The Golden Hall II (OOC Thread)

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Thain of The Mark
@Lailorn I had no idea that Nymlac and Lailorn were cousins until I started catching up on After-Party!!! What a stupendous major reveal moment that had my jaw dropping - well played freond! :clap:

(Allacan edit after continuing to read) and @Arnyn emptied a water pitcher over Nymlac's head!!! what a BURN, I love it! Absolutely hilarious' oh I am so regretting falling behind on this thread.

Chieftain of The Mark
@Shivased :lol:
- he hath not forgotten Image the face of his fathers -

Esquire of The Mark
Oh my tree! (Sorry, I couldn't help it) :rofl:

@Gwai and @Frostbite, don't mess with the hælends! I am really enjoying reading Walpurgas way of not technically disobeying Ama :lol:

@Dimcairien Luiniel and @Frostbite , looking good with the horses! Though now I am really having to work to spot your posts among the others :D
Hælend of Meduseld

Thain of The Mark
*tosses @Frostbite a blanket.* HEY NOW. Taeth's eyes only. :whip: But that horsey does look good on you, yes. :wink:

@Fairy Nuff & @Almarëa Mordollwen - Sorry I've gotten behind on getting that post up in Life in the Mark to initiate the apprentice move-in. I hope to *actually* have it up tomorrow, if you're both still game for that?

Esquire of The Mark
@Taethowen yep, definitely, no rush though, still catching up myself :)
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

Dúnadan
@Aodh Hammerhelm
No worries, we are trying to figure out how to make @Gwai's silver ornament.

@Shivased
Wow, Niagara, hope you had an awesome time. Good that you didnt try wardrobing over the falls :rofl:
man of gondor < Image > heart of rohan

Balrog
*refuses all coverings* I shall not be impeded in my new equine glory! *continues to streak, singing the Doctor Who theme song*
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Chieftain of The Mark
@Calimir, :thumbs: Good job, I'll try to get Sheemie back to you this evening (after cricket!).

Thain of The Mark
@Bereth and @Lailorn A number of cavalry riders have recently gotten new horses and I wanted to open the old Show Ring, but I figured it could be encorporated into the Månsken ängar (Moonlight Meadows Stables) RP Thread to avoid too many similar threads and hopefully liven up the stables a little.

Given that the only people RPing in the old thread are us three (and even we've tailed off) and the old Thread-runner has become inactive, do either of you two mind if later this week I open a new 'Månsken ängar - Moonlight Meadows Stables and Show Ring RP Thread' to incorporate both the stables roleplay location and the show ring for people to post pretty pictures of their character's horses?

Also, does anyone have any idea what 'Show Ring' might be in Rohirric?

Doorwarden of The Mark
"bewlátung" = show, sight, pageant, spectacle
"wæft" or "wæfþ" = show, spectacle
"fald" = fold, stall, stable

"Wæftfald" sounds like a manageable mouthful to me.
@Allafyrefleorhtlig

Esquire of The Mark
And Månskens änger isnt Rohirric anyways, it is Swedish *g* Wæftfald sounds good and is easy to spell for us with the æ already on the keyboard (Scandinavian languages rock) :googly:
Hælend of Meduseld

New Soul
@Taethowen Sounds great! And I echo Fairy - no rush (still in slow posting mode myself thanks to thesis ...)
She/her. Almarëa - Rivendell / Jaena - Lone Lands (T.A.) and Gondor (F.A.) / Layna - Mordor

Doorwarden of The Mark
Amadhrill wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:36 pm (snip) Wæftfald sounds good and is easy to spell for us with the æ already on the keyboard (Scandinavian languages rock) :googly:
Alt + 0230. Naming a chara "Blædtunge" means I remember that over a decade later. :lol:
Edit: And Alt + 0169 is © which I think I remember from the Rædboda? Maybe.

Thain of The Mark
@Wamba_the_Fool and @Amadhrill Thanks to you both; I'll give it a little longer for Bereth and Lail to reply and then look at getting the Fyrst Wæftfald and Månskens änger (First Show Ring and Moonlight Meadows Stables) open at the weekend; I'd prefer to plead mercy for meshing two languages together so that I can honour contributions left by another Rohir.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Allafyrefleorhtlig wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 pm(snip) I'd prefer to plead mercy for meshing two languages together (snip)
If anyone gives you any grief just point out that while Anglo-Saxon is the closest thing we have to the Professor's language for the Eorlingas, it's still not a direct analogue; and thus, there's wiggle-room.

And this isn't even getting into the subject of the "Westron" the Red Book was written in not being the English the Lord of the Rings was written in, ha!

Ent Ancient
@Allafyrefleorhtlig - Thanks. I admit I only intended for Nymlac to be a one-off for the Campian so I could bribe people but I had so much fun with him I decided to keep him around!

As for the Stables - yes that is a great idea to merge the two! I apologise to both you and Ber it had fallen off my list and then I had trouble rewinding back to Lail's initial return home so I hadn't gotten to it yet. I am perfectly fine with you starting a new one and moving on. Thanks for checking!

Guard of The Mark
Hey everyone. I'm new, but actually I had an account here many years ago. I was a Rohirrim but I'm guessing my account was lost when the site was hacked, if I could remember my password. Anyhow, seeing as this place has (in some ways) changed somewhat but in some ways stayed the same, what would be a good place for someone new(ish) to start? Also, my name is one I use for other RP sites (mainly Harry Potter) which is why I chose it but I admit it isn't particularly Rohirric, however I was thinking of using something like Jenwyn as an equivalent to Jenny. Any ideas what I could use as a Rohirric equivalent of Harper?

Master Torturer
Welcome back Jenny!! :D This is a brand new site as the old one was indeed hacked, and Narv made this one a couple of years after :) Feel free to ask in Admins for a name change when you have found one, they are free of course :D

Chieftain of The Mark
Westu @Jenny Harper, hal.

Everyone's accounts vanished with the old Plaza, thankfully Narv gave us the wonderful gift of a Nu Plaza.

The Riddermarket and Horse and Rider Pub are two great places to meet folk and begin role playing. There are also two good free RP threads - Life in the Mark and Fields and Forests - where you can start developing your character/s.

The Cavalry of Rohan
are always looking for recruits.
Check out The Dragon Room etc.

Regarding "Harper" here are two Old English words you might find handy:

hearpestran - harper (fem)
hearplic - of a harp
Last edited by Aodh Hammerhelm on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elven Enchanter
Hiya Jenny! Glad you found us! I'm afraid I don't recoginse your name, but then I spent most of my time in Lorien and later Wilderland on Old Plaza.

This site might be a handy tool to look at for finding a Rohirric sounding name. It's where I found the name for my Rohir NPC Éomund's name.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Westu hal, @Jenny Harper! Don't forget you can forego a "family name" altogether if you wish, or make it patronymic, or something else even. But yes, the above posts are great starting points! Welcome!

Guard of The Mark
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I must say, it's heartening to see how active this place is, especially as many of my other online haunts are pretty quiet. Though if anyone was active in around 2003/04, I was known as Eothain then. I haven't roleplayed in a while so I might be a bit rusty, but I'll dip my toes in lol. Is there a thread for just creating your character's backstory? Or a thread where people's character profiles/back stories are stored? Also according to the fields and forests thread, the setting is during the 4th age? Is that right?
hearpestran - harper (fem)
I have to say, I like that. I might have to use that one, but I'll think about it before making a decision. Seems to be some good possibilities on the site Dimcairien linked.

Chieftain of The Mark
@Jenny Harper,

Hall of Histories --- viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96 sounds like what you're after?

Yes to 4th Age... I think most of the RP threads across the different Kingdoms are running in that time frame. It makes moving around a little easier, I think - though there are less villains to confront.

I run the Fields thread, so let me know if you need any help there... It's pretty much free form, so go for it...

Knight of The Mark
Hi @Jenny Harper! It is indeed 4th age. And here’s the thread you’re looking for, where you can write your character’s backstory (Hall of Rohirric Histories) —> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96

I was around in 2003-2004, and I think I recall seeing you around. Welcome back!

Edit: I should have known @Aodh Hammerhelm would have beat me in here. :wink:
Last edited by Eléowyn on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thain of The Mark
@Jenny Harper My active Old Plaza years were 2003-late 2006ish. I'm almost positive I remember seeing the name Eothain around! Welcome back!

Depending on what you're wanting, too, I have a thread up in the Cottage of Lost Play for Character Development prompts. Feel free to hop in if you want/need some help with anything!

Guard of The Mark
Taethowen wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:20 pm @Jenny Harper My active Old Plaza years were 2003-late 2006ish. I'm almost positive I remember seeing the name Eothain around! Welcome back!

Depending on what you're wanting, too, I have a thread up in the Cottage of Lost Play for Character Development prompts. Feel free to hop in if you want/need some help with anything!
I think where were at least a couple of Eothains around that time, because if I remember rightly, I had an adopted son whose username was Eothain or something like that while I remember my username was technically Master Eothain. I also had a wife for a while but she left me because I became less active on the forum. Good times!

Thanks for the links though, I'll give them a look.

Quick question (sorry for all the questions), how deep into the 4th age is the setting? For my backstory I want my character to be fairly young (around 19/20ish) but was hoping she would still have been alive during the War of the Ring, would that be possible?

Elven Enchanter
I don't think we really know what year it is (and practically every kingdom is set in a different year), but a fair amount of us are going with around Rohan in FA 20-25. My Rohir character is currently 18 and was born several years after the War of the Ring and was a young child during the Summer Storm and Winter Wind campaign in the early plaza years.

Thain of The Mark
@Jenny Harper I remember you as Eothain, I’m sure. You were in the cavalry back when I first joined, in Westmark. I feel like I might have also known you maybe through the Beorhtlig family or Campian? I was Fyrefly back then, and in the Eastmark.

Allacan edit Yes! I found you on the old Dragon Room roster from 2004-2005; you served under Eormed and @Eléowyn and were still around when @Elarith joined Westmark, and you were in the same Corthor as Berutiel, who is now @Éolath

Unless that is your adopted son of the same name? (I am Brian Eothain)

Welcome back comrade!!! So good to have you back with us

Regarding the year, my secondary PC Grimthain I have decided was age 11 during the Helm’s Deep attack, and he is about 30-35ish now, maybe a bit older. But my other PC has also been in her early 30s for easily a decade, and there are riders who came before her in the historic chronology who may not wish their characters to be older than that, so the year is all very loose in Rohan I think.

Dúnadan
Welcome back to the Plaza @Jenny Harper. Hope you enjoy your time back in Rohan and Middle-earth.
man of gondor < Image > heart of rohan

Balrog
Welcome back to the fold @Jenny Harper! I was active at the book ends of your time so we didn't have a chance to interact but perhaps we can get the chance on NuPlaza! I love all the old members finding this place and poking around :hobbyhorse:
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Chieftain of The Mark
Quick question, one easily answered, I'm sure:

How do I place a web link into a word... It's driving me crazy!

Example:

Find the maps HERE

Instead of

Find the maps httpextraneousbumpfetc

Master Torturer
If you mouse over the chain icon the second part after or is what you need [url= url link]HERE[/url ] (remove any spaces to get it to work)

Chieftain of The Mark
Thanks for quick reply, @Winddancer,

I haven't tried via PC only phone, so that should fix it.

Nogmaals baie dankie

Master Torturer
Jy is welkom! :P

Esquire of The Mark
@Jenny Harper I was also in the cavalry in those years and it might be around that time @Eldrith and I had the Ældsel pub... and I remember the name, but then again if there were plenty of Eothains around then it is hard to say.
Hælend of Meduseld

Doorwarden of The Mark
@Jenny Harper Hiya! I think I remember you from OldPlaza, if it was you not one of the other Eothains. I’m sure I remember the Master Eothain username anyway!

Guard of The Mark
Allafyrefleorhtlig wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:08 pm @Jenny Harper I remember you as Eothain, I’m sure. You were in the cavalry back when I first joined, in Westmark. I feel like I might have also known you maybe through the Beorhtlig family or Campian? I was Fyrefly back then, and in the Eastmark.

Allacan edit Yes! I found you on the old Dragon Room roster from 2004-2005; you served under Eormed and @Eléowyn and were still around when @Elarith joined Westmark, and you were in the same Corthor as Berutiel, who is now @Éolath

Unless that is your adopted son of the same name? (I am Brian Eothain)

Welcome back comrade!!! So good to have you back with us

Regarding the year, my secondary PC Grimthain I have decided was age 11 during the Helm’s Deep attack, and he is about 30-35ish now, maybe a bit older. But my other PC has also been in her early 30s for easily a decade, and there are riders who came before her in the historic chronology who may not wish their characters to be older than that, so the year is all very loose in Rohan I think.
Yes, I was in the cavalry! So that could have very well been me as that was during my peak activity years. I can't remember the names of anyone else in my family though, I can't even remember my wife's name so it's possible you knew me through the Beorhtlig family or the Campian but I couldn't remember for sure. Though the name Fyrefly does sound familiar.

Regarding my age, as it doesn't seem to be a very rigid thing, I'm planning to have my character be around the age of 10-11 during the War of the Ring and 19 or so now.

Thank you again for the kind welcome everyone.

Chieftain of The Mark
@Winddancer,
I've been thinking what a cool braai-fire-starter, Ancalagon would make!

Chieftain of The Mark
Testing Windy's WORD as link suggestion:

Map for your expedition planning can be found HERE :hobbyhorse:

BRILLIANT! Thanks @Winddancer. I'll have to use PC or Lappy to get that right... can't work out how to do it on Android (other then memorise the script!)

Ent Ancient
Welcome back, @Jenny Harper! I also recall an Eothain in the Westmark. I was Lailindeiel on the roster up there (I used to wear a horse icon). Nice to see you!

I agree I wouldn't worry about ages/times too much. I'm pretty vague about it myself with my Rohirric character. She was alive (maybe 10-15?) during the War of the Ring and now she's early 30's-ish? So I think you can play with whatever works for you and your character. :thumbs:

Master Torturer
The best ever! :D And you are welcome! Honestly once the thing makes sense in your head or you use it enough, you remember it, hopefully..

Thain of The Mark
@Jenny Harper I have kept it really vague if my character was alive during the War of the Ring, but if she was, Taeth was certainly not more than 5 years old, and now she's in her early 30s. So. Time is obviously wibbly-wobbly in Rohan, lol!

Aodh Hammerhelm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:01 pm I'll have to use PC or Lappy to get that right... can't work out how to do it on Android (other then memorise the script!)
I have started memorizing a lot of the BBCode scripts already LOL. I draft a lot of my posts in a word processor vs. directly on Plaza, and it makes it just a bit faster to transfer them over if I do some of the code while I type.

Ent Ancient
@Taethowen - Wibbly-wobbly time OR Lailyn has a secret youth serum. *flips hair* Maybe its all the honey...

Thain of The Mark
This might appal people, but most of my posts this last month have been hand typed on my phone, manually typing in the coding from memory.

I am determined to maintain consistency with the whole 'names in bold black, vocal words in "speech-marked black" description in coloured italics' thing too so it it an absolute chore (plus adding in pictures and links and centre lines and all sorts on occasion), but with recent health issues sitting at a desk has been uncomfortable so it was kinda my only choice.

I am very happy to say I seem to improving now though and am back using the laptop more often; yay for having coding just a mouse-click away!

Also @Lailorn and @Jenny Harper There's lots of things in Tolkien canon that slow the aging process or give long life; numenorian/elven blood, drinking Ent-draughts, magical rings; I'm sure people can hand wave discrepancies away and blame it on a trip to Fangorn if need be.

Thain of The Mark
@Shivased I'm so sorry I haven't been keeping up on the Throne Room, this week massively got away from me and then I ended up having to pitch multiple new projects to my agent. BUT I'm going to catch up today (Saturday) hopefully by the afternoon.
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Esquire of The Mark
@Éolath is Beruthiel?! I have been so confused, with you! I have been sure that I should know old you, but haven't managed to place you.

I am writing most of my posts in open office first, or on the phone, so I have the basic codes (and some of the smilies) memorized. I'm not sure I am proud or scared that some of them seemed to be stuck in my head since 2003 :googly:
Hælend of Meduseld

New Soul
@Thalionwen Hunigfolm I haven’t forgotten about the Infirmary, just really behind. My apologies!! Hoping to get something up in the next few days.

Chieftain of The Mark
Taethowen wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:13 pm I have started memorizing a lot of the BBCode scripts already LOL. I draft a lot of my posts in a word processor vs. directly on Plaza, and it makes it just a bit faster to transfer them over if I do some of the code while I type.

@Taethowen,
I also write most things via WP, typing beats thumb pressing any day and helps the flow of thoughts to the doc. BBCode would slow me, I think. My working fix is a set of BBCodes in the Word Template... Will add link/text script to it!

Knight of The Mark
@Thalionwen Hunigfolm no worries! The Throne Room is a Tardis, so it's all good. We're playing with the space-time continuum and Eomer is in two places at once. :lol:
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Doorwarden of The Mark
Aodh Hammerhelm wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:48 pm
Taethowen wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:13 pm I have started memorizing a lot of the BBCode scripts already LOL. I draft a lot of my posts in a word processor vs. directly on Plaza, and it makes it just a bit faster to transfer them over if I do some of the code while I type.

@Taethowen,
I also write most things via WP, typing beats thumb pressing any day and helps the flow of thoughts to the doc. BBCode would slow me, I think. My working fix is a set of BBCodes in the Word Template... Will add link/text script to it!
Draft things up in gmail as a message and it auto-saves for you! Although I'm still a chronic ctrl-A ctrl-C'er! :lol: