Houses of Healing II

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Houses of Healing treatment room 3, with @Arnyn
2 days after arriving in HOH

Trastion frowned slightly. Head of the family. He didn't particularly like hearing it worded like that. True, the man was married to the lady of the household, but.. it still didn't feel right calling him the head of the family. He shrugged slightly, frowning. "Aearonor would have come into his inheritance by now, had he lived." He mentioned quietly. "He would have been lord of the estate. Not our stepfather." He glanced at Arnyn and smiled, wondering how she managed to deduce things so swiftly and seeming without effort. "But... yes. With both of us gone, he would be next in line to inherit." He agreed. "That was his plan. To get rid of us, and become lord of our land. So his son.. my stepbrother, could be the ruler of it all, someday." He shrugged slightly.

Sighing, Trastion went on. "I've thought about it a lot since I left. See.. he and my father were cousins. And, though his mother was older than her brother -my grandfather- he got everything. Because of certain rules in Belfalas, she couldn't inherit the estate; only a male can. Which, I personally think is ridiculous, to be honest, but that's how it is, and has been for many generations. So my grandfather was the one to inherit it all. Apparently, my stepfather didn't feel that was fair, and thought he should have been the one to get it all." He frowned. "I don't know whether he had any involvement in my father's death or not.." He said slowly, looking thoughtful. "I don't know a lot about how he died, she never told me much.." He hesitated. "It happened before I was born, so I never met him." He had always been rather saddened by that, wishing he could have known his father. "My mother always used to say I was just like him." He added with a tiny smile. "Though, she always said it like it was a bad thing.." he laughed faintly, then grinned. "I took it as a compliment, though."

"Anyway." He realized he'd delved into intricate matters that probably didn't interest Arnyn that much. Her latter question brought a slight laugh. His reason for joining the rangers. "No.. not quite." He ran his hand through his hair, thinking how to answer that. "I signed up because I truly wanted to be a ranger." He shrugged, answering truthfully. He looked over at her with a slightly sad smile. "My brother was always being pushed to be this...model of responsibility, you know? And.. well, he went along with our mother's demands, because she was our mother and he wanted to please her and be respectful, set a good example and live up to her expectations. But she..." He frowned, unsure how to put this. "She expected so much out of him. Like he was perfect or something. And honestly, to hear her talk, you'd think he was perfect, all the time. And he always hated it, though he wouldn't say so to her."

Trastion sighed. "So. Sort of..as a way to unwind from all the stress and get away for a bit, he'd go off in the woods for long periods. I went with him a lot." he smiled, remembering. "We'd go off into the woods for hours or sometimes days, camping and exploring.. and forget about all the rigid rules and expectations and stress and responsibility, and just.. have fun. Like normal brothers." He smiled. "And we talked about all sorts of things. But one of the things we used to talk about.. he'd always say it like he was joking, but sometimes I felt like he was serious.. he'd talk about how one day he was going to just take off and live in the woods from then on, and said maybe he'd become a ranger, and how that always sounded like the greatest life." He looked down, saddened again. "He promised if he ever did that, he'd take me with him, so I wouldn't get stuck having to fill his shoes. I always felt glad that I wasn't the oldest." He took a slow breath. "But, then.. when he died.. Mother..tried to cram me into his place, so to speak." He shook his head, frowning. "But I couldn't be Aearon. I didn't want to be him, and there was no replacing him. And I.. I didn't want her running my life, making all my decisions, telling me everything I should do...who I should marry. And then I heard this plot, and... I knew she'd never believe me if I told her what I'd heard. She'd say I was making it up to cause trouble for my stepfather." He glanced up. "After I left, it took a couple of years before I realized that I could actually pursue that dream of being a ranger, instead of.. what Mother wanted for me. For us." He bit his lip, a slightly pained look on his face at that wording, but didn't retract it. "I.. try to think of it as if Aearon is here with me, as if he's.. I don't know."

Taking a deep breath, he returned his thought to the last thing she had said. "Yes.. that, is exactly what I feared he had done. That's what he did to Aearon." He answered quietly. He smiled wryly. "When you mentioned that thing about poison, that day on the training grounds.. I wondered.. but there are other ways too. Things that would be impossible to predict, or anticipate." He sighed. "I left the job in the quarry because someone came around asking about me. Someone who works for him, that I recognized. But he may have employed other people by now that I wouldn't recognize. There have been a few people to see me around here, like Abrazimir Dimaethor, who might have recognized me. I tried to put him off track as well as I could, but... if he mentioned to any of his relatives that he'd seen me, or even thought that he'd seen me.. and that I'm training with the rangers now...news like that could easily get back to my stepfather. I'm worried... but I'm also determined not to run again." He looked at Arnyn, the determination evident in his face.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

She frowned while Trastion agreed with her assessment and listened to the rules of inheritance. Yes, she knew that is how it worked. A slight smile flashed over her face when Trastion hurried to say he thought it was wrong that the men inherited the estates over the women. Was that for her benefit? Or would he have added the sentiment just as well if he had been speaking to a man? Regardless, she believed the recruit when he said he did not agree with the practice, and she nodded briefly.

When they returned to his reason for joined the Rangers, Arnyn had to admit she was relieved. He recognized he would not be free from danger even if he had the combat skills required to be a ranger. That, she felt, was crucial. Plus, it meant he was not just using the rangers as a way to get over his fear of going home. That was reassuring. While Arnyn was all for helping others, it would not have felt right to put in all the effort to train a young man who would then simply leave once he felt like he had learned enough to take care of himself back home. Trastion wanted to be here. The Rangers were not just a means to an end, to him. It they had been, Arnyn would have been very disappointed.

While Trastion continued, Arnyn silently marvelled at the sudden flood of information he was allowing to break free from his carefully constructed dam. It must not have been easy, keeping all of this to himself. Ever since he'd left home.. for fear of his life. After losing the brother he loved so much.

"I think the dead stay with us, because we remember them. We know or suspect what would make them smile, or feel proud. And in that way, they do not leave us..." Arnyn rose, corssing her arms, and walked over to the window, despite the closed curtains. "Abrazimir may have recognized you? You met him then, in Belfalas? And now here?" She turned back around to face Trastion, just when he was giving her that determined look. Arnyn smiled softly. "Good. Because you're not alone anymore. I understand you do not want the news or even any suspicions to return to Belfalas. I assume you are not sure what Abrazimir might say or not say upon his return home? I know he is a man of honour, not unlike a friend I used to have. I do not believe he would speak of suspicions, if he had any, except perhaps to a trusted friend."

Thoughtful, she continued. "If he recognized you, he would have made note of you intentionally hiding your identity. And I dare say he would respect that choice. Since it is yours to make, not his."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Healer Linaiwe with Apprentice Erynneth
Kitchen/towards Trastion’s treatment room
4 days after Midsummer

“Actions depend on what you see when you inspect the patient,” Linaiwe said, while she followed towards the delicious scent wafting from the kitchen the closer they got. “If there is bleeding, the first step is to stop it. If there is no bleeding, the best course of action is to get the patient to rest. A few days, a week, more if it is really bad.”

Stepping into the kitchen the healer spoke a bit with the cooks and then handed Erynneth a tray. “Hold it level!” she said, and then proceeded to load it with a bowl of stew, two slices of buttered bread and a sweet roll on a separate plate, and a pitcher of flavoured water with a cup to go with it. “A spoon, then.” She said as if to remind herself that patients should not be left to eat their stew by handfuls.

“Headache, dizziness, disorientation, poor coordination, perhaps nausea and throwing up,” she counted off the few main symptoms of concussion, opening the door for Eryn with the loaded tray. “The pupils of their eyes would be enlarged, sometimes uneven in size. It is certainly unpleasant, if not always very dangerous. Depends on how severe the injury was.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Captain/Master Healer Pele Alarion
Garden
4 days after Midsummer

“I am not sure what would have happened,” Pele muttered, mostly to herself. The thought of getting home had been what had kept her going through all that long way back from Umbar, even there had been doubts. A lot of doubt. And she did not dare to think of what would be her fate had she not returned.

“I suppose I do need a reminder now and then,” she then said more loudly and smiled back at Arnyn. “That trap of guilt is still hard to avoid at times.”

Pele’s smile faded when she returned to the matter of Trastion. “I fear it is only the matter of time before Relic decides to kill someone if we do not root her out eventually and catch her. Or get rid of her altogether. But it seems that she is content to cause less impressive trouble to us for now, but who knows for how long. And I hope she has not chosen Trastion as some sort of special target,” she said, and added after a brief moment of thought. “It seems that you have formed a good bond with him during training, perhaps you can inconspicuously investigate if there is any cause for such concern.”

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Apprentice Erynneth Raedor
With Linaiwe 4 days after Midsummer

As the tray was handed to her, Eryn took it in both hands and held it carefully while Linaiwe loaded it down with food. It grew heavier as she added a pitcher, but Eryn held the tray steady. She looked over the various items as Linaiwe added them, and was about to mention the spoon when the healer thought of it herself. Eryn smiled. "It all smells very good." She declared, the pleasant aroma of the stew drifting up toward her as she held the tray.

Listening to the ways they could help such a patient, Eryn thought about that. "Are there any teas that might help such an injury?" She wondered. "Herbs and such, I mean?" She wanted to learn all that she could about this. "What is so dangerous about it, exactly? Is it because it has to do with the brain, and like, wounds that we can't see?" She tried to guess at the reason. A big gash could be stitched, but a wound that couldn't be seen.. couldn't easily be treated, she imagined. Hopefully Trastion would be alright.

Recruit Trastion Leithor

Trastion smiled faintly at Arnyn's words. "Yeah." He agreed quietly. "I often wonder what Aearon would say or do, if he was here." He sighed, then smiled slightly. "I think he'd have liked you." He mentioned. Her question about him having met Abrazimir before brought a little hesitation. "Once or twice, yes.." He admitted a little awkwardly. "My mother and his mother are very close friends, but I mostly avoided going to all those fancy parties my mother loved so much." He explained. "Or any other event where I had to get dressed up." He added, thinking of how he used to go out in the woods so he could get out of such things.

Listening to what she said about Abrazimir, and what she thought he would do, Trastion frowned thoughtfully, wondering if she was right. "I don't know him very well. Hardly at all. But.. well I suppose he has a good reason to tell his family if he'd seen me," He hesitated, wondering if he wanted to tell Arnyn that bit of information. "I hope you're right. He has always seemed more...approachable than his father, at least."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
Healer Linaiwe with Apprentice Erynneth
4 days after Midsummer

"Perhaps you would like some stew as well once we are done making sure our patient is comfortable?" Linaiwe offered, as they set off towards the recovery room. At any rate, the cooks prepared enough food to feed both hungry patients and healers, and any other assisting staff.

"Herbs won't do much, but chamomile, peppermint, sage might aid since those teas have calming effect," she returned to the subject of concussions. "The condition simply requires rest, and body will take as long as it needs to recovery. The process can't be sped up much except for staying put. Head is a head," she then waved her hand slightly to aid in explanations. "Brain and everything indeed. People can be killed if someone attacks them with a very heavy thing, say, a sledgehammer. Or - memory problems can remain, personality changed. You surely cannot joke around with the head injuries."

Having reached the room, the healer knocked on the door, and without waiting for a response opened it to let Eryn bring in the food.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion
|
Apprentice Erynneth Raedor | Recruit Trastion Leithor
Treatment room 3
4 days after Midsummer

"Yes, that would be nice." Eryn answered with a nod. The stew did look and smell very nice, and she hadn't had anything since breakfast earlier. Listening thoughtfully, she nodded and tried to take mental notes as the elderly healer answered her questions. Lots of rest, then, more than anything else. She frowned slightly at the mention of various complications that could happen from a head injury. Changes in personality? Continuing memory problems? That seemed very serious.

The knock seemed more like some sort of background noise Trastion was trying to ignore, and he didn't quite realize it was someone knocking on his door until the door opened and a bit of light came in. He dragged a pillow over the side of his head in an attempt to block out the light, though not in such a way it would cover his nose. One hand was clenched around a fistful of the front of his shirt, trying his hardest not to scratch the itch that persisted.

As they arrived at the room, she paused for a moment after the healer had opened the door, then stepped in with her tray, glancing around in the dim lighting. "Um, Trastion?" Eryn spoke softly, wondering if they ought to disturb his rest, if rest was so important for him right now. "We've brought some stew."

Pulling the pillow down, Trastion squinted slightly trying to see who had come in. Pele had mentioned someone would come with food before long, and he saw a tray. He managed a faint smile, trying to remember who. "Hey.. thanks." He realized he'd need to sit up to eat, and started trying to accomplish this, though moving and sitting up was uncomfortable and made his head start to throb a bit more.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
The garden

4 days after Midsummer
@Pele Alarion

"Then I will happily remind you, Pelepele," Arnyn said without any hesitation. "There is no blame on you. Only on those who have done harm and seek to do more of it."

Arnyn slowly dropped her hand from Pele's arm when the Captain spoke her fears aloud. Hearing Pele speak of Relic killing someone made her blood both ice and fire, and for a moment she understood what had brought Kaylin to such ire at the meeting in Nárië. The Lieutenant drew in a slow breath, calming herself. With a steely will and years of practice, she breathed out the anger again. "She will come to regret it if she does." Simple words. But a hard vow.

"I will keep an eye on Trastion." With an unhappy look on her face, Arnyn sighed. "This is one of those times I find it the hardest to lead," she confided to Pele. "He is still recovering now, and it would not be the time yet anyway, but... keeping this information about Amber from him, when I saw how worried he was about her safety... " She shook her head. "I will have to make sure he does not go and seek her out once he leaves this place." Looking back at her friend, Arnyn hurried to add: "But do not worry, Pele. I'll make sure of it, somehow."

Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

She appreciated the gesture when Trastion said he thought his brother would have liked her. It brought a smile to her eyes.

When he said he didn't know Abrazimir very well, Arnyn slanted her head. "What reason does he have to tell his family if he has seen you?" she asked. "Honestly, I can't imagine him prioritizing much over his honour code." She was much the same in that regard, so she understood part of the Swan Knight even if they were not close personal friends.

Then she backtracked a little. "Listen, Tras... If you're determined not to run again, you can count on me to stand with you."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor

"Umm." Trastion hesitated, thinking as he took a moment to adjust the pillows supporting his back so he could remain sitting up without being too uncomfortable. "Well, it's sort of complicated." He answered at last, feeling a little hesitant to reveal that particular detail. "As I said, my mother and his mother are friends." He shrugged. "And I have no idea what my mother may have told people when I..disappeared." He explained, frowning slightly at that. "There's a chance certain people may be upset... though I don't know." Honestly, he was worried the man might be angry that Trastion's running away had probably appeared to Abrazimir as if Trastion had rejected his sister, and abandoned her to whatever criticism may fall upon her for having her betrothed run away without explanation. He hadn't even considered how it might look to them until later, when it was too late, but now.. he couldn't do much about that now.

He was slightly glad for a change of subject, when Arnyn spoke up to mention that she would stand with him. He smiled. "Thank you. I am sorry I didn't tell you any of this sooner. I was afraid, and.. until I knew you better I wasn't sure whether I could trust you." He hoped she understood. "This is the first time since leaving home that I've felt I could trust anyone enough to tell any of this." He paused. "It's not entirely about trust, either. I also.. wasn't sure whether anyone would believe me." He explained quietly. "There is a reason why I didn't just go to my mother with this." He figured she might have wondered.. as any logical person likely would.. why he hadn't taken the most simple and obvious course of action. "She never would've believed a word of it. I knew she'd say I was making it up to discredit my stepfather, because... well, I never made any secret of the fact that I couldn't stand him." He shrugged and smiled faintly.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

Arnyn didn't catch anything odd when Trastion adjusted his pillows. After all, the tells she'd gotten used to when he was avoiding answering questions was hesitation while speaking, not so much pausing before speaking. And why would she think he was hiding anything from her, now that he was telling her so much about his life?

She nodded at his reply. You never really knew how people might react. However, she still thought Abrazimir would not go running his mouth about Trastion's real identity if he only suspected - and especially not if he had reason to believe Trastion was pretending to be someone else. "You are referring to your training session with Pele and Abrazimir?" she asked, checking. "Or did you meet him elsewhere while in the city, as well?"

She leaned back in the chair. "If you introduced yourself to him as Trastion, hiding who you are - even if he suspected or recognized you... I still think he would... take the hint. The hint that you don't want to be known as Anurion here. Or that you do not wish for the people in Belfalas to know Anurion is here." Arnyn frowned. "If it were me, I would understand that this is your secret to keep or to reveal. Despite how relieved or upset people might be if they heard. And I believe Abrazimir would understand the same." She gave Trastion an apologetic smile. "I wish I could tell you I knew it for a fact. But I can't do that. It's mostly based on what little I've seen and heard of him - and some aspects of his that I recognize."

"Everyone is the result of their own experience, Tras," Arnyn said quietly to his words about his mother. "But I understand why didn't tell her if you thought she'd dismiss it." Suddenly Arnyn realized something. "so... you me telling you it was a necessary skill to know when to run away to save your life... carried more meaning for you than I thought it would." She'd assumed a thing or two after their conversations, but knowing she was right and that the situation was this extreme, did shed a new light on it. Lowering her eyes in thought, she fell silent for a moment.

When she looked back up, she smiled softly. "Trust is built." She just tended to give her trust to people more easily, she knew. It generally did mean she got their trust faster in return. Mostly. "I understand you not telling me about all this before. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised you are choosing to tell me all of this now. But I am very glad that you are. You shouldn't have to carry all these concerns alone."

"How are you holding up?" She gestured vaguely at her own head. "No headaches yet?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor

Trastion glanced at Arnyn and smiled faintly as she made the connection from that comment, which seemed so long ago now. He gave a slow nod. "Yes." He answered quietly. "Much more meaning than you realized." He smiled faintly, trying to decide how much more he wanted to say about that. He remained silent, thinking, while she was also silent. Trust is built, she said at last. He smiled slightly, listening as she spoke of her surprise that he was telling her this. "So am I, actually." He grinned slightly. "But, well you've shown I can trust you so far." He shrugged. And then, her concern returned, asking about how his head was doing. That.. that was part of what had won him over, he realized. The fact that the lieutenant was genuinely concerned about him, and his safety and well-being. "I'm alright." He smiled slightly. "It's nowhere near as bad as it was." He assured her. "Just a mild continuous headache, as opposed to a horrendous, pounding, splitting headache..."

He laughed faintly, trying to make light of it, and went quiet for a moment, hesitating before he spoke again. "What you said that day.. you really had no idea how much that meant to me." Trastion mentioned, returning to that subject. "It really bothered me you know, having to run away. Like I was..a coward or something." He looked down, his voice quiet. He sighed, then glanced up again. "I've faced orcs before, Arnyn. And other enemies who would have destroyed everything my family held dear... I didn't go with the others to fight in the big battle here in the Pelennor, but I was fighting smaller battles during that time, back home. I wanted to tell you before, but I was afraid of how much I dared to tell of my past." He explained. "My brother and I both remained, defending our land from orcs, corsairs, other fearsome enemies.." Shrugging, he decided not to get into that. If she wanted to hear more he could, but he didn't want to stray from what he intended to say now. "Yet, after all of that... I fled when I heard of a plot against my life. A threat which I couldn't anticipate or fight with any weapon. And it troubled me, wondering if I had done the right thing." He sighed. "So, yes. Your words.. had a reassuring effect, and helped to confirm that there was little else I could have done. That there was, perhaps, no other option if I wished to survive." He smiled at her. "So, now that you know your words' significance to me.. thank you again. For saying them." He went quiet for a moment, lapsing into thought for a moment, giving the lieutenant a moment to process all of what he had said.

Clearing his throat lightly after a moment, Trastion decided there was something else that should be addressed.. to get off of his chest, so to speak. "Um.. Lieutenant?" He asked softly, hesitating briefly before continuing. "There.. is something else that has bothered me." The words came a little slowly, with slight reluctance. But he'd had more than enough time to think about it all by now, was better able to think than before. "My head was all muddled the other day, so I couldn't think straight, and didn't really think everything through properly." Like realizing what would result from him asking her to get his pack... "But it's cleared a bit since. And.." He drew in a deep breath. "I know you're very observant. I'm not sure anything gets by you," He added with a nervous laugh. "So I can um.. only assume you must have noticed.. something else.. in my chest, when you retrieved my pack for me..." He had no idea why she hadn't brought it up herself, but he risked a side glance at her now, wondering what her reaction was... if she looked clueless, or expectant, or something else entirely.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

She returned his little grin. Glad to hear his head was much better, Arnyn still didn't like the sound of the continuous headache. "You had the headache before I walked in right?" she asked, mocking herself and teasing at the same time. "If not, I'll just see myself out, no problem."

The amount of words he used to thank her gave her pause. When she spoke, her voice was hardly above a whisper. "You're welcome." She didn't trust herself to say much more at the moment. She was touched to hear her words had helped him so much. And it was good that he saw that fighting orcs and fighting someone in your inner circle who was planning on killing you in secret, were two very different things. He'd been smart. He'd done all he could to survive. And that alone meant he was sitting here in front of her. Arnyn smiled.

When he said there was something else, Arnyn tilted her head. His statement about her being observant made her laugh along with him. "I am sure a lot of things get by me," she protested mildly. "If I knew about everything, surely my head would explode." But as he continued, she realized where he was going with this. "Ahh," she said simply, her facial expression unreadable. "Your chest of belongings. Yes." Her right eyebrow arched minutely.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor

Her laugh and joke about the headache were met with a smile. "Yeah, it was there before." He assured her. It was easier to ignore it now, and as long as he didn't move around too much, it didn't get worse. "And so long as I don't move around I don't get dizzy." He added. "Actually I'm not sure what'll happen if I try walking around. I thought it best to do what the healers said." He smiled slightly in reply to her 'you're welcome' but there seemed little else to say there. There was that other matter he felt needed to be cleared up.

The lieutenant's protest brought a faint little smile. "Suuure," He replied, clearly not fully believing that. She seemed to see and hear everything, from what he'd observed. Even that thing about the dog, he still wasn't entirely sure how she'd known about that but he remembered her making a comment that implied she had some knowledge of it. And her most recent mention about that sparring session he'd done with Pele and Abrazimir. How she knew about that was beyond him, and had been rather surprising to hear her bring it up. But the more he talked with Arnyn, the less surprised he was by anything.

As he was watching to see how she would react, Trastion wasn't sure what she might be thinking. But her reply and the arched eyebrow told him just about everything he was trying to find out. Yes, she had definitely noticed the shirt stuffed down in the corner. He wasn't sure how to proceed, wondering whether she would continue to believe anything he said. "Do you still believe me?" He asked quietly, looking down again, fearing what she might reply, hoping she might believe it, though he figured she had every reason to conclude that he had lied.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

Tha way he asked if she still believed him, was a testament to what he'd said earlier. About how he hadn't told anyone else the truth before. Out of fear that 1) they might not believe him and 2) they may not be trusted. Her answer would mean a lot to Trastion.

She knew things he was unaware of, however. Relic, Amber... That leant credibility to his claims about not having been drinking. Moreover, she didn't get the sense he was lying about this. And him sharing his most personal fears with her now... Would have removed any doubt left in her mind. If she'd still had any. If he trusted her with all this, then why would he lie about having a drink, after all?

"Yes." The reply was simple. She held back her curiosity to the tale for now. He would tell her if he felt so inclined.

"Though it seems you still haven't found the way to get your clothes clean?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor

Trastion let out a quiet, slow sigh of relief to hear Arnyn's reply. He smiled faintly. It was nice to hear that someone believed him, for once, even when all the evidence seemed stacked against him. "Thanks, Arnyn." He answered quietly. "I'm glad to hear that. Mourgan didn't." He sighed softly. "He wouldn't believe me when I told him I wasn't drunk, and I figured no one else would either." He shrugged and looked over at her. "But I promise, I wasn't lying before, when I said I don't drink." He insisted quietly. "I don't touch that stuff," He added with a wry smile, which faded quickly. He sighed. "I wish I could tell you how it got on me.. but I really have no idea. I just..." He shrugged. "When I woke up after.. this," He motioned to his head, "my armor and other gear was tossed all over the floor, and for some reason I can't explain.. I was lying on Mourgan's bed, my shirt was soaked with that horrible stuff.. it felt like it was all over me.. and I couldn't think or even see straight. None of it made any sense then, and I still can't really explain it. Especially since you seem certain that it's unrelated to.. the things I was just telling you." He frowned, shrugging. "I didn't even realize what was on me, at first. And Mourgan was angry and thought I was drunk, and my head was killing me, and then I kept trying not to fall asleep because I was afraid I'd been poisoned..." He sighed. "That night was really.. awful." He inwardly cringed at the memory of how frightened he'd been, and helpless. Not to mention the pain and discomfort.

Trastion absently touched the place on the back of his head, frowning slightly, though it wasn't as sore now. "I'm sorry I left all that out, before. I just.. I didn't want to give you any more reason to doubt what I was telling you. And, also.. because I didn't want to get Mourgan in trouble over.. anything." He shrugged slightly, feeling it unnecessary to divulge where the alcohol must have come from.. she'd implied that one day that she knew Mourgan had a stash, as he recalled, and could surely figure it out. Trastion paused for a moment, thinking of what little he remembered and had learned since the attack occurred, and glanced back at her.

".. anyway," Trastion hesitated, and smiled faintly at the mention of him not getting his clothes cleaned. "No, I wasn't much thinking about getting my clothes cleaned." He answered with a vaguely amused smile. "I just wanted to get out of that shirt as soon as I could, and then I shoved it down into the chest to get it away from me.. and out of sight for the inspection that morning. And later.. I wasn't exactly thinking about the laundry. So I forgot all about it, until... you know." He looked down, sighing. "I was worried you'd think I lied."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

There were a few things to unpack now.

So... it had happened at midsummer, then. That Mourgan hadn't believed him, was not that surprising. That Trastion didn't drink at all, however, was news to her. When he had mentioned something about it earlier, she had assumed he meant he had not been drinking at midsummer - which didn't mean he never touched any alcohol. And it would be very unlike her to have missed it if he had mentioned it as an obvious general statement before.

"Oh?" Her response was one of interest. "You never drink? Any particular reason?" She smiled. "It's always encouraging to hear someone else say they don't drink, because it happens so rarely. I hardly ever drink myself. I think generally people would tell you I don't drink at all. Though it has happened - In exceptional circumstances - that I had a glass. But I prefer to keep a clear mind, and am not particularly fond of the taste. I think I've had exactly one drink in the past couple of years."

She frowned when he continued. It had been all over him when he woke up? Imagining the scene, she gave him a sympathetic look. "That must have given a very bad impression to Mourgan. Your things strewn over the room, you on his bed, soaked in alcohol..." Arnyn waved when Trastion said he didn't want to get Mourgan in trouble over anything, as if she was saying he shouldn't say much more about that. "If any unauthorized contraband in the barracks comes to my attention, I am required to pass the information along to Lieutenant Brian," she said, giving Trastion a meaningful look. "But I cannot be expected to tell him if I do not actually hear about it." And she did not pass along personal suspicions unless she thought having the stuff at the barracks was endangering anyone. Even so, she would first take it up with the Ranger in question.

At least knowing Mourgan had thought Trastion had been terribly drunk, answered the question why Mourgan hadn't given Trastion any of the beans. At least... that's what she assumed. "You thought it was poison?" Relief. He had been thinking, then. "You took some of the beans then?" she asked quietly, a hint of hopefullness seeping into her tone. Even knowing now it had nothing to do with poison, she still hoped he'd had the presence of mind to heed her warning. He said he'd thought he'd been poisoned. He should have eaten those beans. "And I need to replace them for you?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor

"Oh? You never drink? Any particular reason?"

Trastion hesitated, debating if he wanted to reveal yet another secret. As Arnyn spoke about how surprising it was, he couldn't help a faint smile. "The decision wasn't exactly mine to make," He admitted softly, though he liked to think he wouldn't be much into drinking anyway, if it had been his choice to make. But for now, he left it at that, and nodded slightly as she began to get the picture of what Mourgan must have seen when he entered the room that evening. "He was pretty angry. I think he came close to beating me up," He mentioned, slightly nervous at the thought of that. He had been a bit too out of it at the time to realize the danger, but thinking back on it.. he wasn't sure what had held the ranger back.

The lieutenant's hint was not lost on him. as she declared that she would have to report things if she heard about them. Trastion grinned slightly and gave a small nod. "Of course.. I just didn't want anyone, like lieutenant Brian, jumping to conclusions, you know." He shrugged, deciding to leave it at that. He wondered if Arnyn had any idea how high his opinion was of her. It occurred to him that if they were a sort of family, Arnyn was sort of like a big sister or aunt who was always looking out for others, didn't tattle on them, and yet still maintained the authority due to her.. by earning respect, not demanding it.

Her question caught him a bit off guard. He blinked and glanced over at her. The beans... right. He hesitated. "Well.. I tried to." He admitted, a bit guilty now that he heard her asking. "But I couldn't get that pouch open. The drawstring was in a knot and I couldn't get it untied." He sighed. "And.. I'm not even entirely sure what I thought was going on. Poison, or..something else.. but, when I made it through the night and it was the next morning.. I don't know. Something inside told me that I didn't need the beans. So I still have them.. though I took them out of the pouch." He shrugged slightly. "I hope you aren't disappointed in me." He added quietly, dropping his gaze down.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

He'd tried. Varda's stars. If it had truly been poison, he would not be sitting in front of her. He would have died. Because of a knot in a drawstring. A knot in the drawstring of a pouch she had given him.

She closed her eyes and sighed. She had no idea why Relic had decided to leave him alive, other than to try and cause dissent. Perhaps, if Mourgan had beaten him up... if someone had reported on the alcohol to a different officer... if punishments were to have been handed out... there would have been a lot of ramifications to Relic's actions.
Arnyn shook her head. The sorceress had not poisoned the kid, she reminded herself. Do not go down that road.

"Trastion, when all this happened... you did not come to me with this." She spoke so quietly that he might have had trouble hearing her if it weren’t for the absolute quiet that reigned the room. "A lump on your head.. a splitting headache.. thinking you had abandoned your post... alcohol all over you while you don't drink... Yet you did not come to me. What has changed over the last few days?"

She gestured as she handed up at him. "Did you only tell me about your name and family because you were afraid it would be worse if I heard it elsewhere first? Or are you starting to trust me?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Day 2 in HOH

Trastion quietly noted that she did not comment on what he had said. He wasn't sure what that meant and tried not to dwell on it too much. He hesitated though, thinking about how to reply to what Arnyn had asked. How could he properly explain his thoughts? It was difficult to pin down exactly what had changed for him, and why, and what had been going on in his head. He took a moment to consider why he hadn't come talk to her before, and why he'd tried to keep his headache secret. Why he had endured all of that misery and tried to keep anyone from learning about it.

After a moment, he shrugged. "I guess I mostly thought everyone would assume.. the same thing Mourgan thought. And I didn't want anyone to think badly of me, especially you." He sighed softly. "And I didn't know what to do. Couldn't think straight, and I couldn't make any sense of what had happened.. and I was a little scared," He admitted quietly. "But.. that isn't all of it." He sighed. He'd had a couple of days to do nothing but sleep and think, so it was easier to sort through his thoughts now than it had been.

"You know.. the last training session, that day you gave me those beans? I came so close to telling you about at least some of my secrets, that day." He told her, remembering how he'd started to call her back to talk, before changing his mind. "But then I.. didn't." He shrugged. "I wanted to trust you..I just.. I was afraid to." He glanced at her quietly. "So, I guess, what changed is... when I told you that I wasn't drunk, you believed me. You believed what I said even though it probably appeared otherwise. And would've been easy to assume I was lying." He smiled faintly. "And then you made sure I got here so I could get healing. So.. now I can think better. And I realized I shouldn't have tried to handle this thing on my own." He sighed. "And I also realized that I could tell you about certain details without anyone having to get in trouble. I didn't want anyone getting in trouble because of me." He cleared his throat a little awkwardly at that. "Anyway. So, that's why."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

She nodded in understanding when he said he'd thought everyone, including her, would assume the same thing Mourgan had. When he continued, Arnyn gave him a quiet look as she listened. When he was done, she kept her silence and that thoughtful look a moment longer. Then she smiled.

"I hope Mourgan is no longer upset with you, now he knows this is where you've ended up due to what happened at Midsummer... when you were taking over his shift." A pause. "I'm glad you've come to understand you're not on your own anymore." And so thankful that he hadn't died before he'd reached this conclusion. She fidgeted momentarily with her nails. "Do you think I could have done something differently so you would have been less afraid to trust me? And you would have come to me sooner?"

Some interactions lately had made her question her own behavior - to an extent. The question she was asking Trastion now, was really a witness to some of her inner vulnerability, although it would probably come across as simple her asking feedback to be able to make a difference in the future.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Day 2 in HOH

Trastion smiled faintly. "Yeah, I think we're alright now. We talked a bit when he came before, and.. I think he felt really bad about the whole thing. I can't really blame him though, I mean.. it must have looked pretty bad." If his head hadn't been hurting so much at the time, he might have been better able to try and convince him, but he wasn't even sure if that would've worked. "I can't really say that I wouldn't have assumed the same if I'd found him in that condition." He added, though he did hope that he might have been willing to listen if he tried to tell him he wasn't. Still, it was easy to say what you would or wouldn't do in a similar scenario, and not the same to find yourself in such a predicament.

Arnyn's question caught him off guard. Trastion blinked and turned his head to look at her, his expression betraying his surprise. "You?" he asked, not quite sure how to answer that. He took a moment to consider, and slowly shook his head after a long moment. "I don't think so? I... I'm actually surprised that I came around as quickly as I did, considering.. I mean, how long have I known you? Not very long, really." He raised an eyebrow, and shrugged. "It's been.. a long time since I trusted anyone. Since I felt.. safe enough to confide in anyone." He added quietly. "It's been years, in fact, since I forsook my home and my former life, and I haven't spoken of that secret to anyone until now." He added, very quietly. "I guess maybe I just needed to get to know you well enough."

After a slight hesitation, he added. "I never had much luck with making friends before, as..Anurion. And, later, as Trastion, I feared to get too close to anyone, in case they figured out things I didn't want them to know. In case they figured out who I really was." He smiled faintly. "And then I came here, and I kind of tried to do the same thing here, at first. But, you're right. It is..very lonely." He sighed, then laughed lightly. "And it's a bit more difficult to keep folks distant when I share a room with one person, and have a trainer who believes we should all be like family." He grinned at her, then shrugged again. "So, in answer to your question... I think if anything, you pushed me to come around to trusting you much sooner than I would have, otherwise."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

She noted his way of thinking; that he was considering the situation in reverse and recognized he could not be sure what his own response would have been. She gave him a smile of approval at this. Too many people refused to admit such a thing. The longer she knew Trastion, the happier she was that he had entered into her tutelage.

When he started answering her question, her expression went neutral as she half-prepared for something entirely unexpected. His answer was surprising, although not in the way she had been expecting. Arnyn blinked, nodded and thought about his reply before answering. At his following words and his grin, she couldn't help the big smile in return. "Well. I'm not sorry." The smile grew slightly, before going back to its former size. "Alright then." Arnyn rose from her chair and approached, holding out her arm. "Warrior's clasp," she advised. "To mark the occasion. We agree to trust each other, both with what is and what is not said. Deal?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Day 2 in HOH

Watching the lieutenant rise from her chair, Trastion at first wondered if she was going to go do something, or what. But he wasn't left in confusion for long as she declared the intention. A warrior's clasp. He smiled, taking her arm as intended. "Deal." He answered solemnly, though with a smile remaining. He couldn't help thinking of a few occasions where he had already trusted her with something 'what wasn't said'. Those beans for instance, and the talk of poison and all that, which had quite scared him. And that reminded him of something he might mention to her at some other time but, right now, he was feeling a bit talked out. And he could hardly believe how much he'd spoken already. He blamed it on being stuck in this room with hardly anything to do to for the last two days.

"Just one more day, and I can come back to the barracks." He mentioned with a hopeful smile. "And hopefully get back to training and stuff. Right?" Assuming the healers said he was good to go at that time, anyway. "It's more peaceful here but.. boring. I just hope Mourgan hasn't been messing with my stuff." He joked, although most of his stuff was actually here with him, since his pack had been brought here on the first day.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

She looked serious while they clasped arms. Once they had let go, and he was asking about training, Arnyn smiled. "If they clear you for training, I have something in mind I'd like for you to do. Yes. But it's always more fun to keep it a surprise. For me, anyway." A flash of a grin. The mention of the barracks, however, brought up a topic she could not fail to leave unaddressed before making her exit, and her expression settled back into more serious lines.

"About that... When you're cleared to leave this place and go back to the barracks, I have an important request." She paused to consider her words for a moment. "I remember how concerned you were about Amber, and I can see you going to find her to check in on her. But I need to ask you not to do this. There's an important reason I am asking this of you, but I cannot share it with you at present. So... I'm invoking our agreement. Already. Again." A half-smile made its way to her face. "I know you're both recruits and it could be nice to be able to share that together, but her situation is rather apart. And I promise to let you know when that changes." Arnyn waited to see his reaction for a moment, and then picked up her pack to set it on the side of the bed.

"I brought some things," she said, shrugging lightly. She pulled out a small wrapped package first. "I know the food here's good, but... hey don't give you this. The best chocolate pastries in town," she said, clearly convinced. Then she pulled out two booklets of sorts and a very small case. "I don't imagine there is much to do here, and I don't know what your hobby's are, but if you don't like it you can just leave it in the pack and get it back to me later. I was told it was probably best if you didn't read during your stay - demands too much, apparently." With some hesitation, she put a finger on one of the booklets. "This isn't a written story. It's drawn. So that should be fine for you to do, I think. And if your headache gets worse, just put it down, alright?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Day 2 in HOH

"About that..."

Trastion grew curious as he listened to Arnyn's request. He'd noticed by now that she didn't seem to make requests of this sort for no reason, so, while it was puzzling, he didn't protest or ask questions... since he'd just promised he wouldn't. "Alright..." He answered slowly, finding it a bit odd, but nodded slightly. "I won't." He promised, still rather confused. He had actually meant to ask about whether Amber was alright, considering his own condition after whatever happened. And it had occurred to him that if he saw her around, that he might go and ask her what had happened from her point of view. Had she run away, or what? But, for whatever reason, Arnyn did not want him to do this. Perhaps Amber had some secrets and things of her own, like him? He mentally shrugged at the questions, and tried to push them away. He didn't need anything more to think about and fill his head.

His curiosity was stirred up again as the lieutenant brought forth the pack she had brought in. Intrigued, Trastion watched her pull out a package, and a happy grin spread onto his face. Chocolate pastries! He began to smell the delicious smell of chocolate as soon as she had pulled the package out of the bag. "Ohhh, wow! Are you trying to prove you're the best lieutenant?" He joked. "Cause, you know, you really don't have to try that hard, considering the competition." He grinned, then turned his attention toward the other things she had pulled out, rather curious about the booklets. "Drawn? That's interesting," He wasn't sure he'd ever seen any of those before, and was curious to take a look. "Most of my hobbies are very much off limits right now," he added with a little shrug, and smiled. "Thanks Arnyn, that was very thoughtful. You really are the best."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

A quiet laugh escaped her at his genuine and positive response. "Don't be ridiculous, Tras," she said, still laughing. There quite obviously was no competition between her and Brian, but that was besides the point. "I just purchased some earlier and thought to include some for you, since I was planning on visiting already. For all I knew, you might not even like chocolate." She was downplaying it, not really thinking she was due any praise.

At his words about the drawn story, Arnyn nodded. "So this booklet already has the drawings. The other one is still empty. That one, and the case, you'll only need if you want to try your hand at drawing something of your own." She shrugged. "Who knows. You can keep the one that's empty, but I would like the full one and the case back later." Rubbing her hands together, she was suddenly quite interested in the windows. "So... do you want me to open the window again before I leave? Like earlier? For some fresh air?" Already taking a few steps in that direction, she looked over at Trastion to check.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Day 2 in HOH

"Well, I appreciate you thinking of me, regardless." He shrugged, smiling. The pastries smelled wonderful. He wondered if they'd come from Mourgan's mom's shop. He had been there at least once before, and although he hadn't really checked out any other bakeries in the city, he could definitely believe that hers were the best. "I do like chocolate, though I haven't had any in a while."

As Arnyn went on to explain about the booklet, Trastion nodded slightly and guessed that the case probably contained drawing supplies. He wasn't completely unfamiliar with such things, even if he didn't have a lot of practical experience, himself. "Thanks." He said again. "I've never actually done much drawing, so I don't know how good I'd be at it. But I'll give it a try." He smiled, then added, "My sister always liked to draw and paint and stuff like that." He wondered if she would be interested in something similar, and decided he might check into it sometime. "Maybe.. if I ever see her again, I can show her whatever I draw." He added quietly, thinking she would surely enjoy seeing anything he'd drawn. "I'm not sure how good I am at making up stories, though." He took a curious glance at the first page or two of the booklet that was already filled out, to try and get an idea how it was done.

He was distracted from looking at it when Arnyn asked about the window. "Hmm? Oh yes, please. Fresh air would be great." He replied with a small nod. He glanced over at her, curious about her sudden shift in interest. Almost like she was suddenly in a hurry to go. He couldn't help wondering about this change in her mood. Then a thought occurred to him, and he looked a bit closer at the booklet in his hand, and thought.. she said she'd like it back when he'd finished with it... Could it be that these were her drawings? That possibility struck him as being quite likely, but he didn't ask, deciding if she wanted it known she would have said so. "Thank you," He added, partly for the window but also everything else.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Trastion's recovery room

6 days after Midsummer
@Rillewen

Arnyn was quick to open the window at his agreement, just as she had done before. "You're welcome." She walked to the foot of the bed and gave Trastion an appraising look. "You do look better," she said, as if agreeing with someone who had just made a comment his condition was improving. "I'll check in tomorrow late afternoon, for the healers' last update. Maybe I'll come say hello if you're not asleep, too. If you haven't eaten all the pastries by then, I can lend you a hand." Arnyn grinned briefly. "Or if Mourgan drops by again, he can help you out. Unless you gorge on them all yourself. I wouldn't blame you."

"Alright then." She walked over to the door an dopened it halfway before turning around again. "Well... I think you'll see her again. Sooner or later. And I'm sure that however good or bad you are at drawing, it will make her smile. One way or the other." The Lieutenant's eyes were smiling. "So it'll be worth it to give it a try. See you around, Tras." With those parting words, she left, quietly closing the door behind her.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Day 2 in HOH

Trastion smiled, glad to hear he looked better. "I feel better." he commented in return. If he felt and looked better, then surely he was getting better, so that was a relief. He'd probably be a while before he was completely back to normal, but it was progress, anyway. He nodded slowly as the lieutenant declared her intention to be present for the update tomorrow. "I'll see you then," He replied, and laughed faintly at the offer to help with the pastries. "I doubt they'll last that long." He assured her. "But I appreciate the offer to help." He grinned. "Mourgan can get his own though." He added, half joking. But really, he wouldn't be surprised if his roommate could get whatever pastries he wanted for free, if he went to his mother's bakery.

He laughed faintly at the comment about making his sister laugh, one way or another. "Yeah, she'd enjoy it no matter how bad they are." He agreed. He didn't mind that. He'd made a point of making Linn laugh as much as he could, trying to help them both forget their grief, and he felt bad that he'd had to leave her behind, with no one to laugh with. "Bye Lieutenant." He waved. Soon Arnyn was gone, leaving Trastion with a little smile and a few things to think about. Leaning back more fully into the pillows, he tried to imagine how delighted his little sister would be to receive some drawings from him, then thought about the painting she had been doing the day he left. A picture of him standing at the top of a cliff, as if he had just climbed it. While she still had a ways to go as far as developing her artist skills, she was far better than him. But he would certainly try his best. First, though, he was more interested in checking out the other booklet that already had pictures in it. Shifting into a slightly more comfortable position, he opened it and began 'reading' through the pictures.

(end)

High Warden of Tower
Healer Linaiwe w/ Apprentice Erynneth and Recruit Trastion
Recovery room
4 days after Midsummer

@Rillewen

“Good, we will have lunch after this then,” the healer decided, though first she’d make sure the patient had his food and drink.

Having entered the room, Linaiwe looked around on the slight mess on the floor. Approaching, she picked up the pieces of clothing and put them on the chair for the time being, and then set the pair of boots by the end of the bed neatly. “I am healer Linaiwe,” she said, as she moved around the room quietly. “And the young lady here is apprentice Erynneth.”

“Put the tray down on the table, Erynneth,” she instructed, “And then let’s see…” She noticed the patient’s struggle with sitting up, and moved to stand by his side. “Careful. No quick movements,” she said, supporting him with one arm while she ruffled up the pillows behind him so that he could rest his back on those in a half-seated position.

While assisting him, Linaiwe looked at his shirt, and pulled lightly on its neckline. “Hmmm…” was the vague observation she made.

Captain/Master Healer Pele Alarion

The garden
4 days after Midsummer

@Arnyn

Pele looked at Arnyn in silence for a good while, and then smiled ever so slightly before her countenance became serious once again.

“It seems to me that Relic considers herself to stand over any competition in power, untouchable, if you will,” she then remarked. “It would be a wonder if she regrets anything at all, but it would be excellent if we did make her do so.”

Pele felt discomfort at the fact that her policy of a certain level of secrecy meant that Trastion might end up in even more trouble, yet she was not ready yet to let everyone know what the issue was. “I hear you,” she said quietly with a note of remorse in her voice. “Do make it clear to him that he should not go after Amber if you can.”

She stood for a moment, hands at her sides, and then shifted with a sigh. “I should get back to headquarters, are you coming in that direction, or do you have other plans?” she asked, heading back to the main building of the Houses of Healing. There were things to be done, but she made a vow to herself that she would make sure to check in with Linaiwe later to learn of Trastion’s condition.

Master Healer/Captain Pele Alarion
Heading into the treatment room
Last week of July

@Karis Ziranphel , @Isolde Alarion

They had moved from the barracks as fast as the two men could carry Mourgan, and Pele made sure that they could enter the premises of healers unhindered and guided them to one of the treatment rooms.

“Put him on the table over there,”
she instructed having come in after them and motioning at the said piece of furniture. “Stretcher and all. Thûllir, can you keep an eye on his condition for me while I gather the necessary items?”

Wasting no time, she started the fire back up from embers to heat up the pot of water, and then began going through the cupboards to collect a plenty of bandages and dressings, a needle and thread, a jar of salt, honey, and a small collection of herbs and ointments.

Pele did not like the fact that Mourgan was deeply unconscious for so long; however, at least his breathing was reasonably steady. She hoped that he would come back around soon since the beans should have effect – unless Relic had used something against which those did not work. And then there were wounds. She glanced at Mourgan while setting out the tools to see if the bleeding has not started again. She would have to remove everything to get to the wounds, so it was a must for bleeding to have stopped.

The Hyandaner seemed ill at ease and unsure of what to do, when Pele glanced at him while washing her hands. “I will still need you, in a while,” she told him to make sure he at least had a sense of purpose.

Éowyn
Éowyn
The garden

4 days after Midsummer
@Pele Alarion

When Pele asked if she was also heading for headquarters and started moving, Arnyn fell in next to her friend. "Not headquarters," she said. "The barracks. I'll go see if Mourgan is in. So I might inform him of his roommate's condition, and that Trastion will not be sleeping there the coming few nights. No need to make the man worry, if he would be the sort to do so." The Lieutenant gave Pele a sidelong glance, to see if her friend might give anything away of her nephew's disposition in such regards. But the Captain had a lot on her mind.

Arnyn gently curled her fingers around Pele's forearm and squeezed lightly. "Not alone, Pele," Arnyn reminded her, as they headed into the main building of the Houses.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower

Ranger Thûllir Bregedýr
Treatment room with injured Mourgan and Healer/Captain Pele

Last week of July - Morning
@Pele Alarion , @Isolde Alarion

They had moved at a half-run once they cleared the barracks, as swiftly as they could move without jostling or dropping their burden. Following Pele into the houses of healing and back to a treatment room, they hefted the stretcher up onto the indicated table. Arms, shoulders, and legs were burning from the exertion by the time they were able to release their grips on the poles made from broomsticks, and it took a moment to remove the sticks from the tablecloth once they shook out their hands.

Thûllir looked down at Mourgan’s face as Pele hurried around to collect her supplies and reawaken the fire. The memory of his first few times encountering the young man years ago in both the forest and the city brought a wisp of a smile to his features. Mourgan had been with Kaylin in the battles they faced, even as a seemingly gangly teenager. Now he was a veteran of many battles even at his still young age. The experiences of life had subtly changed his face in ways that another veteran could recognize, even softened in unconsciousness as it was now. Thûllir bent down to speak quietly into Mourgan’s ear. “Don’t give up. Keep fighting for life, Mourgan. Your captain-aunt is here to help you, and Kaylin will kick both of our asses if you don’t pull through.” It didn’t matter that that was an impossibility. Somehow it would still be true. He remembered seeing Mourgan across the field at Midsummer last month, walking with a young woman, but he hadn’t recognized who that was so couldn’t add her name. “Hold onto hope, Mourgan.” There was always hope. The war had taught him that.
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion
|
Treatment room 3
4 days after Midsummer

Nodding, Eryn set the tray carefully on the table and stepped back slightly, taking a look at Trastion. He looked sort of miserable, she thought, and wondered if his head hurt very badly. "Is there anything I can do to help?" She asked softly, addressing the healer as she watched her help Trastion sit up. She was pretty sure she saw a uniform shirt sticking out from under his legs, which must have gotten forgotten when he had stretched out onto the bed. But it seemed like it might bother him to go and tug it out from under him, so she didn't make any moves to do so.

Erynneth... Trastion thought that name sounded sort of familiar but couldn't place it right away. "Thanks, ma'am." Trastion mumbled as the lady helped him to get situated. His head didn't like this new position, but he tried to ignore the fresh wave of throbbing. He closed his eyes as he tried to shut out the spinning room, taking a moment to try and let it pass. He didn't notice the healer tugging at his neckline, except when the cloth rubbed against the reddened skin there. He cringed slightly as it both itched and burned. Without thinking, he instinctively moved his hand to push the healer's hand away from his shirt.

"So, what happened to your head, Trastion?" Eryn wondered, stepping a little closer again. "Did Hattie knock you down again?" She couldn't resist a light joke, hoping it might make him laugh a little and not be so miserable, although she knew Hattie was out at her uncle's farm, and wouldn't have had much opportunity to be the culprit.

Trastion blinked, briefly distracted from the discomfort from the shirt's neckline, and took a closer look at Eryn. Although it was fairly dim in the room, he realized she looked familiar as well. "Hattie.." He wouldn't forget that dog easily. "Right.. that's where I know you from," He smiled faintly at the reminder of his first day in the rangers. Yes, he remembered this girl now, the one who'd claimed the dog was hers in an effort to keep Unalmis from getting in trouble from Lt Brian. "No, it wasn't Hattie this time," He assured her with a faint little laugh, trying to hide how much his head hurt.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Master Healer/Captain Pele Alarion
Treatment room -> Recovery room
Last week of July

@Karis Ziranphel , @Isolde Alarion

Pele had soon organised the necessary tools the way that would make it easy for her to retrieve them at need, then she tested the water and found that it had warmed up a little and was no longer cold. She poured some of the water into the bowl and added a bit of soap, swirling it around to make the whole volume of water soapy. Tossing in a piece of clean cloth, she left it there for a while, returning to Mourgan’s side.

“I will need you to assist me here, Thûllir,” she said to him, gave him a handful of material and then proceeded to cut away the bandaging they had used to stop the bleeding. “To apply pressure if the wounds start bleeding badly again, as I go about this process.”

“Let’s see what we got here,” she sighed, then poured a pitcher of soapy water over his bloodied torso to wash off the most of blood, and then began to clean the off what remained thoroughly. “A cut across his chest, might need a couple stitches,” she observed, carefully cleaning around it. “And then those stab wounds.”

After the soap water Pele applied salt water while examining the wounds for anything suspicious as far as she could see. Stitching up the wounds where the condition permitted, she applied a layer of honey before making sure to wrap Mourgan up in clean bandages.

“Lend me your strong arms once again, guys,” she said lightly to avoid thinking of the possibility that Mourgan might not wake up. “With a proper stretcher this time. At least the recovery room is almost right here.” From the corner of the room she retrieved a stretcher and placed it next to Mourgan.

Once they had successfully relocated the wounded warrior, Pele looked at Thûllir and offered a small smile. “Thank you for the support,” she said gratefully, “But I suspect they might need you more back at the barracks now. I will join whenever I am sure that Mourgan is comfortable and won’t escape beyond my reach.”

Turning to the Hyandaner who had come with them, Pele said: “I will need you to run with a message down to Nell’s bakery; give the note to Nelladel, but don’t leave her until she dismisses you.” The note was short, yet Pele chose the words with much care so that the note would not be too harsh. That settled, she turned her attention back to Mourgan.

She removed his boots and made him as comfortable as she could before sitting down on the edge of his bed for a while, taking a hold of his wrist to check for pulse and observing him breathing.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Reception
Last week of July
Arriving with Trastion and Cali @Rillewen

Arnyn hadn' said much on the way from the barracks to the houses of healing. She going over the events in her head, starting from hearing Pele's shouts up on the roof to the present. There were a lot of things that could have gone differently - branches of possibly realities she did not wish to explore. What if she hadn't been on that roof and hadn't heard Pele shouting at Amber/Relic? What if she had not been there to lend assistance in the women's wing of the barracks? What if she'd been helping with the fire instead of helping Pele? What would have happened if Cali hadn't been there? What would have happened if Relic had stabbed Mourgan in just the wrong place? The Lieutenant rubbed a hand across her face, forgetting that all which had been cleaned about her was her neck. Then again, it wasn't like there wasn't any blood on her face. She'd been so close to that giant wold form when she'd pulled that dagger from the creature's throat. But odds are she hadn't improved her look, at present. Of course, if she'd been aiming for intimidating, or boodthirsty, or anything in that ballpark... Mentally, she sighed. And shrugged.

Arriving at the reception, Arnyn could see she startled Ralph. He knew her, though, and had probably seen his share of blood given his job here. "Morning, Lieutenant," he greeted her politely, albeid warily. He took in Cali and Trastion with a discerning look. "Three patients?" he surmised, his eyes returning to Arnyn, who nodded. "Three, yes. Leg wound," she said, indicating Cali, "smoke inhalation and a shard in his arm, maybe some other things," she added, indicating Trastion, "and a neck wound," she finished, pointing at the wound in question on her neck. She gave the two others a look, meaning that if they had anything else to add to the list, this was the time.

"The Master Healer brought in a wounded ranger earlier, with the help of some others. We would like to know how he is doing, as well, if that is possible." She knew that would depend on Mourgan's current situation.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Cali & Trastion with Arnyn, joined by Nurse Maeth Dringolben
Reception

Cali and Trastion entered just behind Arnyn. Cali nodded to Ralph, with whom she was somewhat familiar. Partially from her previous stay here in the autumn, but also from the occasions when she came asking for her mother, or leaving messages for her. This time though, she was hoping not to run into her mother just yet.. but she was very interested in hearing any sort of update about Mourgan. "Is there any news about him yet?" She asked, anxious for some news about him. He had looked very bad when she last saw him, and that sorcerer's claim that he would die had her very worried, but she also wasn't sure if it might be too soon to know anything.

Trastion almost couldn't believe he was already back here in the houses of healing. He nearly laughed at the thought as he and the two ladies entered. It wasn't all that long ago that he'd left after the concussion. Fortunately, that wasn't the reason for his return. He minutely shook his head when Arnyn glanced back as if to ask whether there was anything to add. He was also anxious for any news about his roommate.

About that time, Nurse Maeth emerged from one of the treatment rooms, taking a little breather from the hectic running around that had been needed in the last half hour or so. "Ralph, has there been any update about the fi-" She began with concern, and trailed off in shock at the sight of the three...primarily the one... who were there. "Cali!" She gasped, horrified at the sight of all the blood as she rushed toward her daughter. "Oh! Cali what-"

Cali refrained from a groan the moment she spotted her mother, and sighed softly. "It's alright, Mother, really."
"It is not alright! You should be lying down.."
"I'm fine.. I'm barely hurt..." She assured her, reluctant to have to explain anything.
"But.. at all that blood!"
"It isn't mine." She insisted, trying to stop her from panicking.

Beside her, Trastion's coughing became more persistent. "Ohh, my arm..." He groaned in between coughing, then doubled over as he dissolved into a sudden fit of coughing, as if unable to stop.

The nurse's attention was drawn to him suddenly, realizing that Cali wasn't the only one with injuries, and slightly unsure whose was the most serious, and who needed to take first priority.

"Mother, he's been fighting the fire and breathed a lot of smoke." Cali informed her with great concern in her voice. "It seems very serious, he needs help right away!"

Maeth took another worried glance at her daughter, then the other woman, before nodding with decisiveness, and moved to check on Trastion with concern. "Yes, we've had a lot of smoke patients today, but you seem worse than the rest. Come, we'll get you taken care of, young man." She declared, guiding him toward one of the treatment rooms where another healer was helping some of the previous smoke inhalation patients. "And someone will be informed of your injuries, too," She added over her shoulder.

Trastion took the opportunity to briefly glance back, flashing a quick smile back at them before returning to coughing as he went along with the nurse.

Balancing on one leg now, and holding onto a little table near the entrance on which sat a vase of flowers, Cali blinked, and hid a smile as she watched the recruit disappear down the hall. She turned to Arnyn with a half grin. "I think I like him." She declared with a soft laugh, a bit impressed by the quick thinking he'd done to draw her mother's attention away from her. It sort of reminded her of the stuff she and Nal and Trev used to pull off in their childhood, and it was a bit amusing despite the situation. "I'm sure we haven't got long before she's back, though," She warned the lieutenant, as if expecting the return of a fearsome foe, rather than a worried mother. She looked back at Ralph in the hopes that he might be able to give them an update about Mourgan.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Recovery room
4 days after Midsummer

@Rillewen

From their conversation Linaiwe found that Eryn and Trastion did know each other, and she made note of it thinking that it would do good to see that the young apprentice would visit Trastion more often to perform simple care duties so that they could at least talk, and the stay would be more comfortable for the hurt Recruit.

“Hands off!” the healer’s voice snapped sternly at the patient, yet she gently swatted off his hand and took a closer look at what she could see of the redness. “What is this skin reaction you have there, Trastion? I doubt it is from our clothes.” From his instant reaction she concluded that it was bothering him.

Letting go of his shirt, Linaiwe turned to Eryn. “Be so good now, go into one of the unoccupied treatment rooms and fetch me a jar of chamomile ointment from the cabinet. A white jar with a chamomile drawing and its name written on it. Should be on one of the bottom shelves,” she instructed the apprentice.

“It might be pleasantly soothing,” she told Trastion, looking back at him. “Is the rash only on your neck, or is it elsewhere on your body? Does it itch? Or hurt?”

Receptionist Ralph

Reception
Last week of July

@Arnyn , @Rillewen

It seemed that the steady stream of patients was not yet at the end, and there would be no idle moment in his shift. Ralph was somewhat concerned that if this continued, they might soon run out of any available healing personnel.

He watched Maeth fussing over her daughter, and he could not really blame her at the scene of all that blood covering Cali. A knowing smile gleamed in his eyes, when he watched Trastion put up a show of needing more attention to draw the nurse’s attention.

“The wounded Ranger,” the receptionist then checked the neat notes he kept and where he had just jotted down the health issues of the new arrivals. “Mourgan Alarion?” he looked up at Arnyn to check the correctness of the statement. “The last I know is that he has been transferred to a recovery room, though the Master Healer is still with him, and I am not sure of any further details yet.”

“Now… who is still available…” he murmured, glancing at his list once again to see who could be summoned to check up on Cali and Arnyn.

Child of Gondor
Nelladel
Reception
Last week of July
@Pele Alarion
@Arnyn @Rillewen

The closer she got to the HoH the busier it got, people with clothes stained with soot and smoke, coughing and trying to wipe at their smoke burned eyes. This made her wonder at the nature of Mourgans injury and the seriousness of it. Had he been burned? Too much smoke? Her mind was jumping from one worry to another till she reached the door and slipped in between two Ranger who were coming and going.

Once inside it didn’t look all that better. The lobby was filling up with those effected by the fire. She needed to find Mourgan. She approached the lobby reception but as she stepped closer she heard what she thought was Mourgans name.

She looked at the small group of people, three wounded and one looked like the receptionist, and politely approached them. It wasn’t till she got closer that she recognized Trastion in the distance and the lieutenant but she wasn’t sure about the young woman. She gave the Lieutenant and the young woman a small nod of acknowledgement before she turned to the Receptionist.

“Mourgan, can you tell me where he’s at? He’s my son.” Her voice was edged with worry and concern. Ralph looked once more at his notes then called someone over. While he gave the man instructions to Mourgans room she looked at the lieutenant and the young woman. She seen the injuries on the Lieutenant and then she realized there was a lot of blood on the two. “You must be Lieutenant Dealedwen, Mourgan speaks well of you.” She offered a small smile before her green eyes turned to the young woman. She noted no military garb or insignia on the woman and the leather apron she wore, she concluded she must be the Smithy. She offered the same smile. “You must be Cali, the new Smithy. He speaks of you often.”

“Ma’am, if you’ll come this way?” Her attention turned to the orderly. “Of course.” She replied then turned to the two ladies. “Excuse me.” She gave them both a small duck of her chin before turning to follow. She followed him down the hall to the recovery rooms. Her eyes darted from one room to another half expecting to be lead into one when he finally stopped and motioned her in.

She entered the room and was immediately relieved to see Pele sitting on the edge of his bed. She stepped closer as her eyes took in her son. Wrapped and bandaged as he was she could tell it was more than smoke damage. She stopped and came to stand in front of Pele.

“How is he doing Pele?” She asked trying to keep her emotions in check. She took a deep stuttered breath before she continued. Not wanting to ask but she needed to know the answer all the same. “Will he live?” Her green eyes were filled with unshed tears she would not let fall. He didn’t need her to fall apart and weep her eyes out. She straightened her posture. Ready to face any answer she were given.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Steward of Gondor
@Cubanopele
|
Room 3
4 days after Midsummer

Trastion flinched slightly as the healer scolded him with a sharp 'Hands off!'. Not that she spoke all that loudly, but the tone was enough to let him know he should stop. He let his hand drop down to the bed as she swatted it away. Trying to focus on what she was asking him instead of the almost irresistable urge to scratch the itchiness, he rested his head back carefully against the pillows behind him. "It's... no, not from the clothes," He mumbled, agreeing with her quietly. Yet, he was reluctant to admit what it actually was. Still, he couldn't just ignore the questions the healer was asking, but still. He couldn't think of what to say, and instead closed his eyes for a moment, sighing softly. "It's been there a few days now. It'll go away in a week or so, I guess."

Standing off to the side, Eryn was frowning slightly, both in curiosity as well as concern. She leaned forward to try and see what the healer was talking about, almost on tiptoe. The dim light made it hard to see much from where she stood, however, but when Linaiwe asked for the chamomile ointment, Eryn fell back flat on her feet, and nodded. "Yes, ma'am," She answered, listening carefully to the description. With both the name and the picture, it shouldn't be hard to find. She hurried out to find an empty treatment room where she could find some of it, wondering whether this had anything to do with the concussion, or if it was separate.

'It might be pleasantly soothing,' The healer told him.
Trastion's first thought was to nod, but he remembered how that made his head spin, and decided against it. In that time, she asked him whether it burned or itched. "Both," He groaned. "It itches terribly. I'm trying my best not to scratch it, but it's really hard," He confessed. "I know it'll just make it worse if I do." He sighed, opening his eyes again slowly, and thought about how to reply to the last question. One hand strayed absently toward a shoulder, but stopped as he realized what he was doing. "It's..." He used the hand then to gesture around his shoulder and chest area. "All over. The Lieutenant's sending some of my stuff over... I've got a salve that helps, in my pack. But it isn't here yet." He added regretfully.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Reception
Last week of July
@Rillewen

The horrified response from one of the staff members upon seeing Cali, soon made sense when the smith addressed her as 'mother'. Mentally, Arnyn winced. Not a good sight to see, your daughter covered in blood and who knows with what wounds... Their exchange was amusing as well as touching, really, and Arnyn was about to intervene in an attempt to settle the mother when Trastion... well. When Trastion intervened. In a way that left Arnyn giving him a very thoughtful look indeed.

When the nurse was forced to take him with her instead of her daughter, and when he flashed them that quick smile before falling prey, supposedly, to another coughing fit, Arnyn smiled to herself and shook her head. He would find his place within the Rangers just fine, once he loosened up a bit around everyone. Arnyn was pleased with the recruit and his instincts to help others, even in little ways like this one. When Cali said she thought she liked him, Arnyn laughed quietly. "Glad to hear it." She realized that the smith and Trastion weren't that far apart, age-wise. Cali was a little older, but they were nowhere near ten years apart. "He could use some more friends," she added with a small shrug.

The Lieutenant was distracted from Cali's concern that her mother would be back here soon by Ralph's limited information about Mourgan. "Recovery room," she repeated. "That's good." That meant that his wounds had been treated as well that he had survived until now. And for now that was the best news they could have gotten, Arnyn knew.

It was in this moment that Nell, Mourgan's mother, arrived. Arnyn recognized her easily, given that she had visited Nell's bakery on occasion and it was no secret to her that Nell was Mourgan's mother. It would be different for the baker, though - because when Arnyn had visited the shop as a customer she had not been wearing her uniform, nor did she announce her identity. She had simply been a customer, like so many others. She nodded at Nell's assumptions. "Ms Alarion," Arnyn greeted her gently. She was impressed by Nelladel's composed greetings to her as well as to Cali, given the turmoil she must be facing within. There was no time for anything more than this, as she was already being led away from the reception area. Arnyn's gaze followed the woman until she disappeared from sight.

Arnyn looked back to the receptionist then. "Cali and I both suffer light flesh wounds," she informed him again, "so it is less urgent. We can wait if need be. Really we mostly need for someone to take a good look at it, clean it up properly and see what is needed for it to heal the best it can. No intricate healing required. In fact, if there is no one available at the moment..." Arnyn turned to Cali. "I could already take a look at your leg myself, Cali." She glanced back at Ralph. "If there is a treatment room still available? If not, I can just do it here if you bring me a few things." Her brown eyes turned back to the smithy. "Working in the field does require some knowledge. If you trust me to do it, of course."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Cubanopele @Isolde Alarion

Cali with Arnyn
Reception

The news from Ralph was a great relief to hear. Arnyn spoke aloud the very thing Cali was thinking, upon hearing that Mourgan was in a recovery room. That it should be a good thing. But before she had a chance to say anything, Cali became aware of another lady who had entered in the meanwhile. Her worry and concern had the same feel to it as that which Cali had recently escaped from with her own mother. So, it wasn't much of a surprise to learn that this was Mourgan's mother. It was, however, surprising to Cali to hear her say that Mourgan had spoken of her. She blinked in some surprise. "Really?" She replied quietly, caught off guard by such news, and couldn't help wondering what he might have said about her. Arnyn seemed familiar with her, and greeted her politely, distracting from Cali's surprised reaction.

There were many things Cali might have said to the woman, if she'd had more time, but before she had a chance to think of anything further to say, someone was calling Ms. Alarion away to go see her son. Still slightly at a loss for words, Cali watched her go. It was probably not the best time to make introductions and small talk, so perhaps it was for the best that there hadn't been time for them to stand around and try to chat, or find the right words for this situation. Perhaps Cali would get a chance to more properly meet her, another time. She sighed softly, hoping Mourgan would be alright, before turning back to Arnyn as she heard her suggest that she might take a look at her wound.

The lieutenant's offer was another surprise for Cali. This day seemed filled with them, she thought with inward amusement. "Oh, well, yeah. That's fine with me, if it's alright with everyone else." She answered, glancing toward Ralph as if to check with him, before turning back to Arnyn. "Though I can't offer you the same in return," She added with a slightly apologetic smile. "I've got only a little basic knowledge when it comes to bandaging wounds." Well, technically her 'basic knowledge' was a little more than the average person's would be after all the minor wounds she'd had to tend to with a family-full of blacksmiths, a mother for a nurse, and those silly three boys always getting into some sort of trouble... but she didn't consider her knowledge to be more than basic.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Recovery room
4 days after Midsummer

@Rillewen

“In a week. You would be willing to suffer that for a week?” Linaiwe frowned, though both from his time estimate and the fact he already had a salve to treat the itch showed that the condition was familiar for him.

“Let me take a look and see how bad it is, Trastion,” she said, giving the young Ranger a look that warned him not to hinder her, and then carefully rolled up his shirt to see the damage to his skin. “Hmm. I hope the chamomile will work on it until you get that particular salve that you already use for things like this. Almost looks as if you have been rolling around in a field of nettles.”

The healer did not touch the irritated skin, though she did not pull the shirt back down either, supposing that Eryn would soon be back with the ointment, and she’ll be able to apply it right away.

Master Healer Pele Alarion
Recovery room, with Mourgan and Nell
Last week of July

@Isolde Alarion

The room was quiet, and not much of the busyness elsewhere in the Houses got through; and even though Pele sat unmoving and looked calm, her mind was not so. She could not help but wonder if Relic had been subdued, or if the wily woman had managed to do even more damage. She wanted to go back and see that things were sorted, but at the same time she knew that her place currently was here at the Houses of Healing. A quiet sigh escaped her as she tried to get her mind back to the business at hand and keep it focused.

When Nell entered, Pele let go of Mourgan’s wrist and stood, placing her hand on Nell’s arm. “I am quite sure he will pull through, Nell. I have been monitoring him for a while,” she said as confidently as she could, though there was a tiny sliver of doubt left. “His breathing is steady, the bleeding is stopped… he should come around soon. I hope.”

There would be the whole continuing effort to make sure no infection sets in and making sure there are no effects from the poison, but it should not be hard to control with constant and watchful care. Besides, Pele was sure Mourgan would have the necessary will to live, in addition.

Receptionist Ralph & Healer Linaiwe
Reception
Last week of July

@Arnyn , @Rillewen

“Light flesh wounds indeed. All Rangers seem to say that no matter in what bad shape they are,” Ralph replied to Arnyn with a slight tease in his voice, and placed his palms on the table to push himself up and go see what could be done on behalf of the two women. He did not get far though, when Linaiwe came into reception.

The elderly woman’s wrinkly face seemed to have gained some lively colour from all the constant activity in tending to all those Rangers. Most of them would get by with enough rest and fresh air, though she did take enough time to carefully assess each one for any serious damage.

“Any other patients in need of care, Ralph,” she asked, approaching the receptionist who had stood up. “I just sent the last one I had off to rest.” Her keen eyes took in Arnyn and Cali even as she spoke.

“These two; flesh wounds not burns or smoke,” the receptionist commented, seeing that the healer was already evaluating the condition of the two women. “I take it you are free to look them over?”

“I did say that I had just dismissed my patient,” the healer confirmed, and then addressed Arnyn, noting her insignia. “Is there even a single King’s Ranger left unharmed today, Lieutenant? But come, you both. I will take a look at what you have there.” She set off back the way she had come, expecting her new patients to follow.

Child of Gondor
Nelladel in Recovery Room with
Pele and Mourgan
Last week of July
@Cubanopele

The relief Peles words brought was instantaneous and she let out a breath she’d been holding. She offered Pele a thankful smile. She was sure his recovery would be greatly due to Peles skill and care. “I’m pleased to hear this.” She covered Peles hand with her own and lightly squeezed it but didn’t release it.

She looked over at Mourgan, surveying his bandages then to his resting face. She looked back to Pele. “Your note wasn’t very specific about his injuries. I assume those are stab wounds?” She might not have been a healer but she’d seen her fair share of such injuries thanks in part to her brothers, often having to stitch them up herself.

She let Peles hand go and made her way around to the other side of the bed till she came to a stand near his waist. She looked at the wrappings then lightly moved a sweat dried portion of his hair out from his eyes as most mothers were often to do. She looked back at Pele. “I can stay with him. I’ll send for you if anything changes. Perhaps you should check on your lieutenant and the young Smithy woman. They were at the receptionist when I came in and they looked like they fought more then just a fire.”
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Cubanopele

Cali with Arnyn
Reception

No sooner had Cali declared her agreement with Arnyn's suggestion, when a healer entered and took over. She didn't mind that, she just wanted to make sure she had someone tending to her by the time her mother returned. She nodded as the elder healer instructed them both to come along, and carefully tested her weight on the injured leg to see whether she could manage to follow Linaiwe without assistance, but quickly decided she would certainly need help.

The question about the rangers was addressed to the lieutenant, but Cali couldn't help speaking up with a little smile of relief, "I know of one, at least, who was nowhere near all of this." She declared, but then added, with a touch of amusement, "though I can't guarantee he won't end up getting himself hurt some way or other before the day is done." She rolled her eyes slightly, wondering what Nal and Trev were up to by now. All she knew was they had made plans to do something together off in the Pelennor, or the woods, or something. Just like old times. So they wouldn't learn about the fire until some time later. Hopefully they wouldn't be too panicked when they did return and hear the rumors about the fire.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Reception
Last week of July
@Rillewen
@Cubanopele

Arnyn shook her head when Cali said she could not return the favor. That didn't mean Arnyn could not offer her own assistance. But she appreciated the smithy's instunctual reaction nevertheless. Yet Linaiwe's arrival meant that she could not even start to take a look at Cali's leg yet.

The Lieutenant managed a faint smile at Linaiwe's question, despite the fact the healer's words reminded her of the losses they had taken all on account of... one woman.
"At the very least those who were not present in the Sixth circle are unharmed," she added to Cali's reply, in a deceptively light tone of voice. "Or at least, that would be the hope," she agreed with the smithy, rolling her eyes. "You never know what people get up to in their spare time, after all."

Almost succeeding in convincing herself she was in a more of less positive mood, Arnyn put an arm around cali and offered her support to the smithy. "Come on," she said quietly. "No need to stress it unnecessarily before we can find out what those teeth really did to you." After a few steps, Arnyn gave Cali a sidelong glance. "I had my wound checked on briefly already, after all... But we have no idea what is under that boot of yours. The wolf did not seem to retreat from your leg as quickly as it did from my neck." Arnyn slanted her head. "Maybe it didn't like the way I smelled?" she offered, unable to ban her sense of humor altogether as she attempted to keep Cali from worrying about Mourgan too much as the two of them followed the healer.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Master Healer Pele
Recovery room with Nell and Mourgan / Hallway with Linaiwe, Arnyn, and Cali
@Isolde Alarion , @Arnyn , @Rillewen

"Yes, stab wounds,"
Pele replied hesitantly, and then added in a subdued voice: "Had it been lower and more towards the middle of his chest... it would have been beyond my aid." Her blue eyes looked at Mourgan and then back at Nell. "The Umbarian..." she began to explain, but ended up lacking the words and sighed.

The Umbarian. Hearing that Arnyn and Cali had come to the Houses, both wounded, Pele felt the urgency to tend to them and at the same time to find out what had happened. They would not have come here if there had not been any sort of conclusion - perhaps they had managed to capture Relic and lock her away somewhere safe.

"All right. I'll go and see what can be helped," Pele decided, and offered Nell a faint smile. "If anything, Mourgan should wake up at some point. There's tea on the table if he needs something to quench thirst and for pain relief," she nodded towards the said drink. "But if his breathing gets worse for some reason do fetch me immediately." Now being sure that Mourgan was under the careful watch of his mother, Pele felt free to tend to other duties.

With another small smile, she turned to leave. As soon as Pele was out the door, the smile faded giving way to concern, as she half ran along the hallway and nearly bumped into Linaiwe, when turning around the corner sharply.

"There are already a lot of patients, Pele, no need to add me to their count," the elderly healer scolded her.

Pele raised her hands apologetically. "Sorry, no, I'd rather keep you as a healer," she returned a humorous remark. "However, I will take these two people over, if you don't mind. Special interests..." She looked over Arnyn first, and then Cali, but could not determine the nature of their injuries since they were rather splattered with blood and it was difficult to tell if it was theirs or not.

"Neck, and leg. Meant to take them to room 6," Linaiwe explained, pointing out each woman accordingly, waited for a nod of understanding from Pele, and then turned back towards the reception to see if there were any other newcomers.

"Room 6 it is then. Just around the corner," Pele said to her new patients and opened the door to let them in when they reached the destination after a few steps.

Steward of Gondor
@Cubanopele
|
Room 3
4 days after Midsummer

The healer's question brought a faint frown to Trastion's face. Willing to suffer from it? He would have shook his head if it wouldn't have made him dizzy, but he didn't really want to endure that again so he kept still. "I dunno anything else to do but wait till it clears up." He answered with a shrug of resignation, sighing. As she worked on pulling his shirt up out of the way to get a look at the affected areas, Trastion bit his lip but didn't try to stop her this time. His upper chest, shoulders, and collarbone area were red and irritated from the rash, along with the area where the back of his neck and back met. The line of redness matched up perfectly with the neckline where his uniform shirt had been, which would explain why it hadn't been noticeably visible until he changed shirts.

He closed his eyes, trying to ignore the discomfort from the rash as he tried to hold still and let the healer examine the affected areas. Something occurred to him a moment later. "What else is in that chamomile stuff?" He wondered, hesitant to ask about a specific ingredient, but vaguely worried what it might contain. As he waited for some answer, he was hardly aware of one hand moving to rub at the worst patch of redness on his chest, about where the uniform insignia had been rubbing it a bit throughout the day, and the previous few days.

"Here it is," Eryn declared as she burst into the room again, a little breathless as if she'd run, or at least jogged, down the hall to get back here quickly. Probably because she had done just that, being unsure whether this was anything urgent or not. She held out the jar of chamomile ointment to Linaiwe with a smile, which faded a bit as she noticed Trastion's skin, and how red it appeared. "Oh... What's wrong with him?" She asked in a whisper, concerned as this didn't seem at all likely to be connected with a concussion. "Sunburn?" She guessed, tilting her head curiously. She thought it didn't look quite like sunburn, but it could be that. If he'd stood out in the sun shirtless or something, it would be about the right places he would've gotten burned. Although she overlooked the fact that his face was not burned, nor his arms.

Trastion didn't answer, keeping quiet in hopes that he might not have to answer any more questions.

@Arnyn @Cubanopele

Cali with Arnyn
Last week of July - moving to Room 6

Grateful for the support Arnyn offered, Cali tried to avoid putting any weight on her left leg as she moved along with the lieutenant's help, heading toward the treatment room. It felt like it took ages just to traverse the hallway, but at least she didn't have to try and manage it alone. She nodded slightly at the lieutenant's suggestion that she ought not stress it anymore than necessary. "Yes," She agreed. "It.. hurts more than it did before," She admitted quietly, though she would deny any such thing if her mother came around worrying about her again. She didn't want to cause her mother any distress, and she certainly didn't think the woman was ready to hear the tale about what had happened to cause these injuries. Maybe in a few years, Cali thought with vague amusement. Or decades.

She did find it a little strange that when ranger Kaylin had first asked if she was hurt, Cali had actually almost forgotten she was injured, but now she wondered how she could have thought otherwise. Must be one of those weird adrenaline things, she decided. Putting even the slightest weight on it hurt quite a bit, but she felt sure that it was not broken. She wouldn't be able to walk at all if it was, right? She was fairly sure that was correct.

Cali couldn't help a little laugh though, when Arnyn wondered whether the wolf didn't like her smell. While she knew Arnyn was joking, it was a good distraction from.. several other things. "Perhaps you used too much soap or perfume," She joked back with a small smile, though she sort of doubted that Arnyn was even the type to wear perfume. "It seems she prefers the smell of soot, sweat, and work boots, at any rate," She added with a brief glance down at her boot, but quickly looked back up again. She didn't really want to see it right now. Even though the boot, she could see blood.. but she couldn't tell if it was hers or the others'. And strangely, in the midst of all this, it occurred to her that she was going to need to get new boots. A silly thought perhaps, but she doubted she would want to wear these again.

Before they made it to a treatment room, their little procession was intercepted by Healer Alarion, who nearly ran into the other healer. Cali was glad to see her, since she assumed that must mean that Mourgan was stable enough for now. And the woman didn't appear to be in grief, so that told her it wasn't the other option... unless the master healer was hiding it very well. After a brief discussion between the two healers, healer Linaiwe relinquished her and Arnyn over to Pele's care.

"How is he?" Cali ventured to ask quietly, as she let Arnyn help her around the corner and through the door into the treatment room. "He'll be alright, won't he?" She was anxious to hear something more certain. She'd hardly had time to think about Mourgan once they moved him out of the mess hall, but now.. after what she'd heard at the reception, it seemed promising. But still, she couldn't help thinking back to Ryn and his stab wounds. And Berthion, how he'd been brought to the houses with wounds too great for any healer's skill.

@Cubanopele

Nurse Maeth
Reception - last week of July

Stepping out of another treatment room, Maeth hastened back toward the reception, just missing the other group as they entered one of the rooms. She looked around with some concern to see her daughter was no longer there. "Healer Linaiwe," She greeted the other woman, before turning to Ralph. "Where is my daughter?" She asked, hoping that her absence from the reception meant that she and the lieutenant had already been taken to a treatment room and were under a healer's care. Still, she wanted to know where to find her, and which healer was tending to her. Once she'd been assured that Cali was being cared for, she relaxed a little.

Trying to tell herself that Cali was in good hands and probably would not want her mother hovering around her, Maeth turned her attention to Linaiwe. "Are you available? Apprentice Erynneth would like help with a patient." She said, trying to distract herself from her main concern. "She's been helping with the smoke inhalation patients, but this young man has an injury in addition to the smoke. There's a shard of something in his arm. It looks quite deep and she felt it would be better for an experienced healer see to its removal." She explained, preparing to lead the way to room 8 if Linaiwe had nothing else to do.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Reception
(On the way to) Room 6
@Rillewen
@Cubanopele

When Cali said her leg hurt more than it had before, Arnyn nodded. "That's normal, now the excitement is wearing off." Cali's words about soap or perfume made Arnyn smile amusedly. She could name a dozen rangers who would have went the smelly route rathen than the soap or perfume route... Instead, Cali chose to mock herself. "Ooh?" Arnyn asked, surprised. "Are you saying you're afflicted by smelly feet, miss Dringolben?"

Pele's appearance put Arnyn on edge, as she watched her friend carefully. That she was accepting and using humor was good. No red eyes. Words came easily. Mourgan lived, Arnyn thus deduced rather quickly. Though she was unsure of just how positive or negative his outlook might be. When Pele made it clear she would be the one to look them over, Arnyn decided that Mourgan had to be rather stable and at least had a shot of making it through. And so the Lieutenant followed without any immediate questions. Pele would have more questions for her, than Arnyn would have for Pele. After all - Pele would not be able to deduce much from their presence. Too many variables. Relic might have escaped. She might have been imprisoned. Would Pele even consider the possibility that Relic had died? Arnyn did not know.

If anything... Arnyn was impressed by Pele's composure, shown by her lack of immediate questioning.

It was Cali, in the end, who asked the first question among the three of them, while they were entering treatment room 6. Arnyn led her to the treatment table, only letting go of the smithy when she had taken a seat. "You should probably take a look at her leg first, Master Healer," she offered quietly, though loud enough for Pele and Cali to hear her. "Elanor already had a look at me back in the barracks and it's not severe. The nature of Cali's wounds are yet undetermined."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Recovery room
4 days after Midsummer

@Rillewen

Linaiwe inspected Trastion’s skin carefully and intercepted his hand when he made to scratch one of the particularly irritated looking spots.

“What’s in the stuff?” she repeated his question, doubting that the recruit was particularly interested in intricacies of making a chamomile ointment. “Dried chamomile flowers, oil, water, and wax. It is a very simple version, yet has a rather soothing effect,” she explained, and then asked a question of her own. “What does your skin react to so badly?”

Luckily Eryn was back very soon, and the healer appreciated the swiftness as she took the jar. “No, it is not sunburn. His skin has been in touch with something that irritates it,” she said, and then opened the jar.

“You are not allergic to chamomile, are you, Trastion?” she wanted to make sure, dipping her fingers in the creamy substance and stopping just short from applying it to his skin.

Master Healer Pele Alarion

Treatment room 6, with Arnyn and Cali
Last week of July

@Arnyn , @Rillewen

“Mourgan is doing all right, considering the circumstances,” Pele assured Cali who was keen on expressing her concern when seeing her. “He still has to wake, but his mother is with him and will keep an eye on him while I’m away.” She was sure that this would also answer any questions Arnyn would have had – she had caught her friend observing her closely before she had turned away to lead them to a treatment room.

Unsure what specific treatment might be needed, Pele collected the usual ‘fare’ for treating wounds, including the stitching materials.

“All right. Cali first then,” she agreed, and lifted the smith’s leg slightly to take a closer look. She noted that the blood had seeped through what looked like bite marks in the boot, and she frowned in thought, before taking a quick glance at what she could see of Arnyn’s wound.

“What is this? Were you two attacked by a pack of dogs? These are most definitely bite marks if I have ever seen them,” she questioned, working to remove Cali’s boot as carefully as she could. “Last I checked there were no animals in the barracks… and considering the circumstances I left you two in I feared you would have sustained bad cuts and stab wounds.” She was quiet for a while and then looked back at Arnyn: “Where is that dratted woman? I hope she did not make it off?”

Healer Linaiwe
Reception
Last week of July

@Rillewen

Linaiwe returned Maeth’s greeting with a polite nod, and hastened to speak before the receptionist could. “I did not lose the patients,” she claimed towards him with a merry spark in her eyes. “Pele took your daughter and the lieutenant off my hands,” she said to Maeth. “Room 6 is where they went.”

The elderly healer was not used to lingering about when there was work to be done. “Well, let me see what is that shard all about before many more patients are upon us,” she urged the nurse. “It does sound rather painful and I wouldn’t want the man to suffer needlessly.”

Steward of Gondor
@Cubanopele
|
Room 3
4 days after Midsummer

As the healer stopped his hand, Trastion became aware he had been about to try to scratch the rash, and cringed slightly at himself, annoyed at himself for not having better willpower. He listened as the healer listed the ingredients, and relaxed a tiny bit. Good, nothing that would be a problem. But then she wanted to know what it was he was worried about, and Trastion went quiet, thinking. He wasn't sure what to do, not wanting to risk people learning about this, as it might easily lead certain people toward finding him.

Her question about Chamomile surprised him a little. "Allergic?" He frowned slightly in thought. "No, I don't have problems with chamomile." He answered quietly, slightly confused. "I don't usually get sneezy around flowers or anything like that." He assured her, pretending not to have noticed her asking a question, in hopes he wouldn't have to answer it.

Eryn thought about what Linaiwe said. "Like nettles or poison ivy, or something like that?" She asked, trying to think of things she knew of that caused skin reactions of that sort. "But this wasn't either of those things," She guessed, trying to imagine how he could've gotten poison ivy on his shoulders and chest and not the rest of him, and without doing it on purpose. "So, what caused this?" She asked Trastion, frowning when he neglected to answer Linaiwe.

He turned his head away with a little frown, but didn't protest if the healer applied the ointment. "I.. don't know." He mumbled, hoping that would be enough to get them to stop asking about it.

@Arnyn@Cubanopele

Cali with Arnyn
Last week of July - moving to Room 6

"No," Cali laughed faintly to Arnyn's teasing question. "The boots are, not my feet." She assured the lieutenant with a little amusement. She was a bit reluctant to sit, worried about leaving blood stains on anything she sat on, since most of it was on her back from where she'd fallen backward into the puddle... but it was nice to sit and get the weight off of her leg, so she let Arnyn help her to a seat on the treatment table.

Hearing that Mourgan was alright, Cali relaxed a bit. She nodded, hearing the bit about his mother. "Yes, we saw her when she came through." She mentioned quietly. It was probably good that his mother would be around for him when he woke. She wouldn't have minded her mother so much, if she hadn't made such a terrible sight upon her entry, all covered in blood and all that. So now it was time to let Pele have a look at her leg. And she realized that meant she would have to remove the boot, and that might hurt.

Gripping the edges of the treatment table, she tried to hold still as the healer began to remove the boot. She decided to let Arnyn tell the captain what happened, as that probably fell under 'official report stuff' and Cali was still a little baffled about it all herself. She wanted to avoid looking at her leg, but couldn't resist taking a look once the boot was off, needing to see how bad it was for herself. The thick leather of her boot had helped to protect her skin a bit, but there were still puncture marks and heavy bruising around the bite area. She bit her lip and turned her attention elsewhere, focusing on Arnyn in expectation for what she would answer to Pele's questions.

@Cubanopele

Nurse Maeth, Apprentice Erynneth and Recruit Trastion
Room 8 - last week of July

Maeth nodded and briskly led the way to room 8, where Eryn had been working on some of the smoke victims, after being instructed what to do for them. She was glad to hear that Cali (and the lieutenant too of course) were in good hands, but still had no idea how badly Cali was hurt, nor even how it could have happened. "Were you able to see whether Cali's wounds were..severe?" She asked the healer along the way. Passing by Room 6, she hesitated briefly before forcing herself to move on to show Linaiwe to the other patient, though Maeth made a mental note to check in on Cali in a bit, once she had another moment to do so.

In room 8, Eryn had first had Trastion take a dose of elderberry syrup, along with a little light teasing about him returning so soon. Then she gave him a glass of water with instructions to drink as much as he could. On a nearby table, she had a bowl of steaming water, into which she had put drops of lavender oil, and told him to try to breathe in the fragrant steam as it would help soothe his air passages and strengthen the respiratory tract. While he was sipping on the glass of water, Eryn was fixing a mug of nettle tea for him to drink as well. "The more liquids you drink the better it'll help wash all that smoke and stuff out," She said as she brought him the tea. "This should also help. I've added a little honey to make it taste better."

"Thanks," His coughing had dramatically subsided once he got Cali's mother out of the reception, though he did still have some genuine coughing now and then. He'd drank half the glass of water almost as soon as Eryn handed it to him, having gotten extremely thirsty during all the fire-fighting. He was glad to have something to drink, and sipped on it frequently while she was fixing up the tea. Setting the now-empty glass on the table beside the lavender steam bowl, he accepted the mug. "Nettles though?" He looked up. "Why nettles?"

Eryn paused, trying to remember what it was that one of the healers had told her about nettles, and why it was useful for smoke inhalation, but he had sort of caught her off guard with the question. "Um, they should help. The healer said it would help, anyway." She shrugged, sort of wishing that healer hadn't gotten called away to tend to other patients.

He cautiously sniffed it and tried to decide whether he should drink it or not. "Won't nettles irritate things worse?" He wondered, a little confused by this, and thought Eryn seemed a little uncertain about it.

(sources here)
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Reception
Room 6
@Rillewen
@Cubanopele

Pele's words confirmed what Arnyn had thought - and hoped for. Part of the weight did fall from her shoulders, then, and she half sat down on the treatment table a ways removed from Cali and Pele. The excitement was wearing off indeed. Her neck both itched and throbbed, and she felt a weariness coming over her.
The questions directed at first at both of them and then specifically at Arnyn, took a few seconds longer to register. And then Arnyn noticed both Pele and Cali were looking at her. She blinked, and her friend and Captain's last question begged the first answer.

"No," she replied firmly. "She did not." But the rest of it proved more difficult to say. Arnyn wondered whether Pele would be capable of focusing on Cali's leg while hearing what she had to say. "Relic never left the mess hall, Pele." Slight hesitation made her pause, as she wondered what her friend's response would be. "Her body is still there. Cali and I, we..." Arnyn gestured vaguely. "We had no choice, at the last."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength