Ages of Arda IV: Mantle of Darkness - Historical RPG OOC Thread & Sign-ups

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
New Soul
@Beowulf , no worries, my friend! It's quite alright that Sauron believes Angrod is coming to Aegnor. Things like this happen in a war so we can gloss over that tiny error! :clap:

@Celebrin , I'm glad you're down with what we've planned for Maedhros, Lantaelen, and Edan today on messenger! I'll be giving the Himring folks an update soon.

@Laintaen , I loved your Orc RP'ing!!! I need to enlist you to play villains more often! I'll be giving you another update when I post for Himring soon.

Maps and posts coming!
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

New Soul
@Tharmáras spoiler alert, it won't be death by cows :rofl: (yes, Sean Bean has been killed by cows, not his weirdest death, don't ask me how or why I know these things :googly: I drink and I know things :lol: ). Actually the inspiration for Galen's name is Aelius Galenus, better known as Galen of Pergamon one of the most famous doctors from the Roman Empire. And if proto-Taylus doesn't shout some sort of "look what happened to me Galen" one-liners I shall be severely disappointed :lol: Feel free for Taylus have do the same to Morana, she already thinks he's a bit of an idiot :lol: and is debating weather to offer hemlock or hellebore to him :lol:

Regarding the weapons, first glad you like them! ^_^ I have a book about those types of weapons from the collection housed at the City Museum of Split (the book is currently at my friend's place, I should have it sometime next week). There's a lot more photos and description of the the weapons you already seen, and I a lot more, especially smaller weapons if my memory serves me right, and weapons that the lower classes would use.
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Loremaster of the Herd
Tharmáras wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:18 am
Nessa and I were discussing that Ulfang's faction would be nomadic whereas Bor's faction would be sendentary; Tolkien even says[/color] "The people of Bor, who were worthy folk and tillers of the earth. Of them, it is said, came the most ancient of the Men that dwelt in the north of Eriador in the Second Age and after-days." - The War of the Jewels: The Grey Annals.
Thanks a ton for this quote -- and for the rest of the v informative post. I'll keep it in mind.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

High Warden of Tower
Right... I should somehow pay closer attention to this, and come up with a character or two. If ye truly and honestly need another human in AoA. :googly:

Black Númenórean
@Pele Alarion One of us! One of us!

@Tharmáras Holidays + getting ready for this massive move is slowing me down, but I'll be there for you with Indilë and Ziltang as soon as I can :winkkiss:

@David Bowie I am LOSING MY MIND over your last post!! FOR THARGELION!!! :fence: :hobbyhorse:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

New Soul
Thanks for assuring me, @Jareth, all good 😘. We need your Lúthien and Eöl as much as Indilë and Ziltang, too. No rush though, I understand it's a super busy time for you; I'm glad you're always dependable and brilliant, especially for AoA 💓. Aredhel for Eöl soon!

Balrog
@Jareth I'm so glad you liked it! :grin: it was a great way to make Finnbarr look as awesome as I've always believed him to be then create a couple newbies to be even more incredible. And of course, all the sea shanties!
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
I'm paragraphs deep into starting the Gondolin FA 455 scene for @Ercassie :winkkiss: , @David Bowie , and @Skwovet (replying back to you as Turgon). It's been great plotting with everyone just mentioned in private concerning the riveting drama of this time. Needless to say, our Gondolin characters - canon and NPCs and Eagles of the Crissaegrim - will always have plenty to do before the Fall RP... I'll be finishing that sometime today. The council scene set during Aredhel's timeline (organized with Cassie and Frost) which was builded up by Cassie and I over the summer will finally begin sometime before New Years, I hope.

@Pele Alarion , I've wanted you to play mortals here in AoA for years! Honestly and truly need another human in this series since we have a greater Elven focus. Mortals are becoming now a huge part of the saga and will have greater prominence as history hurtles on to the Second Age where the Edain become the Numenoreans. What have you and Cassie plotted about concerning your character or two? Can I help in any way? I would love for them to interact with mine :smooch: . We should write more together.

High Warden of Tower
@Tharmáras, I can throw together a character; however... I looked over the thread, but it is such a collection of long posts, banners, and icons that it only makes me perplexed. Who said Gondor's posting requirements were tough? This is like 100 levels more complicated. :tongue: No clue where to even start in this all. Speak of being intimidated, though I am by no means a newbie. lol

New Soul
Gondor's posting requirements made me the writer and GM I have been for years, @Pele Alarion 😘. I know AoA looks intimidating. Well, I've been told this rather than actually believing it. Some folks likes to show off what their characters look like so that's why there is an abundance of icons. A lot of participants have much to respond to or let their own vivid imaginations run to their heart's content in solo material here. There's banners signifying the place being written about, they're pretty helpful. You are definitely not a newbie but a seasoned writer and ruler to boot, one of the best which is why I've always wanted you here ⚘. Anyways, how to begin....

It all depends who your Mortals are. Do you know the Silmarillion well? If not that's okay, Cassie and I can talk to you about what each region is like. If you have any humans living in Hithlum and one of them is a soldier, he or she could be a commander living at Barad Eithel, a tower near the mountains of Ered Wethrin overlooking the mighty river Sirion. He or she could be standing guard at predawn watch in the winter. Seeing rivers of flame destroying swaths of the snowy grassland, Ard-galen and elven riders fleeing from the consuming flame. He or she can run to the council chamber where the elven High King Fingolfin (me) and your mortal Chieftain - Hador (Played by me since Turin Ringhun is busy) - have hastily assembled, asking what they should do. You can notice Dwarrow Elf's NPC, Earcolante, an elven cavalry captain, having collapsed with burn wounds who arrived shortly after you entered.

If you're a human of Dorthonion instead, a soldier serving at a hill tower called Mindo Manheren above a pine forest, you can have your warrior asleep but suddenly alerted hearing alarum bells signifying a present danger to escape from. Vacating the building as it's caught on fire, you catch sight of fellow soldiers Nathaniel and Beledor (my NPCs), Margh and Mads (Cassie's NPCs) pulling the elven lord Rincion (My NPC) out of a pile of flaming rubble.

I think that's the best way to begin. If you have civilian mortals I can let you know how to start them too. It'll get easier once you begin writing and following one of the storylines.

High Warden of Tower
I'm not too much into the Silmarillion, but can page through it to brush up on knowledge slightly. However, I think I'll be able to squeeze in somewhere (perhaps Dorthonion) sooner or later, if that is fine to drop in simply. :wink:

New Soul
Dorthonion is getting the most activity so far in the RPG which is good since it seems to be Tolkien's focus during this war.

I suggest reading The Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin and Beren & Lúthien chapters since that's our source material for this RPG.

If you want to follow the Maeglin storyline, you could read Of Maeglin. 😁
Last edited by Eriol on Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Soul
Pele Alarion wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:55 pm Who said Gondor's posting requirements were tough? This is like 100 levels more complicated. :tongue:
*pokes head in to comment* Gondor is where you get your master's thesis and AoA is like getting accepted into a PhD program :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
@Nessa Saelind

New Soul
Week 0. Lecture 1. Introductions, basic information, main literature, suplementary material, consultation hours... If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to ask :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
Devising an Alma Mater song for Tharmáras University, extra credit. 🎶🎙

Hatholdir's arrogance is now corrupting me, obviously. 😏

Balrog
Tharmáras University's rival is, naturally, Cirith Ungol State, where all the orcs learn how to be devious and violent, the trolls learn acupuncture and there are scholarships available for aspiring villains.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
Cirith Ungol State is also renowned for its experimental programs that have produced some fascinating results. Among them a Fleeg. :lol:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
I can't wait honestly for the next Gorgol post to go up I really really want to do my next post for that - I may do another Mel and her father type post as she can get a bit of practice before taking a few extra men hunting in the woods since the refugees will need more food, but would love to do them both together.

New Soul
Your wish is my command @Fuin Elda. Image

I really enjoyed writing my recent response to it. I hope when this confrontation between Gorgol and Emeldir is over you and I can have more opportunities to pit our characters against each other in some way.

High Lord of Imladris
Hahaha If me making such a comment is all that is needed to get you to post more @Annúnfalas you will probably rue the day you posted such a response! I am certain we will find more times to pit characters against each other I am quite fond of epic battles.

New Soul
We've got countless battles left in this RPG before the Beren and Luthien half which ends it! Of course, there's plenty more in the RPGs to come as well. Emeldir's Mount Foen base will be attacked, I have planned, before Barahir reunites with his wife and the westward exodus. So looking forward to Fuin's canon character defending her high ground, slaughtering Orcs trying to fight uphill.

My Gondolin scene for Cassie, Tarawen, Frost is almost finished (hoping to be done with it today)! Finishing my second Gondor post before I sleep. Lots of updates coming soon for AoA, especially for my Dorthonion folks.

New Soul
@Fuin Elda Oh no what have I done? :lol: I look forward to it all @Tharmáras. <3

New Soul
The next three RPGs are heavily centered on war (Nirnaeth, Falas Destruction, Sack of Nargothrond, Ruin of Doriath, the Fall of Gondolin, and the Third Kinslaying and how are characters struggle with Morgoth tightening the noose until finally....the light rises and we're out of the dark (for the First Age) once the War of Wrath has concluded. You're gonna love all the epic times ahead, @Annúnfalas ! Did you need me to post for Earmana and Ann as Tharmaras at Minas Tirith when I update Serech for Fuin with Arasoron? Or you're good with just introducing like how we spoke about on Discord?

New Soul
No worries @Tharmáras I think I can manage to introduce them both as we discussed on Discord. :)

New Soul
@Annúnfalas an @Fuin Elda , y'all let me know when you both would like for me to post as Morwen's dad who's with Emeldir by the Whitehorn longhouse, getting the chieftess retreating toward her castle. In that same post I'll have Beren, Morwen, and Nessa's Beorian character being attacked so we can fight there a bit before the evacuation toward Mount Foen.

I'll have Aegnor engage Ziltang in the same one so he can die with Angrod who will battle Sauron soon, falling near Bregolas' corpse in Ladros.

More posts coming from me soon! We're on a roll, folks, let's keep it up! At this rate we'll be midway through the RPG with Beren and Lúthien by May. That's the goal.

High Lord of Imladris
@Tharmáras Sent you a message on Discord about bringing in Morwen's dad and at least one other comment I had on this may need to chat with @Annúnfalas on how many posts back and forth we want to do.

Got Melviriel and Morcundir on their way doing more things for now.

Balrog
In the next couple of days (in between apartment and job hunting and packing) I'm either going to write up Stellarvore, Pt 2 or the thematic introduction of Ulfang and his clan of Easterlings, haven't quite decided which one yet :lol: the perils of having too many interesting storylines

New Soul
It's a pleasure to plot about it with you and Ann in our Discord channel, Fuin!

Oh wow, you posted a part one of Ulfang, I missed @The King in Yellow ? Do you, Andro, and Nessa need me to pop in as my demon and an Elven refugee of the Bragollach yet?

New Soul
Well, thank you, @Tharmáras for almost giving me a heart attack in this lovely (it ain't lovely) last morning of 2020! :pie: I thought I misread what Frost wrote here and went to check. Luckily for my heart and brain cells, Ulfang is still in the process of being written instead of posted :lol: I'll see myself out now. *exits, stage left*
She/her.

New Soul
If I was going to have a heart attack, I very much considered you perishing with me, @Nessa Saelind . I hope that pleases you greatly to be so well thought of, my friend. :smiley15:

New Soul
Who would provide the wailing women and the substantial amounts of mead for your epic funeral then? :tongue: :rofl:
She/her.

New Soul
According to the OP of my cruise, there are many Bree-lander and Gondorian brewers who would supply the mead at my epic funeral. Most of my friends are female, in all honesty, so I'm sure there will be many sobbing ladies there. :rofl:

Balrog
Whoops! I may have written that bit in a confusing manner, I blame the several pints of beer I consumed while plotting and outlining. Either, way Ulfang and his Easterlings have arrived! Hopefully the violence isn't too bad but still gets across how cruel Ufang and his clans have become. Personally, I'd say it was a 4/10 but let me know if I should scale it back a bit in the future.

@Tharmáras I put the year as 460 since the Easterlings don't appear in Beleriand until 463 but I can change the date if we need it to move forward or back.

New Soul
FA 460 can be okay to lessen the years of travelling a bit. I need to read it today before or after my work break, I'll let you know what I think! And will see how I can start writing my demon and Telerin Elf refugee respectively for you @The King in Yellow and Nessa and Andro!

Violence is okay with me - we're going to see Idrasaith, my Mole woman, devising crucifixion in Ever Beyond.

It's alright, I had some wine when I decided Beren has PTSD in the Gondor forum, lol.

New Soul
The King in Yellow wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:01 pm I blame the several pints of beer I consumed while plotting and outlining.
I don't know what beer you're drinking but I approve of this writing method! To say the results are brilliantly spectacular would be putting it mildly. Did I detect a hint of Germanic tribes influence here?
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
The number of OOC posts in here this morning is too damn high I can't deal with this amount of stuff to read first thing when I wake up.

That said the new posts for information the humans and such will be helpful in making proto Mylien, I'm thinking she will have at least some questionable blood line lol.

New Soul
Just Easterling stuff and silly posts, @Fuin Elda , you're good 🤣. I'm glad we've been helpful enough you can build proto-Mylien soon.

Balrog
@Tharmáras giving me free reign to be violent might backfire on us, but for now... :mwahaha: :stab:

@Nessa Saelind A bit of Germanic tribes, a bit of Bronze Age chieftain, and a healthy dose of good old Vlad Tepes :googly:

@Fuin Elda blame the fact that I woke up at 3am and couldn't go back to sleep, and questionable bloodlines are the best bloodlines

High Lord of Imladris
@Tharmáras I'm good you're terrible :lol: making me worry about what new posts and plots you've got going on.

@The King in Yellow 100% agreement there. I know there are a few cases of Easterling and men of the West bloodlines so she'll likely come from one of those. (which means I MAY have to uhhhh come up with a character to help you in the chaos of violence in this thread.)

New Soul
@The King in Yellow - I clocked the ziggurats :nod: the smallish part of me that loves ancient history was Mesopothania represent! :lol: And honestly who doesn't like a bit of Vlad the Impaler every now and then :lol: (The Ottomans would be the answer to that question I'd think :lol: )
She/her.

New Soul
I still haven't read it yet because of work but, speaking of Vlad the Impaled, I have a brutal tribe of Rhudaur Hill-Men- the Red Shrikes - following my sorceress Marika - who impale their enemies.

You should be excited about new plots and posts I have going on @Fuin Elda 😘. You could have an Easterling with Ulfang who marries a mortal of the Edain following one of the Feanorians like Maedhros or Maglor, ancestors of Mylien.

Edit: I'm reading your Ulfang post and loving it, @The King in Yellow !! You're portraying the antihero theme well which we decided on together! "Ulfang, at first, had detested the idea of hewing corpses and displaying them as a means of intimidation, yet now, twenty years on, it seemed the least of the things he had done. "The display of bodies was now a perfunctory performance by the victors of a battle, a warning to the losing side that they will receive no mercy, even in death." Idrasaith will be inspired by this when she makes the cross. The skin masks and flesh-eating, great gory stuff! You are a phenomenal Ulfang! I l like how you made a name for the Balrogs, too.

“Word has been sent to us, a messenger from the West. An emissary of the enemy." Thanks for giving me an intro, Frost! I'll post sometime this week for you!

New Soul
First of all happy New Year people! If we could have a peaceful one filled with time for research and writing it would be grand, thanks! :winkkiss:

Sice Frost made an awesome introduction of Ulfang and his people, my plan was to introduce Bor's wife (who in keeping with the B theme I named Bahar) and everyday life in the settlement they are currently at. @Androthelm @Tharmáras if you're ok with it, the Sindarin elf could arrive at the settlement (which I am currently basing on the medieval town of Vrana (seeing as I have cadastre scans of it somewhere), a small town in Dalmatia near Lake Vrana - if you guys have any other suggestions let me know and I'll happily work that in), be offered food and shelter and whatever else is needed before the offer is made and discussions start. Now, if all goes well (fingers crossed) this should be ready by Wednesday I hope.
She/her.

Loremaster of the Herd
Happy New Year everyone! @Nessa Saelind that sounds good to me. Just basing the settlement's shape on Vrana, or is there more inspiration you want to draw? Let me know either way. I can also do an introductory post for Bor specifically in the settlement before or after you do Bahar. What's your preference?

As far as what's been posted already goes -- @The King in Yellow your post was spectacular. How on earth am I suppose to introduce Bor as somebody anywhere near as impressive? Five men appeared from behind Ulfang... Chills.

New Soul
@Androthelm - I was thinking of adapting some of the shape and buildings from Vrana to Bor's settlement, this etching (although it's from the Ottoman period, not strictly the Middle Ages) serving as an inspiration. I imagined the settlement as a permanent residence for Bor, his family and his people. They have been living there for generations and that's why they have a fort with strong walls and other buildings. The recent change in climate, that's affecting their food supplies, and increased Orc raids would be the main reason why they are actively considering the abandonment of their settlement.

Re the posts, I'm ok either way. :-) If you want Bor and his sons (and added retinue) can be hunting or fighting off an orc raid, while Bahar and the other women are in the settlement. Since I'll mostly be sticking to everyday life and culture scenes until we get this migration actually migrating :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
That sounds great, @Nessa Saelind and @Androthelm ! I'll be the youngest son of Bor if that's alright in addition to my Sindarin refugee fellow.

I haven't read this yet but I will tonight https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrana_(town)

Remember, Bor and his family and faction are honorable people. Farmers (having a rough time because of their climate issues and the Orc threat) and good warriors. Can't stess enough that they are moral in counterpoint to Ulfang and his family and group. We need to see that. Nessa having the Elf provided for is an excellent means of depicting how nice the Bor clan is.

Andro, expanding on what Nessa offered, Bor and his boys and their retinue could be hunting just as an Orc raid falls upon them. My Sindarin Elf and his wandering refugee band out of Beleriand, having fled the Bragollach, could arrive in the nick of time, aiding Bor & co. He could bring them home to Balar and she can help the Elves settle in before my Elf speaks of fertile Beleriand and its need for rescuers.

Sounds good, Nessa and Andro? I'll reply on our Discord messenger tonight, Nessa!

New Soul
@Tharmáras - it's ok with me. Just don't make trouble for your mother and you'll get food on the table :lol:

Would it be alright if we take the famous Bread & Salt hospitality ceremony from Martin's ASoIaF series for Bor and his people? So Bahar can offer this to the elf (elves?) upon arrival. Hospitality in antiquity was taken very seriously since the host was responsible for his guest and was obliged to provide whatever help (even legal) if something happened. It doesn't need to be that specific hospitality ceremony, but bread is available and salt is an expensive commodity so again stresses how seriously Bor and Bahar take their obligations.
She/her.

Balrog
@Tharmáras What can I say? Villains, antiheroes, and antivillains are my jam! I love the idea that Ulfang thinks all of this will one day just be a part of the past, that his cruelty will eventually bring victory and he can just go back to the way he used to be. Poor, poor Ulfang. I'm so glad you like the Melechesh reference! It's a combination of Hebrew and Aramaic meaning "King of Fire" which I thought very appropriate for the balrogs. It's also the name of a black metal band I love so whenever I can slip in a reference you know I will! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Feel free to take as many liberties as you need and make up as much as you need, I've gotten very good at going with the improv flow

@Nessa Saelind & @Androthelm, I set the standard for the Easterlings and you're going to come in and top it. I have no doubt! It helps too, to have a mirror image to work from so you know what not to do (ie, don't eat your enemies or wear their faces into battle :lol:)

Loremaster of the Herd
@Nessa Saelind thanks for the etching. I think positioning Bor and his folks as generally more slow moving / settled / domestic will also help in distinguishing from @The King in Yellow's Ulfang. Part of me even wants to introduce Bor & Sons at home, for the full contrast -- but I like the orc hunting as well, especially as @Tharmáras suggests to bring some of the characters together.

As far as the bread & salt goes, I like that a lot. I'm reminded actually of the references to similar hospitalities from Two Towers -- Eomer's claim that the stranger should name themselves first, for instance, or the Three Hunters thinking that they would greet an old wandering man more kindly in happier days. All things to have in mind, I think.

The orc-raid on the hunters is a good pitch, I think. I can open with that, and then @Nessa Saelind we'll bring the survivors home to show off your town. The hunting party will be Bor and his sons, and maybe some others? That way we can again parallel / contrast Ulfang and his orc-executors men. Plus that gives me some red shirts to drop, when the ambush hits.

Which son do you want, @Tharmáras? I can't seem to find anything on their ages and orders, but it's Borlach, Borlad, and Borthand, take your pick.

New Soul
@Androthelm - that's great. If it helps you can start in the town, preparing for the hunt. They need to supplement their food supplies, so we can say they primarily went hunting for food and they ran into or surprised an Orc party. Fingers crossed for wild game for dinner. :-)

As for the son's ages, if I managed to get this right :googly: according to the info on Tolkien Gateway Borlad is the oldest, Borlach is the middle son and that would make Borthand the youngest son. I think @Tharmáras said he would take him. All the lads are married to the joy of their mother :lol: so their wives and children will be with Bahar, Bór's wife, at the settlement.
She/her.