Se Riddermarket of Approaching Autumn - CLOSED

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Master Torturer
Æric waved off the apology, honestly feeling quite relieved that this man had come running. Although the reason was embarassing, it was nice to know that there were men out there patrolling, especially given the recent stabbing. Obviously that must be why they were a bit jumpy themselves, making Æric feel even more guilty. They should not be adding to these mens worries.

"Uh no, sorry. I was out bac-"

"They came from the house just down the road. You know, the one that smells funny." Edda looked at the man like he should know what she was talking about, though her excited nature was already jumping back to the 'offer' he had made.

"Papa! He said I could take care of his horse!" Edda beamed so proudly that Æric almost did not want to ruin it.

Gathering his daughter back up into his arms he gave the man a look like he would explain things to Edda and added "I did see where they went though, they are over in that building there and oh the door is closed, maybe they trapped themselves in there? Well I guess they won't be hard to catch now then.." Giving a small chuckle, he shook his head. "Time for dinner, little Miss.." he said, ignoring her scrunched up face. He didn't mean to burn the food.

@Aethelu

Chieftain of The Mark
Golde ge Eorcanstan: NPC ~ Malachite Copperstick

While Mal stood waiting for Gwai to accept his gifts, his mind (and ever hungry stomach) turned to the midday meal. As soon as she had the silver sweeteners in hand he planned to nip out and gather the makings of lunch. But his mental shopping list ... pickled pork… new brown ale … a selection of cheeses… flew from his head as soon Amethyst spoke.

“Aye, my sister speaks for me there, freond!” he said to Gwai, looking at the Rohir with keen eyes. “Have you heard anything about those poor, wee bairns? I feel responsible for them, kennit? If only I’d acted more decisively their mother might have lived… and they wouldn't have vanished. That’s what Sheemie’s about, I think. Raising a posse to try and find the wee ones.”

--
@Elarith & @Gwai-Gon Jinn
- he hath not forgotten Image the face of his fathers -

Ent Ancient
Lailyn, Slitan Bur
A door around the alley, perfect! She could skirt her way into the shop from there and see about getting these horses back where they belonged, returned to their owners, no harm done. She hoped.

Before she had her chance, footsteps sounded behind her and she turned to see a young man (Éomund) had approached, the one she’d noticed earlier that morning. “I hope you weren’t planning on buying any meat,” she informed him with a wry smile. “Oh, these aren’t your horses, are th-” she asked but was cut off as the horse-rear budged from the door while she was distracted. With her weight still upon it, she had no chance of making a graceful entry and she fell stumbling into the shop.

When she righted herself, she was greeted by the sight of the two horses taking up a generous portion of the butcher shop. And the paler of the two (Arod) was looking quite irate. As was the shopkeeper (Elarith) which was understandable in the circumstances. Lailyn shot her a sympathetic look.

“Now, then you two,” she spoke calmly, holding out her hands placatingly to the fine steeds. “It’s alright... I can’t see what interests you about this shop but it’s a fine day outside!” Her voice was steady and bright. “Wouldn’t you rather be out in the sun and the fresh air instead of cooped up in here? I know I would if given a choice...” Yes. She was trying to reason with the horses but she wanted to at least avoid provoking them further and hoped her tone of voice might do some good. Nor was she above a bit of bribery. “Maybe there’ll be some carrots in it for you…”

@Elarith @Allacan ob Burzum @Dimcairien Luiniel @Gwai-Gon Jinn

Nymlac, Awesnis gærwe nædleprica
“Seventy-five percent?!” he balked at Eldreda. His charming smile disappeared. “That’s steep! The old seamstress before your cousin never charged that much…” He muttered, half to himself. It must have been a while since he’d been here for new clothing. He cast a critical eye over the shop, taking in the fine fabrics and considering the comfort and look the finest material might provide.

He pursed his lips. “Still, I can see the quality here is impeccable and I have heard your work is the best.” Nymlac drummed his cane on the shop floor in thought and heaved a dramatic sigh. He nodded at her, having made up his mind.

“Right then. I’ll take one of each - cotton, linen and wool. That will have me ready for winter and replace my ruined shirts…” he mused. “Did you know I rescued at least four children from their burning blaze of a home that night? Oh, it was terrible, were you here that night?” He added as an afterthought. “I realise it is hard to believe,” he gestured with his cane, “but one does find one’s strength when innocent lives are in danger! Perhaps I could arrange some sort of discount for my selfless good deeds?” He swept back a lock of golden hair from his face and winked at her. Yes, yes, let her believe he was a chivalrous savior of innocent children. It was so much better than the real story of him passed out drunk in the field, the streets and the infirmary tent.

@Taethowen

Thain of The Mark

Eldreda

Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica
"The seamstress who was here before my cousin was not nearly as skilled as either of us, nor did she have as wide and varied an inventory from all of Arda," Eldreda replied to Nymlac's protestations.

He seemed to agree to the terms, though, and right as she was about to have him start picking out the fabrics he wanted, Nymlac started rambling about 'saving lives' and maybe he had... but someone who bragged about it to try and get a deal with it was reprehensible in her book.

"I was not here for the fires, I only arrived in Edoras yesterday," she stated, her mouth narrowing as he winked at her. "And I cannot offer any discounts right now. Now, if you'd like to select the fabrics you'd like for your shirts, those are the cottons, those are the linens, and those are the wools." She pointed to each appropriate shelf.

@Little Bird Lail

Doorwarden of The Mark
Elarith at Slitan Bur

Oh. Maybe being stern with the horses had been a mistake. The snappy grey came charging towards her, and Elarith leaped backwards to get out of his way. She smacked her back against the counter, knocking some of the wind out of her as the horse began smashing things. "No no no no no no no no no!" she said, breathlessly, holding her arm across her ribs. Arod carried on regardless.

With his weight no longer on the door, Lail had fallen into the shop, which she probably would've chortled at if a horse wasn't currently demolishing the place around her. Instead Elarith gave her a pleading look as the other woman started talking calmly to the two steeds intent on demolition and escape. Carrots! She wondered if Ælfric had stored any in the workroom ready for adding to pies...

@Little Bird Lail @Allacan ob Burzum @Dimcairien Luiniel

Thain of The Mark
Arod
With Brightfyr, suddenly interested in the newly arrived woman, in Siltan Bur
(@Elarith, @Little Bird Lail, @Gwai-Gon Jinn and @Dimcairien Luiniel)

He was halfway through trying to wedge himself forcibly between two pieces of furniture and only really achieving a chaotic disassembly of the store's careful presentation when he suddenly froze in place at the sound of a word he knew; 'carrots'! Any destrier worth his salt-lick knew that word. He reversed a little (which sadly only proved to cause more mayhem and destruction) and then turned to consider the newcomer, for the moment ignoring his equine companion, the shouty woman and the young man standing just outside, all in favour of the possibility of treats. His ears flicked about - Lailyn clearly had his attention now - but he bared his teeth once more in warning before he stepped towards her and began sniffing her front and her hands in search of the orange delicacies.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Dicun, at Treowwyrhta

Now that all fear of another attack was banished from his mind, Dicun could feel himself relaxing a little. It seemed the horses were not some cover for nefarious deeds, at least not so far. Perhaps this was all just some foolish prank, releasing the horses to cause some mischief. The man began to explain that he hadn't seen anything, but his daughter was quick to offer what she had seen.

"The house that smells funny, I see." In truth he didn't see at all. Several of the shops sold rather distinctive smelling goods, and then who knew what a small girl would think smelt funny compared to him. This could turn into a long investigation. Before he could ask for a little more clarification on what exactly was funny about the smell, she had already changed subjects. Dicun could only wonder if this had been what he had been like as a child, mind flitting from one thing to the next without a break. He was sure he had seen that look from his parents though, as the father gathered her up in his arms, that look that spoke of having to have a serious conversation later.

"I see the building you mean," Dicun said, glancing out the window in the direction he indicated. "I shall go and see what is happening. Thank you again for your help." He grinned at the girl, offering her a small salute. "Both of you. Enjoy your dinner."

Stepping out of the shop, hoping he had no overstayed his welcome, he looked towards the building he planned to investigate next. It was the butchers shop, and he could hear voices coming from the now open door. As he drew nearer, there seemed to be a few people in the shop. And 2 large horses.

"Westu hal!" He called out as he reached the open door to find Lailyn and Elarith facing down two large and seemingly unhappy horses. "I'm a little confused," he said, nodding to the two horses snuffling around. "Are these two customers or dinner?"

@Winddancer @Elarith @Little Bird Lail @Allacan ob Burzum
Dryhtguma of Meduseld ~ Dicun

Esquire of The Mark
Æthelwigend Tord
Streets and Liason office

Æthelwigend of the Eastmark Éored

Tord looked thoughtfully at Lailyn «You think the horses might have undone the knots?» The doubt in his face was unmistakeable.

«Well, we must investigate it. I do not think that many cavalry horses will let someone else come so close as to untie the knots... yet it must be someone... or something...» Again his eyes looked around, lingering for a moment on the two war horses. «I agree, ma'am.»

Dicun took the key from Lailyn and put it in his pocket. The æthelwigend's attention was gone for just a moment, but when he returned his gaze to where he had seen the two war horses Arod and Brightfyr, they seemed on the move. He walked together with Dicun, taking long, firm steps. There was a loud scream again, but this time Tord smiled at the sound and also at Dicun bolting into the shop where the sound had come from. That was not a sound of fear, but rather a child's excited and happy squel.

«Now, boy, where do you think you're going all alone.» He caught the bridle of a horse enjoying a leasurly stroll through the market area. But the move had him loose sight of the two war horses he had been pursuing. He watched throught the doorway as Dicun appologized to the man and his daughter, and followed up on the girl's word and giving her a salute as he returned outside. Tord watched the young dryhtguma as he made his way to the butcher's shop. He gave the dryht a pat on the back with his free hand. He did well with the child.

«Well done, dryht!» He said as he followed the dryhtguma towards the butcher's shop in his long firm steps, the horse however did not want to come in the same direction. It was as if the horse did not want to come along, Tord had to drag the horse forcefully after him. «Come now, boy.»

He looked into the now open doors of the butcher's shop, inside he could see the two horses, Lailyn, Elarith, and Dicun. He tied the horse to a hitching pole, making sure that knot was secure. His blue eyes carefully searched the market, looking for anything else amiss. There were still a few horses around, seemingly walking around aimlessly and without an owner.

OOC Sorry I forgot all about this thread) :embarrassed:
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient
Lailyn, Slitan Bur
The shop was in quite a bit of disarray and Lailyn frowned at Elarith. “I’m sorry,” she told her even though it wasn’t her fault. “They’ve just been roaming the market and I don’t know who they belong to,” she explained. For a moment, she thought she might recognise the shopkeeper but was uncertain and could figure it out later. Right now, she had drawn the attention of the grey horse and rather needed to deal with getting him and his friend out of the shop. Would their owners be missing them yet and would they pay for any damages incurred at Slitan Bur or the other shops they’d perused?

“Do you think you’ve got anything that might tempt them out?” she asked Elarith in vain, certain a butcher wouldn’t have anything for a horse to eat. When Arod bared his teeth at her, she took a small step back but didn't go far given the lack of space. She did not particularly feel like getting bitten, kicked or trampled by a horse today even if he was a cut above the rest. However, it seemed he had changed his tune and with his snout nestling in her hands, she let out a breath of relief and took the opportunity to scratch his nose. Sure they got off to a rocky start but Lailyn was happy to forgive and forget. Especially when it came to such a fine steed.

Just as she reached out to take a gentle hold of Arod’s reins to try to lead him outside, Dicun and Tord arrived on the scene. “Is everyone fine? You didn’t find anything amiss?” she asked them.

“I think they want to get out of here...this is no place for a horse. If we just stay calm and gently lead them outside and if any of you have something entice them, we can get them back where they belong before they cause any more trouble...” It would not be an easy feat for both Arod and Brightfyr to turn around and it seemed easier to exit the front door rear-end first. Perhaps that’s what had Arod so riled up; Lailyn would not like to feel trapped in a place with no way out, either. “I think they’ll have to go out the same way they came in…”
@Allacan ob Burzum @Elarith @Amadhrill @Aethelu @Gwai-Gon Jinn @Dimcairien Luiniel

Nymlac, Awesnis gærwe nædleprica
This woman did not appear at all impressed with his feigned bravery. No discount for him today. Ah well. You win some, you lose some. It was worth a try.

He paced among the shelves and gave the fabrics a critical eye. They were indeed all the very best quality and he wished he could buy more. If only he’d been born rich. After perusing the options for some time, he finally made up his mind and told Eldreda: a pale cotton suitable for summer, a blue linen to match his eyes and a rich green wool for winter.

“You said your cousin is the Second Marshal?” he asked with raised brows. “Do you know if they are any nearer to catching those responsible for the fires? I live in Auld Town and the flames nearly took my house." Not even close. The fire was blocks away. "I'd like to see them brought to justice. You know I have some ideas of my own about it all…”

He lowered his voice and leaned toward the woman as if telling her a secret only he knew. “There were a few odd foreigners at the festival. Very suspicious types. I heard about some strange events at the M Meduseld contest as well though I was not in attendance myself...” And what a shame that was. He was still perturbed his aunt had overlooked him in favor of entering his cousin. Obviously if he had been there, he would have been the champion and maybe then he would have gotten a discount today!
@Taethowen

Thain of The Mark

Eldreda

Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica

Eldreda eyed Nymlac as he made his fabric selections, making notes as to what she estimated his measurements would be. As he pointed out the materials, she gathered the bolts and set them aside.

He followed her closely--too closely, if she were honest, but she wouldn't kick a paying client. Not yet, anyway.--and Eldreda forced herself not to scowl as Nymlac brought up her cousin's position as the Second Marshal, clearly trying to wheedle privileged information out of her. Not that she knew any.

"I'm certain I already said that I've only just arrived in Edoras," Eldreda replied. "And Taethowen would never carelessly speak of Cavalry issues, even to me. If she's a Marshal now, I'm sure that whatever suspicious types were present at the festival, she could more than handle herself, and them."

Eldreda placed herself back behind the counter then, and pulled her notepad over. "Is there anything specific you're wanting for these shirts?" she asked, hoping that the conversation would stay on the topic of his order now, and nothing else.

@Little Bird Lail

Doorwarden of The Mark
Elarith, at a dishevelled Slitan Bur

Rubbing her ribs still, Elarith tried to take some big lungfuls of air. The grey horse had turned towards the newcomer, no doubt after something. At least he had stopped destroying her shop for a minute.

She waved as another half-familiar face came in to ask if the horses were customers or dinner. "Don't usually serve horse meat but might make an exception," she wheezed quietly to Dicun. "Carrots - I'll check," she added, thumbing over her shoulder towards the workroom. Gently she edged back round the counter and into the back, hoping Lail could keep the horse calm and distracted in the mean time. In the third cupboard she opened she found a handful of carrots that were starting to look a bit sorry for themselves but would perhaps keep the rampaging pony happy.

Coming back into the shop, Elarith softly chucked the carrots towards Lail. She wasn't going near that horse's teeth with the look she'd gotten off him, not if she wanted to keep all her fingers.

((OOC: Sorry guys, have just been the falling-asleep-on-the-settee-at-9pm type of knackered after work lately. Enjoying my energy burst tonight!))

@Allacan ob Burzum @Little Bird Lail @Gwai-Gon Jinn @Aethelu @Amadhrill

Ent Ancient
Nymlac, Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica
The seamstress was impervious to his charms and the lure of gossip. What a boring person, he thought. Clearly, he was not going to get any interesting information out of her and he suddenly felt very impatient. “No, no, I don’t need anything special, just whatever the usual design is will do.” He waved a hand dismissively. “Do you need my measurements or have you any records from the previous owner? If so, I’m Nymlac. I was a regular customer here and my measurements will not have changed.” Out of habit, he flashed her a grin though he was now less interested having dismissed her as being dull despite that luminous face. Had she ever broken a rule a day in her life?

He dug into his pocket for the payment and felt only a single coin. Momentary panic flashed across his face. That wasn’t right; he knew he’d had more when he left this morning...wait, but that was the coin! The one he’d held onto all this time. Why, he couldn’t say, but there it was.

With a flick of his wrist, his swapped his cane to his other hand for a moment to reach into his other pocket. Much to his relief, he found a full coin purse and made a show of counting out the deposit for her. Seventy-five percent was positively outrageous but at least there’d be less to pay at the end. He wagered it was probably safer to pay more now, anyway; less chance of him spending it all at the tavern. “The deposit, as agreed, my dear,” he said with a direct gaze at her as he held out the coins. “When do you expect they will be ready to pick up?”

@Taethowen

Thain of The Mark

Eldreda

Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica

Eldreda could tell that Nymlac was growing bored with her, to her own relief. She would admit to herself that she was curious about some of the things he'd brought up, but she wasn't going to speculate, especially about things her cousin might have been involved in.

"I do have the records from the previous seamstress," Eldreda answered. She was sure Taeth had kept them, it would be unlike her cousin to get rid of something like that, and it was easier to say that then confess that she'd eyed the man and jotted down the measurements just from his build. That would just seem like more of an opening for him and she didn't want to give it.

As Nymlac dug through his pockets for coin, she noticed a moment of panic cross his face, but it quickly subsided, and he counted out the coin and held it out. She retrieved the coin with a small smile, quickly counted it, and jotted down the amount of the deposit.

"The shirts should be ready in about a week, and the remainder of the payment will be due then. However, if you need a little more time to come up with the money at that time, we can set up an installment plan."

@Little Bird Lail

Elven Enchanter
Éomund
Slitan Bur

Éomund barely managed to stifle a laugh at Grimthain's astonishment when he finally realised what was going on. Having nodded in agreement about getting the horses rounded up, he found himself standing in front of Slitan Bur trying to figure out how best to approach the horses. The owner of the shop (Elarith) along with another individual (Lailyn) were attempting to get the two horses out of the shop. He shook his head with Lailyn asked if they were his, "No, but I usually know may way with horses. Can I help?" He winced as she was bumped by the horse and suddenly fell into the shop. He quickly stepped forward, ducking to try and avoid the horse, but was unable to enter into the shop.

"Now then, what is up with you?" he asked of the two horses rears, "don't you know you're bothering the shop owners and their patrons?"

From what he could gather, it sounded like the only way out of the shop, at least for the horses, was through the front door and that it would be too difficult to get them to turn around. "I-I can help guide them out," he called into the shop. He wasn't entirely certain what he could do. Trying to get horses to move backwards would be difficult, though not entirely impossible. The biggest problem would be preventing them from spooking, but hopefully that could be averted between treats and calm voices.

@Lailyn @Allacan ob Burzum @Gwai-Gon Jinn @Elarith (and there's probably a few others in this shop, but it's been so long since I've posted I have no idea who is still there)

Thain of The Mark
Arod
inside Siltan Bur
with Brightfyr (@Gwai), @Little Bird Lail and with Dicun (@Aethelu), Tord (@Amadhrill) and Éomund (@Dimcairien Luiniel) outside.

He was too distracted by the idea of food and getting his nose scratched from the kindly lady to hear any of the insults from the person standing outside the door (dinner indeed!) but all the same he was still vaguely conscious that more and more people were arriving and both he and his equine companion were becoming outnumbered. He turned his head to consider those standing behind him only to discover that Lail had taken hold of his halter in a firm grip. He was for a moment tempted to bare his teeth again and tug at her, but the smell of this place was grating increasingly on his senses - it smelled oddly of the battlefield and yet not, and he did not like it - and indeed she gave such -lovely- nose scritches.

The next minute the angry lady re-appeared and tossed something towards the lady holding his halter, and he instinctively shied away for a moment, thinking it might be one of those sharp knives he had spotted behind the counter. The next instant though he recognised the sight and smell of orange carroty delights and eagerly set to before Brightfyr could gobble them all up. Crunching happily on a mouthful of carrots, he now seemed willing to be backed out of the door of the shop, but only if he could keep half an eye on the shoutey lady to make sure she did not try anything with those sharp knifes he had spotted behind the counter, every now and then snorting at her warningly in a manner that sadly covered Lail in horse-spray and half-chewed carrot-bits.

His rump reversed into Éomund even as the young man was interrogating it, and once clear of the shop entry-way the tail lifted up as though it were going to attempt to answer the young man. And answer it did, in a manner of speaking, as Arod deposited a large pile of fresh manure just outside the butcher's as though it were a last hurrah, and then allowed himself to be calmly led away to the stables where he would spend the next few months regaling any equines that would listen with tales of the day he and his cavalry fellows invaded and conquered the Riddermarket.

Moments after the famous horse's exit, Grimthain came jogging up to Éomund wiping his hands against his trousers and smiling widely.
"Well, I reckon that's something you could write home to your mother about; horses running wild in Edoras." he said jovially, before sobering a moment later as he realised that being reminded of his mother might not prove as humorous to the younger man as he had intended.

OOC - (I figured it was about time Arod accepted defeat and was retired again, in more ways than one. Thanks to everyone who joined in with the silliness!)

Ent Ancient
Lailyn, Slitan Bur
Backing the horses out the door took a bit of careful coordination and she definitely did not envy the lad (Éomund) on the other end. On her way out, she nearly stepped right in Arod’s fresh deposit. Fortunately someone alerted her at the last moment and she just managed to narrowly miss it. Poor Elarith was going to have quite the clean up on her hands...

"How many Rohir does it take to get a pair of horses out of a shop anyway?" Lailyn asked with a laugh. Apparently more than she might have thought and Elarith's carrots probably deserved most of the credit.

A youth appeared on the streets then, looking quite harried and panicked almost as if a fire was hot on his heels. His eyes widened in alarm and he rushed forward to take Arod’s reins with mumbled apologies and something about how the horse had yet again outsmarted him. The stablehand looked as if he may have run the length of Edoras in search of his errant charge. Despite the trouble he caused, she gave the horse an affectionate pat before he was led away.

With the horses squared away, the market returned to its usual pace. Lailyn glanced around the streets and seeing nothing else amiss, she headed back to Slitan Bur. After stepping over Arod’s last-ditch protest to being rounded up, she popped back into the shop.

“Would you like some help cleaning up?” she asked Elarith.

(OOC: Alla, your last post was the cherry on top of the Arod sundae - thanks again for the laughs! )
@Elarith @Allacan ob Burzum @Amadhrill @Aethelu @Dimcairien Luiniel
---
Nymlac, Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica to streets
Excuse me, what kind of pauper did she think he was?! A payment plan! How rude!

“No. That will not be necessary,” he replied through gritted teeth. “I assure you I will have more than sufficient funds to make the final payment.” His knuckles began to turn white as his grip on his cane tightened.

“I look forward to our meeting again when I come back,” he said curtly in contrast with his words. “Until then, good day.” He managed a very thin smile before he turned on his heel to leave.

The first few steps made him grimace. Pain shot up his leg, a near-ceaseless reminder that he would never be the man he once was, or wanted to be. There was still so much left of the day and already, it seemed he had done too much. One step, then another and another, each one harder than the last, he struggled along until he finally found a bench down the street where he promptly collapsed without grace.

He leant his cane against the bench, stretched his leg out and rubbed it in a futile attempt to relieve the pain. It would do no good, he knew, years of experience taught him there was little that could ease it on days like this.

Releasing a sigh, he drew out a flask. The memory of that coin in his pocket called to him and he found himself holding it in his other hand. It had surprised him when the woman tossed it to him at the Tournament. And it was not the first unexpected thing she had done that day...

As he stared down at the coin glowing bright in the sunlight, alluring him with curious questions about her, he could not ignore the weight of the flask in his other hand. Nymlac buried the coin deep in his pocket and unlatched the flask. If it dulled any of the pain, it would be a miracle. Not to mention the miracle it would take for him to ever be worthy of a woman as capable, strong and intriguing as Eldrith.
@Taethowen

Doorwarden of The Mark
Dicun, at Slitan Bur

It had to be said, this was turning out to be a very strange day indeed. Dicun had started out with some fear about what the day would hold, but wandering horses and excitable children had not quite been what he had been expecting. It was a relief to know that so far, there was nothing sinister happening. He was trying hard not to laugh at the chaos in the butcher's shop though, he needed to maintain his composure in his role patrolling the market.

"Have no fear," he grinned in response to Lail's questions. "There was nothing wrong, only a very excited little girl who wanted to play with these horses. It seems they have been making their way around the market to see what they could find." Thankfully Elarith was unharmed, though seemed just about ready to start preparing horse steaks as necessary. Between those already in the shop, they seemed to be doing a pretty good job of convincing the horses to depart the shop. Slowly but surely, they were gently backing up towards the door. It seemed to all be going well.

Then the horse began to lift his tail. Dicun knew what would come next, but there was little he could do to stop it. He was only thankful he had made his...deposit outside the shop and not inside. That would be the last thing Elarith would need in her shop. Finally, they horses were out the door and someone was leading them off and out of mischief he hoped. Looking around, the market seemed to be settled once more without it's extra visitors, and he felt a weight lift from his shoulders. Now he wondered what he needed to do next. Should he offer to help clear up the mess left behind by the equine jesters? Should he be off to the armoury to fetch Lail's weapon? Should he finish checking out the rest of the market?

He was still stood in the doorway, the scent of manure filling his lungs when Lail reappeared to offer her help to tidy up. Dicun turned to Elarith, finally knocked out of his pungent thoughts. "Yes, do you need some help clearing up? The market seems quiet for now, I can finish up my patrol in a little bit." He patted the pocket he had Lail's note in. "And I can finish up my other jobs too."

@Allacan ob Burzum @Lailyn @Elarith @Amadhrill @Dimcairien Luiniel (OOC: I think I've tagged everyone involved...maybe... :googly: )
Dryhtguma of Meduseld ~ Dicun

Esquire of The Mark
Æthelwigend Tord
Streets outside the butcher's

Æthelwigend of the Eastmark Éored

Tord caught only half of the words spoken, between the noise of the outside market and the horse stuffed into the butcher's shop.

«Nothing but roaming horses, my lady» He called to Lailyn over the horse's back, he made sure to keep well away from the reach of the hooves. Éomund and Grimthain were there too, by now it was quite the crowd outside the butcher's. Suddenly it seemed that the strong horse had enough of his freedom and he started to back out of the shop. Tord quickly stepped out of the way, both Éomund and Lail seemed to have controll over the horse. «Watch your steps, now, my lady, the horse has left his card...»

A stable hand appeared, looking quite flustered and the Æthelwigend was about to give him a lesson for not taking properly care of the cavalry horses, but thought he would save it for a more private moment. Another stable hand was quickly rounding up the last free horses. It would need to be reported in due time to the marshals of course. «Cavalry horses!» He muttered to himself and shook his head. Hearing Dicun report back that there seemed to be no other trouble he nodded.

«All seems well, now that the loose horses are caught. I will make a report to the marshals about it, unless that is your business?» He looked at Lailyn.
Hælend of Meduseld

Knight of The Mark
UPDATE

This thread will close in approximately ONE WEEK, no later than November 30th. You have until then to finish up any stories, complete your shopping, or your day's work.
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark

Eldreda

Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica
Eldreda's eyes widened for a moment as Nymlac responded a bit... poorly to her offer of an installment plan, and while she hadn't meant to actually offend the man, his slightly sharp response gave her hope that the next time they met it would just be business and not his... uncomfortable flirtation.

"Good day to you as well," she answered quietly with a nod of her head, but decided against asking if he was all right as he made his way out of the shop, favoring one leg. He didn't seem like the type who would want something like that acknowledged.

The rest of the day passed quickly. Eldreda's thoughts often turned to Taeth, knowing her cousin had gotten a bit later start on her journey than she'd anticipated. But those thoughts were often interrupted by customers, either people coming to pick up something Taeth had been working on for them, or several who were starting to inquire about Mettare gowns for later in the year. While Eldreda had reassured the women that there was still plenty of time to get their commissions in, she was relieved that people were thinking ahead on that front.

Before Eldreda knew it, the day was drawing to a close, and while she began to tidy the shop as she lingered till closing, wanting to make sure she didn't miss any last-minute customers.

Ent Ancient
Lailyn, Slitan Bur and vicinity
Lailyn was relieved to hear from both wigends that everything was fine. “Thank you both for investigating,” she told Tord and Dicun with a grateful smile though now she felt thoroughly embarrassed at her reaction. Apparently it was not a scream of terror but of delight and one she felt she should have recognised. "I'm sorry if I overreacted. Um...I've been a touch jumpy lately but I really ought to be more sensible."

This was when she noticed the bits of half-chewed carrot stuck to the front of her dress amid a speckling of damp spots from Arod’s effusive spit. She flicked the debris away with a careless hand. Anything was better than someone else’s blood even if she was suddenly feeling entirely unqualified for the position she was in. Dicun’s little reminder of Taethowen’s note did not help and when Tord asked about writing a report for the Marshals, she felt even further out of her depth.

“Ah...I think I may be expected to write a report but it has been a while since I did anything so formal,” she told Tord honestly. “I would appreciate help from someone with your experience if you do not mind.”

By the end of the day, a report of the errant steeds and their market adventures had been sent on to the Marshals though it lacked a certain equine perspective on the merits of tasty herbs and little girls with apples as well as the dangers that lurked in the shouty lady’s shop of sharp objects and dead things.

Knight of The Mark
THE MARKET IS CLOSED

Head on over to the new marketplace - Se Riddermarket of Mettarë Joy