing else compares.'

Butterfly slowly raised the glass to her lips again, eying him attentively as she took another sip and let that comment sink in. It was obviously not as much about the wine. Trying to get a response, was he? To find out if she might be the lady he was looking for? Mentally, she was grinning. In her mind, those words were indeed about her, and she felt rather satisfied hearing them.
"Does your lady favour red then, sir Wolf?" she asked, her tone mildly amused and showing she was not oblivious to his ambiguity. Butterfly wanted to add a question about the Lady in Red to that, but Thûllir spoke first.

To ask whether she liked to dance. And about the Dragon. Butterfly couldn't resist a smile, though she did manage to keep it muted whilst banishing the smugness she could feel spreading through her. "I do like to dance," she agreed, still sounding reserved despite the boundless fun she was having right now. It was hard not to grin as he asked about the dance with the dragon, as if to check how much she had enjoyed it.

She debated her answer as she took another slow sip of wine, for speaking indirectly did not come so easily to her. "The Dragon's element turned out to be air rather than fire. Our flight therefore was pleasant and enjoyable, without any dangerous flickers of heat." The Butterfly looked at the dancefloor. "It served to distract the Dragon after a dance with the Lady in Red. Which had apparently left some... impression." Her face turned back to Thûllir. "Did I not see the two of you dancing together, as well? How rich a red did she turn out to be, Sir?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Golden Boy

"If only it were so easy for me as it is for the sun to make people happy! That would be quite a talent." And one he would enjoy. Alas! He possessed no such magic.

The young lady picked up on the move easily enough, he found. Worthy of a compliment - to perhaps keep that smile on her face. "For not having much experience, Lady Wildflower, you are taking to dancing quite well." He switched sides, turning them the other way next. "Anyone you are hoping to find this evening? Or are you like myself: only here to socialize with anyone willing, simply seeking to enjoy the rarity of the occasion?"

@Karis Ziranphel
Macardil

"Then maybe you should let me enjoy my chosen distraction," he agreed with Ziran. "At least, for as long as I can manage to enjoy the feel of you in my arms, without the desire to test the limits of public presentation threatening to overcome my strength of will." He twirled her around before drawing her back in and dipping her down, his hand supporting her back as he did so. "If the challenge becomes too great," he whispered near her ear, bowing forward along with her dip, "then we can make an attempt at socializing." He rose, lifting her upright again along with him, and his smile had become much less pronounced, and yet somehow more intense. "If My Lady agrees to this proposal, of course."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
Meadow
“Ah, much more stubborn than I am, that brother of yours,” Meadow said. “I did not need much persuasion to agree coming. I am right between my two sisters, the middle one. Not a bad position to be in if I say so myself.”

“Hot chocolate. Mmm… Yes, that too,” she agreed and thought to herself that perhaps that should be the drink she should get at the next opportunity. “I’ve seen a light dusting of snow on the fields, and the snowy mountain caps sparkling in the sun, off in the distance.” She paused a while and then asked: “Can you ski?”

The Gilded
“I guess then the option is to ask one of the attendants to suggest something they think would be excellent and suitable to drink,” Gilded said, also not quite sure of what she would prefer to have or what options there were.

“I am ever so slightly envious that they have something like this each year. While our Mettare is fun, the dancing… Mmmm!” she said dreamily; now that she had dared to take the first steps in learning how to dance it seemed such an excellent activity.

“I would definitely want to continue learning some more difficult moves, though probably not this evening,” she told Teal, and then added with conviction: “And why not master it properly? It’s not like something unachievable. Or would you rather keep to healing alone and not join me should I venture further into the world of dancing?”

Red Rooster
“Well, yes, I guess guys do tend to go too far, often,” Rooster agreed with evaluation, though he knew that there were quite a few who did not really go that far.

Seeing that Seashell was about to leave, he quickly rose and bowed to her slightly as he said: “May the rest of your evening be wonderful, Princess Ulumúri, and may you find whom you seek.” His sincere smile extended to his brown eyes, as he added: “Till we meet again, perhaps.”
Amethyst
She was leaning against the bar with one elbow lightly and observing the dancers while she sipped of her drink slowly, when the man in the Hawk mask approached her. She remembered him from earlier and smiled back at him.

