Life in the Mark III (Free RP)

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Ent Ancient
Lailyn (Private)
At home, New Town, Edoras

Spring was well underway by the time Lailyn returned to Edoras after the successful expedition in the mountains. After stabling Fairmane, she made her way to the little cottage she called home, ready for a hot bath and time to rest her aching body.

Beorn raced in ahead of her, tail wagging, and proceeded to sniff every inch of the house as if entering for the first time all over again. Even after their long journey and time in the mountains, he was still as full of energy as the first day she brought him home. Nymlac relaxed on the couch, feet outstretched on a stool, and a smoldering fire roared in the hearth.

“You’re home!” She greeted Nymlac. “And the house is still in one piece.”

“Mostly. You know that hole was there before I got here.” He gestured at the hole in the wall looking into her bedroom.

She laughed. “I know. How have you been?”

“Good. I could get used to this place, you know. Your house is so much nicer than mine…What’s your secret?” He released a satisfied sigh. “This couch!” He rubbed his palm across the cushions and lolled back. “I never want to get up.”

She blinked at him, then slyly teased, “It has cushions. That helps a bit.”

Nymlac rolled his eyes. “Oh, very funny. Yes, I’ve never heard of cushions before.”

“Thank you for looking after the house for me. Have you gotten up to much while I’ve been away?”

“I’ve been very busy, actually!” He suddenly sat forward as though he’d been dying for her to ask.

“Oh?” Lailyn smirked. “Who is she?”

Her cousin scowled. “No one, thanks for the reminder...” As if to console him, Beorn scampered over and Nymlac scratched him between the ears. “I’ve started a sort of…business.”

“A business?” She repeated tentatively, thick with disbelief.

“Yes. Where everyone else saw tragedy and disaster after Auld Town burned last summer, I saw opportunity.” His blue eyes shone with pride.

“Oh.” Lailyn braced herself, sure he was up to no good, and collapsed on the seat beside him, leaning her head back and running her hands through her knotted hair. “What did you do?” She asked wearily.

“I’ve discovered investing!” He proclaimed. “It’s like gambling but better. I’ve already made a tidy profit from forestry and rebuilding. I’m looking into some mines next…but I can’t give away all my secrets, seeing as how much you love to talk to everyone.”

“I see…”

There was certainly a change in him. The apathy that plagued him for years was replaced with a new energy and his eyes, so often glossy, were clear and sober. Her enthusiasm was guarded, hemmed in by chilling questions. How far would he go to profit? In a drought, would he dam a river to sell water? In a famine, would he stockpile grain and build a mansion from starving families desperate for food?

“So, tell me.” He glanced at her, serious and poised, hands folded neatly in his lap. “What did you do in Laketown?”

“What?” She asked sharply, the question catching her off-guard. And that look in his eyes–- he knew something. But how? “Why? What did you hear?”

“I didn't hear anything. You got a very interesting letter while you were away…”

“You read my letters?!” She exclaimed in outrage, bolting to her feet. “Nymlac!” she scolded.

“Well, I was busy, but I also got bored hanging around here waiting for you to come back…I couldn’t resist!” He held out his hands as if trying to claim some innocence. “Lailyn, my golden-sweet bee-keeping cousin, caught in a scandal– Who knew! So?” He leaned closer and raised his eyebrows at her. “Do tell.”

Cold, icy composure replaced the hot anger thundering in her ears. “Where is it? Give me the letter, Nymlac. Now.

⭐

Ent Ancient
Lailyn (Private)
At home, New Town, Edoras

Nymlac’s cane clacked across the wooden floor as he hastened to retrieve the letter, spurred by the uncharacteristic anger underlying Lailyn’s tone. She followed him, fingers burning to have the letter in her hands, mind racing with possibilities, each one more awful than the last. And the worst situation imaginable circled and circled like a vulture scavenging on her buried guilt: what if she had ruined a family and left behind nothing but pieces of broken hearts like shattered glass?

Finally, after what felt like a lifetime but was only a few anxious moments, her cousin handed it over. Her hands trembled and she fumbled to unfold it. Just when she had finally forgiven herself and moved on, she held another cruel reminder of her error in her scarred hand. Before she unfurled the parchment, she drew a deep breath. It was time to face whatever it said but she was not at all prepared for the words it contained. Not in a thousand worries had she ever imagined this...

If you don’t want your friends and everyone in Edoras to know what you did, and what you are, you will send us one-third of your earnings within one months’ time. We hear you are in the King’s favor now, afterall, and can surely afford to pay our tithe.

We wish you the best in your beekeeping business...your success is our success now! How appropriate honey is for one so sweet as you, dear Lailyn. It would be such a shame if everyone found out the truth, don’t you think?

Sincerely,

Your friends in Laketown

Your friends in Laketown– it was clear who they were. Her head spun as she read it, as the realization slowly dawned. Davin and Arna had written this. Together. To blackmail her.

Lailyn released the letter as if it was on fire, burning her fingertips, and it drifted onto the kitchen table as she sank into a chair. Slumped forward, she held her head in her hands. The wound that ached so deeply after she left Laketown had faded and healed. Now, a new ache left her heart hollow and cold, to know she had been lied to from the start, manipulated, and played for a fool.

“What am I going to do?” She uttered at last, peeling her hands from her face.

“You can’t pay them,” Nymlac reasoned, sitting in the other chair. “You’ll just give them exactly what they want.”

Scowling, she held up the letter at him. “I don’t really have much of a choice. You read it, didn't you?”

Nymlac took the letter from her grasp and folded it on the table, placing his palms atop the parchment. “Yes…but Lail, what happened? What did you do?”

”Promise you won’t tell anyone,” she mumbled.

He shrugged. “Who would I even tell?”

“Promise me,” she urged him.

“Alright. You have my word, whatever you tell me will stay between us.”

She closed her eyes and started at the beginning. It reminded her of their childhood when the two of them and her brother traded secrets and always confided in one another, whether it was who accidentally left the chicken coop open at night for the foxes to raid or who their first kiss had been under summer starlight or snowflaked skies. The three of them had been a team, always sharing both punishment and praise and everything in between. After her brother died and after she left the Mark and returned home, nothing had been the same.

Nymlac barely batted an eyelash the entire time and he didn’t interrupt once. “Oh, Lail,” he sighed. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but they really couldn’t have picked a more perfect person.”

“That is not helpful!” She glared at him and groaned. “I knew I shouldn’t have told you…”

Nymlac tapped his fingers on the table. “Do you want to know what I really think?” She nodded. “You’re practically in the crowns’ back pocket. You just led an expedition for them! Everyone knows you and they know what kind of person you are. No one is going to believe some salacious rumor from Laketown, of all places. I mean, what a backwater! Especially if you don’t pay them, hold your head high and go on as if nothing has happened.”

“I didn’t lead it. I just helped,” she muttered, kneading her forehead. “I don’t think I can do that…It’s just– if I pay them, I could lose everything I’ve worked so hard for if I don’t earn enough. If I don’t pay them, I could lose everything anyway. Who’ll buy from me knowing what I’ve done? They won’t want anything to do with me. There’s no way for me to win but I don’t want to lose. I don’t want to be a victim.”

“Then don’t be. I’m sure we can figure something out between the two of us. I know we haven’t seen eye to eye lately, and you were right– I’ve been…well, I haven’t been well. Let’s skip the tear-filled apologies and drama and be friends again. And whatever happens, whatever you decide, I’ve got your back.”

“I’d like that.” She took his hand in hers and held it before sliding the letter free and tearing it in two. “And if there’s a way to fight back, I’m going to try.”

She would not be made to feel powerless ever again. She would throw away her self-doubt and regret and take a chance to stand up for herself. She was not a wise scholar or a renowned warrior or noble land-owner. She was Lailyn the beekeeper. And that was enough.

Child of Gondor
Orlin Alarion
Somewhere in the fields of Rohan - Autumn
@Rillewen

When Blaise held his hand out to shake, Orlin didn’t hesitate to shake it as he smiled wide to have made a new friend.
His new friend seemed excited to find better rocks so agreed to go with him which made Orlin happy. When he started to gather his rocks Orlin quickly lent a hand and stuffed some in his own pockets. “I’ll carry this for you.” He offered as he picked up the horse and knight. He stood straight and motioned for him to follow. “Come on, it’s not far.”

He lead the way, skipping over a few larger rocks but he made sure to wait for Blaise to catch up. He didn’t want to lose him. “I found some very bright yellow ones and shiny blue ones the other day. My Mother says I can’t bring them all home though. I have quite the collection already she says.” He stated to Blaise stopping and looking back at him.

Once he’d caught up he pointed to a stand of trees not far. “Over there! At the base of those trees!” He was excited to show his new friend. Once walking by his side he looked over at him and grinned. “Would you like an apple? I have two but you can have one if you like.” He fished one out of the pocket that didn’t hold the rocks from the stream. “We can sit and eat our apples under those trees if you like or just start looking for the pebbles. You chose.” He smiled.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Blaise's pockets wouldn't hold a lot more, and he was starting to frown as he wondered what he'd do. Thankfully, Orlin offered to take some of the stones for him, and he smiled. "Thanks!" Though, when Orlin picked up the knight and horse, Blaise's eyes widened a little in worry, and he instinctively held out his hands for them. "No, I want 'em." It wasn't that he thought Orlin would steal his toys, but they were the only things he'd been able to take from home, and had been his favorite toys for as long as he could remember. If he lost them, it might just be the worst thing in the whole world to ever happen!

Only when Blaise had the toys in his hands did he go along with the other boy, and then was happy to see these new rocks he told about. Yellow rocks? Shiny blue ones too!? His eyes were round with wonder at the thought of such rocks, trying to imagine pretty blue rocks, or yellow rocks, like the dandelions whose leaves he'd been munching on earlier. That reminded him how hungry he was, but hurried to keep up with Orlin, listening to him talk about his collection, but he had much shorter legs and so wasn't able to keep up as well with his new friend. With one hand holding his pocket to keep any rocks from falling out, Blaise ran to catch up to Orlin when he heard him call out 'over there!'. Looking curiously at the base of the tree, Blaise was excited to see the rocks, but then the mention of an apple quickly took over his attention. Apples!

Temporarily forgetting about the rocks, Blaise nodded eagerly when asked if he'd like one. "Yes!" Then remembered a second later, "Please..." His stomach gave a little growl, as if in anticipation of the fruit. He'd always loved apples, ever since he could remember. Which was like, most of his life! He was so hungry, he wouldn't even care if there wasn't anyone to cut it up into wedges like usual, although it would have been easier to eat that way. He missed having apples, and could hardly wait to enjoy one again, not to mention getting something more yummy and filling to eat than a few leaves.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Chief Counsellor of Gondor

Introducing ‘Elspeth’. When she was still 'Someone Else'
In a village of the Westfold. Many years ago ..
@Rillewen

If she concentrated, really hard, on how beautiful it was then she might be able to forget that it was likely going to kill her. The endless white. It had pursued her, corrupting the plush green pastures that she had set her heart upon. The childish idea that she could be self-sufficient here, and somehow raise up food out of the earth like it was magic. Other people managed it, she knew. So why not her ? Something to do with the barren bone-hues of winter. The ground which she had supposed would be soft beneath her feet was hard as cobbled stone. Efforts to scratch at the earth and unveil some bounty had resulted in only bloodied fingers. Her long dark hair was wet and heavy from the relentless plague of snow that dripped from everywhere above, as though the endless sky was thawing. The very air which she breathed in, was coated in a sleek polish of unseen shivers, and they ran about her insides now, that there should be no place left untouched.

She had held such plans, to see all of the places that her life had not yet touched. Anything but what she'd known. Anywhere but where she'd been. It was not beyond her, the irony, that she had come to the one effigy of stone in the entire wooden village. A mighty sculpted statue of some man upon his horse now stood over her like he was Orome. There were no words provided to explain who else he was, but the stoic features suggested protection, which the greater heft of his make-up had managed to provide. She had huddled under his horse as best she could. And although the wind ran through her little wall-less lair, it might be enough. Since she was likely to die in not too long at all; a second unidentified figure, frozen forever in time. It was likely that at least somebody would notice her remains, in the middle of their village, at the foot of this, their centrepiece. There would be no words provided to explain who she had been either. But they would find the baby, bundled up in her arms, bundled up in all that she could spare of hers to keep him. He was as much the reason she was still here, as she was the reason he was at all.

If she concentrated really hard, on how beautiful he was, then she might be able to forget that it would be simply easier to die. Somehow she didn’t ..
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
@Someone Else

Aérlyn - Village healer
Several years ago

The world lay in a blanket of white. Winter held the little village in its grip, reluctant to let go. It was a day of great sorrow for Aerlyn. The snow crunched underfoot as she departed from the village hall, wondering how this tragedy could have happened. Aerlyn had grown weary of the other villager's offering their sympathy, condolences, and talking about how brave her son was. How brave he was, indeed. She didn't need anyone to tell her that. They had been outnumbered by the Dunlending raid, yet he, her son, had stood against them with only a few men at his side, stirred into action by his words and leadership. He had given his life defending the rest of them, and though she suffered the grief of his loss, she was more proud of him than she'd ever thought possible. Still. A mother ought not have to bury her son. The paths of her tears was still wet on her cheeks, leaving streaks of cold on her face, as Aerlyn trudged through the snow, head bowed in grief as she made her way back toward her home on the outskirts of the small, quiet village.

But the village was not entirely quiet. A sound suddenly pierced through the silence, and at the same time pierced her heart. A baby's cry? Why was there a baby crying? Everyone in the village was back there at the hall. The woman paused and looked around, bewildered. Surely, no one would have left an infant outside in this weather. There weren't many people here who had infants, for that matter. A frown deepened on her face as she altered her course toward the sound. The cries were more persistent now, mixed with hoarse coughing. Not just an infant, but a sick infant. Wiping her cheeks, the healer hastened her steps, casting her gaze around in search of the source of this heart-wrenching sound, and finally stopped in astonishment as she spotted the figure huddled beneath the statue in the center of the village square. She had nearly missed it, and would have if not for the pitiful cries that came from the area.

Shocked, she wasted no time crouching beside the young woman. "Come, let's get you inside, quickly!" She spoke in the language of the Gondorians, seeing that the woman was clearly not a Rohirrim. Given the recent attack a few days prior, it might have been logical to suspect her as a Dunlending, due to the darker hair, but she doubted such a thing. This woman didn't have the same look as a Dunlending, but the healer didn't take much time to study the matter, anyway. She swiftly took off her own, fur-lined cloak and wrapped the warm garment insistently around the other woman's shoulders, giving her no chance to protest, in case she was one of those proud people who refused to accept charity. She managed a small smile, trying to show herself friendly, although it was difficult to smile with such a heavy heart.

"Come inside, please." She urged again. "It's much warmer. I'll get you some nice hot stew, and see if we can calm your little one." She held out a hand to help the woman, unsure whether she had the strength to rise, especially with her precious burden. Worried for the infant who continued to cry and cough, she wondered what could have happened to bring such a pair to this place, so far from what must have been home. But questions could wait; if she didn't get them warmed up soon, then she might not be the only mother grieving for her child...
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

The Woman who would come to call herself ‘Elspeth’.
Meeting Aérlyn In a village of the Westfold. Many years ago ..
@Rillewen

The frail mewling was more of a protest than she could speak for herself. And he had rather more right to the complaint, since he was an innocent party in all that had occurred. There were some who would say she had brought this on herself. But he ? She had not asked for him, any more than he had ever asked to be in such a sorry situation. But he was here, and she could not in all conscience walk away, not when he had needs. Not when she was all that he had. She might as well have though. For clearly she was incapable of providing his needs. Her own throat was that scratched and strained from calling out for aid, her hands that numb from banging at closed doors that she was forced to have eyes always on her baby to ensure he still was nestled in her grasp. Her face burned from the cold, the only feeling she now registered. And as sure as the tiny soul’s wretched cries assured her that he yet lived, they pierced her heart with sorrow that his every breath was so wracked with upset.

The motion then like a shadow which presented, close by, so sudden, that she recoiled first of all in alarm. But she was come too weary to resist. She did not know this woman, this stranger, who spoke for her salvation all the same. No suspicion. No insouciance. Simply unchecked support. Where did she come from ? How did she know ? Why would she help them ? The mother’s face was a catalogue of questions, wide eyed, as sheer warmth was nestled about her, without delay. There was a scent about the wrap, of open fires, and cooked meat, and all the manners of aroma which were reassuringly intoxicating. It was a far cry from the thin embroidered dress that clung like a wet leaf about the frozen woman’s form. She had once been so proud to spin and show off the way that it parasoled above her ankles. It had failed to provide of much worth in the cold, the snow, the rain, the cold ..

Clutching her more precious burden to her chest, there came the delicate balance of swaddling him for warmth against her, or stifling his already throttled cries and spasmed chest. But drawing out, in wonder and confident of this chance, might be the only chance she’d get, might be the only chance he had .. she faltered on the scuffed shoes that were designed for walking with a satisfying clatter to pronounce them over polished cobbles .. They were mud stained, soaked through clods of heavy cold now … and her leg was cramped from how close she had huddled underneath the mighty horse. A very real hand was offered, was employed, to save from a small slip on rising. And then the two women stood afront to one another.

You have a fair smile,” the Gondorian acknowledged, her thin voice a mere scratch over the battle that her small son was still fighting in her arms. His tiny lungs throwing out small bursts of panicked breath that would not be forgotten, his mother caught at the shawl she had cast to serve him for a cocoon. As though it were expected to show concern, she cooed once at her child but frowned as it failed to soothe him any, and considered the kind woman with sad eyes, and pale hair. With a small and now silent nod, she made her choice. It would appear that the fates had made theirs.
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Aérlyn - Village healer
Several years ago

"Come inside, it's too cold out here to stand around talking," Aerlyn steadied the woman as best she could, and kept an arm around her as they crossed the square. It was quite cold out here, and she didn't like being out in it for just a few moments without a wrap. She could hardly imagine what it must be like for these two, nor how long they might have been in the cold already. The healer hastened them toward her home, a simple little cabin with a thin stream of smoke drifting up from the chimney. "Careful of the ice," She warned softly as they reached the steps onto the porch, a pang of sorrow hitting her once again. Her son would have shoveled the snow and done away with the ice for her, but... he couldn't. Not anymore.

Warmth enveloped the women as they entered the little cabin, and soon Aerlyn had shut the door against the frigid world outside. She guided her guest to the little fireplace where she could get closer to the heat, and took a quick moment to assess the pair. "I'll get you a cup of something hot in a moment, but first, let me check you and your baby." She was worried about frost bite, and was gathering blankets as she spoke. "Can you feel your fingers or toes? How long have you and the baby been outside in this weather?" She frowned in concern. After a brief pause, she added, "I'm Aerlyn, by the way." She gave her name, not expecting the woman to be in any state of mind yet to give hers. But it might be comforting to her, to hear the name of the woman who was helping her and her child. "I'm a healer," She added, for further reassurance.

Ushering the woman toward a chair near the fire, she fussed for a moment with getting some blankets tucked in around her patient, while also trying to check how cold her skin felt, and get a look at her hands to check for signs of frost bite, and so forth. But she was more immediately concerned by the baby, since it might be at more risk. "May I take a look at the baby?" She inquired in a gentle tone, holding out her arms once she had a blanket around the woman. After a second she added, "I fear the poor thing may have more than a cough. And I want to be sure that the cold hasn't affected it too badly." She explained, unsure whether it was a boy or a girl, yet. The poor infant was, at last, wrapped in a shawl, but it didn't seem like nearly enough bundling to keep out the cold that had been plaguing the village for the last couple of months.

Elspeth’. Seeking sanctuary. With Aérlyn
In a village in the Westfold. Many years ago ..
@Rillewen

It was a strange state of affairs, to be so mothered. Her, with an infant in arms, being babied herself. She had known women who thought they knew best for her before now. She had grown impatient with them in the end, ungrateful, exhausted. Defiance threatened for a glimmer of one moment, tightening her grip upon the child, possessively. Before she relaxed. Before she relented. Maybe they had all been right, in the end. She had not been accomplishing some stellar job after all. Almost seeing them both to their end. She was not so fool to see she was not good at this. She was not so stubborn anyway that she could afford to be stupid.

The home reared up before them, the door .. fell away ? She glanced about her, in some wonder, as their saviour led them through that portal. The leaving of that wintry cold world now behind, so eagerly forgotten in the contrast of this new, this warm, this hope. Urged into a seat beside the fire, she lowered her precious bundle to rest more upon her lap. Somehow it was the lessening of their little load which allowed her to realise, how tired her arms were. Blankets were gathered about her, the fire roared in it’s hole, and she allowed a sigh. She leaned back. Assurances were made. Assistance offered. And then .. encouragement ..

He wouldn’t feed. He fussed.” It was a small voice, and she scarcely would have known it to be hers. It was easier to tell the tale, when she kept brown eyes upon the dear himself. As she had long talked to him as though he might understand. Although she knew he could not reply. “And then he cried,” the disheartened parent admitted. “And then he coughed when he tired so from the crying. I tried to comfort him. But .. ” she paused, dangling one thin wrist where a golden bracelet jerked it’s chain of stars into a dance above the little boy. It had used to soothe him. At the start. It had always worked. Before. Until it did not. Slowly, she stilled. The child did not. He coughed and he cried and one tiny arm jerked free of the shawl. “He is so cold,” she lamented. As might a child herself, that can not do as it wants. “He used to smile,” she endeavoured to convince the Rohir. The Healer. “And I can not ..

Closing her eyes, tears emerged as explanation for the mother’s sudden silence. Until .. “Help him.” Even tired arms thrust forth their precious bundle, with a speed and strength that were surprising. For all that the stranger seemed else so frail. “Please. Aérlyn. I have no ..

Her words faltered as her neck fell slack. She fainted where the chair and blankets barely held her up. And the infant lurched in the oblivious arms towards the threat of tumbling down to the floor. If no one would catch him first.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Aérlyn - healer of the village Wyndhorne
Several years ago

It was fortunate that she had her arms already held out, in the hope that the young mother would not refuse to turn her child over to the healer. As Aerlyn saw the woman beginning to faint, she swiftly lunged forward and caught the baby as his mother slumped over. Snuggling him close, Aerlyn shifted him to one side, and with her free hand, did her best to shift the mother into a more comfortable position in her chair, and finished by covering her with a blanket. Once assured that she would be alright there, near the warmth of the fire, the healer turned her full attention toward the baby.

He was cold, and so it was no wonder he wouldn't stop crying. But she suspected there was more, perhaps a sickness. His cough didn't sound good, and that concerned her. She guessed him to be somewhere between one year and two, but with his mother fainted, she couldn't ask his exact age. Getting him warm and fed was her first concern, so she settled down near the fire with the infant in her lap, a cup of broth from the stew nearby. She offered him a spoonful, trying to coax him to take it, while keeping him sitting up in her lap. It was important to get liquids into him, first of all. Warm liquids.

As his mother said, he was crying and coughing too much to want the broth, although she felt sure that part of his reason for crying was because he was hungry. After a bit of thought, she went and got a jar of honey, and offered him a spoonful. It would help soothe his throat, and perhaps calm him with the sweet taste. And so for some time after, the healer did her best to care for the infant, to coax him to take some food and warm broth. He was old enough to be eating a few soft foods, so she offered him that. She fished out several carrots from the pot of stew and mashed them up for him. Milk was surely not enough for him, which may be part of why he kept crying, as it seemed clear that the woman had no food for herself, let alone for the baby. And, if she had not enough food for herself, Aerlyn thought, the mother may no longer have any milk to give her son.

Eventually, after working tirelessly for a long while, Aerlyn sat gently rocking as the small child slept at last, perhaps worn out from all the coughing and crying. He was no longer at the border of hypothermia, and had eaten as much as he would of the mashed up carrot she offered, and had drunk a fair amount of the broth. Once he seemed to be sleeping peacefully, resting his little throat at last, the healer gently laid him on another chair, bundled into warm blankets, and then turned her attention, finally, toward checking on the mother.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Child of Gondor
Orlin Alarion
Somewhere in the fields of Rohan
W/ Blaise
@Rillewen

Once Orlin had picked up the horse and knight and was looking at it Blaise wanted them and took them back. Orlin wasn’t sure what that was about but it didn’t bother him either so he just shrugged. He seemed afraid to lose them. If that were the case he understood. He had favorite toys too.

He lead him to his favorite place and smiled when Blaise wanted one of his apples. He quickly handed it over and with the one in hand he skipped over toward the tree while he took a big bite out his own apple. “See..there.” He pointed towards the waters edge.

There they were, in the crystal clear shimmering water where the yellows and blues he’d promised. “Let’s eat our apples first, I don’t want to lose mine in the water again.” He chuckled at the memory. “So..”He took another big bite of his apple as he found a good place to sit. “I’d like to see your rock collection. I bet it’s better than mine.”
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Blaise eagerly started on the apple as soon as it was in his hand, and wandered along after Orlin, clutching his knight and horse. "These're my brother's, and my sister's, 'fore they were mine." He told the older boy, between bites of his apple. "And our father's, 'fore that." Because of this, his knight was special. His brother and sister had told him many great stories about the adventures this knight had been in, while he was theirs. Unfortunately, he couldn't really remember very many of those stories now, but he wished he did.

Despite having to bite around a slightly loose tooth, Blaise's apple was already shrinking as the hungry boy bounced over to see the pretty yellow and blue stones. His eyes widened at the sight of them. "Wow!" He didn't really pay attention to the suggestion that they finish the apples first, and started toward the pretty rocks to see them better. But then Orlin asked him a question and he stopped. "What's a click shun?" He wondered, tilting his head curiously. "Is it something to hold the rocks in? I only have my pockets. But I was gonna take these to show Maewen."

Child of Gondor
@Rillewen

Orlin

Orlin decided to trail along after Blaise as they made their way to the waters edge. He stood there munching on the apple as Blaise was excited to see the rocks. He wasn’t really interested himself, he’d seen them many times and had many at home.
Blaise didn’t know what a collection was so Orlin explained. “My mother calls it something I have too many of…or something like that. “ He shrugged. “Who’s Maewen?” He asked around the last of the apple. He chewed as he tossed the core aside.

Now he join Blaise in the rock hunt. His blue eyes searching for just the right rock. Finding it he dipped his hand in the water and pulled out a nice sky blue rock. “That’s a keeper right there.” He stated, proud of his find.

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

"Oooh that's pretty!" Blaise grinned, standing on tiptoe as he looked at the pretty blue stone Orlin had found. His apple was gone by now, nibbled down to the very last bits of the core. He followed the example of his new friend, and threw the core off into the bushes. His stomach felt better at least. For now he was happy, and content to stay out playing for a long time now. "I wanna find one like yours." He decided, reaching into the water to pick up some of the pretty blue rocks, hoping to find one that was the same sky blue color as Orlin's.

"Maewen's takes care of me." He answered the older boy's question. "We went on a 'vencher. But she won't tell me why only us could come." He frowned. "She went away to get food and stuff, and I was s'posed to stay in the house til she got back. But then I got tired of waiting. She's been gone ages and ages," He frowned and hugged the knight and horse. "I miss Mommy and Daddy, but I don't know how to get back home without Maewen."

Elspeth’. with Aérlyn
In a village in the Westfold. Many years ago ..
@Rillewen

Had she slept ? A person slept in order to rest, and when she woke she felt still exhausted. But she felt too .. warm. Dry. She could not recall the last time she had enjoyed such simple luxuries. Her thin dress had loosed it’s clinging damp, encouraged by the crackling fire that had watched over her unwoken hours. The heavy weight of wet hair had released it’s moisture also, curling slightly now about the woman’s brow. Large brown eyes fluttered and found a far kinder world than the one she had last laid sight upon. And the stranger, her saviour was come to see that she still drew breath.

For a moment the silence was a blessing, the absence of pained agonising distress .. and then the explanation dawned upon this new state of being. Her baby. Her son. Where was he ? Why was he no longer crying, coughing, suffering ?

He is gone,” she realised, a deeper meaning plaguing thoughts as she caught at the Rohir healer’s arm. He had saved her, she realised, with all of his fussing and squalling. The baby had raised the alarm. “It ought to have been me,” she lamented then, sitting up some only to thrust a palm of determined hand against each eye to keep from showing her upset. Slight shoulders quaked some from the sorrow all the same, from the relief, from .. it all at once. It was too much all at once. It had been too much now for too long.

And yet over never came to bring an end to it.

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
Melahny & horse
Outside Edoras

Melahny walked down the mountain of Edoras to her Uncle Wulf's ranch. It was set at the foot of the mountain, just outside the gates as he needed to utilize the large fields of Rohan for his horses (and to conduct riding lessons). Melahny missed the old ranch, which had once been co-owned by her father and his best friend, Wulf. 'Uncle Wulf,' as Melahny called him, was not a blood relation, so it was more of an honourary title. But now Wulf was the only family member she had left, both her parents having passed away in her youth. Melahny had not remained in Rohan to work on the horse ranch with Wulf--she had gone travelling and now she was not only a skilled horsewoman, but also a herbalist and experienced travelling merchant. She sold trinkets, herbs, and poultices, but she mostly lived off the land. After coming home for the Spring Festival and to purchase one of Rohan's quality horses, she was now ready to depart to Gondor, where she would start off her trading for the year.

'Mel, come an' have a look at this,' Wulf called from the fields as she approached the ranch. Melahny jogged over to where Wulf was standing, next to his stable, with her new horse saddled and tacked up.

'Wow, that's a fine saddle, Wulf--but it's certainly not mine. I had an old one somewhere here...'

'No, this is a gift for you--'

'Uncle! No, let me trade you something for it.'

'I won't be taking anything for it. It's a gift so take it or ride bareback,' Wulf said sternly, handing Melahny the reins. 'Try it out, won't ya?'

Melahny sighed. Wulf could have fetched a nice price for that saddle, and he was just giving it away to her! 'Wulf, I can buy a saddle, you don't have to--'

'I'll try it then,' Wulf put his foot in the stirrups.

'No way, this is my horse! Move over,' Melahny and Wulf laughed as she got on her new mare. The mare had a rich, silky chocolate coloured coat, with a light blond tail and mane.

'You look beautiful together,' Wulf said cheerily.

Melahny smiled, pleased with her choice of stead. It had been a few years since she'd had a Rohirrim stead to travel with regularly. For the past few years she'd borrowed or rented horses from different townships, but often had to sell or return them--not all terrain she travelled was suited to horses. Sometimes she needed to cross a large body of water, go under a mountain pass, or through forest areas that had no trails. But Wulf had agreed to board her mare if she ever needed, and she did need a reliable horse to move through the plains of Rohan to Gondor.

'Now what shall ye name her?' Wulf asked.

'I don't know!' Melahny exclaimed as they cantered around a bit. 'Have you got any ideas?'

'Hmm, I'll have a think on it,' Wulf said, sitting down to whittle a wooden horse figure.
And whither then? I cannot say...

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler
Prepping for a journey - late September

It was like a dream come true for Xyler. Ever since meeting the two Gondorians the spring before last, and hearing Unalmis speak about the White City, Xyler had wanted to go and see it for himself. Actually, his desire went a little deeper than that. His grandmother had told him that his mother came from Gondor, and so he had always thought it would be nice to go there someday and see where she was from. But he'd never quite expected to actually get a chance to go. Much less for a lengthy period! A year seemed like forever to spend in a new place, far from home, and while he was excited about going, at the same time he was a bit nervous and felt sure he would miss home tremendously. Still, it was an opportunity he would not pass up. And anyway, he suspected the year would fly by and he'd be back home before he knew it.

Considering the young man's lack of fighting skills, someone had, fortunately, decided it would be best to assign a guard to oversee his journey, and ensure his safe arrival to the White City. So, Xyler was a bit nervous about what to expect there. Some stern old cavalry man who'd resent being signed some lowly escort job? Or some new recruit without any idea what they were doing? Or perhaps some soldier who would criticize his inability to fight? Or, well he had no idea what to expect, really. He'd heard plenty of comments like that back home, and could do without that. Trying to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything, Xyler checked the last of his bags were secure on his horse. He did have a dagger which had belonged to his father, but he kept it stowed on the saddle, where it was not easily seen. Just in case.

It was not only the furthest journey Xyler had ever made from home, but Dusty as well. Xyler had only recently begun learning ride the animal that he had acquired for a bargain, and was not only a little nervous about that, but also apprehensive about being criticized for his lack of riding skills by this cavalry person, when they arrived. "Well, I guess it's time to meet our escort," He muttered to the horse, rubbing Dusty's neck lightly. "Let's hope we all get along, huh?" He assumed the escort would probably have a horse of their own, and hoped that it would get along well with Dusty. After ensuring that all was secure, he took a deep breath and paused to look around at what had become home. It was hard to imagine it would be a full year before he returned, but he was excited for the adventure ahead. Leading his horse along, Xyler set off toward the cavalry area where he was to meet the assigned escort.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
Joining Xyler for some adventure, late September
@Rillewen

A duty was assigned to Hadassa, something others might frown at but she saw as an excellent opportunity, and so it seemed to have worked out well for everyone. She had been informed that she'd have to escort a healer apprentice to Mundburg, and it became known that the said healer apprentice was Xyler. She had said nothing to him even when she knew of the fact in advance. Instead, she had taken to proper preparations.

While Hadassa had not gone heavy on food provisions, mostly just enough to get by if they did not manage to find something additional on the way, she had paid attention to having other things necessary for survival - a kit for starting fire, ropes for building a shelter or for other useful purposes, a longsword and a shortbow with a quiver filled with arrows, an additional blanket added in among her usual bed things, and a couple bandages, though she assumed Xyler would be much more prepared in this aspect.

She had made sure that her chestnut mare Sugar was all groomed and ready for travel, and, when the time was right, she led the horse out of the stables, saddled and packed. When she spotted Xyler, she headed in that direction and made as if she was about to pass him by, but then she stopped and called out at him: "Oy, Xyler! Where are you off to? Joining Cavalry perhaps?"

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler

The stables was where he'd been instructed to wait for his escort, and it didn't really take much effort to discover it. The smell would have guided him there, if nothing else did. As he approached the structure, he spotted a figure leading a horse from it. And, to his further surprise, he recognized her once she was a bit closer. He waved to get Hadassa's attention, grinning as they drew nearer to each other.

"Hello!" He greeted her, and laughed lightly at what she had called. "No, not joining. I'm supposed to meet someone here, who is to be my escort for a journey," he informed her, excitement lighting up his blue eyes. "I'm going to Minas Tirith, Hadassa!" He remembered, a little belatedly, that she might be jealous of this opportunity, and made an effort to tone down his excitement as much as he could. "I mean, it's meant to be a sort of training program, expand my healer skills or some such thing, so I'm sure I'll be too busy for much sightseeing..." He added, trying not to invoke too much jealousy on her part.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Several years ago

The baby had finally dozed off some time ago. After checking on her other patient, Aerlyn had found her fast asleep. So, she tucked the blanket in around her a bit better, put another piece of wood on the fire, and went to put on a pot of tea for when she woke. After that, it was only a matter of waiting for the young woman to return to consciousness. There were many questions racing through Aerlyn's mind, wondering about her patient. Where did she come from? How was it she had managed to find this place in the midst of such arctic weather? And how did she and her son manage to survive it? Another thing she wondered, was, was it truly a coincidence that this woman, and her infant son, had appeared almost on Aerlyn's doorstep, the very day that Aerlyn had lost her own son?

Sighing softly, she sipped broth from the stew while she waited. She didn't much feel like eating, but knew she ought to have something. And so, broth it was. She'd save the more hearty parts for the woman, in hopes it would help her recover from whatever ordeal had brought her here in such a state.

"He is gone,"

Though quiet, the mournful words were almost startlingly loud in the otherwise quiet cabin. The only sound had been the gentle crackle of the fire for at least an hour now. Aerlyn looked at her guest, frowning as the rest of her thoughts spilled out. Ought to have been her? Realizing what the poor mother must believe, Aerlyn's heart nearly broke for her, and she hastily set down her mug of broth. "Oh, no dear," She swiftly assured her in a whisper, rising from her rocking chair near the fireplace. She came to sit next to the woman, resting an arm around her quaking shoulders. "He's only asleep, I promise." With one hand pointing to the bundle on the chair, Aerlyn directed her attention toward the sleeping infant. "See? Sleeping peacefully, at last. Best not to wake him though," She added in a whisper. "He needs plenty of rest, poor thing. Took a long while to get him to doze off. But he's warmer now, and his belly's satisfied. He'll be just fine."

She offered a reassuring smile, and her tone became a bit more businesslike, though she still spoke in a near whisper. "As for you," She added, focusing once again on the mother. "You ought to follow his example, and get something warm and filling in your own stomach." She lightly squeezed the young woman's shoulders, in a motherly sort of hug, before rising. "I have some stew here. That ought to warm you up nicely. And once you've eaten, you can tell me how you ended up here in Wyndhorne." She filled a bowl with the steaming broth, ensuring that a good portion of meat and vegetables filled the bowl. "Here, eat up, you'll feel better for it." She promised, holding out the bowl for the woman to accept.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen

"What? Minas Tirith?" Hadassa's brown eyes went big, though she found it difficult to contain her amusement at the same time. "Don't tell me you are going to spend the whole time cooped up in their healing quarters! And an escort needed, eh..."

She turned to her horse and fumbled with the saddle bags for a while to fish out half a carrot which she promptly offered to her horse. For a few moments she silently watched Sugar munch the treat, and then could no longer contain herself.

"Well, Xyler, why don't we get going already?" she said turning to him and laughed heartily. "Guess what? I received orders to escort you, and can spend some time there - they don't need me back right away."

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler

"Well, not the whole time, of course," Xyler answered, a little unsure how to reconcile his excitement with his desire not to invoke jealousy in his friend. For a moment a silence fell, as she focused on some of her packs, and Xyler took a moment to glance around for some soldier to come out to meet him. They should have been here by now, he thought, and wished someone had informed him of who he was looking for. If he knew the name of his escort, he thought he might ask Hadassa something about them, so he'd have a little warning of what to expect.

Hadassa's question both startled and puzzled him. Why don't they get moving? He opened his mouth to say something, but couldn't decide what he ought to say. And before he had a chance to think of anything, she proceeded to reveal her own news. Xyler's eyes widened, and a grin spread across his face. "Oh!" He exclaimed, with a little laugh. "Well, that's great! So, you're my escort!?" He could hardly believe it. What excellent luck! She would get her wish to travel and see the far-away White City, just like him!

"Well, in that case, let's go!" He grinned, thrilled by this turn of events. "Dusty is all ready, and so am I, I think." He waited to see whether Hadassa would mount right away, or begin the journey by walking, and would then follow her lead. "I wrote to Unalmis to let him know I'll be coming, but I didn't know you'd be coming, too." He informed her. "So, I suppose he can be surprised." He grinned as they set off. "I do hope you know where to go. I've only been to Gondor once before, and that was only on the other side of the mountains, near Erech." He explained. "From the way Unalmis and Eryn spoke, last Spring, it sounds like Minas Tirith is several days' journey away." He had packed a map, but he wasn't entirely sure that he would know how to find his current location on it, once they were away from familiar lands. Hopefully, they'd taught Hadassa something about that in the cavalry.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen

"Yes, well... I think others might not have cared much for this task, and when the opportunity was presented to me - how could I even resist?" excitement shone in Hadassa's eyes as she spoke joyfully. "What a better way to go about it than an official business, a good company, and fulfilment of a dream, all in one."

Turning to follow the street, the young woman led her horse at a leisurely walk meaning to warm up both herself and the horse. "I am not sure where I'll stay though, I might not have enough money for a lengthy stay at an inn," she then said with some anxiousness in her voice. "But perhaps it can be sorted once we arrive."

"Finding the way should not prove too difficult. I have received instructions and a map; also, once we set out along the main road south, it should be easy enough to simply follow it," she turned her attention to the specifics of travel. At any rate, it had not looked too difficult even though she had never travelled that far. "I think we can walk our horses out of the town and then set off riding. Also..." she glanced at Xyler sideways. "Do you have a set deadline for when you are to arrive? I don't think we can beat those four days the Cavalry took to ride to Mundburg's aid."

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler
Leaving for a journey - late September

"I'm very glad it came to you," Xyler grinned. "The whole way over here, I was worrying what sort of escort I was going to get, if they'd be mean or nice, or if they'd criticize me or be patronizing, or whatever..." He admitted, happy to lead his horse along as he and Hadassa walked together. "I'm also very glad you get to come along and see the White City! I was trying my best to not make you jealous," He laughed.

As the topic of lodgings was brought up, he tilted his head thoughtfully. "I haven't actually found that out, myself." He realized. "I mean, I probably should have asked someone whether that would be provided, or if I'd have to manage that myself. But... well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, right?" He grinned. "It's possible my living arrangements have been taken care of on their end, but I'll just have to ask when I arrive. I'm sure you can find something, though. Or, Unalmis might be able to help you find a good place."

Thinking a moment, he also had another idea. "If all else fails, didn't Eryn mention living on a farm? You might ask her if there's room to stay there, if you really need to. She seemed friendly enough, maybe she could help?" He was really not tremendously worried about lodging, but then he hadn't really done much of this traveling stuff before, and wasn't entirely sure how difficult it might be, nor how costly. He only hoped for the best.

"I'm glad you know the way," He smiled. "I've only learned a little of Gondor's geometry, but I hope to learn a great deal more as we travel." He said happily. "Do you have a route in mind?" He wondered, and considered the question she had asked. "With travel times being uncertain, they told me to leave about two weeks before I was expected to arrive," He answered. "Just in case of any mishaps, or if we need to rest, or want to explore.." He shrugged, and hoped that would allow enough time travel leisurely, maybe check out some of the sights, and still arrive in a timely fashion. "I have always wanted to have a chance to see more of Gondor," He mentioned. "My mother came from there, but I.. hardly remember her at all. I thought, maybe it'd be nice it I were to find someone who knew her... maybe I could learn more about her."

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen

"Oh, I would definitely be rather jealous!" Hadassa joined the laughter. "Though would not mind to hear all the stories either way at your return. But at least now I'll get to have adventures of my own - I don't suppose it would be boring, not if we spend any time together with Unalmis and Erynneth."

It appeared to Hadassa that Xyler was much less concerned about the logistical matters of their travel and stay in Minas Tirith, and she shook her head slightly, a grin on her lips. "Suppose you are right. We can't really do much about it from here either way so might as well just enjoy the journey itself. But... you are right. You will probably have healers settling you in, but I might not do well without the aid from our friends."

When Xyler asked about the route, she scratched her head thoughtfully and glanced at him. "Hmm. I thought we'll just follow the main road; otherwise, I'm not sure. Perhaps there might be something well worth taking a step off of it. To see one of the beacons, mayhaps? Though... I can't promise we wouldn't get lost in that case even though I know how to read maps and will make sure to keep an eye on it now and then to check how far we are." Her free hand tapped on a flat (as opposed to bulging saddle bags) leather bag which contained the map among other small things.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler

Xyler grinned. "Yes, I suspect we could have plenty of adventures to tell about, just along the way." He shrugged. "Wouldn't it be nice to be able to arrive, and have tales to tell our Gondorian friends?" He smiled at the idea, wondering though, what sort of adventures they might come across.

"I suppose you will have more time for adventures while I'm learning from the healers. But perhaps there'll be time for exploring somewhat. I don't know what sort of schedule I'll have to keep." he explained, but was excited nonetheless. Trying to imagine the landscape as Unalmis and Eryn had described it, he was sure there would be plenty of places to explore and things to do during off time.

Listening as Hadassa answered about the route she had in mind, he nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, we could do that," he shrugged. "Orrr," He smiled. "there is Wyndhorne pass, which would take us over to the mountains to the Gondor side, right away. And, then we would travel almost the entire way through Gondorian lands, and could see more of it. We might even pass several beacons, that way!" he suggested, posing the idea to her to see what she might think. "Unless you'd rather stick to the well-traveled road." He added with a shrug.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

@Rillewen

"You know..."
Hadassa said, keeping up the leisurely pace, which her mare did not mind - she used it to snatch up a mouthful of grass from the roadside now and then. "I would not mind any and all sort of adventures as long as it does not involve running into... my own kin. Even fighting off wolves would be better."

Her face darkened with held back emotions for a few moments as she thought of how her life had turned out to be, and she had ended up a Dunlending fighting against her own people. Even though she did not regret this and was happy to be among Rohirrim, it was not easy on her. Her people of origin would surely see her as traitor, and at the same time any trust here in Rohan came at a great price.

"Hmm," she murmured and glanced at Xyler with her eyebrow raised. "I am not instructed on that way, and I don't think my map includes all of Gondor's lands. What if we get lost somewhere along the way because we have no idea which direction we should be taking?" There was a note of doubt in Hadassa's voice, not because she was overly afraid and did not feel adventurous but because she felt she would betray her responsibility to make sure Xyler got to Minas Tirith in one piece should something happen on the way. "The one advantage is that you know the way to the Pass for sure, right?"

@Rillewen

The woman posing as ‘Elspeth’. Many years ago now
In the village of Wyndhorne. With Aérlyn

Shaking hands, softly encouraged away from stifling sorrow, allowed for brown eyes to find the kind face of the Rohir. And the meaning of her words. The stranger dared to trek that path of sight across the room, and lo, as promised, her baby. Sleeping, sound and satisfied. A breath, a smile escaped her. Relief.

You have done what I could not,” she acknowledged. The comfort of their caregiver’s arm snaked around her, like the warmth of a snapping fire. The touch of an embrace threatened to overwhelm, when thoughts struggled to recall, the last time she had known such a kindness. In this strange lost world. And then she remembered. Him.

Wyndhorne ..” the woman’s voice was dry and cracked, so that she coughed in hopes of better finding one she’d recognise. The small tremor shook her slight frame, and the woman rubbed her eyes anew. This time to see better what was promised. What she had in her most crazy of hopes, looked to find,and never quite believed until now. “This is Wyndhorne ?” she had to be sure, for it seemed too good to be true. Her voice now, and her spirit were improved.

He found what we were looking for,” she closed her eyes to smile. As though only one means of expression could be managed at once. She tried once to rise, and faltered. And found an offering of strength and hope pressed into her cold hands. The bowl, and all that it contained, all that it would mean for her, was regarded, with wonder. The stew burned, both the hands which balanced it in grasp, and the lips which raised the first morsel to tumble down her throat. But after the burn of cold which had seized the shivering pair, and held them for so long, this was a welcome sense. She had just woken, but she felt as though she really had.

A frown paused after a short moment, and the bowl came lowered to a lap which it might similarly thaw toward feeling. She did not deserve this. She had failed, where this woman could fulfil. She had struggled, where this woman could satisfy. She could not do all that she would, for her child, this child. And she had never asked for any of this.

But the fates work their ways, and they had made her their vessel. And he .. was all that mattered. So she would tell, whatever she had to. To ensure that he received all he was owed. “You are .. so kind,” she whispered, and offered their benefactor a most grateful look. Yes, follow the signs, and they will lead you. She always had. And she had doubted, but this was proof. “I must thank you,” she troubled, and considered all that had been offered. She would find a way. “You have been crying,” she observed. More quietly. The fact begged for answers, an exchange. For she would know more of the who would know more of her.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler

Glancing toward Hadassa as she began with 'you know...', Xyler listened and grew a bit more solemn as she spoke of her people of origin. "Yeah," he agreed quietly, frowning down at the ground as he thought of all his own previous experiences with those people. "But, I wouldn't call them 'your kin'," he mentioned. "You were raised as a Rohirrim, weren't you? That makes Rohan your people. And those who raised you are your family.. your kin, even if not by blood." He smiled slightly, trying to be encouraging, though also quite determined not to think of her as Dunlending.

However, that did make him think a bit about the route he had suggested. He took a moment without saying anything, while he considered the possibilities they might encounter. "I can't quite imagine us getting lost," he shrugged. "All we'd have to do is follow the pass through to the other side, then keep the mountains on our left while we travel along. But... your route, of course, would be the safest," He agreed after saying so. "There are occasionally raids on our village from the Dunlendings," He was reluctant to admit, but felt it necessary to inform her about. "Not terribly often, but it does happen now and then. And if we were to roam around in the mountains... well, it wouldn't be the safest route, but yes, I do know the way to the pass, easily."

"Still," He sighed. "I agree with you. I don't want to run into any of them again. Ever." He frowned for a moment as he remembered that harrowing experience some years ago. He shook his head, then tried to cheer up again. "I'm sure there's plenty of adventure awaiting us this way, though." He glanced at Hadassa with a slight smile. "Unless, of course, you feel daring and up for such possible danger?" He raised an eyebrow, then laughed lightly. "My grandmother would be thrilled if I stopped in to say hello and goodbye, before setting off for a year in a far away land.. but I leave the decision up to you, escort." He grinned.

@Ercassie

Several years ago

The way the young mother repeated the name of the village, left Aérlyn a bit curious. She spoke as if she had heard it before. As if she could hardly believe she were sat right here in the middle of that very place. Giving a small nod, the healer regarded her patient with curiosity. "Yes. Wyndhorne," She confirmed, thinking swiftly of possible explanations. Apparently, she had been seeking this place, which surprised her slightly. But perhaps... "Were you seeking to find Gondor?" Aérlyn wondered, half-assuming, based on the young woman's appearance. She looked Gondorian, anyway. And most people did not come this way unless they were taking the pass from one side to the other. "The pass will take you there, but you mustn't attempt it until you've had a chance to get properly rested and warmed. The little one needs time to recover from his cough, anyway." She warned her, fearing she might attempt to rush off eagerly to find whatever home they had, on the far side.

She smiled and nodded encouragingly toward the bowl. "You need to get your strength back." The healer reminded her. "For him," She glanced toward the infant. "But for yourself, too. If you aren't feeling up to eating, at least sip some of the broth. It'll help warm you better." She was quietly observing the woman's hands, checking for signs of frostbite, but from what she could see, she appeared fine. She just needed to get her core warmed a bit more, it seemed.

The woman's observation of her own tears caught Aérlyn by surprise. She had meant to wash her face, and all traces of tears, but with being so busy taking care of the baby, she'd forgotten. And then, more tears, silent ones, had slid down her face while she was staring into the fire, waiting while mother and child slept. For it had reminded her of her own baby, grown to adulthood only to be taken away. She'd sat through plenty of nights with him when he wasn't feeling good. Looking down at her lap for a moment, Aerlyn drew in a slow breath, trying to be strong. "Yes," She admitted softly. "The sorrow which you felt, for that brief moment upon waking... I have recently come to know that sorrow, myself."

She did not wish to speak of her own grief, and quickly tried to turn the subject toward healing. "Your son," She looked toward the baby. "He is a bit over a year old, yes? Not quite two?" She guessed, hoping to confirm her guesses. "Has he had this cough for long?" She asked, concerned about that. "And you, have you been coughing, or feeling ill, yourself? Aside from the cold and hunger?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

@Rillewen

"Well, yes... I would like to think I am of Rohirrim proper and all that, just that suspicious folk won't let me forget... I don't blame them though, just that my life is somewhat harder," Hadassa said, though she did not really want to sound as if she was complaining, and then decided other matters were better to be talked about. "Anyway..."

"Xyler," she said, pursing her lips in a small pout, though her eyes twinkled with contained laughter. "How is it that you put such a weighty choice on me, hmm? Between what seems to be an easy and safe route and one that seems more adventurous but possibly more dangerous as well, and likely somewhat longer."

She walked along in silence for a few moments, finding it difficult to choose, and then continued considering pros and cons. "When was the last time you were home? If your grandmother has not seen you for a good long while it might be good to visit. A year is a very long time, sort of. So you'd rather explore the mountains from the other side?"

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler

"Right," He nodded thoughtfully. "I can understand how that would be difficult." he frowned slightly. He, at least, had inherited his father's fair complexion and light hair, despite the darker hair and eyes that had belonged to his mother. It was easy to pass for being full Rohirric, for him. But Hadassa, obviously, did not have that option. "Surely, though, it helps if they hear you speaking Rohirric?" He hoped.

He glanced back at her when she spoke his name with a change of subject. A small smirk tugged at one corner of his mouth at the question. "Did I?" He asked innocently. "Well, what would you rather do? If you were just off on an adventure, not on an escort mission thing?" he asked, trying to come to some sort of decision about that, himself. He considered the following questions. How long since he'd been home? "A while," He admitted. "Last spring, you know, when we went there to my village with Unalmis and Eryn?" he asked. "I've only been back once since then, and that was a few months ago."

He looked down and kicked at a clump of grass along the way. "Thing is, the village does get attacked now and then by Dunlendings." He shrugged. "We've had people killed. Like.. my father." he said quietly. "And others taken captive. They've been a constant problem since long before I was born. So, while I think, and hope, that we'd be safe enough if we do go that route, I just want to give you fair warning that there is a possibility we could encounter them."

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
Heading towards Minas Tirith with Xyler
@Rillewen

"Ah, Xyler, I would surely head straight for more adventure, for the pass," Hadassa said, getting to the easier matter first. "But then again, the risk would only apply to myself, but now... I do have to make sure you get there in one piece. But perhaps I could deviate from my instructions, don't think detour is prohibited... and we could visit your grandma too."

When Xyler shared of how things have been back at his village, Hadassa stopped for a while and sought out his eyes sadness clearly visible in hers. "I'm sorry that you had to lose your father, and that they keep attacking," her voice carried a note of deep emotions which she let resurface. "I hope the time will come when they..." she made sure to separate herself from her own people of origin. Not only because she found their wildness and cruelty unacceptable but also she felt personally betrayed by her parents who had simply discarded her as if she was just an unwanted burden. "...that they will learn peace one day. But if we do choose to go over the pass and come across them, I'll teach them a lesson or two."

"We have to decide soon once we get to a point where the roads split," she returned to more practical matters again after a deep sigh and beginning to move forward again.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler

He smiled when she said that she'd head straight for the pass. If only she wasn't supposed to escort him safely. "Well, I managed to walk from there to here without any trouble. So, I think I should be alright," He assured her. "If we both want to go that way, then why shouldn't we? And I would like to see my grandmother again before I'm gone for a whole year." He shrugged.

As Hadassa grew sorrowful and apologetic about what her native people had done, Xyler shook his head slightly and reached out to put a hand on her shoulder. "It isn't for you to apologize, Hadassa." He insisted. "Anyway, it was a long time ago. I was only a baby. I.. don't even remember him," he added quietly, shrugging. "My grandmother's told me all about him, so I feel as if.. as if he would've been proud of me, and I'm very proud for him to have been my father. He was in the cavalry, you know." He added proudly, thinking she might find that to be of interest.

He nodded slightly as she spoke of how she wished they would find peace. "That would be good, wouldn't it?" he sighed, looking down at the ground as he led his horse along. "They are.. frightening, I know that much. I have had an experience with them, myself, and it's not one that I wish to repeat." He frowned. "Still... I don't know. Do you think we ought to risk it? Would you get in a lot of trouble with your commander if we ended up getting into some danger?"

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen

"I don't doubt your walking abilities," Hadassa said, and her brown eyes smiled at Xyler. "Just that I have never been entrusted with such important tasks before. Stable cleaning, kitchen duties, and a patrol in Edoras once in a while, so..."

She listened to Xyler's words of his father and said gently: "At least you can be very proud of him! Suppose... we can't change the past, but perhaps there's something we can do about today and the future, right?" While she did not know if there was any way for them to affect the fate of whole nations, she was determined to do at least something, and it was one of the reasons she had joined the cavalry.

For a few moments the young woman walked along in silence, and then said: "Well, we are almost at the point where we have to choose to head one way or another. I wouldn't mind some scolding from the commanders for the sake of adventure, if it did not turn out too dangerous. Perhaps we should try and hope that nothing bad happens? We can always tread carefully and try to avoid confrontations, right?"

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Healer Xyler

Xyler laughed lightly. "The point wasn't that I could walk, but rather, that I was able to travel all that way without any trouble." He replied, a little amused. "But then, that was some time ago." He shrugged, and listened as she spoke about her previous duties. He got the idea this was the first really important one, and smiled. "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be just fine, whichever route we pick." He declared. "And if any injuries should occur, I'm sure we could find someone who knows how to tie a bandage." He added in a teasing manner, and grinned.

Stopping at the fork in the road, he looked down one way, then another, and looked back at Hadassa. "Well, let's give it a shot. It'd be more adventurous, taking this way, anyway." He smiled and pointed down the road that lead toward the mountains. "I trust you to handle any dangers, if you trust me to bandage up any wounds that might happen." He smiled. "Should we mount up, or keep walking?"

New Soul
There's Dragon Smoke Afoot
As a steady hum ruminates about Sulhandlas Farm, a short, stout fellow comes stumbling in through the west gate. He definitely not Rohirric, and yet, despite coming from the west of the Entwash, most certainly not a Dunlander either.

@Amhran watches the stranger gamboling in ovious desperation, across a freshly ploughed field. As he approaches, Amhran gradually realises this is not only not a Rohirrim, nor a Dunlander, but seemingly not of any strictly "man" race, being far too short for his obvious age, and carrying as much curly black hair upon the tops of his bare feet as upon his head.

"Drag... Drag..." the Hobbit pants, as he comes to a stop, "Dragon... Smoke." And collapses upon the field.

In his pocket is found a note; "Dear stranger, you, or perhaps one or two of your fellow countrymen, (if your would care to suggest any), are cordially invited to an RPG in The Shire, home of this poor exhausted hobbit sent league upon league to enlist the help of any who would be interested.
"Should your interest, only that of your aforementioned countrymen, happen to have been piqued, kindly travel, at you soonest convenience, to The Green Dragon, c/o the thread - "The Farthings and Beyond - Shire Free RP." There, agreements and handshakes may be made with one Periantar, hobbit, adventurer and all round nice guy.
"Yours sincerely, in presumption of your acceptance and due pleasure,
"Periantar, Esq."
Last edited by Periantar on Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Periantar:
I am a multi facited hobbit, for I am a gardener;
a leader, hobbit second regiment of the HDS;
and fireworks meister of TISAPA.

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
Melahny & horse
Leaving for a Journey

Melahny packed up the belongings she would need for the journey ahead. She was now ready to travel around Rohan and into Gondor to trade her wares. These included a variety of things, but mainly it was health and herbalist related items: supplements, teas, tinctures, spices, herbs, health potions and poultices, and concoctions (some of her own invention and some of common and rare usage). She also carried other small items to trade here and there, such as: trinkets, precious metals, jewellery, rare or unique tokens, figurines, and other handmade items. She had them all packed in one bag, and the other larger case was filled with her herbalist wares. She also would pick things as she went. The first stop was to the mountain pass between Rohan and Gondor. There were some wild flowers that only grew there, which she needed to make certain tinctures. Once her new horse was saddled and ready to go, she went inside the old ranch house to bade farewell to her uncle Wulf.

"Well, I'm off," Melahny announced.

"Alright... but don't be so long in coming back to visit next time!"

"I'm only off to Gondor at the moment, so I may very well come back this way in a few months time. Of course, we'll see how the road goes. I must always be prepared for the unexpected," Melahny smiled.

Then they sat at the table and had a cup of tea, chatting about what Wulf would be up to for the winter. After, they embraced and went outside. Melahny doubled-checked her saddle bags and mounted.

"By the way, I've decided to call her Cocoa Willow," Melahny called to Wulf as he leaned against the gate, shielding his eyes from the sun.

"What does cocoa mean?" Wulf asked, puzzled.

"It's an exotic bean, used to make sweet delicacies. She has a dark brown coat like the substance."

"Ha!" Wulf laughed. "The things you've learned. You have become almost exotic yourself, Mel."

Melahny chuckled. "Not so. Farewell Uncle!" She waved farewell as Cocoa trotted away.

Melahny and Cocoa rode down along the path, taking them out of Edoras for a while. Cocoa was quite energetic and responsive. Melahny was glad of the choice she'd made, and grateful to Wulf for gifting her the horse. She would have to find some (sneaky) way to pay him back, since he wouldn't accept it. Perhaps a handsome gift... she could send it to his house and then he would not be able to refuse.

After some time she came to a fork in the road and turned right, down the path towards the mountains. She hadn't met anyone on her journey so far. It was a beautiful autumn day; the sun was sparkling, the sky was a light baby blue filled with puffy white clouds. She breathed in the cool, fresh air in the warm heat of the sun, glancing at the mountains, cold and foreboding in the distance.

After travelling down the mountain path for a few paces, she stopped Cocoa for a moment. There was a large tree with a wide trunk on the left side of the path and she stooped behind it for a moment to relieve herself. Then she returned to her horse and as she swung back into the saddle, she noticed two figures with horses not far off, standing at the fork in the road. She wondered if they would turn down this path towards the mountains too.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen , @Melahny_oftheWoods

"No trouble? Really? None at all?" Hadassa teased, flashing a wide grin at Xyler, feeling quite at ease with him and confident that their travel might come out rather good if they did not end up in any trouble. "Then you should be wary that I wouldn't bring any on us, though I haven't had that many either."

No matter how tempting the travel towards mountains seemed, Hadassa still hesitated a while, and then shrugged. "Fine, let's see about those adventures then. I'm sure you are experienced enough to patch me up should I get into too bad a scuffle." She proceeded to prepare her horse, and then pulled herself up into the saddle. "Think we should ride to give our horses some work too," she said, trying to find the best position for spending quite a long time in the saddle.

As she gently guided Sugar away from the easiest route of travel towards the one heading towards the mountains, she spotted someone already ahead of them. "Look, someone has a mind to travel that way too. Should we see if this is the case of the more the merrier?"

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion @Melahny_oftheWoods

Apprentice Healer Xyler
On a journey - late September

"Well, none that I can think of that's worth mentioning." He answered, shrugging. "It was quite uneventful. The only thing that really posed any trouble was the heat. It was a lot hotter once I came down off the mountain, walking through the plains here." He mentioned.

When Hadassa decided it was time to start riding their horses instead of walking alongside them, he nodded and checked that his saddle was ready. "Alright then." He grabbed the saddle, bounced a couple times on his foot, and then pulled himself into the saddle with a little effort. Dusty waited patiently throughout this process, being used to Xyler's less-than-smooth mounting technique by now. It was a bit difficult, being shorter than the average height for Rohirrim. But he tried not to let that bother him.

Looking down the road when Hadassa pointed out someone else ahead of them, he considered for a moment before nodding. "Sure, why not? Perhaps she's lost, or she might like some company for a bit." He guessed that the traveler ahead of them might be heading to any one of the villages or settlements dotting the prairie between here and the mountains, as it was fairly rare for anyone to want to venture as far as he and Hadassa were heading. But it might be nice to meet someone new, for however briefly they might travel together.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Melahny & horse
Leaving for a Journey
Melahny looked behind her from the saddle and noticed the two figures were indeed coming down the same path.

"Looks like we'll have some company," she muttered to Cocoa, patting the mare on the neck. Cocoa was looking inquisitively at the other two horses coming their way, twitching her ears in curiosity and interest. Melahny chuckled, "You want to meet the other horses, I suppose?"

Melahny adjusted her saddlebags, ensuring that everything was in place and got out her wineskin for a drink of water, while the other travellers began to approach. When they were near enough, she waved good-naturedly and called out, "Greetings!"

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
Heading towards Minas Tirith with Xyler and meeting Mel

Hadassa held the reins loosely to let Sugar reach down for a few mouthfuls of grass from the roadside while she watched Xyler get himself into the saddle. A slow smile played on her face, yet she did not say anything to tease him, only made a mental note to herself that perhaps they could figure out how to make things easier for him. After all she expected quite a lot of riding to do, and why not work on things as they travelled.

"Aye, it seems, we might find out quite soon," she noted, when they turned off towards mountains rather than travelling alongside them and found that the woman before them seemed to be waiting for them.

"Well met!" Hadassa responded to the greeting when they had approached the other traveller. "Are you headed for one of the nearby villages and can do with some company?" she asked, though as far as she could see from the quantity of other woman's luggage her destination might not be so close either.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

Apprentice Healer Xyler & Dusty

Xyler grinned as they approached the other rider. "Hello! Nice day, isn't it?" He called, just after Hadassa's greeting. He waited to hear how she would reply to the questions of his companion, and lightly patted Dusty on the neck. So far, so good. He hoped the horse would be alright with a lengthy journey such as this. But, he supposed, it wasn't as if they intended to ride to Minas Tirith in a matter of a few days, as he had heard the wizard had done in the days of the impending battle, some years ago. Dusty was a good horse, but certainly not of the Maeras.

Xyler and Dusty continued down the road until they reached the stranger, and he smiled slightly. "That's a lovely horse," he commented. Being unused to traveling far from home, it didn't even cross his mind that they might come across bandits or dangerous folks, aside from the earlier discussion about the possibility of encountering Dunlendings. And she was clearly no Dunlending, so he had little reason to fear or suspect her of being a danger to them.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Melahny & Cocoa Willow
On a Journey
"Well met, and tis a fine day," Melahny smiled at both the travellers as they approached. Then she answered the woman's query, "No, I'm going right up into the mountains but will stop at some villages along the way if possible, to trade. But yes, if you are going that way as well, company would be fine indeed!"

Cocoa Willow was shifting her ears towards the other horses excitedly now. Well, she was a young horse and energetic. Melahny turned her around and allowed her to step closer as the other two horses stopped beside them. Cocoa sniffed the horses' noses contentedly.

When the young man commented on her horse, Melahny chuckled and said, "Thank you, Sir. She's very excitable, this will be her first long journey and as you can see she loves other horses. I call her Cocoa and I am Melahny, known in some places as Melahny of the Woods-- I'm a travelling herbalist and I mostly live on the road, you see."

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
Heading towards Minas Tirith

"Ah..." Hadassa murmured, realising that she had simply dived into conversation without making any introductions. Yet, for a while she did not say anything, content to observe the other woman and let the horses greet each other. Sugar could be called a very experienced horse and seemed to behave with proper decorum - reaching her nose up slightly to inspect Cocoa and return the greeting in a way. Hadassa's hand moved gently over her mare's neck though there was no need whatsoever to calm her trusty horse.

"I am Hadassa, and my horse is called Sugar, and she really seems to be the sweetest thing," she eventually made her own introductions. "And this is Xyler and Dusty, if I remember correctly..."

She did not mention anything of their destination, leaving room for Xyler to share of it as much as he preferred, for she felt that it was not her place to spill out all of their intentions before a stranger without his consent.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

"Right up in the mountains?" Xyler repeated in surprise, for it wasn't often that people went that way, or at least not that he knew of. He smiled toward Hadassa briefly, before turning to the stranger. "Pleased to meet you, Melahny, and Co-" He began, before hastily making a grab for his saddle and held on as Dusty, with his ears also pricked up with interest, suddenly decided to trot closer to check out the new horse. "Whoa, hold on, wait.. no Dusty! Sorry.." he threw an apology to Melahny in the middle of trying to tell his horse to behave. Unfortunately, he was entirely ignoring Xyler as he greeted Cocoa with a soft nicker, as if he was saying hello in Horse or something.

"Um, yes. This is Dusty," He verified what Hadassa had said, and smiled faintly while trying in vain to guide his horse back toward Hadassa. "And I'm Xyler." He smiled, and cautiously held out a hand to offer a handshake since he was already so close, though he was a little unsure how far he could safely reach out without losing his balance. "This is also Dusty's first journey as well, or at least, with me." He explained, a little embarrassed at his lack of riding skills. And the obvious fact that he could not keep his horse under control, as it turned out.

But he was far more interested in hearing that Melahny was an herbalist. "An herbalist, you say? You might enjoy talking with my grandmother then, if you should come to the village called Wyndhorne. She's the healer there," He mentioned with a smile. "That is where we are heading, actually." He added, motioning to himself and Hadassa. "If your journey is taking you to different villages in this area, then you may wish to come there as well?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Melahny & Cocoa Willow
On a Journey

Melahny nodded politely as the other two made their introductions. "Why she is a sweet mare, they both are quite fine. Did you get either of them in Edoras by chance?" Melahny asked. "I'm a Rohirrim," she added, by way of explaining her great enthusiasm for horses.

Then Dusty seemed to be quite interested in saying hello to Cocoa as he trotted over, which seemed to fluster the young man, Xyler, a bit. Melahny made a clicking sound and said "Steady", to Cocoa quietly but sternly. Cocoa stayed still even though she was excitable--so Wulf had trained her well. That was good but Melahny would have to keep up the training since the mare was young; she didn't want Cocoa to develop any bad habits.

As Dusty and Xyler approached and the two horses sniffed and nickered at one another, Xyler extended his hand and Melahny shook it with a firm grip.

"This is also Dusty's first journey as well, or at least, with me," Xyler explained.

He seemed a little embarrassed so Melahny tried to reassure him, "Not to worry, this is also Cocoa's first long journey. My uncle trained her up as I was in need of a new mount for my travels."

Melahny patted Cocoa on the neck as she listened to Xyler: "An herbalist, you say? You might enjoy talking with my grandmother then, if you should come to the village called Wyndhorne. She's the healer there. That is where we are heading, actually. If your journey is taking you to different villages in this area, then you may wish to come there as well?"

"Oh, yes," she replied. "If there is a village healer up in those parts, I would greatly appreciate an introduction! I am always looking for new contacts and people to trade with. Perhaps she can help me find what I'm looking for... There is a sort of rare mountain flower called the Edelweiss that I've only been able to find in the wild a handful of times."

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

At the young woman's declaration that she was Rohirrim, Xyler couldn't help a little laugh. "What are the odds of running into another Rohirrim, here in Rohan?" He grinned teasingly. "So are we both," he added as he indicated himself and Hadassa, despite the fact that Hadassa didn't look the least bit Rohirric. But he didn't care about her Dunlending parentage, since her upbringing had been Rohirrim, just like his own. She was Rohirrim by heart, even if not by blood, as far as he was concerned.

He patted Dusty's neck lightly. "Yes, I did get Dusty from a place near Edoras," he answered her other question. "That's where I live now, at the Infirmary. I'm an apprentice healer," He explained. "I'm sort of.. new to riding, myself, but Hadassa has been helping me learn." He smiled over at his friend, and then wondered what she would think of him declaring her to be Rohirrim.

Turning back to Melahny, he went on, "I can certainly introduce you to my grandmother," He added, smiling at that thought. "That is where we're heading, now, so you're certainly welcome to come along with us. Although, I believe I know a better guide to talk to if you'd like help finding Edelweiss," he grinned. "My Grandma is getting a bit on in years, so she doesn't get out in the woods as much as she used to. So, instead, she usually sends me out to gather the herbs she needs, and I've gotten quite good at finding things like that." Of course, he didn't know what she did these days, now that he was off in Edoras. He hadn't thought about that, and hoped she wasn't roaming off in the woods at her age.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
Travelling with Xyler and Melahny

It seemed to Hadassa that Sugar was more interested in the lush grass along the roadside than the other horses, and she let the mare graze a bit while she herself listened to the conversation. It became clear that they might be able to travel along together for a while, and Melahny and Xyler, and even Xyler's grandmother had common interests.

She did not mind at all the way things were turning out, and also found herself straightening up and squaring her shoulders proudly, all unawares, when Xyler stated with confidence that she too was a Rohir. A warm smile brightened Hadassa's face, when she joined up in the conversation again.

"My horse is not really mine," she admitted. "I serve with the cavalry, and only have been allowed to 'borrow' her, if you can even say that about a horse. I would not mind having my own at some point, but it would take some serious saving of coins." She did have a dream of having her own place to call a home at some point, and that would also make it possible to provide for a horse of her own. Sometime...

She did not say anything about the plants - it was not her forte, even though she knew some very basic things. And currently she was not yet sure if herblore was something she would want to delve into, or perhaps something completely else.

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Melahny & Cocoa Willow
On a Journey

Melahny laughed good-naturedly at Xyler's joke and nodded as he explained they were Rohirrim as well. She could have guessed that for him, as he was fair in complexion and looked a good deal like many of the people in Edoras. But the woman, Hadassa, on the other hand, did not look Rohirric at all and Melahny was surprised to hear that she was a Rohirrim too. Perhaps that was why Xyler clarified they both were Rohirrim? Melahny thought she must have an interesting story or parentage, but she wasn't one to pry.

"Oh you're studying to be a healer? How interesting! Do you enjoy it so far?" Melahny replied when Xyler mentioned his training in Edoras. "Wonderful, I look forward to meeting her--and if you'd like to aid me in my search that would be welcome," she smiled.

Then Hadassa spoke about her horse and how she was in the cavalry. "Ah yes, warhorses are particularly valuable, especially in Rohan. My uncle is a breeder so I know all about the cost and upkeep," Melahny replied, thinking of Wulf and missing him and the ranch already. She looked back down the road past the other travellers and saw Edoras in the distance. She put her hand up to her forehead to shade her eyes for a moment as the sun beamed down hot on her face. The sun was moving fast and she figured they'd better keep moving as they talked so as to not waste any daylight.

"Shall we carry on then?" she asked the other two as she nudged Cocoa's reins to get her to lift her head out of the grass.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

Xyler grinned slightly when asked if he was enjoying it 'so far'. "Well, it's all I've ever done. So, yes, I guess I'm enjoying it well enough." He shrugged and nudged his heels into Dusty's sides to get him going again. He'd never brought his horse up the mountain path, and hoped he would do alright with it, as he knew it could be steep and a little rocky in some places. "I don't mind helping you with your search, as long as you don't go sharing the location with any others." He smiled. "Can't have our secrets being spread far and wide, you know." He joked. "Really though, just as long as you only take a little, and leave enough for others, it's fine."

Turning to Hadassa, he smiled at her. "Perhaps you'll somehow find an excellent bargain on a horse someday, like I did." He suggested optimistically. "Anyway, it seems you're going to have her as your own for the next year or so, at least." He pointed out with a grin. He then turned to Melahny to explain that comment, "I'm being sent to Gondor for a year, to train with the healers in Minas Tirith, and Hadassa has been assigned as my bodyguard for the trip." He grinned, half joking about the 'bodyguard' but the main part of it was really true.