Edoras Infirmary

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

Sigrid chuckled at his confusion, she had been blown away by getting her own house as well when she first started. "At the moment, no dorms or sharing" she said with a smile. "Right now it is just me and Trewyn, who also just started as an apprentice. Oh remind me to introduce you to her.." she added distractedly as she looked back towards the tent. "And then of course there is Alwin, but he sleeps in a room off of the barn. His preference."

She began walking back towards the infirmary, though at his question she paused, turning back towards him. "Well, get settled into the house you pick, clean it if you like and then meet me back at the tent. Dinner should be ready by then. We do have three patients we will beed to see to first, but after that we can eat." Giving him another smile she began walking away, though threw another comment over her shoulder.

"The apple tree over there should keep you from starving until then and welcome aboard!"

The walk was short, the houses deliberately close to the infirmary so that they could get to the patients quickly if needed. Taking a deep breath and enjoying the feel of the sun on her face for just a second, she headed back into the tent to check on all three patients, starting with Hadassa.

Steward of Gondor
@Winddancer

Xyler
New Apprentice

Xyler could hardly believe it. A whole house, just for himself. Before, at his gran's house, he hardly had his own room. He did, until a patient came along, then he had to let them have his room while he slept elsewhere. He didn't really mind, because it was what he was used to, but to think of having an entire house of his own was mind-boggling. After standing there, possibly in shock, for a moment, the young man hurried down to check out the houses. First, he stopped off to grab a couple of apples to munch on while he looked.

It didn't take him long to select the one he liked best, and went inside to set his things down. He hadn't brought much with him, as he never really owned much to begin with, and he'd had to carry everything on his back. There was dust everywhere, but he'd get to that later. The idea that there were patients waiting to be checked on gave the apprentice healer a sense of urgency, to hurry back as quick as possible. He had no furniture to unpack, nor any cleaning supplies. When he left home, he didn't exactly expect to have a house of his own that he'd have to clean, and hadn't brought anything of the sort with him.

Leaving his pack in the middle of the entry room, to mark that someone had claimed this house, he left without really checking whether it was furnished or not. He assumed not, but maybe he'd be pleasantly surprised later. Xyler had no idea where to find this Alwin person to request some firewood, so instead he headed back to the infirmary. Firewood could wait, he wasn't even going to be in the house until later, after all. Having finished off four apples by now, he figured he could survive until supper time, and was eager to get back to the patients. "Apprentice Xyler, reporting for duty.." He spoke aloud, wasn't sure where to find the healer now, but hoped she might hear him and let him know where to find her, or someone might direct him to where he should be.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

She was a bit of a fusser when it came to patients. A trait inherited from her grandmother whom would fuss over everyone, including her. She missed those days spent with her in their little cottage. Those days had been so good, yet she had been too young to truly cherish them for what they were. She would give anything to go back to that fateful day, warn them all, save them. Her life would have been so much different. She would never have come all the way out here, would never have run the Infirmary, never have met Éolath, never have had her heart broken.

She swallowed the lump in her throat and finished tucking the blanket around Hadassa, ensuring that the woman was comfortable and had whatever drink she preferred. With strict instructions to take it easy and stay in bed if possible, Sigrid checked on Trewyn and the other newcomer. Afird was it? Something axe. She was horrendously horrible with names and thankfully she did not immediately need to know as Trewyn was doing a fine job with the cuts on his feet. She would of course later drill Trewyn for the full name and save herself the embarrassment of asking.

Finally she made her way to the last of the three that had just arrived. Three was a lot in one day, especially as it had been a while since they had had any at all. This one was likely the worst off of all three, her blue eyes quickly taking in his breathing and colour of his skin. The large dog got a look as well, though for the moment she needed to ensure the man, Harlan? was ok.

Her heart went out to the pair, scraggy as the dog looked, it seemed decently fed. Whereas the man looked pale and gaunt. She shook her head slightly, guessing that most of his food had gone to the dog. While admirable and even understandable, it was a foolish thing to do. Though her initial thought was to get the dirty mutt off the bed, she did not have the heart to do so as she knew well enough of the link some could have with their animals. She would do the exact same thing for her horse given half the chance.

Instead she gingerly sat next to the man, on the other side of where the dog was and extended her hand over his body and let the dog sniff her. "It's ok, I won't harm him." She said softly, the dog seemingly appeased as it lay back down. Sure that the dog wasn't going to snap or bark at her, Sigrid turned her attention back to the man. At first her eyes focussed on his chest, counting his breaths as she slid her warm hand to his wrist. Delicate fingers gently pressed against his skin, feeling for his pulse.

Satisfied with the pace of both her eyes scanned across his face. The paleness, which made his copper hair and freckles stand out even more, as well as his gaunt features were a definite concern. He had not just gone without food for a few days. Her eyes slid down his chest to his arm, her fingers moving from his wrist to lightly test the wrapping. Trewyn had done a fine job bandaging whatever wound was beneath. All the while she inspected him, she listened for the fateful crackling sound when he breathed, concerned he might have caught pneumonia. She would have to give his lungs a proper listen once he woke, but for now she was reluctant to wake him.

Head laid on his master's lap, the dog looked up at her and she gave it a smile. "Don't worry, he will be right as rain soon enough. Just need some food, I think." She grinned as the dog's ears pricked and quickly added "I guess I can find some for you as well.."

"Apprentice Xyler, reporting for duty.."

