The Michel Delving Mathom-House (OOC)

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Elder of Imladris
Dwim wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:51 am @Allafyrefleorhtlig, not a worry! :smiley24: Now there's an idea for a new RP thread: Hobbit Tour-Guides (quite useful for Hobbits too as most of them have never stepped outside of their own towns) :smiley9:
Also known as the Shire Walking Club :smiley10: If we're suggesting old threads that could be reactivated, what about the Walking Club? Would anyone be interested in joining?

Oh, and welcome (back?) to the Shire, @Lokktar Ogar! The "weapons" part in your new character submission is great :smiley9: Shirriff Took will take extra care not to anger Mr Undertree... :smiley9:

Storyteller
@Nolewen, I would love to join the Walking Club if it came back. I'm sure it would be a good activity to attract members of other kingdoms to RP in the Shire too. :smiley24:

Sage of Khazad-dûm
I'd love to do a walking club too!
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

Elder of Imladris
Dwim wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:00 pm @Nolewen, I would love to join the Walking Club if it came back
Queen Nerwen wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:12 pm I'd love to do a walking club too!
Great! Would anyone like to run it?

Orc
Hey @Nolewen, thanks (back is correct haha)! I hope I'm not intruding on the Market or anything. It's my first time posting in the Shire. I was just enjoying the little barrow-downs arc with @Dwim, @Aodh Hammerhelm, and yourself. It's cool that you all have a Sherrif character.
Would it be alright if I jumped in on the Shire walk?
I too am curious to hear what y'all decide on as far as 3rd or 4th age.
Proprietor of Pakon Stazim
He/him

Ent Ancient
Third or fourth-ing Walking club! I used to enjoy that one. I don't want to run it because I'm afraid I am a very flighty person and sometimes I just disappear! But if someone opens it I'll be there with a hobbit ready to walk my hairy little feet.

Chieftain of The Mark
@Lokktar Ogar @Nolewen @Dwim
Timothy Rankweed is really being :whip: hard pressed - loving it. It's great when a story arc fleshes out with help from other great contributors.
- he hath not forgotten Image the face of his fathers -

Storyteller
@Aodh Hammerhelm, we're all being hard pressed! It's a good way to develop our characters. :smiley8: Thanks to you and @Nolewen for showing interest in my stall and helping me develop the stories surrounding it.

@Lokktar Ogar, hi! I'm glad you decided to post in the Shire. :smiley24: If the Walking Club starts up again, we would of course love to have you there.

I would prefer not to run the Walking Club myself if someone else is interested in doing so. But if the only thing stopping the club from coming back is the lack of a thread runner, I can put my head down and plan something out for us, and put the activity together. It certainly seems like there is enough interest in the thread to justify its return!

Storyteller
I've been thinking and have decided that I would in fact like to run the Walking Club, so for those of you interested, look out for a new thread coming soon!

Black Númenórean
@Dwim - Yay! I just decided the other day that Pearl enjoys exploring the Shire so she will definitely be showing up.
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Storyteller
@Tarawen - That's grear to hear that Pearl will be showing up, and that she's not too traumatised by the recent antics at the Green Dragon. :smiley8:

The thread is up for anyone who wants to take part!

Elder of Imladris
Thanks, @Lokktar Ogar! Of course it's alright. Dwim opened the thread, you're welcome to join.

Thanks, @Dwim and @Aodh Hammerhelm for the adventures at the Market! Shirriff Took only rarely gets such an opportunity for exciting action.

Also, thanks, Dwim for deciding to open and guide the Walking Club! Amalda hurried to join. :smiley8: Maybe we should announce its existence around the Plaza, see who else might be interested in joining.

Storyteller
@Nolewen, I am very pleased to see that Amalda has joined! I've shared it in the Global Announcements thread, but you're right, announcing it in the others is not a bad idea either. I'll get onto that. :smiley24:

Edit: Well, the only other kingdom I could find with an announcements thread was KD! So I've advertised there too. I don't really like the idea of spamming other kingdom's OOC/planning threads with advertisements so I guess I'll leave it at that.

Balrog
Feeling bored and need a challenge? Want to test yourself in the ultimate game of darts? Want to heckle, bother, and taunt some dart players? Come on down to On the Rocks and enter...
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Craftsman
Frostbite wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:05 pm Feeling bored and need a challenge? Want to test yourself in the ultimate game of darts? Want to heckle, bother, and taunt some dart players? Come on down to On the Rocks and enter...
Feels rather insensitive to post this in here, @Frostbite :smiley9:
Some think to be strong is to be hard like stone. Others know to be strong is to endure like stone.

Storyteller
Here I was talking about not spamming other kingdoms OOC threads with ads, and then of all ads, this is the one we get spammed with! 😆 (We do have the Bywater Bulletins thread for this sort of thing).

But yes @Frostbite, that game does sound fun and I will be there to post soon! Just not as a hobbit, I don't think...

Balrog
In my defense, I did wonder if I should post it here, but I thought it would be rude to give everyone else notice and not you guys.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Storyteller
@Aodh Hammerhelm, apologies if Dwim's response in the market has wrapped up our RP interaction too suddenly! I felt that impatience and frustration were the most accurate feelings for him to respond with. Thank you for helping develop the story of my character (for his collection is a big part of his story) and bringing him to the sudden realisation that he will have to scale back on the darker side of his collection. He is maturing and becoming exhausted by all the suspicion! :grin:

Chieftain of The Mark
@Dwim

That's quite alright, Mr Rankweed should have played things less suspiciously, mayhap, and allowed his hobbitish nature to come forward. He is driven by need though (and his sub-creator, a slave to continuity, bent him to his will).

It's been a lovely interchange though, and I thank you for it kindly it, though 5 silvers for the box seems a paltry sum...

I hope that Ringbold Took , AKA Timothy Rankweed alias Fallon Underwood, will make this up to Dwim someday.

Perhaps the pair shall meet again, if Ringbold returns from his perilous quest into the wilds east of the Wold?

Storyteller
Well to be fair, I didn't actually know the worth of silver in the Shire, so I just went with five coins! 😆 Yes let's have them meet again some day.

Black Númenórean
@Lirimaer I am dying laughing at Henna in the walking club. Sheer delight. :lol:

Warrior of Imladris
*g* ty
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Storyteller
Henna is a star, that's for sure! :grin: I love her icon too.

Storyteller
@Menolly, I've been thinking, and you can of course tell me to go away, since it's your thread... But what do you think of expanding the Who Am I game to Who/What/Where Am I? I suspect we'd need to close the current thread and start a new one for that, but I thought it might be a good option to keep things going before we start recycling characters. Anyway, just an idea. What do you think?

Forester of Lothlorien
@Lobelia Brindleway - No worries. I've been away now for awhile - work and life were crazy so I had to take some time off from posting. I'll try to post a reply either tonight or tomorrow. Sorry for the wait!
Characters: Sidra (Elf), Leilani & Elva (Hobbits), Solia (Human)

Chef
@Dwim that's definitely OK with me! I seem to recall we used to rotate threads so that some were "who am I" and some were "where am I," but I like allowing any/all of the above in one thread. Do you want to start the new thread?
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Storyteller
@Menolly, cool! Yeah I don't mind starting it. Since I'm answering the questions in this round of Who Am I, I'll end the thread once this round is done, and give the first round in the new thread to the successful guesser. :wink:

Thain of The Mark
Lovely hobbity people. A friend of mine is thinking of joining the plaza. They want to play a Hobbit in Rohan, the idea being that it is a relative of Meriadoc following in the hero's footsteps on a kind of grand tour. Is it ok if they claim to be a Brandbuck or is it generally frowned upon to claim to be related to the four (five) hobbit heroes from the books. The brandybuck family is pretty big, and practically everyone in the Shire is related to everyone else in some manner or other, but thought it would be polite to check first before they turned up with Brandybuck in their name claiming to be second or third cousin. Anyone familiar enough with the family tree to know where he could place himself?

Warrior of Imladris
As an NPC-hobbit descended from the vast Took family of which I did absolutely no research whatsoever and promptly made up a branch I was happy with, I have this to say on the subject to your friend: call yourself whatever you like, and enjoy it! :morocks:

If he does fancy research and fitting in to the whole Brandybuck family, who clearly were quite prolific, he could fit himself in anywhere into the 'various descendents/many descendents' of Sadoc and Marroc which are not individually named in Merry's particular tree.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Ent Ancient
I agree with @Lirimaer. My hobbit NPC's mom is a Brandybuck so I guess she must be somehow distantly related to Merry in some way but I haven't really thought about it much to be honest.

There are plenty of Tooks around the Shire, too, who theoretically would be related to Pippin, so I think its perfectly fine.

Storyteller
From a hobbit's perspective, I would say there is no issue with it either. In fact you'll find that most members of our kingdom have hobbits with famous surnames, as did most of the members on the Old Plaza. I personally believe being a first cousin or a niece or nephew of a canon/named character would be crossing the line. But I certainly think that second or third cousin would be far enough removed.

As for myself, I made my main character a Took, and I didn't have any reservations about doing so, for some of these families were large enough that there were sure to be unnamed members (and the Shire is small enough that it would be hard not to be distantly related anyway). If I was in your friend's shoes, I wouldn't worry too much. Let's just have fun and welcome new members with open arms. :party:

Thain of The Mark
@Lirimaer Thank you for such a swift response, and the family tree is very helpful. “Absolutely no research whatever and promptly made up a branch I was happy with” would honestly probably have been my approach also, but I have a lot more confidence and know how wonderful you all are; it so helpful for a potential new player to see such a swift, warm response so thank you!

