Edoras Infirmary--The Beginning

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Master Torturer
Sigrid
Trial Healer

"Said what?" she grinned and gave him a wink in response to his question. Considering the matter over as she was not one to get bent out of shape over some curse words, she waited for him to finish the juice and then took the cup back. "Ok, time to clean the wound, now that you are feeling better. Can't say I have ever done this with the patient sat in a trough before though.." Chuckling softly she shook her head, still not quite used to the idea of him sitting in it in the first place. But she was definitely willing to learn new techniques and would be using this again should the need arise.

"You might not want to look this time" she said with a comforting smile, that was neither berating or ridiculing him for what had happened. Letting go of the hold she had around him, she waited for a few moments to make sure he was steady enough before she grabbed his arm gently again and continued to pour a few more cups of water over it until pretty much all the puss and blood was gone. Allowing his arm to drip dry for a moment, she pulled out the flask that Thalionwen had given her.

"Ok Èo, I am not going to lie to you, this part it going to sting like nobodies business. Feel free to cuss, but don't jerk your arm away if you can help it, ok?" She waited long enough to make sure he understood and then carefully held his wrist so that she could prevent him from pulling it back, but also in a way that did not touch the wound. "No looking, I am just going to pour some spirits on it to clean it as best we can so we can avoid it getting infected again. Take a deep breath, let it out slowly and keep doing that. Ok here it comes now.." At the word now she started pouring the spirit right on the open wound, her grip tightening in anticipation of the pain it would elicit. She made sure that she poured it over the length of both wounds before she stopped.

Horse Trainer of The Mark
He hissed out a breath as Sigrid poured a cupful of water over his arm but stared steadfastly into the leaves of the tree. It stung, which he found faintly annoying. But the queasy feeling didn’t return. After a few moments, he turned a small smile on the healer. “You’ve never done this to someone in a trough?” he repeated, slightly amused. “I’d have never guessed that,” he grinned.

Éo tensed slightly when Sigrid lifted the flask, explained that it too would sting. He licked his lips but nodded slowly. “I won’t pull away.” He braced his shoulders against the side of the trough, then took a deep breath as she started to pour.

It felt like liquid fire. His entire body tensed, trembled as his arm burned. He muttered a string of foul words, then a low sound of pain as she reached the deepest parts of the cuts. Black spots floated though his vision, faded to a hazy white as his head fell back and his body went limp.
Once a Rider, always a Rider

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Trial Healer

She felt the tug on his arm before she looked up and saw his eyes roll back in his head. "Oh drat.." she mumbled as she kept hold of his wounded arm with one hand and with the other she grabbed his chin to ensure that his face did not slip into the water. She felt bad for causing him so much pain, though given that his wound was infected as badly as it was, she had no choice.

As she did not have any smelling salts on her she was going to have to let him come around on his own. Glad that the trough was not so big that he would slide down into it if she let go of his head, she made sure it was turned from the water. Looking around she realised they did not even have any towels. Hopefully Thaliowen would bring those when she came back when he was done soaking.

Wetting her hand, she wiped his face and called out his name. "Èo! Hey! Èo!" Gently she wiped his forehead and cheeks, though not getting a response she moved her hand down to his chest and rolling her fingers closed she rubbed firmly against his sternum. "Èo! Wake up!"

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen
Lead Healer

With Ducky

Thali hid a smile as Ducky rattled off his litany of ailments, beginning with a broken heart.

"Well let's see," she said as he finished. "There's nothing much I can do for your insides besides tell you to rest here a few days, and hope they mend. But I do think they will--you don't seem on death's door yet. As for your legs, those will need some rest too. You can have this bed, and I'll be bringing some dinner around in a bit. Nothing special, just bread and soup, but that's what everyone gets. For right now, I'll put some cold cloths on your injuries, and brew you some lemon and chamomile tea. We'll change the cold dressing out every hour or two, and by tomorrow I can wrap your legs to keep the swelling down."

Reaching for a bucket of cold, fresh well water and a bundle of clean bandages, Thali did as she'd suggested, wrapping Ducky's lower legs in cold cloths to ease the pain and prevent further inflammation.

"Just stay here, you silly old thing," she warned, wrinkling her nose at him. "You fly about all over Middle Earth getting yourself into worse scrapes than I do, which is quite an achievement. Maybe this is a sign that you need a little Infirmary-based holiday. I'm off to make your tea, but just do as I say and take a nap."

Bustling off, Thali stopped halfway down the tent's center aisle, and turned back to Ducky.

"If you're good I'll bring you a surprise when I come back," she said, much as she would bribe a child. "I promise you'll like it, too."

With Gwai

Coming upon Gwai as she left Ducky, albeit with some misgivings as to his behavior if unattended, Thali gave the apprentice an overwhelmed smile at the mention of four healthy kittens.

"Oh wonderful!" she said a little breathlessly. "More cats. Just what we need--I don't suppose you want one or twelve for your own, Gwai? If you do, you can choose whichever you want from the litter you just delivered, and take them once they're weaned. Honestly you'd be doing me a favor, we're a little overrun with feline friends at present."

Looking Gwai up and down, Thali's smile grew wistful.

"You're doing so well, you know," she said. "And this next question I have for you is one no one likes to think of, but that we have to consider when helping out creatures who are dependent on us. Under what circumstances, do you think, you'd recommend that it would be for the best to help an animal pass on from this life to the next, instead of offering further assistance as a healer?"

With Sigrid and Eolath

Leaving Gwai to ponder the sad question she'd put to her, Thali filled a kettle at the well and hung it from the iron kettle-arm over the cookfire before the tent. A large pot of soup was already simmering there slowly, and Thali took a quick walk around the back of the tent, to where a large outdoor bread oven of stone and clay stood waiting. Opening its door, she peeked in at the rows of loaves she'd kneaded and tended before the sun was up. They'd baked nicely over the course of the morning, and as the heat in the oven let up, had stayed merely warm and inviting-smelling, rather than burning. The air that wafted out of the oven was hot as a desert, though, and the haelend mopped sweat from her forehead with a clean handkerchief.

Nipping into the rear of the tent, she took out a bundle of towels and a clean white nightshirt, as well as a satchel. Poor Sigrid had gone out to the fields so burdened down with healer's tools, she'd be glad of an easier way to carry them back. With all her supplies gathered, Thali walked out to the pasture where her small horses grazed. The sun, which had so nearly proved deadly to Eolath, prickled hot against the crown of her head.

"Oh dear," Thali said softly to Sigrid, at the sight of Eo slumped in the trough. "Poor lad. You've done a neat job of cleaning that wound out, though, Sigrid. I've brought out some towels and a clean nightshirt for the boy--once you've finished up tending his wound, you can help him out and find him a bed in the Infirmary--he'll need to stay with us a day or two until we're sure the infection's clearing up. If you need a hand getting him back across the field and into the tent, Alwin can help. Oh, and here's a satchel for you to carry everything back in, and also," Thalionwen dug through her pocket, "smelling salts. I'll fix up a bottle for you to carry as soon as I get a chance."

Leaving the pair behind, Thali set off for the far end of the pasture, where a copse of trees hid an expansive pond. After a moment, a chorus of loud, disgruntled quacking drifted out from behind the trees and Thali reappeared, wet to the knees and holding an indignant-looking duck beneath each arm. Nodding cheerfully to Sigrid, she headed back towards the Infirmary tent.
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Istari Steward
Ducky, a less patient patient

Ducky yawned and pretended to be very sleepy while Thali rattled off a long list of instructions. Or maybe they were a list of medicines she was going to make. Or maybe she was telling him the winning lottery number. He had no idea, he was pretending to be very sleepy so that he would have an excuse if she asked why he wasn't listening. Not that he didn't appreciate the service, of course, but all the talking without any derring-do or danger really was in danger of putting him to sleep. He hid his own smile as a thought came into his head while she was wrapping his legs and lecturing him. He had an idea.

As soon as he was sure she was gone, he slid out from under the sheets and half dropped, half fell out of bed. He stopped for a moment after he thumped to the floor, waiting to see if anyone would come running. When nobody did, he rolled under the bed, out of sight. He suppressed a giggle. He rolled back out (now that he was sure there was room, and did his best from a mostly kneeling position to remake the bed, placing his hat atop the sheets about where his head should be. Then he slid back underneath and lay as still as possible, regulating his shallow breathing so that nobody should be able to hear. When Thalionwen came back in she would get such a shock! Heehee!

Patient

Éo woke with a sharp grunt, trying to push at the pain digging into his chest. The motion reawakened the fire in his arm and he cursed yet again. He opened his bleary eyes, brows knit in pain. “Why?” he muttered crossly. Life currently was much better experienced unconscious.

He looked from Sigrid to Thali, then sighed. No point being grumpy with the ones helping him. “I don’t need salt,” he said finally as Thali departed once again. “I really don’t need the cut salted, please.” He could hear the start of a whine in his voice. The captain of the trading vessel he’d once worked on had salted a cut on his shoulder once, to clean it until they docked and a healer could tend it. He’d cried like a babe over it and really didn’t think he could bear that again. “You’re a good healer, I won’t fuss about anything you need to do if you don’t salt it.”

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Èolath
Trial Healer

She did not know why, but she felt her cheeks flush when Thalionwen stopped by just as Èo lost conciousness. She felt like she was failing a test, already finding excuses to blurt out in defense of what she was doing. But they all caught in her throat as Thalionwen merely dropped off supplies and happily left her too it, obviously trusting her judgement. It was a weird sensation to have someone trust her fully, especially as they barely knew each other. "T-Thank you.." she managed as Thalionwen walked away staring down at the bottle of smelling salts. She had never been able to afford a bottle of her own, all her spare moeny had gone elsewhere and it was not often it was needed, especially since the rub to the sternum often did the trick.

Smiling as she looked at the small flask, she started as she felt Èo stir and push her hand away from his chest, grumbling out his plea not to use salt on his wounds. "Heeey there.." she said softly. "Welcome back." She offered him a smile as she set the flask aside, wetting the wash cloth once more and wiping his face with the cool cloth. "No need to worry Èo, I won't put salt in your wounds, I promise." As she tried to reassure him the sounds of loud squawking came from the direction Thalionwen had gone and soon the woman emerged with two huge ducks under each arm. Jaw dropping she returned the nod and stared after the woman for a long moment.

"Uh.. right, where was I?" She took a moment to look back at the young man, eyeing his wounded arm. "Oh yes, your wound. No need to worry, like I said I will not be using salt, ok? But I do need to dry your wound and apply a salve to it. Is that ok with you?" She slowly pulled his arm to her, not wanting him to hurt it more should he startle and pull it away. She let the arm hang over the side of the trough to air dry, waiting a moment to ensure he did not pull it back, before reaching down and pouring some more juice. "Here, drink some more of this." Smiling she made sure he grabbed it with his unwounded hand.

Patient

“Oh, alright,” Éo murmured at Sigrid’s reassuring words. He tried to shift up a bit straighter, winced. He was about to explain when his thoughts were disrupted by the sound of squawking. He looked around, baffled, as the other healer appeared with ducks and disappeared again. Éo stared after her until he realized Sigrid was pushing another cup of juice into his hand.

Grinning shyly, he took a sip. “I won’t move,” he said slowly and glanced at his arm then at her. “But I think I won’t watch, either.” He finished the juice, shifted again. He was starting to feel a little soggy, he rarely spent much time in water. “What exactly is she doing with those ducks, do you think?”

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Èolath
Trial Healer

As soon as he took the cup of juice, she turned back to the task at hand. She took a long moment to check the wound, looking for signs of gangrene, but it all looked ok, despite the infection. Letting go of his arm again, she set about mixing the salve and carefully applied it with her finger, being wary about causing him more pain.

Still working on spreading it where it needed to go, she kept her eyes on what she was doing when she answered him with a soft chuckle. "Honestly, your guess is as good as mine! I did notice Thalionwen also provides care for animals, though they did not look sick to me. Likely dinner.." Grinning she shrugged her shoulders.

With a concentrated look she eyed her work critically, applying a few more dabs until she was satisfied. Wiping her fingers clean, she then closed up the jars before she got the gauze and the bandages out. She carefully applied both while she chastised him as she worked, though her tone was more friendly than mean. "This should have been seen to straight away. It's bad enough that it needed stitches. Afraid we are beyond the point of doing that, because of the infection, so you will have a bigger scar than if it had been stitched." Tying the knot on the bandage tightly, she went quiet as she again looked at her work, fussing with one layer before she was happy.

Finally looking up at him, still holding his arm carefully, she gave him a smile. "Ok, time to get you out of there before you get even more wrinkled. Grinning she quirked her head questioningly. "Do you think you can stand and get out, or should I call over that Alwin guy? For now all I need you to do is get out and sit on the edge."

Patient

Frowning at the thought of roasted duck, he hissed a little at the gentle salve then relaxed as the pain receded. He wasn’t normally so sensitive to seeing his dinner alive and well, but butchering had always been his least favorite chore on his parent’s farm. He’d been mocked for it many times, but he’d never accustomed himself to it. He preferred, when possible, to buy or trade for meat instead of hunting and butchering himself.

Finally, he looked at the neat bandage, then up at Sigrid. “I can get up,” he said automatically and started to hoist himself out of the water. When his head spun, he shifted stubbornly until he was sitting barely on the edge and prayed that he wouldn’t embarrass himself further by falling over. “I did get it looked at,” he said then, a hint of mischief in his voice. “You just did.”

Éo grinned at her, then shifted more firmly onto the edge of the trough. His trousers stuck to his legs, and he frowned. They would take forever to dry. “But I don’t care much about scars,” he said after a moment. “I tried to fix it up a bit, but I had work that couldn’t wait. If we’d waited any longer to finishing the haying, my sister wouldn’t have enough for the winter. And the roots needed storing, so I had to finish digging the cellar. But it’s fine now,” he studied the bandage again. “Thank you.”

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Èo
Trial Healer

At his insistant "I can get up" she raised her hands in surrender. Far be it for her to mother him, though that did not mean that she was not ready to step in should he feel faint. Of course she noticed that he felt faint the moment that he rose, his eyes glazing over slightly and his sunburnt skin paling as a telltale sign. But she left him to it as he had not fallen completely, though her hand had extended to help if needed. She relaxed somewhat when he was perched on the side, giving him time to let the dizzy spell fade, though her eyes narrowed at his response. "Oh har har, smart alec" she chided him.

As Èo looked down at himself and frowned, she too looked at him and saw the new problem. She hadn't even noticed that he was sat in his pants and had to wonder why Thalionwen chose to do that as now they were going to be almost impossible to get off with one hand. As he chattered on about why he had not tended better to the wound, she only listened with half an ear as she turned to look for Alwin. Finally she eyed him coming out of the barn and with a wave she called him over.

Before the man got there, she shook her head at him. "I will talk to you later about the severity of your wounds, but first of all, I need you dry. The last thing I want now, is for you to catch a cold. "Ooh nonono, no arguing with me." She even waved a finger at him, though the severity of her tone was offset by the soft look of concern in her blue eyes.

As Alwin reached the pair, she gave him a smile. "Could I impose on you once more? This young man is NOT allowed to use his wounded arm and we have a situation here." She said as she pointed to the wet pants that were clinging tightly to the young man's legs. Alwin gave the man an apologetic smile, knowing there was no way either of them would get out of this unscathed and waited for Sigrid to open up a large towel and standing in front, she turned her head and closed her eyes to give him some privacy. "All of it.." She added. "There is a nightshirt right there on the ground you can put on.

Patient

Éo sat surprised as Sigrid called Alwin back over, muttered “I’m dry enough,” even as she shook her finger at him. That motion made him grin until she unfolded the large cloth and pointed at his trousers. He looked from her to Alwin and back to her.

“You want me to get undressed?” His voice broke, squeaked. “Out here?! In front of you?!” Alwin’s amused chuckle did not help in the least, and Éo scowled at him. “It’s not funny! I can’t get naked in front of a girl!”

“She’s got her eyes closed, lad,” the man said gently. “And she’s a healer,” and a woman, he thought but didn’t say that part aloud, “not a girl. Come on, up you get.”

Ép gripped the ties to his trousers tightly in his hand, but Alwin was implacable and unphased by the mutiny on Éo’s face. “The sooner you let me help, the sooner we can forget about this.”

Éo cursed, muttered an apology at Sigrid then said snappishly “I can do it myself.” And fumbled the ties open. Wiggling and snarling only got him tangled up and with ease of long experience of helping healers, Alwin stepped in and stripped the soggy garments from the young rider. Éo muttered something under his breath and reached hastily for the shirt. “A nightshirt,” he grumbled, fighting into it with poor grace. “I haven’t worn a nightshirt since I was in short breeches.”

His head popped out and he realized how his words might sound. Flushing bright red, he tugged the shirt down and Alwin helped him get his arm into the sleeve. “I mean… I sleep in my brais,” he mumbled. “I couldn’t afford extra sleeping clothes. I didn’t mean that I sleep na…” was it possible to get any redder? He ducked his head, mumbled under his breath again and tugged at his wet socks.

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Èo
Trial Healer

Slowly as Èo started freaking out she raised the towel up so that it covered her face. It was just too hard to both stifle a laugh AND not look like you were doing just that. Truth be told she did feel sorry for him, however she just could not have him crawling into a bed with wet pants and wet underwear and socks. Again she shook her head that those were not removed immediately. But bless the Valar it was all she could do not to laugh as she heard him struggling with Alwin. She did not even trust her voice to not waver with laughter and remained quiet instead and let them get on with it.

As soon as Èo pulled off the last sock, Alwin softly let her know they were done and taking a deep breath she made sure any sign of a grin was gone from her face before she lowered the towel, letting the fact go that he had not dried off before pulling the nightshirt on. Oh well, at least he wasn't as wet now. Leaving Èo to seethe, she handed him the towel to hold before she bent down and gathered up his wet clothes and wrung them out one by one before hanging them on the nearby fence. "They should be dry in no time in this heat." She said with a smile and gave Alwin a wink when Èo was not looking.

"I am sure Èo can walk back to the tent on his own, but would you mind accompanying us? I seem to have gathered quite a lot here." Again she bent down and quickly stacked everything in the satchel that fit and handed it to Alwin who had merely nodded his assent, understanding the real reason she needed him to come along. "Ok, ready to go I think, let's head back and see what's for dinner, whether it is those ducks or not.." Stepping back to allow Èo to walk on his own, she extended a hand in the direction of the tent.

Patient

Even knowing it was foolish, Éo felt his face grow hot as Sigrid competently wrung his clothes and hung them over a line. They were threadbare and worn and not something he wanted anyone to see, let alone handle. Especially a girl, he thought crossly, who had him standing in a field in something that resembled a short dress. When that particular image crossed his mind, he snickered and looked down at the rather pale legs sticking out of the bottom of the nightshirt. So much for an ego, he decided and let his shoulders relax. The cloth was soft against his sunburn, but it still itched slightly and he scratched at the seam.

“I hope it’s not,” he said mildly, referring to the ducks. He took a few hesitant steps, trying to find soft patches of grass and bare soil for his feet. He hadn’t walked barefoot since his last voyage down the Anduin and that had been nearly a year ago. And that was on the deck of a river boat, not the ground of an old farmyard. “It’s weak, I know, but I really prefer not knowing my dinner before they are dinner.” A few more steps and he swayed slighty, then gritted his teeth.

This was ridiculous. Through sheer stubbornness he kept his feet moving, barely noticed when Alwin took his elbow. It was a couple cuts – deep cuts that had gotten badly infected, but he was ignoring that fact – and a little sun. He’d never make a satisfactory rider if this was all it took to weaken him. The sudden appearance of shade overhead made him look up; they’d reached the tent. Éo pulled to a stop, looked at Sigrid.

“Do I need to wash my hands again?” He asked, remembering the sign he’d seen earlier. “And I really need to see to my horse. He’s still saddled and everything, and probably hungry. I have his measure of grain in the saddlebag, and the last of the bread and cheese my sister sent with me. I could get that for dinner, you don’t have to feed me. Oh, look. My boots!”

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Èo
Trial Healer

Sigrid saw Èo's hand scratch at his neck, realising that she had not put any salve on it. 'Geez how dumb can you be' she chastised herself, hoping she could get it done before Thalionwen saw. She doubted the woman would hold it against her, but it was just so important to her to show she could do it right and that no one had to check her work to make sure all got done. Lost in her own thoughts, she merely answered with a "Mmm.." to the speculation whether the ducks were going to be dinner or not.

She was relieved that she had had Alwin walk with them when she saw just how Èo staggered back to the tent, giving him a smile as he took the young man's elbow without being asked. She could tell he was used to dealing with patients and quarrelsome ones too, the thought of the small 'fight' behind the towel making her choke a chuckle back. Bless the young men and their ego's. Suddenly her eyes went wide and she realised that she had wrung out his clothes, including his underwear. Not something she even gave a second thought, but just then it occured to her that it might have made him embarassed. 'Shoot.. should of had Alwin do it..' she grumbled under her breath, though her eyes were sparkling brightly with the mirth that was threatning to burst out.

Luckily they made it to the tent and Alwin and she share a look as Èo worried about his horse, the man giving a slight nod to indicate that he would of course see to it. "No, I think you are about as clean as they come right now, so you just head on over to that bed you were in before. Alwin here will see to your horse and make sure he is fed and brushed down." She let Alwin lead Èo all the way to the bed and help him into it as she took the satchel back. "Yes, your boots, you won't need them just yet though.."

Before she followed the two inside, she took the kettle of hot water that was by the fire, hoping it was not going to be used by someone else and followed them in. Though instead of going to Èo's bed she made her way to the back where she poured some into a bowl and dropped some chamomile in to steep, before refilling the kettle from a jug of water and putting the kettle back on the fire. She let the bowl sit on the counter to cool, planning on using it to soothe his sunburnt back.

"Thank you for your help Alwin.." she smiled at the man as he nodded and left the tent, turning to Èo to make sure he was tucked into the bed.

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen
Lead Healer

With Ducky

Struggling to keep her large and rather irritable ducks under control, Thali reentered the tent only to find Ducky's bed conspicuously empty.

"Well, where in Bema's fields can the old thing have got to?" she muttered to the pair of waterfowl tucked securely under her arms. "He was just here, and I told him not to leave! Oh well, he can't have got far, not with his legs in that condition."

"Everyone," she said, raising her voice slightly so that the tent's occupants could hear her. "I'm going to shout, this is your warning so it doesn't alarm you. DUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUCKY YOU FOOLISH, POINTY-HATTED TROUBLEMAKER! WHERE HAVE YOU GONE?"

With a riotous quacking, the ducks broke free of her arms and vanished under the bed in a flurry of feathers. At the sound of a suspicious snicker emanating from beneath the cot, Thali rolled her eyes.

"Knew he couldn't have gone far," she said to herself. "Ducks, behave yourselves. All three of you. I've got other things to look after, and it'll be suppertime before you know it."

Outside the Tent, with Sigrid, Eolath, and Alwin

Shaking her head, Thali exited the tent and went to her cookfire, where warm and inviting smells were emanating from the enormous pot over the fire. Giving it a stir, Thalionwen tasted the vegetable soup and smiled. Just right.

"Well now, you look much better, don't you!" she called in to Eolath, who was being settled in by the wonderfully competent Sigrid. Thali nodded her approval as Sigrid deftly deflected the boy's fussing over his boots and horse, and dispatched Alwin to tend the latter. Just as she would have done--Sigrid made a perfect addition to the Infirmary.

"You, lad, are to do nothing but get settled onto a cot, like Sigrid's told you," Thali said, raising her voice to be heard and glancing back at the open tent flap, through which she could see her young charges. "You'll have to stay the night--I want to keep an eye on you, and don't trust you for a moment not to go back out in the sun and undo all of my girl's fine work."

Thali nodded proudly to Sigrid. "You've done exceptionally well today, healer. Once you've found a place for Eo, why not come find me and I'll show you to your own accommodations? After you've seen where you staying, you can bring your young charge his supper."

Turning and fixing Eolath with a sharp look, Thali shook a finger at him. "And then after supper, you and I, my friend, are going to have a chat. About the Cavalry and new members and the fact that you're expected not only look after the people of the Mark, but yourself as well. A soldier who doesn't tend their own health first ends up useless in the end."

Resuming her fussing over the soup with a sigh, Thali opened a nearby chest and pulled out a number of trays and wooden bowls and spoons. Leaving Sigrid and Eo to their own devices, she began dishing out her patients' evening meal.
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Patient

Éo didn’t complain much as he was steered back to the cot he had sat on before, relaxing a bit more as Alwin agreed to see to the bay horse. He felt a bit guilty about agreeing so easily to allowing another to care for his horse, but he didn’t want to admit how shaky his legs still felt and the relief that his horse would still be cared for. Instead, he sat with a sigh. Shifting a bit, he turned as he heard Thali’s voice calling his name.

With a start, he glanced around for Sigrid then turned towards Thali to catch all her words. “Stay the night-“ he started to protest, but she didn’t pause as she spoke to Sigrid and he fretted. He couldn’t stay the night, he had to report in. He’d gotten special permission to help his sister with the haying before he’d finished his initial training, he couldn’t repay that kindness by being late. Sigrid had said his clothes would be dry soon, maybe if he stayed quiet and rested until then the healers would relent and…

He froze, even his thoughts going blank as Thali pinned him with a sharp look. The ‘chat’ didn’t sound much like a conversation. He figured it would resemble the time his mother ‘explained’ why horses were not allowed in his bedroom. Just the idea of that particular conversation being repeated had him squirming. He’d tended his arm, he wanted to mutter, and he’d stopped here, hadn’t he?

Éo shifted on the cot, stared down at his boots as silence briefly fell. He’d gotten a bit dizzy when he was walking, but he felt better now than when he’d first arrived. Chewing his lip, he glanced at the door, then around at Sigrid and Thali and back to his boots. “Not enough time,” he muttered. By the time he could get his boots on, either of the healers would notice the flurry of movement. And he’d have to get to his trousers at least, he couldn’t ride in nothing but this nightshirt. And Alwin probably already had the bay unsaddled…

Éo sighed miserably. Pulling his feet up to the edge of the bed, he wrapped his arms around his shins and rested his chin on his knee. He really couldn’t go anywhere without his pants. Maybe if he was just very quiet, that little chat would get forgotten.

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Èo
Trial Healer

She had walked to the back of the tent as soon as Èo was in the bed. Taking a spoon she stirred the chamomile that had been steeping in the bowl, her thoughts wandering off for a moment as she watched the leaves swirl. She was going to have her very own place of her own. A small smile spread across her lips, trying not to get too excited. Thalionwen had said that it was a small hut afterall. But she didn't care. A small hut was still a mansion in her eyes when she had spent so long sleeping in the rough and countless seedy inns.

Clearing her throat softly, she snapped herself out of the reverie and took a moment to scoop out the leaves, putting them in a saucer in case they could be used for something else. Waste not, want not and all that she thought to herself with a grin, recalling the words her grandmother always used to say with a fond, yet sad smile. Eyeing the shelves, her stomach fluttered again at seeing how well stocked it was, lifting her hand to run her fingers over some of the labels and to straighten others. 'One day I will have my own shop and have dark wooden shelves filled with all kinds of salves and lotions to sell, in pretty little jars. Her cheeks flushed slightly at the indulgent wish, knowing it could not happen until she had found the children and she had saved up enough to buy a store.

With a sigh she grabbed a new washcloth and took the bowl, heading back to where Èo was. Passing an empty bed she heard some quacks coming from under it and almost stopped, though decided it was best to leave it in case that was where Thalionwen stored the ducks for dinner.

"Hey.. was with the gloomy face.." she asked softly as she saw the expression on his face. Setting the bowl on the nightstand, she dunked the washcloth into the chamomile water and soaked the washcloth, wringing it gently and leaving some of the water in, she turned back towards him. "Just going to put this on your burn.." Reaching out, she drew the neckline of the nightshirt down and placed the cool wet cloth over his neck. Giving him a concerned look, she took a seat on the bed next to him. "Don't worry about your horse, if that is what you are concerned about. I am positive Alwin will take really good care of him." Biting the inside of her lower lip, she added "Would you like some dinner? I think it's soup and not duck.. if that helps.."

Éo looked up at the sound of Sigrid’s voice, watching curiously as she wrung out a cloth. “Thali said she’s going to have a “chat” with me after supper. That means I’m in trouble.” His voice was glum. He shifted a little as she moved the neck of the nightshirt, then let out a surprised sound as the cool cloth was laid on his sunburn.

“That…feels good,” he said after a moment. He had no idea that a sunburn could be eased. He was used to them – though his usual spring burns were not normally as severe as his current one. “I thought that sunburns just had to heal on their own,” he continued, then tried to replace his grumpy countenance with a smile. “I'm not too worried about my horse, Alwin seems a decent enough fellow.” Even if he had undressed him in front of a girl. “And that horse is quite capable of telling anyone if he’s unhappy about anything.”

He trailed off, staring pensively at the door of the tent where Thali had disappeared doing something. Supper, he thought, even as his stomach rumbled loudly. If he didn’t eat supper, there couldn’t be an after supper chat. Now that was an idea. He tipped his head to one side, giving Sigrid a lopsided smile.

“I’m not really that hungry,” not exactly a lie. He had been hungrier before. “I ate earlier, and I don’t want to make extra work for you.”

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Èo
Trial Healer

If she thought it was hard to keep from laughing when he fussed about getting undressed, then she quickly learned just how wrong she was. Her whole face ached, actually ached from the chuckle being stifled and she had to busy herself dunking the washcloth back in to cool it again and putting it back on his neck so that he could not see the weird look that distorted her face as she struggled not to laugh. No, no he was right, Thalionwen could be quite imposing. Yes, very imposing, especially with two ducks under her arms.

She lost the battle spectacularly, first snorting and then the sound of the snort causing her to chuckle and then there was no going back as she let go and laughed. "I'm sorry! I'm s-sorry! It's not you, I swear!" Dropping back down on the bed, she fought to stymie the laugh, wanting to desperately stop it before it became a laughing fit. Coughing to to clear her throat, she wiped her eyes and shook her head, drawing in a deep breath, her voice strained when she spoke. "Sorry. I don't mean to offend, I am really sorry."

Coughing once more to clear the strain from her voice she smoothed her skirt, looking down at her hands in an attempt to regain control of herself. With another deep breath she was able to look back up at him. "Ok, how about this then. How about we have that chat, as I know what she will say, while you eat your dinner and I will let Thalionwen know we already spoke and she won't need to? Besides I an keep her busy showing me where I will be staying and you can conveniently fall asleep as I am sure you are shattered. Deal?" Grinning she extended her hand to seal the deal.

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen
Lead Healer

Interrupting the plotters, Sigrid and Eo

"I have soup and fresh bread. For both of you," Thali said firmly, appearing behind Sigrid and Eolath as they conspired against her. She said nothing about it, only set a tray containing two bowls of steaming vegetable soup and two thick slices of bread and butter down on Eolath's lap. Then she herself pulled out a folding camp stool and settled down at the side of the bed.

"I'm going to give you your scolding and there's no being saved from it, young man, not even by someone as capable as Sigrid," Thali warned with a smile. "But there's a bit of it meant for her as well, so she can stay, and the two of you can hear it out together. The first part is only for you, though, Eo, and it's this--I know you've recently joined the Cavalry. Now, I've been in and out of the ranks since I was just your age, and it's my job as a Cavalry member and as a haelend, to tell you've been remiss in your duties."

She paused to let her words sink in, and then carried on seriously, leaning forward and resting her elbows on her knees. "Part of what is required of you as a Cavalry member is that you not just look out for the well-being of others, you look out for yourself as well. You're no good to king and country if you've run yourself into the ground when you might have taken a break, or a bit more care, and stayed in fine health. Every member of the ranks is important, and we need them all in good shape whenever possible. So look after yourself better in future, my lad. It's expected of you, not just by me, but by your superior officers and by the Marshals, and even by the king himself."

Thali reached out and patted Eo's hand. "I don't say this to make you feel badly. I say it because I want to see you healthy and well--and making eyes at Sigrid when you think she's not looking--for a long time. And as for both of you, remember this--we've known troubles in this part of the world. You lived through more as children than many generations did in all their days. But the very worst of our troubles are over now, and we've got to help each other out if we expect to build better lives than the ones we led before. If either of you need anything--anything, mind, at any point--you come and tell me. And I don't just mean while you're at the Infirmary. Eo, if your family needs help with the harvesting, I can find people to help with the work. Sigrid, if you're a little out of pocket--don't deny it, I know the look, I've been penniless more than once before--I can advance some of your pay. And that's not all. Whatever comes up, whatever troubles arise in your lives, you're not alone in them. You can always turn to me, and I'm sure there are plenty of others in Edoras and the rest of the Mark who'd be happy to lend a hand."

Fishing in her apron pocket, Thali pulled out a paper-wrapped packet of toffees.

"There," she said, handing it to Sigrid. "That's for the two of you to share. And honestly, my lecturing's not so bad in the end, is it? Sigrid, I've got a few more meals to hand out, but once you've eaten, come find me and I'll show you your quarters."

Getting to her feet, she hurried briskly back down the aisle and out to the cookfire once more.

With Ducky

Though there was still no sign of her wizardly charge, Thali could hear duck-like sounds coming from beneath the bed. Setting a tray down atop it, she addressed the empty cot.

"I've put out some soup, and a whole extra loaf of bread, in case someone wants to share dinner with their feathered friends. I hope it suits--it's leek and turnip, and I've left a little bit of fresh goat's cheese, too, to remind you of our glory days."
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Istari Steward
Ducky, a patient in distress

The wizard had barely been able to stifle his giggles when he heard Thalionwen return. She hadn't found him! Teehee! She was totally fooled. But did you hear that? Actual ducks! She really knew the way to cheer up a poor wizard who was trying not to cackle. But she wasn't going to fool him into revealing his hiding place too soon. He waited until she departed, and for real.

Once he heard her leave, Ducky began to roll back out from under the bed, eager for some time with his feathered friends. There was just one problem. He couldn't get back out. He had tried to reverse his roll, but one of his legs, wrapped up thicker than usual, had been caught in a floorboard. Or something. Ducky couldn't actually see what was wrong, but he could tell his leg was blocked by something, and no matter how he tugged, he couldn't extricate himself. His grunts and squeaks notwithstanding, he was trapped under the bed.

Then he heard Thali's voice again, which drew his mind back to the room. Suddenly it wasn't funny anymore, it was embarrassing and a little scary.

"Please, help, I'm trapped!" he squealed, hoping she wouldn't leave too fast to hear him call. He could always send the ducks after, he supposed, if worse came to worst.

Patient

Éo looked worried, then mildly insulted as Sigrid first snorted then started laughing. Her clear amusement drew a reluctant smile from him then a chuckle as she sat beside him, unable to stop the laughter. “It’s alright,” he managed, grinning. He knew he’d sounded like a sullen child, and part of him was pleased at her reaction to him whining.

“You’d do that? After all, you already told-“ his words, and hopes were cut short as Thali returned, setting a bowl in his lap. He sniffed at it suspiciously, but the rich savoury scent was tantalizing and made his mouth water. He wondered if eating while she delivered her lecture would be rude, and he glanced from the bowl to Thali, then to Sigrid. When neither woman made a move, he took a hesitant bite. It was better than he expected, and thankfully did not taste of duck.

He ate a couple bites, then froze as her words cut. Remiss in his duties. He set the spoon down, appetite gone. Staring down at the ground, he felt his shoulders slump a little and nodded miserably, murmuring a quiet “yes, ma’am” when Thali paused. He wondered if this would get reported to the marshal – who already thought him only barely competent.

With that worry, he startled slightly when Thali reached out to pat his hand. He glanced up hesitantly, but her next words had him goggling in surprise. Making eyes? He stared, mouth open slightly as the rest of her words rushed over him, barely recognized. He hadn’t made eyes at the healer. His brows drew together. He didn’t even know how to make eyes!

He continued to stare, nodded slightly as the tone of her words seemed to indicate he needed to agree with what she said. As she stood and walked away, he turned his head to Sigrid. “What did she mean? About…” he waved his hand in confusion, nearly knocked his bowl of cooling soup off his lap. He caught it, shifted it so it was better balanced and braced his bandaged arm against it. Looked down at the bread and back up at the retreating back of the healer, then at the package in Sigrid’s hands. “And what’s that?”

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Èo
Trial Healer

Sigrid let out a gasp as she suddenly heard Thalionwen's voice right behind her, quickly turning to look. Seeing the woman right there, likely having heard her every word, her face went a bright red and she desperately wished the ground would open up and swallow her whole. Utterly mortified, she looked down at her hands as Thalionwen chided them both, feeling like she was ten again and having broken a window. However this time it was coupled with the fact that she could lose her job, lose that little hut she was so desperate to decorate as her own.

Even though she was not looking at Èo she could feel that he was feeling as bad as she was, though of course for completely different reasons and she did for a brief moment think that she would likely not have said what Thalionwen had said afterall as she had never been in the Cavalry or known anyone well enough who had. It hadn't even occured to her that he might be in derelict of duty by not seeing to his wounds as all she worried about was his health and of course his life.

However she was unprepared for it to become even more mortifying as Thalionwen brooched the subject of her lack of funds, dying a little inside that it had been evident enough that the woman could have seen it after only knowing her for a couple of hours. She was a fiercely proud young woman and she never ever asked for anything, she worked hard and made sure she got things done all by herself, so the very idea of just asking for help or for money was completely out of the question, it would never even occur to her to do so. While it rankled her, pride bristling, there was a small part of her that glowed warmly, just a spark that was sure to grow bigger once she had a moment to actually think about what it was that Thalionwen was offering and where she was coming from.

Still embarrassed, she merely nodded in response to Thalionwen's departure and request to come find her after they had eaten, her eyes looking at the small packet as she flipped it slowly in her hands, her thoughts all over the place. At Èo's question she looked up reluctantly, her face still flushed from embarrassment, brows furrowing at his question as she failed to follow what he was referring to. However almost spilling his soup made her gasp, reaching out to help him though he seemed to manage before she could assist.

"Careful.." she smiled at him, giving him an apologetic look for having gotten him into trouble. "Hmm.. I don't know actually.." Making sure he was balancing the food ok on his own, she opened the small package, lifting it up to her nose to smell it. Again her face flushed and then she made a choked snorting sound before she started laughing again. She laughed until tears fell, feeling the laughter releasing some of the tension she was feeling and in between gasped chuckles she managed to say. "Toffee! She gave us toffee!"

Patient

Éo looked slightly relieved as Sigrid sniffed the package and began to chuckle again. It couldn’t all be bad if she was still amused. He’d be more careful in the future, especially since he now understood somewhat why his comrades spoke of the haelends in hushed whispers. They were intense and even the marshals obeyed them. So, he’d be much more careful at not needing them.

“Toffee?” The word had him focusing on Sigrid again, brows knitting. “She gave us sweets?” He’d had toffee once as a small boy at the village fair. He’d saved up enough small coins over the summer to buy enough sweets to make himself sick, and distinctly remembered the sticky, buttery confection. He shifted closer to peer at the wrapped treat. He’d never been yelled at and then given a reward. Haelends were confusing.

Éo glanced at Sigrid again, then scooped up a bit of his soup. “You’re getting new quarters? You don’t have to stay with me if you need to go.” He frowned slightly, baffled by the odd sense of loneliness at the idea of her leaving. “I don’t want to keep you from your work, and I…I won’t leave until I'm given permission.” He chewed his lip at that. “But I do need to send a message to Edoras, to notify the eored.”

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Éo
Trial Healer

Had she ever had toffee? Surely she must have as she knew what it smelled like, but she could not recall trying it. Still not fully believing that she had been given sweets like she and Éo were children, she set the toffee on the tray that was on his lap still. "Yep, she gave us sweets, go figure.." She couldn't help it, she chuckled again, though this time more softly. While she found it funny, it also made her feel slightly better, a warm feeling spreading in her chest. It was so nice to talk to people and made to feel like you belonged and it was just her first day! She still couldn't quite believe her luck.

Seeing the food for her, she carefully took her bowl making sure it didn't unbalance the tray and grabbed some of the bread. Dipping it in, she took a bite noticing that it had gone a bit cold. But she didn't mind, it was better than the dried meat and hard bread she had been eating the past couple of days and this bread was so soft and fluffy she almost gasped as she chewed it.

"What?" she mumbled with her mouth full. As she swallowed the bite, he was already chattering on and she finally caught up with what he was saying, her mind barely able to keep up with all the questions asked and all his statements. "I am in no hurry, need to eat my food afterall. But after I will need to see to my horse and yes be shown my accomodations. I just arrived today." She withheld that she just got hired today, she did not want him worrying that she was not capable. Some people seemed to get funny when she shared that, like it made a difference, like she hadn't been working as a healer for the last many years.

She took another bite of bread dipped in the soup and chewed it thoughtfully for a moment before she added "I will ask Thalionwen about getting word to your eored, when she shows me my new quarters. I am sure she can make that happen. She said she was in the Cavalry so she will know how important that is." Nodding towards his food she encouraged him to finish his. "No need to worry, ok? We will make sure they are told." Smiling she returned to her own food, filling her stomach for the first time in weeks.

"That was good, a little cold, but good." She gave him a grin and stood. Setting the plate on the side table, she took a look at his sunburn as she carefully took the wash cloth off. Dunking it in the bowl she made it wet again before replacing it. "Leave that on until it doesn't feel cool anymore. You can do what I just did or just take it off if you want to sleep. I will come back once Thalionwen has showed me around and Dash is taken care of. Just grab anyone you see if you start feeling unwell again, ok?" She gave him a stern stare for emphasis. "You can have the toffee.." She gave him a grin and picked up the bowl, heading out to where Thalionwen was.

Patient

Éo nodded as Sigrid rewet and placed the cloth again, scraping up the last of his soup. Just arrived, he thought to himself. She acted like she’d always done this sort of thing. Maybe she’d been on a holiday, taking some time off. Yes, that must be it. He smiled up at her as she gathered up the tray, leaving the toffee.

“I won’t feel bad again,” he said softly, watching as she headed off to finish her work. He carefully unwrapped one of the toffees, worked off a small piece to savor. He tucked the rest under the pillow; he’d save it to share with her when she returned. The treat was delicious. He smiled, content. Then yawned suddenly. “I suppose a rest won’t hurt,” he said to no one in particular. Stretching out carefully, he shifted until the light blanket covered his legs and hips then pressed his face into the pillow. He moved his injured arm over his head, let his right dangle onto the floor. He’d always preferred to sleep on his belly, much to the amusement of his sisters. On that thought he drifted into a much deeper sleep than the nap he had intended.

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen
Lead Healer

Thalionwen stood at an outdoor washbasin cleaning the evening's dishes, but as Sigrid appeared from within the tent, she smiled and dried her hands on her apron. The sun was low on the horizon, already half-set, and the air had grown dim and golden.

"You've done a good day's work, Sigrid," Thali said approvingly. "Why not just follow me and I'll show you where you can stay?"

Leading the healer down a narrow dirt path that skirted the pasture, Thali stopped before a small hut that stood near the banks of the pond. A thin spiral of smoke curled up from its chimney--Alwin had been busy, going about and ensuring everyone would be comfortable come nightfall. Already the air was cooler, and it would only grow more so before morning.

Swinging the door open, Thali revealed the hut's simple interior. There was a stone hearth, a bed with a cheerful quilt spread across its straw-tick mattress, and a small wooden shelf upon which a pitcher and washbasin had been set. Linen curtains fluttered at the room's sole window, which looked away from the pond and westward, toward the rolling hills and the setting sun.

"Here you are then," Thali said, handing the padlock's key to Sigrid. "You can latch the door when you're inside, and lock up when you're out. Everyone deserves a place of their own and a little privacy, don't you think?"
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Master Torturer
Sigrid with Thalionwen

She couln't help it, she beamed as she followed her newest employer. She was glad she had managed to impress her enough to allow her to stay, but the compliment still felt good regardless as those were indeed few and far between. Biting her lower lip, her stomach fluttering with exitement she could not stop trying to imagine what it would look like. She had never been given her own place to sleep, at least not since she lived at home with her grandmother. Sharing rooms and sleeping in kitchen nooks were all she knew and now she was going to have her very own place?

Heading down the narrow pathway her mouth dropped open when she saw the picturesque location, the adorable little pond and the hut right next to it. "Ooh.." she muttered under her breath, quickly catching up and heading over to the hut that Thalionwen was leading her to. The whole hut was no bigger than her old room back at her grandmother's but to her it was like a mansion, already decorating it in her mind with flowers on the table and getting a rocking chair to set before the fire with another quilt laying over the back and a stack of books next to it. It was heaven and it would be all hers.

"Thank you." She gratefully took the padlock, her eyes glinting as unbidden tears sprang to her eyes. She quickly blinked those away as she stepped into the hut and sat on the mattress, throwing herself back onto it as she chuckled.

Thain of The Mark

Sun sets over the fields and hills of the Mark, and a busy day at the Infirmary has ended. A new one, however, is just about to dawn.

This thread will remain open for Windy and Eolath to conclude the character arc they've begun. However, a new Infirmary thread will be opening for everyone else, and will take place the morning after the Edoras Fires thread. This way, if you incur an injury during the course of the fire and are not able to leave your firefighting efforts to visit Thali's Pop-Up Infirmary within the Fires thread, you still have medical assistance available! The new Infirmary thread will, of course, be open to all and ailments need not be fire-related.

(OOC @Bereth @Gwai and @Lirimaer: whenever you wish to continue with your training--and there's no rush, you can take as long as you like between answers, it's not a formal thing--please visit the new Infirmary thread. @KingODuckingham if you were to appear under a bed in the new thread, or in a cupboard, or really anywhere on the premise you'd be most welcome :grin:)
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Trial Healer

She lay there for a few moments, her eyes closed and a large smile on her face. She was exhausted and if she wasn't careful she would fall asleep right then and there. But she could not allow herself that luxury right now, she needed to make sure Dash was stabled and she needed to bring her stuff from the saddle bags. Groaning she rolled off the soft mattress, already looking forward to getting in it for the night and headed out of the hut. With a smile she locked it up and put the key in her pocket. She took in the view from the front door, watching as the sun set, exploding with wonderful soft colours. Feeling happier than she had in ages, she made her way back to the tent where Éolath was in.

Heading down the row of cots, she could see he was lying down and she smiled when she saw how he was sleeping. Carefully she peeled off the damp cloth from his neck and placed a soft blanket over him. Before she headed back out she made sure he wasn't lying awkwardly on his wounded arm, pleased to see he had lifted it to the side of his head. "Sleep tight.." she whispered under her breath before she left once more.

It was growing darker as she made her way to where she had left Dash, brows furrowing when she saw he wasn't there. Alwin.. a small smile lifted her lips as she headed over to the main stables. She quickly found him in one of the stalls, eating his dinner and she headed over to give him a goodnight cuddle.

"Hey there frēond.." Tired, she rested her head against his and closed her eyes.

How she got back to her hut with her gear and manage to undress and clean up she did not know, waking with a cry of suprise as the rooster crowed loudly nearby.

"WHAT was that!?" Her tousled long blond hair was quickly pushed out of her eyes as she looked around in shock for what the sound was. It wasn't until she heard it again that she was able to relax, laughing at how silly she was, but then there were not that many roosters out in the wild.

Hair brushed back into a tidy braid and her dress straightened as much as a bit of water could do she headed back to the main tent. She stopped to say good morning to Thalionwen and to grab two big bowls of porridge, grabbing some honey to drizzle over it as well. Placing them on a tray, she made her way back in to Èo, setting the tray down on the night table before taking a seat on the cot next to his. "Hey! Good morning, sleepy head.."