Undertowers - the Knock

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Guardian of the Golden Wood
RP post for visitors to Undertowers. Our first visitor is Arnyn, who sets the other rules (as I don't really know what to write here).
Arnyn wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:55 am A tall Gondorian arrived in front of the Tower's entrance. Rather unsure of Adamantian procedures, and indeed of the expectations set forth by the Undertowers Management, she took a deep breath as she assessed the building. Braying reached her ears - was there a donkey here? With a light frown, Arnyn scratched the back of her neck as she assessed the cart attached to her horse. She had been sent here with a supply of books, supposedly for a new Library in Undertowers, the Shire. However, she'd received so little instruction, she had no idea of whether she was even expected by anyone. Or whether she would simply and unequivocally be sent back on her way!

Well. There was nothing to be done for it. She approached the entrance and knocked upon the door, unwilling to simply barge in. "Hello?"
Knock, Knock

Hill stirred himself from deep tea-induced slumbers.

'Here’s a knocking indeed! If a Hobbit were porter of Mordor's main gate, he should have old turning the key.'

Knock, Knock

'Knock, knock, knock! Who’s there, i’th’ name of the minions of Sauron? Here’s a farmer from the Marish that hanged himself on th’ expectation of plenty. Come in time! Have napkins enough about you; here you’ll sweat for ’t.'

Knock, Knock

'Knock, knock! Who’s there, in th’ other wizard's name? Faith, here’s an equivocator that could swear in both the scales against either scale, who committed treason enough for Elbereth's sake yet could not equivocate over the Sea. O, come in, equivocator.'

Knock, Knock

'Knock, knock, knock! Who’s there? Faith, here’s a Bree tailor come hither for stealing out of a Shire hose. Come in, tailor. Here you may roast your Goose.'

Knock, Knock

'Knock, knock! Never at quiet.—What are you?—But this place is too cold for Mordor. I’ll minion-porter it no further. I had thought to have let in some of all professions that go the primrose way to th’ everlasting bonfire.'

Knock, Knock

'Anon, anon!'

Hill opens the door to a tall Gondorian, who seems vaguely familiar.

'Hello, Gondorian stranger. You are thrice welcome! Would you like a tour of the western tower? The Librarian @Saranna does not seem to be around right now, so perhaps you might like a cup of Dwarvish tea while you wait?'
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Hill sighed. Once again, the problem seemed to be about height, and stairs would help, but none that were portable were handy. The Gondorian stranger was so tall and the sound of Hill's voice did not reach so high. Hill coughed and tried again:

Welcome, (hopefully unarmed) stranger! The Librarian, @Saranna should be here any moment. Would you care to step inside and take a seat and a cup of Dwarvish Tea while you wait for the Library service?

Please place all knives on the table outside the door.

Newborn of Imladris
Saranna was rather late for work, having visited Aliss the donkey to see whether she was well. Reaching the Library General Visitors door, she saw a cart piled high with books, and beside it a horse cropping the grass, but no people. She was about to go inside when she heard a familiar voice; Hill appeared to be shouting somewhere nearby, and possibly inside the Library Tower. She stepped inside and found that Hill and a tall Gondorian were seated in the visitors' welcome area, talking and sipping tea supplied by smaller Hills.
'Goodness,' she cried, 'I am so sorry to have been late on such a day - I see we have an important visitor, a citizen of Gondor I think.
She hastened to join the pair at the table. and at once one of the larger small Hills appeared at her side, announcing 'Here is some tea, Madam Librarian, Miss! We've got lots more books! Shall we carry them in?'
'Not this minute, thank you. We must speak a little more with our visitor, Lady @Arnyn who has made a long journey to help us build up our library. 'But...' said the small Hill. 'But what?' said Hill, just as a huge crash of thunder broke above the towers and lightning flickered eerily about the sky.
'The books!' cried Saranna. 'The horse and cart!' cried every small Hill in sight. 'Oh no,' muttered @Hill
Remembering halfir by learning something new each day

'Well', said Hill to the tall Gondorian stranger, who was still tall even though now seated, 'I think we got god-moded inside. Likely, that is what the thunder and lightning are about. Hope you are OK with that. Never a dull moment with an Elvish Librarian.'

Hill turned to Saranna. 'The cart will be OK. All those books on top of it will keep it dry. But maybe the horse should go in the stables - which are getting a bit crowded.'

Éowyn
Éowyn
Arnyn blinked upon seeing the small figure of Hill. "Thrice welcome!" she smiled with mild surprise. "That is very welcome, indeed." Not to mention a relief, she thought. "Dwarvish tea sounds great. Is it better or worse than tea from the Shire?" she wondered, being more of a coffee drinker - but also not really being opposed to tea.

Wanting to step forward already, the stranger's additional request gave Arnyn pause. Leave all knives outside the door? "Knives, but no other weapons?" she inquired, slightly confused by the specific nature of this request. "I could take in my sword? Or a bow? Or an axe, if I had brought one?" She slanted her head and smiled. "Or did you mean all weapons? I would honestly feel better if we could agree on leaving the weapons somewhere inside, where I know no one would simply be able to pass by, take them and leave with them. My sword especially, I am rather fond of, and if it should be stolen, it would be irreplacable. Steel is steel, but the ruby in the hilt was gifted to me by a Dwarven friend," she explained, hoping that might make Hill see why it was not merely 'any sword'.

Once that was sorted, and Arnyn entered, Hill was very hospitable in offering her the promised seat as well as the tea. When someone else came in, Arnyn assumed this must be the librarian. And an Elven librarion, no less? In the Shire? This was turning out to be a place of special interest... Nodding in greeting, Arnyn offered the Elven lady a smile, and her gaze shifted between her and the one who had invited her inside as one of the little helpers, who had also brought over the tea, called the Elf 'Madam Librarian'. That was confirmed, then.
"Greetings! I'm Gondorian yes. My name is Arnyn and I was asked to transport a delivery of books here. I was not sure before, but it appears I am in the right place?"

The sound of thunder startled Arnyn slightly. Her tea moved around in her cup - although it did not spill. She put down the cup. "I cannot leave either the books or my horse outside like this," she decided. Rising from her seat, she bowed slightly. "Where are these stables?"

(OOC: @Hill - We'll have to figure something out on the weapons... Would you agree to Arnyn handing over her weapons but Hill keeping them in the tower instead? She for sure wouldn't have agreed to simply leave them outside. Saranna moving us forward has forced us to find a solution to this, however!
& @Saranna You did godmode us into a new scene, so to speak :lol: I'm just gonna go with it this time, but you are only in charge of your character and of the little Hills if that is what you and Hill agreed on. But you can't make my character do or say anything without at least my consent :) )
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Arnyn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:41 pm The sound of thunder startled Arnyn slightly. Her tea moved around in her cup - although it did not spill. She put down the cup. "I cannot leave either the books or my horse outside like this," she decided. Rising from her seat, she bowed slightly. "Where are these stables?"
Hill jumped up and spoke hastily. 'Please do not trouble yourself, tall and heavily armed stranger. We will see to the horse and books right away!' Hill opened the door, whistled, and herded all the little Hills out of the tower as hastily as decency would allow.

'What's going on?' 'Why did you do the whistle?' The babble never ceased! 'Hush-up! And trot, on the double. Let's put some daylight between us and this tower.'

After we got down into the valley and began snaking our way west towards the ruins of the Wāt-Fairy, I explained. 'Did you see that sword with the ruby? Do you have any idea how many weapons that tall stranger is carrying? Book seller indeed! I tell you what I think this visit is about - our good Librarian has god-moded one-time too often. This is out of our hands, little Hills.'

'We cannot just leave @Saranna!'

'O yes we can.'

'Where are we going?'

'To the Wāt-Fairy.'

'Why?'

'The Wāt-Fairy will be able to tell us when the time comes.'

'What time will that be?'

'It māy be the time that the coast is clear and we can return home. Or it māy be the time that we need to set out on a quest to find a new Librarian. We must wāt and see.'

Newborn of Imladris
Saranna could not help but feel that she had not dealt at all well with the first visit to the library of an important guest. Left alone with Arnyn, she bowed to the Elf, and asked her to be reseated.
'I apologise deeply. Librarians are renowned for becoming so immersed in their books and shelves and plans that they sometimes lose sight of the courtesy and welcome they should show at all times. Your visit is a great honour, and I beg you to accept my apology and a new welcome. As for the strange outbreak of thunder and lightning, I had no part in that; I feel I should go at once to retrieve the books from the cart. Will it be suitable if I move them into the hall, and place them on tables and sesks, with the intention of checking each one for damage as soon as possible? I will also offer help with your horse, though I fear I have little skill in the care of equines. Perhaps in the stable below we might seek permission to use an ampty stall for the time being?'

She stopped speaking, and bowed again.
Remembering halfir by learning something new each day

Éowyn
Éowyn
Perplexed by the sudden exit of all of the Hills, Arnyn stared after them before finally returning her gaze to the librarian, Saranna. "There is no need for you to apologize, Lady Librarian," Arnyn reassured her. "Perhaps you might salvage the books while I concern myself with my horse? That way we each get to safeguard what matters most to us?" the Gondorian suggested with a soft smile. "I will take my mount to go to this stable you mention - and seek accommodations for him there. I can return to help you with the books afterward. The people back home will want to know whether they arrived in good condition or not - seeing as they are a gift to help build your new library."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength