M. Meduseld - Edoras Summer Festival - CLOSED (Head to the After Party now!)

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Elven Enchanter
Eawyn, An Audience Member

The Miss/Ter Meduseld pageant was fast becoming more exciting than she had ever thought possible. The contestants were interesting to say the least. Trying to watch various creatures, (human was far too kind a word for many of them) provide works of art that related to live in Rohan was extremely entertaining. Eawyn let out a most undignified giggle at Toast's masterpiece, though she was quite impressed by Jakiewyn's. However, the creature Silendris greatly disturbed her as she wasn't sure if the strange creature was alive, dead, or somewhere in between. But nothing held a candle to the orc! And that stench! Who had had the brilliant idea of opening the festival to non-humanoid races?

It didn't help that there was a fire on the stage, (or had a participant had managed to catch on fire?) but where that had come from Eawyn had absolutely no idea. As long as it didn't cause any lasting damage to the faire grounds, it wasn't her business. She was just here for the shires and giggles.

But, it appeared that there was a fair amount of family drama occuring in the middle of the event as Taethowen physically dragged Thalionwen across the tent. Eawyn wasn't' entirely certain what was going on, but guessed that it somehow related to the "husband" Thali claimed to have. "She always was an odd sort," Eawyn murmured. "I hope Taeth can knock some sense into her. It won't do to have her go off to the Black Lands, even if she is a bit of a disgrace to Rohan."

She muttered something about helping folks in trouble as she considered which participant her audience vote would go towards.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

New Soul
Announcing the Round One Standings!

Currently in 1st place with 40 points, we have Silendris! (@Sil )
In a close 2nd place we have Jakiewyn Ellenweorc with 38 points! (@Veowyn )
In 3rd place with 37 points is Mx Shadowfox (@Allafyrefleorhtlig )
Next up we have Toast with 34 points (@Burnt Toast)
Amethyst Copperpick comes in with 32 points (@Elarith)
Aelorco is our final contestant, with 30 points (@Dwarrow Elf)

Unfortunately we had to eliminate two contestants in this round. @Lailyn and Leylann (@Rowena Ellenweorc), we regret that you will not be progressing to the next round. Thank you for participating, and please stay and offer advice, encouragement, or heckling to the remaining contestants!

The assignment for round two will be posted shortly!
Last edited by Gwai on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thain of The Mark
Taethowen waited, on edge a bit because of... things that happened earlier, as Gwai announced the participants going into round two. When she finished, Taeth stepped forward and cleared her throat.

"Congratulations to all of you who have made it through. Lailyn and Leylann, thank you for your participation! You have done well, regardless.

"And now... for your next challenge, we would like you to design a summertime garment for life in Rohan. You'll be given 5 silver coins to spend on materials and labor costs, and there is only one other stipulation: the garment cannot be green.

"Ideally, this garment needs to be cooling, but sensible enough to be able to ride a horse, while also attractive to the eye. You will be required to model this garment--yourselves--for the judges and the audience to complete the round.

"You have three days to complete this task. Participants, please come forward and collect your coins."

Contestants, you have 24 hours to acknowledge your task and ask any questions. Your garment needs to be presented and modeled in three days (June 27th by 9AM EST). You do not need to RP your whole creation process, but you are welcome to if you wish to do so. Likewise, you do not have to provide an image of the garment, but may do so if you have the skill.

If you need helping describing a particular aspect of a garment, you may find this Pinterest board helpful.

Audience, judges can award bonus points again for round 2 to your favorite participants, so your participation is highly encouraged!
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Doorwarden of The Mark
Bereth - Spectator

Outwardly Ber pattered a polite handclap for all those who’d been chosen to advance, but inwardly she was ‘awwwww’ing at the announcement of those who were eliminated. She’d been waving a small handful of long stemmed grasses as her banner to cheer on the Green for her fellow Riders, but of course had to admit the competition had been pretty darn daunting. She didn’t envy the judges!

Hurriedly she moved to intercept @Lailyn as she was leaving the area and breathlessly stayed her. “Your entry nearly brought me to tears, it was a good effort! And honored our folk well.” She smiled and blithely offered her signature Ber-hug.

New Soul
Jakiewyn - acknowledging the next task-

"Wait. WHAT?! Gwai said that Leylann would not be continuing to round 2. Her sister-in-law's spouse was the reason Jakie had entered at all to begin with! If she had not entered there would have been a space for her? Would it have gone to the other voted off, and there be no Ellenweorc up here at all? Something did not feel right, to her. No one exuded more Rohan pride than their family, in her eyes. "Rude!" It almost sounded like she was booing the judges... from the stage! "I wonder if I could give Leylann my spot, this was her idea more than mine..." She took little notice that she was in 2nd place, currently.

She folded her arms across her chest, while she listened to Taethowen give the next task. She gave in to a slight chuckle when the seamstress gave the next as designing a summer garment. Though she laughed, she narrowed her brown eyes at the woman, silently questioning if this was a way for her to obtain new ideas for her shop. Once again she tweaked the whiskers on her mask, while thinking. She already had a few sketches back at home, of different garments. Maybe one of them would do, or could be adjusted for this. She knew enough sewing, and maybe the kids and or Rowena would help her, that she would not need the coins to pay for labor. She could buy better materials that way, at least.

She had a plan in mind, even knew the colors and a rough idea of how it would look, however she was still not sure about continuing without Leylann. Jakie looked at her, then looked for her husband Rhys and @Rowena Ellenweorc, to see what they thought.
Veowyn, Vandani, Jakiewyn, Caddrick, Ailura, Túrelia, Vigri, Vinca
Maldir - you are missed

New Soul
Toast was astonished his bluff hadn't been called. Well, based on the other fires and mishaps going on around here, this really seemed to be a good place for him. It seemed they were into chaos.

"Thank you! He called out, stepping forward, and accepting his coins. Their hair, thankfully, had decided to stop smoldering for the moment, and they would take advantage of the flame free time as best they could. But, then again, maybe that chaos was only to his advantage; it seemed this audience liked the strange. This contest might be their cup of tea after all.

But clothing... they had never made a piece of clothing in their life. This ought to be interesting. Toast headed off to gather materials, giving Silendris a wave as he passed them, (he had rather enjoyed their crushed glass artwork, very chaotic,) but wasn't so sure it would be well received. That one didn't seem to be particularly well versed at... interacting? Then again, who was he to talk.

He pondered the possibilities as he meandered off; and a slow grin made his way across his features. This was going to be a garment to remember, if he had anything to say about.

And, well, he did.

Obviously.
they/he/mischief

Doorwarden of The Mark
Amethyst Copperpick, collecting coins and brooding

After all the competitors had presented their pieces, and the judges deliberated - though about what Amethyst wasn't sure, as hers was clearly one of the best - came the announcement of who was through to the next round. Two Rohirrim were eliminated, and she applauded them. It was a cruel business and they had put up a good fight. But whilst she fought to keep her face serene, silently she was seething as only a dwarf can seethe. The rankings had placed her near the bottom. Second from last? Her?!? This would not do, not at all.

But the second task had been the one she was waiting for. A fashion task! She would have skipped with excitement if she hadn't been practising Serene and Beatific Winner face. Breathing deeply to stay calm, Amethyst approached the judges to collect the coins that would be at her disposal. She thanked them, dropped the cash into her handbag which startled Krystalle, and went to find her thinking spot beneath the tables again where she could plan in peace.

Second from last, was it? Vengeance would be had, in the cold, hard form of a beautiful garment.

Thain of The Mark
Back nearly ten years ago, when Taeth was stuck alone in Gondor and recovering from her illness, with her mind still muddled by fever and lack of sleep, she'd barely known her own name.

But there were certain things that her body, her reflexes, never forgot. Before she had, however briefly, been a Marshal of the Mark, she'd long been a pæthfindian. And if there was one thing that had been engrained in her, it was that if someone managed to sneak up behind you, you were about to die.

In Gondor, lost to the madness of a nightmare-ridden fever, Taeth had... severely frightened the nurse who'd tried to rouse her. It was many weeks later, when she'd been able to sit up and read through the tragically-sparse journal (which she apparently carried everywhere) that she recalled any of her time in the Cavalry, and with those disjointed memories, some of her more... protective instincts made sense. Other things that had happened since had only further engrained those habits.

Which is why, when Thalionwen bent down behind Taethowen and hissed in her ear, the first whisper of breath against her friend's skin nearly earned Thali a dagger to her throat. Taeth's hand was already on the hilt, beginning to draw it from the hidden sheath at her waist, before she remembered that she was in Edoras. In front of a crowd of people--of children--and despite the unfamiliar rage lacing it, the voice at her ear was familiar.

Desperate not to hurt her friend or cause alarm, Taeth forced herself to not move, just don't move, it's fine and no one will hurt you, and even if they do you're capable of saving yourself while pure vitriole poured from Thalionwen's mouth.

Only once Thalionwen had returned to her seat could Taeth find her breath again and slowly convince her fingers that she could let go of the dagger. So shaken was she by the abrupt shift in her friend's behavior that her hands trembled as she wrung them in her lap, hoping the pinch of pain would pull her from her own panic. Taeth ducked her head, hoping the prickle of tears building in her eyes would just go away. She hated crying, and she hated crying in public.

With the discipline she'd learned in the Cavalry--and relearned as she'd recuperated in Gondor--Taeth pushed the incident to the back of her mind with the greatest effort she had to give. She had responsibilities to tend to. Though she would be lying if she didn't admit that a tear or two of the ones that escaped during the final participant's performance were not because of the emotional state Thalionwen had pushed her into.

It was while Taeth and Gwai were discussing the participant's scores between them--Taeth having seemingly pushed past the incident completely, though anyone more familiar with her in more recent years would recognize the tenseness building in her jaw and neck and the slight daze to her eyes--that an idea struck her. Without pausing in her discussion, she managed to grab a scrap of paper and scribble out a message.

In a quiet moment just before those continuing to the second round were announced, Taeth slipped a key and a coin out of the leather pouch she carried, and wrapped the key with the message. She looked around and caught a child's eye, smiled, and beckoned them over. "I have a silver coin for you if you can give this to the pretty auburn-haired lady over there," Taeth pointed Culfinwen out in the crowd. The child nodded, eyes beaming. Taeth smiled and handed over both the coin and paper-wrapped key, and watched until the message was safely in Culfinwen's hand.

Do you remember my house in Edoras? If not, just make your way toward the Hall of Histories, it's only a few streets further in from there, and I'll wait outside to meet you. That's the key for door in case you make it there before me. Bring Thalionwen with you, no matter what you have to do. It's fine if her husband comes too.

But she was unable to wait and see Culfy's reaction, as Gwai finished announcing the participants for the next round, and Taeth stepped up to announce the next task.

By the time she finished speaking, Taeth was desperate for a truly quiet moment to gather her thoughts. As the contestants and their families began to filter out, Taeth begged her leave from Gwai. "There aren't any more valuables to be secured here," Taeth said. "Would it be terribly bothersome of me to ask you to stay until the crowd disperses for the night?"

Barely pausing to see Gwai's answer, Taeth gathered up her personal belongings and slipped out into the streets of Edoras.

OOC @Thalionwen @Bïfrøst @Culfinwen Lihtarwe @Dwarrow Elf just dragging this drama out of Miss/ter Meduseld to Life in the Mark so we don't keep spamming our poor contestants, lolol.

OOC @Veowyn well DUH :smiley16: how else is Taethowen going to keep up with Rohan's latest trends after being away for ten years?! But don't worry, any designs inspired by contestants for Awesnis will be duly credited and commissioned. :smiley11:
Westmark Éored

Ent Ancient
Lailyn, exiting stage

When the results for round one were announced, Lail breathed a sigh of relief. Before she left, she turned to Jakiewyn. "Well done! Your model of Helm's Deep was exceptional. Don't let up on the second round, I want to see a Rohir take the title!" She clapped her on the shoulder and then paused near Mx. Shadowfox. "Your performance, your art, your story was incredible. I was captivated! I wish you the very best in the remaining rounds!"

But just when she thought she could relax, she realised her aunt was not going to be pleased. Not at all. Maybe she could somehow slip away from the contest without having to face her. Before she could make any efforts to delay the inevitable, Bereth approached her and Lail returned the embrace.

"Thank you, Bereth! It came from my heart. Perhaps it was a touch too personal, but I wouldn't have done it any differently knowing the outcome." At the end of the day, she knew her integrity was intact and she could never be unhappy about that. "Anyway, I didn't even enter myself, so I'm not too torn up about it. Some of the entries are quite...interesting, don't you think? What will they come up with next?"

Melkor
Melkor
Aelorco
Round 2
Next Task

The words "Back-stabbing treacherous" summoned Aelorco out of his post panic attack trance, as his eyes opened, his pupils dilating, and he said,

"Where's da rat?" Aelorco responded, his eyes and head darting around wildly. But once he saw Thalionwen his eyes calmed, pupils returning to normal, and his hands unclenched, "Oh, my head. Where am I? Is the contest still on?"

But the flesh-rotting diseased person frowned as he saw Thalionwen glare daggers at Taethowen.

"Hey," Aelorco said to Thalionwen, as he placed a gentle large hand on one of her shoulders, "that's yer friend, right?"

Meanwhile, Taethowen had announced the next challenge as Aelorco nodded. A frown once again appeared on his face, "Will they even eccept me?" he asked to himself.

"Imma go get the coins, hun," he told Thalionwen, shifting his eyes to her and grinned, "maybe the clothing'll cover these rags; wish there a horse was involved, though."

"Aright, imma go up," Aelorco began to say as he shifted his eyes upward again, but his eyes lingered at Taethowen who was gathering her belongings and appeared to be leaving the area.

"Hey hun, where's yer friend going?" Aelorco said, "She leavin' before the contest ends."

Then for a moment, he paused, his mouth slightly agape, his eyes narrowing with his chest, shoulders, and arms tightening.

"She knows somethin'," he concluded in a husked whisper, "You go on ahead hun. I'll get the coins and follow ya." Without waiting for a response, Aelorco quickly moved up to collect the coins, his eyes every so often darting to both his wife and the fleeing Taethowen.

Thain of The Mark
Shadowfox smiled and bowed humbly at the announcement of the scores, seeming neither ruffled nor boastful of their own positioning, and instead applauding enthusiastically for the other entrants for their contributions. As the disqualifications were announce they bowed gracefully to the two departed participants @Lailyn and Leylann (@Rowena Ellenweorc) while also applauding them for their contributions. Shadowfox headed over to speak to them both to ensure neither were too disheartened.

"Leylann, I loved your 'felled bodyguard' presentation; I dare say I shall have to hear the full tale of it some day for I suspect there is so much more to that story" they commented with genuine curiosity. "Perhaps next time we can pair up, and I can tell the tale while you represent it with your skilled art?"

Turning then to Lailyn, they admired the Simbelmyne-tasseled feather boa-filled blanket-turned pillow with an admiring eye, noting with real heart that had gone into its design. It looked like something you could hug close on a lonely night to take heart. "I was rather touched by your presentation, and the spirit and passion of it. I'm sorry you didn't make it through, but thank you for thinking of those who could not be here today. It meant a lot to me." they said, wondering if it would be inappropriate to offer a hug, and simply opening their arms in a welcoming manner for Lailyn to accept a warm embrace if they wished.

Too soon, they were recalled to the next task. Collecting their coins, Shadowfox took a moment to tilt their head in consideration... something summery but Rohirric and not green. A smile curled one edge of their lips at the challenge, and they headed away to collect their materials.

Arien
Arien
Silendris Receiving Results and Prepping For Task 2

Silendris had been waiting with bated breath for the results. This wasn’t difficult, as Naokis occasionally forgot to breathe anyway, and Silendra has had a long history of not breathing at all for one reason or another (usually, being dead). Alas, being in a fresh, new, vibrant body had apparently not quite quelled the unheimlich feeling they gave people, BUT perhaps this was the X factor edge that was bringing them so much success so far...

Silendris squealed in delight as the results were announced. They had placed first! They had not even had to threaten anyone, unless a weird way of walking and the way their eyes didn’t focus at the same time could be considered “threatening”. In some areas this is considered friendly. Even over-friendly, at that. Silendris had noted the general commotion and made a note to not even look smoulderingly at @Thalionwen - difficult, as all of their glances were, of course, unbelievably And uncontrollably sexy. It wasn’t worth being chased down by a diseased orc over, at any rate.

They were further delighted by the announcement of the next task. Sewing and designing an outfit! This could not have been tailored (aha, ahahaha) better for Silendris. Lendra has spent plenty of time making her own “outfits” in Mordor, as you can’t get a troll OR an orc to understand a proper steel-boned corset for hate nor money, and trading with the Haradrim had given plenty of opportunity both for that and a good understanding in materials; whilst Naokis has spent many tortuous hours hand-felting Teeny Tiny Cutesy outfits for his many, many puppets.

They rubbed their hands together and wandered off in search of supplies.
cave anserem

Horse Trainer of The Mark
Leylann was annoyed that she didn't make it past the first round at first, but people were nice to her. Especially that Shadowfox character. A grin plastered across her face as they mentioned that there must be some story behind it. 'There is indeed. It's when I met my wife-- the second time anyway. I was assigned to be her bodyguard because at the time she was voiceless. She didn't take too kindly to it.' Leylann laughed and then noticed Jakiewyn seemed to be a little upset. She blinked. 'Sis, darlin'-- what's wrong? Aren't you happy you placed? You could win this whole thing. Heaven knows the Ellenweorc clan could use something to celebrate after all.' She planted a kiss on Jakie's cheek, then laughed as she heard the announcement of the next task. 'Okay, it's a damned good thing I lost. I mean, Rowena dressed me today, Rhys dressed me last time, there is no way in all of Rohan I could design a dress by myself. You on the other hand, have developed quite the knack for it. Making all the kids clothes and whatnot. Bring home the title, Jakiewyn.'

Rhys knew the look on Jakie's face plain as day. His sister had been right. Jakie HAD joined out of jealousy. A little smirk played on his face knowing that his wife could still get jealous by his actions. But he shook it off immediately, and gave Leylann a hug and a kiss on the cheek. WELL if she wasn't sure she should continue, now that she had no reason to be jealous, he'd GIVE her one. 'Those people are IDIOTS,' he shouted. 'You should have won that round fair and square! I mean, how can a lousy beer tapestry beat out a heartfelt display of your meeting Annie? I mean that was the pivotal point in your relationship!'
Leylann raised her brows. 'Rhys, calm down... I admit, I probably could have done a better job.'
'Don't tell me to relax, I'm going to demand a recount!'
'Rhys -- what about Jakiewyn. She's still in the running.'
'Well I want you in the running too. You were unfairly kicked out!'
Leylann sighed. If there was one thing she knew, like Rowena, there was no arguing with Rhys. But she'd try for Jakie's sake, 'Rhys! Calm down! It's fine. What if you by your actions get Jakie kicked out of the running?'
Rowena wrapped her arm around Leylann's waist and whispered something in her ear. With that, the two of them walked off, Leylann looking behind her worriedly.
Meanwhile, Rhys appeared to be heading toward the judges angrily . . .

@Taethowen and @Gwai (Don't worry he's not actually going to berate you. ;) )
Last edited by Rowena Ellenweorc on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In War We Know Willpower, In Peace We Know Love~

Balrog
Frost, Spectating and Not Causing Marital Issues

Silendris was through to the next round! Excellent. And Frost did not even have to bribe or threaten anyone to make sure they got through. What a concept! They were doing well in the new body, as well as could be expected since they were in fact dead. Though now that was a legitimate question to ask.

It was going to be a tough call going forward, he felt a certain amount of loyalty to Silendris, why was anyone’s (including his) guess, but when the one named Shadowfox began a retelling of Gecko’s attack he grew misty eyed. Obviously it was for completely different reasons that anyone else around here. She was a treasure, a genuine role model for all prospective inhabitants of the Blasted Lands of Mordor.

Silendris might need some extracurricular assistance. If he caused too much of a stir, the whole thing might be cancelled, and then they’d try to kill him for ruining their fun. He needed to be subtle here. It was hard to tell if they’d appreciate his interference. Silendra might have, but this wasn’t Silendra anymore, Silendris was a whole new bag of bones (quite literally).

His very presence had disrupted the festival already, judging from the reactions he got from Thali and her friend (Taeth). He was still wracking his brain trying to remember her. That face. He recognized the face, but not name. That wasn’t the name she gave him. Lilith? Lemuria? Lupercalia? No, none of those sounded right. He had a feeling he was going to step into a hornet’s nest with them and… that was Orco wasn’t it? but he couldn’t help himself.

He wandered back stage, this time doing his best not to be noticed by Thali and any of the other’s trying to run the competitions. He examined the tent poles, testing their strength and just how deep they were in the ground. It would be a shame if the tents malfunctioned during the performance of Round Two.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
The competition was getting out of control. Just as Gwai was announcing the first round scores, she heard a low voice issuing threats, something about husbands, Frost, and Mundberg? Completely confused and regretting she had not had the foresight to bring her sword to a pageant, Gwai turned around to address the claims and possibly protect herself, but it immediately was clear that Thali was in fact addressing Teath and not her. Green eyes wide, Gwai looked at Taeth for her response, but Thali quickly swept away, somewhat dramatically, Gwai thought to herself. Taeth composed herself nicely and announced the next round, but soon asked if Gwai would mind finishing up here. "Of course not," Gwai said, curious as to what was going on, but not wanting to pry. "Have a good night. And please, if you need anything, you'll let me know?" she added, a bit concerned with Taeth's safety with the high level of emotions that seemed to be flowing.

There was more commotion as well coming from another contestant area, from what Gwai could see, and with raised voices, although she couldn't quite make out what was being said. Rowena and Leylann were there, so Gwai knew things would not get too out of hand, although her confidence faltered a bit when Rowena and Leylann began walking home, and a rather angry looking individual (Rhys) began approaching the judge's table that Gwai had begun packing up for the night. Gwai stood to her feet. She had known emotions ran high during events such as this, but being in the thick of it was a bit disconcerting.

Taeth's friends had mostly left, and Gwai stayed, tidying a few things up, picking up broken shards of glass before the next round started, finding them everywhere, as she circled around the stage trying to make sure she found them all. She could only imagine what would happen if a contestant stepped on one. The shards were everywhere. She was soon distracted by an individual she did not recognize (Frost), but thought she had seen speaking with Taeth and Thali earlier. It seemed odd he was still here, particularly backstage. And was he testing the tent poles? Why in Bema's name would he be doing that? She stood up gracefully, deposited the collected glass shards on a nearby table, and walked over to where he was inspecting the tent poles, more closely than she would expect anyone to ever need to. "Hello there," she said, keeping her voice pleasant. "Can I help you with something?" she asked, gesturing to the tent poles he was peering at with much interest.

Black Númenórean
Zôrzimril, Sneaking Spectating

A slight figure flitted through the festival, pausing to peer at the revelers from the shadows every now and again. With her black hair and grey eyes, the woman would have stood out among the blonde riders; but wearing unadorned, ashen grey, the shadows accepted her as one of their own. At her right hip sat a dagger; at her left, a sword.

She couldn't get over how the place stank of horse and hay; her nose crinkled involuntarily in disgust whenever the light breeze brought a fresh wave of the smell. Her eyes flashed with irritation at the sound of laughter. The horse-lords were enjoying far too much about this summer's day. Annoyed as she was by the Rohirrim and their smelly horses, Zôrzimril was curious - curious about what kind of trouble she could cause - not by openly declaring herself, but from the shadows, in small incursions, to chip away at their delight at the summer festivities.

She crept from tent to colorful, grotesque tent, finally stopping beside one marked by a sign of a noble-looking woman gazing into the distance. Too bad the lady hadn't seen Zôrzimril coming. Zôr stopped herself from slashing at the banner with her dagger - better to go unnoticed until she could really make a mess.

Zôrzimril ducked into the tent and found herself near a stage. There was a lot going on. People rushed to and fro, yammering on about cloth and garments and points and fighting over someone's husband. She didn't think anyone noticed her in the ruckus. Looking up, she noted that the tent pole nearest the backstage area seemed a bit . . . unstable. It was moving as if a fierce wind was blowing, and she knew that the air outside was calm. She went to investigate.

A figure (Frost) stood behind the stage, clearly already messing with the tent. Interesting. Someone who was steps ahead of her. Zôrzimril smirked, resting her hands on her hips and considering the situation. "So you're the one trying to bring down the house. What's your next move here?" Without waiting for an answer, she went on, "Whatever it is, I'm in."

She slid into a shadowy corner when a woman (Gwai) appeared and began to question her new (assumed) companion-in-havoc, waiting.
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Rhys, once out of line of sight of Jakie put a finger to his lips to signal to Gwai he wasn't actually here to cause trouble, but his line of sight immediately went to where Gwai was tending to some unwanted guests it seemed. Rhys stood still for a moment, debating whether he had time to grab his sister, or if he should just stay as backup. He definitely didn't want to ask her, and raise alarm, so he decided maybe he should 'disappear.' Rowena shouldn't be too far away yet. And even if she was, he knew she'd be in the barracks at Edoras.
He found her with Leylann in the dressing rooms. 'Annie… I think there might be a problem at the judges tent.'

'Oh? And what am I supposed to do about it? I'm pretty sure both Taethowen and Gwai can handle themselves.'
'Why? Are they Cavalry?'
'Yes.'
'Oh. But don't you think you should check it out anyway?'
'Fine -- what did you see?'
'Not much, but it looked like for all intents and purposes they wanted to bring down the tents.'
'All right, I'll be there in a moment. You help Leylann.'
'Shouldn't I come with you, Annie?' Leylann asked.
'No. We don't want to announce our presence unless necessary. Do put on your Cav uniform though and keep a wary eye out though in case they try to run.' Rowena smiled and kissed Leylann, then disappeared, using the nightfall as cover. Her eyes scanned the tent, while remaining hidden in shadow. Carefully she watched to make sure no one else besides the obvious was present. Her senses did tingle as if there was another though.

'Rhys, is Rowena putting herself into danger?' Leylann washed her face in the wash basin and undid the hair strands pulled back into braids. Now this was Audley in a dress. He dried his face with a towel and looked at Rhys.

'I don't think so… But even if she is, that's her job, to protect Rohan and it's people.' Rhys paused in speaking and gaped. 'Damn, I almost forgot you had facial hair! Rowena did a good coverup job for you!'

Audley chuckled as he pulled off the dress. 'She does have talents that would surprise most of the people who know her, but aren't as close to her as we are. Corset please, then hand me my uniform. Its in that bag,' he pointed to a bag in the corner.

'Yessir.' Rhys undid the corset for his brother-in-law, then placed the bag on the table. 'DAMN Aud-- what's in this thing?'

'My life, my universe, my everything,' Audley replied as he put his various earrings back in his ears. 'Ah, much better. That's the weirdest thing about being Leylann is losing most of my piercings.'
'Even weirder than the corset?'
'Yes.'
'Why do you lose the earrings anyway? I mean women can have all those piercings, Rowena being proof.'

Audley shrugged. 'Leylann is kinda representative of the me before I met you guys, I guess you could say.' With that, he put his belt at his side, having perfected dressing in uniform in a matter of seconds of the years of being in Cavalry. 'Head on home Rhys. And don't ever use me to make Jakie jealous again.' He turned on his heels and headed for somewhere where he could be of use if needed but far enough out of the way not to be seen.

New Soul
Toast made their way back to the contestant area with all the spring gone from their step. They had worked so hard on their outfit. It had been multi-coloured patches and utter beauty-- comfortable and yet flamboyant, it had been perfect.

But the dejected soul that dragged their feet now had no such outfit. A singed smell wafted with them, and each step left a small trail of soot and poofed up a little cloud of dust and smoke poof. poof. poof. went the steps. They were lucky their own clothing had survived the massive hair fire (his hair and beard, by the way, was perfectly fine, ginger tufts stuck out every which way as usual. Rude.) Well, most of their clothing had. Their shirt had completely burned away, and parts of their pants had large smoking holes in them, some of the concentration of soot and smoke giving the appearance that Toast may have let off a particularly flamey toot. That was not the case, thank you very much, but, well, Toast was too preoccupied with the tatters of cloth he was carrying to care overmuch.

They made their way to the front, barefoot, covered from head to toe in soot and dirt in various patches, mainly all over their chest where the main fire had caught and their shirt burned away.

"I would like to present," Toast began, choking back tears, "the burned remains of my outfit, a functional- hic-" the hiccups had started now, he was crying rather hard, "functional- hic- outfit that form fits the figure, in a colorful patchwork meant to represent the colorful and multi-faceted identities of the peoples that make up Rohan-hichic- and-" but he couldn't continue.

He dropped the tattered remains in front of the judges, and began to walk away, unconsciously drawing artistic swirls in the soot on his chest. And then it hit him.

This was the answer.

Toast deftly set about drawing patterns across his torso and as much as of his back as he could reach, even tearing the remains of his pants off (he still had his colorful boxers on, which were smoky, but fine- hush, you) so he had his legs as a canvas as well. Soon, his whole body had become a work of art-- and he stepped back in front of the judges.

"Dear judges! I rescind my previous entry, and enter this instead: the ULTIMATE summer garment. It's nice and cool, and absolutely comfortable, flexible, and well, who wouldn't want to look like THIS?" they flexed a skinny bicep, and ran a hand through their hair, which stuck up wildly after, and was now streaked orange and grey.

They cut an astonishing figure, covered in grey sooty art, hair sticking up wild and high, flexing their skinny freckled arms. "What say you? It's even quite flexible in the way that the design can be changed at your convenience!" to demonstrate this, they quickly scrubbed a bit of the design off the middle of their chest, and redrew on a fancy set of buttons and a pocket square. "See? Now, not only am I comfortable, but I'm all set for a fancy dinner!"
they/he/mischief

Arien
Arien
Silendris, Exhibiting Entry for Task 2

There was definitely something odd - well; odder than usual - going on in Rohan.

Not just the expected shenanigans that would come with any Summer Festival. There were an unusual amount of ... some of their old kith and kin... around, and Silendris wondered vaguely if an invasion had been planned to coincide with the Festival - it would be admirable planning - but they had somehow missed the memo. It had been a little while since they’d shown up for active service, and their rank had been held by Silendra anyway, not their new self - dubiously Silendris eyed the callouses on their new body, which were frankly weird, and not those of a swordsman. They had spotted @Bïfrøst around, though, and Frost was sure to tell them if there was something going on. Right? Right? He totally recognised them in their new ... outfit, right?

Which was, by the way, fabulous. Silendris flicked their hair over their shoulder and bowed to the judges.

They unfurled their usual essay, which nobody wanted to hear about but which Silendris was going to subject them all to anyway. A long and dull lecture about something was exactly what everyone needed in the afternoon.

“When we were thinking about an outfit that would properly represent... dramatic pause..: Rohan,” they began, flinging an arm outstretched to the sky, “we thought, what does the average Rohirric person need?

1) Freedom to move. This is important, because it makes it easy to ride, to drink, to fight, and to farm. Someone’s got to bring those crops in to brew into ale.

2) Breathability and moisture wicking. It gets hot in here. Horses and humans are sweaty.

3) STYLE, BABY. A Rohirrim has to look fabulous, nay glorious.

And thus we present our creation!”

Silendris dramatically flourished their hands about their own person.

“For convenience, this apparel is a one-piece easy-care garment. It’s made of a blended fabric woven from cotton; linen, and wool: temperature regulating, moisture wicking; the wool can be lanolised to give you some wet weather protection too!

It’s mostly brown, because you didn’t give us enough money for rainbow dye.”

Silendris stuck out a leg.

“Note the snazzy elasticated cuffs are the ankles: though these trouser legs are loose and will fit all sizes whilst still looking elegant, these cuffs will make sure there’s no dragging on the ground even for our petite fashionistas! Trimmed in gorgeous gold, as are the reinforced leather patches at the thighs, so you can ride all day and never feel chafing.”

Silendris shuddered. Everyone hates chafing.

“Moving up the waist,” their hands drifting up, “you’ll find a double set of pockets for all your Rohirric Knick knacks like dried jerky and horse hair bracelets. There’s a VERY discreet bum-flap for when those beers make their way rapidly through your system. Cinched with a gorgeous waist-piece in the colour of your Mark: we have chosen blue here for Eastmark since we weren’t allowed green - and finished with a red sash.

The frontispiece is decorated just how we liked it with some random cheap buttons we found in the marketplace, and a v-cut of red to really accentuate one’s... well, one’s whatever.”

Silendris looked down, a trifle sadly. No whatevers in this body. Well, one - or two - has to make so.

“Finally,” they finalised, “finished with these cute lil bronze horse head epaulettes which fasten the garment at the shoulder should you wish to strip off in a hurry, we aren’t judging. And, not visible from the front or under our amazing hair, is a cutesy little hood! I even sewed ears on.”

Silendris beamed and did a little twirl. They were really very proud of themselves.
cave anserem

Balrog
Frost, Spectating and Not Causing Mayhem

“I… uh… sorry,” Frost coughed and tried to smile apologetically. “I was doing a little work for Taethowen,” that was her name right? “she asked me to check on the structures and make sure everything was tip top.” Had the woman (Gwai) bought it? She looked friendly enough but he could never tell with the folk of the Riddermark. He bowed and jiggled the pole once more, doing his best to pretend like he was trying to push the pole down rather than lift it up and topple everything.

He blinked. Had he just… yes. Over the shoulder of the woman, he spied a dark haired woman (Zôrzimril) duck into the shadows. He had no idea who she was, but he instantly knew she was there for the same reason he was: chaos. He shook his head, trying to signal her while pretending to swat at a fly for the benefit of the Rohir still watching him.

His gorge rose for a second, but he swallowed it down and put on the best smile he could. “If you’d like to help me for just a moment, I think this pole is loose and I can’t seem to get it stuck on my own.” He glanced back to the minion in the shadow and tilted his head to the side, hopefully indicating for her to meet him around back in the crowd as soon as he escaped his predicament here.

Frost fumbled with the post a little more, play acting his way through shoving it into the ground until he was sure he had satisfied whatever suspicions the woman had. “I appreciate how it must have looked though, a dark haired outlander wondering about on his own. You needn’t worry about me though. I’m here to support a friend in the competition. In fact,” he turned his ear toward the stage, “I think that’s them on stage now.” He recognized the odd sound of Silendris’ voice on stage, half like a human and half like a bee. He bowed again to the woman and sauntered off, walking casually until he was out of her line of sight before legging it into the crowd.

He caught the end of Silendris’ presentation, he wasn’t sure what was going on, the modeling and judging of clothing was never really his strong suit, but it was Silendris so it didn’t matter what he thought, though they did look rather good, they could have fit in with the rest of the horse lovers if they so choose.

“Bravo!!” He shouted, before ducking back into the crowd to find the minion from earlier, they had some planning to do.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Black Númenórean
Zôrzimril, Spectating Or Whatever

It had been a narrow miss. She'd managed to get out of sight as the Rohir (Gwai) accosted her potential chaos-mate (Frost). Zôr stifled a giggle as she watched the minion make excuses for himself, waving his hand about to cover his gestures to her. This would be fun.

She took his gesturing to mean, "Let's find a way to talk somewhere we're not automatically suspects in the crime we were about to commit." There were noises coming from the stage now; it seemed that people had returned to do whatever exuberant thing it was they were on about in this tent.

Zôrzimril crept from her hiding place when the horse-loving woman wasn't looking; she eventually made her way out into the crowd. All eyes were fixed on the individual onstage, so she applauded loudly and cried, "Oh, my! What elegance!" with the rest as the person (Silendris) described an elaborate getup with what appeared to be a giant pocket on their rear. What was going on? Someone said something about judges; she concluded that this was some sort of costume-making contest. She rolled her eyes at the spectacle. At least it'd keep the horse people distracted while she - hopefully - got a plot or two off the ground. She scanned the crowd for her hopeful partner-in-crime.

She spotted him toward the back of the tent shouting "Bravo!" and wove her way through the gathered throng toward him. "Well, that was a bust," she muttered as she stepped up next to him. "Do you know this individual?" Zôr gestured toward the stage, where the person with a bum-pocket was now spinning around. "Think they'd be up for helping burn the place down, if it came down to it?"

Thain of The Mark
Contestants, you have roughly 14.5 hours remaining to model your garments!

We're still waiting on Modeled Garments from:
@Veowyn - Jakiewyn Ellenweorck
@Allafyrefleorhtlig - Mx Shadowfox (I KEEP TRYING TO TYPE SHADOWFAX UGH. :smiley16:)
@Elarith - Amethyst Copperpick
@Dwarrow Elf - Aelorco (Orco del Oro)

Audience, please watch for the next Favorite Participant Poll within 15-16 hours!
Westmark Éored

Elven Enchanter
Zarâm - Spying, Plotting, doing Minion Things

Zarâm had finally arrived to the Miss/ter Meduseld and it appeared that quite the Mordor contingent was there. Both on the stage and observing. She watched as Silendris was modeled a pantaloon. "Bravo!" she heard a familiar voice shout. She turned and saw Frost, who she immediately recognised from On the Rocks, and another (Zôrzimril) who was not as familiar. Both looked quite suspicious as all Mordorians were ought to look. But thankfully, not too suspicious as none of the organisers of said event seemed to have caught on as to what would soon be happening. Perhaps there would be a great chance of causing some mischief and mayhem throughout this event as well as various amounts throughout the fairgrounds.

Taking great care to avoid any and all Rohirrim, (it was not yet time to be known by outsiders) Zarâm slunk up to where the two of them were fiddling around with the tent pole. Where she heard the woman ask, "Think they'd be up for helping burn the place down, if it came down to it?" while gesturing at what appeared to be the Mordorian contingent in the pageant.

Zarâm nodded and asked, "And what sort of mischief, besides fire, is perhaps planned for this event? As much mayhem as possible needs to be caused during this … festival. And what is a party without burning something down?" All the best parties in the Black Lands involved great amounts of debauchery, incineration, and bodily injury. Such shenanigans were sure to occur at some point, but not while the various contestants of the Black Lands still stood a chance.

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen, Departing

"Um, yes," Thalionwen told Orco, trying her level best not to be distracted by the flamboyant costumes already being shown off. Bema's horn, minions could work fast when they had a mind to. She liked that about them. She liked a lot of things about them, even if perhaps she shouldn't. "That's...that's my friend. And I think I'd better go check on her."

Thali turned back to the intimidating figure at her side--intimidating even wrapped in head to toe bandages, which was quite a feat--and smiled. Her heart wasn't fully in it, but it was the best she could do.

"I'm so glad you could come," Thali told Orco, and her heart was in that--she was always glad to be with him. "Will you be alright if I leave, just for a little while? I'll be back in time to see whatever you come up with for the competition, and if you need anything, you can ask the way to my shop."

Outside of Mordor, she felt oddly protective of her rather unconventional spouse. It was a risk, after all, for him to be here, and she hated the idea of leaving him. But her temper, always quick to flare up and just as quick to die down again, had gotten the better of her. It was time to make things right with Taethowen.
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

New Soul
Jakiewyn - Round 2

Leylann had done enough to calm Jakiewyn. The encouragement helped her decide to stay in it. Lailyn's words too. She wasn't exactly from Rohan, originally, but she had now lived here longer than she had been in Gondor, and this was home. Miss Meduseld was going to be her title! Plus she did really want to do that after party she promised on her sign up form.

Well, now that she had already come out ahead of Leylann, Rhys had to give his wife the attention right? No! He hugged and kissed Leylann, and then stalked off. Jakie's eyes narrowed. "Rhys! You leave those ladies alone!" She looked at Rowena, who was just pulling Leylann off. What was going on here? She was usually much better about sensing Ellenweorc scheming. This time she was seeing red. She crossed her arms, and stamped her foot. Really? What did she have to do to get her husband's attention?! She went to pull the mask off her face, since even the cat had not helped enough... Wait, cat... ears.. paw prints.... Jakie had an idea, what would definitely get her husband's attention.. it could be the wrong kind of attention, cause he could be mad at her... but right now her jealousy pounding in her ears prevented her from even noting the risk. "What's summer fashion without showing a little skin?" She ran off, to bring her plans to life.

She did not have time to create a whole new garment from scratch. She ran to her trunk and pulled out a light blue number. Simple, traditional Rohan design. It was cool material, but fit a little snugly. It was perfect. She slipped it on, stood in front of a looking glass and grabbed a piece of charcoal to make marks for where she wanted to cut. First a deep V shape from collar to cleavage, then she made the lines to cut the length to just below the knee, then ones to completely cut out the right side, from directly under the arm all the way down, and the left side she only set to cut from waist down. She then slipped the dress off, got out her sheers and cut away. She also cut the sleeves off at the shoulders, she hadn't needed to mark those though.

When this task, and the task of stitching the edges was done, she then found another material. It was yellow, and see-through. She laid it over the garment, and cut it to over the front, including the "V", all the way down, as well as to span the gap on the left side. She then stitched it into place, with some of her blue scraps as trim and a couple pockets. Now all that was left was to place a couple spaces out laces on the more still open side. She wanted to make sure that the dress stayed closed, but she did not want anything obstructing her husband's (and every one else's) view of her hip and the intricate tattoo she had there. Maybe the wolf paw, with the cat's head outline would grab some attention.

It had taken hours, days? Jakie had no idea what day or time that it was. She had been so focused on this project. She slipped her masterpiece on, fixed her hair into a fresh braid, and put her white cat mask and gloves back on. Sure the tail was missing, but she wanted to keep some of the persona. She then stepped out into the chaos that was becoming of this event, wearing her sleeveless, almost traditional number, with a see-through V at the top, as well as on the left side, and a barely laced/open right side. WITH POCKETS! It was light blue, and yellow, and in some places even appeared to be green, although it definitely included NO green colored material...technically.
Maldir - you are missed

Melkor
Melkor
Aelorco
Round 2
At the Market

"Ya know, for a clothing peddlah ya seem to be lacking on the big-boned clothes," Aelorco said as he unfolded yet another set of blue trousers, seeing that they weren't even close to fitting his tree branch legs and his wide waist, and placed it on the 4 foot pile of blue trousers.

The attire for his upper body was easy enough to pick at first. He entered the market, where his bandaged state apparently repelled everyone else at least 6 feet away from him. This allowed enough time for Aelorco to pet the various horses that were about, rubbing their muzzle gently and cooing at them. Then, using 1 silver coin, he successfully haggled a silver necklace in the shape of Helm's Deep for only 1 silver coin. Perhaps the dangling gauze causing the person to hold his nose did the trick. That necklace he was to give to his wife, Thalionwen. He considered visiting the peddler selling saddles, but then remembered that he was here to dress up as a made person.

So once he went to the unnamed Non-Player-Character (NPC) clothing peddler. After specifically specifying that he did not want something made out of a cute sheep, or a cute cow lest he infect the peddler with his disease, he grabbed what apparently was a bulky blue linen coat. It was a dark shade of blue, but it contrasted with the silvery embroidered threads in the shape of various ponies and horses strewn throughout in silver thread.

"Give me that for 1 coin, or I'll let everyone know ya persecute against the diseased," Aelorco said matter-of-factly, his narrowed eyes glaring at the peddler, "Yeah that's right, give me it! Ya don't want no trouble now, do ya?"

Now was the troublesome part, the pants. Set after set were cast aside, creating a 4 foot tower of pants that had piled up higher than the counter.

"You monster! How many sheep did ya skin for this? How many cows? If I was yer wife, I would leave you for a Ta-rith Tower Gondorian! Ya know how many diseases are in these? I oughta report ya to the constable!" Aelorco said, as he placed both his hands on the counter and intimidated the unnamed NPC peddler, who now was cowering in fright, "Now you listen here..."

Aelorco's eyes strayed in the corner, noticing pants that were not quite like the others. For one, it just looked like it was made differently. It was mostly dark blue, with sporadic areas of white where the knees were supposed to be.

"Gimme dat!" Aelorco commanded, and the unnamed NPC peddler hurriedly grabbed the very large set of dark blue pants, placing them on the counter, Aelorco looked behind him, noticing some people staring, "what you lookin' at? I'm taken you freaks!"

He felt the fabric, and his eyes bulged. This was very different! It was no animal hide certainly, but the threads seemed to be somehow reinforced to such a degree that it felt like each line was taut yet flexible at the same time. He moved his hand across the sturdy blue fabric, knowing that these pants were durable and could withstand the rigor of 1000 cavalry charges. He took his hand off the fabric, looking at it in wonder. Then Aelorco noticed the pants' sides, noticing two heavily stitched pockets. He nodded in approval, knowing that his possessions would be safe in each pocket, for it would take multiple stab attempts to even puncture these pants. He then put them on, finding the size to be perfect, and a cool touch tingled his legs.

In another time, it is said that these pants would be gifted various names by men of many tongues. One of them was "cow-herder pantaloons" made with "hard cloth tack." The origins of these names perhaps were the common usage of these blue pants by cow-herders. The "hard cloth tack" name was harder to understand, as these clothes were not nearly as edible as hard tack. Another name was "Jeans" made out of a material called "Denim," though the latter's name was uttered by a strange folk who would've been ostracized and labelled as outcasts in modern times like these. But this was a digression from the main story of Aelorco putting on the pantaloons, which immediately fell down to his ankles as soon as he put it on.

"Gimme a belt. I'm not gonna hit ya with it, just gimme it," Aelorco said as the unnamed NPC peddler took a belt, hands shaking, placing it on the counter. Aelorco donned the black belt, putting on the dark blue pants, tightening his dark blue pants.

"Imma give you 2 silver coins, but only if ya give me a stylish blue hat and a blue cape," Aelorco haggled successfully. As the dark blue bowler hat and Dark blue cape that was stylized with silvery horses appeared soon enough.

"Here's your coins," Aelorco said as he handed the two silver coins to the nondescript unnamed cloth peddler NPC.

With that, Aelorco left the market and returned to the competition area with a bulky dark blue linen coat with silvery embroidered threads in the shape of various ponies and horses strewn throughout, dark blue "jeans" as the modern weirdo vernacular would put it, a dark blue bowler hat, and a dark blue cape that was stylized with silvery horses.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Amethyst Copperpick, Round 2

Amethyst was tingling with excitement. She couldn’t just do one piece. She had to construct an entire outfit for a dwarven lady enjoying summer in Rohan. If it went well she could do a whole wardrobe... But best concentrate on the first look for now.

Not green wasn’t a very hard stipulation for her to adhere too, since she wasn’t a fan of the colour herself (not that she would tell the Rohirrim that). She had already picked her colour palette - cornflower blue, dusky pink, deep red, lemon. After a few preliminary sketches she had her ideas nailed down, so trotted off to the Riddermarket, coins jingling in her purse. Accessories would not be a problem - she travelled with a chest of those and would have something to match - but she would need material to sew her outfit from.

After a tense half hour of negotiations, the dwarf had gotten the fabrics she needed at good prices (mostly because the shopkeeper wanted rid of her). She had also found some urchins loafing about round the Riddermarket, and a coin promised to whoever found her some jay’s feathers set them scurrying off. Materials secured, she returned to the festival grounds and found herself some space to work.

When Amethyst got involved in a project , she was well and truly sucked in, barely pausing for food or sleep until she had finished. Almost three days of pinning, tucking, swearing, pleating, screaming, and sewing, and it was finally ready. Just in time. She dressed, checked herself in the mirror, then strode our looking confident in all of her three foot something height.

Using the central aisle of the spectators’ seats as her catwalk, Amethyst sashayed through the space until she reached the judges. She felt amazing.

“I am serving you Rohirric summer realness,” she declared, twirling on the spot.

“Atop my head I have my stylish cornflower-blue felt cocked hat, looking fine with beautiful jay feathers, with my lemon linen veil beneath to help keep off the sun.” She flicked the veil, then put her hands on her substantial hips.

“I am wearing a cornflower blue lightweight woollen cape, to help protect you from those sudden summer downpours. Pinned by this beautiful gold brooch, which is my own handiwork, see me afterwards for commissions.”

Amethyst unpinned the brooch and, with a dramatic flourish, cast the cape aside, smacking an unfortunate woman in the audience in the face. The dwarf did another twirl and sashayed back down the aisle. She flicked her bears braid over one shoulder to better display the top beneath, and narrated as she walked.

“This top piece I have created in dusky pink cotton, making a modified Queen Anne style neckline that flows into elbow-length silk peasant sleeves. The pleated peplum flairs over the hips, and gold binding finishes with the extra sparkle we all need.” Having reaches the far end again, she struck a pose, then pivoted and began walking back up the aisle.

“And on the bottom half, I have fashioned a split skirt from cornflower-blue linen - nice and cool and easy enough to ride in, if that’s your thing,” she said. She was counting on the judges not requiring them to model on horseback, because that wouldn’t end very well for her.

“And of course on the feet, a sturdy pair of red leather ankle books. I know you can’t see this from the back but they have the most fabulous little flowers embossed on them,” she said, flicking her feet out. “Accessories are co-ordinating gold chunky links for the belt, collar, and bracelets - all my own work, visit me at Aglarond to see more.” Amethyst did a final twirl, then strode off to join the other participants, blowing kisses and waving to the audience as she went.

Thain of The Mark
Shadowfox in support of LGBTQ+

Once again, the presentation of this strange person was cutting it fine. This time, however, it was through no intentional attempt at mystery or building anticipation, but through indecision. Shadowfox had more than sufficient materials available to enable them to complete the garment, and the instructions and limitations were not so impossibly challenging that they could surely bodge together something.

They had been surprised to make it through the first round, let alone to place in the top three, so the pressure was immense. Not the pressure to succeed of course, they had not entered this competition with any intention at the same. No; the entire purpose they were here was to represent, and now that they were through to the second round the weight of using their platform for good weighed heavily on their shoulders.

It was remembering their younger self, troubled, alone, believing themselves broken or incomplete, that resolved them to their intent. Abandoning thread, cloth and tools, they instead headed to the house-hold of the Lady Eowyn, and there begged leave to borrow something from her. The first victory of the day was that she agreed to meet them and listen, the second was that after hearing Shadowfox's reasoning, she agreed to their request and bade them good luck. Heavily burdened with a laden sack but heartened by her support, they rushed back to the tent and changed as swiftly as possible.

Once again, Gwai and Taeth were scanning the tent and preparing to move the competition on when Shadowfox stepped forward. The only reason they knew it was that person, was because they carried the mask in their hands before them, almost like a shield. Taking centre stage, they placed on the ground before them and began to speak, their voice uncharacteristically nervous but growing more confident as people listened and did not jeer.

"You asked for something comfortable and attractive. I struggled with this task, because for much of my life I have never felt comfortable or attractive in myself." The individual was wearing full cavalry regalia; leather breastplate and a full helm that masked much of the face but showed the faintest hint of a neat-shaven short beard beneath. Those that knew their history would recognise it clearly not as an outfit crafted by Shadowfox, but instead as the exact clothing of one Dernhelm who once rode out on the Pelennor fields.

"Years ago, our own Lady Eowyn struggled within herself; commanded to take up role of princess and woman, to remain behind to guard home and family while the men rode out to war seeking glory and ruin. As loyal as she might be, she knew in her heart this is not where she belonged. She risked life and dishonour to instead garb herself thus to follow her fellow Rohir into battle. To follow her heart, and seek to become that which she knew she was deep inside"

Shadowfox began slowly unbuckling the heroes' belt, the chest-plate, the vambraces, and one-by-one removed each of the garments, undressing themselves bit by bit to reveal what lay beneath.
"Rohan was more close-minded then than it is now, and today I thank her for her courage and foresight, for in her actions she made it easier for people such as myself to... well... be myself" They shook their head at themselves, in their nerves the words were failing and all skill in eloquence and flourish were being lost. "Everyone fears a cage, to be stuck with expectations and demands of them that do not fit who they are inside. Its frightening and daunting. I for one have felt caged for many years, but today I want to break out from my fear and stop hiding."

They paused a moment to brace themselves.
"Nowadays, Rohan is a different place. I see women serving the cavalry with honour and respect" they said, with a smile towards Gwai and Taeth. "I see the beautiful kaleidoscope of people's characters being presented in all its complexity and colour..." they nodded respectfully to Leylann (@Rowena Ellenweorc) and Jakiewyn (@Veowyn). "I see people of all places and histories coming together to celebrate not only the things they have in common, but also those things that make them unique" they grinned across as Amethyst (@Elarith).

"I even see people who's hearts whisper mischief and mayhem, even in the realm of those that would be their adversaries, still seeking to act true to their nature." they added, with a knowing look towards @Sil and Toast (@Burnt Toast). "I see so many wonderful people here like @Lailyn and Aelorco (@Dwarrow Elf) expressing themselves with such honesty and passion that it... it just fills my heart with hope and gratitude and joy..."

The armour was by now mostly removed, and underneath a white, long dress of Lady Eowyn was being revealed. The figure who wore it was slim, flat-chested, narrow-hipped. At last, with shaking hands, they lifted the helm off their head to reveal their face. A short, neatly trimmed beard lined their slightly-masculine jawline, but their nails, eyes and cheeks were painted with colour that accentuated their femininity also.

"Words fails me, but I think what I am trying to say is that the most attractive thing to me, is when someone is truly themselves, honestly and openly, and is accepted by those that love them. For me, the outfit that best represents Rohan and its people is whatever the person wearing it feels most comfortable in. Whatever makes you... you." A single tear tracked down their face.

They froze, shaking a little, feeling exceedingly vulnerable that after so long remaining hidden, they had now revealed their face. After only a few seconds they succumbed to their nerves, and swiftly bent to collect their mask from the floor to re-hide themselves within the fox-like appearance, like a security blanket and shield masking them from the disapproval of others. They were by now certain that they were unlikely to gain any points, their presentation had hardly been on topic or relevant, or so they thought. Indeed, they may now face elimination, or perhaps even worse, disqualification, but all the same they felt the weight in their heart lifted. They had spoken truly, they had come out at last, and now there was no going back.

Thain of The Mark
ROUND 2 IS CLOSED!

Audience, please vote for your favorite garments here!

In approximately 24 hours, the Miss/ter Meduseld Finalists will be announced, and the FINAL TASK assigned!

Reprimanding the Minion Troublemakers before Trouble Happens
Rowena shifted from her hiding place in the tent. 'Hey, Gwai, don't worry, you focus on the competition. I'll call in a Pae-- waitaminute…' She looked at Gwai for a moment and then said, 'Why are both my Paeths the judges?' She threw her hands up in the air. 'Oh well. I have a backup plan. I'm not going to let this festival be destroyed on my watch. By the way, I'm pretty sure there was more than one of them. Keep vigilant, Paeth Gwai.'
She departed the tent and scanned the crowd for Audley. She found him quick. 'Seek out Paethfindian trainee Allacan. Tell her to report to the Miss/Ter Meduseld contest on the double. Preferably discreetly. And make sure you don't come back with her… I don't want to raise suspicions.'
'I am allowed to come back though,' Audley asked.
'Yes. Just not with my snoop or it defeats the purpose.'
While Audley was gone, Rowena stood with her arms behind her back, steel eyes scanning the crowd for the suspicious characters. Okay, were these people just dumb? Maybe she wouldn't need a Paeth after all. The temptation was very strong to cause a little mischief back at them. So she stepped a little closer to the gathering of mischiefmakers, and simply said, 'Boo.'
After a moment, she stood up straight and put her hand on the hilt of her sword, and steel grey eyes darkened, and said, 'Now that I have your attention, I feel the need to remind you, any destruction of property, mischief, mayhem, and other nefarious activities, will land you in a lovely, dark, dank, locked cell. Of course, you all do look like that may be where you're most comfortable. On behalf of Rohan and it's King, as Second Marshal of the Mark, I'm ordering you to remove yourselves from the premises, and don't even think about sneaking back in. I have eyes and ears everywhere. Now SCOOT!'

NPC Rhys
When his wife appeared on the stage demonstrating her dress, his eyes felt like they were about to pop out of his sockets. He knew exactly what she was doing now, and he knew he should be jealous that others were seeing so much of her, but for Bema's sake, his brain couldn't even focus enough to be jealous. She was damn gorgeous, and the peekaboo of the tattoo--he was pretty sure he might faint. He loved that damned tattoo.
Suddenly he found himself wishing he had joined though, as an idea popped into his head about an outfit he could have designed. He snuck out of the grounds and went to their small home the still kept in Edoras and dug through some of his clothes he still kept from when he was his boys' ages. He had intended to give them up but the brats were a little ungrateful and didn't want them. So they hadn't repurposed them yet. Well now was his chance.
He pulled out a pair of his old black leather pants, and smirked. 'Perfect.' Just then his son Kendrick appeared. 'Dad! What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be supporting mama?'
'Oh, trust me, hun, I am.'
'At home?'
'I'll go back.'
'You realize she's gonna freak if she sees you missing right?'
'It'll be worth it, now shoo so I can get back to her sooner.'
'Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you when she has your head and Auntie Row joins her.'
After about an hour, he called out, 'Kend! Did you borrow my favorite jacket, you know the one I use to make your Aunt Shiv drool?'
'Uh huh… You want it?' The youth who looked way too much like him came back and just started at his almost naked father… 'Seriously? I can't let you go out like that.'
'You can and you will.'
'DAD!!!!! You're wearing nothing but leather mini tight fitting shorts!'

'And my jacket…'
'Which as usual you will leave hanging open! You're leaving very little for the imagination! And mom's gonna kill you for showing off the tattoos on your thighs!'

'She's shown her hip tattoo to the world, fair's fair kiddo.'
Kendrick threw up his hands in the air, and then just handed his dad his jacket.
Rhys then brushed his hair out, (a shocker. Usually Jakie had to sit him down and brush it for him. Granted, that was mostly because it was their moment they shared together.) and then did an intricate braid in his hair. And then he walked back to the pageant, and winked at Jakie, striking a modeling pose, that showed off his pectoral tattoos, and the wolf tattoo on one thigh, and the black cat on his other thigh.

OOC-- whited out text is sign language
Last edited by Rowena Ellenweorc on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

New Soul
The person backstage (Frost) rattled off something about Taeth asking him to check the tent. "Oh really," Gwai responded skeptically. He was fiddling with one of the tent poles, saying it was stuck, and Gwai bent to help him. It certainly didn't seem stuck. She straightened up, as he casually mentioned (too casually, in Gwai's opinion), that he was sure he seemed suspicious. He was smooth, she would give him that. And now he was swatting at a fly, but Gwai could have sworn he was signaling somebody. She glanced backwards, but didn't see anyone. "I'm sure Taeth is grateful for your help," she told him, somewhat sarcastically, and he soon made an excuse to leave, sauntering back to the competition. Gwai shook her head. Something else must be going on.

She walked back to the judge's table, the second round about to start, still concerned. Rowena soon approached the table, mentioning calling a paeth. "Of course we're both judging," Gwai said ruefully. "But I agree, there is definitely something going on. I'm pretty sure the one I just found backstage was signalling somebody else. Thank you for taking care of it, and I'll most definitely keep a lookout," she told the Marshal gratefully. Judging was stressful enough without having to worry about the tent collapsing.

The contestants soon began the fashion show. Gwai took notes as she went. Much like the first round, there was quite a variety of entries, from soot to fine gowns. Thank Bema there was less broken glass in this round. And, once more, Shadowfox's entry almost brought tears to her eyes. Gwai turned to Taeth. "I don't know how we're going to narrow this down," she said regretfully.
Third Marshal of the Mark
Meduseld Éored

Balrog
Frost, Spectating and Not Leaving

How serendipitous! His minion co-conspirator (Zôrzimril) had been able to find him in the midst of all the blonde, equine obsessed spectators. “Aye, it was a bust. The horse lovers are particularly over observant today.” He looked back toward the stage and smirked. “I don’t think even they really know themselves. I met them once in On the Rocks.” Frost looked back to his co-conspirator. “I’m Frost by the way. I don’t think we’ve had the pleasure of meeting yet. But I do love your suggestion. I don’t think it will come to that, just yet, but…” he looked around to make sure no one was paying them too much mind “I’m game for it if you are.”

As he turned back to watch Silendris on the stage, who should appear with them but Zarâm! He had never had a great chance to sit and talk with her, but he’d seen her around the Black Lands more than a few times. “Well look who it is I'm so glad you could make it! I’d say we have a nice contingent here. I agree! It’s not a party until there’s at least three fires and a few broken bones.”

Before he could conspire more, a horse lord popped up next to them, suddenly and inexplicably as though she had knowledge she shouldn’t have possessed. He whirled around, standing protectively between the person and his fellow outlanders. He looked hard at her, seeing something vaguely familiar in her overly confident eyes. AH! It was Runi. She certainly had moved up in the world. She hadn’t changed much though. He listened with barely contained boredom at her threats of imprisonment and insults. It was not until she reached the end of her speech, when she suddenly pronounced them exiled that he started paying attention again.

“No. We are not leaving. We’ve committed no crime that you can prove, we haven’t disturbed the peace, we’re here supporting our friend up on stage right now. In fact,” his voice began to grow loud, reaching above the din of the crowd around them “I would like to know why we are being singled out here amongst all these people and told to leave. We’ve done nothing wrong here. I feel like my friend and I are being unfairly profiled and threatened. Is this the way Rohan is run these day?”

His voice dropped back to barely above a whisper, a hard icy edge to it. “If you want trouble, you’ll find it. But I don’t think that something you should be looking for right now.”

Without letting the Rohir respond, Frost turned and put a hand on either one of his friends’ shoulders and began working his way through the crowd. “Come, let’s find a better spot to support our friend up there, winning this competition!”

Elven Enchanter
Zarâm - Spying, Plotting, doing Minion Things
(With Frost and Zôrzimril/Tara)

As she approached the duo, Frost turned and remarked how thrilled he was to have a growing Mordor contingent. And he agreed with her statement that it wasn't a party until there were several fires and injuries. It was nice to see Frost in a situation that was not in the midst of a pub fight. And for the first time Zarâm noticed just how pleasing his features were.

But before any more plotting or damage could occur, a rather stern looking horse lord appeared. Frost quickly whirled around and stood in front of the two females and promptly glared her down. As the human (Rowena) gave them a stern lecture in avoiding mischief and what would happen to them if it were to happen, Zarâm eyed Zôrzimril with a look that clearly said, "So mischief is on." When the lecture was over, and Frost had replied to her with a comment on how she shouldn't go looking for trouble and that they hadn't done anything wrong, he placed his hands on her and Zôrzimril's shoulders and began to guide them away from the annoying horse lord and to another part of the tent.

"How is Silendris doing so far? Has she eaten anything unsavoury yet?" inquired Zarâm as they made their way to another part of the tent, hopefully far away from the seeing eyes of the unsavory horse-lord. "I only just got here in time to watch Toasty burn to a crisp. And there are so many from Mordor! However are we to choose who to support?"

This festival was turning out to be quite the party with several representatives of the Black Land in attendance. Thali had wanted a way to leave Rohan with a bang and that was certain to happen with the number of willing co-conspirators who were currently waiting for the necessary signal to cause complete and utter chaos and destruction.

Thain of The Mark
GM Notice for ALL

While the main focus of this thread IS to be the Miss/ter Meduseld Pageant, there is a storyline playing out via RP. Everyone who wishes to participate RP-wise is welcome to, but please contact me (either on Discord - Rebekah Loper#4402 or tag me in the Golden Hall OOC thread) before doing anything more than observation or mild interaction. This storyline *is* present in more than just the Miss/ter Meduseld thread, so accidental god-modding here can really screw up the RP for several Plaza-ites in various other locations. Thank you for your cooperation.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THE POST BELOW TO GET THE TIMELINE & STORY BACK ON TRACK.

The weather was quite fair that afternoon, and Taeth was surprised at the size of the crowd that had already gathered for the second round of Miss/ter Meduseld. As she sneaked in the tent entrance, she saw all the contestants so far--past and current--and at the sight of Aelorco, Taeth bit her lip and looked around for Thalionwen. They'd parted... oddly, the other night, and Taeth hadn't seen her since. But surely... surely she would show up, if her husband was here. But Taeth didn't see her.

She managed to slip through the crowd and back up to the judge's table without catching much attention, sliding into her seat next to Gwai. She smiled at the other judge. "Thank you for your concern the other night," she said. "If I need anything, I will let you know. I'm sorry I just darted out like that."

There was no time for further conversation, though, as the first participant (Toast) stepped forward, and Taeth's hand flew up to her mouth as she muttered, "Oh my!" She tried, very much so, not to let her shoulders shake with laughter as Toast presented his burned outfit. Apparently there was some truth to their claim to be part-balrog after all. Taeth felt a little sad for him as he turned away, dejection clear in his posture. But then they paused, started... running their hands all over their body and smearing the ashes, and then turned back to the judge's table, gleefully rescinding his... sort-of withdrawal.

By the time Toast finished modeling, Taeth was biting her lip to keep from busting out into laughter.

But if she thought that Toast's outfit had been... entertaining, Silendris was a whole 'nother level. And while she was skeptical of the outfit itself, she had to give Silendris points for an entertaining and creative presentation.

But Taeth could honestly say she'd never expected to see or hear of a bum-flap. Ever.

At some point, Gwai must have stood up and left to take care of something, because she slid back into her seat just as Taeth looked up to thank Sil for their presentation. It was just a few moments later, though, when Taeth heard a raised voice over the crowd, and looked over to see Frost, two others of... dubious nature, and the... Second Marshal. Things looked... tense, and she knew that Frost had avoided Rohan for a while for good reason. While finishing up her notations for Sil's score, she kept an eye on the situation. Frost was mischievous at best, and downright inflammatory at worst, but he'd only been respectful of Taeth so far and she trusted him to not endanger anyone at her event.

What he did outside of Miss/ter Meduseld, though, was something she had no control over.

She watched as Frost led his two companions away from Marshal Rowena, breathing a sigh of relief as the issue resolved itself.

Next up was Jakiewyn, and her outfit was quite daring indeed. Not quite as... flamboyant as Sil's, and but still demurely provocative. Taeth appreciated the addition of pockets, as well.

Then there was Aelorco with a very flamboyant coat and cape and some... very interesting pants. There were also a lot of silvery horses. If Aelorco wasn't trying to impress Thalio--was she here yet anyway? Taeth wondered, take a quick peek around again--then Taeth didn't know what was going on.

Amethyst Copperpick was the fifth contestant to model her outfit, and Taeth was impressed. Every part of it was artfully crafted and well-designed, and even if the color palate was not her personal preference, it was stunning on the dwarf-woman.

For the final contestant, Shadowfox, last-minute seemed to be the trend. The crowd had fallen silent, and Taeth and Gwai were both watching the crowd, trying to spot them. After a few moments, a figure stepped out, carrying the mask that Shadowfox had donned at the beginning of the competition.

What followed was a moving presentation, and though Shadowfox technically didn't complete the criteria for the round, they still brought tears to Taeth's eyes.

"I don't know how we're going to narrow this down," Gwai spoke up as Shadowfox stepped back into the crowd.

"It'll be tough, for certain," Taeth agreed, eyeing her notes quite seriously, a crease forming across her forehead.

Reminder: There are still a few hours left to vote for your favorite participant/outfit for round 2!
Westmark Éored

Arien
Arien
Silendris Taking A Breather And Meeting Up With The Minions

Things were going absolutely, spankingly well. Silendris was firmly choosing to believe that the muffled laughter as they walked onto the stage was simply an outburst of joy inspired by the delight their outfit was bringing to everyone’s hearts. They were also particularly proud of how they had perfected their hair toss and their pirouette, although they were also secretly wondering whether bending over to give the judges a proper opportunity to examine the bum flap might’ve been a good move or not.

Performance over, they slunk over to where the rest of their compatriots were lurking around - Zaram, Zorz - whom Silendris didn’t know as well - and their old companion Frost.

“Guys, guys! We think it’s going great! We only accidentally ingested a small amount of glass this time,” Silendris announced delightedly, draping an arm around @Bïfrøst‘s shoulders. Their voice lowered to a hiss, akin to a muted vuvuzela. “So do NOT mess this up for us. No shenanigans until we’ve placed, right? Right?”

They waggled their eyebrows. This was a little alarming, as each of their personalities was trying to control each eyebrow, and made Silendris look like they were suffering from severe facial twitching.
cave anserem

Thain of The Mark
Announcing the Round Two Standings!

Currently in 1st place with 39 points, we have Amethyst Copperpick! (@Elarith)
In 2nd place with 37 points, we have Silendris! (@Sil)
In 3rd place with 33 points is Mx Shadowfox! (@Allafyrefleorhtlig)
Fourth place is taken, with 32 points, by Jakiewyn Ellenweorc (@Veowyn)
And our final contestant moving on to the third and final round, with 29 points, is Toast! (@Burnt Toast)

Unfortunately we had to eliminate a contestant in this round. Aelorco (@Dwarrow Elf) we regret that you will not be progressing to the next round. Thank you for participating, and please stay and offer advice, encouragement, or heckling to the remaining contestants!

The assignment for round three will be posted shortly!

OOC Note to Contestants: While the first two rounds have been a lot of fun and hilarity, the third and final round will be a bit more serious and... scholarly. While your RP can continue to be fun, please make sure that your final submission meets the criteria of the final round.
Westmark Éored

Thain of The Mark
Third Round
Rohirric Culture Essay Contest
Contestants, please find your essay topics below!

Jackiewyn Ellenweorc (@Veowyn)--Eomer asked “Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?” Aragorn answered both. How would you answer this question? (The Two Towers, Chapter III, The Uruk-Hai)

Mx Shadowfox (@Allafyrefleorhtlig)--Eomer attributes the victory at Helm’s Deep to Gandalf, but Gandalf disagrees, saying Eomer and the Westfold did more. Do you agree or disagree? Why? (The Two Towers, Chapter VIII, the Road to Isengard)

Silendris (@Sil)--Eowyn argues with Aragorn, "All your words are but to say: you are a woman and your part is in the house." Eowyn proves him wrong. Discuss how Eowyn combines strength with femininity. (Return of the King, Chapter I, Minas Tirith)

Toast (@Burnt Toast)--Eowyn deliberately disobeyed the King and rode to Pelennor Fields. While her success in killing the WitchKing is undisputed, discuss if she was justified in disobeying her King. (Return of the King, Chapter III, The Muster of Rohan)

Amethyst Copperpick (@Elarith)--“I will be a shieldmaiden no longer, nor vie with the great Riders, nor take joy only in the songs of slaying. I will be a healer, and love all things that grow and are not barren.” This is a drastic change for Eowyn, in a short amount of time. Discuss how you think this new outlook affects her life in ways she may not expect. (Return of the King, Chapter V, The Steward and the King)

Contestants, you have 24 hours to acknowledge the task and ask any questions.
  • Your essay (speech) should be between 200-500 words, and contain at least one cited Tolkien reference.
  • Please post your "speech" by end of 'day' July 1.
  • At that point, the judges will ask questions regarding your speech, and we will assign one or two questions from the audience as well.

The scoring criteria for this round is as follows, for a total possible score of 45 points from each judge:

Purpose Clearly Stated (0-5 pts)
Organization (0-5 pts)
Content (0-10 pts)
Conclusions are Supported (0-10 pts)
At Least 1 Reference (0-2 pts)
Grammar/Spelling (0-3 pts)
Creativity (0-5 pts)
Response to Audience Questions (0-2 pts)
Response to Judge's Questions (0-3 pts)

Audience, we will be accepting one question per contestant regarding the essay from you! If you have a question you would like the contestant to answer, please RP approaching the judge's table and giving us (Gwai & Taeth) the question. If we get more than one question per contestant, we will choose which to ask at random.
Last edited by Taethowen on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westmark Éored

Black Númenórean
Zôrzimril, Spectating and Trying Hard Not To Enjoy The Contest
With Frost and Zâram

"I'm Zôrzimril, but call me Zôr," she said as Frost introduced himself. It was always nice to unite in common purpose before exchanging names - better that way, in her experience, for it meant fewer leaks of precious information. She waved her hand at the stage, "Your friend from the pub seems like a worthy contender in this, ah, contest. And hopefully in mischief, too."

They had just agreed on causing a bit of mayhem when another unsavory looking being (Zâram) - by the look of her, a great orc - entered the tent and sidled up beside them. A suggestion of more trouble than fires? Zôrzimril liked this one already. She nodded at the orc in approval, then replied to Frost in a low hiss, "Broken bones and fire sound lovely. A beautiful day in the Riddermark, for us at least."

Her attention was diverted for a few moments by a steady parade of contestants across the stage, each showing off a garment. Zôr didn't like to admit it, but she was duly impressed by the person (Jakiewyn) who modeled a dress with pockets. Zôrzimril looked down at her own dress and wondered ruefully why none of the seamstresses in Umbar ever made dresses with pockets. Those would be so handy for the concealment of a knife or, if properly lined, dismembered body parts of reasonable size. She was even a bit moved by the Rohir who proclaimed that the most beautiful garb was that which made you feel yourself - she couldn't disagree with that. That was why she always dressed in dark silks. She reminded herself that she wasn't here to go all gooey-eyed at a pageant. Still, she clapped mildly with the crowd before returning her attention to her new troublemaker companions.

The individual with the bum-flap approached them. "Hello there," said Zôr. "Ingesting glass? Sounds like a good day. And of course not - no trouble yet. I know I'd like to see a fellow outsider victorious in whatever this contest is." She watched, amused, as a furious eyebrow waggle ensued from Silendris. It was a good day for finding new allies in the most unlikely of places, especially for someone like Zôr, who was generally predisposed to hate everyone all the time.

Before they could plot any further, a Rohir (Rowena) suddenly accosted them. Zôr folded her arms and rolled her eyes at the woman who was telling them off. With no evidence of a crime, it was unlikely this would go anywhere. She was most pleased when Frost dug in his heels and refused to be intimidated. This was the kind of companion she could respect. "We're merely here to support those who share our background," she stated plainly. "Look around you - don't you see that half your contestants come from the Land of Shadow?" With an acid look at the Rohir, she allowed Frost to steer her away.

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen, Experiencing Perhaps More Drama Than Even She Initially Planned For

It was a chastened Thali, a reformed Thali, a subdued and emotionally-restrained Thali, who reentered the pageant tent first thing in the morning, after a semi-reconciliation with Taethowen. Thali was very bad at explaining things, and wondered if weepily announcing to her best friend that she was planning to leave the country before fleeing the conversation under cover of darkness had been the truly responsible and adult way of handling...everything.

Especially when it would still be days before she could actually go anywhere.

Note to self: don't say dramatic farewells until you're just about to leave, or things get awkward, Thalionwen thought to herself, in a subdued fashion, and with great emotional restraint.

She was pleased to see a small group of minions gathered in one corner of the tent--Frost, Zaram, Zor and Silendris all looked quite cozy together. Thali had hoped that inviting her new friends to a festival with her old ones might help bridge the gap between mutually-ambivalent nations, and things seemed to be working out quite nicely! Mordorians just needed a little getting used to, to overcome their manners and general propensity for violence and betrayal, and the Rohir, to be honest, needed a little getting used to as well, though in their case it was because of the overpowering horse odors.

In keeping with her chastened, reformed, restrained persona, Thali paused on the threshold of the tent to take stock of her surroundings, rather than gleefully launching herself into conversation with the first familiar person she saw. And so it was that she heard the round two standings announced, including the truly devastating news of who had been eliminated.

"WAIT, WHAT?" Thali shouted in mature, emotionally well-adjusted disbelief as she discovered that her beloved husband, the gauze-wrapped love of her life, her pestilent paramour, had been ELIMINATED. After coming so far! And discovering such durable new pants! And looking so absolutely scrumptious in all that blue and silver! "THIS IS AN INJUSTICE THAT SHALL NOT STAND! I WILL LAY WASTE TO ALL OF EDORAS TO AVENGE MY LOVE!!! OR AT LEAST DO A LOT OF GLARING ON HIS BEHALF!"

She swept across the tent and joined Aelorco, reaching up to cup his bandage-swathed face with her hands. It was difficult, as he was significantly taller and larger than Thali, and in end she had to stand on her toes to manage it successfully.

"Look," Thalionwen said, channeling her best reformed and well-adjusted self. "Don't have a panic attack again. I thought you were splendid. Rohan very obviously doesn't know a good thing when it's got one, otherwise I wouldn't be looking to go elsewhere. We could visit some horses, if you want? Or we could have a chat with some friends--Zaram and Zor and Frost and Silendris are just over there. It's up to you. Just...don't call the Troll Preservation Society. We don't need them involved in this."
Last edited by Thalionwen Hunigfolm on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Ent Ancient
Spectating
Not one to turn down hugs from friendly faces, masked or no, Lailyn had heartily accepted Mx. Shadowfox's embrace before fading into the crowd. Having entirely missed the argument between Thalionwen and Taethowen and the minor altercation in the tent regarding the poles, Lailyn was quite unaware of any nefarious happenings occurring, or in-the-works, at the festival.

When she saw everyone's outfits, she was still more grateful that she had been eliminated, sure she could never come up with anything half as good! She laughed when Silendris pointed out their outfit's bum-flaps and raised a brow at Jakiewyn's provocative outfit. Yes, she decided, Jakiewyn was quite bold and certainly not shy. As someone who was neither of those things, Lailyn admired her. Amethyst's outfit was very practical and Lailyn was rather keen to find out if she could obtain one sized-up, and in green, for herself. Aelorco was certainly striving to be Rohirric and Toast was very clearly being themselves.

When Shadowfox took the stage, Lailyn was once again captivated. They were entirely right and Lailyn's attitude softened toward some of the foreign contestants. Maybe it didn't matter if a Rohirrim won the Mis/ter Meduseld contest. Shadowfox's final words were inspiring and moved Lailyn to tears. To be yourself was the bravest thing of all. She was still weeping when the round 2 standings were announced, but she managed to cheer and clap for each one, but for Shadowfox most of all. Inspired by their speech, she decided she could handle facing her aunt, so she stopped hiding and made her way through crowd in search of her.

Balrog
Frost, Spectating and Conversing

Zôrzimril,” He rolled the name around in his mouth, feeling his way around the sibilant buzz, “It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Zôr. That was a close call back there. I’m sadly familiar with that particular Marshal. She might be a thorn in our foot as the day goes on. But she won’t be much trouble,” he turned back to include Zarâm, “not with the three of us working together.”

The tent was stiflingly hot. The amount of bodies stuffed into a single confined space annoyed Frost. It made it harder to maneuver. If they needed to make a quick exit, or sneak around, they would have to deal with the absurd amount of people. That could be a logistical problem, but one he didn’t need to worry about right now. Once the third round began in earnest they could start spreading out and either bribe the spectators into voting and cheering for Silendris, or scare them away from the event. Either worked and it would be impossible for the blonde, horse loving prudes to prove they were doing anything wrong, no matter how many eyes they supposedly had. Frost scoffed and nudged an old man who had gotten too close out of his way. When the old man turned to see who pushed him, Frost glared and shook his head.

Silendris!” Frost smiled broadly as his old friend appeared out of nowhere draped an arm over his shoulder. “We would never dream of keeping you from placing. Dearie, we’re here to make sure you and you’re delightfully buzzy voice win the whole thing. All are hopes are with you. If you’re discriminated against well, we’ll have to respond in kind.” He grinned as their eyebrows started wiggling independently of one another. He lightly touched their forehead. “Only one of you needs to do that, otherwise both of you look silly.”

Melkor
Melkor
There was nothing but a blank surprised look on Aelorco's face as his mouth was agape at the results.

"This can't be... not right. Not fair!" Aelorco said, his teeth gritting as his exhales became more and more pronounced. His chest and shoulders went up and down as each of his inhales and exhales could be heard from a distance away. For no longer was he breathing only through his nose, he was breathing through his mouth as well.

Luckily Thalionwen arrived, standing on tippy-toes and cradling Aelorco's cheeks with her hands. His eyes, however though on Thalionwen's held a strange transfixed look, as if he was not really looking at her but looking through her to the contestants and audience.

"I," Aelorco said, as he placed his hand on his forehead as if to wipe sweat that was beginning to wet his gauze, shaking his head, "I need to say somethin'. I'll be back."

With that Aelorco, though eliminated, and while every other contestant was presumably preparing for their response to the speech, walked up in front of the judges and the audience. Naturally of course, he was at a safe enough distance away, but his voice now carried a large volume befitting of his big-boned size.

"How ya doin'?" he asked, "Now I know I'm not suppost ta be here, but I need to say somethin'.

Ya know, I always admired Eowyn, and like Eowyn, I've always felt like this... bird in a cage with my disease. Aragorn would also probably tell me my life should be in the house though maybe he shudda get his eyes if he thought I was a lady. But Eowyn proved him wrong ya see. Now I don't know exactly about femininity and all dat since I have this disease and I don't have all that many friends. But how she was able to sneak and fool everyone, including her army superiors by becoming Dernhelm and joinin' the army? Well I suppose a man would just duel Aragorn then and declare "Imma join the army." But Eowyn didn't. I think that's how she showed her feminity, combining with strength and courage.

I'm similar to her, though I suppose not really feminine. I have this disease that makes me look ghastly, like a diseased mutant beast, like an orc. But still I'm out here trying to represent all of yous. I guess I couldn't prove you wrong like Eowyn did when she killed that annoying Witch-King. But hey? The thoughts is what counts right?

Really I am not supposed to be here, since I'm takin' a risk even just talking with ya. I'm deliberately disobeyin my healer by doing this, since this disease exposes me to all sorts of diseases you all would recover from. My decision is sorta like Eowyn's when she deliberately disobeyed her king by riding to battle. Now yes I know this is a contest not a war, and I know it may seem obvious that dis was the right choice by Eowyn. She saved her king from being killed by dat Witch-King, and even killed him. But it's not obvious. Ya see, there was anothah situation where a royal heir disobeyed their king and went ta battle. His name was Faramir. No, not that Faramir. Faramir, the son of King Ondoher who was supposed to stay behind in Minas Tirith to be king in case Ondoher and all his kids died in battle against the Wainriders. Guess what Faramir did? Disguise himself and went to battle, disobeyed his king, and got himself killed. I believed this was uhhh referenced in that chapter on CIRION AND EORL AND THE FRIENDSHIP OF CONDOR AND ROHAN near the end of section one of that book that is still Unfinished (The Unfinished Tales).

Anyways, Eowyn was taking a risk that backfired on others. Ya know Gondor went through a whole succession crisis due to Faramir, sonna Ondoher's, actions right? If Eowyn died, Eomer died, and Theoden, who would lead Rohan? But Eowyn's actions of saving his king and killing the Witch-King was worth it. If I leave, I could be spreadin' disease, killing others, heck even killing myself. There's a bunch of people out there doin that, working when they're not supposed to be workin. Not stayin home, infectin and killin others. But as Master Sun of Rhun in Chapter 8 of his Art of War said, "There are [...] commands of the sovereign which must not be obeyed."

This contest of Meduseld was supposed represent the best in all of us, courage from those who we don't seek it from. So when Theoden's horse collapsed under him, his guard all slain, Eowyn had ta disobey and save him. So she was justified, just as how I'm justified in competing for this contest. The way I see it, you wouldn't praise Eowyn, if this happened now though.

We live in interestin times ya know, where I think Eomer once asked "Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?" So here I am, riskin' my life to try to walk on the same legendary path as the people I looked up to in Rohan: the likes of Eomer and Eowyn. But where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? I may be walkin on this green earth, but I can see now yer true colors and who you support. You don't support the brave people who are half-dead, and yet still trying day-by-day, night-by-night, tryin' to represent all of ya. But no, you see me as a bandaged freak, and you are shocked that my wife would ever see me as somethin' other than a future gravestone. Oh yes, "but what bout my feelings? What about our friendship?" It's not about you! It's about seeing people beyond what they look like, where they come from. Grima Wormtongue was from Rohan, and he was worse than many orcs! So as far as I'm concerned, we're living in neither legend nor green earth in Rohan. We're living in the twilight of a desert with no green earth and the legends all forgotten in the sand!

You know your appreciation reminds me of that time Gandalf said that Eomer and the Westfold did more to win the victory of Helm's Deep. Ya know who actually did most of the work? THE ENTS. THE HUORNS. As Master Sun says, "One cartload of the enemy's provisions is equivalent to twenty of one's own." Guess what would've happened if no ents and no huorns? The battle would have continued! Because those Uruks would've still had their supply lines, and their food from Isengard. They would've launched another assault, and another, until Helm's Deep were filled with the corpses of the defenders. Gandalf and Eomer were wrong, the Ents and Huorns were most responsible for the victory at Helm's Deep.

Why does this have to do with me? Am I an ent? Am I A TREE? No, but like all ents and huorns, I can sure feel unappreciated when others get credit for stuff I should be credit for! These other people are wearing some of the most ridiculous outfits I have evah seen. Can you tell me with a straight face that a rider can wear that and ride a horse 10,000 leagues around Middle Earth? Huh?! Yeah that's right. Laugh.

And so I'm going to have to be like Eowyn again. Eowyn once went to war, being a shieldmaiden, then after being in the Houses of Healing she said that "I will be a healer, and love all things that grow and are not barren." She saw the casualties of war, knew grief and thought the only way she could avenge that grief was with great skill and honor. But what she finds is that healing something like a tree is harder than simply cutting it down. So this outlook in life will teach her patience and wisdom, because instead of amputating a flesh-rotten leg, she may have to find a way to heal it. But she's only one person, and another obstacle is that if she focuses on only one person, she'll neglect others.

I see now what you think of me, and I am disgusted in all of you. I came here to represent Meduseld, thinking that Meduseld was the reason I'm here today. No, the reason why I'm here today is because of my wife, not any of you. So I'm going to have to sacrifice my time being an unnoticed great citizen of yours, so I can use that time to be with my wife. Frankly, all of you should go drown yourself in the Anduin. Your corpses deserve to be filled with maggots on the inside while your face may still look pretty in the Dead Marshes. Because you clearly don't care about me. That's fine. I don't have to care about you either."

And with that, Aelorco, stormed out of the competition, as he threw a lavalamp in the air in disgust, in which its trajectory was unfortunately aiming right at Silendris.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Amethyst Copperpick, acknowledging

Naturally Amethyst was delighted to hear that she had placed first in the fashion section of the competition. She would have been crushed to not win, especially given her disappointment with her first round effort. She smiled and waved exuberantly to the audience, even the distinctly orc-ish looking ones that she could smell from the other side of the tent. Some sort of drama had been going on with them earlier that she couldn’t keep up with but it seemed to be settling for now.

As she strutted off the stage, the dwarf heard Taeth announcing the next task. An essay? Amethyst’s heart sank. She was a designer, a crafter, someone who worked with their hands. Words weren’t really her bag. Speaking of bags... she pulled Krystalle from hers and gave the cat a heavy-handed stroking to calm her nerves, much to Krystalle’s disgust.

New Soul
Jakiewyn - Accepting the speech question

Shadowfox's performance was even more beautiful than the first! Her eyes got misty, and she felt a twinge more of shame for being so jealous of Leylann's extra attention.

Then she noticed that her husband was gone from the crowd. She pouted, her shoulders sagging a little. And she was starting to feel a bit... exposed. She started planning her escape route for when they were done judging her dress. That's when a chorus of sighs caught her attention. There he was.... WHAT WAS HE DOING?! She stared in disbelief, at first.

"RHYS, YOU OVER GROWN .... heartthrob..." Her attitude changed as the implications settled in her mind. She had his attention now, and was making sure he had hers. A smirk danced on her lips. Mmmmm, she needed to get them both out of here, quickly.

Taethowen speaking finally brought her thoughts off her husband, a little. Her eyes never left his. Something about speeches, Eomer, Aragorn, legends or green earth... "Got it. I'll come back with my entry. Later. First, i have something i need to ah... take care of..." She then bounded off the stage, grabbed her husband's face and kissed him. Then she grabbed his hand. "Come on... we have something to.... 'discuss'..."

Caddrick shook his head, and wrote down the question for her, so she could come back to it.
Maldir - you are missed

NPC Rhys
Spectator Down!

'RHYS YOU OVERGROWN--' He didn't quite catch the last word, but he was certain it wasn't appropriate for children's ears. The Ellenweorcs (And her first husband Kendrick Halwende) had rubbed off on her too much for her to be the perfect pristine Gondorian she had been raised to be. Not that she ever was. The yelling was exactly what he expected though, which only served to make his idiotic grin he already wore even worse, and he exaggerated his modeling more.
What he didn't expect though was his wife come almost barrelling at him looking like a hungry wolf (pun intended). 'Wait… you mean, you aren't going to have my head? Or is that what 'discuss' means?' He looked around as if someone could explain to him female logic. But he didn't get much help in that regard. All he knew was she had THAT look in her eye. 'Okay, okay I get it. Discuss means something not appropriate for children or public eyes,' he chuckled kissing her back. 'But unfortunately missy -- You have a speech to prepare. Me and all my glory ain't going anywhere until you win that title. And when you do, I think we may have to have my sister watch the kids a few days. Even if you don't win, I'll make her watch them.' He winked at her and pushed her back toward the stage. 'Go on, catte min.'

To the minions -- consider Rowena pissed as hell and doing -- well something productive. My mind is dying on actual logical things with school in the way lol.

New Soul
Toast, frankly, was amazed to have made it this far. He had come for a bit of fun, but this had been so much more than they had ever expected. They were amazed by the work of the other contestants, and particularly by the vulnerability of Mx. Shadowfox. They were normally full of goofs and just general mischief (as evidenced by the fact that they were still standing there, covered in soot art and in nothing else but a pair of still lightly smoking multi-colored underwear), but this next round required something a bit more serious.

He stepped forward, accepting his assignment. Then he found himself a nice patch of grass to sit in, and pulled out his paints and a small calligraphy brush to scrawl notes with. It wasn't meant for his hasty note writing, but it would have to do for now. They needed to get their thoughts out on parchment before they could put them all together. Eowyn deliberately disobeyed the King and rode to Pelennor Fields. While her success in killing the WitchKing is undisputed, discuss if she was justified in disobeying her King. (Return of the King, Chapter III, The Muster of Rohan. He scrawled his prompt at the top, and then let his eyes close to think for a moment. It was a fascinating topic; duty to one's King vs. duty to oneself, and perhaps the greater good, or an understanding of where one truly belonged.

They hoped they could do it justice.
they/he/mischief

Arien
Arien
Silendris going to accept their assignment

“Right... right,” Silendris replied vaguely to Frost. Their fingers crept up to touch their throat. Did they really sound like a bee?? Silendris had fondly imagined their voice sounded like a sweet contralto; perhaps sometimes counter-tenor, but Lendra was having trouble getting to grips with the Adam’s apple, it was true.

At any rate, it was time to go and collect their next task. Silendris’ eyes practically bulged out of their head as they scanned the neat writing. “Femininininity?” they buzzed, dolefully. “Perhaps we know what that is, but it’s so difficult to define...”

They wandered off to find some more essay paper.
cave anserem

Thain of The Mark
Mx Shadowfox, ceding the competition and leaving

CONTENT WARNING: mild references to body dysmorphia

They swallowed their nerves and focused instead on trying to find the courage to speak to the recently eliminated Aelorco. Before they had entered the competition they had vowed to make an effort to let all the contestants feel valued and appreciated whatever their positioning, but it was hard to feel like their words would be any comfort to Aelorco when their own self-confidence was a bit shaky right now.

The applause erupted as the points were handed out, and when Shadowfox's name was called one particular individual cheered just a little louder than the rest. Seeking out their face in the crowd, Shadowfox's eyes fell on the tear-streaked but completely supportive face of Lailyn. They had no idea what this lady's story was, or why exactly they had been so moved, but in that moment it didn't really matter. Shadowfox had reached someone, the way they had wanted to, and even if only one other person was emboldened by their journey of self-discovery, that was still the entire world to Shadowfox and the entire reason they had come today. Gratefully, they smiled graciously at the woman as their own tears threatened again.

Lailyn's support was exactly the motivation they needed, and throwing off their nerves they moved swiftly through the crowd to approach Aelorco with warm words and gratitude for their contribution, without a hint of hesitation towards his bandages in mutual understanding of one who might feel ostracised and alone. They were only a few feet away from the man when he strode straight past them toward the judges table with the certainty and fury of an approaching thunder-storm.

They stood. Just stood. Listening. Watching. His torrent of words, structured with the eloquence of passion and the wisdom of academic knowledge, revealed a man who not only knew his histories of Rohan, but who has also strived today to exhibit and portray those to the best of his ability. A man who was so traumatised by his past poor treatments that he immediately took his elimination to be a prejudiced manoeuvre, a man who more than ever should have been made to feel welcome, but instead had been left feeling like no-one cared for their struggles. A man who felt rightly wronged for the immediacy of judgment so many because of his bandages and strange appearance.

In later days Shadowfox would be eternally grateful that the fox mask was back in its customary position and hiding their face in that moment, but no amount of leather could hide the silent trickle of tears that began to drip silently from behind the mask, tears of a wholly different kind to those that had threatened moments ago. Their message of positivity and acceptance, so raw and shakily given, was blasted from them like fallen leaves before a hurricane. Just like that, their bubble of hope and joy and positivity was burst in the fury of his outrage. And somehow, as absurd as it might be, they felt responsible. Perhaps if they had not delayed in showing their appreciation to this competitor because of their nerves, or maybe if they had not focussed on an inappropriate testimony in a manner that others might interpret as emotional blackmail and had just completed the task given, or maybe if they had not bothered coming at all so that this person might have gone through in their place...

"...Frankly, all of you should go drown yourself in the Anduin. Your corpses deserve to be filled with maggots on the inside while your face may still look pretty in the Dead Marshes. Because you clearly don't care about me. That's fine. I don't have to care about you either."

If Aelorco had had any passive awareness of those around him as he turned and stormed out of the tent, he might have seen first hand the impact of his words. The dejected, shrunken figure stood awkwardly in a pretty white dress that failed to conform to the treacherous contours of their biological body, cheeks dripping from beneath the farcical mask that was all that now shielded them from utter humiliation. After he had left, they mustered all the courage and energy they had remaining to them, and quietly approached the judge's desk and placed on the table the unspent 6 silver coins from the first and second rounds. In a very quiet voice they declared "I'm bowing out. I have done what I came here to do; thank you for giving me the chance. And I'm sorry."

They couldn't bare to face the judge's response, or anyone else for that matter right then, and so turned swiftly away, fleeing the tent without looking back.

OOC - I'm bowing out of the competition because I know with certainty that I am unlikely to have the time to complete the next task, and I do so loathe having to play two characters in the same thread. I've had a hell of a lot of fun and honestly never expected to get this far, especially against such amazing contributions, but I'd rather bow out while I'm still going strong than mess up or stress over the next task through distraction. For the record, I want to bow out for purely selfish reasons and my poor character has kindly found a way to do that. @Dwarrow Elf: apologies for using your character's outburst as the motivation for my character leaving, but it was just too lovely a chance to not take up; hope it doesn't upset you in any way. @Elarith and @Veowyn I'm counting on you both to bring it home for Rohan! Do us proud)

Allacan, aspirant Paethfinder, receiving @Rowena Ellenweorc's summons

The last thing
Allacan had wanted on her return to Meduseld was to be accosted before she could reach the safety of her lodgings. Cloaked and hooded despite the hot weather, the rucksack over her shoulder felt heavier than its weight merited due to the dubious nature of its contents, and she had intended to go without hesitation to a place where she could safely deposit her personal effects so they would not be discovered and scrutinised. Not that she was guilty of anything, at least no more than her reputation allowed, but she didn't have the energy for questions today.

She had thought that wearing her HCMA rank clearly visible would mean that she would pass unharried through the streets of Meduseld, however it seemed the cavalry were so short of numbers recently that they had been struggling to manage the routine patrols, and completely counter to her intent the sight of a cavalry insignia only garnered her the attention she was trying so desperately to evade. High Councillor for Military Affairs or no, she was barely entering the Riddermarket when an old acquaintance the travelling cloth peddler
Nyath Parwhyn-Cinth (known by his friends as NPC) called for her attention and immediately launched into a telling of how he had been aggressively threatened by a fellow covered in yellow and white gauze and strips and relieved of his newest experimental material that had been for display purposes only, some cloth called Jenim or Deans or some other such nonsense.

Allacan listened politely, nodding to his words and assuring him that she would see that a report was made to the cavalry as soon as she reached the Dragon Room all while determinedly burying her frustration. It wasn't easy, and made exceedingly more difficult by the passing group of rowdy teenagers singing loudly some horrifically out-of-key tune about not having a Rohir flag above the door and something about Mordor calling and leaving mess, destruction and trouble behind. A watchful look in their direction perceived that it was being sung in the manner of a group imitating and making fun of another, but all the same her curiosity was peaked that they should even come to have heard such a song in the heart of the Riddermark.
"Yes, yes, I'm listening. 2 silver coins is an insult, I understand" she re-assured the man.

Bema was not with her this day however, for no sooner did she appear to be successfully extricating herself from
NPC when a small family approached, clearly seeing her interaction with the peddler and taking her to be cavalry-warrior on duty. They regaled her with the fresh tale of how their young, tear-streaked son had been violently assaulted and robbed of a toffee apple.
"A toffee apple?" she queried in forcibly neutral tones, wondering that they seemed focussed on the item of theft even as her stomach grew cold at their description of the tall, dark-haired gentleman's mistreatment of the child. The burden on her back seemed to be growing heavier by the second, and she determined to tear the cavalry rank from her cloak as soon as she was out of sight. All the same, her mind was starting to grow curious... what exactly had been going on recently?

The family seemed intent on her hearing the full story from the young boy, who frustratingly had lost all his ability to form words in nervousness, when she saw someone waving towards her eagerly from between two stalls. She didn't recognise the man immediately, but the strange urgency in his motions was enough for her to curtly excused herself from the family who, thankfully, sensed the intense professionalism in her motion and allowed her exit unhindered.

She slipped between the stalls and was about to impatiently interrogate the man when mercifully,
Audley cut over her swiftly and got straight to the point. He was brief, but his words were enough to shift her focus immediately from the contents of her bag. Frustration at the public was one thing, but if this man were to be believed then he bore a direct order from her immediate superior, and to Allacan that was as cutting as steel. She ushered him away and turned in another, less direct heading, starting out the wrong way only to then circle back towards the festival tent where the pageant competition 'Miss/ter Meduseld' was being held.

She hesitated a couple of roads over, and slipped into the porch of a derelict tavern, boarded up and quiet amid the throng of festival goers. With a half smile, she lifted the backpack from her shoulders and opened the top of the bag to appraise the contents within. Maybe Bema was with her after all...

Allacan, in disguise, arriving at the Mx Meduseld competition

A figure entered the tent, moving with the casual confidence of someone who does not necessarily know where they are going, but believes they are welcome. Dressed in slim black trews, a dark purple vest and a black, soft-leather jerkin that protects the torso and chest, her mostly bare pale arms and well defined thighs and calves display the muscles of an athlete. Matching black, leather bracers, belt and thigh-holster hold an array of sharp blades and a short-sword hangs at her left hip. She never turns her face towards the crowd, to ensure that no-one will immediately recognise her features, and all the same her eyes are black with smoky shading and mascara, and her long hair has been recently dyed black so as to distinguish her from the usually blonde-haired
Allacan. Picking up a flyer as she passes the entry desk, she pauses at the board with the results of the competition so far and eyes the names carefully, and when she gauges no-one is watching, slips out of sight behind a canvas divider and away from the gathered crowd. Her keen eyes peek through gaps in chairs and hangings, eager to spot the source of the trouble that had the Second Marshal summon her in such an unusual manner. It didn't take long for them to fall on the sight of the small gathering of Frost, Zaram, Zor and Silendris gathered on the other side of the tent, and her eyes narrowed. A moment later and she saw the Rohir Thalionwen sweep across the stage and embrace Aelerco's bandage-swathed face with her hands, the latter clearly matching the description given to her earlier by NPC but also clearly being enamoured of, and to, the esteemed Rohir lady Thalionwen. The bandaged-fellow then approached the judge's table and erupted into a loud lecture that ended aggressively, before storming from the tent, swiftly followed at least one individual. Ok, no, seriously, what had been going on!
Last edited by Allacan ob Burzum on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thain of The Mark
Taeth thought the drama would calm for a bit after the scores and final task were announced, but she was wrong.

It began, once more (as perhaps it always began) with Thalionwen. She'd seen her friend return as she made the final notations on the scores for Round 2, but at the news of Aelorco's elimination, Thali fairly flew into a rage. Again. But Taeth was relieved when, at least for now, Thali's ire did not seem to be directed at her, and she instead was comforting her... husband. It wasn't that she had an issue with Thali's husband, it was that... she still couldn't quite believe that Thali was married, for apparently the second time.

And then, from somewhere, Aelorco seemed to have found his courage. Confidence. Something. For he marched right over to the judges' table and began to berate both her and Gwai in the most ridiculously eloquent manner ever. She caught a few points here and there, enough to realize that he was touching on every single essay topic that they'd given out, but was having a hard time following some of the logic, although Aelorco apparently knew his history, and Taeth could appreciate that.

It was the ending, though, that made Taeth most irate, and it was the biggest problem she was having with the whole Thalionwen and Aelorco drama that had been going down. People kept assuming what she would think without giving her a chance to say otherwise, and it happened again as Aelorco threw the lava lamp (that was from Round 1, why did he even still have it?!) toward Silendris--fortunately, it missed by a mile--and stormed out.

Taeth reached up and rubbed her forehead. This was ridiculous. And then... then Mx. Shadowfox withdrew from the contest entirely, and Taeth's fingers moved from her forehead to her temple as she watched yet another contestant leave without giving her a chance to respond.

After a moment of stunned silence, Taeth took a deep breath and turned to Gwai. "Since we structured this for five contestants in the final round, I'll see if we can get Aelorco back." Taeth stood then, and looked around for Thalionwen. What luck, she was still standing on the stage from where Aelorco had stormed off.

"Thali!" Taeth hissed. "Can you go find your husband and tell him he needs to come back? We need five contestants and Mx. Shadowfox just withdrew."

Taeth didn't know if Thali responded. Because just then, the back of her neck began to prickle and tighten in a way a pæthfindian could never ignore. Someone was watching them, and her fingers itched to reach for the dagger at her waist, but instead she smoothed her hands down her skirt and slowly turned to look around the entire tent. Her pulse thrummed in her neck.

"Just... go get Aelorco," she said to Thali. "Let him know that he can take over the topic that was given to Mx. Shadowfox."

She didn't wait for a further response before she looked around again, this time searching out Frost. It didn't take long to spot him, and she crossed the tent to where his little entourage stood. "Excuse me a moment," she apologized to the others--was that an orc? But no mind, Taeth was fairly certain Aelorco was an orc also, and as long as they didn't start killing anything it didn't matter right now--and slipped her hand into Frost's and tugged him aside.

"Something's wrong," Taeth whispered, fidgeting. "We're being watched--and please don't say of course we are, this is different than the audience. But there's too many people and I can't figure out where they might be."

Taeth fidgeted, eyes still darting around the tent, and she reached up to rub the tingling out of the back of her neck. "I'm stuck up front pretty much, and I don't want to drag the Cavalry back in, not officially, anyway. So please just... keep an eye out? Be careful?"

She didn't realize that she was still clutching Frost's hand.

Judge's Notice

Aelorco (@Dwarrow Elf) will be taking Mx. Shadowfox's (@Allafyrefleorhtlig) vacant spot (and the same essay topic) for Round 3.
Last edited by Taethowen on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westmark Éored

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen, Spectating With Increased Enthusiasm

Well, it had certainly taken long enough, but finally things at this festival were coming up Thali! Sort of. They definitely would be once she retrieved Orco and got him back on stage.

"Taeth! Thank you!" Thalionwen gasped, throwing her arms around her friend. They'd been fighting yesterday, but just as it didn't take long for Thali to lose her temper, it didn't take her long to forget an argument either. Bygones were officially bygones.

Hurrying through the tent (it felt like that was all she ever did anymore--hurry through this Bema-forsaken tent) Thalionwen caught up to Orco just outside.

"Did you forget something?" Thali asked, raising an eyebrow. "Your wife, for instance? You didn't even give me a chance to tell you what an excellent speech that was. Who knew you had such a comprehensive knowledge of Rohirric history? And I will never question your ability to deliver an inspirational address again."

She glanced back over one shoulder at the interior of the tent, and Taeth, who was deep in conversation with Gwai over something that looked serious.

"Look," Thali told Orco. "I know you're proud and that you're still angry, but someone resigned from the contest and they want you to come back in. You'll get to make another speech if you do. And it would make Taethowen happy--she and I have been friends almost all our lives, and I made her unhappy yesterday, and I know it isn't your job to fix my messes, but will you please come? Please? Please? Don't make me wheedle."

And Thalionwen gave the bandage-wrapped orc her best, most trusting smile.
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese