The Ringwraith Review

"Going to Mordor!" Cried Pippin. "I hope it won’t come to that!"
Black Númenórean
1. Let us talk about shoes. You have invented a new shoe. What would your new shoes be able to do (turn into stilts, sing you a tune, climb up a tree, etc.)? Help me remember dance choreography. The third corner of my triple threat is fights, not dance, which is useful but doesn't help me survive dance calls :googly:
2. Are you the type who likes to walk in the rain, or do you avoid it? Entirely dependent on whether I'm going to have to sit around being wet after I get out of the rain, or/and if anything I need not to be ruined is going to get ruined in rain.
3. Do you think that someday, in your lifetime, books, newspapers and taxicabs may no longer be commonplace? Physical newspapers are already going the way of the dodo, but newspapers also began shifting to other modes a long time ago, too. Books and taxis will always be around, I think in both their current forms and new ones.
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Khazad Elder
In my part of the world (Canada), Ubers are taking over. Taxi companies are finding it hard to compete. Ubers do not have the roof lights on their cars' tops. Maybe there will still be a form of taxi service, but it would be a shame if we never saw that yellow (or whatever colour it is in other countries) light on the top of the cab's roof ever again.
Pele Alarion wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:07 pm 3. Do you think that someday, in your lifetime, books, newspapers and taxicabs may no longer be commonplace?
Some people still read newspapers. Books... hope not! And don't really care much about taxis, but don't think this will go out of business unless there are shoes that fly.
I like your solution, shoes that fly! Your up!
The world was fair in Durin's Day

High Warden of Tower
:lol: Fine! Let's see about questions then.

1. At which point did you laugh aloud or at least smile when reading LOTR?
2. What would a train look like if there was one between Gondor and Mordor?
3. Describe the scenery out your window!

Istari Sage
1. At which point did you laugh aloud or at least smile when reading LOTR?
Definitely when the fox finds the hobbits and wonders what's going on:
The Fellowship of the Ring, Three is Company wrote: A fox passing through the wood on business of his own stopped several minutes and sniffed.
"Hobbits!" he thought. "Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this." He was quite right, but he never found out any more about it.
2. What would a train look like if there was one between Gondor and Mordor?
Who would ride such a train? I suppose if we think this was built by the Númenorians before the return of Sauron maybe it would have been used to transport goods and people between Minas Ithil and Minas Anor so it probably would have been of Númenorean design then and would probably look much like Minas Ithil and Minas Morgul at least in my mind in this rather anachronistic application of trains. Or maybe this is thousands of years later and the trains are bringing tourists between the ruins of Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul :thinking:

3. Describe the scenery out your window!
Well it's a typical Seattle grey morning. It's a bit foggy and misting slightly (but I would hardly call it raining). From my window in my second storie office in my house I can see my balcony/deck which looks over into my yard which I can see about half of the grass (which is largely torn up from the dogs playing fetch) and some tall fir trees at the end. On a clear sunny day you can juuuust see some mountains from my perspective but this morning it's completely grey and you can't see them :cry:

Khazad Elder
1. At which point did you laugh aloud or at least smile when reading LOTR? Several, but this one in particular. 'Eavesdropping, sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact.' :lol:
2. What would a train look like if there was one between Gondor and Mordor? Something similar to Blain the Mono (not a train per se) in The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. Happy while leaving Gondor and slowly going insane as it approaches Mordor. :grin:
3. Describe the scenery out your window! As I type, it is nighttime now, and the curtains are closed. But it was grey and overcast and wet and muddy and dirty with fungus-looking litter sprouting here and there just before I drew them. On the flip side, the birds were singing prettily.

High Lord of Imladris
1. At which point did you laugh aloud or at least smile when reading LOTR? "'Nay! Not Elves,' said the fourth, the tallest, and as it appeared the chief among them. "Elves do not walk in Ithilien in these days. And Elves are wonderous fair to look upon, or so 'tis said.'
'Meaning we're not, I take you,' said Sam."

Cheeky little blighter I love that line.

2. What would a train look like if there was one between Gondor and Mordor? I feel like we'd see something similar to Snowpiercer but we'd have to call it orc piercer and it would start out quite white and shiny and then get covered in black as it goes to Mordor.

3. Describe the scenery out your window! Ohhh which window? I have a few of them! So the window in front of me is actually three massive windows... that opens on my snow covered garden(vegetable for those in the UK) which stretches out about 100 meters to the plum trees I planted last year with room saved for apricot trees. To the north I have a maple windbreak and then to the east blue and white spruce trees swaying in the wind as birds flit through them and beyond them the gravel road past that, rolling hills filled with springs, that feed two rivers that come from near where I live and are now rushing with the massive amounts of melting snow that threaten to spill their banks further down... and quicksand and towering monsters of birch trees and poplar trees still leafless and budless this early into spring and spruce and pine trees leading back into lakes and meadows tucked away on the mountain side generally forgotten by the world save the deer and moose and elk that wander through my yard on their way further into the woods.
Sereg a Dîn

Éowyn
Éowyn
1. At which point did you laugh aloud or at least smile when reading LOTR? I smile at Sam a lot.
2. What would a train look like if there was one between Gondor and Mordor? Probably black. Some wagons with white lines and wagon numbers, other wagons with red lines and wagon numbers. It's sad but the train would probably be divided into "Mordorian class" and "Gondorian class". Mordorian class might have game of thrones like comfort levels (sitting on swords or other weaponry seems apt), Gondorian class cold stone benches.. neither seem very comfortable, really.
3. Describe the scenery out your window! It's dark out now, and I can only see the dimly lit windows of an appartment across the street from our yard.

Found an egg!
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Enjoyed all answers! But... @Arnyn , since you came egg hunting and all, I'm sure you can also cook up some questions. Your turn! :lol:

Éowyn
Éowyn
Well, alright.

1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character?
2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see?
3. What is the last non-plaza related thing you read? (A book, a letter, a bill, a work e-mail, a text message,...?)
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

New Soul

1. Not telling about myself. But all my characters have different eyes, based on what kind they are and where they come from. All unrelated to myself as writer.
2. Me? A gorgeous door.
3. Just uploaded on the Plaza. A Rowling's tale, edited by me as fanfic material.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Master Torturer
1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character? I have blue eyes, the same as my dad and sister. I'm pretty happy with them; for a long time, they were the only physical feature I liked about myself. Most of the main characters of stories I've written have other eye colors, though.
2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see? A box of halogen lightbulbs sitting on a shelf (the bulbs are for the light fixture behind me).
3. What is the last non-plaza related thing you read? (A book, a letter, a bill, a work e-mail, a text message,...?) An article in The Guardian about civilian deaths in the war in Ukraine. Fun reading first thing on a Monday morning, I know.
Loremistress Emerita | she/her

Orc Chieftain
1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character? I have dark blue eyes, and although I changed my hair color back in high school (haven't dyed it in over thirty years, and no grays yet either, and I've been through chemo, and still no grays), I never wanted to change the color of my eyes (blue is also my favorite color, so there's also that). Naelia has brown eyes, so my own eye color didn't influence the color of my main character's eyes (the only characters with blue eyes are Talina and Lathana)
2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see? The top shelf of the desk I got when I got my first desktop computer (which was a hand me down, since my latest laptop was a Christmas present when the pandemic started, since Mom didn't want me sitting in the library when I just recently survived Breast Cancer)
3. What is the last non-plaza related thing you read? (A book, a letter, a bill, a work e-mail, a text message,...?) My email, probably, since the last thing I ordered on eBay (a personalized travel jewelry box) has been shipped
He who commands the Ruling Ring... commands all

Easterling
1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character? My eyes are brown. Call me uncreative, but it's never really occurred to me to wish I had a different eye color - though if I did, I think something just a bit unnatural would be my choice, for the sake of comment and chaos. I... don't really know what my characters' eye colors are, actually, except maybe flaming red for Mr. "Middle Earth World Record for the Longest-Running Case of Chronic Jaundice" Sauron Mairon, but that's because of his description and movie depictions, not a personal choice. With any given character I write (here or otherwise), I usually think more about archetypes, personalities, and story roles than appearance. Unless there's a specific aspect of their appearance that's supposed to be notable, questions about what they look like usually come in when I'm trying to build up small details to make things more realistic, like mentions of taller characters being able to reach things on high shelves or what have you.

2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see? A ceiling fan, and the mirror on my dresser. I'm sitting in bed, taking phone calls.

3. What is the last non-plaza related thing you read? (A book, a letter, a bill, a work e-mail, a text message,...?) A professional email, requesting an interview.
Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!

High Warden of Tower
1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character? Grey-blueish, and I'm fine with it. It seems that most of my characters get all sort of colours, not even Pele's are like mine. :D
2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see? Ceiling and lamps (because I'm laying on my back in bed an generally looking up and not out the window as usual).
3. What is the last non-plaza related thing you read? (A book, a letter, a bill, a work e-mail, a text message,...?) Electricity bill. Gotta pay 'em.

Istari Sage
1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character? I have blue eyes. Honestly I never thought about having different color eyes nor have I ever really thought too much about what color eyes my characters have, although I think I have a penchant for giving them "grey eyes" (thanks Athena).
2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see? I have some lights that I put above my screen to help light up my face a bit on camera during meetings, it's not a Ring light (not as bright) but serves a similar purpose.
3. What is the last non-plaza related thing you read? A book, a letter, a bill, a work e-mail, a text message,...?) The last thing I read? an internal work document that I had to provide feedback on.

Healer of Imladris
1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character? My eyes are dark brown, and I think that matches Linny's but you could probably find a post where I said something else about her! I rememer wishing that my eyes were "flecked with ___________" like they always seem to be described as in fantasy novels (when they aren't purple!).
2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see? A vice, a pile of chisels, a guitar I can't play very well, a DVD documentary about straw hats (yes, actual hats).
3. What is the last non-plaza related thing you read? A book, a letter, a bill, a work e-mail, a text message,...?) An out-of-the-blue email from an old co-worker that I was surprised but happy to hear from!
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Éowyn
Éowyn
Thank you, everyone!

The "guitar I can't play very well" as well as the "flecked with" comment won @Yávië the honor of thinking of the next questions!
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Healer of Imladris
He-ey, fancy that! Thanks Arnyn!

1. What are your favorite spices to cook with (or eat)?
2. What toy did you have as a kid that you wish you could play with again?
3. Who's a good dog?
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

New Soul
1. Anything really, as long it ain't pepper and salt.
2. A doll wagon and I got it still.
3. The dog we had over thirty years ago. She died in the winter of 1990. She became 14 years old.

Knight of The Mark
1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character?
My eyes are dark blue, I've always loved having blue eyes but I've wanted a lighter shade of blue. No, Rior has grey eyes, but my old mc had blue eyes.

2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see?
Three Thumper plushies and The Great British Bakeoff.

3. What is the last non-plaza-related thing you read?
A book with a ghost story theme.

Cooking favorite is curry, baking or eating is cinnamon.

A stuffed monkey that I brought with me everywhere. I still have him but he's retired. :heart:

3. Who's a good dog?
Snoopy. :smile:

High Warden of Tower
1. What are your favorite spices to cook with (or eat)? Pepper, garlic, oregano, basil... and so on. Depending on food. :D A lot of stuff, I know.
2. What toy did you have as a kid that you wish you could play with again? A self-made bow and arrows? lol
3. Who's a good dog? All dogs are, aren't they?

Khazad Elder
1. What are your favorite spices to cook with (or eat)? I have a salt shaker full of ground turmeric. I use it in and on everything. Garlic and cinnamon would be on top, with chile pepper, ginger and fennel. They are all rather good.
2. What toy did you have as a kid that you wish to play with again? My sister and I shared our toys. We didn't have many toys. An Easy-Bake Oven comes to mind. I remember we baked all the little packets of cake mix and ate them. Then to continue using the oven, we had to make the batter from scratch, but we lost interest. It sat in the basement unused. I still am not very interested in cake making to this day. I spent a lot of my time outdoors making hide-outs and snow castles. So I would like to play with nature again. I live in the city now. I spent years in the country. I miss it. :smile:
3. Who's a good dog? One that sits when you say, 'sit.'.

Wainrider
1. What are your favorite spices to cook with (or eat)? Pepper, garlic, oregano, chili flakes
2. What toy did you have as a kid that you wish you could play with again? A red toy dog with yellow wheels for legs.
3. Who's a good dog? Scooby Doo.

Sage of Khazad-dûm
1. What are your favorite spices to cook with (or eat)? Chilli, garlic, fresh basil, sage
2. What toy did you have as a kid that you wish you could play with again? Any of my lego! I'veeally got back into it again now as a bit of a well-being activity that doesn't involve screens.
3. Who's a good dog? My neighbours have a really lovely old Yokrshire terrier, who is just a delight!
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

High Lord of Imladris
1. What is your eye color versus what eye color would you have preferred for yourself - and do either relate to the eye color you have chosen for your main character? I have a blue/bluegrey eye... and I like it I'd be fine with a little greyer than it is but I do have Fuin with my color eyes so can't hate it that much
2. Look up, above your screen. What do you see? A parchment print version of the Map of Middle-earth in a custom frame.
3. What is the last non-plaza related thing you read? (A book, a letter, a bill, a work e-mail, a text message,...?)*redacted cause I don't have permission for title sharing* but a modern fantasy/cop suspense thriller...... a beta/editor that was told they don't care what my thoughts were even though they left MASSIVE plot holes and issues considering it's suppose to be modern fantasty there wasn't a lot of thriller, the suspense was week... and the cops superior treated her more like a mother than a chief/sargent and for some reason the cop was on call for arson even though she'd never done an arson case before.
Sereg a Dîn

Istari Steward
1. What are your favorite spices to cook with (or eat)? I'll be honest I don't do the cooking and I don't pay much attention to the precise ingredients except of things that I don't like. Some form of negative bias in memory or something. But I'd probably say cumin is up there. I really like spicy food in general.
2. What toy did you have as a kid that you wish you could play with again? I'd really just like the full-size basketball hoop my parents had in our backyard, our current place has no spot for it, much less do I actually own a hoop.
3. Who's a good dog? Not my family's former dog, Sparky. That dog was lazy, disobedient, and a suck-up.

Istari Sage
1. What are your favorite spices to cook with (or eat)? besides garlic/onion/salt probably paprika, cumin, coriander.
2. What toy did you have as a kid that you wish you could play with again? Honestly I don't really remember many of my toys. I'm sure I had lego sets though and they sound pretty fun.
3. Who's a good dog? Definitely my two dog's Finn and Loki.

Master Torturer
1. What are your favorite spices to cook with (or eat)? I've forgotten most of the little I once knew about spices, but I recall oregano featuring prominently in several of the Italian(-American) dishes my mom taught me to make, so I'll go with that.
2. What toy did you have as a kid that you wish you could play with again? Like Romeran, I played with legos as a kid, and while I wasn't as into it as my sister, I still remember that fondly. My Minecraft phase several years ago, in which I played exclusively in creative mode, was basically just me reliving the freeform lego construction projects of my childhood, but with practically no constraints on the availability of blocks and space. I think about taking another crack at that, periodically.
3. Who's a good dog? Definitely not either of the two dogs I currently live with, although I am rather fond of the older one in spite of myself.

Arien
Arien

Garlic, pepper

This doll’s house my sister made for me out of Easter Egg boxes that was really elaborate and had tiny cardboard appliances and a staircase and a slide from the bed into the bathtub (apparently what every doll wants). My mum threw it away.

3. Who's a good dog?

Huan!

@Yávië care to pick another questioner?
cave anserem

Khazad Elder
It looks like @Yávië is on vacation. So with her permission (or not :grin:), I shall take on the role of questioner.

1. How many characters from TLOTRs does it take to screw in a light bulb? Please make us laugh. :wink:
2. If you are a swimmer, can you float and for how long? If you are not a swimmer, why not?
3. I have read descriptions of the moon as a silver dagger, a grapefruit moon, a bloody moon, etc. Entertain us with a two-line verse containing the moon. How would you describe it?

Istari Steward
1. How many characters from TLOTRs does it take to screw in a light bulb? Please make us laugh. Two, plus Gollum to make sure you go through with it if the lightbulb overwhelms you in the final moments.
2. If you are a swimmer, can you float and for how long? If you are not a swimmer, why not? I was a swimmer in my youth, but I've barely even gone in the water since college, except to help my boys float in the pool. I still think swimming is good though. As the children get older, I will no doubt swim some more again.
3. I have read descriptions of the moon as a silver dagger, a grapefruit moon, a bloody moon, etc. Entertain us with a two-line verse containing the moon. How would you describe it?

Surely the moon doesn't shine in the sky, that is, she doesn't make light
Rather she Echoes the Sun--Beaming, Narcissus's fire.

High Warden of Tower
1. How many characters from TLOTRs does it take to screw in a light bulb? Please make us laugh. Hmm. Is there a light bulb even? Depends on what's in the bulb. If it contains lava - perhaps only Sauron would touch it. :tongue:

2. If you are a swimmer, can you float and for how long? If you are not a swimmer, why not? Not overly good, and perhaps for a few seconds. Haha. Always moving something, at least fingers.

Full moon over lake, shining
Painting a path on water

New Soul
1. How many characters from TLOTRs does it take to screw in a light bulb? Please make us laugh. :wink: Riddle me this, riddle me that. :googly:
2. If you are a swimmer, can you float and for how long? If you are not a swimmer, why not? I weight like a stone and sink to the bottom. :rage:
3. I have read descriptions of the moon as a silver dagger, a grapefruit moon, a bloody moon, etc. Entertain us with a two-line verse containing the moon. How would you describe it? What kind of inspiration do you need for this? :rasp:

Balrog
1. How many characters from TLOTRs does it take to screw in a light bulb? Please make us laugh. According to Gandalf, there can be only one, and he doesn't share power, so even if the lightbulb ever gets screwed in, it can't turn on because Sauron cut the power
2. If you are a swimmer, can you float and for how long? If you are not a swimmer, why not? I can, but I'm not sure how long I can float because it's been so long since I've actually been swimming
3. I have read descriptions of the moon as a silver dagger, a grapefruit moon, a bloody moon, etc. Entertain us with a two-line verse containing the moon. How would you describe it? That hanging gibbous terror vexes me / away, ye pearl stalker, and let me alone to pee
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Knight of The Mark
1. How many characters from TLOTRs does it take to screw in a light bulb? Please make us laugh. *Agrees with Sequestered Keep* But if that were not the case, comedic duo of Merry and Pippin would inspire laughs trying to screw in a lightbulb.
2. If you are a swimmer, can you float and for how long? If you are not a swimmer, why not? Not sure. I've only been swimming in the shower lately. Not much opportunity to float there.
3. I have read descriptions of the moon as a silver dagger, a grapefruit moon, a bloody moon, etc. Entertain us with a two-line verse containing the moon. How would you describe it? Once a month the moon is full, shining brightly it never goes dull.
Rohirrim at heart, always.

Khazad Elder
Going to have to go with (cause when you've got to go, you gotta go) @Sequestered Keep ! Your up!

Balrog
mwahaha! Thank you @Drifa! I've always though the moon was an inconvenient watcher

1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose?
2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them?
3) What is the first book you remembering buying for yourself versus the last book you've bought for yourself?
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Master Torturer
1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose? Mistborn series, Brandon Sanderson. Codex Alera might be cool too, Jim Butcher
2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them? Focus on adult fiction and NOT YA. Joe Abercrombie
3) What is the first book you remembering buying for yourself versus the last book you've bought for yourself? Oh lord I cant remember that far back.. Nancy Drew maybe? (I will kill you..) and last one was for my ereader, the next installment of Jonathan French's Grey Bastards. Pretty good, like a mix between Sons of Anarchy and WoW/LoTR

Orc Chieftain
1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose? Probably the upcoming Supernatural prequel entitled The Winchesters (really need to finish off the series on Amazon Prime before it debuts in October. I own the entire series on Blu-ray, but would like to finish watching it on Prime first before I start on the Blu-rays)
2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them? Probably ask why Tolkien abandoned the fourth age story entitled The New Shadow, but he'd probably suggest I finish it myself in a fan fic or whatnot
3) What is the first book you remembering buying for yourself versus the last book you've bought for yourself? I can't remember the first book I bought for myself, but I remember buying Lisa, Bright and Dark in high school (since the main character shares my first name), but the last book I bought was a Clive Cussler book called Fast Ice that I just finished (probably give it to my stepfather, since he also enjoys this author, though even my Mom can beat him reading, since he must have been an Ent in a former life of how slow he reads)
Last edited by Lady of Shadow on Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He who commands the Ruling Ring... commands all

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose? Oof, I'm not much of a writer and as much as I would like to answer Rings of Power, I wouldn't be able to deal with all the complaining. So it would have to be a comedy, something the audience wouldn't take too seriously. I really like the Sex Education Netflix series, but I don't know if that's getting another season or not.
2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them? Well that would be Tolkien and no clue about what kind of advice I could give him. Maybe just continued encouragement so he could have completed even more Middle-earth stories?
3) What is the first book you remembering buying for yourself versus the last book you've bought for yourself?
First book: probably something from the Scholastic book fairs schools used to have (do they still do this?) I remember buying Captain Underpants books from those fairs.
Last book: I bought a bunch of Terry Pratchett books at the same time.
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Melkor
Melkor
1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose?
The Giving Tree, except that the tree's friends kills the human before the tree is turned into only a trunk. It would be a... really big challenge but if I'm paid money, I can make it work.

2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them?
With Tolkien I would advise him to give more agency towards women, as women hold up at least half the sky.

It was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets when I was in grade school. The last book I bought for myself was a textbook when I did my masters' in education.

New Soul
I am unable to copy the questions.

1. Which upcoming series? Oh I would like Dependent come alive, the world in 2236-37, that I wrote myself years ago into eighteen story segments, about 30.000 words each.
2. Sorry, I don't do timetravel. The thought to influence a writer with the ideas of 2022 feels not right with me. The authencity goes lost then.
3. First book? What I recall is a Scandinavian book about life and society of about 1750 - 1850 perhaps I got it in 1983... Last books? Oh that was a huge order on extra materials of Tolkien with Beren/Luthien I am reading now. Next might be Gondolin?

High Lord of Imladris

Ohhh I'd probably go with Discworld. I know the series of books don't have a TON of over lap in terms of storys but it could be amazing.

2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them? Tolkien is absolutely my favourite author hmmm probably to write his woman actively fighting, let Galadriel be shown with blood on her hands in the elder age, or to press the possible LGBTQ+ hints even further.

Fellowship of the Ring Harper collins black edition with the yellow ring, purchased in a small book shop at the Forks market in Winnipeg. Most recent book I purchased for myself would be Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs
Sereg a Dîn

Khazad Elder
1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose? Weaveworld by Clive Barker would be interesting. Has it ever been a series?
2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them? I would advise him never to change his writing style and that he keep the mysterious a mystery. Yeah, some things would be nice to know about (dwarf women, dwarf children, dwarf life). But I guess we can use our imaginations for that. My favourite author is Tolkien.
3) What is the first book you remembering buying for yourself versus the last book you've bought for yourself? WoW! That was too many years ago, and I cannot remember the first book I bought. But I do remember purchasing Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. The last book I bought myself was Pictures by JRR Tolkien.

@Winddancer I just spent a month listening to Joe Abercombie's books, The First Law and all the stand-alone books. Call me old fashion, young at heart or what have you, but I was surprised by the evil-mindedness, blood lust, and guts. :grin:

Master Torturer
@Drifa Glorious, isnt it?? :D

Istari Steward
1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose? I'd give them a Dragonlance script. They've never made a tv series out of that, right?
2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them? I go to Homer and I say "Listen, you have the greatest poems of all time. But they couuuuld do with some more ducks, you know? Just consider it!"
3) What is the first book you remembering buying for yourself versus the last book you've bought for yourself? I can only think of it being a Harry Potter book, but more likely it was some dirt cheap sci-fi or fantasy novel whose name I no longer remember. The most recent book I bought was "The Biggest Story Bible Storybook".

Istari Sage
1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose? Well I wouldn't be chosen. I'd love to see an children's movie of Roverandom though.
2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them? My favorite author is probably Tolkien but idk what I'd go back and tell him. I would go back in time to Dan Abnett and get him writing in 40k way earlier especially since I don't particular care for comic books.
3) What is the first book you remembering buying for yourself versus the last book you've bought for yourself? *buying* for myself is hard to say I selected many books as a kid which my *parents* bought for me (goosebumps, Fringle etc.) In terms of spending my own money probably a Harry Potter book, one of the later ones as they came out when I was in High School. Most recent purchase if we count Kindle books would be SOG: The Secret Wars of American's Commandos in Vietnam, but I've more recently purchased an audible book: Soul Hunter.

Master Torturer
1) If you were asked to write a spec script for an upcoming TV series, what book/series would you choose? Hmm, well, it's a bit early to make proposals for an alternate First or Second Age adaptation, but I have a fair number of Opinions about what I'd like to see from the upcoming live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender series.

2) You can go back in time and give your favorite author one piece of advice, who is and what do you tell them? This is a very topical answer in that it's something I've thought about more than usual recently, but I'd probably advise Tolkien to bite the bullet, accept Orkish sentience, and then grapple with the moral complexity of unintentionally coming up with such a horrific scenario rather than shying away from it. That's probably my biggest beef with the legendarium.

3) What is the first book you remembering buying for yourself versus the last book you've bought for yourself? I honestly have no idea what the first book I bought for myself was, but my first online purchase was the final three volumes of The History of Middle-earth, which I know thanks to my Amazon history. The last book I bought for myself was Howl's Moving Castle, which I reread recently. I acquired a copy of Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! just the other day, but my boyfriend paid for that. :tongue:

Istari Sage
@Eldy Dunami I still haven't watched the first live-action Avatar. I hope the upcoming one is better. I loved that show so much!

Master Torturer
@Romeran, I saw the Shyamalan film adaptation in theatres, even though an internet friend who saw it a day or so earlier tried to warn me. :lol: It's an experience! In ways, hopefully, the new adaptation will not imitate.