Midwinter Masquerade

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

The Hawk

He smiled, having every intention of passing that message along. He laughed lightly at the comment about the kitty being mischievous. "Yes, I think sometimes that they, along with our brother, have secretly trained the cat to do this, just to annoy me." he joked. "But I hope your cat is nicer to you." He added, and smiled slightly as she spoke of his sisters being lucky. "I think I am the one who is lucky, to have them for my family." He was glancing around slightly as they walked. Spotting a figure lurking near the door, he smiled faintly. "Ah.. there she is, finally." He muttered.

As Gilded took off to grab herself some bacon rolls, Hawk smiled and ventured over to gather a few things onto a place as well, at another end of the same table, trying to keep out of the way of another pair that had come over from the dance floor. Looking across the room again, he frowned when he found that the girl he'd seen had moved slightly. She was closer to the door, now. He lost sight of her for a moment, as people moved around in the ballroom, but when he saw her again, he was concerned. She was moving gradually, but steadily, toward the door.

"Thank you for the dance, my lady," he said to Gilded, and with a slight nod to the other guy who had begun speaking to her. "I hope the rest of your evening goes well.. for now, I need to go.. avert a crisis." With that, he snatched a couple of pastries and set off briskly toward where Snowflake was inching her way along the wall, toward the door.

Teal Guy

"You too, ma'am!" He replied with a smile. He ventured over to inspect the food options, and took a few delicious looking things before spotting something with bacon. Intrigued, he started to reach for it, just about the time a young lady was reaching as well. He hastily stopped himself and smiled politely. "My apologies, please, ladies first." He waited for her to get what she wanted of them, then took a couple of them as well.

It took him a second or two longer, before realizing that the girl was actually familiar. He blinked and did a double-take before his eyes widened slightly. "Oh! Hello! I didn't.. realize that was you." He declared with a little laugh at himself, feeling a little stunned. "Wow, you look very nice!" He informed her, surprised by the change between the way that she usually looked, and her in a fancy, expensive gown. Adding a mask onto that, and she had looked just different enough for him to not recognize her at first. As the guy in the hawk mask offered a nod, in either greeting or farewell, he smiled slightly in return before returning his attention to Gilded. "Are you having fun, so far?" He asked, smiling at her.

Seashell

Seashell nodded with a slightly knowing smile, understanding as the young man spoke of 'the good, bad, and ugly'. "Ah.. trouble." She raised an eyebrow slightly, though it wasn't very noticeable with her mask. "You mean, the sort of trouble you find in taverns, I suppose?" She guessed. "I don't generally venture into places like that, no," She agreed, though with some reservation about how much she shared with him. "Although, I have heard some rather lively and spirited music coming from such places, as I pass by." She shrugged slightly, tilting her head curiously. "So, tell me, sir, what makes Minas Tirith better for someone who is 'proper'?" She wondered. "They have taverns here, too, don't they?" She cast her glance about, briefly, before looking back at Rooster. "Surely, they aren't all this fancy?" She laughed lightly. "What about the ones on the lower levels? Are they different from the ones you'd find in Harlond? Better atmosphere.. better drinks? Better music, perhaps?" She wondered.

As he asked about her travels, she grinned. "I've done a bit of traveling, yes," She confirmed. "There are some rather wonderful places to be seen, if you don't mind the travel. I enjoy having adventures, so I find it very fun." She shrugged, then smiled slightly. "Yes, I think birds are interesting. But I like fish and dolphins and sea turtles and just about all other sort of animals, too." She laughed. "I find it difficult to pick what would be my favorite sort of animal. What about you, sir?"

@Arnyn

Green Dragon

"Ah.." He frowned slightly as he tried to think of how he was supposed to guide the lady through a twirl. That was what had confused him before, in practice. How to guide the lady without touching her, except for the hands that were joined? That seemed puzzling. How did that work?

When she suddenly had an idea, he was interested to hear it. But, when he actually did hear the idea, Dragon stared at her in slightly stunned silence, his mouth lingering in a nearly disbelieving smile. She couldn't be serious. Right? But.. no, she actually was. A tiny, almost incredulous laugh slipped out, before he cast a swift glance about the room. It was almost like a challenge, the way she had said it. As if she didn't believe he would actually accept that challenge.

But, well. It wasn't as if he knew anyone in this room, except for Blossom. She would maybe tease him, but he didn't mind that. And, hopefully, no one here would recognize him if they saw him later, anyway. He did plan on trimming his beard tomorrow, and that was about the only part of his face that was seen at the moment.

With another little laugh of amusement, he grinned back as he returned his gaze toward the Butterfly, rather than looking to see who might be looking at them. "Why not?" He decided, curious if she would be surprised that he actually went along with her idea. Perhaps it had been only a joke, but he was curious enough to accept the challenge and find out whether the lady would actually go along with her own idea.

Lady Cat

While she didn't know anything about this guy, she felt as if there was an air of confidence about him, though it could all be an act. She didn't see that very often, and found it intriguing. As they began to dance, she moved along with his lead with confidence of her own. As if she had done it plenty of times before.

His question was well put, which made the corners of her mouth curve upward slightly as she tilted her head, as if considering how much she'd like to tell him. In fact, she was trying to decide how to answer without revealing anything that would spoil any of her mysteriousness, which she found enjoyable to wrap herself in.

"No, I am not from this city," She replied after a moment, smiling faintly. "I came because I heard that there was to be a Ball, and that it would be held with great splendor and grandeur." She explained. "We do not have such things as this, where I come from, and I wanted to see for myself what was so wonderful about it," She smiled softly, as her eyes roamed about, at the decorations and grandness of it all. "It was no exaggeration," She declared. "I see now what I have been missing. It is quite beautiful, is it not?" She looked back at Golden, mildly surprised how readily he told her where he was from. "I have heard of Ithilien, but have never been there. I hear that it is a very large forest.. correct?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Steward of Gondor
|
Hawk & Snowflake

Catching up to Snowflake just as she was turning to slip through the doorway, Hawk caught her elbow lightly. "Hey," he spoke softly. "You're not leaving are you? Already?"

Snowflake froze, turning slowly to look, almost guiltily, at the first familiar person she'd seen so far. "I was..thinking about it," She admitted with a small shrug, her bare arms hugged around herself as if she were cold. Or awkward. Or both.

Hawk frowned in concern. Her mask was lovely and very well crafted, but it didn't hide her face as well as many of the other masks. At least not from him. He could see enough of her face, at least, to recognize the look on it. He'd seen that look before, and it had taken far too long before it was finally replaced with a happier expression. "Please, SisC, don't go yet. At least give it a little more time?" He smiled and offered out the plate he had in hand. "I even brought you some stuff. There's chocolate?"

She managed a tiny smile as she glanced at the little pastries on the plate. "Thanks," She accepted one of the little chocolates, but kept her gaze downcast. "I.. just don't really feel.. like.." She hesitated, her words faltering a bit as she wasn't sure how to explain.

Hawk sighed softly and moved to lean against the wall, positioning himself between her and the door. He looked toward the people all dancing and mingling and having fun, with bright colored dresses swirling, masks concealing faces, shrouding the evening in fun and mystery. He turned toward her and spoke softly. "This is where you should be, tonight of all nights." He insisted in a determined tone. "I know.. why you may feel like you shouldn't be here, but you really shouldn't be alone, either. Not today. And you're not alone, here." He emphasized.

She shrugged slightly and kept her gaze focused on the chocolate she was nibbling on. "I could've curled up with the cat." She mumbled, shrugging slightly. "Wouldn't have been alone, then."

Rolling his eyes, the hawk decided not to bother responding to that. "You're allowed to have fun, you know." He told her quietly. "He'd want you to enjoy this," He pointed out, without needing to say who he meant. He looked around. "He'd have had a great time, tonight." Hawk added softly.

She shrugged and didn't respond to that, in her turn. Her eyes were on one of the couples on the dance floor as she absently nibbled on a cinnamon pastry the hawk had brought over for her. "BroN looks like he's having fun." She commented quietly. In fact, the one she was referring to looked as if he were on cloud nine, from what she could tell. Almost everyone in here seemed to be happy and smiling, except for her.

Following her gaze, Hawk smiled faintly to observe this to be true. "As you should be, too." He declared. "Today is not for mourning. Save that other day for all that. Today," he hesitated. "This is a day for celebrating." He smiled widely as he looked at her. "What is it.. twenty... three?" He hesitated until, with a tiny eyeroll and faint smile, she confirmed this number. "Twenty-three years ago," He went on, "the world gained two wonderful people." He faced her. "That, alone, is worth celebrating.. don't you think?" He didn't give her a chance to reply to that, before sticking his hand out. "Come on," he urged, nodding his head toward the dance floor. "One dance, please?" He asked.

Snowflake sighed softly. "You'd have more fun with some other girl, silly." She told him. "I'm just.."

"One dance, that's all I ask. Besides, you got all dressed up and everything, it'd be a waste of time to leave now. At least stay for an hour, alright?" He pleaded. "I promise you won't regret it, if you stick around." He paused, then leaned in and whispered in her ear.

She hesitated, biting her lip lightly, then let out a little sigh. "Alright, fine." She agreed, quietly taking the offered hand. "Just one."

"N might want a dance with you too." Hawk suggested the possibility, before glancing over to where their other brother was dancing with a lovely lady, wearing a huge smile on his face. "Maybe." He amended, figuring it unlikely he would want to leave who he was currently dancing with, to dance with his sister. But they both had known she might need some cheering up today, so it was possible. Shrugging, he smiled encouragingly and led Snowflake out toward the edges of the dance floor, leaving the empty plate on a tray for dishes.

As the two began dancing slowly together, Snowflake ended up with her face hidden in Hawk's shoulder, and he held her quietly, in a comforting sort of way that was more like a hug than a dance position. He was not very concerned about what other people might think, though they did keep to the edges of the dance floor so not to risk being in anyone's way.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Butterfly

She held back laughter at the way his mouth betrayed just how flabbergasted he was by the suggestion. Would he tell her now that while appearing a lady, she was most definitely not? Or something else that she could perfectly imagine coming from some man who either could not handle the mere thought or joke of her suggestion, or possessed too little humour to appreciate it.

But then he laughed, and she grinned. He was actually thinking about it, she realized as he looked around the room. Hah!

When he asked her 'Why not?' it was her turn to look stunned. While she had been the one to offer the possibility, she had never thought he would actually accept. Dragon was either very confident or very foolish. Or both. The Butterfly managed the hide most of her disbelief behind her mask, not allowing her mouth to gape at him as he had done moments before.
"Well, alright then," she laughed, recovering from her surprise. "You simply.. move away your hand that's at the shoulder..." She did as she said, removing her hand from his shoulder and keeping it further away from them to give him room to spin. "And then you raise your hands up and a bit away to give your partner room and you sort of draw a circle into the air, horizontal to the floor... so your partner, in a way, follows that circle..." The fact that she was trying to teach Dragon something seemed to take precedence over her amusement at the possible reactions from the other guests. Most people would be very focused on their own dance or their own conversation, after all. And when she tried to teach, she tried to do it well. So she was invested. And did not laugh as he twirled under the arch of her arm. She was wearing a big smile, however, at the whole situation. Who would have thought she would end up doing something like this, this evening? "And then you resume the dancing position, like so," she concluded.

"Does that clear things up for you?" the Butterfly asked, and she bit the inside of her cheek not to start laughing.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen

The Gilded
“Hmm?” the Gilded hummed, her mouth already filled with a bacon roll when she heard the Hawk muttering something, but it did not quite seem that he had really spoken to her, perhaps more to himself.

Instead, she found that another guy had come and was aiming for the same delicacy as her.

“These are good,” she said as a general note and only then looked properly to recognise Teal when he expressed his realisation that she was she.

“Ah… thanks,” Gilded smiled brightly at the compliment and looked over Teal’s clothing and mask in return.

When Hawk excused himself, she smiled at him too and called after him as he left: “Enjoy the evening!” Turning back to Teal she wondered: “Not sure what crisis he is about to avert though. Hopefully the tavern is not about to be swallowed up by the ground.”

“I had the first dance and now sating some of my hunger,” she said. “It is nice in my books. And how have you been? I think I glimpsed you dancing as well.”

Red Rooster
“Well, yes… taverns,” Rooster agreed, feeling somewhat guilty of his chosen form of spending – rather wasting – his time. "Music, games, good drink, and food. I find it rather enjoyable.” He could understand, and perhaps even quite expected that Seashell would not go for such fun. Though he could not quite explain the reasons behind his assumptions.

He considered her questions for a while and then shrugged ever so slightly so that it would not interfere with their dancing. “I don’t think most sailors and related shady characters come all the way up to the city, since it is a ways off. So the public kind of seems better. Though not always. This establishment is top notch, though,” he explained his reasoning.

“I am not sure I have thought much about what animals I like. Dogs. Cats. Dunno,” he failed to produce a satisfactory answer and gave Seashell a lop-sided smile. “But say – where have you been? Could you share some adventure story with me and what you enjoyed most about it?” he asked curiously intrigued by her speech of travels and her knowledge of all sorts of birds and animals.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Golden Boy

"Very beautiful," he agreed with a nod, though I would rather attribute the beauty of the room to the women inside of it, and speak of the room and its decorations in different terms. It is a grand place, the Tavern of the Seven Stars, and they have made it even grander tonight. But it would still be no more than a very lonely and sad place without anyone inside it."

He smiled warmly when she spoke of Ithilien. "Now, Ithilien, I could call beautiful. For a forest, unlike a building, is alive. Plants, trees, birds and beasts. But while a city and stone are made more beautiful by the people in it, the woods are often made less so by human presence. Its residents, however, try not to harm it. And with Prince Faramir as our Lord, he sees to its preservation and protection."

Golden Boy led Lady Cat into a right twirl and followed it up immediately by spinning her out - slowly - before drawing her back into their initial position. "Then would it be wrong of me to assume this is your first visit to Minas Tirith? Perhaps you should do a tour, regardless. Add Ithilien to your trip. I can promise it is worth it."

@Karis Ziranphel
The Fairy

She inclined her head with a smile when Karis replied that they would try their best not to... well, 'test their luck' one might call it. "Very gracious of you both," the Fairy said, holding back her amusement with some difficulty. One corner of her mouth curled up when the lady said she thought their identities were no secret from her. "Perhaps you are correct." She did not want to commit herself one way or the other. Frost and Black Velvet? The Fairy noticed the cringe from Macardil - mask or no mask, and she flashed a grin.

"I fear your tall partner does not quite identify with Black Velvet," the Fairy assessed, emphasizing the last word while watching Macardil's expression for confirmation. At the slightest nod from him, the Fairy's attention returned more to Karis. "As for myself, I have no protest against your use of 'Winged One'." Sipping her wine, she turned slightly, as to not have her back to the dance floor, but rather her side. And then noted the Wolf's approach toward the bar, possibly even toward them. "Perhaps," she mused, tilting her head toward Macardil, "you would be more comfortable with something like Charcoal, sir?"

Macardil

Mildly amused by the Winged One's verbal acceptance of Ziran's invitation, Macardil gave the blonde a slight smile and nod. The smile grew minutely at Ziran's reply. As if she were sparring with the best of them in Belfalas. Yet Ziran had told him she got the feeling she knew the lady in navy and blue before them - albeit not in this particular guise. As his lady wife threw around his last name, his shoulders stiffened slightly, but not for long. The cringe he could not hold back upon the nickname 'Black Velvet', was unfortunately noted by the woman before them. He held back a light scowl to have betrayed his response to Ziran's chosen name for him this evening.

And when the Winged One suggested a replacement, he shook his head - just once. "Black Velvet is the name my Lady Frost has chosen for me. And so I will wear it tonight," he said resolutely though not unkindly. Never mind if he did in fact prefer the Winged One's alternative. As if he would ever - in public - claim to prefer the nickname she offered over the one suggested by Ziranphel.

"I saw what happened," he continued after a pause. He need not explain further, he assumed. "Whatever did the young man say to you to draw forth such a response?"

The Fairy

The Fairy seemed to deliberate on her answer to Macardil's question. "He thought to win me over with an accusation, followed by empty flattery and a demand. To end with what sounded like a compliment on the surface, but which in truth betrayed his arrogance and lack of respect toward anyone else that is not his own person." She sipped her wine again. "Needless to say, he suffered a loss instead of a victory."

"While, really, all I did was replace the drink he claimed I owed him."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

There was a sound of commotion and clash behind her, which caused her face to begin turning to glance over her shoulder to see what it was. Sir Fox saw it. It clearly drew his gaze and interest, however briefly, away from her and towards…whatever it had been. She wanted to be in on it too! What was so interesting, huh? But then Sir Fox spoke, expressing how interesting the origins of her feather was, directing her gaze back to him. His clear eyes were back on her. Good. That was how it should be.

What had happened? Had she known, it might have upset her greatly. That her future betrothed was making an embarrassment of himself. And her father had hinted it would be apart of the game for this particular man to seek her out and find her. The clues were quite evident. Now that wouldn’t be happening. But she didn’t know that. In the back of her mind, she still had the expectation, and absolute anxiety, that he would still come and find her. And she would be obligated to dance and spend her time with him, much to her annoyance. She prayed she still had plenty of time to at least enjoy herself first.

But until then…her world only consisted of Sir Fox, so wily and enigmatic. Rarely giving a strange answer, always subverting her words back at her. It made the corner of her lips quirk in a smirk. He was testing her. And she didn’t have to act demure or proper. No one knew who she was, right? She could have a little more backbone.

One of her gloved hands was locked with his, her other rested on his shoulder. Their eyes met and even blinking seemed like it would cause a great fear of missing out on something. ”You would not judge a book by its cover.” She said, acknowledging his sentiment. ”Though the cover does give hints to what may be contained within. As with birds, and their dazzling displays, it could reveal an empty shell that is vain and without depth, or possessing of contents most colourful and varied in their aspects. Feathers could be like a diamond, its many facets containing a great many wonderful things about what it truly is. To learn whether it is empty or not, one simply has to…take the risk of finding out.”

Are you going to find out? Am I? Then she leaned in, as if to share another secret. ”A fox taught me that. Would you go against your own kind and disagree with me?” She asked sweetly, batting her eyelashes at him. But she hoped the ridiculous fact of being taught this wisdom by a fox of the woodlands might be enough to generate laughter than anything else. And if they were laughing and smiling, they were having a good time.

@Pele Alarion

Blossom thanked him for the dance and he gave another curt bow in gratitude to her words. There was certainly something more to her than the type of women he was used to here, but that was all apart of the joys of discovery and meetings. He moved himself to the edge of the dance floor, so as to not interrupt any current partners or movements, and sought out another partner. There. Running a hand down his chest, to smooth out any microscopic ruffles in his garment, he approached his next prospective partner.

Black Lips. He had never seen a beauty such as hers. Her colours were strong, crimson and sable, and yet they were not done wickedly. She had just finished with a partner, a man in teal. She meandered about the food tables, seeking dessert, and he came over, planting himself across from her. He pretended to muse over the desserts, then shook his head, looking up over to Black Lips.

”I wish I could enjoy these, but I’ve been told I’m sweet enough already.” He grinned widely towards her. ”Thankfully you’re here, being the star of the selection, to keep me from further ruination. Would you do me the honour of aiding me by taking me away for a dance?” He asked of Black Lips, pretending to be helpless in the hopes it might make her smile and accept. He extended his own gloved hand, to accept her own if she consented to a dance. His eyes watched her lips intently, just waiting for them to flawless form her acceptance or rejection. Both would be a treat from her.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Captain of Tower

Ziranphel

The Wolf

Ziran leaned into Macardil when he replied ever-so-politely that he would use the moniker that she had given him. As if she would use it in public if it made him wince even a little. She would reserve that to tease him at home. It had merely been the first name that came to mind, but on reflection she could understand why it might discomfit him in this setting. She glanced up at him as he asked further about what had caused the wine episode, and then looked over at the Wolf who had paused a few steps away as if reluctant to interrupt as the Winged One artfully shared the context that had led to her replacing the young man’s wine by applying it liberally to his clothing. “Hmm.” Ziran mused and then smiled. “Most definitely his loss, Winged One. Wouldn’t you say so, cousin Wolf?” She lifted her glass in his direction in acknowledgement and to welcome him forward before taking a sip to hide her amusement.

Wolf had caught the explanation, having just arrived close enough as the Winged lady in Navy and Gold began to speak before he paused. With Ziran’s invitation, he stepped forward slightly and bowed, aiming between the couple and the lady to include them both.”Indeed.” Straightening from the bow, he tipped his head in greeting to Macardil and Ziran before turning his regard to the Lady, who he now saw had fine ropes of jewels adorning her neck to disappear over her shoulders and light veils over the eyes of her mask. “There is as much light in your attire as the sky, as if a spirit of the starry night has alighted among us, O Winged Lady. Such grace as is seen in the fires that light the night deserves care and respect.” He watched what he could see of her face carefully. She could decide he was being just as impertinent as the young lord who had insulted her with such pride.

“Ah the Night! Yes.” Ziran interrupted, speaking first to the Winged One and then turning to Macardil. “A most apt description. I think we should call my husband Dusk instead. For that is when the cool night wind begins to blow, bestowing frosts, clearing away the clouds, and bringing out the wolves to roam in winter, or those dusk singers, the nightingales, in the spring.” Her grin flashed as she amused herself with poetic imagery. It did suit him better anyway.
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Teal Guy

Smiling to have he found someone he knew, Teal could hardly believe how lovely she looked, dressed like this. While it didn't exactly seem like her to be dressed in a fancy ballgown, it was a nice change, nonetheless, to see her looking so elegant and.. well, beautiful. He watched the hawk walk off across the room. He wasn't sure what crisis he meant either, but it seemed more like a personal one, and he shrugged slightly and turned back to Gilded. "Yes, I did," He answered to what she said about dancing. "The lady was very nice, helping me test how well I dance." He said with a little grin.

"Perhaps after a little refreshment, you would like a second dance?" He asked, adding a few things onto his plate. "All this is so amazing, isn't it?"

Seashell

"Yes, a lot of guys do seem to enjoy that sort of thing." Seashell answered with a little shrug and smile. She listened as he spoke of the difference between the port taverns and the city taverns. "Thats good, though." She mentioned thoughtfully, as he added that shady folks didn't usually come to the city. "Shady people tend to start fights, and bring trouble." She was quiet for a little bit as she thought about what he had said so far. Her gaze seemed to drift off to faraway places for a moment.

"Oh, stories?" She blinked and refocused her gaze back to the young man she was dancing with. "Ha.. well, I do have some fun and exciting adventures I could tell about, but I'm not sure they'd be in the right sort of.. tone, for this sort of place." She explained with an apologetic shrug. "Perhaps if I met you some other time, but we'll see." She smiled slightly. "You're right though. This place is incredibly fancy. How do you think they decided on what decorations to use, and food to serve.. and the musicians? They're very good at this, aren't they? I wonder if they work here all the time or just for tonight." She tilted her head at Rooster. "Have you been to this place before tonight?"

@Arnyn

Green Dragon

It seemed that Butterfly did not actually expect him to agree to the twirl. If she was surprised, it was difficult to tell, however. She seemed to hide it well.. much like another lady he had once known. In fact, that, coupled with the blond hair, somewhat reminded him of the other lady. That made him smile slightly.

Though he felt a little silly, switching roles so that the lady was the one twirling him, he didn't mind letting out a laugh as he did it. He was sure they must have looked ridiculous, but he didn't really mind too much. Despite the amusement, he also couldn't help noticing that she actually.. explained how to do it, quite well, and clearly. With words, while she did it.

As he resumed the previous dancing position, he was laughing quietly. "I thought you said you couldn't explain it without showing?" He reminded her with a grin. "I thought you explained that very well, actually. But yes," He added with amusement. "It does clear it up."

Lady Cat

When he spoke of the tavern being beautiful because of those inside it, Lady Cat took another look around at it. "Lonely and sad," She repeated thoughtfully. "Yes. I can see your point." She agreed after a moment. "I have seen such things in other places. An empty room may be decorated beautifully, but it is still.. empty." She shrugged one shoulder lightly.

As he spoke next of Ithilien, Cat Lady returned her gaze to him, and listened intently. He seemed to speak with passion about his forested home, and it seemed to her as if he really loved it there. And.. was that pride in his home? She could appreciate both sorts of feelings, and she nodded slowly. The man was intriguing, and she found it a refreshing change from the usual people she encountered. As he led her into a twirl, she smoothly flowed into it, then smiled at the follow-up spin.

As she slowly spun back toward him and returned to the initial position, she smiled to hear the suggestion that she ought to take a tour and add Ithilien to it. "Perhaps I will do that, at some point. I have never seen such a place." She admitted. "What makes it so much more beautiful by the absence of people?"

@Lantaelen

Sir Fox

The lady's response made him smile faintly. He had to take a pause to think how to sort through that a bit, to figure out how he wanted to reply, and what might be best left unsaid. "I am not opposed to some risk, my lady," He answered after a second or two. He gave a grin then. "Otherwise, life would be rather dull, would it not?" He was not really sure what the lady meant about a fox teaching her such things, but decided maybe it was another mysterious riddle meant to add to the mystique of the evening.

"Have you taken many lessons from foxes, then?" He asked with a little laugh, and an amused glint in his eyes. "Perhaps.. how to be mysterious and clever? And what about swans? I mentioned before that you seemed graceful, as one of them. I think I will call you Lady Swan, if that is agreeable to you." He decided, with a little teasing tone to his voice, but he wasn't making fun, rather enjoying the mysteriousness of it all. "For, though you wear the feather of these dazzling birds you speak of, swans are more familiar to me, and you speak with both the grace and dignity of those noble birds, rather than flaunting bright colors meant to mislead." Besides which, her gown being white led one to think more of white swans than colorful birds from faraway lands, but he didn't add that.

Blossom

After parting from the man in the orange sash, Blossom shook her head lightly in amusement. Carefully tugging her lacy gloves off, Blossom held them in one hand while taking a few delicious looking things from the various trays of food. As she looked around, she observed the same man approaching another lady, further down near the desserts. She smiled faintly to herself, guessing that the other lady would now be hearing a gush of over-the-top compliments. "So full of cheese, that one," She muttered to herself, as she, coincidentally, selected some sort of little dainty pastry puffs filled with cheddar.

Letting out a little laugh under her breath, she decided on what she would call him mentally from this point on. Sir Cheddar, of the cheesy flattery. After a little smile toward a few young people who were near the tables, she took her plate and went to some tables off to one side, where some older people seemed to be content to just observe the dancing. She selected an empty table so she could sit and eat, rather than remaining on her feet the whole evening, between dances.

|

Rosy had begun lurking by the food tables, specifically near where there were several trays full berries. She occasionally took a berry to nibble on, or, if small enough, just pop into her mouth, and watched all the different people swirling around. When another young girl wandered over, having little else to do, the two began to chat together. The conversation was a bit unexpected, but then so was the other girl's outfit. Rosy had simply had to comment on how much she liked the younger girl's dress and mask! It had the look of a forest! If Rosy had not been planning to make sure she was not able to be recognized by those who knew her best, she might have gone with a similar theme herself.

While she had not expected that she might end up making a new friend tonight, Rosy was not opposed to the idea, either. Forest girl was here with her family, she said, and while she was having a fun time so far, the girl figured she wasn't likely to end up dancing with anyone, except maybe her father. But she and Rosy hung out by the food tables together, quietly chatting. Rosy was keeping a sharp eye out for anyone approaching, in case she needed to fall silent and not give away her identity by her conversation. And while she was enjoying talking with her new friend, she was still hoping she might get to dance with someone tonight. She wasn't all that much younger than some of the other girls she saw who had been asked already, and wondered if there was some sort of secret trick to being asked.

When a few people broke away from the dance floor, she watched them carefully, curious if she would recognize any of them. None of those coming their way looked familiar.. except one, but he apparently became interested in one of the girls. Rosy cast her glance around the room once more, debating whether she ought to move to another part of the room, perhaps. Meanwhile, her young friend watched one of the ladies who had come over to the food tables, and frowned in concern.

"I think that lady lost something," She whispered to Rosy. "I think I'll go ask her if she needs help," She decided, then walked over to the lady which had caused her concern. "Excuse me, ma'am?" She spoke softly, but loud enough to get Red's attention over the sound of the music. "I believe you've lost one of your gloves." The young girl explained, looking concerned. She figured it was most likely that the lady had taken it off to get some food, so not to get the glove stained, and had dropped it someplace. "Would you like help looking for it?" She offered sincerely.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Golden Boy

"People cut trees. Make the animals run," he explained more quietly. "I am well aware; for I have cut trees for my own cabin, so I am not exempt. Yet I do try not to void the sanctuary of the forest any more than I must to survive." He smiled faintly. "When I hide in the treetops or amongst the shrubbery, and the forest forgets about my presence - that is when it is at its most beautiful." His smile grew. "Spontaneous and wild."

"But I must not go on and on, given I hold a Lady Cat in my arms. What about your home, my Lady?"

@Karis Ziranphel
The Fairy

Her glass was half-empty from her continuous sips, and she held it in both hands for a while, lowered to her midriff. Cousin Wolf, Karis said. And so the Wolf was able to make a seemless entrance into their conversation. Her eyes narrowed slightly at his flowery speech, as she contemplated a suitable strategy in response. While his compliments on her dress were over-the-top, they offered no insult or demand, nor did they speak of any arrogance on his part.

"And there is as much cunning in your attire as the wolf's soul, as if a bestial spirit is trotting within the tavern, He-Wolf. Such fierceness as is seen in the eyes of the predator deserves care and respect of its own."

Macardil

The hand not holding his drink reached out to her then, a slow smile appearing on the visible parts of his face. Standing by her side still, he leaned in toward her, to mumble close to her ear. "Thank you, meleth."

Straightening, he offered the Wolf, whom he now knew with certainty was Ziran's cousin Thûllir, a clear nod of his head. "Good evening, sir Wolf. Are you enjoying your prowl?" A hint of a smile appeared on his face, remembering how Ziran had told him of the game Thullir and Kaylin would be playing.

That, in turn, caused him to eye the Winged One with a different sort of attention. Might she be the feisty redhead Thûllir was looking for? She seemed taller than she usually was, but that would not be odd given the setting and the possibility of heels. Was it even possible for a redhead to go blonde, he wondered dimly? He had no idea. Best leave the game entirely to those who had agreed to play, he decided. He only wanted to observe one woman this evening, and she stood right by his side already.

He wondered just how much Ziran, her cousin or this Winged Lady would mind if he whisked his wife away to the dance floor for a second dance. But he would restrain himself just a while longer, at least until she had finished her drink.

@Rillewen
The Butterfly

When the Dragon commented on how she had, now, explained how to do it rather clearly, while she'd claimed she couldn't do that very thing just moments before without showing him, the Butterfly let out a thoughtful "hmm". She let out a little sigh. "I did, didn't I?"

"Then I guess I lied."

Holding back a grin, she gave him an innocent look instead. "Now, do you want to try again?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Lantaelen

Black Lips

Black Lips
had set her sights on a round biscuit topped with a layer of thick cream and a blueberry, but hearing a voice nearby she looked up at the man who seemed to be addressing her. What words were those exactly? Of course, she knew the meaning, but somehow they were… not finding the correct description the woman did not respond right away.

Then she reached for the small cake she had looked at and held it up in an outstretched arm, so that it was more or less on the same level with the man’s face. Brows knit in deep thought she seemed to study both the cake and the prospective dance partner. A knowing look appeared in her blue eyes for a moment along with a glint of well controlled laughter, as she finally lowered the cake and ate it, making the Cheddar King wait for her response.

“You know, sir,” she eventually said, trying to hide her amusement as best she could. “This morsel was sweet, very sweet and delicious. Why don’t you take me for that dance and prove that your sweetness is of equally good quality. I could not quite discern only by looking at you, and the words may deceive.”

Getting rid of the empty plate which she had managed to clear of any contents before coming to the desserts section, Black Lips reached out to deposit her black-gloved hand into his awaiting one to let him lead her to the dance floor.

@Rillewen

The Gilded
“She tested you?” Gilded laughed, as she picked a few vegetables to supplement the bacon rolls. “I’m afraid I would fail any test miserably. Just learned how to dance.”

With her collection of food now seemingly complete she moved closer to Teal so talking would be easier as well as instinctively show that he was hers to dance with for the next dance. “This place is amazingly fancy,” she agreed with Teal. “I thought I would not feel good being a part of it but somehow it is not that bad. I love it, actually!”

“And… If you don’t mind me making rookie mistakes and won’t laugh at me, I could dance with you,” she chatted merrily with him now that she felt at ease with someone whom she knew. “After all it has only been one single dance and I am not yet so sure of myself. Not afraid that I’ll make you look like a fool?”

Red Rooster
“I did not say fights don’t happen in the city taverns, Miss,” Rooster said with a small grin. “They do, but perhaps not so often.” He was about to mention the latest fight he had gotten into, though it had not really been his fault, yet he thought better of it. This was not a place to boast of such exploits.

When Seashell said that her stories would not be quite fitting also, Rooster could not help but grin, as he gave his dance partner an opportunity to go for a spin. “Don’t tell me that your stories would be just as unbecoming as my brawl ones,” he then said. “Though if you do not think they fit, then I must go without hearing any.”

He let his gaze roam a little bit as he took in the surroundings once more before he looked back at Seashell. “I bet our King and Queen would make even a barn look like it could compete with the fanciest castles, let alone one of the best taverns in the city,” he said rather proudly. “I’ve been here once or twice, not on ordinary hanging out though. But it has always been nice, though not exactly to this level.”

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Teal Guy

He laughed a little as Gilded responded. "Perhaps tested was not the right word," He tried to think of the right one. "Well, what I mean is, I don't really know how to dance very well, either," He explained. "And I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it well enough. So, she said she would dance with me and see if my skills were well enough. But that is the only dance I've had so far, too."

He tried one of the bacon rolls and gave a little hum of happiness at how good it tasted. "I know what you mean," He agreed when she mentioned how it was not bad. "I do feel a little like I may not be fancy enough. But you look as if you fit right in," he assured her. "Do you think there could be some dances like this to happen back home?" He wondered, thinking it might be fun if they did. At her last comment, he grinned. "I may tease sometimes, but I would not make fun of you."

Seashell

"Oh?" She tilted her head with mild curiosity. "What sort of fights? Surely not the rough and shady folks from the harbor coming up to the city to cause trouble? Would they do that?" She frowned as she tried to think of how to ask what she was trying to find out. "It sounds as if you get into trouble often, sir. Are you usually alone, or do you have help?" She asked with a little laugh.

Glancing around as he did, she tried to get a look at some of the other dancers around them, but there were so many people around, that she could not get a look at everyone. And some were not facing her. She returned her gaze to her own dance partner as he spoke about the king and queen. "I'm sure they could," She agreed, listening as he answered her question about this tavern. "I take it you're from the city, then?" She guessed, realizing she had sort of assumed but then based on the things he said, it seemed that her assumption was confirmed, but she figured she could be wrong.

@Arnyn

Green Dragon

The lady's response brought a laugh in reply. "So you did, I suppose." He grinned, though didn't mind so much. He was too amused by the whole thing to not find humor in it. Having done this now, he had a much better idea of what to do, now. So, when she suggested that he tried it again, he gave a more confident nod. "Alright, let's try it then."

Taking a little breath to quell some of the laughter that still lingered with him, he stepped back as she had done, and raised the hand that held the lady's. Remembering the way that she had done it, he moved that hand slowly in a circle so that the lady would be guided into a slow and steady twirl.

Lady Cat

Listening to the man in gold speak about his forest, Kitty considered that, trying to imagine this place. "It sounds as if you enjoy the forest a great deal." She commented. "I don't mind hearing you go on about it," She smiled softly, looking up at the man. "My home is far from here." She paused, thinking for a moment. "I don't know what to say about my home. It is quite different from here." She shrugged lightly. "Tell me more about the wild forest? You can hide in treetops?" She grinned with slight amusement. "That sounds very.. catlike."
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion
ImageImage
Lady in Red

Red had just eaten some of the fingerfood - with her ungloved hand - when a girl in a forest-inspired dress approached and tried to draw her attention. Wiping her hand on a napkin as she turned to the girl, rather curious of what would have such a young lady (for she was obviously that) come and speak to her, Red turned slightly to face her.

The girl thought she had lost one of her gloves. Without thinking, Red glanced at her ungloved hand, then back at the girl. The girl, who... who was offering to help her look for it.

Lips, painted just as red as her dress, parted. The offer was genuine. So innocent. "Sweet girl," Red said quietly. "Do you know why the nobility wears gloves? Or at least, why the ladies do?"

@Rillewen
The Butterfly

She smiled at his grin and nodded when he agreed to try it again. He spun her slowly into a circle, just like he was supposed to.

"Good! I think I am ready to take you off the hook and cast you back out into the river," the Butterfly told the Dragon. "And I think you are ready to pretend like it's not your second day of learning at all." She patted his shoulder with her left hand, since it was already there, in a reassuring gesture. "If you do not mind, sir Dragon," she said, humor lacing her voice as she pushed away from him slightly, just enough so he would let go. She took a step back and curtsied.

"Good luck," she told him. "I would perhaps advise you consume some food before enjoying another drink. So you can keep those feet steady." She looked over at the food tables. "I am about to get something to eat myself. Your friend is by the tables, as well," she noted, referring to Blossom. "Perhaps you can show her what you have learned, or ask one of the other ladies over by the food to test your newly found skill." With a half-smile, Butterfly started moving in that direction. Dragon could do as he wished.

The Butterfly ended up near Blossom. She offered the lady in pink a friendly smile. "So. How was your dance with the gentleman? Did I miss out, or did I make a fine escape?" Butterfly asked, still wearing that half-smile.

@Rillewen
Golden Boy

She was tight-lipped about her own home. Was it because she did not wish to speak of it? Or because she did not know quite how to? Regardless of her reasons, however, he would respect them. And so he inclined his head at her request, intending to fulfill it.

He told her about the typical trees that could be found in Ithilien, about the way you could climb them and hide yourself if you wanted peace and quiet... or for the hunt. He told her about the birds - the countless birds - and the songs they made. He told her about the way the seasons changed the forest, and that he was not sure which season he preferred between spring, summer and fall. In the meantime, he led her across the floor almost without paying conscious thought, focusing on her face and her eyes and the way she moved with him so easily.

After he fell silent, a crooked smile found its way to his lips. "You are a joy to dance with, Lady Cat. Despite all your secrets." He felt it was only fair to make such a statement, after being so open himself. "How did you learn to dance?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Green Dragon

His grin widened happily as she declared that the twirl was done correctly. "Am I a fish then?" He asked with a little laugh, when she said he was ready to be 'tossed back into the river'. He was amused by the thought, as he stepped back at her signal. "Thank you very much, my lady," He replied with a polite bow. "You've saved me, I'm sure, from much potential embarrassment. And I have enjoyed dancing with you, and learning from you." He smiled sincerely. "I hope the rest of your evening is as delightful as you have made mine."

He thought the suggestion was a good one. He had been getting food when the lady in red approached him earlier, and had forgotten for a time. Now, however.. after glancing toward the buffet, he noticed that she was near the tables of food. He hesitated. While he didn't plan to go out of his way to avoid her all evening, he wasn't really very enthused about going over there just now. So, instead, his glance rested on Blossom, and noticed that she had food but no glass of drink near her. After a moment of thought, he went over to the bar and asked for a couple of glasses of water.

Blossom

She'd only sampled one or two things from her plate before the other lady stopped by her table to ask about the dance she'd had with the orange sash fellow. Glancing up, Blossom smiled to recognize the lady from before, and laughed at the question. Holding up a cheese-filled pastry that she had just broken in half. The cheese in both halves formed a stretchy rope between them, and she had an amused look in her eyes. "The gentleman was cheesier than this delicious pastry," She informed Butterfly, amused, then leaned a little closer as she dropped her voice to a conspiratory whisper. "In fact, I've decided he should be called Sir Cheddar," She shared, and cast a swift glance over to make sure that he was far enough away to not overhear. He was off by the desserts, speaking with the lady with black lips.

Smiling as she turned back to Butterfly, Blossom explained, "The absurd and overelaborate compliments kept pouring out so thickly that I feel there was no way he could be properly sincere with what he said." She rolled her eyes. "It was amusing on the first, but after a point, it seemed.. false and hollow." She shrugged. "But he knew how to dance far better than I do." She added.

Then, curiously, she asked, "And how was your dance, with.. my Dragon friend?" She inquired, catching herself from saying his name. "It appeared that you two were laughing, at least, so I hope that means you were having a nice time."

Lady Cat

The Cat listened as Golden guy went on to talk about all he enjoyed about the place where he lived. It was enjoyable to listen to, and she remained quiet as she kept her attention focused on his face. She did not shy away from meeting his gaze, and as he concluded, she smiled. "I will most definitely add this place to my 'tour'," She declared.

At the compliment about the dancing, she smiled. Though, she noted the mention of her secrets. Was he annoyed that she had not spoken as openly about her own home? She briefly tried to determine what tone had been used when he said it, but soon after he asked her another question. That one made her smile more freely. "I wanted to attend this ball, when I heard of it. So, I found someone to teach me dancing." She answered with a smile. "I believe it was worth the effort to learn."

She considered for a moment before deciding to offer a little bit. "There is not as much beauty where I live. Not like this," She indicated the room around them with a little motion of her head, "nor like you speak of your Ithilien. In my home," She paused, thinking, "there are many large and beautifully decorated rooms, but it lacks.." pausing again, she sought for the right word. "merriment, such as there is around us this evening." She cast a glance around then, to take it in once again, before returning her gaze to him with a smile. "I am enjoying the ball very much, so far."

|

Somewhat confused by the lady's response, the girl found it odd that she had asked what she asked. "Yes, of course," She replied, slightly puzzled that she would ask that. Didn't everyone? But perhaps she didn't know? It occurred to her that maybe some people didn't, as she realized she'd spotted several ladies around here who had no gloves. Trying to be helpful still, the girl began to offer an explanation in case the lady did not know, "It's because-"

She didn't get any further, because at that moment, a man in a black and silver mask approached the two. "Ah, my dear, there you are," He said to the young girl, then smiled cordially at the lady in red. "Good evening, my lady." He greeted Red with a small bow. "I do hope my daughter has not been bothering you?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen

The Gilded
Gilded took a step back again to take in Teal’s costume properly. “You look quite good to me,” she concluded. “Definitely not ordinary, so I’d say you fit in here as well!”

She turned to pick a little piece of meat and ate in silence for a while as she considered Teal’s wonderings about such dances being held at their home.

“Hmmm. I would guess there must be some, for those higher ups. Though I am not sure they would open such an event up to all and sundry,” she shrugged. “Though it would be cool. I suppose can’t really compare Mettare to this since it was held outdoors and all that. What do you think?”

Red Rooster
Rooster peered at Seashell wondering why she was so interested in what his parents call misbehaviour and conduct unworthy of carrying their name. At any rate she did not seem to frown at him when he shared that.

“Well, Miss,” he ventured to reply, therefore. “Often just brawling for mere nonsense because people get upset over little things when they are tipsy. Sometimes it happens to be folks like that, when I venture down to Harlond, not so much in Minas Tirith.” It seemed to him that she was concerned about shady folk coming to the city, so he added: “It is very seldom things like that happen due to such people in the city. And most often than not it is not just myself alone against opponents.”

“Are you afraid they could come here and cause trouble, Miss?” he inquired with a slow grin. “I’m sure there are gentlemen enough here to handle any such culprit. And aye, I’m a proper local.”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

The girl was interrupted by a tall man who was calling her 'dear'. Since he was much too old to be the girl's suitor - and the girl, besides, too young to have any suitors to begin with - Red supposed he was the girl's father. Coming to intervene. Perhaps he did not want his daughter speaking to strangers.

The man's smile was pleasant, and somehow tugged at her memory. Frowning behind her mask, wondering whether she knew the man or not, she took a careful look at him while he expressed his hopes that the girl hadn't been bothering her. "She has not, sir," Red said kindly, slanting her head thoughtfully as she tried to figure out what it was about him. "Your daughter was simply offering to help me look for my glove." She raised her bare hand as proof. "You should be quite proud of your daughter's display of kindness." By the end of this sentence, recognition dawned on her. It was his hair as well as his facial hair, which had not changed, his height and his presence. But most of all it was his voice. She never forgot a voice. Voices were a much better tell than appearances, after all.

What were the odds, she wondered, of finding him here? And while she had just been about to focus on business, too. His business, in fact. It was almost comical.

She returned her gaze to the girl. "Thank you, Miss Forest Nymph." Red leaned forward a little toward the girl, as if she were speaking in confidence, even though the father would be well able to hear. "I will tell you a secret. I did not bring a second glove. As an act of protest. For why must the ladies be gloved when the gentlemen need not be, after all? As if they fear their ladies touching the hands of any other men, while they would not themselves ensure that there was no skin of their hands to be touched in the first place?" Red straightened, smiling at both the girl and the father. "Your father seems to be one of the good ones," she added, indicating the man's gloves. "Very respectful." She was wildly amused, of course. For this girl's father was hardly one of the good ones. Nor had he been very respectful to the girl's mother, for example, when they Red had first met him.

@Rillewen
The Butterfly

She stifled a laugh at Blossom's assessment of the man with the orange sash. "That is a lot of cheese," she said, as if impressed, and nodded in understanding when the lady said it had ended up coming across as rather hollow. "Perhaps the gentlemen is simply looking to enjoy a few things he otherwise cannot?" she suggested. "I can hardly blame a man for wanting to dance with several ladies - after all, every lady in attendance is lovelier than the next, it seems! But perhaps someone should tell him to sprinkle on the cheese rather than drown a woman in it. Yes?"

When Blossom asked about the dance with Dragon, Butterfly smiled politely. "It was amusing. He was polite and friendly. Somewhat insecure about his dancing after your practice yesterday. But I can tell you he did not trip me, nor did he step on my feet." She chuckled lightly. "Do you mind if I sit down with you to have something to eat?"

@Rillewen
Golden Boy

"I'm sorry," he said genuinely when she said her home lacked merriment. "Merriment - joy - is such a big part of what makes life worth living. Maybe you should consider a move," he suggested, trying to keep his tone light and jesting. So Lady Cat would not take it the wrong way.

He was pleased to hear, though, that she was enjoying the ball. "I hope I have been able to contribute to the experience, if only a little." The tune was coming to an end, after all.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Teal Guy

He was pleasantly surprised to hear that he looked alright, and that his costume fit in well enough with the others. "Good, I'm glad. I was a little worried," He looked around. "All the ladies look so lovely. And most of the men seem to have dressed very fancy. I have never been to anything like this before."

As he considered her reply about dances, back home, he nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, very true. I don't suppose we would be invited to any dances in the king's hall." He smiled, thinking for a moment. "What about the cavalry though? Do they ever have dances? I've never heard of anything like that, if they do." But he figured if anyone would have heard of such things, it would be her, right? "Yeah, I don't think this is quite the same as Mettare," He agreed. "I heard that there may be other events throughout the year. So, perhaps we will get to experience those, as well. And we can tell others back home how they celebrate the different seasons here, when we return." He smiled as he looked forward to all of the different things they might get to do while they were here.

Seashell

"Hmm," She considered these words, trying to decide whether there was anything deeper in them or not. Very seldom? She noted the words, wondering if that meant that it did occasionally happen. There were a multitude of questions that she wanted to ask, but after thinking them over in her head, decided against each. And so, she could think of nothing more to ask the man without offering too much information of her own. She held back a sigh.

Smiling at him as he asked if she was worried, she let out a little laugh. "Not for me, no." She answered with a little amusement. "There are a lot of gentlemen here tonight," She agreed, taking a quick glance around. "I wonder how many are from the city, and how many may have traveled here from other places?" She glanced back at him, curious. "Care to make any guesses, sir?" She asked, curious and amused by the thought of perhaps making a game of it.

@Arnyn
|
Blossom & Green Dragon

"Perhaps," She could only guess at the possible reasons, since she did not know the man, but perhaps Butterfly's guess was accurate. "I find it very difficult to believe that anyone would truly compare me as being as beautiful as 'a star upon a mountain' or any of the other silly things that he said." She rolled her eyes but was smiling faintly. "I also doubt that he would say such things if he had seen me yesterday, dusty and weary at the end of a long journey. But, perhaps some other lady will be charmed by his words." She shrugged.

"Oh, I don't blame him at all, either," She replied to the other comment, in case Butterfly had gotten that impression. "I came because my friend begged me, so he would not be the only one here that he knows," She admitted. "I didn't expect anyone to ask to dance with me, so it was nice. But I would far rather dance with another man, who I do not expect to see here tonight." She sighed softly.

When the topic turned toward the friend who was with her tonight, she smiled, pleased to hear that he had been polite and friendly. "I'm glad to hear that," She replied, even more glad to hear he had not tripped or stepped on her. "Oh, yes, please, join me." She welcomed the company with a smile. "I think he was a bit worried about that, but he was so excited when he heard there was a ball, that he wanted to go even before he remembered he had never learned to dance." She revealed with a faint smile; vaguely amused. "I'm glad he was able to learn," She added sincerely. Looking up, she noticed him approaching.

Carrying two glasses of water in his hands, Dragon had not quite expected to find Butterfly at the table with Blossom, but he managed not to let on that he was surprised. He smiled as he approached. "My ladies," He greeted them. "I thought you both might be thirsty," He did not mention that one had been meant to be his, and offered one to Blossom and one to Butterfly. He could go back to get himself another, after all. "I was unsure what either of you would prefer, but water seemed a safe enough guess." He explained.

"Thank you," Blossom smiled at him. "That's very thoughtful of you." She privately thought, with amusement, that his brother would be shocked. "Are you getting any food?"

"Yes, I was going there next," He answered. "Can I get anything else, for either of you, while I'm heading that way?"

Lady Cat

She nodded slightly, thinking. "I suspect some change may come in the near future, but that is only my guess." She replied thoughtfully. "Though, it's difficult to say what such a change would bring, and whether it would be the sort of change hoped for, or not." She shrugged slightly. All of those future matters were difficult to predict, and she preferred to enjoy the moment and make the most of the present time. "If not, perhaps a change of environment would be preferable." She added thoughtfully, as she considered where she would choose to move to, if she did decide to relocate.

Her smile widened slightly at his latter comment. "You have indeed, sir," She answered. "I have enjoyed dancing with you, and hearing about Ithilien. It sounds most wonderful, indeed." She paused, and added, "I hope that I have been able to contribute to the joy of your evening, as well, sir."

|

"Ah, good," He replied, upon hearing that she had not been bothering the lady. The comment about how he should be proud made him smile faintly, and glanced at his daughter before returning his attention to Red. "It is always pleasant to hear praise of one's children," He added with a smile, though he kept his gaze on the lady.

Relieved to hear that she had not been a bother, Forest Nymph smiled slightly to hear such a name bestowed on her. She listened curiously as the lady explained that it was.. an act of rebelliousness. She nodded slowly as she understood. But whatever thoughts she had on the matter, she kept to herself. "Yes, ma'am," She answered with a glance toward her father. "He is wearing gloves," She agreed, and smiled slightly. She refrained from commenting that her mother had told him to. "That's very clever of you, ma'am," She added, in regard to the reason why the lady did not bring her other glove.

While his daughter spoke with the lady, it began to dawn on the father that he had met this woman before. And by the time she spoke to his daughter, in regard to his gloves, it suddenly hit him when he had met her. His eyes widened for a second before he blinked and recovered his expression. He had not expected this. Not one bit. He hardly noticed the girl's glance at him at the comment about the gloves. Instead, he was gazing at the woman thoughtfully. He cleared his throat. "My dear little Forest Nymph," he turned to his daughter, using the name that Red had bestowed on her, "There is a great deal of additional information to be learned, if you take the time to listen to it." He spoke to his daughter, yet he glanced at Red as he concluded. "Don't you agree, my lady?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Night Sky Courtier (Number 4) with the Midnight Sun
Arrival and approach to/the Bar

Gondor had never been short of grandeur, from it’s elaborate trappings fashioned by men to those majestic foundations devised by the Valar themselves. But he might have suspected that both strains of architect had shown a hand in preparing this night. Where even a building, raised up out of wood and stone might be counted so glorious to behold as the heavens. Of course, it was likely the company which added that extra .. something. Without which the finest palace would instill no allure.

The lady was, always and ever, something to see. With a smile more captivating than the most breathtaking horizon, and eyes like gems to put the most expensive decorations to shame. Where it came to her, the show and all manner of scenery surrounding, was just the wrapping of the gift: the spirit within so genuine and compelling that only so dazzling swathe as she had draped in, could ever hope to try and frame it. As the Midnight Sun let her shoulder wrap come away, like mist unveiling the dawn .. he could not keep eyes from her. As though it was the first time. Every single time.

When she looked for him, he stepped up, forgetting the door now that it served no purpose. The lady’s hand, her invitation should not have been such a surprise. And most certainly should not have been left wanting. But as she proposed his escort unto the wider crowd, brown eyes noted with a slow blink that there were others all about the room. Of course there would be, but it was almost as though they never had existed until she wrought them to life with her notice. A delicate hand, she extended, and he leaned in to support it with his own beneath, and graze soft knuckles with his lips, above. The gesture was not lasting, but the contact of their hands retained it’s merger, planting a warmth in the man's heart.

I have heard it said that any beast may stand tame before beauty, and dragons even burn up in an envy of more splendid light beheld,” he confided, as they considered the scene at hand. “But I would not have it said, that it would be anything but my honour, to escort you. Anywhere,” he vowed. “For it is. Always.

The refreshments bar she had requested, to commence their entertainment: a fine place to soak up the ambience and better account for their options this evening. It appeared that they were not alone in so doing, as several folk were nestled thereabouts, in various degrees of engagement. They as much as the choices which others were already supping from, served as a menu of delights to inspire the latest arrivals.

What drink then would warm the midnight sun ?” he sought to know her mind. “I am of a mind to taste a pyment mead this evening. If such a thing is available ?” he turned brown eyes half toward a devout server, who nodded agreeably, but waited for the lady’s thoughts before proceeding any further.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn

Ziranphel

The Wolf

Cunning attire. Bestial spirit. Eyes of a predator. Wolf felt the words catch before dropping into the well of his being to leave ripples. It was a curious description at first meeting, making much more, in his estimation, a connection of his identity with his attire than he had with hers. His blue-grey eyes held steady on her veiled mask with all seriousness for a moment before inclining his shoulders slightly and tilting his head in a slight bow to acknowledge her words while remaining silent.

Ziran watched with amusement, quite pleased when Macardil bent to whisper his thanks at the nickname change. Tipping up her glass of sparkling juice, she took a long drink to distract from interjecting again. Macardil addressed her cousin then, and she hid her lips behind the rim of the glass as they wanted to twitch up in a teasing smile. Thûllir sighed, his shoulders dropping slightly in feigned dejection. How was the prowl? More her game than his. He turned his wolf mask to face Macardil more directly as he reflected on his evening thus far. How could he answer that? “Hmm.” His thoughtful sound rumbled just a little before he spoke. “Fruitless, I’m afraid. I’ve only caught the scent from afar of the Phoenix. Thus far I’ve dismissed many and only found the ashes of a hearthfire rather than fiery feathers, even in disguise.” He cast a side glance at the gold-haired Winged One. “Know you ought of such a bird? I assure you I seek not to devour but to dance until I learn the art of flight.”

Ziran stifled a sound, and took that as her cue to leave before she made things awkward by laughing at his wording. Quaffing the last of her juice, she turned her body to place the glass on the bar and then turned back to run her hand up Macardil’s coat front. “Dancing is a wonderful idea, and I want another turn on the floor with Dusk, if you both will excuse us. It was lovely to meet you, Winged One, and I hope you too may enjoy this night of revelry with a turn or two on the floor or conversation with friends.” Although they’ll need to figure out who you are for the latter. She added to herself before giving Wolf a wink. “And the joy of the season to you this evening, cousin Wolf. May you find your flame.”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

What a well-raised little girl. Not reacting in any particularly positive or negative way to Red's self-professed act of rebellion, yet exceedingly polite. Red smiled at her softly. As she imagined any other lady would do.

The man cleared his throat, which drew her attention back to him. Had he realized who she was, perhaps? Had he realized what they had discussed together a few months ago? Had he realized what they had done together, a few months ago? Red's smile grew a little crooked.

At the man's words, Red's smile evened out again. "Wholeheartedly," she replied. "And the smartest ears are always ready to listen. Not merely at functions like these, but also in other, more mundane places." She shrugged. "Such as the market, or a guesthouse. It all depends on the sort of information one is looking for, of course. And the people involved." Red curtsied. "I will not take any more of your time. Miss. Sir."

It was best not to challenge his position among these people here by trying to force a dance, she figured. Nor was it wise to possibly create trouble between him and his wife, if she was present. This way, she had dropped her hint of where he could find her. For whatever additional information he had to bestow upon her. And perhaps some additional entertainment, as well. Her lips twitched on her way back to the bar. Another drink, first.

@Rillewen
The Butterfly

"Perhaps if he had seen you yesterday, he would have compared you to the wild flowers along the road, or the sunshine lighting the way amidst winter's chill," Butterfly laughed lightly. Sitting down at the table as well, she moved some of the food laid out in the center of the table onto her plate. "Thank you," she said graciously, and somewhat belatedly perhaps, to Blossom's acceptance of her request. She offered Blossom a little grin when she spoke of her friend, the Dragon. "He seems like a spontaneous sort of fellow. Not too many men would be all that excited about a formal event like this. Or perhaps they really are, and simply try to hide it behind what they believe is the 'correct' masculine response," Butterfly pondered out loud, before putting the first bite into her mouth.

She watched the approach of Blossom's friend as she ate, and nodded in thanks when he offered her a glass of water as well. "Thank you," she said for a second time in rather short succession, once her mouth was empty. "No more food for me, thanks," she smiled. "I'm content with what this table has to offer." For now, anyway. The selection was much more limited, of course, but she was not a picky eater. Besides, all the food here tonight was exquisite.

@Rillewen @Pele Alarion
Golden Boy

"You have," he confirmed. "Let there not be a shadow of a doubt on that, my Lady Cat!" He twirled her around slowly for a last time, and then moving to hold both of her hands, stepped back to bow as low as propriety would allow before releasing her hands. "Enjoy the rest of your evening, my lady. Perhaps we will find ourselves circling the dance floor once more before the night is over."

Finding himself rather thirsty, Golden calmly headed for the bar area. He ordered water, this time, because a proper thirst was best quenched with nothing else. He downed the glass in a matter of seconds and asked for another, which he drank from more slowly while surveying the people on the dance floor. Before long, his brown gaze turned to the people around him at the bar. He noticed Meadow and offered her a friendly smile and nod of his head. She was standing near a lovely lady in blue and purple (Plum), whom Golden might be tempted to ask for a dance next.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Karis Ziranphel
Macardil

Macardil's expression grew thoughtful when Thûllir said his prowl had been fruitless so far. "Then Lady Red was... this hearthfire?" he surmised aloud, unwilling to repeat 'ashes' when speaking of a lady. And did this mean he had determined that the Winged One was not a contender anymore, as well? Thûllir's question toward the Lady with Wings made him reconsider. It sounded like the man was still testing the waters, there. Macardil raised an eyebrow. "You could move amongst the nobility of Belfalas with such phrasings, Cousin Wolf," he said with some amusement, adopting the way Ziran had already addressed him.

Speaking of his wife... Was she a mind reader? His blue eyes bore into hers when she turned toward him and claimed another dance. It took a lot of effort on his part to be polite to Thûllir and the Winged One before stepping away. "Yes... Enjoy your evening," he simply added his sentiment to Ziran's, along with a quick bow, before focusing once more entirely on her, his Lady in that frosty blue dress, as he led her away from the bar, twirled her around once before even reaching the dance floor, and pulled her into a very respectable dancing position that was still rendered quite intense by the way he was looking at her.

The Fairy

As the Wolf's gaze stayed focused on her for a while, the Fairy brought her glass back to her lips. At least this way she had something to do other than pretend she wasn't noticing that look.

When the Wolf said his hunt had been fruitless so far, the Fairy gave him a sidelong glance. The Phoenix? One corner of her mouth curled up at that description. He had dismissed many, he continued. The added comment about the ashes of a hearthfire made her raise one eyebrow behind her mask. The question he posed to her next, made the Fairy go still for a moment. How to reply to such a thing?

Luckily, she was given some time for reflection while Macardil and Karis responded. At Macardil's words, her eyes looked around for this 'Lady Red', finding her on her way to the bar. Fairy observed her for a while, as Karis excused herself and her husband and as they took their leave. The Fairy bowed her head to the couple at Karis' parting words, and watched them move away from them for a moment before returning her attention to the Wolf.

"Perhaps I do," she replied at last, with a little smile. "But as the phoenix' sole predator, you should know enough about her to find her by yourself." Finishing her wine, the Fairy moved to put the empty glass on the bar.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
Blossom & Green Dragon

She laughed softly at Butterfly's comment. "Perhaps," She shrugged. "But, somehow I doubt it." She turned to her dragon friend as he inquired about getting them anything else. "No, thank you, I'm quite alright. I appreciate the water, though." She smiled at him and took a sip of it.

Dragon smiled to them both. "My pleasure," He bowed politely to the two ladies, though mainly to Butterfly, before he set off toward the buffet tables. He was feeling quite hungry by now, and munched on the delicious foods on his way toward the bar. After spotting a flash of red moving that way as well, he slightly altered his course to end up at the other end of the long bar, and took a seat near a few others that looked friendly enough. He smiled toward them before turning his attention to the available drink options.

After a moment's thought, he decided to ask for some juice, rather than water. Instead of going back to sit at the table with Blossom and Butterfly, he decided to stay here and finish his plate before finding another lady to ask for a dance. There were a couple of very pretty ladies nearby, he couldn't help noticing.

After Dragon had left the table, Blossom returned to the comment before, that Butterfly had made. "He is certainly a very spontaneous young man," She agreed. "I could tell you a few tales as proof, but he is far better suited for the telling of stories," She laughed. "And, he would know the details of those stories better than I. But, as for whether many other men would be excited about something like this.." She paused, considering as she glanced around. "I don't know. There seem to be quite a few gentlemen who turned up for it. But, it's difficult to say whether they were excited to come, or made to come." She shrugged then, and took another bite of her food.

Lady Cat

A smile curled onto her lips at his assurance, and the twirl that went along with it. Alas, though, the song was coming to an end, and with it, the dance. She dipped into a graceful curtsy in response to his bow. "I would enjoy that very much, sir." She replied, when he suggested the possibility of finding her for another dance, later. Watching him go, she momentarily debated where she wanted to go next. Having already lurked near the buffet. She considered going for another glass of wine, but seeing that he was heading for the bar, she dismissed the thought. Though, briefly, she was amused to consider whether he might ask if she, as a cat, were stalking him.

With a little grin to herself, Kitty instead went to sit at one of the tables, and flagged down a passing server to make a request for the sort of drink she would like.

|

Forest Nymph was mildly puzzled. What her father had commented about learning information seemed.. rather contradictory to what she would have expected from him. She looked at him, trying to make sense of this. He was the main one always speaking against her doing things of that very sort. Why would he then say something that seemed to encourage her learning more about being rebellious?

At the lady's reply to this comment, agreeing with her father, the girl looked then at her, unsure what markets and inns had to do with anything they had been speaking about.

Nodding slightly, the father bowed. "My lady," He replied politely, in reply to her 'sir'.

Beside him, the daughter curtsied as well. She looked at her father, and couldn't help but notice his gaze following the woman for a moment before he turned back toward her. "Did you come over for any particular reason, Father?" She inquired, curious, since he had seemed to pop out of nowhere the moment she had begun speaking to the lady in red.

He cleared his throat. "Well... yes. I came to ask. Have you seen your brother?"

"No," She shook her head. "I don't recognize anyone, really. Least of all him." She did not seem particularly troubled by that though.

"Ah, well." He considered briefly, then smiled at her. "There will be another song beginning soon. May I have the next dance with my daughter?"

"Thank you, I would be delighted, Father." She accepted the request, properly and politely, though she was less than 'delighted' inwardly. Once the next song started, father and daughter went out onto the dance floor together.

|
Hawk & Snowflake

After dancing as they were for some time, a handkerchief emerged from Hawk's pocket, offered to Snowflake quietly and without word. She paused as she leaned the top of her head against his chest, keeping her face to the floor so that her face, particularly her eyes, were less visible to those around them. Then she took the handkerchief quietly and dabbed at her damp eyes, through the eyeholes of her mask. Once she had dried them, she looked up slowly, keeping her gaze on Hawk's. "Sorry," She whispered.

"No, don't apologize," he replied quietly. "You aren't alone, you know.." He confided softly. "I've been there too... More times than I can count," he muttered, but smiled faintly at her. "It's fine, really. Are you feeling any better?"

She nodded slightly. "Do I look.." She trailed off, unsure how to put it. She didn't want people noticing any traces of tears.

"You look fine," He assured her, taking a guess at what she meant. "But.. you'd look a lot better with a smile." He suggested, in an effort to bring one out of her.

She let out a soft little laugh, followed by a quiet sniffle. "Thanks. For.. this." She smiled faintly. It meant a lot, knowing she was not having to deal with this difficult day by herself, as she had for many years.

"Of course. What else are siblings for?" He shrugged. "Just.. please don't pull away from us again." He asked quietly. "I thought we were done with all that?"

"Yeah.. you're right. It's just.. hard." She shrugged, keeping her voice quiet. She was glad that they had kept a little further from the other dancers, on the edges of the floor.

"I know." He answered quietly. "But you don't have to go through it alone. We're here. We care, and we understand." He reminded her. The music was ending about then, though, so he gently took one of her hands and gave her a twirl before it was over. She smiled a little more, as she went along with it.

"Come on," He suggested, as the song came to a close. "How about some water or something?" He figured she might need to rehydrate, and took her arm to lead her toward the bar. Snowflake made no argument about it, and followed along quietly.

On the way, they passed a couple who had just parted from the bar, who easily caught his eye as the man twirled the lady just after parting from the bar. Hawk smiled slightly and waved his free hand in greeting to Macardil and his wife, but felt his current 'mission' was more pressing than pausing to chat. And besides, they looked like they were heading toward the dance floor, so he left them alone.

Choosing one end of the bar that was less populated, Hawk helped Snowflake onto one of the stools before situating himself on the one next to her. "A glass of water, please," He asked the bartender, with a nod to Snowflake to indicate it was for her. After a moment's thought, he then added, "And two glasses of something.. pineapple-y, please." He glanced at her and noted the little smile that came to her face. That was a little better. He turned back to the bartender. "And, no alcohol in either," he added hastily. "Or coconut," He glanced at Snowflake, recalling her repulsion to that particular fruit.

Glancing at Hawk, her smile grew a tiny bit bigger. "Good memory, BroTee." She quietly sipped the water that had been placed before her as the bartender nodded and began to make something.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen

The Gilded

“You know,”
Gilded said with a little chuckle, “You would probably not even be admitted if your outfit was not appropriate according to the dress code. Because I assume there ought to be a dress code for an event like this, and no one in everyday clothes would get in. Right?”

She frowned thoughtfully under her mask when Teal asked about dances in the cavalry. “I am not sure, actually if cavalry dance. I haven’t been invited to any such things. I doubt anything would compare to this though,” she said, happy that she had not backed out right away upon seeing all the fancy stuff. “What? They celebrate more than once a year?”

Red Rooster
“I’d give you a very conservative guess,” Rooster said, as he made sure to guide them both away from the collision course with another couple. “Fifty fifty. I’m sure there are many who have come from elsewhere to see what’s this all about or to show off their own fanciness.”

He looked at her curiously for a while, and then ventured a return to the previous subject. “If you are not concerned for yourself, is it for someone else, m’lady? You surely asked a lot of questions,” he probed though was willing to back off from digging any deeper should he overstep any personal boundaries by his curiosity.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

'And, no alcohol in either. Or coconut.'

The words were spoken from a few stools away, but it got her attention. Red swirled her red wine around thoughtfully in her glass, looking at a random spot on the bar, as if she were not listening in. What followed of the conversation gave her very little, so she took to observing the young man in the Hawk costume. Without being obvious. This is what she did, after all. And she had never been found out before. This youngster or his companion, Snowflake, would not be the first ones.

Red tried to assess his height and build. While the young man had dark hair, she knew better than most how easy it was to fool people with changing that. No. The eyes were a much better way to investigate the possibility. It was difficult, however, to catch a glimpse of his eyes - for the hawk mask cast shade over them that might make them appear darker than they truly were. Red would have to get closer. But if he had brought the young woman here, that could be challenging. What had she called him, earlier? Brohtee? Raising her eyebrows behind the mask, she was forced to conclude that also told her nothing.

She might just have to make polite conversation to find out more.

Ugh.

"Pineapple?" she inquired of the Hawk, sounding intrigued as she slanted her head and smiled at the two young people just a yard or two away from her. "That's an exotic fruit, and not always available in Gondor... unless the White City is perhaps an exception, as the city of the King?" She looked at Snowflake. "That is a gorgeous mask, by the way."

@Rillewen
The Butterfly

"Such stories are perhaps best delivered when the subject is present," Butterfly nodded, wearing a polite smile. "It makes for better entertainment. When they try either to deny everything - or even lay it on thicker." She kept an eye on the amount of food that Blossom had on her plate, and tried to match it rather than eat her true fill.

"If the masquerade was merely a happy coincidence, then what was it that has drawn you and your friend to Minas Tirith?" Butterfly inquired. "You said you live up north, in the Breeland," she recalled. "But I do not think you said what the occasion was for your travels?" She sipped the water the Dragon had brought over earlier. "As for me, I simply live here." She slanted her head and smiled. "No exciting reason for travel to share on my part, I'm afraid."

@Pele Alarion
Golden Boy

Once he'd poured the second serving of water down his throat, he rose from the seat he had half-claimed. He brushed non-existent creases out of his jacket and checked whether his hair was still securely tied into a low ponytail. It was.

Alright then.

It had required some mental preparation. For the lady he was now approaching had... something. There was something about her that was simply different. He could not put his finger on it. So many ladies in attendance were absolutely lovely - mesmerising, even. Yet with the way this particular lady carried herself, Golden was not even sure she would accept!

However, first things first. For the lady in question was located so close to the Lady of the Green Fields, he could not possibly ignore her. "Good evening, ladies." He bowed in their general direction, and smiled at Meadow. "I hope you are still enjoying yourself, m'lady. And that you will not think me rude toward you by offering a dance to a lady so close to you. For I do not think she has graced the dancefloor as of yet, this evening, although I might have missed it."

Addressing Plum next, Golden for some reason felt the need to bow again, but he managed to stay upright. Barely. "Lady Amethyst. Would you like to dance with a man from Ithilien? I promise not to stumble over your feet." The smile on his face was all him. Friendly and charming.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

Lady Swan

”I appreciate you making this risk, Sir Fox.” She countered with a flash of white teeth from a wide grin. He seemed to enjoy the notion she learned plenty from other foxes. She quirked an eyebrow at the new moniker of becoming Lady Swan but she just shrugged. Suitable, if rather straightforward and obvious. Very much on the nose, so to speak. ”Your words are kind, as always, Sir Fox. But it also reveals how little you know of real swans.” But he was not opposed to risking it, as he himself had said.

”They are very territorial. Nice to look at, but be weary if one gets too close. They…can have a rather nasty bite. I know so.” She said with a delicate flick of her eyebrow. Yes, she knew…from experience. She had gotten too close once, in her youthful naivety, and got bitten for her curiosity. Naturally, she wouldn’t dare bite anyone else despite her new moniker. But…having that air of danger about her could be useful, right? As if it might scare off a fox though. Didn’t foxes like to eat chickens, the distant kin of swans and birds? It might be her who was playing with fire here.

The song was coming to an end and it would soon be time to find new partners, continue on with current ones, or step off. ”Fear not, I would never do anything uncouth myself in such fair company. But perhaps I might perchance a risk myself. Would you…care to join me for a brief interlude? A drink, before our next dance? If I might be so bold as to claim you for another dance, Sir Fox.” Anything to keep her from having to encounter him so soon into the night.

@Pele Alarion

King Cheddar

Seeing Black Lips select a pastry and raise it up to examine, as if comparing it’s secrets, perfections, and faults to his own, he could not help but share a grin and a piqued raise of his eyebrow. He had never been compared to a delicacy before and truthfully…he didn’t like it. He knew he would never win or compare with it’s deliciousness. He tried to express how unfair this might be with a bemused expression. And Black Lips seemed to delight in her little test of comparison. He returned her remarks with a noise of amusement emitting from his throat, before speaking.

”You suggest a fair compromise and challenge, my Lady. It would be my delight to match it’s excellence.” He replied, his half-grin a permanent fixture on his lips as he extended his hand, receiving her own sable-hued glove in his ivory-white ones. Walking by her side, he led Black Lips towards the dance floor and gently swung her into position before him, a pair of hands conjoined, the other on her side. And when the tune began, he began, dancing with her in tandem and grace to the beat.

”I see you are graceful as you are wise and pretty, my Lady. Always best to ensure the quality of a thing before you buy, huh? In this case, the merchandise being the honesty of my words.” He said, keeping his gaze locked with her blue eyes, his own sea-grey ones never wavering. ”But was I wrong? So many fair and wondrous things under one roof. And I marvel at where they could all have come from.” He queried of her, asking if she was from the city or from afar, though she might choose to continue to play the game, and not reveal a single morsel of information or truths to him.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Blossom

"Quite true," Blossom replied to Butterfly's comment. A smile came to her face, thinking of that. "Alas, but one of the party involved is much too far away to aid in that story, and the other who was involved is unlikely to offer any words about it." She sighed softly in mock despair. "You will have to settle for whatever my dragon friend would be willing to tell you, if you ever get an opportunity to hear the tale." She shrugged lightly, but refrained from offering her opinions on whether she thought he would deny or exaggerate the tale.

When asked about her reasons for traveling here, Blossom's smile widened slightly as she put down her glass, after taking a sip of water. "Ah.. well, if it doesn't break the rules of the masquerade.." She cast a glance around, as if someone might come along to enforce some rules about anonymity, before looking back at Butterfly. "My daughter decided I needed a vacation, and conspired with a couple of friends of hers.. Dragon, and his brother, to ensure that I would have a safe journey to get here." She explained. "I have heard so much about the white city and how wondrous it is.. and, particularly, I've heard a great deal of praise for your houses of healing. So, for some time now I have wished to see this place for myself, and learn whatever the healers here may know which I do not. Since my daughter provided me this opportunity, I could not pass it up." She explained with a smile.

|
Hawk & Snowflake

When the bartender passed them two glasses filled with golden juice of the tropical fruit, Hawk smiled and offered one to Snowflake. "To.. undying memories," He spoke softly, raising his glass slightly toward her.

Smiling softly, she touched her glass lightly to his. She half wished that the other two of their group were sitting there with them, but she also understood the reasons for why they were not. "And unbreakable friendships," She smiled before taking a little sip.

As Hawk was taking a sip from his own glass, he was mildly caught off guard to hear an unfamiliar voice speak, questioningly. Questioning... their choice of pineapple? He swiveled slightly, and his gaze landed on the deep crimson fabric of the lady's skirts. A color that evoked uncomfortable memories and feelings for him. The sight of that blood-red fabric suddenly made him choke on his drink, and he swiftly set his glass down so not to spill it as he hid his face in his elbow so not to cough at anyone.

Concerned, Snowflake paused and looked at him with slight alarm. "You alright?" She relaxed slightly as he nodded through his coughing, and then she figured he would rather not draw further attention to his predicament. She patted his back lightly and looked with a faint smile past him, at the lady in red. "Thank you," She answered to the comment about her mask. "sorry, it seems that my brother is trying to learn how to breathe his drink," She mentioned with a half-teasing glance at him.

He managed a weak smile. The coughing subsided a bit, and he took a few slow breaths. "Turns out.. it's not very breathable," He went along with the comment with a faint laugh. "Sorry, ma'am," He took the handkerchief that Snowflake offered back to him, and dabbed at the involuntary tears that had sprung to his eyes. "Yes.. pineapple is harder to find, here in Minas Tirith." He agreed, pausing to clear his throat, and took a slow breath in, with his eyes closed, trying to make sure he was totally done coughing. "It has a personal significance for us, though."

@Pele Alarion

Teal Guy

He laughed quietly at her pointing out the dress code. "True, I guess you're right." He agreed, smiling. "I'm glad they didn't turn me away! That would have been very disappointing. And then I would not have been able to ask you for a dance." He smiled at her.

Finishing his food, he set the plate on one of the trays. "I don't know about dances like this. Perhaps.. something like Mettare? I don't know. We will have to ask our local friends." He shrugged, but heard that another song was starting up now. "Would you like to join me for this dance?" He asked, offering a hand to lead her to the dance floor, if she was ready.

Seashell

She took a glance around, thinking about the guess that he had made. "Hmm," She scanned what she could see of the faces near them, but nothing told her much about them. She was not from the city, and had never been there before, so none of these people would look at all familiar to her. "I wouldn't know, unfortunately." She smiled back at him.

But, when he asked her directly about whether she was concerned for someone, her smile faded a little. She hesitated, swiftly debating whether to answer or evade that question. After a moment she chose. "Is it that obvious?" She asked with a faint laugh, but then gave a slightly apologetic smile. "I am, actually." She admitted softly. "I came here hoping to find a friend of mine, tonight," She let out a little sigh. "I really need to find him, but I can't exactly go around asking for him by name, you know? I know he was last known to be living in this city, and I know he enjoys music and dancing, but.. I don't even know if he's here, tonight."

@Lantaelen

Sir Fox

The Swan's comment, that he didn't know much about swans, made him smile quizzically. "Oh?" He asked, curious what she would say. Ah, yes, the biting. He had heard plenty about that, but he decided to let her believe that he did not know. "Is that so?" He answered, as if surprised to learn this. "Well.. foxes have also been known to bite, if they feel threatened." He commented, then gave a smile as if in relief as she assured him that she would not be doing any biting. "Ah, good. You had me afraid for a moment, Lady Swan." He grinned, almost teasingly. "Neither would I," He made sure to add, in case that was not obvious.

As the song neared its end, he decided to end the dance with giving her another slow twirl, then afterward let her slowly unwind to the end of his arm's length before she would return to the previous position. He stepped back and bowed politely to conclude the dance. He was mildly surprised that she requested another dance with him, as well as going to get a drink first. He was trying to keep track of how many dances he had, so not to exceed the proper number of dances to have with the same lady. He would not like to give her the wrong impression, nor keep anyone else from getting to dance with her. But he didn't mind taking a break for a drink, and smiled. "As you like, my lady." He replied to her request, and offered his arm to lead her toward the bar.

"Do you have a particular drink in mind that you prefer?" He inquired, as they left the dance floor and headed for the bar. His eyes sought out the bartender with whom he had spoken earlier. While it was a bit further to go to the far end of the bar where he was working, Fox headed that way. They passed a few other people seated at the bar, on the way. One guy that they passed had started coughing, but he seemed to get his airway cleared soon after. Knowing how annoying, as well as a bit embarrassing, such a thing could be, Fox tried not to pay attention and went a little way past that small group, to stop by the last bartender of the long bar. He smiled at him, making eye contact with him briefly.. to make sure he remembered their earlier conversation.

"Some wine please, sir," He smiled, hesitating briefly to think swiftly of what to order for the lady, as she had left the choice with him. He switched back to common speech, in case the server didn't know Sindarin. "I think the lady would enjoy something light, with a fruit or berry type of flavor to it..?" he suggested with a glance at her to make sure that she was alright with that choice. "Or, would you prefer white? With floral notes, perhaps?" He added, looking at her to give her the choice, as he really had no idea what her flavor preferences might be. Once the Swan had given her answer, he gave a little nod and turned to the bartender. "And.. I will have some of that red wine that I was admiring earlier," he decided with a smile to the bartender.

With a nod, the server smiled. "Very good, sir." He poured Swan's chosen wine first, then Fox's.

"Thank you, sir." Fox smiled and breathed in the aroma of the drink while he waited for Swan to try hers. Once she had, he took a small sip of his own glass.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

Captain of Tower

Ziranphel
It gave Ziran a thrill that Macardil so quickly acquiesced to her request and her laughter spilled out when he twirled her on the way to the dance floor before drawing her into his arms. It was still such a marvel and delight to her when he responded with exuberance, even veiled as it was here amongst others. He was so insistent on his calm and restraint that actions such as the twirl and the way he moved them across the floor in tandem spotlighted his good mood.

A smile played across her lips as she gazed up at his dusky mask of blue and black that made his eyes seem an even darker blue and more intense. “I figured we should get out of the way so Cousin Wolf could do his own investigating or dancing without my interference, with the benefit of dancing once again with you.” Ziran attempted to explain and slightly distract herself, but the slightest of flushes spread across her features, which she hoped could be explained away by the dance. That look.

The Wolf
She seemed to still at his question, and he didn’t respond with more than the very slightest movements of his head in affirming Macardil’s statement, but then Ziran/Frost called his attention as she excused herself and Macardil to go dancing. He took the time to bow his head to them both in thanks. “Same to you both.” It was good to see such brightness and joy in both of them, which seemed quite apparent to him despite their chosen dark blue attire, and hearing Ziran’s laughter float back to them brought a wistful smile to his lips.

Wolf looked back at the Winged Lady, with the varied jewels on her dress catching the light, as she shifted her attention back to him momentarily. His smile smoothed away to disappear at her words, however. Once again she emphasized the terms predator and prey, and they didn’t sit well with him at all. Indeed, the terms grated at him. She seemed familiar to him and yet foreign as well with these words she chose. They troubled him more with the likelihood she knew of him in some way and yet still chose them.

Silence held his tongue as she returned her glass to the bar, but then his voice came low and slightly rough in reply to her alone. “Pardon me, Winged One, but the Phoenix will be found only when she chooses to reveal herself to me, which I trust will be by the end of the evening if I do not discover her before, but I have no ill intent towards her. I like not these terms you use, despite my guise of a wolf tonight. For her to be prey would mean the one I seek is of no consequence and unable to resist, and that as a predator I would be one who would abuse or despoil. That was not my intent with this guise, nor do I seek my lady Phoenix as one who is less than my match in any way. She set the game that I must seek her out, and a wolf watches and guards their pack in addition to seeking or patrolling.” He had meant to ask her for a dance but for now kept his hands at his sides.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Karis Ziranphel
The Fairy

The Wolf is displeased with her.
The Fairy let his words sink in as she watched him. "You are incorrect on multiple fronts," she replied, reserved but with a hint of something bleeding into her voice that almost made one think she was rolling her eyes behind her veiled mask.

"But while I have no sure means of persuading you of the intentions behind my words, I may offer for you to ponder that I merely referred to you as a predator considering your guise and the game that is being played. I never even put the word prey to this so-called Phoenix, nor indeed would I if we were speaking in earnest."

She put a hand on her hip as she continued. "But as the game is played, I might as well have. Because the terms as such are to be played with, too. The Phoenix could be a Wolf's desire. A Wolf's treasure. Or any other term that you prefer. A Wolf should still hunt for her, regardless. And not stand by the sidelines until his lady chooses to reveal herself, as you put it. Unless he has lost interest in his flame," she added pointedly, using the term Frost had chosen earlier.

The Fairy turned away from the Wolf, intending to explore the food next.

Well. That was less than ideal.

Her steps were slow but resolute, giving her movements an air of confidence and grace, and the wings attached to the jewelry roped along her otherwise bare back lifted gently in the displacement of air as she walked part way along the bar, intending to vent off toward the food tables just after passing the gentleman in a white and gold suit.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn
Image & Image

The Meadow & Plum/Amethyst
Plum and Meadow exchanged a few polite phrases of light chit chat but otherwise did not engage in any deeper conversation after the whole scene of wine being poured all over that pompous goat. Thus, Golden’s address to them did not come as any interruption.

“It is surely an enjoyable evening,” Meadow claimed with a smile. “And I would by no means think you rude, sir! If anything, rather considerate.” While she had greatly enjoyed dancing with Golden, surely she could not just hang onto him the whole evening. “He is an excellent dancer!” she hastened to assure Plum.

“Is this statement true, the Golden Star of Ithilien?” Plum, now turned Amethyst, asked looking from Golden to Meadow and back again. “If that is so, I would assume that you would surely not dance on my feet. In which case, I would have no grounds to reject your offer of a dance.”

She left her seat with such a grace as if she were rising from a throne to show her readiness to take to the dance floor.

@Lantaelen

Black Lips
Even though she had not held back on teasing Mr Cheddar, Black Lips noted that he appeared to take it in stride and it had not left him speechless. Her hand confidently resting in his she let him guide her to the dance floor, and then found herself slightly regretting that she had not chosen a dress with a slightly fuller and more flowing skirt. It would have added a little more flourish to any faster turns.

“That is a lot of compliments all at once, good sir,” Black Lips allowed herself a gentle laugh as she rested her left hand on his shoulder and let him guide her into the dance. “Perhaps you can excuse my wish to dig deep even though you are right, and the evening is wonderful, and all the people are dressed in their best and above.”

She did not shy away from his gaze, yet wondered how long till he would see past her disguise, and how long she could still play the chosen role without being discovered.

“I am sure guests have come from near and far,” she said lightly. “And some even both from within the city and not yet of it.” She paused a while and then asked, "Did you come to enjoy this event, sir, or perhaps tend to other business mostly?”

@Rillewen

The Gilded
“No, there would be no chance of dance,” Gilded laughed both at the conclusion and the rhyme it formed. “I doubt you would come looking for me in the city just to dance on the streets, right? Or would you do that? Imagine dancing down all the levels from the Houses of Healing and then all the way back again?” She laughed some more at the silly random idea and the imagery it created in her mind.

She then quickly finished off the few bites that were left on her plate, carefully wiped her lips, and turned towards Teal, placing her hand into his.

“But really. Don’t laugh at me, all right? If I do something awkward,” she probed, glancing at him.

Red Rooster
Rooster studied Seashell as she seemed to debate answering his questions in her mind, and did not rush her as he simply paid attention to choosing their dance path.

“No, not obvious, Miss,” he replied when she had apparently chosen to disclose a little bit of what was bothering her. “It’s just that your questions were rather aimed at a single topic, and I thought it interesting.”

He tilted his head slightly, as he looked at Seashell again, from a different angle. “Wait… you did not agree to meet, and you simply hope to run into him?” he asked. “You know… trying to find someone in a masquerade where people disguise themselves… You’ve chosen a daunting task. If I knew who to look for, I’d help you a bit.”

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

It wasn't long before the plate of food he had was empty, and his juice quickly followed suit. These foods were quite delicious and dainty, much different from the kind of food he was used to having. He decided he would have to let his brother know what he missed out on.

After making sure no crumbs or any other traces of food had lingered in his face, beard, or clothing, he put his napkin down and took a look around. This section of the bar had emptied somewhat since he came to sit here, and he observed the gold and white man leading the purple and blue dressed lady toward the dance floor. The other, in green and gold, remained, and he smiled slightly. He was glad, for he had considered speaking to her, but had figured it might be best to wait until he had finished eating, since he often was chided for such things.

He had finished now though, and she had not been asked for a dance yet. He took a slow breath in, then rose from his seat. He paused to adjust his mask and make sure it was properly in place, then approached the lady in green and gold with a friendly smile. "Good evening," He greeted her. "May I ask that you honor me with a dance, my lady?"

Teal Guy

The thought of dancing up and down the streets here in the city made him grin. "I wonder if they have laws against such things here?" He would have to ask someone about that, and laughed lightly at the idea. Imagine getting in trouble for dancing. He shrugged though when she asked whether he would come looking for her to dance. "Maybe I would," He smiled.

As they set off for the dance floor, he glanced at her with a grin. "I promise not to laugh at you, if you return the same promise," He declared with amusement sparkling in his eyes. "How does that work for you?"

Seashell

She nodded thoughtfully as he explained what had given away that she was searching. She'd have to be more careful next time, and yet.. how was she supposed to find out anything? It was frustrating, but she managed not to sigh out of frustration. When he asked that she had not agreed to meet her, she smiled faintly. "No.. afraid I couldn't," She answered, with a nod to confirm that she hoped to run into him.

The next comment made her smile. "Well, I appreciate the offer to help," She answered with a small tilt of her head. "But, I don't know who you are or whether I can trust you. For all I know, you could be one of the causes for my concern. So, you see? It's.. difficult." She shrugged slightly. "All I really know about you, sir, is that you are not the one I hope to find." She offered an apologetic smile though, in case that was a disappointment to him. "Sorry."
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain of Tower

The Wolf

Wolf watched with growing curiosity as she didn’t just correct him but propped her fist on her hip and verbally put him in his place with an over-the-top accusation that he was standing by the sidelines until his lady chose to reveal herself. His eyebrows rose behind the mask and his steely eyes hooded slightly as he watched her. Temper. Some of her points were well said, but that accusation did not fit with one unconcerned with the results of this game, and that he had seen walk into the ballroom of the tavern while he was dancing on the floor. He had been in the process of eliminating the dancer in red as even the remotest of possibilities. Her tone may have been mostly exasperated, but he seemed to have hit a nerve with her unless he has lost interest in his flame comment. His curiosity was enough to quell any immediate words despite his spirit rebelling at her accusation.

He watched her turn and slowly walk away from him, his now narrowed eyes observing her movements for hints of familiarity. Noticing that she was approaching the man dressed in white and gold, he recalled his earlier impression from the man that had reminded him of the Lieutenant. He didn’t think he would see noticeable similarities, but couldn’t help comparing the Winged One to the Golden man all the same, from the shade of hair to the way she moved. He had wondered about the Butterfly attired lady as well, but his view of that one had often been obscured or at a greater distance than this Winged One. Her wings framed and drew his gaze to her bare back as they lifted with her walking, and he realized she was rapidly getting too far away for him to examine her more closely in any way.

Smooth and deceptively fast strides had him just off and behind her elbow in moments as he fell in step to her right side. “Forgive me, m’lady. Your points are well taken. Would you do me the honor of your company a little while longer?”

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
The Meadow

Meadow
was sipping her sparkly drink and watching people dance, and when she turned her attention back towards bar her eyes landed on Green Dragon who was already by her.

“Good evening, sir Dragon,” she responded politely “I would happily oblige.”

She emptied her glass without undue haste as befits a lady, and set it down on the bar with a thanks for the attendant who picked it up.

“I am ready to follow,” she confirmed sliding off the stool with almost a light hop.

The Gilded
“Might be worth finding out what is not allowed. I have half a mind to roll down from the top in a wheelbarrow,” Gilded said, this being the second best idea after dancing in the streets.

She flashed a hearty grin at Teal when he required a return promise.

“All right. I will not laugh at you. Only if we are both amused at some thing or other,” she said as solemnly as she could. “What do you think?”

Red Rooster
Rooster was briefly disappointed that Seashell decided that she could not fully trust him, but then again it was quite true. Neither of them knew much about each other, and he could not demand her to trust him.

“Probably you are right, and I am not the one you seek, though neither am I a bad guy” he responded with a smile. “I know nothing much of music, and I am also not sure that I have met you before this evening. Though it has been a pleasure to have this dance with you.”

It seemed to him unfair to hold her back for too long, so he asked: “Should I let you continue your search, or would you like to dance some more, Miss?”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

He hadn't even looked up to her chest or face yet and he was already choking on his drink? Red almost snorted at the new record. Of course she figured the actual reason was unrelated. Coincidence, most likely. But that possibility didn't nearly amuse her as much, so she rather entertained the other.

Smiling at Snowflake, Red shook her head. "No need to apologise." A small grin appeared beneath her mask. "Some of the most interesting skills are learned by trying something new and failing the first 300 times or so. We just have to accept that these things have a learning curve." It was teasing, perhaps, but it was also good-natured. When the Hawk dabbed at his eyes, Red narrowed hers. Darn. She couldn't get a good look from here, not with the mask casting that shade over the young man's eyes. Red looked between the Hawk and Snowflake. "You two are brother and sister?" Her smile seemed genuine. "That is so nice. Two siblings coming to a dance together. And looking out for each other, right?"

When he said the pineapple wasn't easy to find here but that it had personal significance, Red nodded. "Well, I won't pry any further about that, if it's personal," she smiled, before her face went blank. "Oh..." As if she'd spotted something that needed her immediate attention, she stepped away from her stool while picking one of the cloth napkins lying along the bar. She unhesitantly approached the Hawk while explaining: "Your white trim, sir - it has a stain..." By the time the last word left her lips, she was already dabbing at the fabric.

"There," she said after a few dabs, sounding pleased. She dropped her hand and looked at him apologetically. "All good! I'm sorry, it might have been a trick of the light, even..."

@Rillewen
The Butterfly

Her words in response to the possibility of hearing a story were measured. Whether it was a natural or practiced reserve, however, was hard to tell. "We will see. I think your Dragon friend is more interested in honing his dance skills this evening than telling stories." She nodded in the man's direction as he was leading Meadow toward the floor. Butterfly smiled at Blossom. "A Dragon on a mission."

Hearing about how Blossom's daughter had made Blossom's trip possibly, Butterfly had to stifle some light laughter. "That is very kind of your daughter," she agreed. "Very considerate, especially if you do not manage to travel much," Butterfly guessed as she sipped her water. She slanted her head. "Though I hope she wasn't maybe trying to..." Butterfly shrugged. "I don't know. Have a bit of free rein?"

Hoping the lady would not take offense to her suggesting the possibility, for it surely was not meant in a bad way, Butterfly twirled the water in her glass around. "But you said something earlier, about having someone you would like to dance with the most? But that he is not here? Or did I misunderstand?"

@Pele Alarion
Golden Boy

He'd smiled at Meadow upon her reassurance that he wasn't being rude, and almost beamed when the lady called him an excellent dancer. The way Lady Amethyst called him the Golden Star of Ithilien, however, almost made him blush! But she left him no opportunity to respond that he certainly was no star, before she went and accepted his offer and was already rising from her seat.

"You have truly chosen the colors of your dress wisely, my Lady," he said with an additional bow as he held out his hand for her. She put her purple gloved hand into his, and Golden was almost glad the lady was wearing a mask, for he half suspected his legs might have gone a bit wonky if she hadn't been. "You move with the grace of a queen," he complimented her genuinely as he led her toward the dancefloor. "And purple is a royal color, isn't it?" he explained his earlier words.

"Are you a seasoned dancer, Lady Amethyst?" he asked her as they assumed a perfectly respectable dancing position and he started them off into a set of simple steps, just in case she were not.

@Karis Ziranphel
Macardil

His lips quirked when a slight blush swept her cheeks, and ignored the comment about her cousin. "Are you still not used to it, Ziran?" he asked as he had them stepping and turning to the notes of the music. He brushed his thumb over hers. "I will be looking at you like this nearly every occasion that comes my way," he warned her gently. "As long as you do not offer any protest." He twirled her around, and upon her return to his arms, he closed some of the distance between them, although they were still dancing apart. "And even if you did, I am not sure I could quite stop myself. Not every time." He fell silent for a while then, to simply enjoy the dance and the feeling of having her in his arms like this, in public, while it was perfectly acceptable.

"Have you recognized anyone beyond Thûllir?" He finally asked, just loud enough to reach her ears above the music. "I have only spotted one other whom I know, so far." His eyes found his friend by the bar - close to the Lady in Red whom Thullir had apparently dismissed as 'a possible Kaylin'. "In the Hawk mask."

@Karis Ziranphel
The Fairy

While the Fairy's hair color was very close if not identical to that of the Golden man, and while they both possessed the confidence to wear their masks and customes rather than have the disguises wearing them, they did move differently. The Fairy's movements were graceful and fluid, as a warrior's might be, while the Golden man's were more languid and steady, as a crafter's might be.

She looked sideways when the Wolf appeared at her right hand side. With an apology, and a request.
What might he really be thinking of her now, though?
The Fairy did not halt on her way to the tables as she responded calmly in that specific Dol Amroth accent. "If you wish, you may join me, yes. I intend to browse the food offerings next... So I apologise if you happen to have already eaten. I realize I was on the later side with my arrival."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

He smiled, waiting patiently while she finished her drink and then offered his arm once she had declared that she was ready. "Are you having a nice evening so far, lady of Green and Gold?" he asked with a smile. He found it interesting to notice that her color scheme was well-matching with his own. "Your colors bring to mind a lovely, bright, and sunny meadow," He couldn't help informing her with a smile.

As he led her toward the dance floor, he was swiftly reviewing in his mind all of the things he had learned so far about dancing. He turned toward her after finding a spot on the floor. "What may I call you for the evening, my lady?" He asked curiously as he put one hand lightly at her back, the other holding her hand. When she had indicated that she was ready to begin, he would lead them into the dance.

Teal Guy

A little laugh was inevitable at Gilded's idea of rolling down the streets in a wheelbarrow, and he grinned slightly as he led her toward the dance floor. "We will certainly have to ask our local friends whether such a thing is acceptable," He declared. He had a suspicion it would not be agreeable to the local law enforcement, but one could never be sure about such things until they asked, right?

Reaching the dance floor, he smiled as he assumed the position for dancing. "That sounds like a plan," he agreed with her suggestion. If something amused them, that they could laugh. "I definitely never expected I would end up at some fancy ball, but it has been fun so far." He mentioned, smiling. "I only wish I was more familiar with this sort of thing, so that I could dance more properly." He added, as someone not far away twirled their lady partner.

Seashell

Her smile went from apologetic to a more pleased sort, as he declared he was not a 'bad guy'. "I would hope not," She answered. Of course, to some, it was all a point of view, she thought, but didn't say so. "I very much doubt that I have met you before," She agreed with him. ""You may know nothing of music, but if you enjoy hearing music.. it is possible you may have met, or seen, my friend at some point..." She frowned thoughtfully. She couldn't think of how to find that out without revealing too much about her friend. For, if Rooster was a potential danger to her friend, then she would not like to cause further trouble for him in any way.

"I've enjoyed the dance as well," She replied with a genuine smile, and hesitated briefly as she considered. "I do need to find my friend though, if he is here." She decided in the end. "As quickly as possible. Nothing against you, of course, you've been very nice." She added, smiling. "Thank you, sir."

@Arnyn @Ercassie

Rosy Pink

There were only so many berries she could nibble on without beginning to feel like she was loitering too long in one spot, or possibly hogging the tray of berries, though she made sure to move out of the way of anyone who might like to get any. After Forest Nymph went to speak to the woman in red, Rosy had watched her go to the dance floor with a man whom Rosy presumed was her father. She took a few blackberries before moving down the buffet line toward other delicious looking foods, while popping a berry in her mouth occasionally.

Some laughter nearby drew her attention. Turning, she expected to see someone she knew, but instead, tilted her head as the person she saw did not match with the one she had expected to see. With a soft 'hmm', she watched Teal and Gilded head toward the dance floor, then decided she was a bit thirsty. She strolled past the buffet tables thoughtfully, and approached the bar. Passing a fairy and a wolf walking together, she offered a small, friendly smile toward them both, but continued on her way.

Approaching the first available server, ending up a few seats away from a couple of gentlemen in matching black and gold attire, she smiled politely at the server. "Do you have anything.. um, with strawberries? But without alcohol?" She asked hopefully. She'd seen people with a lot of different types of drinks, from wine to juice-looking things to water, and was curious what they might have.

With a smile, the server mixed up a drink that was pink in color, tasted of strawberries, and even had a few slices of strawberries in it.

Intrigued as the server passed it to her, she smiled as she took a sip. "Delicious," She declared. "Thank you, sir." Each time that she spoke, it was with an accent which sounded like she may have come from Rohan. Much like Gilded girl's accent, though not as strong.

@Arnyn

Blossom

She smiled, glancing toward where Dragon was asking a lady in Green and gold to dance, and soon after, leading her to the dance floor. "Thank you for helping him," She mentioned quietly with a little smile, showing she had noticed some of the aid the lady had offered to her friend. "He's a very nice young man. I tried to help but I hardly know how to dance, myself." She admitted. "To be honest," She leaned in a little closer, "my niece actually went to the library here, and found a book about dancing and tried to teach us both by reading what it said to do," She explained with amusement twinkling in her brown eyes. "But it seemed to be written in an outdated version of Sindarin, and it was rather difficult to understand even for those in our party who could read the language at all." She sat back with a little laugh, and sipped her water while Butterfly asked her about her daughter.

"Oh, I doubt she had any ulterior motives like that," She answered without much concerned. "She and her husband live on their own, and she's agreed to take on a lot of responsibility just so that I could go on this trip. It was definitely very considerate of them both, actually." She nodded, agreeing with that part. "I suppose, because they've had adventures and travels for some time now, she realized that I was a bit left out, because I could not leave without anyone to take care of things in my absence," She mentioned thoughtfully.

She tried a small, dainty food item which she was able to chew and swallow while Butterfly was asking her next question. Blossom gave a little nod to confirm this was correct, and took a small sip of water. "Yes, there is someone special to me," She smiled softly. "But I don't expect to find him here." She paused. "The last that I heard from him, he was heading to Minas Tirith.. so it's possible he may be in the city somewhere. But... that was in the spring. Nearly a year ago now," She explained, with a mildly troubled look. "I have no idea whether he's even still here, but if he is.. well, I somehow doubt he would be here, unless someone dragged him," She explained, with a faint laugh. "He isn't really the type to want to attend something of this sort.. Which.. technically, I suppose I was 'dragged' too, else I would not have come either." She shrugged. "Perhaps he's already left to return to the north, and will come looking for me only to find that I came here, and we missed one another along the way." She sighed softly, preferring that option to another alternative; that something may have happened to him.

"What about you, Miss Butterfly?" She asked, realizing she had talked a lot about herself. "I know you turned down the Cheddar King, earlier," She mentioned with a grin. "Yet, you agreed to a dance with Sir Dragon. Are you here only for the buffet and fun of dressing up, or do you hope to dance with anyone else tonight?"

@Arnyn
|
Hawk & Snowflake

Snowflake smiled slightly as the lady went along with the little teasing comment. "A learning curve, yes," She glanced at Hawk. "But I think he's given up on trying to become a fish, haven't you, Bro?" She asked him.

"Definitely," He agreed, taking a slow breath, then smiled at Snowflake. "Much more fun to catch fish, I think." He grinned with a little motion toward his mask, as if to indicate he was referring to being a hawk, and the fact that hawks hunt fish at times.

"Yes, we are," Snowflake then confirmed the lady's apparently surprised inquiry that they were brother and sister. She did not elaborate on any technicalities involved with the situation, as there wasn't really any need to.

"Of course," He answered to the latter part, just before the woman noticed some sort of spill on his clothes. He blinked, looking down at himself to try and see this spill as she dabbed at it with a napkin. He didn't see anything, but then, it was difficult to see much with the mask blocking some of his vision. "Oh.. thank you, ma'am," he told the lady, politely. Slightly uncomfortable, despite her being friendly, he cleared his throat and picked up his drink. "There must be something on the counter I guess.. I'll move over here," He decided, with a little polite bow to the lady. With that, he went around to the other side of Snowflake and claimed the stool there.

He settled onto the new stool before adding on to the comment concerning them looking after each other, "Well, I wouldn't be much of a brother if I didn't look after my sis, would I?" He smiled at Snowflake. "And keeping her company, since her date isn't here yet." He added with a little teasing smirk toward Snowflake.

Snowflake gave him a look that was somehow both reproachful and dubious, and seemed to suggest rolling her eyes, all at once. "He's not my date," She did roll her eyes then, and took a sip of her drink. "Besides, I don't think he's even coming." She added in a near mumble

"Oh.. I think he'll come." Hawk disagreed as he focused his gaze down toward his own drink. His smile hinted at something like smugness, as he took a sip of juice.

Catching his tone, Snowflake then turned to him with suspiciously narrowed eyes. "What did you do?" She asked slowly, with suspicion.

"Me?" He turned toward Snowflake, and his voice sounded as if he were shocked that she would accuse him of something. "I didn't do anything." He assured her innocently, holding his hands up slightly in a sort of 'don't look at me' sort of gesture. "I just can't help but believe that your not-boyfriend will be here." He grinned down at his glass, then looked briefly off toward the door, wondering though, when the guy would be arriving, since he wasn't sure how long he could keep Snowflake from deciding to leave.

"Mhmm..." She sounded highly skeptical with that little humming noise, and watched him for a moment, suspicion growing. Then she glanced at the lady in red, so not to ignore her since she had sort of joined their conversation. Snowflake wore an almost exasperated sort of expression, as if seeking some understanding from a fellow female. "He thinks it's also his job to tease his sisters," She explained, rolling her eyes.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn
Amethyst
She had only selected a matching mask and dress all in good style and had not intended to work on a very detailed and careful disguise, yet she had managed to avoid overt public detection this far. But it seemed that Golden could see past her thin disguise, or at least have well-founded suspicions, and it amused her.

“Thank you for the compliments, my good sir,” she responded with a smile. “If it were so, even queens might enjoy an evening off and mingling with people rather than watching them from inaccessible heights.”

“Dancing does not bewilder me, sir Golden,” she said when her dance partner led them into the first steps. “Do not be shy to put up your best performance even if it is complicated; I am sure I’ll be able to follow easily. The other lady said you dance well, which I assume to mean that you can lead well. Yes?”

@Rillewen
The Meadow
As Meadow placed her hand on Dragon’s shoulder, she let her arm rest lightly on top of his while they prepared for a dance. With a slight nod she indicated her readiness and then looked up at him.

“You can call me Meadow since you described me as one,” she said smiling. “And should I call you Sir Dragon? And are you a dangerous one tonight, or perhaps one with much more kindness?”

She quite liked his choice of colours both because they were alike to hers and also quite joyful. That led her to believe that this particular Dragon was here to enjoy the evening with the other revellers and not as much intent on causing harm as those in tales she had heard.

The Gilded
Gilded decided not to pursue any other silly ideas of what could be done with the perfect placement of city circles and instead turned her attention to the present moment and dancing.

“I definitely did not imagine something like this, but since it became possible, it was too good to give it up. No?” she wondered to Teal. “The first far away journey, the first fancy ball, the first dance. A lot of firsts. But it only means that things can get better afterwards.”

She observed other people dancing around them and then said with a confident spark in her eyes: “So who cares if we do not do as splendidly. It will still be great! So no worries about not knowing how to dance more properly. After all I don’t know either.”

Red Rooster
“Perhaps I have seen him then,” Rooster allowed, “But I would only recognise and remember if I saw him unmasked. I really have trouble recognising people behind all those masks.”

He looked at Seashell with a small smile and felt grateful for she had managed to dissipate his state of confusion and help him become more grounded again, though he would never admit that outright.

“Perhaps I can accompany you back to the bar, or to the buffet, if you please, m’lady,” he offered. “Or not, if you would rather prefer so.” He stepped back to give her a slight bow, while gently holding her hand, so she could either leave it there and let him lead her off the dance floor, or perhaps take it away and leave for wherever she would.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

She grinned at Snowflake's joke about the Hawk trying to become a fish. This lady had her wits about her.

Red could not quite catch a look at the young man's eyes. Were they brown? Were they the steely blue she was looking for? She could not be sure. The Hawk moved away from her, as if he were uncomfortable. He probably was, she mentally commented to herself. She smiled when he moved away, for it was important for neither the young lady nor the young man to think she was taking it badly.
Wondering if she still needed to look into the young fellow if he had a sister - for her quarry could not have a sister here in Minas Tirith. Her lips quirked with some amusement. Well, as it turned out, he could - at least for tonight. Red had just spoken with her.

Back to the point, however... It was quite possible for them to be lying. The target was trying to hide his true identity, after all. While it would be very cunning to invent a fake sister, and while he hadn't sounded like the type to think of such things by his stepfather's description, Red knew for a fact that stepparents could grossly underestimate their 'new' children.

She pretended to be amused and intrigued by their conversation about the young lady's date. "I'm afraid brothers are incorrigible teases," she told Snowflake, taking note once again of her brown eyes. "Sisters, you say? Plural? Yet your sister is not here this evening?" she inquired of Snowflake, rather than the uncomfortable Hawk. Red tapped her own mask, under one of her brown eyes. "Do you all have the same brown eyes, as well, miss? It would make me feel a bit less odd in this sea of grey and blue eyed people. Though I have seen other brown-eyed people here already." She smiled apologetically. "Which has set me at ease a bit. Maybe there is more variation in Minas Tirith than there is back home... I would be glad for that. Sometimes I get the idea people almost look down on me..."

@Rillewen
The Butterfly

"I was glad to help him," she responded politely but genuinely. "As I sad - he was perfectly nice and polite. No... funny business." Butterfly smiled at Blossom, but the smile faded to an almost blank expression when the lady mentioned that they had tried to learn dancing from... a book.

"A book," she repeated, her tone deadpan. "You tried to learn... to dance... from a book." Written in outdated Sindarin, no less. Butterfly could not quite made up her mind of whether she thought that was endearing or ridiculous. Possibly it was both. She looked at Blossom with renewed curiosity.

"Your daughter sounds lovely," she commented, not wanting her earlier question to seem rude. "It is nice she wants you to enjoy some of the wider world, as well, isn't it? But I'm sorry to hear that your someone special is not here, this evening. Or probably not... But who knows?" Butterfly smiled. "If he was heading here last you heard... he might have had a few reasons to stay longer than he had originally planned. Do you know what brought him here in the first place?" Maybe that could give a few ideas of why he might have stayed for an extended period of time, after all. When Butterfly heard that even if the man were still in the city, he would not come to an event like this, her expression grew sympathetic. "I'm sorry," she told Blossom a bit more quietly. "I'm sure you would have loved to share all your book knowledge on dancing with him," she teased, although her voice sounded perfectly serious.

Butterfly shrugged at Blossom's question. "Masquerades are few and far in between," she said. "But the midwinter ball buffet is always exquisite. That, in and by itself, should be reason enough, wouldn't you say?"

"As for dancing..." She shrugged one shoulder. "The Cheddar King was clearly out to gather feathers onto his cap," she commented drily. "And your presence and the way he asked us, gave me the opportunity to bow out. Though I did offer you up by doing so," she said with a small apologetic smile. "It was different with your Dragon friend. He'd just had some sort of strange experience with the Lady in Red... or was still having one, watching her dancing with the next fellow, as if... " She rolled her shoulder. "He seemed upset. And like he could use the distraction." Kindness. It had looked like he could use some kindness. But she did not put a voice to that.

@Pele Alarion
Golden Boy

"Indeed," he said thoughtfully upon hearing her words about queens perhaps also enjoying some time off. "Then so you shall, my Lady!" His thoughtful expression made way for another charming smile when she gave him permission to pull out all the stops, and indeed for some unfiltered surprise in his light brown eyes. "My best performance?" She turned his head slightly, though he kept his eyes on her. "That might draw a few eyes, Lady Amethyst," he warned her, but before she could respond he gently spun her out, holding onto her hand with his and as she stepped back, passing her in the opposite direction while allowing her to step under the arc of their arms. It was true, she did not falter or hesitate in the steps, which lit up his expression further and emboldened him to continue.

After a few more regular steps and turns, he moved to hold both of her hands and have her turn under one of his arms so she ended up beside him rather than in front of him, his right arm behind her back and around her waist to hold her left hand, his left arm in front of them both and holding her right hand. He turned them around in a circle together, before letting go of her left hand with his right and have her turning back toward him. Once she was facing him he let go of her other hand as well and reached for one hand behind her back while offering his other hand behind his back and then turning around together the other way. Then he resumed the standard dancing position and smiled at her. "Not bewildered, as you say! You either have extensive experience, my Lady, or you are an exceptional talent. Of course, both may very well be true," he added respectfully, inclining his head.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

The smile he was already displaying widened slightly as the lady declared that he could call her Meadow. "A very suitable name, in my opinion," He declared with a nod. Then that was what he would call her. "Complete with flowers in your hair!" He added, noting how there were a few flowers somehow attached to her hair accessory, though he wasn't sure what such a thing would be called.

"And yes, if you would like, sir Dragon is fine with me." He added, grinning as they danced. "But no, while I may be dangerous to some.. I would certainly never bring harm nor danger to a lady, especially in so fine a place as this." He assured her with a smile. "Or to any well-meaning person, for that matter." He would definitely not expect to find anyone at such an event who would require him to use his more dangerous skills, and with all the guards around, he suspected that they ought to have a peaceful enough event without such concerns.

Teal Guy

"Absolutely!" He agreed with her mention that things could only get better. He was pleased when she seemed to stop worrying about whether she would dance perfectly or not, and smiled. "Good." He was content to just hold her as they danced in the more basic style, and not try to do any more 'fancy' moves, like a couple not far away from them(Golden & Amethyst) were doing. He kept his gaze on her, but could see a few others out of his peripheral vision.

"I'm surprised you didn't bring your little furball along," He mentioned a little teasingly, after a moment. "Disguised as a part of your costume or something, maybe." He could just imagine, with how close she and her feline friend had become. "Or is she roaming around somewhere with a tiny mask and dress?" He couldn't help asking with a little laugh, since he was not at all seriously expecting her to have smuggled her cat in, but the idea of it was quite humorous.

Seashell

She let out a sigh, nodding in agreement with that. "Me too, even if I knew someone here, I doubt I'd recognize them." She took another look around at the dancers near them, but felt as if she were in a sea of strangers. While that didn't bother her, she did find it very frustrating to try and pick out one face out of so many, with them all being at least half-concealed. Some even covered more than half of the face.

Glancing back at Rooster as he asked her about accompanying her, she offered a small smile in thanks. "Sure, how about the food?" She decided. "I've not tried anything yet and I'm starving," She grinned, and since he still had a light hold on her hand, she kept hold of his and started toward the buffet, before holding back so that he could catch up and lead her, rather than her leading him.

@Arnyn

Blossom

She couldn't help a little laugh at the way Butterfly had to repeat the bit about a book, as if checking she had heard right. "Silly, I'm sure, and not exactly.. ideal." She agreed. "But we had no one in our party who knew how, and none of us knew anyone in town." She explained, amused at their little 'adventure'. "My niece.. she's a bit obsessed with books, she came up with the idea, and it was the only way any of us could think of to attempt to learn anything about it. And we only arrived in the city yesterday afternoon," She shrugged slightly and took a sip of her water. "Sir Dragon over there would not be dissuaded from attending this, and since someone had to help him practice, he managed to persuade me into coming as well." She smiled softly. "And, well.. this dress helped seal the deal.. and it fit me perfectly, so how could I say no when clearly, "it was fated that I should attend the ball"?" She smiled, amused at the arguments Dragon had used to persuade her into coming.

As the other lady spoke of how nice it was of her daughter, Blossom nodded in agreement with a smile, but then the topic had moved on to Blossom's friend. "Perhaps," she nodded slowly at the suggestion he may have had reasons to stay for so long. She paused as she considered how to actually answer the other question. "I do know. I'm not sure whether I ought to say, though. It was on business, and he does have relatives who live here. So, it is entirely possible that you're right, and he has remained here for longer than he might have meant. Or, his job may have required him to stay, or.. there's plenty of possibilities." She tried not to sound overly concerned.

She let out a little laugh at the way Butterfly commented on her sharing her book knowledge with him. "Oh yes, that's quite disappointing," She mock-agreed, amused about the teasing comment. "I don't think he's very much interested in books, so perhaps he would not be interested anyway," She added with a little sigh. Although, the talk of books did give her an idea of how she might find out whether he was still in the area or not. But that would have to wait until tomorrow, unfortunately.

"The buffet is indeed incredible," She agreed wholeheartedly. She only had a few things left on her plate, and was taking her time eating, since the two ladies were chatting. "Hmm, yes, and he does enjoy eating," She commented thoughtfully. "Or at least, he's never turned down a meal that I know of," She added with a little laugh.

She tried another one of the little bite-sized foods from her plate, while Butterfly was speaking about the Cheddar King, and Dragon. She nodded in agreement about the feather in his cap, looking somewhat amused while she was chewing. After she had finished eating that delicious morsel, she took a curious glance around. Strange experience? She wondered what that may mean, but she was glad that someone had been kind enough to help sir Dragon when she was busy elsewhere. "Thank you for that, then," She answered, inwardly somewhat concerned about what might have upset him. "It looks as if he's recovered, now, so that's good." She added, glad to see him smiling as he danced with Meadow.

@Arnyn
|
Hawk & Snowflake

At the Red lady's comment about brothers being incorrigible teases, Snowflake smiled faintly and took a little sip of her juice, then wrapped both hands around the glass and nodded, wordlessly.

"That's right," Hawk spoke up with a nod, after noticing the slight change in Snowflake's smile. "Two sisters. Even more brothers," He added, but didn't elaborate. He glanced at Snowflake, undecided if he should put a comforting hand on her shoulder or something, but then decided maybe not, so not to call attention to any indication of sadness. Instead, he let his gaze focus on his glass while he went quiet for a minute, letting the ladies talk together.

The next question had been directed at her, so Snowflake glanced up, pausing briefly as she wondered why the lady was asking about their eyes. She offered a reassuring smile though, when the lady explained that she, apparently, had felt like she wouldn't fit in here. "It's far more common than you might think," She told her with a little smile. "All of my brothers have brown eyes, but not all the same brown." She explained, feeling very reluctant to use any past tense terms tonight. "My sister, however, has pale blue eyes," She added with a little smile.

"But there are a lot of other people in the city who also have brown eyes," She mentioned with a little shrug. "But it's ridiculous for anyone to look down on you simply because of your eye color." She added with a frown. "We.. actually know someone with that exact sort of attitude.. or I would say that no one would ever dream of it," She sighed, then frowned as she took a swift glance around the place. "You don't think..?" She said softly to her brother, suddenly a little worried about that very person showing up here.

"He wouldn't dare," Hawk looked up at Snowflake as he noticed the hint of alarm creeping into her eyes, and sought to reassure her. Although technically, he thought, the one they were both thinking of probably would dare, but he didn't want her to be worrying about that. "Relax, SisC," He spoke her 'name' in such a way that it sounded like 'Sissy', and smiled reassuringly at her.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn
Amethyst
Amethyst was about to say that it could surely not be anything of the sort to attract too much attention, but as she opened her mouth to speak, she already found herself heading into a spin. And so it happened that she did not say anything in favour of keeping up with all the spins and intricate steps.

A smile reflected in her grey eyes, as she looked at Golden once the two of them had slowed down again. “I’ve had a plenty of time to practice, and dancing is a very good skill to have,” she replied. “But say, sir, where have you learned dancing so well? Are there fairies dwelling in Ithilien for you to dance with?”

@Rillewen
The Meadow
“There must be flowers!” Meadow laughed lightly. “Plain green needs an accent, something to reflect the sun back from the fields.” She could continue speaking of the fields and forests in a language as flowery as her attire, but she decided that it might not be good to keep speaking too long.

“I am glad that you are a very honourable dragon, as it seems” she responded when Dragon explained his disposition. “Have you flown from further away then, Sir Dragon? Or have you made your home within the city?”
Meadow observed Dragon with some interest, curious to see if her guess that he might not be a local would be correct. Then again she did not spend overly much time in the city to know that many people.

The Gilded
The light-hearted conversation with Teal made Gilded relax and not think so much of each step she made, though she did think occasionally on what she was doing and reminded herself to follow where he guided her. At least he did not make things difficult by choosing a simple way of dancing.

“I could have brought her if I had thought of a way to disguise her,” Gilded laughed when Teal mentioned her cat. “But I would be afraid to lose her in this forest of people. I think she’s much better off keeping a spot warm for my return.”

“Say…” she wanted to know. “You do not regret coming all the way here from our land? Right?”

Red Rooster
“Perhaps you will come by your friend yet, the evening still lasts,” Rooster smiled at Seashell trying to encourage her, and according to her wishes took a few faster steps to make sure he fulfilled his promise of taking her to the buffet.

“I haven’t had a chance to explore the food either,” he said, "But it seems that there are so many good foods to try out.”

He guided them towards tables with what looked like more filling foods since Seashell had said she was very hungry. He assumed that she’d want to sate the hunger with these rather than eat a whole lot of desserts only.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
ImageImage
Lady in Red

There seemed to be a whole other conversation going on between Hawk and Snowflake. It wasn't as if Red was oblivious to that. She simply dismissed it as irrelevant to her own business. All of the brothers had brown eyes, the young lady said. And once the Hawk looked up and addressed Snowflake by name - Sissy - she saw that indeed, it was so. Brown.

"Well," Red said with an appreciative smile, "thank you. That does set me at ease." She sipped her drink. "I do apologize for... barging in on your conversation. I did not mean to interrupt. I will let the two of you be," she seemed to decide.

She'd overheard the Fox earlier - ordering wine. Therefore it was highly unlikely that he was whom she was looking for. Yet he did fit the description - other than his hair. He fit the description better than most other young men she'd laid eyes on this evening. Though there were still a good few to investigate further, she'd noted. But before she moved on - how could she let the opportunity of checking out Sir Fox simply lie? When he was... right there.

With a polite nod to Hawk and Snowflake, she gave them her parting words. "Please enjoy the rest of your evening." It might look a little strange for her to move over and past them, past the Fox and the Swan as well, to then claim a stool on the very end of the bar. But what did she care?All she needed to be sure was a flash of the young man's eyes. If they were not of a steel blue, she had two reasons to scratch him off the list. If his eyes were the right color, she would have to investigate further. Red sipped the last of her wine. There were only about two sips left now. "The red is good, is it not?" she asked Fox politely. Red nodded at the lady with him. "My lady. Are you enjoying your drink, as well?"

@Rillewen
The Butterfly

"Well, I can't argue with you about the dress. It's as if it was tailored for you specifically. It really is a shame your interest is probably not here to see you in it," Butterfly said with a faint smile. She was amused that Blossom had caught on to her teasing, and her faint smile grew into a small grin. "No one in their right mind turns down a good meal," she agreed.

When Blossom offered her thanks for her Dragon friend's shake, Butterfly waved a hand. "Don't worry about it. And yes, I think he's put it well behind him," she chuckled, looking at the Dragon for a bit, before her eyes strayed across the rest of the room, flitting between the guests. Her plate had gone empty, and she picked a few more things from the center of the table to herd onto her plate before finishing her water. "So," the Butterfly started asking Blossom, "Any gentlemen here, you reckon, who might do to distract you with another dance later? From the absence of the one you would prefer?"

@Pele Alarion
Golden Boy

He smiled at her words. "Yes," he said quietly. "Fairies. But not Queens." Golden inspected Lady Amethyst's expression, or at least what was visible of it with her mask. "You can learn to dance anywhere. It i smore about having or finding the right people to teach you. In my case, my parents taught me more than the basics, and then I went exploring to learn more with the help of anyone who would offer it to me. I'm also an avid believer in the idea of learning-as-you-do-it." Hence his interest in taking multiple ladies out for a spin on the floor this evening. "Who taught you, my Lady?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower

The Wolf

The Winged One did not pause, but neither did she turn him away as she might have if he had entirely upset her. He smiled internally at her words, and kept just a hair back from level with her as he followed her graceful walk across the floor towards the food tables. The Dol Amroth accent caught his attention once again. It was a good means of disguising the voice, if it was disguised, as he did not match it with either of the warrior women he had considered might be his current companion. The one who he frequently heard with a similar accent, well, he didn’t think she would bother with such an elaborate disguise as to go blond for one night of dancing anonymously. His fiery red-head, would.

“Very well, m’lady. I haven’t eaten more than a small morsel, and it looks to be an excellent spread once again.” Dancing required sustenance and energy after all, and that small appetizer had long worn away. He remained silent for a few strides before commenting conversationally. “I like your choice of wings for this evening, although you must indeed have magic to fly with such. Have you ever flown over the hills and fields nearby or watched anyone else do so?” He had, of course, heard of the eagles that had come to the rescue at the great battle at the gates to the dark land a few years ago, but that was far different from what he had in mind with his question.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Green Dragon

"Certainly, flowers are necessary," He agreed with a smile. "Do you live someplace with meadows and fields full of flowers, then?" He wondered. He smiled to hear himself described as an honorable dragon. He let out a little laugh at the wording she used about him flying. "I have indeed, lady of flowery meadows," He answered, smiling.

He shook his head at the mention of the possibility of him living in the city. "I've only been to this city a very few number of times." He answered. "My flights usually occur further north," he added with a little grin, before turning the question toward her. "What about yourself, m'lady?" He wondered, curious about the lady he was dancing with. "Are you a resident of this splendid city, or did you come here just for this occasion?"

Teal Guy

He grinned, imagining her cat dressed in a fancy ballgown with a mask. "I'm sure she would have blended right in," he even nodded toward a lady sitting at one of the tables, with cat ears on her head. "See, she wouldn't even be the only cat here," He added. "But, perhaps it's best that you didn't bring her, since all these strangers might have spooked the poor thing."

He was mildly surprised by her latter question. "Regret?" He asked. "Of course not, this has been wonderful." He paused, a bit concerned though, "Why.. are you regretting coming?" He asked, checking. "If you don't want to stay, you could probably return? But it is nice having someone else from home," He added, hoping she hadn't decided she would rather return to where they had come from.

Seashell

"I really hope so," She answered, thoughtful. She glanced at a few different people as they left the dance floor, but could not see anything familiar about any of them. She held back a sigh, wondering where else she could check if it turned out that he was not at the dance.

Glancing at Rooster, she smiled. He was at least friendly, even after hearing she was not here to enjoy a few romantic dances. "So, except for dancing with someone trying to get information out of you," She said with a little laugh at herself, "I hope you've had a nice evening so far?" She spoke sincerely, as she smiled and began to fill a plate. There was indeed a lot of delicious looking food here, and while she doubted she'd be able to try everything, she hoped to get a sample of some of the best looking stuff. "Hmm... any recommendations on the food, Mister Local?" She asked with a friendly glance toward him.

@Arnyn

Blossom

She smiled softly and glanced down at her dress as Butterfly mentioned that it seemed to have been tailored specifically for her. "I wish he was," She agreed. "But if he is still in the area, perhaps I can find him later. But it'll be after the ball," She added, a little regretfully.

She looked toward Dragon and was glad to see that he did seem to have put whatever it was behind him by now. The other question was a bit unexpected. "Oh, I don't know," She looked around at the various people. "It would depend a lot on whether anyone even asked me," She added with a shrug. "I was surprised that Sir Cheddar asked," She laughed softly. "But it's possible that Dragon may come by at some point, if he runs out of the other ladies to dance with."

@Arnyn
|
Hawk & Snowflake

Snowflake gave her brother a skeptical look, not sure she believed what he'd said, but then she gave a tiny nod before she turned back to Red with a faint smile. "Well, I am glad we were able to set you at ease, ma'am." She replied. "Don't worry about that," She mentioned in reply to the part she said about her barging into their conversation. While they had not been seeking to have a random stranger join in their conversation, they were at a public event, so it was a possibility that such a thing could happen. "Have a good evening," She added with a polite smile as the lady prepared to go

Hawk gave a small nod in her direction in farewell. After she had walked away, he glanced at Snowflake. "That seemed slightly odd..." he muttered. "Do you think she came over here just to ask about how many people in the city have brown eyes?"

Snowflake shrugged slightly. "Maybe she was hoping you'd ask her to dance." She teased lightly, with a little smile. "She kept on looking your way." She pointed out.

Hawk fidgeted slightly and focused his attention on his glass. "I'd rather let someone else ask her," He replied, shaking his head a little. "That dress..I just can't..." He added, a little awkwardly.

"The color.. right?" She guessed softly, realizing that the woman's dress was in fact the color he hated most.

He kept silent, but nodded slightly, and she rested a hand lightly on his arm.

They continued chatting quietly between themselves while they sipped on their juice. Both making an effort to cheer the other now, and after a while they were smiling a bit more and began to watch the other people around them somewhat.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn
Amethyst
“You have certainly learned well, and it seems that your creativity works very well,” Amethyst said, some of the joy and excitement visible on her face. “I am not sure many would be able to offer such a high quality here tonight, though I have not yet danced enough to confirm this statement.”

When he wanted to know who taught her, her smile turned into something of a grin. “It has been parents for me as well, I could practice on my brothers and friends every so often. Having a plenty of time to engage in such activities surely helped,” she explained.

@Rillewen
The Meadow
“If you usually live towards north, I reside a little bit south, or southwest to be more precise,” Meadow responded to questions. “And yes, spacious fields rich in flowers, with a background of the White Mountains and some forests.”

“Can you describe the place you live,” she asked wanting to know how things looked north. “Do you have fields? Or forests? Or perhaps marshes? And are there a lot of inhabitants?”

She remembered that he had asked about the city as well, so she said: “I come to the city now and then, to visit friends and what family I have here, and to get the necessary things. I have not been any further north though.”

The Gilded
“That’s a really big cat though,” Gilded laughed once she had stolen a glance at the Cat Lady. “I have suspicions Bretta would not fit the category.”

She saw that her question about regrets had caused Teal concern, and she smiled heartily in an attempt to undo the effect of it. “No, I feel happy to have come, though it still might take a bit of time to get used to being here. The place is huge!”

Gilded’s eyes took in the sights of the decorated hall and all the masked and excellently dressed people before she looked back to Teal again. “You know…” she almost whispered. “I have even played with an idea to remain here. I have found that people are more accepting of me here and I don’t have to constantly defend myself and prove I mean no harm.”

Red Rooster
In a mere blink of an eye, Rooster had already gathered a plateful of various food items, and when Seashell spoke to him again, he carefully turned more towards her rather than the tables, trying not to have the gathered goodness spill off the plate.

“You know,” a grin formed on his lips. “I do not mind questions that much, or you gathering information.” He was about to say that in comparison to that dance with Red this had been rather refreshing, but at the last moment he realised that it would probably not be polite to make such comparisons out loud.

“Well…” he murmured, looking at his plate, then at the tables, and back to Seashell when he asked about food. “Depends on how hungry you are, Miss. A little bit of meat, perhaps some baked goods, a vegetable or two? Can always try various desserts and fruit. That should make up a fairly good selection.”

Chief Counsellor of Gondor

The Lilac Plume and the Damson Bouquet
frolicking without fathers to deter their fun – one-off random inclusion

The pair of brunettes had come to the event together, unattended by any partner besides one another. Few young men after all would be brave enough to take on both the young ladies at once. And they went about the festivities as though they were conjoined at the hip. The laughter was all the louder for each young lady echoed the other, until it was quite impossible to know which of the two had commenced their mirth. Nor if it ever would conclude.

They gambolled all about the place, arm in arm and pointing with heads tilted close to comment on all they saw, under breath. Until a piece of music occurred which they favoured and then a shriek of girlish delight would erupt from them, and a whirlish dervish then pirouette in bright colours around the dance floor. At intervals though they took their enjoyment toward the refreshments to throw small treats toward one another’s mouths, and attempt to catch them without help from hands. The outcome inevitably led to only more amusement which they did not shy from expressing.

More than one lonely young man might find himself abruptly surrounded as the pair cavorted merrily about him, not having to make a single move from mere .. stunned statue, as they twirled all about, making a big show of him until they quickly grew bored and moved onto the next. And any young lady they spied as yet unencumbered with a partner, they would invite with a wave of slender arms and wider smiles, to join their lively reel around the room, like wild sirens to ensure nobody went unnoticed. Unless they absolutely wished and made this clear.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
The Butterfly

"He did mention to me that he had been thinking about asking you for a dance. But at the time you were still dancing with the one you call Sir Cheddar." Butterfly smiled. "So he begrudgingly settled for me," she added with a grin. "I do not doubt he will ask you for a dance, later. If only to show you what he has learned so far, and to prove he will no longer make you stumble."

She finished her plate for a second time then, and contentedly leaned her back against her chair. It was exceedingly comfortable. "I think I will stay here and people watch for a time," she told Blossom, so the lady would know what her intention was - and so Blossom could feel free to do as she would, in case she did not already.

Her veiled gaze slid over to the bar, where she saw Snowflake talking with a young man in a hawk costume, and where Rosy Pink had just acquired a drink almost as pink as her dress. Butterfly smiled at that, shaking her head lightly. Sir Fox was over by the bar as well. And the Fairy... well, the Fairy was heading toward the tables, and the buffet. Along with the Wolf. Butterfly watched them walking together, about as long as she had watched Snowflake, Rosy Pink and Sir Fox. Then her attention shifted to the dance floor.

@Pele Alarion
Golden Boy

"I thank you, Lady Amethyst," Golden said whilst inclining his head. Accepting the compliment without any embarrassment or false modesty. He was glad to see she was looking genuinely glad about dancing with him. By Yavanna. If he was right about who she was... But that was impossible. Right?
"Assuming the ring on your hand is a wedding ring - and I implore your forgiveness if it is not - will your husband be dancing with you later this evening?" he tested, casually. "Surely he would not miss out on an opportunity like this? Unless he is regrettably unable to attend, of course. Then any of the others here should be so lucky for the chance at a dance with your ladyship."

@Karis Ziranphel
The Fairy

She wasn't sure what to say at first when the Wolf commented how he liked her choice of wings for this evening. Given that she had thought them to be quite over-the-top - ridiculous, even. Pretty, sure. But for her? Hardly right, she thought.

The Wolf saved her a little, however, by adding she must have magic if she was able to fly with them. "While I have flown through the air in a way, it unfortunately did not include wings," she replied with an amused half-smile as they approached the seemingly endless buffet table. "Nor did the occasion involve any hills or fields. The day I do witness someone using wings to fly over this City and the Pelennor, however, would be magical indeed." With the food now in front of them, the Fairy's attention turned fully to that very thing. "You were not joking when you said the spread was excellent," she agreed as she looked it over.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

Lady Swan

The twirl was the closet thing to an adrenaline rush she had felt in a long time. The dizzying rotation, the swing of her skirts, and the strong anchor of Sir Fox’s hand left her feeling dreamy and excited. She could only smile and blush when he accepted her offer and suggestion of moving on for a quick drink, rather than leaving her to seek another partner. She liked that. So many other dazzling and enticing choices, yet her Sir Fox lingered with her. Even if it might be for only one more dance, she would relish it. She didn’t even want to think of what might come next. There was always that dark shadow looming over the horizon.

”Anything that is cool and refreshing, Sir Fox.” She replied to his query, wrapping her gloved hands around his arm, surprised at the tautness and strength of the bicep located there. She tried not to squeeze and press on it to test it’s durability, standing by patiently as he requested their drinks of the bartender and looking around her to see if there was anyone she might recognize. No father, no mother, no brother or…him. Not her friend either, with whom she communicated ahead of time what she would be wearing and dressed as. Lady Swan had so much to share.

”White wine, please and thank you.” She answered in the common tongue, for the sake of the bartender as well. The drinks were soon handed over and she released her Sir Fox to select her cup. ”My thanks.” She said upon receiving her cup and watched Sir Fox intently over the rim of her own cup, only moving to sip when he sipped. But…he seemed to be waiting on her. For a moment it seemed…they just watched one another, before she blushed under his look and sipped hers first, covering her mouth afterwards with the back of her palm, fearing it might stain or disrupt her lip colouring. She was not accustomed to wine as of yet but she wasn’t going to let inexperience show on her expression, withholding any show of cringe from the taste of alcohol. It was floral in nature though, which was refreshing.

”As always, a fox introduces me to many new things. A lovely vintage.” She remarked, having heard her father and mother mumble such words when having their own wine. It seemed suitable and she felt…sophisticated. No more rural living, she could get used to this. She sipped again, her sea-grey eyes locked on Sir Fox over the far rim of her cup. What was he thinking about? ”The red fox gets the red wine. The white feathered lady sips on white wine. I know we can be a little more original than this.” She quirked a teasing eyebrow at him. It was humorous to her, this little coincidence.

”Perhaps a toast is necessary, when drinking for the first time…?” She pondered aloud to her companion, wondering if he might share a thought or two with her.

@Pele Alarion

King Cheddar

Black Lips had a pretty laugh, though his mind ticked too slow in thinking there might be any recognition or resemblance to a familiarity he might already know. ”You are excused, of course.” He grinned back, two perfect rows of white teeth, at her remarks. She kept her truth closely guarded though, playing the game as intended. No easy answers, naturally. But he was fine with that. The pursuit of the answer was the enjoyable part. And he would be happy even if he never obtained that answer at all in the end.

Some came from afar and some from within the city. Indeed. Once more his lips pressed upwards in a smile to her next query, already answering it before he formed the words. ”For enjoyment, yes. I have not been to such an event in many a year where I could simply…have no other responsibility. I intend to make the most of it. Some of my…companions though, they cannot let it go.” He said, lowering his smile a moment, as he swung Black Lips elegantly through the steps of their current dance.

”I wish they could enjoy an evening such as this, if only for that evening, to know there are fairer things in life than…duty. It’s been a lesson even I’ve struggled to learn. But…baby steps.” He said, a pique of his eyebrows to share the amusement and irony, as he led Black Lips through the dance steps required for this current tune.

”Which is why I am shameless with the praises, my Lady. You never know when one might see such art and beauty again, when business calls. I hope you’ll excuse me for that.” He smiled, giving her a twirl and a moment before answering, seeing other dance partners engaged in such a move, lifting her hand high to twist her about and then right her back again.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Captain of Tower
@Arnyn

The Wolf

Wolf grinned at the Winged One’s phrasing about flying through the air, as it was the words many a warrior would use to describe a tumble when sparring or otherwise. He nodded solemnly despite his grin, and listened carefully as she continued. Do witness…Would be magical. His smile gentled, and he glanced over at her pensively as they reached the buffet table. She also seemed unfamiliar with the quality of the food generally available at the traditional midwinter balls. While he figured some evasiveness was part of the game, complete falsehoods were not. He looked over the selection and took a plate to fill with the things that seemed tastiest and least messy to eat, thankful that the majority was finger-food that didn’t require knife and fork.

His gaze trailed the length of the tables and over the handful that were seated nearby at tables, noting Blossom and Butterfly were still seated together, with the Dragon masked one finally having stayed elsewhere. Staying within conversational distance of the Winged One, he commented lightly. “You were right to say such a flight would be magical. I flew over the Pelennor once, to the river and back, and it was beautiful, exhilarating, and wondrous altogether to soar far above the ground. But I had a little trouble with the landing, and my Flame was rather strongly concerned by my risky behavior, so I will not risk it again unnecessarily.” One corner of his lips tilted up, and then he glanced over to see what she thought of his words. “The craft for flight was like a large kite instead of wings, and might be quite useful for mountain warriors if the inventor could get another to test his designs. If you wish, you could try this means of flight that holds a different magic than your current wings.”

Ziranphel

Ziran gave a slight smiling shake of her head in response to Macardil’s question. She was starting to become accustomed to his more intense looks in private, but in public they still felt new. Her smile grew when he continued before sending her into a twirl and then bringing her closer. “I’ll not protest.” Her reply was a low murmur for his ears alone, and then she just enjoyed the flow of the dance without the need for further words for a while. She would be content staying on the dance floor with him most of the night, with occasional breaks for refreshment.

“Hmm.” She thought over his words when he asked about recognizing anyone. She had wondered about the one in the Hawk mask after seeing the bird demonstrations in Belfalas, and he had a slight air of familiarity, but few others really. “I have been too distracted to look closely enough for friends, I suppose. I was admiring the costumes earlier, and there were several glimpses I had of movement or the turn of a head that reminded me of friends, or some that we met in Belfalas, but no one that I could properly identify as yet.” She paused for a few more steps before adding, “I did think I recognized Abrazimir by his hair and the way he carried himself, but with the metal mask I wasn’t certain. Thûllir was only obvious to me because I know him so well, and he covered neither his hair or his wedding ring…although removing the rest of his beard did give me a moment’s pause before I was certain.”

High Warden of Tower
@Lantaelen

Black Lips
“I suppose that those praises can be acceptable since such celebrations are not held each day and most people don’t walk about dressed like this every day,” Black Lips said agreeably though laughter still reflected in her blue gaze as she let herself enjoy the steps and the twirl. “Though it is very difficult to abstain from teasing you for it.”

Teasing was exchanged for softer and more serious tone of voice, as she said: “Unbridled enjoyment does not come easy when duty has become as close as your second skin. Very difficult to leave it behind and replace it with frolicking behind the cover of a mask. I can certainly understand your companions.”

Her eyes had drifted away thoughtfully for a few moments, and when they turned the attention back to King Cheddar’s face, the seriousness had passed.

“But perhaps for this one evening it can be managed.”

@Arnyn
Amethyst
A smile lingered about Amethyst’s grey eyes when she saw that Golden was still seemingly going about trying to establish her identity. She did not mind responding to his question as they danced.

“The wedding ring it is,” she confirmed. “You have guessed correctly. And I made my husband promise a dance or two with me no matter how busy he may be elsewhere. So I have high hopes that he will indeed show up at some point.”

“So… you are dancing as much as you can this evening to keep your skills?” she posed questions of her own. “Are you playing the guess-who-you-are-dancing-with game and have had success in it?”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Karis Ziranphel
The Fairy

She was not exactly describing sparring, but she did not know the Wolf was thinking about that, nor would the Wolf know about what she was referring to - unless he had both figured out her identity and remembered a certain story which his Flame might have reported back to him. The Wolf, or rather, whom the Fairy knew he was for certain once Karis had addressed him earlier, didn't really seem like the type to invest much energy into hearsay, however. And, hopefully, who she really was as of yet remained uncertain.

As Thûllirstarted to fill his plate, the Fairy did the same. She frowned lightly behind her mask when he said he had flown over the Pelennor once. She could well believe how that would have bestowed gorgeous sights upon him, and how it had been a thrilling and amazing experience. The mention of his Flame then made her glance at him involuntarily. Had Kaylin seen him flying over the Pelennor? He had not verbalized it - not literally. If Kaylin had in fact seen it, though, then Thûllir now at least knew that the Fairy could not be Kaylin. Unless the Fairy had lied - but that was not her style. Not even in this game of deception. If Kaylin had not seen it... the game might still continue, if the Fairy played this right. And that would be what the redheaded flame in question would want.

Regardless, the Fairy might as well continue with being who she had chosen to be for the evening, regardless. After all, it was a nice change - and despite what people would likely assume, it was not so much about not being tied to the expectations that others had of her. Rather... it was about not being tied to the high demands and restrictions the Fairy usually set for herself.

"Wise," she replied with a nod once her plate was full, when he said he would not risk it again without good reason, given his Flame's concern. Her own lips mirrored Thûllir's smile as she continued. The idea sounded interesting, if she were being honest. Even if her brother would want to kill her for even considering the risk. Nor could she blame him for it. She would not want others to risk it, either. The Fairy almost laughed at herself, but hid all of her inner amusement with a practiced ease.
"Are you still in contact with the inventor, then?" she asked just as light-toned as his own words had been. "Are you still intrigued by the concept, sir Wolf, considering you are trying to pitch it to a Winged One?" She turned to him, holding her plate in one hand.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower

The Wolf

Wolf appreciated that she didn’t startle but merely nodded and stated that it was wise he didn’t attempt flight again. It amused him, even as he was impressed by her calm. Only Kaylin and a handful of others had seen him fly and known what they were seeing at the time. Was he still in contact with the inventor? Trying to pitch the idea to her? He had glanced back down at the food again as he collected a few small quiches, pieces of fruit and meaty pastry, and now paused for a moment as if in further contemplation of the food before answering. “Aye, I have maintained contact with him, although I have not served again as his pilot. He has kept to the lower slopes and no one has taken him up on taking off from the curtain wall again. I think it was the air currents of the city that were part of my trouble…it was a fascinating enough experience that I thought it both interesting and important to maintain contact.” He lifted a shoulder in a slight shrug. “If you have any interest, he would be most delighted, even if you choose not to take to the air yourself.” Figuring it was better to drop the topic, Wolf chose a glass of juice this time from one of the trays before looking over at the seating. Unlike the lady in Red, he didn’t feel the need to rid himself of this companion even though she wasn’t the one he was searching for. The tables here were smaller and not for large groups, and he contemplated whether to sit near the ladies already there or find a more empty space. Perhaps he would let her choose, although she was free to cut him loose as well. “Where would you like to sit?”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Karis Ziranphel @Rillewen
The Fairy

She assessed Thûllir thoughtfully as he replied on the topic of flying. "I make no promises," she told him, still wearing that half-smile. "The name of this man?" she requested, even though she would then be quite ready to let the matter rest. Yet her insatiable appetite for answers had reared its head, some might say.

Following Thûllir's gaze to the tables with seating, she saw two occupied tables not too far away. One with Blossom and Butterfly. Another with a lady with cat ears. The Fairy wished that she might know for certain what Thûllir had figured out about her. Did he know she was not Kaylin? Possibly, but the Fairy could not be sure. Did he know who she was? She thought not. Not yet. But the longer a time he spent alone with her, the more likely it would be that he would discern her identity. And she would really prefer to keep people wondering.

“Where would you like to sit?”

The question was unexpected. He was offering her with a choice. The Fairy would not mind to redirect his attention elsewhere, truth be told. And the very best way to do that, would be... to dangle a different option in front of his nose. Thus, the Fairy narrowed her eyes as she assessed his currently rather at-ease body language. He had not been this comfortable before. Did that mean he had eliminated her? It was a change from earlier, that much was unmistakable.

"It is an evening for socializing," she replied. "I would therefore opt to sit with others. If you can stand to be seated with three ladies in total?" The Fairy's smile flashed to a grin for just a moment, before she picked up a glass of water and calmly moved for the table with Blossom and Butterfly. "Would you mind if we sat here?" she asked the two ladies politely, only a hint of a smile on the visible part of her face.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Blossom

Blossom grinned slightly. "I imagine he more than 'settled' for you," She laughed. "More than likely, he was willing to dance with me because he felt obligated, after begging and dragging me here so he'd have someone he knows here." She smiled. "But it would be nice to see how much he has improved after your lessons," She added amusedly.

She nibbled on a sweet pastry that she had been saving for last. "I figured on doing similar, unless anyone should ask for another dance." She agreed, when Butterfly mentioned people-watching. "Do you recognize anyone, or are they all strangers to you, too?" She wondered, curious whether the butterfly lady was familiar enough with anyone to know who they might be. As she was looking around at all the unfamiliar faces, she noticed the approach of two others, also unfamiliar to her. But when the lady with fairy wings asked if they minded them joining, Blossom cast a glance toward Butterfly. "It doesn't bother me, if my companion has no objection," Blossom offered her own input on the matter. But she would not speak for Butterfly.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.