@Lailorn I figured a lot of people didn’t really give it much thought given how big these families were, but seeing someone outright say it and getting the seal of approval will also hopefully encourage him to sign up and post. Thank you.

@Dwim I’m very grateful you responded, I think my friend is particularly relieved to know that such a respectable hobbit approves, and glad to hear we gauged the limit (first cousin/niece/nephew is too close) about right too. I’m definitely hoping he decides to give it a try. Even though he doesn’t have much time to join in, he’s been having a lot of fun reading posts recently and he’s definitely seen everyone’s replies here so thank you.

Warrior of Imladris
@Eamila Bolger After that opening line, I was expecting you to rugby-tackle me to the ground! :lol:

Chef
@Lirimaer Lol! I really like where things are going. I actually was writing a post in which I was going to do something like that, but you were quicker than I was with a new response so I changed it :smile:
Please state the nature of the medical emergency!

Warrior of Imladris
I await your action-hero response with bated breath! :grin:

Chef
I noticed the There and Back Again thread in here, and I temporarily got it confused with another thread I used to help run "back in the day." I was going to report the reasons for my recent two-week long absence from the Plaza until I saw it was more of an archive. What was the thread called again where we could report our comings and goings? I would be happy to get that back up and running once the need for it comes up again.

So we have a new hobbit child here in my house. My daughter Alyssa was born last week. Yes, I named her after my Plaza name! Hubby (EldorDasatra) and I are now proud hobbit parents.
Last edited by Istya Alassea on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Númenórean
Aww congratulations on the new arrival, @Istya Alassea ! Love the name and the Plaza connection! <3

Warrior of Imladris
Oh congrats, @Istya Alassea! How lovely!

Chef
Congratulations @Istya Alassea! I missed you over the last couple of weeks and had been wondering if the baby had arrived. I love the name, and the plaza connection! :clap:
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Storyteller
Congratulations @Istya Alassea!! I'm very happy for you, and that is so cool that her name is Plaza-inspired! 🧡

The old thread for comings and goings was indeed called the There and Back Again Office. I was actually thinking the other day that it would be useful! But I was more thinking it could suit OoME better now (making it more inclusive), since we're all such a tight knit community.

Chef
Thanks, everyone! And thanks, @Dwim ! I will consider posting over in OoME then. During my time away, one of my Shire Plaza and Facebook friends nudged me and asked me how I was doing. So I knew I needed to say something. I felt a little guilty leaving the current Brewery tour unattended. It was all for a good reason, so I don't feel too guilty. But still!

Hehe, I think it's getting close to lunch. I just heard her grunting awake from her position in her playpen. She is soo cute!

Chef
Sorry for the seeming double post, but I am feeling super inspired after my stay in the hospital last week. I have asked before about reopening the Shire Medical Clinic/Hobbit Hospital - and now I think I can create and run the thread.

My hesitance to just leap on it and re-open it is knowing the Riddermark opened up their own infirmary recently. What do y'all think?

Storyteller
I don't see any harm in both the Shire and the Riddermark having infirmaries. I think the hobbit hospitals/shire clinics have always been pretty casual places to post which would set it apart. I don't know enough about first aid or patient care to put my hand up to play as a doctor/nurse or anything like that, but I would gladly offer up one of my characters as a patient. And if help is needed, I could perhaps play the part of a receptionist & medical records-keeper or something like that.

Ent Ancient
Ohh congratulations Istya!! :smooch: And don't ever feel guilty about not posting! We love having you of course but your family and new baby are much more important.

I agree with Dwim. Fangorn also has the Healing Grove and Gondor has the Healing Houses but I think they are all a little bit different and different enough that I think it would be fine to open one here, too! :smile:

Ent Ancient
@Balfur - apologies for my bumble in the Walking Club re: Dik being a dwarf!! Clearly I had an attention lapse and I have since modified my error! I will claim I got you in the brewery and walking club mixed up as my excuse though it is a thin one, and I am still remembering how to RP... :googly:

Balrog
@Lirimaer I literally burst out laughing at your latest Walking Club post, you are probably 100% on with Jorgy's attention span at the moment. :rofl:

Craftsman
@Lailorn No worries, I think Dikkie is big enough to look like a shaven dwarf *shudders*

Also, @Istya Alassea, Congratulations with your hobbit child! Alyssa is a beautiful name!
Some think to be strong is to be hard like stone. Others know to be strong is to endure like stone.

Warrior of Imladris
:smile: Nice reaction!

Black Númenórean
@Silarien posting this here so as not to clog up the game thread with OOCs - sorry about that! I'm a tad mortified and will count people, not posts, next time. :embarrassed: :googly:

Balrog
@merSILess edited the post with Jorgy's position and (like Tara) posting here so as not to clog up the actual game thread