I Have Never...

And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.
Guardian of Imladris
(Although I'm quite unsure about the post above, I will just continue the way I think is right.)

I have never went up in a hot air balloon, although my grandfather did. Also scared of heights, so the thought of just a rope ripping or something prevents me from it entirely. Never have I used a real bow and arrow.

Given the fact that I must be drunk in order for me to be okay with entering an airplane first of all, shows that I truly can't deal with heights. So nah, I'll pass o paragliding. Would you have stayed in Middle-earth or sailed to the Undying Lands?
"Mae govannen mellon nin."

Istari Sage
There's definitely an implied format that doesn't seem to always be followed but you did it correctly @Legolas

I have indeed used a real bow and arrow but only at some target shooting places (my university had an archery class which I took). I've never like gone hunting with a bow or anything like that. I have never really lived by myself.

I had a single dorm room for 1 year in college but that barely counts as I really only had the bedroom to myself and everything else was shared (I also had a bedroom at my parents house but I wouldn't say I 'lived alone'). After that I moved in with my (now) wife and have been together since.

That's a really interesting question. I think yes eventually I would have sailed to the Undying Lands but I think I would have been one of the elves to stick around for the Third Age. If you could be one species from M-e (human, elf, dwarf, ent etc.) but in real modern life (i.e. now, not in M-e) which would you pick?

Khazad Elder
@Legolas :thumbs:

I have lived by myself. Times were different in the early-mid 70's early 80's. :grin: It is costly now to live on one's own. I have never played tennis.

I would be a dwarf, still. I would live somewhere like Greece or Spain in a grotto (my dream is to live in a grotto similar to Zorro :grin: ). Would you participate in a travelling word sleuth caravan if a game host and all their crew arrived in the Shire?
The world was fair in Durin's Day

High Warden of Tower
I have played only table tennis - does that count? I have never had a pizza delivered to my home.

Definitely would! Have you been angry at any of your RP characters?

Khazad Elder
I have had many pizzas delivered to my home. I have never had a newspaper delivered to my home. But I did deliver newspapers when I was a youngster.

Hmm, that seems like a strange situation. I have a few RP characters (mind you, I do not RP much with them these days). I have never gotten upset with them; basically, I would be upset with myself, right? My characters are just an extension of myself. :smile: You have a chance to be reincarnated into a specific hobbit. Who would you rather be? Pippin or Merry?

High Warden of Tower
I have both received newspapers at home and delivered them, for two years or so. I have never stayed over night in a tree house (a talan? :lol: )

Well. Perhaps Merry? He seems slightly less inclined to trouble! Would you take in and raise a fell beast if there was such an option?

Khazad Elder
I have never stayed overnight in a treehouse. But I did in a boathouse. I think it would be awesome to sleep in a treehouse. Mind you; it would have to have walls. :grin: I have never been to a public aquarium with large fish (sharks, stingrays, etc.)

After 32 years of taking care of the family's pets, I have realized that I am not a pet person. Last week we finally found a good home for our grand snake, George. It was not a pleasant affair. We had him for 16 years, and I grew too attached even though I did not enjoy him. No, I would not take in fell beast. :frowny: Would you teach your children\grandchildren the names of constellations, stars and planets using Tolkien's words for them? For example, Valacirca\'Plough' or 'Big Dipper?

High Warden of Tower
I haven't either, but might be interesting. I have never walked on coals barefoot.

Hmm, not sure since I am not very good with those myself. Which of the LOTR characters would you choose for a travel companion in the case of having to walk long distances on foot?

Istari Sage
I too have never walked on coals barefoot, sounds painful. I've never walked more than a mile barefoot.

Probably Gandalf. Not only has he been around enough to know the land and make sure I don't get lost I bet he would be fun to talk to, assuming you could get him talking. Aragorn close second. It can only be one season (winter, spring, summer, autumn) forever, which do you pick (consequences on like food and stuff aside)?

Khazad Elder
I am sure that I have walked a mile barefoot in my youth at our summer cottage. Days spent outside playing, swimming, and running, add up to many steps. :smile: But never as a competition. I have never rollerbladed.

That is a difficult question, Romeran. I will have to say Autumn. Some reasons for my choice are crisp apples, colourful leaves and warm cozy sweaters. Where in Middle-earth would you tie a hammock up and spend the day lounging and picnicking?

High Warden of Tower
I have, a couple times. But - I have never tried snowboarding.

Ithilien, definitely! Mmm... fragrant forests... If you had to choose a LOTR character as your employer - who would it be and what would the type of business be?

Sage of Khazad-dûm
If you had to choose a LOTR character as your employer - who would it be and what would the type of business be?

I feel like Faramir would be a great employer, and I think we would have a Gondorian bookshop.

I have never been self-employed but I think owning a business in Middle Earth would be great fun!
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

Istari Steward
I have also never been self-employed. I have never lost consciousness other than falling asleep.

Is the 2nd question plaza related, do I remember that right? Have you ever posted about the plaza on other social media?

Istari Sage
I too have never lost consciousness other than falling asleep. No full anesthesia or passing out (yet) for me! I have never been able to hold a conversation while simultaneously reading/listening/watching something else.

Yes! I have advertised about NuPlaza on Reddit and I think talked about old plaza on Reddit as well as Facebook I think. Would you rather fight a Smaug sized rabbit or a rabbit sized smaug?

Khazad Elder
Hmm, never have I. That would be quite a trick unless one has very keen observation and perception. But really, I think something would go amiss in the conversation, reading/listening/watching. I have never been on a blind date.

I would take on the rabbit-sized Smaug. I believe the flame and wings would be much smaller. Easier to grabble with and stuff into a bucket of water. :lol: And on the line of questions, whose skin would you choose to be born in, orcs or wargs?

Istari Steward
Technically I have not been on a blind date but I did go on a date that I did not realize at the time was a date (I was young and naive, sue me) so in a way I was blind and on a date. Does that count? I have never drunk gin.

Warg skin is an easy choice, right? Like it's just fur, I think? I don't know what orc skin is like exactly but it looks very unpleasant. Were there potato chips (or crisps, I guess, for the other side of the ponders) in Middle Earth?

High Warden of Tower
Neither have I. I have never driven a cab.

Apparently Hobbits would have invented chips/crisps since they are into all things tater. Have you ever written someone else's plaza post for them?

Khazad Elder
I have never driven a cab either. I have never eaten a roasted pig with an apple in its mouth on a spit.

No, I have never successfully tried to write someone else's post. What was the longest post you ever made? Do you remember how many words/characters?

Istari Steward
I have eaten a roasted pig with an apple in its mouth, but I confess it had not been on a spit. I have never bought a virtual reality headset.

The longest post I ever made is, I believe, here on the nuplaza, in my incomplete retrospective. One of the posts is several thousand words, which is pretty rare for me. Will there be a nunuplaza someday?

High Warden of Tower
Neither have I. I have never rowed a boat.

Errrr... hopefully this one will stick around. :tongue: Have you posted killing someone else's character?

Khazad Elder
I have rowed many a boat. And if you can find a small body of water and a row boat, I highly recommend trying it. It is so very peaceful and relaxing. I have never been bit by a tick (nasty eight-legged demon).

I have killed my character, but I am unsure if I have killed someone else's? Anyone's family, friends, or lovers has not hunted me down, so I will say no. :lol: Is there a recurring theme in your rps? Like you always have the moon or cloudy skies, giggling, spitting, etc.?

Istari Steward
I have not either, though I have received a terrible bite or two in my time. I have never built a pet house.

I'm not sure I would call anything a recurring theme in my RP's, no. If anything, the opposite, they have been very eclectic. Did you complete every quiz on the old plaza?

High Warden of Tower
Neither have I. I have never been on a yacht.

I think I did... as far as I remember. Have you ever organised a plaza game?

Esquire of The Mark
I can't remember if I've ever organized a plaza game. Maybe but I don't think so. I haven't been on this forum in years! Anyways, it's good to be back and I recognize a lot of members from before. :smile:

Have you ever gone to a Comic Con? (What did you dress as?!)
And whither then? I cannot say...

Balrog
Several years ago I went to an Emerald City Comic Con, alas I didn't dress up as anyone because that's not really "my jam" as it were. I have never gone out of my way to write something comedic. (also welcome back @Melahny_oftheWoods, happy to have you back)

What's a piece of writing you did 5 or so years ago that you wish you could rewrite now?
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Istari Steward
I have definitely intended to write comedic things. I leave it up to others to judge whether it was actually funny to anyone besides myself. I have never published a book.

I "wrote" a graduation speech for the first time as a teacher several years ago, and I wish I could go back and do a better job of it. In my defense I spoke for a second time this year and did do a much better job of that one, so even without do-overs there was some redemption. Have you ever used a plaza character whose hair was dyed?

Balrog
I haven't either, but I do have a short novel outlined and ready to get written so... I have never moved across more than two states.

A small hobbit character of mine puts green stuff in her hair to turn her hair green, not a typical "dye" but close enough to answer the question I'd say. What are some unconventional sources of inspiration for you, unconventional meaning whatever you'd like it to mean?
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Esquire of The Mark
Thank you Zeal & Ardor it's good to be back!

1. I have never moved across two (provinces in my case). Stuck in the same old province.... but it's Canada, so my province is very big (larger than many countries in Europe)! I have never been on a train across the country/state/province. (But I would love to).

2. Hmmm... well most of my inspiration for poetry is from nature, which is not unheard of. :lol: But I'm very much poetically inspired by Jim Morrison, his poetry and his spoken word recordings... and they are anything but conventional! I aspire to be as strange as he. Do you base any Plaza characters off of people you know/or yourself? Or are they all totally fictional?

Khazad Elder
Hi @Melahny_oftheWoods - I have been on a train across the country /province from Prince George, BC, to Toronto, Ontario! A very excellent way to travel! But I have never flown across a state.

I base my character on myself. I couldn't pretend to be anyone other than myself for some reason. :grin: What kind of trade would interest you as a habitat of Númenor, ship build or sheep herding?

Balrog
I've flown across a few states (from NM to FL and NM to MT) but it's been many, many years. I haven't gotten so drunk at a bar I needed to call a taxi/uber.

My immediate desire would be bear watching, but since that wasn't one of the choices, I might say ship building, I love a good boat. If you lived in the glory days of Khazad-dûm, what would your profession be?

Istari Steward
I have gotten drunk enough at a bar that I needed to be driven home, but it was by a friend. I have never gone on a cruise.

Dwarf! What is your profession?! HOOAH HOOAH HOOAH! Nah, probably a baker. Would you want to go to Valinor or stick it out in Middle Earth?

Esquire of The Mark
1. I have never been on a cruise either. I have also never been on a plane.

2. Ooohh, that's a good question. I think I would go to Valinor... but only after a good lifetime of exploring Middle Earth. Do you think the Rohirrim ever put on horse shows? Like jumping, races, trick riding, etc?

High Warden of Tower
I have been on quite a few planes. I have never seen a live alligator.

I am sure they would! Would you be content with living your life in a Hobbit home without going on any adventures?

Istari Steward
This is one of those tricky statements. I am fairly certain I have seen live alligators many times, but no one time sticks in my brain; they would all have been on zoo visits as a child and alligators weren't "cool" enough to me to remain vivid in memory. But I'm still pretty confident I've seen them live. I have never been to a different continent than the one on which I was born.

I am content with my adventureless life, yes. :P Have Tolkien's letters shaped your RP at all?

Khazad Elder
Neither have I. But I dream of Greece! I have never owned a black car.

No, his letters have not shaped my RP's. They seem too realistic for me but do have interesting facts. I like his stories more so than his personal life. If you had been one of the Nazgûl, which one would you have been? The Witch-king, Khamûl, or one of the other seven thugs?

High Warden of Tower
I still have my first car, and it is dark blue. I have never run after butterflies with a catching net.

Err... Must I be? Suppose, any then. :lol: What would you do if you were present in Elrond's Council?

Balrog
I've run after butterflies, just not with a net. I have never owned a bamboo plant.

The smarmy answer is probably laugh at everyone arguing over unimportant minute about whether the Ring is "The" Ring, but the serious answer would be I'd annoy everyone to death getting all the historiography background of the Rings of Power and why this was all necessary. From a character POV, what is the difference between a quest and an adventure?

Istari Steward
I have never personally owned any plant, although my wife has owned some. No bamboo though. I have never owned a VR headset.

I would say all quests are adventures, but not all adventures are quests. Adventures can be more open-ended, while quests have a particular objective (E.G. the golden fleece). Have you done a whole RP outside of traditional Middle-Earth? (all in Valinor, or Numenor, or somesuch?)

High Lord of Imladris
I also have never owned a VR headset . I have never been to a major Comic Con or Expo

YES! Did one in a Valinor Pub not that long ago. I've also done RPing outside of Middleearth entirely (playing in stargate and space as a furry) Have you ever created your own locations (Think naming small forests or cave systems more than singular buildings) in Middle earth to RP?
Sereg a Dîn

Balrog
Does Emerald City count as a major con? or just San Diego, New York, E3 and the like? I have never written a story over 15,000 words, RP might be different but I don't follow those word counts.

Hahahahahahahaha, I think you know the answer to that. What is a historical period you'd like to blend with RP? ie Gondorian and Tudors, Edwardian Shire, or Tsarist Esgaroth

Khazad Elder
I have never written a story over 15,000 words, either. I have difficulty emptying my brain, which is full of ideas, onto paper. I have never spoken to a celebrity.

Second Industrial Revolution (A.D. 1869 to A.D. 1914 ) - often referred to as the Technological Revolution; a period in which the light bulb, the telephone, the airplane, and the Model T automobile were invented - and Khazad-dûm. It sure would be nice to light up the cave with some lights and call your friends on the other side of the Mountain. :lol: What modern item of clothing would you have in Middle-earth?

Balrog
I met George RR Martin once at a pre-show book signing and we talked for some time about New Mexico authors. I have never made my own bread.

I'd bring a mackintosh coat, the first coat that what resistant so that if I were to trek across places with Strider I wouldn't get super soaked and die of a chill. Who threw better parties, Rivendell or Lothlórien?

High Warden of Tower
I have; it turned out so-so. I have never been in a ballet class.

Hmm. Perhaps Rivendell? Somehow they appear more cheerful (at least in the Hobbit). Have you ever engaged in heated arguments on the plaza, and if so, do you still maintain that you were right? :lol:

High Lord of Imladris
I have, one class, after 8 years of Ukrainian dance being told my 4th position was too advanced to do the basic 4th made me quit. I have never thought of getting my own LOTR based tattoo.

Yes, and yes and would again. If you had to pick something from the new series to base an RP on here on the plaza could you? (no spoilers for anyone this is more a yes/no question)
Sereg a Dîn

Khazad Elder
As of yet, nothing has inspired me enough even to get a tattoo. :smile: A heart? Nah. A butterfly or flower? Nah! Gimli's face? Not. :lol: I have never held a real sword.
No. Would you be able to spend your days wearing no footwear (except maybe the occasional boots for those down in the Marish), like Hobbits?

High Lord of Imladris
Yes am trained in sword fighting. I have never held a real shield Just prop ones

Yes. I tend to wear flip flops more often than not if I am wearing shoes and the bottoms of me feet are pretty tough from it. Would you need to stand but a little higher for Eomer to cut off your head?
Sereg a Dîn

Istari Steward
Hmm, yeah, I think all the shields I have held were essentially toys. Maybe at a Ren. fair? I have never worn ear plugs.

I mean, if Gimli is for reference, then Eomer can reach my head easily. Have you ever RP'ed a character fighting in a competition or arena that had death as its punishment for failure?

Balrog
I used to a lot whilst at work a few years ago but never with any sort of regularity before or since. I have never eaten sea urchin.

I ran (some might say still run) a thread that's usually a fist fight to the death. What's an RP you've wanted to do but felt it was too risky for one reason or another?

High Lord of Imladris
I have with Sushi, not on it's own though. I have never finished reading the Harry Potter series

I've wanted to do one involving the other elemental spirits in elves - figuring out what happened with the spirits of earth water and air (since we have a fire spirit in canon so makes sense the others would exist and have done a little bit of this but generally my idea for it would take at least two other RPers and working figuring out characters. If there was one mythological/cryptological creature NOT in Middle earth that you'd want to see added to it what would it be?
Sereg a Dîn

Khazad Elder
I have never read the HP series, either. During the pandemic, I used a #2 clipper on my head, but I have never shaved all my hair.

Were not Ossë and Uinen water spirits? The Book of Lost Tales is a good place to look for air and water spirits.

Harry Potter got me thinking that centaurs would be interesting. Especially the ones from this cartoon that I watched when I was young. :grin: These characters look like the elves in the series. Tewt, a small satyr who vocalizes only by playing his syrinx, was my favourite. :lol: What type of spirit would you prefer, fire, air or water?