“The evening is indeed lovely,” she replied. “And I have been alone but for a moment though I do not object to dancing again.”

Taking another sip of the drink she left the rest on the bar, while placing her hand in his.

“Is everything to your liking here?” she questioned lightly.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn

The Wolf

"Does your lady favour red then, sir Wolf?"
Her question made his lips twitch with amusement, but Thûllir managed not to grin, lifting his chin in non-committal acknowledgement. Such a reserved smile from her when he asked about dancing, but she did agree that she liked to dance.
He controlled the smile that wanted to break out when Butterfly continued after a moment and spoke of the dragon only having air as his element but producing no dangerous flickers of heat. She turned the question around on him as she segued into talking about the lady in Red.

Thûllir lifted his hand to run a thumb along his jaw shadowed with burnt red mahogany for a moment in thought as he considered how to respond to that one. His tone was slightly pensive when he answered, his gaze dropping to the lilac gloves on Butterfly’s hands before returning to her masked face. “Her bouquet did not hold the richness that her dress seemed to promise. A less common red perhaps, but not one worth tasting for this wolf. I told her she was playing with fire, and she thought it amusing to try to rouse a wilder flame, but we were as two lanterns passing, with no fear of igniting. A flickering ember, that one, bright enough in the dark but missing true and living flame.”

Being unable to see her eyes through the mask had him lifting his to examine the intricate braids that wove through the blonde tresses of her updo. His tone was casual as he continued. “You asked if my lady favored red…perhaps less often in attire, but aye, usually. There is always something of the richest of reds about her.”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen @Lantaelen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

The Fox mentioned Linhir, and Red lifted her eyebrows slightly as she realized that is indeed what his accent sounded like. Then he couldn't be her quarry, could he? Linhir, alcohol. It seemed less and less likely for this young man to be the target of the nobleman's contract. Well. If his eyes were off, she could consider the case closed. He had almost been avoiding looking at her directly, it seemed, but she would find some way around that...

Red smiled appreciatively of the young lady's wit when she made her comment about being a friend and ally to foxes everywhere. She shook her head slowly, with a certain elegance that was difficult to practice, and more of an innate quality. "I am afraid not," she admitted. Noting the way the Swan slipped her hand around the Fox's upper arm, Red smiled knowingly, and gave the Swan the tiniest of understanding nods. The Swan's hand was a request and a cue, if she had ever seen one. "I do believe the dance floor calls to the two of you once more," Red said graciously.

"And whyever not? You do make a lovely pair, if I may say so. A golden mask to frame a pair of sea-grey eyes, and the guise of a fox harboring a pair of steely blues," she stated oh so casually. If the young man's eyes were not this particular colour, there was sure to be some comment to deny it. If not from the Fox himself, then surely from the Lady Swan. How could she not have gazed into his eyes, during their dance? She was already calling him 'her' Sir Fox, after all.

Poised, Red sipped her wine as she listened for their response, before they would surely hurry off to each other's exclusive company once more.

@Karis Ziranphel
The Butterfly

That stubble... The Butterfly quickly silenced her own mind by focusing on Thûllir's words rather than the way his thumb brushed along his jawline. Hold on. The lady in red's bouquet? Her bouquet? Was he kidding?!
She made sure to breathe in normally, a bit slower perhaps - but he shouldn't be able to notice that. She wanted to snort when he said the lady in Red was not one worth tasting for him. Even the distant thought, the mere possibility, was making her temper flare. The Butterfly lifted her glass back to her lips. As it turned out, she was playing with fire as well, by simply setting the board for this little game.

She might need to have a word with the Lady in Red before the evening was over, if the bit about her trying to get something more out of Thûllir was true. He would not lie, she figured. Not even to draw her out. Red might need a lesson about wedding rings, and keeping her paws off a man who was clearly spoken for.

At least the bit about two lanterns passing, with no fear of igniting calmed her down just in time in order to maintain her composure throughout. She saw him watching her hair, and managed a faint smile. "Always?" she inquired, some surprise in her voice. "How so? Does your presence by her side always made her blush, perchance?" Her faint smile grew minutely.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Child of Gondor
Redman

He lightly stretched and pulled at the collar of his jacket as he neared the door to the tavern. It wasn't like he didn't know how to dress up, but it was a new jacket, and he was still breaking it in. The mask however was another story. If he made it the entire evening without ripping it off it would be a miracle.

Pushing the door open his brown eyes took in such a sight he nearly half grinned. "Impressive." He spoke under his breath as he came through the threshold and nodded a quick greeting to the man waiting to take jackets. He wouldn't be giving up this evening. Stepping out of the main path of those entering he cast a glance around the room. There was just about every color he could think of in one shade or another and some of the outfits were very impressive.

The ladies were very lovely and seemed to have put on their best for the event, but his eyes didn't linger too long on any one woman. He was after all looking for a certain woman, but he still wasn't sure she was even going to be there. How would he find her? Well, suppose he would start where many were either heading or gathering. The bar. He was a tall, wide shouldered figure cutting a path for the counter but of course he let others pass before him. "Excuse me." He bid pardon lightly before finally making it to his target.

He lay claim to a small parcel of counter and nodded to the bartender. "Ale." A simple request when he could see they could make anything you desire but he wasn't there to get drunk. He was there to enjoy the evening and perhaps dance but inwardly he only wished to dance with one woman. Now if she were only there.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn

The Wolf

The surprise in Lady Butterfly’s voice drew his gaze back down to catch the faint smile that tilted her lips as she sought clarification on his statement. Wolf smirked. He couldn’t help it in response to her question. It hadn’t been at all what he meant, but it did remind him of certain delicious blushes that had adorned his loves features in response to his words. His thumb rubbed down his jaw again and his fingers brushed across his mouth as if trying to brush away the smile on his lips. They didn’t succeed. “Nay, lady.” He leaned in close as if sharing a confidence as his eyes flicked up to her veiled ones and down to her lips again, glinting with amusement and a slight rasp in his voice. “She has great control even around me, so she doesn’t always blush in my presence. Generally only when I do or say something particularly outrageous, shocking, or intimate does she award me her blushes. When I say there is always something of the richest red about her I mean in her personality, full of warmth and fire that shines through. Yet…” His voice dropped to a murmur and he paused, deciding whether to continue with sharing his private thoughts or not. He decided to change his tack. “The disguise ensures the flickers of flame are more diffuse and less noticeable.”

Looking down at the glass he had brought her that was still half-full with her slow savoring of the vintage, he almost regretted bringing it over in that it slowed down his approach, despite it providing a means of conversation and filling her request. Straightening a little, he tilted his head away as if assessing her. “You have said you liked to dance. Would you do me the honor of dancing with me when you have finished your wine?”

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Karis Ziranphel

Lady Blossom

Blossom laughed softly. "Thanks. It was the first thing I could think of that seemed reasonable." She shrugged, then listened as the other explained about the situation. "Ah.. I see." She examined the table from which Fairy had claimed a grape, and decided against taking anything herself, for the moment. She was intrigued to hear that the lady was good at disguises. Both lying, or as she put it, 'acting', and disguises? Interesting. "Do you think he knows it is her?" She wondered, resisting the urge to glance back toward the table as well.

@Arnyn

Pink Wildflower

"You like making people happy, then?" She asked with a smile. She couldn't help thinking of someone else who seemed to like making others smile, and tried not to feel too disappointed that it was not him she was dancing with. She was a bit surprised to hear him compliment her dancing. "Am I?" She asked, pleasantly surprised. "It seems easy enough," she paused when he switched the way they were going, but found that it was the same thing, only in the other direction.

His question made her hesitate slightly before answering. "There is someone," She admitted, resisting the temptation to glance over to try and find him again. "I have already found him, but.." She felt a little blush rising up to her cheeks and hoped the mask hid it at least somewhat. "Well, he hasn't really noticed me." Her tone dropped a little along with her smile, but she shrugged lightly and smiled a little again. "Do you dance very much, in Ithilien?" She wondered, her smile widening a little again. "I think I would, if I lived there."

@Pele Alarion

Hawk
with lady Amethyst

He smiled slightly as the lady declared that she did not object to dancing again. As she accepted his hand, Hawk took a quick glance over to make sure that Night Sky and Snowflake were, in fact, going toward the dance floor after all, and that she had not backed out or something. Seeing that they were, he felt satisfied in having done his duty for the time being, in keeping his sister's spirits up. "Yes, m'lady," He answered with a grin, as he led Amethyst toward the dance floor as well. "To be honest, I almost feel.. overwhelmed, just being here," He glanced around with slight wonder, before turning toward the lady to assume a dancing position.

"I never would have thought I'd have a chance to attend such a wonderful event. It almost feels.. unreal." He went on with a little smile. "There is little that could improve this evening, for me anyway." He didn't want to go on about himself too much, and looked at the lady curiously. "And what about you? Are you having a good time as well?"

Green Dragon

"Stubborn, indeed. But also uninterested," He shrugged and smiled as she listened to her mention how she was the middle one. "Ah, interesting. I'm the eldest of my siblings. A lot of pressure there, to be the example and all that, growing up." He rolled his eyes with a little laugh, but smiled as she agreed about the hot chocolate. "I get that so seldom, it's always a wonderful treat when I do get it," He mentioned.

When the lady asked if he could ski, he took a long moment to pause and think before giving an answer. "I.. must admit, my lady, that is a term I have never heard before," He told her apologetically, trying not to feel too embarrassed about that. He decided to do one more twirl with her, and after finding the right moment to pull it off, he did so. It might be his imagination, but he felt as if it was smoother each time. After the twirl was completed, he looked at her again with curiosity. "Would you like to return to the bar and get a cool drink, perhaps? I am curious to hear what it is to 'ski', if you wouldn't mind explaining it."

Teal Guy

He grinned as she mentioned being envious. "There was a small festival of sorts each autumn, in my village. To celebrate the harvest, you know." He shrugged. "And celebrations, on the occasions when someone got married. There would be some dancing, then, but I never really did much of that." He admitted. "But then," He smiled slightly. "There was never anyone there that I cared to dance with."

As she spoke of how she would like to learn to dance more, and with more difficult moves, he gave a small nod, feeling regretful that he could not do much more. "I wouldn't mind joining you in your quest to learn more about dancing, but I'm not sure where to learn such skills," He answered with a little apologetic smile.

Seashell/Ulumúri

She was a little caught by surprise, seeing him stand up and bow to bid her farewell, but smiled slightly at the manners and his polite words. She couldn't help being a little amused by the 'princess Ulumuri' title he had bestowed on her, though. She wasn't sure what she'd done for him to decide to call her a princess, but grinned slightly regardless. "Thank you, Sir of the crimson feathers, I wish you a wonderful evening as well." She grinned as she couldn't think of much better to offer for an alias. She curtsied slightly before setting off toward the dessert table.

Hopefully she wouldn't hinder him from enjoying his evening any more than she already had, and had begun to feel like he was maybe only sticking around to try and help her, and she didn't want to do that. Now, as she selected a few items from among the desserts, she was carefully scanning her gaze around and studying the people who were sitting an eating at other tables, and others who were moving along the buffet tables.

@Arnyn @Lantaelen

Sir Fox

He grinned slightly when Lady Swan declared herself a friend and ally to foxes everywhere. He took a sip of his drink while still smiling, as he thought about another girl he had once met who had been so determined to help some foxes, that she'd risked her life and gone to great lengths to see the little critters safe.

When she replied that no, she had not ever been to Linhir, he smiled then at the compliment to his dancing. "Thank you, my lady." He answered, half-amused, while also a little grateful for a little brush-up practice he'd had in the couple of weeks prior to this evening. Lady Red had also not been to Linhir, it seemed. "A shame, it's a very nice place." He commented, as if with mild regret for their sakes.

