The Healing Grove

For Fangorn is old, old even as the Elves would reckon it.
Wise Ent
The Healing Grove

At the edge Fangorn forest, on the banks of the river Entwash, there is a glade. Unlike the rest of the forest, which is a dark and musty place, this glade is light and airy. Golden beams of sunlight pierce the soft green canopy above and in front of you, you see a flurry of movement. Ents, Entwives and Huorns of every shape and species are hurrying about, tending to the ill of the forest. This is the Healing Grove.

Rules

Posts must be no more than 350 characters, on penalty of the bell of shame.

You should remain in character when posting.

If you wouldn’t bring it up with your mother, probably don’t say it here. Savvy?

Schools of healing

Animal Healing
Head of school: Li.

Plant Healing (including Ents and Huorns)
Head of school: Oak.

Human Healing
Head of school: <tbf>

Ranks

Apprentice Healer
Junior Healer
Healer
Master Healer

Patient submission form

Name:
Ailment:
Have you tried putting ointment on it?:

Current patients

Name: Deciduous Shrub
Ailment: Flaky bark
Have you tried putting ointment on it?: Yes, it made it smell like ointment.

Name: Giddeon Silver
Ailment: Engorged finger.
Have you tried putting ointment on it?: No.

Name: Proudfang
Ailment: Thorn in paw.
Have you tried putting ointment on it?: Woof.
Last edited by Li. on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fea
Square, so named because of her affinity for nuts and acorns which lack the usual uniform circular shape, had had her eye on a particularly exciting looking acorn on the tree at the far end off the coppice she called home. She had propelled herself off the highest branch she could reasonably balance on, and landed tooth first on the acorn. Except it wasn't an acorn. Or if it was, its outer layer was impenetrably hard, like no acorn she'd ever come across before. TZZINGGGG the noise rang out through her little head, as shock waves went through her tooth and head. She landed flat on the forest floor, the corner of her tooth crumbled and fell beside her. Time to head to the Healing Grove, she thought.

Name: Square the Squizzle
Ailment: Chipped tooth
Have you tried putting ointment on it?: Square's tail bristled with disgust when she was offered a mere ointment for her precious damaged tooth.

Image (30)

Weathered Ent
Into the grove scrabbled the first applicant for a doctor's position- a Huorn. She was familiar looking one that had been here years before, only she had more leaves and her trunk was thicker. She looked for Li. Do you have some kind of application process? I will fill any vacancy you have and I see there is only one Ent here. I deal mostly with Trees and other plants here in Fangorn. I see that you have an unhappy little shrub sitting over there with flaking bark. Poor little fellow".
Huorn of Fangorn

Orc
Name: Gröb the goblin
Ailment: general malaise and harsh sunburn
Have you tried putting ointment on it?: Just mud

Even from a young age Gröb knew he was different than the other goblin kids.
His people had ancient agricultural and foraging tendencies in a northern land where living off the bounties of the earth was pragmatic. Gröb learned from a young age what was edible. How to find it. Where it grew. He also knew the backbreaking work of planting since the day he could walk.
But where the others saw only necessity in cultivation, Gröb also saw beauty. The first shoots of spring. Blossoms after a warm summer rain. The mud between his toes. Even the dead things his tribe put in the earth to regenerate it held some mystical beauty.
It does not do to dwell on the past. And so Gröb kept walking. The pain in his feet driving the events of his departure from the tribe deeper into his pitch black goblin heart. Little wars were all too common among the little tribes of goblin folk. All the way to Fangorn he walked. Although he did not know that the forest even had a name.
He tried his best to shelter from the sun. It was the affliction of his people that they must always hide. Hide from the Rohirrim. Hide from the nasty elfs. Hide from the very sun that nourished the plants that Gröb held so dear to his heart.

He tried his best to follow his tribes old custom of smearing their green skin with mud as a sunscreen. This allowed them to work long into the morning and start work before the sun fully set. But the journey was arduous and Gröb's back, arms, and face burned under the full sun.

The forest was old and promised reprive from the gruelling sun. Desperation perhaps blinded him to the danger: this forest was far too old. Older trees then Gröb had ever seen greeted him. Sheltered him. Gröb would run his green hands along the bark as he walked, marveling at the ancient, knotted wood. So alive and yet somehow primordial.

His burns were blistering and peeling. Gröb had never been in so much pain. He found the clearing just as the sun was rising. It was the most solitary place the little orc had ever seen.

"Maybe I'll just sleep under these old roots." He said to himself. "Just until sunset."
Proprietor of Pakon Stazim
He/him

New Soul
Visit to Fangorn - An RP with Melahny

Loremaster Quennar Tarcelmë

For many years he had made many travels, all written down in the ancient form of Quenya, and stored in a series of novels, dedicated to the history of Middle Earth. Not much there was to say or share, but for a fair amount of time he had kept to the home Aegliraind, that had been established before the end of the First Age. It was the only home of the Danas, a forgotten people, hidden away from the known world. That was his home and life, content as he was. The loremaster travelled sometimes the world to find how much it had changed, and what needed to be preserved in writing. Most of the humans peoples knew how to document, but not how to keep that knowledge to eternity. So it was up to his kind to try and do make possible. Shoulderlength hair accented a timeless face. It was convenient enough in a fight. But Quennar had barely ever engaged himself in fight.

Fangorn was a forest he had been before. How long? Elven memory was not crafted to recall all moments to their right dates in time. The forest was esotheric to him, flourishing in ways that came more from the invisible realm than the visible. You had to feel it before to see it. Quennar knew where to look. Trailing the horse behind him with the reigns in hands, he felt no fear at all to enter with all possible dangers lurking. He had seen and travelled through ancient forests when he was still very young. And had barely a sense of world around. Today he was seasoned beyond the count. But as time passed on, the world reshaped, there were new things to learn. So Quennar had set out from Aegliraind, to pass through the south of Eriador, traversing a few rivers and stood on the brink of the southern border to visit Fangorn once more.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Esquire of The Mark
Visit to Fangorn

Tiriel the elf

Tiriel entered a beautiful sunlight grove with white flowers and green sprigs in the forest of Fangorn. She loved this forest but had not been here in many years. She studied the craft of elven magic and healing and was looking through the forest for certain flowers and herbs that had properties of use. Her father did not approve of her travelling so far from the sea and their community in Lindon. But then, he was always a homebound and unchanging man; he did not like to travel much and he preferred to stay put. Tiriel felt differently though and she enjoyed her trips to other forests and groves very much, especially Fangorn as it was full of secrets and Ents and all sorts of magic.

Tiriel was considered a younger elf with lovely dark hair and very striking features. She had a prominent jaw and brilliant blue eyes. She wore a dress of dark blue with white flowers embroidered. As she strolled through the forest grove she felt the cool air rustle her hair about her face and she sat down upon a giant stump to pick some small yellow flowers that had taken root near the base of it. She began to sing a melody quietly as she braided the flowers and set them in her basket.
Last edited by Melahny_oftheWoods on Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
And whither then? I cannot say...

New Soul

The outskirts of the forest came into view and approaching it called up memories of very long ago, from the days of his youth. He was not expecting it happen and it was quite confusing. But it didn’t stop him from approaching and entering. Here was a story to tell he knew, but he would document that later. In the ambiance lay the promise of life hidden, something lively vibrant, that outside these borders seemed diminished. The promise was very strong, utterly strong. But it was wild as well, untamed. It knew freedom in excellence. Quennar stood still after about twenty meters from the border and closed his eyes, holding the reigns and the horse next of him. The wind was cool, yet pleasant. On it carried a soft whisper of contentment. A sort of happiness. His own kind thrived on that. They always had. Admiring speechlessly the simple beauty of nature around, in abundance.

On this wind was also a voice, a kind of melody, it was light and merry. Human it was surely not. Elven perhaps? Or was it one of the shepherds that hummed a melody? Quennar was long over the age to get mesmerised by this, as once was with Celidië. She was his wife for a very long time. His dark hair couldn’t hide his discarded Noldorin background. But Celidië had introduced him to the Danas and he had become their guide, until they founded a reclusion, hidden in the mountains. The garden unfolded for him, as new flower opening up. The abundance of colours shouted beyond the grasp of words yet. And there was the melody, gathering up herbs and doing something with flowers. It could have been a picture from the shores of Valinor, he knew. “Hello,” he said in the common tongue that was spoken in the human lands and even the Shire. “I am Quennar and I am just a traveller.”

Esquire of The Mark
Visit to Fangorn

Tiriel the elf

Tiriel began to sink into a daydream, singing her melody and being at peace with the forest around her. She heard a leaf falling, a butterfly taking flight, she saw birds bobbing to and fro and daisies bending back in the slight breeze. It was a comfortable time, and she was happy. Happy to be alone and away from all her family, society, and conversation. Sometimes she just needed quiet and solitude to feel better after the stresses of elven court.

As she was focused on her melody and braiding some daisies into her hair, she did not at first hear the new rider as he approached. But she looked behind her just as the horse and rider emerged from the bushes into her little clearing.

“Hello,” he said in the common tongue that was spoken in the human lands and even the Shire. “I am Quennar and I am just a traveller.”

"Oh! Good day," Tiriel spoke as she stood up quickly to face the elf. She made a simple curtsy and bowed her head in greeting. As she lifted her head she gazed at the elven man and replied with her introduction, "And well met. I am Tiriel of Lindon, pleased to make your acquaintance. Do you travel through Fangorn often?"

New Soul

The esthetical voice belonged to a lovely maiden, who spoke with a same lightness as he had experienced before. He could tell she was much younger than he was, though age said a very little how a person really was. He hadn’t seen her before. He returned her polite bow and curtsy with a bow of his own. “Sun and stars shine favourite upon us and this forest,” said Quennar in bit poetic fashion. He felt some inspiration and surely a chapter could be written? “It is nice to make your acquaintance too, Tiriel of Lindon. And no, I don’t come often in these corners of Middle Earth. I came from the west actually, beyond the Ered Lindon, by the sea.”

His home was an underground mix between Danas and old Noldorin influences. The protection came by the secret conclusion of the natural elements, a forest much like this. To get in and out could be done, but was not easy. The underground had no backdoors. The doors to the outside were not fanciful with arches and in stone crafted branches and leaves. But just left plain bare rock face, that when closed, there were no doors.

“I came here to see if this place would be as I remembered,” he told to Tiriel, bit sunken in thought, while he studied the herbs and flowering plants around. “I see some species here that there were not before. Just a new variety? Or had they been planted. Have you met the tree guardians here?” In his life he had met more than once of these creatures. And meeting them was always a chance to learn more.

Esquire of The Mark
Visit to Fangorn

Tiriel the elf

Tiriel smiled as the Elf replied. She guessed that he was an elder and must be much older than she was. She tried her best to be respectful and polite to the elder in the manner her father had taught her. "How lovely," she said when he described where he came from. "I live near the sea as well, close to the Grey Havens."

Quennar asked, “I see some species here that there were not before. Just a new variety? Or had they been planted. Have you met the tree guardians here?”

Tiriel responded to his inquiry, "I'm not sure, I've only visited Fangorn once before, and I loved it so much I had to come for another visit... I did encounter a few Huorns and I saw some Ents from a distance but I did not get to speak to them. I hope that I can this time."

She looked around expectantly, as though an Ent might just pop up out of the brush and introduce himself. She sighed, "But I don't know what chance I have. I don't know much about them, other than they move at a much slower pace to the rest of the world. How does one seek an introduction with an Ent?" Hopefully Quennar knew the answer because so far she hadn't seen any tress moving about.

New Soul

Ín his life he had seen a lot of Ents, in all shapes and sized, sorts and both genders. He approached Tiriel to a respectable distance and his horse took the chance to sniffle the grass beneath the feet. Maybe it was tasty? But Quennar refrained his horse to just do wildgrazing, because this field was a garden and therefore certain weeds would perhaps not be wild, and not suited for the stomach of his horse. “The Onodrim are a varied species, guardians given life by Yavanna to protect the forests from those who desired too much wood and would fell trees. Fangorn is a forest like this,” told Quennar from memory. He had known Nienna among, long ago in his youth. He could do here some drawing. Learn about some new species that had evolved. Nature was constantly adapting.

“Mithlond? Aye it is beautiful town at sea. Sad to say that a lot use it just a point of departure,” he shrugged. He never wanted to leave, where he lived. It was good there and peaceful. “You are part of Cirdan’s people?” he asked curiously. “You might like Alqualondë too, where the Falmari live?” He had seen that town too, also very long ago. He had no idea how the city had recovered in the days of stealing their ships. His parents wouldn’t leave him behind. All of it had been part of this world, but where it now was? Presumably still somewhere west of these lands?

So Tiriel had met some Huorns. Quennar, curiously, had never met any of them. They must be a species of threes perhaps from after the destruction of Beleriand? “How were those Huorns? I never saw any of them, though I know just the name,” he asked Tiriel. She could tell maybe a bit more about them? If the Ents desired, they would show up by themselves. It would be a surprise though to see one or a few. Quennar gave a gentle stroke over the neck of his horse and led them to a safe patch, where not the herbs were growing. “An introduction is not needed, they know already we are here. And if they feel up to it, a few will come, maybe. They will always have an admiration for us, because of the history our ancestors taught them languages, like Quenya and Numenorean, though also the ancient forms of those tongues. Hence they talk a little peculiar.”

Esquire of The Mark
Visit to Fangorn

Tiriel the elf

Tiriel smiled at Quennar's horse as he pawed at the grass. She did love horses, but she had travelled by wagon most of this journey and then foot once she was near Fangorn. She wanted to be free to wander about in the forest without worrying about her horse. She listened respectfully and nodded as the elder elf spoke of Fangorn. "I see," she said, intrigued.

"Yes," she responded to Quennar's inquiry about her people and home. "We are of Cirdan's people, though we live in a more wooded area, a short distance from the port. I do enjoy visiting Alqualondë as well! Although, my father doesn't like to travel beyond Mithlond very much; it took a few years of persuading him to allow me to travel here, but..." she blushed, not sure whether to reveal her secret or not. But the point of keeping it was mute now, since Quennar had already seen her in the forest alone and now knew her name. "Well... he doesn't know that I am alone in the forest. I was supposed to have brought a guide with me."

Quennar then moved his horse to another patch of grass. She responded, "I only saw the Huorns for a few moments and they did not pay me much mind." Tiriel then listened to his explanation of the Ents' language. "Oh, they do... So we must simply wait and see? Well, that is most interesting about the language. I do hope I will be able to communicate with one well enough, if I get the chance. I am not well versed in the Eldar languages."

New Soul

The maiden was without a horse, she must have taken another way of transport, or could have walked. But Lindon was a large distance? Tiriel was a part of the seapeople, under guidance of Cirdan. She explained of her difficulties to travel and what she was allowed to do and what not. It was bit strange to him, as he was not with his own son and daughter that way. He nodded: “I understand the problems of family,” he said. She had met the Huorns. Even it was for a few moments. “What did you think when you saw those Huorns? Made they a good impression?” he asked intrigued. “Where did you see them?” Quennar was aware of their existence. But wrapped up in the role of documentalist of existing cultures, he had travelled far and wide across the Edain lands. Some nations existed for a couple of centuries and others made not even two decades. How were these Edain to preserve their own history in the future?

The Ents wandered this forest. It was indeed to wait and see. “Most Ents here are brothers what you find. Not sisters or wifes, or daughters. Only the men among the Ents. Why nobody can explain. But as they tell themselves, their female counterparts are lost,” told Quennar on the subject. “I neither speak their peculiar tongues, but they understand the Edain language as well. I know Sindarin and Danas pretty well.” He left out the language of Valinor. Besides what he knew as Quenya had to be archaic as well, and what was spoken in Valinor must have evolved also.

He heard some distant footsteps, or rather the breaking of branches. An Ent could be on the move towards them, perhaps to check them out? Elves were always welcome. The other kindreds much lesser, and those wielding an axe not at all. “It is impressive out here, the ancientness of it. Feel like travelling back in time, even we are not,” he said looking up at the green roof over their heads. He stroke over the neck of his grazing horse. It was simply wait and see. Maybe it was Fangorn himself, after this forest was named? Quennar couldn’t say he had met the Ent before. But he had met brothers and sisters in the old days, when grand woods stretched out westwards from the Lindon lands. The sea had taken a lot of life there.

Esquire of The Mark

Visit to Fangorn

Tiriel the elf

@Aikári Salmarinian

Tiriel relaxed a bit as Quennar said I understand the problems of family. She was glad he didn't know her father and didn't seem like he was going to report back to him that she was without a guide. Not that it was a huge ordeal, but Tiriel preferred to wander alone than with a chaperone. Her father need not treat her like a child anymore, being of age.

"I think the Huorns were incredible! They were deeper in the forest, near a river though I don't remember exactly where. I'd never seen anything like it before. I really, really hope to meet an Ent this time!" She looked around as though expecting one to pop out and say hello.

As Quennar told Tiriel about the Ent people and that there were only males among them, she nodded gravely, "Oh yes, I've heard about that. The Entwives are missing... where could they have gone I wond--" she stopped speaking as they heard a branch snap. Tiriel thought she saw trees moving in the far distance, though it could have been the wind.

"It does indeed feel like stepping back in time," she nodded. "Perhaps we should go further in?"

New Soul

Huorns were no bad creatures at all, as far Quennar was aware off. Perhaps some had gone wild, just as the Ents? Tiriel was adamant to meet an Ent on this journey. And at her suggestion to go deeper into the woods, there would be no harm. Branches snapped off constantly, mostly by curious wood creatures, living in the trees and on the ground. Was it here like stepping back in time? Maybe it was? Quennar was not so endorsed in the past or what came with it. Especially not the first age. “Arda is a big place, they could be anywhere,” he said with a shrug, not knowing at all more about them. He had seen the rise of the sun and moon. But there were no pleasant memories attached to those moments.

Quennar’s horse trailed behind him, snipping off pieces of grass. “You are on an exploration travel, as I gather up from your goals what creatures wanting to meet?” he asked while they walked on. The air was a bit thicker than outside the wood, but also fresher. The guardians of the woods were around, Quennar knew. But it was their choice to appear. Calling them was no use. They were too ancient too obey any command. A new clearing led to white flowers all around and a small stream of water that ended up in the little pond. Grass and reeds sprang up from all sides, and in the water were big leaves where frogs sat on squeaking. Birds sat also on the leaves and bathed in the water of the pond.

Esquire of The Mark

Visit to Fangorn

Tiriel the elf

@Aikári Salmarinian

As Quennar began to move forward, Tiriel followed beside him. It was a lovely day for a forest walk and Tiriel did delight in the trees and canopy as much as the sea. They all had their splendor and their beauty.

"I would like to meet with any woodland creatures," Tiriel answered, "So long as they are peaceful."

As they passed a pond, they walked on for some time, twisting and turning on the leafy path. "Oh! Look!" Tiriel suddenly pointed and whispered to her companion. "That tree is definitely moving!" She took a few steps closer in the direction, off to the right of the path.

There was a tall and slender oak tree gently moving through the brush. Its movements were so subtle however, that unless you stared at it for several minutes, you would not notice anything out of the ordinary. "Should we follow it?" Tiriel whispered.

New Soul

They walked together further in the woods, passing a pond and then there was a tree herder in front of them. Quennar heard the wonder in Tiriel’s voice and automatically smiled. He didn’t even think. It was for him a very long time, when he was still young, he had met them. The leafy path had some faint inprinting. “I don’t know if we could follow it. Perhaps talk? And wait for the reaction,” said Quennar thoughtful. The tree could sweep with the branches and scare the horse. Quennar didn’t want to see his ride wander off aimlessly, so he kept sturdy on to the reigns. “It is not exactly a tree, but a tree herder. They are the Onodhrim, a people of Middle Earth,” he said in Sindarin. The old High Tongue he would understand too. But if that what the Onodhrim spoke he understood, was questionable.

“They are here to protect the woods from the chopping Dwarves. Yavanna is their creator,” said Quennar from memory. He had written extensively about it. “They speak Old Entish among themselves. Which is an ancient variant upon the Eldarin tongue of our kind, before the split of Quenya and Sindarin. It is a primitive form of Elvish. But they speak Westron too.” The past was packed with events Quennar had recorded. But how the Ents now would react? It had been a long time he had seen and met them.

“Say your name and be respectful. I think he might be delighted to see us. They keep remembering us our kind taught them to speak, for they could not first,” said Quennar. Tiriel would do a good job as elven maiden. She was already in awe, and it would become an unforgettable memory.

Esquire of The Mark
Tiriel the elf
Visit to Fangorn
@Aikári Salmarinian

Tiriel crept closer to the tree herder alongside Quennar. She listened to his instruction regarding the Onodhrim and what languages they spoke. "Should I speak in Westron to them, then?" She asked him, uncertain. She was nervous! This was an amazing opportunity, but she did not wish to offend the tree herder. She tried to compose herself and took a sip from her waterskin, for her throat felt dry all of a sudden.

They approached the tree now and were only a couple yards from it. Tiriel hesitated to go further and looked over at Quennar. "I should speak first?" She responded. "But you are the eldest. Are you sure it should be me to introduce us?"

She waited for his reply and watched the tree as it swayed in the wind. She observed the roots as they twisted slowly and moved through the dirt, southward, towards the heart of the forest.

New Soul

Quennar couldn’t blame the young maiden not to feel so confident. Yet there was no issue about age. That was a human matter. For the Eldar it was about experience. Quennar wanted Tiriel to overcome her anxieties about to do or say something wrong. “I was once your age too or younger, and walked alone in lands long gone. Taurelilómëa I called the wood in the south, and met with Slowfoot. And another wood beyond, Tauresiriand. The day I left the forests, was a bittersweet one. We would never meet again,” he nodded understanding.

It was a beautiful sight to see one of the treeherder, stepping around, slowly and carefully. They weren’t as young as back in the day. But these Ents were not the ones he had met on the other side of Middle Earth. “Go for it,” nodded Quennar encouraging. It was an opportunity of a lifetime. In the forests were no etiquettes, just a stalwart heart that couldn’t say goodbye. The Onodhrim back in the day had advised on matters, that no longer mattered and were forgotten. But not when it was the first century of the First Age. His kind walked with silent in these forests. Weight played no role for them.

He had carried the weight of the pain from the loss of his family at the crossing for a considerable time then. He had survived, holding on to the bookchest, that was his. Valinor was a closed and forgotten chapter. Even beyond the change of the world, these lands were home. His wife and children were home now.

Esquire of The Mark
Tiriel the elf
Visit to Fangorn
@Aikári Salmarinian

Tiriel wasn't sure what to say as Quennar spoke of some youthful reminiscence of his, so she just listened politely. She noticed a bit of sadness in him then, and she wondered just how old he really was. She was a child in comparison. She felt so stupid and weak and useless, as though her father was right to think she couldn't handle an adventure on her own. But as he spoke and told Tiriel to go ahead and introduce herself to the Ent, she felt he was encouraging her to be brave. She smiled and tried to reply with confidence, "Very well, I'll do my best."

She walked a few more paces to get closer to the tree and spoke softly, almost a whisper. "Hello." She wasn't sure how loud she needed to be for a tree to hear, but she felt if she spoke any louder her voice would tremble and reveal how anxious and foolish she felt. How could such an ordinary elf girl like herself interest an Onodhrim, let alone an Ent (if they were to find one)? The only question that popped in her head when thinking of starting a conversation with an Ent would be "So where are the Entwives?" Which, of course would be a rude and stupid thing to blurt out.

She continued, "My name is Tiriel, of Lindon. And this is Quennar, of--er..." she trailed off, suddenly forgetting if Quennar had said where he came from or not. She dare not say more just yet, as she knew from the stories that Entfolk did not like people being hasty or quick and they moved at a very different pace and time to even the elves. She gave the tree time to respond, if he chose to do so.

New Soul

Quennar just watched what Tiriel would say, he did what he had done once with his own children. Let it experience themselves. She would have a future story to tell to others who perhaps never had the opportunity to meet one of the Onodhrim. Even it was a short moment, it was a meeting of a lifetime. She made the introduction of herself and him. But she couldn’t disclose where he was from, because he hadn’t shared it. He hadn’t wanted it to overwhelm her with so much information of everything he knew.

The Ent stopped and looked down at the two people beneath his trunk and by his roots. He lightened immediately up and said merrily to her in the common tongue: “Broohoom, what have we here? Are my dreams coming true this morning? Do my eyes see right?” He sounded delighted. “Lady Tiriel, how honoured I feel to meet you. And two of your kind than the axe loving dwarves or wood gathering humans. Without your kind we never would have learned to voice what we see, or make songs as we can now. If you have no evil reasons, you are most welcome. Oh if I meet my other brothers, they are jealous at me.”

The tree herder looked to the man with the horse behind him. “Master Quennar, good to see you again. Open for another tale?” he asked, before he turned to Tiriel again. “Bear with me, my name is Browntrunk, not original but it is a translation from my name in Onodhrim, which takes a long time to say.” Word that were often spoken by fellow Ents. “Hi Browntrunk, good to you in good health. And sure I am open for another tale,” replied Quennar. “The sun is shining definite now,” mesmerising the happy Ent. “Not every day two elves I meet. How do you come to the forest of Fangorn, two of you?” He asked it curiously, because it was so seldom that were very friendly and well respected folk. He was indebted to their kind. “Care for some very fresh water from the spring?” asked Browntrunk to them both.

Esquire of The Mark
Tiriel the elf
Visit to Fangorn
@Aikári Salmarinian

As the Onodhrim spoke Tiriel jumped slightly, not expecting such a deep and booming voice to come out of a quiet forest. Wow! She was actually hearing one of the entfolk speak! This was amazing. With wide eyes she listened attentively to the Onodhrim as he introduced himself.

"Lady Tiriel, how honoured I feel to meet you," the tree said.

"And I you," Tiriel gave a quick bow as the tree paused in his speech. He spoke slowly and tentatively, as though contemplating the richness and quality of each word he chose to utter. However, he was much quicker than Tiriel had expected, and she suspected it was because he was an Onodhrim and not an Ent, who were the elders and even more ancient and slow-paced.

"No harm is intended on our parts, to any creature of the beautiful Fangorn," Tiriel assured him.

“Bear with me, my name is Browntrunk, not original but it is a translation from my name in Onodhrim, which takes a long time to say.”

Tiriel was glad of the translation for she knew no Entish. "Very well pleased to meet you, Browntrunk."

She was surprised to hear that Browntrunk knew Quennar and had talked with him before. What luck!

“Not every day two elves I meet. How do you come to the forest of Fangorn, two of you?” The tree asked curiously. "Care for some very fresh water from the spring?”

"Oh yes, I'll refill my waterskin if you don't mind," Tiriel nodded and walked towards the spring, close by Browntrunk. She dipped the container into the cold and perfectly clear water, then replaced it back onto her belt. She also cupped some water into her hands and drank from the crisp and cold liquid. It was beautiful and so refreshing. She felt vibrant and alive and full of wonder and curiosity. First, she answered the tree's question.

"Well, I decided to go on a ramble through the woods; I'm on a sort of longer ramble from home. I wanted to see something of the world, since I had not left the areas around my home village much before. I'd wandered and traversed along the coast a bit and gone out to sea on ships, but I hadn't explored much of the lands beyond Lindon. So I decided to go out past the Homely House, Elrond's domain, and through Lothlorien, and finally to Fangorn. My trip through the forests has been most delightful and I hope to explore Fangorn for some time and enjoy its wonders."

"Aho!" Browntrunk exclaimed in response, "So you had a bit of wanderlust, itchy feet, so to say? I am glad to see you so well in your travels. But be careful my dear, for there is more than beauty and wonders in these lands. There are many dangers in the forest. Our kind will certainly look out for your safety though, Lady elfling."

Tiriel blushed and smiled with content. "I thank you Browntrunk for your concern and advice. I will take heed and watch my surroundings."

New Soul

Quennar watched but didn’t intervene how Tiriel interacted with the Ent. It was one of these fabulous moments in life humans could boast so much about. But in sense his kind were pretty much similar. A positive memory became an anecdote in the years to come. Tiriel had a tale to tell later on. Who knew if it remained always possible to meet the Ents? The treeherders of the forest? It was only this forest they lived still, but their numbers were dwindling for many years. Browntrunk spoke to him too, if he was open for another tale and Quennar only smiled and nodded, it needed no response. He refreshed the water in the offered waterstream. Tiriel blossomed and handled the situation well. Browntrunk wouldn’t regret, he would have a tale to tell too, and would take a long time to say it, to the other Ents of the forest.

“I am sure you are both well aware of the dangers outside the borders?” Browntruck directed to Quennar after having spoken with Tiriel. “Of quite mild concern, but nothing that endangers more than a few heads that can be chopped off. The dark is tricky, but the day is not,” said Quennar in response. “Wild though, the coastal road was clear from the Mordorian villains. Bunch of human misfits with one braincell regretted quickly and grew more wisely by the stars that swivelled around their heads.” It was the most graphical description Quennar could up with how he had dispatched some interlopers without killing them or drawing blood. He passed through without any hinders further. The tower gorge was populated by the riders of Rohan, so it was safe passage there.

“Good to hear your people remain watchful,” nodded Quennar to Browntrunk. What was more there to say in this time? The greatest threats were long gone from this world, replaced by lesser evils. But still, maliciousness had not reduced. Enslaved to a dark lord was sometimes more preferable than being used a leverage by humans. With the dark lord you had certainty of death, with leverage you hadn’t. This forest had an ancient power even the likes of Sauron had no idea how to meet. Time was so infinite, only Morgoth had understood ever that principle and what possibilities that gave. Time aspect had never been an issue for the Valar. For all other kinds, including the Maiar, this was different.