With her back to the new apprentice, she tried not to grin too much at his announcement. The eagerness was a positive trait in her opinion, recalling her own apprenticeship only a few years ago, assuming he was just as nervous and eager as she had been. Turning just enough to face him, she gave the young man a smile.

"Have you ever given a dog a bath? I know it's not exactly healer related, other than of course being concerned with keeping this place clean.. and smelling good.." she mumbled the last words under her breath, her nose wrinkling slightly.

Steward of Gondor
@Winddancer

Xyler
New Apprentice

Finding Sigrid with a patient, Xyler waited until she had answered him. And when she did, he blinked and merely stared down at the hound dog in some bafflement. "Uh... no ma'am, I have not." He answered after a brief pause. "I guess there's a first time for everything, isn't there?" He grinned a little and moved toward the dog. "The question is, will the dog come with me?" He wondered. Moving closer, he held out his hand and inched closer carefully until he was satisfied the dog would let him pet it, then spent a moment petting him and scratching his ears.

"Alright then, it's time for a bath." He announced softly. Hopefully, the dog wouldn't object, or run off. He also hoped the man wouldn't awaken and panic, not seeing his dog around. "Shall I use the lake, or...?" He frowned, taking a look down at the dog. "I suppose I could haul some water up from the lake into a tub or something, and wash him that way." He wasn't entirely sure how to go about washing a dog, but hopefully Sigrid may have some sort of suggestions that would make this task easier, or at least help him know how to do it properly.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

She let out a soft chuckle at Xyler's bewilderment. At least he had thought on his feet and hadn't immediately dismissed the suggestion. As a healer they were often required to think on their feet, tackling situations and issues that did not normally arise. Adapting was crucial. Finding solutions was the key to success, and survival.

"I think the lake should do just fine, there is a decent bank where you can walk him in a little and then wash him. Soap is over there," she said as she pointed towards the cupboard. "You can take a towel as well as I am sure he will want to come back in and lay here again. Though I would prefer it if he stayed on the ground until he has dried off at least."

Turning to Harlan once more, she tucked him in a bit more and then helped Xyler coerce the dog to go with him. Reluctant to leave his master, her words of promise to keep his master safe seemed to reassure it at least enough to follow the young man. Of course the bone that was going to be used for broth did of course have some influence on it's decision.

She would have loved to watch Xyler wash the dog, sure he would be getting as much of a bath as the dog was going to get, however there was dinner to prepare. The large cooking fire was deliberately placed just outside the tent, always in use when it was not raining, as the smell of the food cooking seemed to have it's own medicinal benefits.

Beef, vegetables and a healthy amount of potatoes were scrubbed, peeled and diced before being chucked into a huge pot along with water and several different kinds of herbs and spices. She even dunked in a tankard of thick dark ale to make it more hearty. Though she did make sure there was enough left to drink as well. The dark ale seemed to be beneficial in many ways and given the patients they had right now, it seemed like it would be needed.

Steward of Gondor
@Winddancer

Xyler
Apprentice

He couldn't deny that the dog definitely needed a bath. Grabbing the soap, Xyler nodded to the healer and grinned. "I'll have him run around in the sun for a little while before we return, that ought to dry him off pretty well." He declared, grabbing a towel for the initial drying. And then, as an afterthought, he grabbed an extra one, for himself. "Come on then, bath time." He told the hound, wondering how this was going to go. He'd heard that some dogs love water, while others hate it. Hopefully this one wouldn't object to a bath.

Once he had gotten to the lake, pulling off his tunic and waded in, Xyler found it easy enough to coax the dog to follow him in. The water actually felt quite nice, after all that walking in the hot sun, and it was pretty nice to take a little time to cool off. The dog seemed happy to splash around in the water, playing. Xyler let him splash for a moment, hoping that if he was enjoying the water, he wouldn't mind a bit of a rubdown. With soap. Once he started to scrub, the dog squirmed a little but otherwise seemed to be alright with all the petting and attention he was getting, not even seeming to realize that this was a bath.

When at last Xyler felt that he had gotten the dog clean enough, he petted and rubbed his sides and back again to make sure all the suds were washed off, and then let him play for a bit longer, while Xyler wandered to the bank to dry off. Just as he was nearly finished, the dog came bounding up to him, paused and then shook all the excess water off... all over Xyler. "Ahh!" He leaped back, not expecting something like that, and then sighed. "Thank you..." He shook his head in mild annoyance and then draped the damp towel over the hound, rubbing him to get him as dry as possible. "Want to run around a little?" He tossed a stick and watched the dog chase after it, then sighed and grabbed the other towel and took some time to dry himself off. Again.

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

Life here at the Infirmary was never dull. Even without any patients there were chores that needed to be done. Whether it was cooking, cleaning, chopping firewood or tending to the animals, her days were always full. But it was when there were people to tend to that she thrived the most. Tending to people was what gave her purpose.

Being busy also helped mend her heart. Though Alwin was quiet and mostly kept to himself, it still felt nice to not be all alone, that there was always someone there to share the meals with and talk to on long cold evenings. It had quickly become clear that Thalionwen was not going to return anytime soon, another reason for her heavy heart, though the most crushing developement had been when Éolath had left. However there was no better cure than to have others here and she was so grateful for her new apprentices, hoping that she could teach them all that she knew as well as them teaching her, as she did not know everything either.

Chucking another log onto the fire, she stirred the stew and inhaled it's rich and flavorful smell, her own stomach grumbling. Not that she would ever consider eating first, so she laddled the stew into bowls, placing each one on the tray along with the fresh baked bread and tankards of ale. Carrying it carefully she brought it inside, giving one to Hadassa and the other to Afird. Trewyn was encouraged to get herself some food as well as she and Alwin would eat outside at a later time.

The last bowl she brought to Harlan where she debated for a long moment if she should wake him or not. However his gaunt features tipped the scales towards disturbing his sleep. Setting the tray on the small bedside table, she sat on the bed next to him and took his hand, rubbing it with her other hand. "Rise and shine.." she said loud enough that it should wake him. "Dinner time.."

Khazad Elder
Afird Splitax Prospective Resident / Patient/ with Trewyn
Apprentice Healer

Afird had seen the frown on the women's face when he mentioned Duharrow. Her kind smile and easy touch could not hide the fact that she did not want to say more about his adventure, and he let it rest. He sounded like a fool anyway, without persisting with it. But, he knew that he would mention it again to somebody. It was too farfetched of a tale never to repeat.
He listened as Trewyn explained what she proposed to do. Soon he relaxed as the warm water poured over his injuries and the healer's gentle hands removed dirt and foreign objects from his wounds. He looked at his hands while she tended to his low limbs. He could see that his hands were cut and dirty. Had he been on all fours like panting cur, whipped by the pretty lass, with no control? He shook his head, and blushing, he put his hands beneath his beard, out of sight.
Looking about, he saw folk on the mend and healers busily mending. Suddenly, a great pang of pure homesickness hit him, and he wondered at it. He had been gone for some time now, almost a year. Not one to feel blue, he sure was suffering a bout of melancholy the last little while. Maybe the lass on the mountain had done it to him. He grumbled under his breath at the absurdity of it all and shook himself. Enough was enough. He took his hands from beneath his beard and stretched them down towards Trewyn.

'Do you care for hands, too?' he asked with a shy smile that touched his eyes, causing the crowfeet around them to fold softly.

Ent Ancient
Harlan with Sigrid & Parry with Xyler
Patient(s)

As a rule, Parry did not love baths. If anyone asked him (and they never did), he’d say he didn’t need one. Never had, never would. But swimming and splashing and chasing after sticks? Oh, well, that was a dog’s dream! It was right up there gnawing on bones and belly rubs. The old hound wasn’t as fast or nimble as he used to be, but he still enjoyed a good romp. Tail wagging, he fetched the stick, returned it to Xyler and sprawled out on the ground, rolling around with his tongue lolling out. So much for the bath?

Harlan was lost to warm darkness only deep sleep could give. There was no pain, no hunger, no cold. Exhausted to the core, he did not so much as stir when Parry was taken away. Normally, he was a light sleeper and the slightest touch, the softest sound or the earliest wisp of dawn sunlight was enough to wake him. Years of tending and watching the beacon ingrained in him the need to be aware, and awake in moments, and could not be easily unlearned. A body pushed to the brink forgot all discipline and habit.

Then something disturbed him at the edge of his awareness. He tried to push it away, releasing a soft groan, and sink back into the deep, numb rest. But it was gone and he could not get it back. Like the burnt embers of his home. The loss struck him upon waking as if he had watched it burn all over again, standing helplessly by. Next came the pain and the weakness.

Harlan blinked to clear the fog from his eyes, slow to recognize where he was and who was beside him. And who wasn’t. Panic gripped him and he sat up, placed his free hand where Parry had been curled up, searching, feeling the absence of a constant companion. The two had not been parted for as long as he could remember and the hound was getting on in years. If the worst happened while he slept, he would never forgive himself.

He wanted to stand, to seek Parry out, but Sigrid was in his way and even if he had the strength to do so, he wasn’t about to push past a healer who graciously allowed him here and provided care and food without question. Feeling the warmth of her hand, his face crumpled in anguish. It was a gesture meant to soften bad news. A vague memory from childhood surfaced, of someone touching his hand just so, telling him he was an orphan. After everything he lost, losing Parry was unimaginable.

“Where is he?” he asked hoarsely. “What’s happened to my dog?”

Steward of Gondor
@Tuilindo

Xyler
Apprentice

No sooner had Xyler finished with the towel than the dog had returned. He blinked, a little surprised how quickly he got that stick. "Wow, good job," he spoke with a tone as if he were quite impressed and proud of the dog. Knowing very little about dogs in general, he figured they might be sort of like small children, anyway. "Want me to throw it again, do you?" he laughed and reached for the stick and watched the dog for a moment while he rolled on the ground. At least it was in the grass, not the shore around the lake. Though he was still wet, and a few bits of grass stuck to his fur, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as he had been. And at least his fur was clean now. "Ready to get the stick again?" Xyler waved the stick to get the dog's attention. Once he had it he moved his hand as if he would throw it, but paused, waiting to see if he was fooled by the move, before actually throwing it. This time, hoping to keep him running in the warm sun for a little longer, Xyler threw it as far as he could out into the nearby field. Watching for a moment as the dog took off after the stick, the boy then laid back in the grass himself, hoping to dry off a little, himself.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

The whole procedure seemed to take much less time than she had expected, and less pain; besides she felt awfully sleepy. Usually she would have objected to being restricted in what she was allowed to do, but this time she felt like any sort of argument would require too much effort, so she had merely nodded in agreement to everything.

The tea seemed to almost have knocked Hadassa out, and she drifted into a deep sleep, snoring softly. Even when Sigrid had returned to take a look at her and give her additional admonishments of taking things easy, the young woman had only opened one eye and said: "Yes... yes, ma'am."

Eventually the effects of the tea had worn off enough, yet Hadassa remained in bed, yawning and looking at the ceiling. It had been a long time since she had felt so relaxed and rested, and she did not like the idea of losing that feeling. However, when the healer returned with food and drink, it reminded the woman that she had other needs too, and that she was rather hungry.

"Ohhhhh, this looks so tasty," she said, mostly to herself, breathing in the scent of the hot meal and using her good arm to get herself into seated position so she could get to eating before the food cooled down.

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

Sigrid's face was likely a whole show of its own as it went through surprise, worry and guilt all in the matter of a couple of seconds. Her heart was still hammering wildly from his sudden shifting from laying there to sitting up. The groan before he had moved had had her concerned, worried that he might be far more malnourished and weaker than she had thought, her mind already jumping to solutions to getting nutrition into him if he did not wake. But that was quickly drowned out as Harlan shot up like a bat out of a cave, even jumping a little and letting out a small stifled squeak as she inadvertantly squeezed his hand a little firmer.

But the anguish on his face almost undid her. Her eyes stung with withheld tears at the look of what could only be classified as heartbreak. By no means had she meant to do that to him, completely unaware of just how attached he must be with his dog to have this kind of reaction.

Flustered with guilt and stuttering, she tried to reassure him as quickly as she could, stumbling over her words. "Nonono, please, your dog is fine. Xyler just took him for a bath, that's all, he-he is fine. He was just a bit, you know, a bit dirty and smelly and I thought he could do with a bath if he was going to stay in here. Oh Valar, I am so sorry, I did not mean to upset you like this, I promise he is fine, he should be back in a few moments.. sorry.."

The grip on his hand was still tight as the words spilled out of her, large blue eyes flicking back and forth between his to ensure that he was understanding what she was saying, her words ending in almost a whisper, the dinner momentarily forgotten.

High Lord of Imladris
Trewyn
Apprentice
With Afird

She hummed softly to herself (and a bit to the dwarf who had fallen silent as well for a while after her comment on the Woses and Druedain) as she washed the dwarfs lower limbs she began the task of picking thorns and small debris from the wounds carefully assessing the scratches and cuts upon his legs and feet with care. "Master dwarf I think you've gotten your legs in worse shape than my son ever managed on his misadventures." She said with a kind smile as she finished cleaning the wounds. Fortunately none were truly deep enough to need stitches one was close so she would leave it be for now and put salve and bandages upon the rest of the wounds which would keep them clean and help speed his healing. She was about to call Sigrid to see if she should put a few stitches in the one cut which on the bottom of the dwarfs foot which is why she was hesitant to stitch it - such a place tended to be tender and hard to keep stitched shut perhaps Sigrid would know. Before she could go and ask the healer though the dwarf revealed his hands.

Trewyn sat back a look on her face of a mother who had been shown the last bit of mischief a child had gotten into before she could even school her face. She shut her eyes and gave her head a small shake. "I suppose I should have expected your hands to be wounded as well, one does not end up with their legs in such a state without their hands being injured as well when one goes for a jaunt through a briar patch." She gave the dwarf a gentle pat on his knee and nodded. "Of course we tend hands and arms here as well would be quite foolish if we did not for our patients." With that she set the basin down on the table beside him and gently held out a hand waiting for one of the dwarfs scratched upper limbs so she might begin the task of cleaning it as well. She had missed Sigrid getting someone to give the dog a wash but she heard the reaction from Sigrid more than she heard Harlans words which had been soft enough she'd missed them while washing the dwarfs hands.

Her heart was in her throat and she looked at Sigrid who was doing her best to calm down Harlan and she let out a soft sigh. She looked back at Afird doing her best to calm herself down, she'd promised the man she'd make sure his dog was safe which the dog was but he hadn't known that. She would see if she could talk to Harlan after she finished with Afird.

"Right Master Afird," She picked a few splinters from his arm. "I can say at least this arm isn't going to need any stitches. I'll need to finish cleaning your other arm to make sure it doesn't need any stitches but so far there is only one real wound that might need stitches. I'll ask Sigrid the healer over there with the other patient as once we've gotten everything cleaned up and bandaged that doesn't need stitches." She said softly doing her best to at least for now concentrate on her current patient.
Sereg a Dîn

Ent Ancient
Harlan with Sigrid & Parry with Xyler
Patient(s)

The human threw the stick through the air again and Parry chased after it. He was not quite as fast as he once was but it was still exhilarating to be on the hunt. Again and again, they played and Parry’s tail wagged back and forth with delight. But the human, though young, seemed to grow tired and laid down on the ground for a nap. With no stick to chase, Parry was left to his own devices. He sniffed along the lakeshore and among the rushes, learning who all had passed this way before him and whose home he was treading upon, until one particular scent nabbed his nose and attention. Parry followed it over a small hillock, never leaving the trail for a moment…and all the practice he had with the sticks paid off! With his tail held out with pride, he hurried back to the human to show off his prize. He clutched a baby bunny in his maw, freshly killed, taken from its den. Did someone say dinner?

Time moved achingly slowly as Harlan waited for Sigrid’s answer. He knew reality. He knew a few moments or even mere seconds could change a life, or end one, forever. Life hung on by a tender tether so easily split. He sat on a blanketed bed in a warm tent beside someone with a comforting presence and yet he was on the edge of a cliff, ready to crumble like a mountainous rockfall into a scattering of dust.

He clutched her hand tight, tighter than he intended, as if somehow holding on might change the devastating words about to stream from her mouth. As soon as she spoke, the painful tightness in his chest receded, the invisible rod that shot up his spine and pinched his shoulders together disappeared, and he released a long slow breath.

Parry was alive and well. As well as he could be given a bath, anyway. Focusing on the good news, he barely heard her call his dog smelly and dirty nor took any offense at it. He slouched forward and hid his face in his free hand, shielding his eyes from her and letting the relief wash over him.

“Thank Bema,” he murmured to his lap. “Thank you,” he added, lifting his head to look at her and admitting a bit haltingly, “I– I don’t know what I would do if anything happened to him.”

Now that his imminent despair had faded, he was able to see Sigrid more clearly. He had noticed she was young before, surprised she was already in charge of the Infirmary. Now he saw wisdom in her eyes, too. Blue eyes that had clearly seen much more heartache in her years than the death of a dog.

Suddenly, he felt foolish for being so visibly distraught before a stranger, and he cleared his throat. “Parry isn’t very fond of baths…I hope this Xyler knows what he’s gotten himself into.” Harlan dared a smile for her, half-apologetic, half self-deprecating on behalf of his pup, in an attempt to smooth the wrinkle in her brow and lift some of the sorrow from her gaze.

Steward of Gondor
@Kirinki

Xyler
Apprentice

Xyler nearly dozed off, but after a somewhat lengthy time, he began to become aware that it had been a little while since the dog had taken off after the stick. He frowned and sat up, looking around. "Dog? Here boy!" He called, listening. After a moment, he stood up and peered across the field, growing worried when he saw no sign of him. That wasn't good. Having very little experience with dogs, the young man began to worry that he had failed his first task as an apprentice healer. Had he lost the patient's dog? He was just about to start off in the direction the dog had went, when suddenly he caught a flash of the red fur, and soon saw him bounding toward him again. Xyler let out a sigh of relief, and waited.

The nearer the dog came, the more Xyler realized he had something in his mouth, but it wasn't a stick. He tilted his head, watching, until he got near enough to see what it was. Oh... Xyler felt a little sad for the baby bunny, and took a moment to decide how he ought to react. The dog looked very proud of himself, and Xyler couldn't really bring himself to chide him, especially it being someone else's dog. "You caught something there, didn't you?" He knelt down and held out a hand, hoping he would surrender the bunny. "I guess you know your master needs food, huh?" he spoke softly. "I guess I'll see if they can use it in the cooking." He patted the dog on the head and scratched around his ears. "You're a good boy, you know, trying to help your master. Let's go see how he's doing, huh? We'll get this cleaned up and cooked for him and make sure he gets good and strong again." Smiling, he headed back toward the infirmary tent, looking for whoever might be in charge of cooking the food so he could turn the young rabbit over to them.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

Visible relief washed over her newest patient while a new wave of guilt washed over her.

But the dog was dirty! Full of germs and Valar knows what else and this was an infirmary! She had to protect all the other patients!

Her mind reeled, defending her choice to get the dog washed battling with the overwhelming guilt of having caused someone such great pain. She was a healer, she wasn't supposed to cause the pain. But sometimes that was inevitable though, wasn't it? Resetting bones, applying salves to burns, washing out wounds, operating. All caused pain, though were done to help heal. But as Harlan leaned forward to hide his face in his free hand, she still felt the ache in her own heart and swallowed a hard lump in her throat when he admitted that he would not know what to do if he lost the dog. She knew the feeling all too well, Dash was all the family she had left now, if she didn't count Alwin and she knew she would be equally devastated should anything happen to him.

But what was done was done and there was no way she could change it. All she could do was to make a mental note not to send a dog off for a bath without checking with the owner first. Blinking away the sting in her eyes, she rolled her shoulders back a little and took a deep breath, letting out a small chuckle at her patient's attempt at alleviating the tense moment, though his smile and knowledgeable eyes made her flustered.

"I am sure Xyler will be fine, he seems like a capable young lad.." at least she hoped so, her slight doubt making her eyes flick towards the tent opening. Imagining the boy returning completely drenched pulled at the corner of her mouth and with a small cough she gently pried her hand from Harlan's and got up.

"Let's get you seated a bit better.." she said as she began rearranging the pillows and stacking them behind his back to give him better support. A lot of fluffing occured before she was satisfied and she even straightened the blankets before handing him the tray with food, leaving the ale on the bedside table so that he didn't have to balance that as well on his lap.

"You eat up and I will go check on the two and make sure they are alright.." She gave him an apologetic smile and scurried off out the tent feeling oddly out of sorts and without an answer as to why, only to arrive at the cooking fire at the same time as Xyler and the dog.

"Ah! There you are! Well that's good, I see he is a bit more clean than before" she said with a smile in her voice, pleased to see that the dog hadn't made it too difficult on the young man.

(My deepest apologies for keeping you both waiting so long!)

Steward of Gondor
@Winddancer

Xyler
Apprentice

Xyler glanced up, smiling to see the healer out there. Perhaps she could tell him what they ought to do in this situation. "Hello. Yes, here we are," He motioned toward the hound, who carried his prize proudly. Xyler hesitated. "He uh.. wanted to help his master recover," He explained with a shrug, indicating the little bunny. He couldn't blame the dog for following his basic instincts to hunt, yet he would have preferred the little creature hadn't been killed. It was only a baby, after all.

"I thought perhaps to cook it up, maybe the dog would feel as if he's been helpful. And the man, maybe, would be pleased to know his dog was able to contribute." He added, with another shrug. He wasn't entirely sure how much awareness of such things a dog could have, but they also didn't know that the dog wasn't aware, so who were they to say one way or the other? "What do you think, Healer Sigrid?" He added, hoping she would have some sort of good input about all of this.

(No worries!)
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ent Ancient
Harlan and Parry with Sigrid and Xyler
Patient(s)

Sigrid’s gentle laugh melted her tension like sunbathed snow spring snow in the foothills. The sound was warm and soothing, and her eyes brightened momentarily, burdens forgotten. Satisfied he had managed to assuage her worries and lighten her mood, Harlan burrowed himself deeper into the bed, releasing a rather content sigh for a man in his rough condition.

Releasing his hand, she leaned closer to rearrange his blankets and pillows. “You don’t need to–” he began to protest, then decided to be a willing and agreeable patient, submitting to her ministrations. It would take less energy for both of them and he was mindful there were other patients in need of care. Every motion she took was with great care and intent. She avoided touching his bandaged wound and brushed him with only the slightest touch.

He felt completely helpless allowing her to do so, maneuvering around him, and fluffing pillows as if he were an invalid when he was a perfectly capable man. Most of the time, anyway. Harlan avoided her gaze, uncomfortable with being taken care of, and determined he would repay her tenfold and prove himself industrious as soon as he possibly could.

Before he could mumble his thanks, she had passed him a try of food and moved on. A faint herbal scent lingered in her absence, pleasant and fresh, reminiscent of his alpine home. He closed his eyes for a moment to better breathe it in, finding enough comfort in the fragrance to begin eating.

Parry trotted along beside Xyler, tail held high, eager to return to his pack-mate human. He held the rabbit firm in his jaw, teeth closed tight around the small creature, refusing to give up his kill until they returned to the smelly tents full of stinky dead plants and sick humans. Sick humans were one of the worst smells. It was not a pleasant place but Parry would suffer through it, and anything, for his Harlan.

The longhaired human who suggested he get a bath, and seemed to be the pack leader, was there. He ran up to her, ears perked for scratches and pets, and sat before her.

“Woof!” Parry barked, and the dead rabbit tumbled from his mouth to Sigrid’s feet. Now who needed a bath?

(ooc: no worries! <3)

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

"Ooh! Oh.." Sigrid looked at the rabbit dropped at her feet, unsure of how to respond. Obviously the dog was used to hunting animals, that much was clear. However what was she meant to do with the small rabbit? There was far from enough to feed even one, and it seemed slightly unsanitary. So she did the only thing she could think of.

"Good boy, such a good boy!" Leaning forward she petted the dog, praising it for it's catch. "You eat it, go on boy, all for you!" She flicked her eyes towards Xyler and shrugged her shoulders. She had never had a dog before, though she was sure it could manage it. Right?

"I might need to get it something more than that though, that is not likely to fill his belly." She stared at the dog for a long moment, wondering what had happened to him and his owner that they were so starved.

Snapping out of it, she returned her attention back to Xyler. "Please, help yourself to some food too." She pointed at the pot, the bowls stood on a small table nearby. "There are also chunks of bread, butter for that," she said as she was turning away from the dog and it's prize. "And some ale" she added as she rummaged through a stash of leftover bones she was going to use for bone broth.

"Hmm, this should do.." She tossed a large round bone to the dog and then wiped her hands on a towel, giving Alwin a smile as he joined them. He knew to help himself as well, though he waited til Xyler was done before spooning some of the stew into bowls for him and Sigrid.

Steward of Gondor
@Winddancer

Xyler
Apprentice

Watching how Sigrid responded to the challenging situation, Xyler smiled a little bigger. He shrugged back to her and watched the dog. It seemed perfect, in theory. They had plenty of food to offer the man, after all, and this way the dog could enjoy the fruits of his labor. Xyler had no idea how the dog would react to this, of course, but he hoped he'd accept that the rabbit was for him to enjoy. In fact, it seemed that, if the man had become so weakened from hunger that he needed to be here... the dog must be pretty hungry too. He wondered if the small rabbit would be enough for him.

Sigrid was just saying something along those same lines, actually. "Yeah," Xyler nodded thoughtfully. "Is the man awake yet?" he wondered, figuring he might like to have his dog nearby. Having never had a pet, Xyler could only guess at how he might feel in his situation, but he'd heard that a dog was a man's best friend. Although, here in Rohan, folks tended to be a bit more partial to their horses, he thought with some amusement.

The healer's suggestion to help himself to the food surprised Xyler slightly. "Oh, well, don't you need any more help inside?" He motioned toward the infirmary. "I had a couple of apples earlier," he shrugged, implying he wasn't really all that hungry at the moment. Which may or may not be true... either way, he stepped aside to let the other guy get at the pot of food. "I could bring food the patients, if you'd like? If it hasn't been done already..." He offered, determined to be helpful to those who needed help, before he would sit down to eat.

Ent Ancient
Harlan and Parry
Patient(s)

Parry leaned into Sigrid’s hand, tail thumping on the ground with joy, and luxuriated in her attention and praise. He was a good boy! How nice of her to tell him so. He looked from human to human and when neither of them took the rabbit for themselves, he dug in, tearing flesh from bone and filling his tummy. They didn’t seem to understand pack dynamics and sharing food, a routine for him and Harlan. After scraping every last morsel from his prey, he scooped the bone in his maw and padded into the tent to sniff out his human…

Crumbs littered Harlan’s tray and he washed the meal down with ale. After some rest and broth, he was able to eat more, and each bite took less effort than the ones before. Warm and fed, though far from healthy, fatigue began to draw shadows in his vision once more. Eyelids drooping, he burrowed into the pillows and thick blankets, only to be disturbed by a sudden weight flopping on his chest.

Parry dropped the bone in his lap and nudged his wet nose into face. “Parry,” Harlan gasped, tucking his fingers into his fur and stroking him. “I thought you were gone,” he whispered. “Don’t leave me, boy.” The dog’s breath was warm on his neck and face, his weight pleasant and comforting as he wrapped his arms around the hound, holding him close as if he would never let go.

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

"Oh no! Wait! Oh.. fiddlesticks.." Sigrid watched the dog go back into the tent with the bone, following him to the entrance. She watched as the dog jumped up and layed across his owner and she almost pushed inside, intent on getting the dog to come back out to eat that bone. But the embrace halted her. She felt her throat tighten painfully as she watched Harlan hug the dog to him. How could she in good conscience force the dog to leave when it was so obvious that Harlan needed him there? Her eyes flickered to the bone dropped in his lap and cringed, but she knew it was a lost battle.

Sighing she turned back to Xyler. "Hm? Oh, sorry. We have already given everyone their meal." Though distracted, she noted the eagerness to help and gave him a smile. "You eat your dinner and after you can help me clear up and check on the patients, deal?"

Her eyes flicked to Alwin, catching his smile and wink and refrained from rolling her eyes. Yes yes, she had been this eager too. Grabbing her own bowl, she sat down by the fire and began eating, a thoughtful expression on her face as her eyes kept darting towards the tent.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It was late as she did her final rounds. Having already sent Alwin and Trewyn off to bed, she took her time checking on each of the sleeping patients, directing Xyler with what to do in a soft whisper. Blankets were tucked, cups were filled with fresh water and candles were blown out at each bedside. Reaching Harlan's bed, she leaned down to scratch the dog's head, trying not to look at the bone lying in the man's lap.

With a gentle touch in an attempt to not to wake him, she carefully took a hold of his wrist and felt for a pulse. With practiced ease she counted it out, pleased enough with the result. Releasing his wrist, she looked to Xyler for him to do it as well to see if he would know how to, her hand moving to stroke the dog's head.

Steward of Gondor
@Winddancer @Sparraqueen

Xyler
Apprentice

Watching the dog take off toward his master, Xyler was a little unsure whether he should try and stop him, but it was a bit too late by now. He watched Sigrid attempt it, but the head healer soon returned, apparently unsuccessful. "He didn't cause any trouble, did he?" Xyler asked, checking. As she insisted there was nothing for him to do just now, Xyler shrugged. "Alright, deal." He grinned and moved to get some of the food, since there wasn't anything else to do for the moment. He could just about always take a meal, it had something to do with that 'growing teenage boy' thing his grandma was always talking about.

Following Sigrid around on her rounds of the patients, Xyler was somewhat curious how she could so easily keep up with so many patients at once. He'd only ever had at most two or maybe three to deal with, back home. There weren't that many people who lived in the village, and so it was unlikely there would be more than a few to get injured, or be sick, all at the same time. There were many quiet questions as they moved from patient to patient, about this or that one's condition, what happened to them, and so on. He tried not to be too loud about it, knowing they needed rest, but there were so many of them, and earlier he had only seen two people; Hadassa and Harlan.

Standing back while Sigrid checked on the latter of those two, Xyler gently scratched around the dog's ears. Then as Sigrid motioned for him to come and check the man's pulse, he left from giving the dog attention, and moved to closer. Gently, he took the man's wrist, placing his first two fingers on the spot where the vein could be felt, evidently having a fair amount of practice at this, himself. Glancing questioningly to Sigrid, he wondered if there was anything in particular he should be taking note of, aside from the rate of the patient's pulse.

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

She confirmed with Xyler that they had both gotten the same result, or as close to before gently tucking Harlan's hand back under the covers. Giving the dog another scratch on the head she lead Xyler back out of the tent.

"Right young man, I know you likely have a ton of questions. But they can all wait. Grab a lantern and head to bed" she said with a nod towards two lanterns set by the fire. "No arguing, I need you up bright and early to relieve me together with Trewyn, ok?" She placed a hand on his shoulder to guide him towards the cabins.

Before turning to walk back into the tent to watch over the patients, she smiled at him "Xyler? Well done. You have done really well today, I am sure you will make a great healer. Well you already are, but a more knowledgeable one."

Chuckling softly she sent him off before heading back in.

Even though she and Xyler had just checked all the patients, all were checked once more. Blankets straightened, glasses filled with water and pillows fluffed where needed before she quietly sat herself by the tiny desk next to the huge storage cupboard. With only the one candle burning the tent was fairly dark, yet allowing her to sort out what was needed in regards to bookkeeping and ensuring all notes were completed on each patient which made for easy tracking so all knew what had been given and when.

Several hours passed with only the faint sounds of patients shifting and her quill softly scratching over the parchment. As she made the last note, she placed her chin on her hand, staring into space as she let her thoughts wander. A sad look seemed to cross her features for a long while before she finally visibly shook it off as if admonishing herself for allowing herself to mull over something she shouldn't.

Steward of Gondor
@Winddancer @Hungry Hare

Xyler
Apprentice

He smiled, pleased to hear he had done well today. "Thank you, ma'am." He replied. And now, it seemed it was time to go home. Or, what was to be home from now on. The realization had not quite had a chance to set in, but now that he turned away from the infirmary and headed toward his cabin, Xyler began to think about everything that he would need to do. He'd only been in there briefly, but had only seen a basic table and chair when he did go in to put his gear down.

For a moment, he paused to remember which one he'd picked. Wandering down the row, he was relieved to spot a recognizable feature about the one he had selected earlier, and cautiously peeked inside to make sure. There was his pack, still in the middle of the entry room. Relieved, Xyler looked around and let out a little sigh, remembering all the dust and such that he had to take care of. He had yet to have a chance to explore around for cleaning supplies or anything of the sort. He'd have to remember to ask someone about that tomorrow.

Taking a moment to poke around, he was glad to find a broom in one of the cabinets. At least he could sweep the floor. He brushed the tabletop off with his hand as well as he could, then swept all the dust from the front room before exploring the rest of the little cabin. Much to his surprise, there was a bed in the back room! That was a nice surprise. He'd brought a bedroll from home, and had expected to have to unroll it on the floor for tonight. After shaking any dust out of the mattress, he swept the floor of that room, then spread out his blankets on the bed. It certainly didn't feel like home yet, but he'd add more stuff later. Looking around, he realized there was really not much else left to do. Deciding he was finished, since he had nothing else to do, the young man went to bed so he could be well rested for whatever tomorrow held.

Master Torturer
Sigrid
Healer

The tent flaps had been pulled back at the first sign of dawn, letting in the cool morning air. Stood half leaning against the center pole, Sigrid watched the sunrise as she did every morning, revelling in the quiet beauty. All the patients had been checked and she had ensured none were left wanting of anything. Even the dog had been ushered out to relieve himself before he returned to his master and plopped back down on the bed. She had worried that the sudden weight would wake Harlan, but thankfully the man stayed asleep.

Hiding a yawn behind a hand, Sigrid tore herself from her spot and headed out of the large tent. Busying herself with chucking more wood on the fire, she grabbed the cauldron and hung it over the pit. Water and oats were added to it, along with some butter and cinnamon, leaving it to cook while she occasionally stirred it in between setting out the trays for the patients breakfast.

"Morning Sigrid.." Alwin's quiet voice made her look up and she greeted him with a smile.

"Morning, another beautiful sunrise, wasn't it?" She grinned as the man merely grunted in agreement. He was not a man of many words. "Perfect timing, the porridge is just about done."

Alwin was already grabbing the pads to grab the culdron and take it off the fire, making Sigrid chuckle. She gave him an appreciative smile, knowing he did not care much for being constantly thanked. It's my job, would be his retort.

Bread with butter and honey accompanied the porridge, along with either coffee or tea depending on which the patient chose. Afird and Hadassa were given theirs before she carried a tray to Harlan, a bowl of meat scraps brought along for the dog. Setting it down on the small table next to the bed, she careful sat on the edge of the bed giving the dog a scratch under it's chin before she gently took a hold of Harlan's hand to rouse him. "Morning, time for some food.."

Steward of Gondor
@Winddancer

Xyler
Apprentice

The first few rays of sunlight filtered dimly in through the window, waking Xyler gradually. He blinked his eyes open and then sat up quickly. Windows. That's what he'd forgotten to clean. They were a bit dusty. He got up and hurriedly dressed, trying to estimate what time it was. Hurrying out as soon as he had finished dressing, he hurried toward the infirmary tent, stopping at the area where they cooked the food. It looked like there was porridge cooking, this morning.

"Uh, question... where could I find some cleaning supplies?" He addressed whoever was there. He glanced around, not seeing Sigrid, and wasn't sure where he should go. He could only assume it had been a little while since anyone lived in the house he'd chosen, which was fine with him, it just meant he'd need to clean up all the dust. "Also, firewood," He added, remembering he hadn't really known where to find that either. "And where can I find Healer Sigrid, I'm supposed to relieve her?" He posed his final question, fearing he might be late since he hadn't woken as early as he had expected.

Ent Ancient
Harlan (and Parry)
Patients

Warm and content, Harlan slept deep and restful, far from the pain and agony of his troubles. Normally one to rouse at the slightest disturbance, he slept sound through the night, even through Parry’s waking and hopping from the bed, through the dog’s return to his side, and even through the refreshing scent of freshly cooked hot breakfast. Parry was snuggled close to his side, the two keeping warm and cozy together.

Only when Sigrid touched his hand, a warm and gentle caress, and murmured a morning greeting was Harlan pulled from his slumber. Darkness faded to grey, grey misted to the muted morning colors and textures of the Infirmary tent and the face of the healer beside him. Harlan peeled his eyes open slowly, blinking away blurry sleep a few times, fighting the heaviness of his eyelids. He rubbed his eyes with his free hand and then scratched Parry between the ears with a fond smile on his face.

“Morning.” Still smiling, Harlan greeted Sigrid quietly, his throat still raw and tired from sleep. He breathed in the scent of spiced porridge and hot tea. “It smells delicious.”

Patience wearing thin, Parry whined quietly, his eyes wide and shining, practically begging for the bowl of meat scraps. He licked his lips and laid a paw on Harlan’s lap, easing himself forward, eager to dig into his share. “And I’m not the only one who thinks so…” Harlan laughed softly. ”Go on, Parry,” Harlan gently told the dog, who obeyed and climbed down from the bed.

“Will you place his bowl on the floor, please?” Harlan asked Sigrid. “I hope he hasn’t been a nuisance at all…” He cleared his throat. “In fact, I’d like to take a walk outside with him today. I’d like to breathe the fresh air and feel the sun on my face.” Harlan paused, glancing toward the tent’s entrance. “Or the breeze and clouds if that is the way the wind blows…”