Feeling lady Swan's hand around his arm, he glanced toward her, wondering if she had something to say. But hearing Lady Red speak of the dance floor calling to them, he was a little unsure how to reply to the comment about them making a 'lovely couple'. With a faint smile, he gave a little nod. "I did promise the next dance to you, my lady," he said to lady Swan. "Have you had enough of your drink?" He asked, then glanced toward lady Red, mildly surprised to hear a comment about their eyes. "Thank you," he answered to the compliment after a heartbeat's pause, a little unsure how else to respond to such a comment. "You're quite observant, my lady, to have noted the colors of our eyes despite these masks." He remarked with some curiosity. But Lady Swan was waiting to be escorted to the dance floor. He took one last drink to finish off his glass, then slid the empty glass toward the bartender before standing. "Please, excuse us," He added with a little smile to the other lady, and offered his arm to Lady Swan. "Shall we?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen @Lantaelen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

So, she thought as she drank from her glass steadily, his eyes are in fact the rather specific kind of blue I'm looking for. That was... interesting. Albeit unfortunate. Now she would have to investigate further. Linhir did not add up. The red hair did not add up - but haircolor could be changed, and rather easily for her quarry, given his true, natural hair color. The alcohol did not add up either. She had seen him drinking the wine with her own eyes. But she also remembered that the shading had seemed slightly off, even if it may have been just a trick of the light. However, the Lady in Red just so happened to be quite the experienced consumer of red wine in particular. And with his eye colour now confirmed, she had no other choice.

"A lady learns to be observant," she noted, with a tilt of her lips and an almost conspiratory smile to the young Lady Swan even as Red placed her own empty glass on the bar beside her, the fingers of her hand resting on the base of the glass. "Nevertheless, I thank you for the compliment." Her eyesight and attention to detail had always been one of her strengths.

When the Fox rose from the barstool and offered her a parting apology, Red smiled politely. "Of course," she accepted his words smoothly, before the young man offered his arm to Lady Swan. Her own glass had moved behind the Fox' empty one, so it stood in between his glass and the bartender, who was currently serving someone else. Her gesture had been perfectly natural, since she had turned slightly to watch the younger couple moving off toward the dance floor, and the glass had merely moved along with the turn of her arm. Her fingers still rested on the base.

@Karis Ziranphel
The Butterfly

She'd mentally prepared for that smirk of his, but seeing it right in front of her made it that she still had to work hard in order not to smirk herself. She could feel her heart beating faster as he brushed along his jaw again and then over his lips, to then lean in toward her, inviting her confidence. Damn that man! She leaned toward him herself, albeit only slightly.

His words complimented her control, as if reminding her that - yes - she had it. She had it. She repeated the mantra mentally as he continued to speak. The Butterfly failed to conceive what her persona might most believably do in response to such words, as her memory threatened to take her back to a few of those particularly outrageous statements, questions and suggestions. Instead, she merely stayed very still as she mentally distracted herself with anything she could, in order to avoid said memories casting just such a blush on her face.

She usually had no issues practicing detachment, no issues acting and locking her own emotions away from sight when she was acting. It had not been difficult the previous masquerade, maintaining her charade in front of him. But there had been another present at the time, she remembered. She had not been talking to Thullir alone. Who would have thought it would be such a challenge to engage with him in private conversation? Whatever was she going to do when he had her in his arms out on the dance floor?! It frustrated and amused her at the same time. She would have to think of something. A way to hold back her usual responses to him. Or change them. ugh. Something, anyway.

When he straightened, she did the same. She resisted the urge to swallow under his assessing gaze, focusing on her maintaining her posture. "I would," she acquiesced, "provided you think that this lady of yours will not flare at me for touching you." Casually, she lifted the glass to her lips, drinking deep.

@Rillewen
Golden Boy / Sunbeam of the Forest

"Why not?" he returned the question about wanting to make people happy. "Happiness is one of the very best things this world has to offer. Why would I not enjoy spreading it to others, when I can? And yes, you seem to be quite the natural at dancing," he smiled. He'd gotten to recognize that when he saw it.

When she said there was someone she was trying to find this evening, and specified she had already in fact found him, but he had yet to find her, Sunbeam's eyes widened a bit with the realization. "You would like for him to see you and come to you of his own volition?" he asked, wanting to see his guess confirmed or denied. "Who is this man?" he asked, tilting his head down just a little. "Maybe I can twirl you in the right direction?"

As he stopped their mutual spinning and returned to the standard dancing position, he smiled at the sudden image of her dancing between the trees, drawn forth by her question about dancing in Ithilien. "Maybe I should dance there a little more, as well," he admitted. "But I do not enjoy dancing alone as much."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength