Hall of Rohirric Histories OOC

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Chieftain of The Mark
@Taethowen ,

:hobbyhorse: Thanks, that was quick .

I'll have a decko back through threads of yore, my memory recalls it once having a Rohirric type name.
- he hath not forgotten Image the face of his fathers -

Master Torturer
Doesnt matter to me either way, whichever suits @Éolath @Allafyrefleorhtlig :)

Doorwarden of The Mark
Allafyrefleorhtlig wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:40 pmMaybe someone linguistically skilled could figure out what 'Hall of Rohirric Histories' would be in Rohirric and we can add that to the main thread name to hopefully avoid future confusion?
Soþspell = "true story"

For "hall, house, building" I would append "-sele", "-hof," or "-heall"

The lover of alliteration in me suggests Soþspellsele but I understand if you want to shy away from that. Of course, given the importance of alliteration the texts we have... :wink:

Balrog
I love the thorn! I vote we use Soþspellsele, because you know I’ve been a Rohir long enough to say we.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Thain of The Mark
In the Records of Rohan thread, there's a couple threads listed (they hide in the middle of that massive post, though). The one I remember from my Old Plaza days was simply "Your History as a Rider" but there's also a thread from 2009 listed as "Restegan Ástígend Winsæl - Hall of Rider History."

I do kind of like the look of Soþspellsele as well, though.

Doorwarden of The Mark
OP Repost:
THREAD FOR TRANSFER OF OOC POSTS FROM ROHIRRIC HISTORIES IC

PLEASE POST MAP ADDITION REQUESTS IN THIS THREAD

AND MAKE SURE YOU TAG @Taethowen

Doorwarden of The Mark
Winsæl = wine-hall and ástígend = rider.

Re: Restegan I've seen recednes / recennes / recenness / reoedness rendered "narrative, history" ; ofgestígnes is "descent". Perhaps that lends some light to "Restegan."

FWIW, YMMV, BBQ, etc.

Knight of The Mark
I certainly have no objection to renaming the thread, as long as we also keep a name that indicates the thread’s purpose as well.

What’s the consensus on what it should be?

Chieftain of The Mark
@Eléowyn

Whatever name is chosen I'd add a bracketed translation below the header?

I think the title should be in line with the oral/bardic tradition rather than a bare bones translation of Hall of Histories?

So it could read something like:

LeóÞ swá Worð *
The Hall of Rohirric Histories

------------
* song made word

Doorwarden of The Mark
Aodh Hammerhelm wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 pmI think the title should be in line with the oral/bardic tradition rather than a bare bones translation of Hall of Histories?
^ this, which is why I love soþspell. Sure, anyone can spin a spell of spiel, but sooth? That's history now, man!

Thain of The Mark
I quite like LeóÞ swá Worð myself; a touch easier on the eyes and I think it’s rather poignant and poetic, but Wamba also does an exceedingly good job of selling Soþspell. I also remember Restegan Ástígend Winsæl; that may even have come about during my reign as Eomer with Shivased because we wanted threads to feel Rohirric, but lacked the linguistic talents of Wamba and Aodh.

@Eléowyn I suspect on this occasion we may not reach a consensus, so given that it was your thread that we’ve borrowed for our map-building, I personally would be quite happy for you decide the debate. I have a feeling we might need someone to rescue us from trying to choose them all; that’s the truth in my own case at least :googly:

Knight of The Mark
@Allafyrefleorhtlig I don't think of it as my thread, it belongs to all of us; I just got it started. :smile: I suspect you may be right, though, that there may not be a real consensus in the end. I'll give it a day or two to see if anyone else wants to weigh in, then I'll toss a coin. Or roll a die, more likely, as there are several options.

Chieftain of The Mark
@Eléowyn et al,

I think @Allafyrefleorhtlig's suggestion is a sound one, Eléo!

I've had a squizzle back through threads saved on my PC/s since 2005. Some Threads had Rohirric styled names, others not.

Here are some that were frequently posted in:

Ærendgewrit
– Rohirric errand/post office

Æthelmund
Tavern - Cavalry Pub

Ældsel Inn – Edoras local of choice

Bards’ Guild of Wrixlan

Dhrytsele – Library of Histories

Meduseld Memories – a diary thread

Thain of The Mark
Ooh I remember Meduseld Memories; or was it Meduseld Memoirs? And now I feel like my gruff cavalry PC Grimthain needs a diary, but maybe I’ll put something in COLP for that, to get that forum more activity, or use LITM... hmmm, so many ideas!

Chieftain of The Mark
@Allafyrefleorhtlig
I loved the Memoirs Thread, I far prefer my character having a place to voice his thoughts, motivations and schemes IC than in an OCC thread

Knight of The Mark
Regarding the Rohirrim style thread names: I admit that I’ve not been a great fan of overuse of those, due to my own shortfallings. It makes me uncomfortable when I can’t pronounce something in my head, and scrolling down a list of unpronounceable (to me) thread names gives me a bit of anxiety. :headshake: But I’m all for giving people what they want so as long as there is a translation so the casual observer can easily identify the purpose of the thread, I’m on board.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Eléowyn wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:41 pm Regarding the Rohirrim style thread names: I admit that I’ve not been a great fan of overuse of those, due to my own shortfallings. It makes me uncomfortable when I can’t pronounce something in my head, and scrolling down a list of unpronounceable (to me) thread names gives me a bit of anxiety. :headshake: But I’m all for giving people what they want so as long as there is a translation so the casual observer can easily identify the purpose of the thread, I’m on board.
Right, and (to my knowledge) the only reason we're batting around Eorlingisch words for the Hall of Rohirric Histories was to differentiate it title-wise from the OOC thread; I don't think any of us went "Whoa now, English in my Rohan forum‽"

Chieftain of The Mark
Eléowyn wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:41 pm Regarding the Rohirrim style thread names: I admit that I’ve not been a great fan of overuse of those, due to my own shortfallings. It makes me uncomfortable when I can’t pronounce something in my head, and scrolling down a list of unpronounceable (to me) thread names gives me a bit of anxiety. :headshake: But I’m all for giving people what they want so as long as there is a translation so the casual observer can easily identify the purpose of the thread, I’m on board.
Agree, @Eléowyn, I went to a dual English/German junior school, and speak fluent Afrikaans, so I see the similarities in Old English. Leod = lied = song
Word = woord = word

BUT I've heard A-Saxon and OE spoken and the pronunciations are way off the way we speak.

Whatever we choose it should have some resemblance to modern day English...

Master Torturer
I used to be able to speak a bit of Afrikaans! (Lived in South Africa for 5 years) <3

Thain of The Mark
I've been pining for the old Meduseld Memoirs thread myself! I remember making use of it back on Old Plaza, and it was also just fun getting to jump into other characters heads for a bit, and see what they were really up to!

If I had any say in the 'new' title for the Hall of Rohirric Histories, I'm partial to Soþspell myself, but would also be happy with LeóÞ swá Worð. I do agree that @Eléowyn should get the final say, though, since it was her thread to start with. Even if it's *for* everyone, she's still the threadrunner. :smooch:

Chieftain of The Mark
@Winddancer,
Sjoe, bly om dit te hoor, sal dit onthou as ons in RP situasies ontmoet :wink:

Master Torturer
Uh.. I said I could.. like Braai and Hoe gaan dit met jou.. Nou kan ek niks meer as dit praat nie (thanks google translate! :P )

Chieftain of The Mark
@Winddancer If you know BRAAI you're almost fluent... :rage:

Master Torturer
I miss Braai's! Still call em that 35 years later! :P

Thain of The Mark
If people like, I can look to get a Meduseld Memoirs thread up at some point soon; I’ve been looking for threads I can contribute to the kingdom that are potentially low maintenance, but will also be opening up a kingdom wide RP soon and we also have the themed threads for the nursery and the Throne Room already open, so I don’t want to overwhelm people.

ALLACAN EDIT Should I have posed this question in Golden Hall?

Knight of The Mark
@Allafyrefleorhtlig Personally I think it would be lovely if you opened that thread. I was going to if no one else did, but my preference was for someone else to do it, as I have several others. I don’t think it would be an overload as that is a post-as-you-feel-like-it kind of thread, not one where anyone feels an obligation because others are waiting on them,

Chieftain of The Mark
@Allafyrefleorhtlig & @Eléowyn,

I'd hoped to get the Hall of Arms up this week, but the super-heated weather undid me - its intended custodian is also tied up with transporting an injured hobbit from the Wold to Eastfold :googly:

On five nights the coming week, so it will have to wait until 23rd-ish.

Ærendgewrit (post office), Hall of Histories, Arms and Memoirs should give folk loads of scope to reveal thoughts, motivations, intentions etc.

Knight of The Mark
The sharp-eyed among you may have noticed that I have renamed the Hall of Histories. There were two really good possibilities: Soþspellsele and LeóÞ swá Worð. Both had good support, and I really like both. But I finally went with the latter because I loved the poetry of the meaning. Thanks to Wamba and Aodh for those two lovely suggestions and to everyone who weighed in.

Chieftain of The Mark
@Eléowyn @Wamba_the_Fool

I was partial to both suggestions, and would have had to spin a coin to decide which to use. I sort of nicked Song Made Word from the mighty bard, Lou Reed's selected lyrics compilation: Between Thought and Expression.

Either way at least I won't be posting OOC bumpf in the main thread any longer
:tongue:

Master Torturer
I did a thing. Just wanted to see if I could, not targetting your thread @Aodh Hammerhelm! It's just cause I saw some ooc posts in the main thread and I thought I would see if I could move them out and into here and I could! :D So your main thread is now ooc free again :P

Chieftain of The Mark
@Winddancer ,

That would be lekker, ekse. @Wamba_the_Fool and I got a little excitable in the main thread, which prompted the debate for a new name.

Knight of The Mark
Thanks, @Winddancer! I didn’t want to ask you to delete them from the IC thread because of loss of points to the posters. This is perfect.

Chieftain of The Mark
@Eléowyn - shinies, precious, yes :smooch:

Knight of The Mark
@Aodh Hammerhelm *wonders if Rohan is a community property nation* :tongue:

Master Torturer
No worries! At least now we know it can be done :D And if anything does require deleting, just ask me as I refund the points lost ;)

Elven Enchanter
@Eléowyn Considering Thali is trying to make the infirmary a government funded healthcare system, your statement might have some truth to it. :grin:

Knight of The Mark
:lol:

Ent Ancient
@Taethowen - no rush - whenever you edit the map post next, I have a description for Lail's house: The house is small but it sits in front of a generous yard (to be a garden and space for the beehives) and a large barn at the back. Located in New Town south of the stream.

Thain of The Mark
@Lailorn Done! :smooch: Editing descriptions is super easy, just a simple matter of copy/paste. It's when I have to make additions to the map itself that things get complicated.

Ent Ancient
Thank you!

Esquire of The Mark
Hello! I am about to post a character submission today in the IC Hall of Rohirric Histories thread, and I plan on centering my characters backstory in the small town of Smoltwaeter in the West-march. The post there with the map said to tag @Taethowen to let them know I was laying claim to that, but they haven't been active in a while so I'm just putting this here as well to kind of stake my claim for RP purposes to that town. :tongue: