Life in the Mark III (Free RP)

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen , @Melahny_oftheWoods
Hadassa
Travelling with Xyler and Melahny

"Ah, I am not even sure this one is a proper warhorse, though," Hadassa said gently - she was very much fond of the mare though she suspected she had been assigned what could not be called a very good warhorse. "While she has been taught well, she is so docile, so... peaceable. I have trouble seeing her in a battle properly." She ran her hand along the horse's neck and seeing that her companions were ready to travel on, urged the mare to move back towards the middle of the road.

"Well, while I'm away, she is all mine yes," the girl said with immense satisfaction. "Tell you what, Xyler," she lowered her voice conspiratorially, though still loud enough for Melahny to hear to include her in the conversation. "If I could find some odd job in Mundburg to earn some extra coin, I would even attempt to buy her off cavalry, if at all possible. Even my cat has grown fond of her..."

Hadassa adjusted herself in the saddle more comfortably, and then could not help but chuckle. "A bodyguard!" she exclaimed. "I might surely be more of a bodyguard than a healer, though I promise not to give away any secret locations of rare plants if I end up being in the know."

Esquire of The Mark
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Traveling
Melahny and Cocoa

Melahny grinned at Xyler, "Don't worry, I don't share my secret spots, that's how I keep acquiring rare things. Like this flower--it is so useful in healing tinctures. However, it can be a pain to find because it blends so well with the landscape."

Melahny laughed at Hadassa's comment good naturedly, and made a clicking sound with her tongue to get Cocoa moving along. "Oi, don't lag, you," she said, nudging the horse forward with her foot. Cocoa had been trying to stop for some grass but moved along at Melahny's cue. Good. She needed to kick any bad habits now as it was her and the mare's first long journey together.

"I hope you can keep her," Melahny said to Hadassa. "If you are fond of her. Horses are true friends." She patted Cocoa on the neck and enjoyed the peace of the fresh air and sky and the ease she enjoyed from life on the road.
And whither then? I cannot say...

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
FLASHBACK RP - Private with @Rillewen

The woman posing as ‘Elspeth’. Many years ago now
In the village of Wyndhorne. With Aérlyn

To find ..?” The words stalled as the woman stared, not at her benefactor for that would have been rude. But to her lap, as it turned out. As though the answer might be found there. In a way it was. The garb she was wrapped in gave it away, if her muted accent did not, for any who would recognise. Gondor. Home .. And that was what was expected of course. That a person should want to find home. But what happened when they’d left the one behind to find another ? She did not even have a good reason, or at least a reason that anybody else seemed to understand.
Brown eyes closed and opened again, as they had closed upon that chapter of her life and opened upon this. Whatever this might inevitably prove to be.

No,” she swallowed even over the quiet denial. “Gondor is where I started,” she confessed, as her saviour persevered with offering directions .. to go back where she had come from. “I left ..” she said, and stopped. What words might pursue those few then offered as an explanation were hard to admit. To explain.

As though recognising this difficulty, the healer, Aérlyn, had changed their subject to one more important. Not the past. But the present. The future, even. The small babe sleeping, peaceful in a warm house, his stomach satisfied. His lungs soothed, his skin almost rosy. “He is better, here,” his mother could not help but observe. She felt so grateful to their hostess, and for now could only do as told. Sip the broth. It hurt to slide the chunks of hearty food down the chalky chimney of her throat. As though to accept this kindness should choke her. For the healer gave her answer, and it was not what her guest would have guessed.

Raising her wide eyes to better gauge the other’s state, Elspeth ran a thoughtful gaze over Aérlyn’s expression. The evidence of weeping, the care which had been shown. The Gondorian had begun to privately debate whether this kindly Rohir healer was in fact Estë, or Nienna, come from the ranks of the Valar to help her. But now the chances of their saviour as a deity were lessened, even though their plan seemed ever more clear. It seemed that perhaps Aérlyn was in need of help for herself. The Gondorian fought words of want against her will and did not trust herself to speak yet. The fates had brought her to a woman who had lost a child. It was a hard thing indeed to see a soul enter this world, only to see that same soul leave it. Few perhaps would have undergone such misery, if there were not a war. There had it seemed for ever been a war though. As a healer, as the Rohir had named herself, perhaps she had seen more than her share. Of leaving. It was not a concept which the Gondorian was unfamiliar with either. Except she tended to be the one who did the leaving, not so much the being left behind. She was getting rather devastatingly good at all the leaving.

He has eighteen months,” she agreed with the healer’s estimation on her child’s age. “I think, .. given the change of seasons we have seen together. Your country does show the seasons more with such flourish,” the Gondorian tried to explain, without admitting that she had lost count in several places for a short time. The bowl of stew was warm where she had set it so that she could relay details. Oblige her benefactor. She shifted the small source of warmth so that it would not burn through her thin dress, albeit unwilling to lose it’s warmth entirely. She was the moth drawn and burned all at once by the flame.

I did not expect the cold,” was an understatement. “Last winter I had work, just stuffing mattresses with straw. But we were indoors then. Only,” she swallowed over the disappointment that explaining forced her to relive, “women without babies to mind can work so much faster, and so we were replaced. They turned us out. He didn’t cough or cry before then. They never even realised that he was .. there. But after, it seemed always since then. I do not know if he did not like to leave, or it was breathing in the straw perhaps .. was not good for him. Maybe that was why they made us leave.

There was a want to see the good in the people who had been good to her, for so long. Though the baby had been the cause they had cited that they could not stay, it was hard for a mother to look at her child and believe that any other could be turned against him. It was not his fault none of this. He deserved .. better.

Everywhere we stopped then was a place we could not stay. There had been trouble with .. strangers .. Dunlendings ..” the Gondorian paused, her mind recalling of the healer’s loss. A healer, not so young to likely have a small child now of her own, but who had suffered a recent loss. And what might then kill a grown child in Rohan, recently .. ? It seemed wrong to suppose without evidence, of course. She wet her lips and wrung the fingers of one hand in the other. Now that they were warming, it was clear that one finger had worn a wedding band for some time, now some time since removed. The paler thin trace of skin gave the hint of a history away without her needing to tell it.

Everyone had their own troubles. Their homes were destroyed, their people injured. They needed to receive help, and could not provide it .. Still someone, I remembered, he had spoke to me of a good place. He said he came from Wyndhorne. So I came .. we .. we have come. He told me where but it was a while ago. You are not easy to find.

The chances of them coming across the very right village, purely by chance, in the middle of nowhere .. was quite a feat and perhaps a long tale to swallow. But it was the truth. The fates of the world had seen fit to show their mercy to the innocent little boy, and allowed them to come here. She was beginning to realise only now, why. Some Vala somewhere was looking out for those who needed help most. Bringing all the pieces of a puzzle together.

Image (25)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion @Melahny_oftheWoods
(Invite only)

Apprentice Healer Xyler & Dusty
On a journey - late September

Xyler smiled, considering what Hadassa had said about getting a job. "I'm sure you could find something. Perhaps Nal or Eryn will be able to help you with that," he suggested, figuring they would know better than him where she might be able to get a job, and one or the other could suggest someplace. After all, if she was going to stay there the whole time he was there, she'd surely need to find some way to support herself, right?

He grinned though when she protested at his use of the term bodyguard. "Just teasing, you should know by now that's almost all I ever do." He laughed. He smiled then toward Melahny. "In case you can't tell, we've been friends for a little while now." He explained with a little grin. "Anyway, we should still be able to find a few of them in bloom," he returned to the topic of Edelweiss. "If you'd waited much later though, they would've all been done blooming and it'd be much harder to find."

Listening as she spoke to Hadassa about the horses being true friends, he reached forward and rubbed Dusty's ears. "Hear that?" He asked, whispering as if sharing a secret with the horse. "Are we going to be good friends like that?" He wondered, then sat back upright and patted his neck lightly. Hopefully they would be. He was still getting to know the horse well, and figured he was getting to know Xyler as well. "What have you done with the little furball, anyway?" He asked, looking over at Hadassa as he recalled her comment about her cat. "Don't tell me you've got her stashed away in one of those saddlebags," He raised an eyebrow with a little grin.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

"They don't really give horses away at the Cavalry, I think, but..." Hadassa repeated the thought, her voice trailing away in quiet expression of faint hope. "I might have to find a different horse for my own."

She then glanced at Xyler sideways. "Teasing or not, but apparently I still have to make sure you get there and back again in one piece. Might as well call me bodyguard if you are so inclined," she said very seriously at first, and then let out a merry laugh. "And... what did you think I'd do with my kitty when I am off for a year give or take? She's not opposed to travelling, so I do indeed have her with me," she explained and nodded towards one of the bags. "She's a very patient passenger, though might have to let her out for a walk at some point."

After a moment of silence, Hadassa turned her attention back to gathering herbs, a topic quite unfamiliar to her. "Say, what exactly is that Edelweiss good for? Not that I'll know how to find it or use it, just curious," she asked, looking from Xyler to Melahny.

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Melahny & Cocoa Willow
On a Journey

Melahny smiled at the two companions' banter. "Do you two travel together often?" she inquired. They were getting closer to the mountains now and the air would begin to get a bit cooler soon, especially at night. The fall air was crisp and clear and the sun was beginning to dip past midday now. Melahny took out a sandwich she had packed and ate as she rode.

Xyler mentioned the time of bloom for her flower and she nodded in agreement, "Yes, that's why I must travel through the mountains first to gather the Edelweiss and some other mountain herbs before venturing onward to Gondor. I have pretty much everything else I need for my trading; this will be the last stop so to speak, before doing business in Gondor for several months this winter."

Winter was the perfect time for her to do some steady trading. She'd travel through different settlements and cities throughout Gondor for several months then head towards warmer climates for the remainder of the winter to gather more things.

As Hadassa discussed the topic of her horse, Melahny nodded in understanding, and then a cat was mentioned and Melahny turned around in her saddle to see an adorable little kitty poking out of one of the saddle bags. "How sweet!" Melahny exclaimed. "What's the kitty's name?"

As Hadassa mentioned the flower, Melahny explained, "Well it can be used for several medicinal purposes; commonly for stomach and digestive problems. I use it in my gut-health tinctures. It can also be used to clear the lungs from illness. There are some areas in the world where it's very expensive because it only grows in mountain regions."

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

"Us? No," he answered Melahny's question about traveling. "We have traveled together once before, to go to my grandmother's house. We had two other friends with us, then. They wanted to see the village, so I took them there." He explained. "But this is the first time since then that Hadassa and I have traveled together. And it's definitely the furthest I'll have ever been from home." He added, slightly nervous, but excited as well.

He grinned over at Hadassa when she mentioned having brought her cat. "Good, we shouldn't have to worry about mice invading our camp, then?" He asked, teasing. A moment later, he spotted the cat poking her head out of the saddlebag. "Aww, hello there.. Britta, wasn't it?" he glanced at Hadassa for verification, but seemed to recall it was something like that.

As they rode onward, gradually reaching the winding path upward to the secluded village, Xyler nodded slightly as he listened to Melahny's reply about the flower. But he had something to add. "It's also useful for respiratory problems," He added, remembering his own experiences with that. "Coughing and other throat problems, stuff like that." He explained more clearly. "You can also use it to keep your face from getting pimply," he had to add. "I used to get sick a lot as a young child," He explained. "I became.. very familiar with this particular flower."
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie
|
Aérlyn, Healer of Wyndhorne, and the baby
Several years ago

She fell silent as the young mother explained that she had left Gondor. Aérlyn nodded slightly, feeling perhaps it was best not to pry too deeply. She remained thoughtful while the woman sipped her broth, as Aérlyn had suggested. She had, in fact, put mostly broth in her bowl, though there were still plenty of vegetables and meat available in the bowl, if she should want them. Still, she had anticipated that she might need warming liquids mostly, at the moment. "What may I call you, by the way?" She wondered. "I am Aérlyn," She told her, though she thought she'd given her name before. But, the woman was likely distraught, and may have forgotten that by now.

The mother's comment, that her son was better now, brought a soft smile to the healer's face. "Yes, he's much better now," She assured the woman, with a glance toward the sleeping baby. He looked so small, and it was evident in his size that the mother had been struggling to provide for them. Hearing he was eighteen months old, Aérlyn was a little surprised, for she would have guessed him younger than that, based on his size.

Quietly, she looked back at the mother and listened to her tale, with only a small smile when the woman mentioned how nicely the land here showed the seasons. And an understanding little nod, when she mentioned how unexpected the cold was. Yes, Gondor was further south, and though Aérlyn had not gone there but a few times, she knew that the climate was warmer, there. And the mountains, here, where Wyndhorne was located... they were much colder still.

Straw... Aérlyn cast another glance at the infant, wondering if he had developed any issues from breathing in the straw. It was known to cause respiratory problems, and he did have that bad cough. He stirred, but didn't wake. His little throat sounded a bit raspy to her, but she hoped it was only a lingering effect from his previous coughing and crying. To hear the rest of the mother's story, that they had been constantly turned away, that no one would help this mother and her baby, it wrung her heart. How could anyone do that? She blinked back tears as she kept her head turned away, toward the sweet baby sleeping nearby.

Dunlendings. It was always the Dunlendings, wasn't it? She swallowed back a lump trying to swell up in her throat, and blinked a few times to prevent tears from welling up in her eyes. Then, hearing about someone who had told her to find Wyndhorne.. Aérlyn's curiosity grew stronger than her sorrow for a moment. Drawing on her inner strength, she turned back to the woman. Very few who were familiar with Wyndhorne would have directed a stranger to come here to get help. Very few who knew where Wyndhorne was.. would have been away wherever it was that she met him. "Someone.. told you?" She asked, her thoughts already leading her to suspect who this person might have been. She hesitated, almost unsure if she wanted to ask, but at the same time, she did. She wanted to know. "Who was he?" She asked softly, trying not to be too eager. Still, she felt that she had to know. "What was his name?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

"Heh, I hope we won't get tired of each other as we travel," Hadassa laughed and added her view on her and Xyler having travelled together a lot. "Though having companions makes travel much more enjoyable, no?"

She then leaned over ever so slightly while keeping reins steady and peeked at the cat who had decided to peer out at the surroundings and breathe some fresh air. "She is Bretta, yes, and..." the young woman's dark eyes sparkled with merriment. "She is a very good mouser indeed, that being a reason why both of us were not tossed out on the street upon discovering that I've trying to keep her secret."

"Sugar, no,"
Hadassa corrected her seat again and urged the mare back to movement when the horse had decided that the change in guidance meant she could relax and pluck some of the more delicious grass. Even though now that they were taking a path higher up it might be more difficult to come by very good grazing grounds for horses.

She thought a bit over the matter of usefulness of the mountain herb, and then pondered: "Edelweiss seems to be a very useful plant, though not readily available. I'm usually trying to get by with those that can be easily obtained when in need. Getting sore throat every so often after training out in rain and mud and such."

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Melahny & Cocoa Willow
On a Journey

Melahny listened to the conversation as Hadassa and Xyler answered her inquiries. "Oh, yes travelling with companions certainly passes the time. I encounter a lot of different folk on my travels, and I do hear some interesting tales!" Melahny chuckled, thinking of some of the dwarves, elves, hobbits, and other people she'd met throughout her journeys.

Then she saw the kitty poking her head out again and smiled to herself, remembering the little barn cats that used to populate her parents' barn. She privately thought it was a bit impractical to take a cat on the road, and she hoped the kitty was well trained and would not wander off when they made camp.

Melahny nodded at Xyler as he mentioned some more uses of the Edelweiss flower. "Yes, precisely," she agreed. "But I hope your health has improved since then? Did you grow up in the mountain village?"

"Yes it can be difficult to obtain the proper medicine one might need, that's where herbalists like me come in. There are some remote areas that are very dependent on trade," Melahny replied to Hadassa.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

"You know you wouldn't have been tossed out on the street," Xyler reminded Hadassa with a little laugh. "I may not know a whole lot about cats, but my offer was good any time you might have needed it." He shrugged. He was glad to hear though, that Hadassa hadn't gotten into trouble over the cat. He smiled at the furry little face peeking out from the saddlebag, and hoped she wasn't very skittish about strangers.

The path was a bit steep as they gradually ascended up the mountain, and he was focusing on keeping Dusty from trying to stray or lag. "Oh, yeah," He assured Melanhy after she expressed concern about him. "That was all mostly when I was little. I mostly grew out of it, though.. occasionally if I'm around a lot of hay, it'll bother me a bit." He usually tied a handkerchief around his nose when he was getting some hay for his horse, but didn't comment on that. "And, yes," He smiled. "I did grow up in Wyndhorne." He answered.

"My grandmother raised me, and I grew up helping her and learning all about healing. Last year she decided that I shouldn't spend my whole life there, tied to being her helper always, and so she sent me to Edoras to become an apprentice healer, and learn from them things that she couldn't teach me. Now, they're sending me to Gondor to learn even more, from the healers in Minas Tirith. It's said that the king there has passed on some elven healing skills and knowledge, and things like that."

He was actually quite excited about having a chance to go and find out whether this was true, but even if it wasn't, just getting to see the White City, as Unalmis had described it, was exciting. "Have you ever been to Minas Tirith?" He wondered, curious how far Melanhy had traveled, and if she could perhaps tell them more.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

"Oh, I would certainly come and seek your help should the things have gone really badly for the two of us," Hadassa responded, still thankful for Xyler's offer to give home to the kitty - even at the time when they had just met and didn't know each other to trust properly, perhaps. Even with cats. Or... Hadassa watched as Bretta disappeared back into the bag - it couldn't be said 'even' about cats, not this one at least.

"I've been trying to be rather self-sufficient," Hadassa replied, without expanding on the reasons behind it. "But suppose one can't have all the possible skills on Middle Earth."

When Melahny mentioned tales, and then Xyler asked about Minas Tirith, the young woman listened eagerly to hear if their companion would have something exciting to tell them, and perhaps some information she could use to protect them better on the way, and maybe even while in the city.

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Melahny & Cocoa Willow
On a Journey

Melahny listened to the conversation for a while and nodded as her companions responded to her inquiries. "I'm glad your health has improved then," she told Xyler. "Ah, I see. It must have been a nice village to grow up in."

She smiled at Hadassa's comment, "No, none of us can know or do it all. Except perhaps the Elves, because they live so long, so they have the time ha ha."

"Speaking of which," she turned to Xyler, "perhaps you will find a particular type of medicine or healing that you can become an expert in? We all have our specialties. Healing is such a wide and varied field of study. For me, I have a more specialized knowledge of which herbs to use for which conditions, and how to discover and heal the body from the root cause of the illness, rather than simply treating symptoms. And I'm still learning and adding to my knowledge everyday, of course. But I wouldn't know much about surgery, for example, beyond a basic stitch up. I'm more versed in illness than injury, I suppose. What about you, Xyler? Will you focus on resetting bones and surgeries, or prescribing medicine and compounding herbs? Or some other area of expertise?"

When the conversation then turned to their destination-- Minas Tirith, Melahny nodded knowingly, "Oh yes, I've been there many times. It is a marvellous city. White, glimmering-- beautiful, really. And I don't say that often about cities. I'm a nature woman, and I prefer the forests and fields. But there is also danger there, as in any great city. Be wary of pickpockets and confidence tricksters. Before we even get to the Citadel, we will come through the Pelennor Fields, farmland and small townships. I will do some trading there amongst the farmers first."

"I suppose you'll both be heading straight to the sixth level of the city, to the Houses of Healing?" Melahny asked.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

Xyler smiled at Hadassa. "Perhaps I could teach you some basic healing, sometime. If you want. You've already been such a great help, teaching me how to ride." He reminded her, thinking it would probably make them even if he taught her something in return.

Turning back to Melahny, he considered her inquiry about a specialization. "I don't know," He tilted his head thoughtfully. "I mean, I've never really thought about it. I've always just been a 'general' healer. But, that's why I've begun this apprenticeship, and partly why I was so eager to accept this opportunity to travel to Gondor and learn from the healers they have there." The other part, of course, was for the chance to travel and visit new places and perhaps see their Gondorian friends again.

"My grandmother, she's been the only healer in Wyndhorne for years and years. She said that my father helped her when he was growing up, and then when he grew up, he joined the cavalry as a healer." He smiled slightly. "Then I came along, and Grandma taught me everything she knows, too. So, anyway. She treats all the injuries and illnesses that happen in the whole village." he shrugged. "I don't think she ever really had a chance to go off and learn more specialized things like that. But maybe I will. Who knows?"

He was intrigued by her description of the White City. Unalmis had told them some about it, and then Erynneth had told them about the Pelennor, but that had been a while ago now. "I'm not sure," He answered, when asked if they'd be going straight up to the sixth level. "We've got a friend who lives somewhere in the Pelennor, but I wouldn't know how to find her. Then, we have another friend who lives in the sixth level, in the ranger barracks." He knew this because he had been writing back and forth with Unalmis ever since they met.

When Melahny spoke of pickpockets, Xyler couldn't help a little smile as that reminded him of another friend of his. "Yes.. I'm sure there are." He wondered if he might come across her, but he also had no idea whether she would be anywhere near Minas Tirith. "Are you familiar with the farmers out that way? Do you know of a dairy farm?" He wondered, thinking it might be nice to stop in on their way, especially if they would end up passing close to Eryn's family's farm.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

"I wouldn't mind learning some basics," Hadassa said hopefully, and then laughed. "Though I might prove not that bright of a student in this regard."

She listened to them talk about the intricacies of different types of healing and then began to chant: "Broken bones, fix 'em, mend 'em. Cut and stitch, glue the pieces." She cast a mischievous glance at her companions wondering if they might now think that she was actually rather wild and untamed, and not very cultured. "It sounds to me like healers might need a lot of different skills depending on where they work and how many of them are available for the local people, yes?"

Hadassa rode on in silence for a while and then remarked: "If there are only pickpockets, it would not be a big deal. I somehow imagined that the city over there would be very... upstanding? With strict rules of conduct? How to say it. Can't quite imagine baddies thriving there."

Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen
Melahny & Cocoa Willow
On a Journey

"That's great," Melahny replied to Xyler during their healer conversation. "I'm sure you will find many great opportunities during your study."

Then Melahny noticed Hadassa chanting a little song about bones and she couldn't help but chuckle good naturedly at it.

When Xyler mentioned his grandmother, Melahny nodded her understanding and said, "That's wonderful. My mother was a local healer in Edoras. Of course, the cavalry and the King have their own people, but my mother often prepared tinctures and treated the common people in our community--the other ranchers, farmers, and such, our neighbours and friends. I started began learning from her." Melahny smiled but in a sad sort of way. She fell into silence as she thought about what her life was like back then, before her parents died.

When her travelling companions spoke again of the White City, Melahny listened in quietly and responded once they had both finished speaking. "Yes there is a dairy farm... I believe we would pass it on the road we'll be taking into the city. I'll have to double check on my map." She rustled through a saddle bag for a moment and brought out an old piece of parchment that had notes written in ink all over it. Her little notes and labels for places she needed to remember. "Hmm... yes I have a dairy farm labelled on my map here of the Pelennor Fields."

After riding for some more time, Hadassa made a remark about crime in Minas Tirith. "Well," Melahny said carefully. "I don't mean to speak ill of the great city, however, all cities in my experience are a hotspot for criminal activity. The countryside is too, with the threat of bandits. You must always watch your back, no matter where you are, of course..." Melahny paused, then leaned slightly in her saddle towards Hadassa and raised her brows, "But I keep my bags tied tight when I enter the city."

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

Xyler grinned as he listened to Hadassa's little rhyme, and wondered where she'd picked that up from. "I'm sure you'd be fine. Anyway, a basic bit of education would be helpful in your line of work." He shrugged. "I'm sure there are a vast number of branches that a healer could study," He agreed thoughtfully. "I hope to learn more about that over the next year." He smiled. "I can hardly wait to get there." He felt like this would be a great opportunity to learn new things, and was very much looking forward to meeting the healers at the houses of healing, and getting to explore new things in the world of healing.

"We're fortunate in that we already have two friends who live there," Xyler commented, thinking on the remarks about the pickpockets and such. "I'm sure between Unalmis and Eryn, they can help us steer clear of the shady types." He was not terribly concerned about that, to be honest. He had very little worth stealing, and he had learned a few tricks from his secret friend to keep his belongings safer from thieves.

"I wish I'd found out the name of Eryn's farm," He commented thoughtfully, as Melahny confirmed that there was a dairy farm along the way. "Still, I'm sure we won't have much trouble finding our friends. I've written to Nal to let him know I'm coming," He mentioned to Hadassa. "Though I didn't know you would be joining me. So that will be a surprise!" He grinned. "We've been writing back and forth some, since we met at the spring fest before." He wasn't sure if he'd told Hadassa that. "One of his previous letters mentioned that Eryn had begun an apprenticeship at the houses of healing. So, I bet I'll come across her before I do Nal."

He then turned back to Melahny so as to include her. "May I ask how long your mother worked as a healer in Edoras?" He was curious about that. "I've been working at the infirmary there in Edoras as an apprentice healer. Did she ever work there?"

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

"I conclude that being in a company of healers is not that bad," Hadassa chuckled softly. "At least there is no danger of not receiving appropriate medical attention if it would come to it. But perhaps I can learn some things, yes."

She found it interesting to learn more of Melahny's background, now that they were bound to travel together for a while, so she listened carefully both to her and also to what Xyler shared.

"If I'll catch anyone stealing from me they might rather be sorry they did," Hadassa claimed bravely, though she was not sure she'd attempt anything too violent against any perpetrators in a foreign city unless her life depended on it.

She was glad that Xyler and Nal had been writing to each other, and she wondered if she should have started the same with either Nal or Eryn, even though writing still came somewhat difficult to her and she probably made many mistakes.

"It is good that you've been writing to each other," she commented with a smile. "At least he'll know to expect you, with an unexpected addition of me. I do really hope he and Eryn will help us find our bearings in the city; I'm more scared of getting lost there than in a forest."

Esquire of The Mark
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Image Image

Melahny smiled at Xyler's enthusiasm for healing. It was so youthful and optimistic, or so it seemed to she who'd felt travel worn of late. Not that she didn't enjoy her life--she did. The freedom, seeing new sights, the beauty of Middle Earth. She loved it all dearly. However, being a herbalist and healer, one did encounter a lot of suffering and poverty as well. It could be depressing at times.

Melahny listened to the conversation in silence for a few minutes as Xyler and Hadassa spoke of their mutual acquaintances. She addressed them both, "Oh that's nice-- someone to give you a basic tour is what you'll need. I'm sure we will see each other again before I leave as well; I'll be in Gondor for several weeks. If either of you need assistance with anything, just let me know. I agree with you though," she looked at Hadassa, "I can get my bearings much easier in a forest than a city too."

Then Xyler asked her about her mother, to which Melahny replied, "For most of her lifetime, I think, but she was never at the city infirmary. She just helped people out around the farms and countryside. She also treated the horses-- so she was busy at the ranch. But she died over a decade ago, so..." she trailed off.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

"Oh, I'm sorry," Xyler answered, sympathetic when Melahny spoke of her mother passing away. "It's always difficult, isn't it?" He offered an apologetic smile. "I hope I didn't upset you by asking." Just because it had been a long time did not take away the sorrow of losing someone, as he knew well enough. "It sounds as if she did similar work to what my grandmother does, so that is something we have in common." He added.

"I agree about the forest, too," He mentioned with a little smile, when both the girls spoke up about that. "I thought Edoras was a huge city the first time I came there, and from what Unalmis tells me, Minas Tirith is not only a huge city, but there are seven whole levels of it!" He widened his blue eyes in amazement at this. "Is each level bigger than Edoras, Melahny?" He wondered, curious what she could tell them about it, having been there.

As they talked, the horses climbed the path upward, and the various sights along the path began to look more and more familiar to Xyler the further they went. Before long, he was able to recognize specific trees along the narrow road, and he knew that after a couple more curves in the road, they would be able to see Wyndhorne ahead of them. That made him excited, for he could hardly wait to see his grandmother again, especially since after leaving this time, he knew it would be at least a year before he could come back.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

Trying to steer herself away from the simple joy of travel and exploration back to her duties, Hadassa appreciated the fact that they had a knowledgeable companion with them now, and a possible additional ally in the city they are going to, along with Nal and Eryn who were there. That counted as safety, right? Even though it had nothing to do with her own abilities as a 'bodyguard'.

When Melahny mentioned losing her mother, Hadassa lowered her head in silence to show her sympathy and thought back to her own loss of people whom she had known as her family.

Once again she guided her wandering thoughts back, straightened slightly in the saddle, and watchfully looked around, just in case there happened to be any trouble lurking behind some crevice or bush. If she was not wrong, they were no longer far from Xyler's village.

Esquire of The Mark
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Image Image

Melahny smiled at the other two, "Thank you Xyler," She replied. "Aye, it is difficult, but don't worry you didn't upset me."

When the topic turned back to the city they were headed towards, Melahny replied, "Oh, aye, each level is quite grand. I'm not sure about the size, but certainly the levels are more populated. Rohan is rather a remote area in general, Edoras being the largest settlement."

The time seemed to be going fairly quickly to Melahny, since she had conversation while they rode on. They had been going steadily uphill for awhile now, and they were in the mountain range. The air was fresh and cool and the views were lovely.

"How much farther to the village, Xyler? I think we are close, no?" Melahny asked. She hadn't passed through the mountain village in many years and the paths looked different, overgrown. Although she could see the hill in the distance where she usually searched for the Edelweiss flower.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

Taking in a deep breath, Xyler couldn't help smiling happily as the familiar sights began to pop up more frequently. "Not far," He answered Melanhy's question with a smile. "I'd say.. twenty minutes? Though I'm not as familiar with riding on horseback, so it could be less than that." He had roamed these parts growing up, and knew the area well.

"What other parts of Gondor have you been to, Melanhy?" He wondered. "I've heard of plenty of other regions.. Pelennor, and Lossarnach, and Belfalas, and Pelargir. I've always wondered what those places are like. I don't suppose we'll pass through any of them, on our way there, will we?" He wondered.

The path was already beginning to show a bit more use, widening a little, and he knew that before long it would open up into the village square, dominated by the huge statue of the Horseman who had such a big part of the village's founding. He wondered if Melanhy knew the story about that, but didn't know if he ought to ask.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

"I thought Edoras was a city,"
Hadassa said quietly after a lengthy consideration of what she had heard, embarrassed that her knowledge did not reach far. "There are a plenty of people there, or it seems to me. I honestly cannot imagine how levels can look no matter how hard I try." She had not been further than Edoras and a couple small villages, and also she had only recently learned to read properly and still had to master handling the maps properly. But at least there was always something to learn.

"Are all those regions different and not just plains as our Riddermark? Well, and a mountain range," she wanted to know. "Seems like an impossibly large plot of land."

At least the trail they travelled on now was small enough to handle without constant wondering. Though she still admired the majesty of the mountain walls rising above them, and the sights below.

Esquire of The Mark
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion
Image Image

"Excellent," Melahny said when Xyler told them about 20 minutes until they reached the village. She would be happy to get off Cocoa and stretch her legs a bit after the constant riding.

"Um, yes I believe we will pass by Lossarnach if we go on the road this side of the mountains to Minas Tirith," Melahny answered. "There are lots of small settlements in Gondor, more than in Rohan."

Then Hadassa asked some questions too. Melahny answered, "Edoras is a city, but it is considerably smaller compared to Minas Tirith, and we're more spread out around Edoras...you know, with farmland, small settlements, and ranches in the area, as opposed to a larger, more densely populated city. And it's all lovely country. There are lots of rivers, mountains, plains, similar to here."

Melahny gazed at the beautiful sunset as the day was ending. It was truly lovely up here, she should spend more time in the mountain range. It would be a great place to relax and take some time off from work and travel.

She wondered if the other two had been outside of Edoras much at all, given the questions they were asking the seasoned wanderer. She frowned, trying to remember if they'd said so earlier or not. She knew they hadn't been to Minis Tirith yet but she wasn't sure if they'd travelled around Rohan or elsewhere at all.

"Have you two travelled beyond Edoras or Rohan before?" she asked, wondering how much--or little--they knew of the path they were taking.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

"It is a city," Xyler replied, about the same time that Melahny said the same. He went quiet then, hearing that she had more to say on the matter. He tried to imagine a much more packed city, but honestly he had thought Edoras was quite populated and busy. Well, compared to his village, it was extremely large and full of people. What would Minas Tirith be like, he wondered?

He considered the questions that Hadassa had asked about the different regions being different or the same. "I've only looked at maps of those places," He mentioned to her. "So, I think some parts are hilly, some areas are more river-y, and some are more forested.. that sort of thing." He shrugged, and turned his attention back to Melahny as she asked if they'd ever traveled beyond Edoras before.

"Edoras is as far as I've ever been from home," He admitted. "Well..." he paused, hesitating. "not counting a rather unpleasant.. misadventure I ended up caught up in, several years ago, involving some Dunlending raiders..." He cleared his throat. "I don't really know where I was then, so.. I'm not counting that."
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

Hadassa considered the information about Minas Tirith quietly, still having trouble imagining anything much greater than Edoras, but supposedly she would not be able to conjure in her mind something she had never seen before and would just have to wait to see it. And the road there seemed to be interesting, since it sounded like terrain might not be all the same either.

"I have mostly been in and around Edoras, nowhere too far from it. A day or two off to one place or another," she joined in again when Melahny asked of how far they had been before. "I've never travelled that far before." Obviously, considering what she had already said before.

She leaned over slightly to reach out for an interesting plant growing in a crevice on a rock. It seemed to be some sort of lichen and its texture felt rough in her fingers. She managed to break off a little piece of it and brought it up to her nose - it had a slightly bitter smell. Having satisfied her curiosity, she let the little bit fall to the ground, and turned her attention back to observing the road ahead once more.

"Your grandma is not expecting us, is she?" she asked Xyler. She did not know whether he had sent some message her way before they set out on their road.

Esquire of The Mark
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion
Image Image

"Ooh, but how intriguing," Melahny replied to Xyler's hint about a misadventure. "Perhaps you'd care to share your tale around the campfire some night?" She asked politely, not wanting to pry overly much. Besides, campfire stories were always better--and then one could focus fully on the story and not have to worry about directing a horse away from grazing.

As Hadassa added that she had not travelled much past the Edoras area, Melahny nodded and said, "Oh, well this will be quite exciting for both of you, then. I remember when I first ventured outside of Rohan, and it was--well, terrifying and exhilarating all at once. It makes you feel like a child again--discovering new things, all full of wonder."

A shadow fell across her face as Melahny fell into a short reverie, thinking of all those years ago when she had pursued her curiosity for the world, alone and newly orphaned. She had been wholly unprepared for the wide world, but quite determined. Wulf had done his best to help her plan a reasonably practical journey to Gondor for her first adventure. It almost made her sad to think of herself as she was then--so alone and inexperienced, having lost her best friend and her parents, feeling as though travel was the only alternative to lying in shallow pit of grief for the rest of her days. And now, how far she'd come and yet how melancholy she still was.

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

"No, Grandma isn't expecting me, let alone you two," Xyler laughed lightly at that. "She'll be quite surprised, I'm sure." He knew she would enjoy having the company, however. For the next moment or two, he focused on trying to keep Dusty on course. The horse, apparently, could sense that there was a settlement ahead. Perhaps he could smell horses and people, Xyler wasn't sure. But he seemed to get eager to press onward, and Xyler had to keep him from moving too quickly.

Glancing at Melahny, he hesitated at her inquiry about the story. "Well," He tried to think of the best way to reply. "It wasn't really a very enjoyable time, and it's not really a story I like to tell." He shrugged slightly though, guessing that they were probably both curious. He decided to sum it up enough for them to understand. "Basically, what happened is.. um, because Dunlendings have often attacked and raided our village over the years, taking prisoners and killing folks... several of the young people who live there, decided that they'd go launch a counterattack and take back some of the people that have been taken away over the years.. as if they'd still be alive."

"Anyway, somehow, the leader of this group talked me into going with them, because.." he cleared his throat, a tiny bit embarrassed to admit it, "Well, they wanted someone who could bandage a wound, and they pointed out how that my mother was supposedly captured by the Dunlendings when I was a baby, and he convinced me she may still be alive... And, I don't know. Dernthain was really persuasive, and I was young and stupid." He smiled faintly. "Younger and stupider, I guess you might say." He shrugged. "And hopeful. Anyway, we all got captured instead, and it was just.. not a good time and I.. I thought it would be the last of us all." He took a slow breath as he tried not to let the memories of that horrific predicament get to him. "Not an 'adventure' I like to remember, though I did learn some things from it. I also made a friend from it, quite unexpectedly." He smiled faintly, but he kept his gaze down at the back of his horse's neck for a little while, thinking.

Soon, the village came into view. It was small, just a cluster of houses/cabins built the trees on the mountains. There was one bigger building where the entire village could gather inside for meetings or gatherings. There was also a village square in the center of several of the homes, with a large statue of a horseman in the center of it all. Xyler paused and smiled, motioning to the village that spread out before them. "And here we are. Wyndhorne." He knew that Hadassa had come here once before, in the spring, but it would have looked a bit different then, with more flowers blooming and less dense foliage on the trees. Now, in the autumn, the leaves had begun to turn colors and would soon be falling.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

It might have been true that everyday life was rather usual most of the times and that she had longed for a bit of a change and for some adventure, and also when Melahny said travelling made one quite childlike with wonder... It could not be denied that other cavalry members already regarded Hadassa as a child since she was one of the youngest there. Not much would be different there - she thought to herself. Now and then she allowed herself childish behaviours and joyfulness, but more often than not she was forced to act as much older than her age would require.

When Xyler set about telling his story, Hadassa could not help but feel a burden of responsibility for it even though it was not her that did the misdeeds. She sat quietly in the saddle, looking at Sugar's curiously flicking ears as she likely picked up on Dusty's excitement. "Easy, girl," she mumbled softly, letting her hand run over the mare's smooth neck. Then she pressed her lips together in a tight determined line, and her dark eyes looked up with a great degree of spitefulness. If she could not change the nature of her whole people of origin, she would at least do what she could on her own part.

In silence, she took in the village that showed up ahead of them as they came along the path, and she thought that it looked quite the same, except for the usual changes in surroundings due to seasons.

"It did not even take us too long," she remarked then.

Esquire of The Mark
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion
Image Image

Melahny listened as Xyler told them briefly of his perilous adventure with the Dunlendings. "I am so sorry that happened to you," she told him. "But that you managed to escape with your life is... remarkable. I do hope you travel armed now," she added. With a raised brow she tapped the sheath at her belt, indicating her blade. "Personally, I like to be over-prepared when on the road, especially being a woman. I think travel with anything less than... five blades is... not satisfactory." She smiled in a playful manner, hoping to lighten the mood. It seemed to her that discussing his "adventure" might have upset Xyler. Or at the least, it was an unpleasant topic to continue with.

Melahny took out her journal and studied it for a while, reviewing her list of things to do while on the way to Gondor. Picking up the Edelweiss was on the list, as well as stopping for some other herbs and plants that grew along the way to their destination.

Not long after, Hadassa remarked that it did not take them too long, and Melahny looked up to see that she meant the village. They were here at last! "Excellent," she remarked. "Will we camp the night here?"

Steward of Gondor
(Invite only)

Xyler gave a little laugh as Melahny mentioned keeping at least five blades on her while traveling. "You sound a bit like my friend," he grinned slightly, then shrugged in answer to her expressed hope that he traveled armed. "I have a dagger." He answered, though he left off that he barely knew how to use it. He tried to remember if he had been discussing that with Hadassa before or after they met up with Melahny, but he couldn't quite recall. He made no comment to her saying sorry about his misadventure. It seemed best to him to just let that matter drop.

A brief silence fell between the trio as they traveled in companionable silence, until that was broken when Xyler announced their arrival to the village. "No, not too long," He smiled over at Hadassa when she commented on that. When he'd walked from here to Edoras, on his way to join the healers, it had felt like a very long journey. It was much different on horseback, however.

He glanced toward Melahny when she asked about camping. "Well, I figure my grandmother will probably insist we all stay for supper," he grinned and dismounted near the large statue of a horse and rider. "Then she'll insist it's too late for us to continue our journey, so we'd better all stay the night as well, and start early in the morning," He informed his companions of what to expect, smiling slightly. "She lives this way," he added, leading Dusty as he crossed the village square and went toward one of the nearby cabins.

He paused to consider whether he should knock on the door or go right in.. he had grown up here, and it seemed weird to knock, and yet.. he didn't still live here. The thought puzzled him briefly before he decided, whatever. Grandma wouldn't care, she would probably chide him for not still thinking of it as his home. Stepping inside, he glanced around. "Grandma?" He called cheerfully. He didn't see her right away, but figured she might be in a back room or something. He motioned for the girls to come on in as well.