Undertowers Thing: Human as monster

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Newborn of Lothlorien
The motif index by Stith Thompson refers the motif F302.6.2.2. Fairy gives up her fairy nature and becomes mortal to be able to return to her mortal husband to the Thompson-Balys volume The Oral Tales of India, a motif index of Oriental folktales. It is not to be found in Cross’s index of Celtic Irish folktale motifs, nor in Boberg’s index of Old Icelandic motifs. In The Oral Tales of India one finds (Thompson-Balys 1958: 178) the motif F302.6.2.2. referred to story XV in William F.T. O’Connor’s 1907 collection of Folk Tales from Tibet. This story is titled The Story of the Boy with the Deformed Head, and its plot may be synthesized as follows.
There was a boy with a deformed head who could not find a wife because of his ugly appearance. One day he visited a lake and saw a drake descending to surface upon its waters. After the apparition repeated itself the following days, the boy decided to catch the drake, who revealed himself as the King of Fairies and asked the boy to set him free, a favor that he would greatly repay. The boy refused the offer of riches beyond compare and stated that all he wanted was a good wife, being told by the drake that he could offer him any of his three daughters. The boy chose the middle one, since he did not want an old wife nor a wife too young. The drake agreed upon one condition: their marriage would only last nine years. The boy agreed, freed the drake, and the next day got his fairy wife and a magical palace to live in, with all the goods and servants they needed. They were happy for nine years and she learned to love him despite his appearance, while he was enormously fond of his beautiful wife. Then the nine years passed and one morning the boy woke up on the grass, since both his palace and his wife were gone. The boy was desperate and traveled through the lands in search of her, until he came to the nest of two little gryphons who were threatened by a dragon. In a moment of compassion for the two little gryphons, the boy thought the dragon and killed him, being asked by the father gryphon whatever he wished for. He told the gryphon his story and how he longed to be reunited with his fairy wife, and the gryphon said that they would fly him to the abode of the gods, where he could plead for his wife. The gryphon carried the boy into the heavens until they reached the abode of the gods, where they were asked how dared a mortal come there. After explaining their motivations and how the boy had saved the gryphon’s younglings from a fierce dragon, they were admitted before the gods, where the boy explained his case and pleaded for his wife’s return. Upon hearing his words, his wife came out from her hiding place and ran to him, confessing that she loved him too. The gods agreed that she could return to him, provided that she renounced her fairy nature to become a mortal. She agreed to do so and they lived together on earth, happily ever after.
The ending of the tale deserves to be quoted in full:
When her father heard this he did not know how to act, but it was decided that a conclave should be held, and the matter debated at length. So the celestial powers met together in a great council, and, having discussed the matter in all its bearings, they decided that, as the Fairy Princess desired to return to earth of her own free will, they would not stand in her way; but that if she did so, she must take the consequence of her own action, and that as the result of mating with an unclean creature like a human being she must herself become mortal and lose her Fairy nature. On hearing this decision the girl joyfully agreed. So she and her husband mounted together upon the broad back of the Gryphon, and the great beast, spreading his wings, sailed through the golden gates of the palace and swept downwards through the blue heavens to the earth below. He soon deposited the youth and his wife on the ground near their old home, where he bade them farewell and returned to his own nest. And henceforward, although the Fairy had lost her magic powers, the two lived happily together, and grew to a good old age in prosperous and comfortable circumstances. (O’Connor 1907: 101-102)
Compare this with the ending of the chapter “Of Beren and Lúthien” in The Silmarillion:
These were the choices that he [Mandos] gave to Lúthien. Because of her labours and her sorrow, she should be released from Mandos, and go to Valimar, there to dwell until the world's end among the Valar, forgetting all griefs that her life had known. Thither Beren could not come. For it was not permitted to the Valar to withhold Death from him, which is the gift of Ilúvatar to Men. But the other choice was this: that she might return to Middle-earth, and take with her Beren, there to dwell again, but without certitude of life or joy. Then she would become mortal, and subject to a second death, even as he; and ere long she would leave the world for ever, and her beauty become only a memory in song. This doom she chose, forsaking the Blessed Realm, and putting aside all claim to kinship with those that dwell there; that thus whatever grief might lie in wait, the fates of Beren and Lúthien might be joined, and their paths lead together beyond the confines of the world. So it was that alone of the Eldalië she has died indeed, and left the world long ago. Yet in her choice the Two Kindreds have been joined; and she is the forerunner of many in whom the Eldar see yet, thought all the world is changed, the likeness of Lúthien the beloved, whom they have lost. (The Silmarillion xix)
In both cases it is the gods who rule the case allowing the fairy to renounce her immortality and fairy nature to be with her earthly lover. In both cases she agrees without doubts to said renunciation and enjoys her mortal life with her lover, although the explicit textual stress on their happiness is much stronger in the Tibetan tale.
Of course, the Elf-Man liaison is not the original form of the story of Beren and Lúthien: in the early “Tale of Tinúviel”, Beren was a Noldorin Elf. However, the idea of their union defiling the special Elven prerogative of Tinúviel has always been there, though implicit, as Tinwelint, the early version of Thingol, asks his daughter upon meeting Beren: “Put away thy light words, my child, and say has this wild Elf of the shadows sought to do thee any harm?” (BoLT2: 13). In The Silmarillion, the stress is even stronger, as Thingol asks his daughter: “Unhappy Men, children of little lords and brief kings, shall such as these lay hands on you, and yet live?” (The Silmarillion xix).
In the Tibetan tale of “The Boy with the Deformed Head,” the fairy must accept mortality “as the result of mating with an unclean creature like a human” (O’Connor 1907: 102). The gods asked the gryphon upon his coming to heaven with the boy: “How is it (…) that you have dared, unordered, to bring into our presence an inhabitant of the human world? Do you not know that human beings are of a coarser essence than ourselves and are repugnant and abhorrent to us? How dare you so defile the sacred country of the gods?” (O’Connor 1907: 100-101).
Accordingly, Tinwelint in “The Tale of Tinúviel” asks Beren: “Who art thou that stumbleth into my halls unbidden?” (BoLT2: 12), and, after he leaves, comments with his daughter: “It is well for him that he lies not bound here in grievous spells for his trespass in my halls and for his insolent speech” (BoLT2: 14). The scene is made even more striking by Beren’s characterization as human in The Silmarillion, as Thingol instead asks: “'Who are you (…) that come hither as a thief, and unbidden dare to approach my throne?” (The Silmarillion xix). Notice the retaining of the key word “unbidden,” and compare it to “unordered” in O’Connor 1907: 100. Thingol reiterates: “What would you here, unhappy mortal, and for what cause have you left your own land to enter this, which is forbidden to such as you? Can you show reason why my power should not be laid on you in heavy punishment for you insolence and folly?” After Beren asks for Lúthien’s hand, Thingol retorts, lamenting his promise to his daughter not to harm him nor imprison him: “Death you have earned with these words; and death you should find suddenly, had I not sworn an oath in haste; of which I repent, baseborn mortal, who in the realm of Morgoth has learnt to creep in secret as his spies and thralls”.
These are clearly instances of Thompson motif C93. Tabu: trespassing sacred precinct, and especially F361.4. Fairies take revenge on trespassers on ground they claim as theirs. They are both Celtic motifs featuring in Cross’s index. But what is special here is the connotation of the motif as tied to human uncleanliness. While in the Tibetan tale such uncleanliness is textually thematized and connected with the defiling of fairy nature, in The Silmarillion it comes forward in Beren’s definition as “baseborn mortal”, as well as in his comparison to “spies and thralls” of Morgoth, whom the Dark Lord defiled. In “The Tale of Tinúviel” Beren’s comparison to a thief also implies defilement of Tinwelint’s daughter, although in that case it is due to the shadowy nature of the Noldor instead of human nature. In both “The Tale of Tinúviel” and The Silmarillion it is the unauthorized trespass in the land of Doriath (or Arthanor) that connects the defilement of the land with the defilement of the maiden. It is a connection that is also underlined by the notion of “the Girdle of Melian,” the magical protection guarding the borders of Doriath, the violation of which carries the connotations of a sexual crime. The peculiar concept of the uncleanliness of the human kind that is implied in the notion of the defilement of fairy maidens by mortals can be thus construed as another Oriental motif that Tolkien may have adopted from the Tibetan “Story of the Boy with the Deformed Head”. Its inclusion in “The Tale of Tinúviel” may have been implicit, or he might have developed this trait subsequently, but it certainly underlies Thingol’s appointment of an impossible suitor’s task for Beren.
It must also be stressed how such notions as the uncleanliness of humans in the context of Elf-Man relationships distinguish Tolkien from Celtic and Middle English traditions on fairies, as neither in Culhwch and Olwen nor in Sir Orfeo is anything similar found. Furthermore, the same notions constitute an even stronger reason to exclude that Tolkien may have been inspired by Anglo-Saxon elves in his devising his Middle-earth Elves, since in Old English elves are the offspring of Cain (Beowulf 112). In Letter 236, Tolkien commented that “in all Old English poetry ‘elves’ (ylfe) occurs once only, in Beowulf, associated with trolls, giants, and the Undead, as the accursed offspring of Cain” (Letters, no. 236). Tolkien did not agree with such a negative association, as he makes clear in his prose translation of Beowulf 112: “ogres, goblins, and haunting shapes of hell” (Tolkien 2014: 21). In Tolkien’s Middle-earth, the perspective is “Elf-centred”, not anthropocentric (Letters, no. 212), and it is rather the human who is conceived as a monster, as in Thingol’s words comparing Beren to Morgoth’s thralls. However, one should note that Old English tradition as exemplified by Beowulf stands on the opposite side of Tolkien, whereas Celtic and Middle English are obvious inspirations in many respects, that are not denied by claiming an Oriental inspiration for a few motifs and combinations of motifs.
In my opinion this should better substantiate one of the reasons why Tolkien could never have been inspired by Anglosaxon and Gothic sources in his Elf-Human liaisons: the monster in these affairs is the human, not the Elf. I claim especially a far Eastern inspiration for this motif, but even without it and assuming that Tolkien independently conceived it, it stands as a clear distinction from Anglosaxon and Gothic lore, and closer to Middle English.

Guardian of the Golden Wood
Ephtariat wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:37 pm In Letter 236, Tolkien commented that “in all Old English poetry ‘elves’ (ylfe) occurs once only, in Beowulf, associated with trolls, giants, and the Undead, as the accursed offspring of Cain” (Letters, no. 236). Tolkien did not agree with such a negative association, as he makes clear in his prose translation of Beowulf 112: “ogres, goblins, and haunting shapes of hell” (Tolkien 2014: 21).
Þanon untȳdras ealle onwöcon,
eotenas ond ylfe ond orcnēās,
swylce gīgantas, þā wið Gode wunnon
lange þrāge; hë him ðæs lean forgeald
(Beowulf lines 111-114; my emphasis)

So, from Cain come all these monsters. Aside from the giants of Scripture, three northern 'monsters' are named. Orcnēās Tolkien suggests (in his commentary) are barrow-wights, and translates in his commentary as 'haunting shapes of hell'. The other two are more puzzling.

Let us be clear, Tolkien translates ylfe as 'goblin'. The translation appears groundless - ylfe = 'Elf'. The question why this strange 'translation' appears here is a very good one. It is not answered by your statement that 'Tolkien did not agree with such a negative association'. Whatever his views on Elves should have been irrelevant to a translation.

Consider 'eotenas' which in his translation Tolkien gives as 'ogre' (and as such curiously similar to the biblical giants of the next line). But 'eotenas' become the Ents of Middle-earth, who Treebeard holds up as the real deal of which trolls are but an imitation.

Reading The Lord of the Rings with this genealogy of Beowulf in mind it is apparent that the end of the Third Age contains the seeds of the forgetting and corruption of true lore that will 'explain' the notions of monsters found in Beowulf. In a nutshell, down the years all mythical beings come to be recalled as monsters.
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Newborn of Lothlorien
I believe that he thought the Beowulf-Poet to be so confused as to call Goblins by the name of Elves. A clear indicator that Old English does not offer the key to Tolkien's Elves, despite his idea of the English preserving the true tradition of the Elves. The latter idea was fiction and wishful thinking that cannot be seriously justified if we exclude from English the contribution of Celtic and Germanic and Norse and French (and even other cultures, as I showed with Tibet). When Tolkien makes that statement on the true tradition of the Elves, he is not speaking as a scholar. He is speaking as a fantasy author, or perhaps an esoteric thinker. These are the only options, since scholarship simply does not support the statement.

Well, we are back where we were before, with no way through. From my side, I will say that you do seem to me to respond to an argument with an opinion that is stated rather than argued.

But I think the basic gap between us is your distinction between fantasy and scholarship. I deem Tolkien's fantasy his scholarship by other means. More to the point, I see Middle-earth as our world a long time ago, not an imagined world other than our own. Once the worlds are recognized as the same, only separated in time, then it is a fairly straightforward march from Beowulf to LotR.

Newborn of Lothlorien
I think that scholarship needs proofs or at least elements supporting an hypothesis. But Tolkien's fantasy is clearly free from such restraints, and nobody would ask for proof concerning the existence of the Vala Lorien, for example. Once you say that he is comparable to Greek Morpheus, that's pretty much all you can say (although further research may unearth other parallels of gods of the dreaming in other cultures) But I doubt you could get anything about gods of dreams from Beowulf, or from Old English altogether. There is of course The Dream of the Rood and you could perhaps find dreams referenced in other texts, but I don't think there's any reference to a dream god in all Old English literature.

New Soul
A I have said at another place at an other time in the Lore Section, the Beowulf poet had one message to convey in the early social landscape of the Middle Ages, the one of Christianity. Most else was considered evil. Unfortunately this is to the reality around all these old (northern) mythologies and were not evil at all. Therefore I like to read the Finnesburg poem better, it has no Christian connection or message like it. :wink:

Besides the Hobbit was written for his children, not for a group of scholars.
Last edited by Aikári Salmarinian on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Newborn of Lothlorien
@Hill Please consider that I'm aware of the etymology of the word dream from Old English. But it is dream gods I'm talking about.

Newborn of Lothlorien
Aiks, I feel like you're being unjust both to the Beowulf-Poet and to Christianity. There's more to the Beowulf-Poet than Christianity, and there's more to Christianity than condemnation of Paganism. Enlightened Christians blessed Paganism.

New Soul
Eph: You are right, but I am not a Christian believer at all. So I have no favouritsm for the religion. I am an atheist. What I say is not without bias, I know that. And can distort a bit. I have changed my words. My excuses for that. But is also conveyed by a book I am reading from Dick Harrison, about the political, religious and social history of West Europe, 375AD - 800AD.
Last edited by Aikári Salmarinian on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ephtariat wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:25 pm I think that scholarship needs proofs or at least elements supporting an hypothesis. But Tolkien's fantasy is clearly free from such restraints, and nobody would ask for proof concerning the existence of the Vala Lorien, for example.
Well, it depends what you mean by Tolkien's scholarship. I think people go wrong because they equate scholarship with scientific study of facts, and then announce as if it demonstrated something that Tolkien was not a historian. Tolkien was a historically-minded student of literature, primarily English literature and its antecedents. And what that meant was that he thought about stories. You talk of Beowulf as if it was an encyclopedia rather than a work of art. Tolkien's fantasy might be free of the restraints of some kinds of scholarship, but it may also - or some of it may also - be read as exercises in thinking out older stories, turning them inside out and recrafting them to get to know them better. Even The Hobbit reveals profound engagement with Beowulf.

Newborn of Lothlorien
I don't get how people, even academics, can take stories as though they were some sort of alien being that is devoid of human meaning. That's of course encouraged by Tolkien when he says that he's not writing allegories, etc., but I think when he did that he never thought he would be taken so seriously, or he wouldn't have. He certainly didn't mean stories to be divorced from meaning.

Ephtariat wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:56 pm I don't get how people, even academics, can take stories as though they were some sort of alien being that is devoid of human meaning. That's of course encouraged by Tolkien when he says that he's not writing allegories, etc., but I think when he did that he never thought he would be taken so seriously, or he wouldn't have. He certainly didn't mean stories to be divorced from meaning.
I cannot tell if you are agreeing with me or not. We should probably also have out the allegory argument too.

Newborn of Lothlorien
Aiks, sorry, I had not read your last message. You are very kind and considerate. I used to be an atheist too, so please mind I'm no bigot. I just wish both believers and non-believers to stick to the facts. But I'm aware it's not always easy and I repeat that your attitude is inspiring.

Newborn of Lothlorien
@Hill I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing. If we wrestle with allegory I may have an other article to write out of our discussion, and I already have a few. I'm not saying no. :tongue:

New Soul
Eph: I don't consider you a bigot at all. Perhaps you felt to sound like one? I should have been more specific on the matter. We today know about the different attitudes. But back then, it was in some places really black and white. With consequences we find abhorrent these days. But people believed and saw matters different. :nod:

Newborn of Lothlorien
Aiks, I'm coming out of a discussion where I said that being a Christian does not mean that you cannot criticize the Church. So, perhaps it's because I was talking with people who might be a little bigot-ish. xD

New Soul
Eph: I am aware of that. For me if people are, I still take them seriously, it get eventually backfired at them. Maybe you are able to read from words if someone is, but I cannot. But thanks still for your considered words towards me. Beowulf is also discussed in historical perspective but I have to get there yet in the scientific book of Harrison. He is professor history at the university of Lund in Sweden.

Newborn of Lothlorien
Aiks: don't tell @Hill. He hates it when people use Beowulf to get information about its historical period... :lol:

Ephtariat wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 pm @Hill I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing. If we wrestle with allegory I may have an other article to write out of our discussion, and I already have a few. I'm not saying no. :tongue:
Well, that is as it should be. Personally, I find that personal ire with someone else gives an edge to my writing, and I certainly use the plaza to step back and forth between writing. But then you should allow me to point out that your last paragraphs above are not logically tight. I'm not going to take them line by line now. But I think you need to be clearer upon the relationship between your Tibetan parallel and your desire to declare that I am wrong to look to Beowulf on Tolkien's Elves. My sense is that, because you are already convinced of your conclusion you take the Tibetan story as demonstrating your point. But it only does so if you are already convinced.

Newborn of Lothlorien
My argument goes like this:
a) you argue that Tolkien's relationships Elf-Man are inspired by Beowuf 112
b) Tolkien describes his Elves and their relationships with Men in terms exactly opposite to Beowulf 112
c) the human is the one that is seen as a monster by some Elves in the story of Beren and Luthien
d) the human is seen as a monster in a fairy-man relationship in a Tibetan tale that is the only possible source for Beren and Luthien in other respects
e) Tolkien was probably inspired by the Tibetan tale
f) even if Tolkien wasn't inspired by the Tibetan tale, d) shows the kind of tale that Tolkien could have been inspired by rather than Beowulf 112

a) you argue that Tolkien's relationships Elf-Man are inspired by Beowuf 112
No. I do not talk of inspiration (unless in a religious sense). I have no patience for the idea that each bit of Tolkien's imagination can be correlateted with an external source by 'inspiration' or 'influence'. What I do say is that Beowulf is at the heart of Tolkien's storytelling imagination, and that his notion of the Elves is carefully developed in relation to what is found in Beowulf.

b) Tolkien describes his Elves and their relationships with Men in terms exactly opposite to Beowulf 112.
Right, and the fact that it is the exact opposite is a clue as to how he read Beowulf.

d) the human is seen as a monster in a fairy-man relationship in a Tibetan tale that is the only possible source for Beren and Luthien in other respects
This odd claim seems to arise from your notion that explanation of a story amounts to finding a similar story like it. But here is part of the problem with your method - these stories are not exactly the same, so clearly even if you are correct Tolkien was changing the story to fit his own purposes. Given that there is change, it is surely far more likely that he changed the Beowulf story (by flipping it in a mirror) than that he changed some Tibetan story that, odds are, he had never heard of.

Newborn of Lothlorien
It depends on which respect we're talking. He certainly had a positive idea of both Elves and Elves-Men relationships, and you're not born with that idea, he must have gotten it from somewhere. This somewhere is rather easier to be some story in which Elves-Men relationships are good than he looking at Beowulf and saying: "let's flip it inside out just because!"

Newborn of Lothlorien
Btw, in his unpublished papers Tolkien comments on folktales originating from China and the role of Buddhism in the diffusion of fairy-stories. He might well have read Folk Tales from Tibet. :-)

Ephtariat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:48 am It depends on which respect we're talking. He certainly had a positive idea of both Elves and Elves-Men relationships, and you're not born with that idea, he must have gotten it from somewhere. This somewhere is rather easier to be some story in which Elves-Men relationships are good than he looking at Beowulf and saying: "let's flip it inside out just because!"
Right. But Tolkien did not just look at Beowulf, he dedicated years to studying it in every which way. So it was not a 'just because' but due to the understanding that he arrived at of the relationship between Beowulf and the older oral traditions on which it draws. As I've said before, we see in the Shire and in Rohan the seeds of that distrust and suspicion of the Elves that will culminate in their identification as monsters.

At root, my sense is that you don't wish to engage with Tolkien's Beowulf studies. That would be OK if you simply went 'I don't know about this', but what you actually do is deny any relevance of that which you have not studied, to the extent that you hunt down obscure Tibetan stories and hold them up as if they were somehow of more relevance than the Old English poem that Tolkien so loved.

Newborn of Lothlorien
You criticize Shippey but in the end you make mistakes worse than his: he recognizes the importance of SGGK and Middle English as Tolkien's inspiration, which you don't except as a generic "I like that you delve into Middle English". Well, it's because I'm too well aware that Middle English even more than Old English has to do with folktales traditions spanning from East to West and that Tolkien was aware of this and looked well into it that I "hunt down obscure Tibetan stories". Instead you're content with just drinking hot water because that's the fundament of a soup, and forget that the taste in the soup is given by the other ingredients. I'm sure Tolkien himself would reproach this trend in studies nowadays.

Ephtariat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:49 pm Instead you're content with just drinking hot water because that's the fundament of a soup, and forget that the taste in the soup is given by the other ingredients.
No. I am content with drinking hot water brewed as Dwarvish tea; and I am comfortable adding a little honey to sweeten the bitter taste.

Newborn of Lothlorien
@Hill :rofl:

@Ephtariat, how about this. Put aside the Cain lines for a bit and consider the exordium to Beowulf.

Nalæes hī hine laēssan lācum tēodan
þēodgestrēonum, þon pā dydon,
þē hine æt frumsceafte forð onsendon
ǣnne ofer ȳðe umborwesende.
Þā gȳt hīe him āsetton segen g(yl)denne
hēah ofer hēafod, lēton holm beran,
gēafon on gārsecg; him wæs geōmor sefa,
murnende mōd. Men ne cunnon
secgan tō sōðe, selerædende,
hæleð under heofenum, hwā þǣm hlæste onfēng.
Beowulf, lines 43-52 (Klaeber 1922, 2-3)

With lesser gifts no whit did they adorn him,
with treasures of that people, than did those
that in the beginning sent him forth
alone over the waves, a little child.
Moreover, high above his head they set
a golden standard and gave him to Ocean,
let the sea bear him. Sad was their heart
and mourning in their soul. None can
report with truth, nor lords in their halls,
nor mighty men beneath the sky, who received that load.
Tolkien’s translation of lines 47-52 (Beowulf T&C 14)

Who are those who sent the king to his people? Forget about nomenclature - the poet is a Christian who does not wish to name pagan deities, only the old heathen monsters. But the Anglo-Saxon poet (in contrast to the lords in their halls and mighty men beneath the sky of this more ancient age of the world) seems to have a clear notion of allies or friends who dwell on the further shore of the shoreless sea.

Are you with me so far?

Newborn of Lothlorien
Yes, and you do me injustice in thinking I completely ignore Beowulf. In fact I got my PhD proposal accepted this morning and I'll have to look into how the Beowulf-Poet merges two folklore types: the Bear's Son tale and the Dragon Killer tale. I hope you will agree to assist me in this because it will be helpful to count on your expertise besides my own preparation and the Professor's supervision. Of course you will be thanked in the acknowledgments.

New Soul
Eph: That is asweome you're accepted! What is the difference between these two types of folktales you just mentioned?

Ephtariat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:10 pm In fact I got my PhD proposal accepted this morning...
May I second Aiks in congratulations!

I return to the exordium soon - in the meanwhile, I look forward to your answer to Aiks on your PhD.

Newborn of Lothlorien
The Bear's Son type was first studied by Panzer. It features these common core characteristics: a hero is raised by or descended from a bear, with bear-like strength. He and companions must guard a dwelling against a monster. The companions are defeated, but the hero wounds the creature, sending him to flight. In pursuit, the hero descends into a netherworld or underground domain. The hero often has a second round of adversaries. Other common elements are a captive princess, betrayal by a close friend or ally of the hero, and magical weapons. Some of these elements are paralleled in the Grendel story in Beowulf, others are not. Tolkien was very interested in the idea of the bear-son folktale underlying Beowulf, and pointed to several minor but illuminating characteristics supporting the assumption: Beowulf's uncouthness and appetite, the strength of his grip, and his refusal to use weapons against Grendel. He also saw Unferth as a link between folktale and legend, his (covert) roles as smith and treacherous friend standing behind his gift to Beowulf of the "hafted blade" that fails.

In the Dragon Killer (or Dragon Slayer) story (ATU 300 type) the hero acquires helpful animals through exchange or because they were born with him. He can also receive sometimes a magic object, like a sword or stick. A princess destined to be sacrificed to a dragon is offered in marriage to whoever can rescue her. The hero kills the dragon and cuts out his tongues. An impostor brings the dragon's head to the king saying it was him the one who defeated the monster, and forces an oath of secrecy to the princess. Sometimes the impostor kills the hero too, but he's resuscitated by the helpful animals. The day when the impostor is going to marry the princess the hero appears and proves he was the true Dragon-Slayer showing the dragon's missing tongues, and sometimes another token as proof, usually a gift given by the princess like a ring or a handkerchief. Unmasked the impostor the hero marries the princess.

Another example of the Dragon Slayer type is Andrew Lang's folktale of The Dragon of the North in The Yellow Fairy Book, which Tolkien knew. With help from a good magician, an evil witch, and a magic ring, the Youth of the tale is able to kill the dragon and marry the princess. However, the evil witch soon seeks revenge for the wrong the Youth did to her by stealing her magic ring. After being captured by the evil witch, the Youth is eventually rescued by the good magician. Then the Youth and the princess lived happily ever after as King and Queen.

@Ephtariat, a quotation for you from the Prologue to LotR to celebrate commencement of the path to a doctorate.
And as the days of the Shire lengthened they spoke less and less with the Elves, and grew afraid of them, and distrustful of those that had dealings with them; and the Sea became a word of fear among them, and a token of death, and they turned their faces away from the hills in the west.
These are the Hobbits of the late 3rd Age, turning away from the Tower Hills. Just imagine how fearful and mistrustful were attitudes to the Elves by the days of Beowulf and Hrothgar.

Newborn of Lothlorien
@Hill thanks for the quote. I am sure you are right on this. It's just that this is not very much my focus. I would rather talk about the Elven prejudice towards Men, because I feel that's more in line with Tolkien's "Elf-centred" focus. But I appreciate it. Truly, I do.

The thing is, I get that the Silmarillion is Elf-centered. But what I don't think people get is the way that the Hobbit narrative of LotR = mortal-centered, but in this book with the idea that, really, the Elf and the mortal perspectives are - as it were like ships that pass in the night - meeting.

So one has to look also on the mortal side of things, at least with regard to LotR.

Newborn of Lothlorien
I don't think that LotR is centered on Hobbits as a whole. I'd rather say it's centered on those few Hobbits who love the Elves. So, then again...